The First Battle by nnnancy
Summary: Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny have spent the better part of their sixth year advancing their knowledge of witchcraft and wizardry in the hope of vanquishing Lord Voldemort when the time comes. But now it's time for a break. Can the trio just have fun, or must Harry carry his secret on his back until the Prophecy is satisfied? Will Harry's longing to see Sirius again be fulfilled? Read and See . . . .
Categories: Mystery Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 36942 Read: 48389 Published: 12/06/04 Updated: 01/21/05

1. The Pact by nnnancy

2. Into Hogsmeade by nnnancy

3. The Three Broomsticks by nnnancy

4. The Perfect Gift by nnnancy

5. The Burrow by nnnancy

6. The Hospital Wing by nnnancy

7. Professor Trelawney by nnnancy

8. Secrets by nnnancy

9. The Malfoys by nnnancy

10. Harry and Draco by nnnancy

11. Warning by nnnancy

12. Battleground by nnnancy

13. Lessons by nnnancy

The Pact by nnnancy
THE FIRST BATTLE







Chapter One - The Pact

Harry watched his classmates racing from the castle. They were laughing and chatting together, anxious to be going home for the holidays. The horseless carriages began their trek down the road to Hogsmeade Station, rocking to the rhythm of the unseen thestrals. It seemed the entire student body had left Hogwarts for Christmas this year - except for the three lounging by the cozy fire in the Gryffindor common room: Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Harry loved spending Christmas at Hogwarts; it never even occurred to him to go home - if you could call it a home. Although he had to admit, his brief stay over the summer was not as bad as usual. He was given plenty of freedom, and his immense, piggy cousin, Dudley, had gone to the home of a friend for the summer holidays - very surprising that, as his mum, Harry's Aunt Petunia, coddled and petted him every moment when he was at home. He didn't know how she could bear being away from her "ickle Duddy Darling" for the whole of summer. Harry had noticed her watching him sometimes, and the look on her face was neither one of disgust or disdain. It was something - softer, somehow. Harry supposed she was feeling sorry for him.

That had been a difficult time for Harry, even without the constant pressure from the Dursleys. He had been grieving the loss of his godfather, and blaming himself for his death. Over and over, whenever he closed his eyes, he could see again Sirius' slow, graceful fall through the veil. Harry had tortured himself repeatedly with the thought that, no matter what Dumbledore had said about his godfather's death being his fault, it was he, Harry, that had led Sirius to the Department of Mysteries. And to his death at the hands of Bellatrix. Her cruelly laughing face, too, had visited his nightmares regularly.

It was only after Harry has been removed from the Dursleys to spend the rest of the summer at number 12 Grimmauld Place, that he began to come to terms with his godfather's death. There, he spent many long nights talking with Remus Lupin. He discovered his former professor was also tortured, weighted down under a load of grief equal to Harry's own. As Professor Lupin and Harry spent more time together over the next few weeks, Harry began to see himself in the tormented soul of his friend and mentor. He saw the uselessness of blaming himself for the miseries of the past. Remus and Harry were able to comfort one another on the loss of Sirius Black

His loyal friends, too, gave solace to Harry as they spent time together at number 12. They were diligently continuing their cleaning project from the previous summer, and Harry found that rather than being a burden to be back in his godfather's house, it actually gave his some peace to be putting it to rights. Just the close, familiar, and faithful presence of those who knew him best was a balm to his wounded heart. He began to remember Professor Dumbledore's words about love being Harry's greatest power - and he began also to see, and understand for perhaps the first time, just how much he was loved by others. He wondered if it was this that would save him, when the time came for him to finally face Voldemort on his own; this overwhelming power of which Dumbledore had spoken.

Harry was brought out of his reverie by the slightly perturbed voice of Hermione. "Harry - were you even listening to me?"

"Sorry, Hermione, no." He saw Ron rolling his eyes. "Did I miss something?"

Hermione shook back her bushy brown hair as she set her orange cat, Crookshanks, down next to the comfortably flickering fire. "I said, we should make a pact for the Christmas holidays." She looked over at Harry smugly.

Harry glanced at Ron, who had a look of supreme long-suffering on his face as he sank more deeply into his favorite armchair. "Here we go again," his friend whispered.

Harry grinned. Ordinarily Ron would have said this out loud, but in the past few months Harry has noticed that Ron was at least trying to be less exasperating to Hermione. "What sort of pact did you have in mind, Hermione?" he asked, hoping it had nothing to do with S.P.E.W and not sure if he wanted to hear the answer.

"Well," she said, sitting up a little straighter in the squashy armchair. "I was thinking we should agree to not talk about the War, or our training, or anything having to do with Voldemort - oh, please, Ron - during the holiday break. We've been working so hard, and it seems like it's all we ever talk about. I think we all" - and here she looked pointedly at Harry, “need a break. We should just have fun this Christmas," she finished brightly.

Ron's mouth was agape. "Hermione, are you feeling alright? You want us to just have fun this Christmas?"

"Yes, Ronald, to both questions" she replied cheekily. "What do you think, Harry?"

Harry didn't have to think long on this. Hermione was right; they had been working hard. In addition to the more advanced classes they were taking to begin preparing for their NEWT exams in their seventh term, Harry was also leading the DA again this year - although he was getting more help with it this time. Professor Emmeline Vance, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, was proving an invaluable resource to Harry. Professor Dumbledore had brought her in, wanting a member of the Order of the Phoenix to serve as instructor, and she was brilliant, in Harry's opinion.

Along with their advanced lessons, Harry, Ron and Hermione had been meeting for private lessons with the Headmaster. In his will, Sirus had named Albus Dumbledore Harry's guardian, though few knew this, as no one wanted the headmaster to be accused of "playing favorites." Harry continued to work on his occlumency, and began formal instruction in legilimency, something for which he had shown great aptitude. The others were being instructed in this as well. Hermione and Harry were now progressing at a good pace, but Ron was struggling. Dumbledore thought the Brain attack of the previous year might still be affecting Ron, and Harry was glad someone else thought so. Ron had been acting strangely all year, and had been particularly prone to fits of giggles at the most inopportune times. He didn't always seem to be thinking clearly, either. Harry had walked in on Ron a few times to find him staring into space, looking blankly at nothing. When Harry spoke his name, it seemed to take Ron a few moments to realize he was there. Of course, Harry had also walked in on Ron staring at Hermione with a puzzled look on his face - Harry wasn't so sure this was a result of the Brain attack, though…

"I think your pact is a great idea, ‘Mione," said Harry. "We could do with some fun."

"I definitely agree," came a voice from behind him. "What are we talking about?" They all turned to see vibrant red hair swinging behind an angry-looking Ginny as she stomped into the room, the portrait closing gingerly behind her.

"Ginny!" Ron jumped up from his seat by the fire. "I thought you were on your way to the Thomas's for Christmas! Did you miss the carriages?"

Ginny plopped down hard into the chair next to Hermione, folding her arms across her chest. "No, Ron, I didn't miss the carriage. I'm not going."

"Not going? But Ginny, why?" asked a concerned Hermione. "Did something happen with Dean?"

Ginny let out a long, slow breath. "No, nothing happened with Dean. Something happened with me. I just realized I've been going out with the biggest git in Gryffindor!"

Ron's ears went a brilliant shade of red. "Why?" he blustered. "What'd he do to you? Did he try something fresh in the carriage? Where is he?" He started off towards the portrait hole. Harry snagged the back of his jumper and pulled him back.

Ginny giggled, despite her anger. "Something fresh, Ron? No, nothing like that." Ron breathed a sigh of relief. "Although maybe you should go check on Dean. I think he might have a black eye."

"Ginny!" exclaimed three voices at once.

"Why'd you hit him?" asked Harry. "What did he do?" He had a hard time picturing Ginny taking a swing at someone who wasn't her brother - even though he knew her red hair was an accurate indicator of her fiery temper.

"He told me to quit the Quidditch team," she answered, her ears turning as red as Ron's had just been. "He's been hinting about it all year. He says I'm not spending enough time with him. But when I do spend time with him," she fumed, "all he talks about is homework, or exams, or getting into the ministry. Or Hannah Abbot," she added under her breath. "Anyway, I should've broken up with him ages ago. All we really do is fight, anyway."

Ron looked curiously at Hermione at these words.

"Ginny, I'm sorry," said Harry sincerely. He hated to see her looking so miserable. He had stopped thinking of her as just his best mate's little sister a long time ago. She had proven herself a true friend last term, when Harry almost left Grimmauld Place and all that he loved. He had been afraid of allowing Voldemort access to his friends through him. It was Ginny who had insisted he talk to her, who reassured him he had not been possessed by the Dark Lord by sharing with him her own horrible experience of it. And she had proven herself a mature and capable young woman, as well as a commanding witch, during the battle at the Department of Mysteries last year.

She met his eyes. "Thank you, Harry," she smiled sadly. "Anyway, what's this pact you were talking about when I came in?"

Hermione explained her pact, and Ginny agreed that it was a lovely idea. "Are you sure you don't mind me joining you?" she asked. "It looks like I'll be stuck here through the break, with Mum and Dad off on assignment for the Order."

"‘Course you'll join us!" said Harry emphatically. "You're one of us, you know."

"Yeah," Ron agreed. "Just like the four Marauders!"

Harry thought fondly of Moony, Padfoot, and Prongs - and uneasily about Wormtail. No one else seemed to notice the furrow that flitted briefly on his brow.

Hermione stood. "Alright then, everyone stand up and join hands." Ron and Harry glanced nervously at each other, before reaching out and joining hands. Ron gulped and gingerly took Hermione's. Ginny slipped hers into Harry's. He was amazed at its softness and warmth. She gave him a slight smile.

"Repeat after me: We do solemnly swear…"

Dutifully they repeated, "we do solemnly swear…"

"To make no mention of the War…"

"To make no mention of the War…" Ron began to giggle.

"Or to fret about exams…"

"Or to fret about exams…"

"Or to do anything but have fun and just be kids this Christmas break."

The others repeated Hermione's words, Ron giggling madly all the while. His laughter was infectious, and they all began to giggle along with him. In no time they were laughing uproariously, and had all collapsed on top of each other, with Crookshanks sniffing disapprovingly by the fire.
Into Hogsmeade by nnnancy
Chapter two - Into Hogsmeade

The next morning dawned bright and clear. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny sauntered down to breakfast after they enjoyed a long lie in. It was Christmas Eve, after all. They did indeed appear to be the only students who had stayed at Hogwarts, as the only others in the Great Hall were adults - the teachers and staff that had stayed, as well as several members of the Order. They had obviously not had a lie in; most of them were finishing up their breakfasts and beginning to head out of the hall. Harry was pleased to see that Professor Lupin was there, looking better than he had in a while. His clothes were still shabby, but they were warm, and he looked well fed. Harry saw him frequently around Hogwarts, for although he was no longer teaching, he was assisting Dumbledore with some administrative duties, and was often on the grounds. He saw Harry and waved from the teacher’s table. Harry smiled and waved back. Harry noticed that Snape had stayed on as well.

“Why is he here?” Harry asked, keeping his voice low. “I thought he was off playing spy.” Snape had missed his last few classes before Christmas.

“Dunno,” Ron replied, the only word he was able to get out between mouthfuls.

“I heard he was ill,” Ginny offered, as she helped herself to an amazing amount of kippers and eggs for a person of her size.

Hermione frowned at them all. “Now, now, none of this,” she exclaimed. “We made a pact, remember? Professor Dumbledore!” she called, as the headmaster (wearing a purple dressing gown and nightcap with misty planets slowly orbiting their suns), moved, smiling, towards their little group at one end of the long Gryffindor table.

“Good morning, my dears!” He sat and helped himself to a piece of toast that Harry had just spread with marmalade. “Or should I wish you good afternoon?” He bit into Harry’s toast, and put it back on his plate. “What are my young Gryffindors up to today?”

“Professor,” Hermione began, “we were wondering if the four of us could go into Hogsmeade today, to go Christmas shopping.”

The others hadn’t been wondering anything of the sort, but now that it was said, it seemed the best plan in the world. They all chimed in, begging and pleading and promising. Dumbledore laughed, and motioned for Tonks, Moody, and Lupin to join him.

“I believe, Miss Tonks, that you had been hoping for a trip into Hogsmeade,” the headmaster smiled down at her. “Would you be willing to accompany these four into the village?”

Before she could answer, Moody spoke up. “I’d nix that if I were you, Dumbledore” he growled. “Bad idea. This boy” - he jabbed a finger towards Harry - “needs to be kept under wraps.”

“Oh, but Professor,” Harry interjected quickly. “I’d be safe in Hogsmeade with Tonks and Ron and everybody, and I don’t think Voldemort - oh, sorry, Professor Moody - anyway, I don’t think he’s anywhere near here. My scar hasn’t hurt in ages, and I can always feel when he’s near."

This was true. Most surprisingly, Harry hadn’t felt so much as a prickle in his scar since the encounter in the Ministry of Magic last term. He had wondered about this, but truthfully, he was so grateful for the relief that he had never asked Dumbledore why this should be.

“I’d be happy to accompany Harry as well, Headmaster,” said Remus Lupin, giving Harry a wink. “I think we’d be safe with a quick trip to the village. Besides,” he told Moody, who was glaring dangerously at him with his magical eye, “I haven’t bought your Christmas present yet, Alastor.”

“Hrrmph,” said the gravelly voice. “S’pose I’ll have to go along, too, if you’re all determined to go gallivanting around the countryside.”

Dumbledore looked delighted. “Excellent!” he cried. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny exchanged pleased looks. Harry knew that his guardian cared more for his safety than Professor Moody could ever guess, as did Remus. But he also knew that they wanted him to be happy, to have as normal a life as possible under the circumstances. “Well, what are you waiting for? Go get your cloaks!” Dumbledore clapped his hands together for effect.

“But I ‘aven’t finished my breakfast” complained Ron, his mouth full.

Ten minutes later, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were jauntily walking the sparkling, sunlit path towards Hogsmeade, accompanied by their magical escort. The new fallen snow had left the trees lining the path heavy with glistening frost, as if Father Christmas had painted them himself just for their pleasure. Hermione and Ginny were walking a little way ahead with Tonks, their heads close together in conversation, oblivious to this glorious Christmas Eve morning. Harry and Ron were engaged in a conversation about the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Ron thought their chances for the house cup were excellent again this year. Harry agreed, naturally, although he didn’t feel he had been playing his best lately. It seemed to be taking him longer to catch the snitch than it used to.

“You’re crazy, mate!” said Ron emphatically. “You’re as good as you ever were - better, in fact. If we could all fly like you, they’d send us to the bloody World Cup! We’ve just finally got some decent competition, is all. All the house teams have good seekers this year, even....” His voice trailed off. Harry looked up to find him staring at the back of Hermione’s head in front of them.

“Ron?”

“Harry, Hermione’s a girl, y’know?” Ron sounded confused.

Harry ducked a smile. “Yeah, I know that, Ron.”

“Well... do you ever think about girls, Harry?”

Harry couldn’t hide his smile this time. “Only all the time, Mate.”

Ron continued to stare. “What do you think of them?” he asked slowly.

“I think they’re ... brilliant. And exasperating,” he added, thinking of Cho.

“Yeah,” agreed Ron. “Me too.”

No further intelligible conversation came out of Ron for the remainder of the walk into Hogsmeade.

As they all rounded the path and the village came into view, Moody stopped them. “Now remember,” he cautioned them. “Coming here was as foolish an idea as I’ve ever heard, but as long as we’re here...”

“CONSTANT VIGILANCE!” shouted the little group. Even Professor Moody cracked a small smile.

“All right then,” he softened slightly. “Where to first?”

“Zonkos!” Tonks’ voice rose above the others. “I promised Kingsley I’d pick something up for him.” Tonks was resplendent today in bright green hair and red eyes (“Christmas colors” she had told Ginny). The group of students and professors moved off down the street. They had taken only a few steps when they heard a familiar voice behind them.

“HEY,” boomed the voice. “Wait up a bit, can’ ye!” Hagrid lumbered down the walk towards them, carrying a red leather purse on his arm. “Dumledore tol’ me where ye went. Thought I’d do a bit o’ me Christmas shoppin’ with ye.”

Moody glared. “Oh, by all means join us, Hagrid,” he glared at the giant man. “I’m sure we’ll be quite inconspicuous.”

“Thank ye, Professor! Knew ye wouldn’t mind,” said Hagrid happily. “Need to get a gift for Olympe,” he whispered conspiratorially.

“Professor Moody,” piped up Hermione. “Perhaps we should separate for a while. We’ll draw less attention to ourselves in small groups, don’t you think?”. Harry thought she was drawing plenty of attention to herself, as she was blushing quite as red as Ron ever did. Ginny seemed to be quite amused by this also, and she and Harry exchanged furtive smiles.

“Mm,” grunted Moody, which they took to be an assent. Tonks, Hermione and Ginny headed in the direction of Zonko’s, once again giggling and talking together. Hagrid accompanied them. Ron stared after them, shaking his head.

“How can they think of so much to talk about?” he asked no one in particular.

Professor Lupin put a friendly arm around Ron. “Their brains work differently, Ron. Girls tend to think with their hearts rather than their heads. Makes them a little toooo...” he searched for the right word. “Intuitive for their own good. They know things we don’t.”

“Blimey,” whispered Ron. “We don’t stand a chance.”

Harry’s thoughts echoed Ron’s words exactly.

PLEASE NOTE: This story will be moving to the Romance section (R/H & H/G). I hope you have enjoyed it, and will continue to read future chapters there. Thank You!
The Three Broomsticks by nnnancy
Chapter Three “ The Three Broomsticks

As they watched the girls and Hagrid move down the street towards Zonko’s Joke Shop, Harry and Ron were surprised to see Professor Moody stumping away behind them. “Well,” he growled, “ya comin’?” They hurried after him, exchanging curious glances, with Professor Lupin bringing up the rear. Their curiosity was satisfied when he crossed the street and headed toward the Three Broomsticks. He held open the door for them, wearing the nearest thing to a smile they’d seen on him in recent weeks. “My treat, gentlemen. Happy Christmas.”

This was so unlike Moody that Harry stopped dead in his tracks and turned to stare at the grizzled Professor. It wasn’t that long ago that Harry came under the tutelage of another Professor Moody, who turned out to be a very dangerous imposter. Lupin must have read his thoughts, for he stepped quickly behind Harry and put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

“It’s all right, Harry,” smiled Remus. “You’re meant to be here.”

Harry stepped warily through the door, and Professor Lupin directed him to the stairs. The two boys, with their two escorts, proceeded up to the second floor and through the door that Professor Moody indicated. Harry quickly took in the roaring fire, the candles burning on the walls, the smoky lanterns hanging from the ceiling, and something else - and at once Harry understood the reason for the ever-watchful professor’s seeming ease.

“Harry!” called out two identical, cheery voices.

“Fred! George!” Harry exclaimed. The twins were dashing in their matching dragonhide jackets. He looked over at Ron, whose face had broken into an ear-to-ear grin. “Did you know they’d be here?”

Ron laughed as he answered, clearly pleased to see his twin brothers, “no, I thought…”

But Harry never found out what Ron thought, as the twins pulled both boys into a suffocating bear hug. “Icke Ronnie!” said Fred. “You’re almost as tall as us, isn’t he, George?”

“Tall as, but not nearly as good-looking,” replied George. “Come and sit down, we’ve got loads of food!”

Ron looked hesitantly at the heavily laden table, laid with a clean white cloth and enough food for a small army. “No Puking Pastilles, I hope.”

George looked wounded. “How could you say such a thing, little brother? I am cut to the heart.” He laid his hand on his chest mournfully. “I only save those for paying customers!”

“I can say it because you ‘accidentally’ gave me one last summer and left me puking my guts out!” Ron fumed; but Harry could tell he wasn’t seriously upset.

A sharp cr-r-rack alerted the group to the arrival of Arthur Weasley, followed almost immediately by the appearance of Bill and Charlie. They, too, enfolded Harry and Ron in bone-crushing hugs. Mr. Weasley took a step back and held Ron at arm’s length. “Good gracious, Ron, I believe you’re as tall as I am!” exclaimed his father. “Harry, good to see you!” Mr. Weasley looked a little thinner than Harry remembered, and pale in the light from the fire. He was sure it was a difficult time for him to be in the Ministry, and that he must be worried about his children’s activity in all this. “How’ve you been, Harry?” he asked congenially as he ruffled Ron’s hair, much to Ron’s embarrassment.


Harry grinned. Although Ron often felt embarrassed by his family, Harry thought they were perfect. Even though they were known for their squabbles, it was obvious that the Weasley brothers loved each other fiercely. To Harry, who only had Duddley Dursley for companionship while growing up, having all those brothers to look out for you seemed wonderful.

As Moody and Lupin took seats around the groaning table, more loud cracks announced the arrival of other members of the Order of the Phoenix. Mundungus Fletcher was there, and immediately pulled a smoking, smelly old pipe from the pocket of his oft-patched jacket. Kingsley Shacklebolt, golden earring gleaming in the firelight, slid into the seat beside Professor Moody. Old Elphias Doge was wrapped heavily into a tweed wool traveling cloak, and he too took a seat at the table. There were others, too, whom Harry had never seen before. He supposed they were new recruits into the Order. Harry and Ron quickly squeezed in beside Fred and George. “This looks like a meeting,” said Harry, eyeing all the assembled members.

“Indeed it is, my observant ward.” Albus Dumbledore had apparated with hardly a sound. “But there’s no reason a meeting can’t be a festive occasion as well.” Dumbledore greeted the wizards (and one witch). "Tuck in!” he said cheerily. He slid smoothly into the last seat beside Harry as the assembled crowd began to load their plates.

As they all began to eat, Harry couldn’t help noticing that although the talk was jovial and punctuated with much laughter, every person at the long wooden table kept one eye on Dumbledore. Even Ron, who looked to be in utter delight at the tempting platters and dishes set before him, kept sneaking looks at the headmaster between mouthfuls. And at Harry. Finally Harry asked him in a low voice, “alright. What do you know that I don’t, Ron?”

“What?” he choked out, swallowing an enormous bit of sausage. “What are you talking about, Harry?”

“What do you know about this meeting? And why d’you keep staring at me?” Harry was starting to get nervous.

Ron swallowed again, and answered in a whisper. “I don’t know anything, Mate, but with all these people from the Order here, and you here, and Hermione not here… it just makes me think they’ve learned something about You-Know-Who…. And it’s probably not good.”

Harry was about to answer back when he realized that Dumbledore had fixed his clear blue eyes on him. Harry cleared his throat. “Sir,” he said, again in a low voice, “Why are we all here?”

“Harry, do you trust me?” the headmaster asked simply.

“Of course, Professor,” Harry answered immediately. He would trust Albus Dumbledore with his life.

His guardian smiled, his eyes sparkling brightly. “Thank you, Harry. And now,” he raised his voice slightly and rose to address the table. “I want to thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to join us here today. Harry, I would like to introduce you to a few members of the Order whom you have not yet had the pleasure of meeting. This,” he gestured to a young, light-haired wizard in a dusty cloak, “is Charlemagne Puffle, a gifted animagus.” (Ron snorted, but managed not to laugh out loud. “Charlemagne!”, he sniggered.) The young man smiled at Harry and offered a small wave. Harry waved back. “Next to him is Robert Norell, another Auror who works with Kingsley in the Ministry of Magic, and here next to Alastor is Madame Anne Newcastle, a friend of Professor Trelawney’s. Gentlemen and Lady, may I present Mr. Harry Potter, and his good friend Mr. Ronald Weasley.” (At the mention of Ron’s name, Mr. Puffle sniggered as well.)

Harry nodded at the newcomers as Ron murmured, “ ‘lo.”

“ I’ve asked you all to be here today to discuss our next step in the War against the Dark forces. As you all know, Lord Voldemort’s camp has been unusually quiet since their defeat at the Ministry of Magic. The Order has grown tremendously in that time, and I am quite sure that the Dark Lord’s ranks have swelled as well. I am very pleased, however, with the numbers we have managed to persuade to join our side. Voldemort’s silence does not mean he is inactive. Many of our number have been involved in the past several months in gathering intelligence, at great personal risk. We now believe that the time is imminent to see the captured Death Eaters soon released from Azkaban, as their Dementor guards departed from there some time ago. We believe that Voldemort and his followers are preparing to act.

“Some in the magical community have grown less vigilant over the past few weeks.” Moody snorted. “It is our desire to convince the Dark Lord that we, too, have become lax in our preparations. We need to draw the Death Eaters, and their Master, out of hiding. We need to offer them what they want, to ‘force their hand’, so to speak.”

Suddenly Harry knew why he was there “ he was bait. Dumbledore seemed to know what he was thinking. He turned to Harry. “Harry, we know what Lord Voldemort wants most of all is you. Are you willing to help us with this?”

Remus Lupin caught Harry’s eye. “It’s alright, Harry. You can say no, and no one will think the less of you for it, he said softly. Harry glanced at Ron, who had gone white. He shook his head slightly at Harry.

Harry looked back up at Dumbledore. “I’ll do anything you tell me to,” he said. There was a murmur of approval from those assembled, and a sharp intake of breath from Ron beside him. “I’m not doing this to be brave or anything,” Harry told them all. “I feel like I’ve been a sitting duck all year, waiting for Voldemort to make his move. I’m tired of waiting.” He didn’t know how many in the Order knew the Prophecy in its entirety. Harry had not even yet told Ron and Hermione that he must be, in the end, either victim or killer. But it was true; he was tired of waiting.

Dumbledore spoke again. “I was sure that would be your answer, Harry.” Pride shone on the headmaster’s face. “We will begin immediately. As you are here to do your Christmas shopping, I would like you to continue that activity. There are over 100 members of the Order here in Hogsmeade, most in disguise, to assure your safety. You will never be out of our sight. Make yourself visible, but do not behave carelessly. Since Professor Moody and Professor Lupin accompanied you into town, they will continue to be your escort, along with your friend Mr. Weasley.” Here he gave Ron a very stern look. “Do not let Harry out of your sight, Ron. You are the one closest to him; you will likely be the one to first notice if something seems amiss. Trust your instincts.”

“Yes, Sir,” Ron warbled, his voice sounding like a wheel badly in need of grease.

“Again, I thank you all for being here today. Let us use our time wisely. We can be sure that as we have spies, so does the Dark Lord. Tread carefully,” finished Dumbledore.

The group around the table began to get up, one by one. Lupin walked over and laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “I’m not entirely comfortable with this, Harry, but like you, I trust the headmaster. I want you to know I’ll never take my eyes off you. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Harry felt a lump in his throat, and he swallowed it away. He had come to regard this man, with secrets as painful as Harry’s own, as much more than just a teacher. He looked up to him almost as a father. “Thanks, Remus,” he replied gratefully. “I know.”

“Harry,” Dumbledore stood near enough that only Harry and Ron could hear him. “I’m sure you noticed that Miss Granger was not with us for this meeting. I know it will be difficult, but I would like you not to tell her what we discussed here. She does tend to fret over you, and I need her to keep her mind clear. She is currently working on a special project for me, and I need her to remain undistracted from it.”

“Yes, Sir,” replied Harry. Special project? he thought. What special project?

“And you, Ron? Can you keep a secret from our Miss Granger?” Harry thought the headmaster had a particularly amused glint in his eyes.

Ron sighed. “Yes, Sir,” he answered. “But it won’t be easy.”

“No,” chuckled Dumbledore. “I expect it won’t.”

Arthur Weasley came up behind Harry and Ron as Dumbledore bid them goodbye. “Harry, I’m very proud of you. Knew you’d do it,” he said, as he wrung Harry’s hand. "Ron, must dash, but I’ll see you tonight at Hogwarts for Christmas Eve supper. Have a surprise for you all!” He pulled his youngest son to him in a fatherly embrace, and ruffled his hair again. Grasping him firmly by the shoulders, he looked him straight in the eye and said, “Be careful! If anything happened to you….” His voice trailed off.

“Da-a-d!” Ron hissed, turning red. “I’ll be fine. What could happen to me with 100 members of the Order around?”

“Yes…. Yes, I’m sure you’ll be fine.” Mr. Weasley smiled at Ron, but it was a worried smile. “Well “ see you tonight, then.” And with a crack, he disapparated.

“Alright then, Harry?” Moody held Ron and Harry’s cloaks. “Let’s go spend some gold.”


Any words of wisdom, critique's, etc., would be most welcome! Thanks, and Happy Christmas!

PLEASE NOTE: This story will be moving to the Romance section (R/H & H/G). I hope you have enjoyed it, and will continue to read future chapters there. Thank You!
The Perfect Gift by nnnancy
Chapter Four “ The Perfect Gift

Back on the chilly street in the village, Harry felt “ not lighthearted, but “ at ease. In spite of Hermione’s pact, it was difficult for Harry to not think about Voldemort; it’s hard to keep someone whom you know wants to kill you off your mind. But now he was doing something, and that felt much better than being cooped up in the castle not doing anything. He noticed the cheery greenery and sparkling fairy lights in the shop windows, the enchanted wreaths hanging on the shop doors merrily singing Christmas carols, and suddenly realized he was quite in the holiday spirit. He looked over at Ron, walking warily beside him, and punched him in the shoulder. “Come on, Ron; it’s not that bad.”

Ron rubbed his shoulder and gave Harry a feeble grin. “I’m fine. Just … just had too much to eat.”

Harry thought this unlikely, as Ron could eat a small bull elephant in one sitting given the chance. He thought he knew what might take Ron’s mind off the fact that they were walking bait. “Let’s go into Finnegan’s Finery,” he suggested to Ron. “Maybe we can find something Hermione would like.”

Ron brightened at this, and so they, and their two escorts, turned into the shop. Harry had heard of this place, but had never been inside. Mostly he’d heard about it from the girls talking in the corridors at school, showing off their latest baubles and trinkets and bits of lace. Moody groaned as the door closed behind them. “Trapped,” he growled, his magical eye spinning. “Trapped in a monument to feminine indulgence.” Lupin just laughed, and moved forward to help Harry and Ron with their shopping.

“Looking for anything special, boys?” he asked with a grin. Ron had turned a most spectacular shade of pink “ in fact, he quite matched the silk in the display case in the window.

“Just looking,” he whispered. Harry laughed and pushed him forward, towards some delicate, dancing butterflies.

“What about something like this, Ron?” he suggested.

Ron looked puzzled. “What are they?” he asked.

A little old witch stepped up to answer his question. “They’re hair ornaments, dear. See? A young lady fastens one into her hair” - here she placed a flittering butterfly onto her own silver locks “ “and it flutters about. The girls all love them- believe me. What color is your girlfriend’s hair?”

Professor Lupin and Harry fell together in soundless laughter at the look on Ron’s face, shaking in silent mirth. Even Moody had to brace himself against the wall as they listened to Ron sputter.

“Well, she’s not really my …I mean, she’s sort of… but I haven’t asked her or anything… I don’t… Blimey!” he finished. “Brown!”

“All right, you three can lay off now,” Ron mumbled a few minutes later, as they all left the glittering little shop. “I guess my secret’s not a secret anymore.”

“I’ve got news for you, mate. It never was,” Harry said, wiping his eyes.

Ron looked horrified. “What? He squeaked. “What d’you mean?”

“Oh, come now, Ron.” Professor Lupin spoke up from beside them. “Anyone with eyes can see that you are quite infatuated with Hermione. I could tell it three years ago, when I was your instructor. I really would have thought you’d have made mention of it to her by now.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” Ron looked lost. “You’re not…infatuated with the most brilliant witch at Hogwarts. I can never think of a way to talk her that sounds smart enough, or clever enough, or….”

“She doesn’t want someone smart or clever,” Moody broke in. “She wants you.”

“What?” Ron whirled on the grey-haired professor. “How do you know that?”

“Oh, I get around a fair bit,” he answered slyly. “But don’t take my word for it. Ask her.”

Down the street came Hermione, Ginny, and Tonks, who was wearing what looked like a Christmas tree on her head. “Wotcher, Harry,” she called. As she drew nearer they saw that she had merely piled her green hair into a realistic tree-shape on her head. All three were loaded down with packages.

“Where have you four been?” asked Hermione, her cheeks bright from the cold. “And whatever is the matter with you, Ron?”

Ron looked dangerously at Harry. “Nothing,” he said. “That’s a lot of shopping, Hermione. Can I …can I carry something for you?”

Hermione gave Ron a quizzical look, but only said, “... Yes … Thank you, Ron.”

“What happened to Hagrid?” asked Harry, determinedly not looking at Ron.

Ginny, pink-cheeked as well, answered, “Oh, he’s being daft. He wanted to buy Madame Maxime a present for Christmas, and got it into his head that she’d like a knarl. We tried to talk him out of it, but he insisted. I don’t think she’ll care for it much, once it gets into her garden.”

“A knarl?” asked Harry. “What’s a knarl?”

“It’s a furry little animal, looks like a hedgehog,” said Ron from behind Hermione’s shopping. “But if it gets mad at you, look out. It can completely destroy a garden in five minutes flat.”

“Anyway,” continued Ginny, “Hagrid said to tell you that he had to take it back to his house to get it out of the cold. Speaking of which,” she shivered, “does anyone want to go get something hot to drink?”

Harry would have liked this, but he hadn’t finished all his shopping. “I still have a few things left to pick up. Can I meet you in a little while?”

“I’ll come with you, Harry. Why don’t the rest of you go into Madame Puddifoot’s tea shop for something warm, and we’ll meet you there shortly.” Lupin gave Ron the smallest of winks as he said this.

“Right “ okay!” exclaimed Ron. “After you, Hermione.”

Hermione was looking at Ron as though he had two heads. She and the others moved on down the street. Moody gave Remus a daunting glare with his magical eye, and followed them. Harry watched them go, Ginny’s brilliant red hair flying out behind her as she ran ahead of the others, seeking the warmth of the tearoom. The sight mesmerized Harry. He suddenly thought how beautiful a dancing butterfly would look in her hair.

After Remus and Harry had stopped in at Scrivenshaft’s (new quills and a selection of magical inks for Hermione) and Dervish and Bangs (a broomstick servicing kit and Quidditch poster for Ron), Harry hesitantly asked Professor Lupin if they could go back to Finnegan’s Finery. Remus looked at Harry with a quizzically furrowed brow.

“Hoping to find something for your hair?” he inquired.

It was Harry’s turn to blush now. “Not exactly,” he confessed. “I’d like to get something for …well, for Ginny.” Silently Harry breathed a fervent apology to Ron for teasing him about Hermione.

“Ahaaa,” said Lupin, suddenly understanding. “Must be something in the air this Christmas, eh? Come on, let’s go. Then we’d better go and meet the others.”

Madame Puddifoot’s was warm and inviting, not being ridiculously decorated for Valentine’s day. Harry couldn’t help but remember his last disastrous visit here with Cho. He hadn’t spoken to her much this year, except as her instructor for the DA, which she continued to attend “ much to Harry’s surprise. He found he really didn’t think about her much, and it appeared that she was happier these days than she had been with him.

Professor Lupin and Harry had just sat down and ordered coffee when Harry’s eye was drawn to the window that looked into the back alley behind the teashop. There behind the gauzy lace curtains, deeply hooded and moving quickly in the shadows, was a slight figure Harry was sure he recognized. “Professor Moody!” he hissed.

“I see him, Harry,” Moody replied in a low voice. “Keep your voice down, and don’t draw attention to yourself. I’ll follow him.”

“I’ll come with you,” Ron bravely volunteered.

“You’ll do no such thing. Stay here with Harry and the others. Tonks,” he said. She nodded. She pulled her cloak around her, screwed up her face, and rose from her seat as a pale, white-blond, middle aged male. She disappeared out the door. “Remus,” Moody looked at Lupin as he drew his cloak around him.

“I know what to do, Alastor. Be careful.”

Professor Moody went to the door, tapped himself on the head with his wand, and disappeared “ although Harry could just make out his outline moving quickly into the street, and knew he had preformed a disillusionment charm.

All the students started talking at once. “Quiet,” Lupin reminded them. “Act casual.” He demonstrated by sitting back and sipping his coffee. He then began playing with the sugar bowl, stirring its contents first counterclockwise, then clockwise, then back again. Harry knew the professor was not one for nervous habits, and it occurred to him that it must be some kind of signal.

Two couples immediately got up and left Madame Puddifoot’s, and Harry was sure he was right. He closed his eyes and concentrated on the figure he had just seen “ he was sure he had seen it before. He could almost place that sneaking gait, the narrow build, the twitchy, feral movements….

“Malfoy!” Harry hissed between his teeth. “Remus, that was Draco Malfoy under that hood! I’m sure of it!”

Professor Lupin stared at Harry for a moment. “I believe you, Harry,” he said quietly. “But we’ll have to let Alastor deal with whatever he finds.”

Hermione and Ginny sat, with mouths open, staring from Harry, to Ron, to Lupin, and back to Harry again. Hermione’s mouth snapped closed and her eyes narrowed. “Is someone going to tell us what’s going on?” she asked in a low voice, as she shakily added more sugar to her rapidly cooling tea.

“Unfortunately, no, Miss Granger,” answered Professor Lupin smoothly, as Ron and Harry both reached for the sugar bowl, avoiding Hermione’s gaze. “I’m sure Professor Moody is just taking precautions. I expect he’ll be back shortly. More tea?”

Lupin’s cool demeanor didn’t fool Hermione. Harry chanced a look at her and found her brow furrowed, and knew she would soon figure out that the whole purpose of today’s trip into Hogsmeade was to get him out in the open, to draw the Death Eaters’ fire. And now it looked as if perhaps they had. Harry knew that Draco Malfoy hated him, had always hated him, and never more so than after learning that Harry had exposed his father as one of Lord Voldemort’s followers, and landed him in the wizard’s prison “ although if Dumbledore was correct, Lucius Malfoy would be joining his son any day now.

All heads looked up when the bell above Madame Puddifoot’s front door jangled cheerily. The witch Harry had met in the Three Broomsticks appeared in the doorway, and beckoned the others to follow her. They all rose. “Wands at the ready, all of you,” Lupin whispered, “but keep them concealed.”

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny did as instructed and followed Professor Lupin and the witch out in the cold air. The streets seemed to crackle with energy as the small group walked back up past the shops they had so recently visited. The witch (Madame Newcastle, Harry remembered) led them into the post office, and took them right into the back room, where at least 300 owls sat waiting impatiently for something to deliver. In the center of the owl room waited Albus Dumbledore with Professor Moody.

“Got ‘im” growled Moody. “Followed the kid to the Hogshead. Turned out to be young Malfoy. Seems he was delivering a message to someone. We apprehended a fella in the back room after the kid left. This,” Moody held out a smoky glass sphere lit from within, “is what Malfoy delivered.”

“A Prophecy!” said Hermione.

“Perhaps,” said Dumbledore. “Or perhaps something else.”

“Who did you catch, Professor?” asked Ron. “Was it Mr. Malfoy?”

Dumbledore sighed. “No, Ron, it was someone with whom we are not familiar. Even Alastor here has never seen him before. We have taken him to the castle and secured him there under heavy guard. This object, however,” the headmaster went on, “appears be something of value to the Dark Side. The man we captured put up quite a fight to keep it from being taken. Harry, I wonder if you would mind holding this?”

Harry hesitated. The last time he had held a Prophecy in his hand was the night that Sirius had died.

“It’s all right, Harry,” Professor Dumbledore said softly, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Harry reached out and took the glowing orb from Professor Moody. It was cool and smooth.

“Does it feel warm at all to you, Harry?” asked Dumbledore.

“No, Sir,” Harry replied.

“Hmmm,” said Dumbledore thoughtfully, exchanging glances with Moody. “I do not think this is a Prophecy, though what it is, I cannot say. Well,” He looked around at the group. “I daresay we have kept you from your planned activities today. I think it best if we all retire to the castle. Remus, Alastor, if you will escort these young people.… I think the tunnel through Honeyduke’s cellar might be the best way back to Hogwarts.

Hermione looked like she had a million questions for Dumbledore, and was rather insulted at not being allowed to ask them. Harry was somewhat disgruntled as well; he would have liked more information on the man that was caught, and on that glass ball that looked so much like a Prophecy, but wasn’t.

The walk back to Hogwarts through the tunnel was uneventful, and the teachers left their charges in the third floor corridor and headed off towards the stairs, muttering to each other. The Gryffindors trudged upstairs to their common room. Hermione managed to contain her questions until they had all found chairs by the fire. “Now, what…?”

Ron cut her off. “Look Hermione,” he said as gently as he could, “we can’t tell you, so don’t ask.”

“We’re really sorry, Hermione,” added Harry. “It’s really nothing for you girls to worry about, though.” Harry knew at once he’d said the wrong thing.

“‘You girls’?”spat Ginny. “What are we, some simpering, helpless females? I thought we went over this before Harry, before the battle at the Ministry. You know we’re just as tough as you are.” Fire loomed in Ginny’s eyes. But somehow Harry knew that she wasn’t really mad at him. She was just worried, that’s all.

“Look,” said Harry, “as much as we all might like to make a pact and make Voldemort just go away, we all know that’s not going to happen. There’s something you should all know.” Harry had been searching all year for the right time to tell his friends about the contents of the Prophecy regarding Voldemort and himself. But afraid of worrying them, he had kept quiet. But now, for their own safety … If Dumbledore was inviting the Death Eaters and their master right into Hogsmeade, his friends should know what to expect. Honoring Dumbledore’s request not to tell Hermione about the meeting earlier in the Three Broomsticks, Harry at last shared with Ron, Hermione and Ginny that whole of the Prophecy.

“…And so in the end, it looks like it’s either him or me,” finished Harry. “One of us must die at the hands of the other.” Harry looked up at their wide eyes and pale faces. Hermione had her hands over her mouth, trying not to cry. Silent tears were running down Ginny’s cheeks. Ron’s ears were scarlet, his breathing ragged.

Hermione shuddered. “I should have known,” she whispered. “I thought you were the weapon Dumbledore talked about, but I didn’t realize …oh, Harry!

Harry smiled a wan smile. “I’m sorry about your pact, ‘Mione. I was hoping things would stay quiet over Christmas.”

The portrait hole swung open, and Remus Lupin clamored through. “I thought you’d be here,” he said with a smile. He joined the four of them in front of the fire, and took in their pale faces and red eyes. “Is everything alright?” he asked with concern. The others looked at Harry.

“I told them about the Prophecy, Remus. About the ending,” he added.

“Ahhh,” breathed the Professor. “I understand. It’s a little daunting, right at first, isn’t it?”

“You can say that again,” Ron answered for all of them.

“I can’t believe Professor Dumbledore allowed Harry to leave the castle today,” declared Hermione, her brown eyes flashing. “What if Voldemort had come? Harry’s not ready for a… a… a showdown yet! He could have been killed!”

“Wait a minute,” Harry interrupted. “I think I can decide for myself when I’m ready to face Voldemort, thank you. I’ve been sitting around Hogwarts all year, waiting for something to happen. The longer I wait, the stronger he gets! The sooner I can face him, the better chance we all have of living to see the future! D’you know what it’s like, knowing I’m responsible for everyone out there? The whole Wizarding world, and the Muggle world as well? Anyone who dies, or gets tortured, or….” Harry trailed off, his anger fading as quickly as it had errupted. In its place was a feeling of hopelessness, helplessness.

“Harry,” Ginny said softly. “It’s okay. It’s okay to be scared. This is a really big deal, and you’re just a kid.” Her eyes were wet, and filled with compassion.

Professor Lupin moved closer to Harry, and put his hands on his shoulders. “Harry, we’ve talked about this kind of thinking, you and I. You are not responsible for the evil that the Dark Lord perpetrates. And Ginny’s right “ you’re just a kid. We are all here to help you, to train you, to ready you for that moment when you must face Lord Voldemort, alone. But Harry, now’s not that time. There is a plan in motion. Let those who love you help you, Harry.” Harry swallowed hard, and nodded, grateful that he didn’t need to say anything to those who knew him so well.

It was a subdued group that entered the Great Hall for Christmas Eve supper that night. Their spirits were cheered, however, by the appearance of Mr. Weasley and his oldest sons. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny found them seated at a table set in the center of the room, with most of the rest of the staff. Even Professor Trelawney, who seldom emerged from her tower room these days, had joined the company, dressed in her glittering finest. Even with so few students remaining at the school for the holidays, the Great Hall had been made festive. Merry flags bearing images of holly and ivy, golden hippogriffs, and glittering wreaths had replaced the house banners. The usual sparkling trees and ornaments, enchanted snow, and a myriad of flickering candles all brought Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny cheer. The little group began to feel as though it might really be Christmas after all “ and their melancholy was nearly forgotten when Mr. Weasley told them of his surprise.

“The Burrow!” exclaimed Ron loudly. “ We really get to go to the Burrow for Christmas?”

Mr. Weasley smiled, his eyes twinkling. “That’s right, Ron. The Order has been there for the last couple of days, putting charms and enchantments all around the place. Isn’t that right, Headmaster?”

Professor Dumbledore’s face was tired, but his eyes were bright as well. “That is correct, my dears. And I hope you will allow me to join you “ it’s been far too long since I’ve had any of Molly’s excellent cooking.”

The rest of the evening passed in pleasant conversation and good food. Harry noticed that Ginny was especially talkative. He was sure it had to do with the warm, comforting presence of her father; Harry knew that they has always been close. Ron and Hermione, too, seemed to be deep in conversation. Harry, Lupin and Ginny had just started a game of exploding snap with Mr. Weasley when Harry noticed Ron and Hermione rise from the table. Ron caught Harry’s eye. “Think we’ll go for a little walk, stretch our legs a bit,” he said, too casually.

“Right,” answered Harry, hiding a grin. “See you upstairs.”

He walked Ginny up to the Gryffindor tower an hour later, trailing ash “ they had both lost the game miserably. Harry looked at Ginny and chuckled. She looked as though she was wearing a masquerade guise, with soot across her eyes and nose. “What’s so funny?” she asked with amusement.

“You look like you’re wearing a mask,” he grinned. “Like you’ve just returned from one of those masquerade Balls or something.” He offered her his handkerchief.

Ginny smiled and took the handkerchief. “ Well, at least I don’t look like a scraggly old barn owl. You’ve soot everywhere but under your glasses.”

Harry laughed and took back the handkerchief she passed him. He stopped on the staircase leading up to the seventh floor and pulled off his glasses. Unfortunately, this particular staircase began moving at precisely that moment, so that Harry lost his balance and stumbled into Ginny. He grabbed her shoulders to steady himself, as she put her arms out to catch him. “Good reflexes,” Harry said as he looked into her laughing brown eyes. How had he never noticed they were flecked with gold? “Sorry,” he added “ but did not remove his hands from her shoulders.

She looked up at him. “That’s alright”. He noticed she did not remove her hands from his chest. As the staircase glided smoothly onward, Harry felt a warmth come over him. Ginny’s eyes were locked on his. It seemed the most natural thing in the world to cover her lips with his in a gentle, soft kiss. Miracle of miracles “ he found she was kissing him back.

Their staircase ride ended much too soon, and they found themselves on the landing to the third floor. Harry pulled back to look again into those shinning eyes. They were rich and deep, and full of tenderness. They were both breathing fast, like they had run up the stairs rather than been transported on their own flying carpet.

“Was that alright?” Harry asked her, suddenly realizing that he had never asked her permission to kiss her.

“No,” Ginny replied.

“I think you can do better.”

And she kissed him again.
The Burrow by nnnancy
Chapter Five “ The Burrow

Harry awakened to darkness, with only the glowing embers of the fire to remind him of where he was. He had fallen asleep on the sofa in the common room after saying goodnight to Ginny. He had wanted a few minutes to himself before going upstairs to find Ron. He knew from the blackness that it couldn’t yet be morning. He stretched, and indulged himself in the memory of Ginny’s kiss. Kissing Ginny had not been like kissing Cho last year “ instead of nervous, he felt at peace; instead of doubt, he felt assurance; instead of hesitancy, he felt boldness. And it had seemed like Ginny felt that way, too. Harry smiled at the recollection of her bright brown eyes, soft with tenderness, gazing into his. He had wanted to bring her to the sofa with him, to lie beside her all night, just so he could keep on looking into those eyes “ but he knew that wouldn’t have been right. She was only fifteen, after all. She was a treasure, and he didn’t want to spoil her, or frighten her.

Rising stiffly from his resting-place, Harry went upstairs to his dormitory. He expected to find Ron snoring, but found him instead lying awake in the dim light from the stove. “Harry!” he exclaimed when he saw him. “Where’ve you been? I was about to come looking for you!”

Harry felt a small pang of guilt when he realized that after all that had transpired in the past several hours, that of course his best friend would be worried about him. And another pang added to that when he realized that he had no idea how Ron would take it when he found out he’d been snogging his sister. He decided that news could wait.

“Sorry, Ron. I fell asleep on the couch. Didn’t mean to worry you.” Harry thought of something else. “How was your …er…walk last night with Hermione? You two looked like you had a lot to talk about.”

Ron heaved a sigh. “Yeah, we had a lovely talk. About her parents, about Hagrid, about my parents, about you… about everything except what I wanted to talk about,” he finished in frustration. “I wanted to tell her how I feel, y’know? But if she doesn’t feel that same way….”

“Then you’ve ruined your friendship,” Harry finished for him.

Ron lowered his voice to a whisper, even though they were the only two in the dormitory. “I thought about kissing her, Harry. I even tried to get her under the mistletoe. But every time I got her close, she went skipping off in another direction. Am I really that repulsive to her?”

Harry shook his head. “I think she’s teasing you, Ron. Y’know, trying to get back at you for being so slow to notice her. Maybe she wants to make you suffer a bit.”

Ron’s eyes widened. “You think so? Blimey, Harry, I bet you’re right! So… what do you think I should do?”

“I think you’ll have to figure that out for yourself, mate. But I don’t think I’d wait much longer.”

A thoughtful look crossed Ron’s face. “Yeah,” he muttered slowly. Then he started to giggle. He was still giggling as Harry pulled on his pajamas and pulled the curtains on his four-poster closed. Ron’s laughter was the last thing Harry heard as he drifted off to sleep in the early gray light of Christmas morning.

It seemed as though he had just fallen asleep when something cold and wet on his eyelashes woke Harry. “Hey!” he heard Ron sputter. “What’s this?” Harry sat up and found a light snow falling inside the dormitory. The silvery peal of girlish laughter told him they had company. It was a decidedly sweeter sound than the one Ron had left in his dreams.

Harry yanked back the curtains and pulled on his glasses to find Ginny and Hermione standing there with Cheshire cat grins. Hermione was holding a stack of toast. “Happy Christmas!” she said. “We thought you two were taking much too long to get up. What do think of Ginny’s enchanted snow?”

“I think it’s way too cold and wet to be magic snow,” grumbled Ron, who obviously was not yet fully awake.

“Well, that’s part of the enchantment, isn’t it,” Ginny answered airily. Harry thought she looked quite beautiful with the frosty snow in her glistening red hair. “C’mon, get up you two “ you have presents to open!”

Harry looked excitedly to the end of his bed and grinned. A pile of gifts did indeed await him. He grabbed his dressing gown from the end of the bed and pulled it on. Hermione had seen him in his pajamas before, but he suddenly felt shy about Ginny seeing him. He jumped out of bed and ran to his trunk, where he had put the gifts for his friends. He hesitated at giving Ginny her gift now; he felt he would rather have her open it without Ron and Hermione around.

Ron seemed to be waking up. He pulled his covers up around his neck and hissed, “Hermione “ we’re not dressed!” The girls seemed to think this remark highly amusing, and laughed themselves breathless as Ron struggled into his robe, which he managed to put on, inside out. Harry tossed Ron his gift, and handed Hermione hers.

As he crossed the room to give Ginny her carefully wrapped package, he said in a quiet voice, “open this later, okay?” She smiled and slipped it into her pocket.

“I have something for you later, too,” she whispered. Harry’s heart skipped a beat, and for a moment he thought he had swallowed Ginny’s dancing butterfly.

After gifts had been opened “ Ron gave Harry a large assortment of Honeydukes' sweets, and Hermione had finally given him Hogwarts: A History in the hopes that he might at last read it “ the boys shooed the girls out of their room so they could get properly dressed. Harry had just pulled on his latest Weasley sweater (all shades of green with a large, violet “H” on the front), when he heard a tap-tap-tap at the window. It was Hedwig, looking very cold. Harry quickly let her in and brought her over by the stove to get warm. He untied a small parcel from her leg.

“What’s that?” asked Ron, resplendent in his own Weasley sweater of maroon.

“I think it’s from the Dursleys,” Harry answered with some surprise. They had never used owl post before, nor sent him something large enough that it required a box to hold it. He tossed it on his bed. “I’ll open it later. Probably a gift some dog left in their garden. Hurry up, can’t you, I’m starving!”

After a quick breakfast in the Great Hall, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny joined Professor Lupin and the headmaster in the entrance hall for the greatly anticipated journey to the Burrow. Lupin was looking particularly fine this morning in a brand new cloak, steel gray. Dumbledore had on robes of bright red for the occasion. He held out a broken candlestand, and said, “Portus.” The candlestand shone blue and trembled. As Harry reached to lay a finger on it, he surreptitiously took hold of Ginny’s hand. She pressed his fingers in response, and Harry felt the familiar jerk at his navel. The next thing he knew, he was rolling over in the grass outside Ron’s front door, with Ginny laughing beside him.

While Christmas morning had dawned gray and cold at Hogwarts, here at the Burrow the sun was shinning. The Weasley home had been decorated for the holiday with garlands and fairy lights hanging about, and golden ivy snaking up the walls and across the ceiling. But the loveliest thing was the smells coming from Mrs. Weasley’s kitchen. Harry caught the aroma of roasting lamb, and thought he smelled a Yorkshire pudding as well. Ron was already on his feet and heading towards the door, when he remembered Hermione. She was sitting on the lawn next to Ginny, pulling dried grass out of her hair. Ron walked over to her and held out his hand.

“Need a hand up?” he inquired politely. Hermione gave him a broad smile and put her hand in his, and Ron pulled her to her feet.

“Thank you, Ronald,” she said, just as politely. Harry and Ginny exchanged glances as they helped each other up. Ginny was trying hard not to laugh. Ron and Hermione seemed frozen, hand in hand.

“Coming in, Ron?” Ginny asked casually, as the two continued to stare at one another.

“Uh… Yeah… yeah, sure, Ginny. Coming.” Ron released Hermione’s fingers, and followed the girls into the house. Harry hung back for a moment. He was remembering his last Christmas, at Grimmauld place with Sirius, and how happy his godfather had been when he discovered that they would all be staying with him for Christmas. Last year he had been so afraid of hurting his friends. He had felt so alone, so angry and confused. Sirius had understood. And so had Ginny. He was looking forward to spending Christmas day with her here, in this familiar place. But he so missed Sirius. If only there was some way I could talk to him again, thought Harry. Just for a few minutes…His thoughts were interrupted by Ron.

“Oy, Harry! Get in here! Mum wants to see you,” Ron called out the open window.

“I’m coming,” Harry yelled back. He smiled as he caught sight of a mane of red hair waiting for him in the doorway.




Inside, a harried-looking but smiling Mrs. Weasley warmly greeted Harry. “Harry, dear! There you are,” she said, brushing her hair out of her eyes with a floured hand. “We’re so glad you could all be here today. Imagine, Christmas at home with all the family, even during these times. Makes me think everything will be put to rights in the end.” She gave him a quick hug. “Everyone else is in the dining room. Go have a nice visit, and later you can make yourself useful. Go on, I’ll call you if I need you. Ginny,” she called to her daughter, “come give me a hand with these potatoes, would you dear?” Ginny rolled her eyes at Harry, and he flashed her a grin.

“See you later,” he said. From the direction of the dining room he could hear laughter, and the deep voices of the Weasley sons. They were snickering as he entered.

“Charlie, I told you not to eat anything those two give you” said Bill, trying to stifle his laughter. Charlie sat at the table sprouting feathers and a bright yellow countenance. He had turned into an enormous yellow bird. Fred and George were rolling on the floor, nearly unable to breathe. Harry knew the twins must have tricked Charlie into trying a canary cream, and joined in the laughter. Charlie molted a few moments later, and turned to give Fred and George a tongue-lashing, but all that came from his mouth were the delicate, warbling notes of a songbird.

“Added that just this year, that’s a new feature,” squeaked George, his eyes streaming. Fred pounded the floor with his fist, unable to speak. Seconds later he was racing out into the garden behind George, Charlie streaking after them both with murder in his eye.

Bill recovered first. “Harry! Glad you’re here! Mum’s been cooking like a mad woman ever since she found out you lot could come to the Burrow. Never seen anything like it.” Harry returned Bill’s hearty handshake; he was glad to see him here, as he hadn’t been able to speak to him or Charlie much at the Three Broomsticks yesterday. Bill still had his earring, and still wore his hair in a ponytail. But Harry noticed he had a few new scars on his arms and face, and wondered if they were from the course of his work with the Goblins at Gringotts, or from his work with the Order.

Mr. Weasley came around the table and gave Harry a fatherly hug. “Happy Christmas, Harry! We’ve got some lovely Muggle Christmas traditions this year, come have a look.” He led Harry through the house, pointing out displays of “ekeltric” strings of lights, a train running round a tarnished track, and a stack of artificial fire-starter logs laid on the fireplace hearth. “Isn’t it amazing, Harry? I understand Muggles light one of the things with a matchell and it burns just like a fire!” Harry agreed that it was truly amazing. After a few more turns round the house (“Look, Harry “ a John-in-the Box! Wind it up and a little man pops out!”), Mr. Weasley steered Harry into a deserted corner of the living room.

“Harry,” he began in a low voice, “how are you? Dumbledore says your scar hasn’t been hurting at all this year, is that right?”

“Yeah, it’s been fine,” Harry told him. “I guess Volde “ sorry, You-Know-Who, has been lying low.”

Mr. Weasley frowned. “Hmm. I wish that were true, Harry. There’s been an awful lot of talk at the Ministry. Lots of pranks, lots of mischief “ folks seeing what they can get away with. A lot of young people, too, people your age and even younger.”

“Did you hear about Draco Malfoy?” Harry asked. “He was dressed like a Death Eater in Hogsmeade yesterday. He was….”

Mr. Weasley cut him off. “Yes, I heard about it. The Malfoys certainly wouldn’t need any outside encouragement to run errands for the Dark Lord, would they?”

“So… you think he’s recruiting kids now to join the Death Eaters? That’s…that’s….”

“Quite appalling,” finished Albus Dumbledore, who had joined them, unnoticed. “And unfortunately, quite likely. Voldemort has no scruples about destroying children, as you well know, Harry. And what better way to get to the parents than through their precious children? That is why we have long been cautioning secrecy at Hogwarts in all we are doing against the Dark Lord. We cannot know whether some of your fellow students may put our plans at risk.”

“I thought it was because some of them might be under the Imperious curse,” said Harry slowly. “I knew the Slytherins would mostly be on his side, but I didn’t think the others …of their own free will…” Harry trailed off.

“He can be very persuasive, Harry. And he make lots of promises to his followers,” said Mr. Weasley, looking grim. “Has Professor Snape had much success in his endeavors lately, Headmaster?”

Dumbledore shook his head. “I’m afraid not, Arthur. We must be very careful with Severus just now. I’m concerned that he may be in danger.”

Harry had no love for Snape, but he didn’t want to see him killed on behalf of the Order. “Shouldn’t he be pulled out, Sir? Can we risk leaving him in Voldemort’s camp?”

“For now, we must, Harry. Professor Snape is no fool; he knows the risks involved. For now, he will stay where he is. And now,” he abruptly changed his tone, “we are here for a celebration! Let us not linger over this talk. Arthur, show me how these fire-stirrers work….”

Harry wandered thoughtfully back towards the kitchen, wondering if he should tell the others what he had just heard. He decided that Dumbledore was right “ it was Christmas day, after all. He found Ron and Hermione playing cards at the kitchen table, and Ginny, in one of her mother’s aprons, supervising a pan of boiling potatoes on the stove. Her face was red from the heat, and her usually straight hair had curled slightly round her face. Harry thought she looked quite fetching. “Need any help?” he asked her.

“Nope,” she replied with a smile. “But I think Ron does.”

Hermione was patiently trying to teach Ron a Muggle card game, and he was hopelessly lost. “No, Ron, the black eight goes here, on the red seven. Then the red nine can go on top.”

Mrs. Weasley came into kitchen, as red-faced as her daughter. “Thank you, Ginny, those potatoes should be fine, now. Goodness, it’s hot in this kitchen! Why don’t you four go on into the Garden and cool off a little? It’s lovely out in the sunshine, not a cloud in the sky. Go on, go on, out with you!”

They didn’t need telling twice. Ron seemed as glad to escape his card game as Ginny was to escape her apron. They hurried out the door and joined Charlie, Bill, the twins, and Professor Lupin, all outside enjoying the mild weather. Charlie was thumping Bill on the back, and Bill was grinning from ear to ear. “Congratulations, Bill; that’s lovely news,” Harry heard Remus say.

“What’s lovely news?” asked Ron as he, Harry, Hermione and Ginny joined the smiling group around Bill. George looked at Ron with his face shining. “Bill’s getting married, little brother! The first of the Weasley men to go under. I must say, Bill, never thought it’d be you.”

“That’s right,” Fred added. “We thought for sure it’d be Percy. He seems more the settling down type doesn’t he? Still, since he’s off being a great giant prat for the Ministry, we’ll just have to make do with you!”

Charlie broke in. “Mother doesn’t know yet, so no one say anything. She’ll have kittens if Bill doesn’t tell her himself.”

“So, where’s Fleur? It is Fleur, I presume,” asked Ginny, as she stepped up to give Bill a hug.

“She’s at her parents house, telling them the news. She’ll be here a little later. Well, guess I’d better go in and tell Mum. Cover your ears!”

Bill disengaged himself from his band of well wishers and went inside. Professor Lupin turned to Harry. “Turning out to be quite an eventful day, isn’t it?” he said with a smile. Harry grinned.

“Yeah,” he answered, “but I think Ron’s in shock.” Ron did indeed look to be quite stunned at Bill’s news. He was staring after his older brother with his mouth hanging open. “You all right, Ron?” Harry said to him.

“Blimey,” Ron whispered. “Fancy Bill and Fleur getting married. Remember when she was at Hogwarts, Harry? How all the boys made idiots of themselves over her?” (Ron seemed to have conveniently forgotten that he was one of the aforementioned idiots.) “You don’t think she …bewitched him or something, do you?”

Professor Lupin laughed. “Bill and Fleur have been working together for some time now, Ron, and have gotten to know each other well. I think he’s really in love with her. She really is a lovely young woman. I’m sure you’ll enjoy getting to know her too.”

At this Ron turned beet red. Fortunately, Hermione was deep in conversation with Ginny about the upcoming wedding, and didn’t notice. Harry was sure Ron wouldn’t have wanted to explain to her why the thought of spending time with Fleur was an embarrassment to him. Apparently he hadn’t completely forgotten some of the boastful things he said to her in their third year to try and impress her, and they hadn’t gone unnoticed by Hermione, either.

A scream from the house interrupted their thoughts. Mrs. Weasley had obviously been told that her son was going to be married, and reacted in expected fashion. Everyone milling about in the yard laughed. “C’mon,” Ginny said. “Let’s get out of here before Mum wants me to start peeling potatoes for Bill’s wedding feast!” She ran through the Garden towards the orchard, with the others following close behind.

“Wait up,” laughed Harry. He knew Ginny was quick on a broom, but had never realized how fast she was on her feet. He caught her just before she reached the paddock and grabbed her round the waist, lifting her off her feet. He whirled her around as she laughed in his arms, then they fell over backwards. Ron and Hermione, racing along right behind them, toppled into the pair of them and came crashing to the ground as well. None of them was hurt, and none of them could stop laughing. Hermione gave Harry a sly look, and smiled her approval. Ron, as usual, was clueless. Harry rolled out from under the pile of bodies and picked Ginny up, them gave a hand up to Hermione and Ron. Ron seemed to be lost in a fit of giggles.

“Go on, you two,” sighed Hermione. “I’ll stay with this maniac.” Harry gave Hermione a grateful smile and grabbed Ginny’s hand. She blushed slightly, but gave Hermione a small wave as they walked off towards the paddock. They heard Ron giggling even after they were inside the gate.

As soon as they were out of sight of the others, Harry pulled Ginny into his arms and stole a kiss. He then did what he had wanted to do all this Christmas day. He reached carefully into Ginny's pocket and pulled out the gift he had given her that morning. "Open it," he said. He kissed her hand as he placed the box in it.

Ginny’s eyes were bright. “Thank you, Harry,” she said. They sat down on the grass. She opened the little box gingerly. Her mouth dropped open when she saw the sparkling violet butterfly, fluttering in its resting-place. “Oh, Harry,” she breathed, “it’s beautiful!” She gently fingered the delicate piece.

Harry took it from her and placed it carefully in her hair. He had never touched Ginny’s hair before, and was amazed at how silky it felt under his fingers. The butterfly danced in the scarlet cloud that was Ginny’s hair. How had he known her all this time and never seen how lovely she was? Her smile made his heart dance like the butterfly in her hair.

Shyly, Ginny pulled a package out from under her jacket. It was far bulkier than the parcel Harry had given her. She offered it to him, coloring pink at the ears. Harry grinned; he couldn’t help but be reminded of Ron. He ripped the paper off and found a beautifully knitted jumper “ black, with a golden snitch embroidered on the front that looked like its wings were really moving. “Ginny!” Harry exclaimed. “This is excellent! Did you make it?”

“Yes,” she answered. “Mum taught me how last summer. Do you really like it?”

“I love it!” Harry answered. And he pulled off his green Weasley sweater right then and there and pulled the one Ginny had made over his head. She laughed delightedly and clapped her hands. “Thank you, Ginny. This the nicest gift I’ve ever had.” He pulled her gently into his lap and kissed her again. Her eyes were shining. He stroked her hair, and she gently placed her fingertips at his temple and touched his face. Harry closed his eyes. He had never felt anything like it. She traced his scar softly, then pulled his head down, and kissed the mark delicately. Harry found himself very much moved by this, and his eyes began to sting. He buried his face in her hair, and stayed that way a long time.

Some time later, they heard Hermione calling them. It was time for dinner. Hand in hand, they joined her and went to where she had left Ron. (“He fell asleep,” she said disgustedly.) They woke him and the four of them hurried back across the Garden through the lengthening shadows to join their family and friends around the table.



“That was, without a doubt,” said a well-contented Albus Dumbledore, “the best meal I have ever had in my lifetime, Molly. And that’s saying something,” he winked at her.

Remus Lupin, looking as though he could barely move, sighed and agreed. “You’ve really outdone yourself, Molly,” he said.

Fleur Delacour had arrived, and was busily questioning Mrs. Weasley on the preparation of all Bill’s favorite dishes, which she was only too happy to share. Charlie and Bill were playing Wizard chess, and Fred and George were fiddling about with their fireworks over by the window “ Harry was keeping a sharp eye on them, convinced that there would be a commotion before long. Ginny brought out a tin of fudge she had made and offered some to Harry, who accepted it gladly. Even after a full meal, he would never disappoint Ginny by refusing. And it was quite excellent.

Mr. Weasley had brought out a photo album of previous Christmases at the Burrow, and Ron and Hermione were sitting close together, looking through the pictures. Harry stepped behind their chair for a look as well. Moving photographs of all the Weasley offspring, at various ages, gamboled through the pictures, laughing and smiling up at him. Harry laughed when he saw six-year-old Ron give a great toothless grin, and at ten-year-old Ginny on a broom, skimming over the grass in her nightdress, her father jogging delightedly behind her. He thought sadly that there were no such pictures of him. He wondered what his first Christmas had been like, with his parents.

Professor Lupin moved up beside him. “You know, Harry, Sirius and I were at your parents house frequently for Christmas.”

Harry’s head snapped round to stare at Lupin. How could he always know what he was thinking? Could he be a Legilimens? Harry would have to remember to ask him.

Lupin continued. “Yes, we were there for your first Christmas as well. You were only five months old, as I recall. What a shock of black hair you had!” Ron and Hermione had turned in their chair to listen, and Ginny sat down on the arm of it. “I remember Sirius had brought you a Christmas gift, and he was trying to get you to do magic to retrieve it from him. Lilly kept telling him you were too young, that babies don’t do magic, but he was insistent. You were lying on a blanket on the floor, watching him wave this pretty package in front of you. Every time you tried to grab it, he would pull it away. You finally screwed up your face and yelled, and that box went flying out of Sirius’ hand, raced around the room three times, and bashed him on the head before it finally came floating gently down into your little arms. Sirius was beside himself with glee “ he scooped you up and danced around the room with you, shouting that you were a real wizard. Lily was running after him with a rag, trying to clean up the mess he was making; you had managed to give him a bloody nose. James and I were laughing so hard we were crying.” Professor Lupin was wiping his eyes even now at the memory, and the rest of them were laughing as well at the thought of Sirius, covered with blood, dancing around with baby Harry.

Remus told more stories of Harry and his parents, Harry listening eagerly. They were eventually interrupted by Fred and George’s fireworks going off in the corner, shooting through the house like stars. Mrs. Weasley shrieked and ran from the room, but the rest of them enjoyed the display “ much more subdued than their exhibition at Hogwarts last year, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Then Professor Dumbledore rose from his chair, thanked Molly once again for the excellent feast, shook Arthur Weasley’s hand, and pulled the broken candlestand once again from his robes. After affectionate good-byes all around, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Professor Lupin all placed a finger on the portkey, and the Burrow faded away.

Back in the entrance hall, the travelers all bid one another goodnight and started for their rooms. “Harry,” Dumbledore called him back. “Could I see you for a moment, please?”

Harry looked at the others. “See you in the common room,” he said, and walked back over to the headmaster. “Yes, Sir?”

“Harry, I wondered if you are feeling well? You seem a little pale.” Harry’s guardian wore a concerned look.

“I’m fine, Professor,” Harry answered him. “I think I probably ate too much. I’ve got a bit of a stomach-ache. And I’m awfully tired,” Harry said as he stifled a yawn.

The headmaster smiled. “Very well, then. I’ll let you go on to your dormitory. Good night, Harry.”

“Good night. Oh, and Sir? Thank you for arranging Christmas at the Burrow for us. It was really excellent.” Harry knew that preparations for this day had been no small undertaking, and it meant a lot to him that his guardian went to all that trouble on his behalf.

“You are very welcome, Harry. I’m glad you enjoyed it,” he said with a fatherly smile. “Now, off to bed with you.”

Harry found he had to drag himself up the last flight of stairs. It wasn’t that late, but he was really very tired. His limbs felt heavy. He climbed wearily through the portrait hole, but perked up when he saw Ron, Hermione, and Ginny waiting for him in their favorite chairs by the fire. Tired though he was, he noticed that Hermione was wearing a bright blue butterfly in her hair.

“Harry, look who’s here,” said Hermione. He hadn’t noticed that there was one more person seated by the fire.

“Neville!” Harry exclaimed. “What are you doing back? I thought you were visiting your Gran?”

Neville appeared apprehensive. “Just thought I’d come back early. A little bit of Gran goes a long way.” Everyone laughed. They’d all met Neville’s grandmother, and agreed she was a forbidding woman. Harry wanted to stay up and talk with his friends, and especially with Ginny, but his stomach-ache was starting to bother him, and he was so tired, he wished them all a happy Christmas and started upstairs.

“Neville, you look tired too,” Ginny said. “Why don’t you go upstairs with Harry. I’m going up now, too. Good night Hermione;” she gave Ron a meaningful look. “Good night, Ron.” And she followed the boys towards the stairs. Harry stopped her at the foot of the girls’ staircase.

“Thanks for making this a wonderful Christmas, Ginny. I’ll see you in the morning.” He kissed her hand, then her cheek. And then her lips.

“Harry, you’re so cold,” she exclaimed. “Are you all right?”

“Yeah, just tired. Ate too much of your Mum’s cooking. The potatoes were great, by the way.”

She laughed. “Well, get some rest. Maybe we can go out to the Quidditch pitch tomorrow if the weather clears up.”

Harry smiled. “That sounds great. Sleep well, Ginny.” He climbed slowly up the stairs, sure, at that moment, that he was the luckiest boy in the world. At the top he glanced back down. He wasn’t surprised to see Ron and Hermione under the mistletoe.
The Hospital Wing by nnnancy
Chapter Five “ The Hospital Wing

Harry awoke a few hours later, drenched in sweat and writhing in agony. His gut felt like it was being consumed in fire. His retching woke Ron, who sprang immediately to Harry’s bedside.

“Harry! Harry, what is it? Is it V-Voldemort?” Ron was nearly as white as Harry. Harry couldn’t speak, but shook his head. Ron called for Neville, who was just getting out of bed. “Neville, go get Madame Pomfrey “ hurry!” Neville was off in a flash, stumbling out the doorway.

Harry knew that Lord Voldemort wasn’t in his head, but he didn’t know what was wrong with him. His stomach continued to burn, and he couldn’t seem to control his arms and legs. His limbs were thrashing about; he had no ability to stop them. It felt like ice was flowing through his veins. He willed himself to speak to Ron. His voice was barely a whisper. “…Tell…Ginny…I love… her….”

Ron sat next to Harry on his bed, trying to hold him down. His eyes were wide with fear, and bright with unshed tears. “Tell her yourself, mate “ you’re gong to be all right,” Ron insisted. Harry tried to smile at him, hoping he was right, but afraid he wasn’t. He thought he might be dying. The last thing he heard was Ron’s pleading voice; “Hold on, Harry, you’ve got to hold on! Harry! Harry, please… please don’t let him die… please…” Ron’s voice faded; Harry’s eyes rolled back in his head.

Harry was in a wood, lush with greenery. The air was cool and moist and the trees around him were thick, so that he could only see a little way in front of him. This wasn’t the Forbidden forest, though. This was a peaceful, calm place. Birds were singing; he thought he even heard Phoenix song. He moved forward through the trees, trying to find the source of the thrilling chord that meant so much to him. He came to a clearing, and there he saw Albus Dumbledore waiting for him. Harry walked up to him, curious as to what they were both doing there.

“Hello, Harry.” The headmaster smiled at him. “Do you know where we are?”

“No, Sir. This place seems familiar, but….”

“Think back, Harry. What’s the last thing you remember?”

Harry thought hard, searching his memory. “I remember Christmas day at the Burrow, and coming back to Hogwarts. I can’t remember anything after that.”

“Can’t you? Try harder, Harry. Remember!” The headmaster’s voice was stern. Harry closed his eyes and probed further, examining his thoughts.

“I was ill,” he said suddenly. “I was…am I dead?” he asked Dumbledore curiously. He was not afraid, just very confused.

His guardian smiled. “No Harry, you are not dead. Are you sure you don’t know where we are?”

Harry looked around at the somehow familiar setting. Then he knew. “We’re in my mind.”

“That is correct. We are in a very deep part of you’re mind. Listen carefully, Harry. You are in the Hospital Wing. You are indeed very ill. You have been poisoned.”

“Poisoned?” Harry repeated. “By who?”

Dumbledore sighed. “That,” he said, “we do not know. That is why I am contacting you here in your mind. Madame Pomfrey needs to know if anyone gave you anything while you were at the Burrow. Anything to eat or drink, or perhaps a garment, that no one else had? Knowing this might help us determine what type of poison you were given.”

Harry thought back over his time at the Burrow. Ginny had given him both a garment and her homemade fudge “ but Ginny would never….

“Ginny made me a sweater, and some fudge. But,” he added hurriedly, “Ginny didn’t poison me, Professor, I’m sure of it.”

“As am I, Harry, as am I. Thank you. We may be able to find out who had access to Ginny’s gifts before they were given. Meanwhile, I must tell you “ you are gravely ill. I may not be able to contact you this way again, if your mind becomes any more affected by this toxin. But rest assured we are doing all we can to help you. Professor Snape is working round the clock to find an antidote, and Remus has never left your side. Your friends Ron and Hermione have to be forced to take food. Miss Weasley is with you night and day as well. We will find a cure, Harry, of this I am certain.”

It felt odd, talking with Dumbledore in this pleasant place in his mind, about his life being in danger, about his friend’s concern for him. “How long have I been in the Hospital Wing?” he asked.

“For two days. Ron absolutely refused to leave you alone. I’m sure Madame Pomfrey has never heard such words directed towards her from a student in the many years she has been at Hogwarts.”

“Give them all my love, will you, Sir?” he asked. He was not afraid of death, because he knew Sirius and his parents were waiting for him beyond the veil. But he was afraid of never seeing his friends again “ especially Ginny.

“I will certainly do so, Harry. And while I have the chance, I will tell you plainly something I should have voiced long ago, but never have.” He paused. “I love you, Harry. You are more than a son to me.”

Harry could not speak. His throat was tight and his eyes were burning. He nodded, and as his guardian swept him into a protective embrace, he found his voice.

“I love you too, Professor.”

Dumbledore was gone. The place where he had stood shone with light for a moment, then faded. His world was going black; there was no more Phoenix song.



* * * *



Harry was bound tightly to a chair. His head was pinned back as well; he could only see directly in front of him. His bonds were so tight they had cut off his circulation. He could not feel his arms or legs. It was dark, but there was light coming from somewhere behind him. He heard a voice whispering, and he strained to see to his left, from where the voice was coming, but its owner stayed just out of his line of vision. Footsteps, heavy and slow, were moving nearer. He saw a man come into view, small and hunched. As he watched, the man tranfigured into a rat, large and gray and shabby. The rat had a shining silver paw on its right front foot. “No,” Harry moaned. “Not you. You TRAITOR!” he screamed.


The rat transfigured again, this time into a boy about his age, his face covered by the hood of a heavy, black cloak. But Harry could see his eyes, glinting yellow in the shadows. He recognized the drawling laugh. Draco Malfoy threw back his cover, his thin, pointed face more pale than ever, his eyes turning to slits. “Had enough, Potter?” he laughed louder and harder, the noise of it filling the room, threatening to burst Harry’s eardrums. Harry screwed his eyes shut against the sound.

Then the sound changed. It was no longer the menacing laughter of Draco Malfoy, but a high-pitched, girlish squeal. He felt something cold and wet on his eyelids, and he opened his eyes. There was a blanket of snow covering him, an icy wind whipping his hair. He had never been so cold, ever. Standing in front of him, her red hair lashing in the gale, was Ginny, laughing maniacally.

“No!” Harry shouted. “No, Ginny, it’s not you! It’s not you!” Blackness enveloped him, as the sound of Ginny’s laughter roared in his ears….



* * * *




Harry could hear a buzzing, just beyond the edge of the darkness. His body felt heavy and bruised, as if he’d been in a fight with a dragon, and lost. He tried to open his eyes, but an unseen force weighted them down. The buzzing became words, and he could hear Ginny’s voice, tremulous, speaking to him.

“Oh, Harry, I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. You mean the world to me.” Her voice was low, and Harry could hear the tears in it. He wanted to comfort her, to tell her he didn’t blame her, but his voice wouldn’t come. She continued even more softly. “Professor Dumbledore keeps saying you’ll be alright, but we’re all so worried. I can’t bear to look at Ron and Hermione; they look terrible. Oh, Harry, it’s all my fault! I should’ve been more careful! I knew your life was in danger, I should’ve had Professor Moody check your gifts before I gave them to you. How could I have been so stupid! And now…now you may never come back, and I never told you I loved you….”

Ginny was sobbing now; she couldn’t speak. But her words brought a powerful warmth to Harry, and they seemed to give him strength. He fought to bring his body back under his control. He forced the heavy weight from his eyes, and found he could open them. Ginny’s head was on his chest, the shinning red hair all around him. He covered her hand with his. “Ginny,” he whispered.

“HARRY! she shrieked. She stared, dazed, into his eyes. She put her hands on his face, as if she couldn’t believe he was really back. “Harry,” she said again. “Are you all right? Can you hear me?”

“I can hear you, and I heard you before,” he answered her, his throat dry, his voice cracking. “I love you, too, Ginny.”

This was too much for her. She dissolved into racking sobs. “Harry... I didn’t ... know .... So sorry ... forgive...me,” she choked out, weeping fiercely on his shoulder.

Harry stroked her hair, tears in his eyes as well. “Ginny, don’t,” he murmured. He couldn’t bear to see her suffer like this. “It wasn’t your fault; I know you would never hurt me. Ginny, look at me.” He pulled her chin up towards him so he could see her golden brown eyes. “You are my precious treasure. Please, stop blaming yourself. Please?”

Ginny gave him a watery smile, and nodded. “Let me get the others.” She pulled Harry’s curtain aside, and he saw Ron, Hermione, Neville and Professor Lupin sitting together under the sunny window. He also saw, to his great surprise, Professor Snape, sitting with his head bowed a little way off from the others. Ginny called to them. “Hey, you lot! Harry’s awake! He’s awake!”

Harry was instantly surrounded by his loyal friends. He heard Lupin call for Madame Pomfrey. Hermione flung herself at him, and he was reminded of the boxing match with that dragon. “Hermione, ow!” She immediately backed away with her hand over her mouth, looking mortified. Harry took her arm and brought her back to him for a gentle hug.

“Oh, Harry,” she cried, “I was so worried about you! I’ve missed you so much!”

“How long have I been out?” Harry asked. He knew it had been two days at the time he talked to Dumbledore in his mind.

Ron answered his question. “You’ve been out almost a week, mate.” Ron looked shaky, and sat down on the edge of Harry’s bed. “We really thought we were losing you.”

Madame Pomfrey came bustling in, ordering everyone out of the way. They all stepped back a few paces, but refused to leave. She glared at them; then, knowing she was already defeated, proceeded to check Harry over thoroughly. While she was doing this, Dumbledore arrived.

“Harry, nice to see you back again.” The headmaster looked relieved. “How is he, Poppy?”

Madame Pomfrey harrumphed. “He’s be a sight better if could get some peace and quiet.” But Harry noticed that her eyes were bright. “I don’t know how, Headmaster, but he’s come through. I expect he’ll be weak for a few days at least. He’ll need plenty of rest. Are you hungry, Mr. Potter?”

Harry nodded. Madame Pomfrey hastened away to get him something to eat. Dumbledore took her place at Harry’s bedside. The others continued to wait for their turn to see Harry. He noticed that the Hospital Wing was starting to become crowded.

Professor Dumbledore laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Well, my boy, how are you feeling? I don’t mind telling you that you gave us quite a scare.”

“Sorry about that, Sir. I’m feeling well enough, under the circumstances. What happened to me after I spoke with you in my mind?” Harry raised himself up on his pillows a bit, and grimaced at the pain this small movement brought.

Dumbledore closed his eyes briefly, and a look of dismay crossed his face. “You were unconscious for six days, Harry. I tried to contact you in your mind several times, but I couldn’t get through. I could tell you were suffering from terrible dreams, though. I wish I could have done something to ease your mind. Your faithful companions remained at your side as long as Madame Pomfrey would let them. Remus has been terribly agitated. But I think no one suffered more than poor Ginny. She has felt dreadful guilt about her part in your condition, even though she is not too blame.”

“Did you find out who poisoned me, Sir?”

“Not yet, Harry. But we do have some strong leads. Your friend Miss Granger has been most helpful in this.” Dumbledore rose from Harry’s bed. “We will talk more about this later. I fear I will be the next victim of Miss Weasley’s bat-boogey hex if I keep you from your friends any longer. I will talk to you again soon, Harry.”

As he turned to leave, Harry stopped him. “Sir? I … just wanted to thank you, for speaking to my mind. What you said… it gave me courage.”

The headmaster’s blue eyes were glistening behind his half-moon spectacles. “I am glad of it Harry. Never forget what I told you.” He turned to the crowd now waiting to see Harry. “Alright, Harry may receive visitors for a short time. Remember, he’s just come through quite an ordeal. I must ask you not to overtire him, please.”

Remus Lupin was the first to his side. He sat down and took Harry’s hands in his. “Harry,” he said, his voice breaking. “I’m so sorry. I should’ve been more diligent, I should’ve…”

“Remus,” Harry stopped him. “It wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t anybody’s fault. You can’t stop every bad thing from happening to me, any more than I could stop Sirius’ fall through the veil. You taught me that, remember?”

Lupin nodded. He put his hand on Harry’s head. “I couldn’t stay with you the whole time, Harry. There was a full moon.” Harry then noticed that Lupin had fresh cuts on his face and hands, and his face the haggard look it wore once a month.

“Didn’t you take your potion?” Harry asked.

“No. But it wasn’t too bad this time. Don’t worry about me, Harry. You just worry about getting well, all right? I’ll be nearby.” He moved aside so Harry’s other visitors could see him. Neville, Professor McGonagall, Hagrid “ they all seemed so relieved to see him alive. Harry realized just how close he must have come to death.

Eventually Madame Pomfrey returned to bring Harry some soup, and to shoo away the visitors. Ron, Hermione and Ginny refused at first to leave, until Harry himself insisted “ they all looked terrible, like they hadn’t slept in weeks. Before Ginny left, she kissed his hand. “I’ll be thinking about you tonight,” she whispered.

Harry pulled her to him. “I’ll be thinking about you, too.” And then, right in front of Ron, he kissed her. She blushed, and he saw Ron grin.

“ ’Bout time, you two. See ya, Harry.” Ron waved as he left, and Hermione kissed Harry on the forehead before she went to join him. Harry suddenly recalled seeing them under the mistletoe. He would have to remember to ask Ron about that later.

As Madame Pomfrey got Harry settled in for the night, Professor Lupin pulled a chair over beside Harry’s bed. “Goodness, Professor,” she exclaimed, “you don’t have to do that again tonight! Harry is going to be fine. You should get some rest yourself!”

“I’ll rest better right here, Poppy.” He met her stare with one of his own “ not unpleasant, but determined.

“Oh, very well,” she said. She gave Harry a dose of a potion he was not familiar with. It had a very nasty taste, but not as bad as the Skele-gro potion he’d had to take in his second year, when Professor Lockhart has managed to remove the bones from Harry’s arm. The nurse bid them goodnight, and left them alone in the gathering darkness.

Harry was glad Remus was there. He felt uneasy about going to sleep “ he wasn’t quite sure he would wake up again. The Professor’s presence was comforting. And he wanted to ask Lupin something.

“Remus,” Harry began, “why was Snape here tonight?”

Lupin leaned his chair back.”Professor Snape, Harry. He was here for the same reason we all were “ he was waiting for you to awaken.”

This didn’t make sense to Harry. “But …why? He hates me; why would he care if I never woke up?”

“That’s an unkind thing to say, Harry,” Lupin chided him gently. “Severus may not be easy to get along with, but he would never wish harm on a student. He spent hours searching for an antidote for whatever poison you ingested. Thankfully, he found one.”

Harry couldn’t believe what he heard. “Hang on… you mean Professor Snape saved my life?”

“Undoubtedly. You would not have survived had it not been for his skill as a potionsmaster."

Harry thought. "That's why you didn't get your potion before the full moon, isn't it? Professor Snape was working on my antidote."

"Don't blame yourself for that, Harry. I would have never forgiven him if he had stopped his work just for me when your life was at stake. And he knows," Remus winked, "that I can be a formiddable ememy. And now,” the Professor reached up and adjusted Harry’s bedclothes. “Sleep,” he commanded. “I’ll be right beside you all night, and I’ll be here when you wake in the morning. Sleep, Harry. You’re going to be all right. Sleep, now.”

Harry closed his eyes, and the darkness that enveloped him was peaceful and calm, like the sound of Professor Lupin’s voice.


This is my first fan fic. If you get a chance, please let me know how I'm doing. Constructive criticism welcome!
- the author
Professor Trelawney by nnnancy
Chapter Six - Professor Trelawney


Madame Pomfrey dismissed Harry the next day, with Professor Lupin’s assurance that he would personally be responsible for seeing that Harry took his potion as prescribed, and return him twice a day for her examination. With her permission, he took Harry for a stroll out to the lake in the unseasonably warm December sunshine. The others had reluctantly gone out to the Quiddith pitch for a bit of flying, at Harry’s insistence “ they had a game against Ravenclaw as soon as the new term started, and Ron and Ginny hadn't had much practice time. He promised to come by later and watch, if Lupin would let him.

Harry was feeling much better than he expected. Although he was still stiff, the heavy, drugged feeling had left him. He found he couldn’t walk as far as he thought, though, so he and Professor Lupin took a seat on the dry grass near the sparkling lake.

There was another reason Harry had encouraged his friends to go flying. He wanted a private word with Professor Lupin. “Remus,” he asked, “have you heard anything more about who may have poisoned me?”

The professor sighed. “I was afraid you might ask me that, Harry. Yes, Dumbledore thinks he knows who did it. But Harry, he has asked me not to tell you just yet.”

Harry bristled. “Why not? I think I have a right to know who tried to kill me!”

“I agree with you, Harry, but I also trust Albus Dumbledore. There is a reason he needs to withhold this information from you, for the time being.”

“I know why,” fumed Harry. “He thinks I’ll go out and find whoever-it-is, and try to get even.”

Remus was silent for a moment. “Would you?” he asked quietly.

Harry looked away. “Probably. But not for me. For Ginny. I can’t stand the thought that someone like that could get close enough to her to do this. What if she gets hurt?” Harry turned to Lupin with unexpected tears in his eyes. “It’s not safe to be close to me, Remus. People get hurt when they get too close to me. It’s a wonder you’re still alive.”

Professor Lupin put a comforting arm around Harry’s shoulders. “Harry, listen to me. You have a destiny that none of us can understand. We can’t take it from you. But those of us that love you, love you. We can’t bear your burden for you, but we can bear it with you. Only you can defeat Lord Voldemort, none of us can. But we can die trying. And that is what we have vowed to do. Our lives are a small price to pay if by loving you, we can help you defeat the most evil wizard the world has ever known. Do you understand?”

Harry nodded. The tears in his heart spilled out of his eyes, and he put his head on Lupin’s shoulder. More and more Harry was learning what it meant to be really loved. And the power of it overwhelmed him; it seemed that his emotions were so close to the surface these days. It was more powerful than he could ever have imagined. Perhaps, with power like this being poured into him from those whom he loved, he could somehow use it to defeat Voldemort.

As Harry and Remus sat silently together looking out at the calm waters of the lake, they noticed what appeared to be a large, glittering bug walking towards them. It was Professor Trelawney, wrapped tightly into her shawl, coming up from the lakeshore. She had kept so much to herself since her humiliation at the hands of Delores Umbridge, it was a surprise to see her on the grounds.

“Hello, Sybil,” called Lupin in friendly greeting. “What have you been up to, then?”

Her misty voice came to them as if floating on a cloud. “Refreshing myself and clearing my mind with a walk around the lake.” She stopped beside them, slightly out of breath.

“Would you care to join us for a bit?” inquired Remus politely.

Professor Trelawney sat down on the grass next to them. “Thank you, I believe I shall rest for a short while. Harry, I learned this morning in my crystal that you would be greatly improved today.”

“Umm…” Harry and Remus exchanged a furtive glance. “Thanks, Professor Trelawney.”

She seemed about to speak, when suddenly she went rigid, falling back on the lawn, her eyes staring straight ahead, but unseeing.

“Sybil!” exclaimed Lupin, as he bent over her. “Sybil! Can you hear me?”

Professor Trelawney turned her head and gazed into Lupin’s eyes. A deep voice came from her chest. “Hello, Moony.”

Remus scrabbled backwards across the grass, his face white. Trelawney sat up, and turned to face Harry. He was staring at her, disbelieving. He had recognized that voice, just as Remus had.

“Harry, it’s me “ Sirius.”

Professor Lupin had recovered his senses, and moved to stand between Professor Trelawney and Harry. “Stop it! Whoever you are, you are not Sirius Black! Return Sybil Trelawney at once!”

The Professor got unsteadily to her feet, as did Harry behind Lupin. “I must say,” began the deep, familiar voice, “This body is awfully loose-jointed. Somebody should tell Sybil to start getting some exercise.”

Harry stepped from behind his protector. “Sirius? Is that really … you?” He hardly dared breath as he waited for a reply. He received one in the great, barking laughter that rang through the air.

“Appearances to the contrary, yes, Harry, Remus “ it’s me. It's good to see you both.”

Professor Lupin was still not convinced. “Tell me something only Sirius would know!” he demanded.

Trelawney put her hand to her chin. “Hmmm … something only I would know, eh? Alright. Remember the time we had all been in the Three Broomsticks and I finally got you to try something a little stronger than butterbeer? We had an enlightening discussion about birthmarks, as I recall. James showed us one he had on his knee shaped like a castle, and you dropped your drawers to show us the butterfly on your….”

“That’ll do, Padfoot!” Remus stepped closer to the well-loved voice in Trelawney’s body. He reached out a trembling hand and grasped the shoulder of his friend. “Sirius,” he whispered. “Sirius.” Trelawney placed her hands on Lupin’s shoulders.

“It’s alright, Moony. It’s really me. I’ve missed you.” He released Lupin and turned to face Harry. He held out his hand. “Harry, I’m not a phantom. I'm really here. I've been trying to find a way to get back to you. And I have a message for you from your parents.”

Harry’s legs gave out and he fell to his knees in the grass. His heart was pounding so hard in his chest he could hardly breathe. “Sirius,” he said shakily, “how are you doing this?”

“No idea,” he said. “I knew you were both together, and I needed to talk to you. Sybil presented me with that opportunity, though she seems to have no idea I’m here.” Trelawney sat down beside Harry and smiled. “Harry “ I can’t tell you how good it is to see you. Are you alright? You look pale.”

Harry looked into the eyes of Sybil Trelawney, and found his godfather looking back out at him. He wrapped his arms around Sirius and held on. “I can’t believe you’re really here,” he said, as fresh tears fell on Trelawney’s neck.

“Neither can I. I can't tell you how much I've missed you, Harry. I've been worried about you.” His godfather’s voice broke for a moment, then gathered strength. “Listen, you two, I don’t know how long I can stay. Tell me what’s been happening.”

Harry and Lupin spent several minutes bringing Sirius up to date on the events of the past few months. Anyone watching them would have wondered why they suddenly found Professor Trelawney so interesting, as they sat huddled together on the lawn.

“So Dumbledore thinks he knows who tried to poison Harry?” Trelawney’s eyes had widened in horror, then narrowed in fury when Lupin told him about the recent attempt on Harry’s life.

Remus glanced at Harry. “Yes, but he’s asked me not to tell Harry, Padfoot.”

Trelawney let out an exasperated sigh. “How long is Dumbledore going to treat Harry like a child!” he exploded. “Hasn’t Harry proven himself more than a match for any Death Eater? Hasn’t he fought off Dementors single-handedly? Hasn’t he taken on Voldemort himself?” Trelawney rose and began pacing. He turned to them both. “All right “ let’s go see Dumbledore right now! I’ll talk to him myself.”

Professor Trelawney started across the grounds toward the castle. Harry and Lupin scrambled up after him. “Sirius, wait!” Lupin called. “The headmaster’s not here.”

Trelawney stopped and swung around to face him. “What?" he said vehemently. “Someone’s trying to kill Harry, and Dumbledore just leaves? Brilliant! Doesn’t he realize he’s the only thing standing between Harry and Voldemort?”

Harry put a hand on Trelawney’s arm. “Sirus, it’s okay. I trust Dumbledore. And I know you do too, or you wouldn’t have chosen him as my new guardian. I know it’s hard, having nothing to do but wait for the next move, but we’ve got to listen to Dumbledore. He knows more about what’s going on than any of the rest of us put together.”

Sirius seemed to deflate. “Harry, you sound just like your mother. And Moony,” he added, giving his old friend a sideways glance.

“I think I have become more like my mother this year,” said Harry thoughtfully. “I think maybe I understand her better. And … my dad, too.”

Trelawney put an arm around Harry. “That’s good, Harry. I see the best of both of them in you.” Sirius staggered, and fell to the ground, taking Harry with him.

“Sirius!” cried out Lupin, as he knelt beside them. “What’s wrong? What’s happening?”

“I think my time in this body is nearly over,” he said, his deep voice weakening. “Harry … James and Lilly wanted me to tell you …to tell you, ‘keep fighting.’”

“Can they come back this way, Sirius? Through Professor Trelawney, like you did?”

Sirius looked at him sadly. “No, Harry. They are too long gone. I’m sorry.”

Harry blinked back tears. “Oh…. That’s alright, I understand. Sirius, I wanted to tell you … I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? Sorry for what? You’ve been everything I could have hoped for in a friend, Harry “ and in a son.”

Harry had to continue. “I’m sorry that you had to come to the Department of Mysteries that day. If I hadn’t rushed in, if I had been better at occlumency, you might not of … of…”

“Died? You can say it, Harry.” Trelawney smiled at him. “Harry, my death is not your fault.” He looked to Remus. “Or yours, Moony. It was my time to die, that’s all. If it hadn’t been Bellatrix, it would have been something else. Maybe I would have bored myself to death at Grimmauld Place.” He looked hard at Harry. “It was my time, Harry. Understand?”

Harry nodded, his eyes burning. “Sirius,” he managed. “Can you tell my parents … I love them?” Trelawney nodded, her breathing labored. “And “ I love you too, Snuffles.”

Sirius took a ragged breath. “Harry.” His voice was barely a whisper. “I love you.” He turned his eyes once more on Lupin. “Watch after him, Remus. I’ll … come back and haunt you if you don’t.”

Lupin’s eyes were wet. “I will, I promise. Will we see you again?”

“Don’t … know. I’ll …try …to …come….”

And he was gone.


Thank you for the encouraging reviews. The next chapter is ready to go....Let's find out what's in the mysterious parcel from the Dursleys.
-the author
Secrets by nnnancy
Chapter Seven “ Secrets

Harry and Lupin left Professor Trelawney snoring softly in the grass. They headed back across the grounds to the castle in silence. Harry was thinking about the surprising visit with his godfather. The vestiges of guilt that had remained with him ever since Sirius had fallen through the veil had disappeared like the mist on the lake. Sirius did not blame him. Sirius still loved him. Harry’s heart felt lighter than it had in months. He glanced at Professor Lupin. “Remus? Are you okay?”

Remus let out a long sigh. “Yes, Harry,” he answered. “I am okay. I still can’t believe that we could actually talk to Sirius again. He sounded well, didn’t he?”

Harry agreed. “He sounded just like Padfoot.”

Remus grinned. “Yes. Exactly like Padfoot. Harry, I think I should get an owl to Dumbledore about this. What about you going up to your dormitory for a rest? I did promise Madame Pomfrey I wouldn’t overtire you.”

Harry had wanted to go over to the Quidditch pitch and tell Ron and the others what had just happened, but he was tired, and agreed. Lupin walked him up to the Gryffindor tower and saw him safely inside the portrait hole before going up to the owlery. Harry crossed the deserted common room and climbed the stairs to his room, still thinking about Sirius. As he lay down on his four-poster, something on his night table caught his eye.

It was a small, flat parcel. Harry remembered that Hedwig had delivered it from the Dursleys on Christmas, before he went to the Hospital wing. He hadn’t thought much of it then, and still didn’t, but decided to open it anyway. It was very light “ too light for the threat of socks. He pulled off the paper and opened the box.

Inside he found the last thing he ever expected to receive from the Dursleys. Waving up at him from a photograph was his mother, and Aunt Petunia - both smiling happily with their arms around each other.

Harry was astounded. He lifted the picture carefully from the box. Underneath he found a second photograph “ this one a Muggle photo of an elderly couple sitting together on a park bench, holding hands and smiling. Who were they? Harry turned the picture over and saw handwriting he did not recognize “ “Robert and Christine Evans, 50th anniversary.”

Harry turned the picture over and looked at it again. Yes, he could just make out streaks of red in the woman’s gray hair, and thought he could see green eyes on the man. Could it be - Harry’s grandparents?

He turned his attention back to the other photograph, where the two Evans sisters were still smiling and waving. Aunt Petunia in a wizard photo? Who could have taken it? he thought. He rummaged through the box again, looking for a note of some kind. He found one, written on pale green paper in a feminine hand. It was from Aunt Petunia.


Dear Harry,

I know you will be surprised to receive this. I have saved this picture for a long time, and thought you might now like to have it. It was taken during the summer holidays when Lily and I were 15 and 16 years old. The other photograph is of my parents, your grandparents. Please do not let Vernon know I have given these to you. Happy Christmas.

Sincerely,
Petunia Dursley


Harry stared at the note. Should he write back? No, Uncle Vernon would notice if an owl came swooping through the kitchen window. He couldn’t imagine why Aunt Petunia had given him these photographs. Did she realize how precious they would be to him? And what had happened to make her so angry with his mother for all those years if they had once been such good friends? Harry had been so startled last year to hear that Aunt Petunia knew about Azkaban, and what Dementors were. What else did she know about the wizarding world? Well, about moving pictures, obviously. He wondered if Professor Dumbledore might tell him more about his aunt. Or maybe Lupin would know; he seemed to have known his mother well, maybe he knew about her sister, too. Harry had never thought to ask him.

Harry lay down on his bed and contemplated the mysterious arrival of the photographs. He couldn’t wait to show them to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. They should be back soon….

The curtained room was dark, with only a few candles flickering on the desk for light. Standing before him was a hooded figure of slight build. Harry asked in a high, cold voice, “Well? Is it done?” He was not happy.

“My Lord,” drawled a familiar voice, “it … didn’t go according to plan. He lives, my Lord.” The voice was shaking

Harry was silent in his fury. “How can that be? Tell me, my young disciple.”

“Please, my Lord “ it wasn’t my fault. They found an antidote to the poison.”

“There is no antidote! This is not possible. You have failed me.”

“No!” The drawling voice was panicked now, and the young man before him dropped to his knee. “No, Master, it wasn’t me! He found an antidote!”

Harry’s eyes narrowed. “Whom?”

“It was …it was Professor Snape,” said the figure, bowing his head and sinking to the floor. “Professor Snape.”

“NOOOO!” screamed Harry. His scar burned with fire as his head split apart. He forced himself, through the blinding pain, to remember what he had been practicing with Dumbledore, to remember his occlumency. He took several deep, gulping breaths, and tried to force his mind closed, force the image of Voldemort out of it, force away the hatred. The pain subsided somewhat. Harry tried to stand. He had to get to Dumbledore; he had to find Snape.

Harry stumbled out onto the landing just as Ron and Ginny came into the common room. Ginny took one look at him and flew up the staircase, Ron right behind her. “Harry! Harry, what happened? Ron, he’s white as a ghost! Get Madame Pomfrey!”

“No,” Harry managed. “Snape “ get Snape.”

Ron stared. “Snape? Blimey “ he’s lost his mind!”

Harry calmed with Ginny’s cool hands on his forehead. “No, Ron! Voldemort’s going to kill him. He’s been found out. We have to warn him! Do you know where he is? Was he at breakfast?”

“No,” Ginny answered. “We haven’t seen him since last night.”

“Should we get Dumbledore?” asked Ron as he pulled Harry’s arm over his shoulder.

Harry remembered that the headmaster was gone. He wondered if Remus had been able to reach him by owl. The pain in his head was lessening, but he still felt weak, and was glad for Ron’s shoulder. He tried to think clearly.

“Go for Lupin “ Ginny, you go, you’re the fastest. He was going up to the owlery. Ron and I will go look for Snape.”

Ron swallowed. “We will?”

“Harry “ be careful!” Ginny hugged him tightly and was off like a rocket.

“Yeah, I’ll be careful too, shall I?” called Ron after her.

Harry leaned on Ron. “C’mon. We’ve got to get to Snape before Voldemort does.”

“Right,” said Ron, and they started down the stairs. They met Hermione, loaded down with books, coming through the portrait hole.

She jumped back, startled. “Ron! Harry! What’s wrong? Harry, are you okay? You don’t look at all well….”

Harry cut her off. “Hermione, we’ve got to find Snape. Have you seen him?”

“No, he’s not here. I heard him tell Professor McGonagal he had to go into Hogsmeade to meet Draco and his mother. Draco has to re-take his potions mid-term.”

Harry and Ron looked at each other. “Get the cloak,” said Harry. Ron raced upstairs, with Hermione sputtering beside the Fat Lady.

“The cloak! Harry, what are you talking about? You’re in no condition to go anywhere! What’s going on?”

Ron returned with Harry’s invisibility cloak. “Hermione, I saw Voldemort. He’s going to kill Snape. Dumbledore’s not here and we don’t have any time to waste!”

“You saw him? Harry… are you sure?” Hermione looked skeptical.

“Hermione, I know what you’re thinking, but I know this was different than when I saw Sirius. It’s something Dumbledore taught me; I can’t explain it. And even if I could, I wouldn’t have time.” Harry wrapped the cloak around himself and Ron. Hermione yanked it off again. She looked formidable. “Ron,” she began.

“It’s no good, Hermione. I’m going with Harry. Try to contact Dumbledore; we don’t know where he is.” Ron threw his arm around Hermione and kissed her hard. She looked stunned. Harry looked away. “We’ll be alright,” Ron told her.

“Oh, no, you don’t, Ronald Weasley.” She stepped close to Ron and threw the cloak around all three of them. “Let’s go,” she said.

There was no time to argue. Moving as quickly as they could under the cloak, they made their way to the hump-backed witch, tapped her hump, and entered the tunnel that would take them to Hogsmeade.

Harry’s scar was now just aching dully, and the cool underground air refreshed him enough that he no longer needed to lean on Ron. They jogged through the tunnel, and Harry told Ron and Hermione what he had seen in his vision.

“So you saw Draco bowing to Lord Voldemort?” Hermione puffed between Harry and Ron.

“Yeah,” he answered. “He was the one who poisoned me.”

Hermione went red. “I know.”

Harry nearly stumbled on the uneven floor of the tunnel. “You knew? You knew Draco Malfoy poisoned me and you didn’t bother to mention it?”

“Please don’t be angry, Harry. I really wanted to tell you, but you were unconscious, remember? And last night when you woke up, Professor Dumbledore told me not to say anything. I’ve .…I’ve been following Draco.”

Ron stopped dead. “WHAT? You’ve been following Malfoy? How come I didn’t know anything about this? Hermione, what’s going on?”

Hermione looked near tears. “I’ve been working on a special project. Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagal have been helping me.”

“’Mione, what are you talking about?” asked an exasperated Harry. “We don’t have time for this right now!”

“Maybe I’d just better show you.” Hermione stepped back, and closed her eyes, a look of intense concentration on her face. She seemed to be shrinking, and her brown hair was growing, until it covered her whole body. A fraction of a second later, a brown rabbit with bright eyes and a bushy brown cottontail sat before them on the dirt.

“You’re an Animagus?” cried Ron. “Oh, swell! What else about you don’t I know, Hermione?”

Hermione the rabbit twitched her nose, and sat up on her haunches. She jerked her head towards Hogsmeade.

“She’s right; we’ve got to get going. Hermione, you may as well stay that way for now, okay?” Harry was as amazed as Ron, but knew they had already lost precious time. They hurried on towards the village.

They quietly entered the cellar of Honeydukes, Harry and Ron hidden under the invisibility cloak, Hermione hopping softly behind them. They left the shop without being noticed and made for the train station, where Snape would likely be meeting the Malfoys.

“Looks like the train just got in, must’ve been late,” whispered Ron. “But it’s too crowded; I don’t see Snape.”

“Hermione,” said Harry in an undertone. “Can you get closer to the platform?”

She hopped towards the area where the passengers were disembarking, scanning the crowd. Suddenly, she sat up on her hind legs, her long ears flicking back and forth. She sniffed the air, then rushed up onto the platform.

“She’s spotted him! Good girl, Hermione, now don’t lose him!” exclaimed Harry under his breath.

Harry and Ron flattened themselves against the station wall as the crowd of passengers came their way, most of them Hogsmeade residents returning from holiday, Harry supposed. Then he saw Professor Snape walking past, followed by Draco’s mother. She looked more severe than Harry remembered, but still wore an expression of distaste. Professor Snape was carrying Mrs. Malfoy’s bag, a little brown rabbit unnoticed at his heels. They caught a glimpse of Draco, his head uncovered this time, following Snape with a doleful step. Harry opened his mind to Snape, hoping he would capture Harry’s thoughts. The professor stopped and looked around. “Pardon me, Mrs. Malfoy, I didn’t quite catch that?”

“I didn’t say anything, Professor,” said Draco’s mother, looking startled.

“Hmmm….I beg your pardon.” Snape glanced around again. Harry tried harder to get his attention. He allowed the memory of the vision he’d had earlier to again fill his thoughts. They’re going to kill you….Voldemort sent them to kill you! Harry let down all the walls of his mind to Snape. Suddenly, he felt Snape reply.



I know.
The Malfoys by nnnancy
Chapter Nine “ The Malfoys


Hermione, in her Animagus form, continued to track Professor Snape as he made his way into Hogsmeade, followed by Draco and his mother. Harry and Ron moved as carefully and quickly as they could underneath the Invisibility Cloak, staying as near to Snape as they dared. The Potion Master seemed to be headed towards the Post Office (where there were also carriages for hire), when Mrs. Malfoy stopped him. “I wonder, Professor, whether we might get something to eat before we leave Hogsmeade. I am quite famished.”

Snape looked disconcerted, but recovered quickly. “Of course, Madam. Perhaps you would care to refresh yourself in the Three Broomsticks?” They were standing only a few feet from the door of that establishment.

“Thank you; that would be lovely.” Snape opened the door for his guests and they entered; as Draco passed, Harry saw Snape give him an intense look, and wondered if he was attempting to snare his thoughts. Harry and Ron managed to slip inside just before the door closed; they didn’t notice that Hermione the rabbit was still outside.

Snape and the Malfoys selected a table near the back of the room, where it was darker. Harry felt helpless; he had no idea what to do to protect Professor Snape, or from where the assault on him would likely come. Did Draco’s mother know of Voldemort’s plans to kill him, or was Draco alone sent by the Dark Lord? Could he be carrying more poison, and would he try and slip it to Snape in his meal? There was enough noise in the Three Broomsticks that he felt safe whispering to Ron without being overheard. “Keep your eyes open.” Ron nodded and pulled out his wand; Harry did the same.

Professor Snape and Mrs. Malfoy made small talk as they waited for their food to arrive. Draco seemed unable to speak, and Harry noticed that his expression was grim. He was sure that when Draco joined the Death Eaters, he had not expected to have to turn in the head of his own house to Voldemort.

Harry’s thoughts were interrupted by a nudge on his arm. Ron pointed towards the door, where a tall man in a hooded cloak had just entered. The man was making his way to the table occupied by Snape and the Malfoys. Harry shifted round under the cloak to try to see the man’s face. He needn’t have bothered; the man lowered his hood as he quietly slipped into the empty chair next to the professor.

“Hello, Severus,” said Lucius Malfoy. “So nice to see you again.”

“Lucius,” said Snape calmly. “I was sure I would be seeing you soon.”

“Hello, Narcissa, my dear. Hello, Draco,” he said smoothly. Harry couldn’t tell whether they were surprised to see him or not. “ I understand Headmaster Dumbledore asked you to return to school early, Draco. Whatever for?”

Draco turned red. “I need to retake my potions exam … Sir,” he finished.

“Mmm, I see. Well, that would explain why Severus came all the way out here to meet you, wouldn’t it? Tell me, Potion Master,” here his voice dropped to a dangerous whisper; Harry strained to hear over the buzz of the crowd, “why haven’t you taught Draco all you know? About, say, poisons and their antidotes?

Harry saw Lucius thrust his wand into Snape’s side. He quickly lifted the hem of the cloak that was concealing him and Ron, pointed his own wand at Malfoy, and whispered, “expelliarmus!” Lucius’ wand flew into the air. At that moment, the door of the Three Broomsticks burst open and Hagrid came flying through. Harry had forgotten how quickly the giant of a man could move. He and Ron hastily moved aside as Hagrid rushed headlong towards Lucius Malfoy. Wandless and with Hagrid’s vast expanse bearing down on him like a freight train, Lucius had time only to leap out of his chair and turn to face the giant. Hagrid did not stop his onrush, but landed on Malfoy and pinned him underneath his massive weight.

Draco rose, his hand inside his robes, but before he could make a move Harry had thrown off the cloak and was beside him in an instant, his wand at the boy’s throat “Try it,” Harry hissed in his ear. “Please!” Ron grabbed Draco’s arms and pulled them behind his back, Draco whimpering with pain at Ron’s grip. Hermione appeared out of nowhere, her wand held to Mrs. Malay’s temple before the startled woman could even move. As quickly as it had begun, it was over.

Snape spoke a few words and everything went silent; the movement of the bar’s patrons ceased. It seemed as thought everything had frozen in time, except for the little band from Hogwarts. “Whoooaa,” murmured Ron, clearly impressed.

Hagrid rose from the floor. The wizard that had been pinned underneath him looked decidedly worse for wear. As Harry had seen him do once before, Snape conjured a stretcher, and then swung round on them all with a murderous look in his eye.

“How dare you burst in here where there are a million eyes to see! Any one of these people,” he indicated the crowd with a wave of his arm, “could be part of the Dark Lord’s spies. How long do you think it will take them to report to their master what they have seen? Do you not recall that we are to be operating in secret?

Hagrid looked bewildered. “But, Professor,” he stammered, “Lucius Malfoy was goin’ ter kill ya!”

“I know that, you great oaf! And you, Potter! Do you have no more sense than to expose yourself to the very one who wants nothing so much as your life? Do you think so little of the sacrifices of others on your behalf?”

Harry was furious. He had undergone this dangerous trip into Hogsmeade to warn Snape, gone when he was tired and hurting and weak. He had done this to try and protect a man who cared no more about him than a sparrow fallen to the ground, and here he was being called out by the very man he had helped to save.

“Sorry, Sir,” said Harry coldly. “Next time I get wind of a death threat against you, I’ll be sure to mind my own business.” He lowered the wand he had been holding pressed to Draco’s throat. “C’mon, guys. Let’s leave the professor to take care of himself,” Harry said bitterly.

Hermione looked at Harry with pleading eyes. “Harry, please,” she said, as quietly as possible. “We have to do what’s right, you know that.”

Harry did know that. But he wasn’t sure his present feelings towards Snape would allow him to do what was right. The decision was taken out of his hands when cords burst forth from Snape’s wand, tightly binding the unconscious Lucius Malfoy. Hermione and Ron followed his lead, ropes from their wands restraining Mrs. Malfoy and her son. Snape magicked Mr. Malfoy onto the stretcher, picked up Harry’s Invisibility Cloak from where he had dropped it on the floor, and threw it over him.

“Since you have all been a part of this rescue,” Snape sneered, “I must ask you to all come with me back to Hogwarts. This intrusion must be explained to the headmaster.”

Harry, Hagrid, Ron and Hermione silently followed the professor and his prisoners out of the building. Harry was still angry, but he felt especially bad for Hagrid, who looked as though he might cry. Hagrid deeply respected all the teachers at Hogwarts, and had especially stuck up for Snape when they had thought he was on the side of Voldemort. Snape stopped at the door and again spoke an incantation that released the clientele of the Three Broomsticks from their frozen state (Harry heard him murmur “Obliviate!”), and they went back to their food and drink as though nothing had happened

“We can find our own way back to the castle from here, thank you, Professor,” said Harry, very formally.

“Olympe’s waitin’ fer me down t’ Madame Puddifoot’s”, added Hagrid, reddening behind his black beard. “That’s where Hermione found me,” he whispered confidentially to Harry, who would rather not have known.

“Mr. Potter, I shall not leave you on your own to wander the streets of Hogsmeade. Nor you, Hagrid. You will accompany me to Hogwarts.”

“Sir, the fastest way back is through an underground tunnel beneath Honeyduke’s,” volunteered Hermione. Harry and Ron both rounded on her with eyes wide.

Hermione!” hissed Ron under his breath. “Have you gone mental?”

“Mr. Malfoy needs medical attention, Ron, and quickly. We’ve got to get back as fast as we can.”

Harry couldn’t believe his ears. One of his best friends had just given away their best-kept secret. He was sure to lose the Marauders’ Map now. He couldn’t even look at Hermione, much less speak to her.

They all walked up the street towards the sweet shop. Even Ron would not walk near Hermione; he was clearly as upset with her as Harry was. The little party, with Lucius Malfoy floating along invisibly, managed to get into the cellar without attracting too much attention, and hurried through the tunnel back to Hogwarts. No one spoke during the journey, but Harry, whose anger had not abated, felt Snape try to come into his mind. He closed it off, emptying himself of emotion as best he could, just as Snape had taught him. He had no wish to hear his professor’s thoughts at the moment.

The small band went immediately to the Hospital wing when they arrived. Snape helped Madame Pomfrey move Lucius Malfoy to a bed, then took Mrs. Malfoy and Draco to the dungeons where they would be placed under troll guard, along with the captured Death Eater from Hogsmeade. He instructed Harry, Hermione, and Hagrid to meet him at the stone gargoyle in 15 minutes time. Harry heard the labored breathing of Mr. Malfoy, saw the concern on the nurse’s face, and he grudgingly began to forgive Hermione for revealing their shortcut. They would need information from him, and they couldn’t get it if he were dead. Having a 400-pound giant land on you would certainly be considered life threatening.

They left Malfoy with Madame Pomfrey and headed of to the second floor corridor to wait for Professor Snape. Harry heard Hermione sniffling behind him, and knew that he owed her an apology. But he couldn’t seem to utter one just yet. He noticed Ron was walking up ahead with Hagrid, and he figured this disloyalty was eating at her, even more than his own silence. He had almost decided to say something to them both, when Ginny came flying around the corner, running headlong into Hagrid. She was followed closely by Remus Lupin.

“There, now, watch where yer goin,’” exclaimed Hagrid, who didn’t seem to want to be responsible for any more injuries that day. “Ginny, are ye alright?”

“Hagrid,” she asked, breathless, “have you seen “ Harry!” She had spotted him behind the gamekeeper, and rushed to him, throwing her arms around his neck. “Harry, are you okay? I’ve been so worried!”

Harry gently disentangled her arms from round his neck. Somehow it seemed wrong to be embracing Ginny while Ron and Hermione were not speaking. But he was glad to see her. The last of his brooding anger evaporated at the sight of her worried brown eyes.

“I’m okay, Ginny; we all are. Snape’s okay, too,” he answered Lupin’s unasked question. “We’re meeting him at Dumbledore’s office. Is he back yet?”

Lupin looked relieved to see them all back safely. “He arrived just a few moments ago, and told us what happened. Thank heavens you’re all safe.”

“Hang on “ how did Dumbledore know what happened? He wasn’t in Hogsmeade.”

Lupin disregarded Harry’s question. “Harry, I am astounded that you left the castle without permission, especially in your condition. You promised me that you would keep me informed of your whereabouts at all times!” Lupin’s eyes were locked onto Harry’s, filled with all the dread he’d experienced in the past hour.

Before Harry could say a word, Ron and Hermione jumped to his defense, trying to explain at the same time their need for haste, their concern that Snape’s life was in danger. Remus looked from one to the other, understanding them not at all as they spoke all over one another, joined by Hagrid’s great booming voice. Lupin raised his hands.

“All right, all right! Harry, we’ll talk about this later. In the mean time, we’d better go and meet Professor Snape and the headmaster.”

They continued down the corridor to the stone gargoyle. The statue had already moved aside, and the spiral staircase was slowly winding upwards. They all climbed on for the uneasy ride to the top. Dumbledore’s office door was standing open, something Harry had never seen in all his visits here. They peered uncertainly into the room. Everything seemed in order. Lupin entered, with Hagrid close behind him.

“Professor? he called. “Severus?” Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny came quietly into the headmaster’s office. Harry saw Fawkes sitting contentedly on his perch. The sight of Dumbledore’s bird always made Harry feel calmer. “Hello, Fawkes,” he said. The phoenix flew to Harry’s shoulder and nibbled his ear. A small, silvery insect leaped off of the bird onto Harry’s arm. Harry worried for a moment that Fawkes might have fleas. He needn’t have concerned himself.

The tiny pest jumped off Harry’s sweater onto the floor. As it did so, it began to grow into a silver-haired man in long, midnight blue robes with twinkling eyes. Before them stood Albus Dumbledore.

Ron fell into the chair that was fortunately behind him. “Is everybody in this place a bloody Animagus?” he moaned.

Dumbledore smiled. “No, Mr. Weasley, not everyone. But it is a helpful way of going unnoticed, don’t you think?” He winked at Hermione. At that moment, a bat swooped into the room, and by the time it had landed next to Dumbledore, the silky black wings had become the long black robes of the potion master. Ron slumped further down into his chair and whimpered. Harry was speechless, as was Ginny. Hermione wore a small, self-satisfied smile.

Snape crossed fluidly to the door and closed it. “Now, Potter, do you see why I was in no need of your help? Do you see why you risked your life unnecessarily?” His oily voice had lost some of its edge.

“Harry’s life was never at risk, Severus,” Dumbledore spoke confidently. “Harry, we have been training as many students as are capable, and loyal, to become Animagi. That is the project I spoke of earlier with which Miss Granger has been helping us. She learned quite quickly to transfigure, and has been of invaluable assistance in training other students. In fact, we are hopeful that when the rest of the DA returns, they can all be trained as Animagi. Remus, I’m sorry you were alarmed. I should have told you about all this. Forgive me.”

“No need, Headmaster. I’m just glad Harry was safe. I only wish I could have been more use to you.”

“You are of tremendous ‘use,’ Remus. You are Harry’s mentor, which he needs now more than ever.”

Harry was uncomfortable being talked about like this while he was standing there. “So, there were other Animagi with us in Hogsmeade? Besides you and Hermione, I mean?”

“Our teachers here at Hogwarts have many talents “ not all of which have been revealed to their students. I would prefer to say no more than that. However “ Miss Granger, if you would . . ..”

Hermione pulled a flittering blue butterfly out of her hair. She had been wearing it ever since Ron gave it to her at Christmas. But now Harry saw that it looked different, somehow. She placed it gently on the chair next to Ron. Seconds later, Neville Longbottom was sitting on the arm of Ron’s chair, looking uncharacteristically pleased with himself.

Ron leapt up in disgust. “You!” he wailed. “You’ve been riding around in Hermione’s hair? My girlfriend?”

Neville turned red and started to splutter, but Hermione stopped him. She moved next to Ron and took his hand. “Yes, Ronald, your girlfriend.” She stood on tiptoe to kiss his cheek. “Just remember that.”

Dumbledore, Lupin, Hagrid, Neville, Harry and Ginny all laughed. Professor Snape glared at them all, wrapped his robes around himself, lifted his arms, and a large black bat swooped from the room.



I'd like to thank all those who have submitted reviews. You're all so kind! I'm always open to constructive criticism as well; I'm working on a book and I'd like to improve my writing. Thank you all, Faithful Readers!

Warmly,
the author
Harry and Draco by nnnancy
Chapter Ten - Harry and Draco

Professor Lupin escorted the Gryffindors to the Great Hall for a late lunch; poor Ron couldn’t take anymore revelations on an empty stomach. Harry was feeling well, and hungry. Lupin joined them at their table, and listened to their various accounts of the daring rescue.

“No, Hermione, I was the one who took out Draco,” said Ron. “He tried to fight me off, but I was too strong for him. Beaters have gotta have powerful arms, look here.” He pulled up the sleeve of his sweater to show off his biceps.

Lovely, Ron,” giggled Hermione, as Harry and Ginny tried not to laugh. They had learned that after Ginny found Professor Lupin in the owlery, the pair of them had scoured the castle trying to find Snape, Lupin being assured that Dumbledore would locate Harry. They had even visited the unnamed Death Eater under guard in the dungeon.

“Oh, the man was horrid,” Ginny had told them. “He has the most evil-looking eyes, nearly white they are, and such a foul stench! I was sure I’d lose my breakfast.”

Ron rolled his eyes. “Ginny, d’you have to talk like that at the table? I’m eating!” He shoveled another large forkful of ox tongue pie into his mouth.

“Has he been questioned yet?” Harry asked Lupin.

Remus sighed. “He’s been up in Dumbledore’s office every day since he was brought in, but no one’s gotten anything out of him. The headmaster is still trying to decipher what that glass ball he had is about.”

“Is he certain it’s not a prophecy?” asked Neville, as he finished his treacle tart. “It sure looked like the ones we saw in the Department of Mysteries.” Ginny, Ron and Hermione looked at Harry at Neville’s mention of the place where he lost his godfather, but Harry pretended not to notice.

Hermione answered Neville’s question. “He’s run some tests on it and says he sure there’s something magical inside it, but he can’t make out what. It may even be a new magic that no one’s seen before. That’s why he’s spending so much time with it.”

“New magic? How can there be a new magic? I thought magic was, like, the most ancient stuff there is,” said Ron.

“New magics are being created all the time, Ron,” answered Lupin before Hermione could finish her exasperated sigh. “Take a look at your Chocolate Frog cards: Sacharissa Tugwood, Gaspard Shingleton, Nicholas Flammel “ all inventors or scientists, finding as yet undiscovered potions and magics. Even Albus Dumbledore. And quite likely “ Lord Voldemort.” The group around the table sobered at this thought.

After they had finished their lunch, Remus insisted on taking Harry back up to the Gryffindor tower so he could get some rest. “But I’m fine,” he protested. “Perfectly back to normal, Remus! Can’t I stay with you? I was hoping to take another walk round the lake,” he said, giving Professor Lupin a meaningful look.

“I’m sorry, Harry. I look forward to our lakeside walks as much as you do, but I did promise Madame Pomfrey. Do you think I want her wrath on my head? She may strap me into a bed and pour boiling oil over me “ for my own good, of course.”

“We’ll come with you Harry. We should have a look at our homework anyway; classes start back up in just a couple of days.”

“What happened to your pact, Hermione? I thought we were just going to have fun this holiday,” Ron gave her a superior look through narrowed eyes, which she returned.

“I suppose, Ronald, that my pact flew out the window not 24 hours after it had been made. Besides,” she asked him, “haven’t you been having fun?”

Ron’s ears went pink, and he declined to answer.



Lupin sat with them for a while in the common room. Hermione did indeed make them all go get their homework, and soon she was clucking over their careless mistakes. "Oh, Neville,” she sighed. “This potions essay needs a little more work, I’m afraid. You’ve left out the three most common uses of fluxweed.”

“Fluxweed?” moaned Ron. “I don’t remember anything about fluxweed!”

Harry looked at his pile of unfinished work. He wondered whether any of his professors might give him a little extra time to hand in his assignments, since he was unconscious for several days of his vacation. He was sure Snape wouldn’t.

Suddenly the portrait door into the tower swung open, and they were all surprised to see Filch, the caretaker, climb stiffly through.

“Argus! What a pleasant surprise,” said Professor Lupin. Harry was sure it wasn’t going to be pleasant at all.

“Hrrumph,” puffed Filch. “Potter, the headmaster wants to see you in his office. Now,” he added.

“What, again?” asked Harry, perplexed. He hadn’t often been sent to see Dumbledore twice in one day.

Harry glanced round the common room. “See you guys later, I guess.” Remus stood to accompany him. He calmly walked past the caretaker’s angry stare, giving the older man a friendly pat on the shoulder as he did so. Harry saw Filch draw back, and felt a flash of anger himself - how could Filch, a squib, have any animosity towards a werewolf? He had no grounds for such prejudice, Harry thought.

Harry and Lupin followed Filch back down the stairs, to the second floor entrance of Dumbledore’s office, where they had so recently been. This time the stone gargoyle was in place. “Canary creams,” declared Filch. The gargoyle sprang aside, and Harry and Lupin stepped aboard the spiral staircase for the second time that day. Lupin knocked on the oak door, which opened to admit them.

Again, Harry found Snape in the headmaster’s office. He took one look at Harry and turned to stare out the window, his back to them.

“Harry, thank you for returning, and Remus, I’m pleased you’re here as well. I require Harry’s assistance with something, and I hope you will allow it.” Dumbledore moved from behind his desk to stand beside Harry and the professor. “We have been attempting to question Draco Malfoy. Professor Snape has even tried to reach into young Mr. Malfoy’s thoughts, but apparently someone has been teaching Draco the skills of Occlumency. It has occurred to Professor Snape that your presence, Harry, might be enough to cause Draco to, umm . . . reveal some emotion, thus making it easier for him to catch whatever the boy is trying to hide.”

Harry looked at Remus. “What if his presence causes me to reveal some emotion,” he muttered under his breath to Lupin. Remus gave Harry a small smile, when, from near the window, Snape answered Harry’s murmured question.

“I’m sure such an accomplished Occlumens as Mr. Potter will have no trouble sealing off his emotions from Mr. Malfoy,” he said coldly. Snape was looking unblinking into Harry’s eyes. Harry focused his gaze on his trainers.

“I’m sure Severus is right,” Remus confidently answered. “Harry, what do you think? Can you do this?”

Harry didn’t think he was all that accomplished in Occlumency, but with all of them looking at him, he couldn't refuse. A few minutes later Draco Malfoy arrived, under the watchful eye of the very large, very menacing Kingsley Shacklebolt. Harry hadn’t seen him since the meeting in the Three Broomsticks and didn’t realize he was still at Hogwarts. He wondered how many other members of the Order were concealed in the great castle.

Draco did not look well. He looked, if possible, even more pale than usual. His eyes showed the strain he was under, dark circles hanging beneath. Harry felt not the slightest pity.

Harry stepped in front of Draco; he jumped, startled. Then his eyes narrowed. “What are you doing here, Potter?” he drawled. “Come to watch?”

Harry struggled to keep control of the fury that had immediately sprung to life in him as soon as he saw his long-time enemy. It wasn’t easy.

“No, Draco,” he said, as calmly as he could. “Just bringing you a message for your boss. Tell him he failed, again, and that soon it’ll be my turn.”

Draco turned red with rage. He lunged for Harry, but Kingsley held him back. At that moment, Snape shoved Harry aside and placed his hands on the struggling boy’s temples, and looked fiercely into his eyes. Draco tried to pull away, and his full gaze fell onto Harry.

Harry’s head erupted with pictures, memories that Draco carried inside his head. A small tow-headed boy, his little body covered with bruises, cowering before a tall, blond-haired man, whose face was unrecognizable in his rage. A woman trying to pull him away, only to be sent flying across the room herself. Harry saw an older Draco, one he was familiar with from his first year at school, receiving a tongue lashing from his father on platform 9 and three quarters, his white-blond head bent under the weight of it.

Harry tried to stop, he didn’t want to see any more, but the scenes that were flooding his mind kept coming. Lucius Malfoy and many Death Eaters at the Quidditch World Cup, flames and smoke surrounding them, an admiring Draco walking alongside his father “ until he was lifted high into the air, screaming and struggling, while Lucius laughed insanely. He saw an image of the same man, writhing on the ground with Lord Voldemort’s wand pointed at him, begging his Master to forgive him, to stop the Cruciatus curse that was torturing him, as Draco knelt in the dirt, sobbing. Harry fought to pull away, but his mind was so connected to Draco’s that he couldn’t. He saw the Dark Lord standing over the boy, a hand on his head, welcoming him into the ranks of the Death Eaters, his father standing by proudly. He saw Draco crying again, prostrate before his new master, begging him to choose someone else to kill Snape . . ..

Remus had Harry around the chest, dragging him back, tearing him away from the visions he had seen. Draco was crumpled to the floor, wailing. Harry felt faint, and tried hard to regain his senses; he too was weeping. Remus laid him gently on the sofa, stroking his head and wiping away his tears. The room came back into focus.

“Harry,” Remus was saying, “it’s alright, it’s over. It’s over; you did well, Harry. I’m so proud of you.”

Remus helped him to sit up. Snape and Kingsley were half leading, half-carrying Draco out of Dumbledore’s office. The headmaster approached Harry, looking shaken.

“I’m so sorry, Harry, that you had to go through that. Apparently Draco panicked at the idea of Snape seeing what was in his mind, and as you were nearest and had the ability, he latched on to you. Are you alright?”

Harry took a quick inventory. Aside from a headache and his trembling muscles, he was physically fine. But his mind was reeling with all he had seen. He had never felt the slightest bit of sympathy towards Draco, but now, this. He had thought he had it rough at Privet Drive.

“I’m alright, Professor. Did . . . anyone see what I saw “ you, or Professor Snape?”

“I saw it, Harry,” admitted Remus Lupin. Harry turned around to face him.

“You?” he asked, his eyes wide.

“Yes. I’m a Legilimens, Harry. I’m sorry I never told you before. Even Sirius didn’t know.”

It took Harry a moment to respond. “I should have known. You always seem to know what I’m thinking.”

“I don’t have as good a control over it as you do, Harry. Sometimes I barge into people’s thoughts without intending to. Not really a gift that adds to my popularity,” said Lupin ruefully.

“So then . . . you saw it, too? What was in Draco’ mind?”

The professor nodded. “Horrible,” was all he said.

“Harry,” said Dumbledore, “I’m sorry to have put you through this.”

“It’s okay, Professor. It was probably something I was supposed to see. I can understand Draco better now.”

A look of admiration crossed Dumbledore’s face. “You are learning, Harry. You are beginning to harness the Great Power of which I told you. A man like you, with your gifts,” Dumbledore said to him, “will certainly be able to defeat the Dark Lord - when it is time.”
Warning by nnnancy
Chapter Eleven “ Warning




Harry lay in his bed that night with his mind spinning. He had told his friends what had happened in Dumbledore’s office. No one was exactly surprised that Draco had been mistreated since he was a baby - it explained a lot of things. Still, as Ron pointed out, “Draco’s responsible for his own actions, his own choices. Just like you are, Harry. Sure, there’s a prophecy that says you’ll kill V-V-Voldemort, or he’ll kill you, but in the end, you get to decide what you’ll do, just like you made the choice to ask the Sorting Hat to put you in Gryffindor when it said you’d do well in Slytherin.”

This statement had led to a fierce debate between Ron and Hermione, with Ginny pitching in on both sides. Harry’s brain had been aching, and he didn’t participate much “ it was all he could do to keep up. Hermione had said that hearing a prophecy meant you were bound to fulfill it. She thought it had something to do with the “ancient magic” Dumbledore spoke of, kind of like keeping a promise, or the execution of a contract. Ginny called it fate. But whatever it was, Harry was tired of it occupying space in his head right now. He was so tired; he just wanted to sleep.

He finally fell into a fitful slumber, punctuated by dreams of Lucius and Draco Malfoy. When he awoke the next morning, he felt like he had not slept at all. After breakfast (during which Harry dozed off in his eggs), Hermione suggested heading back upstairs to finish their schoolwork. Neville had already hurried up to the library to look up something for McGonagal - they were supposed to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse when classes resumed. The rest of them moaned.

“Oh, Hermione,” pleaded Ginny, “ it’s such a lovely day outside. Couldn’t we have a walk first, before you sequester us away in that old tower?”

Hermione compromised, and agreed that they should bring their assignments outdoors into the sunshine. Soon they were all traipsing across the grass in the bright winter morning. They took a seat near the lake. The fresh air revived Harry a bit, and he tackled his potions essay first, careful to include what he knew about fluxweed. But he couldn’t help looking down to the lake, hoping he might see his old Divination teacher out for a stroll.

A few students had returned to Hogwarts early to get a leg up on their homework, too. There were small clusters of students also taking advantage of a warm day in January to be outdoors. As Harry looked around, he saw his friend Remus ambling across the grounds towards them. “Good morning, Gryffindors. Getting some last minute research in, eh?” he asked cheerily.

Harry was about to ask for Lupin’s help with his essay, when, without warning, he felt his scar ignite with blistering agony. He rolled over on the ground, retching and gagging. Remus was kneeling beside Harry in an instant. He felt cooling hands on his head. He forced emotion from his mind, focusing instead on the gentle fingers smoothing away the pain from his scar. He opened his eyes, expecting to see Lupin’s worried face, but instead he saw Ginny, her brown eyes filled with concern. Remus hovered behind her, his arms supporting Harry’s shoulders as he shook in the grass.

“Harry! Harry, are you alright?” Harry could see them, could almost hear them, but another sound was ringing through his head “ a high, cold, cruel laughter. He was laughing, laughing like he was demented, like he was mad. “Harry! HARRY!" Strong arms pulled him upright, strong hands forced his head up “ and slapped him smartly on the face. The ringing laugher stopped abruptly, and left Harry panting for breath.

“Voldemort,” Harry gasped; “Something's happened that he’s really pleased about! Where’s Dumbledore? Where’s Snape?”

Lupin pulled Harry to his feet; he could see Ron and Hermione’s white faces nearby. “I think they’re both in the headmaster’s office; they were going to try and get some information from Lucius . . ..”

Harry staggered towards the castle. “They need help,” he croaked. “We have to hurry!”

Professor Lupin grabbed the tottering Harry, and shouted instructions to Ron, Hermione and Ginny, who shot off across the lawn. He then pulled out his wand and muttered something, and a silvery shadow “ Harry thought it resembled a wolf “ flew out of the tip and disappeared towards Hagrid’s cabin. Harry was taking deep, calming breaths, trying to get the image of Voldemort out of his head. He and Lupin started as quickly as Harry could manage towards the school.

Hagrid met them at the door, armed with his crossbow, and Fang at his side. Harry remembered another time Hagrid had been summoned in the same way, and he seemed just as menacing now. “What’s the matter, Perfessor?” he growled.

“Trouble in the headmaster’s office, Rubeus. Keep quiet as you can, alright?”

They entered the great doors, slipped quietly through the entrance hall, and moved up the stairs. They met Ron and Hermione in the second floor corridor.

“Professor!” exclaimed Hermione. “We can’t find any of the other teachers!”

“Or students,” added Ron. “The castle’s deserted!”

“Don’ be ridiculous, Ron. A bloody great castle can’t be deserted!” Hagrid peered around them as if expecting to see a crowd of students hiding in the shadows.

“Really, Professor,” said Ginny earnestly. “We haven’t seen anyone!”

"I believe you, Miss Weasley. All keep together now, wands at the ready. Keep a sharp lookout, the lot of you. Harry, alright there?”

Harry had regained most of his balance, and his scar was only a dull ache. “Yeah, Remus, I’m okay. Let’s go!” They all stepped silently down the hall, Lupin in front, Hagrid bringing up the rear. Harry tried not to think about Hagrid’s loaded crossbow directly behind him.

They reached the stone gargoyle. Just as before, the statue had already moved aside. Harry knew their need for caution, but his desire for urgency was making his heart pound. Something was very wrong up those stairs.

Lupin had just climbed aboard the spiral staircase when a hand touched Harry’s arm. Startled, he leapt forward into Ron, who fell into Hermione, who stifled a scream. Harry quickly turned, his wand readied, prepared to do battle with Lucius Malfoy. But it wasn’t Malfoy. It was . . ..

“Perfessor Trelawney?” Hagrid asked. “What in blazes are you doin’ here?”

The former teacher opened her mouth, but a husky male voice spoke. “ I saw you run up to the castle; thought you might need some help.”

“Sirius!” Harry threw his arms around his godfather; he felt a tremendous sense of relief. Sirius would know what to do.

“S-Sirius?” rasped Ron. Hermione was standing on tiptoe, her mouth hanging open Ginny started to cry. Hagrid fainted. Remus stepped off the staircase and moved to embrace his old friend.

“Harry had an attack, Sirius. There’s something going on in Dumbledore’s office, and it appears the castle itself is empty.”

Trelawney’s glittering eyes focused with concern on Harry. “Harry, are you hurt?”

“I’m fine, Sirius, but the people up those stairs may not be “ we have to get up there!”

“Alright, you three wait here, Moony and I will go up first. Wait for our signal before you follow us.” Sirius made for the revolving stairs.

“Uh, Sirius? Are you sure you can even do magic in that body? Professor Trelawney’s not exactly known for her skills as a witch,” Hermione asked, some of the color coming back into her face.

Sirius felt the around the folds of Sibyl’s robes and shawls, and finally produced a wand. He took aim at a nearby suit of armor and cried, “Reducto!” The metal exploded into dust. Professor Trelawney faced them with a triumphant grin. “Guess this’ll do, eh?”


“Wonderful, Padfoot. If anybody is up there, they surely know they have visitors!” Remus looked furious with his friend.

Sirius leapt over the sleeping Hagrid and on to the moving steps. “Better not keep them waiting any longer, then,” he said with a flourish. Lupin climbed on behind him. With a stern look at his young charges, he commanded, “wait here!”

Ron stared after them, still confounded. “That . . . that was really Sirius,” he stuttered. Hermione and Ginny were on their knees beside Hagrid, who was coming round.

“Oooo” Hagrid moaned, “did ya see that? Perfessor Trelawney sounded just like Sirius Black!” The big man got unsteadily to his feet.

“It was Sirius, Hagrid,” said Hermione as she tried to steady him. “Well, mostly....”

Harry could wait no longer. He jumped upon the winding staircase, straining his ears to hear any sounds of battle. All was silent. He stopped at the open door, careful to keep in the shadow as he peeked around the frame. What he saw stunned him.

The office was demolished. All of Dumbledore’s instruments, his furnishings, the numerous books and bookshelves “ all destroyed. He stepped into the room with Sirius and Lupin, who were staring open-mouthed at the office walls. Harry looked up, and felt his jaw drop as well.

The portraits of all the former headmasters of Hogwarts hung silently over his head. The frames were intact, the canvases undamaged. But they were empty. Every one of them was vacant, their subjects vanished.

Sirius began calling their names. “Phineas! Professor Dippet! Everard! Where the devil are you?” he thundered.

Harry heard a collective gasp behind him as the others entered the room. He saw tears in Hagrid’s eyes, which quickly turned to fury. “Malfoy did this,” he rumbled.

“We don’t yet know who did this, Hagrid. We need to keep our heads, and try to figure out what has happened,” said Professor Lupin. His attempt at calmness was belied by the quaver in his voice.

Ron bent down to examine something he had found on the floor. “Professor, look.” He reached down to pick up a sparkling shard of glass on the floor. Then he vanished.

Hermione screamed. Harry ran over to where Ron had stood. Even though he had just seen his best friend disappear, he could not believe it had happened. He knelt down to see what Ron had been holding.

“Don’t touch those!” shrieked Ginny, as Harry’s fingers moved towards the broken glass scattered on the floor. He jerked his hand away from the strangely glittering slivers. “Don’t you see? Those must have come from that glass ball that Dumbledore was so interested in! I’ll bet Malfoy broke it while he was up here, and it made everybody disappear, just like Ron.”

Lupin looked skeptical. “I’ve never heard of any magic that can empty an entire castle with one spell, Ginny. We don’t even know that Lucius made it up here; he might still be in the Hospital wing.”

“No,” Sirius’ voice interrupted. “I checked the Hospital wing while I was looking for you. It was abandoned.”

Hermione joined the others kneeling on the floor. “That’s got to be it! Remember, Professor, when you were telling Ron about ‘new magics’ being invented all the time? Voldemort must have figured out a way to make a portkey that would transport everyone within a given area. That’s why people inside the castle are gone, but those who were outside were unaffected.”

“Sooo . . . if we touch one of these shards of glass, we’ll go where the others have gone?” Harry looked at his godfather. Trelawney’s face was set.

“Sirius, no!” Lupin had grabbed Trelawney’s shoulders and spun her around. “You can’t go. You have no idea what will happen to you in that body. I’ll go.”

“So will I,” said four voices at once. Sirius turned to Harry.

“Absolutely not, Harry! I forbid it.” The voice coming from Trelawney was fierce. “This can’t be anything but a trap for you. Lord Voldemort is counting on you finding a way to where ever he is. You cannot go.”

Remus agreed. “He’s right, Harry. You’ll have to stay. If we don’t come back, you’ll need to go for help. Use the fireplace to contact the Order; see if anyone’s at Grimmauld Place.”

Harry wanted to argue, but knew they were right. He also knew he wasn’t ready to face the Dark Lord and win. But his Gryffindor heart couldn’t bear watching his friends go to face dangers unknown while he just waited quietly.

Sirius and Harry watched the others kneel down, ready to take a shard of the broken sphere. His eyes met Ginny’s. “I love you,” she whispered.

Harry’s vision blurred. “I love you too,” he murmured quietly.

“We don't know what we might find when we get to where ever we're going, so be prepared. Wands at the ready,” said Lupin. “NOW!”

They were gone.
Battleground by nnnancy
Chapter Twelve - Battleground






The waiting was unbearable. Even with Sirius to wait with him, Harry was out of his mind with worry, pacing impatiently across Dumbledore’s office and back again. He had already attempted to contact the Order at their headquarters, but as Harry had expected, there was no one to be found. He presumed they were all either here at Hogwarts or in other locations, trying to find what Voldemort was planning. He joined Sirius in trying to restore the wreckage that had been left behind.

“Harry, settle down,” said his godfather, as Harry accidentally snapped a lampstand in half as he placed it, none too gently, on the headmaster’s desk. “They’ll be alright. Moony’s as fine a wizard as I’ve ever seen; he’ll take care of them.” Professor Trelawney placed a caring hand on Harry’s shoulder. Harry shrugged it off.

“Sirius, we don’t know what they’re facing or where they went! I can’t believe I let my closest friends go off to . . .to who-knows-where.” He was deeply regretting not insisting that he be allowed to join them. “What if they don’t come back?” Harry voiced the gathering fear that was growing inside him.

Sirius, in Trelawney's body, now placed both hands firmly on Harry’s shoulders. “Harry, listen to me. You cannot help them if you’re dead. The best thing you can do for your friends now is to not walk headlong into the trap that has been laid for you. They’ll be kept alive as bait, as long as the Dark Lord knows he doesn’t yet have his prize “ you, Harry.”

“How can you stand to just wait here,” Harry raged at his godfather. “Don’t you care if they live or die?” Harry’s throat burned with angry tears as he glared at Sirius behind Trelawney’s eyes. To his astonishment, he saw tears begin to form there as well.

Sirius spoke in a tortured voice. “I care, Harry. Believe me, I care very much.” He turned away and strayed to the window. “I care so much that I can’t let you do something that would endanger all of you “ like I did, when I left Grimmauld Place that night and went to the Department of Mysteries to try and rescue you. All I accomplished was getting myself killed, and leaving you without the guardian your parents had chosen for you. I broke my word to them, Harry. I promised I would always watch over you, and now here I am in a body not my own, unable to stay with you or help you, only able to offer you empty words. If I had listened to those who were wiser than I, I would still be here for you, still be able to help you, when you need me now more than ever. I’m . . . I’m sorry, Harry.”

The voice coming form Trelawney had been growing feeble, and Harry saw Sirius stagger backwards. He was beside his godfather in an instant.

“Sirus, I’m sorry. You can’t blame yourself. I know you didn’t want to leave. It’s not your fault!”

Sirius leaned heavily against the wall. He looked at Harry, his body weakening, but his eyes blazing. “No, Harry, it isn’t. Everything that has happened - your parents, Cedric, the Longbottoms “ It’s Voldemort, Harry. Voldemort. Remember that. And when the time comes for you to face him, remember what he’s done to you, to me, to all of us. Beat him, Harry. Kill him. Listen to Dumbledore, listen to Lupin. You’re a powerful wizard, Harry. I know you can do it. I’ll be . . .w-watching.”

Harry knew he was losing his godfather yet again. He helped Trelawney to the floor as Sirius’ strength gave out. “Harry,” he whispered, “I don’t think . . . Sibyl . . . will let me in . . . anymore. She doesn’t . . .seem . . .to enjoy . . .my company.” Harry nodded, tears clouding his vision. He dashed them away with one hand.

“I’ll miss you, Sirius,” was all Harry could manage to tell him.

“I’ll find another way.” Harry could hardly hear him. “I’ll see you . . . again.”

Professor Trelawney closed her eyes and laid her head in Harry’s lap. The shallow breathing grew deep and steady, and Harry knew that his godfather had gone back behind the veil.




Harry sat for a moment, thinking about what Sirius had said. He knew his godfather was right “ about some things. Harry gently pushed the sleeping professor’s head from his lap and stood up. He glanced around the dismantled office, looking for anything he could use. He found nothing intact. He bolted from the room, raced down the staircase, and ran as fast as he could towards Gryffindor tower.

He returned a few minutes later, panting and out of breath “ and carrying his Invisibility cloak. He stopped to recover, leaning against the headmaster’s desk, when he noticed a perch laying on its side. Fawkes! thought Harry. He was not sure how to summon the bird, but he remembered how the Phoenix had come to him down in the Chamber of Secrets when he had defended Dumbledore in his second year. He concentrated on Dumbledore as hard as he could, focusing on the fact that the headmaster was in danger.

It worked; Fawkes came swooping gracefully through the open window. Harry was never so glad to see him. “Fawkes,” he said, holding out his arm for the bird. “Fawkes, Professor Dumbledore’s in trouble! Can you go to him? And . . . can you send me a signal if he needs me?” The Phoenix nodded his brilliantly plumed head, and fluttered into the air. In a flash of fire, he was gone.

Harry didn’t have long to wait. In only a few moments, a golden feather appeared in a small burst of flame and slowly drifted downward. Harry caught hold of it and slid it carefully into his pocket. Then he approached the shards of magical glass still littering the floor. Wrapping the Invisibility cloak tightly around him, he pulled out his wand, took a deep breath and reached for a piece of glass.

The familiar jerk behind his navel told Harry that Hermione’s theory about the portkey had been dead on. Swirling colors rushed by him as he fought to keep his hold on the cloak, hoping he could arrive wherever he was going undetected. Sooner than he expected he felt himself crash land onto a hard dirt floor. He rolled three times and stopped.

Harry opened his eyes and immediately checked that he was still invisible. His hold on the cloak was firm; it was wrapped tightly around his body. He struggled to sit up, and tried to take in his surroundings.

Harry had never been in a place like this. It was a huge underground cavern, so large he couldn’t see the other side. Dim light was provided by several lanterns floating in the air near the dome of the cave. Stalactites and stalagmites grew from the ceiling and floor, forming columns in several places. The reflection of the lights on the distant side of the underground chamber told Harry that there was a large lake in that direction. Could he possibly have landed at the lake underneath Gringotts Bank? He knew it was supposed to be miles under the earth. He recalled seeing the chamber rush by on his first journey to the bank vaults.

His attention was diverted from these questions to something more immediate. The sounds of battle were carried to him as he scrambled up and secured his cloak. He moved quickly over the smooth cave floor towards the sound. He found himself on a small ledge overlooking an immense open area. Below, a great contest raged. Harry could see Death Eaters everywhere. Teachers and students fought side-by-side. He slid down the embankment and ran to help. As he got closer, he could see several figures unmoving on the ground “ some, dark-cloaked Death Eaters, but Harry could not see their faces. It looked like some were students.

High above, a clear golden light was shinning down on one of the combatants “ Professor Dumbledore. Harry remembered how fearsome his headmaster had looked when he was fighting Voldemort, protecting Harry at the Ministry of Magic “ he looked twice that frightening now. Over his head soared Fawkes, lighting his way as he battled three Death Eaters at once.

Harry pulled out his wand and began silently stunning the Death Eaters nearest him, whispering his incantations so as not to give away his position under his Invisibility cloak. All around him he heard the familiar voices of his professors and fellow-students.

“Expelliarmus!”

“Protego!”

“Impedimenta!”




Harry moved closer to the center of the fray. Mad-Eye Moody was dueling furiously with someone Harry recognized, Rodolphus Lestrange. A whispered "stupefy" and Lestrange was down.

Moody looked around, and his spinning magical eye landed squarely on Harry, underneath his cloak. “Good man,” muttered Mad-Eye, before turning to help little Professor Flitwick, who had just propelled two adversaries through the air, and left them floating near the cavern ceiling.

Harry spotted Ron and Hermione, working together to cast every conceivable jinx on the young Death Eaters closing in on them “ Draco Malfoy, with his ever-present body guards, Crabbe and Goyle. Hermione had just cast jelly-legs at Goyle, Crabbe was on the ground with a white feather (“Rictasempra!”) tickling him senseless, and Malfoy dropped to his hands and knees and began noisily vomiting slugs. Clearly, Ron and Hermione didn’t need his help.

Then Harry spotted a figure on the ground he recognized. Professor Snape lay face down on the dirt, his long black hair unmistakably identifying him. Harry rushed to him, silently praying that he wasn’t dead. He rolled the heavy form over; Snape was still breathing but looked bad. Harry whispered, "Ennervate", to no effect. He looked quickly around; no one appeared to be watching. He grabbed hold of Snape’s ankles and dragged him back behind a pillar, wedging him into a concealed crevice between the rocks. It took much huffing and puffing, and Snape’s robes were ripped and tattered by the time Harry felt he was safely hidden. Then he rushed back to the battle.

After stunning and binding a few more Death Eaters, Harry finally saw the red head he had been searching for ever since he arrived. Ginny Weasley was dueling with the Death Eater that had been caught on Christmas Eve; he was still wearing his purple cloak. She was doing brilliantly; the big man’s legs were ferociously dancing the Tarantallegra before Ginny stunned him. Harry murmured, “Incarcerus!” and thick cords flew from his wand to bind the dancer. Ginny spun around to see from where her help had come, but Harry, though he wanted to, knew it wasn’t yet time to reveal himself.

Harry was in the thick of it now, and could see that Hogwarts' students and teachers were forcing the remaining Death Eaters into the center of the fray, surrounding them. He was very near to Professor Dumbledore; Harry could see his blue eyes flashing. His wand was moving so quickly that it was a blur. The headmaster was battling Lucius Malfoy, who had a terrible look on his face, and a wand that was cutting the air just as quickly. Harry thought about trying to hit Malfoy with a spell, but was afraid of hitting Dumbledore; the two were dancing about each other with footwork Harry had never seen.

Dumbledore seemed to have sensed Harry’s presence; he took his eyes off his opponent for only a moment. Seeing his opportunity, Lucius thrust his wand at the professor’s heart. With reflexes only a Seeker could have, Harry leapt out in front of Dumbledore as Malfoy screamed, “Avada Kedavra!” Green light flashed; with a fearful cry Fawkes the Phoenix dove for Malfoy and sank his talons into the man’s face, forcing him back.

Harry felt a terrific jolt of electricity course through his body. He felt himself falling, falling . . . like in a dream, he heard the words of the curse Malfoy had aimed at Dumbledore. He could hear his attacker howling with pain as Fawkes sank his sharp talons into the Death Eater’s flesh. Still he was falling. And then he heard something else . . .

“Keep fighting . . . .” It was his mother and father. For the briefest of moments he saw them standing together. “Harry . . .keep fighting.”

“It’s not your time, Harry. Get up. Finish what you’ve started. . . .” The shaggy black head of his godfather slowly faded from view.

Harry rolled over and struggled to his feet. His body was smoking; there was no more Invisibility cloak. He was standing in the center of a small crater. The cavern walls were rumbling, the floor was shaking, and in the distance, the sound of the great stalactites splashing into the lake.

To his left he heard a scream. “Nooooo! It’s not possible! He cannot be alive!” Harry turned to find Bellatrix Lestrange staring at him from the edge of the crater, her eyes wide with fear. Next to her on the ground lay Remus Lupin.


Harry bellowed in rage, and aimed his wand. “Crucio!” he roared. But before the curse could touch the Death Eater, Dumbledore had appeared between Bellatrix and Harry, and deflected the spell with one of his own.

Bellatrix ran. Harry, incensed, sprinted after her. He heard Dumbledore shout, “Stupefy,” and down she went. Harry was almost on top of her when she vanished “ along with the fifty or so other Death Eaters in the cavern. He spun wildly, looking for her. Then he whirled on Dumbledore.

“WHY DID YOU STOP ME?” Harry thundered. “She’s gone! We could have had her, and now she’s gone!” Harry thought he might physically harm his headmaster; he took a step back.

Professor Dumbledore looked at him with sad eyes. “She’s not worth it, Harry. She’s not worth destroying yourself.”

“What? I had her, Professor! She didn’t even have her wand out. She couldn’t have cursed me!”

“No, Harry, she couldn’t have. But you could have cursed yourself. Harry, only your heart can stop Voldemort “ only a pure heart. Hatred for Bellatrix will poison it, Harry. You must not let that happen.

Harry blinked. He understood what his guardian was trying to tell him. But it didn’t make it any easier to give up his fury. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, using what he had learned to force the angry emotions from his mind, from his heart. It took several attempts before he felt calm enough to look the professor in the eye. When he did, he saw tears sparkling there. “I’m proud of you Harry,” the headmaster said quietly. “You have won today.”

“Harry,” a feeble voice behind him spoke. Harry turned to find Professor Lupin, supported by Kingsley and Professor Vance.

“Remus!” Harry shouted. He moved to hug his friend, but Kingsley put up a hand.

“He’s pretty badly hurt, Harry. Gentle, okay?”

“I’ll take him,” said Harry, slipping underneath Lupin’s other shoulder and replacing the Dark Arts professor. “Remus,” he said, looking into the eyes of the man who had taught him so much; “Remus, I . . .” He couldn’t finish.

Professor Lupin had an odd, gray pallor to his skin. “It’s alright, Harry,” he said weakly. “I’m going to be fine. Madame Pomfrey has seen me look worse than this.”

Professor Dumbledore had assembled the students and teachers. Harry could see that Remus wasn’t the only one in need of Madame Pomfrey’s services. Neville had obviously been the victim of a jelly-legs jinx, and Terry Boot had severe burns on his face and hands. Professor McGonagal’s robes were in tatters, and she was leaning heavily on Professor Sinistra. Suddenly Harry remembered.

“Snape!” he cried. He gently helped Kingsley set Lupin on the ground, and ran for the pillar where he had concealed the professor. Ron, Hermione and Ginny broke away from the others and followed him when they saw him run off. Aside from some bruising (and a steadily blackening eye on Ron), they were unhurt.

Ron helped Harry pull Snape from his hiding place; he was still unconscious. Harry thought he looked a little worse than when Harry had placed him there. Professor Dumbledore joined them, and knelt down to examine the unmoving professor.

“It looks like he took an Obliviation spell,” said the headmaster grimly as he lifted Snape’s eyelids and peered into his lifeless eyes. “I’m afraid I can’t tell how much damage has been done.” He rose heavily. “We must get the wounded back to the castle. "Mobilicorpus,” he intoned, and Professor Snape floated upwards and followed Dumbledore back to the group of waiting injured.

Professor Dumbledore turned to Harry and Ron. “Please give me your shoes,” he asked them as he took off his own. They looked at each other questioningly, but complied. He piled them with his own on the cave floor, then, “Portus.” The other teachers had been putting the students into groups; Dumbledore gave each group a portkey, beginning with the most critically injured.

Finally, when all the others had been safely sent back, the headmaster turned to Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny.

“In all my years at Hogwarts, I have never seen any fight as bravely as you four did here today. You were fearless. You will receive 100 points, each, for your house.”

“Thank you, Professor,” Hermione said with a sad smile. “But it’s not about points anymore, is it?”

Dumbledore sighed. “No, my dear girl. It is not. You have proven yourselves able warriors in this battle against the Dark Lord. And I would like to ask you all “ with your parents’ permission, of course “ to officially join the Order of the Phoenix.”

They looked at each other soberly. “Thank you, Sir. We’d be honored,” answered Harry for them all.

“And now, I would like a private word with Harry, if I may.” The headmaster handed Ron, Hermione and Ginny one of his curly-toed shoes. “Please go to the Hospital wing and tell Madame Pomfrey that I will be there directly.”

Professor Dumbledore took off his half-moon spectacles and polished them on his robes as the others departed with his shoe. Then he looked at Harry. He seemed to have difficulty finding words. Before he could speak, Harry plunged ahead with what he needed to say.

“Headmaster, I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t have used the Cruciatus curse on Bellatrix. That was really stupid. I can’t even do it properly anyway. I was just so . . . so angry after what she did to Sirius, and then to Remus; it was the first spell I thought of.”

Professor Dumbledore smiled. “Thank you, Harry. I must confess it was also the first spell I thought of when I saw her standing so near to you. But that’s not what I wanted to talk about.”

“It isn’t? Then what . . . ?”

“Harry, how did you know to send Fawkes to me?”

Harry thought. “I . . .don’t know, Sir. I just remembered how he helped me before and thought maybe he could help you.”

“He was more help than you could have imagined, Harry,” said the professor. “You probably saw the mess in my office. We were questioning Lucius Malfoy and the other Death Eater. Professor Snape was attempting to reach into Malfoy’s mind when his companion broke free and grabbed the glass sphere on my desk “ foolish of me to leave it where he could reach it. I had hoped one of them could tell me what it was. The man smashed the ball to the floor, and we all were transported here. I couldn’t believe it when I saw all the inhabitants of the castle were here as well, and bound hand and foot, just as we were.”

Professor Dumbledore started to pace; Harry had to follow him to hear what he was saying. “Every Death Eater I’ve ever heard tell of was here waiting for us, Harry. Well, actually waiting for you. When Fawkes appeared, a tremendous light shone from him; it was something I’ve never witnessed. The Death Eaters were temporarily blinded, and our bonds broke loose. In my wildest dreams, I never imagined that my students would have to fight for their lives.”

“Professor, how did all the Death Eaters vanish? A lot of them weren’t even conscious, and most of them were tied up.” Harry hated knowing that so many of them had gotten away.

“I expect it was a spell similar to the one in the glass ball, Harry. A spell Voldemort used to draw his followers to himself if Bellatrix went down, or perhaps Lucius. Which brings me to the question I really wanted to ask you “ how are you feeling?”

After everything else, the question took Harry by surprise. “What? Oh “ I’m fine, Sir. A little banged up like everyone else, I suppose . . . .”

“Harry,” said the headmaster, looking straight into his green eyes, “you do realize you were hit with a killing curse?”

What with worrying about everyone else, Harry had actually forgotten. “Oh,” he said. He could think of nothing else to say.

Professor Dumbledore put a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “My boy,” he said throatily, “you didn’t have to do that. But I thank you that you did. You saved my life, Harry.”

Suddenly the memory of his parents, of Sirius, came rushing back. He tried to tell Dumbledore. But all that came forth was a low, moaning sob. Dumbledore pulled Harry close, wrapping him in his own cloak. He picked up the last remaining portkey and took the grieving child back to Hogwarts.
Lessons by nnnancy
Chapter Thirteen “ Lessons




Harry felt himself being lifted into strong arms. He knew he was only barely conscious; images of the battle played in his mind. He was carried down to the Hospital wing, and placed gently on a bed. He felt his glasses being removed (how in the world had they survived intact?) and a blanket laid over him. A warm, soothing potion was put to his lips; he drank. He heard a beloved voice. “You’re safe now, Harry. Rest. Rest. . . .” His thoughts slipped peacefully away.

When Harry awoke, the sun was fading; a brilliant pink and gold light was filling the room. Harry opened his eyes and found his glasses on the bedside table. There, dozing in the chair by his bed, sat Ginny. Her red hair was bathed in the sunset light. She looked like an angel. Harry didn’t want to wake her. He could hardly believe this sweetly sleeping creature was the same witch who had so recently vanquished several Death Eaters down in the caverns, fighting as fiercely as any warrior.

While Ginny slept on, Harry glanced around the room. Every bed was filled, and those who were not as badly injured were helping Madame Pomfrey attend to the wounded. Harry felt well enough to get up. He quietly slipped out of bed, gave his slumbering princess a kiss on the forehead, and went to see if he could help.

He found Hermione sponging down a feverish Professor Lupin. “Harry!” she squealed when she saw him, and put her arms around him. They held each other a long time. Hermione stepped back to appraise her friend. “Harry, should you be up?” She spoke in a whisper so as not to disturb the professor.

“I’m fine, Hermione. Really,” he added at her skeptical look. "How’s Remus?”

Hermione’s brow furrowed. “Madame Pomfrey’s given him several different potions. She says one of them is causing this fever, but I don’t know, Harry. He doesn’t look good, does he?”

She was right. Professor Lupin still had the gray look he had worn in the underground chamber. He was very still. Harry sat down next to him on the bed. He took Hermione’s cloth and began cooling Lupin’s face. “Remus,” he said softly. “I’m so sorry. Please don’t die, Remus. I need you.” His tears fell on the professor’s face. Harry wiped them away with the cool cloth. He felt Hermione’s reassuring hand on his shoulder.

“I’m sure he’ll be okay, Harry,” she said. He nodded.

“Have you heard anything about Snape, Hermione?” Harry asked, rubbing his eyes.

Professor Snape, Harry.” Dumbledore had joined them at Lupin’s bedside. “How are you feeling, my boy?” The headmaster looked tired, but Harry remembered how the older man had effortlessly carried him down to the Hospital wing earlier, and knew that Dumbledore had reserves of strength the rest of them could only wish for.

Harry looked into the eyes of the greatest wizard in the world, and saw love, understanding, and a great deal of compassion. “I’m fine, Professor. Better than ever.” Harry knew his heart had been changed by his experience at the underground lake. He found that, although he could never forgive Bellatrix Lestrange, his heart had not been poisoned with hatred of her. All he felt now was love for his friends, these people who had become his family.

Dumbledore nodded. “Well, as for Professor Snape “ I’m afraid it’s too soon to tell, but I choose to remain optimistic. Severus has a strong mind, and if he saw the spell coming, he may have been able to protect himself before it hit.

“Has he been sent to St. Mungo’s?” Harry remembered his old professor, Gilderoy Lockhart, behind the locked doors of the closed ward.

“No, Harry; we don’t feel St. Mungo’s is a safe place anymore. They’ve had too many dealings with Lucius Malfoy to be trusted.”

The name Dumbledore spoke brought a memory back to Harry. “Professor “ I had a dream about him when I was sleeping earlier!”

The headmaster gave Harry an odd look. “Lad, I gave you a potion for dreamless sleep. You couldn’t have had a dream.”

Harry lowered his voice. “I don’t think it was a real dream “ I think it came from Voldemort.”

“But Harry, didn’t your scar hurt?” asked Hermione.

“No, that’s what’s weird. But I saw Lucius Malfoy lying on the ground in front of Voldemort. He was bleeding pretty badly, and Voldemort was punishing him, making him an example. Professor,” Harry spoke even more quietly, “I think Malfoy is dead.”

Dumbledore cast his eyes to the floor. When he spoke, his voice was heavy with sorrow. “What about Draco, Harry? Could you tell what happened to him?”

Harry searched his memory for a glimpse of his long-time rival. “No, Sir, Draco wasn’t there. I’m sorry.”

“That’s alright, Harry. It is curious that you felt nothing in your scar. Were you aware of any emotion from the Dark Lord?”

Harry closed his eyes and concentrated, the effort creasing his brow. He shook his head. “Nothing. What do you think it means, Professor?”

“I don’t know, Harry. Perhaps the potion I gave you clouded your encounter with Voldemort, or perhaps the link between you is weakening. But let us not worry over this now. There are other’s here who wish to visit with you.” Dumbledore inclined his head, and Harry turned to find Ron at his elbow, sporting a most magnificent black eye.

“Ron!” Harry grabbed his friend, both of them grinning like fools. Then Harry held Ron at arm’s length for a better look. “How’d you get that, Mate? It’s brilliant!”

You were bloody brilliant,” returned Ron. “What made you dive in front of that killing curse? I thought you’d gone mad!”

Harry shrugged. “Dunno “ just seemed the right thing to do, I guess. Besides, according to the prophecy I’m bloody well invincible, aren’t I? Just as long as it’s not Voldemort throwing the curse.”

Hermione gasped. “Oh Harry, don’t even joke about that!”

“Lighten up, Hermione,” said Ron. “I think if anyone’s earned the right to joke about Voldemort, Harry has.”

“Hey, you said his name! And you didn’t even faint,” said Harry.

They all laughed.



Harry and the others helped in the Hospital wing until long after dark. Ginny had awakened and found Harry. She pulled him behind a screen and gave him a long, lingering kiss. Harry’s heart soared. He knew, whatever lay ahead, that he had Ginny’s love, and the love and care of all his loyal friends.

Harry and Ginny stayed with Professor Lupin, sitting together on the edge of his bed. His fever had broken, and Harry thought his color was a little better. But he still had not stirred, nor opened his eyes.

Many of the injured students and teachers were starting to come around. Neville was begging Madame Pomfrey to get out of bed “ he still had to finish his potions essay for classes the next day. She informed him that Professor Dumbledore had postponed classes for one more day, in light of all that had happened. This news was greeted with cheers all around the room “ except from Hermione, who looked extremely disappointed.

Harry jumped when Professor Lupin spoke. “Can’t a man get any sleep around here?” he muttered.

“Remus!” Harry leapt up from the bed. “Ginny, get Madame Pomfrey “ hurry!” Ginny went to find the nurse, while Harry knelt down next to Professor Lupin. He reached up and brushed the graying hair out of the pale man’s eyes.

“How’re you feeling, Remus?” Harry asked, when Lupin was able to focus blearily on him.

“Like I’ve been run over by a hippogriff,” he answered. His eyes perused Harry, and for a moment he focused more clearly. “You took a killing curse, Harry. How did . . . ?”

Harry replied to his unfinished question. “Dumbledore reckons it’s because of the prophecy,” he said simply.

“Ah, of course.” The professor settled back onto his pillow.

Harry cleared his throat. “Remus, I was so worried about you. I was afraid . . .”

“...that I’d gone to join Sirius? Not yet, Son. But “ I saw him, Harry. For just a moment, I saw him. He told me ... that it wasn’t my time.”

Harry could only nod.




* * * * * * * *





It was getting late, and none of them had eaten in several hours. Dumbledore invited those who were able to come down to the Great Hall for a makeshift feast, promising to send food up to those still kept prisoner by Madame Pomfrey.

Harry found it difficult to leave the valiant friends who had fought so willingly beside him. Everyone in the Hospital wing, it seemed, wanted to talk to Harry, to touch him, to wish him well. How things have changed from only a year ago, Harry thought. But then, he had changed, too.

“Harry,” Ginny said from beside him, as she piled creamed turnips onto her plate, “have you noticed anything unusual about this feast?”

He looked around. “You mean besides that it’s under-populated?”

She laughed. “No, silly. Look again.”

Harry scrutinized the Great Hall. Then he realized.

Students from all different houses were sitting together. Ravenclaws at the Hufflepuff table, Gryffindors sitting next to Ravenclaws “ even a few Slytherins had joined the other tables. Harry gave a low whistle.

“You’ve done it, Harry,” said Hermione, with tear-bright eyes. “Remember what Professor Dumbledore said about how we need to stand together? How we all need to accept each other’s differences to fight the war against Voldemort? Just look!”

Ginny laid her head on Harry’s shoulder. “We’re going to do it, you know, Harry. We’re going to win.”

He smiled down at her. “I know. C’mon,” he said, grabbing his plate. “Let’s go sit with the others.”

“Wha’?” said Ron, his mouth full to six times its normal capacity.



Harry had just finished his treacle tart while listening to Justin Finch-Fletchly explain how he happened to be growing roses from his ears (“Madame Pomfrey says they should be gone by morning”), when Professor Dumbledore approached him.

“Harry,” he said, “you have a visitor waiting in my office. As soon as you’re done with your meal, could you join us there, please?”

“Sure, Professor.” Harry looked at the others. “I wonder who could be visiting me? Everybody I know is already here.”

“Maybe it’s the new Minister of Magic, come to give you the Order of Merlin,” joked Ron. Harry punched him in the arm.

“Must be Rita Skeeter for the Daily Prophet. Red-Haired Prefect Defeats 1000 Death Eaters Single-Handedly.

Ginny nudged him. “Well, you’ll never know if don’t get up there, Harry!”

He pushed aside his plate. “Guess I’ll see you up in the common room, then.” Harry headed up to the headmaster’s office for the third time that day. Had it only been just this morning that they had found it in such disarray? It felt like a week had gone by.

Harry arrived at the great oak door and knocked. The door swung open and he stepped inside. The first thing he noticed was that Dumbledore’s office was back to normal; the former headmasters and mistresses were all sleeping peacefully in their frames on the wall, and Fawkes was roosting quietly on his perch. The second thing he noticed was....

“Aunt Petunia?” Harry stood, rooted to the floor. Aunt Petunia, here? Harry felt sure that the sky outside must have turned green, and the lake had dried up. His aunt, here at Hogwarts, was just as unlikely.

Aunt Petunia's voice sounded odd, strained. “H“hello, Harry. I expect you’re surprised to see me.” She fiddled with the gloves in her hand, and seemed to have a hard time looking Harry in the eye.

Professor Dumbledore spoke. “Harry, I notified your aunt that you had been injured, and she asked to come and see you.”

“Oh.” Harry was still confused. Why would Aunt Petunia care if Harry had gotten hurt? “Well, I’m . . .I’m fine.”

“Oh, well . . .good. That’s good.” She looked as awkward as Harry felt. To his relief, Dumbledore stepped in.

“Why don’t you both sit down? Petunia, may I offer you some tea? Or perhaps brandy?”

Petunia sat stiffly in the chair the headmaster offered. “Yes, please “ brandy, thank you.”

Harry could still not figure out why she was here. Then all at once he remembered the photographs she had sent him, and the note. He wondered whether Dumbledore had sent her any more letters after last year, and what they might have said.

Petunia sipped her brandy nervously. Professor Dumbledore produced a plate of biscuits, and left them on the table between Harry and his aunt. Then he excused himself to go “check on the students in the Hospital wing.” The closing of the door sounded like the echo of a tomb.

Harry spoke first. “So . . .how’re Uncle Vernon and Dudley?” he asked her.

“Fine . . . they’re fine. They don’t know I’m here,” she added.

“Umm . . . Aunt Petunia, why are you here?” Harry asked gingerly. He felt as if he were treading on eggs.

She set her glass on the table and looked directly at Harry for the first time. “As your headmaster told you, I wanted to see that you were all right.” Her eyes lingered on his face.

“But . . .why?”

Petunia rose from her chair and paced nervously. “Harry, I know I’ve not treated you well in the past. Things have been . . difficult . . .for me. I’m not the monster you think me. Or . . .maybe I am.” She returned to her chair and sat down heavily, her hand over her eyes. Harry had to ask her.

“Then . . . why did you? Not treat me well, I mean.” He wasn’t sure she would answer, but she did, her head down, her eyes hidden.

“When you appeared on our doorstep that night, Harry, everything I had worked so hard to achieve just disappeared. I had spent years pretending that the magical world didn’t exist, or that even if it did, it had nothing to do with me. I could never compete with Lily. She was beautiful, smart, compassionate. And our parents’ favorite. Look at me. I was always just ‘plain Petunia.’”

“The photographs you sent “ you and my mother were smiling, happy. You didn’t always hate her, did you?”

Petunia’s eyes met Harry’s once more. “No. No, Harry, I didn’t always hate her. In fact, when we were girls together, we were great friends. We did everything together. Then she got that. . .that letter, and off she went to Hogwarts. We stayed close, even so. She wrote to me often. She told me about James, how she was falling in love with him. And she told me about the Dark Wizard who was starting to cause trouble. She wrote that she and James were joining a special group to fight against him. And she never came home after that. Even when my parents died in a car crash, she never came home.”

Harry could hear the bitterness in his aunt’s voice. He wasn’t sure he wanted to hear any more, and yet was riveted by her words.

“I knew about the war. I knew about You-Know-Who. I knew your mother and father were fighting against him. Our parents had been so proud of her, bravely going off to battle. My father “ your grandfather “ had come from a Wizarding family. His father had been a squib, and married a Muggle. His brother “ I never learned his name “ had done some terrible thing that landed him in Azkaban.” Petunia looked up to face Harry. “That’s how I knew about the wizard prison. My great-uncle was never spoken of in our family, except in whispers."

Now that Harry's aunt had begun telling him of her connection to his world, she seemed unable to stop. She's kept it all a secret for so long, Harry thought. It must be a relief for her to finally tell someone.

“I knew that I didn’t want anything to do with magic or the Wizarding world. Lily never knew how much my parent’s missed her, how badly they wanted her to come home. She never knew how much they worried about her. It aged them. I was the only one there to take care of them when their health started to fail. Then . . .the crash.” Her voice lowered to a whisper. “He was looking for her that night. Voldemort. He tried to get to Lily through our parents. He did some kind of magic, and the car they were in just . . .blew up. There was nothing left.”

Harry couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “Voldemort murdered your parents?”

Petunia’s whole body sagged with the weight of grief. “Yes,” she choked.

She was like him. She was just like him. Harry never knew. “Aunt Petunia “ I’m sorry.”

“Harry.” She reached out a hand to him, and he took it hesitantly. “I’m the one who should be sorry. I was so angry with my sister for getting herself killed. I missed her so much. I was afraid if I let myself care about you, that I would only get hurt again. Especially since I knew you were The Boy Who Lived. I was angry that you survived and my sister didn’t. Can you ever, ever forgive me?” She was crying now. Harry had never seen his aunt cry.

Harry swallowed. Forgive her? Forgive her for fifteen years of brutality? For fifteen years of neglect, of poverty, of starvation? Of loneliness? He didn’t know if he could.

He heard a rustle of soft wings, and Fawkes settled himself on Harry’s shoulder. Harry saw tears in the eyes of the Phoenix. He reached for the bird, and transferred him to his aunt’s lap, much to her surprise. Fawkes put his face up to the crying woman, and let his tears fall on her heart. She looked up at Harry, startled.

“I do forgive you, Aunt Petunia.”

Harry had not heard Dumbledore re-enter the room. He crossed silently to his desk and sat, beaming at both of them. Petunia smiled tentatively back.

“I see you two were able to have a good talk,” the headmaster said.

Harry looked at his aunt. “Yes, Sir,” he said with a smile. “A good talk.”

“Excellent. I trust it will not be the last. Harry, I’m sure you will be pleased to hear that Severus is awake, and seems to have his memories intact. He asked me to thank you for him.”

Harry's eyes closed with relief, and fatigue. He was glad of this news, but didn’t know how much more he could take in one day.

“And now, Petunia, I have something I have wanted to tell you for many, many years. Your sister asked me not to give you this news until the proper time, because she was afraid it might put you in danger. It seems to me that the proper time has now come.” Dumbledore leaned over his desk and looked intently into the eyes of Petunia Dursley.




“You, dear woman, are a witch.”




Harry returned to the common room that night with glazed eyes. He could only stare at Ron, Hermione and Ginny when they asked him about his visitor.

Ginny took his hand. "Harry? Are you okay? What is it?"

Harry looked into her brown eyes, so full of concern. He brushed her flaming hair back and answered, "nothing, Ginny. I'll tell you in the morning, okay?"

"Looks like Christmas break is finally over," said Ron, as he struggled with the last few lines of his essay.

"Yeah," Harry said, flopping into an armchair by the fire. "And I hope we never have another one like it."



The End
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5437