Changing the Future by PEMDAS
Summary: This is the sequel to “Changing the Past”, so I advise that you read that first.

Harry tries so hard to do the right thing, but only ends up making things worse. His addiction to changing the past has only changed the future...for the worst. He has seen the error of his ways, and must find a way to set things right. There are no more second chances.

Harry is determined not to be dependent on his friends any longer. Leaving Ron and Hermione in the future, he travels back to try to fix everything he’s done. Join him as he attempts to do the impossible: change the future.

Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3976 Read: 5584 Published: 11/25/07 Updated: 05/23/08

1. Hit List by PEMDAS

2. Blast to the Past by PEMDAS

Hit List by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Thanks for being patient, everyone...now, please read and review chapter one!!!
For months, Harry Potter had spent his life in 1976/1977. He had fallen in love with a family member, killed and imprisoned a dozen enemies, and created lifetime rivalries and enmity. Now, just in the past two hours, he had realized the enormity of what he had done.

A Ministry fallen...a relationship shattered...a history rewritten....Harry has changed history to the point that it cannot be fixed. The only way out now was to change the past “ again “ for the better. But at the present moment, Harry had something else on his mind: his now-vacant forehead.

Harry touched his forehead gingerly at the spot where his scar had once been, incredulous. “How...when...?” He was at a loss for words.

“We think,” Hermione said slowly, “that when you changed something back in the past...something that made Voldemort go after you...it disappeared, because Voldemort never went after you or Neville.”

“I think it happened right after you got Peter,” Ron put in. “Yeah, that’s about right...because if he wasn’t around, he couldn’t betray your parents, so you never got the scar.”

“That, plus Lily didn’t die for him,” Hermione said. “If Harry was hit with the Avada Kedavra curse now, he wouldn’t survive, like before.”

“Gee, thanks, Hermione,” Harry said sarcastically. He Vanished the mirror with his wand, then took a deep breath, running his hand through his hair. “What do I do?” he said weakly.

“Simple, mate,” Ron said. “Just go back to where we first appeared at Hogwarts, alter some memories, and everything will be back to normal!”

Harry thought about this for a moment. “No,” he said finally.

“No, what?” Hermione asked, confused. “Harry, that’s the easiest way to...”

“Exactly,” Harry said, nodding. “I’ve taken the shortcut path for long enough now...like you said, I need to live up to my mistakes. I’ll go back to where you came and got me, re-modify James’ and Lily’s memories so they remember it was me that night at the Hog’s Head, and live with the consequences. And hopefully I’ll be able to save myself “ and the rest of the wizarding world “ in the process.”

“Now you’re talking, mate!” Ron said, pumping a fist into the air jubilantly. “That’s the old Harry I like to hear!” Meanwhile, Hermione had tears slowly forming in her eyes as she examined Harry’s set face.

“Harry Potter,” she said, “you’ve grown up.”

“Erm...thanks, Hermione,” Harry said, blushing. Of course, it should’ve been a bit ironic, being told that for the first time at this point in his life, but he was pleased with himself nevertheless.

Hermione snapped out of her little reverie and began pacing. “We need a place to work quietly for a bit,” she said. “Ron, would your mom let us work at your house again?”

“Sure,” Ron said. “But I’d have to do some explaining about Harry. You know...”

Of course, Harry didn’t know what he was talking about, but Hermione seemed to understand. “Good. We’ll go there, then. We’ve got work to do.”

“Wait a minute!” Harry protested. “Explain what about me?” But before he could say more, Hermione had grabbed his arm and Apparated both of them away.

***

They reappeared just outside of the fence bordering the garden of the Burrow. Hermione and Ron led the way up the path to the front door, and Ron rang the doorbell.

“Mum, it’s me!” Ron shouted in through an open window. “I’m back from the Ministry!”

“Ministry?” Harry asked quizzically as Ron pulled back from the window. “Why were you there?”

“I wasn’t,” Ron said, grinning. “It was my excuse for leaving the house for a few hours. I told her I was going to fill out some paperwork for pre-Auror training, which doesn’t exist, by the way, for people still in Hogwarts...you have to graduate first. She was so proud, she just let me go alone.”

“Brilliant!” Harry said, returning the grin. Just then, Mrs. Weasley came to the door, beaming.

“Ronald, you’re back!” she said. “How was it at the Ministry?”

“Fine,” Ron said, grudgingly allowing her to kiss him on the cheek.

“Oh, Hermione, you’re here, as well!” she exclaimed, hugging Hermione jubilantly. “I haven’t seen you since Ron invited you over for dinner three years ago...such a lovely girlfriend you have, Ron!”

“Mum!” Ron said exasperatedly. Both he and Hermione blushed furiously, of course not remembering this dinner three years ago. Harry was starting to get confused. Hermione was here three days ago for my birthday! he thought to himself. What does she mean, ‘three years ago’? Just then, he realized Mrs. Weasley was looking at him over Hermione’s shoulder.

“Hello, Mrs. Weasley,” he said, smiling at her. Mrs. Weasley does not smile back.

“Sorry, have we met?” she asked, examining him head to toe. “Ron doesn’t bring many friends home, and I don’t remember seeing you before...”

“He’s a new friend I made at school last year, Mum,” Ron cut in quickly. “His name’s Harry Potter.”

“Why, hello then, Harry!” Mrs. Weasley said, extending her head to him, which Harry took, still royally confused. “Make yourself right at home, then...will you be spending the night?”

“Probably,” Harry said slowly, looking to Ron for help, who just nodded for him to continue. “I, erm...I’ll be leaving in the morning, maybe before you see me again,” he added.

“Very well, then,” Mrs. Weasley said, nodding and smiling at Harry. “Well...come on in then, you lot.” She shooed them into the house, closing the door behind them.

As they walked up the stairs to Ron’s room, Harry rounded on his friends once more. “What the bloody hell was that all about?” he asked furiously. “Why doesn’t she remember me?”

“Harry, you don’t exist in this time...remember?” Hermione explained calmly. “You disappeared nearly eighteen years ago! We never met you!”

“We needed you to see what you’d done firsthand,” Ron put in quietly. “Not just by telling you...so you actually experience this new world you’ve made by meddling with time.”

“Thanks for the lecture, guys,” Harry said sarcastically. “Like I really needed it. Maybe, for all you care, I should just go back to living in the past and disappear again?”

“Harry, we’re trying to take this calmly, all right?” Hermione said, still calm. “Please don’t jump all over us. We all want what’s best for you.”

Harry nodded, taking a deep, cleansing breath. “I’m sorry, guys,” he said quietly. “You know I don’t like this at all.”

“We get it, mate,” Ron said, patting his friend on the shoulder. “We’d be pretty freaked out, too, if something like this happened to one of us.”

“Okay, okay,” Harry said, exasperated. “So, what exactly are we doing here?”

“Like I said, we need a place to work quietly,” Hermione explained vaguely. When they entered Ron’s room, she locked and Silenced the door behind her, plopping into a chair at Ron’s desk and Summoning parchment and a quill. She scribbled something on the parchment and showed it to Harry. It read, To-Do List.

“I’m going to enchant this parchment so only the title appears as it is when anyone reads it,” Hermione said, waving her wand. A golden glow flashed upon the parchment as she did so. “That way, when we write down the other things you need to do, and if someone else finds this list, they’ll just see a list of something stupid, like...chores you need to do that day or something.”

“Brilliant!” Harry said for the second time that day. “Well...what are we putting on the list?”

“Oh, probably dusting the mantle, finishing homework-”

“No, not the fake one, the real one!” Harry exclaimed. “What do I need to change?”

“You tell us, mate,” Ron said. “You’re the one that wants to fix everything. What do you need to change?” Hermione sat there watching Harry intently, quill at the ready to write down what Harry needed to do.

“Okay,” Harry said, racking his brain. “First, I need to re-modify James, Sirius, and Lily’s memories, so they remember it was me that slept with her again.” Hermione nodded and scribbled it down. “Next, I need to figure out a way to get James and Lily back together.”

“How?” Ron asked, cocking his eyebrows.

“Beats me,” Harry said, shrugging. “Obviously, I need to figure out how to get Lily to like James, because the other way around shouldn’t take much effort. Then, I need to finish off Voldemort once and for all.”

“Why?!” Hermione and Ron exclaimed together, alarmed.

“Harry, why risk your life for that in the past, when you’re already doing that now?” Ron asked, confused. “You’re already asking for a lot!”

Harry shrugged. “I figure, a final showdown will happen sooner or later, and I might as well do it when Voldemort has less Horcruxes. What, did you say he only had two Horcruxes back in 1977? No, let me finish!” Hermione had opened her mouth to speak, and he quieted her. “It’s better there, because no one knows I’m “the Chosen One” or whatever. I can figure it out with Dumbledore...we’ll get Voldemort to try to settle things once and for all by taking over the school or trying to get the Stone again or something, but I have to kill him sooner or later.”

The impact of those words brought silence upon the whole room, but fortunately, the ice was broken when Mrs. Weasley brought finger sandwiches in for them to eat. As they ate them, they sat deep in thought, as Hermione went over the list again. “So, you’re going to re-modify those memories, get James and Lily together, destroy Voldemort’s Horcruxes, and lure him into a final confrontation,” she read.

“Gee, that should be easy,” Ron commented sarcastically, spewing chunks of bread everywhere.

“Yeah, really,” Harry agreed, yawning. He had become very tired; again, possibly because of the time travel. “I think I’m going to go to bed,” he told both of them. “Then, when I wake up, I’m going back to the past. Alone.”

As expected, both Ron and Hermione protested. “We’re coming, too!” Ron said instantly. “You can’t do this to us!”

“We want to help!” Hermione said, nodded in agreement with Ron.

Harry sighed. “Fine,” he said finally. “You can come. I’ll wake you up when I’m ready to leave.” This made Ron and Hermione happy, and in a few minutes, all of them were in bed, ready for a good night’s sleep to go back to 1977 the next morning. Or so Ron and Hermione thought.

Harry waited for a full hour until he was sure both of them were in a deep sleep, and he got up. He wrote them a note at the desk, leaving it there for them to find later. It read:

Dear Ron and Hermione,

I’m sorry I left like this. As you said, I need to live up to my own mistakes, and I don’t want to drag you into it. I am taking my whole album with me, so you can’t follow me. I know you want to help, but I can’t let you risk your lives over me again. This is my battle to fight.

I still need your help, though. I will check back in with you soon. I don’t know when I’ll be back, or if I’ll survive, but if I don’t you will know. I need you to keep updated with all the changes that happen in this time as they go, so I can figure out what I’m doing right and wrong.

I hope you understand.

Love, Harry


Harry examined the note, and satisfied, stood up from the desk. He took his album from under the bed Hermione was sleeping on and held it in front of him, taking a deep breath. “If I could go back to the point where Ron and Hermione took me away from the past, it would be perfect,” he whispered, and with not a single noise to alert Ron and Hermione, he was gone.


Author’s Note: Welcome to chapter one of “Changing the Future”! If you’re reading this, it means I managed to get the chapter accepted to the site at long last. Now, by all means, Review! Review! Review! What are your thoughts thus far? I hope to see you all at Chapter 2!
Blast to the Past by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
I had to resubmit this chapter, unfortunately...but I hope it will go up this time, due to a misunderstanding...sorry for the even LONGER wait!

Harry was thrown to the cold ground after what seemed like minutes in the massive earthquake, but it most likely didn’t last a second. He took a few seconds to compose himself, then stood up shakily. He was back outside of the Hospital Wing, right where he had left the day before. Or, rather, a few seconds ago. His head was still spinning with the time change.

But he hardly had time to gather his thoughts when Lily walked out of the Hospital Wing, dabbing her eyes. She looked up and saw him, her green eyes filled with tears. “Oh…hello, Harry,” she said, sniffing. “Erm…I don’t know if you’re heard…”

“I know,” Harry said, nodding his head sadly. “You’re pregnant.”

Lily then began to break down sobbing. “It was an accident!” she sobbed. She ran forward and threw herself on Harry, who was taken aback. “I had too much to drink…and James…oh, what do I do?”

“It’s okay,” Harry replied soothingly. Awkwardly, he began to stroke her head, not sure what to do. Gradually, Lily’s sobs diminished into crying, and finally, heavy breathing and minor shaking.

“I’m glad you’re here, Harry,” she said, laying her head on his shoulder. “You’re the only real friend I have.”

Immediately, Harry felt a pang of guilt at her statement. He gently detached himself from her and held her by the shoulders, looking deep into her eyes. This wasn’t going to be easy. “Lily, I need to tell you something,” he said very seriously. “It wasn’t James who got you pregnant. It was me.”

Lily’s reaction wasn’t quite what he’d anticipated…she studied his face for a moment, then chuckled.

“Very funny, Harry,” she said. “What are you on about?”

“I’m serious!” Harry exclaimed. He drew his wand, and her grin slowly faded. He pointed it at her and murmured, “Obliviate.” Lily’s eyes briefly went out of focus, and then she shook her head and looked up at Harry once more, terrified.

“I “ I remember now,” she stammered, in shock. She backed away from him slowly. “We were at the Hog’s Head…we both drank too much…and I brought you into a room and we….” She slapped herself in the forehead. “It was no accident! It was all my fault!”

“No!” Harry said quickly, eager to avoid more waterworks. “It wasn’t your fault. Firewhiskey can do terrible things to a person’s mind. You didn’t know what you were doing.”

Lily nodded slowly. “But it still shouldn’t have happened,” she said. “I shouldn’t have drunk any of the Firewhiskey. I feel so…stupid.”

Harry slowly approached her. He was in a mini-dilemma…he didn’t want her to get too attached to him, but he didn’t want to completely shut her out of his life at this difficult time in her life. So he compensated: he awkwardly put a hand on her shoulder and spoke to her like a friend.

“You are a very smart witch,” he assured her. “We will get through this; I promise.”

Lily nodded again. After a few seconds, she looked up at him. “What are we going to do with it?”

“With what?” Harry realized the stupidity of the question as soon as he said it. “Oh…right…”

“We can always drop out of school if we need to,” Lily said softly. “My mum knows people; she can get you a job at the Ministry…”

“No, absolutely not,” Harry said quickly. “That’s not an option. You and I both need to finish our education, and that’s final.”

“But then what can we do?” Lily asked in desperation. “I can’t keep the baby here, and I certainly don’t want to leave it with my parents!”

“We can’t keep it, Lily,” Harry said firmly, and she immediately shook her head.

“We have to!” she insisted. “It’s our flesh and blood…we can’t just give it up!”

“We can’t keep it,” Harry repeated. “I’m in no financial position to assist you and a baby. It won’t work, and I think you know that. We’re not ready to be parents.”

Lily took a deep breath. “I know,” she said finally. “But I don’t want to think about it right now. I should…tell my parents first and see how they react.”

“Right,” Harry said. Then, with a sudden realization: “I should go make sure James doesn’t write his parents and make them think he got you pregnant.”

“That would be good,” Lily agreed. So, with a brief and awkward hug, they parted ways, Lily headed for the Owlery, and Harry for the common room.

***

He didn’t see James in the common room anywhere, so he headed up to the dormitory, where he found James, Sirius and Remus sitting on their beds, talking in an undertone. When Harry walked in, they all looked up at him.

“Hey, Harry,” James said tiredly. His eyes were bloodshot, and he had bags under his eyes.

“James,” Harry said firmly, without wasting any time, “there’s something I need to tell you.”

“What’s that?”

Harry drew his wand and pointed it at the three boys. “Obliviate.” All three boys spaced out for five seconds, and then snapped to at the same time. James stood up suddenly.

“It was you that got Lily pregnant?” James asked, incredulous.

“Yes, I know,” Harry replied tiredly. “I just think that…”

Unexpectedly, James threw himself at Harry, a bloody war cry uttering from his mouth. Harry, who hadn’t stowed his wand away yet, was able to cast a Shield Charm around himself at the last second, which deflected James and threw him back against the wall. Undeterred, James drew his wand, looking ready to fight to the death, but before either boy could make a move, Sirius and Remus jumped on top of James, tackling him to the ground and kicking his wand away from him. James proceeded to scream at Harry.

“GIT!” he screamed. “YOU GIT! YOU GOT LILY PREGNANT, YOU…”

“You should be thanking me, James!” Harry said hotly. “I saved your butt from a lot of public humiliation and brought it upon myself!”

“THANK YOU?!” James screamed. “HOW CAN I THANK YOU WHEN YOU STOLE MY GIRLFRIEND AND GOT HER PREGNANT?”

At that moment, Professor McGonagall burst in the room, looking livid. “What in Merlin’s name is going on in here?” she exclaimed. “I was trying to give the Gryffindors an announcement, and…Mr. Black, Mr. Lupin, why are you on top of Mr. Potter?”

“He tried to attack Harry, Professor,” Remus replied. James ripped himself away from the boys and stood up. He glared at Harry then stormed out of the room.

“What was that all about, Potter?” McGonagall asked Harry, putting her hands on her hips.

“Erm…he was just mad at me, I guess,” Harry said, shrugging. “It’s happened before.”

McGonagall studied him for a long moment, then sniffed. “Take care in how you interact with James, Harry,” she warned. “I don’t want anyone else at this school to get injured or killed. We may be near a serious issue with the Ministry.” With that, she turned on the spot and walked out of the room.

Harry looked to Sirius and Remus. Sirius cleared his throat. “I don’t blame you for anything, Harry,” he said quietly. “But just know that I’ve been James’ friend for a long time, and I value my friendship with him over my friendship with you.”

“I understand,” Harry said, and Sirius nodded. He then ran from the room after James.

“Well, I’m with you, Harry,” Remus said, making Harry grin. “I’ve known James for a long time, as well, but I know you have good intentions.”

Harry nodded. “Thanks, Remus. I appreciate that.”

Remus cleared his throat awkwardly. “So…what are you going to do about Lily?”

“I don’t know yet,” Harry sighed. “I still need to figure out a way to get her together with James.”

Remus laughed. “Well, good luck with that,” he said. “It doesn’t look like James is in any mood to collaborate with you anytime soon.”

“True that,” Harry said, chuckling. Remus did likewise.

“What about the kid?” he asked. “Are you going to keep it?”

“Lily wants to,” Harry replied, “but I told her that we can’t. You understand how hard it would be to get her to marry James if I stuck around with her and a kid. I saw that happen, and it won’t happen again.”

He proceeded to tell Remus of his visit back to the future. Remus listened intently, and Harry thought he would have a heart attack after he told him he would marry Lily after he himself disappeared. “Me and Lily?” Remus said in disbelief. “No way.”

“You don’t think so?” Harry asked. “You don’t like her, or what?”

“Oh, nothing like that,” Remus said. “She’s very pretty, and smart…but I wouldn’t think that she would find me appealing, especially because…”

“I would’ve done the same thing,” Harry said, and Remus raised his eyebrows “Not like that, of course,” Harry said quickly, “but situationally. You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I do,” Remus said, grinning.

“So you can see why I can’t stay with Lily,” Harry said.

“It’s unconventional, that’s for sure,” Remus said, frowning. “But I suppose you have no choice. You’re going to break her heart, though.”

“That’s the idea,” Harry replied. “I know, it sounds horrible, but I need her to hate me so she can fall in love with James. “Maybe she’ll see myself in him and use him as a substitute.

“Or,” Remus said, “she’ll be reminded of you through him and hate him as well as a result.”

“Gee, thanks for the support, Remus,” Harry said, smirking.

“It’s just hypothetical,” Remus said, shrugging. “It could happen!”

“Yeah, I suppose,” Harry said, nodding.

There was silence for a few seconds. “Listen,” Remus said, “I’ve got a lot to do tomorrow, so I’m gonna get to bed now.”

“That sounds like a great idea,” Harry said. He hadn’t slept for a long time, and his adrenaline from James’ attack was wearing off. He kicked off his shoes and changed into something more comfortable, then slipped into his four-poster. He lay thinking about all that had happened, and all that he must do, and it made his head hurt even more. He fell asleep without even taking his glasses off first.




Author’s Note: And there you have it! Chapter 2 at long last! Thank you so much for being patient with me, and I promise, if something else happens to prevent me from adding more chapters, I will do everything in my power to avoid such a long wait again. Please review!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75439