In Theory by Slian Martreb
Summary: Professor Binns attempts to enlighten some of his students.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 853 Read: 1672 Published: 12/03/06 Updated: 12/10/06

1. In Theory by Slian Martreb

In Theory by Slian Martreb
Author's Notes:
This is the writing that prompted the entire WWW and MoM class on the Beta Forums....
In Theory


“A novelty among Wizarding kind is the Jewish witch or wizard,” Professor Binns droned on. “There is much speculation surrounding them, as they are far and few between. What we do know is that when the Jewish witch or wizard is born, they possess tremendous power within either Dark or Light magic. They likewise tend to be Masters at spoken spells and charms and are more than adept at Healing magic, owing in no small part to the tight tie between their religion and song. As rare as the Jewish witch or wizard is, the naturaly born Jewish Legilimens is even rarer and only a handful are noted in the annals of Magical History.

"It is believed that, for a time, all the of the Leviites who sang in the Temple were required to be fully trained wizards as it seems to be the only explanation for the results their singing inspired. We know of no other instances in which an individual was assuredly moved to repentance, through magical means or otherwise.

"While the wizards showed tremendous intuition within the branches of Divination“clearly no small part in their success as business men“the witches show a larger tendency towards what might be called ‘hearth-craft’ They show proficiency in the creation of household charms and wards, as well as being able to create meals for thousands with a single word or wish. The miracle related with the Bread baked weekly for the Temple is explained thus.

"Similarly, the Patriarchs and Matriarchs are believed to have had magical inclinations. The three Fathers of the religion“Abraham, Isaac and Jacob“passed many tests given to them by a God-like entity. Isaac’s birth“when both his mother and father were far into what would have been considered old-age for their time, whether for Muggle or wizard, is a clear showing of the Wizarding tendency to live long lives. Jacob was known for his prophetic dreams, as was his son Joseph and that hereditary talent of the Sight was passed on throughout the generations.

"The Matriarchs“Sara, Rivka, Rachel and Leah“were also known for certain miracles. The candles they lit burned for a solid week, the bread they baked remained fresh and it is believed that they could control the weather as well, to no small degree, witnessed by the cloud that hovered above their tents for the course of their lifetimes.

"It is believed as well, that many of the Jewish nations leaders and prophets were Wizards or Witches. Their leaders were able to perform tasks and tremendous feats, while their prophets and prophetesses were true Seers. Moses is described in the Old Testament to stand in stature no less than a giant and Joshua famously stopped the sun in its very journey as he stood at the walls of Jericho. Many women throughout Jewish history are credited with its saving from outside forces, such as the Greeks and the Turks.

"In not so recent years, however, the number of known Jewish witches and wizards has dropped considerably. While it is easy to assume that men such as Maimonedes were powerful Healers, there is no confirmation of this. We have seen neither man nor woman in too many years to count who claims to be both Jewish and magical.

"This is an issue that has confused the chroniclers of Magical History for centuries. Never before has it been proved that an entire religion or region should simply stop producing magical progeny. There are flourishing Wizarding communities and societies throughout all religions and races, through every land and region. Whether it was the stifled colony of Salem, or the Indian Shamans; the spirit guides of Northern Russia or the affinity the Chinese have with their dragons, there has always been, world round, magical people. The lack of the Gift within Judaism confounded historians, who finally turned to Jewish literature and Bible study for the answer.

"When they did finally find an answer though, they were staggered. “Thou Shalt Not Suffer A Witch To Live.” Eight simple words, spoken in prophecy, and an entire race simply stopped having the Gift. It was confusing and...amazing. That a race should simply stop being magical was unheard of before in any Wizarding history. No record of such a phenomenon had ever been marked before, anywhere.

"It was not very long after this discovery that Wizarding kind slowly began its move away from God. The passage, found in both Jewish and Christian texts, infuriated many Wizarding communities. They could not reconcile within their minds that God could allow them this Gift and then want them dead. Such a God, in their minds, was cruel, unjust, could not and should not be worshiped.

"The continuing celebration of Christmas within the Wizarding Community then, is viewed this simply: a holiday that is more pagan than not, and as an excuse to receive presents and gain weight.”

Harry jerked awake. Binns had not just said what he thought he“

“It is for this reason that the Jews....”

Harry’s head fell back into his arms as Professor Binns smiled to himself.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60880