Incomparable Love by Red and Gold
Summary:

What is the truth and what is the illusion when logical Hermione Granger experiences a vision - or is it a prophecy?

The warning is for a light, brief reference only.

HG/DM HBP One-Shot

Submitted by red and gold of Ravenclaw for the New Years Challenge #2- Dreams

**Came in Second Place in the Dreams Category of the New Year's Challenge!**


Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3011 Read: 2306 Published: 02/26/07 Updated: 02/28/07

1. Incomparable by Red and Gold

Incomparable by Red and Gold
Author's Notes:
I put this warning on this story due to a slight, brief reference, but felt it should be mentioned.
A special thank you to my PI beta Lemonella - I appreciate all your time and enthusiastic support!
Every single thing in this story belongs to J.K.Rowling.


Tell me where is fancy bred, Or in the heart, or in the head?
How begot, how nourished? Reply, reply.

- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice


Incomparable Love


Hermione Granger stood barefoot on the loveliest expanse of white-sand beach she had ever seen. As she began to walk aimlessly, she enjoyed the feel of the warm sand that whispered beneath her feet and she basked in the radiant sunshine that put bronze highlights in her long brown hair. Golden rays of light sparkled on a vast expanse of water an exquisite shade of cerulean blue, which gradually turned a beautiful turquoise the closer it rolled to shore.

She moved closer to feel the foamy water eddy and swirl around her ankles as the gentle waves moved in their endless ebb and flow. As the waves retreated, they lovingly deposited their treasures at her feet for her to admire. Bending down, she spied a perfect, unbroken sand dollar. And there, a shell whose insides were coated with a luminous mother-of-pearl sheen. And on and on it went. Delighted, she gathered those that most attracted her until her collection filled her hands.

Absorbed in her fascinating mission, she did not notice the solitary figure that slowly approached her. Feeling hands on her shoulders, she quickly turned, startled.

“Oh!” she laughed. “You surprised me, Draco!” As he kissed her creamy, warm cheek, she held up her full hands, presenting her findings. “I've been busy “ as busy as it is possible to be in such a paradise.”

He smiled and said, “Here, let me carry some of those for you.” She tipped some of the shells into his hand, then he placed an arm around her trim waist and led her to a shady, peaceful spot of emerald green grass spread with a soft fleece blanket. On it rested a hamper loaded with every delectable item she had ever mentioned she enjoyed eating, along with an open bottle of her favorite wine and two crystal wine glasses.

Carefully placing her souvenirs in an out-of-the-way spot, he held one of her hands and lowered her to the blanket. Producing plates for them, he first filled her plate, laying it in front of her, then filled his own. Reaching out his upturned hand, he cupped the bowls of the wine glasses, separating the delicate stems between his fingers. Expertly, gracefully, he poured the wine. Taking one glass, she looked at him. He held his glass up and toasted her, saying, “To you - the incredible woman that makes this the paradise that it is, the woman whose beauty far surpasses anything seen here and the only woman I want to spend my life with, now and forever. I love you.”

He touched his glass to hers, and the clear musical note it made hung in the air between them, then delicately faded. In the ensuing silence, the faint sea breeze died away as if the earth itself was waiting breathlessly. In that moment, he slid a never-ending circle of purest gold onto the ring finger of her left hand. The cut and clarity of the ring's exquisite diamond was rivaled by the tear that trailed down her cheek to fall silently on the ground, swiftly followed by another. Setting their glasses aside, he came to her and tenderly kissed each tear away as she whispered brokenly, “I love you so much, Draco.” He raised Hermione to her feet and asked quietly, “If you don't care to eat, would you dance with me?”

Overcome, she nodded, and as he held her close to him, she laid her head on his shoulder while he took her hand in his. As he led her in moves simple yet elegant, she felt consumed with a deep and lasting peace that came from knowing she was in the arms of the man she loved, this man who loved her beyond compare.

An artist's palette of orange, pinks and purples began to appear in streaks across the sky when he lowered her to the ground. There he made love to her as a glorious sunset completely filled the horizon, and when the moon rose, its glow blanketed them as they slept contentedly in each other's arms.

***

His teasing laughter called to her, beckoning her from sleep. She smiled and stirred, but did not answer.

His laughter became increasingly more jarring. Dimly, she realized something was distinctly wrong. She started to open her eyes, only to immediately shut them, shielding them from the bright lights. Cautiously trying again, she opened her eyes to find herself sitting in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom with an annoyed Professor Snape looming over her.

Every single person in the classroom was staring wide-eyed at her and several Slytherins were sniggering, Malfoy loudest of all. Alarmed, she looked around at Harry and Ron, who were watching her anxiously.

“Welcome back, Miss Granger. I trust you are well?” he asked her in a mockingly polite voice.

How did we get here? Why is Draco acting like that? She glanced towards the ring finger on her left hand that looked as achingly empty as she suddenly felt.

“No “ yes, I “ I 'm not sure!” she said vaguely as she rubbed her forehead, trying to get her bearings.

“I would say that covers the spectrum of possible answers. Twenty points from Gryffindor for falling asleep in class,” Professor Snape said snidely. “Since this lesson is so uninteresting to you, Miss Granger, you may leave. Please gather your things.”

As he wrote a note to Professor McGonagall explaining her dismissal, Hermione quickly whispered to Harry, “What happened?”

“I don't know,” Harry said quietly, watching for Snape. “You were sitting there with your eyes closed for at least 20 minutes. He only noticed a few minutes ago, though, when Ron and I tried to get you to “ I dunno “ wake up, I guess. Were you asleep?” He asked doubtfully, never having known her to be less than fully attentive even during Professor Binn's mind-numbing History of Magic class.

“I don't think so!” she whispered fearfully, twisting her hands together as Professor Snape returned.

She risked the barest glimpse at Draco - just long enough to register the impenetrable pale eyes that gave back nothing, nothing but ridicule. Her hand shaking noticeably, she took the proffered slip of tan parchment from Professor Snape. She bowed her head so that her hair covered her reddened face as she stowed her things in her bag. Placing it on her shoulder, she walked quickly from the room with tears coming to her eyes as the Slytherins' mocking laughter followed her down the chilly corridor.

Dreading having to face Professor McGonagall, she hesitated, then took a deep breath and knocked on the door. The door opened and Professor McGonagall was visibly surprised to see Hermione. “Granger! What is it, has something happened?” she asked hurriedly, as she scanned the corridor for signs of trouble.

“No, Professor,” Hermione quickly reassured her. “It's just, well, Professor Snape asked me to give you this note.”

Pressing her hand to her chest and exhaling in relief, Professor McGonagall took the note and swung the door open wide to admit Hermione. As the door closed, she motioned Hermione to a chair. “Biscuit?” Professor McGonagall offered, holding out a tin as she sat down behind her desk.

“Um, no, thank you, Professor,” Hermione replied, biting her bottom lip in nervous agitation.

Setting the tin aside, Professor McGonagall adjusted her glasses and Hermione watched her eyes dart back and forth over the words covering the parchment. Frowning, she put the note down and asked, “Is this true, Granger?”

Looking at her helplessly, Hermione said, “I'm not sure “ what does it say?

Obligingly, the Professor read out loud:


Professor McGonagall-

Please allow Miss Granger to return to Gryffindor Tower, as I would prefer she slept in her dormitory rather than my classroom.

-Professor Snape



Hermione squirmed uncomfortably under McGonagall's stare. “Yes, I think I might have fallen asleep in class,” she conceded in a small voice.

Professor McGonagall pressed her lips into a thin line as she leaned back in her chair. “This has never happened to you before, Granger. And what do you mean, you 'think' you might have fallen asleep?” she asked, looking at Hermione sharply.

“I don't know!” Hermione wailed, wringing her hands. “I didn't feel tired at all; I had all my supplies ready, preparing to take notes, and the next thing I knew Professor Snape was dismissing me from the classroom!”

“Hmm, perhaps you should see Madame Pomfrey,” Professor McGonagall suggested briskly, pulling out her quill and a piece of parchment from her drawer.

“Oh no, Professor, please,” Hermione pleaded. “I don't need to go to the hospital wing. I “ I probably should just do as Professor Snape suggests and get some rest.”

Relenting, albeit reluctantly, Professor McGonagall said, “Very well, then, Granger, off you go “ and mind this doesn't happen again. By the way, did Professor Snape take points from Gryffindor?”

Hermione nodded miserably and said, “He deducted 20 points.”

Heaving a sigh, Professor McGonagall stood up and escorted Hermione out the door, saying, “Then I won't add to it. Get some rest, Granger.”

Hearing the door shut firmly behind her, Hermione exhaled slowly and started towards Gryffindor tower. Up one staircase and down a corridor, barely aware of anything around her, her mind was working furiously. She knew, knew she could not possibly have fallen asleep. She would have to go on the assumption she had experienced a - what, exactly? A vision?

She had always given Divination little, if any, credence, so she was understandably hesitant to call it a prediction or an omen of some sort. She scornfully recalled Trelawney putting so much stock in a stupid death omen “ that “Grim” she had gone on and on about in third year.

But if - and this was a big IF - a prediction, where did that leave her? Draco Malfoy asking Hermione to marry him? Blushing crimson from head to toe, she came to a halt beside a cheerfully humming suit of armor. She covered her face with her hands, not noticing the portraits on the wall watching her curiously.

Quickly, Hermione mentally retreated to safer ground. Logic. She had to attack this problem as she did every other: logically. Feeling more certain of herself, Hermione inhaled deeply and started walking again.

She thought back to the moment she woke up this morning and methodically went through each activity she had performed, trying to find something “ anything “ that could logically explain what had happened in Professor Snape's classroom.

She had gotten ready, grabbed her book bag, and gone downstairs to meet Harry and Ron in the common room. Nothing unusual had happened there; they had simply met together early enough to leave through the portrait hole and start for the Great Hall. She had been between Ron and Harry the entire time, and judging from the expressions on their faces in the classroom, neither of them could have been responsible.

In the Great Hall, they sat down at their table and ate breakfast just like normal. An owl brought her the Daily Prophet, which she opened up and read as she did every morning. Wait “ when she looked up from reading a particularly horrifying article about yet another werewolf attack, she noticed Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil, who had both smiled at her just a bit too quickly. That they had smiled at her at all was completely suspicious, especially given the fact that Lavender believed Hermione was the sole reason Ron had broken up with her. Looking around her, checking her face, Hermione had found nothing wrong, so she just finished off her pumpkin juice and hurried to Defense Aga-

The juice.

Hermione came to a dead stop in the corridor, causing several second years to crash heavily into her. Wincing with pain, she moved to stand against the stone wall and slowly lowered her heavy book bag to the floor. As she stood there wondering what could possibly have been put into her juice, she was reminded of something she had overheard in the library a few days ago. Frowning, she frantically searched her memory, and suddenly it came to her in vivid detail:




Sitting in the library trying to complete her Ancient Runes homework, her teeth were set on edge as Lavender Brown’s conversation with Parvati Patil kept intruding on Hermione’s concentration.

“Yes, I know, isn’t it a scream? I was in their shop right before the start of second term looking at their window display when Fred pulled me over to that large stand of charms by the counter. George said they were looking for someone special to test their new limited edition liquid version- something they were thinking of marketing strictly to students, because not every 6th year student could do the incantation nonverbally. They said this would be quicker, less conspicuous or something - I don’t know…anyway, I told them I’d be happy to help. They said when it was ready they’d disguise it as a cough potion and send it along. So, that’s what I got in the post this morning at breakfast!”

Parvati sighed, “They’re amazing. The common room just doesn’t seem as fun without them, does it?”

Hermione gave a loud snort. Their heads whipped around to see who made the noise and Lavender’s eyes narrowed when she saw Hermione.

“Come, on, Parvati, let’s go,” snapped Lavender, giving Hermione a hateful glare. They gathered their things and angrily flounced out of the library.






Leaning with her fists clenched and her back against the cold wall, Hermione swung her leg behind her and kicked it hard with the bottom of her foot.

“Damn it!” she swore loudly, figuring now was as good a time as any to start.

“They spiked my juice with a Weasley’s Patented Daydream Charm!”


***

Later in the evening, Hermione was sitting in a secluded corner of the library, reading. As she crossed and uncrossed her legs yet again, trying to get comfortable, a voice floated over to her and said quietly, “You seem very restless tonight. Are you still thinking about what happened today? I was worried - it’s not like you to doze off in class.”

Still somewhat perturbed, Hermione bit out, “I just wish I had dozed off. I found out Lavender and Parvati slipped an extremely strong Daydream Charm into my drink this morning at breakfast when I wasn’t looking.”

Hermione abruptly tossed the book aside. Even as she thought about it, she could feel her cheeks begin to burn. “It took effect just as I sat down at my table. I remember getting out everything I needed to take notes, but after that I don’t recall anything that went on in class. It was mortifying to open my eyes and see every single person staring at me and those hateful Slytherins laughing. In a way, I’m glad I got sent from the room,” she confessed.

“I thought you might be. What did Professor McGonagall say?”

“She wanted to send me to Madame Pomfrey to get checked out, but I begged her to let me go back to the dorm to rest. On the way to Gryffindor Tower, I pieced together what must have happened and said words Peeves would have blushed to hear. But the worst part,” she fretted, “is that I missed the lesson! I have no idea what it was about!”

“I can tell you the assignment: a foot and a half essay discussing the efficacy of Dark Objects used in a defensive capacity.”

Hermione's eyes widened. “Oooh, that’s very interesting. I wish I could have taken notes!” she added bitterly.

“Potter and Weasley wish you could have, too, I'm sure,” Draco Malfoy sneered from his seat next to hers. Marking his place in his own book, he set it on the table. Looking over both shoulders, making sure Madame Pince wasn't watching them, he leaned over and kissed Hermione softly.

He pulled her chair closer to him so she could rest her head against his robed chest. As his hand gently smoothed her curly brown hair, Draco remarked, “I want you to know I hated laughing at you in class earlier, but I couldn't let on how concerned I was.”

Her arms embraced him tightly and he felt her begin to relax a bit as she responded, “Thank you. We both realized it would be difficult, maintaining appearances. I don't blame you for anything.”

Draco continued in a low, rather hoarse voice, “I never, never imagined I would feel this way about you.” She pulled away and flashed him a look with her eyebrows raised and two pink spots appeared on his pale cheeks.

“What I mean,” he backpedaled quickly, “is that I never imagined you would feel this way about me.”

He let out a small sigh of relief as Hermione smiled at him. “I wouldn't have thought so, either, to be honest. But something about you has changed these past months...I can't put my finger on it, but you're not nearly as arrogant, or obnoxious or...”

Draco clapped a hand to his forehead. “Yes, thank you, I get it.”

“What I mean is that when you stopped acting like a complete git, I was attracted to your intelligence and....” It was Hermione's turn to blush.

Draco smirked, “...and my devastatingly good looks. There. It's really not so hard to say, is it?”

Hermione snorted loudly. “You compliment yourself better than I ever could.”

Draco smiled and pulled her close once more. Deciding to return to the previous topic, he pressed his lips to the top of her head, then said, “For all the trouble it caused you, I hope the daydream was a pleasant one.”

Tilting up her face, she smiled at him. “However pleasant it may have been, there's no comparison; I much prefer reality.”







This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=64483