Harry Potter and the Faulty Prophecy by werewolvesrock
Summary: Harry Potter is going back to Hogwarts. But things have changed, he has got a girlfriend He has an army backing him and a cup has fallen in to his hands. He's ready to fight. And why are a Stag and Dog tormenting Death Eaters?




Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death, Sexual Situations, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 14648 Read: 7579 Published: 08/03/07 Updated: 12/26/07

1. Attack on Privet Drive by werewolvesrock

2. The Best Birthday by werewolvesrock

3. Responsibility by werewolvesrock

Attack on Privet Drive by werewolvesrock
Author's Notes:
Harry's in for one tough year. oh well so have I. None of J.k's creations are mine.
The night was clear, the moon shined, and the stars twinkled down on the boy in the window of the smallest bedroom of number four, Privet Drive. His vivid green eyes ached of someone who has had experiences beyond his years, suffered heartbreak, stared in to death’s face, and loved and lost. This boy was Harry Potter. The scar across his forehead, apart from his eyes, was the only clue of what this boy had been through. He was short and skinny for a boy just coming up to seventeen. He looked underfed and weak. Not so--in six short years he had been through more than most. Even by wizarding standards, he had been through too much pain.

The book in front of him was open and had smiling photos waving up at him. He turned the page and was greeted by two couples who looked almost exactly alike. One was James Potter and Lily Evans. They were in their seventh year at Hogwarts and looked as happy as could be. On the page next to them was him, Harry, and Ginny Weasley, love of his life. The only problem was that he could never be with her.

After having Voldemort, the Darkest wizard in the world, after him for the better half of six years and nearly dying several times, Harry had pointed himself out to be a danger magnet. Anyone close to him would die before long, simply for loving him. The fact that he was the only one who would be able to stop Voldemort didn’t really help the situation. Three people had already died because of him. He couldn’t be responsible for anymore deaths.

He had broken all ties with his friends and had ended it with Ginny. The only two people he was in contact with were Mad-Eye Moody and Remus Lupin. Over the two weeks at the Dursley’s, they had kept him updated on what was going on. More and more people were converting to the Dark Side by force and false promises.

Harry gazed intently at Ginny’s face, before slowly turning to the page on which he came across him and his two best friends. Ron Weasley, with flaming red hair, was tall and lanky; and next to him was Hermione Granger, who had bushy brown hair and as usual had her arms full of books; and finally himself. They were smiling and waving at the camera, all looking happy. Tears were starting to form in Harry’s eyes. He closed the book and looked around the room.

It was small, cramped, and had started to become untidy the minute he had gotten back from Hogwarts. His trunk was thrown to one side, spell books, quills, and robes spilling out. His pride and joy was leaning against his bed. The Firebolt was one of his prized possessions, which his godfather, Sirius Black, had given to him in his third year. On his bedside table was the Marauders Map, the map of Hogwarts, which had been made by his father, James, and his father’s best friends. Draped across his bed was James’s old Invisibility Cloak, the only thing Harry had that had belonged to his dad. His owl, Hedwig, was perched on a chair, eating a mouse she had caught hunting.

Harry looked at his digital clock. It was approaching midnight. In three minutes he would be seventeen, which would allow him to use magic outside school and leave Privet Drive, never to return. It was time to pack. He would be leaving in the morning for Godric’s Hollow. There he would find the remains of his old house and, more importantly, the graves of his parents.

Two minutes. He pushed all the robes, clothes, and cloaks into the trunk.

One minute. He pulled out a rucksack and shoved his Invisibility Cloak inside, along with the map.

Thirty seconds. He picked up his wand from the bedside table.

Three, two, one.

BANG. There was a loud explosion from downstairs. Harry gripped his wand. He pulled his door open and looked down the hall. Dudley’s bedroom door had opened, and Harry’s fat cousin was looking out. Harry’s aunt and uncle had flown out of their room. Uncle Vernon had a rifle in his hands.


“POTTER!”

Harry froze. That voice. Harry looked fearfully around the corner. At the bottom of the stairs was Severus Snape. Harry’s ex-Potions master had his wand drawn and was looking around.

“Who’s there?” asked Uncle Vernon. “I warn you- I’m armed.” Harry couldn’t help but grin to himself - his uncle had said the exact same words six years ago on Harry’s eleventh birthday.

“Muggle. Come down and bring Potter.” Snape’s voice was taught with anger and hatred. “Bring Potter and I won’t kill your family.”

Harry ran back into his room and pulled the Invisibility Cloak out. He draped it around himself and slid out again. Jumping silently down the stairs and avoiding the creaky step, he landed in front of Snape. He hoped he hadn’t been seen while springing down the stairs. As he crept around behind Snape, he heard Uncle Vernon again.

“He’s not in his bedroom. Please don’t kill us.” Harry could hear the terror in his uncle’s voice. He knew guns were powerless against wizards.

Harry was just about to Stun Snape when the Death Eater turned and yelled, “ACCIO CLOAK!” The cloak flew off Harry
.
Harry cursed silently. Why hadn’t he thought of that? His wand in hand, he tried to look calm, but inside his brain was telling him to run. “Hi, Snivvie. How’s Volders? And more to the point, why just you? I thought Voldemort would send more. Either that or grace me with his presence. Oh well.”

“The Dark Lord has more vital things on his mind than you, Potter. How like your father you are. You think you’re so important, just like him.”

“Yeah, and just like him, I hate your guts!” retorted Harry.
“I so begged the Dark Lord to let me finish you off myself. He denied me the privilege, but I decided to come anyway. I can just tell him I tried to capture you, but use of lethal force was required. Once I do, I will be his second in command. I killed Dumbledore, and now I’m about to kill the great Harry Potter. AVADA KEDAVRA!

As if in slow motion Harry saw the green light bursting towards him. He dove and rolled and heard a sound like a sledge hammer ploughing in to brickwork just above his head.

“Your aim’s off, Snivellus! You need to practice. Here, let me show you. Impedimenta!” Snape flew backwards, crashing into the stairs and falling to the bottom, where Harry delivered a swift kick to Snape’s face.

Blood trickled from under Snape’s hairline. Harry smiled and said, “You have no idea how long I’ve waited to do that.Tutis.” Harry waved his wand at Snape again, and chains and ropes appeared and bound him.

Harry ran back upstairs and took Hedwig out from her cage. He grabbed a roll of spare parchment and scribbled a quick note.

Moody,
I have Snape, held captive in my house. I don’t know how long I can hold him here. Please get here ASAP. Don’t worry, there aren’t any more of them here at the moment.
Harry.


“HARRY!” Aunt Petunia and Dudley burst into the room, their faces filled with fear.
“He got out!”

Harry bolted down the stairs and saw Snape standing over Uncle Vernon, who was screaming in pain, clearly under the Cruciatus Curse. Snape had his trademark sneer on his face. Harry stood there calmly.

“Let him go, Snape.”

“Why should I, Potter? How do you feel seeing your only family members getting hurt? Does it hurt you to see those you love dying?”

“Not really. I don’t really like any of these Muggles. I just thought you might want a sporting chance to go against me. But if you want me to hex you into next week, please, go ahead.”
“Are you threatening me, Potter?”

“Blimey, you are quick on the uptake. Sectumsempra!” Harry slashed at Snape with his wand. Snape’s robes shredded, as did the skin below. He fell back in pain. Harry walked forward and stood over Snape, his wand pointed at Snape’s heart.

Snape started to reach toward his wand, but Harry kicked it away. “Now, Snivvie. I could kill you where you lie. Or I could be merciful and wait for Moody. I think I’ll wait for Moody, but until then,Stupefy.” Red light soared out of Harry’s wand. Snape’s head lolled onto his shoulders.

Harry rushed over to Uncle Vernon, suddenly exhausted; the duel had taken a lot out of him. “Uncle Vernon. Wake up. Please. Uncle Vernon.”

Not again. I don‘t even like him, and now he‘s going to die because of me. Why me? First Cedric just for appearing in the graveyard with me, then Sirius for being my godfather, then Dumbledore just for teaching me, and now this!

“Potter?”

“Moody, about bloody time. I need help -- Uncle Vernon -- Cruciatus Curse -- need Mungos,” he panted.

Moody stood over and looked at Uncle Vernon. He nodded. He took hold of Uncle Vernon’s arm, and they both disappeared with a crack.

“H-Harry? What’s happening?” Fear was evident in Aunt Petunia’s voice, and the look on her face confirmed it.

“Uncle Vernon’s had to go to hospital, but we’re going to my house. We can see him when he stabilizes.” Harry decided not to tell her it was a wizard hospital. There was a loud crack behind him, and Moody reappeared. “Sir, if it’s agreeable, could I take my aunt and cousin to Grimmauld Place?”

“It’s your house, boy. Your choice, but we’d better get going.” Moody looked around. Seeing a cushion, he picked it up. “Portus.” The cushion glowed. “The activation word is ‘Voldemort is a git.’”

Harry smiled. For an old guy who was really paranoid, Moody had a good sense of humour. Harry walked up to where Dudley and Aunt Petunia stood huddled in a corner. There was a crack, and when Harry turned, Moody and Snape had gone.

“Right. You two go grab a few things. We’re going. Be in the kitchen in ten minutes.” They looked shocked at the idea of him giving them orders, but they followed them anyway. He walked up to his bedroom and pointed his wand at his trunk. “Migrus.

The trunk shrunk so Harry could fit it into his backpack. He did the same to his broom. Walking down to the kitchen, he waited for Dudley and his aunt to come downstairs. When they finally trudged in, Aunt Petunia was carrying a suitcase, while Dudley was heaving a big bag of clothes that had a television-sized bulge in.

“Dudley, where we’re going doesn’t have electricity. No point taking that, sorry.” Harry tried hard not to laugh at the look on Dudley’s face. He dropped the bag with the television in it. “Okay, touch the pillow and don’t let go. You two ready?” They nodded. “Good. Voldemort is a git!




Harry felt the all-too-familiar jerk behind his navel. Harry had never liked travelling by Portkey, and his landings hadn’t improved; all three of them landed hard and fell over. Harry looked around. They had landed in Sirius’s mother’s room, which was at that moment occupied by the hippogriff, Buckbeak.

The creature had run to the other side of the room. Harry quickly stood up and bowed deeply to the half-horse, half-bird animal. Buckbeak looked at him for a while before bowing back. Harry rushed forward and patted Buckbeak’s beak. He glanced back at the others and indicated the door. The two Muggles slid toward it and left.

“Good boy.” Harry patted the hippogriff once more and then followed.

Outside the room, Harry found Aunt Petunia and Dudley waiting for him. “Harry, what was that? Where are we?” Aunt Petunia looked around fearfully.

“That was Buckbeak. He’s a hippogriff. If you ever meet him when I’m not around, don’t be rude to him, keep eye contact, and don’t blink. Bow to him, if he bows back, you’re safe, if he doesn’t, run. And you’re in Grimmauld Place. This is the house that my godfather left me in his will. We’re here because it’s closer to St. Mungo’s than Privet Drive, and it’s safer .”

“What’s St. Mungo’s?”

“It’s the hospital that Uncle Vernon went to.”

“Does it have-urm…”

“Wizards in?” came a voice behind her. “Yeah, it’s a wizard hospital. But luckily for your husband, they’re not as prejudiced as you people are.” A young woman with bubblegum pink hair was scowling at the Dursleys.

“Hey Tonks. You okay?” Harry smiled at Tonks.

“Yeah, I’m fine, Harry. Oh, guess what?”

“What?”

“Remus got his act together.” She held up her left hand showing an engagement ring. “We’re getting married.”

“Congrats! When’d he get round to that?”

“About a week ago, now. We’ve been kind of dating since Dumbledore’s funeral, and I think Molly bullied him into asking me. But I reckon he wanted to.” She smiled at Harry.

“Got a date set yet?”

“No, but we’re trying to sort it out.”

“Great.” He suddenly remembered the Dursleys. “We need to find a room for these two,” he said indicating his aunt and cousin.

“Yeah, sure. Come with me.”

They followed Tonks down the corridor and up some stairs until they reached the attic rooms. She opened the door, and they caught sight of a room that was smothered in dust and cobwebs, and which smelt damp and old. It was clear no one had been in this room for years.

“Might need to be cleaned up a bit, though.” Tonks smirked slightly at the look on Aunt Petunia’s face.

“You expect me to clean this?” she squealed.

“No, I’ll do it.Scourgify!” Tonks waved her wand at the room. The dust lifted, and the bed made itself, throwing dust off the sheets. The window cleaned and the curtains freed themselves of the dust, cobwebs, and dead insects that had settled on them. The two Dursleys looked on in amazement. Tonks glanced at Harry and winked.

“Can I try that, Tonks? I mean, I am allowed, now,” Harry asked, smiling sweetly.

“Sure, go for it, Harry.” She winked back. They walked to the next room.

Scourgify!” Harry brought his wand down in a swooping movement. The room was spotless in seconds. As he looked at the room, he was sure it was cleaner than the one Tonks had just magicked cleaned.

“Bloody hell, Harry. You did better than me,” she said and clapped. Harry gave a fake bow, a smile alighting his face.

The two Dursleys’ mouths were hanging open at what Harry had just done.




Harry and Tonks left the Dursleys up in their rooms to get sorted and made their way to the kitchen. As they entered, a small canon ball flew at Harry.

“Harry Potter, sir, Dobby is so pleased to see you again!” The little elf beamed up at Harry, his tennis ball eyes wide.

“Hey, Dobby. What are you doing here?”

“Dobby is working here, now, sir. After Professor Dumbledore passed,” Dobby’s ears drooped slightly, “the governors dismissed Dobby. They didn’t want an elf that wanted pay, sir. Mr. Lupin asked Dobby if he wanted to work in Harry Potter’s house. Dobby was so happy! Dobby doesn’t even want paying. Not if he’s in the employ of Harry Potter, sir.”

“Thanks, Dobby. Do me a favour and go and check on my aunt and cousin. Their rooms are on the top floor.”

“Anything, Harry Potter, sir.”

Harry turned to the three people sitting at the table. Remus Lupin was looking shabbier than last time. Harry remembered that it had been a full moon the night before, but Lupin still beamed at Harry. Tonks was there and had seated herself practically on Lupin’s lap. Moody was at the sink, washing his magical eye. Harry heard him mutter words like, “Scum…Crouch…stuck.”

Harry knew Moody was referring to when Barty Crouch Jr. had kidnapped Moody and pretended to be him in Harry’s fourth year. This seemed to have made Moody even more jumpy than before.

“Professor Lupin. How are you?”

“Harry, I have told you call me Remus. And I’m fine, especially after…” he trailed off looking adoringly at Tonks.

“Yeah, I heard about that. Congratulations.”

“Thanks. And happy birthday, Harry. We were going to come and get you today, anyway. There’s a big party for you at the Burrow.”

Harry’s face fell.

“Harry what’s wrong?” Tonks looked at him concernedly.

“Ginny,” he said simply.

“We heard,” said Lupin. “Harry, don’t drop her over a small matter like Voldemort. She must have been one of the best things that ever happened to you. Think about it. Yeah she’s upset, but she’ll get you back, you know what she’s like.”

Harry nodded; he knew exactly how Ginny always seemed to get her way.

“But what if she doesn’t want me back? And even if she does,” he said quickly, “I can’t. Voldemort would kill her just because she loves me. How would I feel if that happened?”

“She’s in danger anyway, Harry. Remember her dad, he’s one of the biggest blood traitors there is. Do you really think Voldemort is going to leave them alone?”

“No, I suppose not.”

“Precisely. And Harry, right now you’re the biggest threat to Voldemort. She’ll be much safer having your emotional support. Harry, I feel safer knowing you.”

“Yeah, I suppose. I’ll think about it. Thanks Pro- I mean Remus.” Harry smiled.

“Pleasure, Harry. We’ve moved all your stuff to the master bedroom since it’s your house. See you tomorrow. ‘Night.”

“’Night.”

Harry climbed the stairs to a large bedroom with a deep purple, four-poster bed. He climbed in fully-clothed and fell asleep the minute his head touched the pillow.
The Best Birthday by werewolvesrock
Author's Notes:
i know after this chapter i'll have some explaining to do and it will come i promise
THE BEST BIRTHDAY

Harry awoke after only four hours of sleep. He looked around the room, which was now bathed in early morning sunlight. It had a hard, polished wood floor, with a sheepskin rug in front of a fireplace. On the mantle were pictures of James, Sirius, Remus and another boy (whose face had been burnt off), Harry, Ron, Hermione, and other members of the Order.

Next to the fireplace was a old Hogwarts trunk with S.B. marked on to the top. Harry bent down and opened it. Inside were old robes, spell books, and a small wooden box.

He pulled out the box. There was a small plaque on the front which read The Marauders’ Box. His hands shaking, Harry opened the box. Inside was…nothing. Disappointed, Harry put the box down and continued to examine the room.

A large, sheet-covered object stood in the corner furthest from the bed. Pulling the sheet off, Harry gasped, his eyes wide. He had found Sirius’s infamous flying motorcycle. It was a ‘51 Harley-Davidson Pan Head. A helmet with the face of a large black dog on the back hung on the handle bars, and over the visor there was the word Padfoot. Over the seat was draped a leather jacket. On the back of this there was a large phoenix patch, with a dog, stag, and a wolf centred around it. It was evident that there had been another patch at the bottom, but it had been torn off. Going across the top were the words Marauders forever. On the right arm there was another patch of the Gryffindor lion and over the left was a patch of the Hogwarts crest.

Harry pulled the jacket off the bike and put it on. He smiled - this jacket was a perfect reminder of Sirius. Next to the bike were two other Hogwarts trunks. One had J.P. marked out clearly, and there were burn marks on it. The contents were exactly the same as Sirius’s, except there was a broom, photos of a girl (whom Harry recognised as Lily), and tied to the broom was a sock which was struggling, as if something inside was trying to escape.

Reaching out for the socks, Harry prepared himself for the worst. He untied the top of the socks, and a golden ball flew out. Harry flicked out his wrist quickly and caught it. The Snitch had J.P. scratched into the side. The wings fluttered, as if clamouring for freedom. Harry let the ball go. It started to fly around the room, dodging inanimate objects as it went.

Harry followed it with his eyes for a while before turning to the broom. On the side it was Nimbus One Thousand. written in gold near the top. Tied around the top was a Gryffindor scarf. The initials L.E. were stitched into it. Harry smiled. At least his mother had supported his dad in his last Quidditch days.

The trunk next to that had L.E. carefully printed on to it. He opened this one to find more spell books (which were in much better condition than the ones in the first two trunks). There were Muggle pictures of the Evans family, wizard pictures of James, and a set of James’s old Quidditch robes. Harry didn‘t feel the odd cramping sensation he normally had when ever his mum and dad were mentioned; instead he had a contented feeling that he was not at all familiar with.

As he stood up, there was a loud Crack! and Dobby appeared next to him.

“Harry Potter, sir. Sir must come with Dobby. Mr. Potter’s Dursleys are upset. Come sir, in the kitchen.”

“Okay, Dobby, I’ll be down now.”

Harry followed Dobby down the stairs and into the kitchen. Aunt Petunia and Dudley were seated at the table. Both had tears running down their faces. Even though Harry loathed them for making his life hell, he couldn’t help feeling sorry for them.

“What’s wrong?” He asked. He had never seen either this upset.

Moody stood up. “Vernon Dursley is in a very bad condition. They’ve the best Healers they have on him. Even if he does wake up it is uncertain what his mental state will be. He might have to stay in St. Mungos full-time.”

“Like the Longbottoms?” Harry knew only two people that had been tortured into insanity.

“Yes. He would also need his own room, so that the other patients don’t hurt him and him not being able to defend himself with magic. This room will need paying for. Do you wish to pay the hospital fee?”

“Let him wake up and we’ll see how bad he is,” Harry said. Even though Uncle Vernon had been worse than Aunt Petunia and had encouraged Dudley’s torture of him, Harry still felt responsible for his uncle. Moody turned to the fireplace, then he stopped and looked at the Dursleys.

“I’m sorry. You can visit him when the Healers have stabilized him.” Moody nodded and left in a burst of emerald flames.

Lupin, laughing, walked in just then with Tonks holding his arm. “Did I just hear Mad-Eye? What’s happen-” He stopped and stared at Harry. “Bloody hell, Harry. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that was Sirius’s old jacket.”

Harry flushed, not realising Lupin would recognise the jacket. “It is, Remus. I found it while I was looking around his room, along with all their trunks. My dad’s old broom, Mum’s old spell books, a Snitch, a bike, and a small wooden box. Know anything about the Marauders’ Box?” Harry looked at Lupin with his eyebrows raised.

“Oh yes, James and Sirius’s most amazing achievement, apart from the Animagus spell, that is. Just say, ‘More Mischief’. Just don’t let Fred and George have it. It’s got homemade pranks, plans, and notes on the Animagus spell.” Lupin’s eyes glazed over, thinking of happier times.

“Anyway, Harry,” Tonks turned from Lupin to Harry, “what’s happening with your uncle?”

“He’s gone to St. Mungos. He could be permanently out cold. Or he wakes up and has no idea who he is for the rest of his life. And best case scenario is he wakes up, gets better, and comes here with the other two.”

“Well, do these two have any idea what they want to do today? I mean, we’re going to Gringotts at eleven, then the Burrow afterwards. It’s coming-of-age party time. Should be good. Oh, happy birthday.”

“Thanks, Tonks. But I’m still not overly comfortable with Ginny.”

“Easy. Kiss and make up. And do it before you say you can’t remember what Remus said last night.”

“Okay. I’ll try. But still. Anyway,” Harry turned to the Dursleys, “what do you two want to do? If you want something to take your mind off Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, this place has a garden…I think. And Dudley can come shopping if he wants to.”

“Thanks, H-Harry, but I don’t have any tools with me to garden with.” Aunt Petunia had seemed to brighten up at the prospect of gardening.

“Easily sorted.” Remus waved his wand over a set of cutlery. The fork turned into a gardening fork, the spoon turned into a trowel, and the knife into sheers. He then retrieved a pair of dragon hide gloves from a drawer. Aunt Petunia took the gloves and the tools carefully, as if afraid they might bite her hands off. After she was sure it was safe, she walked out with Tonks to get started on the garden.

Dudley had disappeared through a doorway at the sight of the wand, but he reappeared now, looking around carefully for any sign of the more magic. “Where will we be going shopping, Harry?” Since the previous night, Dudley had been relatively polite to Harry.

“London, Dudley. But if you’re scared of magic you might not want to come. We’re going to Diagon Alley, a wizard’s street filled with magic shops.”

“I’ll come. As long as no one puts a spell on me.”

“Hey, there’s a thought, Remus. Can Muggles go into Diagon Alley?”

“Yes, as long as they are accompanied by a witch or wizard,” said Remus, smiling.

“Oh, I already have some money left over from my last trip, so why do we have to go to Gringotts?”

Lupin’s face fell. “Well, the reading of Dumbledore’s will. You need to be present, as well as myself, Molly, Minerva, and a man named Tom Riddle.”

Harry‘s jaw dropped. “What, Voldemort? Why? How?” He was trying to see why Dumbledore’s nemesis had to be present at his will reading.

“All people that Dumbledore wished to be present have got to be present. Voldemort has agreed to an uneasy truce. Just for today. Now this is important, Harry - no attacking him. If we break the arrangement then he will be within his rights to attack us.”

“Okay, but I’m keeping my wand, and no Death Eaters,” said Harry, face set.

“How like James you are. But all wands are being confiscated at the doors of Gringotts these days. And no, only those he asked to be present will be present.”

“Fine. But I don’t like it.”

“Thank you, Harry.”




The trio of Harry, Remus, and Dudley was standing outside Gringotts. Dudley was looking around in amazement. He flinched as two small children on toy broomsticks flew past him. He looked half petrified, half fascinated by the comings and goings of a wizard alley.

“Once more in to the breach, dear friends.” Remus looked at the other two. Dudley had remained close to Harry and Remus while walking up towards Gringotts.

They climbed up the steps and entered the bank. A goblin was at the top of the steps waiting for them (Dudley flinched and moved closer to the other two). He was wearing the Gringotts uniform, but his hooked nose all in all reminded Harry of a mini-version of Snape.

“I will have to ask for your wands. Due to - hem hem - recent circumstances, no magical items are allowed inside the building. I will number them and give you a ticket. The only person to arrive now is Mr. Riddle.”

Remus and Harry handed their wands over and got two small chips with numbers on them. The goblin lead them into a long corridor where Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Professor McGonagall were sitting on chairs lined up against the wall.

“Harry, how are you?” Mrs. Weasley stood and pulled Harry into a bear hug.

“I’m fine, Mrs. Weasley,” he croaked, “but air is becoming an issue.” He had decided to joke to lighten the atmosphere. Everyone except McGonagall gave half-hearted laughs.

“How are you, Harry?” asked Mr. Weasley, standing up to shake Harry’s hand. “How are your aunt and cousin? I’m hoping they can help me with enchanting a felevision.”

“I’m fine, Mr. Weasley, and I expect my cousin will be glad to help. He loves TV.”

“Oh, good. If they would like, we’ve decided to invite them to the party.”

“Urm, sure. Oh, Mr. Weasley, this is Dudley. You can ask him whatever you want about television.” Harry moved aside to allow the two to talk. Dudley looked nervous. The last time he had seen this particular wizard, Mr. Weasley had been trying to shrink his tongue (which had grown courtesy of Fred and George).

Harry walked over to Professor McGonagall. “Are you okay, professor?” The teacher looked up at him; her eyes were red and puffy and she looked like she hadn’t slept since Harry had last seen her.

“I’m fine, Harry.” This was one of the rare times she had called him by his first name. “It’s just… I thought he’d be around to help me run the school. I just never realised how hard it was. And term hasn’t even started.”

Harry nodded, just as a goblin walked in to the room with none other than Lord Voldemort. Everybody in the room squeaked and ran to the far end, all except Harry.

He walked forward and held out his hand, jaw set. “Hello, Tom, you’re looking a lot more peaky since last time we met. About a year ago wasn’t it?” Harry had been preparing himself for this. Over the summer, not only had he been learning how to enhance his spells, but he had also been practising his Occlumency. Harry allowed himself an inwards smile. He had been trying to build up his mental shield since Dumbledore’s funeral, and this was the first time it had been put to the test.
Harry concluded it had worked. for as he and Voldemort had contact, his scar barely tickled.

“Yes it was, Potter. I see you are seemingly unafraid of me, unlike this Muggle-loving scum. And what’s this, a Muggle?” He leered at Dudley. “Is this possibly the son of the uncle that one of my Death Eaters sent to St. Mungos, likely never to recover?”

“Yeah, but if I remember, I kind of sent Snivellus to Azkaban. Or have you already broken him out?”

“I’m planning on leaving him there. I only wanted him to get the rest of the prophecy out of you. I know you know it. Why don’t you just tell me?”

“No, Tom. We’re here for a reason. I respect Dumbledore, as do you, though you may not know it. And I do not wish to fight you, verbally or physically,” Harry lied. He wanted to cause the monster in front of him as much pain as possible.

They all followed the goblin into a long room, leaving Dudley sitting out in the hall.




They seated themselves around a long table. Harry at the top end, Lupin and McGonagall on one side, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley on the other side. Voldemort was sitting down at the far end. A goblin sat in the middle, holding a small, orb-like object. The goblin stood on the chair to lean forward as far as possible to place the orb in the middle of the table.

“I am Griphook, Gringotts goblin banker and will-reader. We are gathered to hear the will reading of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorcerer, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, Supreme Mugwump, International Confederation of Wizards. All the wishes will be fulfilled. Thank you.” The goblin ran his long finger around the object. It jumped up and disappeared in a flash of bright light. In its place was a transparent, ghostlike Dumbledore.

“This is the last will and testament of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. First of all, I must congratulate Tom Marvolo Riddle. You finally got rid of me, Tom. You must be pleased.” Voldemort sneered in agreement.

“Now on with the show. To Lupin, Remus, I leave the possession and ownership of one Shrieking Shack, where he had both good and bad memories. Also, as there does appear to be a jinx on the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, I can presume we are short of staff. So I wish for you to take over. In my office on my desk you will find the counterjinx. I also leave him with twenty-five percent of my personal gold. That is all I leave Lupin, Remus.

“Next to McGonagall, Minerva, I leave ownership and responsibility of Hogwarts School. With this comes the Sorting Hat and my collection of rather fine woollen socks.” The ghostlike Dumbledore smiled. “May you never have cold feet like I so often had. That is all I leave McGonagall, Minerva.

“To Potter, Harry, I leave another twenty-five percent of my personal gold. I also leave him my phoenix, Fawkes, and all the possessions in my office, except those expressly left to someone else. This includes Godric Grffindor’s wand and sword. I am also expressing a wish for the continuation of the club known as Dumbledore’s Army. I would also like dueling classes to be given. Both of these I want you, Mr. Potter, to lead and teach. I also leave you with my office and living quarters, as well as the leadership of a certain Order. That is all I leave Potter, Harry.

“To Riddle, Tom, I leave a necklace that can be found in vault seven hundred and thirteen, and Salazar Slytherin’s wand. That is all I leave Riddle, Tom.

“To the Weasley family, I leave the rest of my gold,” - Mrs. Weasley gasped and almost fell out of her chair - “and all of Fred and George Weasley’s detention cards. Have fun. That is all I leave the Weasley family. And as we draw to a close, I have a few more words to add. And these are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you.” He bowed his head and disappeared.

The room remained silent for a while. Remus just stared at where Dumbledore had stood, muttering to himself. McGonagall was crying. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were silent with the prospect of being suddenly rich. Harry was smiling; he was sure he could use the items in Dumbledore’s office to rid the world of a certain piece of dirt. The piece of dirt in particular seemed deep in thought.

Voldemort recovered from his pensive moment and stood. “I will take what is mine and take my leave.” He stared around maliciously with a look that said clearly, ‘I will kill you all.’ “We will meet again, Harry Potter.” He turned and walked majestically out the room.

“I look forward to it, Tom,” Harry called after him.




Harry, Remus, Tonks, Moody, and Dudley arrived at the Burrow via Portkey at two that afternoon. At the sight of Dudley, the twins’ faces erupted into malicious grins. Harry wondered what they had cooked up for him. Ron ran at him, giving him a hug and banging him on the back. Hermione was next; she ran forward, hugged him, and kissed him on the cheek. Hagrid was there, as was Neville Longbottom, and Bill and Charlie Weasley. Of Ginny there was no sign.

The festivities started with Fred and George showing off their new joke shop products - their main victim was Dudley, letting loose hell on him frequently throughout the day. First, he erupted into a very large, pig-like creature. “Animal Toffees; turns the person into whatever animal best suits their character!” Then came “Hot Air Bubblegum; for use only inside.” This was because the minute Dudley tried blowing a bubble, it lifted him off the ground, and he bounced around on the ceiling until Mrs. Weasley popped it. Dudley looked very annoyed, but he seemed to look more comfortable around magic now he knew no one here would intentionally hurt him (much).

At four o’clock Mrs. Weasley let them into the kitchen to get their hands on the food. Harry had to laugh at the look on Dudley’s face - he looked like Christmas had come early. After they were all stuffed (even Dudley), it was game time. They played a mini game of Quidditch with Dudley looking on in amazement as he watched Harry catch the Snitch nine times, beating Charlie. It was then Ginny came down. Harry’s heart flipped, knowing what he would have to do later that night. She said she had been finishing homework.

She goaded Harry into a Seeking challenge, which Harry accepted. They flew around, neck in neck at throughout the chasing. She won every catch, grabbing the Snitch from under Harry’s nose for most of the time. They landed panting. Ginny wouldn’t catch Harry’s eye no matter how long he looked at her.

When eight o’clock came, Harry was sent outside while the kitchen and living-room were being tidied up and quickly decorated. Harry was sat on a bench watching Hermione’s cat, Crookshanks, chase a small man with a potato-shaped head.

Harry laid his head in his hands and tried to think of a way to get Ginny to talk to him. It was then that he saw a petite figure walking down from the orchard. He stood up and took a breath.

He was in the shadows as she passed, but he stepped out and said, “Ginny.”

She stopped and looked at him. “Harry.” She was staring at him with a cold look on her face, her eyes hiding something deeper.

“We need to talk.”

“We do?” A look of genuine surprise flitted across her face. “What about?”

“Us, Ginny.”

“There’s nothing to talk about. I know the reasons. Even though I don’t agree with them, I respect them,” she said gazing at him coldly.

“Ginny, don’t look at me like that. That was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. What I’m trying to say is, I’m sorry.”

“AND WHAT THE HELL IS THAT GOING TO DO, HARRY? MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER? I DON’T THINK SO!” Her face was slowly going red.

“I’m sorry. Look, I realise what I did hurt you. And as much as it hurt, I had to do it. But there’s something that hit me when I was alone with the Muggles, and with a little help from Remus.”

“Yeah, and what’s that, Potter?” She took a step forward. Harry winced - she looked as if she were going to hit him.

“I love you.” Ginny looked at him, trying to see if he were joking or not. “And then Lupin made me realise something else. Just because I am who I am doesn’t mean I can’t have a life. I guess what I’m trying to say is, will you have me back? Forgive me.”

Ginny took a step back. She looked as if she had had one of the best surprises in her life. “H-Harry, I don’t know. How can I be sure you aren’t going to do another runner?”

“Because of this.” He stepped forward, took her by the shoulders and kissed her. At first she tensed up, but after a second she relaxed. Her arms wrapped around Harry, and his hand reached up into her hair.

They kissed for what felt like hours. They heard clapping coming from the direction of the house and, looking round, saw that all the party guests were standing at assorted windows and the kitchen door, clapping and cheering. Ron stepped forward.

“Harry, it’s about bloody time you came to your senses. Now come on in and open your presents.” As everyone else disappeared inside he turned to Harry, “And just so you know, if you hurt her like that or in any other way again, you’ll have five brothers to deal with, so watch out.”

“Yes sir.” Harry mocked a salute.

Ron returned inside with the others, leaving Harry and Ginny alone outside. Harry wrapped an arm around her shoulders, and they walked in.




They settled around the big armchair that Harry was pushed into by Ginny. She perched on the arm and put her arm around him. Bill, Charlie, Fred, George, and Bill’s fiancé, Fleur, were squeezed on to the sofa. Ron and Hermione occupied the loveseat, with Neville sitting on the arm next to Ron. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley sat on the partner armchair next to the one Harry and Ginny were seated on. Hagrid had kneeled down as to avoid hitting his head on the low ceiling. Dudley was also on the floor, looking uncomfortable as Hagrid sat in front of him (he was remembering the pig’s tail Hagrid had given him six years before). Lupin, Tonks, McGonagall, and Moody were seated on kitchen chairs.

Silence fell as Harry reached for the first present. It was from Charlie. As he tore off the paper, he felt the box jerk. On the top of the leather case was the Gryffindor lion. Harry opened it to find a large, bright red ball the size of a football, two jet-black balls struggling to get loose from their restraints, which were slightly smaller than the first, though they looked heavier, and lastly a golden, walnut sized ball. Harry grinned at the full Quidditch set.

“Bloody hell, Charlie, where’d you get this from?”

“There was a sale at Quality Quidditch Supplies. Do you like?”

“Do you have to ask?”

“Not really.”

He pushed the Quidditch ball set aside to pick up another parcel. The bad wrapping indicated it was Hagrid’s. He tore it off to find a small, strong cardboard box. Something was moving around inside. Harry pulled off the lid and was met by three pairs of eyes. The puppy stood on its hind legs to look out with its three heads. Harry looked down at the creamy white dog with adoration; He didn‘t normally go to pieces over animal, but this was an exception. It looked like a normal Labrador puppy, apart from the three heads.

“Do yer like ’im? ’E won’t git as big as Fluffy. Should get as big as a normal dog. ’E don’t have a name yet, so you name ’im.”

Harry looked up at his friend. Then down at the puppy. “Sirius.” He turned to Lupin and said, “He would like that.” Lupin nodded his approval.

Harry picked ’Sirius’ up and put him between himself and the arm not occupied by Ginny. Once there, the three heads started licking Harry’s hand.

“Thanks, Hagrid.”

“Gla’ yer like ’im,” he said with a sniff.

Once Sirius had settled, Harry picked up Ron’s present. It felt like a book. He turned to look at his friend. “Books Ron? I’m disappointed in you. Hermione’s books. You’re sweets.” Harry pretended to look offended as he tore the wrapping off.

Three books fell out, bound together with a leather strap with Quidditch through the ages; Volume I, II and III written on the spines. Harry looked up at his friend. “I take it back.”

Putting the books aside, Harry picked up another one. This one was a large, lumpy parcel wrapped in brown paper. He didn‘t have to look at the label to tell it was from Mrs. and Mr. Weasley. He opened it to find a jumper with a phoenix pattern on the front. There was also a tin of homemade shortbread. He looked at the two oldest Weasleys.

“I got to work on the jumper as soon as we got back from Gringotts today,” said Mrs. Weasley. “After, well, you know-” Harry nodded; he was going to tell the others about Dumbledore’s will after the present opening

“Yeah. Thanks. I’ll tell you later, guys.” Everybody, apart from those who were at the reading of the will, had looked at him strangely.

He reached out and found another book-shaped parcel, this one from Lupin. As he tore the paper off, he looked at the book in amazement. How to Find Your Inner Animal; instructions on how to find your Animagus form.

He looked up at Lupin, who shrugged. “I bought it before you found all that stuff this morning, but I’m sure it has better instructions than those left by two teen wizards.”

“I’ll have a look. Thanks,” a sly look appeared on Harry’s face, “Moony.” He winked.

“Hey, Harry, you could be the future Prongs, so keep quiet.”

The Weasley twins were looking at the two strangely. “As in Messrs. Moony -”

“- Wormtail -”

“- Padfoot -”

“- and Prongs?”

“Yes. Fred, George, allow me to introduce you to Mister Moony.” Harry pointed to Lupin.

“What?”

“All this time?”

“A legend was under our noses?”

“Who were Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs?”

Lupin looked at them. “I’ll tell you later,” he glanced at Mrs. Weasley, “somewhere your mother cannot kill me.”

Everyone laughed.

Harry picked up Hermione’s gift next. Inside was Harding’s Best Counter Curses. Harry smiled at Hermione.

“Thanks for that, Hermione, sure to come in useful.”

He reached for another book-shaped present. He was starting to understand what Dumbledore had meant in his first year: ‘One can never have enough socks. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.’


Harry smiled at the memory of his old headmaster as he tore the wrapping off of The Wizard’s Guide to the Good Stuff in Life from Bill and Fleur. Harry looked around and saw the last book-shaped item he picked it up and opened it. The Aurors of the Century, from Neville. As Harry flicked through it, he found two pages that had been marked. Harry turned to them. The first one was about Frank Longbottom; Harry smiled. The next was of James Potter. Harry met Neville’s eyes. They both knew how the other felt about the fates of his parents.

Putting the book carefully aside, Harry selected a large box wrapped in neutral brown paper with ’Moody’ scrawled across the top. Opening it, he found the large chest that impostor Moody had hidden the real Moody in while Harry was in his fourth year. Spellotaped to the top were the keys.

“Thanks for that, sir.”

“You’re welcome. And I’ll have enough of that ’sir’ rubbish. Just call me Alastor or Mad-Eye from now on. Understand?”

“Yes, si- I mean, Alastor.”

Harry picked up another box. Opening it, he was greeted with the three W’s of Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes.

“All the new products,” said George.

“We’ll be releasing them at Christmas,” continued Fred.

“So nobody but you will have them.”

“Use them wisely.” Fred winked at Harry. Harry smiled and put the box aside.

The last small parcel turned out to be a roll of rules expressly for Harry when at Hogwarts.

“I’ll read them later,” he told McGonagall, “but now I have something to tell you all.” They looked at him. “It’s about Professor Dumbledore’s will. He left me some stuff. But out of all of it, the most important thing he gave me was, well - urm…” He turned to McGonagall for help.

“What Harry is trying to say is, Albus left him the leadership of the Order of the Phoenix. Potter also has a certain job at the school. As of now, Harry Potter is no longer a student of Hogwarts, he is the Professor of Advanced Duelling and club advisor of Dumbledore‘s Army.” When she had finished, everyone looked at Harry with shocked expressions on their faces. Dudley looked puzzled.

Hagrid then spoke, “Bes’ thin’ fer the Order. Harry’ll be a grea’ leader.”

“I agree.” Lupin had stood up. “Not that it’s up for discussion, but I expect not all of the Order will like having a seventeen-year-old in charge. Even if it is Harry. But I for one am staying, and I’m behind you one hundred percent. If Dumbledore thought you could do it, so do I.”

“One bit of advice, Potter,” growled Mad-Eye. “Every Dark wizard in Voldemort’s command will be after you now, and that means CONSTANT VIGILANCE!” He smiled. “But after what you’ve done, I think no one could do the job better.” He nodded and looked around at the room.

Bill, Charlie, and the twins all nodded. McGonagall smiled. Hermione, Ron, and Neville looked at him, their mouths open. Mr. and Mrs Weasley smiled proudly. And Ginny sat there beaming at Harry, prouder even than her parents. They had all agreed.

“Now!” said Fred. “Can we please get on with the party? I believe we have a mass display of fireworks to watch.”

As everyone started going outside for Fred and George’s firework display, Harry felt felt Ginny’s breath in his ear. “I’ll give you my present later.” She kissed him lightly on the cheek and followed the others.

Harry scooped Sirius up and went outside to watch the mass production of fireworks Fred and George had made.




Harry sat outside on a log, his face illuminated by the blazing bonfire. Everyone had gone to bed, and those who lived at Grimmauld Place had gone home, leaving Harry with a Portkey to get back with.

He watched the flames dance merrily around the charred bits of wood. Ash was falling down on to his head, but he didn’t care. It was then he felt an arm curl around him. Ginny stood behind him, smiling.

“What are you doing up? I thought you went to bed,” Harry pretended to scold her.

She laughed. “Well, I did say I would give you your present later. So here.” She held out her hand. He held out his to receive his present.

He felt the cold touch of metal, and when he looked at the object in his hand he gaped at it. No one had given him anything like it. The ring had two hands holding a heart with a crown on top of it moulded into the top. It was a dark golden colour.

“I-Is that gold?”

“Yeah.”

“Ginny, I can’t. It just doesn’t feel right.”

“Harry, I know what this is about. And Mum told me we have money now. Dumbledore left us a load. I meant to give it to you after Dumbledore’s funeral, but you kind of broke up with me.”

“Yeah, I remember. Again, sorry. So what is it?”

It’s a Claddagh Ring. The heart represents love, the hands, friendship, and the crown, loyalty. You wear it with the heart pointing towards you if you’re in a relationship. I’ve got one, too.” She held up her hand where there was a ring like Harry’s, only thinner.

“Thank you.” He slid it on and looked at it. He then took her into his arms and held her. She looked up at him and pulled him down towards her.

It felt as if a beautiful song were playing through the air. Then they realised there was music. It was bird song. They looked toward the bonfire as a bird erupted from the centre. It was singing. It flew around them, leaving a long trail of fire through the air and landed on the ground, looking up at Harry.

“Fawkes.” Harry bent down to look at the bird, using his finger to stroke the bird down its back. It trilled off another note. Ginny bent down with Harry and looked closely at the fire bird.

“It looks familiar, Harry. Where have I seen it before?”

“Don’t you remember, Ginny?” She shook her head. “Fawkes was down in the Chamber of Secrets. He helped fight the basilisk, and he healed me. He was Dumbledore’s.”

“I remember, vaguely, I was near death, when a handsome boy came in and saved my life.” She smiled at Harry, then she indicated Fawkes. “So what’s he doing here?”

“He’s mine. Dumbledore left him to me in his will, along with his study, living quarters, and Godric Gryffindor’s wand.”

“Whoa. Dumbledore must have trusted you a lot.“ She gave a huge yawn. “Anyway, I’m shattered Harry, I’d better go to bed. You can show Fawkes his new home.” She gave Harry one last hug and kiss, then walked into the darkness of the house.

“You know something, Fawkes?” He looked down at the bird, who looked up at him expectantly. “This had been the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

And with that, he gathered up Fawkes, gripped the Portkey, and disappeared.


A/N: please review

Chapter Three: “There’s an old magic. Blood magic. Using the blood magic, you can bind your wand to you. It makes it more powerful and gives you more control. I did it after Dumbledore died. The curses I used on Snape had my whole power put behind them. If you do that hardly, any shield known will be able to block it. That’s why I was so breathless afterwards.”
Responsibility by werewolvesrock
Responsibility

Harry awoke the morning after his birthday in a panic. Too much had happened too soon. Not only had he been given his own class and club to instruct, he had been set up as the new leader of the Order of the Phoenix. A class and club he could handle, but the Order, he couldn’t handle it. No matter what his friends said, he didn’t feel as though he could.

He pulled himself up so he was sitting up against the headboard. Fawkes was asleep with his head tucked under his wing; Hedwig was in the same position. Sirius was asleep at the base of the bed, one head with one eye open. Harry swung his legs over to the floor and stood up. Looking around the room, he made his way over to the three trunks of his mum, dad, and Sirius.

Opening Sirius’s, he found the wooden box with The Marauder‘s Box .
He tapped it with his wand. “More Mischief.”

Etchings started to appear in the wood on top of the box.

Messrs. Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs
Purveyors of Aid to Magical Mischief-Makers,
And Makers of the Marauder’s Map
Are proud to present
THE MARAUDER’S BOX
Warning: Any bodily harm that befalls the user of the box is not the responsibility the Marauders.


Harry was eager to see the contents of the box. He opened it quickly and three objects flew at him. A bag containing a sticky substance in soared up and burst over Harry first, then a bag of feathers flew and exploded, the feathers sticking to Harry head and torso, and the last was a large bag of Dungbombs. The bombs hit Harry squarely on the forehead and burst. From the smell that was now engulfing Harry’s head, Dungbombs grew more effective over time.

Harry stood, shaking his head, and stumbled to the bathroom. Looking in the bathroom cabinet mirror, he saw that he resembled a large chicken.

“Bugger. I’m going to kill Remus.”

He marched down to the room he knew Remus was using. “REMUS, GET YOUR MARAUDER ARSE OUT HERE!”

Harry heard movement behind the door. After a few moments, the door opened and Remus appeared, looking very startled.

“Harry, what’s…oh,” he said, catching sight (and smell) of Harry.

“That bloody box.”

Remus was having a hard time keeping his face straight. “I should have warned you James and Sirius liked planting booby traps for each other in the box. Judging from the Dungbombs and chicken feathers, I’m going to have to say, Prongs has struck for one last time.” Remus grinned at Harry. “Ruddy hell, Harry, you stink.” At this, Remus could no longer resist breaking down into hysterical laughter.

“Thanks for the support and offering to help me get washed up, Remus, I really appreciate it.” Harry grinned at the hysterical man.

“Sorry, Harry.” Remus waved his wand and the feathers and sticky substance disappeared; however, the smell of Dungbombs hung in the air. “I bet James and Sirius are up there right now laughing their heads off,” said Remus

Harry grinned and walked off to have a very overly scented bath. Once he got out, he walked back to the Box. He cast a quick shield around himself and opened it. Nothing else jumped out.

Inside the box was larger than the outside. Scattered around were books, rolled up parchment, vials of potion, and a large bag. Pulling up one of the books, he saw on the cover, the diaries and journal of Mr. Prongs . Harry gaped at the book. Pulling out the three other books he saw there was a diary and journal for each of the Marauders.

Harry grinned. For the next few days he was going to have some very interesting reading material.




Narcissa Malfoy was on her way to meet one of the Carrows. The walk over the Salisbury plains had taken a while and she was approaching Stonehenge. Alecto Carrow had found the location of Draco from the Dark Lord and Narcissa need to know her son was safe and sound. She new that Voldemort would most likely torture him for not fulfilling his task, but he would not have been killed.

The night was dark and the new moon shone down onto the flat fields and woodland of the plains. Stonehenge stood dark shadows with a glowing light in the middle. The sight was highly peculiar to see.

She stepped over the wire the Muggles had placed around the monument and approached the centre. It was then she saw it -- a pure white stag stood proudly in the middle, at its feet lay the torn, trampled and mangled body of Alecto Carrow. She was breathing, but only just.

“Malfoy…run!” the broken woman yelled with the last of her strength as her head fell and she spent her last breath.

Narcissa turned and ran. She couldn’t Apparate because of the ancient wards surrounding the monument and the surrounding seven miles.

She turned and tripped, landing face down in the mud. She heard a bark that sounded like laughter. She looked up into the gleaming eyes of a large bear-like dog. She stood, staring at the dog. There was something eerily familiar about it. It was then she heard a stamp of a hoof behind her. Standing behind her was the stag. Its large hazel eyes bore into her own.

The stag took one step towards her, and she slipped on the mud behind her and fell down hard. The dog gave another bark, which sounded just as mocking as the other bark had. She realised where she had heard that laugh before -- her cousin used to laugh like that, but he was human, and he was dead.

She again stumbled to her feet and ran, slipping and sliding. She could hear the pounding of the stag’s hooves and the padding of the dog’s paws. Her heart was in her mouth as she ran.

She dove into the undergrowth, fighting her way through to the wooded area. Looking behind her she couldn’t see either the dog or the stag. It was then she heard the stamping, and looking forwards she saw the stag running towards her, its head lowered. It hit her shoulders, pinning her against a tree. She felt the warmth of her own blood trickle down from the puncture wounds the stag had caused. It threw her.

She hit a tree and crumpled into a heap. She ran again, not caring where, as long as she was away from the creatures hounding her. She tripped and rolled down the hill, she landing on her face down on the smoothness of the concrete and tarmac. Looking to her left, she saw light, and the rubber and metal of a tyre as the truck wheels went over her head.

From the side of the road, the stag and dog looked at each other, a silent agreement passing between the two. She would be the first of many Death Eaters to do down.




Harry had enjoyed reading his dad’s journal. He had only reached Christmas of James’s first year at Hogwarts, but they had already challenged Snape, fallen in love, and gotten a prefect in to trouble. Harry couldn’t wait for James’s latter years to begin.

Harry had gone down to the kitchen at seven and was reading the diary propped up against the milk jug. He chuckled as he read one of his dad’s many attempts to woo Lily Evans.

12th December 1971
Lily, Lily, Lily. I have fallen in love. I‘m only eleven, but I have met the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. Sirius is telling me to get real, Remus tells me to find someone else, and Peter just shrugs. I‘m sending her roses for the days leading up Christmas, building up and up. I‘ll see how it goes.

21st December 1971
My head is smarting, but compared to by ego and feelings, it is nothing. Lily figured the roses were me. She got flowers, I got bloody thorns, by that I mean a big scene in the common room, I got a slap and she marched up the stairs. I won’t see her until after New Year. Maybe Dad will be able to help a little.


Harry couldn’t help but laugh at the nerve of his dad. As Harry snorted into his cereal, Remus and Tonks walked in.

“Hey, Harry, what’s up, another Dungbomb accident?” Remus asked, he ruffling Harry’s hair.

“No, something with flowers, Christmas, and pretty red head.” Harry hid the book behind his back. He wanted Remus to guess what he was on about.

“Already planning on how to woo Ginny at Christmas Harry?”

“No, this redhead was known as Lily Evans and someone by the name of James Potter sent roses to her over Christmas. Your first year.”

Harry watched as Remus face went from confused, to a grin, to laughing. “Bloody hell, I forgot about that. And your mum threatened to dunk him in to the lake.”

Harry brought the book round and scanned through it. “He doesn’t say about that.”

“Is that James’s Marauder diary? I totally forgot we had those. Were they in the booby-trapped box?”

“Yeah, I’m still going through Dad’s, then Sirius’s, then yours, and then I might go through the rats.” He grinned.

“Well, in first year, the others didn’t know about my ‘Furry little problem’, so they were just private journals. In fifth year we all figured the others were keeping them, so we just banded together to keep them.” Remus’ eyes grew misty-eyed as he remembered.

They spent the next hour discussing the Marauder days, when the flames of the fire turned suddenly to the emerald ones of a Floo activity. Ginny slid out. She got to her feet, brushed herself off and looked around. The sight of her caused Harry’s heart to flutter.

He smiled, and beckoned to her. “Call me when the meeting starts, Remus. And if Ron and Hermione arrive, please send them to my room. I have something I want to show them.”

He and Ginny walked up to Harry’s room. As soon as he shut the door they were in each other’s arms.

“So, Mr. Potter, what did you want to show me?” She flashed a flirtatious smile and kissed him on the cheek.

“It isn’t anything like that Miss. Weasley, so get your mind out of the gutter. Aren’t you hot, Ginny? I mean, wearing that in this weather.” Ginny was wearing a large, black cloak.

“Well, yes. I just didn’t want Mum, Dad, Remus, or even Tonks to see what I’m wearing.”

“And just what are you wearing?”

She took the cloak off and flung it to the bed. Harry felt his face going red and his eyes roamed her body. She wore a knee length skirt and a low cropped top, both of which clung to all her curves.

“Harry, you look like a fish. But I take it you approve?”

“Y…Yes. But Jesus, Gin, please don’t let Ron come in and find you dressed like that. Never mind Voldemort, Ron’ll kill me with his bare hands.” Harry quickly put a warning charm on his door and walked over to Ginny. “Now I can take advantage of this situation.”

He put his hands on Ginny’s waist and pulled her into a kiss. Her hands slowly made their way around the back of Harry’s neck and played with the hair at the nape. His made their way up the back of her shirt, feeling along the soft, velvety skin. And very slowly he ran his fingers gently up and down her spine.

They had just fallen back on to Harry’s bed when the room was filled with a soft buzzing.

“Damn. Ron and Hermione are here.” They stood up, smoothing their clothes. “Here, just so Ron doesn’t get you into trouble with your mum, and I don’t get into trouble with your brothers.” He flicked his wand towards her, and the top and skirt were replaced with a t-shirt and jeans.

Just as he put his wand into his back pocket, the door opened. Ron’s eyes flew to Harry, then back to Ginny. He looked as if he was trying to figure out what had happened before he had arrived. Convinced nothing dodgy was occurring between the two, he nodded and became less tense. Hermione smirked slightly.

“Harry, Remus said you and Ginny were up here, we, or rather, Ron thought we had to get up here quick for some reason.” Hermione smiled apologetically towards Harry and Ginny.

“You said you wanted to show us something, Harry.” Ginny looked up at him.

“Urm. Yeah. Here, look.” He walked to the cloth-covered bike and ripped the cover off. “It’s mine since Sirius left everything to me. What do you reckon?”

“Blimey, Harry. You never told us that Sirius had a bike.” Ron looked at the bike lustfully. “For a Muggle vehicle, it looks good.”

“I read the manual that was in Sirius’s trunk. It’s a Harley-Davidson Pan Head. And Sirius added some features that’ll take you and me back a bit, Ron. Do the words Ford Anglia mean anything to you?”

“It can’t, can it?” Ron looked like he had fallen in love with the bike.

“From the foot notes Sirius, my dad, and Remus made in the manual it can.” The two girls were looking at Harry and Ron in puzzlement.

Finally Hermione spoke up. “What are you two on about?” Ginny nodded, desperate to know as well.

“Do you two remember how we got to school in our second year?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, you drove Dad’s c…ar.” a look of enlightenment fell upon her face. “It doesn’t?” Harry nodded.

“What? I still don’t get it. You flew Mr. Weasley’s car…” she trailed off. “Oh,” was all she said.

“Hermione, you’re the brightest one here, so how come it took you longest to get it?” Ron looked at her.

“I have other things on my mind, Ron,” Hermione said quickly.

“Like-?”

“Enough, Ron,” Ginny said.

Harry noticed Hermione give Ginny a thankful look and turned. “We’d better get down to the meeting.” Hermione left the room with Ron trailing her.

Harry turned to Ginny, “What was that all about?” he asked.

“Hermione has a crush on Ron, Harry,” She said. “This may come as a- what are you laughing at?”

Harry was bent double laughing. “About time, she only just realised how she feels about him? I saw this coming since that row in fourth year over Krum.”

They left the room laughing about their love struck friend. Now, all it needed was for Ron to realise it, Harry thought bitterly.




Harry arrived in the kitchen just as the remaining Weasleys arrived. Professor McGonagall indicated he should sit down in the chair at the head of the table. A lot of familiar faces looked up at him: Flitwick (the charms professor), Hagrid, Moody, Kingsly Shacklebolt, Molly, Arthur, Bill, Charlie, Fred and George Weasley, Neville’s grandmother, Mundungus Fletcher (whom Harry didn’t like as he had been caught stealing old stuff of Sirius’s), along with Remus, Tonks, McGonagall, and a lot of other people Harry didn’t know.

McGonagall stood. “We are here to induct four new members into our midst, and assign our new leader. Will Harry James Potter, Hermione Jean Granger, Ronald Bilius Weasley and Neville Longbottom, please come up here?” Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Neville approached McGonagall. “You are now enrolled into the Order of the Phoenix--” There was a loud trill and Fawkes flew in and settled on Harry’s shoulder. “--The first and last line of defence against He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named,” she continued. “The conditions are you will not tell anybody of what you know, you will not betray anyone in this room, and as long as there is a breath in your body, you will fight against You-Know-Who and his followers. You will sign your name on this contract with your wands and state what your wand is made of. This will be done in anti alphabetical order. Weasley, you first.”

Ron stepped forward, and spoke while signing his name. “Fourteen inches, willow, unicorn hair.”

“Potter, you next.”

Harry signed his name and spoke, “Eleven inches, holly, phoenix tail feather.” Harry stepped back.

“Longbottom.”

Neville stood up and spoke like the others while signing. “Twelve inches, cherry, unicorn hair.”

“And finally, Miss Granger.”

Hermione scribbled her name and spoke clearly. “Nine inches, vine wood, dragon heartstring.”

“Very good. Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and Neville Longbottom, you are now members of the Order of the Phoenix.” She allowed herself a rare smile. “I know you’ll do us all proud.”

She turned to the other members, “Now on with business. Professor Dumbledore has expressed the instructions of the Order as of follows; in event of his death, he has insisted to place Mr. Harry James Potter as leader of the Order. Unless Mr. Potter can think of a reason not to be put in leadership.” She turned to Harry, “Bear in mind, Harry, that it can be a big responsibility.”

Harry took a deep breath. “That’s just it, Professor, I can’t I have too much responsibility laden on me as it is. A class and club to instruct, and now the leadership of the Order. I’m only seventeen and I can’t hold such responsibility. Maybe when I’m older and wiser. I would still like to know what is going on, and I might have things to say about some choices. Professor Dumbledore left me something to do, and it is imperative that I do it. I might need help, and I might ask assistance from the Order. But apart from that, could you possibly take the position Professor McGonagall?”

“Harry, are you quite sure about this?” McGonagall asked him, her eyes boring in to his.

“Yes, Professor. But as I said, as long as you keep me up to date on what is going on in the Order.”

“I will be happy to do that.” She turned to the assembled crowd. “And I believe that is all we had to discuss today. I will alert you to the date of any future meetings ASAP.”




It was nearing one when Dudley and Aunt Petunia came downstairs. Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione were talking loudly about Harry’s new teaching position.

“I still can’t believe it. Me, a teacher.” Harry still wasn’t sure weather he’d make a good teacher or not.

“Harry, you’ll make a brilliant teacher! If it weren’t for you, Ron, Neville, Ginny, Luna, and I wouldn’t have lived this long,” Hermione was arguing. “You’ve duelled Voldemort himself and lived. How hard can a class be?”

It was then the Dursleys entered. Dudley walked in confidently, while Aunt Petunia peered warily around the door and entered slowly.

“Hi, Duds, Aunt Petunia. Do you know anything about Uncle Vernon?” Harry tried to look concerned.

“Not yet,” said Aunt Petunia mournfully. “Oh, and Harry, I understand it was your birthday yesterday. I have a present for you, whenever you’re ready for it.”

Ginny looked shocked. “YOU DIDN‘T EVEN KNOW WHEN HIS BIRTHDAY WAS? WHAT KIND OF FAMILY ARE YOU?” Harry was pleased to see his aunt cower under the rage of his girlfriend. “FROM WHAT HE’S TOLD ME, YOU DIDN’T EVEN THROW HIM A PARTY OR CELEBRATE HIS BIRTHDAY AT ALL! YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND ARE MONSTERS TREATING A SMALL ORPHAN THE WAY YOU DID! AND IF YOU THINK MY YELLING’S BAD, JUST WAIT TILL MY MUM GETS HERE!”

Aunt Petunia seemed to be sizing up Ginny. “And just who do you think you are?”

“I AM HARRY’S GIRLFRIEND! AND YOU ARE SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T EVEN DESERVE TO KNOW HIM!” Harry was trying hard not to laugh when he got between the two.

“Okay, Ginny, chill, she’s trying to be nice to me for a change. Aunt Petunia, if you yell at my girlfriend one more time, I will have to jinx you. Now play nice and say sorry, or I’ll have to jinx both of you.”

They both looked down at the floor. “Sorry, Harry,” Ginny muttered looking at her feet; Harry could tell she was humouring him.

“Sorry, Harry.” Aunt Petunia’s was more of a whisper, but it was an apology.

“Now, Aunt Petunia. Where is the present? I’ll see it, and then Mad-Eye and i will take you to see Vernon.”

Aunt Petunia nodded. “Here, follow me, I redid your garden it now looks semi-respectable. I had a little help from her with the pink hair and her husband.”

She led them out into the back garden. It was very long and wide. Around the edges there were thick bushes, at the end there were three small wooden buildings, and in front of them there was a small Quidditch pitch, carpeted in ash felt. Then there was a large pool, and the rest was lawn and patio with lawn chairs and tables littered about.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny looked around in amazement.

“Uh…Ron, reckon we should call your brothers and test out that pitch?” Harry could see Ron had his mouth open.

A strangled moan came out of Ron’s mouth. “Crap, Harry. This is brilliant. I wish this was my house.”

That gave Harry an idea. “Well, I was going to invite your family to live here, until the end of the war, anyway. Too many people know the location of the Burrow. And you’re all targets. A.) you’re my family,” both Ginny and Ron blushed at this, “and B.) Your family are one of the biggest bunch of blood traitors there has ever been. Do you reckon they’ll agree?” Harry was hoping beyond hope that Ron would say his parents would agree. He wanted his family in one place, Ginny especially.

“Well, the thing that might do it is the protection, but if you do the whole ‘you want your family in one place’ thing, she buckle at once.” Ron was smiling as if Christmas had come early.

“Harry, did you say you’d take us to see Vernon now?” Aunt Petunia spoke from behind the four teens.

“Yeah, I’ll go get Mad-Eye.”




Harry, Mad-Eye, and the Dursleys approached the receptionist at St. Mungo’s. They could only see the top of her head. She was reading Witch Weekly. Harry could see that the page she was reading had a large picture of himself on it.

Potter of Age

He rolled his eyes and approached the desk. He felt awkward talking to the top of the girl’s head. “Urm…Hi. Here to see Vernon Dursley.”

“Name?” she asked, not looking up at him and sounding bored. Harry felt like he knew the voice.

“Harry Potter. Now could I please see my uncle?”

The witch looked up sharply. Harry now knew why he knew her.

“Cho? How long have you been working here?” he looked at his ex-girlfriend in astonishment.

“Harry! I’ve been here for about a week now. How are you?” She looked nervous.

“Not bad. You?”

“It gets boring here. Not much to do but read.” She tried hiding the article she had been reading under some paperwork on the desk.

“Potter of age, huh? Wonder how long it took them to come up with that?” He grinned.

“Y…Yeah. You want fourth floor, spell damage.”

They left her. Harry shook his head. Why had his ex-girlfriend seemed so nervous around him? He bent and spoke to Mad-Eye. “Hey, Alastor. When we get time, we need to pick up a copy of Witch Weekly. I want to see what got her so worked up.”

Mad-Eye nodded. “Yeah, can’t be that bad, can it?”

“Depends if it was written by Rita Skeeter. If it is, then it will be bad.”

Moody chuckled. “Fair point. Once called me a blind, paranoid cripple, if you can imagine that.”

“When was that?”

“About a week ago.”

They laughed. “How do the press know I’m of age?”

“Ministry. We can just thank Merlin the Ministry don’t know about the prophecy, otherwise the press will be all over it, like leprechauns to gold.”

They eventually found themselves on the fourth floor. There was another receptionist. Harry was sure last time he was here there had only been on reception point and no security. Pointing this out to Mad-Eye he got growled at. “Ministry thinks now we are at full war we need security everywhere.”

Harry walked up to the witch, who was about three years older than him, he was glad to see there wasn’t a Witch Weekly in sight.

“Harry Potter to see Vernon Dursley,” Harry said.

“Harry Potter? For real? I… I mean my sister loves you. Can I get an autograph?” The witch grinned hopefully.

“If it’ll get us in to see my Uncle quicker, sure.”

She opened a drawer and pulled out a copy of Witch Weekly. The large photo of him on the cover smiled reluctantly out. He picked up a pen and scribbled his name over the cover.

“There, can we go in now, please?”

“Sure. Follow me.”

They followed the witch down a long corridor; Harry glimpsed Alice Longbottom shuffling around the closed ward. They came to door which read: Private.

“He woke up yesterday. He’s been through a lot, and he’s a bit confused. He won’t be permanently damaged, but he is quite weak and unable to get out of bed,” she said as she opened the door. “He’s asleep at the moment, but if he should wake up, don’t get him too excited. He doesn’t really like magic, does he?”

“Not a lot,” Harry replied.

They shuffled in. Uncle Vernon was pale and waxy. It looked strange, as Harry was used to him being red and purple. His eyes were closed. The magical monitors next to him were recording his vitals and brain activity. Dudley and Aunt Petunia sat next to his bed Dudley was trying to keep his tough front on and Aunt Petunia was sobbing into a handkerchief, while Mad-Eye and Harry held a whispered conversation.

“Alastor, I really feel like I should interrogate Snape. If I’m there, I can make him loose his composure and he might let something slip,” Harry said to Moody.

“I think you’re right kid. And if all else fails, we could force feed him Veritaserum. What I want to know from you, Harry, and I’m being deadly serious, is how you beat him. He is a very powerful wizard and an expert in duels.”

“There’s an old magic. Blood magic. Using the blood magic, you can bind your wand to you. It makes it more powerful and gives you more control. I did it after Dumbledore died. The curses I used on Snape had my whole power put behind them. If you do that hardly, any shield known will be able to block it. That’s why I was so breathless afterwards.”

“I think it would be better if we kept this to ourselves. You might want to advise Hermione, Ron, and Ginny to do the same, though, it would help protect them.” Moody had a thoughtful look on his face

Harry nodded, “Yeah, I was going to. I was also going to show a few of the key members of the Order. McGonagall, you, Remus, and whoever you see fit.”

“Yeah, I can see why Dumbledore wanted you to take leadership of the Order, you have some good ideas.” Moody smiled.

The two Dursleys stood. “We could do with a drink, or something,” Aunt Petunia told Moody, he face looked as though it were on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

“Right. Harry are you okay to stay here, while I take these two up to the restaurant area?” Harry nodded.

Moody took Harry’s cousin and aunt out of the room. Harry walked up and looked into his uncle’s large face. He had liked Vernon least of all out of the Dursleys, unless he counted Vernon’s sister, Marge. Looking down at the sleeping man, it seemed foolish to Harry that this was the man he had feared for most of his life.

At that moment Uncle Vernon moaned, he then opened his eyes. The first thing he saw was Harry. They bulged alarmingly.

“YOU!” He tried to push himself up, but lost the strength and fell backwards.

“Hello Uncle. And no need to thank me for saving your life and sanity.”

“You ungrateful little-” But Harry had had enough.

“No, you’re the ungrateful one, VERNON. Two years ago I saved your son’s life, and yesterday I saved your entire family‘s life.” Harry stared with complete hatred at his uncle. “After all the crap you people have put me through, I should have let the greasy haired git kill you, and then I could have saved my own life.”

His uncle’s face was slowly gaining more and more colour, but Harry really didn’t care. “You made me sleep in a cupboard, for Merlin’s sake, Vernon. You let your bitch of a sister torture me every time she came round. You made me do everything you didn’t want to do. Your son only got off his fat arse to tease me and best the crap out of me. Well guess what? The Death Eaters know about your family, and now they aren’t going to leave you alone. You are now living in MY house. And you are going to follow my rules. If you don’t, you can go back to Privet Drive and die for all I care.” Harry’s temper was slowly draining. He had wanted to say this stuff to his uncle for years.

A loud sniff came from the door. Harry and Vernon turned to see Aunt Petunia with Dudley behind her. She was looking at Harry with, Harry gasped, could that be pity?

“Is that really how you feel, Harry?” she asked her voice was quivering.

Looking at her face Harry could tell she was truly sorry, he didn’t care. He was sorry, sorry his mother had had a sister. “Yes. Now say goodbye to your pig of a husband, we’re leaving. I have business to attend to.” He turned on his heel and left.




Dudley and Aunt Petunia had gone upstairs the minute they returned from St. Mungo’s and hadn’t come down. Harry was fuming. He was out in the garden, swinging a Beaters bat, while two Bludgers rocketed around.

He had tears in his eyes. He had gotten off all the pressure that had built up over the years at Privet Drive. But now the look on his Aunt’s face kept coming back to haunt him, he could not help but feel guilty, but then he reminded himself of what she and her family had put him through since arriving on their doorstep.

A Bludger came flying towards him, and he swung and hit it head on. It flew towards the house and embedded itself in the wall. As it freed itself, the dent in the wall closed up.

Moody had warned Ron, Hermione, and Ginny about Harry’s mood. They knew from experience to let him blow off steam before approaching him. Floating off into his thoughts, he suddenly got hit in the chest, throwing him backwards and into one of the tables his Aunt had set up.

He had completely forgotten about the Bludger. It turned and to attack him again, but he turned and hit it skyward. As it flew back down, he lunged at it and, while restraining it, strapped it back into the box.

Feeling better, Harry went into the house to help Ron, Ginny, and Hermione get settled in to their respective rooms.

A/N: Next Chapter: warning: overly emotional. Child abuse.

Chapter Four: red and George looked as though they had been slapped. “Blimey even we didn’t take our first shot that well.”

“Well Harry’s first shot was when he was two months old. Sirius and James thought it would be funny, baby Harry loved the stuff. Lily wasn’t too happy though.” Said Remus.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=70779