The New Surprise by rache
Summary:


Hi everyone just to say this story is finished, there will not be any more chapters. Sorry if that wasn't clear beforeb>



Harry and Ginny are married, with a seven-year old daughter. As Ginny finds out she is pregnant with her second child, memories come back to her, good and bad. The war is over, and everyone feels safe. Shouldn’t they? Strange things are happening, mysterious plots are being formed, putting Harry and his loved ones in danger. Everyone knows he will do anything for the people he loves…Especially Ginny.



Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 52832 Read: 66075 Published: 11/17/05 Updated: 10/18/06

1. Strange beginnings by rache

2. Christmas memories by rache

3. Breaking the news by rache

4. Flashbacks and Surprises by rache

5. Dances and dramas by rache

6. St. Mungos by rache

7. The Thunderstorm by rache

8. Escapology using Air Vents by rache

9. "She's beautiful" by rache

10. Homecoming by rache

11. An unexpected visitor by rache

12. Tea by rache

13. The Death Eaters by rache

14. The Moon and the Mark by rache

15. The Funeral by rache

Strange beginnings by rache
.Disclaimer: I didn't write Harry Potter, etc. JK Rowling gets all the credit :)


Ginny Potter woke up in the dark. She reached for her wand on the bedside table.

"Lumos," she muttered, and her wand-tip glowed alight. Blinking in the light, she pointed her wand at the alarm clock. It told her that it was 4:53 AM.

Ginny did not feel sleepy at all. On the contrary, she felt wide awake. She gazed round at her snoring husband, and smiled. I bet he doesn’t even know he snores, she thought fondly, as she quietly slipped out of bed, her feet finding the fluffy slippers beside her bed.

She pulled her dressing gown on and gently eased the door open so as not to wake Harry. She made her way downstairs to the kitchen, and on the way stopped outside a slightly ajar door marked “Lisle’s Room” in capital pink letters.

Ginny smiled to herself and crept in quietly. The pink walls were still glowing faintly, even in the dark light, now that her eyes had adjusted. Her wand beam fell upon a sleeping, raven-haired girl who was, like her father, snoring a little.

She’s just like Harry, Ginny thought to herself, Except she has my brown eyes, and my nose and smile.

Ginny tiptoed out quietly and walked downstairs to the kitchen. She lit the candles hanging from the wall with her wand and made herself some coffee. She watched the sun rise outside, the sky glowing pinky-orange and red. The birds were singing loudly and a rooster far off could just be heard crowing.

Ginny closed her eyes, smiling to herself. It was quite blissful to be the only one up first thing in the morning. Of course, she loved Harry and Lisle very much when they were awake (and asleep) but it was rather nice to be the only one in the kitchen for once. Lisle was like her father when it came to food. She had a healthy appetite and a sweet tooth, especially for treacle tart.

Just like Harry.

It must have been quite a long time that Ginny had been downstairs because she heard footsteps behind her. She opened her eyes and looked around. It was a tousle-haired, sleepy looking Harry, wearing a Chudley Cannons shirt and tartan pyjama bottoms. The colours clashed, but Ginny understood Quidditch enough to know that you didn’t get between Harry and it.

“Hi sweetheart,” Harry said, advancing to Ginny and kissing her forehead “I wondered where you’d got to. You’re not normally an early riser.”

“I know,” Ginny said, as Harry sat down in a seat next to her, pouring himself some coffee “I just woke up really suddenly and had a craving for some coffee.”

Harry grinned “That must be a record,” he said seriously “I think the earliest you’ve ever woken is eight o’clock.”

Ginny playfully swatted his arm “Yeah well at least I don’t snore like a pig!” she grinned as his face became shocked.

“I do not snore!” he outburst, while Ginny giggled. “Yes, you do,” she protested, and Harry pretended to wrestle her.

“Okay, we both win!” he laughed as Ginny continued to wrestle him, grinning.

“No way! I will win this!” Ginny said, pinning his arms down, playfully. They continued to wrestle, until Harry realised Ginny was too strong for him.

“Okay, fine you win!” he said breathlessly “You haven’t lost your touch I see.”

Ginny laughed and leaned across to kiss him. After they broke off, Harry had a jubilant grin across his face.

“At least I got something out of it,” he smirked as he went over to the sink to put their now empty coffee cups in “Is Lisle packed up for the Burrow?”

Ginny hit a hand to her forehead “Damn it, I’d nearly forgotten we were going today! I think so, she just has a few odd items that need packing.” Ginny glanced at the big charmed clock on the wall, rather like the one at the Burrow. It only had three hands, however, each marked with a different name: Harry, Ginevra and Lisle Potter. Ginny’s mum had given it to them as a wedding present, years ago. Like the clock at the Burrow, it too showed each activity the person was doing at the present time. The hand marked ‘Lisle’ was currently resting on ‘sleeping’.

“And probably a good thing too,” Harry said, watching Ginny and understanding what she was thinking “I love that kid. She’s full of life,” Harry murmured, his eyes shining with pride. Ginny smiled.

“But a bit exhilarating at times you mean,” she said and Harry smiled “She’s like you, Harry, she has a certain, um, talent for trouble. And she has your talent on a broomstick, even on a toy one,” Ginny commented, standing up to put a pan on the stove to make breakfast.

“But she has your beautiful eyes,” Harry said, wrapping his arms round her waist “and your stubbornness and smile.”

Ginny grinned and tapped the pan with her wand. It started cooking some bacon and eggs. Ginny turned round to face Harry and put her arms round his neck, kissing his cheek. Harry pulled flung her downwards in a type of tango so she was near the floor but still in his arms. He kissed her neck while she giggled girlishly.

“Mum, Dad, get a room!” came a little voice behind them. Ginny and Harry resurfaced, and saw Lisle standing in the doorway her hands on her hips, her long black hair tousled. She too wore Chudley Cannon pyjamas, a team the whole family rigidly supported, including her Uncle Ron, who spoiled her to bits. He had bought Lisle her toy broomstick, which she rode every day, hoping to get good enough for a proper one when she was ten.

“Oh, er, hello darling,” Ginny said, her cheeks going a little red. She went over to pick her daughter up and give her a kiss “We didn’t see you there.”

Lisle screwed her face up into a ‘yuck’ expression and made kissing sounds and then pretended to be sick. Ginny blushed, but Harry grabbed Lisle out of Ginny’s arms and turned her upside down, tickling her tummy. Lisle shrieked with laughter.

“Are you being sick, little madam? Are you being a cheeky little monkey? Cheeky monkeys have to be tickled you know!”

He held onto her underarms and spun her round in circles. Lisle shrieked with joy and shouted “Again! Again!” her cheeks pink with excitement.

“No, that’s enough for her,” Ginny said, laughing “She’ll actually be sick this time.”

Harry grinned at Ginny, but put Lisle down all the same. She clung onto his sleeves, too dizzy to walk, her eyes hazy with excitement.

Ginny turned back to the stove which was now sizzling with bacon and eggs, the yolks golden yellow. Ginny Summoned some plates with her wand from the cupboard, and some cutlery. The pan tipped the eggs and bacon onto a plate and Harry took it, putting an egg and two rashers of bacon on each plate. Ginny left the stove cooking some more bacon and eggs, knowing Lisle and Harry would want seconds.

“Accio orange juice!”

A carton of orange juice whizzed out of the larder and landed beside three tall glasses. Ginny charmed the orange juice so that it poured into all three glasses and then set them on the table, next to Lisle, Harry and herself.

“Tanks, mum,” Lisle said thickly, already tucking into her bacon. Ginny rolled her eyes fondly and ruffled Lisle’s hair.

“Lisa what have I told you? Don’t speak with your mouth full,” Ginny said, using the endearing little nickname for the raven-haired child.

“Sorry mummy.”

Ginny began to tuck into her own food, but when she put the bacon in her mouth she felt an odd feeling. It felt like something was missing. She needed something else. Some sauce.

“Do we have any horseradish?” Ginny asked, inquisitively, frowning at the bacon. Harry looked up from the Daily Prophet he had began to read. He looked bemused.

“Don’t you hate it? And besides,” he said, giving a little shudder “on bacon?”

But Ginny had already flicked her wand and said “Accio horseradish!” at the cupboard and immediately a bottle of horseradish came whizzing into her hand. She smiled.

“Now that’s more like it,” she said, tipping liberal amounts onto her bacon and eggs. Harry continued to look very confused, but returned to the Daily Prophet with a shrug and a little cough that sounded very much like “Women”.

Ginny ate with enthusiasm. It tasted much better now.

“Mummy can I have some more?” Lisle whined. Ginny pointed her wand to the stove and an egg and some more bacon flew through the air and landed on Lisle’s plate. Lisle began to eat.

“Nothing,” Harry said, folding the paper up and taking a swig of juice “Except that the Tornadoes won last night, against the Cannons.”

At his words, there was a little noise of protest from Lisle’s seat.

“They CHEATED!!” she protested angrily, looking at the cover of the Prophet, the Cannons flying dejectedly around the pitch in the colour moving photograph, the Tornadoes whooping with joy.

Harry and Lisle began talking about Quidditch while Ginny went back to her egg. She had just finished when she felt her stomach lurch. She suddenly felt rather sweaty and sick, her breakfast rising up her throat. She gulped, shivering. Harry looked away from Lisle round at Ginny, with a concerned look.

“What’s up Gin?” he said, worriedly putting his hand on her arm. Ginny shook her head, unable to speak and bolted from the table and ran all the way to the downstairs toilet as quick as she could. She had only just flung herself down beside the toilet bowl when she began retching.

Ginny hurled her breakfast into the toilet bowl, gripping the sides tightly. When she finally resurfaced, she found Harry at the doorway, looking half-concerned, half-disgusted at the sight of the vomit which Ginny quickly flushed away.

“What’s the matter sweetheart?” Harry said stroking Ginny’s hair as she rinsed her mouth out. Ginny peered at her pale reflection in the mirror, and then to Harry’s emerald eyes, searching her reflection with concern.

“I don’t know,” Ginny said, turning to face him. He put his arms around her middle and squeezed her in a hug.

“You don’t look too good,” he said as they broke apart “why don’t you go lie down for a bit?”

Ginny shook her head “No, I feel a lot better now, I just don’t know what came over me. If Lisa’s finished her breakfast, I can help her tidy her room and pack. Just give me a few minutes to get dressed and have a quick shower.”

Harry kissed her forehead and gave her a reassuring smile as he went back to the kitchen, to clear the dishes away.

Ginny plodded up the stairs, all the way up to her and Harry’s room, where she took her robe off and went into the en-suite bathroom. She flicked her wand at her copper-coloured hair, where it instantly piled onto the top of her head. She slipped her short, black nightgown off and stepped into the shower turned the tap. She washed herself quickly, careful not to wet her hair and then stepped out of the shower, taking a towel from the wicker chair in the corner, enveloping her wet body in it.

Ginny walked out of the bathroom and opened her wardrobe, choosing a pair of very tight jeans and lavender halter-neck since it was warm and summery outside. She opened her drawers and pulled out a black bra and knickers and put them on, slipping the top over her head.

Ginny pulled the jeans on, but they wouldn’t quite fit. She pulled harder, but they still didn’t quite do up round her middle.

Ginny walked over to the full-length mirror by her wardrobe and peered at herself sideways. Her stomach looked a little bigger than normal, but she couldn’t think why.

Maybe I’ve put on weight, she thought, pulling the jeans off, and opting for a pair that were slightly baggier. She walked over to her dresser and put her make-up on before heading down to Lisle’s room. She peeked inside and saw havoc before her eyes.

Harry had unwisely decided to ‘help’ Lisle, by attempting to magic Lisle’s clothes to fold themselves into her bright magenta trunk. Lisle was gleefully jumping around in the clothes, shrieking happily, while Harry stood above all the mess looking confused and agitated. Ginny couldn’t help laughing.

“Honestly, you two,” she chuckled, walking over to the mess, jabbing her wand at the clothes. Instantly, they folded neatly and soared into the trunk, the last sock folding incessantly, as if to show off. Ginny jabbed her wand at it, and it stopped sharpish.

She turned to see Harry looking embarrassed. “Er, sorry,” he said, looking at the floor “I-er got a bit carried away with the jabbing.”

Ginny laughed and ran her fingers through his hair, right from roots to tips, ending her index finger on his chin, where she brought down to meet her lips. Harry straightened up, and fixed his slightly crooked glasses with a grin.

“I’ll be downstairs, getting the trunks sorted,” Harry said, magicking Lisle’s trunk into the air to follow him downstairs.

“Right,” Ginny said turning to Lisle, who was innocently sitting on her bed, sucking her thumb “Time to get dressed, eh?”

Lisle nodded, leaping down from her bed and running over to her dresser. Ginny helped her pull her clothes on, bringing a summery jacket in case it got chilly later on.

“Time to brush your hair,” Ginny said to the little child, who sighed but obediently sat on her bed so her mum could do her hair for her.

Ginny brushed her soft, jet-black curls, untangling any knots, then, scooped it back into two sections and braided each section into a French plait.

“Why don’t you use magic, Mum?” asked Lisle, fidgeting a little.

“Because it looks prettier when I take my time,” Ginny said, softly, turning Lisle round to look at her. The child’s fringe fluttered in her eyes and Ginny brushed it back, securing each side with clips.

“Your fringe needs cutting,” Ginny commented, while Lisle looked in her mirror, fiddling with the ends of the plaits “Perhaps Granny can do it when we go to the Burrow.”

“Will Granny use magic?” Lisle gasped, her eyes shining with delight.

Ginny smiled “If you sit still,” she said, giving Lisle a kiss on the forehead. Lisle gave her mum a hug, squeezing her round the middle. However, she frowned and broke off.

“You feel bigger,” she mentioned and Ginny laughed.

“Silly, I’ve just put on weight,” Ginny said, patting Lisle’s head. “Now, go downstairs to Dad and tell him I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

When Lisle had bounded downstairs, Ginny quickly checked herself in the mirror again. Her usually perfect, slender shape was altered a little, it was quite apparent now to herself. Standing sideways, Ginny noticed again how she looked rather fatter than usual, but she shrugged it off.

I’m just bloated, she thought Big period coming up probably. Come to think of it, I haven’t had a period in a long while now…

Ginny looked at her reflection and snapped back out of her daydream. She shook her head and went downstairs where Harry and Lisle were already waiting by the fireplace. Lisle was positively buzzing with excitement.

“Daddy are we going to Floo?” she uttered, her voice trembling with glee. Harry tickled her, laughing.

“Course we are, you monkey!” he chuckled as Lisle squirmed, a beam on her face. “Just let me talk to Mummy for a minute.”

Harry walked over to Ginny, who rested her head against his shoulder.

“Are you okay now?” Harry asked, as Ginny looked up wearily. She gave a weak sort of smile.

“Yeah, although I can’t say I really care for waking up at 5:00 AM then vomiting my entire breakfast up,” she said, and Harry patted her on the back.

“Cheer up sweetie,” he said. “Let’s go then.”

Harry and Ginny walked over to the fireplace, which had red embers burning low in their grate. Lisle lost all pretence, and was jumping around in feverish excitement. Ginny caught her shoulder, laughing.

“Simmer down now, Lisa,” she said and Lisle stopped jumping. “Right “ Harry, the house is protected with the Secure-Home spell right?”

Harry nodded “Yep, and I’ll Floo last,” he said. “Can you take Lisle and both of your trunks?” Ginny nodded this time.

“It’ll be a bit of a squeeze,” she said, taking the old flowerpot full of green, glittering powder from the mantelpiece. “But we’ll fit. Come on darling.”

Ginny picked up her and Lisle’s trunk and put them in the grate. She then took Lisle’s quivering hand and stepped in the fireplace with her daughter. Taking a hanful of green powder from the pot and handing the pot back to Harry, Ginny squeezed Lisle’s hand tightly and threw the powder into the fire while she shouted “The Burrow!” in a clear voice.

Ginny shut her eyes and clutched at Lisle and the trunks, while the fireplaces revolved very quickly, showing flashes of other witches and wizards’ homes. Finally, with one loud roaring sound, the fireplace stopped revolving abrubtly, and Lisle and Ginny staggered out.

Ginny had a quick look around the kitchen, before pulling her and Lisle’s trunks out of the fire and then sending some sparks by Floo to show Harry they had arrived safely.

Wiping soot off Lisle’s face, Ginny shouted “Hello? Anybody home?”

There was a shriek of delight from the living room and three people came bursting in through the kitchen door, Molly Weasley in the lead.

“Hello you two!! We were wondering when you were coming,” Molly said, giving Ginny and Lisle both tight hugs. “Harry’s on his way I presume?”

“Yeah, with the other trunk,” Ginny said, as her mother cooed over Lisle “Hi Dad, great to see you.”

Arthur Weasley hugged his only daughter and smiled “You’re rather early,” he beamed “Ron and Hermione arrived just half an hour ago, Ron’s upstairs unpacking, and we’re expecting Fred and George and all the others later.”

Ginny broke away from her father and turned to a bushy-haired brunette with eyes to match who stood beaming beside the doorway.

“Hermione!” Ginny said, a smile creeping onto her face as she hugged her former fellow Gryffindor pal “You look fantastic! How are things?”

Hermione smiled “You too! I’ve missed you,” she said. “We’ve got lots to chat about, Ron’s upstairs unpacking at the moment but he’ll be down once he knows little Lisle’s here.”

Ginny grinned “I can’t believe you’re getting married! To Ron! Well, I always knew there was something special there for you two anyway, I think you’ll be very happy together. I can’t think of anyone else I’d like better as a sister-in-law.”

Hermione’s eyes shone. “Thank you Ginny, that is so sweet,” she said, hugging Ginny again, but at that moment Harry appeared in the fireplace, looking a bit dizzy.

“Harry!” Molly cried, running over to give him a tight hug similar to the ones she had given Ginny and Lisle “I’m so glad you’re here!”

“Hi Molly,” Harry said beaming “Thanks for having us.”

“Nonsense, you know it’s as much your home as Ginny’s,” Molly said firmly, letting Harry shake Arthur’s hand.

“Harry!” Hermione said, walking over to hug him “It’s so wonderful to see you and Ginny, and Lisa.”

“Hey Hermione,” Harry said, kissing her on the cheek “Where’s Ron?”

“Upstairs,” Hermione said, now moving towards Lisle to give her a hug. “Hello, sweetie,” she added and Lisle giggled.

“Aunt ‘Mione!” she chuckled, burying her head into Hermione’s shoulder. Hermione grinned down at her little niece-to-be.

“Oh she is so precious,” she told Ginny, kissing Lisle’s forehead “But Ron will steal her from me…”

But her words were cut short when Lisle broke off and shrieked “Uncle Ron!” very loudly and ran towards the kitchen door where Hermione’s tall, red-headed fiancée stood, beaming at Lisle.

“Lisa!!” he exclaimed, picking up the child and swooping her around making Lisa giggle even more “How’s my little niece, eh?”

Ron gave her a kiss and Lisle wrapped her tiny arms around his neck “Uncle Ron,” she smiled, sucking her thumb. Ron walked over to Ginny and Harry, giving Ginny a hug.

“Hi mate,” Harry said, while Ron hugged him “How’s stuff?”

“Not so good,” Ron said, putting Lisle down “Did you hear about the Cannons this morning? Totally shocking performance last night…”

Ginny left the two men discussing Quidditch and Lisle with her grandparents to go over to Hermione.

“Shall we go upstairs?” Ginny offered, while Hermione nodded, levitating Ginny’s trunk for her.

The two women climbed three flights of stairs where they got to a door marked ‘Ginevra’s Room’ in purple sparkly letters, a snitch zooming through the letters.

Ginny pushed the door open and Hermione flicked her wand so that the trunk landed neatly in a corner. Ginny flopped onto her double bed, next to Hermione.

“So, tell me the details about your wedding,” Ginny said, smiling at the brunette. Ginny didn’t know much about the wedding, as Ron had only proposed to Hermione a month and a half ago.“Where will it be?”

“Well, I wanted it to be at the Burrow, and Ron and I agree, we’ve already asked Molly and Arthur, and it’s fine,” Hermione said, with an odd smile on her face “But I wanted to-to ask whether you-I mean, would you like to be my matron of honour?”

Ginny gasped with joy “Oh Hermione!” she voiced delightfully, giving the brunette a hug “I’d be honoured.”

Hermione grinned back “I’m so glad you said yes,” she mused happily. “We’re thinking of having a summer wedding, in June. If it’s now-let’s see, mid-April, that’s about two-and a half months.”
Ginny looked impressed “Wow, that’s quick,” she commented “Harry and I kept changing our minds about when to have it.”

“Yes, well that’s what I thought,” Hermione pondered aloud. “But then Ron said, why wait so long if summer is the best month to have it?”

Ginny smiled “Was the proposal very romantic? I know,” Ginny said, as Hermione sighed. “I know you’ve told me about it already. I just want to hear it again.”

Ginny looked at the diamond ring on Hermione’s hand, and Hermione sighed with happiness.

“Oh Ginny,” she smiled “He was took me to a deserted field for a moonlit dinner, by a lake, and made a picnic,” she recounted as Ginny exhaled softly. “And then we sat by the lake until every star in the sky came out, then he proposed.”

Ginny was overwhelmed.

“I know it’s like the fifth time you’ve told me,” she said, wiping her misty eyes “but it’s so romantic! Who would’ve believed that my idiotic brother would have it in him to be romantic?”

Hermione shrugged “I love him so much,” she said. “But he sure took his time. Seven years at Hogwarts, and then two more until we starting dating.”

Ginny rolled her eyes “Tell me about it.”

Hermione rolled onto her side and propped her head up with an arm “So,” she said “you look great. How’s everything going?”

“Well, it’s kind of weird,” Ginny said, remembering the odd morning she had started off with. “I might be coming down with something of the sort, I woke up really early, craving horseradish. Then after breakfast, I threw it all up.”

Hermione’s eyes widened a little. “Hmm…” she mumbled.

“And then,” Ginny continued “I tried to get my really tight jeans on and then wouldn’t fit around my waist. I can’t remember putting on weight, I always try to eat sensibly.”

Hermione looked pensive for a few moments before speaking.

“Well, haven’t you thought that it could be something else rather than, I dunno, putting on weight?”

“Well that’s the weird thing, I can’t think why all of a sudden this would be happening, unless I was…” Ginny began, but then stopped all of a sudden, a new possibility hitting her like a stone.

What if I’m…

“Hermione,” Ginny said quietly, “you don’t suppose I’m pregnant, do you?”

“Well it’s logical, isn’t it?” Hermione reasoned, getting up to pace around. “Cravings…Morning sickness...It all fits doesn’t it?”

“Yeah, but we don’t know for sure, do we?” Ginny said, standing up, “It could just be a period coming up.”

“Well, when was the last time you actually had a period?” Hermione stated.

Ginny looked thoughtful. “Well now you mention it, I do remember thinking it was a long time since I last had one.”

“How long?” Hermione asked frowning.

“Well, this is the fourth month that I haven’t had one yet.”

Hermione gaped “Four months?! Ginny, it’s obvious you’re pregnant!”

Excitement began bubbling throughout Ginny’s veins “Oh this is so wonderful!” she shrieked, hugging Hermione, who was grinning widely. “When shall I tell Harry and the others?”

“Well hang on, girlfriend,” Hermione said quickly. “You don’t actually know if you’re pregnant or not yet. You need to take a Pregnancy Potion, like you did with Lisle.”

“You mean the ones where you put the spell they give you on some potion and then five minutes later the potion turns blue if you’re not pregnant and red if you are?” Ginny asked. Hermione nodded.

“We’ll take it after lunch,” Hermione said, looking at her watch. “Because if I am not mistaken, Fred and George and all the others are arriving soon, it’s nearly eleven o’clock.”

Ginny walked down with Hermione, feeling very excited.

I hope I am pregnant, she thought.


After a delicious lunch made by Molly and eaten by Arthur, Harry, Lisle, Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Fred, George, Fleur, Bill and their seven year old daughter Coralie and the cook herself, Hermione and Ginny asked if they could be excused form the table.

“Of course, dears, just be back in time for pudding,” Molly said, fondly. Hermione and Ginny assured her they would and headed for the bathroom.

“All right, I know that Mum’s got a spare potion here somewhere,” Ginny said, entering the bathroom with Hermione and locking the door. “She keeps them for emergenc-aha!”

Ginny grasped a small bottle from the medicine cabinet she was rummaging around in. It was rather dusty, Ginny noticed as she wiped off some dust from the label. Elite! Pregnancy Potions, it was marked.

“Hermione this is what we’re looking for,” Ginny said as Hermione stopped looking through the cabinet. Hermione took the small bottle, eyeing it.

“Right, well it seems all right to me,” she said looking at the back of it. “Just follow these instructions. First, take a glass of any material,” Hermione read out, picking up an empty plastic cup and waving it around “and then pour potion to fill three-quarters of the cup.”

Ginny took the cup from Hermione and poured the potion in. It was a dull, navy colour.

“Ok, now it says to perform this wand action,” Hermione said, showing Ginny the action printed on the back of the bottle “and then say the incantation.”

Ginny waved her wand in the complicated action and said the incantation. The potion hissed and went brilliantly silver for a few seconds then returned to it normal navy colour, swirling slightly.

“Right, er, now you have to add a sample of your urine,” Hermione said, while Ginny nodded, producing a small glass phial with her wand.
“Right, er, can you look away Hermione?” Ginny asked, as Hermione turned her back while Ginny made the sample.

“Done,” Ginny said, adding the contents of the phial into the potion. Hermione turned back to face Ginny.

“Ok, now we have to wait for five minutes,” she said, as the potion fizzed and went very bright yellow and then returned to its’ normal navy colour, swirling fast now.

Ginny could feel the tension as Hermione stared at her watch solidly as the seconds ticked. It was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Her heart thudded, and she remembered when she’d gone through the same process when she was pregnant with Lisle. She had been seventeen at the time, it had been her last year at Hogwarts…

****
Ginny stared at the potion with amazement and fear, Hermione holding the cup for her, in the exact same bathroom at the Burrow. It was Christmas, and Harry was downstairs with Ron, unsuspecting that he was soon to be a father.

“No,” Ginny sobbed, as Hermione hugged her tightly. “Why? Why does it have to happen to me? I can’t be a mum yet, Hermione!”

Ginny sobbed harder, letting out the tears of frustration that had caused her to turn to Harry in the first place, making her…like this.

“What am I going to do, Hermione?” Ginny asked the worried looking former Gryffindor, “I can’t go back to Hogwarts now! Not halfway through my seventh year, they’ll notice I’m pregnant, and then what will I do?”

“You have to tell Harry,” Hermione said firmly, holding Ginny’s shoulders. “He’ll want to know from you, no matter how bad he takes it.”

Ginny felt scared and lost. Her parents would kill her, Harry would freak, Ron would go insane at Harry despite being his best friend, and all the people at Hogwarts would judge her when they saw the bump.

Harry will pull further away from me if I tell him, Ginny thought to herself. And I don’t want him to, not when we became so close, especially last week…where it all started…


“Ginny?” Hermione said, weakly. Ginny opened her eyes, lost in the flashback. Reality came flooding back to her.

“Is it done?” Ginny said excitedly, checking the potion. It was still navy.

“Almost,” Hermione said, checking her watch “Ten seconds…nine…five…three…two…one…”

The potion hissed and turned bright blue.


A/N: Thanks for reading! It’s my first fanfic, and I hope you like it. By the way, don’t worry, all will be resolved in the next chapter, so keep reading and please review! 
Christmas memories by rache
A/N: thank you all so much for your reviews!! It really helped, I’ll be sure to look out for punctuation mistakes in this chapter…Oh yes and another thing, Ginny returns to an old memory in this chapter, so if she’s all of a sudden back at Hogwarts, don’t be confused, she’s just in a memory. :)


Disclaimer: you know it all..I didn’t write Harry Potter



Ginny stared, unblinkingly at the potion until her eyes watered. She blinked and looked up at Hermione, who looked surprised, her mouth hanging open.

“Well there you go,” Ginny muttered, turning away to wipe her eyes. “I’m not pregnant.”

“No way, there must be a mistake,” Hermione said firmly, as Ginny turned back to face her. Hermione was holding the bottle closer to her face, so she could see the instructions better in the light. “Are you sure the potion isn’t out of date or something?”

“Hermione, I’m not pregnant,” Ginny gasped, her face shining with tears now. “I’m sorry…I’m not trying to be emotional.”

Hermione pulled Ginny into a soft hug, stroking her hair. “You have every right to be emotional. I’m sorry for you…but don’t take it too seriously yet. The potion could easily be wrong.”

Ginny knew Hermione was only trying to make her feel better, but she nodded anyway. Suddenly there was a loud hammering on the door and they heard Ron’s voice.

“Are you two ladies still in there? Because Mum says pudding’s on the table.”

And they heard his footsteps walk away, until they died out. Hermione pulled away from Ginny and studied her, concernedly.

“You think you’ll be all right?” she asked and Ginny nodded again.

“Yeah, pudding sounds good,” Ginny said as Hermione opened the door. “But you go on and tell them I’ll catch up.”

Hermione looked quizzical, but she walked off anyway, leaving Ginny alone in the bathroom.

Ginny picked up the cup of potion from the side of the sink. It had stopped glowing, it was still ever blue. Ginny studied it carefully before pouring the contents down the sink hole, where she watched the blue liquid swirl round in a whirlpool getting smaller and smaller in it drained away completely.

She sighed, letting the truth sink in. I’ve still got my precious little Lisle. And Harry, she thought to herself as she went to join the others for pudding.

*****

The afternoon passed without much happenings, aside from a Quidditch game in the orchard, Ron, Harry and Fred against George and Bill, who complained because their team only had two people. Lisle flew a long way underneath the on her toy broomstick, begging them to let her play, until Ron and Fred took pity on her and let her ride Harry’s Firebolt (with Ron holding her tightly) ten feet up into the air. Lisle’s eyes sparkled with delight, a ear-to-ear grin of delight on her little face.

Evening came, with another magnificent dinner cooked by Molly (with Fred and George’s ‘help’). They ate outside, on two long tables, now needing more space since the arrival of Charlie and his wife, Evie, and their son Jack, that afternoon. Percy, who had recently only just regained his friendship with Harry and the rest of the Weasleys, came with Penelope and their sons Pete and Michael. The table was now full of chatter and sleepy yawns while Jack, Michael and Pete ran around chasing gnomes, while Coralie and Lisle sat under an old apple tree, tickling Fleur’s cat, Honey.

Ginny looked at the red-streaked orange horizon, watching the trees rustle in the light breeze. Off in the distance she could see the tiny village, several miles away. It was dusky there, but Ginny could make out the odd glow of lights from the houses and passing cars. She focused her attention back to the table where she caught snippets of people’s conversations. Molly and Fleur were arguing politely about Bill’s hair, which still remained long, red and in a ponytail. He sat in between the two ladies, staring into space, his eyes glazed while they babbled on.

“It would be so much nicer short, though,” Molly coaxed Fleur, who shook her head.

“I am thinking it eez better zis way,” she purred in her feminine, French accent, tossing her silvery hair over her shoulder. “Ee is so ‘andsome eet would be a shame to cut it…Eet has taken eem years to grow.”

Fleur kissed her husband on the cheek, but Molly continued to look slightly disgruntled as she finished the last of her custard tart off.

Further down the table, Ginny could see Hermione, Percy and Arthur nearby. Arthur seemed very interested in his chocolate mousse but Percy, however, was in a heated discussion with Hermione about elf-rights.

“Hermione, house-elves aren’t like humans,” he said, his glasses slipping down his nose in agitation, as he wrung his hands. “They want to look after us, it’s their nature to…”

“That’s no reason to exploit them!” Hermione exclaimed, her eyes flashing dangerously. “You do realise they aren’t paid one tiny bit and they don’t get pensions or anything when they get too old to carry on? It’s sick and disgusting how wizards and witches treat them, the Ministry won’t listen either…”

Ginny grinned, and her eyes scanned down the table, finding Harry, Ron and George roaring with laughter at a joke Fred had just told. Ron was red in the face, holding a Firewhisky in his hand, his ears turning scarlet.

Quietly, so nobody noticed, Ginny slipped off without catching anyone’s attention. She went into the nearby field, which was out of view from the table.

At the end of the field was a wooden swing set, with only one swing in it. As children, Ginny remembered how she and Ron constantly fought over it, ending with her punching Ron, giving him a black eye. Since then they had both been banned from it.

Ginny sat in the swing now, swinging in gently with her feet on the ground. She looked over at the sun-streaked sky and a feeling of happiness washed over her as she heard faint laughter coming from the silhouetted table. It was dusk now, she could see the birds flocking into their nests in the high trees. Even the sweet smell of roses and honeysuckle could not erase the constant thought in her head.

I’m not pregnant.

Knowing those words six and a half years ago would have been pure relief and joy for Ginny, but now…she couldn’t stop thinking about it. How excited she’d been at the thought of another pregnancy. She’d wanted more children, of course she did, now she had a family of her own. True, Lisa was a handful sometimes but Ginny loved her more than life in itself…and Harry. There were no words to explain what she felt for him. He’d been there for her through thick and thin. He’d saved her life when she was only eleven. He’d been there for her when Lisle was born. They weren’t even together then, but he'd still made it to see her daughter in the end. And he’d proposed to her. He was like a sparkling stone against the gravel, she loved him in so many different ways and for so many different reasons it was hard to know all of them.

All the memories came tumbling back to Ginny in a rush. Lisle’s birth…her own wedding…Hogwarts and being pregnant with Lisle…

Ginny lost herself in this particular memory, cherishing every little detail, remembering every little fact. She was back at Hogwarts, almost seven years ago…


It was Christmas at Hogwarts, Ginny was standing on the steps in the Entrance Hall with her fellow seventh years. Hermione, Harry, Ron, Fred, George and her parents were coming to stay at Hogwarts for one night and the next day they were all going back to the Burrow together for the rest of the holidays. They had gotten special permission from Professor McGonagall, the new Headmistress since Dumbledore’s death, along with some other parents as well.

Ginny ran her fingers through her hair nervously. She couldn’t wait to see Harry. She hadn’t seen him since the start of term, and all he’d done was wave her goodbye at King’s Cross as she got on the Hogwarts Express.

They had been togethery briefly in the sixth year, but that had ended the same day of Dumbledore’s funeral. He’d told her why he had to fight Voldemort before they could get back together. He was still fighting.

Ginny knew she still loved him. Hadn’t she always? A tiny part of her had always felt something slightly deeper than just a crush for him. She knew he’d thought her silly as a little girl, liking famous Harry Potter, but now she had matured. She knew him for who he was. She was still waiting for him, even though she flirted and sometimes kissed other boys, just to bury the pain inside her heart. She knew he’d come back for her, one day, when it was all over. The other boys were just like a warm-up, they didn’t really mean anything.

The great, oak doors opened and Ginny’s heart fluttered when she saw him, standing out from all the red-heads of her family.

“Ginny darling!” shrieked Molly bounding over to her, the others following suit. Ginny hugged her mum, grinning.

“Hi Mum, Dad,” she said, hugging Arthur. “Hermione,” she hugged the others in turn. “Ron-Fred-George…”

She reached Harry and there was an awkward pause as she held her arms out for a split second but compromised with a handshake.

“Hi Harry,” she said, breathlessly. He looked at her, his green eyes sparkling like emeralds. She wanted to kiss him again, so badly, but she knew she couldn’t. She forced a smile on her face instead. Harry did likewise, but she could tell it was false.

“How’s the Quidditch team?” Harry asked, conversationally. Ginny had been made Quidditch Captain that year.

“It’s ok,” Ginny replied, as the others began discussing what had changed. Ginny was grateful for this; they all knew about the situation between herself and Harry and there were often embarrassing silences when the two met up. “Same old stuff. We’ve got a pretty good team this year. The Creevey brothers are actually all right at Quidditch.”

Harry grinned “Wow, who would’ve guessed? Bet they ask you for your autograph all the time, because of your famous Bat-Bogey hex abilities.”

Ginny blushed. “But the new Seeker is nowhere near as good as you,” she blurted out. “Danielle Smith, fourth-year. She’s always surrounded by millions of giggling girls and she tried to use the Snitch as a mirror once, to reapply her lipstick.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “She sounds worse than that Lavender Brown.”

Ginny nodded. “Well she’s not bad,” she said fairly. “She’s alright when she’s not messing about, but she doesn’t realise it’s a serious game, Quidditch.”

Harry opened his mouth, perhaps to start a long rant about the seriousness of Quidditch, but he was soon cut off by Molly, who stepped forward.

“So Ginny, do show us round,” she said, putting her hand on Ginny’s shoulder. Hermione and Ron tuned into the conversation, casting glances of nostalgia and fondness around the Entrance Hall. “I should hope sometime tomorrow, if we haven’t any time now.”

Ginny nodded again. “Yeah, I can show you lot round the Castle and Grounds after breakfast, unless we split up into groups of two or three.”

Fred and George nodded vigorously at this, cracking grins of glee.

“Yeah, that’s a good idea,” said George, casually. “We know this place like the back of our hands.”

Molly turned to look at them, her eyes narrowed, her mouth a thin line.

“Now you two had better not be up to trouble,” she hissed, sternly.

Fred and George looked mortally offended.

“We’re twenty-one!” Fred shot back, looking incredulous. “What could we possibly get up to?”

“Oh I know you two better than the back of my own hand,” Molly sighed, exasperatedly. “You’ll be selling joke-shop items, or-or blowing up toilets…”

“Oh yeah, that was in our third-year,” Fred said, with a reminiscent smile. “We almost managed it…but then Harry practically got killed saving the Stone, so we decided to only take the toilet seat off.”

Molly opened her mouth to tell Fred how unhygienic and horribly disgusting that was, when a brightly pink water balloon exploded over her head.

Drenched and livid, she looked up. Peeves the Poltergeist was floating a few feet above her head, his arms full of brightly coloured, bulging water balloons. He gave a mad cackle and pelted them all with the balloons, watching them duck and shriek.

“PEEVES!”

Professor McGonagall came skidding forward in the puddle of water now surrounding Peeves’ victims. She looked up at him, her square glasses flashing furiously.

“Peeves, get down at once,” she barked up at the chuckling poltergeist. He obliged, but aimed his last shot at McGonagall, drenching her too. He floated off cackling as McGonagall swore under her breath.

“I’m very sorry,” she said dryly, waving her wand so that hot air shot out of it, drying them all off instantly. “He’s completely uncontrollable sometimes. Anyway, er, welcome back. I hope you have an enjoyable visit. You will be staying in the Gryffindor dormitories, as most people have already gone home for the holidays. But I believe it is time for dinner in the Great Hall.”

Dinner was the usual Hogwarts feast, and it tasted wonderful. Ginny couldn’t get Harry out of her mind though. Even when he passed her the salt and their arms touched, she could feel her insides squirm and her cheeks go warm.

After dinner, they went up into Gryffindor tower. Molly, Hermione, Ron and Arthur all wanted an early night. Harry, Ginny and the twins remained the only ones left in the Common Room until half-past nine, when Fred and George admitted they were tired too, and went up to bed.

Harry and Ginny were the only ones left.

There was a very long silence, while Ginny sat in her favorite old armchair tight by the fireside, her quill poised above her Transfiguration essay for the holidays. She briefly looked up to see Harry, curled up on one side of the sofa, staring into the fire, his eyes misted behind his glasses.

Ginny didn’t know what to think. Her immediate reaction was to go and kiss him; kiss it better, she had wanted to kiss him for so long now she found it hard to think. Instead she put her quill and walked slowly to the sofa, kneeling before him, a look of genuine concern in her dark brown eyes.

Harry seemed to take a while to come out of his reverie, before he took his glasses off and polished them, awkwardly. Ginny didn’t often see him without his glasses. In her fifth year when they had been going out, she used to take them off and place them on her own nose, and they would both chuckle when they saw her reflection. The bridge of his nose was pink from where the glasses had rubbed.

“I’m sorry Ginny,” he muttered, putting his glasses back on, his eyes now less glazed. Ginny looked into them now, two sparkling emeralds. She wanted him back even more, but she hid her feelings once again. Instead she placed a soft palm on his knee.

“Sorry for what?” she said gently, as he looked at her. She could feel her heart beating in it’s ribcage, pounding for those remarkable eyes.

“I know it’s my fault every time I see you,” he whispered, his eyes growing soft. “I’m the one who’s making you unhappy. I can see it in your eyes, the old flame has been extinguished. I feel like a thousand knives stabbing me all at once would not be big enough a punishment for what I have done to you. I left you Gin, who does that to someone whom they claim to love?”

Ginny felt as though the wounds buried deep inside her had come out into the open. Half of her wanted to cry onto his shoulder the whole night, feel comforted by his touch, but the other half wanted to scream out the pain she had felt that past year she’d been alone, trying desperately to forget him, but she couldn’t. She simply sat staring at him, her brown eyes misting over with tears.

“I never told you before,” he continued, moving closer forward, taking her hand. “I deeply admire you. I love you. I love everything about you, I can’t imagine what things would be like if we didn’t end up together in the end.”

“So why can’t we be together?” Ginny asked, hot tears spilling onto her cheeks. Harry wiped them away, carefully with his index finger.

“You know why, Ginny,” he said, looking at his feet. “I’m so, so sorry. But it has to be this way. I hate myself for making you unhappy, but I have to protect you. If you got killed, I would die inside.”

Ginny looked at him while he turned his gaze back up to meet hers. She could feel his mind working, and he could read hers. Before they could tell whet was happening, they kissed.

Ginny felt her heart leap inside her ribcage. She knew why she couldn’t be with him, for now anyway, but she didn’t care. She cared too much about the moment. Harry kissed her back, but not for long.

“Ginny,” he gasped as he pulled his lips away from hers. “You know why I broke up with you. This can’t happen.”

“You kissed me back,” she whispered, moving forward, her eyes gleaming with tears. “I know you want to kiss me.”

Harry looked at her for a long moment before he grabbed her waist, pulling her up while he kissed her. They were so frantic because it was their only night together until they would be reunited that they forgot the most important thing.

The Contraceptive Charm.


******

“Ginny?”

Ginny snapped out of her reverie, blinking round into her mother’s face. It was dark now, all the stars had come out. She had barely noticed, she was so engrossed in her own memory.

“Hi mum,” Ginny muttered, creaking the swing forward very slowly with her feet. Molly sat down on the nearby wooden outdoors chair, used for watching the children when they had been younger. Everyone had gone in now; raucous laughter could be heard coming from the house.

“You looked preoccupied,” Molly said, looking at the young woman before her now, with flaming red hair and it suddenly hit her how beautiful and grown-up she looked, deep in thought. She felt a sudden surge of pride for raising that grown-up beauty before her.

Ginny sighed. “I was just reflecting over some things. I’m-I’ve just had some bad news.” The words came tumbling out of her mouth before she could stop herself.

“What is it dear?” Molly asked, inquisitively, leaning forward in her chair.

“Well odd things have been happening to me this morning,” Ginny said, brushing a few stray strands of hair out of her face. “I’ve put on weight for sure, and I threw up my breakfast this morning. Harry didn’t really understand, he thinks I’ve got a tummy bug, but I took a Pregnancy Potion this afternoon, to be sure.”

Molly nodded. “Yes, I know what you mean. And?”

“Well, it-it turned out to be negative,” Ginny whispered. “And I really had my hopes up.”

“I know what you’re going through dear,” Molly said, tenderly. “Your father and I went through the same thing before we had Bill. I found out I was pregnant, and we were thrilled. The Healer at St. Mungo’s told us we were going to be having a girl, but then at five and a half months I lost it.”

Ginny felt stunned. “I never knew that. Wow, I could have had a big sister.”

Molly nodded sadly. “Yes, it was quite devastating at first, but then we got past it. Your father and I, because a year later, I got pregnant again, and nine months later we had Bill,” Molly said, smiling. “We were so ecstatic, we were happily married, we had the baby we’d always wanted, we had a lovely house with lots of room for more, what more could we want?”

Ginny felt quite overwhelmed. She knew her parents had always been very close, but she’d never really thought about them as newlyweds with a tiny baby. She felt a sudden gut feeling telling her that things might be different from what she now assumed.

Maybe Hermione is right, she thought, maybe the Potion is wrong.

Molly stood up and kissed her daughter on the forehead and left, smiling to herself. However, Ginny did not get up. Even though it was dark, she stayed there, under the twinkling stars, rocking the swing gently with her feet. She stayed there for what seemed like hours, until she shivered and then yawned. Smiling to herself, she got up and made her way back indoors, the stars still twinkling as she did so.




A/N: thanks for reading! I’ll try update soon again, but please leave a review if you haven’t already, it really does cheer me up!! :) ;)….. I’ll try and make a more interesting plotline, I have a half-formed twist up my sleeve, but bear with me for a while!
Breaking the news by rache
A/N: Hi people! I’m back! Sorry it’s taken me so long to update, I’ve been trying to re-write chapter three, since it got deleted in the queue. I decided I didn’t like how my first chapter three was written, so I completely re-wrote it, and I think it’s a lot better this time. Happy reading, and please pretty please leave a review, it only takes two seconds! Thank you for reviewing last time!






Ginny woke the next morning, and found Harry had already gotten up, so she slipped her dressing gown on, and went downstairs to the kitchen, where she could hear the rest of the family.

Ginny pushed the door open to see Hermione, Ron, Lisle, Harry, Fred, George, Arthur, Percy and Molly all sitting round the table, chattering. Lisle sat next to Fred, who was showing her a Reusable Hangman. Lisle laughed with delight, and clapped. Hermione sat next to Ron, and they seemed to be arguing over what type of fish they should eat at their wedding.

“Ron, honestly, nobody eats haddock at a wedding! It’s just not the sort of thing you can serve.”

“Well what should we eat then?” asked Ron, running his fingers through his hair exasperatedly.

“Well, I’ve always thought salmon is a more elegant choice…” Hermione started to say, but then saw Ginny.

“Hi Ginny!” she said, beaming. “Now, tell Ron what type of fish you ate at yours an Harry’s wedding.”

Ginny smiled. “Salmon.”

Hermione nodded appreciatively, as Ron rolled his eyes. “And at Fleur and Bill’s?”

“Salmon,” Ginny repeated, smiling wider.

Ron cursed softly, but Hermione continued to beam. “And your parents’ wedding?”

“Ditto,” Ginny replied, indifferently.

Hermione turned her smile towards her fiancée, who had his head in his hands, elbows against the table.

“So, salmon it is,” Hermione concluded without waiting for Ron to speak. “Now, Ginny, do join us for some porridge.”

***

After everyone had woken up and breakfasted, Molly arranged for them all to go into Diagon Alley for the morning. Hermione, Ginny, and Lisle were all going to get their dresses for the wedding fitted, and Molly was coming to help, as she already had her outfit planned.

“The boys, I’m sure, can go off and be manly for a few hours,” Molly told Hermione and Ginny with a wink. “Or I guess they could get their tuxes sorted out.”

“Tuxedos? Nah, we’d prefer to got to the Leaky Cauldron for a drink or two,” grinned Ron, who had snuck up behind them. Molly nodded.

“Very well, but the wedding is only in less than three months, so you’d better have some idea of what you’re going to wear, unless you want me to get out your old dress robes from your fourth-year,” Molly said, as Ron’s grin slid off his face like Stinksap.

“Alright, we’ll go to the place after we’ve had a drink,” Ron said.

And he walked off.

They travelled by Floo Powder to get there, and once they had arrived in Diagon Alley, they told Ron, Harry and Arthur that they’d meet up with them later. The men headed off for the Leaky Cauldron first, and Molly, Hermione, Ginny and Lisle set off for Madame Malkins’.

As they arrived at Madame Malkins, Ginny held the door open for Hermione and Molly, but noticed that Lisle was missing. Scanning the nearby shops, she noticed that a broomstick shop was opposite to Madame Malkins. Rolling her eyes, she called to the little raven-haired child.

“Lisle!! Come over here, you can have a look at that later.”

Reluctantly, Lisle walked over to the door her mum was holding open for her, and walked in. Madame Malkin looked delighted to see them.

“Ah, it’s Molly Weasley, isn’t it?” she smiled looking at the four. “And the bride-to-be, Hermione Granger, got your dress here. Ginny Weasley, and your daughter Lisle!”

Lisle couldn’t help but smile angelically.

Attention seeker, thought Ginny smiling to herself.

“She is a precious one,” said Madame Malkin, beaming down at Lisle. “But I hear you need some dresses fitted? My, my, wedding bells certainly are ringing! Why it was only a week ago Luna Lovegood came in here getting fitted for her own wedding dress. She’s marrying Neville Longbottom, isn’t she? They’ll make a fine couple, I’m sure, with plenty of children! And I’m sure you and your husband-to-be Ron will no doubt want a whole generation of red-heads,” she added to Hermione, who blushed, nevertheless smiling all the same.

“Anyhow, I have your dresses right here, I just need to make a few adjustments to them after you try them on,” Madame Malkin said, indicating a some wrapped up garments that were hanging on some coat hangers. “Now, who shall we have? Would the bride-to-be like to go first?”

Hermione stepped forward, as Madame Malkin produced a coat hanger with a long dress, wrapped up to protect it. She unsheathed it from it’s cover, and the three women gasped.

It was snow-white and beautiful. The bodice was strapless, with small embroidered sequins over the chest, forming a sort of triangle. The rest of it was silk, and the skirt was full and there were more sequins on the hem. It was perfect.

“Well, Ms. Granger?” Madame Malkin said, smiling at their faces, trying to hide her obvious smug look. “It did take a long time, I assure you, but I’m sure it will be worth it on you.”

“I’ll go try it on,” said Hermione in a hushed voice.

“Oh, and take these as well,” said Madame Malkin, handing Hermione some white, heeled shoes and a veil.

She took them and headed for the changing cubicles. A few moments later, she peeked her head round, smiling widely.

“Ok, close your eyes,” she said, excitedly. Everyone obeyed.

“Now open,” Ginny heard her say, and she obliged. Everyone gasped again.

Ginny’s mouth fell open. Hermione looked so beautiful and white; the dress fitted her like a glove already. The skirt swished when she twirled to show the back of it, and the veil went all the way down her back, a headdress of pink, silk roses on her head. The little heels were white and silken too, but a size too big. Ginny could not help but feel a twinge of envy; a small part of her wished she could have her wedding again. A small part of her wanted to relive the day she had married Harry, the happiest day of her life, other than when she had given birth to Lisle…

“Gin? What do you think?”

Ginny snapped back to attention. Hermione was looking at her anxiously, waiting for a reply. Ginny’s face split into a huge grin, as she hugged her.

“It’s beautiful,” Ginny said, as she pulled her arms away from Hermione, who looked happy. “It really suits you. You look absolutely radiant. Ron is a very lucky man.”

Hermione smiled sincerely at her best female friend. “Thank you,” she said. “I’m so glad you like it. Molly, what do you think?”

Molly stood there, a handkerchief to her sparkling eyes. “Hermione, you look absolutely lovely. I’m so happy for you and Ron. I can’t think of anyone who is better for him than you.”

Hermione’s eyes were filled with of emotion at this.

“May I hug you? I don’t want to spoil the dress,” Molly added. Hermione grinned, and pulled both Ginny and Molly into a big hug.

“But do be careful with the dress!” Madame Malkin warned, looking apprehensively at the gown, her eyes scanning it for creases. Hermione pulled away from them quickly.

“Go on Ginny, you next,” she grinned at her. Ginny stepped up and Madame Malkin handed her two garments on coat hangers, one considerably smaller. Both had protective covers on.

“I think your daughter will need help with the zip at the back,” Madame Malkin said, handing her two pairs of shoes on top of the garments.

Ginny nodded and walked into the changing room with Lisle. When she had pulled the curtain, she unsheathed the dresses. They were both pale blue, and silken. Ginny ran her hand lightly over her dress. It felt like water; it was so smooth.

Setting it aside, Ginny helped Lisle into her smaller dress, which had thin straps and a sash. It had no sequins, but the material shimmered brilliantly. Lisle looked very cute really, as she put her pale blue ballet shoes on.

“Wait for me,” Ginny told Lisle, as she unzipped her own dress. Lisle sat down on the seat in the cubicle. This was her second time as a bridesmaid. Her first time was when she was four, at her mum and dad’s wedding. She had been so cute; all the guests thought so.

Ginny zipped up the side of her dress, and peered at herself in the mirror. Like Hermione’s, it was strapless, but the colour matched Lisle’s. It accentuated her long, slim legs, and her small waist.

Frowning slightly, Ginny turned sideways to get a side view of her middle. Her stomach was definitely protruding more, yet she didn’t feel bloated. It was more of a…bump.

But the Potion told me I’m not pregnant, Ginny thought to herself. So why am I fatter?

“Can you come out now?” called Hermione from the other side of the cubicle.
“Oh, yeah,” Ginny slipped he shoes on quickly. “Close your eyes now.”

Stepping out of the cubicle with Lisle, Ginny saw they all had closed eyes. She smiled.

“Now open.”

Molly, Hermione and Madame Malkin obeyed, and a collective “wow!” passed through the room. Lisle, enjoying the attention, gave a little pirouette, her arms raised above her head.

“Oh she’s still so adorable!” Hermione said, scooping Lisle up into a hug, and twirled her round in her arms. “I have the best bridesmaids!”

“You look very nice, dear,” Molly told Ginny, beaming. “The colour really suits you. And I’m sure Lisle and Coralie will look very sweet together.”

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the third bridesmaid!” Ginny said, clapping a hand to her forehead.

“Well, technically you’re not a bridesmaid,” Hermione said, putting Lisle back down. “You’re the Maid of Honour. Or Matron, since you’re already married.”

“Well yeah,” Ginny said, smiling. “But what about Coralie? When is she getting her dress fitted?”

“Oh she’s already had hers done,” Molly said, airily. “But I think a few adjustments will need to be made to these.”

“That they will,” Madame Malkin said, nodding. “I think you’re hem needs to be taken up just a little,” she indicated Hermione’s dress “and you need a bigger shoe size. Mrs. Potter, I think that dress may need to come in a slightly bigger size, you look as if you are struggling in a corset.”

Ginny looked down and noticed the bulge at her stomach. “I know, I must have put on weight. I’ll try and shift it before the wedding, but you’re probably right.”

Hermione shot Ginny a furtive glance, her eyes widening slightly. Having a hunch at what this could mean, Ginny simply inclined her head slightly to her.

Noticing nothing, Madame Malkin carried on. “Now, this lovely little girl could do with having her hem taken up a good few inches too, she’s smaller than I imagined, for her age. Her shoes are perfect, and she does look very cute, I must admit.”

She patted Lisle on the head, and she smiled back like an angel.

***

After they had gotten fitted for the dresses, and sorted out, they went to meet up with the men, who were waiting outside The Leaky Cauldron.

“Hello,” Molly said, as they rushed over to them. “Have you been to get your tuxes sorted?”

Ron grinned. “Yes mum! It’s all sorted.”

He kissed Hermione. “Hi sweetheart,” he said. “Hi Ginny, and Lisle. How was that?”

“Very boring,” Lisle said. “I wanted to look at broomsticks, but Mum wouldn’t let me.”

They all laughed, and Ron looked at Ginny.

“Depriving her of Quidditch? Never! Not in this family,” he said, in a mock-stern voice. Ginny laughed.

“Get a grip, Ron!”

The group walked into the Leaky Cauldron, and went out the back entrance, back to the Muggle world. They came out of the wizard pub, ready to walk on towards the Portkey that had been set up to return them to the Burrow, for security measures.

However, Hermione ducked under Ginny and Ron and zoomed into a nearby Muggle shop called Boots.

“Hermione?”

Ginny stopped in her tracks, looking at the door, which closed behind Hermione. The others did not notice Hermione’s quick disappearance, and therefore carried on walking. However, Ginny thought she’d better wait for Hermione, in case she lost them.

A few minutes later, Hermione came jogging out of the shop called Boots, holding a brown paper bag with something inside it.

“What was that all about?” Ginny asked, bewildered, eyeing the bag.

Hermione shook her head. “I’ll tell you later. Where are the others?”

Ginny glanced ahead. She could just make out Ron’s tall frame disappearing round a corner.

“We can catch them up,” Ginny told Hermione. “Let’s go.”

They caught up with the group, and used the Portkey to return home with the others. It was only when they had arrived safely back at the Burrow, and gone up to Ginny’s room (which Harry and Ginny were using for their stay) that Hermione cast a locking spell on the door and collapsed onto Ginny’s bed.

“Right,” Ginny frowned, her hands on her hips. “What’s going on?”

“Okay,” Hermione said, sitting up. “I wasn’t sure about something, something concerning you. So, I went into a Muggle pharmacy to get you “’’ Hermione rummaged in the paper bag “this.”

She produced a long, rectangular white box from the bag. It said Clearblue on it, and there was a still picture of a woman with a baby on the front.

Ginny clicked.

“Hermione, that’s not a “ it isn’t “’’

Hermione nodded. “Yes, it is. I bought you a Muggle pregnancy test, just to be sure about this.”

Ginny groaned, sitting down beside Hermione, her head buried in her hands.

“Hermione, the magical Pregnancy Potion told me I wasn’t pregnant! Wizarding Potions are more accurate than those weird Muggle sticks they call pregnancy tests.”

“Not necessarily,” Hermione said, solidly. “The Potion, we know for a fact was way out of date. Even wizard potions expire. Plus, it could have been a false negative.”

Ginny looked up. “I don’t know, Hermione. What if it’s negative again?”

“Well, how else can you explain the missing periods, the weird cravings and rather obvious bump that’s beginning to show on your stomach? It’s not normal, Ginny. Please, just take the test. It can’t hurt you to try,” Hermione reasoned.

Ginny sighed, kneading her forehead with her knuckles. There was a rather long pause while Ginny considered the matter, watching Hermione’s eager face.

“All right,” Ginny said, reluctantly. Hermione beamed.

“Finally,” she said, putting the box back in the bag. “We’ll use the bathroom across the hall, it’s bigger than the downstairs one.”

The two women headed out to the bathroom across the hall, locking the door to it when they got in.

***

“Right,” Ginny said, five minutes later, when they were in the bathroom. An unfolded sheet of instructions was spread out on her knees, as Hermione looked at the box. “Er “ what the hell am I supposed to do?”

“Give it here.”

Hermione took the sheet from Ginny and examined it for a few seconds. Then she picked up the box, and emptied the contents onto a towel than was on a counter nearby. Out fell a long white stick, a little pot of something, and a paper cup.

“Okay,” Hermione told Ginny. “It says here you’re supposed to first put a sample of your urine in this cup. Joy.”

Ginny wrinkled her nose. “It’s alright,” she replied grimly, “I’m getting used to it.”

“Anyway,” Hermione continued, peering at the instructions. “After that, you add the contents of this pot,” Hermione held up the little pot “to the sample. After that, you dip the little white stick in it and then leave the stick for five minutes. We’ll use my stopwatch.”

Hermione indicated her Muggle stopwatch on her wrist. Ginny nodded, taking a deep breath.

“Okay,” Hermione said, “if you’re pregnant, the stick will show two little blue lines on this white stick, alright? If you’re not, there will only be one line. So the one line is negative, and the two lines are positive.”

“Ok then, shall I do the sample first then?” she asked Hermione, with raised eyebrows. Hermione nodded, and turned away while Ginny put a sample of her urine in the cup.

“Ok, done. You can turn back now.”

Hermione turned around to see Ginny holding a paper cup full of what looked like apple juice.

“Right-o,” Hermione said. “Now we add the little pot.”

Ginny poured the contents of the pot in.

“Okay, now we dip the stick in.”

Ginny dipped it in, and then set the stick down on the counter, flipped the wrong way up so that the side that would tell her whether she was pregnant was face down. Hermione set the timer on her watch on for five minutes.

They waited with baited breath. It was so tense, Ginny could almost see the intensity pressing against her skin. She paced the bathroom, listening to the clock on the wall tick. A constant battle was waging in her mind.

What if I’m pregnant?

What if I’m not?

What if it turns out I got my hopes up for nothing?

Ginny could not bear to think these things; she felt she would explode if the five minutes were not up soon.

A sudden beeping sound came from Hermione’s watch.

“Ginny it’s time.”

***

Ginny felt as though she had eaten worms instead of porridge at breakfast. Her hands were trembling; her stomach felt as though it had flipped over. She couldn’t think straight.

“Okay, do you want to flip it over?” asked Hermione, gently, putting a hand on Ginny’s shoulder. Ginny nodded, and reached for the stick.

She was about to take it when she found she couldn’t bring herself to.

“Hermione I can’t! You do it.”

Hermione reached for the stick, and picked it up. Gently, so it wasn’t facing Ginny, she flipped it over. Her eyes widened.

“What?! What is it??” Ginny cried anxiously. She couldn’t take the tension.

Hermione opened her mouth, and then closed it again. She cleared her throat.

“Ginny,” she said, her eyes watering, “you’re pregnant.”


***




A/N: Thank you for reading! So there you have it “ Ginny is pregnant after all! Anyway, about those people who reviewed before saying they want some details on when Lisle was born and Harry and Ginny’s wedding “ don’t worry it’s coming! I put no memories in this chappie cuz I wanted to focus on the present, but in later chapters I will be adding details on Ginny and Harry’s past! Please review!!!!!
Flashbacks and Surprises by rache
A/N: Hello again!! Chapter 4 is finally here!! I’m sorry for not updating in a long while, partly because I got writers’ block over the holidays, and partly because when I submitted my original chapter 4 it got deleted (nooooo) and when my chapters get deleted, I always prefer to re-write the entire thing because I want to improve it as much as possible. Oh and by the way, thank you for reviewing, it has helped a lot. I really love getting reviews with advice on ways to improve, because I’m always open for improvement (but don’t be too harsh please!). Anyway, this chapter starts off with a flashback of Ginny’s. Happy reading!!





“Harry, there’s something I have to tell you,” said seventeen-year-old Ginny, sitting on the edge of his bed.

Harry looked up from his book, Potions for Aspiring Aurors, his green eyes glazed, as though the book was thoroughly monotonous. He smiled at Ginny, his eyes lighting up. Obviously he had not forgotten the other night they had spent at Hogwarts together. Who would?

“Hi, Gin,” Harry said softly, planting a kiss on her cheek. “What’s up?”

Ginny began biting her nails and rocking about in her seat. She always did that when she was nervous, Harry had noticed.

“What is it?” he repeated.

Ginny sighed and stared up at him. “Okay, if you must know, you must. But please don’t be too upset or angry with me, it’s as much my responsibility as yours.”

Harry looked extremely intrigued now.

“Tell me,” he said, placing his book down on his pillow. Ginny looked into his eyes, and Harry was startled to see she had tears glistening in her own.

“I’m pregnant.”

Ginny felt as though she had ripped plaster off an deep wound. The silence was stingingly silent and the tension was thicker than cold custard.

“You’re “ what?”

Harry looked at Ginny, his face utterly shocked and bewildered. Ginny bit her thumbnail with more fervor as she watched Harry’s face for signs.

“I’m pregnant,” she repeated after a slight silence. “And it’s yours.”

Her words rang throughout her ears. It was a though a tidal wave had just crashed over them and wiped out all the noise. The silence seemed to go on forever, like there was a gaping chasm where normal conversation once was. Harry’s emerald eyes looked somber and there was no trace of humour in them now.

After what seemed a decade, Harry stood up and buried his grey face in his hands. Ginny was shocked to see how grim he looked; she had never seen him so staid before.

“You “ you mean you got pregnant on our first time?” he asked, a note of panic hidden in his voice.

Ginny nodded, her eyes blurring over with tears now. Harry must have seen how upset and scared she was because he sat down on the bed next to her, his eyes looking a little more comforting.

“It just seems so unfair,” Ginny said, her voice cracking as tears rolled down her cheeks, “that this had to happen the first time. We’re not even together anymore, but now the one thing we did was that “ and we forgot the Charm. How am I going to do this, Harry?”

She burst into sobs, letting them wash over her, shaking uncontrollably. Harry pulled her into a comforting embrace, wrapping his arms tightly over her, although he had never felt less brave. Even when he had seen Voldemort rise from that giant cauldron on the night of his rebirth he had not felt quite like this. The overwhelming sense of fear rose up in him until he too, wanted to break into tears, wash it all away from him, but he knew he had to be strong and brave for Ginny, so she would not feel scared.

“We’ll figure it out, Gin,” he said, feeling as though someone else rather than him spoke the words. “I never said I stopped loving you, because I do. I just can’t show it right now, or he’ll find you. If I lost you Ginny I’d be devastated beyond words. I’m here for you, even though I can’t be with you.”

He stroked her beautiful mane of copper gold hair, soothing her sobs with his gentle hand. Ginny felt like she was dying inside. She had never felt this close to anyone yet at the same time so far apart. The mere week ago that they had spent at Hogwarts had felt so right and beautiful, like it had been fate to bring them closer together, but she knew now that it wasn’t fate, it was reality. Reality brought you back to life after the moment was over, it brought you back to the bitter truth of things. No matter how sweet and good something was, it would always end, at some point. She had been stupid to believe Harry could change his mind after one meaningful moment. She loved him so much it sometimes caused her pain to think of what she would be if he died in the war. She couldn’t let that happen to him while she was safe and protected, but she couldn’t change his mind either. He wanted to protect her, but it caused her so much silent pain she wanted to pull him back now and kiss him again, tell him all her fears and have him stroke her hair as he was doing now, but she knew it could never be so.

“I love you too Harry,” she said after a long time, her eyes red and her face tear-stained. “I wish I could come and help you, come and fight. Last year at Hogwarts was unbearable without you. I very nearly lost the will to live sometimes. I know why we can’t be together anymore, but I’ll never love anyone else. You’re my one and only, Harry.”

Harry looked deep into her eyes and Ginny could see on his face the pain he too was suffering inside. He leaned over to her and kissed her softly. Ginny felt like she was flying. Her mind drifted, picturing the two of them in a secluded field, kissing as they were now, without a care in the world, nothing to hold them back. But the picture faded away soon, and she looked up at Harry, who had drawn away from her.

“That was just one last time,” he said, looking at the rug. “Because I won’t be able to do that to you again for a very long time. I’m sorry, Ginny. But you have to tell your parents. They can help you with this. I can’t.”

Ginny felt her broken heart smash again as he touched her face one more time, got up and slowly walked for the door. As he shut it, Ginny could not hear. She couldn’t think. His outline had become hazy and blurred and she felt more tears creeping up, spilling down her face. Her one and only true love was walking away from her, breaking her heart as he went. She couldn’t bear to think about it, all her emotions lay tangled in a broken up heap and overcame her with such an overwhelming power that she flung herself face down onto the bed, sobbing into the pillow.

She was alone.



“Hello, stranger.”

Ginny opened her eyes to see Harry standing over her. He was grinning, and Ginny looked around. She was slumped in a cosy red armchair, her reading book sliding from her slack grip. She must have dozed off after lunch. After she had found out the wonderful news. It seemed such a long time ago they had been in Diagon Alley, trying on dresses for the wedding.

“Hello, sweetheart,” Ginny smiled, straightening up. “I just dozed of after lunch in this armchair. I “ I was dreaming, I guess.”

Harry smiled and sat on the arm of her chair. “Hermione told me there was something important you had to tell me.”

Ginny remembered the bathroom and the little white stick, and the look of triumph on Hermione’s face after they had found out the news.

“Oh right,” said Ginny, smiling again. “Well, that. Yes, it is rather important.”

She opened her book again and began to read, until she felt Harry’s eyes on her. She looked up at his impatient face.

“Well? Aren’t you going to tell me?”

Ginny laughed. “All right, I’ll tell you. But it is rather a surprise.”

Harry nodded. “Okay, just tell me.”

Ginny took a deep breath and the exhaled. “Okay. I’m pregnant.”

She watched Harry’s face and failed to suppress a laugh. He looked so comical, sitting there, his mouth half-open and his face shocked. He looked more gormless than Goyle.

“What is so funny?” Harry asked her as she giggled, folding his arms across his chest, raising an eyebrow.

“Sorry,” Ginny said, pulling herself together. “It’s just that you look so funny sitting there, your mouth hanging open in that gormless manner.”

Harry smiled weakly, but then looked serious again. “Are you being serious? You’re really pregnant?”

Ginny nodded her head, looking serious again. “Yes,” she said. “I’m not joking; I’m four months along already. That’s what that tummy-bug was the day we left to come here. Except it wasn’t a tummy-bug. It was morning sickness.”

Harry looked awed for a moment, his eyes unfocused and glazed, looking at the muslin curtains as though they fascinated him. Ginny waved her hand in front of his face.

“Er, Harry? Hello?”

Harry snapped out of his reverie and looked back at Ginny.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I was just “ wow. You do realise what a huge step it is to have another baby? I mean Lisle wasn’t exactly planned, was she?”

Ginny nodded again. “Yes, Harry, I’ve gone over it in my mind, and I realise it means many more months of sleepless nights to take care of it, but I’m so happy as well. I’ve always wanted a sister or brother for Lisle.”

Harry nodded and smiled. “I know you’ve always wanted more than one child,” he responded. “And I’m not saying I’m not happy. I’d love another child.”

Ginny looked up, smiling.

“So is this official? I have your blessing?”

“What do you mean, my blessing?” Harry answered. “You don’t need my blessing for something like this.”

Ginny laughed. “I know. I just meant, are you okay with it? I mean, I actually was preparing myself for more of a surprised reaction from you.”

Harry grinned. “Well, to be honest, I sort of guessed anyway. I mean,” he said, spotting Ginny’s puzzled expression, “I knew that when you threw up that it couldn’t just be a tummy-bug, because the week before that you had been vomiting as well. And I noticed how your middle had been growing bigger; I just didn’t like to say anything incase you thought I was calling you fat.”

Ginny grinned. “Well you were right! But it does seem a bit strange that everyone else has noticed this and I haven’t. Even Lisle told me I was ‘bigger’.”

Harry chuckled. “Well she’s a smart kid.”

Ginny grinned even more widely and burrowed her face into Harry’s jumper. It smelled nice, like treacle tart and polished wood.

“Is it a boy or girl?” Harry asked, abruptly, as Ginny looked up. “Or don’t you know?”

Ginny shook her head. “I don’t know. But if I go to St. Mungo’s for a check up I’m sure they’ll be able to find out through magical ways; I’m already far along enough.”

Harry suddenly looked excited. “I hope it’s a boy,” he voiced, his face shining with glee.

Ginny laughed. “I’m sure you do.”

“Well, it would be nice to have one of each,” Harry said. “What room will we convert for the new baby? Perhaps we should use Lisle’s old playroom, it’s full of junk now anyway, and the walls need re-painting…”

Ginny’s mind drifted as Harry spoke. A warm feeling had enveloped her, as she stretched her hands over the small bump on her midriff. She thought back over the previous week and the weeks, maybe even months before that. It had been obvious, really, hadn’t it? Even Harry and had noticed. She burrowed into Harry, who cuddled her back, still in full flow about the new baby. Ginny felt a smile creep up on her lips as she watched him. He truly did care about her.

Flashback

The pain was slowly receding, although Ginny’s eyes remained tightly shut. There was sweat all over her face, and Ginny suddenly heard the high-pitched noises of a very young infant crying. Ginny snapped her eyes open and what she next saw almost made her heart stop beating.

A baby.

The Healer took it over to the nearby table, and with a wave of her wand, it was cleaned. Wrapping it up in a white blanket, the Healer carefully passed it to Ginny.

“It’s a girl,” she said smiling, as she gently placed the infant in Ginny’s arms. Ginny barely heard the Healer; she was too transfixed by her new daughter. She was so intricately small, so perfect, she even had tiny little fingernails. Ginny could barely recall what the pain had felt like now.

The baby girl gurgled and opened her eyes up widely. Ginny saw that they were brown as well.

“Hello,” Ginny said, smiling at her daughter. “Hello, darling. You’re here now. Everyone’s been waiting to see you for ages.”

The baby gurgled again.

The doors burst open and Ginny looked up to see a hurling shape of black hair and glasses running towards her bed. The Healer, however, blocked his way, a great frown on her face.

“What are you doing here, sir?” she asked, placing her hands on her large waist. “Nobody except family is allowed in here.”

“Well, I’m the father, does that count as family?” Harry asked impatiently.

The Healer relented and moved out of the way.

Ginny looked up at Harry. Her breath seemed to be caught in her throat and her tongue was tied. There was no need for words however. Harry sat down on the nearby chair.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t make it sooner,” he gasped, catching his breath. “I ran all the way here; they didn’t let me out until we had all finished “”

Ginny shook her head, smiling. “It doesn’t matter, Harry. What matters to me is that you’re here now. It’s a girl.”

Harry looked down at the now crying baby, his face awestruck.

“She’s beautiful,” he said, in a hushed voice.

“Would you like to hold her?” asked Ginny, quietly, as the infant screamed more. Harry took her in his arms. As soon as Ginny had passed her to him, she immediately fell silent. Her big brown eyes widened, and she hiccuped softly. Harry beamed at her.

“Hello you,” he said. “Wow, you’re exactly like me, aren’t you? But you’ve got Ginny’s eyes.”

Ginny smiled.

“What are we going to call her?” Harry asked, looking up at Ginny. Ginny thought for a moment.

“I don’t know,” she mused, thoughtfully. “For a girl I’ve always wanted Lisle. You don’t hate it too much, do you?”

“No, of course not,” Harry replied. “It’s a beautiful name; it suits her. So, Lisle it is?”

Ginny nodded. “Okay. Lisle it is.”

Lisle gurgled, her brown eyes twinkling.



Ginny came back out of her reverie, shaking her head. Looking up, she saw Harry, still in a full-fledged monologue about whether or not they should use Lisle’s old playroom for the new baby.

Ginny smiled to herself, and opened her book. Finding the page, she began to read as Harry looked at her, leaving him in mid-sentence.

***
A/N: I hope you liked that chapter! It took me ages to work out, but its finally here! Please leave a review if you have time, I really like them!! ^^
Dances and dramas by rache
The rest of the week at the Burrow passed so quickly Ginny was sure the clocks had sped up. They had broken the news to the others, all of whom were surprised and very pleased. All her brothers were excited to have another niece or nephew on the way, and Lisle was very proud of the fact that she would soon be a big sister. She had taken to saying, “I’m going to be a sister, a big sister!” to anyone who would listen and laugh.

Before Ginny knew it, the morning of their departure was upon them, and she made sure Lisle (who had had her fringe cut with magic by Molly the previous night) had packed absolutely everything, including her old stuffed rabbit that she slept with at night, and that Harry had not forgotten his socks. She double-checked on everything before heading down for breakfast.

After breakfast had been eaten, Ginny, Harry and Lisle began saying their good-byes. Harry hugged Molly, assuring her that she needn’t worry about their journey, while Ron tickled Lisle before giving her a big bear hug.

Ginny hugged Charlie and then Bill, and even managed to hug Fleur, who looked perfect even at quarter to ten in the morning.

“Ginny?”

Ginny spun round and saw Hermione behind her. Ginny beamed as she pulled her into a hug, a mane of bushy brown hair attacking her face as she did so.

“I hope the journey goes well,” Hermione smiled, as they broke apart. “I won’t see you until the wedding and by then you’ll be pretty big. We’ll have to owl Madame Malkin saying that we need a bigger dress for you, won’t you be nearly seven months pregnant?”

Ginny nodded.

“I promise I’ll owl you with news and stuff,” she said, reassuringly. “Thanks for “ well “ everything, Hermione.”

Hermione shook her head, smiling. “Don’t mention it.”

Hugging her one last time, Ginny turned towards Harry, who was standing beside the fireplace, trying to restrain Lisle, who was wriggling.

Harry threw a handful of glittering green powder into the flames, and they instantly shot up, like swaying green serpents. Stepping into the flames with Lisle and Harry, Ginny took a fleeting glance around at them all while Harry shouted, “Number seven, Godric’s Hollow!” and they all disappeared from view as the green flames swallowed them up.

****



As soon as they were back at home in Godric’s Hollow, the weeks seemed to speed up again. Ginny found she was not being sick in the mornings anymore, but her nights were becoming a little more broken up and her cravings were becoming even odder. Once, she had woken up at three in the morning, dying for a salami and meatball sandwich with hot sauce and mayonnaise.

A trip to St. Mungos in May told her the baby was very healthy and had a strong heartbeat. They also got a nice surprise; Ginny was carrying a little girl. Harry and Lisle were delighted, and so was Ginny. The baby had starting kicking, and whenever Ginny felt a little flutter, Lisle would clutch at her tummy, shouting, “I can’t feel it! I can’t feel it!” until she held still for a while.

Ever since the news had come that Ginny was expecting another girl, Harry had begun to decorate Lisle’s old playroom with pale pink and white walls and they had unearthed Lisle’s old yellow duck cot and put it in the corner. It looked very sweet, and Lisle climbed into the cot one day, claiming that she was a little baby who needed feeding. Harry laughed and tickled her, which always worked; it was a Weasley trait to be ticklish.

Before she was even aware of how quickly the time had sped, Ginny (with a large bump on her tummy now) found that it was the 23rd of June, two days before Ron and Hermione’s wedding. The wedding would take place at the Burrow (where Harry and Ginny had also been married) and it would be outside, so that they could enjoy the beautiful summer weather. The bridesmaid dresses had been sent to Ginny, and she found hers had been altered to fit a seven-month pregnant woman. Lisle looked adorably sweet in her dress, and the shoes fitted her now. There was no doubt Coralie and her would look precious together.

On the 24th, Harry, Lisle and Ginny arrived at the Burrow, only to be greeted by Ron, Hermione, Arthur and Molly. The house was in a frenzy of pre-wedding production, and Molly had barely greeted them before she had to rush back into the kitchen, to make sure none of the food for the wedding was burning. Arthur looked a little more tired than usual but nevertheless looked pleased to see Harry and Ginny.

“We’ve been like this for a few weeks now,” Arthur said, nodding at the walls which had a great many to-do-lists stuck on them, in Molly’s handwriting. “Hermione’s been really helpful with the food especially. She’s managed to calm Molly down, making her endless cups of tea and she’s helped cook for hours each day. We kept telling her she shouldn’t, that it was her wedding, but she didn’t want to hear of it. Ron’s been helping with the garden, with the help of Fred and George, but you know what they’re like, they practically slow the whole process down with their jokes, so we’ve had help from Bill and Charlie, who have been popping in every now and then. Their families are coming on the actual day, so we aren’t limited for space, but we aren’t doing too badly. Everything’s almost ready now.”

Ginny laughed. “You sound like you’ve been busy,” she said, resting a hand on her stomach. “Where is Hermione anyway? I’d quite like to see her.”

Arthur pointed in the direction of the kitchen. “Try and be calm in the kitchen, Molly’s been getting a little worked up lately.”

Ginny grinned and left Harry talking to Arthur in the living room. Lisle followed her mum down the corridor.

“You’ll see Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione, Lis, won’t you like that?” Ginny said, brushing Lisle’s fringe out of her eyes again (it needed cutting again).

Lisle nodded. “I can’t wait to see “ Uncle RON!!”

As soon as they had reached the kitchen, Lisle ran towards Ron, who looked quite tanned (probably from working in the garden in the hot summery weather) and bounded straight into his arms.

“Lisle! How are you, you little monkey?” Ron laughed, spinning her round in his arms. Ginny laughed and looked around the room to see Hermione running towards her, a flowery apron tied around her waist, her bushy mane flying.

“Hermione!” Ginny exclaimed, hugging her quickly, a grin on her face. “How have you been? I heard you and Ron have been working hard.”

“Did someone just say my name?” Ron asked, coming up behind Ginny. Ginny rolled her eyes while she hugged her older brother.

“Hi,” Ginny said as she broke apart from him. “So how have you been? You must have done a lot of work in the garden, you look pretty brown.”

Ron laughed. “Yeah, you should see it, it’s looking fantastic now, we de-gnomed it yesterday, and now all that needs putting up is the platform. I’m on my coffee break now.”

Ginny raised her eyebrows. “Can I see it now then?”

“Yeah,” Ron answered. “But Hermione can show you, I haven’t seen Harry yet.”

Hermione looking mortally offended. “Neither have I!” she said, swatting Ron’s arm, but Ginny could tell she was only pretending.

“Mum, could we leave Lisle to cook with you for a few minutes while Hermione shows me the garden?” Ginny asked Molly, who looked up from the bowl she was stirring with her wand and nodded.

“Come on, Lisa, I’ll show you how to whip the whites of eggs to make meringue,” Molly said, as Lisle walked over to her grandmother. “We’ll use magic…”

Leaving the pair, Hermione and Ginny slipped through the corridor until they reached the back door.

“Close you eyes, and I’ll guide you.”

Ginny obeyed and let Hermione take her hand, feeling the warm sunshine on her face as they stepped outside.

“Now open.”

Ginny opened her eyes and gasped. It was as though they had walked into the wrong backgarden. The grass was brilliantly green and smooth. The air smelt of freshly mown grass and the sweet smell of flowers. Oriental lilies and orchids were in full bloom everywhere, and there were chairs set up in rows, making an aisle to walk down, with a raised platform at the end of the aisle. White rose petals carpeted the aisle and platform, which was surrounded by red rose bushes. White ribbons had been set up like banners in the trees, and there were fountains around the outside of the chairs and platform, with sparkling fresh water trickling over the bowls, spilling into the bottom most bowl. Live fairies were chattering and buzzing around, each with a different coloured dress or garment on. It looked just like heaven.

“Ron’s still got some final touches left to do, but it looks pretty impressive doesn’t it?” Hermione was saying. “Your dad’s been doing most of it, I can’t seem to thank him enough for everything he’s done for us. Molly’s been wonderful, I don’t think we’ll get a better cook anywhere.”

Ginny grinned. “It’s absolutely perfect,” she said, flipping her long red hair over her shoulder, placing a hand on her bump. “Speaking of family, I’ve got some news for you. I’m expecting a girl.”

Hermione clapped a hand to her mouth. “Oh that’s wonderful!” she mused, dancing around, her bushy brown curls bouncing. “We can dress her up and stuff!”

Ginny laughed. “Is that all you ever think about? You said the same thing when I found out Lisle was going to be a girl.”

Hermione smiled sheepishly. “Well I’ve always wanted a girl myself for that reason. And many other reasons of course,” she added as Ginny raised her eyebrows. “Have you thought about names yet?”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Don’t even get me started on names! Harry wants Edwina. Edwina! For a little girl?”

Hermione grinned. “And what have you come up with so far?”

“Well,” Ginny began, “I suggested Lily first, after Harry’s mum you know, but then we realised that would be two ‘L’s’, Lisle and Lily, which sound too alike.”

“And?” Hermione asked eagerly.

“And now I don’t know,” Ginny sighed, exasperatedly, throwing her hands up in defeat, accidentally knocking out a pink fairy. “Harry still wants Edwina for some obscure reason, have you got any ideas?”

Hermione averted her eyes from Ginny and her cheeks went pink.

“No.”

Ginny grinned slyly. “Yes you have!” she teased, slapping Hermione lightly on the arm, “Come on, what is it?”

“I can’t tell you, because you’ll love it and want to name your new baby it,” Hermione whined, “And if I was going to have a baby girl I thought of the perfect name.”

Ginny grinned even more widely. “I promise I won’t steal it,” she assured Hermione, cocking an eyebrow.

“All right,” Hermione said, taking a deep breath, “If I was having a boy, Matthew, and if I was having a girl it would be Emma.”

Ginny put a hand up to her mouth. “Oh that’s so beautiful,” she said smiling at her friend. “But don’t worry I’m not going to take it! Emma Potter…”

Ginny’s voice trailed off, her eyes dreamy. Hermione glared at her.

“You promised you wouldn’t steal it,” she reminded Ginny firmly, “It took me ages to come up with.”

Ginny laughed and placed a hand on Hermione’s shoulder firmly. “Hermione, I am not going to take it! I think it’s a lovely name, but it’s your idea. I’m not one for plagiarism. The names I choose for my children are unique and individual.”

Hermione’s expression relaxed and she smiled at Ginny. “Okay, you’re right. Forgive me for being so defensive.”

Ginny was about to open her mouth to do so when they heard Molly call from the kitchen, loudly: “GINNY! HERMIONE! THE CAKE IS BURNING!”

****


After the slight cake-burning incident (which had been restored with a quick wand-wave from Hermione) everything had gone smoothly. Ron, Harry, Bill, Charlie and Arthur had helped put up the trellis and platform, and added the final touches to the garden. Lisle was overexcited by it all and kept rushing around. Ginny told her off many times but it didn’t seem to have any effect on Lisle whatsoever. She had a certain disregard for rules, just like her father, and Ginny knew that wasn’t going to change.

The next morning, Ginny woke up and got dressed quickly, and then walked down to breakfast. She found that everyone was already up, and Molly was for once not working, but sitting down with a mug of tea, tiredness etched into her face.

Ginny sat down beside her, helping herself to cereal. Molly looked up from her tea, rubbing her eyes and stifling a yawn.

“Morning, Ginny,” she said smiling wearily, draining the last of her tea. “I feel like I’ve barely seen you since you got here yesterday. How are things? Arthur and I got your owl, we’re delighted that you’re having another girl.”

Ginny smiled, and placed a hand on her tummy. “Yeah, Harry was a little crestfallen at first, I’m sure he wanted a James, but he’s also delighted to have two little girls. He’s already finished painting Lisle’s old playroom.”

Molly smiled weakly. “I’m so pleased for you and Harry. I thought when you came down here last time something was definitely different in you. Anyway, when is it due?”

“August the twenty-eighth,” Ginny replied, “But the Healers at St. Mungos’ said that she has a very healthy heartbeat and she’s kicking like mad.”

Molly smiled. “Well that’s good,” she murmured. “You did get the dresses we ordered from Madame Malkins’, didn’t you?”

Ginny nodded. “And they fit perfectly now,” she added. “You haven’t seen Hermione, have you? I need to discuss “”

But before she could finish, there was a loud shriek from the kitchen door, announcing Hermione’s presence anyway.

“I’M GETTING MARRIED TODAY!!”

****


The rest of the morning sped past in a frenzy of last-minute wedding preparations and excitement. The actual ceremony was taking place at six in the afternoon. Molly could be found in the kitchen, cleaning and wiping away every speck of dust with a flick of her wand, making it impeccably clean. The rest of the house and grounds were looking spotless, and yet everyone was still bustling around as though something would go seriously wrong if they didn’t.

Ginny, Molly, Fleur and the two little bridesmaids (Coralie and Lisle) all got ready at five o’clock, using the lounge as their hair and make-up base. Coralie, a serene and calm seven-year-old was sitting down in her seat, letting her mother charm her long silvery-blond hair into an elaborate bun. Lisle, on the other hand, was buzzing around the room like an excitable bee. It took several count-to-tens and deep breaths before she let Fleur do her hair up like Coralie’s.

“Hm! Eef only you would seet still like Coralie!” Fleur said reprovingly to Lisle, who was still jittering around. “I ‘av nevair known a child to be so energetic as you. But you ‘av beautiful ‘air, it ees a shame not to put eet up.”

Ginny laughed into her hand. Lisle was looking as though she wanted to burst with excitement. Molly had cut her fringe earlier, for the second time. It was a bit of a nuisance to have to keep cutting it. Ginny had considered simply growing it out for good, but she looked so sweet with it, it seemed a pity to.

“There!” Fleur said, looking satisfied. “Zat wasn’t zo bad, now?”

Lisle was strangely subdued as she peered at her reflection in the mirror. Fleur had also done an elaborate bun in her hair, like nearly everyone else. Ginny bent down to look at her in the mirror.

“There, Lis, what do you say to Auntie Fleur?” Ginny said, reprovingly.

“Thank you,” Lisle said automatically. Fleur smiled, making her beautiful features seem much more radiant. Her own hair was done up in a very French twist that looked too complicated for Ginny to even attempt.

“Zat ees not a problem,” she replied, fluttering her hand in a carefree manner. “Eet would be better to do eet another time again, I ‘ope.”

Ginny smiled her thanks and bent down to Lisle’s height. “Now, you be good, all right?” she told Lisle. “No messing around. Auntie Hermione’s chosen you and Coralie to be her special bridesmaids, and I’m sure she wants you on your best behaviour.”

Lisle nodded. “I will, Mum.”

Ginny smiled and kissed her on the forehead. “I know you can do it.”

She straightened up and looked at the long mirror in the corner, that showed her full reflection. She had done her own hair (using a few useful spells) and it was piled onto the back of her head, in an elaborate, fiery red bun. She had done her make-up herself. The light blue dress was beautiful, and it showed her bump off in a subtle but not too obvious way. Ginny grinned. I’ve definitely put on weight then., she thought to herself.

The door opened, and Ginny gasped, clapping a hand over her mouth. It was Hermione. She looked absolutely beautiful, in her long, white wedding gown and veil. Her hair was sleek and elegant, and the curls were scraped back into a twist, leaving a few stray locks to dangle freely. Her face looked perfect: not a spot or blemish appeared on her skin. Ginny had never seen her looking like this; even the time in their fourth year when she had dressed up for the Yule Ball.

Hermione looked over at Ginny and smiled. “Does the dress look okay?” she asked, nervously, peering in the mirror. Ginny smiled back.

“Hermione, you look lovely,” she said, resting a hand on her stomach. “I’ve never seen you looking so radiant.”

Hermione grinned. “So do you,” she said. At that moment, Molly stuck her head around the door.

“Is everyone assembled? It’s time.”

Ginny looked at Hermione, who was faintly pale. Ginny squeezed her arm reassuringly. “You’ll be fine. Lisle and Coralie go first, then the best man, in other words, Harry and I, and then you and your dad. ”

Hermione smiled a ghost of a smile. “I hope you’re right.”

Molly appeared again. “Girls! Come on! We’re ready for you!”

****


“I now pronounce you man and wife! You may now kiss the bride.”

Ron kissed Hermione gently as the guests in the audience clapped and cheered. When they broke off, Hermione was laughing and Ron was beaming down at her. Molly, who was sitting in the front row with Arthur and the Grangers, cheered with the rest, wiping a tear off her face. Arthur had his arm around his sobbing wife as he clapped along with everyone else.

Ron and Hermione got showered with confetti as they made their way down the aisle, Lisle and Coralie at the rear with Ginny. Everyone was taking pictures with big wizards’ cameras that smoked when they snapped.

The photographer insisted on taking pictures first. He was an old, wizened little wizard who smiled at Ron and Hermione.

“Now, if we could get a picture of the bride and groom first,” he wheezed, coughing in the camera smoke, “Lovely. And now perhaps the Matron of Honour with the best man, next to the newlyweds “ excellent. Now perhaps the two little bridesmaids on their own…”

It seemed to take forever. The photographer wanted pictures of everyone “ including Molly and Arthur and the Grangers. Then they did more of the bride and groom. Then the Matron of Honour with the best man again…

Ginny watched Hermione and Ron, who were now kissing for the camera, both laughing sheepishly and looking pleased. Her left hand rested on her stomach again, as she always did nowadays. They looked perfect as Ron spun Hermione round, catching her waist as she came back again. Hermione giggled and Ron kissed her again. Ginny continued to watch them happily while Harry came up behind her. She looked round at him.

“You look beautiful,” Harry murmured in her ear, intertwining his hand with her left hand. She smiled at him, brushing her nose against his.

“Thank you,” she replied. “But I’m not as beautiful as Hermione today.”

Harry grinned. “She does look rather like the day me and Ron first noticed she was a girl at the Yule Ball. We both thought we weren’t seeing her properly.”

Ginny laughed. “Well of course she’s a girl, she kissed Viktor Krum that night, silly!”

“Better not let Ron hear you say that on his wedding day,” Harry answered, his grin more prominent. “He hated Krum. Mind you, I hated Dean while you were going out.”

Ginny looked amused. “I thought you liked Cho most of the time though?”

“Cho?” Harry said, blankly. “Oh yeah, the one who cornered me in the Room of Requirement. Well I thought I did, but I suppose it was because she was popular and good at Quidditch, and “ well “ ”

“…Stunningly gorgeous, yes,” Ginny laughed, watching Harry struggle with the words. “Come on Harry, all the boys fancied her.”

Harry smiled weakly. “Yeah, but she wasn’t as pretty as you.”

Ginny felt herself blush even though Harry had told her this about a hundred times, but it still felt good every time.

“Ladies and Gentlemen!” Arthur Weasley called out over the chatter, which ceased immediately. “It is a pleasure to welcome you all to our home today. We will be serving the food now, and then we shall have dancing. The bride and groom will do the opening dance and everyone else can join in. If you would like to be seated at a table nearby we will be able to start.”

Ginny’s jaw fell open. While she had been talking to Harry, the chairs had re-arranged themselves and there were now a dozen or more round tables to seat six all around the lawn, leaving a space in the middle, which Ginny assumed was the dancefloor.

“Shall we be seated?” said Harry, taking Ginny’s hand. Ginny smiled.

“Oh yes, please,” she answered, letting him guide her. They made a beeline for the table which Hermione and Ron were sitting at. Ron had his arms around Hermione, gazing down at her adoringly as she stared up at him in the same manner. Harry cleared his throat.

“Er, may we sit with you?” he asked as the pair came back to their senses. Ron nodded looking slightly sheepish. Ginny grinned at the pair of them.

“So, how does it feel to be married?” she exclaimed as she picked up the menu. “It was a wonderful ceremony. You had me in tears at one point.”

Ron looked baffled. “What “ crying because of something good? Women are strange sometimes.”

Ginny threw a contemptuous look at him. “It was emotional, that’s why I was crying. Because I was so happy for the both of you.”

“So…how exactly do we work this menu?” said Harry, his thoughts still completely engrossed in food. Ginny rolled her eyes.

“Is that all men ever think about?” she replied, half-smiling. “Well, in answer to your question, the menus, er “ well come to think of it, how do they work?”

“Well it works a little like at the Yule Ball,” Hermione answered. “You see, I charmed the plates so that the food we’ve made instantly appears on it. But there are limits, which is why we’ve made menus.”

Ron was watching Hermione with awe.

“I’ve married the most intelligent witch ever gone to Hogwarts,” he said, hoarsely. Hermione looked mollified.

“That’s not true “ ” she began, but her words were cut short as Fred and George came to sit down, identical grins and matching blue blazers.

“Hermione, Ron, congrats to you both,” said George as Fred took a picture that let off a bang and cloud of smoke. Coughing, Ron looked up hazily.

“Er, thanks,” he said. “Nice blazers.”

Fred grinned as they took seats next to each other. “I know,” he replied, tweaking it a little. “Got them from Gladrags; they’ve set up a branch in Diagon Alley now.”

Harry opened his mouth to say something, but at that moment Arthur had stood up again and there was an instant hush. He beamed at them.

“I’m glad to see you’re all seated, comfortably I hope. Now without further ado, please, help yourselves to whatever is on the menu!”

Hermione picked up her menu and said confidently: “Smoked salmon picatta!”

Instantly, the appetizer appeared on her plate and she began to cut it elegantly with a knife and fork. Catching on, everyone else was soon saying things like “Crab quiche!” or “Shrimp and pea risotto!”

Ginny peered at the menu and decided on ‘spaghetti alla carbonara’, and tucked in.

****


“It’s official, I cannot eat another bite. Your mother is the best cook in the entire world.”

Harry fell back in his chair, sighing blissfully. Ginny smiled.

“And half of the credit goes to Hermione as well! She did the plate-charm thingy,” Ginny added, kindly. Hermione beamed at her.

“Thanks, Gin,” she said, taking a sip of champagne. “The cake was made by Molly though, I could never achieve such high standards in cake-making.”

“Well, I like your potato au gratin you make for me at home,” Ron said, wrapping his arms around her waist. “Better than what the house-elves at Hogwarts could do.”

Ginny was amazed to see that Hermione did not even open her mouth to protest at this.

There was a sound of a fork against glass, and everyone automatically looked up. Bill was standing up holding his champagne glass, grinning in Hermione and Ron’s direction.

“I would like to make a toast, before we start the opening dance, to the happy couple, Ron and Hermione. I hope they spend many joyful and fulfilling years together. To Ron and Hermione!”

“To Ron and Hermione,” everyone else murmured, raising their glasses.

“And now,” Bill continued, “if the newlyweds would like to step up here and delight us with their first dance as a married couple.”

The guests applauded as Ron and Hermione stood up and walked to the dancefloor. A pianist sat at a grand piano and the guests stopped clapping as he began a romantic melody.

Ron spun Hermione round and dropped her to the floor, catching her right before she hit the ground. The guests all “oohed” and “ahhed”.

“Show-off!” George called out, grinning. The guests laughed approvingly.

Hermione resurfaced, blushing a little. They danced quite normally after that, Ron occasionally spinning her round in a pirouette and catching her waist.

After a few minutes, when Ginny felt it was appropriate to, she grabbed Harry’s hand and led him to the dancefloor, and they began to dance slowly, like Ron and Hermione were. Harry spun Ginny’s hands around in a similar pirouette and caught her waist, grinning.

Ginny grinned back at him. “Show off!” she whispered in his ear.

One by one, the other guests made their way to the dancefloor and began dancing. Ginny looked around and saw Charlie and Evie nearby. Behind them were Percy and Penelope looking rather pompous as always. Next to Percy was Lisle, standing on Fred’s toes and he waltzed with her. Bill was swaying on the spot, Fleur wrapped in his arms, looking graceful and willowy.

When the song had finished (with a resounding note from the piano) a much quicker song came on, and everyone clapped when a band on the platform came on, playing jazz.

Soon everyone was dancing exuberantly. Ginny switched partners with Hermione. Ron grasped her hands and began doing a kind of jitterbug with her. Ginny giggled and was thoroughly exhausted when the song was over.

“I’m sitting down for a bit!” she said to Charlie, who had just offered to dance with her. He nodded in understanding and was soon taken by Lisle, whose face was flushed with excitement.

Panting, Ginny sat down at the table a hand on her stomach. She watched Hermione and Harry who were doing a very original two-step, and close by were Molly and Arthur, who were both excellent dancers, having “done that kind of thing” in their youth.

When the song ended, Ginny cheered loudly with everyone else, and Hermione came up to her, very red in the face and panting.

“Hi!” she said, grinning. “I was wondering where you’d got to. Can I dance with you for a bit? I’ve had enough of boys.”

Ginny nodded. “Well I’ll go back in a minute, I just “ ”

But she broke off suddenly as a dart of pain seemed to clench at her stomach. Hermione looked concerned.

“What is it?” she asked anxiously.

Ginny shook her head. “It’s nothing,” she replied. “I just “ well it’s gone now. Come on, let’s go dance.”

****


Ginny returned to the table with Harry, Hermione and Ron after several more dances, gasping for breath, but grinning nevertheless.

“Phew! I’m boiling!” she said, fanning herself. “I need a drink.”

“Me too,” Harry said, standing up to go with her. “Anyone else need one?”

Ron and Hermione shook their heads.

Ginny and Harry made their way to the drinks table, chatting.

“I haven’t danced this much since our wedding,” Ginny said, filling a glass with punch from the bowl. “I’m worn out already!”

“So am I,” Harry said, filling his glass. “I “ hey, what’s the matter?”

Ginny had suddenly clutched her stomach again. The searing pain had began again, but this time, it did not go away as it had before.

“I “ ouch!” Ginny panted, staggering a little as Harry grabbed her arms. “It’s “ it’s my stomach. I’m “ I’m in pain!”

It suddenly dawned on her. “Get Hermione!” she uttered, staggering over onto her knees. Harry looked unwilling to leave her, but obliged and came back with Hermione and Ron a few seconds later.

“Oh my…” Hermione began, looking a bit scared, “It “ it’s not…you know, is it?”

“I think so “ ARGH!” Ginny replied, her face screwed up in pain as another bolt of pain seared across her stomach. “I need to get to St. Mungo’s!”

Harry looked bewildered. “Why does she need to - ?”

But Hermione shook her head impatiently as she kneeled down beside Ginny.

“Harry she’s having CONTRACTIONS!!” Hermione shouted loudly, at the white-faced Harry. “If she doesn’t get to hospital NOW she’ll be giving birth in this rose bush!!”



A/N: There you are!! A little cliffie to keep you going, an unexpected surprise!! Hello again, and thank you for your reviews! Please review again, if you have time!!
St. Mungos by rache
A/N: Hi again. This is Chapter Six!!! Finally, I’m sorry it takes so long to update, but writing it, then checking it, then double checking it takes around a week, and I’ve also been having slight technical difficulties (as my stupid computer keeps crashing!), but you’ve all made it worthwhile, because of all your super-duper reviews!! Enjoy this chapter!




Harry’s face was chalk white. He looked as though he might pass out.

“Are “ are you sure it’s contractions?” He asked, anxiously. “It “ it could just be a stomach ache “ or maybe “ ”

“HARRY WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?” Hermione suddenly burst out loudly, causing some of the guests to look around in surprise. Hermione lowered her voice slightly.

“Harry, she’s seven months pregnant. Some women give birth a couple months early. The baby will be a little premature but “ Ginny?”

Ginny tightened her hands that were clasped around her stomach and had let out an agonizing shriek. She hadn’t felt pain like this since she’d had Lisle. Some of the guests were looking slightly alarmed and nobody could deny the sudden tension that surrounded the drink table.

“Get “ mum!” Ginny gasped, her forehead covered with beads of sweat. “Now! I “ can’t “ get “ up! It’s “ too painful!”

Ron didn’t need telling twice. He stumbled up and sprinted off, zigzagging through chairs here and there. Harry grasped onto Ginny’s hand and squeezed it tight. Ginny managed to smile weakly.

“We’ll get you to St. Mungo’s as soon as we can,” Harry said, as calmly as he could. “I “ wow, can you believe number two is on the way?”

Ginny looked at Harry’s face and could see the excitement hidden in it, under all the anxiety. She grinned through clenched teeth.

“I know,” she gasped. “It’s wonderful “ oww!”

She clasped her hands tighter over her belly. Harry looked stricken, but was soon nearly run over by an anxious Molly, Fred, George and Arthur, who was holding Lisle’s hand.

“Mummy!” Lisle ran over to her mother and stretched a small hand over Ginny’s stomach. “What’s happening? Is the baby kicking very hard?”

“Well it feels like it is,” Ginny answered, screwing her face up in pain. Molly kneeled down beside Ginny and felt her pulse. She looked concerned and placed a hand on Ginny’s stomach as well (Ginny felt like she was at a petting zoo). She kept it on for a few seconds and then turned to Arthur.

“Arthur, she’s in labour, send a memo to St. Mungo’s immediately,” Molly said, hurriedly. She then turned to Ginny as Arthur sped off. “Ginny dear, you and Harry come with me and Arthur. As soon as St. Mungo’s have been alerted, they’ll send a mediwitch here and they’ll bring an emergency Portkey.”

Ginny nodded, but Hermione looked up suddenly.

“I’m coming as well,” she said immediately.

“No, dear you stay here, this is your wedding,” Molly replied. “If Ginny really is giving birth, we’ll alert you and everyone else so you can come as well, but for now it’s best that only a few of us go.”

Hermione opened her mouth to say something, but then she closed it and nodded. Then she took Ginny’s hand and squeezed it.

“Ginny, I want to come along, you know that but “ ”

Ginny raised a hand up to shush Hermione. “Hermione, don’t worry about me,” she said confidently. “Harry will keep me company. You enjoy your wedding night.”

Hermione nodded. Ron bent down to give Ginny a hug. “We’ll look after Lisle for you,” he added, taking Lisle’s hand. “Come on sweetie.”

Lisle looked at Ginny, her face rather serious.

“Lisa, stay here with Coralie and everyone else. I’ll be back later, I promise,” Ginny said, kissing her forehead. Lisle nodded, and Ginny smiled.

“That’s my girl.”

“Molly! Ginny!”

Arthur was running up to them, his face rather flushed. “I’ve “ just informed St. Mungos,” he said, panting a little. “They’ve sent us the Portkey, and they’ve also said wait five minutes from when the contractions began. If she’s having false ones, they’ll go away, but if not…”

His voice tailed away, but everyone knew just what he meant.

“It’s “ been “ five “ minutes already,” Ginny huffed, clenching her teeth tightly. The pain was only worsening as another contraction began. “They’re “ not “ going “ away!”

Harry nodded his head briskly. A little more colour had returned to his cheeks now.

“Well, what are we waiting for?” he asked Arthur. “Where’s the Portkey?”

Arthur held out his hand. In it was a broken, muggle thermometer.

“That’s the Portkey?” Ginny asked.

“Yes,” Arthur replied, looking at his watch. “Right “ Molly, Harry and Ginny, all put a finger on it. In fifteen seconds, the Portkey will transport us. Everyone ready?”

The four all placed a finger on the broken thermometer and waited. Ginny’s heart pounded. The thought that she might soon be giving birth was all she could think of. Trying her best to stay calm, she gritted her teeth while the pain squeezed at her belly again.

“…Three, two, one…”

Ginny felt the familiar sensation of something jolting just above her navel. She caught a last glimpse of Hermione, Ron, Lisle and the others waving goodbye before they disappeared from her view.

****


“Ginny? Food’s on the table!”

“Coming, Mum!”

Ginny glanced in the mirror again, briefly. She could barely even waddle down the stairs now; she was already nine months pregnant. The baby was due soon anytime that week, the mediwitch had told her. Ginny had never felt more tense and scared in her life. The fact that she had a baby on the way was terrifying…but she had never felt more excited in her life.

And now, today, after not seeing Harry in nearly nine months, he was coming to dinner. Today. At the Burrow.

Ginny had graduated Hogwarts and passed her N.E.W.Ts well. Her parents were proud of her, and she was staying with them until the baby was born and she found a job. The students at Hogwarts knew all about her pregnancy, it was hard not to after a few months, but they had been surprisingly supportive. Half of the school knew about her and Harry’s relationship when she had been in the fifth year, so they had been nice to Ginny about it. Ginny felt so blessed and lucky to have such supportive friends and family.

She had not seen Harry since the day after she’d told him she was pregnant. He’d left the very next day, at the airport, to fly to Albania, the rumoured whereabouts of where Voldemort was hiding, and Ginny hadn’t been able to see him since.

Ron and Hermione were coming today as well. Ginny hadn’t seen them either, in nearly nine months, as they had gone with Harry to search for Horcruxes and Voldemort. They had sent owls, and Harry had asked her how she was in his letters, and how the pregnancy was coming, but Ginny felt like screaming in frustration every time she received a letter from Harry. She spent so much energy on trying to forget him and move on with her life, because she knew he wouldn’t come back to her and admit his passionate love for her. Every letter made it worse. It only underlined the fact that they had drifted apart in so many different ways, and for so many different, complicated reasons until Ginny felt like collapsing under the weight of it all, because she was still madly and desperately in love with him.

Nothing she could do would change that. He’d told her he loved her, but what difference did it make? Of course he would say that to her after one night of what had seemed like magic and fate, especially if she was vulnerable, young and pregnant. It seemed practically unreal now, the actual thought of him saying that seemed too good to be true and life didn’t work like that. Ginny had discovered that a long time ago.

“GINNY! I know you’re nine months pregnant, but that doesn’t prevent you from eating supper, does it?”

Ginny grinned, in spite of herself. “Coming, Mum!” she shouted down the stairs, and with one final glance in the mirror (to check her hair wasn’t being weird) she waddled down the stairs, the large baby bump forcing her to do so in a very duck-like fashion.

She reached the kitchen and glanced around. Hermione and Ron were sitting at the table, looking rather worn out from their flight, but Ginny grinned and fled towards them.

“Hermione! Ron!”

Hermione shrieked. “Ginny!” she hugged her as best as she could trying not to squash her belly. Ron hugged her as well, grinning widely.

“You’re so much bigger!” cried Hermione. “Last time we saw you, you weren’t showing at all and now…”

Ginny smiled. “Where’s Harry?” she asked.

Hermione and Ron exchanged looks of significance, and Hermione placed a hand on Ginny’s forearm gently.

“Ginny, I’m so sorry,” she said, her voice sympathetic, “but Harry couldn’t make it tonight. He’s got Auror training and they made him stay in later than us because he had extra work to catch up on.”

Ginny nodded, trying to hide her disappointment as she sat glumly at the table. She knew how important Harry’s career was to him; he, Ron and Hermione had been training in Albania as well as hunting Voldemort, and now they had returned to work here for the Ministry.

“I get it,” she said, as everyone else sat down to eat. “It’s okay, Hermione, I know it’s awkward for him.”

“It’s not like that “ ” Hermione began, but Ginny clasped her stomach in pain, gritting her teeth.

“Ginny?” Ron looked concernedly at his little sister, who was looking irritated.

“That’s like the second time now!” Ginny said, holding her stomach. “I got this sharp pain upstairs right before you called me down, Mum!”

Molly looked tense all of a sudden. “Oh Ginny, why didn’t you say so?” she moaned, jumping up. “It has to be contractions, Healer Green said “ ”

But all of a sudden, something wet trickled down Ginny’s leg. She peered at the puddle on the floor, amazed.

“My “ my water just broke!” she gasped. Molly shook her head.

“Right “ we’re getting you to the hospital immediately! The baby is on the way!”


****


“Excuse me “ we’ve got a seven-month-pregnant woman in labour, which floor is that for?”

Molly was standing with a sweaty, pale faced Ginny, with Harry and Arthur standing beside her. The blonde welcomewitch looked highly bored as she pointed to the doors.

“Third floor has a ward for patients going into labour, second left you get to when you reach it,” she said, barely batting an eyelid. “Next!”

“Come on, Ginny,” said Molly briskly, as Ginny staggered along, supported by Harry and Arthur. They reached the doors and entered the magically powered lifts. There was one man in the lift, with a teaspoon protruding from his ear. He looked very flustered.

Harry, Ginny, Arthur and Molly waited patiently while the lift reached Floor Two, and the man with a teaspoon in his ear exited the lift. A few seconds later the doors opened again and they all got out on Floor Three.

“Right,” Molly commanded. “Down here.”

They followed her down the corridor until they reached the door to the maternity unit. A young mediwizard was at the door, with a clipboard in his hand. He glanced at Ginny.

“What is her condition?” he asked, looking at her up and down.

“She’s seven months pregnant and she was dancing at a wedding when she started having contractions,” Molly replied. “We sent a memo about five or ten minutes ago “ ”

“Ah, Mrs. Potter,” he said, glancing at his clipboard. “Yes, right this way, please. Healer Smith is waiting, I believe.”

He led them to a room and showed them inside. There was a white hospital bed and a desk and chair next to it. The Healer, a blonde-haired witch in her mid-forties looked at Ginny.

“Please,” she gestured to the bed, which Ginny lay down on, her eyes darting around slightly nervously.

“All right, Mrs. Potter,” she said, checking her clipboard. “I hear you are seven months pregnant, and you’ve started having contractions?”

Ginny nodded, clutching her bump.

“They haven’t stopped?”

Ginny shook her head. “I waited five minutes, like the Healers said, but they didn’t go away.”

Smith nodded, not looking up from her clipboard. “Alright, Mrs. Potter, I’m going to just check you quickly. If your water has not yet broken, it means your baby may not be on the way quite yet, but I’m going to check anyway.”

Ginny nodded while the Healer murmured few spells, tapping Ginny’s stomach lightly with her wand. She took out a wizard’s stethoscope and listened first to Ginny’s heartbeat, then placed it on her stomach.

Ginny waited patiently, along with Harry, Molly and Arthur who were looking a little less flustered now. Smith took her time examining Ginny until she pulled the stethoscope out of her ears and noted something on her clipboard, as if writing a conclusion.

“Okay, Mrs. Potter, it seems you and your baby are in perfect health,” she said, looking up and smiling for the first time. “The contractions you have been experiencing are merely a false alarm, but it was a good idea to come into hospital. If they happen again, I shouldn’t worry if I were you, it happens to a lot of women, but only come if they continue for more than last time. Then you should alert St. Mungo’s immediately. If it happens repetitively, just take a few deep breaths, and in the meantime, try not to do too much vigorous exercise, which is probably what triggered these contractions to start.”

Ginny looked up at Harry, and then at the Healer. “So “ so I’m not going to give birth tonight?”

The Healer shook her head. “I highly doubt it. You may go back home tonight, but try not to bend over too far or reach too high for something, and if you do some sort of sport or running, I would advise you to leave it for a while, and mainly focus on resting and sitting a lot.”

Ginny nodded, but Harry looked odd. “But “ but what if she is in labour? Can’t you just “ ”

“I’m sorry Mr. Potter, but according to the results to my tests I have found no signs of labour at the moment,” Smith said.

“Harry, she’s right,” Ginny concluded. “It was all the dancing. I do need a little rest now, but I’d prefer it if we just went back to the Burrow.”

Harry nodded. “Alright.”

“There,” Smith said, smiling. “If anything else funny starts happening, come here again and we’ll check you over. You shouldn’t be due for another two months, but better safe than sorry.”

Ginny, Molly and Harry made their way to the door, Arthur holding it open for them, looking a little less pale, but slightly disconcerted all the same.

“Thank you,” Smith said, as they walked into the corridor. “I hope you have a nice evening. Goodnight.”

They bid her goodnight and made their way back to the mediwizard. Ginny felt relieved, in a sense.

I’m not having the baby tonight, she thought That’ll be news for the others. All this fuss over nothing, really.

Ginny grinned at the thought of Lisle’s expression when she told her she would have to wait another two months to see her little sister. She laughed to herself.

“What’s up?” Harry asked her.

“Oh nothing,” Ginny confided. “It’s just “ won’t Lisle be upset that she’ll have to wait another two months for her little sister to arrive?”

Harry grinned. “Oh I’m sure she’ll be fine,” he said, reassuringly. “She’s got her Uncle Ron, hasn’t she?”

“I suppose you’re right,” Ginny said, as they all piled into one fireplace, “and now her Aunt Hermione.”

“The Burrow!” Arthur shouted, throwing a handful of Floo powder in the coals. Ginny reached for Harry’s hand and squeezed it while the green flames roared up. They got once last glimpse of the bustling busyness of St. Mungo’s before the glittering green flames consumed them.

****


A/N: Hope you liked that! Please, feel free to leave a review ^^. I’m sorry this chappie was so short, hopefully the next chapter will be a little more interesting and longer.

Oh and there’s another thing I wanted to mention (it should hopefully be a little fun for you guys!). I’m having trouble on thinking of a name for the new baby in the story, so I decided to let you lot decide! Contact me if you have any good names, and I’ll decide on which in the best one, and put it up. ^_^ Thanks! (Over 100 reviews! You lot are fabulous!)

Oh and another thing, if Chapter Seven takes a little longer to update, please be patient, I'm trying to work on another fanfic, as I've had two new plot bunnies for two stories. Ideally, I wanted to write them after I'd finished "the new surprise", but I dunno how much longer it will go on for, so I thought I might start writing another fic as well. So if it's taking a little longer to update, don't worry, I haven't abandoned this story, I'm just working on another! ^^
The Thunderstorm by rache
A/N: Here’s Chapter Seven, and by the way, Hi again! Okay, this chapter jumps a little. I last left it at St. Mungo’s and this is a month later from Hermione and Ron’s wedding. Enjoy!


***



The next day, Ginny, Harry and Lisle left for home after assuring everyone that Ginny was fine. Ginny convinced a worried Hermione that she was fine, and waved goodbye as her and Ron left for their honeymoon.

Lisle, as predicted, was a little let down at the news of no baby. Still, she soon got over it and was back to her normal self in no time. Once at home, the days flew past, then the weeks, and soon Ginny was eight months pregnant. Barely able to even do the laundry, Harry helped around the house instead, but Ginny kept noticing that socks were getting mismatched (although she didn’t want to say anything).

Ginny’s nights were still proving to be hard. She would wake up at obscure hours and need food. Walking downstairs was getting harder and harder, but Ginny could just about make it. She was getting a little tired of pregnancy, like any other mother, but knew it would be over soon.

One particular night, Ginny went to bed as normal. She kissed Lisle goodnight as normal. She did everything else in a normal routine, including locking the back and front doors.

However, she couldn’t even predict how abnormal the night she was about to begin would become….

****




Rain beat down on the windowpanes and the wind howled outside. A tree blew about, their branches creaking and twigs snapping off. The wind let out a mournful whistle and a tree branch banged against the window, making a sudden, loud noise.

Ginny woke up with a start. She rolled over and peered out of the window. Rain lashed against the glass as the storm thundered on.

Ginny closed her eyes and attempted to sleep, but found she was already awake, and was thirsty. Silently, she pushed the covers off her, trying not to wake Harry.

She took her wand off the bedside table and lit it with a soft whisper of “Lumos!”. She gently eased the door open and made her way downstairs.

When she reached the kitchen, she lit the hanging chandelier and blinked in the bright light. She took a mug from the cupboard and poured some orange juice into it.

Vitamin C,Ginny thought as she drank it,good for the baby.

CRASH!

Ginny jumped violently as a bolt of thunder clapped outside, illuminating the dark, cloudy sky.

“Damn,” Ginny said to herself, “that’s a nasty storm outside.”

She drank the last of her orange juice, and peered up at the clock on the oven. It was a normal, Muggle clock that read: 2:30 AM. Ginny yawned, but didn’t feel tired. On the contrary, she felt wide-awake.

BOOM!

The thunder clapped again, but Ginny was ready for it this time, and did not flinch. Instead, she put the mug in the sink and made her way to the door, extinguishing the chandelier as she went.

She was about to go upstairs when she realised she’d left her reading book in the living room earlier on that day, and decided she’d quite like to read it now. It might help her to drift off.

She entered the living room and spotted her book. It was lying on the sofa. Ginny walked over and bent down to get it. As she was bending over, something white dancing on the wall caught her eye.

She turned around, looking for the dancing white thing. She soon spotted it on the wall again. It was coming from an open cupboard that was usually kept shut. Ginny had never opened it, it had always remained locked, but she’d never thought about what could be inside it.

Curiously, Ginny walked over to it. She squatted on her knees and eased the door open. Inside was a remarkable, marble basin, which contained a swirling silvery mass. It was a Pensieve.

Ginny had seen them before, in books for her classes, and she knew Professor Dumbledore had had one. Tracing her finger lightly round the rim, she gazed into its shining depths, watching every swirl. She moved her hands down the basin part slightly, picking it up gently. Underneath it, she noticed an old piece of folded parchment that was crinkled and torn slightly, as though someone had folded and unfolded it many times before.

Ginny set the Pensieve down again and picked up the parchment. Inquisitively, she unfolded it and recognized the curly handwriting as she read it.

To Harry Potter,

My great grandfather gave this to me when I was a young adult, saying I would need it one day. For a long time I never used it, but then one day, I discovered I had too many thoughts in my head, so I used the Pensieve, and found it a tremendous help. I decided, in your fifth year at Hogwarts, to leave this to you when I am gone. I realised there will be a time one day when you are old and grey, and you too will have too many thoughts in your head, so you will need a place to keep them safe. I hope you find it useful in years to come.

My kindest regards,
Prof. A. Dumbledore.


Ginny stared at the curly writing, then back at the shining Pensieve. So this was Dumbledore’s Pensieve. Why was it that Harry had never told her about the cupboard, and what lay inside it?

Suddenly, Ginny stiffened and sat up, listening hard. She had just heard a noise. It was a very faint scuffling, rather like footsteps.

She sat quite still, her heart thumping. Who was there? Or was it just Lisle?

After a few minutes, she decided it was probably Lisle or Harry moving in their sleep, so she relaxed. Then “ she heard it again, louder this time. The floorboards creaked.

“H “ Hello?” Ginny stammered.

Nobody answered. Ginny put the Pensieve and the note back, shut the cupboard and went out into the hallway. She gazed left and right.

“Harry, Lisle “ is that you?”

She walked slowly into the kitchen. She shivered. It was cold.

Then she noticed the back door in the kitchen was creaking open, letting rain in. Ginny was puzzled. She was sure she had locked the door “ so why was it hanging open like that?

Ginny walked over, shut the door tightly and bolted it. Then she stiffened, terrified. She heard could hear ragged breathing and footsteps behind her. She turned and her eyes widened.

A dark silhouette of a man was a few paces behind her, and he was pointing a wand at her. He was wearing black robes and a mask. Ginny opened her mouth to scream, but a hand behind her clapped over it and the next thing she heard was a thump and excruciating pain on her head. Everything went black as she fell…

*****


Upstairs, Harry lay sleeping, completely ignorant to the storm and happenings downstairs. He rolled over and reached out to pull Ginny closer to him, when his arm connected with thin air. Groping blindly for her, he still couldn’t reach anything. He opened his eyes and looked at the empty space beside him.

“Ginny?”

He opened his eyes widely now, and looked at the window that was blurred with raindrops. The heavy rumble of thunder could be heard far off. Peering at his watch, he could just make out that it was ten to three in the morning.

Wondering where on earth Ginny could be at this hour of the night (but not at all surprised), he stumbled out of bed and pulled his dressing gown on. He lit his wand-tip and opened the bedroom door. He looked down the corridor, but Ginny wasn’t there.

“I’ll bet she’s had a midnight craving or something,” Harry muttered to himself as he walked downstairs. “She’ll be baking cookies with mayonnaise centres or something.”

As he walked past the living room, he saw white light dancing on the walls. Stopping, he walked inside to investigate.

The cupboard door to his Pensieve was creaking open. Harry walked over to it, wondering if Ginny had seen it. Taking the smooth basin in his hands, he peered down into his thoughts. He could see one of his memories looking back at him, but there was no present-Ginny in them.

He put the Pensieve back and locked the cupboard door to make sure Lisle wouldn’t fall into the thoughts. He scratched his chin as he walked out of the living room. He walked down the hallway, shivering. It was cold tonight.

He entered the kitchen and found it quite dark, and with no Ginny in it. However, the back door was wide open, and cold gusts of wind and rain were coming through.

Harry was perturbed. Didn’t Ginny always lock the door? Why was it wide open now?

He walked over to it and stepped outside. It was icy-cold, even for summer.

“Ginny?” Harry called.

He got no answer, except for the howling wind. He walked down the steps and onto the grass, looking around. Still no Ginny.

“Ginny, where are you?”

Suddenly, something sodden on the ground caught his eye. He walked over to it and bent down to pick it up. Screwing his eyes up, Harry could make out what it was.

It was a white, satin handkerchief. There was a name embroidered on it with pink cotton.

Ginevra Molly Weasley.

Harry remembered. It was Ginny’s handkerchief, the one she carried absolutely everywhere. It had been a family heirloom for many years, passed down from mother to daughter. A sickening feeling of dread arose in Harry. Ginny wouldn’t leave something like this lying around. Harry felt as though he might be sick as he frantically searched the bushes, desperately.

****


Many miles off, Ginny was frantically trying to scream a scream which could be heard by no-one.

****



A/N: Dun-DUN-DAAAA!!! Okay, it’s official, I am like, the meanest author ever, am I not?? Sorry about the EVIL cliffie!! Mwah-ha-hah-hah-hah!!!

Oh and do any of you have free time? If you have a moment, please pretty please, read and review another fanfic of mine (its R/Hr) and you can view it in my profile. Please read it!! I will be forever grateful!! I don’t have many reviewers for it!! Thanks. :)
Escapology using Air Vents by rache
A/N: Hi again! I’m sorry about the wait, but I’d like to just make a point before I go on.
I’ve had a sudden load of reviews “ which is great, believe me I LOVE getting feedback “ but some people have been putting a lot of pressure on me to finish Chapter 8. All I can say is: I’m sorry, but be patient please!! It’s harder than it looks, and the computer I’ve saved this on is used by everyone in my family, so I can’t spend hours on end typing and stuff. I’ve had some reviews which I’m not sure whether you were joking or not about “ so please, I know I hate it when someone has left a story on a cliffhanger, but be patient! Writing is not just about speed “ it’s also about the quality of the work and the plotline, and I don’t have a beta, so I check my own work. Of course, having a beta slows things down slightly, so I chose not to get one (even though they are useful and helpful). Anyways, I’m just saying, I love getting reviews, but please don’t be impatient when it takes a week to update or whatever, because the queue takes a while as well. Okay, now I’ll let you read on, lol. ^_^



Rain splashed against Harry’s forehead, blurring his glasses, but he did not care. He ran as fast as he could, searching bushes and corners desperately. The thunder rumbled above him, and lighting seared across the sky, but it didn’t stop him.

“GINNY!”

He screamed her name, and nobody replied, except for the crash of thunder. He screwed up his face as he ran further, trying to hide the tears that were mingling with rain on his cheeks.

“GINNY! Answer me!!”

Harry couldn’t help himself. Roaring with rage at himself, he kicked a nearby rubbish skip over in frustration. Plastic bags and bits of paper littered the road, but he didn’t care. Slumping onto the pavement, he buried his wet face in his hands and began to let the tears run freely and silently into his wet hands.

I should have known this would happen. It’s my entire fault, how could I? And she’s pregnant too.

The rain beat down heavily, soaking Harry to the core, but he sat there, drenched, not caring about the rain or the storm. He didn’t know how long he sat for, but after what seemed a few minutes, he heard a voice behind him.

“Harry “ Harry Potter?”

Harry spun around wildly, and saw an old woman in a purple dressing gown standing behind him, holding an umbrella. Harry leapt up from the pavement. The woman was looking a little worried.

“You were shouting,” she commented unnecessarily. “I woke up because of the thunder and heard you shouting ‘Ginny’. She’s your wife isn’t she?”

Harry nodded, dazedly. “Er “ not to be rude, but who are you?” he asked.

The old woman smiled, her cornflower eyes crinkling. “I’m your neighbour, Mrs. Jones. I don’t know you very well “ but Ginny occasionally swapped cooking recipes with me. She comes in for tea sometimes “ we have conversations sometimes, and that little girl of yours “ Lisle “ is a sweetheart, bless her.”

Harry immediately clicked. “Oh “ of course! You’re Mrs. Jones, oh now I remember. Listen “ not that I don’t want to stay and chat “ but I’ve got to go. Lisle’s at home on her own and I can’t leave her.”

Mrs. Jones smiled broadly. “Well forgive me Mr. Potter, but if your little girl is at home alone, surely you’d have remembered to cast the Secure-Home Spell on your house, to protect her?”

Harry stared.

“You’re “ you’re a - ?”

“A witch, yes,” Mrs. Jones said, conversationally. “Oh yes. I never told you, or Ginny, but I like my quiet life see, and people knowing I’m a witch can lead to questions.”

Harry was still a little stunned that he had never known this “ but had more pressing matters on his mind right now.

“Look “ er “ Mrs. Jones,” he said, hurriedly, “I’ve got to go back home. The truth is “ I don’t know where Ginny is. I found her handkerchief just lying on the grass in our garden just now, and so I think she might be “ well “ I…”

Mrs. Jones inclined her head towards the Potters’ house. “Lead the way.” She said.

Harry walked as briskly as he could, trying not to run incase Mrs. Jones couldn’t keep up “ but he found she walked just as briskly as he did.

“Here,” Harry said, as they arrived at the house. Mrs. Jones nodded, and followed Harry to the back garden.

Harry walked up the steps leading to the kitchen, and closed the door after Mrs. Jones. She went into her pocket and pulled out a long, mahogany wand and waved it at the chandeliers, which lit themselves.

“I’m going to contact the Order of the Phoenix “ you know them?” Harry asked.

“Yes, of course,” Mrs. Jones said, “while you do that, I’ll go and check on your little girl shall I?”

Harry hesitated for a moment, seeing as he barely knew Mrs. Jones, but then nodded curtly.

“Up the stairs and on the first left,” he told her as she hurried out. Taking a pot of glittering Floo powder, Harry walked into the living room and lit the fireplace with his wand.

“Alright,” he said to himself, placing the pot on the floor and kneeling down. “Here goes.”

He threw a handful of green powder into the flames, which hissed and shot up like emerald serpents. Sticking his head only into the flames, Harry coughed but uttered:

“Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place!”

His head revolved suddenly and a roaring sound filled his ears as the fireplace spun before his eyes, flashes of other fires catching his eyes as green flames licked his hair and ears. The roaring died down a little and the revolving skidded slowly to a halt. Harry opened his eyes widely (for he had squeezed them almost shut) and peered into the dark living room of Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place.

“Hello?”

Remus Lupin was lying in an armchair, falling asleep over a large book, his eyelids drooping. Harry cleared his throat loudly and Remus started, looking around at Harry.

“Goodness Harry, you gave me a fright!” he said, peering at his watch as he strode over to the fire and sat on the hearthrug next to the fireplace where Harry’s head lay. “What on earth are you here for at this hour of the night “ or morning to be precise?”

“Hi Remus,” Harry said, rather quickly, “sorry about it being so late “ but I had to contact the Order immediately. You see, a rather awful thing has happened “ Ginny, I don’t know where she is, and I think she got taken away during the night when she went downstairs.”

Remus looked extremely grave all of a sudden. He straightened up and looked concernedly at Harry.

“What happened?” he asked, leaning forwards a little.

“Well I don’t know,” Harry admitted, “last time I saw her was right before we’d both gone to bed “ at half-past ten “ and I think she must have gotten hungry or something during the night, because I woke up a little while ago to find her missing. I went downstairs to find her, and then I found this handkerchief in the garden “ the one she’s had in the family for years. She wouldn’t just leave it there, Remus, I know her. I think she was unconscious when it fell out of her pocket.”

Remus was looking very grave now. “Wait right there,” he said, scrambling up, “I’ll contact the others immediately. I’ll send some of them round to yours in a couple of minutes. Go back and check the house “ you never know what they could’ve left. And also, check up on Lisle, just make sure she’s okay.”

Harry nodded. “Thanks Remus,” he said, gratefully, despite being terrified for Ginny.

Remus nodded, grimly. “Just go back. We’ll find out who did this “ don’t worry.”

****


Ginny opened her eyes hazily. The room she was in was dark. Very dark.

Whispers echoed around the room, but Ginny couldn’t see who was talking. She felt very weak, and had her arms tied behind her back. She tried moving, but pain shot up her spine, making her head ache. She remembered someone hitting her hard on the forehead “ and could feel a bruise coming up.

Where’s Harry? she wondered, desperately, Why did they take me? Where am I? Is Lisle okay?

All the unanswered questions in her mind were making her head reel, so she squeezed her eyes shut, tears stinging on her eyelids.

“Well, well, well,” a cruel voice chimed, and Ginny snapped her eyes open. “Our “ ah “ guest is waking up finally. Perhaps we can give her a proper welcome.”

Ginny looked up at a hooded figure, who was walking towards her. The voice was vaguely familiar, and instead of it striking a note of fear inside her, she felt suddenly rather angered by it.

“What do you want with me?” she asked fiercely, wriggling against her bonds. The hooded person laughed a completely mirthless cackle.

“What do I want from you?” the person asked, sounding rather amused by her question. “Perhaps you should start by telling me about the night your friends “ including that Harry Potter “ killed the most powerful wizard of all time. Or perhaps you could tell me the whereabouts of the Order of the Phoenix? That at least would make you something slightly more useful than the lowly, scummy, worthless blood-traitor that you are.”

Ginny felt a wave of anger surge over her “ she definitely knew that voice, but she couldn’t think who it was.

“You can go to hell!” she spat, her eyes cold. The hooded person laughed that heartless laugh, along with others joining in “ others she could not see but knew were lurking in the shadows somewhere.

“Unfortunately, it is not up to you to tell me what to do. It is the other way round now,” the hooded person said. Ginny narrowed her eyes.

“Who are you?” she asked, distastefully. “What do you want with me anyway?”

“Well that is an interesting question,” the person said, in a tone that suggested they were simply discussing Quidditch, “and I suppose the answer is not quite as interesting. Harry Potter of course. He has managed to escape countless of near-death battles, and yet he sleeps quite soundly now in his bed, without a care in the world. What, then, do we want with you? I’d thought it be obvious by now.”

Ginny didn’t say anything, but kept her eyes narrowed.

“Harry Potter will do anything for you,” the person continued, in a soft voice. “He might even risk his own life for you. Now I suppose you don’t need us to explain why you are here?”

Ginny’s heartbeat quickened, but remained silent. She knew Harry would not sit still in a situation like this, and she wouldn’t let him risk himself while she was still unhurt and not in danger.

“You might next ask, why it has been so long before we made a move on Potter? All these years…but we have thought it out carefully. The Dark Lord was cunning, and even though he is gone, those who are loyal to him still remain, faithful as ever, waiting to finish off Harry Potter, to finally carry out what he has been trying to do since Potter was a year old.”

“Yeah, well, Voldemort’s gone now,” Ginny said bluntly, taking pleasure at the collective gasps and flinches that went around the room at the sound of his name. “And the whole point of him trying to kill Harry was so he wouldn’t have a rival. So does it matter now, him being dead and all? What’s the point? It’s a waste of time.”

“How “ dare “ you!” a hooded female voice from the shadows. “You “ you filthy little blood traitor!”

“Calm down, Bellatrix,” the hooded person in front of Ginny said, holding a hand up to silence her. Then the person turned back to Ginny.

“So you have started copying Potter, like the rest of the cowards who have no idea of the Dark Lord’s powers, and saying his name? It is not bravery, I assure you, but mere stupidity.”

Ginny lifted her chin up, defiantly. “Oh yeah? Well excuse me for not being afraid of a dead guy…”

“You will not speak of him like that!” the hooded person hissed, menacingly, and the others murmured in approval.

“I’ll say whatever I want,” Ginny retorted, “and anyway, you still haven’t answered my question: who are you?”

Ginny could tell the hooded person was smiling.

“Oh I’m sure you wouldn’t want to know,” the person said, softly. “But as you wish.”

Slowly, the hooded person lifted the hood off their face, and Ginny instantly recognised the black, greasy curtain of hair framing his face, and the black, fathomless eyes.

Snape?”

Snape chuckled and slowly the others stepped out from the shadows, revealing their faces. Bellatrix Lestrange was among them, a curled grin on her lips. Ginny stared around at them all, barely believing it was all true.

“We should not want to disturb your already broken up night anymore,” Snape continued, watching Ginny’s horrorstruck face, “so we shall leave you to sleep. And by morning? You’ll have to wait and see.”

Snape laughed a cruel laugh, along with the other Death Eaters, before all turning and leaving the room, closing the heavy door with a loud bang.

Ginny struggled against the ropes around her wrists, and, now she noticed, around her feet as well. She had to get out “ there were at least twenty of them, and she was already eight months pregnant.

Tears slid down her cheeks, as she fought against the bonds. What if Harry and Lisle were in danger? How could she warn them, when she was sitting in a cold, dark cell, tied up and barely able to walk up stairs with the weight of the baby?

“Psssst!”

Ginny swivelled her head round, trying to find the source of the noise she had just heard. “Hello?” she asked, a little suspiciously.

“Up here,” the voice came, from the ceiling. Ginny peered up and saw a vent in the ceiling. Someone was behind them.

“Who is it?” she asked, craning her neck round to try and see who it was. The person tugged at the bars and pulled them away. Ginny caught a glimpse of silvery white.

“Watch out, I’m jumping,” the person said, and Ginny wriggled as best as she could out of the way. The person jumped and landed on their feet, agile as a cat.

It was Draco Malfoy. Ginny gazed at him, shocked. What on earth was he doing here?

“What are you doing, Malfoy?” Ginny spat at him in fury. He was her sworn enemy, along with all the rest of the Gryffindors during her day at Hogwarts “ so why was he here now?

Malfoy walked over to her and pulled out his wand. He waved it at her wrists and feet and the ropes untied themselves. Ginny massaged her wrists and then felt her tummy, as though to check on the baby. Then she turned to Malfoy and slapped him round the face, without further thought.

“Ouch!” he cried, reeling backwards angrily. “What was that for? I just untied you!”

“Yes, you did,” Ginny said coldly. “But I don’t know why, do I? Perhaps you’re just about to whisk me and my baby off to some death chamber a kill us.”

Malfoy looked hurt and confused. “Why would I want to kill you or your baby?”

Ginny shrugged. “Beats me. My point is that I don’t trust you, never have, and never will. You’re a bloody Death Eater for crying out loud!”

Malfoy sighed. “Correction, I was a Death Eater. I changed after Voldemort died. I never could kill Dumbledore “ and I couldn’t bring myself to kill Potter either. My father hates me “ so I’m sort of on the run at the moment. I knew about their plot to kidnap you though, I keep track of them just incase, so I came to rescue you.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. “Still not buying it, Malfoy,” she said, adamantly.

Malfoy sighed even louder, and pulled back the sleeve of his left forearm. He pointed to his wrist, where an angry red burn was, half covering a green skull with a snake tongue. The Dark Mark.

Ginny traced her finger over it, her mouth open. “It “ it’s gone?” she remarked, looking at him. Malfoy nodded.

“I did that to myself, just to prove to my father that I had changed. He disowned me and threatened to kill me. I escaped him, and then went on the run. I’ve been like that ever since Potter defeated Voldemort “ sneaking around the Death Eaters. But I have to watch out for Snape “ he’s also after me as well.”

Ginny dropped Malfoy’s arm and ran her fingers through her hair. “I “ guess that means you’re not…”

Malfoy shook his head. “No. I’m not.”

Ginny didn’t understand why she believed him “ but he had just given her proof, and she knew, somehow, that he wasn’t lying.

“Listen Weasley “ or Potter now I suppose “ you have to trust me,” Malfoy said, before Ginny could apologise. “You’re in danger “ and I can get you out of here. Just trust me on this one, okay? I can get you out and Apparate you back to Potter. Can you do that?”

Ginny nodded. “But I can’t walk very quickly,” she added, indicating her belly, “I’m too far along in my pregnancy.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Malfoy said, “I can help you. We just have to be really quiet. We’ll go up the vent “ I’ll give you a leg up.”

He stood up and extended his hand to Ginny, to help her up. Clutching her stomach, Ginny peered up at the vent. It seemed a long way up. But Malfoy had grown “ he was now at least six foot tall.

“What about you?” Ginny asked him. “How will you get up?”

“I can manage,” Malfoy said. “You’ll just need to pull me up, if you can.”

Ginny nodded. “I can do that.”

“Okay, I’ll crouch down, and you stand on my shoulders, alright?” Malfoy said, crouching down so Ginny could get onto his shoulders. Tentatively, Ginny stepped onto his back and then onto his shoulders. She held her breath nervously while he slowly stood up, clutching her ankles as she wobbled precariously on his shoulders.

“Can “ you “ reach “ the “ vent?” Malfoy panted.

“Yes,” Ginny answered, reaching for the edge of the vent. Pulling herself up, she felt her feet leave Malfoy’s shoulders, and he pushed on her feet with his hands. Ginny scrambled up into the vent and peered down at Malfoy.

“I’m up!” she said, giving him the thumbs up. Malfoy reached his arms as far as he could get them and Ginny leaned down, grabbing onto the tightly.

“Right, now PULL!” Malfoy said, and Ginny heaved him up as hard as she could. He grabbed onto the edge of the vent, and with Ginny’s help, scrambled up as well. Both panting, the pair leaned against the walls, mopping their brows.

“Good work,” Malfoy told Ginny, who nodded.

“You too,” she said, “now which way?”

Malfoy jerked his thumb ahead. “This way. I’ll lead “ you can crawl can’t you? We’ll be a bit cramped, but fortunately it doesn’t go on for too long. If something happens to either of us, stop moving. That’ll be our signal.”

Ginny nodded. “My “ wand,” she said, feeling her pockets. “It’s at home.”

Malfoy pulled out his own. “I light mine and lead the way, okay?”

Ginny nodded, and Malfoy began to crawl forward and she followed.

The tunnel went on for a bit. Every now and then, they would come to a fork or a bend and Malfoy would lead the way. Ginny’s hands and knees were getting a little sore “ and her back ached from the strain her belly was putting on it.

“Stop here,” Malfoy said eventually, stopping himself and pointing at a vent beneath him. Ginny stopped crawling, panting heavily.

Malfoy pulled the vent off. He peered down.

“We’re in luck,” he said to Ginny, who was kneeling down, rubbing her tummy. “The drop isn’t too far. I’ll jump down first and then catch you, okay?”

Ginny felt a bit alarmed. “What if you miss?”

“I won’t,” Malfoy assured her, getting ready to jump. Putting his legs through the hole, he let go and landed with a soft thump. Ginny bent over the hole to check if he had landed safely. He had landed on his feet again. He turned up at Ginny.

“I’m okay,” he said, outstretching his arms. “Now you jump.”

Ginny braced herself nervously, knowing they didn’t have much time. She put her legs through the hole and exhaled loudly.

“Here goes!”

She let go and felt herself fall. Malfoy caught her in his arms, and she breathed a sigh of relief.

“Thanks,” she said as he put her down, “Now where?”

Malfoy looked ahead. “This way,” he commanded, and lead the way, Ginny walking as fast as she could. They walked down a corridor, and reached a door. Malfoy opened it, and lead Ginny outside.

They walked on for a bit, through dark trees and undergrowth, until Malfoy stopped and glanced both ways.

“Here,” he said, taking Ginny’s arm. “Hold onto my arm “ I’ll Apparate us back.”

Ginny nodded and grasped his arm tightly.

“One…Two…Three!”

She felt as though she had jerked forward into a very tight, dark tunnel. Everything pressed against her, her lungs felt as though they were being forced down. She could not see or breathe, she felt as though she was being compressed into a tight box…

Then with a sudden jerk, she landed onto solid ground.

****


Harry was pacing the living room. Members of the Order were murmuring amongst themselves, while others had taken to making tea in the kitchen. Some had gone up the road, searching and calling, just incase.

This is my fault,Harry kept thinking, even though he knew it wasn’t. I should have been protecting her properly…

“Harry?”

Harry stopped pacing and looked up. It was Mrs. Jones. She was holding a mug of tea out for him.

“Thanks Mrs. Jones,” he said, gratefully taking the mug. He took a sip and burned his tongue.

“Careful, it’s hot,” Mrs. Jones advised, as he spat his mouthful back into the mug.

“Yeah,” Harry said, setting the mug down on a nearby lamp table, “I’ll wait for it to cool.”

Harry sank onto the sofa, running his hands through his hair, and rubbing his eyes wearily. “It’s been a stressful night,” he said, as Mrs. Jones sat down next to him, “how’s Lisle?”

Mrs. Jones took a sip of tea from her own mug that she was holding. “She’s settled down again. She was awake when I went up “ and frightened. She was all curled up under the covers, holding onto her pillow. She said the storm had woke her up, so I read her a story and she’s fast asleep again.”

Harry smiled. “Thanks Mrs. Jones,” he said, while she waved a breezy hand at him.

“Please, call me Deirdre,” she said, taking a swig of tea. “She doesn’t know about Ginny though “ I thought it would be best not to say anything to her yet.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, fiddling with his dressing robe girdle. He could feel Deirdre looking at him, so he took a swig of tea, even though it was still hot.

“They’ll find her,” Deirdre said softly, and Harry looked up at her. “Ginny. The Order will find her.”

Harry nodded, his throat feeling tight. “I’ve been thinking of girl names,” he admitted, trying to change the subject slightly, “you know, for the baby when it comes. It’s a girl you know.”

“Two little girls,” Deirdre said, her eyes crinkling as she smiled. “I bet Lisle’s thrilled. So, what have you come up with?”

“Well,” Harry began, fidgeting a little, “I had thought of the name Amy. I haven’t told Ginny yet.”

“Amy,” Deirdre repeated, staring into space as though considering it. “That’s a pretty name. It means ‘beloved’. Have you thought of a middle name?”

“Well…” Harry continued, knowing he had thought of the perfect middle name, “I think Amy Joy sounds nice. It’s not too fancy, but not too plain.”

Deirdre smiled and sipped at her tea. “I agree.”

“Harry!”

Harry looked up. Tonks was standing in the doorway, panting as though she had run a long way. He leapt up.

“What is it?” he demanded. “Did you find something else belonging to her?”

Tonks clutched her side and panted hard. “Not exactly. Harry “ we found Ginny…and Draco Malfoy was with her.”

****


Ginny stood next to Malfoy, who was supporting her with his right arm. She felt exhausted by the entire happenings of the night, and all she wanted now was to see Harry and Lisle, and to check if they were all right. The rain was falling lightly now “ the storm had passed. The sky was inky blue and streaked with red, and the sun was only just beginning to rise. Ginny could tell it was at least five o’clock in the morning.

“Ginny! Is that you?”

Ginny peered at a figure running towards her “ three others were following.

“Tonks?”

Ginny jogged towards Tonks, who hugged her tightly when she came nearer, whooping with delight.

“We were so WORRIED!” she exclaimed, as the others caught up. Ginny recognised Kingsley Shacklebolt and Remus Lupin, and there was another member of the Order whom she did not know.

“We’re so glad you’re safe,” Tonks continued, as Remus gave her a fatherly sort of hug. “Harry was beside himself “ he’s worried sick. Lisle’s all right though “ she’s still asleep “ what happened to you?”

Ginny held up her hand to silence Tonks, and turned to Malfoy. He was looking rather nervous.

“What’s he doing here?” Kingsley asked dismissively, while Tonks looked as though she might beat him up.

“I know you all think he’s a Death Eater,” Ginny said quickly, stopping Tonks from pelting at Malfoy, “but he’s got evidence that he changed “ he’s the one who saved me “ and I would probably still be kidnapped if it wasn’t for him. Please “ believe me.”

Ginny looked round at them pleadingly. Remus was wearing a grave expression, Kingsley looked as though there was a bad smell in the air, and Tonks looked simply livid.

“I want to see Harry,” Ginny continued, softly. “Is he here?”

Tonks nodded, not taking her gaze off Malfoy. “I’ll go get him,” she replied, before sprinting up the road.

Ginny sat down on the pavement, her hand resting on her large bump. Kingsley glared at Malfoy, who was looking as though he wanted the earth to swallow him up. The minutes passed in long silence “ only broken by the twittering of birds waking up.

Soon enough, Ginny spotted Harry running towards her, followed by Tonks. Ginny leapt up and jogged as quick as she could to reach Harry.

“Ginny!” he exclaimed hoarsely, hugging her tightly. “I was so worried!”

Ginny felt happy tears creep up as she hugged Harry. He gently picked up her chin and kissed her, and she kissed him back.

Harry eventually broke off, looking at Malfoy with a scowl. He began to walk up to him, but Ginny intervened.

“Harry, I know what you think he is, but he’s changed,” Ginny began hurriedly. Harry ignored Ginny and continued to glare at Ginny.

“Malfoy “ show him!” Ginny cried desperately. Malfoy pulled his sleeve up. There was a sudden intake of breath from Tonks as they looked at the mangled Dark Mark burned into his skin.

“I changed after Voldemort died,” Malfoy told them, shaking his sleeve back. “My father disowned me, so I’ve been living here and there for the past few years. Right now I’m living with a good friend, but I’m hunting for a house.”

Harry still looked as though he was not quite sure about Malfoy, but refrained from speaking. Instead, he put a protective arm around Ginny.

“Tell me exactly what happened,” he asked her.

Ginny explained everything, from the glass of orange juice, to the Death Eaters including Snape, and then explained how Malfoy had saved her by going through the air vents, and then Apparating back. Malfoy kept quiet, but kept an eye on Kingsley, who still looked a little suspicious.

“…And then we arrived back here,” Ginny ended after a good ten minutes of explaining. Harry looked at Malfoy for a few seconds, then extended his hand to shake. Malfoy looked surprised but grasped Harry’s hand and shook it.

“I’d like to just say “ thanks “ I guess,” Harry told Malfoy awkwardly. “If you hadn’t saved Ginny I dread to think of where she might be now.”

Malfoy acknowledged this and gave Harry a curt nod. “You’re welcome.”

“Er “ not to break up this little party, but we’d better head back up to the house,” Tonks cut in, and everyone looked round at her. “I mean “ the rest of the Order want to know you’re safe, Ginny.”

Ginny nodded. “Let’s go then.”

And the group headed up the road, back to the house, where the others were waiting.

****


“I assure you that I am fine, Mrs. Jones. Thank you so much for looking after Lisle,” Ginny said, telling who had seemed the tenth person to ask about how she was. Mrs. Jones smiled.

“My pleasure, dear, I’m glad you’re safe,” she said, patting Ginny on the arm. “I’ll just take this empty pot of tea to the kitchen.”

And she walked off, leaving Ginny in the dining room, which faced the back garden. Ginny peered out of the window and saw Malfoy pacing round the garden, looking as though he did not want to intrude. Ginny smiled, and walked out to the garden.

She stepped down the steps into the back garden and onto the lawn. Malfoy noticed her and stopped pacing.

“Hey,” Ginny said, walking over to him. “I’d like to just thank you again for saving my life Malfoy. I’m sorry I hit you.”

Malfoy smiled a genuine smile and waved a hand. “Don’t mention it. It hurt a little, but I deserve it, for once being a Death Eater.”

Ginny smiled. “Maybe I can hug you goodbye then?”

“Yeah, okay,” Malfoy said. Ginny put her arms around him in a friendly manner and he did the same. It was a brief hug, but Malfoy grinned as he stepped away from her.

“Have a nice life,” he told her, and she nodded and smiled.

“Same to you,” she said.

“Hey Malfoy!”

The pair turned and saw Harry running up to them, looking determined.

“Potter,” he said. Harry gave him a curt nod.

“I’d like to just say “ you did a good thing Malfoy,” Harry said. “I wouldn’t have expected it from you, but I guess I expected wrongly. I suppose I’m trying to say “ well thanks.”

Malfoy nodded. “I understand. I guess it’s goodbye now.”

He extended his hand to Harry who shook it, and smiled.

“See you two around,” Malfoy said with a wave, and with a loud pop he Disapparated.

Harry slipped his arm around Ginny, who kissed him softly on the lips.

“Oh Harry “ I was so scared,” she admitted, hugging him. “That whole time I thought that they might do something to you or Lisle “ ”

Harry took her firmly by the shoulders, cutting her off. “It’s all right Ginny. All that matters right now is that you’re safe, Lisle’s safe, I’m safe and the baby’s safe.”

Ginny smiled and exhaled loudly, resting her cheek against Harry’s shoulder.

“And speaking of the baby,” Harry began, straightening his glasses, “I’ve thought of a name for her.”

Ginny sighed and let out a groan. “Harry for the last time, I am not letting you call her Edwina…”

“That’s not the one I was thinking of,” Harry told her. Ginny straightened up and looked at him.

“Oh,” she said, grinning sheepishly. “Let’s hear it then.”

“Well,” Harry said, “I wondered if you liked the name Amy. It means ‘beloved’. And for a middle name I liked Joy. See, it’s not too fancy and it’s not too plain.”

Ginny considered for a moment. “Amy Joy…” she said aloud, going over it in her head.

“It’s all right if you don’t like it,” Harry began quickly, but Ginny smiled at him.

“I like that,” she said, slipping her arm around his waist. “It seems to rhyme, in an odd sort of way. Let’s keep it for her.”

Harry grinned down at Ginny and hugged her again, patting her bump.

“Hello Amy,” he said to Ginny’s stomach. “Your mother and I, and your big sister are looking forward to meeting you.”

Ginny grinned and looked through the trees, and watched the golden, red-streaked horizon, feeling happy and contented as she stood in Harry’s arms.

Now she felt…safe.

****



A/N: Awwww! Now doesn’t that make up for me being so evil in the last chapter? Sorry the baby isn’t born yet, but at least it has a name! Please don’t be mad that I didn’t pick some of the names that were suggested, but I could only pick one! (Well actually two “ a middle and first). See you next chapter!
PS. I know the Malfoy being good is a little AU, but its not that bad, but I just put a little warning in the summary anyways...

Oh and another PS here, about the masked gun man in chapter 7? I know some of you wondered why he was holding a gun, and when i wrote chapter 8 i realised the gun thing didn't really fit - so I've gone back and changed it to wand. Just so you know. :)
"She's beautiful" by rache
Author's Notes:
The next few days were tiring for Ginny. A few members of the Order had been round several times, checking up on her, to see if she was all right. Harry was doing all he could to help her, and she spent a lot of time lounging on the sofa, her feet propped up on a stool, reading Witch Weekly.

Lisle didn’t know about Ginny being kidnapped. Harry and Ginny had decided not to tell her, in fear of upsetting her. As Ginny had taken to sitting on the couch most of the day, Lisle hopped onto her lap, either for a cuddle or for a story with Ginny.

It had been a week now, since the incident, and Ginny knew that the baby would be born very soon, so she took the Healer’s advice, and did not do much strenuous exercise, so as not to strain herself. She was growing tired, and her fingers and toes were swelling up. She had taken her engagement ring off, and put it in a safe box upstairs. Lisle had been allowed to try it on briefly before she did so (and the little girl enjoyed being so “grown up”).

On Saturday, the fifth of August, while Ginny was sitting in the front room reading a Muggle book Hermione had lent her (The Da Vinci Code), Harry came in with a mug of tea and a couple of chocolate chip cookies on a plate. He was wearing a pink flowery apron (which Ginny recognised) and his wand was tucked behind his ear for safekeeping. Ginny put her book down and eyed him up and down, a smile playing on her lips.

“Well don’t you look dashing,” she said, grinning at him. “Borrowed my apron? Since when do you cook?”

Harry looked a little sheepish. “Er “ the kitchen’s in a bit of a mess,” he confessed, as Ginny raised her eyebrows, “but I’ll clear it up, I swear. I just made some cookies “ I thought you could use a cup of tea and a snack.”

“Thanks,” Ginny said, taking the mug and plate, scooting along a little so Harry could sit down. “Where’s Lisle?”

“She’s in the garden, playing with Georgia,” Harry said. Georgia was their next door neighbor, a responsible, fourteen-year old witch whom Lisle adored. “She offered to baby-sit while I was baking.”

“Well, I trust Georgia, she’s very good with Lisle,” Ginny said, taking a bite of cookie. “Mm…Harry these are great!”

“Er “ thank you,” Harry replied. “Although the first two batches were burnt, but third time lucky eh?”

“Yeah,” Ginny said, nonchalantly, scanning her eyes over the room. She suddenly caught sight of the cupboard and remembered what she had found in it.

“Harry?” Ginny asked, looking back at him. “You know the other day “ when I was kidnapped? I came down for a drink in the middle of the night, as I told you, and while I was down I noticed that cupboard door was open “ and I saw…I saw your Pensieve.”

Harry frowned. “Yes, I came down a bit later to find the cupboard door swinging open. I thought “ perhaps maybe you had fallen into my thoughts.”

There was a slight pause, while Ginny thought.

“Were you “ er “ planning on telling me, or were they private thoughts?” she asked. Harry sighed.

“No, they weren’t very private,” he answered, “but I didn’t think it would bother you, that’s all.”

“Oh, I’m not bothered,” Ginny said quickly, with a smile. “I didn’t see anything “ except for the note.”

There was another slight pause.

“Harry?” Ginny asked tentatively.

“Mmm?”

“Do you mind if I “ I dunno “ use the Pensieve sometimes, to store some of my thoughts?”

Harry looked back at her, his jaw moving slowly as he munched his cookie. Then he swallowed and cleared his throat.

“I don’t mind you using it,” he said. “Just make sure it stays shut, okay? I don’t want Lisle falling into it and seeing something she wouldn’t understand.”

Ginny nodded. “Yeah,” she said, sitting back, rubbing her belly. She moaned softly.

“I’m so tired,” she whined, stifling a yawn. “Being pregnant is great, but it does get boring after a while.”

Harry grinned. “You know, we haven’t had time to just be together for a while now,” he said, pointing his wand to the door, and it shut with a snap. “Lisle’s out in the garden and won’t be back in for a bit…”

A smile crept onto Ginny’s face. “You can’t mean…” she began, but Harry started to kiss her. Not wanting to object, Ginny kissed him back. They had been kissing for a few minutes when Ginny felt a harsh, sudden pain in her stomach. She broke off, looking puzzled.

“What’s the matter?” Harry asked her. She shook her head.

“Nothing “ it’s “ I thought it was perhaps…”

Her voice trailed away, but after a few seconds of waiting, she resumed kissing Harry. Then, about half a minute later, Ginny felt the pain again.

She broke off for the second time. She put a hand on her stomach and gritted her teeth while another wave of pain came over her.

“Harry “ I “ think…” Ginny began, but Harry jumped up, his face suddenly very serious.

“She’s coming, isn’t she?”

Ginny nodded, clasping her stomach.

Harry didn’t need telling twice. “Stay right here,” he told her, rushing off to the dining room, “I’m sending St. Mungos a memo straightaway.”

“Okay,” Ginny said, through clenched teeth. The pain subsided for a moment, and she relaxed. She was beginning to feel she had imagined it all when Harry came rushing back into the room.

“I’ve sent them a memo,” he said breathlessly, “and your hospital bag is upstairs, I’ve got it in the hallway “ ”

“Harry,” Ginny said, feeling her stomach. “The pain “ it’s gone.”

Only as she said it, something wet poured down her leg, making a wet patch on the sofa. Both Harry and Ginny stared at it, amazed.

“Right,” Ginny said shakily, “well that means…”

Harry nodded, shaking. “Come on,” he said, helping her up, his hands quivering. She stood crookedly, pain twisting at her belly. “I’ll Floo your mum and dad, and get them to take Lisle to the hospital. There’s no time to wait for them after we’ve informed them “ we’ll leave Lisle with Georgia and then they can collect her here and take her. Wait here while I Floo your parents.”

He gave her an encouraging smile and Ginny walked out into the corridor as he dashed back to fireplace. She sat on the squashy chair in the corridor as she waited. Her ‘emergency labour’ bag as Harry called it sat on the hall table. Ginny picked it up gently and looked through it. Two pairs of baggy tracksuit pants and baggy shirts, clean socks, underwear, disposable diapers, her washbag…etc. She smiled as she pulled out a little pocket picture album. The first picture was of her, Harry and Lisle all standing together. Lisle was waving and sticking her tongue out cheekily, and Harry was laughing, his arm around Ginny. The photographic Ginny beamed at Harry and waved as well.

“Ready?”

Ginny looked up. Harry was standing there. She closed the album, and stood up. Suddenly she felt another contraction and gritted her teeth. Harry took her arm. Ginny let out a slow screech as the pain reached an aching climax, but after a while it slowly went away, and she opened her eyes (which had been screwed shut) to see Harry looking concernedly at her.

“I’m okay,” she panted, wiping her sweaty forehead. “I just have to get to St. Mungos “ now…”

Harry nodded. “Come on, I’ll help you,” he said helping her walk to the dining room. When they had reached the fireplace Harry threw a handful of Floo Powder into it. Green flames shot up.

“We’ll go together, even though it’ll be a bit of a squeeze,” he said, helping Ginny into the fire. Warm flames tickled Ginny’s elbows and chin.

“St. Mungos!” Harry cried once they were in properly. Ginny felt the familiar sickening spinning, the whooshing sounds and little glimpses of other wizard’s fireplaces as they sped through the green flames…

“Ginny? Do you have a moment?”

Ginny spun around. Harry was standing behind her, looking rather nervous. She smiled at him, and planted a kiss on his cheek.

It was late October, and the trees had lost their leaves. They lay in beautiful orange and red mounds, which Lisle had taken to jumping in at any chance she got. The Burrow looked lovely in autumn “ Ginny thought it was perhaps her favourite season.

Ginny heard a soft shriek further away and she looked up. Fred and George were tipping leaves over Lisle. She retaliated and got a handful of leaves squarely in George’s face. Hermione sat on the fence next to Ron and laughed at the twin’s rough play. Ginny grinned at Harry.

“Looks like Lisle’s having fun, doesn’t she?” Harry commented, his eyes growing soft as he watched his four-year-old daughter playing with her uncles.

“Yeah,” Ginny said, watching Harry’s face. “She adores it now. Especially with you here.”

Harry’s cheeks grew slightly red. “Which brings me to what I was about to say,” he said, “but I’d prefer to talk to you on your own “ mind if we take a walk?”

Ginny smiled, her heart speeding up. “Of course not,” she said, taking his outstretched hand.

Ginny felt the leaves and twigs crunch beneath her feet as she walked on with Harry. He didn’t say anything “ but he held her hand, not too tightly, but in a way that told Ginny he didn’t want to let it go. The wintry breeze blew and Ginny shivered, hugging the jumper she wore against her chest tightly. Suddenly, Harry stopped and let go of her hand. Puzzled, Ginny stopped as well.

“Harry, what’s going “ ” she began, but he raised a finger to her lips to silence her.

“I’m going to blindfold you now, okay?” he said, holding up a red scarf. “I want to show you something “ but it’s got to be a surprise. So, I need to know that you will trust me to guide you, and not take the blindfold off. Can you do that?”

Ginny felt puzzled. She hadn’t a clue what Harry was up to. “Harry, I don’t understand…”

“Ginny, do you trust me?”

Ginny looked up into his bold green eyes. He was watching her, patiently, but with a hunger in them, and Ginny knew what her answer was straight away.

“I trust you.”

Harry smiled widely. “Good,” he said. “Shut your eyes.”

Ginny obeyed, and felt the pressure of cloth wrap around her eyes and felt Harry tie it at the back of her head. She didn’t speak “ but she felt Harry’s hand in hers, guiding her steps. They carried on for a bit “ neither speaking “ until Harry stopped, and held out a hand to stop Ginny.

“Harry, where am I?” she asked, but she felt his finger cover her lips, silencing her.

“You’ll see,” he said, undoing the knot at the back of her head. Slowly, he took the blindfold off her eyes.

“Now look.”

Ginny opened her eyes and gasped. They were standing in what looked like autumn in heaven “ a clear blue waterfall splashed into a pond nearby. They were surrounded by willows that had been charmed to keep their leaves “ but they were orange not green. Mounds of fiery-coloured leaves lay under every tree trunk, and glowing lanterns hung from the branches, glowing in the twilight sky. A stone bench sat under the biggest willows, the tips of their branches just skimming the stone. Ginny felt breathless. She turned to Harry for an explanation, but he merely grinned back.

“Like it?” he murmured softly. “I hoped you would.”

Ginny’s throat had tightened. “Oh Harry…It’s gorgeous…”

He took her hand. Leading her over to the bench, he let her sit first, and sat next to her. Then he looked straight into her eyes.

“Ginny “ there’s so much I need to tell you about. First of all, I want to apologize. I’ve been away, fighting Voldemort. I wanted to keep you safe “ because I knew if I didn’t he would get you “ I couldn’t let that happen. When you told me about Lisle for the first time I couldn’t believe it. All the time I spent away I felt terrible. Each day I woke up feeling that I had let you down. I don’t ever want to hurt you Ginny “ I love you so much.”

Tears welled in Ginny’s eyes. Harry squeezed her hand.

“I kept feeling scared in those nine months you were pregnant and I was away. I felt like I wasn’t ready for it “ I thought I wouldn’t be able to handle being a father. But then, when I saw her for the first time in St. Mungos I completely forgot about my fears. I knew from the moment that I held her that I loved her as much as I loved you. I didn’t want to leave “ I wanted to stay and be a father, be with you, but I knew I hadn’t finished the war. I knew that was what Voldemort wanted “ and I didn’t want put you or Lisle’s life at risk.”

The tears fell down Ginny’s cheeks. Harry lifted his thumb and wiped them away. The willow trees swayed softly, whispering in the breeze.

“Now it’s over, Ginny. The war, Voldemort, his Horcruxes, they’re all gone. I’ve been spending time with you and Lisle over these past three months since I returned “ and I love you both so much. I want to be here for you all the time. I promise I will protect you both “ nobody will hurt you.”

Ginny wiped her cheeks, which were damp with tears. “Harry “ I love you too. I thought you’d never come back. I waited desperately “ I was so scared he’d kill you, but he never did. I’m so glad you’re safe and that you’re here now. That’s what I need.”

Harry held her in his arms as she spoke, stroking her hair. “I need more, Ginny. I want more.”

Ginny looked up. “What “ what do you mean?”

Harry slid onto the ground, on one knee. He took a small, black, velvet box from his pocket. Ginny’s eyes widened.

“Ginny, I love you. I’m proud of you, and I trust you. You are everything that completes me. You keep me together. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Gin.”

He opened the box and sitting on the red cushion inside was the most beautiful diamond ring Ginny had ever seen. Her eyes shone with tears.

“Will you marry me, Ginny?”

Ginny felt her heart bursting with happiness. She felt as though somebody had let off fireworks in her head, and she wanted to jump up and down with joy. She wiped a tear away.

“Yes,” she said, sobbing and laughing at the same time. Harry slipped the ring onto her finger and hugged her tightly, tears falling from his own eyes.

The trees whispered in the wind and the waterfall made soft splashing noises. No words were said between Harry and Ginny, both just shed tears of happiness as they held each other under the willow tree.



“Ginny! Oh thank goodness you’re alright!”

Molly whirled through the doors of the hospital room Ginny was in. She was holding Lisle’s hand, and Arthur followed, looking concerned.

Ginny smiled weakly from her the bed she was lying on. “Yeah “ Harry’s been good with the contractions so far “ but I think I just broke his fingers squeezing his hand.”

She looked up at Harry, who was nursing his hand. He smiled back at her.

“Well it can’t be as bad as labour, I reckon,” he said. Healer Smith bustled back in the room, holding a clipboard.

“Ah, Mrs. Potter,” she said, smiling at her. “I’ve just spoken with some of the other Healers. I will be delivering your baby.”

“Thank you,” Ginny said.

“Mummy,” Lisle said, hoisting herself onto the bed beside Ginny, “what’s happening?”

“It’s okay, Lisle,” Ginny said, stroking her daughter’s hair. “Your baby sister is on the way “ Amy.”

Lisle’s face broke into a grin. “Really?”

Ginny smiled. “You bet.”

“Dear “ are you alright?” Molly said, putting a hand on Ginny’s. “This means the baby is a little early, doesn’t it?”

“By three weeks, yes, but Healer Smith said Amy is perfectly healthy,” Ginny assured Molly, as Harry and Arthur began talking to Healer Smith. Molly smiled.

“Don’t look so nervous!” she said, encouragingly. “It’s so wonderful to think that our third granddaughter is on the way…”

Ginny smiled at her mother. “Yeah, I can’t believe it’s our second already. It seems like only yesterday Lisle was born.”

“I know…” Molly sighed, looking at Lisle, who had followed Harry and was holding his hand now. “She’s grown up so fast…it’s hard to believe she was once a baby too.”

“Ron and Hermione “ are they coming or do they not know?” Ginny asked. “It’s just Hermione said she didn’t want to miss this.”

“Oh yes dear, Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Bill, Fleur “ they’re all coming. Except for Percy, Penelope and Charlie and their families, who can’t make it,” Molly said earnestly. Ginny felt relieved.

“Oh good,” she said. “I’m glad they could “ ”

But her words were cut short as the door burst open once more. Ginny caught a glimpse of bushy brown hair amongst the redheads that hurled in.

“Oh Ginny! We heard all about everything “ are you okay? It’s early!”

Hermione pushed her way to Ginny’s bedside, bending over to examine her. Ginny laughed as Ron, Fred and George all crowded round as well.

“I’m alright!” she said as they looked at her up and down anxiously. “Yes, it’s unexpected because it’s early but “ ooh!”

Ginny screwed her eyes up in pain, putting her hands on her stomach. Another contraction started up, more painful than any of the previous ones. Healer Smith bustled over.

“Excuse me, this woman is in labour!” she said, counting the heads. “I would like only three people in here “ ”

She stopped and looked round at Ginny, who had let out an agonizing groan.

“I “ this “ hurts!” she gasped. Healer Smith chivvied everyone outside.

“Right “ everyone “ OUT! I would like just one member of family in here “ the baby is finally on its way!”

***


Five minutes later, everyone had gone out of the room. Ginny was feeling pain beyond pain. Harry was standing beside her, whispering words of comfort.

“Right, Mrs. Potter,” Healer Smith said, smiling calmly. “You’re at ten centimetres “ that means you are able to give birth. Now I don’t want you to start pushing until the contractions are five seconds apart, all right? Now just concentrate on relaxing don’t tense your muscles up.”

Ginny nodded, beads of sweat forming on her forehead. Another contraction started. She gritted her teeth and squeezed Harry’s hand.

“All right, when I say so, start pushing, don’t push too hard yet, and then when I say so, push as hard as you can,” Healer Smith said, calmly. Ginny braced herself, her heart beating fast.

“Okay, push!”

Ginny pushed hard, letting out a screech as she held Harry’s hand. Healer Smith nodded.

“Good “ now push again “ a little harder!”

Ginny pushed harder, sweating profusely now. Harry patted her on the shoulder.

“You’re doing great, Ginny,” he whispered.

“I think I see a head crowning,” Healer Smith said, smiling. Harry looked around.

“Yeah I see it “ a head, Ginny!” he said excitedly.

“Okay “ now after three, I want you to push with all your might,” Healer Smith commanded. “One…two…three!”

Ginny pushed as hard as she possibly could “ her eyes screwed up tight. She shrieked with pain “ she felt as though she was trying to move a heavy boulder up a flight of steep steps and she couldn’t do it. The next thing she could hear was Harry whooping in delight and the familiar sound of a very young infant crying. Her eyes flew open.

A tiny pink baby girl was crying in Healer Smith’s arms. She was waving her little arms around, her eyes closed tight and her mouth a little circle. Ginny felt speechless as she watched the nurse clean her with a simple cleaning spell and wrap her in a blanket.

Harry sat down on the bed with Ginny as the nurse handed Amy to Ginny. Ginny felt her breath catch in her throat as she looked down at her new daughter. She was tiny “ absolutely beautiful, even though she was crying. She had masses of lovely red hair, and when she opened her eyes, Ginny saw that they were emerald green, just like Harry’s. Ginny felt tears in her eyes as she smiled down at Amy. Soon the tears were running down her face as she handed Amy to Harry, who had tears in his eyes as well.

“She’s absolutely beautiful,” he said softly, as Ginny leaned against him, smiling, “and she looks just like you.”

Amy’s cries gradually grew softer as she opened up her big green eyes and stared at the surroundings. Ginny kissed her forehead.

“Hello there, Amy,” she whispered. “You’re so tiny “ yet I can hardly believe that you fit inside me for nine months. Lisle’s your big sister “ she’s longing to see you.”

Amy peered up at Ginny, her eyes wide. Harry put an arm around Ginny, and kissed her on the forehead. There was a knock on the door, which made Ginny and Harry look up. Healer Smith opened the door and Ginny saw her parents, Lisle, Hermione and Ron waiting outside.

“Excuse me “ are you all family?” Healer Smith asked, firmly, but Ginny cut across.

“No, let them in, it’s okay,” she said. Smith let them pass, rather reluctantly. Lisle came bounding forward “ glee written all over her face.

“Can I see her? Can I see her?” she begged excitedly. Ginny laughed and pulled her onto the bed while everyone crowded around.

Lisle’s brown eyes widened as she looked at her little sister. “Can I hold her, please, please?”

Harry grinned. “Sit still,” he commanded, as he carefully placed Amy in Lisle’s lap. Lisle looked ecstatic.

“I’m a big sister now,” she said proudly to Fred and George, who were standing next to her. Hermione had a hand over her mouth.

“She’s beautiful,” she whispered softly, as Ron put his arm over her shoulder. “Oh Ginny…Harry…”

Everyone had a turn holding her, and while they were all busy with her, Harry slipped his hand in Ginny’s. She looked up at him, an exhausted smile on her face.

“I’m really proud of you,” he said, planting a kiss on her cheek. “I can’t believe she’s here “ and so early! You must be shattered.”

Ginny sighed. “I know “ I’m absolutely exhausted “ but I’m so delighted too.”

Harry smiled warmly. “Me too.”

As Harry kissed her, Ginny felt as though she wanted to laugh, cry and smile all at the same time. She couldn’t even remember what the pain felt like now. There were more important things than pain “ or discomfort. She had what she’d always wanted her whole life “ her own family, with two lovely daughters and a husband she loved dearly.

And that,Ginny thought, is what’s most important after all.
Homecoming by rache
It was getting late. Past ten o’clock. They had been travelling for an hour so far, and Hermione and Ron were soundly asleep. Hermione’s head was tipping to one side, leaning on Ron’s shoulder. Harry smiled at the thought of their embarrassed expressions when they’d wake up.

“Would you care for a drink, sir?”

Harry looked up, blearily. An airhostess was standing over him, looking immaculate as they always did. He shook his head.

“No thanks. Not right now.”

She nodded and moved on down the aisle. Harry took his glasses off and polished them, then slipped them back on his nose, yawning. He felt drained. The last few days had been the worst of his life.

First, Ginny had told him she was carrying his child, which had scared Harry so much, but he couldn’t imagine how scared she was. Secondly, he had done nothing. He had simply walked away from the problem. They were going to Albania for eight or nine months, which meant Harry would miss out her entire pregnancy. He felt awful. He was still desperately in love with her, but he knew it would only be playing into Voldemort’s hands if they got back together now. Now that he’d had time to think about it, he realised that deep down he wanted to be a part of his unborn child’s life. He knew things were not ideal, but he was going to be a father. The hugeness of that was too big and important to ignore.

“Hey, this seat taken?”

Harry was forced out of his reverie. He blinked and looked up. A woman about his age was standing over him. She had long blonde hair that hung down to her elbows, and she was very tall. She was grinning, showing a set of sparkling white teeth. Her grin looked oddly cheeky and angelic at the same time. Harry sighed.

“No, please take it,” he said politely, gesturing to it. She flashed him a dazzling smile, and Harry was reminded of a girl in a shampoo advert he had once seen at the Dursleys’.

“I’m at the back really,” she said, sitting down. “I just get airsick “ runs in the family. My name’s Eve, by the way.”

She held out a hand. Harry shook it.

“Harry,” he said.

She smiled again. It seemed like she never stopped smiling. Harry rubbed his throbbing temples. Lack of sleep was taking its toll.

“Hey,” she said softly. Harry looked up and saw that up close, her eyes were brown, like Ginny’s. “You look tired.”

Harry smiled and let out a humourless chuckle. “Yeah, well “tired” is an understatement,” he replied.

Eve grinned. “So then, what’s your story? You have one, I can tell.”

Harry gave her a wan smile. “It’s long,” he said.

“We have time.”

“Well…” Harry began, uncomfortably. “I “ it’s complicated…there’s this girl “ woman.”

Eve nodded. “Is she your girlfriend?”

Harry shook his head. “Well…no. We broke up a while ago but over Christmas we sort of got back together. Only for a day though “ the next day we broke up again, both agreeing it was for the best. But then, she came to me with news. Potentially wonderful news, but I wasn’t expecting it…”

Eve nodded again. “She told you she was pregnant.”

Harry stared at her, dumbstruck. He nodded, flabbergasted.

“How did you - ?”

“Same thing happened to me,” she said, a haunted flicker rising in her eyes. “I was sixteen, too immature and naïve. It was terrifying.”

Harry didn’t know quite what to say. “But…your baby…what happened to it?”

“I had an abortion,” Eve replied calmly, but Harry could tell she was putting it on. “There seemed no other solution. The guy left me as soon as I told him, and I couldn’t tell my parents. I didn’t want to do it alone. I thought about it for several weeks, hoping he would come back to tell me he wanted our baby but he never did. So I decided there was no other choice,” she paused, trembling slightly. “I regret it. I shouldn’t have killed my child. I should have been a mother, even if it meant I would have no father for my child.”

Harry could feel his heart sink. What have I done? he thought, desperately.

“Harry,” Eve said, looking directly into his eyes. They were remarkably like Ginny’s. “Don’t let it happen. I barely know you, but I can tell you don’t want to lose something as precious as your own son or daughter. Whatever you have to do can wait. You have the strength “ you can go back as soon as you land and tell her you’ve decided to stay, or you can forget about it and carry on like nothing’s happened. It’s your call.”

Harry almost felt tears rising. “I “ can’t,” he gasped, his heart tearing.

As Eve looked at his eyes, Harry felt as though he had ripped open a closed wound. The look in her eyes “ disappointment and sadness mixed with pity. He couldn’t bear it. He looked away.

“Then she doesn’t deserve you,” Eve said softly and evenly. With that, she swept up and looked down at Harry again.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “Goodbye.”

As Harry watched her go, through teary eyes, he felt ashamed with himself. He hated everything about himself right now, but he knew he couldn’t stop now. He couldn’t do it. Her form slowly faded away, as if in slow motion, until she had gone completely, just like an angel.



“Lisle, can you help me in the kitchen for a minute?”

Harry, who had been dozing on the sofa, suddenly jumped up. He looked around blearily. People, nearly all of which were redheads, were milling around blowing up balloons by magic or putting plates of food on a side table in the dining room. Lisle had been trying to sneakily eat some of the icing on the enormous chocolate cake that read: Welcome Home Ginny and Amy! made by Molly. Hermione was calling from the kitchen for Lisle.

“Oh Harry, you’re awake, I was wondering if you could help me with this banner,” came Arthur’s voice from behind Harry. Harry turned to see Arthur struggling with a large banner, his glasses askew. Harry walked over.

“Here,” he said, flicking his wand at it, and it straightened immediately. With another flick it was on the wall, pinned tight.

“Why weren’t you using magic?” Harry asked, curiously. Arthur grinned a little sheepishly.

“Well I know Molly hates me not using magic, but it’s good practice for being around Muggles,” Arthur said. Harry grinned.

“Yeah,” he chuckled. “I think Molly wants you to “ ”

“Arthur! Help me with these scones, they’re burning!”

Arthur rolled his eyes. “Excuse me, Harry. I’m clearly needed in the kitchen. Could you do the rest of these decorations, please? Ginny’s going to be back in about ten minutes.”

He hurried off, leaving Harry to a pile of balloons and streamers. He jabbed his wand at one of the balloons and it filled with air. He repeated this, levitating them into the air after he had done so. When he had finished he stood back to admire his work.

“Shh, she’s coming! Everyone to their hiding places!”

Hermione rushed in, pushing everyone she could see down. She reached out an arm and forcefully drove Harry to the floor. Harry had to admit that he felt a little stupid ducking behind the sofa like a child playing hide-and-seek. It was a surprise party for Ginny, organised by Molly, Hermione and Fleur, and Hermione insisted they all hide.

In front of him, Hermione sat crouched, anticipation all over her face.

“Hermione “ ”

“Shh!”

“Hello, anyone home?”

Through the gap from behind the sofa (slightly distorted by the Hermione’s bushy hair), Harry could see Ginny walking through the front door, accompanied by Ron. He had gone to collect her from St. Mungo’s. Ginny was holding a CarryCot with Amy inside. She set the CarryCot down in the hall. She frowned at Ron.

“Where is everyone?”

“SURPRISE!”

Hermione had leapt up, along with everyone else, accidentally knocking Harry over. Harry slithered out from behind the sofa, straightening his glasses. Ginny’s face broke into a huge smile.

“You lot!” she said, as everyone beamed at her. “You gave me a fright!”

“Mum, you’re back!” Lisle ran forward to hug Ginny, who laughed.

“Ginny dear, welcome back,” Molly said, beaming. Fred and George worked their way towards Ginny.

“Good evening,” George said. “Nice to have you back all in one piece.”

“Ginny, how are you!”

“Ohh, look at Amy! Isn’t she sweet?”

Within a few minutes, a loud chatter had arisen among everyone as they passed round Amy, or nibbled at food. Lisle was soon picked up by Fred and George and spun around wildly, shrieking. Members of the Order were there too, including Remus and Tonks. Her bubble-gum pink hair stood out vividly from everyone else’s.

“Hey mate.”

Harry swiveled round. Ron was grinning at him, holding a plate of custard creams. He looked around appreciatively. “Pretty good…nice décor.”

Harry grinned. “Yeah. Are those canary creams?”

Ron shook his head, and popped one in his mouth. Harry took one.

“So,” he said, munching. “Married life treating you alright?” Harry suddenly realised he hadn’t seen Ron since the wedding, apart from a few days ago in hospital. Ron beamed, looking over at Hermione, who was laughing politely at a joke Lisle had just told.

“It’s going well,” he said. “Obviously it’s good and all…now and then she is a little bossy “ but that’s not unusual is it?”

Harry laughed, but it was short lived as he suddenly sprouted feathers and a beak. Ron roared with laughter, and Fred and George popped up out of nowhere, identical grins of glee on their faces.

“Canary Creams!” Fred roared over the laughter of everyone watching. “Now half price till September at Weasley’s Wizards Wheezes!”

A moment later, Harry had successfully transformed back into a human, glaring at Ron, who was nearly crying with laughter.

“You,” Harry growled, but he could not keep his face straight. He was soon laughing with everyone else. Ginny came up, smiling.

“Hey, I didn’t know those two still had those things,” she said affectionately, brushing a yellow feather out of his hair. Harry chuckled ruefully.

“Yeah, I hadn’t forgotten,” he said, amusedly. “How are you feeling, anyway?”

Ginny sighed. “Oh the norm. Having a baby isn’t exactly a bed of roses, pain-wise. It’ll clear up in a few weeks and I’ll be back to normal “ oh hi Tonks!”

Tonks had just strode forwards, her pink hair practically luminescent. She had electric blue eyes today, rather the same colour as Mad-Eye Moody’s and her normal wide grin was in place. Her nose was abnormally normal today, surprisingly.

“Hi Ginny “ Harry,” she nodded to them both, her teeth sparkling. “How are you? Sorry we haven’t been able to make it here for such a while, we’ve recently moved house again and none of the furniture is in the right place anymore! It makes my brain feel backward so I can barely think, let alone visit other peoples’ houses…”

Harry slipped away unnoticed. He went upstairs, in need of the toilet, as the downstairs one was engaged. He walked past the new room for Amy, and into their room, which was right beside it. A precaution Ginny had insisted upon incase Amy cried during the night and could not be heard. Her cot was currently in Harry and Ginny’s room, temporarily, until she stopped relying on being fed in the night so much.

Harry went into the ensuite bathroom. After he had finished, he ran his hands under the tap briefly and walked out. As he was about to leave the room, a flicker of light on the wall caught his attention. He turned, knowing what to expect.

The door to his bedside table was slightly ajar, and from it was where the light was coming from. Harry walked over to it and knelt down. He opened the door and gazed at the Pensieve.

Silvery thoughts swirled around the marble basin, shimmering in the dimness of the room. Harry had moved it a few days ago; deciding it was best to keep it in his room, completely out of Lisle’s reach. He didn’t like the thought of her falling into a thought she ought not to see…

He gazed down into the swirling silver mass. He leaned closer. He could see trees and grass. However, he could not see himself anywhere. Perplexed, he leant even further, but he still couldn’t see himself. Then it occurred to him.

This isn’t my memory.

His nose made contact with silver. Harry instantly felt himself being plunged forward, into the basin. Soaring through what felt like nothingness, he continued to fall until he collided with the floor.

Hazily, he looked up. He was sitting in a garden “ a back garden. Harry recognised it as the Burrow. He looked around and soon spotted a red head. It was Ginny.

Her eyes were as red as her hair. She was crying. Harry instinctively walked over to see what was wrong but then remembered he was in a memory. His present self was in a ghost-like state, floating and drifting.

Harry watched her cry for a few moments. She was silently sobbing into her hand, the other one clasped around her middle. She looked younger.

“Ginny?”

She did not turn, her hair blowing in the soft breeze. Harry knew already that she could not hear him.

“Excuse me, are you okay?”

This time it was not Harry who spoke. Ginny looked up. She looked confused. Harry looked up as well.

There was a woman standing there. She was tall, with elbow-length blonde hair. She was smiling, her straight white teeth sparkling, and she had a camera around her neck. Harry stared, astonished.

Eve?

She did not turn, but she continued to smile at Ginny who was looking very perplexed now.

“I’m sorry,” Ginny said, “but who are you? Do my parents know you’re here?”

Eve sighed. “I’m a photographer. I was driving up this hill to get some pictures of these plants and trees. There’s some great wildlife up here. Anyway, your house caught my attention a little.”

Ginny glanced at the tottering Weasley residence and looked as if she didn’t doubt it.

“Well, anyhow, I was about to continue driving but I saw you under this tree. You looked upset. And I couldn’t resist taking a look at those snowdrops*.”

Ginny still looked a little confused. “I see.”

Eve’s grin slowly vanished. “You seem upset. What happened?”

Ginny sighed. “It’s a “ long story. Besides, no offence, but I don’t really know you that well…” she trailed off. Eve sat down next to her. There was a long pause.

“I was flying to Albania,” Eve said, breaking the silence. Ginny turned around. “I was going out there to do some photography you know, and while I was on the flight I met a man. He was about the same age you are, maybe a little older. He told me he had a girlfriend “ well sort of. They had broken up over something and then a few weeks or more ago gotten back together, but only for one night. The next day they broke up again, he didn’t say why though.”

Ginny looked astounded.

“Then,” Eve continued, “the girl discovered she was pregnant. She must have felt scared and lonely, and yet she still told him, even though the next day he had to fly to Albania. He left the girl behind, but I think he wanted to stay.”

Tears were coming in Ginny’s eyes. “Did “ did he have black hair “ and glasses?”

Eve looked at Ginny for a long time, and then slowly nodded. Ginny trembled and tears began to fall down her cheeks.

“You met Harry,” she said after another pause. Eve nodded.

Ginny wiped her teary eyes. “I knew he left “ for a reason. But it seems like bad timing. I can’t do this alone “ my parents don’t know and the only ones who do know have left me. I can’t even begin to think of what’s going to happen “ it’s too scary…and what if “ what if Harry comes back but he doesn’t want to be a father?”

Eve cut her words off. “You can do it,” she looked at Ginny straight in the eye. “You have to do it. Because I know every mother wants their child. What if Harry wants the same thing, but is just too afraid to admit it in case he fails?”

Ginny wiped her face. “I’ll “ I’ll tell my parents. I have to do that first. Then “ I’ll decide what comes next.”

Harry watched the two for a long time. No one spoke, and Harry wondered who would break the silence next.

“Harry?”

It was not Eve or Ginny who spoke. Harry turned around and saw the present-day Ginny standing before him, floating and wispy, just like him. He jumped up.

“Let’s go back,” Ginny said. Harry nodded.

She grabbed his hand and they began sailing through nothingness. Soon, Harry felt his knees buckle as the floor reappeared underneath his feet. He fell over and realised he was back in their bedroom. Ginny was getting to her feet next to him. She sat on the bed with a sigh. There was another silence.

“I’m sorry,” Harry said eventually. “I was curious to know which memory it was when I realised it was not my own. I didn’t realise you’d put one in the Pensieve.”

Ginny shook her head. “I know. I don’t mind.”

“Who was she?” Harry asked quietly. Ginny sighed again.

“I dunno “ I went in to get her a glass of water and then when I came back out “ she was gone. It was as if she’d just vanished.”

Harry nodded. “The same thing happened to me. As she walked away, it was as though she almost - evaporated or something.”

“You think she may have been an angel?”

Harry paused. “Do you?”

Ginny shrugged. “She may have been, she may not have been. No matter what she was we’ll probably never find out.”

Harry sat down next to Ginny. “Oh.”

“But,” Ginny pressed on, “after she left like that, I told my parents, just like I said I would. And after that, I decided I would keep Lisle. Then you came back “ not immediately but I said I’d wait for you anyway.”

There was a very long pause. Both Harry and Ginny sat there, deep in thought. Then Harry put an arm around Ginny’s waist.

“I love you,” he whispered. “Welcome home, Ginny.”

Ginny smiled, and her whole face seemed to illuminate, even in the dark.

“I love you too,” she murmured, “and it’s nice to be back.”



A/N: I hope that ending wasn’t like, cheesy or anything. I’m sorry it’s been such a loong update, but when I say I have been majorly busy I really mean that. I’ve had so much work and my computer broke so this is about my third re-type. Anyways, please leave a review telling me what you think, I know this chapter wasn’t really the most interesting, but there’s more to come. ^_^ Hopefully the next update will be quicker “ I hope. Until then!

*Snowdrops are winter flowers, just as an extra note. You may already know that or you may not really care. Just thought I’d add it in case.

Oh and I am going to just say thank you to everyone who has faithfully reviewed this! Reviews help me SO much, the more the better! I have had so many kind reviews from you all I feel very lucky because I don't really deserve them!
Oh and since she very much wanted to be the first (or top three) reviews of ch.10 I thought I'd mention her, thank you ladyofthebookworms!!
Oh and thank you to you ALL! :D Big smily face!
An unexpected visitor by rache
The days passed so quickly again; Ginny barely registered now that it had been two whole months since Amy had been born. She had started off screaming her head off during obscure hours of the night, and either Harry or Ginny would get up to feed her. Ginny in particular was feeling very tired. The routine of it all came flooding back to her; she remembered Lisle would cry for what seemed like hours on end during the night.

Amy was good during the day, however. Whenever Amy slept “ usually only for several hours before waking up “ Ginny would use that precious time to do something, whether it be having a cuddle with Lisle and reading her a story, or spending quality time with Harry and quite often just sleeping. The idea was for her to be sleeping while Amy was asleep. Ginny found the first month awful “ she was sleep-deprived and never seemed to have any time to do anything. The second month was better “ and now Ginny found herself a few weeks into the third month already and yet it seemed like yesterday that Amy was inside her waiting to be born!

Lisle’s seventh birthday came on the first of September “ and they had a small family celebration at home. She was given lots of lovely gifts “ which Ginny was grateful for because they distracted Lisle slightly from the fact that Amy was getting lots of attention instead of her now. Still, there had been some jealousy moments and both Ginny and Harry found them rather difficult to cope with. Nevertheless, Lisle had become slightly better and deep down Ginny knew she was thrilled to bits with her new little sister.

It was now late October “ summer had faded away bringing a cool autumn. Leaves were slowly turning from green to orange and they were falling into piles under the trees in the garden. Lisle liked playing in them, and soon they were no longer in nice little piles but scattered around what was once a neat lawn. Amy seemed to be enjoying autumn too. Whenever Ginny would take her out for a walk in the pram she would open her eyes wide and take everything in “ sometimes it even looked like she was smiling but Ginny wasn’t sure if it was genuine or not.

One nice afternoon, Ginny decided it would be nice for a walk in the local park. It wasn’t really a Muggle village in Godric’s Hollow, but there were Muggles dotted here and there so there were normal shops that were visible to the general public further down, but some of the older shops that were more isolated Ginny knew were actually wizard shops. There was an abandoned, wrecked petrol station (or so Harry had called it) which was actually a shortcut to Diagon Alley. The local park wasn’t very far from where the Potters lived, and Ginny knew Lisle liked feeding the ducks in the pond and going on the swings. So, making sure Lisle had done her coat up (for it was cold outside) and Amy had a wooly hat on and enough blankets in her pram Ginny set off, checking the house was locked with a strong charm that couldn’t be broken easily.

Predictably, Lisle began skipping happily through orange leaves, showering them everywhere. Ginny grinned, and wrapped her scarf tighter around her neck as the wind blew harder. Amy made a little contented sound “ a little gurgle. If Ginny hadn’t known any better she’d have sworn it was a giggle. She gave her a smile.

“What’s that Amy?” she cooed. “Do you like autumn? I do too. It was autumn when your daddy asked me to marry him, you know.”

Amy waved a small fist in the air and made the gurgling sound again. Her vivid red curls were just visible underneath her woolly blue hat. Ginny pushed the pram slightly faster, to keep up with Lisle. The trees whistled in the wind and leaves danced through the air, swirling into little whirlpools.

They soon reached the park. Lisle began skipping with her skipping rope (a small, Muggle present from Hermione last birthday). It wasn’t quite the same as her toy broomstick, but since there were Muggles around they had to be careful. Lisle made a beeline for the pond, and giggled, pointing at the ducks. One of them had flipped vertically, to clean its feathers and its feet and tail were sticking in the air.

“That duck is the wrong way up, Mum!” Lisle cried with glee. Ginny smiled as the duck resurfaced.

“So it is,” Ginny replied, watching the ducks swim around. “Would you like to feed them some bread, sweetheart?”

Lisle looked interested and stopped skipping. She held her hands out while Ginny rummaged in her bag. She found the bag of bread crusts and tossed it to Lisle. She opened it and threw a crust into the pond. The ducks began quacking madly and they formed a large swarm around the piece of bread. Lisle let out a small giggle and tossed another piece in.

Smiling, Ginny sat down on a nearby bench and watched as the ducks fought over the bread. The park was beautiful, especially in autumn. It was one of those parks that had managed to stay pretty and hadn’t been vandalized. The trees whispered in the breeze and a small gust of wind sent a few more leaves whirling past. Suddenly, Amy let out a whimper.

Ginny leant over the pram and looked at her. She had begun to whine and was waving her fists in the air again. Ginny touched one of her hands and realised why she was crying. They were ice-cold.

“Oh sweetie,” Ginny said, finding her tiny mittens in the basket below the pram. “I didn’t realise you were getting cold.”

She put the mittens on Amy. She stopped crying for a few moments but then started up again. Her mouth was making familiar sucking movements and her hands were reaching out. Ginny knew she was hungry.

Scooping her up, Ginny sat down on the bench and put a blanket over her shoulder, to hide Amy’s head from view. Amy stopped whining as she began to feed.

That’s better, thought Ginny. Technically, Amy was being bottle-fed as well, during the night, but the Healers said breast-feeding was the best method “ after all Lisle had breast-fed until she was eighteen months and had turned out healthy and lively. Right on the cue, Lisle scampered up to Ginny, holding an empty bag.

“Finished,” she said. Ginny took the bag and folded it into her bag.

“Can I go on the swings now Mummy?” Lisle pleaded.

“In a minute.”

After Amy decided she’d had enough, Ginny carefully patted her back and held her chest. Amy gave a small hiccup and dribbled down her chin. Ginny wiped her mouth and placed her back in the pram carefully. Lisle was hopping on one foot impatiently. Ginny chuckled.

“Okay, Lisa we’ll go to the swings now,” she smiled at her eldest daughter. Lisle scampered on ahead, scattering more leaves delightfully.

Ginny pushed the pram forwards heading towards the swings. There were a few children swinging on them already, their mothers or fathers standing nearby. Lisle took an empty swing and hoisted herself up onto it. She began swinging her legs to move herself off the ground.

Ginny parked the pram beside the swings and watched Lisle. Her long black hair streamed out behind her as she swung upwards. Ginny remarked at how much she really looked like Harry. Even at seven, Ginny could see her potential beauty blossoming. Her puppy-dog eyes, the long black hair, the smile that seemed to bring light into the whole room.

As Lisle continued to swing, Ginny peered into the pram at Amy. She was sucking her thumb and her eyelids were drooping slightly. She smiled, and checked her watch. It was quarter past five.

The wind began to blow harshly. Ginny shivered and pulled her coat tighter to her body. She let Lisle swing for another ten minutes, and by the time she had got off, Amy was fast asleep. Ginny pressed a finger to her lips. Lisle copied her.

“Time to go back now, love,” she whispered. Lisle reached out to hold Ginny’s hand. They began to walk out of the park.

***

The wind was harsh. Branches of trees were bending violently, some even snapping. Orange and yellow leaves raced past, billowing in little clouds. The sky was still light, but it was gradually getting darker.

A hooded man was battling his way through the wind. He hugged his long black cloak to his body, the biting wind nipping at his face and hands. His boots splashed through mud puddles as he ran. His breath was jagged, puffing into short blasts of air, visible in the cold. He looked round, desperately.

Where was the house? Everything was vaguely familiar…yet he couldn’t be sure of which one.

He ran on, and as he did, he felt a small wet fleck on his cheek. He stared up at the grey clouds, and he heard thunder rumble above. He cursed inwardly. The last thing he needed now was to be lost and wet.

The droplets of rain began falling, mere specks at first, but then turned into heavy droplets, flowing thickly and steadily. Soon enough, the man was soaked right down to his shoes.

Shaking his wet hair out of his eyes, he squinted through the rain. The street before him went up, on a hill. He smiled inwardly and tore forwards.

This was it.

***

“Lisle, come in, you’ll get soaked!”

Lisle, who was standing on the porch her arms open wide, letting the rain soak her, grumbled but came in anyway and let Ginny peel her wet coat off her, and perform a drying spell on her clothes.

“I like the rain!” she whined as she had her jumper and shoes taken off as well. “I was doing a game where you have to guess where the next raindrop is going to fall. I guessed it would go on my nose but it landed on my cheek instead.”

Ginny looked sternly at her daughter. “You’ll catch a cold!” she said, wagging her finger in mock strictness. Lisle giggled.

“Do I hear something about colds? Speaking of which, what horrible weather!”

Lisle’s eyes lit up. “Daddy!!”

She ran over to Harry, who suddenly Apparated into the hallway. He picked Lisle up and gave her a bear hug.

“You’re home early,” Ginny said, kissing him on the cheek. Harry grinned.

“I managed to get off half an hour early than normal today,” he said. Ginny hung her scarf on the coat pegs, grinning. A few years ago, after a lot of training, Harry had achieved his life ambition of becoming an Auror. He worked for the Ministry, and being an Auror was certainly a hard career; it also meant he would be away on and off. Some weeks he was at home all day, other weeks he was called in at various different times. Nevertheless, Ginny certainly felt safer with a fully trained Auror in the house, so it paid off.

Amy made a soft ‘goo’ sound in her sleep. Harry turned to the pram. He bent down and kissed her forehead.

“She finally went to sleep then?” Harry asked Ginny, who nodded.

“She loved the park. I think she likes the trees. Lisle, go and wash your hands they’re filthy. Harry, can you set the table while I make supper? It’s about time, I think.”

Ginny wheeled the pram softly into the front room and left the door open. Amy was still fast asleep. She walked into the kitchen and pulled her wand out.

“Accio sprouts!”

Immediately, a bag of sprouts came whizzing into her hand from the larder. She began to boil them, and some potatoes.



The hooded man felt almost winded from running so fast, for so long. He stopped, panting, to catch his breath. What was the matter with him? Wasn’t he usually very fit?

He glanced up at the house before him. It was this one all right. He could remember it.

Carefully and slowly, he walked up the path. He ducked behind a rose bush and peered in the window. Inside, he could see some armchairs and a sofa. There was a pram sitting beside the open door. Through the open door, he saw someone walk past the hallway. He caught a glimpse of long, red hair.

Ducking down again, he hid in the rose bush and waited. He couldn’t go in just yet. If somebody had by any chance seen him running, they might be able to track him down.

So he began to wait, raindrops pouring down his face.



“Come down now Lisle, dinner’s ready!”

Ginny hurried back into the kitchen, where Harry was washing his hands in the sink.

“She’s coming,” Ginny said, sitting down. She pointed her wand at the jug of water, which poured itself into the three glasses. There came a thumping noise of someone running down the stairs. Soon, Lisle appeared in the doorway, holding her hands out for Ginny to see. Ginny inspected them.

“They seem clean enough to me,” she said, as Harry sat down. “Okay, dig in then everyone.”

Lisle began piling mashed potatoes on her plate in a hungry fashion, which reminded Ginny strongly of Ron. Adding some peas to her own plate, Ginny began to tuck in as well.



The man’s breath was fast and shallow. It had been at least ten minutes.

He put his head out of the rose bush, checking both ways completely. The coast was clear.

Emerging from the rose bush, he scrambled up the porch. The doorknocker before him stood out boldly. Reaching out, he gave it three hard raps, his heart thudding.

***

Ginny was about to put a piece of chicken in her mouth when she heard the door knock. She sighed and put her napkin down.

“I’ll get it,” she told Harry, who had been about to get up. She made her way to the door, just as it rapped again.

“I’m coming!” she said, fiddling with the chain. She opened it.

Standing before her, was a cloaked man, with his hood up. He was soaking from the rain. Ginny’s eyes widened.

“Y “ you!” she gasped, her hand covering her mouth.

The man lowered his hood for the first time since he had began running. His white blond hair seemed to stand out, even in the rain. His eyes were unmistakably grey-silver.

“D “ Draco?” Ginny stammered.



A/N: Dun dun dun! Another little cliffhanger just to amuse you (or me actually). But it’s not quite as bad as the others, is it? Lol.
Anyway, I will make sure I update quickly next time, so as not to keep you hanging. There may not be any flashbacks in the next chapter but hey, if there are…;)

I say it all the time but… please review, I like your feedback :D
Tea by rache
“Who is it Ginny?”

Ginny stood, dazed, barely registering Harry’s voice. Draco stood there, his silver eyes boring into hers. He was soaked from head to toe.

Silence.

Ginny could hear Harry behind her. He appeared at the doorway, and looked very shocked when he caught sight of Draco.

“You!” he gasped. Draco nodded. Ginny shook herself out of her reverie and went into hospitality-mode.

“Come in,” she said, opening the door for him. “You look freezing.”

Ginny shut the door. Draco pulled his wand out and performed a Drying Spell. His clothes immediately were dried.

“Thank you,” he said. “I’m sorry to disturb you like this “ it’s rather urgent.”

Ginny frowned. “Come to the sitting room.”

Harry led the way and opened the door for Draco, his face impassive. Draco’s expression was similar as he sat down “ yet Ginny could see a flicker of fear in his eyes that she could not place.

“Would you like anything to eat or drink?” Ginny asked, out of routine, which her mother had taught her. Draco shook his head.

“Harry, you had better go and see to Lisle,” Ginny said. Harry looked for a moment as if he would rather do no such thing at all, but merely shrugged and did so, leaving the door ajar.

There was a silence while Ginny tried to think of where to start. She had a million questions she was dying to ask, yet somehow she couldn’t get the words out.

“Your baby, I presume?”

Ginny looked up. Draco was indicating the pram. Ginny nodded.

“Yes,” she replied, with a smile. “She was born in August.”

It was Draco’s turn to smile. “Not your first, I realise.”

Ginny blushed. “How “ did you “ know about Lisle?”

Draco smirked. “At the time, I think all of Hogwarts knew you were pregnant. I wasn’t there, but Slytherins in the year below me were. We stayed in contact for a while “ but ever since I…well…they don’t speak to me anymore.”

He stood up and began pacing the room. Ginny watched him for a while, bursting to ask him why he was acting so normal while he had an urgent message for her. Finally, she couldn’t handle the silence any longer.

“Draco, why are you here?” she burst out suddenly. He stopped pacing and looked at her. Her heart thudded with anticipation.

Draco sat quietly down on the sofa. “A few months ago,” he began, with a sigh, “I helped you out of a dangerous situation. They didn’t catch me…until last month. Listen carefully to me “ you and your family are in grave danger.”

Ginny’s insides went cold. Danger?

“They know I tried to help you,” he continued, “now they’re looking for a chance to capture you again “ as bait for Harry. Fortunately I got away again, but I had already overheard their plans.”

Ginny felt stunned. “But “ but why?” she asked. “The war’s over, nobody should be in any danger any more…should they?”

Draco shook his head impatiently. “You don’t understand! They want revenge! Just because the Dark Lord is dead it doesn’t mean his followers are. There are still plenty of them out there “ lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce…fulfill their master’s life ambition…”

There was a momentary silence. Ginny didn’t know quite what to say.

“But,” she suddenly said, breaking the silence, “why do they need to fulfill his needs if he’s gone? Surely the only reason they followed him in the first place was that they were scared of what he would do to them if they didn’t?”

Draco nodded. “They are a bunch of cowards, I’ll agree with you there, but the main thing they’re after is power. They saw what their master could do “ and they realise that it can be done with a lot of effort. They know the famous Harry Potter is a threat, so obviously they want to eliminate him, which is where you come in.”

Ginny felt bewildered. “Me?”

Draco rolled his eyes. “Of course! They know you’re close “ extremely close “ so they’re using you as a ploy to get to him. They’re going for a more subtle approach than just capturing him straight out. For one thing, they know you’re an easier target. Everyone would know if Harry Potter was captured “ and they know he could fight back if they used the Imperius Curse. They know now that your husband doesn’t tend to sit at home while his true love is missing, possibly being tortured…they know he can’t stand the thought of him putting other peoples’ lives at risk.”

Ginny thought it over. It certainly was logical “ if a little far-fetched. The fact that they were carrying on after their master Voldemort was gone seemed to be pointless to Ginny “ but then again “ she did not understand much of the Dark Arts. However, the one thing she did know was that a lot of extremely advanced, complex and exceptionally powerful spells were conceived through methods of Dark Magic.

“So what are we supposed to do?” Ginny asked, standing up then sitting down again. “Do you know what they’re planning?”

“I “ don’t know entirely,” Draco replied. “You need to be prepared “ all of you. They could attack at anytime. Don’t trust anyone who you see around here “ that’s what they’re looking for, a chance to get you while you’re most vulnerable “ while Harry’s not around.”

For a moment, Ginny thought she saw a flicker behind Draco’s grey eyes. A sudden flash of fear “ confusion. It was as though he didn’t understand what he was saying. He looked almost as though he was about to say something “ pleadingly “ but as soon as Ginny saw it, it was gone. However, Ginny felt as though she was a bird whose feathers had been ruffled the wrong way. She couldn’t quite place her finger on it, but she felt different. She shivered suddenly as she looked at his eyes. They were so…silver. Like metal. She stood up.

“Excuse me,” she said. “I’m going to the kitchen to see Harry. Are you sure you wouldn’t like tea?”

Draco smiled. “Actually…milky tea with sugar would be nice.”

Ginny nodded, and went to the kitchen, shutting the door. She leaned against it when it was shut, and heaved out a sigh. She couldn’t get rid of those eyes in he mind. They seemed to burn through hers “ making Ginny feel as though she was being X-rayed, like a Muggle.

Pulling herself together, she waved her wand at the whistling kettle on the stove. Hot water poured itself into a mug. She looked around for Harry.

“Harry?”

“I’m upstairs, putting Lisle to bed!”

Ginny sighed and poured some milk and sugar in the mug. Then, taking a deep breath, she hurried down the corridor with it. Tentatively, she opened the door to the living room.

“Here’s your “ ”

But she couldn’t finish the sentence. A jet of light hit her in the face and she fell to the floor, immobilized. Hot tea soaked her blouse, yet she couldn’t open her mouth to scream in agony. Draco stood over her, wand in hand. He wasn’t smirking or smiling. On the contrary, his face was completely blank, no vindictive pleasure showing at all. Ginny desperately tried to move but couldn’t. To her horror, she saw Draco was holding a crying bundle in his arms. Amy.

Ginny wanted to shout for Harry, and reach out to grab Amy, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn’t. Her eyes were the only thing she could move. Draco pointed his wand at the window, which opened. Ginny felt as though she might vomit with fear. She pleaded desperately in her head.

“I’m not really in the mood for tea,” Draco said, looking at Ginny’s soaked blouse. Amy was screaming, her face red. Her head was lolling backwards, because Draco wasn’t supporting it. Ginny felt tears coming to her eyes. She wanted to rush to her helpless daughter more than anything, at that moment, but she couldn’t budge a muscle.

She watched, with dread and fear as he went out of the window, down the path until Amy’s red curls were completely out of sight.

Ginny would have been shaking, if she could.


A/N: I know you all hate me “ two cliffies in a row, you must be thinking! Again I am exceedingly sorry to have to give out so many cliffies “ but they’re so tempting! I’m also sorry that this is so short, but I had to make it short. The next one will be longer than this, I hope. Thanks, and please review!

Oh and on a happier note, I finally have a banner for this story!! I thought it would be good to have one since it's quite long already, and I'm really pleased with the result! All the credit goes to sayiansirius who made it for me (thank you!!) The actor used for Harry was Tobey Maguire (Spiderman), and the other two I dont know. To view it see my profile. Thank you!!
The Death Eaters by rache
Ginny was wild with fear. Her heart skipped like a rabbit’s. She could not think. She couldn’t seem to breathe. Shock and fear was tingling in her every nerve. Again she trying calling “ or moving “ something. Nothing would work.

She lay there, her heart beating rapidly beneath the soaking brown stain covering her white shirt. Cold sweat ran down her forehead and into her red hair. Why is he doing this? she thought to herself. She couldn’t understand “ he had showed her the Mark. It was gone.

She could have kicked herself. He was lying to you, you idiot she thought furiously He’s still the same arrogant, slick, cruel, Death Eater bastard. Why did you believe him?

Ginny did not know how long it had been “ two minutes, half an hour, a day “ possibly a decade she had been lying on the floor but her heart leapt when she heard her name.

“Ginny? Lisle’s asleep.”

He wasn’t shouting “ in case Lisle awoke. Ginny tried to speak but her lips were motionless.

“Ginny?”

She could hear him coming down the stairs. The living room, she pleaded in her head Not the kitchen…

She heard the kitchen door open. Her thoughts were screaming “ they were wasting time.

She could hear his footsteps in the hallway…he was so close…

The living room…Please!

The door creaked open and Ginny suddenly saw Harry’s white, upside-down, shocked face staring wide-eyed at her. His eyes roved down to her shirt stain and back again. He whipped out his wand and instantly said the counter-curse.

Ginny leapt up, adrenaline coursing through her veins. She collapsed against Harry, sobbing uncontrollably. She couldn’t help herself.

“G-Ginny?” Harry stammered, his voice shaking fearfully. She looked up into his sea green eyes her vision blurred. “What happened? Where is he?”

Ginny could barely get the words out. “H-Harry! He “ He left! He immobilised me and then “ and then…”

She looked straight up into his eyes again and she could see the panic and shock mirrored in his.

“He took…Amy.”

The last of the colour in Harry’s face drained. Ginny could feel a tear slide down her trembling cheek. No. Now was not the time for tears. She had to think “ quickly.

“Listen Ginny, we have to go after him,” Harry said firmly, his voice shaking slightly. “Which way did he go?”

Ginny shook her head vigorously. “Harry “ it doesn’t matter if he went two feet away! He’ll have Apparated for sure, and we don’t have a clue where he’s headed to!”

“We have to contact the Order,” Harry said, in the same firm voice “ but Ginny could tell he was sick with fear, “and quickly. They need to know “ ”

“What will the Order be able to do about it?” Ginny cried, her hands flailing up in despair. “This is all so terribly wrong “ if only I hadn’t gone in the kitchen for tea! Why did I believe his stupid sob story lie? Of course he’s still a Death Eater, he’s Malfoy! I “ ”

“Ginny, I know it’s an emergency situation, and I know how serious it is!” Harry cut across her somewhat impatiently, “But we have to think fast! The more time we waste discussing Malfoy is not helping our daughter to get back any sooner!”

Ginny ran a hand over her sweaty brow. “I know. You’re right. I’ll Floo the Order immediately. One of them has to stay here to watch Lisle. The rest of us…”

Her eyes locked back to Harry’s and he nodded; his face solemn. They understood each other perfectly.

***


Draco felt a dizzying sense of imbalance as he felt his feet hit the floor again. The baby had not enjoyed Apparition “ she was screaming, her cheeks red. She waved her arms against Draco’s chest and was making sucking movements with her mouth. Draco suddenly was scared. Even he could tell what that meant.

“Aah, back right on time. I was beginning to wonder where you’d got to.”

The oily voice of Severus Snape came from the shadows of the dark and dusty room they were in. His pallid face loomed before Draco, a smirk written upon his pasty lips. Draco suddenly felt a small wave of angry defiance “ but it lasted a nanosecond. He peered down at Amy’s face.

“This baby needs feeding,” he said flatly, his voice expressionless. Snape chuckled.

“Failed to bring Mummy along with her? But you do have a point. I don’t think any of us will tolerate much longer with the racket it’s making.”

Draco did not look at Snape. “It’s a ‘she’.”

Snape smirked again. “Well, well, well then. I suggest you feed her then.”

Draco supported her head with his hand. She was so very warm and soft. Her tiny back arched and then dropped. Her cries stopped for a second but then came back, her mouth sucking frantically. Draco remembered a spell his cousin had done with her infant “ a spell for witches who didn’t want to feed their children the natural way. He whipped his wand out and a bottle with a teat materialized in front of him. He said the incantation and the bottle filled.

Carefully, he brought the teat to her moving mouth. She ‘latched on’ for a second or two and then stopped sucking the teat. After a few more moments of this she eventually got the hang of it and was soon sucking continuously. Snape let out a cruel laugh.

“Becoming quite the fatherly image, aren’t you?” he chided, snidely. “I wonder how long that incantation took to learn.”

Draco felt a tiny flame of anger rise in his chest, gnawing momentarily at his heart full of blank emotions. Then he heard the deadly soft voice of Snape speak inside his head, echoing sinisterly.

Don’t fight against it. You won’t get anywhere. Do as I say.

Draco tried to fight with the voice, but it was too strong. He relaxed into a dreamlike, blissful state again, rid of all emotions. Snape’s oily voice filled his head again.

Exactly. Keep your mind closed so they can’t find us. Occlumency “ Draco, you are a skilled Occlumens.

Then he heard snide laughter echo through his brain, mockingly.

***


Half an hour later, the Potter household was full of people. Members of the Order were around “ some had gone out on search parties, some had gone to inform the Ministry’s Aurors, and there were some simply in the house, with Ginny. Hermione, Tonks and Ron had joined Ginny in the living room “ in spite of her protests of wanting to join the search parties with Harry and the others.

“Ginny, can I get you some coffee?” Hermione asked tentatively. Ginny said nothing, but continued to stare ahead at the drapes, covering the very window she had seen her daughter disappear through. Hermione sighed.

“Ginny look, they will find her “ ”

“Yes,” Ginny said suddenly, “and when they do, I won’t be there to help.”

Tonks squeezed Ginny’s shoulder. “You can’t go out “ remember last time? It certainly seems as though you or Amy are bait “ it would only be playing into their hands “ ”

“Last time, I was in my third trimester and I was crawling through air vents,” Ginny pointed out bluntly, “I no longer have a giant bump on my stomach, in case you hadn’t noticed.”

“It doesn’t matter if you’re pregnant or not, Gin,” Ron said, speaking for the first time in ten minutes. “They’re Death Eaters “ they are powerful. They want you, we don’t know why, but it’s safer here. Going after Amy now is what they’re hoping you’ll do.”

Ginny sat in silence, angry at everything. She knew he was right but she was terrified of what was happening to Amy. She could barely fathom what kind of things Malfoy and all of the Death Eaters were capable of.

“Come on Ginny,” Hermione smiled weakly. “They’ll find her. When they do, she’ll be as right as rain.”

Ginny didn’t look convinced, but Hermione looked at her in the eyes. “Trust me,” she said. “I’ll go and get some coffee.”

***


“Hold it!”

Harry spun round. They hadn’t Apparated, but they were searching the street for clues that could lead to where Malfoy had Apparated. They were standing beside a bush and Charlie Weasley was holding something small up. Harry’s eyes widened as he took it in his hands. Numbly, he gasped.

It was her sock. Amy’s tiny sock. It was muddy and snagged from the thorns in the bush.

“It “ must have dropped off,” Lupin said in a hushed voice. Harry turned around.

“She’s probably close,” he said firmly. “Keep looking!”

***


Draco looked back down at the baby. She was fast asleep, fortunately. However, there wasn’t a crib anywhere.

“Where shall I put the baby?” Draco intoned, almost bored. Snape looked up, his eyebrows raised.

“Wherever you bloody want to,” he said carelessly. Draco stared directly into his cold, black eyes. He could feel his mind struggling suddenly. The Curse was too strong “ yet he could feel himself almost overcoming it.

“Draco,” Snape spat, his voice cold. “Don’t fight it. Imperio.”

Draco felt another wave of bliss, but it only lasted for a few seconds this time. Instead, he felt a sudden surge of shock. Why was he here?

He put the baby down on an old, moth-eaten sofa. It was the best he could do. Snape’s back was turned. He was muttering in low whispers to the other Death Eaters. Draco caught snippets of their conversation.

“Tonight…Potter…Yes, yes of course…completely unsuspecting…the Mark…”

Draco’s skin went cold. The Mark. Of course.

Draco knew he had fought off the Curse. His mind no longer felt free “ he remembered her face…the look of terror…her hair like fire…

It happened in a flash. The memory of himself taking the infant was over faster than he could comprehend it, but he almost staggered over with the impact of it hitting him.

Looking white-faced at Snape’s back, he realised. He wasn’t supposed to be here. He had been set up. He had to do something.

Fingers trembling, he reached into his robes for his wand. Anger began to claw at his insides. Revenge. Pointing his wand at Snape’s back he opened his mouth.

“Stupef “ ”

“PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!”

Draco’s wand fell from his fingertips as he crashed, immobilised, to the floor. Snape leered triumphantly, pocketing his wand as though to gloat. Draco glared up at him.

“Funny,” Snape hissed, bending down so that his face was close to Draco’s, “I took you for a simple weakling. I must say, I’m impressed you managed to fight off the Curse single-handedly. I didn’t know you had the strength.”

His looked smugly at Draco, then violently slammed his fist against the younger wizard. Excruciating pain shot all the way to Draco’s brain. Blood trickled from his nose, pouring onto his robes.

“But of course I had a back-up,” Snape hissed menacingly, his face getting closer, “Do you think I’m stupid? I sensed you were fighting against the Curse, so I decided to let you. Instead I decided since you were stupid enough to fool with a Death Eater, you shouldn’t be worthy of the Imperius Curse. You would only make things worse for yourself. So, you’ll have to stay behind while we have all the fun. Look after the baby, do some knitting, bake some pies.”

He laughed cruelly and straightened up. The rest of the Death Eaters were laughing, mockingly. They had started to emerge from the shadows and Draco was horrified to see so many. There were at least fifty that he could see, but they kept coming. After what he assumed was all of them, they were still. Draco knew there had to be a hundred, or possibly a few more. Had he been able to speak, he would have cried out, in spite of himself, “What isthis place?”

Snape smiled a horrible smile. “Why Draco! This place is like our home! You see, there are more of us than what meets the eye.”

Then he turned to the others. “Everybody, it is good to be reunited once again. Finally, after many years, we have become strong enough to carry out what has been the Dark Lord’s wish for over two decades. The last and final battle is not over yet. There is plenty left that Harry Potter hasn’t predicted. And now, with him hunting for his beloved child in the wrong place, we shall meet him. Him and his faithful Aurors. None of whom were strong enough to override the Dark Lord’s faithful and noble followers.

“So, let’s go, while the meat is still…fresh.”

With one last vindictive look at the helpless Draco, Snape and the Death Eaters all Disapparated, cracks filling the air.

After that, it was very silent.

***


Ginny was curled up in an armchair, willing herself not to sleep. It was growing late. Half past eleven. Murmurs and people moving buzzed around her, some entering and some vacating the room. None of them were visible to Ginny. She was only thinking about one thing.

Amy was gone. Barely two months old and in the hands of a Death Eater. What kind of parent was she? How could this happen?

Just when she had begun to feel safe. Nobody was safe “ even now. She realised that now.

Ten minutes passed. Ginny wanted to wail out in despair “ rage “ anything to fill the horrible hollow, empty feeling she had in her gut. Anything to get rid of the guilt and fear. She could feel her eyelids drooping. She knew what she needed was rest, but she knew she couldn’t. She wouldn’t allow it.

***


Harry was running. He was running through a dark field. Charlie, Lupin and the three other Aurors were running behind him, calling him back, but he had seen something.

He could see it again. He was getting closer to it “ a bundle. Now metres away, he could see that it was a bundle of white cloths lying in the grass. He was almost there.

WHAM.

A curse hit him, forcing his ankle upwards so that he fell face down onto the hard ground. Feeling winded, he looked up. His ankle jerked again, and he was forced upside-down, writhing helplessly in mid-air. Lupin and Charlie were shouting, but two more curses hit them. Harry could hardly see, but he could make out a few blurry black shapes. The bundle was still there.

“WATCH THE OTHER TWO!”

Harry could see two of the Aurors running back, surely to alert the others. Spells flew in all directions, but all of them missed. His heart was thumping madly as all the blood rushed to his head.

“BELLATRIX “ DESMOND “ ONE OF YOU DO IT!”

Harry could make out a blurry black shape reach for his or her wand and point it directly at the sky.

“MORSMORDRE!”

Green erupted around Harry’s eyes, almost blinding him. He blinked rapidly, waving his arms to cover his face. He looked up at the sky.

An enormous, glittering, emerald skull was leering down at him, the wrong way up. Harry recognised it instantly.

The Dark Mark.

***


“HELP!”

Ginny wrenched her eyes open, realising she had fallen asleep. She leapt up from her chair. People were rushing about, yelling. An Auror with a bloody nose stood at the doorway. Everyone was crowded around. Ginny instantly made her way to the front, elbowing people.

“What happened?” she cried, beside herself with worry. The Auror wiped his nose and held something up. As Ginny took it, she recognised it instantly as Amy’s sock. Her heart skipped a beat.

“We found it a little way down from here, near that vast field. It “ was in a bush.”

“What else?” Ginny cried, but heard a scream from the garden.

“LOOK! LOOK “ AT THE SKY!”

Everyone rushed for the door. Ginny heard gasps and more screams as she squeezed past Hermione and Ron. She went into the dark garden. Green was glowing from above.

As she looked up, her eyes widened. She let out a gasp of terror as she stared up at the inky-black sky.

A huge skull loomed above them, contrasting vividly against the usual black, starry sky. A serpent tongue was with it. People screamed. Ginny could feel sickened with fear.

It was back.


A/N: Thanks for reading! I'll try to get chapter 14 up as quick as possible...please review if you haven't already, if you have, you know how much i like reviews so please feel free!!!

Oh and by the way, the summary of this story has been changed, because I thought the new one is more relevant to this story.
The Moon and the Mark by rache
Hanging five feet upside down, Harry clutched onto his glasses, squinting from the light. He could hear shouting and screaming all around. He could see Remus lying unconscious on the grass. To his left, Charlie was hanging in the air, a streak of blood across his forehead. He was groaning and looked as though he might pass out.





One of the hooded figures advanced on Harry and pointed a wand at him, and said the counter-curse. Harry knew the spell “ it had been in the Half-Blood Prince’s Potions Book.





He fell to the ground with a sickening thud. Next to him, Charlie fell too, and was knocked out. Harry’s head was spinning in pain. Surely the others had seen the Mark, why were they not coming?





“Bind him,” hissed the figure. Harry recognised the voice but couldn’t place it. Immediately two Death Eaters came forth, pointing their wands at Harry. Instantly, thick ropes began winding around Harry’s body. He flailed against it, but the ropes were too tight. He tried to reach for his wand in the pocket of his robes, but his hand was twisted behind his back, painfully. He looked to his side.





Remus was lying very still. Harry couldn’t tell if he was breathing or not. He turned to Charlie, who was being tied up as well. His red head lolled to one side, a trickle of blood oozing from his lip.





“Stop,” whispered the Death Eater in front of Harry. Immediately the others lowered their wands. The silence became deadly.





“All of you, come out of the shadows,” the Death Eater in front of Harry whispered. Suddenly, the air filled with rustles. Many footsteps could be heard, and Harry could see hooded Death Eaters emerging all around, closing in on them. Harry’s eyes widened.





“We’re not going to play any games here Potter,” the Death Eater (whom Harry suspected was the leader) said. “You’ve been alive too long. You should have been killed when you were twelve months old. And yet you have been protected, mollycoddled and kept alive for twenty-six years. Nobody is that lucky. Not even the infamous, courageous, noble Harry Potter.”





The Death Eater raised his wand. The hooded figures around him were silent, but Harry could tell they were wild with anticipation.





“So, I will not waste my time talking to you,” the Death Eater said quietly, his voice deadly. “You deserve to be killed. Merlin knows how long we’ve been waiting. This time, no matter what happens, you cannot escape. We are all here, and we will all get to watch as you take your last breath.”





Harry could feel his skin curl. He felt sick.





“I will do one thing for you though,” the Death Eater said, lowering his wand a little. “It would seem a shame for you to go to your grave not knowing who your killer was. It would give me something too. At least I would know that in the last minutes of your life, you could do nothing to save yourself against the one wizard you hated since you were eleven years old.”





Harry felt goosebumps creep up his arms. “No,” he whispered.





The Death Eater laughed, and all the others followed, laughter echoing around the trees. Slowly, the Death Eater lowered his hood, until his pasty, bloodless face was exposed. Harry’s eyes widened in shock. The Half-Blood Prince.





“Goodbye, Harry Potter.”





As Snape raised his wand, it took an age. The laughter around Harry died out. The rustling of trees and the whistling of the wind was muted. Harry could hear nothing, except for his steady hearbeat. Snape’s mouth formed the words but Harry couldn’t hear the spell. A glow of green light formed on the tip of Snape’s wand. Harry could see it coming towards him, but slowly. His mind had gone into slow motion. He took a breath that he could hear ringing through his ears. The light was getting closer. He knew he was going to die. There was nothing that could be done. All his life he had been wanted dead, and now it was about to happen. He was about to relax his muscles, preparing himself for the blow, when he swore he saw her face. For an instant, concealed in a bush, he caught sight of Ginny, white-faced and terror-struck. She was crying, wearing a look Harry had never seen on her face before. It was a crumpled look, a look of someone who had broken down entirely. Her lips parted and Harry could read the word she said. A word Harry knew had every ounce of her soul in.





“Please.”





In what seemed like less than a second, Harry did something impossible. Without even reaching his wand, the ropes that were binding him fell loose. At the exact moment that the curse reached him, he rolled to the side, grabbing his wand from his pocket. He felt winded, as though he had just sprinted a mile. He didn’t understand how he had done that so quickly, but he looked back to the bush. Ginny’s face had lit up, and he could see her smiling through her tears.





The sound seemed to slowly come back. There were angry protests and people were charging towards him. But there weren’t just Death Eaters. Aurors and Order members, Ron, Fred, George and all the Weasleys had burst from the bushes and trees. Soon spells and curses were flying everywhere and within minutes everyone was fighting against someone. However, Harry had not been forgotten.





“Potter!”





Harry wasn’t stupid enough to turn. He ducked and shot a hex at Snape, who cast a shield charm. Harry blocked it, and the stinging hex reverberated onto Snape who wasn’t quick enough. He cried out in pain, but turned back to Harry, livid.





“So, Potter,” Snape said, his voice shaking with anger, as they circled, wands raised. “How did you do it this time? Or was it love that saved you?”





Harry smirked. “That’s funny,” he said in mock amusement, “and no. Lest you forget, Snape, I am wizard, not a schoolboy anymore. Magic without wands is a specialty of mine. Are you not familiar with the time I set a python on my cousin at the zoo?”





He had gone too far. A jet of light streaked from Snape’s wand and hit Harry in the chest. Harry fell to the ground writhing in pain. He shrieked as white-hot pain stabbed at every inch of skin like knives, until finally it died away. He lay panting for a few seconds while Snape stood over him, smirking.





“You always were as arrogant as your conceited, Quidditch-star of a father,” he hissed with loathing. “Would you like another dose of pain? Crucio!”





Harry rolled to the side this time, too quick. He pointed his wand at Snape, and the pair began circling again.





“Where is she?” Harry hissed menacingly. Snape chuckled.





“Do I look like the kind of person to bring a baby to a battlefield?” he said. “She’s in good hands, do you remember Draco Malfoy?”





As he laughed Harry shot a curse at him, but Snape ducked, laughing loudly.





“Harry Potter, you are a fool,” he said. Harry glared, and kept his wand aloft. “Do you think your pathetic Auror training can beat me, Severus Snape, second to the Dark Lord?”





Harry narrowed his eyes. “Ironic, isn’t it?” he spat at Snape, “The greatest wizard of all time, or supposedly the greatest, ends up dead after poor, pathetic little Harry beats him. Now are you sure you can beat me?”





“AVADA “ ”





Harry blocked it. “SECTUMSEM “ !”





“How DARE you use my invention?” Snape screamed, blocking the curse. “You, the filthy blood traitor you are!”





Harry ducked a jet of red light, which was soaring towards him. For a second he caught a glance at the battlefield. Bodies were lying everywhere, unconscious, alive and dead. There were at least fifty Aurors, and twenty Order members, including the Weasleys. They were still outnumbered. He could see Tonks fighting Bellatrix “ Remus was lying at their feet unconscious. Further away, he could see Ron against Lucius Malfoy “ Kingsley and Amycus. He couldn’t find Ginny.





“Expelliarmus!”





Harry was caught off-guard. His wand soared past his fingertips and into Snape’s free hand. Snape grinned triumphantly.





“Aha! Potter, you idiot! Now you’ve nothing to defend yourself with!”





Snape raised his own wand and pointed it at Harry.





“AVADA KEDAVRA!”





Harry closed his eyes, bracing himself for the blow. But it never came.





A burst of green light came from behind Snape, hitting him directly in the back. He let out a gasp and fell forwards, as though in slow motion again. Harry watched as he hit the ground with a shuddering thud, his body motionless. Harry blinked, and looked up.





A silhouette of a tall man stood ten feet away. The moon was behind him, so Harry couldn’t see any of his features to make out who it was. He began striding forward, slowly and steadily until Harry could see him.





Eyes like silver orbs, hair that shone white in the moonlight and the physique of another Seeker, Harry knew straightaway. Draco Malfoy stopped a few feet away, his wand still raised. He lowered it, and kicked Snape aside. Reaching under his robes, he produced a bundle. A bundle with red curls and green eyes. Harry’s eyes widened.





“Potter,” Draco said, “I’ve come to give you something back.”





***






Ginny stumbled past fighting Death Eaters and Aurors, oblivious. She scanned the field again, searching desperately for Harry. She had seen him, when she was in the bushes with everyone else. She knew he had survived.





Glancing up at the star-strewn sky, she caught sight of the hideous skull again. She looked away, and saw Venus, twinkling. It reminded her of something Harry had said to her, a week after their engagement. They had been in the garden, after dinner when it had just started to get dark and the stars were coming out.





“Harry,” Ginny giggled, as Harry kissed her neck. She turned around and brought her face level to his. They were sitting under a tree in the backyard of the Burrow. Ginny was sitting in front of Harry, and his arms were around her waist. This was their home for now “ until they found the right house. When they had found a house, they could settle a wedding date.





Almost as if he had read Ginny’s mind, Harry grinned. “We’ll settle a date one day,” he assured her, “and when we do, we’ll have somewhere to live, I promise. I’m so grateful to your parents for letting us stay here until then, but we need a house of our own. We need somewhere we’ll be happy. Somewhere we can raise our children.”





Ginny smiled. “Children? I thought we had one child!”





Harry grinned. “I know. But Lisle will want siblings.”





Ginny chuckled and leaned her head back against Harry’s shoulder. “I feel so happy,” she sighed, fiddling with the new sparkling diamond on her finger. “I know it sounds like a load of crap, saying it under the stars, sighing with contentment and everything, but I am. I can’t believe I’m finally marrying you!”





Harry kissed her lightly on the lips. “I want to show you something,” he said. “Look up at the sky.”





Ginny obeyed, and saw a whole sky full of bright, twinkling dots. The full moon shone brightly, bathing them in moonlight.





“Do you see it?” Harry whispered in her ear. Ginny looked puzzled.





“See what?”





Harry pointed up. “That. Look. It’s a shooting star.”





Ginny followed his finger and saw a bright dot soaring through the sky, above their heads. Ginny gasped.





“Wow!” she whispered. “That’s amazing! They’re really rare!”





Harry smiled down at her. “That’s like us. We’re star-crossed lovers. There’s a play, by a Muggle named William Shakespeare. He wrote a famous love story called Romeo and Juliet, and in the play there’s a famous line ‘star-cross’d lovers’. Like us, they were young. But it didn’t stop them.”





Ginny smiled. “How did the play end?”





“Well, Romeo ended up feeding himself poison because he thought Juliet was dead, but it turned out she wasn’t, and when she woke up, he was dead, so she killed herself.”





Ginny looked shocked, and Harry chuckled. “Shakespeare didn’t always write happy plays,” he commented. “But he must have known a lot about love.”





Ginny grinned, and kissed Harry. She looked back at the shooting star, which was slowly descending into the distance.






Ginny blinked, and the green skull, the screams and the jets of light came back to her as she delved into her memories. Fear and adrenaline slowly began seeping back into her, which is what moved her legs forward.





“Harry?” she called, ducking under a curse. Then she saw him, standing twenty feet away. She almost cried out with joy, but she noticed he wasn’t alone. Snape was lying on the ground…dead. Another man was standing in front of him. He was holding something in his arms. Something that was wrapped in a blanket.





It dawned on Ginny. She felt a violent surge of anger as she ran forward, pulling her wand out.





“YOU! YOU LYING, DISGUSTING, THIEVING “ ”





Draco stepped out of her way, white-faced in the moonlight. Ginny glared at him, hysterical. She felt Harry’s arm on her shoulder, protectively. He was staring at Draco with a look of loathing, but he wasn’t doing anything. Ginny wanted to pull her wand out and curse Draco to oblivion but she couldn’t, in case she hit Amy. Harry restrained her, and Ginny looked at him, confused.





“Ginny, don’t,” he advised. “He might be a Death Eater, but it’s only what he wants. We’ll deal with him once we’ve got Amy.”





Ginny nodded hazily, and took a moment to look around the battlefield. Death Eaters were running around crazily, some yelling, some Disapparating. The battle seemed almost forgotten. Ginny knew it was because they had noticed their ringleader was dead, and they knew that members of the Ministry had been informed by the Order and were on their way with the Dementors. People were lying everywhere, injured and unconscious. Ginny hoped with all her might that her friends and family weren’t hurt.





Draco had stepped forward, holding Amy out. Gently, Ginny took her, and kissed her sleeping daughter’s forehead. The baby girl breathed out softly “ despite the shouting and shrieks around her she remained peaceful. Ginny felt a rush of relief “ her baby was safe, Lisle was safe “ guarded by the Safe Home Spell and Molly, Harry wasn’t dead. But she knew she couldn’t stay relieved for long. Matters were still awful.





“Now,” Ginny said, through gritted teeth, passing Amy to Harry. “Malfoy, you deserve what’s coming…”





“Wait,” Draco began, side-stepping Ginny. “You deserve to know the truth. I know you are past believing my word for things, and you have that right. What I did was horrible, I will always regret it, but you must know the truth before anything else happens.”





Ginny stopped, and looked up at his face, glaring. “So?”





“So,” Draco continued, reaching into his robes. “I brought this along,” he pulled out a tiny glass phial from his pocket, and held it up so they could see it. It was full of clear liquid. “I took it from Snape while he was busy. I knew I’d need it. It’s Veritaserum, as you know.”





Ginny took the little bottle and passed it to Harry. Harry examined it for a moment and then pulled out his wand. He waved it on the phial, muttering under his breath. Ginny did not argue. Clearly it was some sort of test he’d learnt at Auror training.





He passed it back to Ginny. “It’s certainly Veritaserum. I’ve done several tests, all of which are confidential to all Aurors.”





Ginny nodded, and passed it back to Draco, seething at him. “You’d better have a plan,” she hissed, angrily.





Draco closed his eyes and opened the phial. Without saying a word, he poured a drop into his mouth, and squeezed it shut again. His eyes glazed, and he pocketed the phial.





He smiled bitterly. “Just do it.”








A/N: Now, for me, that was like, the fastest update ever, wasn’t it? Lol. Thanks for reviewing the last one, a lot happened in that chapter, including the death of Snape. I thought perhaps it was slightly anti-climatic at first, Snape just dying like that, but then I thought, there’s way more to come! We still don’t know what happened to all the others on the battlefield. So, I will include more details of others next chapter, and there will probably be Ministry people, dementors and St. Mungos. That’s all I’m revealing. Thanks for reading, and please, please, please continue reviewing! I’m trying to get to 700 reviews now! Possibly even 1000 if this goes on for that long! Lol, thanks!

By the way, some of you reviewed saying it was Romeo who drank poison not Juliet, so I've taken your word for it and changed it! Thanks!


The Funeral by rache
Ginny spoke first. She blinked up at him, in wonder.





“Why did you do it?”





She sounded pleading, not angry. Perhaps she had realised herself that the potion was really Veritaserum. Right now, she was tired and just wanted answers. She didn’t even know who to believe anymore.





“I was captured by them,” Draco began, “the Death Eaters. About a week ago. They tried to force me to join them, but I wouldn’t. So they used the Cruciatus Curse on me. They used everything they could, until finally, they had no choice but to Imperiuse me. See, they were the ones who wanted to kidnap your baby, not me. They told me to get the baby, steal it, and bring it back to them. They had no use for it - it was only so that Harry would go after her with the Aurors so that they could corner them. But I overcame it. I tried to escape to warn you all, but Snape put the Body-Bind spell on me.”





Ginny felt suspicious. She knew he was telling the truth, Harry had made sure of that. But how could she just accept what he’d said, just like that?”





“Please,” Draco pleaded with them. “I know you don’t want to believe me, but you must. I never wanted to hurt your baby, or you. That’s why I came back here and…killed Severus Snape.”





He lowered his eyes to the back of Snape, lying face down in the ground, motionless. It seemed to only just sink in for Draco. Ginny looked directly at him. He looked…ashamed. He glanced away, knowing he had murdered.





Whether it was just in the heat of the moment, or whether it was just the fact that they were standing in the middle of a battlefield, Ginny didn’t know. But she suddenly felt very faint, and swayed to one side. Harry caught her arm.





“Ginny - what - ?”





Ginny couldn’t hear him. Her mind went black, and she fainted into Harry’s open arms. She didn’t remember any more.





***






“Mum! You’re awake finally!”





Ginny opened her bleary eyes. She was lying with her head against a soft, cream pillow. An equally soft duvet covered her. She sat up slowly and brought her eyes into focus. Lisle was sitting at the foot of the bed, bouncing excitedly as usual. Ginny rubbed her eyes. She was back in her and Harry’s room…but what about Malfoy and the Death Eaters? What had happened to the Aurors, and Hermione, Ron and the rest of them?





“Mum, are you listening Mum?”





Ginny turned to Lisle who had come to snuggle next to her. Ginny smiled and pulled her under the covers, so that Lisle was on her lap. She stroked her fine, dark hair softly. She was momentarily just glad to be back at home with her daughter.





“I am listening, my love,” she said in a quiet voice, “what were you saying?”





“I wanted to know where you were,” she said, “you and Daddy left last night, and I woke up and couldn’t sleep. Granny made me some hot chocolate, and I still couldn’t sleep, so do you know what I did?”





Lisle’s voice was eager, anticipation written all over her face. Ginny’s eyes widened. “What?” she asked, cautiously.





“I counted sheep,” Lisle said, matter-of-factly, “and then I came to sleep in your bed, and then I looked in Amy’s cot, and she was gone too! But then I fell asleep!”





Ginny laughed aloud. Lisle always told the most pointless stories, but in a strange way, they always interested her.





“Where were you then?” Lisle interjected, curiously. Ginny stroked her fringe out of her forehead. It was finally growing out, but it meant that she would no longer have to cut it.





Ginny looked down at Lisle’s eager face, and wondered, as she always did, whether the child was still too young to know about such things. After all, she was only seven.





“We went away for a bit,” Ginny said, cautiously. Lisle said nothing, as if expecting more, but was soon distracted as cries came from the cradle in the corner. Ginny jumped up and walked over, thankful for the diversion.





Amy was lying amongst the blankets, looking sleepy. She was beating her fists against the mattress. Ginny bent down and scooped her up. As she did, the door opened, and Harry came through, carrying a breakfast tray. He was wearing his pyjamas and dressing gown, and his hair was messier than normal.





“Morning,” he said, as Ginny began to feed Amy, curling up under the duvet again. He walked over and sat the tray down on the bed. There were three plates and glasses. Ginny noticed that Harry had used the best china. The tray was carrying a feast. Mounds of scrambled eggs on buttered white toast, a toast rack stuffed with toast, jams and butter, a large jug of fresh orange juice, an enormous plate of bacon, fried tomatoes, a plate of chocolate-chip waffles, a large bowl of assorted fruit, a pot of tea with milk and sugar on the side and finally, to top it all, the biggest stack of pancakes Ginny had ever seen, golden syrup oozing down all sides. Ginny’s mouth began to water.





“It looks delicious!” she gasped, handing out plates. “Come on all of you, under the covers!”





Lisle snuggled in between Harry and Ginny, and the three began to tuck into the food. Ginny took a piece of toast and buttered it. She picked grape-flavoured jam and ate it with hearty approval. She drank from her tall glass of fresh orange, closing her eyes. This was the only way to eat breakfast, surely.





After most of the food had been consumed, including the fruit (Ginny insisted Lisle eat some vitamins) Ginny snuggled down against the pillows, drinking hot tea. Harry was holding Amy, who was no longer crying, but awake. She was glancing around the room, and Ginny could swear that the infant was smiling. Lisle had started jittering and jumping about. The large breakfast had made her very excitable. The tray began to tip perilously, dark tea coming dangerously close to the cream white sheets.





“Careful, Lis,” Ginny said, holding the tray steady. “Anyway, why don’t you go downstairs, to the basement? You can watch TV.”





TV, as Ginny knew, was a Muggle thing, introduced to her by Harry and Hermione. Both had grown up watching a silver box, and Ginny didn’t know why, until Harry had purchased one, one day in a Muggle shop. He had also bought two long, slim silver boxes insisting one was a “video-player” and a “DVD player”. Ginny hadn’t a clue about it, until Harry had shown her. It was really rather simple now, and Ginny had to admit, for Muggles it wasn’t a bad idea. She actually liked it so much, that their collection of DVDs was extensive now.





Lisle hopped down from the bed and raced out of the room, singing a Celestina Warbeck song loudly. Ginny chuckled at the surprisingly good impression of the witch singer. Ginny had the Wireless Wizarding Network on the radio all the time, just to prove their were still a wizarding family.





“Now,” said Ginny, as Harry passed Amy back to her, “we’re rid of Lisle, you can tell me what happened.”





Ginny realised it had been nearly a whole hour since she had woken up. The alarm clock read nine-thirty.





“You passed out,” Harry said. “We didn’t know why, but some of the Aurors said it was probably because you were extremely tired, having had a baby recently and being in that field at that time of night anyway.”





Ginny nodded, and Harry continued.





“You were taken back here, by some Aurors. I stayed on for a bit, talking to Malfoy. He seems to be telling the truth, and there’s no way that Snape’s Veritaserum can’t work. It’s the strongest stuff you can get, really.”





“And it’s definitely Veritaserum, you say?”





Harry sighed. “Yes Gin. We’ve been through this…”





“I’m sorry. It’s just…you know.”





Harry gazed at her. “I know, I know. I’m sorry too. But he’s actually not lying this time. Obviously they’ve kept him back - he’s an ex-Death Eater, and any sort gets sent to Azkaban. Also, no matter what, he murdered Snape, using an Unforgivable as well.”





Ginny’s mind was racing. So really, Malfoy had saved Amy. He had saved them all, by killing Snape. But he was going to be sent to Azkaban.





As though he had read Ginny’s mind, Harry began to speak, “There is a chance…he might get someone to vouch for him. But Ginny, I know it’s difficult, but please don’t think about Malfoy right now. It is a tiring subject and you need rest.”





Ginny smiled wearily. “I know. To be perfectly honest, I want to put this whole kidnapping, this whole battle behind us.”





She looked into Amy’s clear green eyes, and knew it wasn’t quite possible yet. They were one big happy family again, as always, but there had been tension added. Too much had happened, and Ginny hated living on the edge like this, not knowing what was going to happen, or when. But for now, she just wanted to know everyone else was safe.





“They’re, miraculously all fine,” Harry said, as though reading her mind again, and Ginny realised he probably had. Legilimency was one of the skills he had perfected during Auror training, but Occlumency was still quite a challenge for him. “Hermione’s okay, she luckily escaped with a bad hex gone wrong; it could have done far more damage than it did. Ron and Charlie were taken to St. Mungos, but I believe they will be out in a few days, according to the Healers I spoke with last night. I visited St. Mungos while you were resting,” he added, when he saw her confused face. “Tonks is a bit hysterical. Remus…he didn’t make it Ginny.”





Ginny did not gasp, but a sudden void of blank filled her mind, and then the emotion came. Remus Lupin was…dead?She wouldn’t accept it, and yet her mind told her she had to. Suddenly, tears began to form in her eyes. Then, they spilled onto her cheeks and soaked the linen. Harry pulled her close.





“Was he…the only one?” Ginny asked, dreading the answer. Harry shook his head slowly.





“One of the Aurors in my department was killed,” he said softly, “a man named Peter Blake. He was in his late twenties, and he was an excellent Auror.”





Ginny couldn’t imagine what Tonks was going through. The pain and shock was the worst of it. She didn’t quite understand how Remus could be dead.





For a few minutes, Ginny sat, crying silently against Harry. She had known Remus better than Harry thought. It had been him, along with everyone else who had helped her so much in her first pregnancy. He had brought her ice-chips while she was in labour. He had helped her down the stairs whenever he came round in the third trimester of her pregnancy with Lisle. Then when Lisle was a tiny baby, he would come round and rock her to sleep while he and Ginny talked all night about careers, life and whatever she could think of. He had always given her wonderful advice about everything, and yet at the end of the day, he swept away, back to his own home, silently and swiftly as a phantom. But Ginny was grateful to him in many ways. He had died saving them all. Ginny played those words in her mind, knowing it sounded like something a grave, official person might say at a funeral, but this time she knew it was true.





“When is the…funeral?” Ginny forced herself to ask. Harry glanced down at her.





“A week from today,” he said. “November 14.”





Silence.





“Ginny, please don’t be too upset,” Harry said. “I know it’s the last thing he’d have wanted.”





Ginny smiled, weakly. “I know. On one hand, I’m so…shocked that he’s gone. But then I consider myself also to be very lucky. Lots more escaped death last night.”





“The funeral will be held at the Burrow,” Harry added. “We figured, since it’s the place everyone hung out at, once or twice at least. We’ll go down on the day before.”





Ginny nodded. She wanted to be with her family right now. As she looked down into Amy’s round, baby face she felt a tug of sadness, but yet she knew Remus wouldn’t have wanted them all to grieve.





***






The week had passed so quickly. Ginny found herself battling with mixed emotions. Some days she found everything too hard to take, and would cry privately in the bathroom or curled under the sheets. So much had happened, and even the Healers had said it was perfectly normal to be hormonal even after two months of giving birth. Ginny felt upset about Remus’s sudden death, but felt at peace with it.





November 14th arrived, the weather dismal. Ginny had woken up in her bed at the Burrow, finding Harry had gone out to Diagon Alley with her father, to pick up the flowers for the funeral. She had washed and gone downstairs to help her mother prepare the food for later. Lots of people were coming, and again, Molly was the one catering.





Ginny now stood over the sink, watching over some potatoes as they peeled themselves. Molly was decorating a very large cake with small sugared yellow and white roses made of icing. In two hours guests would be arriving, and everything had been set out outside; chairs and all. Lisle was watching her grandmother make the cake, while Amy slept in a makeshift playpen, tucked away in the corner of the kitchen. Ginny glanced at Lisle briefly. Her face was blank, almost confused at the dreariness of it all. The young girl didn’t understand funerals, or deaths. Ginny almost envied her ignorance. To be young and innocent, not to worry about people leaving forever, it had to be bliss. Yet in a way, Ginny wished Lisle could know the truth. She almost felt as though she was lying to her daughter, not being able to tell her about the battle or about Remus’s death.





But Ginny knew, somewhere in the back of her mind, that Lisle wouldn’t yet be able to cope with such matters. It would be too much for her mind. After all, seven years old was quite young. Ginny knew it was for the little girl’s own good.





“It’s finished,” Molly said quietly. Ginny looked round. The cake looked magnificent; delicious. It was a soft, buttery vanilla sponge underneath, with a layer of cream and jam. White icing covered it, along with the roses. Yet it almost depressed Ginny. It was so clearly a cake made for a sad occasion that it suddenly looked quite unappetizing.





“Why don’t you go upstairs and change, dear,” Molly said, her voice soft. “I’ll finish the potatoes and see to Lisle getting dressed.”





Ginny nodded, tearing her eyes away from the sugared roses. “Okay,” she said, her voice blank. “Thanks, Mum.”





***






White lilies. Dozens of them. A sea of people sitting, all wearing black. Dispiriting music played from a band at the front, as a line of people walked up the Weasley’s back garden, now an aisle. A long black coffin was hovering a few feet above the ground, moving with them.





Ginny watched as the coffin set itself down at the front. She was sitting on the second row, with all her family. Harry on one side, Ron on her other, then Hermione, George, Bill, Charlie, Percy, her mother, her father and finally Lisle sitting on Fred’s knee, sucking her thumb quietly. A man walked up to the front and began to speak.





“We are here today to celebrate the life of Remus Lupin…He will be remembered for his courage…generosity…selflessness…”





The words drifted over the trees, and Ginny found herself tuning out. She stared at the coffin, the impact of it’s presence startling her. It was really there. Remus Lupin really was gone.





Hermione was watery-eyed, holding a white handkerchief next to her cheek. Ron was looking glumly at his knees, as though the words were drifting over him as well. Ginny turned to glance at Harry. He was not crying, nor smiling. His eyebrows were contorted, as though someone had asked him a difficult question. Ginny knew he was sad, sadder than he let on. Remus had been something of a role model for Harry as he was growing up, and Ginny knew it. He had been like a second godfather after Sirius had died. Now, the last remaining link Harry had to his parents was gone.





Ginny felt tears creep up, but she did not let them fall. Instead she focused hard on the lilies. They were beautiful - but sorrowful at the same time. Ginny felt a tear break, and slide down her cheek.





“…And now, we shall have Nymphadora Tonks, Remus’s beloved wife and friend, speaking.”





Ginny looked up. Tonks stood up and strode towards the front, standing at the podium which the man had vacated. She glanced around, taking everyone in with her blue-green eyes. Her hair was long and black today; perhaps she decided pink didn’t go with black.





“I don’t have much more to add to the beautiful things that have just been said,” Tonks began. Her voice was quiet, and yet at the same time, it captivated everyone’s attention, “but I would like to say that I am so grateful to see so many of you here. Remus would have been happy to know he had fans.”





A few people smiled, but clearly the atmosphere was too miserable for any happiness or amusement. Tonks pressed on.





“Remus always seemed older than me in nearly every way,” she said. “Not just the fact that he was, but he always seemed more mature, more practical. He wouldn’t let me love him at first. He said I was too young, and that he was too dangerous, being a werewolf. He thought he knew what was best. But when you fall in love, it is almost impossible to let that person go completely. I couldn’t bring myself to the conclusion that we couldn’t be, just because of practicality and him being mature. When he let me in, I knew I was loved. It’s a feeling I’ve had ever since, and I knew I loved him. Nothing could stop us, so it didn’t. He died with someone loving him. And yes, he is not with us today. But as I said, once you fall in love, it is almost impossible to let that person go completely, and for that reason, Remus is not completely gone for me. I still have my love for him. And I will always have that love.”





She paused momentarily, looking up at the clouds. A few drops of rain had started to drizzle. Then she whispered in a soft voice.





“I will never, ever forget you, Remus Lupin.”





And with that, she squeezed her eyes shut. A few seconds later, her hair turned bright, luminous pink, short and spiky. Then she opened her eyes and smiled.





“I have one last thing for him,” she said, as the raindrops began to fall lightly. The clouds turned grey, but Tonks began to sing.





Long black limousine,


Shiniest car I’ve ever seen,


Back seat is nice and clean,


She rides as quiet as a dream






The band had started up, a soft melody on a guitar. The piano was faint in the background.





Someone dug a hole six long feet in the ground,


I said goodbye to you, and I threw my roses down,


Ain’t nothing left at all in the end of being proud,


With me riding in this car, and you flying through them clouds






The tune was light, acoustic. The lilies had droplets of water covering them, and the rain mingled with any tears being shed.





I’ve had some time to think about it,


And watch the sun sink like a stone,


I’ve had some time to think about you,


On the long ride home






Ginny looked round at Harry. His face was unreadable, and a tear was now sliding down his cheek. Ginny slipped her hand into his.





One day I took your tiny hand,


Put your finger in the wedding band,


Your daddy gave a piece of land,


We laid ourselves the best of plans,





Forty years go by with someone laying in your bed,


Forty years of things you say you wish you’d never said,


How hard would it have been to say some kinder words instead,


I wonder as I stare up at the sky turning red






It was raining rather steadily now. People were getting wet, but the band continued to play, and Tonks stood still, singing.





I’ve had some time to think about it,


And watch the sun sink like a stone,


I’ve had some time to think about you,


On the long ride home,





At last searching down the driveway,


The house is dark as it can be,


I go inside and all is silent,


It seems as empty as the inside of me






Some people were shuffling in their seats, covering themselves with hats, shawls or programmes. The rain was beginning to soak Ginny. Tonks was standing upright, drenched.





I’ve had some time to think about it,


And watch the sun sink like a stone,


I’ve had some time to think about you,


On the long, on the long,


On the long, on the long


Ride home






As the final chord had been strummed on the guitar, Tonks walked back to seat, placing a single red rose on the coffin as she did.





***






An hour and a half later, Ginny sat inside, watching the rain against the windowpane. She was sitting in an armchair in the living room, filled with people. The room was filled with the pattering of raindrops against glass and the low chatter of guests, eating cake.





“Hey.”





Ginny glanced up. Hermione was standing there, her eyes slightly red. She sat opposite Ginny, and held out a plate of cake. Ginny took it with a grateful smile.





“Some week, eh?” Hermione said softly. Ginny let out a chuckle.





“I know,” she said, taking a bite of cake. It was delicious, just as she had predicted. “I’ve been wondering if it’s all real or not. If it’s not just some crazy dream or something.”





Hermione sighed. “It’s real all right.”





The pair of them were silent for a while. Tonks sat a few chairs away, complimenting Molly on the cake. She was the most cheerful one in the room. Somehow, Ginny didn’t see how she could do it. If it had been herself, she would’ve isolated herself from the entire world.





“Hi.” A familiar voice came over.





Ginny looked up to see Ron and Harry standing there. Ron sat on the arm of Hermione’s chair, a bottle of Butterbeer in his hand. Harry sat next to Ginny. There was a long pause, while all of them sat, lost in their own thoughts. Suddenly Ron piped up.





“Wonder if it’ll ever be normal,” he said. Everyone looked round at him. He took a swig of his drink. “You know, no deaths, no Death Eaters or anything.”





Harry grimaced. “Something tells me that won’t ever happen.”





“The scary thing is though, what you describe as ‘not normal’ seems perfectly normal to me,” said Hermione sadly. “It’s pretty much what’s been happening since Hogwarts.”





Ginny smiled in irony. “Even if things never go back to ‘normal’ though, we still have today, don’t we? And tomorrow. And the next day. We’ve got the rest of our lives to live.”





They looked at her; Harry thoughtfully, Ron with an expression of half-dismay, half-happiness and Hermione with a small sad smile.





“It’ll take time to get over this,” Ginny said, voicing what she had been feeling for days. “But maybe we should just spend that time as happily as we can. After all, Tonks seems to be cheerful enough.”





The four of them surveyed each other, reflectively. In that moment, they were no longer just adults. They were just four friends, sitting round in the living room, as they had done at Hogwarts many evenings. Then, they began to chat quietly amongst themselves, gentle laughter finally filling the conversation.








A/N: There you go, Chapter 15, finally! Whew I’m glad that’s done. Now, for this chapter, I am exceedingly sorry to all you Remus fans, but one of them just had to go. It wouldn’t be a Harry Potter story if they didn’t. Anyway thank you for being patient, in case you didn’t know why I made you guys wait such an atrociously long time was because chapter 15 got deleted in the queue first time round so I had to re-write it. Thanks for reviewing though, and if you get a chance, please review this chapter to let me know what you think ;).


N.B. The song Tonks sings in this is called ’Long Ride Home’ by Patty Griffin. I don’t own the song, I’m just borrowing it. It’s also on the soundtrack in a film called Elizabethtown.



Oh and by the way, there will be more of Draco in later chapters, just not yet though.