Hope and a Promise by leahsm2
Summary: Addison Pidge, Hogwart's student, finds out too early that the wizarding world is so much more than it seems.

This is my First Chapter for Vindictus Viridian' s
Pride and Prejudice: NEWT The character-driven Romance.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1919 Read: 1697 Published: 04/04/08 Updated: 04/18/08
Story Notes:
Thanks to Haylee, World's Best Beta

1. Chapter 1 by leahsm2

Chapter 1 by leahsm2
The Golden Rule of Hogwarts, which is never actually stated, is that Slytherins and Gryffindors are, by nature, endowed with mutually exclusive attributes.

Though many examples would appear to diminish this simple law, the participants themselves tend to follow this to its logical conclusion, seeing the benefits of such a policy far outweighing any possible pitfalls.

“Severus,” Lily started, as she added the dried Honeysuckle leaves to their brew. “Did you know that Addison Pidge has been invited to join the Slug Club? Strange for a student in third year to be invited, isn’t it?”

Severus looked intently at the cauldron, uncomfortable with Lily’s attempts at small talk. How a person of her inordinate mental ability could busy herself with the mundane nonsense that passed as normal Hogwart’s interaction was beyond him. He carefully changed the angle at which he held his wand, and the potion reacted as expected, the colour becoming clearer. They looked up at each other, grinning at their progress. They would be more than ready to show up everyone in class tomorrow.

“She is hard working,” he said, hesitating to join the conversation, but unable to think of a nice way to stop it. “I believe her grades are beyond reproach, she earns a lot of House Points, and beyond all that, she happens to be a pure-blood witch whose parents are both from prominent families. Sounds like she was basically born to be a Slug Club member.”

“Yes, but you and I were both in our fourth years,” she pressed on, deciding to ignore the put upon look Severus was prone to make when he was uncomfortable. “I realize that neither one of us are pure-bloods, but he’d be hard up to find two better students. I can’t recall a single other member being chosen before fourth year. I honestly thought it was a requirement.”

He listened and had to silently agree that he also couldn’t think of a single member chosen below fourth year. He truly could not see what possible significance this would have to anyone other than some of the more loathsome social climbers within his own house, a fact that he felt was both obvious and not something he’d ever admit to anyone outside of Slytherin.

“Well,” he started, hesitating to complete his line of reasoning aloud. He looked at Lily who returned his intent gaze with a perplexed, but sympathetic look of her own, so he decided to continue. “She did do some impressive defensive magic her first year, well beyond someone with her limited experience. Perhaps that was the deciding factor.”

Lily looked hard at Severus’s profile as he added the next ingredient. She couldn’t imagine what went on in Slytherin that would include an impressive display of defensive magic by an eleven-year old girl. Lily considered herself to be as open minded as the next witch, but sometimes the things Severus said in that matter-of-fact tone of his were truly amazing. For his part, Severus felt he was a fairly easy read, at least where Lily was concerned.

~~~


That night, as he sat in the Slytherin commons checking over his homework, Severus couldn’t help but be distracted by the sight of Addison, who was also doing her homework. It was the same most nights. Addison, her best friend Isla, and Isla’s boyfriend Jonathon would sit at one of the quiet tables in the back of the common room, away from the general ruckus, and Severus would sit at another. They would politely exchange curt nods and go about their business, paying no more attention to each other. Unfortunately, with Lily’s curiosity aroused, Severus felt duty-bound to find out why Addison had been singled out.

He wasn’t particularly close to any of them, although they were always cordial. Thus, going up and asking them directly was out of the question. He wasn’t about to listen in on them, although he knew many ways to do so if he wished. Subtlety wasn’t his strong suit, but getting what he wanted was. Like many people with little to lose, Severus had quickly learned the fine art of biding his time and carefully scrutinized the situation.

Addison sat reading her Arithmancy homework. She found it all terribly confusing, but would have died before admitting it. She went back to her class notes and reread the passage for the fourth time, fighting through her frustration until it began to make some sense. She looked momentarily at Isla, who was watching Jonathon play with his quill as he read. Isla invariably finished her work before dinner, while Jonathon practised Quidditch. She mentioned on occasion that Addison worked too hard, but she’d just laugh it off, knowing that in order to be competitive, she had little choice. Finally, Addison was able to complete the last of the diagrams for her homework. She closed her book, looped up her parchment, and was just about to start on her potions reading when Isla interrupted her.

“So… Addison Pidge the Slytherin wonder-child strikes again,” she teased. “Why didn’t you tell me you were invited to Slughorn’s little soiree? I had to hear it on the streets from that vile roommate of yours. You know, the little pudgy one with all those nasty freckles?”

“Her name’s Betsy,” Addison said, knowing full well Isla knew her name. “She was still in class when he invited me.”

“Well, I can’t tell you the disappointment one feels, being out of the loop.” She faked a pout and continued. “The whole of Hogwarts tittering over the news and me, the supposed best friend . . .”

“I didn’t think to mention it. I mean, you two are always invited, it was just a matter of time until he invited me.” Addison whispered, opening her potions book.

Jonathon looked at Addison in amazement. “You truly have no idea, do you?” he asked quietly. “Addison, no one has ever been invited before fourth year before. Everyone is talking about it.”

Addison looked at Jonathon. She thought for a moment, and then gave him a small smile. “Old Slughorn strikes again. He’s pretty slick.”

She went back to her reading. By now, all three of the other students were openly staring at her. Addison could feel their eyes on her and instinctively looked up. She looked at Severus, who looked expectantly back at her, and then at her friends sitting with her.

“It’s no big secret. It’s just that his sources are pretty good. My sister, Zeledon,” Addison paused, laughing at Isla as she crossed her eyes and scrunched up her lips at the mention of the name. She noticed Snape roll his eyes as well. “She’s getting married to some foreign diplomat’s son this summer. I guess his father is terribly important. Since Zeledon was never much of a student, he never invited her to join his ‘club, so I guess he decided the best chance he had of getting invited to the parties was through me. Knowing how my father is, it’ll probably work, too! It’ll be in the papers eventually. I’m just surprised he already knew.”

~~~


Ten minutes before the first Slug Club meeting found Addison standing in the Slytherin commons, debating whether she should continue waiting for Isla and Jonathon or not. She really didn’t want to start off on the wrong foot by being late, but the prospect of walking in alone was daunting. She had been happily ignorant of the commotion she was causing, but ever since her friends had pointed it out to her, she couldn’t help noticing the stares and pointed remarks.

“What makes her so special?” an older Hufflepuff girl had stage whispered as she and Isla walked down the hall that morning.

“Are you talking about me?” Addison asked as she stopped, ominously drawing her wand and staring straight into the other girl’s eyes. Normally, Addison wouldn’t have cared, but this was getting out of hand.

The girl’s friends hurried her in the opposite direction. “What were you going to do to her?” Isla snickered, as they watched them retreat.

“Haven’t a clue,” Addison answered. “I would’ve figured that out if she pressed me.”

Finally, Isla and Jonathon appeared and they set off for Professor Slughorn’s office. When they arrived, his door was open and the sounds of strange music wafted through the air. Addison stood in the doorway, looking around the room as he descended upon them.

Professor Slughorn was dressed in one of his finest robes, made of a shiny dark purple colour, which unfortunately made the stout little man look like an animated settee. He rushed forward, taking Addison by the elbow and introduced her to the group. She met a philosopher and a few low level ministers, until a tall, grey haired man with a short beard caught Slughorn’s attention and he steered her over to meet him.

“My dear friend, Homer Ornitz. I would like you to meet one of my most prized students, Addison Pidge. Addison, Homer here, writes the Society Column for the Daily Prophet. I’m sure the two of you will have plenty to talk about,” Professor Slughorn announced as he gave Addison a slight wink and swiftly moved on to his next conquest.

“Pidge, was it?” the man questioned, lighting his pipe and peering at Addison intently. “I assume you are related to Zeledon and Marcus Pidge?”

Addison grinned broadly at the mention of her sister and father’s names and nodded politely, as the man continued. “Very interesting family your sister is marrying into. Very interesting indeed.” he added cryptically, as he too wandered off.

Addison stood with her mouth slightly agape, barely having time to wonder what he had meant by that remark, when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She turned slightly and saw Lily Evans smiling at her.

“Addison. I just wanted to welcome you to the Slug Club.” Lily said, beaming broadly. She handed Addison a butter beer and looked around the room for others to introduce her to. She spotted James and Sirius in a corner and led Addison over to them. They were just about to join the two boys when Sirius put his head close to James ear.

“That Pidge girl, that caused all that commotion looks like a bit of an Anorak,” he attempted to whisper, just as the girls had entered hearing range. “At least her sister was tempting.”

Lily tried to manage a graceful retreat, but Isla came up behind them, noticing the color burning Addison’s face, as the younger girl pulled herself from Lily’s grasp. Isla had seen that look on Addison’s face before, just once. She didn’t like it.

“Everything all right here, Evans?” she asked Lily coldly, the longstanding animosity between them chilling the over warm room.

Lily stood with her own cheeks burning. She should’ve known better. Lily didn’t even attempt to answer Isla, but just stood glaring at the boy’s backs.

“Honestly, Addison,” Isla continued. “I leave you alone for a minute and look where you end up.”

The boys turned around, sheepishly looking at Addison. She returned their looks, willing herself to be calm. “Apparently they prefer Zeledon to me, Isla,” she said, her eyes meeting Sirius’ in a steady gaze.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=78156