Her Heart's Desire by Ginny_Hermione
Summary: Months after Harry’s funeral, Ginny comes across a familiar mirror while wandering around the castle late at night. When she peers into the glass depths of the mirror, she finds what she lost months ago.

Xx-Part two in Goodbye Harry Trilogy-xX
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3310 Read: 1370 Published: 12/01/07 Updated: 12/12/07

1. Her Heart's Desire by Ginny_Hermione

Her Heart's Desire by Ginny_Hermione
Author's Notes:
So, this is the sequel to Goodbye Harry! I hope you guys like it! I put it under Dark/Angsty because I've been told it's made people cry, but it is seriously Harry/Ginny. This was written, by the way, for a hpff challenge.

*Disclaimer* Harry Potter isn't mine...
Her Heart’s Desire


Ginny Weasley walked down into the Gryffindor common room from the stairs of the seventh year's girls' dormitory. It was around midnight, and the common room was completely empty, the fire was diminished down to embers. It had been five months since Harry had died.

She reached the big red couch directly in front of the fire, an invisibility cloak and an old piece of parchment in one hand and her wand in the other. But it wasn't just any parchment; it was the Marauder's Map. It stated in Harry's will that Ginny was to have many of his possessions, including his father's cloak and the Marauder's Map.

She couldn't sleep. Instead, she felt restless and wanted to leave the confines of the common room. She leaned against the couch, putting the cloak atop the arm of the couch for a minute so she could activate the Map. As she did so, she was reminded of a night in December the year previous, waiting for Harry.

Ginny sat on the couch in the Gryffindor common room, waiting. She had been waiting in that lonely position for a few hours already . She had been waiting for two months. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had left to find a Horcrux of Voldemort's in early October, and now it was December.

Every night since he left, she would come down and sit on this couch, waiting and hoping he would come back that night. Eventually she would give in to her tiredness and go to her dormitory to sleep. But the next night would always find her sitting on the couch yet again, waiting.

This night was no different, or so she thought, as she stared into the dying fire. In her hand she was clutching a picture of her and Harry. They were smiling and laughing at the Burrow before they left for Hogwarts. She held onto it tightly, never wanting to let her eyes leave their happy faces. It was her favourite picture of them together.

The sound of the common room entrance opening broke her from her reverie. She couldn't help but wonder who would be coming in this late at night.

Finally, the forms of three people came into the room. Ginny's eyes went wide, and the picture she held so dear slipped from her grasp, but she took no notice. She slowly rose to her feet and gazed into the face of one of the people. He was a boy with raven hair and round glasses. It was Harry.

"Harry," she whispered, more to herself than anyone else.

The three people walked farther into the room, where the soft light of the dying fire showed them more clearly.

She repeated in a stronger voice, "Harry."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione's heads shot up at the voice, and upon seeing Ginny, Harry smiled. Ginny ran forward and engulfed Harry into a hug before hugging her brother, then her best friend as well. She turned back to Harry and matched his smile with one of her own. On either side, Ron and Hermione walked over to their separate staircases to go to sleep and give Harry and Ginny some time together.

"Goodnight," Ron and Hermione both chorused.

"'Night," Harry called back, looking over Ginny's shoulder. Ginny turned slightly and nodded, distracted by the boy with jet black hair and emerald eyes in front of her.
Harry. Her Harry.

Once they were alone, Ginny took Harry's hand and silently walked over to the couch. She sat down, pulling Harry down onto the couch with her.

She turned so she was facing him and smiled again. "I missed you," she said simply.

"I missed you too," was Harry's reply.

She leaned in and gave him a gentle, soft kiss. It was short and sweet, you could say. She pulled away and smiled yet again. He smiled back and laid down slowly on the couch, stretching out onto his side. She laid down next to him, and she snuggled into his warm chest, feeling his soft, cotton shirt against her cheek.

He wrapped his arms around her, and together they lay there. No other words needed to be spoken, no explanations given. They would have time for that tomorrow, but right then, all they wanted was to hold each other. And that's what they did as they let sleep overcome them.


Ginny blinked away the memory of herself and Harry together. She tapped the Map with her wand and murmured, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," and the familiar scroll of the Marauders came into view.

She pulled on the invisibility cloak and slipped out the portrait hole and into the corridor. The corridors were slightly chilly in the cool September night. She walked down the different halls, letting her feet guide her, and her mind wandered.

She was barely noticing where she was going when she heard a familiar wheezing sound. She glanced down at the Map when she saw a dot labelled 'Argus Filch' coming right towards her. She gasped and quickly ran towards the wall where there was a door. She grabbed the handle and tried to open it, but it was locked. She swore under her breath, hearing Filch coming closer, accompanied by a meow that could only mean Mrs. Norris was with him.

"Alohomora," she whispered quietly to the door.

There was a clicking sound, and she opened the door, which easily swung open. She hurried inside and shut the door quickly, but quietly, and relocked it. Pulling off the cloak, she dropped it unceremoniously onto the floor. She leaned against the door as a memory of herself and Harry once sneaking around at night came into her thoughts.

Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter walked down the halls of Hogwarts underneath Harry's old invisibility cloak. The corridor was chilled within the cold February night, and there was a peaceful calm about the school on that Valentine's night.

"Harry, do you plan to tell me where we are going?" Ginny's voice spoke through the quiet.

Harry glanced at Ginny before responding, "I'm not really sure. I just thought we should go somewhere; it is Valentine's Day, you know."

"Well, technically it's Valentine's night," Ginny teased before continuing, "and yes, I was aware of the day it was. But then, what is the point of being out after curfew if you have no idea where we are going?"

"I'm aware that you're aware what day it is, Ginny. And really, do I need a point to whisk you away into the night?" Harry said with a slightly dramatic air.

Ginny giggled, "Yes, as a matter of fact you do, and if we get caught, it’s entirely your fault."

"My entire fault? Why would it be my entire fault? You are here too, after hours," he shot back jokingly.

"Because," she replied as though it were obvious, "you were the one, as you so quaintly put it, who was 'whisking me away into the night.' So if we are found, it’s entirely your fault."

Harry laughed. The two adolescents continued their playful banter for quite a while, continuing to walk aimlessly. Still caught up in the teasing conversation they were engaged in, neither noticed how their voices carried through the silent halls. Nor did they notice a certain caretaker shuffling down the very corridor they were walking. It wasn't until they heard the ever common wheezing of Argus Filch that they both stopped dead in their tracks.

"Harry, check the Map," Ginny whispered, all notes of teasing in her voice gone.

Harry nodded. "Shoot, Gin, he's just around the corner. Come on," he replied, taking her hand. Under the cloak, they quickly started walking in the other direction.

But Filch's voice rang out, "I know someone's out there. I can hear you…" his voice trailed off, followed by some muttering under his breath.

Harry and Ginny broke into a run, the sound of their feet hitting the floor echoing throughout the corridor. They continued, trying to muffle the sound of their hurrying feet, before skidding to a stop in front of a door. Panting for breath, Harry ran forward, still holding tight onto Ginny's hand, and threw open the door. The couple ran inside before closing the door.

They stood, their breath slowing, against the door. They finally heard Filch pass, and both let out a long breath.

Harry slid down the door and onto the floor of the empty classroom, laughing. "There's nothing like wandering around at night and almost getting caught, eh?" Harry asked.

Ginny slid down next to him and tried to reprimand him in an impression of Hermione. "Harry, that was not funny! We were almost caught! You should be more of an example, being a seventh year."

Harry laughed harder, and the mock-anger face Ginny had on was wiped away, as she too laughed. She collapsed into a fit of laughter on top of Harry, and together they laughed. They laughed for the joy and happiness of being together and being teenagers. They laughed and laughed, all other pretences forgotten, just letting themselves be happy. At that moment, they were two teenagers, perfectly ordinary teenagers, without any worries. Whatever happened, or was to come, didn't matter. And together, they laughed.


The memory of Harry and Ginny that had obscured Ginny's vision passed. She felt as though an iron hand had grabbed her heart and squeezed it until it shattered. She still, five months after Harry's death, felt the intense pain of not having him there. She still remembered those moments of their time together, and each time, she would feel a sharp pain in her heart because Harry -- her Harry -- was gone.

She would pass by a place, and with it would come another memory. She would see a picture of them, and she would know that she would never smile like that again. She would never grin the happy grin that came with being in love because that was gone. The feeling of being in love was a feeling she no longer felt. No matter how many minutes, days, weeks, or months passed, she would still miss him.

It wasn't like she was crying every minute. No, she was alright on the outside. She still smiled -- still laughed -- but it wasn't the same. But how could it be? How could it be when he was no longer here? But it was times like this when she felt herself breaking inside, crumbling from her foundation; times when she did something she had done with Harry, but it wasn't the same. She didn't smile the same way, not when he wasn't there to laugh along with her.

Ginny sighed; wandering around after hours was exactly what she meant. It wasn't the same when it wasn't her and Harry, sneaking under the cloak, but just her. She didn't feel the same thrill of almost being caught or the wonder of the castle at night when Harry's hand wasn't clasped with hers.

Ending her train of thoughts, she glanced around the room. But what drew her eyes was a window. Now, most would think, a window? Why a window? But it wasn't the window; it was what was through the window, shining against the black night. The twinkling stars. They reminded her of a night, roughly a year before, that she and Harry stood under the silver stars.

"Here we are, Ginny," Harry said softly, pulling the cloak off the couple.

Ginny looked at Harry and then back to her surroundings. "Harry, why are we on top of the Astronomy Tower this late at night?"

Harry smiled. "Look up," he supplied.

Ginny did as she was told and gasped. Overhead were millions of stars winking at her from the ink-black night sky.

"Oh, Harry, it's beautiful!" Ginny sighed, pulling her eyes from the winking stars to Harry.

"I thought you'd like it. We come here for Astronomy, but you really don't get a chance to look at the stars and really realize their beauty. Of course," he added as and afterthought, "they're nothing compared to you."

"Oh, how corny, Mr. Potter," Ginny replied, but Harry didn't miss the pink tinge that appeared on her cheeks.

There was a slight breeze in the relatively warm air of the September night, which ruffled the young couple's hair. Ginny tucked her hair behind her ear as Harry held out his hand.

"Come here, Gin," he said. He led her to one of the edges, where they looked down upon the Hogwarts Grounds. The Black Lake was still, placid. The forest had a serene calm about it. Night was upon the whole school.

Harry's eyes fell upon the white marble which was unmistakably Dumbledore's tomb. Harry tensed slightly, but he moved his eyes from the tomb. He wouldn't let memories of the Headmaster's horrific death ruin his time with Ginny.

Ginny must've noticed Harry's slightly tense form, for she wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned into his chest. He too wrapped his arms around her, placing his chin gently on top of her head.

Harry smiled at the warmth that Ginny seemed to instil into him. The waft, coming from Ginny, of flowers entranced his senses. Ginny glanced up at Harry, pulling away slightly, and smiled. Her bright brown eyes shone with love for the boy she was so content with.

"See that star up there, Ginny?" Harry asked, unwinding a hand from her waist and pointing up to the sky to a very bright star, which was twinkling and glittering.

Ginny nodded. "Yeah."

"That star has a name," Harry replied. Ginny gave him a look as though he'd lost it.

"All stars have names, Harry," she said.

"Yes, but that one has a special name. Do you know what it is?" Ginny shook her head. "Its name is 'Ginny,'" he told her.

Ginny raised her eyebrows. "Is that so?"

"Yes, it is, as a matter of fact," Harry said in a mock-indignant tone.

"Alright, so, if I looked in an Astronomy book and found that exact star, would it say that the star's name is 'Ginny'? Or would that be a name you just gave it?" she asked teasingly.

"Fine," Harry huffed, "maybe I just named it now... but its name is still Ginny because I say so."

Ginny laughed at Harry's playful, immature tone. "And what gives you the power to name a star?"

Harry gasped in fake shock. "I have that power because I am Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, and I say that that star's name is 'Ginny,'" he said, his head held up high, mockingly.

Ginny laughed again, and Harry too joined her laughing. It was times like this that Ginny loved; times when Harry could act like an immature teenager, just as Ginny suspected his father had once acted.

When they sobered up, Harry spoke, "But do you really want to know why that star's name is 'Ginny'?" Ginny nodded before Harry continued, "It's name is 'Ginny' because that's your name, obviously. But that star represents what you mean to me, Gin. It's one of the brightest stars in the sky tonight, and look how it shines and twinkles. It makes me think of you, how your eyes shine and twinkle, and how you're my star, Gin. You're my shining star, always there shining brightly in the distance, leading me back to you."

Ginny sniffed, as Harry finished, "Oh, Harry, that was so sweet," she whispered.

"It's true. I love you, Ginny."

"I love you too, Harry. I love you too."

He leaned down and captured her lips in his. Together, under the starry night, they lost each other in their lips.


Ginny blinked away the tears that followed after the memory ceased. She walked over to the window and put her hand to the cool glass. Looking into the night, she swore she could see that exact star that Harry had named after her. It was blinking and glittering just as it had a year before. Ginny smiled slightly as the tears she just blinked back pricked her eyes again.

Tearing her gaze from the window, she looked around the room when a mirror caught her eyes. It was a large, elaborate mirror. It stood on two clawed feet and looked magnificent compared to the bland classroom. Her curiosity got the better of her, and she walked towards it. Upon the top, she saw an inscription reading: Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

She stepped away from the mirror to get a good look at it. She took a few paces back and gazed into the mirror. At first she saw herself, but then she gasped. Inside the mirror was Harry.

Harry was standing next to her, an arm wrapped around her waist. Ginny saw a twinkle and looked where it had come from. Eyes wide, she noticed it was an engagement ring, her engagement ring, on her ring finger. She clutched a necklace around her neck and felt what was attached to the fine gold chain.

It was a ring, her engagement ring; she had long since taken to wearing the symbol of her and Harry's engagement around her neck. She was curious as to what this mirror showed. It couldn't be the present or the future. Maybe the past was what it showed? She was considering this when she remembered what Harry had once said.

"I found a mirror in my first year called the Mirror of Erised. Ron saw it once as well. Dumbledore caught me staring at it once and told me about it. He said the happiest man in the world would see himself inside the mirror. In it, I saw my parents. That mirror shows no less or more than your heart's deepest desire."

Harry and Ginny had been talking when Harry remembered the mirror and told Ginny about it. It had been not long before Harry died.

Of course! Ginny thought. This is it! The Mirror of Erised.

She reached out a hand, and gently touched Harry's lips. It had been so long since they had been pressed against hers in passionate embrace. She stared at him. Of course, he would be in the mirror. She loved Harry; her heart's desire would be to have him alive.

She stared longingly at the mirror for she didn't know how long. But at one point, she hadn't been able to take it, and she collapsed to the ground in tears. She cried, wishing that this mirror could have showed reality. But she knew it wouldn't. Harry really was gone, and he would be gone, away from her, forever.

In the mirror, Harry had his arms wrapped around her waist. She remembered what it was like to feel that. She recounted the times they had walked, sat, or stood like that. Ginny's heart felt like it was constantly being smashed over and over again. Tears dripped down her cheeks as she hugged herself because Harry wasn't there. He wasn't there to hug her, and his strong arms wouldn't wrap around her protectively.

Eventually, she stood up. He legs felt weak, as though they would give out at any moment. She gazed at the mirror one last time.

"My heart's desire," she whispered softly to the mirror, her hand brushing against Harry's lips in the mirror one last time.

She walked towards the door to leave when she could swear she heard a familiar voice whisper, "Her heart's desire."

*Finite*


A/N:: Okay, there you go! I hope you liked the second part!! Look out for the third part which will be coming in a while!! Thanks for reading! And if you have any concerns, comments, questions, CC, or anything--review!! Thanks again for reading!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75621