Albus Potter and the Ring of Four by hazeltwilight
Summary: Albus Potter is starting his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And though he is nervous at first, everything starts to fall into place. However when mysterious and worrisome events start becoming more and more frequent, Albus finds himself in an adventure of a life time.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1464 Read: 1956 Published: 11/21/07 Updated: 11/21/07

1. Chapter 1 - Across the Water by hazeltwilight

Chapter 1 - Across the Water by hazeltwilight
Author's Notes:
This is my first fanfic (ever!) so please any thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated

Chapter 1: Across the Water

A young boy with dark hair and green eyes named Albus Potter stepped in to a small wooden boat. All around him other children were doing the same fumbling around in the inky darkness, a large man directing them to sit four to a boat. And as they sat, each one held the same nervous excitement that now flickered across Al’s face.

This scene might seem strange to many, those who do not like things out of the ordinary, who live life in a world where nothing changes and all stays in the comfort of the tested method. However those people would be surprised to learn that this sight was not in fact unusual at all and had been occurring for centuries. What would have frightened those people into action was the children themselves. Each and every nervous smiling face belonged to a young witch or wizard, all of whom were on their way to the most magical school in all of Britain, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The children, however, were blissfully unaware of the nature of these people and some had begun to make excited conversation, in and across different boats. Albus, though, did not join in on the conversation, but stared pointedly ahead as the boats began their way across the water, his head too full of thought to pay much real attention to what he was looking at. He didn’t feel so brave as he had on the platform, waving an excited goodbye to his father. And that nagging thought had begun to rise again in the back of his mind again. His father’s reassuring words suddenly seemed very far away.

“How yeh doin’ there Al?” A deep rumble came from a boat on Al left side. Al jumped slightly startled and turned to look at the man who spoke. His vision came in contact with a man who looked far too big to stay afloat in the water. A mane of thick dark hair surrounded the man’s giant face and inset were two small twinkling eyes that currently were looking down at Al.

Al blinked in surprise as he recognized him as the man who had led them to the boats, his call for first years summoning them to the lake’s shore. Al felt suddenly stupid as he realized knew this large man, though it had been a few years since he’d seen him. “Hagrid?”

“Well o’ course!” The large man smiled down at him, “How’s yer dad? Good I hope. When I saw yeh I knew yeh had to be little Albus. What lookin’ so much like Harry, and all.” Al continued to look at him, it had been a few years since he had seen Hagrid, and he had forgotten how big he was, in truth he suddenly seemed slightly frightening. “Expect I’ll be seein’ yeh down at the hut soon?”

Al stared up at him beginning to feel overwhelmed. Hagrid, he knew, was the Keeper of the Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts and the professor of Care of Magical Creatures. When Al had been little, Hagrid came by and visited a lot, but as he had gotten older, Hagrid had been able to come less, and it had been at least two years since the last time Al had seen him.

“Did yer dad not ask yeh?” The man looked slightly amazed and somewhat hurt. “Well I guess not.” He paused for a second as though thinking about something hard, “Surely yer dad said something?” He seemed a little desperate.

Al blinked again and swallowed as his voice finally caught up to the conversation. “Er, yeah. Dad mentioned something like that. I’m meant to have tea with you on Friday.”

Hagrid beamed down at him, turned with a laugh, and said almost to himself, “knew Harry wouldn’t go and forget abou’ me.” Hagrid laughed again and looked down at Al. “Friday?”

“Yeah,” Al nodded smiling, “see you then, Hagrid.” After a quick nod and eye crinkling smile Hagrid turned his attention to talking with some of the other first years.

Al however took this opportunity, as his conversation with Hagrid had pushed his worries temporarily from his mind, to look around at the other children. Some were talking excitedly; one boy spoke very animatedly a few boats behind him. Others looked quiet and pale like the small girl sitting next to him on the boat.

He felt a tap on his shoulder, Al turned to see a short boy with straw-colored hair behind him. “Do you know him?” The boy shot a quick frightening glance at Hagrid.

“He’s friend’s with my dad is all,” Al answered.

“Oh. Well I’m Gabriel Johnson.” He held out his hand quite importantly. Al blinked down at it before remembering he was supposed to shake it. Gabriel didn’t seem to notice this odd pause though. “This,” He motioned to the boy on the boat next to him, “is Emerson Woods.” The dark-haired boy smiled excitedly at him. And then Gabriel pointed to the girl sitting to the right of Al. “And this is Jennifer Prewett.” A bespectacled girl turned and gave Al a weak smile, looking rather like she might bust into tears at any moment.

“Oh,” Al replied lamely. He wasn’t sure how he was suppose to respond or really how this boy knew so much about the other two. Abruptly he remembered that he should probably introduce himself too. “I’m Albus, Al for short.”

The boy called Emerson shot a questioning look at him, “Wasn’t that the name of the last headmaster?”

“Yeah. My parents named me after him.” Albus smiled, but hoped the boy wouldn’t ask anymore. He really didn’t feel like talking about it. Emerson raised his eyebrows slightly but said nothing.

“So your parents are both wizards?” Gabriel asked, not noticing the other boy’s response.

“Yeah,” Al nodded, looking back to Gabriel, “what about you?”

“Half wizard myself,” Gabriel announced proudly, smiling, “Best of both worlds I think. Jennifer here is-” He began before he was interrupted by a soft whimper coming from Jennifer.

Confused, Al turned back around to face Jennifer her face was twisted with an unspoken cry. “Is everything alright?” Al managed, however despite his question Al truly had no idea what to do. He never had to deal with a crying girl he wasn’t related to.

“Oh, it’s stupid, but it’s just “ it’s just I shall never learn it all!” She managed between sniffles, “I don’t know anything about the magical world “ my parents weren’t wizards!” she finished off in more of a cry then in words.

Albus threw a desperate look back at the other two boys; hoping one of them would know what to say to a crying girl. Emerson shrugged, a bemused look on his face, though he did look concerned. Gabriel however leaned forward, “Jennifer is worried about being Muggleborn,” he explained knowingly, “She been about ready to burst all day. I’m surprised she didn’t do it sooner. See we all met on the train and-”

Gabriel stopped suddenly, his gaze rising up. He wasn’t the only one; conversation died abruptly in the other boats as well, as all eyes rose upward. Jennifer’s cries became soft hiccups. Al, curious, and his heart beating strangely fast, turned forward and felt his jaw slacken slightly. He was staring up at the most extraordinary building he could have ever imagined.

There, sitting on top of a high cliff, was a magnificent castle, with towers that pierced the sky. Lights flickered out of its many windows giving the impression that it was built with little stars inset in its walls. It dominated the skyline even more impressively than the mountains surrounding it. It was easily the most amazing and wonderful thing Al had ever seen.

And he could hardly believe he was going to be living there.

After a few moments he became aware of Hagrid’s voice as he said, “Welcome to Hogwarts.” Al turned a dazed look over to Hagrid, his gaze lingering there for a moment. Then slowly as his heart began to flutter excitedly in his chest Al looked back at the others. He felt a smile burn onto his face as they made eye contact. Gabriel was positively beaming, Emerson was grinning furiously and even Jennifer managed a flustered smile that looked as though it might become a desperate laugh with her next breath.

Wow, Al thought as he turned his gaze back up to the castle, knowing his face showed every inch of the amazement he felt. Welcome to Hogwarts.
End Notes:
Sorry for the long wait for chapter two, but it is now the cue - all nice up and editified - so the wait should soon be over!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75213