A New Day by hallie_p
Summary: The battle has ended and Molly takes a few moments to reflect on both the past and the future.







Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1017 Read: 1993 Published: 08/18/06 Updated: 08/25/06

1. A New Day by hallie_p

A New Day by hallie_p
Author's Notes:
This is my first go at fanfic so please review and let me know what you think!


The sun rose on a dismal scene. Trees and grass were blackened and smoldering, the remains of a recent fire. Red blood dotted the ground, and a gray haze hung in the air.


And yet the rays of light brought joy to her heart as she made her way through the rubbish. It was the dawn of new day. No longer must she live in fear; no longer must she fret with worry. The darkness had passed; the battle was over; and they had won.


She paused for a moment as she watched yet another soul being carried in for aid. It had been a hard battle and many had died, and yet she could not help but smile with relief. Somehow, against all odds, her large family had all made it through. They were bruised and battered, true, but they were all alive.


She scanned the grounds, searching for her youngest two and their two best friends. She had seen them limp away from the battle field hours ago, and yet they still had not appeared in the hospital wing. She was afraid that their injuries were keeping them from being able to seek aid.


She headed towards the lake, hoping to find them there. She passed a beech tree and smiled as she remembered her and Arthur sharing their first kiss in the shade of that tree so many moons ago. Her Arthur had fought so bravely, but she had not expected any less of him. He had dueled Death Eaters left and right and had gotten the better of most of them. All her children had fought just as bravely, from Charlie right down to Ginny. At the time she was so scared, but now she could not be prouder. Never again could anyone truly say that her family was a disgrace to the name of wizardry.


They were not by lake and Molly began to worry more. Perhaps the few remaining Death Eaters had returned to avenge their fallen master. Perhaps they were all lying somewhere in great pain. She picked up her pace as she headed back towards the castle. As she searched along the walls, images of the battle flashed back to her.


She was rushing around the hospital wing, tending to the wounded while the battle raged on the grounds. Frequently she would glance out the window towards the action of the battle counting as best she could, the number of red heads she saw still standing. She easily found six, but where were the other two? Her eyes frantically scanned the scene searching. And then she saw them. Her babies with Harry and Hermione battling Death Eaters fiercely. She watched as Harry fell to his knees clutching his forehead in pain. At first she did not understand, but then she saw him. Lord Voldemort’s red eyes were flashing with certainty. Molly watched in horror as he tortured her only girl. But then something happened. It appeared as if Harry showed Voldemort something that changed the look in his eyes from triumph to fear. A few seconds later a flash of green light ended it all. His Death Eaters all over the battlefield froze in terror as they realized their master’s defeat. In their second of hesitation many were stunned or killed, but a few managed to escape. And just like that the battle had ended.


A few minutes later a loud bang had her back at the window. It only took her a second to realize that the noise was that of fireworks. Her mischievous twins were quick to begin the celebrations. Blues, reds, yellows, and oranges filled the night sky. One even proclaimed in bright green letters, “IT’S OVER!”


She came around the corner of the Great Hall and at last she had found them. They were all sound asleep, smiles still spread across their battered faces. Ginny was curled up in the arms of The Chosen one, while her baby boy held Hermione so tight it looked as if he would never let go. Tears of joy ran down her face. Finally, after years of danger, these four would get a chance to live in peace. Finally, they would be able to live and to love without fear.


“Molly?” She turned to see her husband coming towards her. As he got closer she motioned for him to remain quiet, and when he reached her, he pulled her into an embracing hug. As his eyes found the four sleeping teens, she whispered, “I could not wake them. They looked far too peaceful, and you know they deserve a good rest.” Arthur nodded in agreement and he then led his wife away from the castle and back down to the lake.


The sun was higher in the sky now and they walked in silence until they reached the shade of that special beech tree under which they had shared so many wonderful memories. Arthur sat against the tree and she sat next to him, wrapped in his arms.


“Can you believe we all made it?” she asked as he softly kissed her cheek.


“It seems impossible still,” he whispered into her ear. She smiled and snuggled closer to him.


“I have a feeling we will be having at least two more weddings soon,” she said and she smiled in spite of herself. Arthur pulled away and looked her in the eye.


“And would that be a bad thing?” he asked while stroking her cheek.


“Well, they are young,” she considered. “But they seemed to be made perfectly for each other.”


Arthur chuckled. “Just like you and me,” he said with a twinkle in his eye. He then pulled her in close for a long, slow, wonderful kiss; the kind of kiss they had not shared since the dreadful war had begun. And though they knew they should return to the castle soon for there were many who needed attending to, they could not help but spend a few more wonderful moments under that beech tree, embracing each other as friends, as lovers, as husband and wife.


This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56410