Breaking the Mold by Thoth
Summary: Andromeda Black was one of the few Black’s who stood up for what was right. This story
follows Andromeda through her seven years at Hogwarts, as she figures out that family values aren’t always the right ones, makes true friends, and, eventually, severs herself from her family forever.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 12832 Read: 17442 Published: 02/24/06 Updated: 08/21/07

1. In the Beginning by Thoth

2. Strangely Relieved by Thoth

3. Of Letters and Lessons by Thoth

4. Professor Binns by Thoth

5. Sitting Sirius by Thoth

6. Detention by Thoth

7. Our Experiences by Thoth

In the Beginning by Thoth
A/N: Many, many thanks to songbook99 for Betaing this for me!

Marti, the house elf, walked into the Black family sitting room, a tea tray floating steadily before her.

Andromeda Black took the tea she was offered. “Thank you, Marti,” she said, politely.

Tea was also offered to Andromeda’s mother and her two sisters.

“Marti, there is a load of laundry in Bellatrix’s room that needs to be done,” Druella Black ordered stiffly.

“Yes, miss.” Marti bowed so low that her pointed nose touched the floor, and scuttled out of the room.

“Keep reading, Cissa!” Andromeda said eagerly.

Narcissa, Andromeda’s younger sister, straightened her hair, and put her tea down. “While the Muggles were jeering at her, she (even though she was tied to a pole) was enjoying herself thoroughly. The Freezing Charm that she had placed on the flames had a very pleasant effect,” Narcissa read.

Andromeda looked up at her mother in horror. “Did the Muggles really do that?” she asked.

“Of course they did, the filthy creatures that they are,” Druella assured her daughter. “You, my dears, should be thankful that we Blacks do not taint our noble blood with that of those barbaric Muggles! Toujours Pur, my darlings, Toujours Pur.”

“Are there many Muggle-borns,” Bellatrix, Andromeda’s older sister, said it as if the word actually tasted terrible, “at Hogwarts?”

“Sadly, the number of Mudbloods and blood traitors increases by the day. We can only wait for the day when someone rids us of the vermin.”

Cygnus Black entered the room, a large book clutched in his hand. “Girls, it’s time for your French lesson. Narcissa can finish her story tonight.”

As much as she longed to hear more stories about Muggles, Andromeda gave her tea things to Marti and followed Bellatrix to their French lesson.





“I need a refill-what is your Elf’s name? -Ah, Idgie! Some more over here!”

Andromeda watched as Idgie scurried past with a bottle of wine. It was Orion Black’s thirty-fifth birthday, and most of the Black family had come to his home to celebrate it.

The younger children who had been brought along, which consisted of Andromeda, Narcissa, Bellatrix, their four year old cousin, Sirius, and their three year old cousin, Regulus, had been shooed away into the parlor and were under watch of the Black family governess, who was busily reading and knitting in the corner, paying no attention to the children.

She looked around the room. Bellatrix was busy teasing Regulus with one of his toys, and Narcissa was filing her nails, promptly ignoring Sirius, who was trying to get his cloak out from underneath her.

It was easy to see that Bellatrix, Narcissa and Andromeda were sisters. They all had the same upturned nose (but it was harder to notice on Narcissa, because she spent so much time scowling), and the same blue eyes. But Narcissa really stood out with her perfect blonde hair, while Bellatrix and Andromeda shared the same hair color and grin (though Bellatrix’s was rather more crooked). Bellatrix’s face was sharp and wicked, where Andromeda’s hair was wavy and her smile was bright.

Making sure nobody was paying any attention to her, Andromeda quietly slipped out of the room and down a dark and deserted hall. She knew, for she had heard her mother and father talk about it, that the house of Orion and Walburga Black was magically situated between two Muggle homes. Though she could not understand why a family who hated Muggles so much could live next door to them, she could not contain her curiosity.

Sidestepping Kreacher (Idgie’s son), she slipped out into the back garden. Thankfully, nobody was there, so she lifted her robes and crept towards the garden wall.

The garden wall was considerably taller then she was, so it was quite a lot of trouble for Andromeda to hoist herself onto it. She was very disappointed to find that it had been charmed to look like number twelve, Grimmauld Place was surrounded by rolling hills, and that she could get no further then the top of the wall.

“Well, if it isn’t our little fugitive!”

Andromeda almost fell off the wall in surprise. Her Uncle Alphard was leaning against the broom shed, watching her intently. She quickly hopped down (causing her feet some pain) and looked at her uncle guiltily.

“You weren’t trying to escape by any chance, were you?” Uncle Alphard laughed and beckoned her over.

“I’m sorry, Uncle Alphard. I-I heard Mum and Dad saying that this house was in a Muggle neighborhood, and with all the stories about them- I’ve never seen a Muggle before!” she explained, breathlessly.

“Never seen a Muggle before? Imagine that! But why would you be so eager to see one?” he asked.

“Why, to see what they look like, of course!”

Andromeda had always imagined Muggles to be big, horribly ugly creatures, with a lot of hair and strange noses. All the Muggle-borns and half-bloods might look a bit more human, but not much.

“To see what they- Andromeda, dear, Muggles look just the same as you and I!”

“Really?” she asked, shocked.

From the way everybody spoke about them, she couldn’t imagine them being the least bit like herself.

“Of course they do,” Uncle Alphard said. He smiled down at her and ruffled her hair. “You’ve got a ready mind, Andromeda. You’d make a good Ravenclaw.”

She stared up at him in shock. “A Ravenclaw? But, Uncle Alphard, all the Blacks have been in Slytherin!”

“I was a Ravenclaw, and your Great Uncle Linus was in Hufflepuff!”

“I’ve never heard of a Great Uncle Linus,” Andromeda muttered.

“No, I don’t suppose you would have,” Alphard sighed.

“Miss Andromeda!”

Andromeda looked up to see Idgie scurrying across the garden towards them.

“Misses Black and my Mistress is looking for you,” Idgie reported.

“Uncle Alphard, would it be okay if you didn’t mention this to my mother?” Andromeda whispered.

“I wouldn’t dare.”

With a wink, he strode back into the house, leaving her with quite a lot to think about.
Strangely Relieved by Thoth
A/N: Again, many, many thanks to songbook99. Also, there is no sorting song, because my poetry skills are lacking.

"Andromeda!" Narcissa chirped, sticking her head into the room. “Do you like your dress?”

Andromeda wiggled her hand out of the back of her dress; she had been busy scratching at the tag. Since Kings Cross was a Muggle station, the whole family had to dress up in full Muggle attire. Apparently, according to Bellatrix, it was required to wear Muggle clothing under your Hogwarts robes. She had received a whole new wardrobe of Muggle-wear. And since she had worn robes all her life, she was still getting used to all the dresses, skirts, jumpers and jeans.

“The tag is itchy,” Andromeda complained, jutting her shoulder blades out in irritation.

Narcissa came to her rescue with a pair of scissors. “I think they’re quite flattering. But you can’t get anything as lovely as dress robes.”

“Thanks.”

“You should hurry up, we’re leaving soon.” Narcissa pulled a hair off Andromeda’s shoulder and left.

Now that her tag was no longer bothering her, the excitement settled back in. In a hour, she would be on the Hogwarts Express, on her way to her first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

She coaxed her eagle owl, Icarus, into his cage and jumped at the familiar, scratchy voice. Marti was standing in the doorway.

“Is Miss’s things ready for Marti to bring down?”

“Oh-, yes. Thanks, Marti,” Andromeda said.

Marti bowed, clutching at her toga style rag. Then she snapped her fingers and both she and Andromeda’s trunk disappeared.

Andromeda stared fondly at her new wand (ten inches, Ivy, Dragon Heartstring) and pocketed it, before taking Icarus’s cage and going down into the kitchen.

“If only they would let us just Apparate right onto the platform! It would save us the trouble of...” Druella was saying.

“Yes, dear. But I suppose it would get cluttered with everyone just popping in...”

Andromeda took her trunk from Marti and stood next to Narcissa.

“Do you have everything? Andromeda, Bellatrix?” Cygnus asked.

Andromeda and Bellatrix nodded, but Narcissa scowled. She did not like the idea of being home all day while her sisters were off meeting interesting people and having fun.

“Come here, Andromeda,” Druella said.

Andromeda felt her mother’s vice-like grip on her shoulder and held fast to her owl and trunk. She felt the familiar sensation (for they did most of their family traveling by Side-Along Apparition) of being forced through a small tube. After a moment, her feet touched the ground and she inhaled deeply.

While they had been shopping in Diagon Alley, Andromeda had gotten her first glimpse of a Muggle (although Uncle Alphard had assured her she had seen one before, but just didn’t realize it). A man, with his young son, was stuttering hopelessly with a goblin at Gringotts, trying to exchange Muggle money for wizarding money. Druella had sniffed haughtily and headed them to another desk.

Andromeda looked around and wondered how not one of them had managed to notice that five people, with two owls and large trunks, had just appeared out of nowhere.

They were ushered quickly to the entrance of platform nine and three-quarters. Druella, Bellatrix and Narcissa quickly went through to the comfort of the wizarding world, but Andromeda had to be reminded (for she was openly staring at a woman behind a help desk who was talking into a strange, plastic object) by her father that the train left at eleven, and was promptly guided through the barrier.

Andromeda had been to platform nine and three-quarters twice before, both times to see Bellatrix off, and she always felt rather dizzy. On the platform, there were all different kinds of people. She had grown up, primarily, with her sisters, and had never really socialized with anyone outside her family, or her family’s pure-blood friends. She had never had a real friend before (or at least someone she had not grown up knowing), and all these different types of people and new prospects were making her nervous.

“The train will be leaving soon. You’d better go find seats,” Cygnus said.

Druella bent down and kissed Andromeda stiffly on the cheek. “Make Slytherin. Make us proud!” she whispered.

“I need to go find Pritchard,” Bellatrix drawled. “He owes me something.” She threw Narcissa a crooked grin and left.

Cygnus put his hands on Andromeda’s shoulders. “Have a good time, and study hard,” he said.

“Bye, Cissa! Try and have fun without us!” Andromeda said.

“Bye, Andromeda. See you Christmas!”

With a nervous smile, she wheeled her trolley towards the train. She had to search for a while before she found an empty compartment. With the help of Narcissa, who had seen her struggle and came over, her trunk was secure. Once in her compartment, she leaned out the window to talk to her sister.

“Who are they talking to?” she asked, craning her neck to see her parents.

“The Malfoys.”

“The ones with the son? Lucius?”

“Yes,” Narcissa smiled fondly. “Remember they always throw those Yule Parties?” She had to shout over the sound of the whistle.

The train slowly began to move. “Bye, Cissa!” She waved.

As the train sped up, the platform and her family fell into the distance. With a glance out into the corridor, she slid the compartment door closed and sat down.

Andromeda sat still for a moment. What now? The best thing for her to do was read, and wait to see if she would have to share the compartment with anyone. She fished around in her trunk for her Charms book and began to read. But she had not been reading for five minutes when the compartment door slid open and a girl appeared on the threshold.

Andromeda could not help but stare, because she had not seen anybody quite like her before. The girl had the most unusual hair she had ever seen. Some of it was in wild curls, some of it was straight, but it all stuck off in every direction, creating a large, auburn mass. The clothes she was wearing were colorful and bright, and her cheeks were tinged pink.

“Hallo. Is anyone sitting there?” the girl asked breathlessly.

“Um... no,” Andromeda said timidly.

“Do you mind if I...?” She indicated the seat across from her.

“No, go ahead.”

While the girl put her things out of the way, Andromeda chewed on the inside of her cheek nervously. She then decided that she got nervous about the silliest things and forced herself to stop.

Finally, the girl sat down across from her. “Hi, I’m Letty Branstone.” She stuck out her hand expectantly.

“Oh, um, Andromeda Black,” Andromeda said, shaking her hand.

“Andromeda? Wow, do you have any nicknames or anything..?” Letty asked with a laugh.

Andromeda laughed and scratched at her chin. “Yeah. It’s a bit long, but there really isn’t anything else...”

“Don’t worry,” Letty glanced around. “My full name’s Letitia!”

They fell into silence and Andromeda took the moment to look at her again. Letty’s cheeks were still slightly pink, so they must always be like it. Her mind began to wander. What if Letty blushed? Would it look the same, and then people wouldn’t notice? Or did she turn red all over?

Letty broke her out of her thoughts. “Are you a first year?” she asked.

“Oh, um, yes.” Andromeda directed her eyes away from her new acquaintance’s pink cheeks.

“That’s great, me too! What House do you think you’ll be in?”

Andromeda took a moment to look outside. They were passing rolling hills, but the sky was turning steely grey and it looked like it was going to rain. “I don’t really know... Ravenclaw, maybe?”

She thought back to her conversation with Uncle Alphard. He had said she would make a good Ravenclaw. But then the stiff voice of her mother pushed itself into her head. “Make Slytherin. Make us proud.” What if she didn’t get sorted into Slytherin? She didn’t fancy herself very cunning.

“Yeah. I don’t know either. Probably Ravenclaw, a lot of my relatives are there, but Gryffindor sounds good too,” Letty said. “I’ve got a brother in Ravenclaw, and another in Hufflepuff.”

Then the conversation turned to family, which Andromeda was eager to hear about. She didn’t know what her mother would do if she made friends with somebody who was Muggle-born. Thankfully, Letty’s parents were both magical.

“I have three brothers. Liam, he’s a fourth year Ravenclaw, Llewellyn is twelve and is in Hufflepuff, and Luke is ten, and doesn’t start Hogwarts until next year,” Letty explained.

Andromeda tried to imagine growing up with three brothers. Growing up with Narcissa and Bellatrix was rather calm. There was rarely any fighting, except when Bellatrix would cast spells on her things, as they each had their own of everything, and the Blacks kept a strict watch on their children.

“I have two sisters,” Andromeda said, when she felt it was her turn to share. “Narcissa and Bellatrix. Narcissa is two years younger then me, and Bella is two years older. She’s in Slytherin.”

As they emerged from a tunnel, it had already begun to rain. The rhythmic patter on the window was lulling Andromeda to sleep, but when Letty began to talk about Quidditch, she had to shake herself awake, and give her two cents on the Falmouth Falcons.

A considerable amount of time had passed, and Andromeda and Letty were in the middle of a game of Gobstones, when the compartment door slid open. It was an old wizard with a trolley full of food.

“Anthin’ off t’trolley?” he wheezed.

Andromeda looked at her selection. She was quite hungry, so she bought a lot of Liquorice Wands (which were her favorite) and a few Chocolate Frogs. The wizard left and they sat back
down.

“Do you want some gum? It’s Drooble’s,” Letty asked, her mouth half full with a Cauldron Cake.

Andromeda looked at the gum. Her mother had never let any of her children chew gum; she thought it was a repulsive habit. Andromeda had only really had it once, and only then it had been a flavorless pink piece Bellatrix had smuggled into the house.

Since she had never had Drooble’s Best Blowing Gum, and it was said to actually be the best, she ignored her mother’s ever sounding voice in her head and took the offered piece.

It tasted delicious, like raspberry, and when she blew a bubble (which was patterned with red and pink stripes) it broke free from the rest of the gum and began to float around the compartment.

While they were laughing at the fact that a bubble was stuck to Andromeda’s shoe, the compartment door opened once again.

Three people stood in the doorway. Two of them (the girl and one of the boys) were very tall and dark. They looked to be in some way related. The other was a short, pasty boy with chubby cheeks and brown hair. They were all wearing their robes.

“Hullo, are you first years?” the tall girl asked.

“Yeah, both of us!” Letty said, happy at the prospect of meeting new people.

“Us too,” the tall boy said. “We wanted to go around and meet some of the other first years.”

Andromeda chewed on her gum in a way that would make Druella gape in horror. “I’m Andromeda Black,” she greeted, offering her hand to the short boy.

Then there was quite a lot of handshaking and introductions. The two tall ones (who happened to be twins) were Anna and Theodore Sparrows, and the other boy was William Hatch.

“Did you two and William just meet?” Letty asked. She was evidently enjoying the extra company.

“No, we’ve known William for ages,” Theodore said.

“Our parents are friends,” William put in.

“You two should get your robes on. We were just up front and the driver said that we’ll be there soon,” Anna said.

“See you in Hogwarts!” Theodore said, shutting the compartment door behind him.

With much hooting from Icarus, he was getting jostled around quite a bit, they hopped into their robes and pressed their noses up against the window, trying to see through the thickly falling rain. After a while, Andromeda cried, “I see the station!”

The conductor’s voice echoed through the train, telling them to leave their luggage in the compartment. Soon the Hogwarts Express rolled to a stop, and all the excited students spilled out onto the platform.

Andromeda stayed close to Letty and held her arm up to shield her face from the down pouring rain.

“Now what?” she yelled to Letty over the buzz of the crowd.

But her answer was given in the form of the largest man she had ever seen. “Firs’ years!” he boomed. “Firs’ years over ‘ere!”

Letty grabbed her elbow and they pushed their way towards the large man. Soon they were crowded around him with the rest of the first years. Andromeda blinked up at him in amazement, wondering if she had come across a bad Engorgement Charm.

“Firs’ years are lucky,” the man, who said his name was Hagrid, said. “Ye get ter go across the lake!”

“I wouldn’t call us lucky,” Letty whispered, and Andromeda nodded in agreement; it was really raining quite heavily.

They followed Hagrid up a hill, then to the edge of a vast, dark lake. A little fleet of boats floated before them.

“Four ter a boat!” Hagrid called.

Andromeda and Letty piled into a boat with two blonde girls. She saw a flash of pink in the boat ahead of them, and, with a jerk, all the boats began to glide across the water.

The trip across the lake was not an easy one. The rain poured down and the waves rocked the boat. One of the blonde girls got a little sick. Then, lights appeared in the distance.

“There it is!” the other blonde girl cried.

Although the heavy rain impaired her vision, Andromeda saw that Hogwarts was very big, had many towers and turrets, and a large grounds. The nervousness of being sorted began to gnaw away at her stomach.

The boats bumped against the shore and all the fist years (slipping and sliding in the mud) followed Hagrid through the grounds and to a pair of large oak doors.

“Everyone ready?” Hagird asked.

There were a few half-hearted ‘yes’s’ and one queasy sounding ‘no’ from the blonde girl who had gotten sick in the boat. Despite their answers, Hagrid pushed them into Hogwarts.

The Entrance Hall was very large, bright and warm. It made Andromeda feel very small and wet.

She began to wonder if the Black family lived in a very different way from the rest of the world upon seeing a tall man in aqua robes, buckled boots, pointed hat and the longest silver hair she had ever seen, striding towards them.

“Ah, first years! Welcome to Hogwarts! I am Professor Dumbledore, the Deputy Headmaster,” he greeted happily.

“Sorry we’re late, Professor. The lake was rough,” Hagrid explained.

“It’s quite all right.” Professor Dumbledore peered out at them from behind half-moon spectacles. “We are all ready for you now. Follow me, if you please!”

They followed Professor Dumbledore across the Hall and through a door. Then they were led through the Great Hall, and told to stand in front of the staff table. While everyone else marveled at the ceiling, Andromeda scanned the Slytherin table for Bellatrix. Once found, Bellatrix gave her a reassuring smile that only made her more nervous.

While she had been looking for her sister, Dumbledore had placed a stool and a tattered old hat in front of them. Andromeda looked expectantly at the hat; Bellatrix had told her it was supposed to sing.

She listened while the hat sang about brave Godric Gryffindor, ambitious Salazar Slytherin, just Helga Hufflepuff and intelligent Rowena Ravenclaw. She chewed on the inside of her cheek, waiting for it to be done.

After the hat was done, the Hall burst into applause and Dumbledore cleared his throat for silence. “When I call your name, please step up and be Sorted,” he said. “Alderton, Damon!”

Andromeda watched eagerly as Damon Alderton sat with the Sorting Hat on his head. It wasn’t long before the hat shouted, “Ravenclaw!”, and he scurried away to his new house mates.

“Applebottom, Anne-Marie!”

The other blonde girl who she had shared a boat with, put on the hat and became a Hufflepuff.

“Black, Andromeda!” Dumbledore called.

Andromeda started at the sound of her own name and quickly went up and sat on the stool. The hat slipped down over her ears and she was plunged into darkness.

“Hmm, a Black, eh?” a voice sounded in her ear. She jumped once again. “Well, usually Blacks are true born Slytherins, but there have been some exceptions. Let’s take a look inside your head.”

Andromeda waited as patiently as she could for the hat to finish. Then, finally, it spoke. “Now, I know you would hate to disappoint your family, but you belong in RAVENCLAW!”

The hat was plucked from her head and she was pushed towards the Ravenclaw table, which was cheering loudly. After sitting down next to someone who looked vaguely familiar, she craned her neck to spot Bellatrix, but she couldn’t see her.

She didn’t have time to dwell on why she felt strangely relieved, because after “Bobbin, Olivia!” was sorted into Hufflepuff, it was Letty’s turn.

The hat was on Letty’s head for quite some time. Finally, after a good two minutes, the hat shouted, “RAVENCLAW!” and Andromeda cheered loudly. It would be great having somebody she already knew in her House.

Letty plunked down on the other side of Andromeda. “This is excellent!” she said happily.

“Congratulations, Letty,” the boy on the other side of Andromeda said.

Andromeda could now see why he had looked familiar. He and Letty looked uncommonly alike, and they both shared the same unfortunate hair.

“Andromeda, this is my older brother, Liam,” Letty explained.

While Diggory Catchlove became the first Gryffindor, Andromeda and Liam were being introduced.

The Sorting went by in a whirl of names and Houses. Anna and William went to Gryffindor, but Theodore got sorted into Hufflepuff. Finally, Andromeda watched as Bellatrix clapped when Dorset Pritchard became a Slytherin, and Dumbledore took the hat away.

The Hall fell silent as the Headmaster, Professor Armando Dippet, stood. “Welcome to Hogwarts!” he wheezed.

And Andromeda smiled, glad she was finally here.
Of Letters and Lessons by Thoth
Author's Notes:
I know that there isn't any Linus on the Black family tree, but he was created before the newer one was put out, so bear with me!

Two letters, both received at Andromeda’s first Hogwarts breakfast, contained reactions to the results of her Sorting.



Andromeda,

Your father, I, and the rest of the family are very disappointed that the Sorting Hat did not place you in Slytherin. Though Ravenclaw house signifies intelligence, we would have preferred that you had been placed in Slytherin, and continued to uphold the Black family name.



The house elf made you some cakes, which are in the package. Work hard and you may still make us proud.



Mother.






Dearest Andromeda,

Your father has just informed me that you’ve been Sorted into Ravenclaw! That’s absolutely spiffing! I always knew you were an intelligent one!



Try not to get into too much trouble! Enjoy the new pot of ink I bought you. I happen to know that old Dumbledore is fond of purple, so try writing your Transfiguration essays in it!



Love,

Uncle Alphard




A note, balled up and thrown at Andromeda’s head during lunch on the same day.



Meet me in the Owlery at six.



Bellatrix






Andromeda rubbed her gloved hands against her numb cheeks. Where was her sister? She had gotten lost twice on the way up, but she was still standing alone in the Owlery. She shot a wary glace at the large barn owl perched next to her; it clicked its beak menacingly.



“Bellatrix, where are you?” she muttered, shifting her weight from foot to foot.



“Stop complaining, Andromeda. It’s not that cold.” Bellatrix appeared in the doorway.



“You’re the one who said six,” she grumbled, but waited patiently for Bellatrix to pick her way around the dead mice and owl droppings.



Bellatrix shooed some owls away and found a place to lean against. Then, she quietly surveyed Andromeda. It was very unsettling. Finally, she spoke. “What did you say to the Sorting Hat?”



“I didn’t say anything!” Andromeda said indignantly.



“Well, then how did you end up in Ravenclaw?” Bellatrix asked cooly.



“I-I don’t know! It didn’t really tell me why. I suppose it thinks I’m more- more smart then cunning...”



“So, you didn’t say or think anything about not wanting to be in Slytherin?” Bellatrix snarled.



“No, no. Of course not,” Andromeda mumbled weakly.



“Good. The last thing we need is another blood-traitor on our hands,” Bellatrix grinned her rather frightening, crooked grin. “C’mon, pork chops in the Great Hall.”



Andromeda gave the barn owl one last wary glace before following Bellatrix down the stone steps.







Andromeda looked down at the worktable before her. She had made absolutely no progress since Herbology class had begun.



“Andromeda, don’t move!” William Hatch, who was one of the people that she was sharing the table with, said suddenly.



She froze. What was it? Had one of those sinister looking spider plants crawled onto her?



“What is it?”



She felt William’s hand on her head. “My seed just jumped into your hair. Didn’t want to loose it again!”



Andromeda shot William an annoyed look. The Ravenclaws shared Herbology class with the Gryffindors. She was sharing a table with William, Anna, Letty and Michael Hooper (a Gryffindor student). Out of them all, Letty was the only one making any progress.



While Letty was watering her already planted seeds, William was trying to keep a hold of his, Michael Hooper was chasing after his, one of Anna’s seeds had jumped into the watering can and Andromeda was busy pretending that she hadn’t lost all of hers in the first five minutes of class.



Once Letty was finished tending to her seeds, she turned to Andromeda. “Andromeda,” she laughed, “did you loose all your seeds?”



Andromeda, who had been searching around the table for one of her escaped jumping beans, straightened up. She snapped her gum guiltily.



“They’re hard to catch hold of,” she said defensively.



Letty carefully reached under a pot, where she had trapped her beans. She pulled one out and stuck it into the spoil in front of Andromeda. “Here,” she said, “I’ve got an extra one.”



“Thanks,” Andromeda said gratefully



She watered it, labeled her pot and went off to help in the search for Michael Hooper’s lost seeds.



The bell sounded and everybody rushed to lunch, complaining of the difficulty of keeping hold of their projects.



It was Friday, and the end of Andromeda’s first week at Hogwarts. Ravenclaw House was excellent, and the large circular common room was nice and cosy. She shared a dorm with Letty and two other girls: Suzanne Twonk and Mary Fawcett. Suzanne turned out to be the blonde girl who had gotten sick going across the Lake and Mary was a hot-tempered red-head, who had gotten very angry when Suzanne’s socks wound up underneath her bed. Along with Suzanne and Mary, there was also Lewis Chambers, a boy with large front teeth, Conroy Capper, who looked remarkably like a bird, and Damon Alderton, who had a great tuft of curly blonde hair.



All of her classes were going well, besides Potions. She had never had to cook or stir anything before, and she certainly never had to patiently wait for her potion to simmer, and she found that she was not very good at it. She particularly liked Astronomy. Professor Green, the Astronomy teacher, praised her on being able to locate Andromeda without any help at all. She also enjoyed Transfiguration; Professor Dumbledore was even stranger then he looked, and though Transfiguration was not easy, she tried very hard to meet his standards.



After she had scrubbed the dirt from her hands and gulped down a helping of turkey soup, Andromeda rushed from the Great Hall. She needed to get a book about glamour charms, to prove to Letty that a girl could grow a full beard if she wanted to. Although there was still a half hour until her last class, it would be a miracle if she managed to get directly to the library without getting lost.



“Right,” she said to herself, upon encountering a fork in the corridor, “I should go left, because there’s that tapestry Letty’s brother was talking about...”



Three staircases and a door pretending to be a wall later, she was convinced she was lost. This corridor was completely new to her, and there were no windows in sight.



“Andromeda?”



Andromeda spun around to find Theodore and Anna Sparrows on the top step of the staircase she had just climbed.



“Oh-hullo! I’m a bit lost...” she said, scratching the back of her head. “Do you know how to get to the library?”



Theodore laughed. “You passed it two floors ago.”



“Do you want us to take you?” Anna asked.



“Well, if it’s no trouble... Where were you two headed, anyway?” Andromeda said, peering further up the corridor.



“I was going to my common room and Theo was taking a shortcut to the Hufflepuff Wing. He knows this castle inside and out already,” Anna said.



Theodore grinned. “C’mon. Let’s go.”









“Hey, Andromeda! What’s the name of the book again?”



“Um, Madam Pretty’s Encyclopedia of Beautifying Incantations!” Andromeda shouted over the shelves.



She turned around to put a book back and then dropped it in surprise. Bellatrix was standing in front of her, looking particularly menacing. She quickly picked up her book and shoved it onto a shelf.



“Merlin, Bella. You scared me!” When Bellatrix didn’t say anything, she continued, “What are you doing over here?”



She thought she had seen the group of tough-looking Slytherins Bellatrix kept in her company on the way in, but they were over at the other end of the library.



“Who are they?” Bellatrix demanded, nodding her head towards the section Anna and Theodore were in.



“Oh. They’re Anna and Theodore Sparrows. I got lost, so they brought me to the library, and now they’re helping me look for some books,” Andromeda explained.



“And do you know what they are?” Bellatrix hissed.



“Uh,” Andromeda faltered. “Tall?”



“No, you idiot! You’re hanging around with a bunch of Mudbloods!”



She stared at Bellatrix. Anna and Theodore were Muggle-born? She couldn’t remember ever being told about this.



“A-are you sure? How do you know?”



“Pritchard told me. He said their father was a dentist!”



“What? Well, um....”



“Well? You’re not going to keep around them, are you?” Bellatrix spat.



The face of Druella Black floated into her mind. Her mother would probably go into shock, maybe even faint, at learning that her daughter was hanging around with Muggle-borns.

Andromeda had already disappointed her once already...



“N-no. Of course not,” she replied weakly.



“Good. Now I don’t have to deny the fact that we’re related.” The scowl vanished from Bellatrix’s face and she sauntered off to join her friends. Andromeda slowly went to find Anna and Theodore.



“Did you find the book?” Anna asked upon seeing her.



“Sorry, I can’t stay. I have a... History of Magic essay,” Andromeda lied quickly, feeling her face turn scarlet.



“History of Magic? But Binns didn’t give us-!”



“Bye!” With that, Andromeda fled the library, feeling absolutely horrible.









Over the next two days, Andromeda avoided Anna and Theodore at all costs. She did not want to hurt them, for they were very nice and friendly, nor did she want to upset her family - they had raised her, after all.



Andromeda furiously wondered how her family could possibly hate such nice people. She had known them for a week and had not even realized that they were Muggle-born! She was practically torn in two about it, and she had no idea what to do.



On consulting Letty about the problem, all she could get her to say was, “I don’t know what to tell you, Andromeda. I can’t tell you to rebel, I don’t think you’d be very good at it, and I don’t think you’d just want to abandon Anna and Theodore.” But, on further persuasion from Andromeda, during which she insisted that she could be good at rebelling if that was what she wanted to do, and that she indeed did not want to abandon the Sparrow twins, Letty gave her this answer, “I’m not a pureblood. My great-grandfather on my mother’s side was a half-blood.”



Of course she didn’t care that the Branstones weren’t pureblood, but that didn’t help her problem in the slightest.



Sunday afternoon she was leaving the Great Hall so she could go to the common room when somebody called her name.



“Andromeda!” It was Theodore’s voice.



She could not possibly slip away or pretend that she had not heard him. Turning slowly around, she found Anna and Theodore jogging towards her.



“Hi!” said Theodore breathlessly.



“Finally,” Anna said, sounding annoyed. “We haven’t seen you all weekend!”



Andromeda felt herself turning red. Upon coming to Hogwarts, she found that she was not a good liar. “Oh, well... I’ve been... around.” She fidgeted nervously.



“Yeah, well. We’ve got something for you,” Theodore thrust a package into her hands. “I wrote to dad a while back and told him all about Hogwarts. He was really interested in Letty, Thomas O'Connor and you, because your parents are magical. I probably mentioned how you’re always chewing Drooble’s. And-well, my dad’s a dentist, and he asked Mrs Hatch, William’s mum (she’s a witch), to pick you up some sugar-free Drooble’s. They’re good for your teeth!”



“Oh -wow,” Andromeda said, astonished.



“It doesn’t taste different or anything,” Anna explained. “He just doesn’t want us about with people who have rotted teeth.”



“Ah. She chewed on the inside of her cheek for a moment. “Thanks, um - tell your dad I really appreciate it.” She offered them a tight smile. She was sure that if she opened her mouth any more it would all come spilling out.



“No problem. Hey-we’ve gotta go meet William. See you tomorrow?” Theodore said.



She nodded.



They walked away and Andromeda wished that the floor would open up and swallow her right then and there.







Andromeda’s sense of direction was rubbish. She was mildly sure that she was in some turret of either the East Tower or the West Tower. But, what she was not sure of, was how to get out. She tried to open an old wooden door at the foot of a rickety staircase; it was locked.



“Ah, Miss Black. I assume your attempt at breaking and entering my office is unintentional.”



Andromeda gave a yelp of surprise and spun around. Professor Dumbledore was standing there, looking at her in his usual twinkling way.



“P-professor Dumbledore! I didn’t see you there,” she stuttered.



“Yes, I am happy to say that I have quite improved my skills of stealth,” he mused. “Lost, I presume? Please, step into my office! I am sure we could both use a cup of tea for our frazzled nerves.”



Step into my office, said the spider to the fly, was all she could think as she was lead into her Transfiguration professor’s office. How did Dumbledore know that her nerves were frazzled?



Professor Dumbledore’s office was packed with interesting things, which she could not look at for long. Dumbledore sat in a high-backed chair behind his desk and he gestured to a very squishy looking chair for her to do the same.



She settled into the chair and looked around with interest. Dumbledore tapped a kettle sitting on his desk and steam whistled from the spout.



“How do you take your tea?” he asked.



She answered him and was handed her tea. Quickly, though the tea was still hot, she began sipping it. Since she was not chewing any gum at the moment, she didn’t want to just wait for Dumbledore to say something.



“I once knew a woman by the name of Cedrella Weasley,” Dumbledore said eventually. “Are you familiar with the name?”



She was sure that she had heard the name before, but she could not remember where. “No,” she said.



“She met a man named Septimus Weasley, and they fell in love. But Cedrella’s family did not approve of Septimus. Cedrella felt that she was so deeply in love with Mr Weasley that she went against her family’s wishes and married him. Though the first few years of her married life were tough, I have scarcely met a happier woman,” Dumbledore said.



Was Dumbledore trying to give her advice?



“Her brother, Linus, was a splendid chap as well, very talented on the bagpipes.”



Linus? Hadn’t Uncle Alphard mentioned a Great Uncle Linus last summer?



Andromeda gave him an unsure smile. She believed she knew what he was getting at.



“Well, Miss Black, I would love to continue our chat, but it is almost past your curfew! If I am not most mistaken, there is a shortcut that will lead you right to Ravenclaw Tower just outside my office. Just tell the willow tree in the round picture frame that you’re a Ravenclaw, and he’ll let you right in!”



She got up. “Thank you for the tea, Professor,” she said. “And for the tip.”



Then she left to go talk to the picture of the willow tree, wondering if it was possible for one person to know just about everything.







“And in the Ministry of 1847...” Professor Binns, the very old and extremely boring, History of Magic teacher droned on.



Andromeda blew a bubble with her new, sugar-free Drooble’s Best Blowing Gum. It broke free from the rest of the gum and began to float around the classroom.



She had been staring at the back of Anna’s head, since she was sitting in front of her, for fifteen minutes now. Finally, pushing the furious face of Druella Black out of her head, she leaned forward.



Just as she was about to tap Anna’s shoulder, the bell rang. Andromeda hurried to catch her in the corridor.



“Anna?”



“Oh, hi, Andromeda,” Anna said.



“Letty and I are going to do our homework out by the Lake. Do you, Theodore and William want to come?” Andromeda asked hurriedly.



“Well, if you’re sure you’re done ignoring us,” Anna said lightly.



Andromeda grimaced.



“No, it’s okay. As long as you're coming around,” Anna grinned. “Let’s go find the others.”



Suddenly, Andromeda spotted Bellatrix at the end of the corridor. She bit her lip and walked quickly.



“Andromeda?” Bellatrix’s eyes were fixed on Anna.



Andromeda drew together all the courage she could possibly muster. “Hullo, Bella. We were just -uh -we’re going to go and do some homework by the Lake,” she paused. “Well, bye!”



Well, she was no Gryffindor.



Andromeda exhaled loudly and hurried away, while Bellatrix stood there, glaring furiously after her.
Professor Binns by Thoth

“How old do you think he is?”

Andromeda, who had been dozing off, shook herself awake. “How old do I think who is?” she asked through a yawn.

“Professor Binns!” William Hatch whispered.

She rubbed her eyes and looked at her History of Magic teacher. He looked like he was about five hundred or so, he was so shriveled and prune-looking.

“Must be pretty old, looks like a gust of wind could knock him over,” Andromeda said with a laugh, picturing the scene in her head.

Hot air was coming in through the open window next to her, and that and Professor Binns’ lesson was making her feel slow and sleepy. She knew she should be paying attention and taking notes, seeing as exams were only a week away, but she just couldn’t bring herself to do it.

So instead she glared at the back of Phoebus Walnut’s head (the Slytherin boy who loved to tease her) and resolved to study History of Magic for at least an hour that night.

William was asking Letty how old she thought Professor Binns was when the bell sounded, signaling the end of classes for that day. Andromeda gathered her things and made her way outside with Letty to lounge by the lake.



“I hate it when we have History of Magic two days in a row,” Letty complained.

“Me too,” Andromeda agreed as Phoebus Walnut shoved past her into the classroom.

“I bet I’ll fail the exam,” Letty said as she sat down. “Too many dates to remember!”

Andromeda, as well as most of the other students, were gazing around the classroom. Where was Professor Binns? He was usually sitting at his desk when they came in.

“Hey, where’s Professor-?” Andromeda began but she was cut off when several people screamed.

A pearly white version of their History of Magic teacher had just floated through the chalk board!

“G’evening class. Page three hundred and fifty-four, we’ll look back on the great giant revolt of 1493,” he wheezed, the same as always.

He then proceeded to drone on as usual, totally unaware of his gaping audience.

Finally Ted Tonks, a Gryffindor boy, had the sense to say, “Um, Professor? I think you’re a... ghost?”

“Eh?” Binns said. “What’s that, Mr French?”

“You’re a ghost!”

“Yes, yes. I realize that, boy. Now, Klunk, who was the leader of the giants living in the West Indies at the time...”

And then Andromeda, because everyone else seemed to be at a loss for words, raised her hand. “Sir... Don’t you think that someone should tell Professor Dippet or something?” she asked.

Binns, annoyed at being interrupted twice, scowled. “Tell Professor Dippet what?”

“About... About your death!”

“Hmm. Yes, I suppose that’s a good idea... Mr French, run and fetch the Headmaster,” Binns said, still unperturbed.

Seeing as there was no Mr French in the class, Ted Tonks ran to get the Headmaster while Professor Binns went back to Klunk and his nine wives.



The next morning at breakfast the Great Hall was buzzing with talk about the death of the History of Magic teacher. Andromeda, who was seated uncomfortably between Suzanne Twonk and a very broad fifth year, was trying to explain something to Suzanne.

“But he died!” Suzanne whispered. “Why isn’t anyone sad?”

“You’ve never known a ghost before?” Andromeda asked in amazement.

“No! I’m a halfblood but I live with my mum who’s a Muggle,” she explained.

“Oh. Well since he’s a ghost, he’s pretty much the same as he was when he was alive,” Andromeda said, pausing to look up at the owls flying into the Great Hall. “My father says you should gauge your reaction by how upset the ghost is. Professor Binns doesn’t seem to be upset at all, so...”

Her owl, Icarus, landed in front of her with a red envelope clutched in his claws. Andromeda paled visibly.

“Wow, is that a Howler?” Suzanne asked, her amazement about Professor Binns distracted at the prospect of something loud and angry.

Andromeda let out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding as she slowly opened the envelope. It was just a letter from Narcissa about the new dress robes she had bought and the stationary set Uncle Orion had given her (hence the new, red envelope).

It had been several months since the incident with Bellatrix and Andromeda was still paranoid. Apparently, Bellatrix had not told anyone that her sister was friends with two Muggle-born twins. She had not had a proper conversation with Bellatrix since, but she hoped things wold get better over the summer.

“Can I have everybody’s attention please?” Professor Dippet’s voice rang out through the hall.

Everybody fell quiet, eager to hear what would be done.

“I am sure you are all aware,” Dippet began, his voice scratchy, “of the passing of Professor Binns. This is unhappy business, of course, but I am pleased to inform everyone that the ghost of Professor Binns has agreed to stay at Hogwarts and continue teaching History of Magic.”

The Hall broke out in cries of astonishment and was not quiet until Professor Dumbledore tapped his goblet with his knife.

“Hogwarts has never had a ghost on staff before,” Professor Dippet continued. “But I can assure you that Professor Binns will do as good a job as ever.”

“I can’t believe he’s still going to teach!” Andromeda whispered to Suzanne. She nodded.

“Students wishing to accompany Professor Binns to his funeral on Saturday may do so. The carriages will be waiting outside at eight o’clock.”

Seeing that the matter was finished, Professor Dippet sat back down.

“What about the History of Magic exams?” a Hufflepuff called out.

“My exams will proceed as usual,” Professor Binns wheezed.

Andromeda groaned.
Sitting Sirius by Thoth

Andromeda was sitting in a tree. She wasn’t, of course, allowed to be in a tree, but the fact that she wasn’t made it seem much cooler to the little seed of rebellion Letty Branstone had planted in the back of her mind. And it also made the stick poking into her thigh much easier to ignore.

A vision in white appeared below her. Narcissa was wearing a large and rather ridiculous white sunhat, which absolutely baffled Andromeda. This was probably only the second time Narcissa had set foot outside all summer and she more then likely would not be staying out long enough
to get tanned, let alone burnt.

“Andromeda?” Narcissa said slowly. “Why are you in a tree?”

“It’s cool because I’m in shade. I don’t want to get more burnt then I already am,” Andromeda explained.

Normally, she was smothered in Brink’s Anti-Burn before she stepped foot outside, but Druella had forgotten the previous day and now Andromeda looked like an overly-ripe tomato.

Narcissa looked at Andromeda’s feet; they were bare and rather dirty. Andromeda could see the disapproval shining in her eyes. “Right... Mother’s looking for you. She’s in the sitting room.”

“Okay,” Andromeda said with a sigh.

She waited until Narcissa had gone back inside before she hopped down and made her way into the house. Before she entered the sitting room she quickly pushed the sticky hair tendrils off her face and hopped into a pair of clogs to hide her dirty feet.

The sitting room was freezing. Druella sat in her everyday robes (the children had taken to shorts and t-shirts) with her wand in one hand and a copy of the Daily Prophet in the other. Cold air was shooting from her wand tip. Andromeda threw herself into the chair across from her so that he cold air shot straight at her.

“You wanted to see me, Mother?” she asked lazily.

“Yes,” Druella said, as brisk and stiff as usual. “Sit up properly, Andromeda. I don’t know what they’re teaching you in Ravenclaw house, but in my house we know how to sit civilly.”

Andromeda bit hard on the inside of her cheek and sat up straight.

“That’s better, dear,” Druella said. “Now, Walburga and Orion have fired their governess.”

Andromeda looked at her blankly. “Why did they do that?”

“The silly girl was caught stealing. She was, of course, turned out instantly,” Druella sniffed.

“Are they getting a new one?” Andromeda asked. She wished her mother would hurry up about it and tell her what all this had to do with her.

“They’ve advertised,” Druella said slowly, as if advertizing was the most ridiculous way to find a governess. “Orion and Walburga are going out for the day, and since they have no governess they need someone to watch the children.” She looked pointedly at Andromeda.

“Why don’t you ask Bella? She’s older,” Andromeda pointed out.

Druella gave her a severe look. “I’d like to think that I have more sense then to leave Bellatrix alone with two young children.”

“Alright,” Andromeda sighed.

Although she had nothing special planned for tomorrow, she wasn’t eager to babysit her cousins. Even though Regulus was easy to handle, she knew from experience Sirius Black was quite a handful.




Grimmauld Place was large and rather confusing. Andromeda, in search of her cousins, walked down a dark hallway, intent on going upstairs.

“Ow!” She sucked in her breath as her foot collided with something solid and she tumbled to the floor.

She had walked right into an umbrella stand that she supposed was made out of a troll’s leg.

While she picked herself up off the floor, she wondered idly who would go through all the trouble of killing a troll, only to sell its limbs as bits of furniture. And, who in their right mind would want to showcase their umbrellas in something as ugly as a hollowed troll’s leg? Aunt
Walburga, obviously.

“Regulus?” she called, advancing up the stairs. “Sirius?”

Something popped out at her from behind a large vase. Andromeda’s heart leapt up her throat and she gripped the stair rail to keep her from falling over.

“‘Dromeda?” the thing muttered, looking at its feet.

It was then that she realized it was Regulus. He had an elephant trunk sprouting out from where his nose should have been, feathers covering his head, spikes coming out of his cheeks and ears five times bigger then normal.

Andromeda fell into peals of laughter, now clutching the rail for suppose. Regulus’ eyes began to water.

“Uh-um, Regulus,” Andromeda managed, trying to suppress her laughter. “Don’t cry. It’s- S’nothing, really.” She averted her eye to the stall her giggling. “I, um, came across a Cheering Charm on the way here. Still a bit giddy.”

Regulus did not seem comforted. Perhaps it was because Andromeda had caught sight of him from the corner of her eye and was choking with laughter.

“Hem-ah, what happened?”

“Sirius,” Regulus mumbled.

Ah, yes. That would explain it.

As if on cue, Sirius appeared next to her, the picture of innocence. He was even whistling.

“Sirius,” Andromeda focused on Sirius, who did not look like a cross between a little boy, an elephant, a blowfish and a blue jay and therefore quelled her laughter, “what did you do to Regulus?”

Sirius almost masked the silly grin on his face. Almost. “I didn’t do anything, Andromeda!”

“Snitch!” she heard him hiss at his brother.

Andromeda set her brain to work. Her aunt and uncle would not go anywhere without their wands, and hers was safely in her pocket, so he couldn’t have gotten hold of a wand. He had probably gotten into the Potions cabinet.

She took both boys by the hand and, still giggling slightly, led them down to the cellar.

Sure enough, there was a stack of milk crates leading up to the Potions cabinet. Sirius had climbed up them and managed to reach a few bottles.

She sighed. “I’m hopeless at Potions.”

Sirius’ grin grew even wider.

“Regulus,” she said, trying her best to be solemn, “I can’t put you right. If I tried it would probably only get worse.”

Regulus’ eyes began to water again.

“SO what would you like to do now?” she asked in attempt to cheer him up. “We can have a licorice wand sandwich or-”

“Hide and seek?” Regulus suggested, wiping his eyes.

“Oh-okay. We’ll play hide and seek,” Andromeda said with a warm smile.

She had always been quite good at hide and seek, small enough to fit almost anywhere.

Andromeda turned her back to the two boys and loudly said, “ONE!”

They were both gone before she could even get to two.




Andromeda had never realized how many small places to tuck away inside there were in Grimmauld Place. She had been searching for about ten minutes (which is a rather long time when you’re pressed between a wall and a bookshelf) and had not found either Regulus or Sirius.

Creeeeeeeeek!

It seemed as if nobody had been to the attic in sometime. Kreacher probably didn’t even clean up there. But there were many possible hiding spots so Andromeda had lit a candle and went up.

Quietly she pulled open the heavy, floor-length curtains. No giggling little boys behind there, but at least she could see without the candle now.

There weren’t any giggling little boys in the purple trunk, the old wardrobe or behind the old birdcage either. There was only one more place left to look.

An old velvet sheet had been thrown over something and pushed away into a corner. It didn’t seem to be shaped like a little boy, but she decided to check anyway.

She pulled off the sheet and gasped, then checked herself when she realized it was only an old picture.

“Oh, s’only a portrait,” she muttered to herself.

The young man in the portrait was sleeping, his head leaning back on the chair he was sitting in. His hair was slicked back and was a startling tomato red; he had one long, thin eyebrow and his nose, she was surprised to find, looked a lot like hers.

“Hullo. What’s this?”

Andromeda jumped as a scratchy voice sounded through the attic. She looked down to find the man in the portrait had woken up.

“Who are you, young lady?” the picture asked, his eyebrow moving expressively when he talked.

“I’m Andromeda,” and then, just to be clear on who she belonged to, “Andromeda Black.”

“Why, hello, Andromeda,” the man said.

“Who’re you?” she asked.

She had never seen him before, but since there was a picture of him at her aunt and uncle’s, maybe she had heard of him.

“Oh, forgive my manners. The name’s Phineas Black,” the young man said with a grin.

She thought for a minute. “I have a great-great-grandfather Phineas.”

“Phineas Nigellus? He was my grandfather,” Phineas said slowly.

“Well... That makes you my great-uncle, right?” Andromeda replied, calculating in her head.

“Indeed it does,” Phineas said softly.

She didn’t think it very polite to point out she had never heard of a great-uncle Phineas before, so she didn’t mention it.

“If you don’t mind me asking, Uncle Phineas, why did Aunt Walburga put your up here? Did your frame clash with the wallpaper?”

Phineas chuckled. “No, I’m afraid not.”

She waited to see if she would get an explanation.

“Tell me, Andromeda. How old are you?” he asked eventually.

“Twelve,” she replied, sitting on the floor so she was eye to eye with him.

“So you’ve started Hogwarts?”

Andromeda nodded. “I’ll be in second year next month. I’m a Ravenclaw.”

“Ahh,” Phineas said, before smiling. “I was taken down because I believed in something my family didn’t quite approve of.”

“Were you friends with a Muggle?” she asked quietly, thinking about Anna and Theodore Sparrows.

He looked incredibly sad, his eyebrow not moving at all. “Something like that.”

Before she could respond, Sirius’ voice carried up to her. “Aaandrooomeddda! I’m tired of hiding. Can you make me a sandwich?”

She would have really liked to keep talking to Phineas. “I have to go,” she said apologetically.

“Goodbye, Andromeda,” Phineas said.

She smiled at him before leaving to attend to Sirius.



The next time Andromeda was at Grimmauld Place she went up to the attic. The velvet cloth was there but the picture of Phineas Black was not.
Detention by Thoth
“Oh, Letty! That’s gross. Don’t put your gum there!” Andromeda whispered.

Letty grinned and stuck her chewed gum under the desk.

“Miss Branstone, please do not place your chewed gum under the desks. It’s unsanitary,” Professor Finch, the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, said from the front of the classroom.

“Sorry,” Letty muttered, before putting her gum in the trash bin.

Professor Finch went back to the lesson.

“She must be a Seer or something,” Letty hissed.

“Well, it is gross,” Andromeda repeated.

Letty cast her a dark look and went back to her work.

*

Andromeda hurried down the hallway, eager to get to lunch. She had gotten mixed up in the door you had to compliment and the door that pretended to be a wall every second Tuesday and now she was afraid she had missed lunch.

She jogged across the Entrance Hall, not really watching where she was going. And of course, when you don’t watch where you’re going, you’re bound to run into something.

In this case, she ran right into Phoebus Walnut.

“Watch where you’re going, book worm,” he sneered.

Andromeda frowned. She didn’t even read that much. It must have been some subtle attempted at making fun of her because she wasn’t a Slytherin.

“Hey!” came an icy voice from behind them. “Watch who you’re insulting, Walnut.”

It was Bellatrix.

Phoebus scowled and stalked off, less then eager to get on Bella’s bad side.

“Thanks, Bella,” Andromeda muttered, tucking her hair behind her ears.

Bellatrix led the way to the Great Hall. “No problem. He’s a little sneak anyway. I’ll teach you a hex that will make his fingernails fall off, okay?”

“Sure,” Andromeda said, trying to match her sister’s light tone. “See you, Bella.”

Andromeda headed towards the Ravenclaw table while Bellatrix sauntered to the Slytherin table.

Apparently, Bellatrix had made it known that there would be no messing with the Blacks. As long as Bella was standing up for her and they were on friendly terms once again, Andromeda didn’t mind in the least.

*


“Excellent, Miss Black. Five points for Ravenclaw!”

Andromeda smiled down at her successfully transfigured water goblet, which had previously been Icarus.

“How’d you do that?” Letty asked, waving her wand around wildly.

Several tables in front of them, Jane Fenwick’s hat caught fire. Letty hastened forward to put it out, cursing.

A voice sounded in her ear. “Know-it-all.”

Andromeda turned around in her seat. Phoebus Walnut was leaning forward, smirking.

“Push off,” she muttered.

“I bet you’ve never even lost a point before, have you?” Phoebus sneered.

She glanced around. Professor Dumbledore was preoccupied by Jane’s flaming hat, the flames of which had now spread onto her notes.

“How, exactly, is that a bad thing?”

Be like Bellatrix. It can’t be that hard.

“Well, for starters, it makes you a brown-nosing goody-two-shoes,” Phoebus said in his annoyingly mocking voice.

“I don’t brown-nose!” she protested.

“She’d probably faint if she got a detention,” put in Adya Harper, one of Phoebus’ sneering friends.

“Well, I’ve never been caught doing anything stupid, so I wouldn’t really know,” Andromeda said boldly.

“Well, Black, I’ve got the perfect opportunity for you to prove yourself!” Phoebus adopted a disconcerting smile.

“Steal Pringle’s toupee!” Adya whispered dramatically. “And put it on the suit of armor outside the Great Hall!” She giggled at the prospect.

Apollyon Pringle was the caretaker. It was widely known that the great orange mass atop his head was not real.

Phoebus lifted his eyebrows challengingly.

“Miss Black, Mr Walnut, is there a problem?” Professor Dumbledore asked.

They had, apparently, managed to put poor Jane Fenwick out.

“No, sir. Everything’s fine,” Andromeda said, turning back around in her seat.

“Brown-noser!” Phoebus hissed.

Andromeda scowled.

*


“You’re going to do what?” Letty asked in amazement.

“We,” Andromeda corrected her.

Letty raised an eyebrow. “Come again?”

“Please, Letty?” Andromeda pleaded. “I need to show Phoebus up!”

Letty thought for a moment. Andromeda waited with baited breath. “Do you know how difficult this will be?” she asked. “Pringle’ll catch us for sure.”

Andromeda smiled, happy she didn’t have to complete her task without Letty. “We won’t get caught. Anna’s coming too!”

“So you’ve enlisted poor Anna to help you with your newfound fondness of rule breaking and humiliation as well?” Letty grinned.

“Hey, I’m not fond of rule breaking!” Andromeda protested. “And Anna volunteered to help. She’s managed to learn a Sticking Charm!”

“Okay, fine. But do you think you’re ready to taint your saintly reputation?” Letty asked through a grin.

Andromeda laughed and flicked a gobstone at her.

*


Andromeda, Letty and Anna crept stealthily across the empty Entrance Hall. Llewellyn, Letty’s brother, who got into trouble with the caretaker frequently, had told them that Pringle generally made his rounds around eleven-thirty or do. His office was just off the Entrance Hall.

Alohomora,” Letty whispered, her wand pointed at the lock.

Amazingly enough, they heard the click of the lock and Andromeda opened the door. She had thought Pringle would have some kind of security features on his office.

“We probably shouldn’t go in,” Andromeda said. “He might have some kind of wards.”

Letty nodded and pointed to a round box on Pringle’s desk,

“Levitate it over,” Anna suggested.

Andromeda pointed her wand at the box and levitated it towards them. The box floated over to where the three girls waited on the threshold and fell into Letty’s outstretched arms.

Silently, they peered inside. An old, moldy patch of hair sat at the bottom of the box.

“Must be a spare,” Andromeda giggled.

Quickly, Anna placed a Sticking Charm on the underside of the toupee and stuck it onto the suit of armor next to the doors of the Great Hall while Andromeda levitated the empty box back onto Pringle’s desk.

“C’mon, Pringle’ll be back soon. He shouldn’t be able to see it from here.” Letty ushered them towards the stairs.

Andromeda was grinning broadly. She was sure that she would feel reasonably bad for Pringle the next morning, but she was thrilled by the fact that they had not been caught.

“And why, may I ask, are three second years out of bed?”

Andromeda looked ahead of them to find Professor Green, the Astronomy witch, looking at them with her hands on her hips.

“Oh, we’re really sorry, Professor. But Andromeda couldn’t get to sleep and she figured a glass of warm milk would help her. And I kind of already knew where the kitchens were anyway because my older brother told me,” Letty invented quickly.

Professor Green raised an eyebrow and looked at Anna expectantly.

“Oh…I was… studying in the library and lost track of time... I was just on my way back to Gryffindor Tower,” Anna said lamely.

“Well, I don’t know what you three were up to, but I suppose it couldn’t have been too bad,” Professor Green said.

She sent a discreet, half-smile Andromeda’s way. Since Andromeda excelled in Astronomy, Professor Green considered her one of her best students, and if she indulged in favoritism- which she most certainly did not- Andromeda would probably be one of her favorites.

“So I won’t dock any points. But rules say that I’ve got to do something… You three meet me in my office at seven tomorrow evening for a detention,” Professor Green finished.

Andromeda’s eyes widened in horror.

“Now, ladies, off to bed! Next time I will dock points!”

Professor Green gave them a rather silly look (somewhere between a scowl and a grin), continued down the stairs and strode across the Entrance Hall and out of the castle, thankfully not seeing the faux hair stuck on the suit of armor.


*


The next day Andromeda got up extra early so that she was one of the first ones in the Great Hall.

Phoebus and Adya entered wearing matching scowls.

For detention, Professor Green had gotten them to help her chart the revolving planets, which Andromeda rather enjoyed and didn’t consider as punishment at all.

Apollyon Pringle had tired to remove the toupee and failed. Since he had many others and because the students and staff found it very amusing, the suit of armor in the Entrance Hall continued to have a full head of hair during the rest of Andromeda Black’s stay at Hogwarts.
Our Experiences by Thoth
Author's Notes:
So sorry that this has taken ages. My muse has decided to come back from vacation and I'll be updating more frequently! Scads of love to songbook99 and miss padfoot for help with this chapter:)
Suzanne Twonk was laughing and Andromeda wasn’t listening. She was sitting next to Suzanne at the Ravenclaw table examining her new timetable. Her summer had passed as her summers normally did spending half her time at her house and half her time at their summer home in France (her French was getting remarkably good). It was needless to say that she was elated to be back at school to start her third year.

Just last night at the Sorting ceremony, her youngest sister, Narcissa, had been Sorted into Slytherin, much to the delight of Bellatrix and their parents. Andromeda had listened to her complain for half an hour about how drafty the dungeons were.

“Don’t you think so, Andromeda?”

“Ah- what?” Andromeda shook herself out of her daze. Suzanne spent so much of her time laughing over things that weren’t remotely funny that Andromeda had learnt to tune her out.

She was saved from Suzanne’s explanation when Letty poked her in the shoulder.

“Says here we have Care of Magical Creatures with the Hufflepuffs,” Letty said, pointing it out on her timetable.

Andromeda was very excited for the extra classes she was taking on this year - Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures. Letty was also taking Care of Magical Creatures, but had opted for Muggle Studies as a second course.

“Is Theodore taking it, too?” Andromeda asked, craning her neck to see the Hufflepuff table.

Theodore was not at the Hufflepuff table. Andromeda searched the rest of the Hall and found him at the Gryffindor table, bending over his sister, Anna’s, shoulder. Quite suddenly, Anna hopped up, causing a plate of sausages to crash to the floor and hurried out of the Great Hall. Theodore quickly followed.

“I wonder what that was about?” Andromeda wondered aloud.

“What?” Letty asked, still immersed in her timetable.

“Anna and Theodore… I’m going to go see if everything’s alright… See you in Potions.” Andromeda slung her bad over her shoulder and followed the twins.

She found them by the staircase. Anna was wiping furiously at her eyes with the sleeve of her robe.

“Is everything alright?” Andromeda asked, noting the tears leaking out of Anna’s eyes. She produced a green spotted handkerchief from her pocket and stuffed it into Anna’s hand. She always carried one; it was a habit forced upon her by her Uncle Alphard (“You’ll never know when you’ll need a hanky!”).

Her friend buried her face into the handkerchief and fled up the stairs. Andromeda stared after her, confused.

“What’s wrong with Anna?” she asked Theodore, worried.

“W-we’ve just gotten a letter from Mum,” Theodore explained, trying to keep his voice level, “and Dad’s… been in a car accident.”

Oh, Merlin.

“Oh, Theodore,” Andromeda stammered awkwardly, not knowing what to say. “I-I’m sorry.”

“I’ve got to go get Anna.” He then ran up the stairs after his sister.

Andromeda nodded mutely after him.

*

Andromeda did not know a whole lot about cars. She had never actually been inside one before, but she knew that Muggles drove them, like broomsticks, and that they could go rather fast.

Judging by the fact that neither Anna, Theodore, or even William Hatch (who, Andromeda knew, was a close friend of the Sparrow family) showed up for any classes that day, she realized it meant that the result of the accident could not have been good.

Andromeda walked through the corridors, anxious, to see if she could find Anna or Theodore. If she couldn’t, perhaps she could track down Professor Dumbledore or Professor Sprout to see what had happened.

But before she had found any of the people she was looking for, someone who she had not thought to ask tapped her on the shoulder as she waited for a staircase to finish moving.

It was Thomas O’Connor, Theodore’s friend. He stood there, looking freckly and solemn for a moment. Then, “Andromeda?”

She nodded.

“Um, Anna and Theodore just left,” he said slowly. “Their da’s died.”

Andromeda put her hand over her mouth. “Oh, no.”

Poor Anna and Theodore!

He nodded. “They’re having a funeral on Friday. Theo said that if you can get permission from Professor Flitwick or Dippet, he and Anna’d like you to come.”

Her eyes widened. “To the funeral? Me?”

“I’m going, too. They don’t have a whole lot of family, so they wanted some friends there with them,” Thomas explained.

“Well “ I…” Andromeda began. “Sure. I’ll ask Professor Flitwick straight away.”

Professor Flitwick gave her permission to miss classes for that day and attend the funeral, also expressing his sincerest condolences.

She was going to a Muggle funeral on Friday. As of late, her mother’s voice had stopped intruding into her thoughts, but it could not resist as Andromeda prepared to do something so heathen.

Muggles in mourning! it cried scornfully. The less of them there are, the better off wizard kind will be!

It seemed as if ignoring her family’s values was a choice she was faced with daily. She loved her family very much, and Anna and Theodore wanted her support. But was attending the funeral of a Muggle man whom she didn’t even know just too much?

*

On Friday morning Andromeda got ready and slipped into a black dress Suzanne had lent her, which was just a bit too big.

She bid Letty goodbye and made her way to meet Thomas in Professor Flitwick’s office, where they would then Floo to the Sparrow’s.

Andromeda was nervous. A new, horrifying thought had occurred to her last night. How much did Anna and Theodore’s family know about their world? Did they know about pureblood families? What if, when she arrived, everyone backed away from her as if she were about to attack them, like first year Muggle-borns backed away from Bellatrix?

And her family… Great-great Uncle Herbert was the cause of Muggle funeral; he didn’t attend them! Narcissa’s voice sneered inside her head as she knocked on the door to Flitwick’s office.

“Come in!”

Andromeda entered the office. Both Professor Flitwick and Thomas were in chairs by the fire, holding cups of tea.

“Hello, Miss Black,” Flitwick said gravely, laying down his cup.

“Sorry I’m late,” she apologized, blocking out Narcissa. “I had a bit of a…” What’s a delicate way for putting ‘I had cold feet about coming to my friend’s dad’s funeral because my whole family hates Muggles with an undying passion? “…wardrobe problem.”

“That’s quite alright,” Flitwick squeaked. “Are you ready, Mr O’Connor?”

Thomas nodded.

“Here you are then.” He handed them a pot of Floo powder. “Be sure to offer Miss and Mr Sparrow my condolences.”

Thomas threw a handful of Floo powder into the fire, which sprang up emerald green and stepped into it. He said the address clearly before vanishing.

Andromeda copied him. Soon she was tumbling out of a fireplace into a dusty room. She brushed the soot off her dress and tucked her hair behind her ears in an effort to look presentable. But this effort went unnoticed, as she seemed to be in an attic.

She spotted Anna. Her eyes were very red. All thoughts of Muggles and purebloods were driven from her mind.

“Anna,” she said softly, awkwardly laying a hand on the taller girl’s shoulder. “I’m really sorry about your dad.”

Anna swept her into a hug. “Thanks for coming, Andromeda.” She offered Andromeda back her hanky.

Andromeda shook her head. “Keep it. I’ve got more.”

Anna led Andromeda and Thomas down a flight of stairs (the attic being the only place a Floo connection had been installed) to a room with several rows of seats.

Andromeda sat next to Thomas near the back and Anna went to join her brother and mother in the front row.

It was a very different experience and, and it reminded Andromeda of something Professor Dumbledore had told her during one Transfiguration class after Letty had accidentally turned her leg into a wooden paddle: your experiences help make you what you truly are. A man did most of the talking, mentioning God at frequent intervals. At one point, near the end, a small group of people sang a slow, mournful song that brought Andromeda close to tears.

Soon, it was over, and the coffin was carried out to the long, black car. Andromeda watched as everyone filed out towards the graveyard, many of them teary-eyed.

Why did it matter that most of them were Muggles and she was a pureblood witch? She was so stupid to think that it might. It didn’t matter that she could make sparks shoot out of a piece of wood when somebody that was loved had died. Andromeda shook her head, as if shaking off her ridiculous thoughts, and joined them silently as they left the house.

She met Theodore and his mother on the way out. Mrs Sparrow was a tall, pretty, black woman, who looked remarkably like Anna.

“You must be Andromeda,” she said, rather thickly. “Theodore and Anna have mentioned you in their letters.”

Andromeda nodded. “I’m very sorry about your husband, Mrs Sparrow.”

“Yes, so am I…” Mrs Sparrow said sadly. “It was so good of you to come.”

Andromeda offered her a timid smile. “It was no trouble at all.” And that was the truth.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=45341