The Best Memory by AurorGirl101
Summary: Anna Leah Potter is casting her first Patronus. She has just the memory in mind, and is practically bubbling over with excitement. She can't wait to show her daddy how much she's just like him...





Written by AurorGirl101 of Ravenclaw for the June One-shot challenge. This one shot is also a future companion of Harry Potter Housewife.



Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1517 Read: 1627 Published: 07/09/07 Updated: 07/10/07

1. Chapter 1-The Best Memory by AurorGirl101

Chapter 1-The Best Memory by AurorGirl101
Author's Notes:
Hello! This was written for the June One-shot over on the forums. It is a furture companion to Harry Potter...Housewife? Thanks so much to my beta Lindsey/Ron x Hermione!!!




Anna Leah Potter hurried from her dorm to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. There had been a rumor at the Gryffindor breakfast table that today’s fifth year Defense class would be practicing their Patronus charms.



Anna’s stomach had plummeted at this. She had heard the story of how her grandfather and father shared the same Patronus, and knew the tradition continued through her.



Ever since Anna and her fraternal twin sister, Zairah, had been born, it was obvious how different the two were.



Zairah was just like her mother, therefore she and Ginny got along together very well. Anna on the other hand, was the exact definition of ‘Daddy’s girl’. She looked just like her dad and acted just like him as well. This earned her many a harsh reprimand from her mother.



As she met up with the flow of students in the hall, she was brought back to the present. After a few moments, she had entered the empty classroom. Disappointed, she found her seat towards the front of the class. She closed her eyes, beginning to sort through happy memories.



“Anna?” a soft voice interrupted.



“Hi, dad,” Anna smiled as she opened her eyes.



“How did you get here before me?” her father asked.



“Well, I didn’t finish my breakfast, and I ran from the Great Hall to my dorm to find my wand, and then hurried to class. Is it true we are doing Patronuses?”



“It sure is,” Harry said to his daughter. Her response was a squeal of delight. Harry smiled brightly at his daughter and headed to his desk. A few moments later students began to file in, chattering as they found seats.



“All right! Let’s settle down. I have something excited planned for us today,” Harry said, moving to the front of his classroom.



“Today, in preparation of you O.W.L exams, we will learn the Patronus charm.”



There were a few gasps, ‘ooh’s’ and ‘ahh’s’.



“Quiet now,” Harry warned, “We will be going out onto the grounds to practice. Please find a partner and do not leave until I say,”



Anna hung back until she was sure everyone had been paired up. She wanted to stick with her dad.



The students slowly filed outside with Harry in the lead. He brought them to a level area of ground near the Black Lake.



“All right! Make an organized line, and please wait patiently for your turn,” Harry instructed. As the students lined up, he noticed a student had his hand raised.



“Yes, sir?” Harry inquired, pointing to the boy.



“Will you be telling us what the Patronus we produce symbolizes?”



“Yes, I will. Is everyone settled?” There was a chorus of ‘yes, professor,’



“Before we start, I’ll explain to you the procedure. We all know the Patronus charm is used to ward off Dementors. Dementors thrive to suck the happiness right from your soul. A corporeal, or full, Patronus will take the shape of an animal that embodies the witch or wizard who casts the charm. The incantation is, Expecto Patronum. Please repeat it, wands in pockets, please,”



The class repeated the incantation with a loud, singular voice.



“Very good. Now, the incantation alone is not enough. You must think of a happy memory,” Harry paused to give his students a chance to process the information he had given them. He studied the line.



A Ravenclaw boy was at the front of the line. Harry recognized him as Mark Grapper, the Seeker for the Ravenclaw Quidditch team.





“Let’s begin. Mark, please come forward,”



The boy stepped forward bravely, and raised his wand.



“Expecto Patronum!” he yelled. A light mist came from his wand.



“Nice try, but put a little more passion into the incantation,” Harry encouraged.



Expecto Patronum!” he cried, and a brilliant light erupted from the end of his wand. A light silver mist floated around before transforming into a magnificent stallion.





“Ah, horse. Symbolizes stamina, power, wisdom and freedom. Very nice work! Now you all see how this works, next, please.”



A timid Hufflepuff girl came forward, but only produced a mist after two tries.



“That’s all right! Pick a different memory next time, something more powerful,”



After about ten different students, most producing a mist, others a full Patronus, Anna came forward.



Her stomach was bubbling with excitement. She closed her eyes and thought of her happiest memory.





~~~






“Daddy! I’m so glad you are home, I’ve missed you,” Anna cried as her father stepped into their house. He had just finished his first year at Hogwarts as a professor. Anna and Zairah were just one year shy of starting school, and they had stayed home with their mother.



“Anna! I missed you too, cupcake,” Harry said, scooping his little girl into his arms.



“Momma and Zairah are waiting in the kitchen with cake,” she explained when her father put her down.



“Why aren’t you two in bed yet?” Harry inquired of his daughter, tweaking her nose.



“Daaad, it’s summer,” Anna whined.



“And nine-thirty at night!” Harry argued playfully.



“I tried to get them to go to bed, but they were adamant about waiting up to have cake with you,” Ginny said, walking into the room. She hurried to her husband and hugged him and kissed him. The girls giggled and snickered at their parents.



“Come on, let’s have cake so you two can go to bed,” Ginny said, leading her family to the kitchen.



Shortly after cake, the girls were ushered to bed. They had begged their parents to give them separate rooms for their tenth birthdays, and they had gotten their wishes.



Harry and Ginny tucked Zairah in first, and then came to Anna’s room.



“Goodnight, Anna,” Ginny said, kissing her daughter’s forehead.



“’Night Momma.”



“I’ll be along in a bit,” Harry said to Ginny.



When Ginny had left the room, Harry sat down on Anna’s bed and grinned.



“Come with me, I have a surprise for you,” he whispered.



“Daddy, what are you talking about?” Anna asked, confused.



Harry smiled and pulled his daughter out of bed. He put his finger to his lips and motioned for her to be quiet.



“Your mother would kill me if she knew I did this,” Harry whispered. Harry took Anna downstairs and out the back door. There was an object leaning against the house.



“A broom, Dad?” Anna asked sarcastically.



“Yup, we’re going flying,” Harry answered. He mounted the broom and hovered it low so Anna could climb on.



“Come on, I won’t let you fall,” Harry encouraged.



“Promise?” Anna asked uncertainly.



“Promise, cupcake.”



Anna held out her hands and clumsily climbed on the broom behind her dad.



“There, that wasn’t so bad. Hold on tight!” Harry said. Anna’s arms grasped her father’s waist tightly. She leaned her forehead against his back, afraid to look as she felt the broom rise into the air.



After a moment, Harry’s voice instructed Anna to look around.



Anna tentatively opened her eyes and look around. They were soaring! A swooping sensation filled her stomach, and she giggled.



She looked down and saw the lights of other homes.



“Dad, this so cool!” she cried.



“Hold on!”



Anna felt the broom lurch forward, and the wind increased. They made a made circle back to their own home. A few laps around the house, and they landed.



“That was the most incredible feeling I’ve ever had!” Anna giggled as she hugged her dad. “Thanks for taking me, Daddy.”



“My pleasure, cupcake.”



Harry led his daughter back to bed and tucked her in.



“I’m going to go take Zairah out now,” he said, kissing her forehead.



“Tell her it’s the best thing in the world,” Anna whispered as her father left the room. He winked at his daughter as he closed the door.



As Anna closed her eyes, she heard feet creeping past her door.





~~~




Anna was jolted back to the present when her father tapped her on the shoulder. Fifteen year-old Anna concentrated again on her memory and raised her wand.



Expecto Patronum!” A brilliant light came from the end of her wand. It didn’t take but a second for a majestic stag to form.



“A stag. Symbolizes gentleness, grace, strength, love, and nobility,” Harry explained, his voice thick with emotion.



Anna could feel tears stinging her eyes too. She was happy that her Patronus symbolized gentleness, grace, strength, love and nobility. To her, the exact description of her father.






As the students cleared at the end of the lesson, Harry had a question burning on his mind.

“Anna, what was your memory?” her father asked, moving closer to her.



“Remember the first time you took me flying?” Harry nodded. Anna hugged her father.



“I love you, Daddy.”



I love you too, cupcake.”







A/N: Thanks again to my beta. Hope you guys like this! And if you have read Harry Potter Housewife, then the name surprise has been ruined for ya! Sorry!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=69551