Trust by blackhairedweasley
Summary: Neville is tired of being considered worthless. He's tired of being the one without respect. But respect comes with a price.



One of the 2nd place winners for the Gauntlet's 3rd run.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 8973 Read: 8783 Published: 11/11/06 Updated: 11/17/06

1. The Spy by blackhairedweasley

2. The Inside by blackhairedweasley

3. The Glasses by blackhairedweasley

4. The Betrayal by blackhairedweasley

The Spy by blackhairedweasley
Author's Notes:
The following chapter contains Prompts 1 - 4.
Trust


Part 1 of 4 – The Spy




The young man at the age of twenty rubbed his hands along his exposed arms. The air was bitterly cold inside the small abandoned shack, but at least they were sheltered from the wind outside.



“How much longer do we have to wait?” he asked his friend as he breathed warm air over his stiffening hands.



“Not much longer,” Harry Potter replied. “You're sure you're ready for this, Neville?”



“Even if I weren't,” He began, cursing himself for not bringing his cloak, “I would still be doing it, so what does it matter?” Another shiver went down his spine, but it wasn't from the cold. To think, he, Neville Longbottom, the son of Frank and Alice Longbottom, would have a dark mark on his arm that night.



Harry said nothing. This remark was not one that his classmate would have made were they back at Hogwarts. The few years after their graduation had been long and hard, and Neville certainly showed it. The once round-faced, plump boy had slimmed down, his face bearing a sunken, hollowed look. Neville was, like many of his Gryffindor classmates, an active member of the Order of the Phoenix. It had been a long time since the Order's spy had murdered their leader, and the Order had gone long enough without a replacement for the traitor.



For the last two years a young Slytherin named Graham Pritchard has been preparing to join the ranks of the Death Eaters. At the same time, Neville had been learning all he could about the Slytherin. His family history, friends, career aspirations, pets, everything. Memorizing this would have been hard enough, but it wasn't enough. If you wanted to fool the Death Eaters, you had to keep the greatest Legimens in recent history out of your head.



Neville was jolted from his thoughts as the door opened, two young women coming through. One had bushy brown hair sticking out either side of her hood, the other's freckles were visible even in the thick darkness of the now crowded room.



“D'you have it?” Harry asked.



“Yes,” the brunette named Hermione Granger responded, handing a flask to Neville.



“Pritchard is in Mad-Eye's trunk,” The other, Ginny Weasley, said while lifting the hood off her head. “Don't worry about him showing up,” she finished as the flaming red hair that Neville loved came into view once more. He wondered when he would be able to see it again.



“Okay,” Harry said, “Their meeting spot is a few kilometers from here. You know exactly where to go?”



“Yes,” Neville said. Harry then shook his hand, and Hermione and Ginny came forward to embrace him before he left.



“Don't forget this,” Ginny said and pulled the Slytherin's cloak over his shoulders. She then pulled him into another embrace, this one tighter than the last. Neville thanked her sheepishly as he unscrewed the cap from the flask.



“What have I got myself into?” He asked himself, then lifted the flask of polyjuice potion to his lips.



As he neared his destination nearly an hour later, Neville knew what awaited him. He knew that if he did not focus he would be killed straight away. Neville stopped to rest against a tree, hesitating. The thought of having his mind probed, picked at, was absolutely horrifying, even without the secret he was desperately trying to keep hidden. With a heavy reluctance, Neville took in a shaky breath, then continued on.



There was no going back now.



***



“Bring him in,” said the hooded figure near the door. Neville stood and walked forward uneasily. This was it. On either side him stood the Malfoy father and son, Lucius and Draco, both covered in their masks. Behind him was his former professor, Severus Snape, and before him stalked the one he hated most of all, Bellatrix Lestrange.



Knowing what lay ahead, Neville emptied his mind of any thought, feeling, or emotion. This was a particularly difficult feat considering the woman standing before him as good as killed his parents.



“Kneel!” Snape spat, at which the Malfoys shoved him to the ground. Then he appeared, the air seemingly fleeing from the room in fear of being breathed into his lungs. His white skin, that snake-like nose and those red eyes that Neville remembered from years before.



“Look into my eyes...” his voice hissed icily. Neville, his heart filled with immeasurable terror, looked up and into them.



His eyes were more horrible than he remembered. Every move, no matter how slight or minute, was felt inside his head. Neville worked desperately to keep his mind clear. He forced his eyes to stay locked with those cold and merciless red orbs before him.



Then the Dark Lord stood back, eying Neville with a curious expression.



“Draco,” he breathed deleteriously, “where did you find this boy?” Neville knew what was coming. As discretely as possible, his hand enclosed tightly around his wand, which lay concealed in his sleeve.



“My lord,” Draco began, “He was a classmate of mine and he reminded me of me a bit—”



“Clearly,” the Dark Lord almost laughed. “His head is emptier than any other I have seen.” He walked around to face Neville once more and pointed his wand at his throat. “His mind wasn't even worth searching. It was a waste of my time.”



Neville struggled to keep his mind clear in his presence. The tip of his wand coming along his neck to his chin, then followed his jawline along his cheek in an almost playful manner.



But the wand was lifted away.



“But that doesn't mean I may not still use you...” He took Neville's left arm and slid back the sleeve, but was then in excruciating pain. He felt the white hot knife drawing into his arm, ripping through his skin, and then it all stopped.



“Welcome, young Pritchard.” The Dark Lord said as Neville looked down upon his arm.



Underneath the fresh coating of blood lay the mark he remembered from his childhood. The mark that cost him his parents.



Neville looked up from his bloody arm with the brown eyes that were not his. The Dark Lord was still towering over him, a look of satisfaction played across his face.



“Now, Pritchard,” he hissed, “what services or information will you be able to bring me?”



Neville faced his ultimate test at that very moment. He was weak from the marking, but had to keep his mind clear. Tempted though he was to spout the first bit of chicanery from his head, he had to come up with an acceptable answer, and quickly, or face the consequences of the omnipotent being before him.



“I-I have information,” Neville began. “Information about those working against you, my lord.” The Dark Lord's face grew cold as he drew unbearably close to Neville's face.



“The Ministry?” the Dark Lord breathed. Neville felt his cold breath run against his face and smelled a bloody stink on his breath.



“No,” Neville responded. “The Order of the Phoenix.” The Dark Lord considered him for a moment, his eyes darting inside Neville's mind once more. Neville allowed his passage to see what he knew. He knew about new members of the Order; about future plans and positions.



Neville couldn't help but fear for the worst. He kept his right hand enclosed upon his wand. With luck, he might be able to hit Bellatrix Lestrange before the Dark Lord hit him.



But the Dark Lord returned his gaze to the others. He made one last glance around the room, then at Neville. With a swift turn he marched to the entrance from which he came and left them all to ponder their new member.



“Everyone out!” Snape bellowed through the crowded room. Neville stood, cradling his left arm, still bleeding freely. However, just as he was the last to reach the only door, Snape held out an arm to stop him.



“Not you,” he said acidly and with that, slammed the door in his face soon followed by the sound of hundreds of locks latching shut.



Neville turned around to find that the dark ambiance from earlier had changed. The walls were now lined with candles, the room bare save for the crimson curtains on either side of the door behind him. Neville didn't know what to do. His eyes ran marathons around the room, but to no avail. Candelabras, stone wall, velvet curtain. Candelabras, stone wall, velvet curtain. Candelabras, stone —



But then there was smoke.



A thick stream of black smoke seeped inside from between the cracks of the door. The smoke collected in front of Neville as he stood before the door and began to trace out words.




Neither right nor wrong, the barrier will be.


The slightest touch will bring the key.


However, make haste in timing your act,


for soon your veins will be painted black.





Neville worked to memorize it quickly before it dissipated, but the smoke did not leave. It grew thicker and thicker, bringing itself all the more closer to a frightened and confused Neville. But then a bit of the smoke brushed against his bleeding arm and he was once more enveloped in pain. He watched in horror as the crimson became tainted and shaded to a deep violet.




Acting quickly, Neville ran to the other side of the room. The smoke was growing ever more, but at least he prolonged his time to think.



Neither right nor wrong... Neville thought with a grimace. The pain was excruciating. Neville's gaze searched blindly around the room for any kind of clue, but just as before, there was nothing but candelabras, stone wall and the velvet curtain.



Another jolt of pain went up his arm. Neville looked down to his arm once more. Any more and there'll be nothing left. Neville's eyes went wide with shock.



Neither right nor wrong, the barrier will be.




LEFT!
he thought.



Neville took one look around the room and found what could be the only left in the room. With a deep breath, he ran forward through the smoke and ripped back the left side of the curtain. Seeing the wall behind it, he began running his hands wildly over the bricks until the brick closest to the door sank within the wall.

After his fingers disappeared into the wall to the second knuckle, the brick stopped. Feeling perplexed, Neville pulled his hand back to be surprised with it pushing back against his fingers. As he withdrew his hand, the brick extended from the wall by a few centimeters, before coming to rest. Neville grabbed it and ran to the other side of the room.



Once out of the smoke, he could see his arm bleeding again, this time in the form of a black, oily liquid dripping down his left arm and covering his hand.



Rubbing the blur from his eyes, Neville examined the brick to find a hole in the opposite end. Inside was a small and raggedy-looking bit of parchment, but before he could pull it out, he let out a harsh cough which left more black liquid in his palm. Then, with a shaky breath, Neville looked down at the parchment.




Those unafraid of their place of rest


worry not to complete this test


For those accepted are true and sure


of what is always the most pure


Your first clue is a negative that always exists,


but may also be a few traitors in our midst.


The second clue may be done with hope,


but is better seen with a muggle from a rope.


The final clue is easy to find


when conquest is kept in mind.




Great,
thought Neville. Just hang on...



He reread the first clue, racking his brain. Positive and negative, Neville thought again, good and bad... pro and con! A traitor is a con man! Okay, done with hope... muggle from a rope... Neville coughed the black blood again and shook his head. His eyes were starting to blur and black out.



I'll come back to that... Easy to find with conquest in mind. Victory... Win... He couldn't feel his left arm anymore. Con... Win... Wait, it says “traitors,” so maybe it's 'cons'. His eyes began to tear up. Upon wiping the tears away he found his right hand coated black. Oh God, just hang on... Hang on! Hang! That's it, hang!



Cons... Hang... Win! Of course, what is always the most pure!




“CONSANGUINE!”
The Inside by blackhairedweasley
Author's Notes:
The following contains Prompts 5 - 7, the last being the humor prompt which contains alcohol abuse
Trust
Chapter 2 – The Inside

The door blasted off its hinges and four figures sprinted inside. One of them siphoned the smoke inside its wand as the other three scooped Neville off his knees and into their arms. Within seconds he was carried out of the room and the figures set him on a camp bed in the other room. The haziness was beginning to subside, but with it came the pain in his arm once more. Neville became severely aware of this as one of the figures then pulled his sleeve up forcefully examined his arm.

“It looks like you got out of that one just in time,” The figure before him said. “Any longer and we would have had to remove it,” he finished this statement giving his arm a playful shake.

The jolt of it all hit Neville hard. The more he felt the pain in his arm merely reminded him of the terror he had just faced. He couldn't get those eyes out of his head. Those cold merciless eyes raping his mind as their owner ripped his wand through his flesh.

Neville looked down at his arm, afraid of what he might see. He was shocked to see his black blood being wiped away, leaving the dark mark in its thick black form. The smoke not only proved a necessary initiation test, but it was what gave the mark its horrifying look upon a death eater's arm.

Neville tilted his head back on the sofa in which he lay, but after a moment of rest, a voice that was not one he had heard moments before came into his head.

“Neville?”

The cold, harsh voice that was taunting him in his pain and barking orders at the others was now replaced by one filled with warmth, though at the moment it bled with fear.

“In here,” Neville heard himself say. He looked around, slightly shocked to find himself in the room he slept in the night before. The door opened to reveal long red hair that was even visible in the thick blanket of darkness. Ginny walked into the room to find Neville sitting on his bed, his back against the headboard and one knee lifted up from the bed, providing an armrest as he read his thick book in the moonlight.

Ginny said nothing, but simply looked at him. Neville returned the gaze only momentarily before returning to his book.

“So that's it, then?” Ginny suddenly burst out. Neville looked up to find that she had crossed the room to the foot of his bed. “We're not even going to talk about it?”

“What's there to talk about?” Neville asked calmly.

“Why didn't you tell me you were going to go through with this?” Ginny asked furiously. “Ron knew! Harry knew! Hermione knew! Even Luna knew! Everyone but me!” She was in tears now and Neville knew why. Yes, he deliberately told her nothing.

“It wasn't your concern,” Neville said. Why do I have to go through this again? He thought.

“Wasn't my concern?” Ginny repeated. “I am a member of this organization!”

“McGonagall told me to only inform those I deem TRUSTWORTHY!” His last word rang in the silence. Ginny's mouth hung open, aghast at the statement she just heard.

“You're saying you don't trust me?” she whispered.

“Caught on, have you?” Neville spat. Was I this horrible to her? He thought again.

“When have I given you reason not to?” Ginny pleaded with him.

“Maybe in our sixth year, the night Dumbledore died.” Ginny said nothing to this as Neville continued, “I told you to cover me and you just sat there. If Harry hadn't given us Felix that night, that curse Malfoy shot at me would have hit me dead on.”

“I told you that I was sorry,” Ginny whispered desperately, her eyes gripped shut to stop her blinding tears from falling.

“Oh, yeah, that's always enough for you!” Neville said. “ 'Oh, I didn't mean to nearly get you killed, Neville!' Just like you 'didn't mean' to make me feel worthless in our fourth year?” Ginny's face grew hot.

“You're still bitter about that?” She said furiously! “Is that why you've acted this way to me?”

“Well, that and the fact that I'd trust your assistance in battle about as much as I do Ron with a broken wand.”

“I can't believe you!”

“Do you even care,” Neville said savagely, “about how you make me feel? No, because you don't know what it's like to think someone likes you then have them ditch you after the first dance!”

“You're pathetic,” Ginny said.

“And you're manipulative,” Neville finished, then continued before she could retort. “You get away from me as fast as you can, then Mr. Popular Ravenclaw makes a move, making you see that you can make popular boys fancy you. Then you go after two of my roommates, two of the most popular boys in Gryffindor I might add—”

“Do you even hear what you're saying?” Ginny said. “You're still obsessed with things that happened in school, Neville! Harry broke up with me and I don't see any sign that he and I will get back together by now!”

“What's your point?” Neville asked, suddenly aware of how far the conversation had gone.

“My point is, if you wanted to ask me something, you could have done it long ago!” She said quickly, but as soon as she did, her eyes went wide and her cheeks flushed deeply. Neville, however, considered this.

“And be your little practice session for the better one that comes along?” Neville whispered. “I don't think so...” Ginny was crying again. She tried to rest her hand on his, but he jerked it away.

“I chose this because I thought I didn't matter,” he said. Ginny's head jerked up, her eyes wide with shock. “I wanted to show you that I really could do something right. Maybe it would get the image of me at school out of your head.”

“But Neville,” she said, “I never thought you didn't matter.”

“But I matter the least.”

“That's not tr—”

“Just go,” he said. It was the crack in his voice that told him. He really did love her and he cursed himself for it. That first schoolboy crush that he so desperately tried to destroy was too resilient to break off. It was when she stood from the bed and began walking toward the door that she spoke once more.

“I'll be going with Hermione to the rendezvous tomorrow night,” She said, refusing to look at him. Neville looked up at her silhouette, her hands clutched together and her head shadowed by her wonderful hair.

“I just want you to know, Neville, that I'll always—”

SLAP!

“Wake up, filth!” Neville heard, and bolted upright to find Ginny's polar opposite, Bellatrix Lestrange looming over him. “It's not over yet...” Bellatrix growled menacingly.

Cursing the severity of reality, Neville gingerly raised his head and wondered if fate would be kind enough to let him see her again. Even if he only had a second to say it, he wanted to say he was sorry.

But 'sorry' doesn't make things what they used to be.

Just then, a loud POP! blasted from behind them. Neville shot around and saw Snape holding a large bottle, which at the moment was spewing pounds of bubbles onto the floor in apparent celebration.

“You didn't think that after joining our ranks there wouldn't be a party, now did you?” he said jocularly as the room erupted with cheers.

Neville looked around in confusion as his new compatriots began to shower themselves with laughter and sparkling elf-wine. Gingerly standing from the sofa, Neville rubbed the mark on his left arm, the scar tissue still fresh.

This was it. He was inside and an opportunity presented itself in the greatest form. Just witnessing their exuberant behavior, he knew he could get a lot of information out of them, but that was not at present on his mind.

He remembered the dream he had, but particularly what Ginny said about school. He knew he had gone too far not telling her about all this. He did need to let some things go.

Some time had passed and Neville had to admit he was having a good time. Shots of firewhiskey came one after another as the party became more rambunctious by the minute. It went on late into the night, and soon only Neville and a handful of others were left.

“Hey, Pritchard!” Neville heard from his left. Turning to see who it is, he found Draco Malfoy holding a bottle of firewhiskey in his hand. In a way of showing clearly how pissed he was, Malfoy haphazardly made his way through a mess of passed-out Death Eaters and threw an arm heavily around Neville's shoulders.

“I r-r-remember you f-from school, don't I?” He said with a speech-slurring smile. Neville, feeling particularly warm in the cheeks as well, decided to play along.

“Yeah, Draco,” He said, leaning his head toward him. “We were in the same house!”

“Oh, what a small world it is!” Draco yelled, throwing his arms out and dribbling his liquor across those on the floor. “You...” he blinked, “you-you-you're... a very nice guy...”

“Well, thank you, Draco.”

“I...” he started again, but difficultly. “Well, I think that you're a great audition.. er... audition? ADDITION! to our... erm.. group.. here, and... er...” he slumped slowly on Neville's shoulder, and after mumbling something about Pansy fancying him, fell to the floor in a heap.

Seeing him on the floor, Neville pitied him. He remembered what he had done, in particular what he had done to him, and cursed the pity he felt. Still, he wanted to get even with the little rat after everything he had done. Maybe Ginny was right; maybe he did need to move on from these grudges he had from the past.

But then he remembered something Harry had told him one night. He mentioned hearing this heap on the floor before him in a certain girl's bathroom, crying to a certain ghost that haunted a toilet in that very girl's bathroom.

Well, Neville thought, still feeling that rosy feeling in his face, one last bit of immaturity can't hurt.

Draco woke up the next morning to the laughter of the others. Upon seeing himself in the mirror, he saw there were tear-marks drawn under his eyes, and the phrase “Myrtle loves you, Draco!” written across his face.

He would later find out that the ink could not be removed.
The Glasses by blackhairedweasley
Author's Notes:
The following contains the whole of prompt 8 and half of prompt 9.
Trust
Chapter 3 – The Glasses

Neville walked down the dark corridor and worked to clear his mind with a heavy heart. The alcohol really got to him last night, as was shown by the graffiti-marked face of Draco Malfoy, and he knew he would dearly pay for it. As he reached the end, Lucius Malfoy stood at the door with his usual menacing glare. Clearly, he too was not pleased with him.

With a sneer, he threw the door open the door and never removed his cold eyes from him until Neville was safely inside. Inside Neville found a raging fire with an adjacent chair in the corner. The chair's upholstery looked to be a leather that was once a ruby red, but had faded to a dark and worn color. Behind this chair Voldemort stood, his back was straight and his hands had clasped together behind his back in an apparent showing of impatience.

“Sit,” he said. It was more of a statement than a command, a fact that Neville found very peculiar. Neville took the seat as the Dark Lord circled around the armchair to face him. “I couldn't help but notice your work with young Mr. Malfoy,” he said with a sinister air.

“Yes, my lord,” was all Neville could say. He kept his mind as blank as he could. Voldemort, meanwhile, continued on.

“His father had to...” he hissed, “remove... a great deal of skin to free him from that humiliation. He's been wearing a rather uncomfortable bandage over his face...”

Suddenly Voldemort's face was inches from Neville's. “You, my boy, are reckless, manipulative, and entirely too bold.” Neville then saw the Dark Lord in a way he had never heard of before. He was smiling.

“I like that,” he said, “it reminds me a lot of me.” Neville didn't know what to do except thank him and keep silent. “Now you know,” the Dark Lord continued, “that you offered me information, Pritchard. However, I would like to ask you to perform one more test for me.” He finally pulled his face from Neville's and strolled over to the fire as he spoke again.

“I would like to ask you to go on a mission for me,” he explained, “but this one would be fairly easy for any Death Eater.” Neville looked up at find him staring back at him, those cold eyes ever-watching. Neville quickly looked away.

“You will receive a portkey and will be taken to a specific location. Near this location an item of mine has been hidden. However, it needs to be hidden more... securely...” Voldemort appeared once again mere inches from Neville's face. “I want you to go and...” he made a grasping motion with his hand, “retrieve it for me.”

Neville wondered whether Voldemort was this charismatic with all his Death Eaters, or if he simply didn't trust him yet. With what Harry had told him of his dreams, Voldemort certainly did not treat his inferiors with any ounce of respect. But then again, he wasn't winning the war in those times.

“What is the item?” Neville asked. Suddenly Voldemort's expression changed. It went from mildly polite to raving mad and in an instant, the tip of his wand was at Neville's throat.

“What did you say?” he growled menacingly.

Neville gulped. “I-I was just asking what the item you wanted me to retrieve was, Sir.” He held his breath for nearly a minute before Voldemort withdrew it.

You're a clever boy, you can figure it out when you get there.”

“Yes, Sir,” Neville breathed. With that said, Voldemort motioned toward the door.

In the massing minutes, Neville's mind raced with thoughts of his task. If it was what he thought it was, then he had to get a hold of Harry and quickly.

***

Neville's back hit the ground after his foot sank into the muddy earth. The pebbles beneath him and the fog in the cold air made aware he was on a lake shore. Springing up, Neville's eyes scanned the area rapidly. On his left was the barely-visible shoreline of a lake, to his right stood a set of thick trees. Neville knew that he was out in the open and did not like it one bit. After tossing the tarnished goblet aside, he hurriedly pushed himself from the ground and sprinted toward the trees for some kind of cover. In a matter of seconds he was concealed and disillusioned among the trees.

“Quaero Veneficus,” Neville muttered with an airy wave of his wand. He then began fanning it out, circling himself as the spell scanned the area. After three full circles at different heights, Neville canceled the spell and replaced his wand. Knowing well that there wasn't a witch or wizard for miles, he knew he could contact Harry safely.

Gathering a few nearby sticks, Neville made a small bed of flames. After another quick look around, Neville pointed his wand at the flames and muttered “Tribunus Inscendio.” The flames went from their yellow-orange to a healthy glowing green color as Neville replaced his wand and removed a small cloth satchel from his breast pocket.

“Thank Merlin the Ministry's on our side,” he said as he took a pinch of the powder in his hand. “It's good to have portable communication.” With a deep breath, he threw his handful into the flames. “Number 5, Lion's Court!” Neville called and placed his head inside the fire.

***

“You took that polyjuice potion like I told you to?” Neville called out behind him.

“Yeah, but what are we supposed to be looking for?” Harry asked under his cloak as he and the still disillusioned Neville made their way out of the woods. Neville ripped a stray branch from his arm before he explained Voldemort's reaction to Harry.

“So do you think it's a horcrux?” Neville finished.

“Well,” Harry replied, “the way he reacted I wouldn't be surprised.”

They came to the edge of the lake, and Harry and Neville both looked at each other, not knowing what to do. It was obvious to them that the island was protected by an anti-apparation spell.

“Maybe we can swim,” Neville said in an offhand tone just as the surface of the water broke. Before them floated an odd, sinister-looking creature floated to the surface. With a screech, it leaped from the water and the two just caught the glimpse of a monkey with webbed feet before it returned below the surface with an audible splash.

In the silence that followed, Neville and Harry each took turns glancing at each other. Harry finally broke the silence when he said the two words, “you first.”

Neville sighed, thinking about how to get onto that island. He scanned the ground and the sky for anything they could use. Then a thought hit him.

“Wait, Harry,” he said, “you're going to love this.” He then picked up two rocks from the ground and transfigured them into two broomsticks. Placing them side by side, he called Harry over, and the two mounted and took off, flying over the black water.

“So how many are there left?” Neville asked the invisible Harry, knowing he meant horcruxes.

“Three,” Harry said, “Something of Ravenclaw or Gryffidor's, the snake and Voldemort himself.”

“I think he knows, Harry,” Neville said, “He's been acting really weird toward everyone. Lucius Malfoy doesn't trust me one bit.”

“But does he trust you?” Harry asked. Neville turned forward once more, the point clearly taken.

Once they flew over the island they found it to have the same amount of thick trees as the mainland, however, there was an ominous clearing near the center that was calling after them. They descended through the trees to the perimeter gates of a large mansion and dismounted.

Harry took off his invisibility cloak and stuffed it into the newly visible bag as Neville rapped his wand on his head and felt a welcoming warmth envelop him. Then, without warning, a large snake at least four meters long. It arched itself into a striking position when Harry suddenly stepped in from of Neville.

Harry made this odd hissing sound to which the snake replied with more of the same. Neville waited behind Harry with bated breath as the two conversed in what he could only imagine as parseltongue. Just hearing it made Neville fear Harry as he did the Dark Lord earlier that day. However, Neville need not be afraid. It was not long after this that the snake returned to the ground and led them in through the gates.

“What did you say?” Neville all but demanded in amazement.

“Well,” Harry began, “he said we weren't welcome, but after saying that we were sent by Voldemort and explaining what he asked you to do, he said he'd take us to what we needed!”

Neville was shocked at how easy this was becoming. They entered the property to find it depleted and deserted. As they made their way through the dismal courtyard, Neville heard the snake hiss once more to Harry.

“She said there's a caretaker here,” Harry said as the snake hissed again, “Just show her the mark and you'll be alright.”

Neville wasn't so sure. Granted, the serpent hadn't given them reason not to trust her, but Neville had the feeling that this could get very bad, very quickly.

“So where is this caretaker?” Neville asked.

“She should be around somewhere,” Harry sighed. “But apparently we have to see her before we're allowed inside the mansion.”

“Well, she'd better get here quick otherwise I'm going to—”

BANG!

Neville hit the ground before he knew he was hit. Stars buzzing before him, the pain in the back of his head became more severe as blood trickled down his forehead. He heard yelling, hissing and shrieking before him. Chaos seemed to overtake him as he felt himself be dragged to a sitting position.

“Neville!” he heard Harry say repeatedly. After a moment, the pain in his head had subsided and he felt his left sleeve being pulled up his arm. As he lifted his head, he heard a gasp accompanied by a large object falling to the mossy stone ground. A tall, but deathly skinny woman had her dead, black eyes wide with focus on the Dark Mark upon Neville's arm. She honestly looked like someone who starved to death, but years ago. Her skin was wrinkled and decayed, giving her a pale green complexion, and the skin on her face was stretched so thin it was like looking at a skeleton.

Not really hearing what the 'woman' was saying, Neville stood and wiped the blood from his forehead as he made his way to the front door. Harry soon followed and the serpent made its way ahead as Neville opened the door.

It was a dark and dank area, but neither Neville nor Harry were concerned about the house. The serpent led, and they followed it into what used to be a sitting room. There was a sofa and chairs with an adjacent coffee table, a bar in the corner and in the center of the far wall, where the snake made its way, sat an empty and blackened fireplace.

The snake hissed something as Neville stumbled in. Harry looked at it and repeated its noises, to which the snake replied by nodding its head. Without a word, Harry stepped forth and pulled back the single candle on the right. At once, the fireplace began to move noisily, blanketing anything nearby with soot. Once turned around, there stood a minute plateau holding a small box in place at the top. Neville crossed the room and took the box from its resting place. Without hesitation, Neville opened the box and found something to make both he and Harry gasp.

Inside were a pair of the oldest glasses either had ever seen. Small, black and horn-rimmed, these glasses looked like the kind that would fit a child, or a very small woman. As Neville turned them to the side he noticed a golden eagle etched into the wing on either side.

“This is it!” Neville almost yelled. “Ravenclaw's glasses!”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Her house is known for taking the most studious. A pair of reading glasses would make sense.”

Neville's mind was ablaze with a million thoughts. The most active one of which seemed to be telling him you're holding part of Voldemort's soul! Neville looked around to see the serpent gazing at the object in Neville's hands, but with a sense of ease. It was as if she was thanking Neville for relieving her of her duty.

“What's her name?” Neville asked.

“What?”

“You said the snake's a 'she', right? What's her name?”

Harry paused, but a smile crept onto his face as he said the name “Shuhan.” Neville smiled.

“Thank you, Shuhan.”


Not long after that, Harry and Neville walked toward the portkey with the air of two warriors about to return home. As he stepped up along the rocky shoreline, Neville looked down at the old and battered goblet.

“I don't think I should go back empty-handed,” Neville said warily as Harry nodded his head in agreement. “But maybe we're still ok...”

“How do you mean?” Harry asked. “If you don't go back with the horcrux then he'll know you're either incompetent or a spy.”

“No,” Neville began, “see, he sent me here alone, expecting me to try and get this thing alone. I reckon that if I had to fight off that snake and that bloody psychopath, I'd have more than just a lump on my head.”

“No,” Harry began, comprehension dawning on his face.“He would have expected you to die —”

“— Or come back after more than just two hours,” Neville finished with a smile. He sat on the rocks beside the portkey as Harry paced behind him.

“So,” Harry began, “does that mean you can come back to headquarters for a while?” He knelt beside Neville and dropped the glasses on the pebbles in front of them. “I know that a few people would love to see you're alright.”

“Well I could,” Neville said, “except I don't know where we are. If I were to go back to headquarters, I wouldn't be able to get back and take the portkey back to Voldemort.” They sat in silence for a moment.

“Unless,” Harry began slowly, “something happens to the portkey so you have no choice but to apparate back.” Neville's eyes went wide.

“That's brilliant!” he exclaimed. “If something happens and the portkey isn't here when I get back, I'll have to apparate back!”

“So what are we going to do to it?” Harry asked.

“We can't deactivate it,” Neville began, thinking out loud, “but we could make it look like something else took it back. Maybe —I don't know— an animal stepping on it.”

“Like a squirrel?” Harry mentioned, pointing toward the woods. A small red squirrel was on the side of a large evergreen about 100 meters from them. Without hesitation, the word “Stupefy!” rang out in Harry's voice. In a red flash the squirrel fell a short distance to the ground, completely immobile.

“Yeah,” Neville said slowly as Harry stood, “a squirrel would work...” Harry crossed the rocky beach to the small animal, frozen in its climbing position. Neville soon followed and the two stood over the creature.

“You know, I must admit,” Neville said, “that was a bloody nice shot.” Harry smiled slightly as he lowered himself and scooped up the rodent. “But what are you going to do with it?”

“Drop it on the portkey.” Harry said simply. Neville hurried forward.

“But if you just drop a stunned squirrel on the portkey, they'll know something's up!” Neville said desperately, but Harry seemed already aware of this. He stopped short of the portkey and pointed his still-withdrawn wand directly at it.

“Enervate,” he said as a shot went directly into the squirrel's chest. The animal seemed shocked momentarily, as it looked around and up to Harry before trying to escape. Harry then dropped it onto the portkey. In an instant, the tarnished goblet vanished from sight.

“There,” Harry said, picking up the glasses from the rocks. “They'll see the portkey come back with a squirrel and knowing them, they'll just let you get back on your own.”

But just as Harry had finished saying that, three loud cracks filled the shore. One pair of hands grabbed Neville's shoulders, another took hold of Harry's. They were caught.
The Betrayal by blackhairedweasley
Author's Notes:
The following contains the second half of Prompt 9 and Prompt 10.

Trust
Chapter 4 – The Betrayal



“My, my, my...” a deep voice said. “You thought you could get away from us, didn't you Pritchard?” Kingsley Shacklebolt pulled the hood back from his head, revealing his intimidating eyes. “Only been gone a day and you've already made a new friend, haven't you?” He walked over to Harry and looked him directly in the eyes.

“To think, I really thought you were on our side, Severus...” he said before violently sinking his fist into his stomach.

“Kingsley!” Neville yelled. “It's me! Neville!” Shacklebolt wheeled around.

“You keep your mouth shut until we say so, Pritchard.” he said. He then took a rock from the ground and pointed his unusually long wand at it and muttering

“We're going back to the ministry,” he said. With that, they forced Harry's and Neville's hands onto the stone, and after each auror taking hold as well, the five of them felt the pull behind their naval and were gone from the chilly beach.

***

Neville didn't want to look at her. Even after what he had said, he knew he didn't really mean it. Even as she stood by the door, he didn't want her to step through it.

“I just want you to know, Neville,” she said, her eyes full of tears, “that I'll always—”

“Last year,” Neville cut her off, “when yu were poisoned by Flint, I was ready to give my blood for the antidote.” Ginny turned, her hands together. “I had the knife on my arm, and you still said 'wait for Harry. He'll make sure the potion is right.' But you just wanted his blood instead of mine.”

“Neville,” Ginny tried, “Harry told me that when Voldemort took his blood to get another body, he gained some of Harry's powers. Harry said that there was a possibility that...” her eyes were fixed to the floor as she trailed off.

“That you'd get some of his power,” Neville finished for her. Ginny nodded. “Well did you?” Ginny didn't answer, so Neville simply sighed.

“It felt horrible,” Nevile began again, slowly, “to want to save someone's life, and have to argue about it.” Ginny came back and sat on the bed once more. “If there's anything that made me feel worthless, it's that.” Ginny took his hand, this time Neville didn't pull away.



“You're not worthless, Neville,” she said. “There's no one I'd rather go to battle with, or trust with my life. And I can tell you honestly, there's no one else I'd rather call my friend.”

Neville said nothing. He didn't want to answer, for he didn't trust what he would say. Finally, after what seemed like hours, he stood.

“I have to get ready to go,” he said. As he began to rummage though his things, he chanced a glance behind him. He watched as Ginny, her face shrouded by her hair again, stepped through the doorway and closed it behind her.

***

Neville's feet landed inside a small room lit by four candles at each corner. He and Harry were then violently shoved into seats opposite each other. Without saying a word, Shacklebolt bound their hands, then took a chair from the side and placed it directly in front of Neville. With an air of impatient satisfaction, Kingsley sat heavily into the wooden chair, causing it to creak slightly.

“What were you looking for today?” He asked. Neville waisted no time.

“Kingsley, it's me. I have the polyjuice potion in my robes—“ Neville was backhanded hard across the face by Shacklebolt. After a moment, he stepped to one of the guards by the door, and took nearly a minute whispering in his ear.



Neville didn't know why, but he had a very bad feeling about this and had no intention of being completely helpless. While the guards were preoccupied, Neville signaled Harry with his hands. He concentrated deeply on his target and then thought the incantation accio wand! Silently, just as the guard turned his hip, Neville's wand slipped from his belt and flew to Neville's hand. Carefully, he slipped it inside the sleeve of his robes, then looked up to Harry and nodded, instructing him to do the same.

Harry's wand slipped inside his sleeve just after Kingsley was finished, the guard he spoke to leaving in a hurry. Shacklebolt took a moment before addressing Neville again.

“There are much better interrogators then I, Pritchard,” he said menacingly, “and they're on their way right now. You can talk to me, or you can talk to them. I can assure you they will not be as gentle as I am.”

“Kingsley, I—” but another slap struck Neville's face before he could say another word. This was not the Kingsley that Harry and Neville knew from before. Something had changed since they last saw him. His eyes had lost that soft, paternal look behind them. It was almost as if they had frozen to glass in the time of his absence. Neville was quickly losing his patience

“Damn it, Kingsley!” he growled, his cheek still stinging. “If you don't believe me, just wait until the polyjuice wears off! Sooner or later you'll find out I'm not lying!” Just as Neville finished, the door burst open. The guard that had left returned with a vial of clear liquid clutched between his fingers. Shacklebolt quickly took the vial, uncorked it, and after taking hold of Neville's jaw, poured a small amount of the contents and rubbed his throat for him to swallow.

“Look at me!” Shacklebolt said. “Who am I?”

“Kingsley Shacklebolt,” Neville replied.

“And who are you?” he asked him.



“Neville – bloody – Longbottom!” Neville screamed. Shacklebolt's eyes went wide.

“A-and the one behind me?” he gasped, pointing behind his back.

“It's Harry! Harry Potter!” Shacklebolt then stood, withdrawing his wand.

“That's what I thought,” he said. He stood from his seat and walked forcefully to the door before throwing it open and calling out, “You were right, Lucius!”

To Neville's horror, Three figures walked through the door: Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange and the Dark Lord himself. Voldemort strode into the room quite swiftly, his eyes beaming in a curious way.

“Kingsley!” Neville yelled, but he was greeted with a deep laugh that was quite colder than the one he was accustomed to. It was a laugh that seemed to solidify his betrayal.

“You didn't really think,” he said, “that you were the only man inside, did you?”

“Why?” Neville asked. Bellatrix let out an uproarious laugh.

“What, that's it?” She demanded. “No snide remark, no pithy comeback? Merlin, your father was much more interesting when he was captured.” Neville felt a surge of hatred flow toward her. That... thing... that destroyed his family. Kingsley let out one last chuckle before he stepped back to the Dark Lord's wake.

“Well,” Voldemort's horrible voice hissed as he approached the young wizard, “here I find I've caught myself a spy, I've captured Harry Potter and I'll have those lovely glasses of mine. It's like striking three muggles with one curse!”

The glasses! Neville thought. Judging by the look in Harry's eyes, he knew it, too. Neville took a deep breath.

“What makes you think we have those glasses?”

Every Death Eater in the room exchanged glances. The Dark Lord, however, never broke his gaze from Neville's eyes.

“You fooled me once, my boy,” He nearly whispered. “I can see that you indeed do not have them, but you know where they are.” Neville began to sweat uncontrollably. He could feel his features contorting to their original form as the potion's effect began to wane. Neville looked ahead to Harry, but his hair wasn't getting shorter, it was getting longer. Malfoy and Lestrange seemed to have noticed as well, for while they were keeping an eye on him, the look in their eyes were of unmistakable confusion.

“So how then,” Neville asked slowly, “are we all going to get what we want?”

“Well I don't know about what you want,” Bellatrix finally joined the conversation, “but I certainly know how to get things I want...” She finished with a twirl of her wand. Neville's eyes scanned the room again. The door had Kingsley and Malfoy blocking it, Voldemort was less than a meter in from of him, and Bellatrix Lestrange stood directly behind and had her eyes locked on—

Wait, that's not Harry. Neville's mind was torn in two. The polyjuice potion body of Severus Snape had not transformed into Harry Potter. The body had indeed shrunk in size, but far beyond that of a twenty-year-old man. In fact, it looked like that of a nineteen-year-old woman with flaming red hair falling just below her shoulders. The whole room seemed to have their eyes focused on the seat opposite Neville, as the final features of Ginny Weasley became visible.

“Well, it seems we have a small problem,” Voldemort hissed. He turned his head to the two Death Eaters at the door. “I want those glasses,” he said to the two. “Retrieve them for me. Lucius, Blaise, I have another job for you.” With that, he strode airily from the room, leaving Kingsley and Bellatrix along with them.

Kingsley swiftly stepped away from the door and grabbed Neville's collar, ringing away his gaze from Ginny.

“You said that was Potter!” he screamed lividly, shining Neville's face with spit. However, that was not on Neville's mind. The door now was unguarded, and the number of people holding their departure had been reduced to two. Most importantly, Voldemort was gone. If he was correct, the portkey would have returned to the room at the end of the hall. If he and Ginny could get to the portkey, they could get those glasses and maybe even go home. But for now, the veritaserum was still quite active in his bloodstream.

“I thought it was,” he said. Bellatrix snorted.

“Just as stupid as that father of yours,” she sneered acidly. “Let me guess, you were conceived after those useless parents of yours went bonkers!” She began to laugh almost hysterically as she stuck out her bottom lip, crossed her eyes and pantomimed a very obscene gesture right in Neville's face.

Within a second, Neville pulled his wand from his sleeve.

“Avada Kedavra!” Neville yelled. Bellatrix was taken completely off-guard, and the green jet of light hit her square in the chest.

With her fall to the floor, Neville heard a yell from Ginny's direction before something hot hit him in the shoulder. Fueled by his anger, Neville stood from his seat as Kingsley charged. With a swift slash of his wand, Shacklebolt found his feet flying up from under him. The air expelled from his lungs as his back hit the ground but as Neville kicked away his wand, his gasps for breath afterward fell deaf from a silencing charm from Ginny.

“I trusted you...” Neville said, pointing his wand at his face. But whispers soon turned to screams. “I TRUSTED YOU!” he repeated again and again. Screams turned to fists. Neville's fists landed on his cheek, his jaw, his nose, each blow seemingly flattening Kingsley's face more and more. But it wasn't enough. When he'd finished hitting him, Neville jumped up, his wand poised and aimed directly at Shacklebolt's heart.

“Neville, don't!” Ginny yelled.

“Why not?” Neville asked, his voice raised. “He's just like the other traitors. It's because of someone like him that Harry lost his parents, THAT I LOST MINE!” His anomalous breaths were now coming in sharp gasps. “I should just kill him right now.”

“Neville, please,” Ginny pleaded. “You know you don't want to do this. This just... isn't you!”

Neville finally broke his gaze from the battered form on the floor below him. Ginny stood before him with her hands near her mouth, her eyes already bloodshot from the tears. The adrenaline that had come so quickly had now gone just as fast. Neville was now, for the first time, fully aware that he had killed someone in the room and had nearly bludgeoned another to death with his own hands.

He looked down at Kingsley and, as if apologetically, cast a stunning charm on him, rendering him unconscious. He looked back at Ginny, who had inched closer in the previous minute. The tension in the room soon lifted as Neville tried to get a grip on things.

“Okay,” he said. “If we're in the room I think we are, then we're close to where I took the portkey. I don't know about you, but I've had a bad day and I really want to go home and go to bed.”

"Me too," Ginny mumbled as she followed Neville toward the door.

Just as he set his hand on the handle, he heard Ginny call his name from behind him. Neville turned around to find her very close. Without hesitation, Ginny took Neville's head in her hands and kissed him as hard as she could. As Neville's eyes went wide in surprise, Ginny broke the kiss and took him into a tight embrace.

“What was that for?” Neville asked.

“I just...” Ginny began, not letting go. “I wanted to know I did that. ...For me.” She looked up into Neville's eyes. The fear was evident, but so was the determination.

“I think we have a lot to talk about,” Neville said.

“Yeah,” Ginny breathed, tears running down her face. Neville shuffled his feet awkwardly.

“But one thing bothers me," he said. "Where'd you learn to speak parseltongue?” he asked her. “I thought for sure you were Harry when you were talking to that snake.”

Ginny gave Neville a drained sort of smile before replying “You remember when Flint poisoned me? And how Harry gave his blood for the antidote?" Neville still looked confused. "I guess when you really care about someone, you give them more than you think you do.” Neville sighed, and looked back into her eyes.

“Maybe,” Neville began, “we should talk about this when we get home.”

“Okay,” Ginny sniffled. She sniffed in once more and stopped the few tears left in her eyes from falling, then wiped her eyes.

“You ready?” Neville asked. Ginny nodded. “Okay. One... Two... Three.”


Neville and Ginny had the best night's sleep of their lives.


This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60037