Albus Potter and the Year of the Badger by Sly One
Summary:

His fears? Flying...his own wand...fitting in...sticking out! His best friends? A passionate fire-breathing cousin, and a cool, aloof Death Eater's son. His destiny? Anything but ordinary!

Join Albus as he experiances his first year at Hogwarts and begins the journey out from under his father's collosal shadow, if he can survive it of course!

Meet the new Tenacious Trio, Albus Potter, Scorpius Malfoy, and Rose Weasley


Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 61027 Read: 103662 Published: 05/23/08 Updated: 09/08/09
Story Notes:
My take on the Post-Epilogue. I hope I do JK proud!

1. Chapter 1 Compartmentalized by Sly One

2. Chapter 2 Boats, Brothers and other Decisions by Sly One

3. Chapter 3 A Sorted Problems by Sly One

4. Chapter 4 Of Badgers and Broomsticks by Sly One

5. Chapter 5 Greater Expectations by Sly One

6. Chapter 6 Something Happened on the Way to Normal by Sly One

7. Chapter 7 Apologies and Mythologies by Sly One

8. Chapter 8 Mal-feasance by Sly One

9. Chapter 9 The End of a Very Long Day! by Sly One

10. Chapter 10 Vampires, Roses, Wandwork...(Part One) by Sly One

11. Chapter 10 Vampires, Roses, Wandwork...(Part Two) by Sly One

12. Chapter 11 Flying Like A Dragon's After You by Sly One

13. Chapter 12 The Choice by Sly One

14. Chapter 13 Perspective Gained by Sly One

15. Chapter 14 Quidditch Tryouts and Other Tragedies by Sly One

16. Chapter 15 Duelling Before You Know How by Sly One

17. Chapter 16 The Badger and the Snake by Sly One

18. Chapter 17 Simmering Rivalry by Sly One

19. Chapter 18 A Threefold Cord by Sly One

Chapter 1 Compartmentalized by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Albus and Rose meet a friend from the wrong side of the tracks.

Albus Potter was making his way through the Hogwarts Express. His brown hair, which he had attempted to tame into a part, still had a wayward cowlick waving in the back. Picking his way through the stream of students in black school robes with his trunk and owl, searching for an empty compartment.

He knew that his parents expected him to stay with his big brother. They should have realized that, in the last few weeks, he had had enough teasing from James Sirius Potter to do him for a lifetime!

“Oh, you’ve got that runty, little, slithery quality about you,” James would say under his breath while Mum and Dad were out of the room. “We might as go ahead and get you some green robes now to match your eyes!”

James had actually put a common rat snake, nicked from the park, in Albus’ sock drawer at one point! That prank earned him a private conference with Dad in the den. Once Albus was brought in to accept the apology, James remarked, “I’m sorry Albus. I just thought you’d get on with a snake!”

After loading their belongings on the train and saying their goodbyes, Albus and Rose pushed their carts down the corridor. Their owls, Rose's big tawny screech owl, Celestina, and Albus' Nox, a smooth black long-winged eagle owl, were hooting softly in conversation in their cages, stacked on top of the trunks.

As they arrived outside the compartment they where supposed to ride in, they saw James entertaining some girls his age, bragging animatedly. From the gestures he was making, it was obvious he was telling about the atrocities he had visited upon his sensitive little brother the last few weeks. Tight as twins with Rose Weasley since they were toddlers, it only took one silent look and a nod on her part for them to agree to defy his parents’ wishes. So they passed James by, and went on to find another car to ride in.

In spite of the stress from ducking his brother, Albus was enjoying his walk through the train. Bits of lively conversations echoed around him, the sense of history was everywhere. So many wizards had made this same journey, and walked through these posh, red panelled, carpeted hallways. Included in that number, was one frightened and lonely boy named Harry, with a lightening bolt scar on his brow, on his way to destiny all those years ago. It was strange for Albus, to think of his dad being that small, alone and scared, but he took courage from the thought.

Now it was his turn.

Rose, with her sprinkle of freckles, pert little nose and mane of bushy auburn hair, was just behind him. She was prattling on as usual, about things she had read in the copy of Hogwarts, A History given her last Christmas. Practically inhaling it, she was now able to quote entire chapters.

“And then the four founders came up with their criteria for the House named for them. Godric Gryffindor had this old hat, which they all enchanted, and that was…”

Albus was only listening with half an ear, just enough to know she was still behind him. He felt he could handle anything if he stayed close to Rose.

It wasn't long until Albus started to worry that leaving James had not been a good idea. Almost to the end of the train, they still hadn’t found a compartment. Most of them were full; the ones that weren’t contained students that didn’t look too friendly to the passing first-years. He fretted about not finding a seat and being stranded in the corridor for the whole trip until Rose put a restraining hand on his shoulder.

“Here’s one! You almost walked right by. Honestly! Are you paying attention Al?”

He gave her Uncle Ron’s familiar affronted look that she would dare suggest such a thing! And calmly assured her that he was indeed paying attention. She countered him with a classic Aunt Hermione look that told him she wasn’t buying it for one second. They glowered at each other for a few moments, but then they had to grin. Albus glanced through the glass, and saw that the compartment wasn’t empty after all.

It was the same slender white-blond haired boy, with the sharp features, pointed chin and imperious manner, they had seen on the platform. He was sitting staring forlornly out the window in his school robes, his head resting on one hand.

“That’s the Malfoy boy; Dad told me to beat him at every test,” Rose announced, forgetting to keep her voice from carrying, as usual. Over the years, this little defect of hers had generated more than one awkward situation. When the lone occupant of the compartment turned with a start, and a touch of trepidation, and saw them staring at him through the door, awkward was the best word to describe it. Albus watched as Malfoy, seeing no threat, sneered and pulled cold aloofness around him like a heavy cloak the brief moment of vulnerability gone instantly. He dismissed them by turning back to the passing countryside. Not a good first impression, to say the least.

Albus made a quick decision. They could go all the way back to the caboose and not find a compartment this empty, or try to salvage the situation here. Unless this boy was Lord Voldemort reborn, he and Rose could handle whatever he dished out.

“This one is fine,” Albus said. He lugged his heavy trunk, with Nox hooting indignantly, to the door and slid the panel back. “Really hate to be a bother, but this is the only compartment open.”

Brooding like he was having the first rough day of his life, Malfoy was obviously thinking that this interruption wasn’t going to be an improvement. However, Albus could tell Malfoy’s desire to not be alone in the car like some museum oddity was outweighing the infringement. The answer hoped for came in the form of a curt nod before the other boy turned once again back to the window.

It was then that Albus had one of what James called, creepy little boy moments, when he realized that, in a way, he had just been indescribably rude. He had told the boy he was a last resort. He tried to think of a way to amend his last statement, but Rose beat him to it.

“Albus, you git! I told you we should have gotten in that last compartment, but no! You said they didn’t look like people you wanted to sit with! Now you have us disturbing this boy. He obviously doesn’t want our company!”

Brilliant, Rose, Albus thought. Now Malfoy wasn’t a last resort, but someone they had chosen! Albus gave her the grateful look she deserved for covering up his social mistake. She wrinkled her nose cutely in reply.

She started to tug their things back through the door to complete the ruse when a very cultured and sophisticated, but somehow soft, voice said, “There is plenty of room…”

Albus’s eyes met Rose's from around Celestina's cage, his back turned to their new companion. As he helped her lift her trunk over the track, she winked, and he grinned back. They were going to be such a good team!

Being a half-inch taller than either of them, the Malfoy boy helped them get their trunks into the overhead bin. The owls went in the floor between the seats.

Albus held out his hand to introduce himself and Rose. "I'm-"

“You’re a Potter and she’s a Weasley, obviously.”

Albus took that statement in stride, but he saw Rose's eyes flash daggers at the boy. A telltale flush crept into her cheeks.

“So what!" she snapped. "We do have first names, you know!”

Malfoy looked taken aback by her reaction. It quickly became obvious he honestly hadn’t realized his words were offensive. “I'm sorry,” he said quietly.

Rose, used to constant verbal combat with her dad, mum and cousins, appeared off balanced by his lack of argument. “That’s okay, "she stammered, “I’m Rose and he’s Albus.”

His hand was as long and slender as the rest of him, when he offered it. “I’m Scorpius Malfoy.”

“I’m sorry if I seemed a bit short,” he said a little later as they settled in across from each other. “But my looks, and the mere mention of my last name, is causing people to foam at the mouth.”

“Well,” Rose replied offhandedly, “you happen to be the grandson and son of two of the only Death Eaters acquitted after the Battle of Hogwarts. You should expect for people to find that offensive, wouldn’t you say?”

Her words, carelessly given, had an immediate effect of turning things ugly. The weary boy, having had enough of defending his family, blurted out, "Well in case you don't remember, basking in the glory of your family's universal adoration," he said, his pale face flushed with anger, "the great Harry Potter is the one that spoke up in their behalf! He owes my grandmother his very life!"

Rose wasn't going to back down and Albus could almost see weaponry on both sides lining up for battle, as they started to square off. Albus, however, found the situation ironic. He had more in common with this boy, than he did with anyone else on the entire train! Overcoming unrealistic expectations because of family history was a challenge they obviously shared. And here they were, (or rather, Rose was) about to become enemies. All this impending argument was going to accomplish was to separate him from the one other boy who might just understand what Albus was facing.

In a moment of frustration he blurted to Rose, “So what does it matter! I’m a Potter, you‘re a Weasley, and Scorpius here is the offspring of a bunch of big, bad, Death-Eater gits! Can't we fight later, and sit now?”

They all looked at each other a moment, stunned. Suddenly, all of the tension and fear and anger flowed into a laughter so hard their stomachs ached.

Scorpius snickered out, “Since your father…is Saint Harry Potter…saviour of the Wizarding world, do you need lighting at home…or do you just use his halo?”

Albus guffawed, “When your dad…washed Lord Voldemort’s shorts…by hand…how did he get the sulphur smell…out?”

They were literally howling when the door slide open and the beauty that was Victoire Weasley poked her head in. Her bright strawberry blond hair glistened in the overhead lights, her part-Veela ancestry somehow managed to make the abrupt motion graceful. The Head Girl badge pinned to her dark school robes twinkled.

“Oh, there you two are.” Victoire’s mother’s heavy French accent gave her daughter's speech patterns just enough French flavour to make her even more exotic. “I told your parents I would look in on you. I asked James, but he got snotty, said he hadn’t seen you since King’s Cross, so I came looking."

She looked around at the three younger students, rolling around the compartment in fits. “What’s going on here?” she asked her cousins, her eyes resting on the only occupant not familiar to her. “Why aren’t you with James? I'm not so sure your parents would want you sitting with a boy you don’t know.”

Rose simpered sweetly like her cousin, Victoire, had been known to do. “Oh, we know him. He’s the son of evil Death Eaters, haven’t you heard? Before you rudely interrupted, he was regaling us with his dastardly plans to destroy the entire Wizarding World at the ripe old age of eleven.”

Peals of laughter accompanied this statement; Victoire rolled her eyes and shut the door, which made it even funnier, so they laughed some more.

“I…seriously...need to stop…it‘s beginning to hurt!” Scorpius said, rolling over on the seat, bent over. Albus was on the floor between the two benches trying to stifle the hiccups, and the two owls in their cages on the floor glared at him, dignified and annoyed, as he worked to gain control. Rose had pulled the school robes she had been wearing since they embarked over her head, leaving just the bushy Weasley tinted brown hair poking out as she attempted to wipe her eyes.

They finally gained enough control to recover, but hysterical laughter was by no means too far off. They sat in a silence that was companionable. Albus, who finally got around to getting his robes on, pulled out some worn Exploding Snap cards that he always seemed to have on him somewhere. Without another word the other two had been dealt in. Two rounds where played by the time the snack cart came through.

The snack lady, who had been travelling the Hogwarts Express for the better part of twenty years, knew the significance of the grouping she saw in the compartment as she stuck her head in. "Any one need some snacks?" she said, her confusion apparent. The look became even more pronounced when Scorpius impulsively bought out close to her entire stock and shared it with Albus and Rose. She rolled away, murmuring about "Strange times we are living in."

Rose and Scorpius both dug into the chocolate frogs to add to their respective Wizard card collections, and soon they where in deep negotiations, trading them back and forth. Then Scorpius held up a Harry Potter card to Albus, who was watching them contentedly munching a sour grape liquorice wand.

“I’m thinking, that I might not be the only first year, dealing with a famous family name!”

Albus saw the familiar handsome face with the flyaway hair, scarred forehead, and glasses waving at him. He waved back absently.

“I think I’ve got the better end of the deal considering.”

Scorpius studied the card, making a statement meant to be off the cuff, but had too much a hint of trepidation to quite pull it off.

“I’m an only child; no cousins, outside of my parents, and grandparents, and now you two as well, but I still won’t know a lot of people when we get there."

Rose rolled her eyes. “Oh, believe me, you aren't missing a thing! We’ve got so many cousins, and relations, and friends, and friends of friends…”

“All courtesy of being related to Saint Harry Potter mind you!” Albus interjected with a chuckle.

“By the time we get there most of the staff has already been round to dinner!” Rose continued, “Professor Neville Longbottom himself is practically our uncle!”

“Professor Hagrid broke two chairs at Grimmauld Place last time he visited,” Albus said as an aside. “Our elf, Kreacher, insinuated if Hagrid ever comes back, he’s going to take the sock!”

Into the conversation leapt a cream-colour fur-ball with a chocolate brown tail and face, landing in Malfoy’s lap from the storage rack. Albus and Rose were startled, but Scorpius absently reached out to pet him.

“Don’t worry, it’s my cat, Kublai,” he told them as he picked the fluffy cat up by its scruff to look into its bemused chocolate covered face with the turquoise eyes. “Are you up then? I thought you where going to sleep all the way there!”

The cat, in response, batted the end of his nose with its paw.

“Alright, you can stay with me, ” Scorpius said with mock exasperation, letting the cat settle in his lap before giving Kublai’s ears a scratch.

The cat stared at the other two occupants like a king would his serfs, fixing his bright eyes on the two avian occupants, to their alarm. Rose reached out a cautious hand and scratched its ears, receiving a purr in response.

“I’d be a bit cautious, he’s a Mongol.” Scorpius told her. “He may be purring and friendly right now, but that can change in a second, no warning.”

Albus made no effort to reach for the cat. “That’s all right, I’ve had quite enough of cats to last me for a lifetime.”

Rose changed the subject. “Well, if you dislike how people treat your family so much, why not change what it means to be a Malfoy?”

His suddenly cool blue-grey eyes regarded her with hauteur. “You say that like it’s actually an option.”

“Why isn’t it?” demanded Rose. “Who is saying that you can’t?”

“I’ll be in Slytherin of course, you know what that means, not exactly a heroic lot.” With those words Scorpius went back to staring out the window, in a huff, his chin in his hand like when they first saw him. Kublai, sensing his mood, curled up and batted Scorpius’ hand. His hand moved under his cat’s chin, making the little pet stretch his neck and close his eyes in pleasure.

The silence was immediately awkward, but Albus broke it, surprising himself, by saying, “There are other houses, you know.”

Rose was aghast. “This coming from some one who has been stressed out for months about where he’ll be sorted! Gryffindor or nothing, you said!”

“You two belong in Gryffindor, obviously, and I’m bound to be in Slytherin. I’ll bet there’s not much chance of us being friends, beyond this point,” Scorpius said resignedly, staring out at the countryside

They sat in an uncomfortable silence, only broken by the owls hooting softly.

Then they heard the announcement: "We will be arriving in Hogwarts shortly, however, due to some recent unfounded accusations," the voice remarked with a sniff, "you will be required to check all personal items with the wizard on the platform."

It was fortunate that it wasn't long before the train lurched, grinding to a halt. They were careful not to look at each other as they collected their pets and trunks filing out into the crowding aisle.

End Notes:
This world belongs to JK. Just playing with her toys for a little bit!
Chapter 2 Boats, Brothers and other Decisions by Sly One
Author's Notes:
Can this budding friendship withstand the pressure of family?

Albus maneuvered through the buzzing, scurrying crowd of eager wizards and left his trunk and owl with the wizard watching the other luggage. Suddenly, he felt a thump on the back of his head. Without even turning, using reflexes instilled by enduring years of sneak attacks, he elbowed the perpetrator behind him in the stomach with unfailing accuracy.

"Hey, now! What was that for?" came the familiar voice of his cousin, Fred.

Albus turned to see the burly, caramel-skinned boy with a spray of freckles across his nose holding his midsection. His light brown eyes glared at Albus reproachfully.

"Sorry, Freddy," Albus remarked slyly, his tone making it clear that he really wasn’t sorry after all. "Thought you were James."

Fred’s expression was clearly overstated. As the resident family clown, he had quite the selection of comical reactions from which to choose.

"I will forget you insulted me in such a manner," Fred remarked with as snooty a tone as he could muster, "but once you learn to duel, young man, we have an appointment."

Albus snorted. "My dad’s Harry Potter. You sure you want to mess with his favourite son?"

Fred waved him off. "Uncle Harry wouldn’t dare mess with me! He knows I can make defeating old Voldy look like cake."

Rose, who had just strolled up, caught the last bit. She glared at Fred, arms crossed. "Can we go to the boats now or are you going to bore us to death with your delusions?"

Fred’s mock seriousness broke with a grin. "Voldy’s one thing, but she’s a scary one!" He chuckled.

Suddenly serious, Fred nodded at a solitary figure, now securing his beloved cat in his carryall for his journey to Hogwarts with the rest of the pets and luggage. Fred held his tongue as Scorpius slouched by, without a glance in their direction, on his way down to the boat dock. The pale boy walked with an invisible bubble around him. No one walked close to him if they could help it.

"Vickie told us you were getting cosy with that Malfoy boy. Couldn’t find better company, eh? He’s Slytherin material, he is," Fred remarked in poorly hushed tones.

As Albus stared after their companion of the last few hours, and he remembered that last depressing revelation that they were all destined be enemies.

Albus shrugged. "Who knows? If I land in Slytherin, we might be bunk mates."

Fred guffawed. "Oh, Teddy and I pulled that on James when he was a first year. All the way to the Sorting Hat, we swore he’d be a snake."

Seeing Albus’ still serious face, he hastily added, "You know all Potters and Weasleys have beds reserved in Gryffindor tower! Don’t even think that, mate!"

"I was kidding about you winding up in Slytherin anyway, so stay away from that Malfoy boy, you stupid little brat!" came the loud declaration from just behind him.

Albus spun and saw his older brother, James, standing a little closer to him than was polite. The spending money he was supposed to have given Albus earlier, clutched forgotten in his fist. It was obvious that he had overheard what was said to Fred, and was about to butt in with his two Knuts worth. Well, it was James; with his brains it was more like one and a half Knuts.

The two brothers had always been as different in outside appearance as they were in personality. Besides the black hair to Albus' brown, James was more rugged in appearance than his bookish brother, with a lot more Weasley showing through than Potter. And he wore an impishness and confidence tight around him like an invisible cloak.

Albus smirked. "Come to think of it, if you’re an example of what’s getting Sorted into Gryffindor these days, I might be better off in Slytherin!"

James was appalled. "You’re not seriously considering being friends with that Death Eater prat!"

Rose answered him, the flush on her face showing she had enough of her cousin's attitude.

"Al and I don’t care who his family is, James. And you should know better, you arrogant prig!"

Albus whistled under his breath.

James finally found his voice, growling, "If you get into the boat with that junior Death Eater, then Mum and Dad will get an owl before the night is through!"

Albus then noticed that there was quite the entourage gathered behind his red-faced brother. Uncle Percy’s fourth-year twin daughters, Molly and Lucy, were there, popping Drooble's Bubble Trouble in synchronicity, complacent as usual. Fred had moved over to stand with Roxanne, who was shorter and willowy, and the main informer on all of the grandkid's activities.

Just to the side of them was Dominique, Victoire’s fourth-year, less Veela, more Weasley-like, silvery-blond haired sister, with a concerned look on her face. Much nicer than her mother and sister, in Albus' opinion. While she looked ready to stand in if things got out of hand, she was smart enough to not get involved and make it worse.

Everyone that was in the family was there except Victoire, who was currently lecturing some students somewhere in the fog, oblivious to the drama her gossiping had caused.

Albus heard Rose’s intake of breath for another barrage, but he wanted to fire this one.

"Roxanne over there will be sending an owl anyway," he started, noting Roxie's guilty flush and Fred’s futile attempts to stifle a laugh. "The truth is, I would even welcome Hufflepuff if it got me away from a prat like you!"

With those words still lingering in the air like gunpowder residue on a battlefield, he waved merrily to his cousins and gave his brother one last disgusted look as he and Rose turned to go. She stuck out her tongue and followed.

Albus checked over his shoulder one last time to make sure he wasn’t going to be jumped and saw that James was still glaring at him, arms crossed, the money still clutched in a white-knuckled fist. Before he turned away, Albus saw Fred quietly touch James's shoulder, telling him it was time to leave. Albus couldn't be sure, maybe it was the light, but before his brother turned to head for the horseless carriages, he could have sworn he saw what looked like the beginnings of a begrudged admiration.

"Firs’ years! Firs’ years, come with me!" came the booming, gravelly voice, barreling over the crowd and causing some of the girls to yip.

The voice was familiar from family get-togethers and Christmases all the way back as far as Albus could remember. Sure enough, towering over the cowering new students was the shaggy head and broad shoulders of one Rubeus Hagrid.

"Firs’ years come with me. Right this way!" he bellowed, the beam of joy on his face disarming his intimidating size. Albus and Rose joined the flow of school robes headed in the direction of the towering half-giant. So distracted by a first-year girl with blue hair, Albus almost collided with a dark-hooded wizard.

The broad shouldered man steadied Albus, said, "excuse me," in a pleasant baritone voice, and continued past up the path. Rose hissed at Albus to pay attention to where he was going, but he was too excited. This was their first Hogwarts trip after all.

Hagrid saw Albus, who was following Rose down to the lakeside, and he edged up to them. "Tell Kreacher, er, sorry about those chairs. I offered to fix ‘em, but he wasn’t having it."

Albus had to chuckle. "Dad did a Reparo after you left. Kreacher’s bark is worse than his bite, he’s not mad at you. Mum said visit anytime you want. We’ll just have to find somewhere with sturdier furniture!"

Hagrid snorted good-naturedly at that. He waved them to the next boat in line, but they saw in the previous boat, as in the train, there was only one familiar, pale blond occupant, staring out at the water. Scorpius Malfoy’s fortunes weren’t changing much.

Albus felt a strong sense of irony. There was a moment on his dad’s first journey when he chose Ron Weasley over Draco Malfoy; and now it looked as if he had the opposite choice facing him. He wouldn't be disowned for being friends with Scorpius, but his family had made its feelings clearly known about the budding friendship. He exchanged a glance with Rose, who he saw was noticing the same thing, which helped make up his mind.

"Hagrid? Put us in that one," he stated resolutely.

Rose eagerly agreed.

Hagrid paused, a confused look passed on his great unkempt face. "I hate ter see anybody get left out. But, erm, his dad wasn’t a nice guy. He can’t help that, I know, but I hafta ask if you’re sure, Albie."

Albus nodded and Hagrid gave him a wry smile. "Mighty nice of yer. Just watch’im real careful."

Scorpius glanced up as the boat shifted, eyes narrowing in suspicion as his defences were once again in place.

"Were the other boats full?" he commented in that same sneering, arrogant tone he used upon their first meeting.

"Of course not!" Rose snapped. "You’ve got friends now. Get used to it, Mal-Boy!"

It had finally been said; it wasn’t official until that moment. Somehow speaking the words had cemented the forming bond. Albus saw Rose turn away from them, her face flushing as Scorpius turned back to looking across the lake, but not before they saw a tiny grateful smile curl his lips.

"Hold on everybody!" Hagrid called as he waved his battered pink umbrella in the dying light. The boats lurched forward, bringing cries of surprise from the Muggle-borns.

As they glided across the placid lake, the breeze played havoc with Rose's bushy locks. She was too busy to notice, staring into the dark depths, trying to see a Grindylow or a Mer-person, or even the famous squid known to protect first-years that fell out of the boat. Albus just admired the rolling hillsides, cliffs, and thick-forested acres that made up the land between Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. In the dimming light from the retreating sun, it all seemed even more magical than he knew it to be.

Albus turned away from the view and saw that Scorpius was back in his deep thinking mode chin in hand. It was amazing how quickly Albus had learned to read the other boy as though they had known each other for years. He wished there was a way they could be in the same House, all three of them together. He and Rose just didn’t have the make up for Slytherin, and he knew it. No matter how upset he got about the thought of being Sorted there, he had always known that deep down. Strangely, he didn’t think Scorpius belonged there either.

Trying to cheer Scorpius up, he commented, "Not all Slytherins are bad, you know. My dad named me Albus Severus after Severus Snape. He’s always said Severus was as responsible for of the downfall of Voldemort as Dumbledore, but no one has ever really given him the credit he was due. Well, that’s what my dad says."

Scorpius snickered derisively. "Albus Severus? I wouldn’t go around advertising that one."

"Why? Is yours any better?" Rose inquired, voice dripping with sarcasm.

Scorpius rose up a little in the boat, pride apparent. "It's Hyperion."

Rose giggled. "Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy? Why didn’t they just go ahead and write evil on your forehead?"

"From the reactions I’ve been getting, it might be there already," Scorpius remarked with a sad little chuckle.

They all would have had another laugh, but the towering, twinkling, spires of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry appeared through the fog around the lake. The sight of it sprawling all over the hill took their breath away. The fog wrapped around the lower levels and grounds so that the school seemed to exist on an island of cloud. The recently constructed four-story arboretum, located where the greenhouses had once stood, sparkled like emerald glass, adding to the mystery and majesty of the scene.

His dad never took Albus on visits here, telling him he wanted Albus' first view of Hogwarts to be as special as when he first set eyes the castle. Albus was at a loss for words, but as usual Rose had the right thing to say.

"Blimey," she said in an awed whisper.

"Blimey," Albus agreed. "Yeah, that about covers it!"

End Notes:
This world is all JK's, not mine. Please don't sue me.
Chapter 3 A Sorted Problems by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Has the Sorting Hat gone daft?


The view of Hogwarts didn't get any less spectacular up close. Albus stared wide-eyed at the venerable architecture at stone lain long before his great-grandparents were young, mixed with the newer, huge stone slabs used to repair the gigantic outer walls. Flags waved to and fro atop the towering spires, blown by the lake wind. Then the view was lost as the boats drifted into the underground cavern to the ancient boat dock. The students disembarked, gathered behind Hagrid's bulk, and followed him up the mossy stairs to a doorway built for someone larger than human. Albus wasn't the only one who started as Hagrid raised a ham-sized fist and banged three times on the massive, aged oaken door; the booming bass thrum echoing through the cavern.

The face that appeared as the door opened came as a shock to Albus. He knew his honorary "uncle" had risen to head of Gryffindor house, but the person that historically greeted first years was the Deputy Headmaster, which meant that Uncle Neville was moving up in the world.

"Here they are, Professor Longbottom. Safe and sound, as always," Hagrid announced to some gasps.

"Welcome to Hogwarts!" The serious, no-nonsense tone was one Albus had never heard his "uncle" Neville use. He was beginning to wonder if the jovial man who had been one of his favorite visitors in the past had changed to suit his new position

The other students seemed intimidated by a living legend, a hero of the great battle with almost as much notoriety as Harry Potter himself.

Professor Neville Longbottom kept up the looming impressiveness for another moment or two, then his face cracked and the jolly kind-hearted Neville, more in keeping with the man Albus was used to, peeked out.

"Sorry, can't keep that up. It's just not me. Well, come on, you lot!" he called with a chuckle, waving them inside. "You've got your letters, you're supposed to be here. Come on up, before you all catch your death. Up you get!"

He turned and entered cavernous doorway. The first-years filed passed a beaming Hagrid; the half-giant's grin was comforting to some, frightening to others. He gave Albus and Rose a wink as they passed.

The entrance hall they entered was massive. The ceiling was so high, Albus couldn't even see it, and all four floors of Twelve Grimmauld Place could have fit into the room. Stone walls were lit with magic torches, whose wicks were enchanted so that they would never be consumed. Albus tried to focus on following Professor Longbottom, but he couldn't help but examine his surroundings, his head on a swivel. The elaborate stonework was far beyond the descriptions he had been given by relatives, and he had never seen so many Wizard paintings in one place. Those paintings were not being subtle as they pointed and gossiped with each other, picking out features of former students.

"Is that him? Yes, I recognize the eyes. Scrawny little thing, just like his father and his father's father before him!"

"Oh look, Weasley hair and freckles. How many are there? That family gets bigger by the minute."

"Look at that boy; Leprechaun blood for sure. They can change sizes you know. It's a wonder they don't mix more often!"

Albus looked around and saw the smallest boy in the group. His hair was a coppery orange shade and he had more freckles than any Weasley. His bright hazel eyes glared a challenge at the paintings as he went by. One of the paintings suddenly fell off its hook, jolting all of the occupants before falling face down. Albus could have sworn the boy smiled as though it had been intentional.

The professor led them across the flagstone floor, past a pair of massive oak doors that made the doorway from the dock look small. A steady buzz of hundreds of conversations seeped out. He led them by the intimidating marble stairs that swirled to upper floors, and into a small chamber just off the hall.

When they packed into the chamber, Professor Longbottom started searching his robes. "Hold on a bit; I’ve got my notes here somewhere." He patted himself down and pulled out a small potted plant from one pocket, then put it back in as an actual toad hopped out of another.

"There you are, Trevor," he murmured to the sound of giggles.

Albus had known Uncle Neville his entire life. He wasn't this unorganised or incompetent, so this all had to be an act to to set the first-years at ease. It would be just like the Neville he knew, to play the fool, so the new students would feel less intimidated.

"There...my specs!" The professor settled some wire rims on his nose. "Oh well, I guess I need to use a little bit of magic. I must have left my notes on my desk."

With that, Professor Longbottom stretched his long arms out, tugging at the cuffs to show nothing up his sleeve. With a flick of the wrist, a set of note cards appeared in his hand.

Students applauded.

"Oh yes, here we go. To whom it may concern." He looked over his spectacles at the students. "I assume this means you."

Albus chuckled with the others, feeling in on the joke.

"The sorting is about to begin. In Hogwarts, we have four houses." He held up fingers as he counted them off. "Gryffindor: my house by the way, not being biased, just stating fact. Ravenclaw: a real smart lot over there! Hufflepuffs: my wife was one of those, and she turned out all right. Tell her I said that, will ya? And, oh yes, let's not forget old Slytherin: a good house indeed, in spite of any rumours you might have heard. Every student will belong to one of those four. All of them have produced some exceptional wizards. These houses will be your family in Hogwarts. You will eat and go to classes and hang out with your housemates. The connections you make will last a lifetime. I know from experience!"

Albus peered sideways to see if Rose noticed that their "uncle" was glancing over his spectacles directly at them. She had. They traded grins.

The professor continued, "So when they are ready for you, you will follow me to the front and I will put the Sorting Hat on your head. That’s it; no wrestling trolls, no spell tests or any such rubbish you may have heard. Oh, and the hat doesn't bite…much." He chuckled as several of the students gasped. "Just kidding, couldn't resist. Sorry."

He turned to the door. "I'll be back in a bit, as soon as they are ready. Don't kill each other. It's the start of term, much too early for all that extra paper work!" He smiled with a twinkle in his eye, and then was gone through the doors.

Albus took the opportunity to look around the room. Over to his left were two girls who obviously were already acquainted, chattering away in French. The blue-haired girl Albus had seen earlier was glaring scathingly at a beauty who was brushing her hair into a feathered golden cascade. There was a very large boy, almost as wide as he was tall, looming over the small boy who the painting thought to be part Leprechaun. There was an Asian girl and a tall, pretty, dark-haired girl with long, straight hair. They seemed to be in competition to see who could flip their bangs the most. Behind stood some unpleasant looking girls and boys who had that Slytherin scowl, and there was one small boy in the back, leaning against the wall with prematurely silver hair; his eyes glimmered like shiny Sickles. He looked up at Albus like he knew he was being watched, and a cold smile curled his lips. Albus quickly looked back to the front, vowing never to cross that boy if it could be helped.

Professor Longbottom returned. "I would tell you to smarten yourselves up a bit, but that’s our job, so come on!" He turned and swept through door, leading them into the Great Hall of Hogwarts.

The hall was just as huge as Albus had always been told, even bigger than he had always imagined. The spectacular room was lit with thousands of flickering candles with no visible means of support. The towering windows reached up several stories into the spelled ceiling, which was showing an obsidian night sky, clear and spotted with bright points of light and roving clouds under a yellow tinged moon.

The tables where full of students with empty gold plates, silverware, and goblets. The table to his left, with bright yellow table coverings trimmed in black, had a motley assortment of students who where smiling encouragingly. Across the aisle to the right was a large table decorated in midnight blue with bronze, full of intense pupils who where studiously focused on the stream of youngsters as they passed weighing their attributes, already. Beyond them was the deep green and silver table with a group of glaring students dissecting the first years with their eyes.

Albus saw a bunch of his cousins at the crimson and gold table beyond the Hufflepuffs. Fred held court with some students, likely giving them the run down of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes products. Roxanne was glaring at her brother, probably preparing to tell on him after she sent the owl off about Albus and Rose’s new friend. She didn’t seem to realize that after his initial disapproving noises, Uncle George or Ron, who still helped out when he wasn't on Auror business, would owl Fred to send in those orders and collect the money. They had a regular underground trade going.

Percy’s twin girls were radiating colossal indifference, as usual, popping bright purple gum in tandem and glancing at some boys, who seemed to be assessing the twins’ slender figures from the corners of their eyes.

Across from Fred and Roxanne, with a group of second year cronies, was James.

"Worried I'll embarrass the family and get Sorted into the wrong house?" Albus thought as he returned James' glower.

They filed by to the front of the room, passing Dominique and Victoire who were sitting together at the head of the Gryffindor table. The younger sister's body language stated clearly that she was not a best mate to her tall, glamorous sibling.

Alternating in and out of the tables were the silvery-white shimmers of the Hogwarts ghosts. The cheerful Fat Friar was leaning down to greet returning Hufflepuffs and offer opinions about the students passing by. The infamous Nearly Headless Nick was chatting as loudly as he floated over the Gryffindors about how he was trying not to shock first years this year. "So do not even attempt to convince me otherwise!" the ghost cried as his head wobbled precariously on his lacy ruff. The elegant Grey Lady was sitting with the Ravenclaws, staring penetratingly at the new students, while the Bloody Baron glowered at her silently from his dark place just behind the Slytherin table, his silvery bloodstains making him grim and foreboding.

The teachers and heads of houses lined up across the front, at the staff table up on a dias. The students followed Neville to a lone stool between the students and staff. He picked up the scroll from his place at the table and patiently waited for everybody to line across the front so the Sorting Ceremony could commence.

On the end of the table was Arcturus Flint, the dark-goateed potions professor and the Head of Slytherin house. The man had a hulking, glaring, intimidating presence, and was bald as a billiard ball. Beside him was the lovely, gentle presence of Padma Patil; she was as sharp as a Hippogriff's beak, but as delicate as an East Indian lotus flower, and Head of Ravenclaw house. She was the challenging professor of Charms. The pleasant, smiling man to her left, making apologies for arriving a bit late, was Atticus Pharrel, someone who Albus had only heard about in passing. The stoutly built, balding, brown-haired man was Hufflepuff’s Head of House, and Hogwarts’ Defence against the Dark Arts Master for the last five years.

Albus knew a few more professors from home visits.

Victor Krum had been added two years previously, after stepping down as Durmstrang’s youngest headmaster in history. He now taught flying and oversaw the Hogwarts intramural Quidditch program. Rumour had it that the now retired, legendary Bulgarian seeker had fallen in love with Hogwarts as a Tri-Wizard tournament contestant, and had been looking for the chance to return ever since. His bushy hair, streaked with grey, was pulled back into a ponytail, and his hawk-like, hooked nose had a slight cant from the rogue Bludger that ended his international career. The dark eyes scanned the room from under his bushy eyebrows, narrowing and nodding when he recognized Albus and Rose.

Freya Bast, the former Auror, who taught the Transfiguration class, was catching a lot of stares, as usual. Her long, ash blond hair was the only thing normal about her. Peeking out from that mane were two ears more commonly found on a house cat.

With bright amber eyes that seemed to attract and reflect the light around her, whiskers on a furry feline face, dainty fangs when she smiled and long claws on her tawny furred hands when she waved greetings at students, Freya took some getting used to.

Freya had been one of Albus' dad's best Aurors, with a keen nose for trouble. Most often, he would send her when the situation needed to be scouted out. Her last mission had resulted in her current condition, which was a partial but ongoing transfiguration into a house cat.

She was investigating a pet shop in Knockturn Alley that was selling unusually intelligent pets . She confronted the wizened witch owner, asking for breeder paperwork, and then uncharacteristically turned her back. She was hit with a transfiguring curse, but before it was complete, Freya's reflexes kicked in and she managed to stun the witch. The elderly crone's heart gave out, and she died instantly. As it turned out, the woman was transforming Muggles into house pets for wizards, using an unknown dark spell that only she knew.

Through the years of trying to halt the spell and reverse the affects, Freya had acquired an amazing amount of transfiguring knowledge, learning from everyone she could, even Minerva McGonagall herself, but she had had to retire from public life because of her looks. Albus' dad, still feeling responsible for her condition, made a requested to appoint her to the Transfiguration post at Hogwarts when the interim teacher that took over after McGonagall retired. Now Freya found acceptance and fulfilment as one of the most demanding but popular professors.

And there, in the centre of them all, was the Hogwarts current headmaster: Kingsley Shacklebolt.

A few years older than when he held the post of Minister for a record fourteen-year run, he was as lordly a man as Albus had ever laid eyes on. His African descent was obvious in his dark blue robes decorated with stars and a dark blue, gold-trimmed kofia flat on his baldhead. A grey, tightly trimmed beard, covering a strong jaw, and his dark eyes radiated the strength of character and iron will that had rebuilt the wizarding world in the aftermath of the war against Voldemort. All he did was rise and, without a word, the Hall quieted.

Kingsley's voice resonated in the hall, unassisted by magic, but with a magic of its own. "I wish to welcome our newest students to Hogwarts. I will make the necessary announcements later, but as for now, let’s get these bright young wizards Sorted shall we?"

Neville nodded, and so it began.

Albus was surprised that now that the dreaded moment was here, he wasn’t as nervous as he felt he should have been. The old, tattered hat was brought out and the tear at the brim sang in its raspy, magically projected voice:

I am the Sorting Hat, the one and the same,

I have no doubt you’ve been informed,

Of my widespread fame,

I will place you, young ones, where you will remain,

So pay attention, all of you, to my small refrain,

Gryffindors are fiery, bold, be sure that they’ll be first,

To lend a sword or arm, when things have reached their worst!

Hufflepuffs will be there, in that day of strife,

You can be sure those earthy ones, will be loyal in the fight,

Ravenclaws are ready, bright and right and smart,

In their Aerie, intellect, is as dear as heart,

Slytherin, those watery ones will always reach their aim,

With shrewdness, craft and cunning, they are sure to win the game,

All of these are equal; all will have their day.

There is a House for everyone, more than just a place to stay,

Deciding which one my young ones, is a pleasure that's mine you see,

For I am the Sorting Hat, just leave it up to me!

 

The song was met with wild applause.

Albus shifted nervously as Neville walked to the front and begin the roll call. The first name was familiar.

"Abbot, Olivia!"

A little pink-faced, dark-haired girl with blue eyes and pigtails came to the stool. She was the very image of Neville's wife, Hannah, except Hannah was blonde. Albus seemed to recall Neville mentioning that Hannah's first cousin had a daughter his age.

The decision of the hat, so large on her head it nearly touched her shoulders, was almost immediate.

"HUFFLEPUFF." it called to cheers from the yellow and black table.

Olivia handed the hat to Neville, who gave her a wink, and then sat down gratefully at her house table.

"Baldwin, Allen!"

A handsome, swaggering boy came forward, obviously used to attention.

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat called as soon as he got settled with it on his head. The boy sat the hat down and strolled casually over to the loudly cheering bunch at the red and gold table.

Things proceeded quickly from there; a little round boy with the unfortunate name of Gaspar Boone was sorted into Hufflepuff, letting out a loud sneeze as the hat was taken off his head. An extremely slender boy with long blond hair and the unfitting name, Thor Boot, went to the riotous Gryffindor table next. The boy who seemed to be part Leprechaun turned out to be called Cormac Collins, and he joined the happily cheering Hufflepuffs, getting a pat on the back from a tall boy with careless finger-combed curls. He was broad shouldered, with intense grey eyes and a charming smile. There was a Head Boy badge pinned to his robes.

One of the French girls, Aimee Couture, who had her light blonde hair in a fashionable bob, smiled with a little gap in her front teeth as she became the first Ravenclaw.

A sullen boy, Richard Cresswell, with his black hair in a ponytail went to Hufflepuff next.

"Donovan, Liam!"

Slinking to the front was the silver haired boy that had chilled Albus earlier. When the hat concealed his sombre eyes, Albus felt better.

"Slytherin for sure!" Albus murmured to himself.

"RAVENCLAW!" the hat called, and the spooky boy made his way passed Albus to the Ravenclaw table, which clapped politely as they got another member.

Margo Duval, the other girl from somewhere French speaking, turned out to be the next Ravenclaw.

Gorman, Azure!

The girl with the spelled-blue hair stepped up to get her "Ravenclaw" announcement. Albus thought, that Ravenclaw bunch is getting interesting!

Maya Goyle was a very large and unpleasant looking girl, and the very first Slytherin. Her glare once she reached the table fit right in.

"Grego, Rhys!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

"Ivy, Iris!"

HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Janski, Conner!"

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Jung, Joy"

GRYFFINDOR!"

"Kerry, Kian"

"SLYTHERIN!"

After the Asian girl from the Great Hall, Shi Lui, went to Ravenclaw, Albus's wandering attention snapped back on the proceedings when he heard,

"Malfoy, Scorpius."

The murmuring began at once, and Albus saw the Slytherins move down to make room. He watched as his new friend squared his shoulders, and pulled that cool arrogance about him as he walked up to the chair. The Hat was placed on his head, and after a few moments of intense discussion with the young man upon whom it rested, it announced,

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

The gasp from around the room was very apparent as the confused young man pulled the Hat off, staring at the battered cloth. Neville took it from his hands and kindly pointed out the Hufflepuff table. Albus saw James smirk as he leaned over to talk to Fred. Scorpius sat down, looking dazed. He got a pat on the back from the tall Head Boy, but the rest of the table just stared at him as the ceremony continued. They weren't even clapping in their shock.

Neville tried to hide his amazement at that strange turn of events by calling the next name on the list immediately.

The Sorting continued, with the large boy Albus remembered from the previous room, who turned out to be Grant Nedved, going to Gryffindor.

Albus tried to catch his new friend's eye, but Scorpius was staring out one of the towering windows, not even paying attention, lost in what appeared to be morbid thoughts. Albus almost missed his own name. Neville had to call it twice.

"Potter, Albus!"

A steady buzz of murmured comments accompanied him to the stool, and the Hat. A large fist of nerves was clenched in his stomach. To his surprise, as soon as the Hat was down over his eyes, he found that the slight scent of must and burnt leather was actually comforting.

"Let me see, yet another Potter. You lot are always such fun to sort! I see ambition, a laxity with rules…Slytherin? No…not enough ruthlessness in this one. Boldness is definitely here, possibly Gryffindor, like your father and his father before him. Well, him and all of those Weasleys? That would be the obvious choice…what say you, young wizard?"

Surprised to be asked, Albus realized that this was the moment when he could seal his own fate. His father’s words came back to him: "It doesn’t matter where you are sorted, we will be proud of you." In the dark of the Hat, he looked over at where the Hufflepuff table must have been, and thought about his new friend sitting there, alone in a House he had never expected.

"Ah, I see," exclaimed the Hat. "You’ve got great loyalty, young Potter. You want a fair playing field for everybody, even for one that traditionally should be your enemy. Well, dear boy, there can be only one place to sort you!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

The reaction was instantaneous. The whole Hall erupted with his relatives calling out for him to be re-Sorted. The entire staff table stared with open shock; all except Professor Pharrel, who was beaming ear to ear, as though he had just won the House Cup. Albus realized as he got out of the chair, giving the Hat to a suddenly pale Neville Longbottom, that he had a chance to be his own boy for the first time in his life, same as Scorpius. As the only Potter in Hufflepuff, the expectations would be so much less. He was a little sad, knowing that Rose and he would be separated, maybe for the first time in his life. The Hufflepuff table was cheering as he walked over and sat down, walking past all of the seats offered and planting himself beside Scorpius, who looked just as shocked as Neville.

"You didn’t tell the hat to sort you into Hufflepuff so we’d be together did you?" he said in a low voice, as though he feared that he would be blamed.

"No. But here we are, so cheer up, Mal-Boy! We just turned Hogwarts on its ear," he whispered back, as the Sorting ceremony continued.

It looked as though Neville was sleepwalking, almost terrified to place the hat on another student, but he relaxed when there were no more surprises for a while. The hair-tossing beauty, whose name was Rachael Vane, went into Ravenclaw, and then it was suddenly Rose’s turn.

Weasley, Rose!"

She strolled over, her back straight as the Gryffindors cheered, sure that the Sorting would be right this time.

Rose sat down and the Sorting began. She started talking almost immediately, and the Sorting Hat responded. She burst out into a big smile as the announcement was made.

"Got to be, HUFFLEPUFF!"

If there had been pandemonium over Albus, there was a near riot over Rose. The streak of Weasleys in Gryffindor, going back six generations, had just been broken. Professor Pharrel was beside himself clapping. The Hufflepuff table was celebrating as Rose handed the hat to Neville, who looked nearly faint, and she actually skipped over to the seat that Albus had nudged Scorpius over to make.

"What did you do?" Albus said to Rose, amused as the din calmed a bit.

She was smiling ear-to-ear. "I can't be at Hogwarts without you, Al! Besides, if we are going to win the House Cup for Hufflepuff, it’s going to take all three of us."

Scorpius grimaced. "If we survive the night, that is."

Albus decided truer words had never been spoken in the great halls of Hogwarts than those.

End Notes:
All JK's not mine....
Chapter 4 Of Badgers and Broomsticks by Sly One
Author's Notes:
Getting squared away in the Cellar.

The rest of the Sorting was over with Brian Zabini going to Slytherin, but the buzz was still a low hum. Neville placed the Sorting Hat to the side and collapsed into his seat, waving off a hurried whisper from Professor Bast. He looked like he had aged five years since he placed the hat on Albus’ head.

Professor Shacklebolt stood. His presence brought immediate silence to the hall.

"What has been sorted has been sorted. There have been a few surprises this year, but I expect..." he paused, his dark eyes causing the Gryffindors to study their empty plates, "for all involved to behave like Hogwarts students."

He smiled and the hall relaxed.

"There are a few announcements for the year." He cleared his voice meaningfully. "Because of the new Magical Creatures Equality Law, and the Dobby Elf Liberation Act there have been a few changes of note in our staff. You are now not allowed to issue any orders to house-elves. They are now officially employees of Hogwarts, and are to be respected as such." His resonating voice seemed to find a lower, menacing octave. "Any abuses will be punished severely."

Indignant glares from highborn students were cowed immediately.

He indicated an empty chair on the end of the dais. Due to Professor Binns finally realizing he's dead at the end of last term," Shacklebolt waited for student cheers to die down. "Our staff took on a new addition, who is at present on his way here by special night transport from Transylvania. I hope you will make Professor Hemophilias welcome."

Albus shot a puzzled look at Rose. Professor Hemophilias traveling at night from Transylvania? Could he be a vampire?

Rose knew what was on his mind like always. She whispered, "We'll ask Uncle Neville."

Suddenly, there was a cacophony of noise as a little man with wicked dark eyes and a wide mouth flew out of one of the walls backwards tossing something that looked like a helmet from one hand to the other blowing raspberries. On his heels were a number of ghostly horses ridden by knights in period garb except that all but one were headless carrying a head under their arm shouting threats as they gave chase through the other wall.

Following in their wake was a ghost holding a lantern and using a cane, but floating along at a good clip nonetheless. "I'm going to get you, Peeves, if it takes me the next century!" he shouted. Dour looking, with large jowls, the apparition carried a ghostly cat under his arm. She stared at the students with disdainful lamp-lit eyes.

The whole parade slipped through the other wall leaving silence in their wake.

Into the hush, Nearly Headless Nick sniffed. "Serves them right, those decapitated snobs."

Clearing his voice, mustering some dignity, Shacklebolt said, "It seems during the holiday, our long time caretaker Argus Filch passed, from his earthly body at least, so we have added a new caretaker to the staff for the times he will need corporeal assistance."

He indicated a corner off to the side, where stood, a goblin. Short, with large ears and nose and a long black beard he was twisting around one thick finger. He studied the student body with a diamond-hard, penetrating stare seemingly marking the troublemakers.

"Growltooth shares Mr. Filch's authority."

At that statement, the little goblin smiled, but his sharp, pointed teeth didn't make it friendly.

"And lastly," Shacklebolt finished in his deep baritone voice, "if I hear of one more student getting lost in the Forbidden Forest because someone…" His eyes found an innocent looking James Potter and Fred Weasley. "I don’t know who, informed them that Hagrid’s Care of Magical Creatures class is taking a field trip to see the centaurs. I will look into the matter myself."

Albus saw Fred look over at James, and saw James shrug as if to say, "New year, new pranks!"

Kingsley smiled and declared, "That is all. Let's eat!"

The tables were suddenly full of mouth-watering amazing food. Roast beef and chicken, pork and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, roasted potatoes, fries, puddings, carrots, peas swimming in butter, ketchup, and shepherd's pie. Desserts too. So many and varied, Albus wouldn't have been able to imagine such a spread if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes. He was going to be buzzing from all of the sugar in that tasty treacle tart all night, he wagered.

After a half hour filled with mumbled words and gluttony, Albus looked around the Hufflepuff table. He noticed that most housemates didn’t look extraordinary. Most were normal looking wizards, the lone exception being that tall Head Boy. They all looked excited for the coming year.

He observed Scorpius studying his hands as if he was counting the whirling patterns in the flesh, and Rose was contemplating two rather unique-looking girls who were across the table from them. They both had flowing golden blonde hair held back from their faces with ribbons, one pink, the other purple. With smiling, bright blue eyes, they appeared very girlish, but the arms folded on the table in front of them were oddly knotted with muscle.

Albus glanced over to the Gryffindor table.

His brother James was not eating, apparently feeling guilty for all of the teasing about house Sorting, shaken by the unexpected turn of events. Albus caught his eye, smiled and nodded to show he was fine. James gave him a considering look, and then grabbed a dinner roll.

Several students introduced themselves to Albus and Rose. Scorpius was studiously ignored, which seemed fine with him as he avoided all the looks shot at him from the Slytherin table. Rose noticed the stares. "What's their problem?" she asked.

Scorpius had barely touched the food in front of him but was shredding his napkin nervously. "In my world, being a Hufflepuff is the next thing to being a Squib." Some Hufflepuffs nearby overheard that comment and it earned him even more glares. It was plain to Albus that Scorpius meant no malice when he stated what was to him a simple fact. Rose understood too, since she let the comment go uncharacteristically without challenge.

"We'll all be great wizards, Scorpius, mark my word," Albus said, with more confidence then he really felt. "We're going change things around here."

Scorpius laughed shortly. "In case you haven't been paying attention, we already have!"

The feast was over and Albus, Rose and Scorpius heading out, following the Head Boy, "Come along, I can’t wait to show you your new home!" he called.

Albus almost got separated a couple of times because of looking at the sights. He saw a Nearly Headless Nick floating along, who sublimely tipped his head to the side in greeting. Most of the stonework in this section was less than twenty years old because of the battle that took place on this side of the castle. They turned to the right by the great staircase, down a flight of stone steps to what would be directly beneath the dining area.

They exited to a huge high-ceilinged kitchen. The walls were stone, nearly covered with hanging brass pots and pans with a large brick fireplace at one end. Four huge wooden tables were positioned exactly the same way as the tables above. Elves were hoping around and cleaning dishes, levitating them onto shelves high above with unerring accuracy. In their squeaky voices, they called a greeting to the children, inquiring if they wanted a snack to take down with them.

Scorpius, who had barely eaten at the feast, nodded. Instantly, he was plied with all sorts of food from the eager house elves, until he had to beg off.

Rose grabbed a large loaf out of his hands and handed it back. "Don't take advantage," she said sternly.

Scorpius imitated her bossy manner as soon as her back was turned, causing Albus to stifle a laugh as they followed the Head Boy over to a large still life of a bowl of fruit dominating one wall.

"Now pay attention," he instructed. "This changes from time to time." He reached out and scratched an apple twice, a pear once, and traced a finger across a banana which wiggled as if ticklish.

Students giggled as the portrait swung out. A short flight of stairs led down to a long broad corridor lit by torches. The round walls were of packed earth and it had a stone floor, the tunnel was lined with casks. From Hogwarts: A History, Albus knew it had been a cellar during the earliest days of the castle. The timbers overhead were dark with age.

They came to a round oak wood door, which their leader swung out, held it, smiling warmly as they filed by into the inviting light.

Albus entered the common room and paused. It was, in a word, cosy.

The burrow-like room was two stories tall and the furniture was made from old round casks and upholstered in plush bright yellow and black. Deep couches and chairs were situated around a simple oak mantled fireplace stained a deep brown, almost black, same as the furniture. It was lit and giving a pleasant glow. The dark wood flooring had large, elaborate throw rugs the colours of a bumblebee.

There were no windows this far down, but it had the effect of making the place seem even more comfortable and inviting. Brown earthen walls lit by torches and lined with canary yellow tapestries with crest of a black and yellow field showing the fierce Hufflepuff badger decorated the walls. There were perfectly round barrel top tunnels leading off to either side.

The place resonated with Albus on a deep level he couldn't explain. He just felt like he had arrived where he always had always belonged.

"Welcome to the Hufflepuff common room, or as we like to call it, The Cellar," the Head Boy said with a dramatic sweep of his arm. "Through the middle door on the left are three tunnel branches. You first years take the middle one. It branches off to two tunnels. The girls are on the left, boys on the right. There will be a list at that first branch listing where your assigned bunks will be; your trunks will already be there."

As the students filed wearily by, the Head Boy placed a gentle restraining hand on Albus' shoulder. "I would like to have a chat with you three if you don't mind," he said quietly, as their fellow students closed the tunnel door behind them.

Albus watched as Scorpius found a barrel top end table and laid the food on it. He leaned against the earthen wall and crossed his arms petulantly. Albus and Rose slumped down into a love seat suddenly weary as well.

"I'm Roderick Yates," the young man began. "My mother was a Diggory. You might have heard who my cousin was, maybe the most famous Hufflepuff of the last twenty years."

"Cedric Diggory, co-winner of the Tri-Wizard cup," came the reply not from the love seat, but from Scorpius. "Killed by Peter Pettigrew the night of Voldemort’s return to a physical body."

They all turned and looked at him, but he was studying the dark varnished oak plank flooring chewing his lip.

"That’s right," Roderick replied. "Take a look at this." He pointed to a plaque that was affixed to the mantel over the fireplace in a place of honour. It was cast in well-polished gold, showing a face very much like the young man in front of them with a warm smile and careless curls, apparent even in the stillness of the metal. On it was written:

If the time should ever come when

You have to make a choice

Between what is right, and what is easy?

Remember a boy,

Who was good, and kind, and brave…

Remember Cedric Diggory…Albus Dumbledore

Roderick waited until they gathered around and read it, then he made sure they met his eyes. "You three face a challenge that the other students don't have. Because of your last names, they're going to paint you as some kind of failure, since this is your House. They will accuse you of not being good enough to be somewhere better. Know this, if you are loyal, and true, willing to work hard for what you want to achieve, then you are a true Hufflepuff. There is nothing better than that!"

He paused to gather himself, then said, "My cousin, Cedric, was never ashamed of this house, even though he was the best at Hogwarts in his year. Don’t dishonour him and his legacy by hanging your head, no matter what your families think!"

His words lay heavy on the air and he gave them time to sink in, then he smiled and the charming young man was back.

He engaged them in conversation while Scorpius ate, answering any question that was put to him. In the end, he wished them a good night and left after receiving promises that they would be prompt in going to bed.

"No wonder he's Head Boy!" Rose exclaimed when the door to the boys’ dorm clicked shut.

"Yeah, he's nice," Albus said. It was then that he saw Scorpius pluck a furry little cat off of the ground.

"Kub? How did you get out here?" Scorpius asked as the cat playfully batted his nose.

Albus exchanged a look with Rose. "Careful, Mal-Boy. You keep that up, people might think you’re nice!" he called playfully.

Scorpius curled his lip."Perish the thought!" He fed Kublai a piece of left over ham. "Good night."

He carried his cat out, talking to him in quiet tones as he left the Common Room.

"Did we do the right thing, Al?" Rose asked, looking around at their new home.

Albus said, "It’s already feeling like home to me."

Rose smirked. "I hope dad gets over it."

Albus smiled. "It could be worse," he said, indicating the door that just shut after Scorpius.

"True," Rose replied.

Without another word, they hugged and left for bed.

Albus took the tunnel indicated by the list and wound up in a circular room with an elaborate wrought-iron chandelier, now dark. The floor was lined with five four posters with black and yellow bed-hangings. Albus' familiar trunk was sitting at the foot of a bed.

The walls had enchanted torches in gold sconces recessed into the earthen walls between the paired beds that gave just enough light without disturbing the sleepers. The lack of windows had the effect of making the darkness cave like, but the colours were extremely cheery.

Scorpius sat on the bed closest to Albus'. He was still in his robes, stroking Kublai, in what Albus was beginning to call deep-thought-mode.

Albus had one of those moments of insight that his Dad said were so uncanny, they should have named him Trelawney, not Albus. That statement had earned Dad a smack on the back of the head from Mum, although Albus wasn't sure why, she called it a "bad joke." He wasn’t sure what a Trelawney was, but he didn't think it was good. He just knew, without a doubt, that Scorpius was sitting there thinking about his family's reaction to his new House.

"Not unpacking won’t undo the Sorting, you know," Albus said quietly. The sound didn’t seem to be carrying, so he guessed there were muffling enchantments in place when the torches were out.

Scorpius looked up. His cool blue-grey eyes were blank. "What if I am close to Squib? I’ve never been around other wizards. I just assumed with my heritage, I must be passable." Almost as an after thought, he murmured, "Maybe I was fooling myself."

Albus decided to take a different tact. "Well, Rose and I were Sorted into this house and our parents are the saviours of the Wizarding World," he bragged straight-faced. "You’re hanging with Saint Potter’s kid now. Just hang back and bask in the glow."

"What am I worried about then?" Scorpius said dryly. "All I have to write on my N.E.W.T.'s and O.W.L.’s is that I hang out with Albus Potter, they’ll give me straight O’s for sure!"

"Exactly." Albus'straight face was crumbling. They both started smiling before too long.

Scorpius sat Kublai down on the black and yellow oriental carpet between the beds and the little fur ball crawled under to explore. He reached over and began rummaging through his trunk. Albus followed suit and they worked in silence, until Albus saw the latest copy of Which Broomstick? as Scorpius was laying his schoolbooks out of a side compartment for the next day.

"You already in the market for a broomstick?" Albus asked. "We aren’t even allowed to have those until next year."

Scorpius pulled the magazine out and flipped to a page pulling out the insert. He showed it to Albus who whistled when he saw the illustration. "That’s the new SkyBolt isn’t it?"

Scorpius nodded. "Yeah it’s really expensive, but it’s going to make all previous brooms obsolete within months!"

The wizard photo showed a pearl white, flawlessly finished racing broom rotating on a platform in the sky with perfectly shaped bristles that looked somehow artificial. "It’s made of a new polymer that will actually hold a spell like wood does," Scorpius said enthusiastically. "They are lighter and faster than any broom before and they come in four colours, ghost white, midnight blue and serpent green, and screaming banshee crimson. Wooden brooms will be outmoded in no time."

Albus thought the lines were beautiful, but it was somehow too synthetic.

"Is this the same company that made the Firebolt?"

"No, but it’s based on those same lines."

Albus shook his head. "Actually, the Firebolt is more slender here and the birch twigs are longer and more tapered."

Scorpius gave him a considering look. "You sound as if you've actually seen a Firebolt. They were only in production for one year, then the wizard that held the patent decided he didn’t want the broom to become so common everybody had one. To find one today would be unthinkably expensive!"

Albus nodded. "Unless your dad got one of the first series while he was still at Hogwarts."

Scorpius’ jaw dropped. "You’ve got to be kidding! You’ve actually seen a Firebolt?"

"It’s over the mantle at home. Dad started Apparating everywhere he went because he had too many people following him around. He said it was one of the worst things about becoming famous, that he could no longer fly his broom."

"You’ve got maybe the finest broom ever spelled hanging over the mantle? Like an old dusty family heirloom?" Scorpius seemed outraged at the thought.

Albus hid a laugh. "I thought you said the SkyBolt was going to make it obsolete in a matter of months."

Scorpius sneered at the advertisement. "This is a soulless mass produced product." His tone changed, became almost reverent. "A real Firebolt was individually stamped and hand carved with independently fitted twigs and elaborate gold engraving. You won’t find craftsmanship like that anymore, they're legendary!"

Albus gave his new friend a tolerant stare. "You seem to know more about it than I do." As he placed some socks out for the next day, he said, "Dad flew me on it one time, and I’ve never climbed faster on any other broom, I tell you!"

Scorpius had a faraway look in his eyes, unpacking forgotten. "All of the broom records are held by a Firebolt. The SkyBolt will soon break most of the speed marks, but the climbing diving and manoeuvrability will never be equalled."

Albus chuckled. "I’ll tell you what, you can write a love letter to it, and I’ll see if I can get you two together. I’ll expect a June wedding, Dad will want to give it away."

Scorpius snorted. "Very funny."

The preparations for bed went quickly. After the wall torches dimmed, a voice broke the silence.

"Albus?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

"Your welcome!"

End Notes:
I'm not a lovely author, with a world wide empire, living in a bloody Scottish castle, so don't sue me please.
Chapter 5 Greater Expectations by Sly One
Author's Notes:
First day blues.

The next morning, Albus was up and ready, seated on his bed as the other bunkmates began to stir about.

One seemed to be ecstatic about having an actual ‘Son of Potter’ in Hufflepuff. After all, everyone at the Sorting expected Gryffindor.

"I'm ever so glad to meet you!" Gaspar Boon, the podgy boy Albus saw at the Sorting grabbed and pumped his hand. He spoke rapid-fire fast, almost without breathing. "Call me Gas," he gasped, as if to remind himself of the need for oxygen.

Albus wasn't the sort to want a fan club. He pulled his hand away and looked over at the boy who was leaning against his bedpost. "Hullo," he called out. "What's your name?"

"Rick." He jerked his head toward Scorpius. "You sure you want to be friends with that?"

The boy had a ponytail like Uncle Bill, but that didn't make him a nice person. But Albus didn't overreact, the way Rose would have. "Why wouldn't I be friends with Scorpius?"

Rick looked at him with poorly disguised disgust. "You’re Harry Potter's son," he exclaimed with a snort. "And you don’t know why you shouldn’t be friends with a Malfoy?"

"I know what it's like when people think they know you because of your name."

With an exasperated sigh, Rick pushed away from the bed and sauntered out.

The short, curly, orange-haired boy from the Sorting came over. "Tha' Rick was talking 'bout you last night. I don' think he likes you much. My name's Cormac, by the way," he said, offering his hand.

Albus’ accepted it. "Pleased to meet you, Cormac. I didn’t catch Rick's last name at the Sorting. Do you remember what it was?"

"Richard Cresswell was what they called out," interjected Gas eagerly. "He and the hat argued a bit, before he was placed in Hufflepuff. At least it looked like an argument. Seems to be an angry sort!"

Albus grinned. "Nice pun, that!"

Gas realised what he said and chuckled. The way he beamed at Albus was a bit disquieting, but Albus shrugged it off.

Cormac was watching Scorpius get organised, but it was more curiosity showing on his face than anger or distrust.

Albus turned as Scorpius was gathering his books in his satchel and his pewter cauldron for Potions class. "Ready yet, Scorpius?" he called out.

"Can’t help that you get up at the crack of dawn, Potter. Some of us do like to sleep."

Albus winked where only Scorpius could see. "Well go back to bed then but I’m going to breakfast." He hid a smile as Gas and Cormac stared at them with amazement. They looked astonished that a Malfoy was ragging a Potter-and not being hexed.

When the two friends walked by, Scorpius noted their stares. "Are they mental?" he murmured.

Albus chuckled.

They had just reached the common room when Scorpius murmered, "You know that Rick chap did have a point. My name is not going to earn favours, even for a Potter."

Albus shifted his books and kettle under his arm. "I'm not asking for any."

They made their way out of the Painting, waving to the elves that squeaked out greetings as they went about their way cooking breakfast for the students above.

In the Great Hall, under a clear morning sky, they found Rose at the Hufflepuff table with a crowd of girls around her-probably pumping her for information. Rose wasn't responding. She wasn't a morning person, she scarcely formed sentences for the first half hour, and was rather beastly for the next.

She waved tiredly for them to come over and hissed at a couple of curiosity seekers to make some room. They scattered once they saw how evil she could be. Albus would swear on Dumbledore’s beard he had seen her eyes glow red before, but it could have been the morning light.

They settled in, causing several of the remaining well-wishers to wander off after throwing disapproving glances at Scorpius. It was one more reason to call him friend in Albus’ book.

He heard a screech overhead as several owls swooped in dropping letters and packages.

Rose gave a start when her great screech owl, Celestina dropped a thick letter on her head. The owl was smart enough to not be in Rose’s range this time of the morning and barely paused on its way back to the owlery.

Albus looked for Nox, his black eagle owl, but he didn’t see the wide wingspan in all of the madness of swooping feathers. A mature and dignified tan and white spotted tawny swooped down and dropped a large red letter in front of Scorpius and fled. He looked at it with curiosity.

Rose became fully alert when she saw what it was.

"Oh no!" she squealed, as the letter began to shake and smoke. She fished out her unicorn hair, birch wand.

"Albus, what’s that spell Mum uses to keep us from eavesdropping?"

Before Albus could answer, the letter suddenly opened by itself and roared,

WE CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOU GOT SORTED TO HUFFLEPUFF! WHAT WILL YOUR FATHER THINK WHEN HE GETS BACK FROM ROMANIA? YOUR GRANDFATHER IS TALKING TO THE BOARD RIGHT NOW! YOU ARE NOT TO GET TOO COMFORTABLE, YOUNG MAN!

The letter burst into flames, leaving shards of red paper and smoky vapour all over the table.

Albus turned to a shell-shocked Rose who had gone pale. Even though the moment had passed he couldn't help himself. "For future reference Rose, it's Muffliato. Grandma Molly's are louder, don't you think?"

Scorpius was even paler than Rose, which was saying something. "Was that, what I think that was?" he asked quietly.

Albus shrugged. "That, my dear Scorpius, was a Howler. Your Mum tried, but she's no Weasley. Can you please pass the marmalade?"

Scorpius slid it over. "You've heard worse?"

"Get a letter from Mum Malfoy?" came a low, menacing voice from behind Albus.

He turned to see four colossal Slytherins strolling over. It looked like a pack of Grims had descended.

"Not good, " Albus whispered, spreading the marmalade on his toast.

Albus looked around for a relative. As many as he had at Hogwarts at the moment, it was worth a glance. He saw James talking with Fred and pointing at Scorpius with a smirk. It was obvious that he wouldn't be much help.

His sweeping eyes moved on and found someone at the big double doors that made Albus relax and actually smile. He turned to Scorpius and found his friend staring at the Slytherin ringleader.

A seventh-year by the black goatee fuzz, the Neanderthal loomed over them. "I’m thinking that the mighty Malfoy’s thin blood is finally showing through after all," he stated in a voice shockingly cultured and mild, almost pleasant.

"Who is this?" Rose asked Scorpius.

"Roq MacNast," the older boy interjected.

If he expected a show of respect or fear, he was disappointed. Albus said to Rose, "Roq? And I thought Scorpius sounded bad!"

She snickered and even Scorpius smiled a little. MacNast's hand stowed into his robes. "Think twice before you insult me. I don’t care who your father is, Potter." He pulled out a mahogany wand.

A bored voice called out from the door, "You might want to learn to use that wand before you pull it out and hurt yourself, MacNasty."

The large boy tensed. His cronies suddenly had other things to do as he turned to face the owner of the voice.

Albus lightly elbowed Scorpius. "Watch! This is going to be good!"

Leaning against the doorframe, twirling his wand absently in his fingers, was Theodore Remus Lupin.

Albus' "honorary cousin," Teddy was a tall, handsome boy with tattered robes: not from lack of funds considering the finances available to his godfather, but from disinterest in fashion and desire for personal comfort. Most of the pictures Albus had seen of Teddy's father showed Remus Lupin in a similar state of disrepair.

When Teddy became the best seeker on Gryffindor team in the last decade, and managed to win the Quidditch cup three years in a row, tattered robes became the style at Hogwarts.

A Metamophmagus, like his mother, Teddy changed his hair colour all the time. Albus’ mum called it mood hair. Albus could see from MacNast’s wary gaze that it was known at Hogwarts as well. At the moment, the brown had a slight orange tint, which meant, "I am not angry, yet, but don’t mess with me."

Teddy straightened to his full height. "As I recall, after our last duel, MacNasty, Madam Pomfrey said she had never used that much Essence of Murtlap on one student, nearly her entire stock!"

MacNast flinched. "What are you doing here, Lupin? You graduated a year ago!"

Teddy sauntered over, wand spinning in his fingers with amazing dexterity. "Oh, I have an internship in the Ministry’s Auror office this year, courtesy of the youngest and most successful Head of the Auror office in its history. I believe you know his son. He's the boy you’re currently threatening to hex."

MacNast dropped his wand back in his robes. "I didn't threaten anyone, but if I did, it's none of your concern."

Teddy prowled forward. "Well, he happens to be my favourite god-brother, so it does concern me." He invaded MacNast's personal space, his hair flashing red and his eyes a glowing, wolf yellow. "I want you and your jackals to know, he and his friends are under my protection, at lease until he learns the spells and deals with you himself. Until then, I’m your problem. Are we clear?"

MacNast backed away. "I'll spread the word, Lupin, but I can’t guarantee everyone will follow it."

Teddy’s hair and eyes faded back to their normal brown colour. "Fair enough."

After MacNast left, Teddy reached down and ruffled Albus’ hair making the cowlick worse. "Wotcher, Albie."

"Gerroff, Teddy!" Albus grumbled, trying to slick his hair back down.

"You’re supposed to be keeping him out of trouble, Rose," Teddy said teasingly.

She wiggled her fingers at him weakly in response, her face flushing almost as red as her hair. As usual, when Teddy Lupin was around, the normally talkative Rose seemed to lose all ability to speak.

"Speaking of keeping out of trouble," Teddy growled. His hair suddenly became a bright flaming red.

"You two!" he bellowed, his wand freezing in his hand business end toward Fred and James who where trying to slip out unnoticed. "Over here," Teddy commanded.

They sheepishly obeyed.

His suddenly yellow eyes bored into theirs. "Your younger brother was staring down some seriously nasty fifth and sixth years, and you boys where leaving him to the wolves. Please explain." The words where mild and the tone were conversational, but that made it all the more menacing.

"C'mon, Teddy," James whined. "I’m second year and Fred is fourth. What did you expect us to do? Honestly!"

Teddy crossed his arms in a way that his wand stayed in view. "I expect you to be Gryffindors, even if these three aren’t in your house. Gryffindors will always stand up for those younger and weaker. Especially against Slytherins!"

James and Fred had the decency to be embarrassed. Their faces flushed and they stared at the floor.

"If I hear from anyone at this school-and you know I still have friends here-that you lot left Albus out to dry one more time, I will go straight to the top," Teddy informed in a dire tone.

James and Fred looked alarmed. "Dad?" James ventured timidly.

"Worse," said Teddy, his voice dropping to a lower register. "Grandma Weasley."

The utter terror that gripped their features when they heard that name, seemed to satisfy Teddy, he nodded for them to go.

"Sorry, Teddy. Sorry, Albus," James and Fred mumbled before they slunk out of the hall.

Teddy glowered, but as soon as they disappeared his hair returned to normal and he picked up a slice of toast off Albus' plate. "So Hufflepuff, eh?" he mumbled through a mouthful of toast. "My mum was a Hufflepuff, and I had a lot of friends down there. Have you met Roderick yet?"

"Sure, Teddy. Help yourself," Albus murmured under his breath. The older boy could eat twice his body weight at one sitting. Speaking louder, Albus told him, "Yeah, first night, he’s a good guy, at least so far."

Teddy absentmindedly wiped crumbs off his mouth with his sleeve, a gesture Albus' dad once called a small rebellion against the extreme tidiness of Andromeda Tonks. "Wait until you see him guard the rings," he exclaimed. "He’s the best Keeper I think I’ve ever seen and you know we’ve seen the best!"

Scorpius had remained silent up to that point. He ventured, "The best? What do you mean?"

Teddy studied him for a moment. "Well, Albus’ mother Ginny was Chaser for the Harpies for several years, and we know Oliver Wood so we got great seats to all the United games, plus Professor Krum-considered by some the best Seeker ever-is a family friend." Teddy took another bite. "So you keep up with Quidditch, Malfoy?"

Scorpius appeared surprised to be asked like a regular person. People spat out his name like it was an insult. Somebody using a mild tone and asking out of curiosity instead of ulterior motive took him aback. He sputtered, "I love Quidditch, I follow all the teams. Father and I go see Puddlemere, Harpies and the Arrows, and we’ve even caught the Chudley Cannons a time or two. He’s got box seats in several stadiums."

Teddy winked at his ‘cousins’. "I like this guy! I don’t know what your dad was going on about, Rose."

Rose gargled in reply.

Teddy heard some giggling and looked over to see some very shapely sixth and seventh year girls pointing him out. He started to wave but then he changed the gesture to a comb through his unruly hair that had suddenly gone bright green. The girls looked over their shoulders and scattered when they saw Victoire Weasley glowering with her arms crossed.

Teddy raised a hand in greeting and started across the Great Hall. He abruptly turned back. "I almost forgot. Here’s a letter from your Dad, Albus." He thrust the envelope onto the table. "If you'll excuse me, I need to avert certain death with sweet talk."

Albus and Scorpius waved goodbye. Rose just whimpered, having forgotten the act of speech for the time being.

Albus opened his letter and read:

 

Dear Albus,

Your mother and I were surprised at the news Neville brought us, to say the least. We really expected you to be in Gryffindor. That being said, I want you to know that I couldn't be more proud of you and Rose. You tell her that her dad is my oldest friend and I have never known him to take surprises very well but I have also never known him to stay upset long. He will come around, just hang in there, your mum is already at work on your behalf.

Study hard, listen to the professors, and do your best. Earn points for your house even if that means you beat Gryffindor. Give your greatest effort. The only way I will ever be disappointed is if you don’t try.

I have also heard of your friendship with Scorpius Malfoy. I trust your judgment and from what I have seen he will need some friends when people hear his last name, it’s not as respected as it once was. Be careful though, and mindful that he was brought up to believe that purebloods are better, and his father wasn’t always the nicest.

Anyway, I will be sending Teddy around to keep an eye on you for me, if he can keep his eyes off of Victoire long enough, that is! I stay in touch with the professors, so know I am never too far away.

I love you son,

Your dad

His dad always signed letters anonymously because of interceptions by people looking for inside information on the Potters. Albus didn't mind. He handed the letter to Rose so she could read that bit about her dad; she had recovered from Lupin-lock a little bit by that point.

Her thick letter had a package of snacks, extra parchment, her quill set and a couple of books she forgot plus a letter about Uncle Harry’s letter in case she didn’t see it. Her mum was maddeningly thorough and the resident expert on Undetectable Extension Charms.

Scorpius looked on in amazement while she laid things out on the table and then stored away in her satchel.

"Aunt Hermione sent it," Albus explained. "There’s liable to be anything in that package."

While they were gathering their things, they witnessed an entirely different way to stave off bullies.

Albus saw Gas and Cormac enter the Hall and was about to wave when a Gryffindor in a sizable group of friends called out, "Hey look, a typical Hufflepuff sorting! One little shrimp and a fat boy!"

Cormac handed Gas his cauldron and started for the Gryffindor in a dead run. The bully's face showed shock, and he was just reaching for his wand when Cormac lowered his head and shoulders, spearing him in the lower abdomen.

Albus recognised it as a rugby tackle from a match he had watched on the telly at Uncle Ron's and Aunt Hermoine's house.

Cormac backed away from the now curled up older student, glaring defiantly at the others in the group whose hands had reached for their wands. They all froze when they saw Gaspar staring them down just behind him, with his wand extended expertly in one chubby hand, the cauldrons he had been holding draped over his other arm.

"My mum works at the Ministry in Underage Magic. She showed me a good Jinx for self defence," Gas declared loudly. "I never got the hang of it. I need practice."

The older Gryffindors backed down and helped their gasping friend up, leaving the Hall with menacing glances back. The students still at breakfast cheered as Gas handed Cormac back his cauldron.

"Na bad fer a shrimp and a fat boy, eh!" Cormac announced as they made their way through the well-wishers to the Hufflepuff table.

 

After breakfast, Albus, Rose, and Scorpius checked the schedules left with their trunks and made their way down into the dungeons. It wasn't long before they found the Potions classroom Hufflepuff, according to the schedule, was sharing with Ravenclaw. With no windows, it wasn't as dark and dank as Albus' anticipated, however it was creepy with dead specimens and potion ingredients contained in bright lit jars stored in shelved alcoves in the walls.

Albus was considering where to sit when Liam Donovan slinked by and took a seat in the back. His decision made for him, Albus took a table on the front row. Scorpius gave him a dubious look then joined him. Rose slouched in, placing her things on the other side of her cousin.

Professor Flint swept in promptly at the proper time, setting his satchel down on his desk. His cold eyes swept the class, pausing on occasion. The silence stretched out.

"I am sure that you all have pre-conceived notions about what Potions are or are not," he stated after a minute. "But I assure you, the possibilities you will learn in this class will cause you to re-evaluate your assumptions."

"Can anyone tell me why potions is the most stable and predictable form of magic?" he inquired as his intense eyes swept the room.

Albus looked around and out of the whole class he only saw two raising their hands: Scorpius and Rose. The two French Ravenclaws where checking their hair, Gas was trying to be invisible while Cormac just fiddled with his potion ingredient phials. Olivia was whispering behind her hand to a little round girl, also in Hufflepuff, in front of another two Hufflepuff girls who where quite the contrast, a confident attractive blonde and a little mousy girl who wouldn't even meet the professor's eyes.

"Albus Potter?"

Albus froze. Called out in class already-the Potter curse!

He turned around to the front to see Professor Flint regarding him with interest. Rose was practically coming out of her seat in her eagerness to answer the question, Scorpius' hand was raised lazily but confidently as if to say I know the answer but don't care of you call me on it. But the professor's dark eyes didn't even acknowledge them having locked on to the target.

"Y-yes?" Albus managed to stammer.

"The answer to my question, if you will." There didn't seem to be rancour in his tone, more of a measuring interest.

Albus' mind started to flutter in panic, but he considered the question logically. "Potions are basically like cooking," he began.

Professor Flint nodded for him to continue.

"If you add the right ingredients in the right order," Albus explained timidly, "you get the same result every time?"

The answer wasn't very confident, and there was silence after.

"Why didn't you raise your hand Mr. Potter?" he asked quietly in the silence of the dungeon the echo made it seem menacing.

"I wasn't sure I knew the answer," Albus said , his voice almost squeaking.

Professor Flint leaned close. His eyes were so dark they almost looked black. They bored into Albus. "You will not coast in this class, Mr. Potter," he stated softly. "Parents and families mean nothing to me. Participating to the best of your ability is the only behaviour I will accept. Am I understood?"

"Yes."

Flint smiled fractionally, and it disappeared as quick as it appeared. "Class, please write down the answer that Mr. Potter just gave. Howbeit simple, it was a very solid one. Also note what I just said to him about class participation, apply accordingly."

Flint then turned to the blackboard and began with quick, precise movements to write down instructions directing a piece of chalk with his wand.

Albus let out a breath he wasn't aware he was holding.

Scorpius leaned over. "I'm thinking that maybe I got the better end of the deal, considering," he whispered with a chuckle in his voice.

Albus glowered at him.

Rose leaned in. "What a grump!"

Albus couldn't agree. He realized that he really had been coasting. He had been looking around the room rather than considering that he might know the answer. The warning was a good one.

"Class, you have on the board the instructions for a simple Calming Draught. No doubt this being your first week some of you will probably need one. Pair up into teams of three, and place a small phial of your results on my desk in forty-five minutes. You have five minutes to find your partners and then the time for the assignment will begin."

Albus, Rose and Scorpius immediately began the assignment. They grinned at each other as they used Rose's pewter cauldron.

Rose read the instructions as Scorpius added the ingredients and Albus stirred. The potion was supposed to, at the midway point, turn a grass green, but it stayed a dull yellow. Rose, her hair deflating somewhat from the fumes, was getting distraught.

"Are you sure you added those ingredients right?" she snapped at Scorpius.

"Are you sure you read those instructions right?" he retorted scathingly.

They glared at each other over Albus' head.

Albus felt the heat as they began to argue in earnest. He checked the board, and remembered the order that Scorpius had added the ingredients, lemongrass, lavender, kelpie hoof shaving, and chamomile. He saw that Rose had read one of the portions wrong because of the way Professor Flint drew his fives, and that Scorpius had accidentally added a little too much kelpie hoof.

As they continued to bicker, Albus pulled out Introducing the Wonderful World of Potions and checked the table near the back as indicated by the table of contents. There were counter ingredients listed, and he traced a finger to kelpie hoof shaving. The counter turned out to be Doxy dropping. He checked his own potion supplies and found the label he needed.

Scorpius was still bickering with Rose when Albus laid a small piece of Doxie dropping on the desk in front of him.

"Here, add that," Albus requested.

Still glowering at Rose, Scorpius dropped it in.

Within a quarter of a stir, the potion turned grass green. Albus continued stirring. "Next?" he asked Rose.

She glanced at the board and called out the next ingredient, her cheeks flushed.

Scorpius kept his head down and his eyes averted as they finished the final group of ingredients.

Albus tried to keep the smug look off his face but he couldn't quite. He was rewarded by a good-natured smack on his shoulder by Rose.

"Ow!" he complained, rubbing his shoulder.

They traded grins.

Out of the whole class, only one phial was the proper bright acid green. Several where brought up varying shades with one from the French girls, and a boy with dark hair and deeply tanned skin, was so hard in the phial that it clunked on the desk.

Professor Flint raised an eyebrow at Albus' successful potion and told him to feel free to keep the rest for personal use. Theirs was the only team allowed the privilege.

The groups that finished where the lucky ones, Gas and Cormac and Azure of the Ravenclaws managed to send up a cloud that made them all woozy, the small explosion melting the cauldron onto the table in a bubbling hiss.

Professor Flint reached in his desk and pulled out a beaker of bright purple fluid and poured out three portions into three small glasses levitated them back to that table with a practiced ease. "Drink that, and clean up that mess," he ordered, before addressing the class.

"The difference between this particular Calming Draught and a powerful stun bomb is three grams of Kelpie hoof. This is a good illustration of how vital it is to follow the directions and to be precise with your amounts," he explained. "I expect a six inch essay on my desk before next class on that subject-oh, and by the way, five points to Hufflepuff for a successful brewing for Misters Potter and Malfoy, and Miss Weasley. I give five more points for Albus Potter, for not losing his head when the brewing went awry. Everyone is dismissed as soon as his or her workstation is clean." He pointedly began packing his satchel.

Rose and Scorpius stared at Albus, apparently realizing how close they came to being the unfortunate students in the back currently wiping up potion and trying to pry the melted cauldron loose.

"I think you might be good at Potions, Albus," Rose murmered admiringly.

Albus shook his head. "Dad wasn't."

"He wasn't, but you are," she insisted stubbornly.

Albus stared at the potion as they apportioned the rest out into three smaller phials. It had all seemed so simple and easy to him, but judging by the dubious contents of the other phials on the desk, maybe it wasn't.

As they filed out with the other students Professor Flint looked up. "A word, Mr. Potter."

Rose and Scorpius gave him worried looks as they filed out. Gas and Cormac left with a glowering Azure following with her melted cauldron, still smoking. She was making loud declarations about how she should have known better than to team with boys.

As the noise faded, Albus stood across the desk nervously trying not to swing his cauldron. Professor Flint was studying him with an intensity that didn't help him much in the nerves department. He thought about taking a swig of his portion of the calming draught after a few moments of scrutiny.

"Would you like to know why I seem to have higher expectations of you, Mr. Potter?" the professor inquired mildly.

"Yes, sir."

"Do you know anything about genetics, Mr. Potter?"

"No, sir."

"Well, we Slytherins place a lot of importance on genealogy, and you have an amazing family history."

Albus felt a flush of anger. This was about his father again, it always seemed to come down to his father. "Well, sir, I'm not my father!" he declared.

An icy spike of fear pierced him as he realised he was just cheeky with a professor on his first day. Those ten points to Hufflepuff might have just been cancelled out!

Professor Flint appraised him coldly. "You are correct, you are not your father," he stated finally. "You have gifts he doesn't have, just like he has some gifts you don't."

He picked up his satchel and gave Albus one last considering look. "Next time you see your father, ask him about Lily Evans, and her ability with potions, and what that has to do with your ability. You'll see what happened today in a new light. You are dismissed."

Albus turned and left the dungeon quickly, his head a mass of questions. He almost ran full speed into Rose and Scorpius backing away, obviously eavesdropping. He walked on by them in a huff; they caught up with him halfway up the stairs.

"Wait up, Albus," Scorpius called.

Albus slowed just enough to blurt out, "I don't want to talk about it!"

Scorpius smirked. "That’s all well and good, but we've got flying lessons with Professor Krum out on the grounds in a few minutes, and you are headed the wrong way."

Albus felt embarrassed. Rose was laughing at him behind her hand.

Scorpius was trying not to smile but failing. "Honestly, Albus, if I had known how genetically superior you are, I would have let you do more than stir!"

Rose broke out in a fit of giggles that became peals of laughter when Albus tickled her, saying, "I'll give you something to laugh about!"

Once they headed out to the flying lessons, Albus forgot about his encounter with Professor Flint. His dread of this class had haunted him all the past year.

He was scared of heights.

End Notes:
I am me, and me isn't JK Rowling. This universe is all her's and not mine. Otherwise I would have the money to be doing something else.
Chapter 6 Something Happened on the Way to Normal by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Ready or Not. Here Destiny Comes.

The day was incredibly bright with few clouds overhead as they strolled through the Front Gate, between the winged boars and out to the field opposite the lake, just beyond Dumbledore's tomb. Perfect day for flying, Albus said to himself gloomily. He was sure he was about to be revealed to the entire class for what he really was: a coward. The familiar shame welled up inside him.

His dad was the youngest Hogwarts Seeker in over a half-century, and his mum was a famous professional Chaser, and he was terrified of flying.

It was just a jumble of swirling images when he dared think of the day when he first flew. He remembered the feel of his death grip on the broom, the wind in his hair and the moment when it all went wrong. James never admitted to it, even though their parents grounded for nearly a year afterwards, but someone put a sticking charm on the broom, then hexed it to fly wild. Fred and James both where laughing hard at Albus' panic. But they were soon running behind him, terrified, as he zoomed straight into the orchard at high speed, and was dragged through several trees. It was one of the worst days in Albus' life. He was in St. Mungo’s for the better part of a month drinking Skele-Grow through a straw. James and Fred both waited on him hand-and-foot, showing that even though they never admitted to it, they did feel guilty about something. Since that day, no matter what his dad or mum tried, he got a panic attack anytime he rode a broom alone.

And now, that was precisely what he was going to be asked to do. Terror gripped his heart.

Rose knew, and she leaned over and whispered, "You'll be fine."

 

He nodded and gave her a brave smile, but he knew he was going pale as a Hogwarts ghost. He glanced over at Scorpius, and for the first time since he had met the boy, he saw him smiling. It wasn't a sarcastic quirk of the lips, but genuine enjoyment. His hands seemed to be clenching a phantom broom and his gait had become confident and coiled like a spring. Albus didn't need to see him on a broom to know he was looking at a born flyer.

Of course, he was wondering how their friendship was going to be affected when Scorpius realized he wasn't.

He saw from the badges of the other group that they where sharing this class with the Gryffindors. He couldn't help but compare the two houses as they mingled. There where two blond, muscular Gryffindor boys chatting easily. And that hulking boy, Michael Nedved, was over to the side in conversation with Gaspar and Cormac, or at least Gas was in conversation with him! A little wide eyed, white-blond girl with freckles was giggling with a smiling brunette, whose laughter echoed across the field, drawing glances. Thor, the tall, thin boy, with the ponytail, was quietly conversing with the only other person with a ponytail, who happened to be Rick Cresswell from the Hufflepuffs. As soon as everyone realised that Albus, Rose and Scorpius had arrived, all eyes and gossip shifted to them.

Albus knew in his mind that his Sorting was unexpected, but seeing the focus he and his two friends were drawing drove the reality home. This other group of boys and girls standing around waiting for class to begin were, at one time, going to be his housemates, not the ragtag mixed bag of Hufflepuff. All of the Gryffindors looked confident and seemed to share a common thread, with the exception of poor Thor, that is. Albus had a stray thought that maybe he and Thor got switched, but when he saw the brooms on the ground that thought retreated, he definitely did not feel like a Gryffindor!

He made an abrupt turn to head back to Hogwarts, but Rose, expecting the move, looped her arm through his and spun him back.

Scorpius cocked an eyebrow at them, getting used to the long established interplay between the cousins. "What are you two doing?"

Rose smiled sweetly. "Albus thought he forgot something, but I brought it with me." She handed her cousin one of the Calming Draught phials.

Albus looked at it dubiously. "Are you sure it won't poison me?"

Rose glared at him. "Professor Flint confirmed it was alright to use!"

Scorpius interjected, "Yeah, but Professor Flint is a certifiable nutter."

She shot him an evil glare. "You're not helping!" she hissed.

Albus, not wanting to referee another Scorpius/Rose fight, popped the cork out and downed the bright green liquid without further protest. It tasted like lime liquorice wands. As soon as it landed in his stomach, reassurance seem to circulate though his body. He felt, in a word, calm. He handed the phial back to Rose with a cocky smile that would have made James proud, and they strolled the rest of the way into the clearing as though they owned it and the other milling students were guests.

Professor Krum was standing by a big box watching them as they arrived. He gave Albus a meaningful nod. As a family friend, he knew of Albus' uncharacteristic fear. But he obviously wasn't going to make a big deal of it. It was fine with Albus; as a matter of fact everything was fine with Albus!

"Class! Gather avound please," Krum barked, startling the sun baked, lazy students into action. They all crowded around expectantly.

"Since the Muggleborn Assimilation Act took affect, I have chosen to use this first class to teach those not born in the vizard vorld the game of Quidditch," he said with characteristic brusqueness. He opened the box and inside was a Quidditch set, one Quaffle, two struggling Bludgers, and a little Golden Snitch buckled in.

As Professor Krum began to teach the positions, Albus, long well acquainted with the sport in question, serenely studied the field they were in. It was as far from the Forbidden Forest as it was the Front Gate, and off down a steep embankment some safe distance away was the old Whomping Willow. Nasty as ever, he saw the tree swat a little bird as it flew too close. In his artificial calm, he smiled as the feathers floated to the ground.

Albus' attention snapped back as a Quaffle hit him in the chest.

"Pay attention, Mr. Potter," Krum grumbled.

Albus rubbed the sore spot on his chest then he tossed the Quaffle from one hand to the other a little, he had never realized how long his fingers were until he saw how he could actually palm it.

In his mind, he recalled the event he and Rose called The Great Snowball Incident which occurred at the Burrow the previous Christmas.

Fred, James, and Teddy had ambushed Rose, Albus and Dominique as they made their way back from visiting Aunt Luna. The ambush had taken place as they passed through the orchard. Caught unaware, they were pelted mercilessly. Then Rose, red-faced and furious, yanked her wand, which she got early, out of her robes and cast a Protego charm, taking advantage of the fact that they where under parental supervision for a couple more months, something she couldn't do Hogwarts age. As the snowballs pelted off of her shield, Albus staged a counter attack, flinging snowballs at Fred and James and Teddy with pinpoint accuracy and with a velocity that surprised even him. The older boys, decrying the sneaky tactics, retreated. Rose, Dom, and Albus had celebrated like they won the Quidditch Cup.

Albus' musings ended abruptly when his eyes settled on the chest that held the Qudditch supplies. The Bludgers where struggling so hard that they where rattling the case.

"Not good," Albus murmured to himself.

Krum seemed confident that they where harmless, so much so, he wasn't even paying attention as he handed beater bats to the two athletic looking Gryffindors. "The spells on these Bludgers have vorn off a bit so they vill not be capable of much. Don't vorry."

"Professor," Albus blurted. "I don't think those Bludgers are safe!"

Krum gave a tolerant stare. "I used them just last class. You vorry too much."

With that, he disengaged the buckle holding them in place with one foot. They shot out and up so fast they nearly knocked him off his feat. His face crinkled in confusion before he realized, not only were those Bludgers not worn out, they where dangerous.

"Vun for the gate!" he yelled. "I'll distract them." He grabbed his broom, mounted and kicked off in one smooth motion.

The class turned to head back to the gate, only to see that it was closed. That was when the panic set in.

Professor Krum was too busy to call out any instructions and Albus knew if they bolted down toward the Whomping Willow, the Bludgers would be the least of their problems, and if they went too far into the Forbidden Forest, they might lose students there. They were standing in no man's land. On the other side was the lake, the great squid waving lazily beside the big ship that doubled as Professor Krum’s home. That, however, was twice as far away, and those Bludgers would have a lot of time to do damage. The large glass arboretum, was closer, but didn't have an outside entrance on this side . He glanced up at the professor, Krum was good, maybe the best ever, but those Bludgers were taking after him with a vengeance! He swooped and turned and rolled but he was taking some vicious hits.

Albus had a moment of crystalline clarity. He couldn't just stand there and watch; he had to do something.

Rose was nearby, nearly pulling her hair out, staring up at the faltering professor, streaks on her face where she had begun to cry.

"Rose!" Albus barked. When she looked at him he asked, "How strong is your Protego Charm?

She looked confused for a moment, but then her clever mind caught up. "I'm not sure. Not enough for the whole group." she said wiping her eyes, reaching for her wand.

"Gas!" Albus yelled, the round boy, who was nearby, jerked and stared at him. "Were you bluffing about that jinx?"

Gas looked startled. "J-j-inx?"

Albus was surprised to hear his voice calm considering how hard his heart was beating. "Stay with me Gas, this morning, were you bluffing?"

Gas shook his head. "It's a Jellylegs jinx, no good for Bludgers."

Albus waved him and Cormac, who had been watching the exchange, closer. "Rose, teach Gas that Protego charm. I saw how he held that wand, he can learn it. Cormac, you're fast, you gotta run, and go get help."

Albus was surprised to see them all nod and immediately follow his instructions. Cormac paused before running off, he clasped a hand on Albus' shoulder.

"Luck be with ya," he said with a strange solemnity, then he was gone. Albus was right about how fast he was. The little boy was covering ground!

"Scorpius," he called out.

Scorpius, who was focused on the drama above them, didn't hear him until Albus yelled again. "Krum needs help," Albus said. "Can you out-fly a Bludger?"

A look of determination crossed Scorpius's face. He rushed past the paralysed and panicking students and grabbed a school broom. He kicked off from the ground and rose like a rocket into the air. His body curled over the broom like it was a part of him. Albus watched him soar, wishing for a moment that he could fly like that.

Scorpius arrived just in time. Krum took a shot to the back of the head that almost knocked him off his broom.

The woozy, disoriented, professor banked his broom away as one of the Bludgers attached itself to the tail of Scorpius' broom. The other Bludger lost interest in the professor and swooped down at the students. Rose had them organized around her and Gas. The Bludger began smacking off their shields.

Gas wasn't as confident with his, but it was holding so far, although his face had gone red with the effort. Being first years the shields wouldn't last too long, but maybe long enough for help. Scorpius, despite the slow school broom, was doing surprisingly well, pulling off some maneuvers that Albus hadn't seen before. Under Rose's protection, Albus' eyes found Professor Krum, to his alarm, he realized the near unconscious man was going to be in the Whomping Willow within the next few moments.

Albus sprinted out from under the shield running toward the Willow, not sure what he was going to do when he got there. He had the Quaffle gripped in his left hand as he ran. How am I going to disable the Willow with just a Quaffle? He suddenly remembered his father's stories about that old tree. There was supposed to be a knot on the trunk near a place that used to be a door, before it got filled in. The Quaffle in his hand was a lot bigger than a snowball. That knot was a lot smaller than James, Teddy, or Fred. He glanced up to see that the meandering semi-conscious professor was swinging ever wider, and soon to be in range of the Willows upper branches shortly. They seem to be quivering with excitement.

Albus reached the outer limit of the trees reach. A limb slapped down in front of him to let him know this. He circled desperately out of range studying the base. Finally he saw a large knot beside an old mossy pile of dirt piled against the trunk. Not even pausing to think, he reared back and slung the Quaffle. A few limbs tried to hit the red ball as it passed through but it was moving too fast, nailing the knot dead centre. The tree stopped dead just as Krum's broom got entangled in the upper limbs. He heard some shouts and turned. The Bludger, that had been attacking the students, was headed for him. Not seeing any other way, Albus pulled his last resort out of his robes. His wand.

That creepy, too knowing voice came unbidden to his mind:

"Made of Rowan, eleven inches, medium springy. It's one of wands I acquired from Gregorovitch's widow. I've never found the young wizard to whom it belonged, though."

The man, speaking those words, was the old man, Ollivander, himself. His nieces and nephew ran the shop, but when he heard that Harry Potter's youngest son was in the store, and had gone through every wand in stock, he came hobbling out. His bright silver moon eyes studied Albus with a calculation to make your skin crawl. In his claw-like hand, he carried a well worn slender box, from which he pulled out a long and tapered, intracately carved, dark wood wand. Albus’ first thought had been that it was beautiful. Albus's hand warmed as soon as he came into contact, and his shoulder that was sore from swishing and flicking countless wands suddenly felt fine. He flicked it and so many sparks came out it set a workbench on fire.

Ollivander had his wand already out and performed an Aguamenti spell to put it out. Albus stared, stunned, at wand in his hand, in the carving: he picked out a monster. It had a lion's head, dragon's body, and a snake for a tail and breathing fire.

"That wand, young man," Ollivander wheezed, "is the only Chimera scale wand I have ever laid eyes on, very powerful."

He looked over Albus, to his father and said with an eerie finality, "I think we can expect great things from this son, Mr. Potter."

The wand in Albus' hand was singing with power up his arm; he was told it was his imagination, but it always frightened him. The only offensive spell he could remember was one that he had heard Kreacher use trimming the hedges out front.

He raised the wand and sighted down it, before he could change his mind, and bellowed, "Reducto!"

A jet of bright orange light burst from the wand nailing the rogue Bludger, reducing it to dust. The explosion sounded like a cannon shot.

He heard gasps and turned to see that the students had followed the Bludger down. The sound was still echoeing through the clearing when another flash of light shot out and hit the remaining Bludger. It stopped chasing the now exhausted Scorpius, and dropped to the field below. The next thing Albus knew, Professor Krum was being levitated expertly down to the ground. Following the stream of light, he saw Professor Pharrel standing wand in hand with a sweaty Cormac.

The balding man was waving them frantically away from the Willow with his other hand. "Come on, away from there, that knot doesn’t paralyse that blasted tree for long!"

They all walked toward him, numb now that the sense of urgency was gone.

Scorpius grabbed Krum’s now rider-less broom out of the branches, that were just now beginning to stir about, and brought it down to the ground with him. He landed to cheers and sudden acclaim.

Suddenly, Albus' nerves, strangely absent, caught up. He hit all fours and lost his breakfast on the ground. He rolled away, onto his side and started trembling, and crying.

The magnitude of what had just happened, and what he had just done was passing through his mind.

Concerned students where hovering around him. Rose shoved her way through. She had seen his panic attacks before.

"Back up! Give him some space!" she growled. Her hand rested cool on his forehead, "It's going to be alright Al," she said softly.

Albus took one glance at the eyes of his fellow classmates, and saw the same reverent look he had seen in the eyes of those looking at his father. No it won't, he concluded to himself as he curled on his side trying to remember how to breathe, Not for a Potter.

End Notes:
It's all JK's. She gets the all the dough. Hopefully I am now sue proof.
Chapter 7 Apologies and Mythologies by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Albus has a chat with his dad.

Sometime during all of the bustling and rush to get him to the hospital wing, the cries and demands for information from his relatives, answered by the loud "Back off!" from Rose, and the many hurried ministrations by the grandmotherly nurse Madam Pomfrey, Albus fell asleep.

He awoke in pajamas, sometime later, to a familiar hand brushing his hair away from his forehead.

"Dad?" he murmured.

His dad leaned over him with a sad smile. "I didn't mean to wake you up, son. I was just checking for a scar."

Albus was taken aback. After all, the scar his father had on his forehead had a significance that was well documented. Even though there was no scar on his forehead to find, Albus was beginning to feel the mark of his father's legacy just the same.

Albus tried to smile for his dad, but it was more of a grimace. "Sorry you had to come all this way."

His dad looked affronted. "Have I ever not come when you needed me?" he asked with a soft urgency.

Albus shook his head, and tried to sit up. Memories swirled through his head of the times his father was there for him. Times of scrapes and bruises, times when James had gotten carried away, and Albus got hurt. His dad wasn't just a hero to the world, he had always managed to be one to his family as well.

Albus' head swam a bit but he was able to make it up right.

Noticing his son's discomfort with a look of sympathy, his dad asked, "Panic attack?"

Albus nodded. "It hit me all of a sudden. Lost my breakfast in front of everybody. Pretty embarrassing."

"I'm the one who should be embarrassed. Son, I owe you an apology."

Albus turned to his dad shocked. His dad was apologizing to him? What could he possibly be talking about?

"What do you have to apologize for?"

His dad took a deep breath and let it out as a sigh. "For not trusting you."

He continued on before Albus could protest. "You were afraid of flying. It hurt me that you couldn't enjoy something that I deeply love, but I let it go and didn't push. You were afraid of your wand. I never insisted that you use it. I figured you would when you were ready. You were terrified about the Sorting. I told you my secret to put you at ease. I've done all I could to make your way as painless and easy as possible. I tried to shelter you from everything I didn't have anyone to protect me from. All that effort, and what happens?"

He stared expectantly at Albus. Albus wasn't sure what he was getting at, so he shook his head.

His dad sighed. "You became a hero anyway."

Albus couldn't help remembering how he threw up and cried like a little baby in front of the Gryffindors and the Hufflepuffs. Some Hero!

Albus started to protest, but his dad gave him a look that told him he wasn't finished.

"Out of all of my children, you are the one I worried the most about. You were always so afraid of everything. I never insisted that you do anything that frightened you. Suddenly, you're at Hogwarts less than forty-eight hours and you're Sorted into a House I never anticipated, became friends with someone I never imagined, and wind up saving a bunch of Gryffindors with, from what I've been told, amazing ingenuity and courage."

Albus sputtered, "But I threw up! I had one of my attacks. They had to carry me to the Hospital Wing."

His dad's eyes silenced him with a stern intensity. "The fact you vomited, and had a panic attack, does not make what you accomplished less amazing. True heroes have weakness before, and afterward, but never during." He paused a moment. "I underestimated you, son. For that, I am sorry."

Albus wasn't sure how to take that, but he launched himself off of the bed his dad caught him in a hug. He felt the love his dad had for him, but this time he also sensed some weariness that he didn't understand. He hoped that he hadn't somehow caused it. He suddenly needed to know what was making his dad tired.

"So what happened, Dad?" he inquired pulling back. "Is Professor Krum okay?"

Harry nodded. "Ole Krum has taken more than one Bludger to the head over the years, son. St. Mungos wants to keep him for observation. As for the rest of what happened, we're still looking into it."

"Where's Mum?"

"I asked her to go with Krum's wife. I wanted to have a talk with you. She'll be back in a little bit, but she and I won't be staying long." He chuckled when Albus' disappointment showed on his face. "We'll have dinner with you and James. If we do much more than that, and Hogwarts will be in an uproar."

Albus hugged him again. "Thanks for coming, Dad."

"Always," his dad replied.

Over his dad's shoulder he saw a figure approaching, her hands held demurely in front.

"Am I interrupting?"

They both turned to see the feline features of Professor Bast. She crossed the room with an effortless grace, obviously being careful not to trespass on the moment.

"Alright there, Freya?" Albus' dad called.

"Very much indeed," she answered crossing to the bed. "I just wanted to take a look at Albus' wand before Transfiguration Friday. It wouldn't do to have my class blown up like that Bludger."

Albus felt ashamed. "I didn't mean to."

Freya had a warm, comforting smile on her face. "I know. But since I heard that Bludger exploding all the way in my classroom, I thought I should decide the best course of action, beforehand."

Albus had met Freya back when she was an care-free active Auror, with shaggy blond hair and a devious grin. She had more depth and solemnity to her now, a greater presence, as if the burden she had carried so many years somehow had made her more formidable.

Harry stood up. "I need to go tell Madam Pomfrey he's okay to leave. I'll be right back."

Freya shook her former boss’ hand as he passed by, then she walked over to Albus with her hand extended. Albus found his wand in the carefully folded robes on a chair beside him. He hated the tingle he felt as he picked it up, and handed it to the professor.

She took it gently, studying it carefully. "What is the core?" she asked.

"Ollivander told me Chimera scale."

She gave him a strange look. "Are you sure?"

Albus was taken aback. "He made sure we knew. Why?"

Professor Bast studied the carvings, then handed the wand back carefully with the tapered end pointed away. "It's fine, Albus. We just need to find a slightly different way to teach you Transfiguration, that's all."

Albus stowed his wand. "Why?"

She sighed as if trying to find the words. "Well, Transfiguration is a science of subtlety, and your wand is anything but."

It was all becoming too much for Albus, the way that Bludger exploded, and all that power from an eleven year old.

Albus stared at his hands. "I knew it. My wand is a freak. Just like me."

He suddenly realised who he was talking to, and what he had just said. He looked up to apologise and saw her laughing silently, so hard tears were beginning to collect in the fur at her eyes. She swiped them away, licked the back of her hand absently and slicked the fur back down.

He started to offer his apology but she placed one furred hand gently against his lips. "Please don't ruin it by apologising," she gasped with a slight wheeze.

"What did I do?" he asked, alarmed.

"You forgot," she replied with a smile. "You opened up to me about not fitting in, like I wouldn't understand. That is the nicest thing anyone has done for me in more years than I care to remember!"

She sat on the bed beside him and put an arm around his shoulders. Her chest made a gentle rumbling sound, oddly like a purr. "Let me tell you a secret, Albus. Something it took me years to learn." She turned so he could see her face.

"There is no such thing as normal."

Albus was confused. "What do you mean?"

She smiled, and her dainty little fangs flashed. "Everyone in this world is different. There's not one the same, even twins. So how can there possibly be a standard to judge by? Normal could only be one person. That would make him or her...abnormal."

Albus thought for a moment or two. "So what is, normal?"

She smiled and patted him on the back. "Normal is boring Albus, dreadfully dull, really."

She stood to go. "Us Hufflepuffs might not always be the best at everything, but we are never dull."

Albus stared at her. "You're a Hufflepuff?"

Somehow it all fit to Albus. Freya had worked so hard for so long to reverse her condition, then when she was forced to give up, she dedicated no less effort to being a good teacher.

Professor Bast looked around to see if anyone was nearby, then, reached into her robes and turned the lapel inside out to show a small gold badger pin. "We're not supposed to play favourites, but I keep this over my heart. I'm a 'Puff for life. I am very proud that you are one too. See you in class Friday. Don't worry, we'll work things out."

She waved, passing his dad on the way out. They had a short discussion before they parted.

Albus smiled when his dad said reassuringly, "Everything's set. Grab your stuff and let's get something to eat."

End Notes:
I am so not JK! As a matter of fact I am the anti-Rowling! This is her world I just rumage in her closet.
Chapter 8 Mal-feasance by Sly One
Author's Notes:

A situation arises. 

When they arrived at the Great Hall, Albus knew he was in trouble.

There were two distinct groups of people at two different tables eating dinner. A group of his relatives sat at the Gryffindor table, who were talking excitedly with two seats left open beside his brother James. Albus' mum was seated at that table as well. To her immediate right was...Uncle Ron?

Sure enough, the tall, thin man with the Weasley red hair was sitting there stiffly, staring furiously forward with a flush in his cheeks, his ears red. Across the aisle, Albus saw his group of friends from Hufflepuff. Rose sat beside an empty seat. She looked just as flushed and angry as her father. It was a safe bet that Albus had just missed yet another Ron/Rose row.

It was also obvious that Albus had to make a choice. And as usual, James made the situation worse.

"There he is!" he declared loudly. "That's my brother. I told you he should have been in Gryffindor!"

He led the cheers and patted the seat beside him encouragingly. Albus was suddenly furious. After all that teasing, and all of the pranks this last year, now he’s claiming me as a Gryffindor? Albus' dad had his hand on Albus' shoulder. He must have felt the sudden tension, because he instantly diffused it.

Giving Albus a nudge in the direction of the Hufflepuffs, he replied, "James, you know that Houses sit together. Besides, I want to meet Albus' friends."

James looked shocked. Albus was sure he couldn't believe that his father, undoubtedly the most famous Gryffindor in the last three decades, would rather sit with some Hufflepuffs. And now, James looked like a fool in front of everyone in the Great Hall. He looked down at his plate to hide his embarrassment, his cheeks flushed.

Albus breathed a sigh of relief. "Thanks, Dad," he murmured.

He saw his mum look up, exchanging a look with his dad; then she nodded and turned back to her conversation with Molly and Lucy, like nothing had happened. Uncle Ron, however, was staring at Albus and his dad, openly aghast. Rose slid over one more seat, shooting her dad a triumphant look. There was little doubt now about what their fight had been over.

The two tables and practically the entire Hall were whispering and pointing. Long used to ignoring such displays, Albus and his dad took a seat and immediately tucked in. Albus, ravenous from missing lunch, and losing breakfast was working his way through a plate of savory beef stew, while his dad munched a steak and kidney pie.

Out of the conversation at the table, the loudest one was between Gas and Cormac.

Gas, turned around in his seat, was chatting so animatedly about the presence of ‘the Harry Potter’ in the Great Hall that he didn't notice that his hero was seated right behind him.

Cormac kept trying to get a word in edgewise to tell him, but he just couldn't break into the long stream of superlatives. Albus' dad, privy to some of the statements being made about him, exchanged a wry smile and a wink with Albus.

He tapped the little round boy on the shoulder. "Please pass the salt?"

Gas paused just long enough to pass the salt, glancing up at his fellow tablemate as he did so, and turned back to Cormac, who was smiling. Gas froze, spun around, did a double take, and finally made an "Eeep!" sound before his eyes rolled back and he fainted.

Cormac gently caught Gas and with Albus' dad's help brought him to rest face down on his own arms, moving his plate of food.

Cormac gave Albus' dad a bemused look. "I'm thinkin you mus' be Harry Potter?" They shook hands over Gas' inert form.

Albus' dad remarked, "From Rose's description, you must be Cormac, and this has to be Gas."

Albus finally realised what he had been missing since he first set eyes on the Hufflepuff table. He turned to his cousin who was muttering under her breath.

"I'm in Hufflepuff. The nerve of insisting I sit with him at another table. He needs to get a grip. Why my mother ever married him is beyond me."

"Rose," Albus called.

She turned and snapped at him. "What!"

"Where's Mal-Boy?"

Rose looked over her shoulder at the empty chair, seeing it for the first time. "I didn't know he took off. He got answer owl from home just a bit ago, about Professor Pharrel asking him to play Seeker this year."

Albus shook his head to clear it. "Did you say, play Quidditch this year? A first year playing Quidditch? "

Rose gave him an "are you daft?" look.

Albus finally collected himself enough to stammer, "It's just, no first year has been on a Quidditch team since Dad did it.

Rose rolled her eyes. "You didn't think you were the only one to be asked after the way he flew did you? Honestly, you can be so dense sometimes. Kind of like your Uncle Ron."

Albus' jaw dropped. He spun to see his dad looking apologetic. "I was going to tell you, later."

"You told him no, right Dad?" Albus implored almost choking on the words out of sheer terror.

Albus' dad smiled. "I'm not going to be over-protective this time, Al. I've learned my lesson. Tryouts are next Tuesday. I know you can do it. When you do make it, I don't want you to wind James up about it. Okay?"

Albus closed his eyes, and did his breathing exercises. He concentrated on his slow inhales and exhales. The last thing he needed was another panic attack today.

"Are you okay, son?"

Albus peeked at his dad through the corner of his eye. "Getting stressed out won't do me any good?" he said hopefully.

"Not this time. We've got you a flying instructor coming this weekend. He's been guaranteeing for years that he can teach you to fly in one afternoon. Until now, we haven't taken him up on it."

Albus heard the slight hesitation in his dad's voice. "Why not?"

His dad smiled. "We didn't want to scar you for life!" he answered with a chuckle.

"You're not helping, Dad!" Albus exclaimed, his chest beginning to hitch again.

"Sorry," his dad said, handing him a glass of water. "Don't worry, he won't hurt you. He knows if he did, your mother would kill him slow, resurrect him, and kill him slower."

They both laughed, breaking the tension. Albus couldn't believe that his dad was being so supportive, even so far as getting him a private flying instructor. It drove the point home to Albus that his House really didn't matter to his dad after all.

Something was troubling Albus however, he thought about it a few moments before he blurted, "Scorpius, I can understand, but why did Professor Pharrel ask me to try out? He's never seen me fly."

His dad and Rose, and Cormac all gave him incredulous looks. Rose spoke first, as usual, "Albus, you git! You threw a perfect Quaffle strike, over twenty meters, and hit something the size of your dad's fist! Are you seriously surprised that someone wants to try you out at Chaser? I hate Quidditch, but I can at least figure that out!"

"But it was a lucky shot," Albus muttered.

He saw Cormac tense out of the corner of his eye, but when he looked the boy showed no sign that he had been startled, but he was concentrating on his food a little too much.

Albus made a decision. He pushed back from the table. "Dad, I need to find Scorpius."

Rose shot him a look. "Not without me, you don't."

His dad nodded. "I need to go and make peace with your relatives anyway." Before he switched tables, he signed a bit of napkin, and handing it to Cormac for Gas for when he came to.

Albus and Rose headed for the massive double doors. As they passed by James, he saw his brother's eyes narrow. James mouthed the word, "Later." Albus glared right back, and mouthed, "Bring it."

 

The Cellar wasn't far, and they got there in record time. There were some third years playing chess and a fifth year studying by the fire, but no Scorpius. Albus ran back to the dorm room and it was empty as well, except for Scorpius' kitten napping on the bed. He woke long enough to give Albus a tolerant look and settled back in.

Albus had a moment of inspiration. He got down eye level with the cat. "I need your help finding your master, Kub. Would you mind?"

The kitten opened his eyes and regarded him for a minute, stretched, yawned and then batted Albus' nose gently with his paw. Taking that as a yes, he gently picked the little fur ball up, carrying him like he had seen Scorpius do. Albus' didn't like cats, as a general rule, but he felt a warm spot for this one. After all, they had a friend in common.

When he got back to the common room Rose gave him the look he deserved. "How's a cat supposed to help us find Scorpius?"

Albus shrugged, and they went out. As soon as they got up to the Great Staircase, Kub's paw shot out pointing in its direction.

They exchanged an incredulous look. "I guess we go up," Rose concluded.

They made their way up through the castle, getting some looks as they stared at the kitten at every intersection. Making steady progress, they made it all the way to the top within minutes. They went through a door indicated by the cat, up a large set of spiral stairs and came out onto a large open area. "This is the astronomy tower." Rose informed as they looked around and saw a lone figure, leaning against the battlements and staring out at the rolling moonlit hills with his chin in his hand.

At the sound of the intruders, he turned and gave them a cold glare; "I would appreciate it if you two would leave."

Albus was taken aback, and his feelings were hurt at first. Then he remembered Scorpius' main defense when he was uncertain, pushing people away with sneering arrogance.

Rose shrugged. "Have we ever left you alone since we met? What makes you think we're going to start now?"

They looked at each other in the moonlight, deciding to follow his wishes. Albus placed the kitten on the ground; it darted across the distance and shot into Scorpius' surprised arms. "We brought you a friend. If you would like to talk to us, we'll be back in The Cellar." Albus tugged on Rose's sleeve and they turned to go.

"Wait."

When they turned back, Scorpius had scooted down to a seated position, his back against the stone wall. He cuddled the kitten against his chest, trying to hide cheeks suddenly wet with tears.

"Please, just wait."

They walked back slowly and slid down on either side of him, close enough that their shoulders touched. No one said anything, not even Rose. They just sat there in silence, as he cried. Kub leaned up and began licking the salt from his cheeks, causing Scorpius to chuckle. It seemed to help him to gather himself.

"I'm sorry, for losing it like that. Very undignified."

"Yeah," Rose agreed. "We can't have the next Dark Lord sobbing himself silly can we?"

Albus interjected, "It's not very intimidating, mate, honestly."

They slyly looked at Scorpius to see that he was laughing silently. Soon they joined him.

After a few minutes, the silence crept back, but it was warm against the chilly night. Albus broke it. "Can I ask what the letter said?"

Scorpius was silent for a few moments. "It said, no."

"No?" Rose gasped. "What do they mean no? You were absolutely brilliant today!"

Scorpius took the compliment with a wry smile. "My grandfather wants me to be brilliant for Slytherin, as soon as he can get the board to overturn the Sorting. My mother's siding with him. Dad's somewhere in Romania, I never know where, Grandfather sends all the owls. There's nobody else to sign. It's impossible."

Albus thought about that for a few minutes. The situation did sound hopeless. He tried to think of a solution, but all he could think about was, "What would my dad do?" Suddenly he realized, his dad was here at Hogwarts, he could ask.

"Well I'm not going to be the only first year playing Quidditch this year. I happen to know a person who does the impossible all the time. He's my dad. If anyone can find a way, he can."

Rose leaned forward past Scorpius. "They were going to Floo out from the headmaster's office, as soon as dinner was over. We'd better hurry!"

 

They left the tower, rushing down the stairs, accosting a few students to tell them the way. They arrived at the two gargoyles in a shorter amount of time than they would have thought possible. The stone statues were quietly bickering with each other, so much that Albus was halfway past when the one on the left noticed him and asked

"Password?"

The gargoyle on the right suddenly blurted out, "Felix! Look, it's Harry Potter's son. What do you need, young man?"

Albus, not used to being talked to by statuary, managed to say, "We need to talk to my dad before he leaves."

"Well go on up then!" it replied cheerfully.. "Felix, be a dear and get out of their way?"

"Felicis," the other one whined, "they need to have the password. We can't just let anybody go on up!"

"Felix, you can be such a hard head!"

"Helloooo, I'm made of stone!"

The one called Felicis waved Albus over. "The password is Zaire. Honestly."

Albus called out, "Zaire!"

Felix grumbled but moved to the side and the circular stone stairs rose out of the floor, moving up like an escalator.

"Thanks," Albus called as they went past.

"Don't mention it, dear," Felicis said smuggly.

Felix just grumbled, "Oh sure, you look like someone we know, let's just tell you the password so you can go on up and trash the place!"

Albus and Rose had taken the escalator to the Muggle underground tram enough that the moving stairs were not that much of a novelty. Scorpius, however looked dubious, but after a pause, followed their lead.

They reached the landing in front of a large elaborate wooden door and clanked the brass knocker.

"The Headmaster is not in the office at present, go away," came a bored voice from within.

Albus exchanged glances with the other two, and they pushed through the door.

The office within was decorated in tan and gold, with tropical plants growing from pots in the corners. Albus recognized several antique Dark-Art detection devices featured on pedestals, the oddest being a fake magic eye which rotated and focused on the intruders. They passed a large ornate Foe-Glass, and a gold and jewel encrusted Sneakoscope as they made their across a carpet of soft reeds to the large desk. Portraits of former headmasters and mistresses, some sleeping, surrounded it.

"I am assuming you students do know the English language. You were told, he is not here, go away." The rest of the awake headmaster portraits where glowering at the speaker, but he didn't seem to notice.

He had long stringy hair and a pale sallow face, and his black eyes glared at the students in question. The plate underneath the frame read, "Severus Snape."

"Now, now, Severus," came a voice from the centremost portrait. "We mustn't be rude."

Albus' head was spinning as he realized that the other portrait must be Albus Dumbledore. He recognized the half moon spectacles, perched on a crooked nose, and the kind, twinkling blue eyes from the Chocolate Frog card.

Dumbledore stared at the three for a moment. "You must be Albus Potter. That has to be Rose Weasley. And that young man has the look of the Malfoy clan."

They all nodded but couldn't speak. It wasn't often that you get to talk to a legend. They found it a bit overwhelming.

"So, what do you need the headmaster for?" Dumbledore asked politely.

Rose was the first to find her voice. "We're trying to catch Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny before they Floo on out."

Dumbledore beamed. "Well, seeing as they have yet to do so, I imagine you will find you have accomplished your aim. Just wait a few more moments."

His penetrating eyes focused on Albus. "I have heard that you have had quite the day, young man."

Albus' dad told him practically nothing of Severus Snape, but all through his childhood he had been told stories of Dumbledore. He had had a hard time believing that anyone could possibly be that enigmatic, and yet kind. Being in the presence of that very wizard who was the subject of all of those tales, made all of his father's stories not only plausible but understated.

"Y-yes sir." Albus managed to stammer.

Dumbledore studied him over his spectacles for a few moments. "Well, we can hope that the rest of your days as Hogwarts will contain far less excitement."

"It seems that the Potter gene for causing trouble, and then acting the hero, has bred true," came a clipped statement from Snape’s portrait, "I find that I am not surprised. His father was nothing but trouble when he walked these halls."

All Albus' had heard about Snape mostly came from his uncles. Those stories had been about how thoroughly unpleasant the professor had been. Those stories also now had a ring of truth. That sallow man, represented by the portrait, really did have a knack for saying the meanest thing possible.

Albus saw Rose's cheeks flush, and was surprised to see Scorpius showing anger as well. However, as he glanced back at Dumbledore, he saw the old wizard smile. It almost seemed that he had been awaiting such an opportunity.

"Young Master Potter, kindly tell my portrait-mate your middle name."

Albus looked the other painted visage in its black glinting eyes, trying not to smirk, and said, "My full name is Albus Severus Potter."

Watching the portrait try to compose itself through the shock, Albus thought, This is almost worth having the middle name the rest of my life! Well, almost.

 

"Are we sure that it's him?" came his dad's voice from behind them as the office door suddenly opened.

They spun to see Albus' mum and dad led by Professor Shacklebolt, they seemed so engrossed in their conversation that they were halfway across the office before they knew they were not alone.

Shacklebolt froze when he saw the students. "How did you three manage to get into my office?" he asked gravely.

The trio exchanged a terrified look. Being in the headmaster's office without permission was suddenly not their best idea ever.

"One of the gargoyles told us the password," Rose stammered.

Shacklebolt visibly relaxed, and sighed. "I need to get new gargoyles!"

They all went to a sitting area around the fireplace. Albus related the problem to his dad.

Deep in thought, Albus' dad asked Shacklebolt, "How close a relative does it have to be to sign the permission form?"

Shacklebolt thought for a moment. "At least direct lineage. Grandparents or parents, liability issues dictate that much."

He asked Scorpius, "I have heard no mention of your grandmother. As I recall, she was fairly lenient when it came to your dad."

Scorpius looked up from his kitten with surprised look on his face. "We haven't heard from her for some time. After she divorced Grandfather, she declared that she was going to see the world. The last postcard we received was from the South of France."

"Divorced? Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy are divorced?" Albus' dad asked, sounding out the thought. He suddenly brightened up and actually smiled. Albus had a joyous thought, I knew he could do it!

Albus' dad and mum exchanged another look; they seemed to be thinking the same thing. "Will Andy come?" Albus' dad asked.

His mum nodded. "If you asked."

Albus only knew of one Andy, but why were his parents talking about her?

"Shacklebolt, can I use your fireplace for an incoming Floo?"

The Headmaster nodded.

When Albus' dad pulled out a small compact mirror, he saw the strange looks he was getting. "I got the idea from Muggle portable telephones. This will take a moment." He walked away from them, talking into the small mirror. Then he came back. "It will be a few minutes yet."

He turned to Scorpius. "Mr. Malfoy, I've heard some stories that you are a flyer. What's your favorite team?" He and Scorpius were soon discussing Quidditch and flying tips, with Shacklebolt interjecting, Kublai allowing his ears to be scratched like a gentleman. Rose and Albus' mum began talking in quiet tones before too long.

Albus' eyes found Snape's portrait; he was amused to see that the man was staring at his dad with a look of utmost confusion. Dumbledore, however, looked content, and was having a conversation with a portrait of a man holding an ear trumpet.

With a flash of green light, an elderly, severe-looking witch with gray-streaked brown hair and an aristocratic bearing, popped out of the fireplace. She began fussily dusting her dress for ash.

Albus recognized her immediately.

Scorpius, however, turned white as a sheet. "Aunt Bella?" He stammered.

Andromeda Tonks gave him an affronted glare. "I most certainly am not!"

This meeting is starting well, Albus thought.

End Notes:
Not my world, it belongs to Mrs. Rowling. She rules it well. I am just the court jester.
Chapter 9 The End of a Very Long Day! by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Meeting with the Black Sisters, a Goblin, and a half-Leprechuan makes for a very stressful evening!

Andromeda crossed the room, studying Scorpius like a breeder looking for bloodlines. "Yes, you've got Black blood in you," she remarked as she used her wand to clean her hands and dress.

Scorpius looked affronted. He let Kublai down to the office floor to explore, and stammered, "I don't know what you're talking about. Why do you look like pictures of my Aunt Bella?"

She ignored him, turning to Albus and Rose. "Albus Potter, and little Rose, already in the Headmaster's office? For shame!"

Albus prepared to defend himself, until he saw the smile tugging at Andromeda's lips. Rose had no reaction to the teasing, so he glanced over.

She was taking a closer look at the magic eye through the glass. That was his cousin. When she wasn't causing massive destruction with that sharp tongue of hers, she was curious about everything.

"Where's Theodore?" Andromeda demanded as she finished and turned to Albus' mum and dad.

"Oh, he was out on the grounds earlier, helping in an investigation," Albus' dad replied.

"Well, call him," she snapped. "He needs to be here."

Albus wasn't surprised when his dad immediately followed her orders; Andromeda was sweet, most of the time but, but there was nothing but grit underneath.

His dad walked a few feet away and pulled the compact/communicator back out. Andromeda rolled her eyes and gave Albus' mum a hug. The two ladies had raised Teddy Lupin as a collaboration, and it had made them the best of friends despite the age difference.

Scorpius was still openly staring at the newcomer. His usual aloofness had vanished, swept away, it seemed, on a wave of confusion.

Albus' dad cleared his throat meaningfully as he finished with the compact. Albus' mum and Andromeda were looking at some pictures the younger witch had pulled out of her bag, both ignoring his attempts to get their attention. Albus knew Andromeda and his Mum were aware that his dad was done, it was apparently an unspoken agreement between them to make sure the great Harry Potter didn't get too much of a big head. Albus had seen them both, on many occasions, make him wait.

"Oi, Ladies," he called.

Andromeda turned to him, her arms crossed, the aristocratic glare she gave him making him immediately uncomfortable. "You're the one who called me, Harry Potter. Since I'm doing you a favour, you might want to show a little more patience."

Albus' dad held up his hands in an "I surrender" gesture.

It wasn't long before Teddy Lupin knocked and came through the door, sporting bright blue hair. "Sorry I didn't get here sooner, Victoire had me running an errand."

Headmaster Shacklebolt was clearly exasperated. "How did you get the password?"

Teddy shrugged. "The gargoyles were too busy arguing, I just walked right by them."

Shacklebolt rolled his eyes. "I've got to get new gargoyles!"

Teddy looked around the room, winking at Albus as he walked by. Andromeda glowered, studying Teddy as he crossed the room. She looked disapproving, but Albus knew she doted on her grandson every chance she got. Teddy nodded a greeting to Shacklebolt, but Albus knew the Headmaster wasn't the one in the room making him the most nervous.

"Wotcher, Grandmum."

"Wotcher yourself, Theodore. Just look at your robes! And need I remind you, your hair is not blue."

Teddy shrugged as his hair went back to its normal brown.

Even with her disapproving studying of his rumpled robes, she still gave him a warm hug, and smiled wistfully like Albus had seen before. Teddy reached past his grandmum and shook his godfather's hand.

Albus' dad smiled. "Well now, we're all here." He turned to Andromeda. "Do you remember the incantation?"

The condescending look she gave him was answer enough He gave her space with a sheepish grin.

She pulled out her polished, immaculate wand, touched it to her lips for a moment, then with a flourish she called into the emptiness,

"Turjours pur, throughout history. Ye of the Black line I summon, make your way to me! Narcissa Black Malfoy, get your arrogant, pompous and pampered arse here! Now!"

The air seemed heavier for a moment, then it disapated as if something was sent off. She turned to a thunderstruck room, one eyebrow raised. "She'll be here shortly, but she won't be happy about it."

Headmaster Shacklebolt recovered first, he shot Albus' dad a furious look. "Harry, when I let you borrow my office, it wasn't to bring two very powerful witches, who are most likely hostile to one another, back into proximity, there are things in this room that are irreplacable!" he bellowed.

Scorpius was looking from one adult to the other, thoroughly unhinged at this point.

He managed to stammer, "W- what is going on here?"

Andromeda turned to him, but her face was kind, "I think your Grandmother has some explaining to do, Scorpius. Don't worry, she will be here any minute."

Scorpius looked exasperated, "How do you know my name? No one here has used it."

Andromeda and Teddy exchanged a look, but said nothing.

 

The wait wasn't long. In an explosion of air, a tall, disgruntled witch with white-blond hair, popped into their presence, dropping an elaborate silver teapot, which she had evidently used as a Portkey, to the carpeted floor. Her wand was out and her bright blue eyes scoured the room. Her eyes rested on a amused Andromeda Tonks, "Do you have any idea how much that stings!" she roared.

"Hello, Cissy," Andromeda called in a bored tone. "Did you have a nice trip?"

Narcissa Malfoy, was about to launch a curse, when suddenly Scorpius shot across the room and wrapped his arms around her waist, forcing her to pause.

"Grandmother!" he cried, buried in her bodice.

She quickly stowed her wand, vengeance forgotten. She hugged him back and they forgot the room. Albus was amazed at the shape the older witch was in. As she smiled and had Scorpius turn around so she could see how much he'd grown, to his utter embarrassment, Albus noticed some crows feet at the corner of her eyes. Andromeda looked much older when in truth they were quite close in age. Malfoy money must buy some impressive rejuvenation draughts!

The rest of the offices occupants walked away from the reunion to give them some time.

Headmaster Shacklebolt, taking the initiative to change the subject, asked about the incantation that Andromeda had just used.

Andromeda sat down in a chair like it was a throne. "It's passed down through the Black line, only a Black can use it," she explained. "It was originally intended as a call to arms for the Black ancestors, if our lands were ever invaded by non-magical folk."

Shacklebolt thought on that a moment. "So you recite the incantation, and the person summoned has to come? Or what will happen?"

Andromeda smiled; it wasn't a pleasant one. "The sensation is similar to being plunged headfirst into a nest of angry wasps, as I recall. I haven't been summoned for many years."

Albus' dad was sitting on the arm of the chair that Albus' mum occupied. He stated, "They couldn't use that summoning on Sirius or Andromeda, because once they were disowned, the spell on them was broken. I remembered Andromeda mentioning that to me at Christmas one year."

Andromeda looked over at Narcissa and Scorpius; the look was wistful. "My sister honoured the House of Black, so she was never cast out. That is why the summoning worked on her. I am willing to bet I could summon young Scorpius there the same way."

Narcissa was fussing over Scorpius, and his face had gone pink with embarrassment. "Grandmother, don't!" Scorpius grumbled as Narcissa tried to wipe his cheek, beginning to head back towards the rest of the group.

As they approached, Narcisssa's face lost it's warmth and became cold, aloof, and aristocratic. I can see where Scorpius gets that skill, Albus thought. And I know what it means when Scorpius does it. His grandma must be really uncertain at the moment.

"My grandson has informed me why I am here. As much as I love him, I must regretfully decline to sign."

Scorpius' face couldn't hide the fact he was crushed with disappointment.

Andromeda threw up her hands, exasperated. "You can't break free of Lucius, even now that you're divorced? Where is your Black blood now, Cissy?"

Colour leapt to Narcissa's cheeks. "You do not call me that. You lost that right long ago. And who are you to lecture me on what is characteristic of Black blood, Andy?"

Andromeda stood. She was shorter than Narcissa, but no less impressive.

Scorpius looked up at his grandmother. "Why does this lady look like that portrait of Great Aunt Bella?"

Andromeda's words where slow and clipped. "You told him of Bellatrix, and never told him of me? What kind of person do you want him to be when he grows up?"

Narcissa stared coldly at the shorter witch. "Scorpius, please tell her what you know of your Aunt Bella."

Scorpius stared at his grandmother a moment, then complied. "She was He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's right hand, she killed and tortured a lot of people, and she was killed in a one-on-one duel, just before the Dark Lord fell."

Andromeda smiled at the young boy. "Now ask your grandmother how many sisters she has."

Narcissa answered before Scorpius could ask. "You told me at Dora's funeral, to leave, and that you wanted nothing to do with me or my husband or our family."

Andromeda's eyes fell. "I was wrong."

The shock on Narcissa's face was apparent. "What did you say?"

Albus shared Narcissa's surprise. He had known Andromeda his entire life and had never known the woman to be wrong, or admit it if she was. She was iron-willed and tenacious to the core, but she never showed this level of vulnerability. Teddy looked so stunned he had to sit down on the arm of a chair.

Andromeda looked back up, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I was wrong. I'd just lost Ted, Dora, and Remus, and was trying to raise Teddy. I had so much anger, I threw away the only family I had left. But this isn't about you, or me, or Lucius. This is about that little boy you're holding. He only knows he wants to play Quidditch. Don't take that away from him."

In that moment, the two women stared into each other's eyes, the deep history they shared playing behind their eyes.

"Scorpius," Narcissa stated, "this is your Great Aunt Andromeda, and that young man over there is Teddy, your cousin."

It wasn't a tearful reunion, and it wasn't greeting-card perfect. The two sophisticated witches didn't embrace or tearfully apologize; they just nodded as if an agreement was passed.

Narcissa called out to Headmaster Shacklebolt, "Where do I sign?"

The tall man found some parchment on his desk and brought it over with a quill. Scorpius followed his grandmother and the Headmaster with eager eyes not wanting to believe it was possible, after being crushed by disappointment just a few moments before, he was trying to be reserved until the document was approved.

As she scratched out her name, Shacklebolt inquired, "May I ask, what changed your mind?"

She handed the parchment and quill back. "No, you may not."

Scorpius beamed. "I've got an aunt and a cousin, and I get to play Quidditch!"

Narcissa's bearing cracked for just a moment. "Consider this the next few Christmases and birthdays rolled into one. I will most likely get cut off for this."

Andromeda smiled at her sister. "If you ever need help..."

Narcissa cut her off. "I have some other resources, thank you."

With that, and one last hug for her grandson, she picked the Portkey back up and was gone in a blue flash, back to where she was summoned from.

 

Albus watched the whole scene with shock. "So Scorpius and Teddy are cousins?"

His dad nodded. "Family business, Albus. We had no right to say anything."

To punctuate the moment, Uncle Ron came bursting into the office and breathlessly declared, "I'm sorry, I can't Floo out until I find..." He stopped when he saw Rose. "There you are! What are you, barking mad? You know I've got to say goodbye to my girl!"

Rose rolled her eyes and she ran over. He plucked her off of the floor and hugged her. Then they began talking quietly.

Albus looked at his dad and mum. "Suddenly, I'm feeling a lot more normal."

His dad and mum chuckled and offered him a hug. "You'll get over it."

Albus watched his Uncle and Rose as they tried to out-apologize each other. It was like his Mum always said, Rose and her dad were just too much alike to get along, good thing they were also similar in their capacity for forgiveness.

"Ron?" Headmaster Shacklebolt said as Uncle Ron and Rose walked up, arm in arm. "How did you get in?"

"Zaire, Felicis told me. You need to get new gargoyles, mate!"

Shacklebolt sighed. "I know."

 

After Scorpius retrieved Kublai, he and Teddy went back to The Cellar, chatting animatedly. Albus silently walked the halls alone. He had said goodbye to his parents and left Rose talking with her dad. He just wanted to get into bed.

Then he realized that the staircase had turned him around, and he wasn't sure where he was. He started down a new hallway, panicking, when he was suddenly upside down, hanging by one foot. I wasn't long before he heard some flopping noises, and he got to see what a goblin looked like upside down.

"Ah, a student out of bed," the upside down goblin said in a smooth-cultured voice, stroking his long beard. "Whatever shall we do? Caretaker Filch's ghost is a few flights up chasing the Poltergeist yet again, but he can be summoned quickly."

"W-what do you want?" Albus stammered, discomfited. He was getting a bit of a headache.

"Well let's see, young Master Potter. You don't have too many valuables with any true value. I do wish young Master Malfoy was accompanying you."

"You've been through my stuff?" Albus said, shocked.

"I am the caretaker, it is advantageous to know what I am expected to take care of. We goblins don't believe in private property. That is a human concept. If it has been placed under my authority, I should have access to it."

Albus tried to think but he was getting a bit dizzy. "What do you want from me?"

The goblin was thoughtful. "A boone will suffice. You will owe me. Be sure you pay my debt before the end of the year."

As Albus was lowered to the floor, he glared at the goblin, "What's the boone?"

The goblin smiled with his little sharp teeth. "You'll know it when you see it, young wizard." He pointed one bony finger the way Albus should go, and then flopped off down the opposite corridor.

Albus was livid; how dare that creature hang him upside down like that! He ought to go back up to Headmaster Shacklebolt's office right now. However, he knew he would probably get lost on the way.

"What are you doing, Albus?" Rose asked as he turned the corner in the direction he was pointed. She was descending the stairs, but she didn't look lost.

"How are you finding you way around?" He demanded.

She smirked. "I memorised the floor plan before I came to Hogwarts."

Albus rolled his eyes, but followed her. Soon they where walking through the round oak door of The Cellar.

 

Albus was surprised to see Cormac waiting by the fire. "Hey Albus, canna talk to you a minute?"

Rose said goodnight, gave Albus a hug, and was gone.

He walked over to sit opposite Cormac. The firelight revealed worry lines etched into the boy's face.

"What's wrong?" Albus asked.

Cormac seemed unsure whether to say anything, but finally began. "Remember when you called your Quaffle strike this morning, lucky?"

Albus nodded.

Cormac sighed like he was lifting a heavy weight. "You might have been right about that."

Albus found himself growing nervous about where this was leading. "Why do you say that?"

Cormac was quiet for a minute, "Do ya know wha' I am, Albus? I canna tell you unless you already suspect."

Albus leaned back, rubbed his tired eyes, it had been the longest day of his life. "You're half-Leprechaun, aren't you?"

Cormac let air out like a deflating balloon, "Ya figured it out. I was hoping you'd know. Me mum was Leprechaun and me dad was human. I didna know until three years ago. Well, three years ago Leprechaun time. Staying with me mum's folks, it's hard to tell."

Albus was intrigued. "What was three years ago human time?"

Cormac looked at him calmly. "Thirty years, give or take."

Albus' mind was swirling with the possibilities. "And your father? He was human, right?"

Cormac stared off into the fire. "My mum went back to her people, she didna know I had power. I had wizard blood in me. My father had wizard in his blood from four generations back, he didna know that either for all he knew he was Muggle. Mum wouldna had a relationship with him if she had known about the wizard blood, because blending magics can be so unpredictable. My power came to me when I was seven years old. We were in a car; he complained about the traffic lights, I changed them all to green. We were hit by another car coming from the other direction." Cormac looked into Albus' eyes, "I turned one side but the other side was still green. I killed me father."

Albus was stunned. Finally, he ventured. "So? You can make things happen. All wizards do that when they come into their power, it's not your fault."

Cormac shook his head. "My power is different, I can cause things to become more likely, both good and bad. I can't control which way it goes. Think about it, after I said Luck be with ya earlier today, Professor Krum got hit in the back of the head and wound up headed for the Willa, but you had the Quaffle, knew where the knot was, and had enough arm to make the shot. Good and bad luck at the same time."

Albus sighed. "So that Quaffle shot was lucky. If you take away the Calming Draught too, I'm not as special as everybody thought.

Cormac shook his head. "The only way you coulda made tha shot, was if you were capable of hitting it anyway. All I did was make it more likely. I'm not full-blooded, I can't make anything happen that's not probable normally."

Albus shook his head. "I've got a headache. I need to lie down."

Cormac smiled. "I know, it's confusing, but I needed to tell ya."

Albus met his eyes. "Why me?"

Cormac pulled his wand out of his robes. "I recognized my people's workmanship when you pulled out yer wand."

Albus had one more shock in a day of shocks. The wand Cormac held out was as intricately carved as the one in his robes. He accepted the offered wand. He could see little scenes of Leprechauns frolicking around, playing tag, counting gold, and also more disturbing things involving humans, one sharply detailed caricature was spewing coins out of his mouth the terror on his face was so clearly rendered it was a palpable thing.

"Is your wand Chimera scale too?"

Cormac shook his head. "No, not that powerful. Me uncles plucked my Great-Great Grandda's beard while he was nappin, for the core. You should have heard him yelp! You've never heard a person curse until you've heard a 600 year old Leprechaun let fly!"

They both chuckled.

"What does this mean for me?" Albus said, handing the wand back.

Cormac stowed his wand. "I'm not sure. If it's in your possession then it belongs to ya, that's all I'm sure of."

Albus rubbed his eyes. "Can we talk about this some other time? My brain is melting."

Cormac nodded.

They started across the common room when Albus said, "Cormac, you didn't kill your father, I'm sure about that."

Cormac shook his head sadly. "It all comes ta the same thing, Albus."

They left in silence.

End Notes:

In JK's world, I am just the garbage man, but then again she throws out some very nice stuff!!! :)

 

Chapter 10 Vampires, Roses, Wandwork...(Part One) by Sly One
Author's Notes:

The rest of Albus' first week at Hogwarts. Normal...for Hogwarts!

This is the first part of Chapter Ten. I had to split it up because of the dreaded 501 message.

To Albus' relief, the next day was normal. Well, normal for Hogwarts.

As they made their way up to the Main Hall, Albus was amazed at the turn-around in Scorpius' fortunes. Those who had turned away from him in complete disdain the day before, were actually bordering on toleranting him now. Albus was greeted with the usual warmth, then the other students would glance off to the side, so as not to be obvious, and add, "Malfoy" under their breath.

"Just think," Albus said gleefully nudging Scorpius in the ribs. "By this time in a couple of months, they might actually glance at you!"

Scorpius rolled his eyes, adding, "And a couple months after that, they might actually say my first name too. Before they run off in shame, of course."

Albus grinned. "That's the spirit. Be positive!"

Scorpius favoured him with a wry smile.

At breakfast, Rose was her normal, cheerful morning self, rating somewhere between a rampaging Hippogriff, and a Troll with a toothache. She had empty seats in a wide berth around her, indicating that she had caused some carnage already. They all got some pointed looks from some Slytherins as they settled in, but Teddy's protection had apparently been taken seriously. They all immediately found other things to do.

Another Howler arrived for Scorpius with the owls. This time, however, Rose was able to cast a Muffliato in time. The only one who heard what was being bellowed was Scorpius. Even with the spell, Albus heard a word or two leak through. Never play Quidditch, and Not while I'm alive, seemed to sum up the message Lucius Malfoy was bombarding his grandson with.

Albus and Rose tried to eat their breakfast like nothing was happening, until the explosion of red paper. Scorpius was a little less shell-shocked from this Howler than he was the one the day before. His hand trembled as he took a swallow of his juice.

Sorry," he explained sheepishly. Until yesterday, I'd never gotten one of those in person. Still not used to it."

"Not to be nosey," Rose began.

"That's never stopped you before," Scorpius quipped.

She stuck out her tongue at him, before continuing, "What was this morning's Howler about?"

Scorpius calmly swept the ash off of the table, "It seems that paper work for all students involved in Quidditch, are registered with the Ministry. Grandfather still has friends there. He is not amused."

Albus tried not to pry, but he had to know. "What do you mean, not amused?"

Scorpius calmly stared off into space his face flushed in anger. "Grandfather let it be known to me, that will have no access to my racing broom at home, and that no one in anyway related to the Potters are going to help me acquire one." He turned to Albus, his eyes were cold, "If anyone directly connected with the Potters helps me, Grandfather will bring interference charges before the Intramural Quidditch Counsel, and have me suspended."

Albus considered that for a moment, stomach clenched with nerves. The plan was brilliantly diabolical. Lucius couldn't stop his grandson from playing Quidditch for Hufflepuff by withholding permission, so now he was handicapping his grandson from being able to compete adequately.

Albus was beginning to see why Slytherins made such formidable enemies.

Rose was blustering, muttering vile threats under her breath, "Somebody should go and find that old man and..."

Albus interrupted her before she could finish the thought, "So you can't be helped by anyone having to do with the Potters. What about Professor Pharrel? Dad got his first broom from his Head of House."

A grin dawned on Scorpius' face, "They allowed him to use it?"

Albus nodded.

They went off to find Professor Pharrel's office before class. They were told by Roxanne that it was located in the back of the DADA room. They followed her up instructions and ran up the main stair two flights and ran down the right side corridor and arrived out of breath to the spacious classroom.

The professor answered the door, and graciously waved them inside. It turned out to be opulent, trimmed in oak, and lined with shelves of dark art detection devices and duelling trophies. Albus quickly explained the situation too him as the professor fidgeted with a foe glass, arranging and rearranging on the shelf.

"So what is it you want me to do, exactly? Be specific dear boy, I'm not extremely bright you know," he inquired with a self deprecating chuckle.

"My dad's Head of House got him a broom to use. I was hoping you might do the same," Albus replied.

Pharrel thought about it as he checked his reflection in the newly straighted apparatus. He turned and nodded at the trio. "I don't see why not. However, you three need to get to your first class."

Scorpius' face was flushed with excitement. "Thank you, sir!" he gushed as he held out his hand. Professor Pharrel looked at his hand with a strange little smile, "I'm sorry, son, I don't shake hands. I'm happy to help out. So get going you have a class to attend. I'll let you know when I've got it ready."

Even though they flew down the hallway, they arrived at Charms a little later than the other students.

As they reached the spacious airy room, all the happiness they had felt earlier abated. They were greeted with the sight of angry, disgruntled first-year Gryffindors, already seated, collected in the back tables in a united block. It seemed as though Albus' heroics the day before did not earn him fans in that tower. A group of Hufflepuffs saving them was an extreme embarrassment to a House known for bravery and boldness. Upperclassmen most likely did not let that pass.

"Hail, the conquering hero comes," spat the taller of the blond duo from the day before with venom dripping.

"Hail, the cowering jerk doth sit," Rose spit back. Albus rolled his eyes.

Any impending violence was cut short by the arrival of Professor Patil. Her calm gaze took in the obvious separation in the two houses, "Class, eyes to the front, we have a lot to cover today, if you want to keep up, pay attention, I never repeat myself."

She launched into the lesson quickly with no preamble. She obviously wasn't one to make speeches and ease anyone in.

Soon, only the sound of her voice and scribbling on parchment was heard as she taught about the use of Charms, particularly how wand movement and intent played a part. Rose and Scorpius seemed able to keep up, whole the rest of the class looked shell-shocked like Albus, who caught himself drooling twice. Rose was copying word for word, while Scorpius was using a relaxed occasional notation style. Albus' brain just felt like it was frying.

Finally, Professor Patil assigned practical work on the charm, Wingardium Leviosa, levitating feathers.

Scorpius managed to get his feather up off of the desktop rather quickly, ahead of a red-faced Rose. While she was a bookworm and a fount of theory, she was having trouble with the application.

Albus saw a sly smile as Scorpius watched her struggle. Scorpius finally leaned over and murmured, "Your wrist is too stiff."

Rose glared at him, but the moment she loosened up her wrist, her feather left the table surface.

"Don't you dare say ‘I told you so'!" she hissed. Scorpius looked affronted that she would think he would stoop to such depths, but as soon as she looked away, he mouthed it. Albus had to snigger.

Rose turned on him. "Well, funny boy, are you going to levitate that feather or just fan it with your wand," she demanded.

Albus grimly raised his wand, noticing the silence in the room around him, except for a few chairs backing away. He had been watching Rose and Scorpius, and he thought he had the motion and the pronunciation down. He ignored the tingling in his wand arm and closed his eyes waving the wand in the correct manner.

"Wingardium Leviosa," he declared. He heard some gasps and sounds of students leaving their seats behind him. He opened one eye.

The entire hard wood table, with everything on it, was levitating off the floor and floating passed his nose. He lost concentration in his shock, and it started to fall until Professor Patil caught it with her own Charm and lowered it gently to the floor.

"Class dismissed. Please work on that Charm for our next time together, but keep to small, light objects please," Professor Patil remarked stoically.

There was a scramble for the door as Albus stowed his wand, red-faced.

"Mr. Potter?"

"Yes, professor?"

"Make sure you always keep your eyes open at all times when you're casting a spell," she instructed. "Especially with your wand."

Her eyes were kind as she gave them the go-ahead to leave.

End Notes:
All hail JK! To Her all credit doth go!
Chapter 10 Vampires, Roses, Wandwork...(Part Two) by Sly One
Author's Notes:

The rest of Albus' first week at Hogwarts. Normal...for Hogwarts!

Due to that nasty 501 message I had to break this Chapter into two parts. This is the second.

As they left the classroom, he heard a voice come from behind him, "Try not to lose your breakfast this time Potter." He turned to see a couple of Gryffindors laughing as they headed down the hall. Rick Cresswell walked by with Thor Boot, shaking his head in disgust, showing his loyalty.

They didn't have a class until midnight Astronomy, so the rest of the day was theirs. They walked down to Professor Krum's ship to check on him. While they were there, they were given some wonderful native Romanian lemon bread, called Prajitura cu lamaie that his lovely wife baked for them to show her gratitude. Professor Krum complimented Scorpius on his flying, and brusquely thanked Albus and Rose for salvaging the bad situation.

"I might haf lost a student, zat botherz me more than my injuries," he remarked as he stiffly sat at the stove fingering this strange little triangle-in-a-circle-wrapped-in-chains charm he had around his neck on a silver chain. "I should aff checked the Bludgers vhen you varned me. I am sorry." Albus accepted a grateful handshake from the tall man that made his hand sore for an hour after.

They went back to the castle, picked at their lemon bread-spoiled dinner, ignored some glares and barbs from Gryffindors in the Great Hall, and went down to the Cellar to work on their homework for Potions and Charms.

Later that night, after their first Astronomy class with the Slytherins, Albus discovered that not all of the students were ungrateful for his heroics the day before. The pretty Hufflepuff with the perfect blond hair, introduced herself.

"I'm Summer Sutherland," she informed as she shifted her telescope to under he other arm . "Thank you for saving us yesterday. You were very brave."

Albus nodded awkwardly, not sure what else to do. She smiled, flashing dimples as she walked by, trailing some floral perfume. The small, shy girl with glasses that always seemed to trail Summer passed by in her wake, she paused just long enough to murmur, "Yes, thank you."

Then having exhausted her ability to communicate, she scurried off, holding her books and telescope tight to her chest like a shield.

"Who was that?" Albus asked as she gave him one last look back before she turned the corner.

Rose snickered, "Wipe the drool off of your chin first."

"Not her, the second one," Albus insisted.

"Iris Ivy. She and Summer hang out a lot. I don't know why. That's the most I've ever heard her say. Summer said her parents have Druid ancestors, they named all their kids after things in nature. "

Albus thought about the plain looking girl being friends with the obviously attractive Summer. Suddenly, he realized looking at Scorpius, he was going to be the plain looking guy with a attractive friend dragging him around.

They passed Growltooth on the way back to the Cellar, and the goblin gave Albus a knowing, creepy smile. Albus tried not to acknowledge he had even seen the goblin, but he got a shiver up his spine.


The next day, there was no Howler for Scorpius, much to his relief; but they still hadn't heard from Professor Pharrel. Opting for patience, the decision was made to wait and talk to him in Defence class, which was scheduled for Friday.

Today all Albus could think about was, it was time for Professor Longbottom's Herbology Class.

This was the only class that James had ever commented on, and he called it brilliant.


They arrived at the interior entrance to the Arboretum, same time as the Slytherins, currently sneering as they pulled on the required gloves and protective goggles clearly ready to hate this next class instantly.

With a hiss of pressurized air, they all entered the Arboretum, and just stopped and stared. The sheer mass of the place wasn't the only thing that was stunning; the variety of plant life was jaw dropping. They were greeted by four stories of walkways and open air. The green, spelled, outer glass wasn't tinting or taking away from the colours within, but enhancing them.

They saw different eco systems just from their vantage point on the first level. Over to the left were a group of tropical plants being rained on by small contained storm clouds, while just across the path there was some desert flowers and exotic plants growing out of sun blasted rock and sand, a small globe of light hovered over head, obviously giving off heat, but the temperature within the arboretum remained comfortable.

Standing in the middle of the pathway, with his hands behind his back, goggles forgotten on his head, was Uncle Neville. He looked like an excited kid showing off his creation.

"Welcome to the Sprout Arboretum." he announced.

Not long after they were being led through pathways and stairways, spiralling up to the top, Albus' head felt like it was going to explode from all of the sights he was taking in.

They walked past winter landscapes and tundra with crystalline glass looking plants, they passed what appeared to be a rocky mountainside with plants growing out of the side, there was a gentle wind blowing throughout the place. It had a white brick path that wound all through the vistas, and older students seemed to be taking care of the plants dictating their results to Quick Quotes Quills. the panorama was nearly overwhelming. Albus had been given a book to read while he stayed at Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron's that reminded him of this place, it was called Alice. and Wonderland.

"After the Battle of Hogwarts, several things became apparent," Neville explained. "First, was the significance of Magi-plant life in defensive applications, and secondly the lack of funding and focus on Herbological studies needed to be corrected."

Neville paused as someone from the back of the group chuckled derisively. Far from being put out, he actually smiled. "Ah, we have a sceptic in our midst," he challenged gleefully. "Please step forward."

A smaller dark curly-haired Slytherin boy, boldly stepped to the front.

Neville nodded to himself. "Ah, Mr. Kerry, Kian. Son of Krystoph Kerry, I presume?"

Kian sneered. "Yes, and he said this arboretum is the biggest waste of Ministry funds he has ever seen."

Neville nodded. "Well, that is one man's opinion. What is your objection, young master Kerry?"

Kian rolled his eyes. "Plants used in defensive applications, I mean, really!"

Neville waved the class over to a particularly spectacular plant with multi-hued blooms that seemed to change with the angle and light. "Mr. Kerry? Did your father teach you, legally of course, about any offensive spells? Like, Stupefy, for instance?"

Kian shifted nervously. "Of course he did. What has that to do with the subject?"

Neville bent down and plucked one of the blooms gently and pinned it to his lapel like a boutonnière. "Please, if you don't mind, stun me."

Kian backed away. "You're a nutter! I'll get suspended!"

Neville smiled. "Let me assure you. I give you my word, you will not be suspended. Please proceed."

Kian thought about it a moment longer, then whipped out his wand and bellowed, "Stupefy!"

A bolt of red light left his wand and shot out at Neville. Suddenly it impacted on what looked to be a globe of solid, multi-hued energy surrounding the man, and shot back to Kian. He was bathed in a nimbus of crimson, and began to fall to the floor when Neville's own wand shot out in a blur and he bellowed, "Rennervate."

Kerry revived before he fell, but shock was etched on his face. "W-what was that?"

Neville smiled proudly. "That is a Bastille Rose. It is the only known plant that can protect itself from spells. We are working on an application to create personal force fields for wizards, but as of yet, the protection doesn't last longer than the blooms, which are a just a few minutes.

"That, class, is just one of the applications we are working on. Let's head over to the classroom."

They followed him to a glass enclosure on the first floor which turned out to contain a classroom with tables complete with their own sinks. The rest of the class went quickly, with Neville assigning them some reading, and answering any questions related to curriculum.

As he dismissed them, he made one last statement, "Just so you know, class, I don't believe in belittling, or humiliating students as a way to educate them. Mr. Kerry I apologize for using you as a demonstration, but I believe I made my point?"

Kian's face was flushed in anger, but he nodded, his eyes narrowing.

"Class dismissed."

As they filed by Albus and Rose paused, to "give Uncle Neville their love."

"Uncle Neville, is Professor Hemophilius a vampire?" Albus asked.

Neville chuckled. "Well, let's just say that, falling asleep in History of Magic is a little bit more precarious this year than in years past."

With that vague, but dire statement ringing in their ears they made it to History of Magic.


The classroom was lit only with lamps in the walls, the windows heavily curtained. It was furnished like an 18th century salon with panels of opulent fabric recessed in the walls ringed by intricately carved woods. The student's desks were missing, and in their place were antique couches and chairs all in a semi circle around a suspended chalkboard. The floors covered by expensive oriental rugs. Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs situated themselves staring at the surrounding decadence, confusion apparent.

A portrait of a dour looking older man, looking slightly out of place on the wall, was overseeing the students getting settled in. He spoke with a high and reedy voice, "There are some rules to this class you will be required to observe, no one is to look the professor in the eye for longer than a few seconds. No one is to remove the curtains at anytime for any reason. And lastly, there will be no fraternizing with the professor between classes...ever. So ask your questions during the class."

Those ominous words being spoken, Albus expected someone frightening to pop out. But the man walked out of the back office was one of the least terrifying persons that Albus had ever seen.

He looked like a turn of the century dandy who looked barely eighteen years old, with skin so pale as to almost be transparent. His dark hair was tight to his head, and he wore old-fashioned blue velvet garb with an ascot.

He smiled and Albus couldn't detect long incisors. He was beginning to think this was all a joke.

"Hello class, I am Professor Hemophilias. If you will kindly shut up and listen, we can make this as quick and painless as possible."

His tone was pleasant and bored as he began to talk about events occurring in wizard history.

His perspectives on the Historical facts were fascinating, giving insights and details from a first person perspective. But how could a guy that looks like a teenager, possibly be referring to things two hundred years ago like he was there? Albus wondered.

Albus also heard some strange oddities in the way he was teaching them.

"The goblins rebelled, and who can blame them, really, there was blood everywhere. Hemophilius said the word blood with a strange creepy little shudder.

He prowled and lounged and posed. His mannerisms seemed effeminate, but the girls in the room couldn't take their eyes off of him. Every time his bright blue eyes would lock onto one of the female students, the painting cleared his voice and the professor moved on. Albus was finally at enough of an angle that he saw a bit of fang when the professor smiled.

Hemophilias never walked beyond a line in the floor talking to the students without really interacting with them.

They were dismissed and everyone left the classroom quickly feeling like they had just escaped something, they weren't sure what.

Rose tried to put a positive spin on it, "Looks like History of Magic is going to be interesting this year."

Albus sniggered, "You mean it's going to be a pain in the neck."


When that Friday came, Albus' got a visit from Nox. The dark bird swooped down, catching some stares with his long, elegant wings, he dropped some parchment and acted aloof to Albus until he got some toast. After which he nibbled his finger and lifted off.

The parchment was from Hagrid.

Just wanted to remind you, that you and Rose are supposed to have dinner with me tonight. See if your new friend wants to come. He's welcome as well. See you at seven o'clock. Got a surprise for you, but I won't tell you. So don't try to pry.

Love,
Hagrid

He gave it to Rose to read, and asked Scorpius if he wanted to come. Scorpius looked around at all the glares he was getting and nodded.

"A surprise for us? Hagrid can never keep anything secret." Rose commented.

Albus grinned. "Well, we'll have fun not prying it out of him."

They shared a chuckle.


Their first class, Transfiguration with the Ravenclaws, went smoothly.

As they arrived in Professor Bast's bright sunlight room, she assigned them into groups of three, at smaller individual tables not as close to one another as other classes, giving some privacy to the students as they practiced.

She was a talented teacher, who was very vibrant and interesting. And when the time came to turn pine needles into pins, she came over to Albus, Rose and Scorpius.

"Albus I want you to work on this," she said as she placed a block of ice on the table. She winked at him, "Work on turning that into a block of wood."

Albus saw Scorpius turning red trying not to laugh, Rose had her head down, but her shoulders were shaking. Albus glared at them, then tried to transfigure the block of ice.

It wasn't long before Scorpius and Rose were brushing bits of slush out of their hair. Professor Bast never commented, just replaced the block of ice every time, giving him some pointers.

Rose managed to get her pine needle hard enough to stick into the table top, earning her some praise. Scorpius however couldn't get his to harden at all. Rose leaned over. "Your wrist is too loose, sweetie," she said. She batted her eyes at him cutely, he just glowered.

By the end of class, Albus' block of ice was actually showing some wood grain.


Defence Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins, was a bit of a let down. After seeing all of those trophies in Professor Pharrel's office, Albus expected a lot of first hand knowledge to be imparted. The genial man spent most of the class going over the book, Defending Your Life, that was the listed course text. Any questions that he was asked, was referred to the syllabus. They never even pulled out their wands for practice. With a last reading assignment, the class was dismissed.

Professor Pharrel waved them over as the students filed out.

"I've acquired a broom for Scorpius, I'm putting some charms on it now, legal of course, but I should have it to him by Monday."

Albus clapped Scorpius on the back in congratulations, "Great!"

Professor Pharrel nodded them toward the door without another word.

They speculated as to the type of broom Pharrel was giving Scorpius the rest of the afternoon, Rose not contributing, but rolling her eyes on occasion that she couldn't believe they were still talking about it.


Hagrid received them warmly when they reached the cosy little cabin on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Fang IV astonished Scorpius at first when he let out a ground shaking bark, but soon he was licking the boy to death, barely being restrained by his master.

Hagrid beamed as he tugged the dog off, "He likes ya, good thing he's just a puppy."

Scorpius went pale. "T-that monster is a puppy?"

"Sure!" Hagrid told him. "He'll grow a bit more yet."

Scorpius tried to be polite. "Oh. That's good to hear."

Albus and Rose spent the next hour gnawing on Rock Cakes, fending off Fang, and watching Scorpius try to choke down dandelion juice for the first time.

Hagrid was uncharacteristically vague about his surprise, all they could get him to say was, ‘You'll see when he gets here'.

"So the surprise is a he!" Rose goaded.

Hagrid clammed up, and glared at them for getting that much out of him.

Soon after, there was a booming knock on the door. Hagrid crossed the room remarkably fast for such a large man.

The person he let through the door was large and muscular, he had a ruddy outdoorsman complexion under his freckles, crew cut red hair with a claw scar across one cheek. He was well into middle age, with grey showing in his thick ginger moustache, and goatee. His attire was strange as well, wearing a dragon hide overcoat with a fang earring. He grinned at the shocked expressions on Albus and Rose's face. "Did someone here order a flying instructor?" he growled.

Albus could only say, "Uncle Charlie?"

End Notes:
All Hail JK...to her all money doth go!
Chapter 11 Flying Like A Dragon's After You by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Flying Lessons with Uncle Charlie...will Albus Survive?

The rest of the evening went fast after that point, with Albus introducing Scorpius to the coolest Uncle in the Weasley family, by most of the grandchildren's reckoning.

Uncle Charlie wasn't one to visit often, mostly holidays, but when he was around, his relatives usually made an effort to be accommodating. Albus' mum once explained it was like "some magnificent wild beast visiting your yard. You want to keep seeing it, so you don't crowd it, hoping it will feel comfortable enough to comeback more often."

He answered all of Hagrid's questions about dragons with boyish enthusiasm. Scorpius forgot to be cool and aloof as he peppered the older man with questions, almost as many as Hagrid.

In a way, Albus was not surprised it was Uncle Charlie who was going to teach him to fly.

A few Christmases back, the Weasley men got into the eggnog a little heavy and Uncle Bill, Uncle Percy and Grandpa got into an argument with Uncle Ron, Uncle George and Teddy over whether the best flyer in the family was: Albus' dad or Uncle Charlie. The argument ended with some bets exchanged and a "Snitch Catch" scheduled for the next day.

The two competitors were outfitted with old Comet 290's and flew after the Snitch best three out of five.

Albus knew his dad could fly, and he knew his Uncle Charlie escorted dragons on his broomstick, but the swirling, diving, rolling contest that followed was by far, in his mind, the best exhibition of flying he had ever seen. He wasn't alone in that regard as all of his relatives still talked about that day. The contest ended when, at two each, Charlie, who flew everyday, barely out-stretched Albus' dad Harry and took the Snitch.

That became yet another example of the legend that was Uncle Charlie.

Assuring Albus that he needed to get some sleep, Uncle Charlie got up to head back to Victor Krum's ship where he was staying the night. He told Albus that he expected him at the old Dragon Pavilion bright and early. The instructions were clear, 'Don't tell anyone he was visiting, and for Albus to bring a change of clothes with him'.

Charlie gave Rose a hug and annoyingly ruffled Albus' hair before shaking hands with Scorpius and Hagrid, and then was gone.

They headed back to Hogwarts. Walking through the cool dusk up to the twinkling lights of Hogwarts, Scorpius kept talking about the older man he had just met.

"That's your uncle?" Scorpius inquired, awe clear in his voice.

Rose beamed. "Absolutely!"

As she told Scorpius her favourite Charlie story about her uncle's tussel with a nasty Ukranian Ironbelly that had a bad case of flammable halitosis, Albus felt his stomach clench while he contemplated what he was in store for the next day. The only encouragement he had was his dad's statement about what would befall Uncle Charlie if anything happened to Albus. What was the problem with that? Between, 'Scarring you for life', and 'Don't worry, he won't hurt you', there was a lot of room for error. Add in the fact that Uncle Charlie had been dealing with a clientele with fangs and claws for most of his adult life.

"Not good," Albus murmured.

The next morning, Albus made his way across the grounds, with a small travel case, and his wand in his pocket. He was guided by some instructions scribbled on a piece of parchment by Roderick Yates. The older boy raised an eyebrow when he was asked where the Dragon Pavilion was, but when Albus told him he wanted an out of way place to practice flying so he would be ready for the Quidditch try-outs, Roderick gave him the directions with no further question.

It was a long walk, past Hagrid's cottage, around the edge of the Forbidden Forest, until Hogwarts was out of sight completely. Albus made good time arriving outside of the massive enclosure in a little under an hour.

It was shaped like an amphitheatre butted up against a cliff side. It didn't look as though it were used very often.

Rose had told him about it before they left the common room the night before. Built for the first Triwizard task, in his dad's fourth year, the Ministry never tore it down afterwards. They stated it was because of the possibility of the tournament being held at Hogwarts in the future. But more likely, it was a lot of money to build and the Ministry skinflints couldn't see spending that much money on a structure that was going to be disposable.

Albus saw a tent with smoke coming out of its chimney in a field off to the side. He headed over and pushed through the flap into a spacious living room and dining area where his Uncle Charlie was eating breakfast. He had an extra plate of food set out on the table. Albus sat down and tucked in; no words were exchanged until Albus had started on his second kipper.

"You ready to do some flying, son?" Uncle Charlie asked as he leaned back with his coffee.

Albus nodded without meeting his eyes. He didn't want his Uncle to see the terror that was there. No boy wanted to show weakness in front of an adult he respected, and truth be known, Albus wasn't sure he was going to keep his breakfast down with his nerves.

"Well, as soon as you finish, we can get started."

They finished breakfast and Charlie led him over to the pavilion. They walked through a tunnel into the interior.

The place was huge, bigger than the Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch, with row upon row of stands surrounding a large arena area with heat-blackened rock. There, looking tiny and solitary, was a broom leaning against a large crate.

"I remember the day your dad faced that Hungarian Horntail. She was gorgeous, but nasty. He really won my respect that day!"

"How so?" Albus asked, hoping to delay the inevitable.

Uncle Charlie smiled at the memory. "Out of all of the contestants, he was the only one to realize he was dealing with a dangerous, but intelligent creature that he needed to outsmart. The rest tried to disable, or trick their dragon. Krum hit his Chinese Fireball in the eye with a curse. He's a friend now, but I still bring that one up! Harry was the only one who used the dragon's instincts, instead of working against them. In a way, that is what I am going to do today with you. I am going to work with your instincts. You've got too much flyer blood in you to not know how to fly deep down. We've just got to get your brain out of the way."

Albus thought those were the most ominous words he had ever heard.

They walked over to the crate, and Uncle Charlie grabbed the broom and tossed it to Albus. Albus caught it and studied it. "This is a Nimbus Millennium!" he exclaimed.

Charlie looked amused. "For a bloke, who's terrified of flying, you know your brooms."

Albus traced the lines with his finger. "I never said I didn't like brooms, just flying them."

Charlie grinned. "Well, what are you waiting for? Mount it!"

Albus held the broom gingerly as he mounted it and waited for further instructions. He had no intention of making this easier on his uncle.

"Try to dismount. I need to check something," his uncle stated offhandedly.

Albus tried to dismount but he couldn't get loose. Images rammed into his head. Him being goaded by his brother to get on the broom, the feeling of panic when he couldn't get loose, the terror as he flew out of control through painful apple-laden boughs in the orchard. He began to breath shallow, the old familiar panic stirring in it's lair somewhere deep in his chest.

"Uncle Charlie, why is there a sticking charm on this broom?" he asked, his voice quavering.

"We need to get through to your instinct. Albus, I'm sorry, there isn't another way."

Albus just then glanced at the brushes. "Why are the twigs scorched?"

Uncle Charlie smirked. "Well, one of the biggest instincts a fellow has is self-preservation."

He walked over to the crate, smacked it with his hand. "Trezeste-te leneş Dragon!" he bellowed. The contents of the crate growled in response.

Terror gripped Albus' heart. "W-what's that?" he managed to squeak.

Charlie smiled, but if it was supposed to be reassuring, it failed. "This, my dear boy, is Ringo. He's not much of a morning person, even for a dragon."

Albus felt his eyes widen almost painfully. "A dragon!"

"Yeah he's a little Chinese Fireball I've been raising. You happen to be stuck to his favourite toy."

Albus was speechless in terror. He felt his chest hitch and his stomach lurch. The beginnings of a first rate panic attack began to cloud his mind.

Charlie's smile faded and his face shut down, becoming as cold as a Romanian winter. "In ten seconds, I am going to let my friend here out to play. I wouldn't be on the ground when he gets out, if I were you."

"B-but Uncle Charlie!"

"One!"

"Don't do this!"

"Two!"

"My mum's going to kill you!"

"I'm not your mum or dad,Albus. You've been coddled enough! Oh, and that's three by the way."

Albus felt tears sliding down his cheeks. He had no words because he was losing his breath.

Charlie showed no sign of mercy. "You can stay here and have a panic attack and meet the dragon, or you can kick off and try to out fly it. Those are your only two options. Oh, in case you can't count, Albus, that's four.

Albus didn't even remember kicking off, but the wind was blowing his hair back, except his cowlick, which was fighting it. The tears dried on his cheek as he headed to the closest side of the pavilion. He pulled up short when he felt the Aversion Charm. He was trapped.

"Ten! Play nice!" Charlie called, as he kicked the bolt on the side of the crate door, it fell with a thud, and a red and gold comet, trailing smoke shot out, straight for Albus.

He wasn't as large as Albus had first thought.

'Merlin! Who cares? It's a bloody dragon!'

Albus spun and launched off toward the other side of the pavilion as fast as he could get the broom to go. He felt the heat of the dragon's breath right behind him, there was smoke blowing around, and he expected to be torched any second.

Then suddenly something deep within Albus stirred. What came to the surface was primeval, and dark. It was pure unfettered rage, and it felt like a long lost friend.

He slowed down until the dragon was right on his heels, and suddenly he yanked the broom stick into a roll to the side, simultaneously braking, the dragon shot by, and he rolled back and kicked the broom after it. Round and round they went, with the dragon trailing smoke, and Albus hard on its tail. Suddenly the dragon dived for the ground and into its crate. Albus landed on the ground running a few steps.

He didn't remember extending his wand, but it was there, in his hand, shaking with his fury, pointed at his Uncle Charlie's chin.

The rugged man was laughing so hard he was wiping tears, he didn't seem to realize that he was the one in peril now.

Albus aimed at a partially melted rock.

Reducto!

The disintegrated rock showered his uncle with pebbles as he covered his eyes. Seeing that he had the man's full attention, "Take this sticking charm off of me now!" Albus shouted.

Charlie nodded and removed it with a spoken word. Albus dismounted, dropped the broom and started to storm off. Before he got more than a couple of steps, he heard:

Petrificus Totalus!

All at once, he couldn't move a muscle.

His uncle moved into his line of sight. "I want to talk to you, without being hexed." He plucked the wand out of Albus hand.

The first thing Albus did, when he could move again, was take a swing. But his uncle, anticipating such a move, ducked it and soon had him in some kind of arm lock. He was behind him with his mouth at his nephew's ear. "I am going to release you, but know, if you take another swing at me, I won't hesitate to stun you. Am I understood?"

Albus managed to nod, and his uncle let go of him.

Albus turned slowly, glaring. "I hate you," he spat, with as much venom as he could muster.

"I know. But, can I point out, you flew."

Albus twitched. I flew?

Charlie seemed to read his thoughts. "Yes, you flew, and quite well! I think you scared poor Ringo though." He walked over to the crate and waved Albus over.

Albus shook his head. "I don't feel like being torched, thank you very much."

Charlie gave him an impatient look. "Come over here. You're safe. Trust me."

"You're not on my list of trustworthy people at the moment."

Even as he said it, Albus walked forward. Through the slats, he saw beautiful iridescent red scales sparkled in the morning light-and then the dragon vanished.

Charlie grinned proudly. "It was an illusion based on a hatchling I saw blowing smoke rings, hence the name Ringo."

The truth sank into Albus. "I was never in danger, was I?"

"You thought you were," his uncle said with a grin, "and like your father, you won my respect today." He pulled Albus into a dragon-sized hug.

The rest of the day was spent with Albus learning how better to control the broom, how to throw a Quaffle using the broom's momentum. Uncle Charlie even mounted his own broom and raced Albus around the Pavilion with the illusionary Ringo joining in the fun. As the sun faded in the west behind the Forbidden Forest, they went back to the tent.

Albus had something bothering him; he wasn't sure how to broach the subject. As they ate a dinner of bangers and mash, he finally tried.

"Uncle Charlie?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry I threatened you."

A low rumbling chuckle filled the tent. "You had every right to be chapped. No need to apologise. Besides, you've got some Weasley in you. I'm lucky you went for the rock!"

They both laughed, Albus immediately felt better.

 

End Notes:
JK owns it. Harry Potter...Owns it! Hermione Granger...Owns it! You get the picture....
Chapter 12 The Choice by Sly One
Author's Notes:

I know this chapter is a bit strange but it introduces an important change in Albus. So bear with me.

That night, Albus had a dream.

He had earlier left Uncle Charlie packing up and made it to the gates before they shut behind him. As soon as he got back to the Cellar, weariness hit. Rose, Scorpius, Gas, and Cormac were having a study group. Rose and Scorpius fighting about the proper wand movement for a color-changing charm, which Rose had evidentally just demonstrated as Scorpius' hair was a eye-seering shade of fuscia. They looked up and made him a space to join them but he begged off, said he was exhausted and a goodnight. He went straight to bed.

In his dream, he was still camping out with Uncle Charlie in his tent at the pavilion and having trouble sleeping. It wasn't that the bed was uncomfortable; it was one of the nicest beds Albus had ever slept in.

Charlie's tent was his permanent home out on the preserve, so it had all of the features a home would have. The bedroom Albus slept in was one of several, except this one smelled faintly like the jasmine blossoms Aunt Audrey kept for healing potions. He sat up, threw his legs over the side, and searched the night stand for the lamp that was there. His questing hand found a plastic card. He turned on the lamp and looked at it. It was a Dragon Keeper identification with the name, N. Tedescu, but mysteriously, there was no identifying photo in the nightstand drawer when he put his wand away earlier.

Uncle George always joked that Uncle Charlie never brought home his girlfriend because she was a vampire. Maybe it's true.

Albus thought about it for a minute before shaking his head. Nah, his uncle probably liked dragons more than girls. He turned the light back out and tried to sleep, but it was no use. Finally, he gave up.

He put on a robe over his sleepwear, some trainers, and stowed his wand in his robe pocket, and walked out of warm tent, into the chilly night. His feet crunching on the pebbled stone.

He wasn't sure where he was headed until he was halfway through the dark, intimidating tunnel, into the interior of the massive Dragon Pavilion.

In the arena, which was lit by the three quarter moon, he walked over to the crate. Uncle Charlie's spell was centred inside it, but he wasn't going to look at the illusionary dragon. He just wanted to think.

What am I?

That question tore itself out of the dark recesses of his mind. As he recalled that morning, that anger surfaced again.

It felt so familiar, but he couldn't remember ever being that angry before.

Or at least acting on it.

That was it! That was where he knew it. Years of pranks, years of teasing and disrespect, years of his property being destroyed, years of having older cousins pick on him, and uncles joke around with him.

It came from years of being the victim.

What upset him wasn't that Uncle Charlie sent a dragon after him; he understood the reasoning behind that.

What upsets me is that he thought he could.

Albus had always got along so he could get along, he had always let things happen, and then didn't retaliate, because he just didn't have the heart to keep going with it. He just wanted to be left alone.

 Why won't they leave me alone?

Now he was among the Hufflepuffs. He was in the House at the bottom of the order. He was in a House whose best-known member was a martyr. It wasn't an easy path being a Hufflepuff. You were not considered the smartest, the bravest, or the most cunning. You were not perceived as intimidating or dangerous.

You are a Badger.

What was a Badger?

Eagles where high, soaring, spectacular creatures that inspired wonder.

A Lions were powerful and strong, attacking anything with ferocity.

A Snake was a solitary creature, which occupied nightmares, struck in stealth and were universally seen as dangerous.

What was a Badger?

Badgers were peace loving creatures huddling together, working hard digging out a place for themselves, attacking or harming no one. When forced to defend itself, a badger was one of the most tenacious and vicious fighters in the entire animal kingdom. Always the underdog, but never attacked with impunity or without reprisal. If you provoked a badger, and forced it to defend itself or its family, you were in for a bad job!

Albus felt a smile touch his lips. The Sorting Hat was right.

I am a Badger.

He made a decision right there, in the pavilion by the light of the moon. From this night forward, he was going to be a Hufflepuff to the core.

Not what Hufflepuff had become, but what it could be.

He was going to be a true Hufflepuff, that loved peace, minded his own business, was loyal to his friends, and worked hard; but one who would be someone you never wanted to cross-ever.

This path would not be an easy one.

But when the time comes, that you are faced with a choice, between what is right, and what is easy...

To hurt others was easy. To take what you want and be cunning, and never think of consequences: that was easy. To be intellectual and never feel emotion, and be untouched by others and their plight, that was easy. To be bold every time, taking all the glory, that was easy.

Being peace loving, gentle, thinking of others, doing the things that others didn't want to do, and taking a back seat when necessary, but making sure no one ever victimises you or your friends and loved ones? That was hard.

It is hard, but it's right.

Albus took out his wand, for once not feeling scared of the power he felt within, or the potential for harm it possessed. He touched his forehead with the tip, and communed. This was a rare Chimera Scale wand, beautifully carved by hands possibly not human, and it was placed in his hand. It had chosen him. At that moment in the darkness, he finally chose it back.


He waited in the darkness until Uncle Charlie woke and went to the fireplace to put the kettle on. Albus said, "I need to talk to you."

    Uncle Charlie almost leapt out of his skin. "What are you, daft, boy? Don't scare your poor uncle like that!" 

Albus was grave. "Please. It's important."

After his uncle was seated, he made the gesture for Albus to go ahead and tell him what was on his mind.

"I've decided, Uncle Charlie, that I can't let you get away with what you did to me yesterday."

The older man looked offended. "Well, it worked didn't it? I should think you'd be grateful."

Albus made sure he was making eye contact when he stated, "You would've never done that to anyone else."

Charlie snorted derisively. "No one else was afraid of a ruddy broom!"

Albus didn't back down for once. "I was afraid of flying because someone nearly killed me on a broom when I was six! You were there when it happened. You visited me in St. Mungos. You know how long it took me to recover! Still you thought less of me because I was afraid?"

His uncle thought about that for a moment. "You never cried."

Albus felt perplexed at the change in tone. "What?"

Charlie rubbed some sleep out of his eyes, before returning Albus' stare. "I Apparated your broken little body to St. Mungos, and you never cried, not once. I wanted to take James and Fred somewhere private and tan a strip off their hides, but Mum told me that they felt bad enough."

Anger made his voice rough. "That's how I knew I should never be a parent. The fact is, if I were their dad, they would've been right beside you drinking Skele-Grow with immobilising charms all over their bodies. Even with all that pain, you never cried. That's why, when you never flew again I was disappointed. You're too tough a kid inside, Albus, down where it counts, to be scared. It has to be a choice you're making. I don't think less of you. I just wanted you to realise you could handle a dragon being after you. I never expected you to chase the dragon off and come after me!" Charlie blurted with a bark of laughter. 

Albus didn't join him. "Even so, I can't let you get away with it."

Charlie grinned teasingly. "And what are you going to do to me, Ickle Albykins?"
 
Albus felt a sly smile touch his lips. "I guess I should still send Mum an owl to let her know I'm flying. She'll want details. How many I give her, is up to you."

Uncle Charlie looked positively grim. "You wouldn't do that to me! Your mum would kill me, and then get creative! I nearly lost my beard the last time she hexed me with the Bat-Bogeys!"

Albus gave him empty eyes. "I wouldn't?"

Uncle Charlie considered Albus for a few minutes. The battle of wills was intense in the silence. "What's your price?" he asked slyly.

"I need a broom for Quidditch."

"I'll let you have the scorched Millennium."

"The new one you flew on will be fine."

"That's an expensive broom, son."

"I can always send an owl to Grandmum too."

Charlie glowered at Albus, and then he smiled, shaking his head in mock disgust. "You slimy, little, blackmailing git!"

Albus leaned back, placing his hands behind his head. "Anyone who can create an illusionary dragon with that much detail can transfigure a broom into Hufflepuff colours, too."

Charlie grinned. "Anything else, your highness?"

Albus rolled his eyes comically. "My name spelled out with an indelible charm on the handle will suffice. Gold letters."

"Full name?"

"Why not?"

Charlie smiled fondly at his nephew, but there was a respect that wasn't there before. "You know that manoeuvre you pulled off on that broom, turning the tables on that dragon?"

Albus relaxed after the stress from the confrontation. "Yeah?"

Charlie grinned. "I've only seen another dragon do that. You fly like a dragon, son."

Albus met his eyes. "No, sir. I fly like a Badger."
-

When Albus awoke in his Hogwarts bed. He stayed there in the darkness, taking stock, thinking about his dream. It had been incredibly vivid and real-frighteningly so.

Was that the way he really felt? Like a victim who wasn't going to lie down and take it anymore? And that stuff about Hufflepuff. How did he know all that? Had his subconscious listened when he'd tuned out Rose nattering on about the Houses in Hogwarts, A History?

His talk with Uncle Charlie was something else to ponder. Could he really stand up to an adult that way? The threats he'd made, the demands-was he actually capable of blackmail? Was that dream possible? 

His heart skipped a beat when Scorpius yanked his bedcurtains back to ask, "You awake?"

"I am now," Albus grumbled. He slid out of bed and went through the motions of dressing and walking to the Great Hall with Scorpius and Rose almost in a daze. As he listened to them merrily squabble, his mind couldn't help but wander,

What did the dream really mean?

Did it mean that he wasn't just the youngest son of Harry Potter, the boy afraid of everything with panic attacks and anxiety? A boy his brother said was doomed to have an ulcer by the time he reached fifteen? Did it mean that he was becoming something else?

His thoughts were interupted by the arrival of the owls.

Celestina dropped a package at Rose then fled, fearing reprisal. Scorpius sighed in relief as there seemed to be no Howler coming for him. Albus went back to his porridge, and his thoughts, secretly relieved for some strange reason.

Suddenly there was an increase in comments. As Albus looked up, he felt like he was going in slow motion. He somehow knew what he would see.

He was the only one in the Great Hall not shocked when a owl, looking bone weary, dropped a long broom shaped object in front of him.

Waving Scorpius and Rose off, he picked up the card attached.

Albus,

I made it, safe back home in Romania. I realized before I left the country last night, if I ever want to come home again, I need for you to NOT tell your mother and grandmother how I got you flying. So accept this as a bribe, and good luck!

Yours,
 Uncle Charlie

 P.S. I made some alterations I somehow knew you'd appreciate.


Tearing open the package and finding a brand new Nimbus Millennium, spelled black with Hufflepuff yellow twigs, his full name in gold under the badge on the handle, Albus thought:

What is happening to me?

 
End Notes:
All hail JK! Praises to JK! It's all hers, down to the House Elves ear dander!
Chapter 13 Perspective Gained by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Albus gets a wake up call!

 

Albus spent the rest of the day with Scorpius down at the Quidditch pitch trying out his broom. He was enjoying flying so much; he was beginning to wonder what he had ever done with out it.

While Albus was decent by his own reckoning, when Scorpius took over his broom, the way he flew was breathtaking!

The boy just soared.

Albus wasn't sure what the difference was between what he could do and what Scorpius had innately, but it was there. Scorpius had this innate way of blending his movements with the broom. He wasn't simply a passenger, he was part of the broom itself.

They were interrupted when Professor Pharrel showed up in the stands with a broom in his hand. They tried not to show eagerness by walking toward him, but soon they were racing each other. Pharrel beamed as he held the stick out to Scorpius. It was a Twigger 99. Albus' heart fell.

Twiggers were sub par at best. They finally fixed their warping problems a few years back and made some amazing strides in manoeuvrability, but they were still too slow for a Quidditch pitch.

Pharrel didn't notice the disappointed looks he was getting as he handed the stick over. "My friend who flies with the Worchester Wizards Synchronised Flying Brigade, said it was the best broom he had ever flown," he informed with a big smile.

Scorpius was diplomatic. "Thanks, professor. I'm sure it will be great."

Pharrel nodded jovially and bustled off. Albus and Scorpius exchanged a look over the broom.

Albus hissed, "Worchester Wizards Synchronised Flying Brigade? Is he mental?" Albus knew about the trick flyers, he had seen them at ministry events, but they never did anything fast. As a matter of fact, they were so boring he and Rose usually ditched and snuck off.

Albus suddenly had an idea he turned to Scorpius. "You'll have to use my broom, that's all there is too it. I'll take the Twigger."

Scorpius, who had been studying the broom, shot Albus a look so scathing he was sure he had a burn mark in his robes.

"I'll make this work, Potter. I don't need your charity!"

Albus got heated. "Fine, you arrogant, snobby git. Good luck!"

Albus stormed off, his Nimbus Millineum clutched in his hand, blasting by Rose, who had been reading a book in the stands. He held hand up to her face to stop her queries as he walked out.

He was livid as he headed back to Hogwarts, but he just couldn't calm down. The rage that had been unleashed by that dragon chase was still with him; he didn't realize he had wandered over to Hagrid's hut until he wound up at the edge of his pumpkin patch. With a roar, he kicked one of the pumpkins.

"Hold on!"

Albus suddenly came to himself as Hagrid strolled over.

"Alby, what do ya think yer doin?" he growled.

Albus was immediately ashamed.

"I'm so sorry, Hagrid. I didn't mean to," he murmured.

Hagrid patted him on the back so hard Albus saw white stars a moment or two.

"S'ok, Alby, but yer need to get better control than that, ah'right?"

Albus nodded.

He walked up to the Hogwarts feeling confused about the rage he had just felt. It wasn't justified by the situation; he needed to get this Hippogriff back in its pen before he hurt somebody.

He suddenly remembered how he had felt the day of the Great Bludger Catastrophe, after Rose gave him that calming draught.

He wondered if he could brew himself some more.

He went back to the Cellar to stow his broom, and pick up his Potions book and supplies, added his pewter cauldron and went back to the kitchen. The house elves were more than happy to let him borrow a burner on one of the bigger stoves. He felt guilty for lying when he told them it was for homework.

He flipped through the book and found another Calming Draught recipe; this one had longer-term affects, but was more complicated to brew.

Albus tried not to think about whether or not he could brew it. He just dived right in.

He added ingredients, stirred counter clockwise, and added another with a half stir back clockwise. It was so comforting the adding of the ingredients and the stirring, he was actually enjoying himself every time he looked his potion was the right shade. Finally, he reached the end and took a look. According to the book illustration, it was perfect. He poured it into several phials and secreted them in his potion case.

Back in the bunkroom, he had just put his ingredients up in his trunk, and took his first sip when Scorpius came through the door looking sweaty, but triumphant. He walked over to his bed, grabbed some clean robes and began passing by when he paused, not even looking at Albus, ears flushed. "Sorry if I snapped at you, Albus."

Albus was feeling the calming effects already, "It's okay, and the offer's still open."

Scorpius turned just enough to show Albus that cold aristocratic Malfoy face. "You just don't get it do you."

Albus shook his head. "Tell me."

Scorpius sighed. "I don't have much left of a family right now, but I am still a Malfoy. A Malfoy finds his own way."

Albus considered that. "It must be lonely being a Malfoy then."

Scorpius left without another word.

-

The next day was a blur, with Quidditch try-outs on the immediate horizon.

Albus had no more outbreaks of anger. As a matter of fact, when James and Fred spelled his hair Slytherin green and wrote "The Next Dark Lord" on his back while at breakfast in the Great Hall, he barely noticed. Rose eyed him indignantly, but he couldn't be bothered.

For the first time in his life, he wasn't a mess of nerves, and it felt wonderful.

Double Potions with Ravenclaws was a breeze. Albus, who left his hair green, was now adding the potion ingredients while Scorpius stirred. Albus' sleeve caught on fire and he almost didn't notice until Scorpius put it out.

"What's wrong with you today, Potter?" he murmured.

Albus gave him innocent eyes. "Why do you ask?"

Scorpius looked flabbergasted. Albus knew he was acting strange, but it just didn't matter to him. It was like he was walking around in a comfortable haze. Rose and Scorpius were giving him strange looks the rest of the day, but he just didn't care.

The flying class, now moved inside the Hogwarts Courtyard went off without a hitch that afternoon. Albus didn't have much of an appetite at dinner and went to bed early.

The next day, he was surprised to see Scorpius awake before him; he was sitting on his bed arms crossed staring right at Albus.

Albus wiped the sleep out of his eyes. "What's wrong?"

Scorpius waited until their bunkmates had cleared out, then held out vials of potion to Albus. They were his Calming Draught.

"You went through my stuff?" Albus shouted.

Scorpius looked unrepentant. "Rose was right. She said you looked like you did before the Bludgers went mad. First you snapped at me, and stormed off, then you started acting like an Inferi!"

Albus glared at him, the anger was stirring. "And that gives you the right to rummage in my trunk?"

Scorpius, for once, dropped the cold arrogance. He looked scared. "You're my only friend. Something's really wrong with you. I wanted to know."

Albus sighed. He tried to stop being angry, but he just couldn't seem to. "I need that potion, Scorpius." His hands started clenching on their own accord.

Scorpius wasn't budging. "Rose is out in the common room right now waiting for us. She's just as worried as I am, maybe more so."

"Why?" Albus snapped.

"Because we want our Albus back, you git!" Scorpius shot back.

Albus' emotions started to pour out of him in a rush; he started crying. It felt like a panic attack, but worse. He lay back on the bed and curled into a ball, paralysed. He didn't know what was wrong with him.

Scorpius looked alarmed, "I'll get Rose, hang on!"

It seemed just a second later when Rose was there, she had a rag she had wet in the wash basin held to his forehead. Scorpius was hovering nearby.

The events of the last few days came gushing out of Albus in sporadic, broken sentences: the Dragon chasing him, his reaction, threatening Uncle Charlie, taking a swing at Uncle Charlie, his anger, the dream, what he could remember of it. And finally, like a sprinkles on the tart, what happened with the broom.

In the aftermath, Scorpius and Rose sat in shocked silence. Neither knew what to say. Albus didn't blame them it was all so crazy.

Rose, as was typical, broke the tension. "Give me a swig of that Calming Draught, Scorpius. I think I need it.

Albus started giggling, the other two followed suit until the laughter was almost hysterical. Between sniggers and relapses, Albus managed to apologize.

They both looked at each other and rolled their eyes like he needn't have bothered. In that moment, Albus knew he would do anything for these two.

They tested that by making him pour out all of his Calming Draught in a lavatory sink. He couldn't help but think of how much he hated going back to the panic attacks and nerves. In a short time, he had really come to rely on those potions, so he managed to keep one of them just in case.

After he was done, Rose placed her hands on his shoulders and looked Albus in the eye. "If I ever find out you're abusing Calming Draught again, I will tell your parents. You can hate me the rest of your life, but I love my Albus, nerves and all. We'll be your Calming Draught, okay?"

She glared at Scorpius. He looked back confused, until she mouthed something to him.

"Erm, yes. Stay out of the Calming Draught, Albus. You're a mental little git, but we like you that way."

Rose glared at him, he shrugged, confused. "What?"

Violence might have ensued, but Dominique rushing up interrupted them.

"Where have you two been? I checked your classes. This wasn't the right day to skive off!"

Dom wasn't one to lecture, so this outburst made Albus nervous, his hand immediately sought out the pocket where he had secreted the last Calming Draught. But his hand fell away at Dom's next words.

"It's Granddad Weasley! They rushed him to St. Mungo's with chest pain this morning! You know his heart's not the best. Everybody else has already Flooed from the Headmaster's."

Scorpius urged them to leave immediately; his face had a strange expression.

Albus and Rose had run all the way up to the Headmaster's, Felix and Felicis didn't even bicker as they let them by.

-

Less than an hour later, Albus was sitting with his parents. His head rested on his mother's lap, and she was running her hand comfortingly through his hair. James on his other side was standing with Fred, looking pale. It seemed that something like this could unite even two bickering brothers, like he and James.

Albus was watching one of his favourites. It was the Lily, Louis, and Hugo Show.

The younger threesome were different, to say the least, individually, but when you put them together, it was pure hilarity.

Over by where Uncle Ron, Aunt Hermoine and Rose were quietly catching up, Lily was brushing her thick red hair and chatting cheerfully about how she was sure Granddad was fine, flighty and impervious as usual. Her equally red-haired cousin, Hugo, was grim (no surprise there), wondering if there was a family plot to bury him in, and would he suffer before the inevitable. Their strawberry-blond cousin, Louis, the best-looking boy out of all the Weasley grandkids (a fact of which he was well aware), was speculating about how he would look in black.

The rest of the uncles and aunts were arrayed all over the waiting room, the St. Mungo's staff had gone through enough Weasley family emergencies to know, yes people did have these many children, so they didn't check ID's this time.

Albus noticed among his uncles, between Bill and Percy, was Uncle Charlie, staring at Albus strangely.

The silence was broken when Aunt Audrey, a Head Healer at St. Mungo's, breezed in. Percy's wife had short curly brown hair above twinkling blue eyes behind fashionable wire rim frames. She was very attractive, which led to speculation about Percy's love potion brewing abilities at every family gathering.

She had on her ever-present smile. She clasped her hands demurely in front of her, and cleared her throat. Waiting until all eyes were on her, she quipped, "Does anyone here know where your Granddad got a hold of haggis?"

Percy let out a sigh of relief, which was followed by a burst of jubilation.

"It was just heart burn," Audrey stated with a smile, anticlimactically.

Suddenly, there was a very familiar loud voice from down the hallway.

"YOU SAW A MUGGLE VENDOR ON THE STREET SELLING IT AND JUST HAD TO TRY SOME?"

Audrey winked. "Since the kids are home, and Uncle Charlie is here, I think we all should adjourn to The Burrow, for lunch at the very least. Molly and Arthur are most likely going to be a while."

They all nodded and began to file toward the St. Mungo's visitor's Floo. Waiting his turn in the fireplace, Albus saw Uncle Percy making arrangements with the insurance wizard. That was his uncle, always working behind the scenes, unnoticed, taking care of his family. Just one of the reasons Albus admired him so much. James' favourite was Uncle George, and Lily simply adored Aunt Looney, but if Albus were to be asked, he would have to say his favourite relative was his Uncle Percy. Oh, he knew that his uncle didn't have much of a sense of humour, and wasn't extremely exciting to talk to otherwise, but something about the bespeckled, tall, slender, nearly bald man made Albus feel safe like no one else outside of his father.


A bit later after they had all settled in at the Burrow, Grandma Molly and a very chastened Granddad arrived after he was discharged with Aunt Audrey and Uncle Percy in tow. By that time, it was nearly lunch.

It wasn't long before the grandchildren were being fussed over by Grandma Weasley.

She especially grilled Albus and Rose about what happened last Tuesday. She then shook her head in disgust at how dangerous that school was getting, and then bustled off to oversee the cooking.

His Aunt Audrey grabbed Albus in a bone-crushing hug like she hadn't seen him for years, but that was her way. Uncle Percy, however, just nodded solemnly, shook his hand and informed him that the ministry was looking closely into Bludger safety so that such incidents would not happen again. Aunt Audrey comically rolled her eyes behind his back, causing Albus to smile, especially when he saw Uncle Percy wink at him, showing that he was aware of it.

Aunt Angelina arrived last with Uncle George, having stopped by the shop first, accompanied with the usual fanfare in which he was accustomed. He had a brand-new fake ear to show off. This one shot out, rotated with sparklers, and sang the Tri-W theme song that appeared in most of their advertisements. "Now I can disgust and offend and advertise at the same time!" Uncle George declared with a chuckle. They all had a laugh about it, that was Uncle George for you!

After that spectacle, the luncheon began.

Uncle Charlie was, of course, the star. All conversation seemed to centre on him, and then suddenly the tide of conversation took an abrupt turn.

The question seemed harmless enough. Uncle Bill asked, "Surprised to be back in England before Christmas, Charlie?"

Charlie looked right at Albus. Albus' blood ran cold.

"Oh, this is my second time in less than a week. I heard my nephew was playing Quidditch in his first year. First time that's happened since his dad. So I came up to make sure he's prepared."

They all stared at Charlie in shock, all except Albus' mum and dad, who looked like Albus felt. Grandma Weasley was staring daggers at them.

An hour later, after the dust settled, with Grandma Weasley banging around the kitchen fixing dessert, and loudly mumbling to under her breath, but loud enough for the entire family to hear, about that "Quidditch Madness" she would never understand. James' made the declaration. "Albus can't play Quidditch, he would have to actually touch a broom!"

Aunt Angelina responded by kicking James' shin under the table, she had had plenty of practice over the years. She simultaneously sent her son, Fred, a warning glare. James rubbed his shin sullenly, but looked smug.

Charlie, who had evidentially been waiting for such an opportunity, dropped a bomb. "Not only can Albus fly, but I am willing to wager six Galleons, against all takers, that he can out fly any student in this room."

They all gaped at him.

Albus tried to send Uncle Charlie a look, but his uncle was staring at the one most likely to take that wager. Uncle Percy.

It was well known in the family that Percy doted on his daughters. At almost every family get-together in the last three years, he had managed to bring up that they were the best scoring Chaser duo that Hogwarts had seen in quite a while. They were every bit as good as he said they were, but he was known to have a gambler's streak, which meant he was ripe for such a bet.

Uncle Percy's eyes rested on Albus. "Sorry, Alby, but I've got to take these odds. Only if you feel up too it, though."

Albus stowed his hand to his pocket feeling for the last potion. The pocket was empty. Rose, who was suddenly beside him, looked guilty. "You can do it Albus. You don't need a potion. Just believe in yourself like I do, you dumb prat!" she whispered.

They were all looking at Albus, his stomach gave a lurch, and his hands were trembling, but he thought, A Badger may never make a challenge, but they would do their best to meet it. Besides, it's only one of the sisters after all.

Albus nodded, and the race was on.

-

That was how Albus wound up on the edge of the orchard with an old Comet 290 beside both Molly and Lucy with simular models He glared at his Uncle Charlie, silently repenting having ever apologizing for sticking a wand in his face. His uncle just looked back with a wry smile on his face. It was his idea to double the bet to include both sisters, after all.

Albus' dad had refused James' request for money to bet against Albus, and he and Albus' mum were nodding their encouragement, knuckles white, as they held each other. James and Fred were making dire predictions under their breath while Dom and Roxy glared at them.

His little sister, Lily, standing with Granddad and Uncle Ron chipper as always, called out, "Don't die, Albus. I'd miss you something awful!" Hugo not to be out done yelled, "And don't hit any birds. It's their orchard too you know!" Louis joined in the fun, "If you die, don't hit your face. You want to look good for ze funeral!"

"Thanks, guys," Albus responded lamely.

His Granddad Weasley, whose baldhead was safely tucked under a straw hat, gave Albus a wink of encouragement.

Suddenly Albus thought about what could have happened today. What could he be doing right now, instead? If his beloved Grandad had passed away he, didn't know how he would have handled it. That thought finally put this race into perspective. There were bigger stakes in this world than pride.

He stared ahead his focus renewed.

Uncle Bill pulled out his wand, and with a flick sent sparks into the air.

Albus kicked off a split second behind the sisters, both with Impervius charms in front of their mouths so they could blow bubbles in the wind, with their ever-present gum.

Their long, flowing reddish hair trailed behind them as they took the lead.

Albus' brain went into top gear as the trees whirled by on both sides. The possibilities were flooding through his faculties.

Molly and Lucy were fast, definitely faster than him, so he wasn't going to outrun them. They worked together like only twins can, so trying to fake them out wasn't going to help him get by. They were also fanatically competitive, so Albus couldn't imagine either of them taking pity on him. To add insult to injury they had momentum.

Competitive. Sisters. Momentum.

Those words rang in his ear, as an idea suddenly took root.

Albus slowed down.

They were close to the end of the orchard and the turning around point, and they were expanding their lead. As they spun around and headed past him on the way back and saw how far back he was they grinned at each other. Albus waited until they had passed, then suddenly kicked his broom into high gear, using his newfound ability to make tight turns to gain speed on the way back.

His plan relied on two things happening, them forgetting about him, and that they would act like sisters.

Sure enough, as he began to close on them, they began to attempt to get ahead. They bumped each other for position and were so focused on each other that they didn't realize that they were losing momentum. Albus closed faster than he would have thought possible, suddenly they realised he was closing, and moved to block him. If they managed to do that, he would lose. If he went high, he would lose, there was no room below, and if he tried to go around he would lose momentum as well. So he lowered his head called for every bit of speed he could muster and aimed for the middle. They didn't expect him to try to split between and he managed to get his stick in, soon it became a battle of nerve and, tenacity.

I don't have the Gryffindor nerve, but nobody is more tenacious than a Badger! Albus declared to himself. He lowered himself onto the broom and put all the will he had into it gritting his teeth from the effort, managing to get the tip of his broom out front just as they crossed the line.

His relatives were cheering; especially Uncle Percy, who had yet to notice how steamed Aunt Audrey was that he lost yet another bet. Uncle Charlie gave him thumbs up. Fred and James looked stunned as Dom and Roxie taunted them. Albus' parents hugged each other and cheered right along, while Grandma Molly shook her head in distain, barely disguising her smile slipping an arm around an exuberant Grandad's waist and giving him a peck on the cheek.

Later on after things had settled a bit, Albus was sitting outside in a circle of chairs in the newly de-gnomed garden with the rest, as they reminisced about old times.

His attention was peaked when Charlie remarked, "You know. I remember carrying Albus out of that very orchard the day he had that broom accident, that boy has come quite a ways, hasn't he now."

Albus startled, and looked across the circle at his uncle. Their eyes met. In that moment, he saw a glimmer of amusement in his uncle's eyes and Albus suddenly realized that maybe there were two persons in his mysterious dream, his uncle didn't realize it, but he did.

Uncle Charlie winked, and Albus returned it with on of his own smiling, feeling better about it all somehow. The dream was still strange, but it helped to know it was actually Uncle Charlie he was talking to that night. The questions still remained, but at least he knew that much.

Later, they headed back to Hogwarts, his Uncle Charlie slipped up and gave him a big hug, and using the close contact to tell Albus, "I had to get the price of that broom back somehow. I'm proud of you, boy."

"Could you be a little less proud from now on?" Albus replied slyly.

Charlie barked out a loud laugh and ruffled Albus' recently re-combed hair, much to his chagrin.

Before he stepped into the Floo, Albus gave his Granddad a big hug. The old guy's whiskers were rough against Albus' cheek. "Watch out for those street vendors, Granddad," Albus told him with a chuckle. His Granddad's blue eyes twinkled as he murmured under his breath, "Well, don't tell your Grandmum, but there is this nice fellow, down by the Thames that is doing some marvellous things with Halibut and Chips."

Albus rolled his eyes, and hugged him even harder, thinking about how he almost lost his kind-hearted, bumbling, lovable Granddad today.

There are worse things that can happen to me in this world.

End Notes:

Sly_One is not JK Rowling! Trust me I check my ATM!

If you have yet to see the Trailer that OliveOil_Med made for this story...please go to my profile and click the website link! You'll be glad you did!

SLy

Chapter 14 Quidditch Tryouts and Other Tragedies by Sly One
Author's Notes:
Will Albus make the Hufflepuff Quidditch Team?
 
On the day of tryouts, Albus was both nervous and excited.

He and his cousins had returned the night before in time for the evening session. He and Rose had missed double Charms earlier, but Professor Patil met with them in her office and gave them a run down of the lesson, looked at their progress, and assigned some extra work to catch up. When they caught up with Scorpius at dinnertime, he asked after their Grandfather, and then was quiet the rest of the night. Albus noted the behaviour, but he was learning to let his new friend have his space.

That morning, Diana Delaney, a dark skinned girl with hair up in elaborate plaits, had been stationed in the Common Room to oversee the sign up for prospective players. In a slight Scottish Brogue, she instructed everyone wanting to try out to come down to the Quidditch Pitch that evening at five o'clock.

When Scorpius and Albus signed on, she did not look impressed.

As the owls arrived, Nox dropped off a package from home. Inside were some brand-new black Hungarian Horntail hide Chaser gloves, with a good luck note from his dad and mum.

To their surprise, the same mature tawny owl dropped off a package instead of a Howler for Scorpius.

Albus tried not to look curious but failed miserably. Rose even perked up as they watched Scorpius open the package carefully, as if it had a bomb inside.

"Go ahead, it's not going to bite," Rose said impatiently.

Scorpius sighed and went ahead and tore into it, opening the box and staring at the contents. He pulled out two gloves; they were less padded than Chaser gloves, and had a different sort of hide. He stared at them and read the attached note. Then handed them over to Albus. "We both know who was behind this. Why don't you wear them?" he said with venom. Without another word, he took his things in hand and walked out.

Albus and Rose exchanged a look.

Albus pulled the package over to them, and read the note.


Dear Scorpius,

I wanted to wish you luck in your tryout today. Some Seekers prefer to catch the Snitch barehanded, but I've always found that a good pair of gloves improves your chances dramatically. I know your grandfather has forbidden anyone connected to the Potters from helping you directly, but seeing as I am not connected to the Potters, and your family owns stock in my professional team, consider this a perk of ownership. These gloves are Norwegian Ridgeback hide, which is more articulated and flexible than other dragon hides, I wouldn't use anything else. I'm sure you'll agree.

Ridley Bartlesby

Seeker for Puddlemere United

Rose perused the note. "Is this Bartlesby fellow any good?"

Albus gave her a look like she was daft. "Only the best professional seeker flying right now. He caught the snitch for eight straight matches this past year!"

Rose looked unimpressed but she looked at the gloves with interest. "These are really nice, I wonder why Scorpius stormed off?"

Albus had a hunch, but he didn't feel free to tell Rose. After a moment's thought he waved Nox over, who was still there munching some toast. He jotted a quick note to his dad on the back of Scorpius' note and sent the owl off.

He ran both boxes back down to the Cellar, and left Scorpius' box on his bed with a drowsy Kublai, who gave him a tolerant stare but allowed his ears to be scratched.

He made it to double Herbology with the Slytherins a little late and was surprised to see that Scorpius wasn't sitting beside Rose. He was over near some Slytherins who didn't look friendly. Cormac, who was seated at the same table, took offence to something being said, spun around and lit them up under his breath, most likely with some epithets he had learned from his 600 year old Great Great Grandda, whatever he said the larger boys backed off abruptly.

Uncle Neville's lesson and the creepy History of Magic class sped by with Scorpius still keeping his distance. Rose had tried to confront him about it between the two classes, but he kept his head down and refused to be baited.

She was quite upset when dinner rolled around and they got the same treatment.

Albus just ate some his potato soup and watched for Nox. He was rewarded when the elegant bird swept in and dropped off a letter. All in for breath, the bird nibbled some of Albus' crackers before nipping his finger affectionately, and headed back to the owlery for a well-deserved rest.

Albus read the letter, and nodded to himself. Rose was glaring at him, not liking to be left out. He gave her an apologetic look before he took the letter down to where his friend eating by himself, brooding.

Albus sat beside him and slid the letter over. He knew what was on it, but he let Scorpius read it in silence.


Dear Albus,

While I am glad that someone has taken an interest in encouraging Scorpius, you are right, it wasn't me, or your mum. I don't have the time to follow up on the letter's origin but just from reading, I can deduce a couple of things.

Firstly, whoever informed Bartlesby of the situation, knew that we have been forbidden to offer Scorpius any aid.

Secondly, the gloves were a very nice gift. Norwegian Ridgeback hide gloves are prized, and expensive. With all the young man has gone through in recent days, I hope you will encourage him to take the gift and use them. He will need all the advantage he can get.

Yours, anytime you need me,

Dad

Albus said, "As you can see, that gift wasn't from my parents. Your Malfoy pride will still be intact, if you choose to use them."

Scorpius slid the letter back over to Albus. He wouldn't look him in the face. "Do you ever get tired of always being right?" he said finally.

Albus grinned. "Not yet."

Scorpius favoured him with a tolerant smile. They walked back over to Rose together.

She was angrily ignoring them both. After they waited her out in silence, she broke. "Is everything all jolly well and good now?"

Albus looked at her innocently. "Whatever are you going on about?"

Scorpius joined in the fun. "I think Weasley's going mental."

She gave them a scathing look and left in a huff.

They immediately followed, catching up to her at the huge double door.

"Yes, everything's good now," Albus said.

Rose turned to Scorpius expectantly.

"Good, but not jolly good," Scorpius said. "Malfoys don't do jolly."

Her lips twitched. "Not even on Christmas?"

The trio sniggered.

When Albus and Scorpius arrived at the Pitch less than an hour later, Scorpius was curling his fingers in the new gloves.

There were a lot more Hufflepuffs flying around than Albus thought there would be. Most of the students were tossing a Quaffle back and forth loosening up, candidates for Chaser. Albus' heart fell. He saw from Diana's face this morning he was already fighting an uphill battle.

Scorpius was one of only four trying out for Seeker. Albus noticed there didn't seem to be very many Beaters and no Keepers. From what Teddy told him, Roderick Yates had Keeper sewn up, but he wondered whom the starting Beaters were.

Diana was in her yellow Quidditch robes, she blew the whistle to get everyone's attention. "Alright, I am Diana Delaney, the Team Captain, for those of you who are attempting to make the team as Chaser for the first time, we have a very simple system." She pointed up at the rings. Roderick Yates was already up there doing some warm ups, he looked calm and confident. "If you want to make starter, you've got to score on Roderick." She waited for the groans and murmurs of dissent to die down. "As you know, we have one starting Chaser slot available and one Seeker. I am one of the Chasers. The other Chaser was our Seeker last year, Cornelius Hamilton. I would like to introduce you but evidentially he couldn't be bothered to show up today." She let out a sigh of resignation before continuing. We have yet to find a Seeker so since there are fewer candidates, we will try those out first.

She walked over to where Scorpius was standing with three other older students, two boys and a girl. She sent all four after the Snitch. It wasn't long before the whole group knew who the Seeker was going to be. Even on a slower Twigger, Scorpius was faster to the Snitch. Albus was surprised at that broom, it seemed to faster than he would have thought. Scorpius found a way to use the superior manoeuvrability to his advantage pulling off a brilliant inverse loop catching the Snitch at the apex. Diana forgot to blow her whistle as the students broke out in applause. Scorpius landed and walked over to Diana, handing her the Snitch with one of the few genuine smiles Albus had seen from him. The other Seeker candidates all walked over and sat on the bleachers dejectedly, not even waiting for the official word.

"Right," Diana said breathlessly, "That leaves us with one spot to fill."

Scorpius gave Albus thumbs up as he walked by on his way to the bleachers. Albus tried to look confident, but he was fairly sure he looked ghastly.

Diana lined them up and blew her whistle sending them at Roderick one by one. The tall boy focused in on each Chaser with such intensity that he immediately intimidated them, causing more than one errant toss just from his glare. Albus tried to evaluate Roderick's Keeping, looking for any weakness, only to find that he was every bit as good as Teddy claimed.

Soon it was his turn. Diana gave him a dismissive look. "Go ahead Potter, and I still have to assign the reserves."

That white-hot anger started boiling to the surface as Albus grabbed the Quaffle from her hands and started into the air. He was heading into striking range, but he suddenly braked his broom and swept it sideways, using the momentum as it spun around, like Uncle Charlie showed him, his arm whipped out in a blur. The Quaffle rocketed toward the leftmost ring, Roderick was caught flat-footed and almost guessed wrong, but at the last second his hand deflected Albus' toss with a loud pop.

Albus sat on his broom, feeling letdown. He had taken his best shot, but it just wasn't good enough. Roderick beat him down, said something to Diana, and walked by nodding to the other students as he left.

When Albus made it to the ground, she was giving him a bemused look. "Nice shot, Potter."

Albus shrugged. "It didn't go in."

Diana chuckled. "Well, seeing as Roderick is now heading to the Hospital Wing because you broke his hand, I think we can make an exception. Welcome to the team."

Albus' elation was tempered by his guilt. "I'm sorry. Is his hand going to be alright?"

Diana nodded. "Pomfrey will have him sorted, don't worry. Why don't you go sit with your friend? I'll introduce you to the rest of the starters after I get the reserve assigned.

He walked over and Scorpius clapped him on the back. Shortly afterwards, Diana walked over to them. "Let me introduce you to the rest of the team."

Albus recognized the two blond haired girls with the muscles from the night of the sorting as he joined them. They were seated with a crew-cut boy with a slight build and a dent in his chin. He stared at Scorpius and Albus with a disdainful sneer.

"Glad you could make it, Corny." Diana called as she arrived.

He glowered at her. "It's Cornelius, and have we scraped the bottom of the lake or what? First years?"

Diana's expression was unrepentant. "They are the best for the job. If you had arrived early enough you would have seen that."

He shrugged. "I don't know why I can't play Seeker again this year. I at least have a decent broom."

Diana's tone became icy. "I am hoping that I will have a Seeker this year who will catch the Snitch deliberately rather than get it caught in his robes while ducking a Bludger, then roll around on the Pitch floor screaming like a little girl to get it out!"

His face turned red at the sniggers. "That happened only once!"

Diana smiled wickedly. "Because that's the closest you came to the Snitch in two years."

Cornelius shut his mouth. She turned to Albus and Scorpius apologetically. "He's maybe the best flyer we've got in Hufflepuff, even if he is a royal berk most of the time and afraid of Bludgers."

Even though it was Diana that had put him in his place, Cornelius glared at Scorpius and Albus as if they were the cause.

Diana indicated the other two girls. "This is Violet and Valencia Chertov."

The two girls smiled warmly.

Diana chucked. "Don't let them fool you, they are known at Hogwarts as "The Violence Sisters." In just two years, they have been penalised more often than any Beaters in School History. I know. I looked."

The girls looked proud.

"We are going to cut down on our penalties this year. Right, girls?"

The one Diana called Violet, with the purple ribbons in her hair, nodded emphatically. "Yes ve vill change our vays."

Diana explained, "They are from Belarus, Krum brought them here after they were banned from the Quidditch Pitches all over Eastern Europe. I think they are related to him. Violet speaks better English, but Valencia is more vicious with a Beater bat."

She turned to the sisters. "This is Albus and Scorpius. You are not to harm them, they are your team-mates."

Much to Albus' chagrin, when Violet translated that to Valencia the girl with the pink ribbons actually looked disappointed.

Diana gave them their first practice time, which was going to be next Tuesday, and dismissed everyone. Cornelius glared at them as he passed. It was going to be an interesting year.

Albus and Scorpius were walking toward the tunnel when he saw Rose frantically waving them over. They traded worried glances before joining her.

Free flying time had started; several students were taking advantage zooming around overhead.

When they came into range, Rose started speaking so fast Albus had to slow her down.

"It's awful! I don't know how he and Fred did it. You know they're not innocent. They must have found a way to sneak around."

"Wait. Rose, what are you talking about."

"It's James. Your parents told him if he made it to the end of last year with no more detentions. They'd get him a broom if he made Quidditch."

Albus knew about this, so he shrugged. "So?"

At that precise moment, they all had to dive flat as someone with a broom buzzed them from overhead. Albus glared at what he knew must be his brother, but then he realized that the older boy was flying on a bright red broom, unlike any he had seen before, at least in person.

It was a SkyBolt.

Rose was livid. "He's the new Gryffindor Seeker. The company Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny got the broom from isn't even on the market yet. They wanted Uncle Harry to try it out and give them an endorsement. He gave it to James. I don't know what they're called.

Scorpius was staring at the distant boy flying circles around anyone else in the air. "SkyBolt."

She snapped her fingers. "Yes. That's what Dom told me it was called, how did you know?"

Scorpius smiled bitterly. "Just a good guess."

Albus said emphatically, "Not good."

End Notes:

I am not Mrs. Rowling...that would require expensive surgery, and I like my bits where they are thankyou! :)

SLy

Chapter 15 Duelling Before You Know How by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Albus' first taste of duelling, will he survive it?

Once Quidditch tryouts concluded, things settled into a groove for Albus, finally: going to classes, doing homework in the Cellar common room, Quidditch practice on Friday evenings after Slytherin.

To Albus' chagrin, Roq MacNast turned out to be the captain of Slytherin. A fact of which he informed Albus just before the first Hufflepuff Quidditch practice, as Slytherin left the field.  MacNast tapped his Beater bat against his palm as he informed Albus that Teddy wouldn't be on the Quidditch pitch to protect him this time.

Violet and Valencia strolled up. "You are recovered from da Bludger to da head last year, ya? No more double vision?" Violet asked sweetly.

Roq left without a word.

Albus later found out that Valencia carved the skull-like faces of anyone she had ever knocked off their broom into her Beater bat with astonishing skill. He was able to pick out Roq's shaved head and goatee out of the disturbing collection. In addition, one looked very much like his cousin Fred.

Diana turned out to be quite the strategist, and was very thorough in her scouting reports, which Albus and Scorpius were required to memorise. The document wasn't very encouraging!

Ravenclaw Quidditch Team:

Ravenclaw was the winner of the Quidditch cup the previous year.  They have a deep veteran squad with good teamwork and clever formations.  They are in the running this year because of overall team balance.

Defence:

The Keeper and Captain is Eleanor Ferraro. She is success driven, and has solid skills. The Beaters are Ashton Gully and Isla Petit. Ashton is hen-pecked for such a big boy. He does whatever Eleanor or Isla tell him to do, resulting in him being indecisive. Isla is the backbone of the Ravenclaw team calling many of the formations. Due to her smaller size, she is accurate, but not hard-hitting.

Offence:

The Chasers are Elliot Durnin, Jay Usher, and Holly Ware. Jay may be odd looking with his goggles and spiky hair, but he is the highest scoring Chaser. Jay is very aggressive and is not above body blocking, he acts more like another defensive agent. Holly is deceptive, she seems totally out of the game, but then she shows up with the Quaffle and scores three in a row.

Seeker:

Lilith LeBlanc is the Seeker. She rarely talks, and seems to float rather than walk; they have checked her for a pulse more than once. When she views the Snitch, she'll let out a piercing shriek as she dives. It's unsettling, but listen for it. You'll have seconds to get to the Snitch before her. Her nickname is "The Banshee"

Slytherin Quidditch Team:

Fourth place for the last three years and not seeming to care, this team is vicious, physical and violent. When you play them, you are in for a war. The only team that was able to match them blow for blow the previous year was Hufflepuff. When we met, it was combat and it was the most penalized game in Hogwarts history.  They are still not sure how two little blond-haired girls knocked out their entire starting chaser line, but having added some scoring this year, they are looking to get revenge.

Defence:

The Keeper is Max Gates. He is very large and has long arms, blocks the Quaffle from sheer menace; he has clotheslined in-coming chasers in the past. The Beaters are Roq McNast, and Aiden Gallo. Roq is the Captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team and as nasty as they come. Aiden is deadly accurate, and moves like a vulture; out of the two Beaters he is the more deadly.

Offence:

The Chasers are Paige Hawkins, Jakob Ackerman and Oliver Huer. Paige is the entire reason that Slytherin thinks they can move up in the standings this year. When the Chertoffs knocked out the starting Chaser line in that blood-soaked last game, she came in from the reserve and scored three times. Jakob likes to run into things.  Almost to the exclusion of the game sometimes, the favourite Slytherin manoeuvre is for him to run full bore into the opposing team's Beater line, and sometimes Keeper, with the other Chasers coming in behind him. Oliver doesn't really care too much for scoring, he wants to knock somebody off of their broom, has little recollection of the game the previous year after Violet and Valencia nailed him with a rare double Bludger hit to the head.

Seeker:

Leon Sloan is the Slytherin Seeker and the smallest member of the Slytherin team. In spite of his slight build, he has muscles packed on. Not willing to do the Snitch searching, he will track the other Seeker relentlessly looking to block them and get their first; he will grab a fistful of robes.

Gryffindor Quidditch Team:

A Weasley-heavy squad who were dominate the last few years with the previous year being the only exception.  With a Potter as Seeker, three Weasley Chasers and a living Bludger as one of the Beaters, they are balanced, poised and ready to claw their way back to the top of the heap. I'm not sure who can stop them! 

Defence:

The new Keeper is Grayson Wood. Keeper was Gryffindor's only weakness the past few years. Grayson's father is one of the best professional Keepers in recent memory. I am surprised they got him to play; he didn't appear particularly keen on Quidditch for his first three years.

The Beaters are Fred Weasley, and Fergus Finnigan. Fred is the team captain. He is dangerous with a Beater bat; knocked off his broom last year early on in our match with Gryffindor, he got back on and finished. He is the only other Beater I have ever known the sisters to respect. Fergus is hyperactive and very accurate. Fred is more likely to make you wish you were never born, but Fergus can knock your head off from half the pitch away.

Offence:

The Chasers are Molly and Lucy Weasley, and Dominique Weasley. Molly and Lucy I put together because they are one unit. I have never seen two Chasers work together the way these girls do, the passes are pinpoint and sometimes one will pass to the spot where the other one will be! They are our biggest Chaser headache this year. Dominique is an unknown. I'm not sure how good she is. However, she is a Weasley. I'll have to see if there was some nepotism involved in Fred picking her.

Seeker:

James Potter is another unknown, but Merlin, who cares if he's good? He has a ruddy SkyBolt!

-          

When Albus read the report at breakfast, Rose was aghast. "Dominique is playing Chaser? But she can't stand Fred and James!"

Albus saw his cousin across the hall sitting with Molly and Lucy; she looked up and met his eyes, then turned away quickly.

"In her defence, she doesn't look proud of herself," he replied.

-

As the weeks progressed and September led into early October, the castle got positively drafty. In several of the classes, they saw their breath escape in plums of steam: with two exceptions: Herbology was climate-controlled, and History of Magic with its oil lamps and covered windows was almost stifling. The warmth of that room, coupled with the soft couches, caused more than one head to nod. When that person woke up, they would find Professor Hemophilias staring at them. That normally ended any thought of a nap.

Some daft upperclassmen girls had taken a liking to the vampire, and were circulating a petition to give him more freedom. They called themselves Hemophiliacs.

Albus took one amused look at the petition and then remarked to the eager girl who had asked him to sign, "Are you all mental? He would drain the lot of you like a case of butterbeer!"

She got a dreamy look in her eyes. "Do you really think so?"

As she wandered off, Scorpius stared at her retreating form. "That was disturbing."

Rose smiled. "Well, I don't know. I do think that Hemophilias is kind of a romantic figure."

Albus and Scorpius gaped at her.

"For a blood sucking fiend of the night, I mean," she amended.

-

It wasn't long before the trio settled into a comfortable routine with their homework. Albus was the Potions man, Rose was the queen of Transfiguration, and Scorpius caused Rose to mime gagging more than once when he pointed out that he was the "Charming" one.

All three loved Herbology.

Albus never knew what he was in for when he walked into the Arboretum, all he could be certain of was that it would be interesting. The Slytherins sneered at everything and Kian Kerry still glared, but they were just as wide-eyed as everyone else was when Professor Longbottom pulled out a new specimen or took them into a new environment.

Cormac Collins seemed to be Longbottom's student favourite after a little while, with a natural grasp of the subject. Soon his bedside table in the bunkroom stayed covered with rare fauna for extra credit.

Albus still struggled in Transfiguration and Charms, but he was showing steady progress. When he accepted his wand in his dream, he was making a choice that affected him in the real world. He no longer feared his wand, no longer felt frightened of the tingle he felt in his wand arm. He had actually begun to polish it every day; with all of the carvings, it was a job. While doing so he realised that around the base, there were some tiny characters. Rose told him they were Runes, but even after scouring the library with Scorpius, she never could find out what kind.

Defence Against the Dark Arts was becoming the class to dread. Professor Pharrel never seemed to stray too far from the syllabus and they never touched their wands. They learned about some defensive spells, but it was mostly dry theory. Because of this, Friday afternoons seemed to drag on.

Things did not improve between Albus and the Gryffindors. He was still hearing many snarky comments, and endured a couple of pranks. Slytherins were, of course, Slytherins, as a point they didn't get along with anybody. The Ravenclaws, however, were a polite bunch and they got along pretty well with the Hufflepuffs.

Albus even got some fashion advice from one of the French girls, Aimee Couture, who was aiming to design dress robes when she left Hogwarts.

"You know Hufflepuff uses yellow az zer primary Quidditch uniform colour, but black would be zo very much better, no?"

Albus mentioned that fact to Diana Delaney at practice. She nodded absently, and told him to get back to the Quaffle-pass drill.

The three friends visited Hagrid a couple more times, and got a chance to have dinner at the Longbottoms one Friday in their private quarters at school,  getting better acquainted with Olivia Abbot there. She was a sweet girl, but a bit shy. Rose began to show up at the breakfast table with her, but she rarely contributed anything to the conversation. Gas usually made up the difference.

The Howlers for Scorpius were more infrequent, and a couple of times he received packages from his mum. He still had yet to hear from his father, and he tried not to show it, but every time Albus and Rose received letters from home, he got a bit broody.

They arrived at DADA one Friday to find a notice on the board. 

Duelling Club season begins tonight sign up now!

Professor Pharrel made mention of it in his class, before launching into yet another dry monologue about the seven uses for Shield spells.

"I was brought to Hogwarts for my duelling expertise. I am the Master of the Duelling Club. If you want some more practical knowledge of these spells, we have been learning about. Feel free to sign up, even if you don't know very much. I will pair you with someone near your competence level."

Albus, Rose and Scorpius exchanged excited looks. Their names were the first ones on the list.

They arrived that night promptly at seven. The large open hall on the forth-level east-wing was already full. There were a lot of upperclassmen, but not as many as Albus anticipated. He saw several students his own year, however. The Gryffindors-including the two blond-haired boys that had become his chief tormentors, Allen Baldwin and Callum Weigand were staring at him menacingly, wands already out.

Albus remembered his father's last words on the platform at King's Cross. Don't duel anyone till you've learned how. He wondered if he was going to be able to obey his father's admonishment.

Professor Pharrel arrived late, as usual, and began to pair up the first years. The upperclassmen already paired off and began to practice wand movements.

Rose and Scorpius paired off immediately, since they were so far ahead of Albus in wand work. Cormac and Gas stood together. In spite of his earlier fears, Albus remained standing by himself. It seemed the rumours of his wand's potential for destruction had made the rounds. Professor Pharrel was about to send him to the side for the duration of the lesson when a voice called out, "I'll pair up with Potter."

Albus turned and his stomach gave a lurch. Strolling confidently toward him and the professor was Liam Donovan.

"Um. Professor, I don't mind sitting this one out," Albus mumbled.

Professor Pharrel beamed. "Nonsense, my boy. You two will work out just fine."

The lesson was quick as the Professor gave a demonstration of Expelliarmus. They all practiced the wand movement accompanied by the sounds of the upperclassmen duelling.

Albus looked straight ahead, as he mumbled the incantation to himself, making the wand motion. He felt a little self-conscious trying to cast his father's signature spell. Liam Donovan just stared, not even bothering with the practice. His arms crossed, as though he seemed to be waiting for something.

Professor Pharrel blew a whistle for attention.

"Now you students practice disarming each other. I don't expect anyone to duel just yet. However, if you so happen to be successful, then by all means see if you can disarm your partner first. That is the first step in learning to duel. If anyone needs me, I'll be over here, evaluating. Good luck."

He bustled off to the other side of the hall.

Since Liam showed no interest in beginning, Albus just watched as the other students began trying to disarm each other. Gas managed it rather quickly, but he held his wand out for Cormac, giving encouragement. Rose and Scorpius managed to get each other's wands to wiggle, but not much beyond that. The other students seemed to be experiencing various stages of success.

Albus waited in silence for Liam to begin. He wasn't going to antagonize the boy if it was at all possible. Suddenly, Liam turned his head; his creepy silver eyes studied Albus like an insect swat.

"Are you ready, Potter?"

Albus decided to try to get along. He held out his hand to the boy. "Albus."

"What?"

"My name is Albus."

Liam gave him a scathing look, as if he was being daft. "I know that."

"Why call me Potter?"

"We're not friends."

"Do you want to be?"

There was the barest hesitation, and then Liam murmured, "No." Liam then turned to Albus; his simple black-wood wand was in his hand. "Prepare to duel, Potter."

Albus' jaw dropped in shock. "We're supposed to be trying to disarm each other."

His opponent gave a scary smile. "This is a Duelling Club, Potter, and I am here to duel."

Albus shook his head adamantly. "No. I don't know how. We could get hurt."

Liam's face went cold. "You might get hurt. Defend yourself."

Liam got into a duelling position similar to the one Albus had seen the older students use. Albus was about to call for the professor, but he knew it would be too late. His mind quested for any defensive spell that he could use. He thought of Rose and her Protego. He remembered how she had moved her hand in a clockwise motion before flicking it when she was showing it to Gas that day with the Bludgers. He only had one shot at it.

"Impedimenta!" Liam bellowed.

Albus squeaked, "Protego"

The jet of green light hit his shield and splintered.

Rather than being mollified, Liam seemed to be enraged. Albus didn't catch the stream of hexes and jinxes hurled at his shield it was all he could do to keep it up.

The students had gathered around in a circle, cheering them on. Rose and Scorpius were trying to help Albus, but they couldn't get close, with all of the rebounding spells. Albus was gritting his teeth with the effort, but he was feeling that familiar anger rising up from deep within him where it had its lair.

He heard Professor Pharrel's whistle from all the way across the hall. He was calling out something as he tried to get through the students, but Albus focused on holding his shield.

The volcanic rage that seemed to be a constant companion to Albus these days finally roared up from the depths of his soul. He readied himself to drop his shield and blast Liam back with a Reducto at the floor in front of him. He could see himself disarming him with Expelliarmus. He would stalk through the rubble, point both wands in Liam's face, and demanded he yield. He smiled fiercely as he prepared to make Liam wish he had never messed with Albus Potter!

Liam and Albus' wands shot out of their hands.

Professor Pharrel moved into their line of sight, holding their wands. "I think we have done enough for this evening. Class dismissed, except for Misters Potter and Donovan." The red-faced man was unusually pale. "I need a word with you, boys."

Albus didn't see Rose and Scorpius leave. He stared at the wand, in his trembling hand, a single question reverberating in his mind.

If Professor Pharrel hadn't stopped Liam, what would I have done?

-

The next bit was a blur to Albus as they followed Pharrel up the curling escalator stairs, past a bickering Felix and Felicis. They sat in the Headmaster's office. All of the portraits were awake and gossiping with each other, except Albus Dumbledore and Snape, who were studying the two boys. He got the feeling that Snape never participated unless he was talking to Dumbledore.

Albus sunk down in his chair as he watched Professor Pharrel wander around the office, nervously humming to himself. He wished the man would stop. It was getting rather annoying.

He glanced to the side at Liam. The other boy sat in his chair, stock-still, his hands on the arms staring straight ahead with a contented smile on his face. He even sits creepy!

The thing that frightened Albus the most wasn't that Liam attacked him, it was that he almost retaliated. He didn't think the other boy knew how close he came to being mopped up off the floor by Growltooth. The question he posed to himself in that strange dream crept into his mind.

What am I becoming?

This time, however, it was accompanied by another question.

Do I like what I am becoming?

"Thank you gentlemen for waiting."

They all turned as Professor Shacklebolt swept in. In his wake were all of the first year professors. Professor Bast glanced at Albus with kind eyes. Uncle Neville just looked conflicted.

Shacklebolt returned all of the portrait greetings, as he waited for everyone to settle.

His deep resonating voice broke into the silence. "What we have here, is a serious problem. We have two students who are a danger to themselves and other students, whether they mean to be or not. We need to address this now before some upperclassman, or another first year decides to try their luck."

The other professors nodded in agreement.

Shacklebolt waited a moment. "I am open to suggestions."

Professor Flint was the first to speak. "Well, the obvious choice would be to confiscate their wands."

Albus' heart fell. He had just gotten used to his wand, feeling pride in it. It had become a part of him as much as one of his arms. Liam looked like he was going to be ill.

Professor Bast broke the silence. "I have seen too much progress from Mr. Potter to concur with that. I think it would damage his schooling. After all, he was the one attacked.

Albus glanced over at Liam. He saw that the other boy was staring resignedly at the floor. Albus got one of his "creepy boy" moments. He realized that Liam thought there was no one to defend him. 

Albus cleared his throat. The professors turned to him.

"Actually," he squeaked, he cleared his throat again before continuing, "I was thinking that, if professor Pharrel hadn't have interfered, it would have been bad."

Professor Pharrel spoke up, "Bad? How do you mean."

Albus felt his heart up in his throat. "I have been having, uncontrolled fits of rage. I had one just before the professor stepped in. I was going to retaliate."

Liam scoffed.

Shacklebolt's eyes bored into Liam. "When I agreed to accept you at Hogwarts, it was with the understanding that you would blend in, and cause no trouble. Some of those rebounding hexes and jinxes you used could have hurt someone."

Liam dropped his eyes, staring at his hands.

"How did a first year learn all of that?" Professor Pharrel asked.

Shacklebolt shook his head, saving that discussion for a more private time.

Uncle Neville spoke up for the first time. "I think we have two different problems here, calling for two different solutions."

"Go on."

Neville studied the two boys a moment before continuing. "We have one boy here, who knows too much. In addition, we have another boy here who knows too little, both are now targets for anyone who wants to try them. My suggestion is this. Both of them need supervision, one-on-one, by a professor. Albus needs to learn how to defend himself. Liam needs to learn to resolve his conflicts without pulling out his wand. The professor in question, will keep the wand between classes, and determine if the student has a need in between. Later, if that professor decides that the student is in a better place, he may decide to give the wand back. We will let the school know, that since these two students are unable to defend themselves, any attacks on their person will be punished severely.

Shacklebolt leaned back in his chair. He glanced up at the centremost portrait and saw Albus Dumbledore nod. "Very well, who will be the mentors?"

Professor Patil spoke up first. "I would like to mentor Liam, if that is acceptable."

Professor Pharrel was about to speak up for Albus, but Albus was imagining days of boring, dry lessons, reading books and being right where he started.

"I would like Professor Longbottom to mentor me if that's alright," he blurted.

He saw a look of irritation cross Professor Pharrel's face before it settled back into its usual joviality.

Shacklebolt and Neville exchanged a look. Then both nodded.

Shacklebolt sighed wearily. "These two professors will determine your schedule, and take the wands with them tonight. Any failure to follow their instruction will result with immediate expulsion. I just can't take the risk of you two running loose with your abilities, unchecked. Am I understood?"

Albus and Liam nodded.

The two students rose and handed their wands to their perspective professor, and left.

They walked down the corridor in silence. Albus had to know.

"Why did you attack me?" he demanded.

Liam just favoured him with another unsettling smile. "At the Sorting, you were the only one of the sheep that realized that there was a wolf in their midst. Someday, I might need someone to stop me. I had to know if you were the one."

With that, he turned and walked up another hall.

Albus, stunned, watched him go.
End Notes:
In the HP universe I am just the street vendor, I'm not worthy to tie JK's shoe laces. In other words I am not JK!
Chapter 16 The Badger and the Snake by Sly One
Author's Notes:

Sorry gone so long. I will attempt to be more prompt from now on so help me Mods.

Albus was trying to remember his way back to the main staircase. He had been in Hogwarts a lot longer this time than when he last made this same trip, but he still got lost when he was not with Rose. He also kept watch for a certain Goblin's traps as he picked his way down.

His mind was a swirl of confusion, questions battering it back and forth.

Why did Liam choose me to be his nemesis? I've never done anything to him.

What did he mean, "Someday I may need someone to stop me". Is he mental?

What was with Shacklebolt saying, "When I agreed to let you come to this school". Your name put on the roll the day you are born, yeah?

"Mr Potter, might I have a word?"

Albus spun around at the voice, shock causing him to reach for a wand he no longer had. He expected to see a creepy, grinning Goblin, but instead, he was looking at a pleasant moonlit-glen landscape portrait with an unpleasant man staring at him arms crossed, his glinting black eyes peering though his greasy-looking bangs.

"Professor Snape?" Albus stammered.

The man sneered. "How very observant, if you don't mind, I have a question to ask. I had to endure all matter of niceties with other paintings to get here, including one dreadful ordeal with that awful gaggle of gossiping witches in the "Order of the Scourgifying Sisters Reunion" painting," he barely stifled a shudder, "so if you will pause a moment, I promise to be brief."

Albus sighed wearily. "What do you want to ask?"

"After our conversation the other day, I have had many hours to ponder the fact that your father named you for me. I really must know what he told you about me. I was rather content with the knowledge that he despised me, a feeling I have always returned with a comfortable level of mutuality. If you don't mind, I really must know."

Albus thought of several things he could say, some mean and malicious, but he decided on the truth.

"Actually he never really talked much about you. I was worried about being in Slytherin, and he told me that I bore the name of two former Headmasters of Hogwarts: one from Slytherin, and he was maybe the bravest man he ever knew. I've asked at other times, but he told me that his reasons were his own, and he would share them someday. He has several portraits in his office at the Aurors; maybe you can go ask him yourself. Goodnight, Professor."

"Goodnight…Albus."

Albus stopped. Did Snape just call him by his first name? He turned in time to see a swirl of black robes, and the man was gone.

Albus was so discomfited by his exchange with Snape, that he completely forgot about his duel, until he came through the door of the Cellar that is.

A group of persons in the common room immediately beset him.

Rose and Scorpius were waiting with the entire Quidditch team, minus Roderick. Diana began peppering him with questions. It was all his tired mind could do to field them. 

“Did you get suspended? If you are, how long until we get you back? Is everything still functional? How’s your arm?”

Finally, after Albus had wearily encouraged them that they would not be looking for a new Chaser, the Quidditch team left.

Rose glared at the closing doors scathingly. "Oh sure, he's fine. He's not hurt or anything, the nerve of those people!"

Albus chuckled. "It's alright, Rose."

She rounded on him. "They took your wand, even though you were the one attacked and you're alright with it?"

Scorpius for once was agreeing with her. He did not look as outraged, of course. He was better at hiding his feelings.

"I brought it up, " Albus admitted sheepishly. "I'm getting too dangerous. My wand makes me a target. I need to get better control before I hurt someone."

Rose saw how earnest he was, so she backed off. "Well, I am glad you're alright."

Scorpius slapped him on the back. "Yeah, good shield charm Albus!"

Rose grinned cutely. "I wonder who he learned that from." With a wave good night, she strolled to the entrance to the girl’s dorm and was gone.

Scorpius chuckled. "You know she's going to hold this over our heads for a month or two, right?"

Albus rolled his eyes.

He had a meeting with Uncle Neville the next morning and agreed to meet for tutoring Friday evenings, during the time that the duelling club was going on.

He missed carrying his wand, but Neville made sure he had it for every class, and his lessons on wand control helped Albus immensely. Albus remembered his dad mentioning that Neville was a very promising Auror before he left to pursue his Herbology professorship. Albus had no trouble believing that, Uncle Neville certainly knew his spell craft.

Liam Donovan and Albus now were on nodding terms. They seemed to have gained a mutual wary respect, at least. Now that he was not avoiding the boy, Albus began to notice that he did not seem to have any friends.

October passed rather quickly. Filch still chased Peeves. Growltooth was still creepy, and from the glares Albus saw the Goblin was receiving from other students, he was evidently expanding his activities. Charms was still challenging, Transfiguration, frustrating but fascinating, Herbology was brilliant, Defense Against the Dark Arts was boring, tedious, and dry, and History of Magic remained interesting but scary. Points were awarded and taken away, and Hufflepuff's bright yellow-topaz's filled their hour glass almost as full as Gryffindor's placing them in a close second, which Albus was told, hadn't happened this late in the year in recent memory.

Quidditch practices were exhausting, and sometimes brutal. Diana was a very driven taskmaster. When she wasn't drilling them on the scouting report, she was letting Violet and Valencia hit Bludgers at them to simulate game conditions. Albus was sure, after one particularly brutal double hit, that the other House Beaters were going to be cake afterwards!

Halloween at Hogwarts was an amazing time. The castle was decorated spectacularly, with fake cobwebs in every corner that did not have a real one, spelled bats swooped down corridors making girls yip. Albus wondered if there was going to be a pumpkin shortage in England when he saw the amount of Jack O'Laterns that lined the alcoves in the Halls. The Ghosts got into the spirit by popping out at students unexpectedly. Nearly Headless Nick almost gave a bubbly first-year Hufflepuff girl, Gertrude Statham, hysterics.

 Slytherin celebrated the holiday by putting on an actual Haunted Hut in and unused dungeon level classroom, which was so horrible, that it was shut down by complaints from Madam Pomfrey. She had evidently run through her supply of Doctor Ubbly's Oblivious Unction.

Before it was cancelled, Scorpius, Gas and Cormac went down there on a dare; Albus chickened out, his decision, validated when he saw how pale Gas and Cormac were when they returned to the Cellar common room.

He looked up as they came in from an eight-inch essay for Charms that Rose was helping him write. Gas sat down stiffly on a sofa across from them. "Those nutters talked The Bloody Baron into helping them!" he remarked with a tremble in his voice. Cormac's hands were shaking as he drank some pumpkin juice he must have skived from the kitchen. Albus noticed that Scorpius was yawning, and looked bored.

"I take it you were not impressed?"

Scorpius rolled his eyes. "When I was eight I had to stay over at Aunt Daphne and Aunt Mike's for one month while Mum and Dad were travelling in Europe. Three words to describe it: pink, ruffles, pomeranians. After that, even Azkaban wouldn't faze me."

The other three boys blanched in horror.

Gas murmured, "Thanks for putting it in perspective, Scorpius."

Rose scoffed and bent back to her work.

It was not long before November broke, and the day of the first match against Slytherin came around.

On that Saturday, Albus was a wreck. It was the first day since they came to Hogwarts that Scorpius was the one giving encouragement to get up and get dressed.

At breakfast, Albus didn't eat, but nervously tore his toast into small pieces trying not to get sick at the rich smell of sausages and kippers. He received two owls. The first owl was a big snowy owl named Roarke. The beautiful bird was the family owl; he had a good luck note from Albus' mum, dad and Lily, along with an encouragement to stop playing with his toast and eat something. They knew him well. He smiled immediately feeling better.  He grabbed some bacon and eggs and set to with a will.

The second owl was his brother's wickedly clever Great Spotted Owl, Loki.

He carefully opened the parchment knowing two eyes at the Gryffindor table were watching him.

It turned out to be the Last Will and Testament of Albus Severus Potter. It looked very official.

I, Albus Severus Potter, being not of sound mind, do leave all my meagre possessions to my more handsome and talented older brother, James Sirius Potter, and my equally dashing and clever cousin, Fred Bilius Weasley, seeing as I am soon to be reduced to unrecognisable paste by a team of rather large Slytherin thugs.

Signed... (The doomed)

Rose read over his shoulder and spun furiously to see her cousins, Fred and James, innocently eating their breakfasts.

James and Fred did not speak for all of his cousins. Dominique, Molly and Lucy came by to offer their encouragement. The sisters both ruffled Albus' hair and left him a piece of Droobles gum for good luck. Roxanne came by and offered to send an owl about the prank to Ginny and her mother on Albus' behalf, but he turned her down. Victoire swept by making some strange statement about "Don't worry I'll be keeping an eye on you."

Scorpius looked confident and calm, even when he saw that big tawny owl coming with a Howler for him. He bore it behind the muffle charm with a resigned look on his face. After the charm dissipated, he wiped some ash off the table. "Grandfather just wanted to wish me luck," he stated wryly.

They all sniggered.

They arrived in the locker rooms, and saw their uniform robes for the first time. It finally became real when Albus saw his name on the back of his.

Diana stood up.

"I don't like long speeches. You all know what we have to do. I made sure you knew what we are facing. So just three things: Scorpius watch Sloan's hands in your robes when you go for the Snitch, the whole team's got Comet 360's, fast, expensive and flashy, but doesn’t turn very well, you can use that."

Scorpius nodded solemnly.

“Albus, since you've got the arm, the Beaters will be gunning for you, don't get rattled." Albus gulped loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Violet and Valencia, try not to kill anyone, or do irreparable damage." The sisters nodded, looking disappointed.

With those words, Diana's calm dark brown eyes swept the room one last time, then she turned and walked out, they all filed out behind her.

As soon as they left the tunnel and entered into the sunlight, the Pitch got quiet, as they strolled out in brand new black robes with bright yellow trim.

Albus had to admit they made his team looked intimidating. The Slytherins were larger, but their emerald green robes just did not match the sheer malevolence of the black.

Diana had explained earlier that she checked the rules, and there was nothing to say that Hufflepuff had to wear the traditional yellow. As long as their uniforms were a house colour, which black was, it was allowable.

The look on the Slytherin faces was worth all of her effort.

The Hufflepuff side of the pitch erupted in cheers, soon followed by all the rest of the students rooting against Slytherin. With just a change of uniform colour, Hufflepuff had gone from underdog to dangerous.

Violet and Valencia in particular seem to relish the change. They both put on darker than usual eye makeup, looking skeletal, but kept the pink and purple ribbons in their hair.

They smiled and blew kisses at Oliver Huer, who went pale, obviously remembering the double Bludger hit to the head he suffered the year before.

Albus blew a bubble, chewing the gum Molly and Lucy gave him, as he studied the stands. He saw Rose with a book to read sitting with Olivia, Gertrude and Iris. Gas was sitting with that big Gryffindor Michael Nedved, but Cormac, surprisingly, was not with him. He looked glum but determinedly cheered with his housemates. James and Fred were arguing heatedly with Roxanne and Dominique over in the Gryffindor stands. Albus was certain it was over their large banner in the shape of a tombstone that read:

ALBUS POTTER

Rest In Peace

Krum walked between the teams, eyeing the two sisters warily. "I vant a clean game. I vill penalize or suspend any vone who breaks the rules. There vill be no game like last year I will disqualify both teams. Am I clear?"

They all nodded.

"Captains, shake hands."

Roq MacNast smiled evilly as Diana put her smaller hand in his. Soon it became apparent why Albus had seen her squeezing a rubber ball almost constantly since he met her. Roq nearly went to his knees from her crushing grip. She smiled prettily as she released his hand. He glared trying not to show his pain. 

Krum called aloud enough for everyone to hear, "Mount your brooms!"   

 Albus climbed astride his Nimbus Millennium, and stared at the Chaser across from him, which he knew, was Jakob Ackerman. Huge for a Chaser, and with an unrefined quality like someone carved him from granite, the boy had a chin like a battering ram.

Krum blew his silver whistle and there was immediately a mad swirl of black and green heading up into the air.

Albus almost fell off his broom as he heard the first words from the student commentator.

"And there they go. I must say Hufflepuffs choice of black is making quite the fashion statement. I've personally always thought the yellow made them look a bit pasty."

"Miss Weasley, less fashion, more Quidditch."

Albus glanced over at the commentator’s booth and saw Victoire with a glaring Professor Flint; a very odd pairing indeed. Albus was so distracted by them, he nearly got his head taken off by vicious Bludger hit from the direction of Aiden Gallo.

"Oh! That Slytherin thug, Gallo, nearly decapitated my little cousin, Albus! Oh, do be careful!"

"Miss Weasley, try to be less partisan."

"Sorry, Professor, but you must admit, that Gallo bloke resembles a vulture!"

"Victoire!"

"Okay, okay, back to the game. It seems that Paige Hawkins has the Quaffle. Her hair looks like a bird nest. Honestly, she could do with some conditioner!"

"Miss Weasley, more Quidditch!"

Albus watched as the slender girl with the trailing flyaway brown hair took a shot at Roderick close range. She made a brilliant feint, but he kicked a boot out and sent the Quaffle arching back to the Hufflepuff end. Diana plucked it out of the air, and darted through a hole made by a nasty Bludger hit from Valencia, and headed full steam at the colossal Slytherin Keeper, Max Gates. He was obviously picked for his size rather than ability because she had to literally go around him to get at the rings. With a backhanded flick, the Quaffle slipped through the rings.

"Oh, well done, Hufflepuff! Delaney scores! I've always thought Diana has such perfect skin tone!"

"Keep your comments to Quidditch only, Miss Weasley."

Albus got his chance to take score not long after, when he received a pass from Diana. He cocked his arm back and launched a strike from twelve meters out, but following Diana's game plan, he did not really aim; he just threw it with all his might. She wanted him to intimidate Gates; not necessarily score, but make him so afraid to get hit by one of Albus' throws they could use fakes and feints later.

His rocketed throw, however, ricocheted off of Max's shoulder with a resounding pop and sailed through the right hoop.

"Albus Potter scored? Oh, dear me! I mean, Albus Potter scored! Twenty to zero, Hufflepuff. I knew he had it in him, although he's always been such a sickly boy, to be honest."

"Miss Weasley, less family history, more Quidditch!"

"Sorry."

Albus stared at the hoop. That was a bit lucky.

He somehow knew that something was amiss. For the next bit, he watched the game, and saw some peculiarities. Roq MacNast was aiming for Cornelius, who was flying a bit low away from the action, and he mishit the Bludger, hitting Oliver Huer in the back of the head. Violet and Diana collided almost knocking each other off the broom as the both tried to block Ackerman at the same time. Roderick caught his sleeve on the end of his broom and let Paige Hawkins score. Good luck and bad luck at the same time. Probabilities run amok. Albus was nearly hit as he ruminated, but the Bludger sharply hit by Gallo, nailed Roq instead.

Albus' eyes scanned the stand looking for bright orange hair.

He picked Cormac out, he was standing just inside the tunnel staring up at the players, and his lips were moving. Albus could have sworn he saw a dark robed figure just behind him in the shadows, the next blink and the shape was gone. Suddenly, Cormac collapsed. An older Ravenclaw saw him, and several students went down to help.

After that, the game went more conventionally.

Ackerman tried to bull his way through the Beater line, but was nearly knocked off his broom twice, taking some brutal shots from the Sisters before deciding to change tactics.

Scorpius dove twice, only to suddenly lose momentum mysteriously, Sloan just behind him. Sloan almost got to the Snitch both times, but Scorpius using his manoeuvrability managed to get around and block.

"And there goes Malfoy again! Is his braking Charm malfunctioning?"

"Less speculation, Miss Weasley."

"Well, I mean honestly has Krum forgotten his whistle?"

"Less partisanship please."

"Of course you would say that!"

"Miss Weasley!"

"Okay, okay, yet another extremely fortuitous pass made by Leon Sloan, who seems to like the back of Malfoy's robes a bit too much, seeing as he can't keep his hands from grabbing them!"

"MISS WEASLEY!"                

Krum was distracted watching the sisters, so he missed the next dive altogether. Scorpius was slower so he could not get the separation he needed. His face was flushed and desperate.

Violet and Valencia, who had been behaving, for them, up to this point, made a point to bear down on Sloan with a merciless barrage, earning them the first penalty of the game. Scorpius finally got clear of the dazed Slytherin Seeker and moved to the other end of the pitch.

Albus and Diana, dodging well-hit Bludgers, managed to make Max Gates life misery. He was going to have Quaffle-sized bruises all over his body the next day. Cornelius, as always, looked after Cornelius, away from the fray.

Paige Hawkins, after the first goal, managed to fake Roderick and score twice more, but other than that, the boy was perfection. By that time Diana had scored twice more and Albus had cannoned one more through, making the score fifty to thirty Hufflepuff.

"I think Malfoy sees the Snitch! There he goes! I must say, that boy does look good in black!  Maybe it’s a Malfoy thing?"

"Weasley! Focus!"

Albus spun in time to see Scorpius rocket by, with Sloan gaining. Valencia slowed the Slytherin Seeker down with a partial body block but he managed to slip through closing on Scorpius. Just as they started to pass by the left Slytherin ring, Sloan blatantly reached out for robes, obviously deciding to take the penalty. Suddenly, as soon as he grabbed a handful, Scorpius launched himself off of his broom pulling Sloan off of his own. Scorpius' hand flashed in the sun then his off hand grabbed the ring pole as he passed and he slid down following a plummeting Sloan. Sloan landed on his back, knocking the wind out of his lungs. Scorpius landed a few moments later.

With a cool boredom, he walked over to Krum, handed him something and then headed for the tunnel in a slow walk.

Krum stared at his hand. Then held up his fist, turned it out and pulled it down, the universal sign for a caught Snitch. His whistle blow was lost in the roar from the crowd.

Victoire was barely heard over the din as she remarked, "Oh, my! That was simply fabulous! I have to tell Teddy about that one! Hufflepuff wins! Two-hundred to thirty!"

Albus noticed his friend did not stop or acknowledge the congratulations. He just nodded at the well-wishers as he made his way to the tunnel. Rose came out of the stands, and rushed over to him. They walked off together.

Albus in a sudden burst of jubilation, swept low over the Gryffindor stands, and grabbed a gaping James' tombstone banner and made a circle of the Pitch showing it off. People clapped and cheered. He landed and celebrated with the team, rolling his eyes with Diana as Cornelius made some pronouncements about being a decoy.

When they arrived at the locker room, Rose was waiting outside.

"Scorpius is in the Hospital Wing."

Later on Albus was sitting beside his friend reliving the game, as Scorpius tried not to gesture with his heavily bandaged arms, victims of friction from the pole. He did not want anyone to see how bad he was hurting, which is why he left the field so abruptly. Ironically, his hands were perfectly fine. He was definitely going to send Ridley Bartlesby a thank you owl! Rose thought he was being a git for wanting to hide his injuries from the crowd. Albus and Scorpius exchanged an understanding look past her, which caused her to throw her hands, up exasperated and loudly declare, "Men!"

They all three glanced up from time to time and tried not to snigger as Madam Pomfrey checked a surly Leon Sloan for injuries. He was glaring at Scorpius non-stop.

After a while, Scorpius was inundated with visitors. The entire Quidditch team showed up. Rose had left to bring some homework back for him to do while the Essence of Dittany did its work.

Albus' suddenly remembered Cormac. His eyes swept the large room.

He saw Gas sitting by a bed. Gas caught his eye and waved wanly.

Albus excused himself and walked over.

"Hey, Albus."

Gas had a worried look on his face. Albus waved. Cormac was so pale, that behind all those freckles, his skin blended in with the sheets. He had dark rings under his eyes.

"What happened, Gas?"

Gaspar, looked at his friend, confusion etched on his face. "Madam Pomfrey said that someone Imperiused him. He fought it so hard, that he broke through it. Why would anybody do that?"

Albus had an idea, but he did not feel free to say. "I don't know. Is he going to be alright?"

"She said he should be fine, she gave him a sleeping draught, and treated him for some mental spell damage. Who would Imperius a kid?"

They sat in silence.

Suddenly, Albus realized that everything was silent. He looked up and people were still around Scorpius' bed, glared at by Madam Pomfrey, who was preparing to shoo them out, but frozen like statuary.

He caught movement by the bed out of the corner of his eye.

He looked up past Gas and saw an ethereal looking woman, in delicate green robes, gently brushing hair out of Cormac's face. Her hair was a coppery orange just like Cormac's. She looked normal sized, but her ears, oddly pointed, peaked up through thick braids.

"Are ya gonna look all day, or introduce yerself?" she remarked absently.

"I-I'm Albus."

She looked up and Albus felt his heart skip a beat.

"I know."

"Y-you're Cormac's mum?" he managed to stammer.

She smiled warmly, but did not say a word.

They sat in silence as she gently traced the dark rings under her son's eyes; they seemed to disappear with her touch. "My brave lil man," she whispered quietly. "Do ya have anna idea who did this?"

"No."

She looked up and the anger in her bright blue-green eyes felt like a heat against Albus' face.

"Somebody did this ta me boy, for a ruddy Quidditch game. He fought them hard, that's why he's hurt. I wanna know who did this. And I wan your word you'll let me know when ya do."

Albus shot up in his chair. "What makes you think I'll know?"

She looked at him calmly, "Cause I canna see the future clearly, but I know that tha person who did this to me boyo, will cross your path. When he does, I wan yer word you will let me know who it is. Do I have it?"

Albus was afraid of what would happen if he turned her down, so he nodded.

In between one eye blink and the next, she was gone.

Noise came back into the room. Madam Pomfrey was admonishing the Quidditch team to let Mister Malfoy rest.

Cormac opened his eyes.

Gas got excited, and was about to call Madam Pomfrey when Cormac rested a hand on his arm. "Could ya leave me and Albus fer a minute Gas? I hate ta ask but it's important."

Gas looked disappointed, but he nodded and walked a few steps off.

Cormac's eyes bored into Albus'. "Me mum was here, wasn't she?"

Albus nodded.

"I need ta know wha was said."

Albus told him. Cormac managed to look even wearier.

Cold fingers of fear played piano on Albus' spine. "What's wrong?"

Cormac said, "Check yer hand."

Albus looked at his hand and realized he was holding an ancient looking gold coin so hard, it had made an imprint in his palm.

"You accepted a bargain with a Leprechaun, Albus. That coin is the seal on it. It willna leave yer possession until the bargain has been fulfilled."

Albus tried to downplay it. "She just wants to know who did this to you. That's all."

Cormac shook his head, "You don understand. She wans ta know, so she can pay them back."

Albus shrugged. "Well, they deserve it."

Cormac's eyes looked haunted. "They hurt a Leprechaun; my people willna let tha pass. The sentence is likely death, or worse."

Albus looked at him alarmed. "Worse?"

"Worse."

Albus stared at the coin in his hand. "Well then, I just won't tell her."

Cormac looked grave. "You made tha bargain, ya gave yer word, you break that, the price they would've taken from tha person who attacked me, is on your head."

A slow creeping terror settled into Albus' stomach. He was afraid he was going to lose his breakfast.

"Not good," he murmured.


                                        

 

End Notes:
I'm no JK...but I play in her wonderful sandbox
Chapter 17 Simmering Rivalry by Sly One
Author's Notes:
 
 
Understanding James Sirius Potter
 
 

The school was still buzzing about the Hufflepuff victory that Sunday. Topics of discussion ranged between Albus’ arm, and Scorpius fearlessness, and “Merlin,  did Hufflepuff actually beat someone?”

When the owls came, there was a surprise for Albus.

Nox swooped down, dropped a Daily Prophet beside his plate, and gave him the give-me-some-toast-or-face-consequences glare.

He read the headlines while the bird nibbled a toast corner. He got so engrossed with the article, that he got nipped.

"Ouch!"

Owls are not capable of rolling their eyes, but Nox gave the impression with a circular head bob and then took off gracefully, heading back to the owlery. He buzzed a ducking and scowling James at the Gryffindor table on the way. Nox had never forgiven Albus' brother for that fake-owlery-door prank three months ago.

Albus needed a distraction.

After leaving the Hospital Wing the night before, and before attending an impromptu celebration in the Cellar, he had strolled out on the grounds and tossed that ancient Leprechaun coin into the lake.

After the Hufflepuff victory party, he had gone back to the bunkroom only to see the coin wetting the top blanket on his bed. Kublai was eyeing it from Scorpius' bed with a wary interest.

 

Albus had then placed it in the bottom of his trunk and tried to get some sleep. When he awoke the next morning, it was under his pillow.

"Is that the Prophet?" Scorpius asked, settling in beside him, fresh from the Hospital Wing. His arms, still bandaged, but not as thickly dressed.

Rose was on Albus' other side, yawning and beastly, as usual in the morning. She leaned in to read the paper as Albus spread it out so they all three could see.

  Strange Happenings at Hogwarts

By Nita Skeeter

It has recently come to my attention that there are some strange goings-on at the castle on the hill.

First of all, brace yourself; there is a Malfoy in Hufflepuff.

Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy is not only in the House of the Badger, but is a first-year Seeker on the Quidditch Team, and a top student in most of his classes. It is no secret that Lucius Malfoy is not amused.

Secondly, do not read on if you have a heart condition, there is a Potter in Hufflepuff as well!

Albus Severus Potter, the second son of the man some call great, Harry Potter, is also in that most humble of Hogwarts Houses. He is also a first year Chaser. So, count them, two first-years made the Quidditch team. Unprecedented!  While he is not one of the top students grade wise, he has been at the centre of some rather interesting incidents.

Third, but you can believe me, no less significant. The Weasley family tradition going back for seven generations has been broken. Rose Caroline Weasley is also in Hufflepuff with her cousin! She, and Mister Malfoy, seems to be at or near the top in every academic category. One does wonder if that is all in which they are close.

Since Hufflepuff decisively beat Slytherin in Quidditch yesterday, primarily because of, by all accounts, a brilliant Snitch catch by Mr Malfoy, one wonders if this is a new day for Hufflepuff?

It certainly is already for the Potter, Weasley, and Malfoy families!

 

Rose was not amused.

"What a hack! The nerve of her trying to start rumours that me and Scorpius are together!"

Scorpius looked green. "I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Yes, that's what that was."

Rose glared at him scathingly. "You don't have to act so disgusted!"

While they bickered, Albus' eyes swept the room. It was as he feared; there were Daily Prophet papers on almost every table. The glares and sniggers were already beginning.

"Not good," he murmured.

That week was a nightmare. It seemed every class with the Gryffindors and Slytherins turned into an endurance contest. Albus had to endure the asides, “Here there comes Harry Potter...junior.” Rose and Scorpius dealt with kissing noises, and idle speculation within their earshot, that had Rose blasting people so often with her collection of Uncle Ron invectives, that she had to go to Madam Pomfrey with a serious jaw cramp.

Albus sent off an owl to his dad to see who leaked the story to the Prophet, but any inquiries his father made to the young reporter who posted the story, Nita Skeeter, were prefaced with a request for interviews with the three young students. He declined. He then informed Albus that he had met Nita's mother, and that if the daughter was like her dame, Albus needed to careful whom he talked to for the next while.

Of course, his dad did not have to listen to the gossip, and the requests for autographs that Albus and his two friends were enduring.

James had a different reaction. He seemed to be so livid he would not even look Albus in the eye. Every time Albus tried to talk to him he walked by stiff with anger. This was confusing to Albus. He and James, not the closest of brothers, granted, had never been enemies before.

Rose declared that James was a git, and Albus should just ignore him. Scorpius did not offer an opinion, because he did not have siblings. Rose seemed to think he should just go along with her, which caused yet another fight.

Albus asked Dominique and Fred about it, but evidently, James had been so surly to them, they were not speaking to him either. Molly and Lucy just shrugged and popped a bubble, which for them, was akin to the statement, “He’s being a git so we’re ignoring him.”

This and the article, as well as the midterm exams coming up, had Albus' stomach so torn up, he spent most of that Friday in the Hospital Wing alongside the usual weekend hypochondriacs.

He finally felt well enough to leave in time for his lesson with Uncle Neville.

Neville's office was on the fourth floor of the Arboretum. It had, like most things in that enclosure, three walls of glass with plants pressing in on both sides. It was spacious with shelves of Herbology texts and reference books covering the walls, and an old beat up desk in front of the only solid wall. He had pictures in the spaces not covered with books. Aunt Hannah and Neville were waving from most of them, as happy a couple as there is in the world. A severe, serious formidable looking witch was glowering down from a large portrait behind the desk; she had, of all things, a moth-eaten stuffed vulture on her hat. A kind, grey-haired witch with flyaway hair, and heavily patched hat and robes, beamed warmly down from another portrait with a bit of dirt on the end of her nose. There was only one portrait on Neville's desk. It was of a smiling, short, round-faced woman and a tall handsome man; both had Neville's features. Albus had heard of Alice and Frank Longbottom from Rose, but he was told by his mum to never ask his uncle about them.

When Albus arrived, Uncle Neville was pruning a plant very carefully, his spectacles on the end of his nose. The plant was not making the task easier, it giggled and moved its branches.

"Hold on now, be still. You want some buds this spring, don't you?" he remarked as he grasped one little limb carefully and snipped. The little plant slapped him in the nose.

"Alright now! You want a trip to the Arctic Room?" he threatened. The little plant settled down, and he finished his work.

As he cleaned the clippings off the desk surface, he inquired of Albus, "I hear tell that you've been getting draughts for your stomach from Madam Pomfrey? Panic attacks?"

He stared across his desk at Albus, over his spectacles. He looked a bit ridiculous, so Albus could not help but smile.

Albus took a deep breath, and then reported, "It's just James. He's acting all mental, and I don't know why. It's really bothering me."

Neville took off his specs and rubbed his eyes a bit. He finally stared at Albus, and asked, "Why is this different from any other time you've not gotten along? You two are usually at each other’s throats at the get-togethers."

Albus sighed. "I don't know. When he's mad at me I usually have an idea why, or I'm happy about it. I guess it's always been okay to me, because I was sure he didn’t hate me or something."

Neville suddenly looked very grave. "James doesn't hate you; I'd stake my life on that."

"Then what's going on?" Albus blurted, tears springing to his eyes. He wiped them angrily away. Throwing up, crying, bad stomach. What a hero!

Neville held out a hanky to him like it was the most normal thing in the world. He waited until Albus composed himself. "Better?"

Albus nodded as he handed the hanky back over. Neville held it gingerly in his middle and index finger like it was sopping wet...then with a flick it lengthened and stiffened into his wand. As if nothing had occurred, he placed it on his desktop. He steepled his fingers, patiently studying Albus' blotchy face as Albus composed himself.

"He's scared, you know."

Albus sniffled wiping his nose on the back of his hand then snottily demanded, "Of what?"

Neville's gaze was calm. "Of you, of course."

Albus shot up straight in the chair. "What? He's been pounding on me since we took baths together as kids."

Neville chuckled. "Further back than that, remember, I was there when you both were in your nappies. I changed them a time or two! Let me tell you, I routinely deal with Troll fertilizer, but your two little bums stank!"

"Uncle Neville! Honestly!" Albus admonished, scandalized.

Neville's eyes twinkled. "Have you ever wondered why some of the time your brother is trying to torture you, and the other time he is trying to get there before you, then yet another time he is trying to make you feel small?"

Albus nodded.

Neville sighed. "He is afraid of you."

He had Albus full attention and he knew it. His eyes rolled to the ceiling as if he could see his memory projected there.

"James was more than the first-born. He was the first-born Potter. He was on every major magazine cover in the Isle, and front page of most of the papers. Everywhere your parents went, James was more popular than they were."

Albus was floored. "I didn't know all that."

Neville smiled. "I know. However, you see, he was a little over a year old, and starting to walk, when his mum started getting big again. Suddenly, she was rushed to St. Mungo’s in pre-mature labour. In all of the rush, James wound up our place with Hannah and me. He didn't see his dad for four days. He didn't see his mum for a week."

Albus was aghast. "Why? Did they forget him?"

Neville shook his head. "Oh, no. They owled everyday, but James cried non-stop.He didn't understand what was happening. Then, he was allowed to go to St. Mungo’s to see his mum. Next thing he knew, he was being shown an incubator with a tiny little boy in it struggling to breath, and was told that that little boy was the reason Mummy was in the hospital. Do you want to know what his reaction was?"

Albus smiled ruefully. "Probably violent."

Neville chuckled. "He smacked the incubator, caused you to cry. They all got upset with him, and he had to leave. That was the first time he picked on you."

Albus sat for a moment in quiet contemplation. "So he hated me from the start."

Neville rolled his eyes. "No. He didn't hate you, he was afraid of you."

Albus was frustrated. "You keep saying that, but I don't believe it."

Neville's eyes bored into Albus'. "Your brother's earliest memories were of everybody telling Harry that Albus has his eyes, of everyone calling his little brother ‘Harry Junior’. Of his little brother being an even bigger object of attention than he ever was. If he drew crowds, Albus, you drew mobs. Everybody wanted to see Harry Potter's little green-eyed doppelganger. They seemed to forget there were two boys. James went from centre of attention, to the other Potter boy, in less than two years.

Now Albus, think of what's happening now.

He always wanted to be in Gryffindor like his dad, he believed that was expected of him. You show up and land in Hufflepuff, and happily defy that tradition.

He believed he was to be the family’s best hope for a Quidditch star, because you were afraid to fly, and hated heights. He knew he was the best Seeker candidate in Gryffindor this year, and did not even try out last year because first years are too young. Next thing he knows, you suddenly show up, knowing how to fly, beat Molly and Lucy the best flyers among the grandchildren in a race, and make the Quidditch team against all odds. Not only that, but you are rather decent at it.

James believes that all Slytherins are bad, and all of his father's enemies are supposed to be his enemies. You make friends with the son of the man who was his father's biggest foil. All these things are happening, and he sees your dad accepting them, and respecting you for breaking the mould that James has been using to shape himself.

“And now, after he never made front page his entire Hogwarts first year, something his dad managed with regularity, he sees this Prophet article, on you. “Do you blame him for being afraid of you?"

Albus sat in silence. He did not know what to say. He managed to nod.

"Is there anything I can do to make it easier on him?" he finally murmured.

Neville shook his head. "He's going to have to deal with this on his own, just know, he doesn't hate you."

"Why not, I would! After what you've told me, I'm surprised he hasn't tried to murder me in my sleep!" Albus spat out.

Neville looked like he was debating something in his head. Then he nodded to himself. "Are you curious to know why you haven't been pranked by anyone but James and Fred?"

Albus suddenly realized that he was right. He nodded.

Neville's face was solemn. "He put the word out that nobody was to touch a hair on your head."

Albus scoffed. "He's just a second year. Nobody's going to take him seriously."

Neville laughed. "He and Fred are the Hogwarts representative of Tri-W products. They have a lot more pull than you know."

Albus grinned. "You know about that?"

Neville shook his head exasperated. "I know about it, but they've gotten good at smuggling. I haven't caught them at it for some time. I know they've got a lot of customers, I've confiscated enough of your Uncle George's merchandise, but they always seem to know where I am, and where to hide the contraband."

Albus sighed. He did feel better. "So James doesn't hate me."

Neville grinned. "No, he doesn't hate you. He just doesn't know what to think. He will come around; give it time."

Uncle Neville got up and walked over to a bookcase directly behind his desk. He waved his wand, and the shelves slid back revealing an ominous grey safe door.

He reached out and traced one finger in a pattern on the door surface. Albus heard thousands of little clicks and the door popped open. "Some Gringotts Goblins installed this door. Of course, I immediately changed the combination."

Neville walked into the vault enclosure, which was surprisingly spacious. Albus walked to the entrance as his Uncle walked down a short flight of stairs, and retrieved Albus's wand off a stack of shelves to his left. Albus' eye was drawn to something reflecting bright red in the vault's overhead lighting.

It was James' SkyBolt gleaming and shiny, on a wall rack. Albus was so entranced tracing the lines that he did not hear Neville walk up.

"Hands off. You're the enemy, remember."

Albus' hand snapped guiltily to his side as if he was caught red-handed, "Shouldn't it be in the broom shed?" he stammered.

Neville ushered Albus out, and closed the door before responding.

"That's the prototype. Your dad had to promise to keep it safe before they'd give it to him to try out. Besides, down in the broom shed, the whole student body would be rubbing their grubby little paws all over it." He looked over spectacles at Albus for emphasis.

Albus' face flushed, even though he knew he was being put on.

Uncle Neville handed his wand to him. Albus felt the joy of the reunion of hand and wand running up his arm. Neville watched him with an amused look on his face.

"Actually, you've worn me out with all this talking. Take the blasted thing and get out."

Albus felt such excitement he was barely able to contain it. "You really mean it?"

Uncle Neville nodded toward the door.  "Try not to upset any more Bludgers, or Dark Lords please."

Albus almost skipped back to the Cellar.

The next day was Ravenclaw versus Gryffindor and it was everything Albus had feared.

It was a slaughter.

Ravenclaw's tight formations and pin point accuracy was blasted to shreds by his cousin Fred and Fergus Finnigan, and when they did get through, Grayson Wood showed he was a chip off of the old block. Molly and Lucy were a swirling Quaffle assault on Elanor Ferraro, with Dominique blending in seamlessly, as they dodged Isla Pettit and Ashton Gully's Bludgers effortlessly. Lilith LeBlanc was outclassed on her Nimbus Millennium, James literally toyed with her, letting her dive for the Snitch and beating her to it and blocking.

It was obvious that the strategy was to run up the score, then catch the Snitch when the season was out of sight for the other teams. "The Banshee" had other plans. She executed a perfect Wronski Feint and James was almost to the other ring before he heard her trademark wail. She was closing in on the Snitch, causing everyone to flinch from her unearthly howl. James spun on a knut and tore back, showing the SkyBolt's astonishing speed. Albus thought he saw the air boil in the brooms wake as it rocketed by. Lilith had nearly grasped the Snitch when James' hand shot out.

Krum signalled the end of the game. Fred was livid. The score was just 300-20. He glared at James, all through the chaos of the red and gold crowd carrying the younger boy out of the Pitch.

Albus saw James' smile; his brother did not realize that his team was disgusted with him yet. Their eyes met as James was being carried by. Albus nodded at him and smiled. James grinned happily and winked.

The Pitch cleared out. Six people sat in the stands glumly listening to the happy Gryffindors heading back to the castle. Diana sighed and walked out, the Sisters and Corny followed suit leaving Albus, Roderick and Scorpius.

Scorpius beat Albus to the punch. "Not good."
End Notes:
JK is the lord of this manner, and of this verse,all others are mere shadows in her radiance. (cough...cough!)
Chapter 18 A Threefold Cord by Sly One
Author's Notes:
Some believe this chapter is the heart of the book. It has become the name of the series on it's fandom wiki site. I never imagined it would have this impact but I have to say it is one of my favorites. ***lucilla_pauie to mod please*** 

The mids came and went with Scorpius and Rose getting straight O's. Rose flipped when she saw the scores, though. It turned out that she was not going to be able to fulfil her father's wish to "beat him at every test, Rosie", after all. She eventually took it in stride, but she stuck her tongue out at him every time he brought it up, which was often. It was something new about which to bicker.

Albus was happy to see he got a lot of E's, but an O in Potions, Herbology and most surprisingly, Transfiguration. Uncle Neville's tutoring really paid off.

November was almost over when the Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff match came around.

The game the previous year had been a travesty, since the Sisters, suspended for the duration, were not there to help. Diana, who held a grudge against Ravenclaw for taking advantage and running up the score against the sisterless Hufflepuff, was especially intense.

She suggested a Muggle technique during one of the practices, called visualization. They never even touched a broom. They just sat in the stands, supposedly imagining their actions during the game. She walked them through it.

"Chasers, imagine the many ways you can get the Quaffle through the hoops. Remember those formations I have been showing you. Roderick, imagine what kind of offence you're going to see, and how you can block it. Sisters, you are hitting the Bludgers at the Ravenclaw Chaser line, imagine their faces, and make sure you follow through. Scorpius, Lilith is the best at Hogwarts; imagine ways of faking her out and getting to the Snitch first.

It all broke up after a few minutes of awkward silence, when Albus' stomach growled. They started to snigger. Diana's glares could not stop the chain reaction. Corny spoke up, "That's not a Quaffle you're imagining, Potter, that's a dinner roll!"

That was it. They all were laughing. Diana left in a huff, throwing her hands in the air. They exchanged a nod through mirth-filled eyes and followed her stiff, retreating form back up to the castle, and dinner.

The next few practices, she made them all pay for it. Diana had Albus play Lilith Leblanc in some simulations, since he had the same broom.  The Nimbus Millennium, in spite of being slower than the SkyBolt, really was the best well-rounded broom on the market. It had no weak spots.

Scorpius still managed to grab the Snitch before Albus, but that had more to do with Albus not being a true Seeker than the broom. Every time Albus spotted the Snitch first, he got there first. The results of the simulation were not promising. From Scorpius' dejected demeanour, he knew it as well.

Lilith was not like Sloan, lazy, or incompetent. She was a Snitch catching machine, with a guaranteed place on the Holyhead Harpies after she left Hogwarts in a year. Scorpius was not going to defeat her with cheap tricks. He was simply going to have to hope he saw the Snitch first, and was closer to it.

The match rolled around that Saturday, the last day of November.

In the Great Hall that morning, Albus ate a good breakfast, managing somehow to calm his nerves enough.

It helped that James and Fred were not presently on speaking terms, so they didn't collaborated on a game day prank.

Roarke swept in, causing some ooo's from female students at his perfect white plumage. He dropped a letter from home, and aristocratically stared at Albus, until he remembered to feed the arrogant bird a bit of sausage off his plate. No toast for Roarke, mind you, that bird was spoilt!

After Roarke nipped his finger affectionately and took off, Albus tore into the letter eagerly.

Dear Albus,

Good luck on your game today! Your dad and I are proud of you. (Me especially, my boy is finally taking after me in something!) Lils and Kreacher say hi.

James sent Loki with a note about what happened during the Gryffindor/Ravenclaw match. His teammates are not too pleased with him, so if you get a chance, remind your brother that his family will always stand behind him. (Don't make that face!)

Albus guiltily stopped crinkling his nose in disgust. That woman was scary sometimes! Honestly!

Again, good luck on your game! Beat Ravenclaw. Know your dad and I are thinking of you.

You're still my little boy. (Don't roll your eyes!)

Mum

P.S. Lils wants you to know she misses you very, very much, and wants to be sure you aren't killed today. However, if you do, she wants you to know your room will be in good hands, as a haven for her dollies.

 

Albus smiled.

He turned to the Gryffindor table and saw James down at the end, eating by himself. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

For you, Mum, he said to himself.

He left the letter, picked up his food, explained what he was doing to Scorpius and Rose, got up and crossed the aisle seating himself down beside his brother.

James looked up from his kippers with a sullen look on his face. "What do you want?"

Albus gave him calm eyes. "Some of that Red Currant jam for my toast will do for starters," he explained, indicating the jar on the other side of James.

James brusquely slid it over.

Albus slathered the jam on a piece of toast for himself and one for James, but he added some butter just like his brother liked it. He put it on a napkin and slid it over.

James did not acknowledge it at first. Then he grabbed it and jammed half of it in his mouth. Giving Albus a crusty smile dripping jam the way that used to make Albus laugh so hard he nearly puked when they were younger.

Albus sniggered and they ate in silence. Fred slid in with his plate. "It's the end of the world. Look at it, dogs and cats!" he murmured with a smile. The rest of the cousins followed suit, even a rumpled, morning/evil Rose.

Not a word spoken, but wounds closed in the companionable silence.

As he and Scorpius changed into their black Quidditch robes later, Scorpius remarked, "All better?"

Albus nodded.

Scorpius was thoughtful for a moment. "Your brother seems like he would be a good guy if he would quit trying so hard."

Albus shrugged. "You're right. He is a good guy, when he's not being a Centaur's arse. Don't tell Rose I said that. She'd jinx me for being racist toward Centaurs!"

They sniggered and followed Diana out.

The game turned into a bigger blood bath than the one against Slytherin.

Ravenclaw showed a determination not to lose like the last game, and sent Hufflepuff reeling from the onslaught.

Isla and Ashton were vicious with their Bludger hits. Eliot, Jay and Holly were using more formations than Albus had ever thought possible, actually scoring on Roderick several times.

Victoire's commentary was spotty as usual, interspersed with Flint's growl for her to stop manicuring her nails, but when she called, Ravenclaw 80-Hufflepuff 20, there was a collective groan from the crowd.

Albus' heart sank, the thought was yammering in his mind; we're going to lose, badly!

That was when he heard some familiar voices cheering. His eyes scanned the crowd, and he was so shocked to see James leading his cousins, he nearly fell off his broom.

A new determination gripped him. He saw in the eyes of his older teammates that they were falling back into the old bottom-of-the-heap mentality.  Albus suddenly remembered that day with the illusionary dragon, how he had turned the tables. He only needed a spark to get him mad enough.

He looked up at the Ravenclaw captain and Keeper, Elanor Ferraro, and saw her smirk derisively like Hufflepuff was not even there and they were going to run up the score again. That was all he needed, rage filled him, but he did not fight it this time, he embraced it.

He called for the Quaffle, and Diana got it to him.

He kicked his broom into high gear and blasted through the Beater line.

He took stinging shots from Isla, but not very hard compared to the shots he took in practice from the Sisters. Ashton, however, did not react, glancing over at Isla; indecisive, just like the scouting report.

Albus came into range. For him, and with a roar, he unleashed the hardest Quaffle throw he had in him, Elanor so cowed by the velocity, dived out of the way with no attempt at blocking.

He missed the centre ring, but the point made. He swung back around, and saw that the team, which had been desperate and demoralized a few moments before, now looked determined.

Years of losing sloughed off like a snakeskin. Diana called out a formation, and Corny swept up, taking the left wing.

It was not long before Victoire had to put down her nail file, and call some scores.

"Oh dear! Look at those black Badgers go! I must say that colour is certainly intimidating!

"Miss Weasley, this is not a fashion show!"

"Sorry! Another score by Diana Delaney! Oh my! The Sisters absolutely tattooed Elliot Durnin, literally! I think he's going to have an impression of that Bludger for a year! I don't condone tattoos, but I have often thought of getting a wolf on my...."

"Miss Weasley!"

"I was going to say ankle, honestly! Hufflepuff 90 Ravenclaw 80!"

Albus and Diana shrugged off accurate Bludger hits and rained Quaffles on Elanor, with Corny decoying the Beaters, and taking some hits as well. The team seem transformed; Ravenclaw was the one on their heels.

It was then that Scorpius saw the Snitch, and dived.

A thrill went through Albus heart when he realized that Scorpius was closer than Lilith, who was on the opposite side of the pitch!

She let out an ear-splitting cry and dived as well. Scorpius realizing that she was faster, adjusted his dive to a suicidal angle to gain speed, so much that Albus was terrified for him. The Twigger 99 might have been a slow broom, but it showed its manoeuvrability when Scorpius managed to pull it up at last second.  He was going to have grass stains on his robes. They both closed in on the Snitch, Lilith showing she had ice water in her veins as she was still diving.

Suddenly, at the last second, two things happened. Albus saw a quick flash of red and Lilith smacked into the ground hard, at the same time Scorpius caught the Snitch. He was past her so he did not see her hit.

Krum signalled the end of the game, and then he saw Lilith on the ground with her broomstick sticking out of the earth.

Albus swept down, as Scorpius realized why everyone was so quiet. He turned and flew back.

Lilith was not moving, her long white hair was over her face and she did not seem to be moving. Her teammates swirled around her calling her name.

Albus had seen that flash of red before. It was a stunning spell. His eyes swept the stands, but everyone was on their feet, so he could not see if anyone was stowing a wand away. Professor Pharrel was animatedly discussing something with Professor Bast, and Professor Flint was actually comforting Victoire who had not even announced the final score in her concern. Shacklebolt looked grave.

Madam Pomfrey was rushing out on the field; no one else was moving or leaving the stands. Most of the crowd were holding their breath.

Then, with no other sign of stirring, Lilith just sat up. She blithely asked stunned people around her, if she caught the Snitch. They stammered no. She shrugged and wandered off in the direction of the tunnel with Madam Pomfrey scolding her to head straight to the Hospital Wing.

The breath everyone seemed to be holding was let out in a cheer, as much for Hufflepuff as for Lilith being ok. He did not see any sign that anyone else had seen that flash of red; everyone else must have been watching Scorpius.

Victoire announced joyously, "Lilith is okay! Hufflepuff wins! 240-80. Look out Gryffindor, I must say!"

Before her pronouncement faded away, the crowd mobbed Albus and Scorpius, Albus saw Madam Pomfrey pause at the professors' grandstand to give Headmaster Shacklebolt a piece of her mind. She was really letting him have it.

Albus accepted his cousins' and his brother's congratulations as he made his way to the tunnel, trying to pass within earshot of the livid Madam Pomfrey.

She was loud enough he had no trouble hearing their discussion.

"You need to shut down the entire Quidditch program; I don't care how long this school has had one! If Lilith's grandmother had not been a Banshee, I'd be notifying her parents right now! No, I don't have any idea why she passed out."

The rest of her words were lost as Albus entered the tunnel.

If she knew that about Lilith's special background, she must know about Cormac being part Leprechaun! He thought as he changed his robes. As he hung up his kit, another thought made him freeze.

All of the staff must know. They would have to inform them for medical reasons!

On the heels of that thought, he had to sit down on the bench when a big puzzle piece fell into place.

The person that Imperiused Cormac, would have to be a staff member!

Albus hurriedly dressed and rushed up to the castle, managing to catch up to Professor Pharrel.

"Professor." Albus called.

The smiling man paused and waited for him to catch up.

"Albus! How is my star Chaser doing?"

Albus was a little in for breath by the time he got to the professor, but he managed to gasp, "I know what happened to Lilith."

Professor Pharrel immediately looked alarmed. "What are you babbling about young man?"

"She was stunned! I saw the red flash!" he insisted.

Pharrel smiled benevolently. "She had a nasty fall, that's all, Albus. If she were stunned, the whole stadium would have seen it. Now go enjoy your victory. If it will make you feel better, I'll tell the Headmaster your theory. We don't want to start a panic do we?"

Albus nodded glumly, and watched as the professor walked through the gate and out of sight.

Albus got the message. He was on his own.

He reached into his pocket; sure enough, the coin was there again. The person who he was supposed to confront had nearly killed Lilith. What could possibly be the reason? It did not make any sense. Confirmed was the fact that whoever it was, they were playing for keeps, and Albus was in way over his head. He trudged the rest of the way to the castle in the cheering throng, but he did not join them.

When Albus woke up that Sunday stiff, in pain with Quaffle bruises all over his chest and back, after tossing and turning all night, he felt like a bit of a morning walk to clear his head. His heart was still heavy from the revelations of the night before. When he had finally reached The Cellar last night, he had been the last to arrive at the celebration, and the first to leave it.

He bundled up quietly to not disturb his bunkmates or Kublai, and slipped out into the Common Room

It was warm and toasty in The Cellar, as usual. At class, he had noticed that Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, and Slytherins all complained about the drafts in their towers and the dankness of the dungeon. They usually showed up shivering and eyeing the Hufflepuffs suspiciously, as they always came in looking comfortable.

Water and air does not insulate, earth does. Add in the fact that the painting that served as the entrance to the corridor to The Cellar came out into the kitchen, the Hufflepuffs always stayed toasty until they got into the rest of the castle.

The one drawback to the comfort was the lack of outside windows. This caused the Badgers to be a bit out of touch with the outside of the castle.

Albus was in for a surprise. He waved at the happily busy little elves as he walked through the kitchen and up the staircase into the cavernous entrance hall. The early morning light drifting in from the windows several stories up had a strange bright quality that he knew immediately.

He dashed across the massive hallway and out into the west wing breezeway, his eyeballs, nearly blasted out of his head by the whiteness.

As far as the eye could see, it was a crystalline, pristine snowscape. The Forbidden Forest did not even seem that forbidden in the soft early morning glow.

Albus sighed contentedly as he took in the monochromatic beauty. He was so far over his head, and he felt so alone with this knowledge. That damnable coin was cold in his pocket, even though he knew he had left it under his pillow. What was he going to do?

"It won't last you know."

Albus started from the unexpected voice. He turned to see Professor Flint leaning against one of the columns, contentedly puffing a pipe.

"Good morning, professor. You gave me a fright."

Flint's dark eyes dissected him in silence for a moment or two. "I was already here, Mr. Potter, your lack of awareness of your surroundings is what gave you the fright."

Albus was always wary of the professor, he always felt like there was more going on in that mind then just potions. Even though the man, never unpleasant without purpose, was a good teacher, it was still hard for Albus to not feel the constant scrutiny.

"You're right. I'm sorry professor."

Flint shrugged. I was just out gathering some of the very first snow of the year. That happens to be a valuable potion ingredient, and enjoying the crisp air. Might I inquire as to why you are up this early on a Sunday?"

Albus shrugged."Just couldn't sleep, and fancied a walk, that's all."

Flint studied him for a few moments more. "Have you ever thought to ask your father about Lily Evans, and her Potions ability?"

Albus suddenly remembered that conversation the first day of school. "I'm sorry, professor. I forgot."

Flint nodded as if this was expected. "Well, Mr. Potter, if you were to, perhaps, take your walk down this corridor, and were to, perchance, take the next two lefts, you might find yourself in a massive trophy room. I believe the answer you seek is in the fifth case to your right as you enter, third shelve from the top. Have a good morning Mr. Potter; enjoy the snow before the rest of the students find it. I, however, will be brewing Pepper-up potion for the remainder of the day."

With a swirl of black robes, Professor Flint swept by, leaving a cloud of cherry-scented tobacco in his wake.

Albus had resolved not to follow the professor's instruction, but desperate for a distraction, his curiosity got the best of him. Soon he was walking down the indicated hallway.

He was usually terrified of getting lost and winding up in one of Growltooth's nightly corridor traps, but he managed to find the massive oak-panelled Trophy room in due course.

A quick sweep of the dark oak shelving in the trophy case in question, filled with awards from the year 1978. It seemed that Gryffindor won the House Cup and the Quidditch Cup both that year. His first shock came when he saw the list of players.

"James Potter, Chaser," he murmured. He immediately felt a connection to his grandfather.  "Just like me," Albus remarked to himself with a small smile. His eyes kept scanning, resting on a plaque listing three students cited for potions excellence, for successfully brewing Felix's Felicia for N.E.W.T. extra credit. A Professor Horace Slughorn gave the plaque. Albus traced the names through the glass.

Severus Snape

Cyrus Dillinger

Lily Evans

"Severus Snape knew my grandmother?" Albus murmured. His eyes kept roaming until they rested on the plaque bearing the names of the Head Boy and Girl.

James Potter

Lily Evans

There it was. The information Professor Flint wanted him to have. His grandmother had to have been Lily Evans, before she was Lily Potter. It was right there in front of him, waiting all this time.

She was good in Potions. I am good in Potions. Grandfather was a Chaser. I am a Chaser.

"Maybe I'm not an accident," Albus informed himself in awed tones.

He had heard about his Grandfather being a Chaser and a Quidditch star before, and stories about how his Grandmum could not stand him, but then how he came around eventually, (usually when Dad was trying to get Mum to not abandon James at the nearest orphanage!). That his Grandmum's maiden name was Evans, and she was tops in Potions that was new. He reread the Potions plaque again;

Why didn't dad tell me my namesake and my Grandmum knew each other, and why does Professor Flint want me to know about it?

The questions Albus had for his dad were beginning to pile up!

He traced the names through the case with his finger with reverence for the next half hour before he heard some students talking excitedly echoing up the corridors. The spell was broken; he retraced his steps heading to the Great Hall.

A silvery form happily bounced out of the wall ahead of him, it was the rotund House Ghost of Hufflepuff.

"Why hello, young Master Potter!" he called out joyfully.

"Hello, er, Mister Friar," Albus ventured carefully.

The ghost chuckled. "Oh, you can call me Fat Friar, I've had a few years to get used to my shape you know!"

Albus could not help but smile. "I'm sorry, sir, it just sounds rude to me."

The Friar glanced around comically, and then waved Albus over. "Just between us early risers, you may call me Father Thomas, if you like."

Albus grinned. "Sure, Father Thomas," he answered a stage wink by the Friar, with one of his own.

"So what's disturbing you young Master Potter? No student would be wandering these halls on a Sunday morning that is sleeping well. You can trust me. I have been keeping secrets since before I died."

Albus considered the offer for a second. "Thanks for the offer, but I've got to work this out on my own. No offence."

The ghostly friar looked appalled. "Of course not! You cannot offend me!"

Albus smiled and started past, the Friar stopped him with a gentle spectral hand that made his shoulder tingle as if dipped in the snow out on the grounds. "If I may, can I offer one word of advice?"

Albus nodded.

Father Thomas sunk through the floor until his eyes were even with Albus. "I have watched your family for a few generations now. Your father, and his father before him, took great comfort from his friends. I have seen you with yours; you seem stronger when you are with them. Tell them. Let them help you with this problem."

He seem to be deep in thought for a moment then quoted, "There is a verse in a great Muggle book, that I think an awful lot of, that might help. If one prevails against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12. You are not a Gryffindor, you are a Hufflepuff, as such you can always ask for help. I'll always be around if you need to talk."

He waved over his shoulder as he drifted off, greeting another early rising student as he faded into the wall further down the corridor.

What is an Ecclesiastes? Albus wondered. Those words did seem powerful, spoken with some great authority. A threefold cord is not quickly broken. He, Rose and Scorpius were three.

He is right, I am a Hufflepuff, it's time I stopped acting like a Gryffindor.

Albus had to ask one person's permission first.

He found Cormac eating breakfast listening to Gas prattle on about Harry Potter in the Tri-Wizard tournament; they were evidentially up to the rescue under the lake.

"Cormac, can I have a word?"

They walked away a few steps out of earshot. Cormac would not budge on telling Rose and Scorpius about his heritage.

"It's na that I don wan to," he explained. "It's tha I can't unless they've figured it out for themselves, like you did. I have an onus on me that prevents it, it's on you as well, you canna tell them either, unless they already suspect."

Albus glanced at Scorpius and Rose. They were eating breakfast, happily arguing in low tones.

Cormac looked apologetic. "I know I got ya inta this, if they know, the onus is abated and you can tell them everything, but na before, those two are the smartest in our class, they might surprise ya. " He nodded and walked back to Gas. Gas started right back with the explanation of Gillyweed.

Albus sat down between Rose and Scorpius, who were debating whether to go out into the snow later.

"I have to ask you something."

They looked at each other, and then Rose said, "So you've decided to stop playing martyr already? I thought you'd milk it at least another day or so!" She and Scorpius rolled their eyes comically.

Albus glared at them. "What do you know about Cormac, or at least what do you suspect."

They exchanged another glance. Rose said, "Oh, do you mean about how he's really way undersized to be eleven?"

Scorpius chimed in, "Or that he has the reddest hair I have ever seen on a bloke, almost orange?"

Rose answered, "Or that his ears have a bit of a point on them, and he has the thickest Irish accent I have ever heard, nearly Gaelic?"

Scorpius added, "Or that he is stronger and faster than a boy his size and age should be?"

Rose crinkled her nose cutely. "It's obvious, he's part Leprechaun, Albus, and we figured it out ages ago. How many times have I told you that you should read Aunt Looney and Uncle Newt's revised Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them, seriously."

Albus smiled, relieved. Cormac was right; he had underestimated them.

To introduce the topic he pulled the coin out and placed it in front of Scorpius.

Scorpius took one look, "That's Leprechaun gold, mate. It will be gone by sundown. I'm a Malfoy, I know my gold!"

Albus sighed. "I wish it would, but I'm pretty sure it won't."

They stared at him concerned, but eager.

So it begins, one becomes three, Albus thought.

 

End Notes:
I am not JK if I were I would be short a few million dollars. (SIGH!)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=79120