When You Smile... by WeasleyizKing
Summary: Voldemort is rising once more, people are disappearing left, right and center, they next death could be anyone And of course, Harry and his friends are in the midst of it all. So Dumbledore asks everyone to move into the Burrow-which is enchanted with charms and jinxes-until further notice. But, can all the protection keep hearts from breaking and secrets from being revealed?
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1194 Read: 1777 Published: 03/31/06 Updated: 03/31/06

1. An Anticipated Arrival by WeasleyizKing

An Anticipated Arrival by WeasleyizKing
Thanks to my betas, Miss sugar Rush Liz and Emily. You guys have really helped me out! Please review! I need feedback!!!!

Disclaimer: I don't own HP or the characters in this story, JKR was the lucky duck who thought them up, not me.(Darn!)


CHAPTER 1- An Anticipated Arrival


Ronald Weasley paced the floor of the Burrow's kitchen, his red hair standing on end as he waited for his best friend, Hermione, to arrive by Floo. He could hardly contain his enthusiasm, but at the same time he wanted to vomit.

Bossy and stubborn as she may be, Ron still couldn’t help but worry that something had gone terribly wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time someone had been kidnapped when using Floo Powder and Hermione was associated with Harry so...

Checking the clock again, he saw that she was running several minutes late.

“MUM! Come quick! Hermione’s not here! Owl Dumbledore! Do something!” he rambled, sounding quite distressed.

Molly Weasley steadily came into view, carrying a large stack of clothes with the Weasley Family Clock balanced on top.

“Ronald, relax!” she said calmly as she tapped the clock with her wand. Almost instantly, another hand, this one with a picture of Hermione, appeared beside Mr. Weasley’s hand on the clock. Both hands were pointing to ‘traveling’.

“See, darling? She's on her way; don't get your wand in a knot. Now, how about you lot fix some tea and biscuits so Hermione can have something to munch on when she emerges amidst our fireplace?”

Ron blushed. He knew he had over-reacted. He moved over to the stove and placed the kettle on a burner. He prodded it with his wand and it filled with tea that immediately began to boil. He pulled out a plate and slid a dozen or so sourdough biscuits onto it.

He was so distracted that he didn’t notice the fireplace change from a pleasant orange to a violent green. After a couple of seconds, a rather bushy head of hair poked out from the grate. She giggled slightly at her friend who was standing near a teakettle that had started whistling and smoking. He obviously didn’t know what to do next.

Hermione brushed herself off and cleared her throat, trying desperately to get Ron’s attention.

The kettle was whistling too loud for him to hear her. She was so excited to see him that she practically flew across the room to his side. “Well, well, well. It seems that Ickle Ronniekiens has forgotten how to make tea.”

Ron jumped and spun around to face her. “Hermione!!” he yelled giving her a hug so big that he picked her up off the floor. He twirled her around and gently set her back down, his arms around her waist the whole time. Blimey, he thought as he looked down at her petite figure. She is so beautiful…wait, I did NOT just think that.

Hermione blushed slightly at the hug Ron had given her, but didn’t say anything. She rested her head on his chest and said, “I’m so glad to see you’re alright. I was so worried that I would get here and everything would be destroyed and there would be a Dark Mark above the house…” she trailed off shuddering.

Ron’s grip tightened around her protectively. “Hermione, it’s okay. I’m here and everybody’s safe. The Death Eaters aren’t going to get any of us…Look out the window; we have a whole team of Aurors out there just to keep us safe.”

Feeling a bit better, Hermione straightened up and they both seemed to notice the position they were in. Quickly springing apart, they blushed and Ron cast around trying to change the subject. “Er, I better get your bags. I’ll be right back.” Ron bounded away, tripping on a stool as he went.

After he turned the corner, another red head burst into the room, laughing hysterically. “H-h-hey Hermione,” Ginny Weasley said, choking back laughter. Hermione blushed again, sitting down to drink some tea.

“You heard everything, didn’t you?” Hermione asked. Ginny nodded and stuffed a biscuit in her mouth to keep from laughing. She swallowed and turned to face her.

“Yeah I did. You two should have seen yourselves. You looked embarrassed because Ron had his arms around your waist and Ron was simply beside himself with excitement because you had your head on his chest.”

Hermione frowned and quickly said, “I didn’t really have a choice as to where I put my head, Ginevra. Considering the fact that your brother is taller than me.”

“Uh-huh, right, ‘Mione,” Ginny said, using Ron’s nickname for her.

“I’m serious! Besides, I don’t laugh at you when you hug Harry.” Ginny blushed at the mention of Harry.

“Why would you want to laugh? It’s just a hug,” Ginny muttered.

“Exactly my point! It’s JUST A HUG!” Hermione shouted triumphantly.

Ginny looked defeated. “Let’s not argue,” she said. Hermione smiled at her friend’s still red face.

“Okay, how about we go upstairs to Ron’s room so I can change my clothes and then we can help your mum get dinner ready,” Hermione suggested.

Ginny jumped to her feet. “Yeah! Let’s do that instead.” Grabbing Hermione’s hand, Ginny pulled Hermione up the stairs to Ron’s room. “You go on and get your stuff.” Ginny said. “I’m not going in there.”

Hermione stuck her tongue out and whispered, “Chicken!” before pushing the door open and stepping into the room.

Ron had set her things on a bed he must have conjured for her to sleep on. He was lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling muttering something that sound an awful lot like, “…can’t believe I was so stupid…was moving way too fast…”

Hermione cleared her throat again and this time he heard her. “Oh! Hello ‘Mione. Your stuff’s over there,” he said pointing to the bed.

“Thanks Ron,” she said.

“It’s no problem,” he replied shrugging.

Hermione grabbed her favorite outfit from her suitcase and held it up to herself to make sure it wasn’t wrinkled. The shirt was a purple tank top with a modest white sweater to go over it and coupled with a comfy pair of slightly tight, faded jeans, she thought it looked pretty. By the looks of his face, so did Ron, but Hermione didn’t say anything about it.

“Well, I’m going to change in Ginny’s Room. Thanks again for bringing my stuff up here.”

Ron shrugged and searched for something clever to say. Finally, he ended up muttering, “Sure.”

Hermione backed out of the room and closed the door. She raced down the hall to Ginny’s Room. Ron flopped back on the bed and smacked his head with his pillow. “Smooth Weasley, real smooth.”


((Been wonderin' where Harry was? Things'll be a LITTLE different when he shows up this time!))

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=48114