The Missing by Raeinflight
Summary: It has been five years since the war ended and the dark wizard known as Voldemort fell. The wizarding world has been living in peace until Harry Potter is kidnapped! As his friends and family search desperately for him, they uncover a secret that threatens the one thing they love the most.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Epilogue? What Epilogue?
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 10265 Read: 11626 Published: 10/20/08 Updated: 06/28/13
Story Notes:
This is my first chaptered fic and I have been working really hard on it. I hope you all enjoy it and please review!

This story was previously accepted but got deleted...twice. If someone could please take care of this story I would greatly appreciate it.

1. The Missing Man by Raeinflight

2. A Missing Lead by Raeinflight

3. The Missing Elf by Raeinflight

4. Hit or Miss by Raeinflight

The Missing Man by Raeinflight
Author's Notes:
This chapter was accepted, but got deleted. PLEASE HELP!
Five years since the war and the demise of Voldemort.


Hermione paced in her tiny kitchen. It had become a daily ritual of hers ever since her husband had completed training and become an Auror. She stopped for a moment to peer out the spotless window. It was getting dark out. The moon peered through a clouded sky. It was difficult for her to stay home while her husband went off on missions. She was used to being part of the fight. She had always gone along and now she stayed behind.


It was difficult but it was getting better. Although Hermione no longer spent her time fighting Death Eaters, she had found her own fight. Hermione worked in Magical Law Enforcement deciphering difficult and undetectable spells and prosecuting those who were foolish enough to use them. And she absolutely refused to be boring. On top of that, she often found herself helping the Auror department to trace dark wizard spells. She never turned down a chance to help them in much the same way she had when she was a youth. The researching reminded her of her school days preparing each year for a new fight.


A small head of red hair appeared over the edge of the hill. Gradually, the body of Ronald Weasley followed. Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. She watched him walk down the path and finally allowed herself to smile. When he opened the door she rushed into his arms. He kissed her hair.


“Hi,” he said. She reeled back and slapped him on the arm.


“Ronald Weasley, how dare you worry me like that? You promised you’d be home an hour ago!”


“Whatever happened to ‘Hi, dear, how was your day?’” he joked, grinning. Hermione smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.


“Hi, dear, how was your day?” she asked sweetly. He chuckled.


“Long,” he sighed. She was back in his arms. “Sorry,” he said into her hair, “I got held up.”


“Right, I’ll forgive you. Just go upstairs and get ready fast. I don’t want to be late.”


“For what?” he asked, wrinkling his nose as he tried to recall their plans.


“Dinner at the Burrow tonight. Remember?”


“Oh, yeah.” Hermione smiled at her husband’s reliable sense of forgetfulness.


“And it’s a good thing because I’m too tired to make anything. I’m handling three cases right now and I’m exhausted.”


Ron looked over and noticed the kitchen table covered with case files.


“Need any help?” he asked.


“No thanks. Now go get changed. We’ll leave right away.”


He nodded, kissed her and headed upstairs.





Not far away at Godric’s Hollow a similar encounter had taken place. Ginny Potter had arrived shortly before her husband and shooed him upstairs to change for family dinner the instant he came through the door. He groaned as she shoved him up the stairs. “I’m going, I’m going.” He quickly whipped around and kissed her before hurrying up to the bedroom, laughing at her disgruntled expression. Now she sat at the kitchen table playing with her nine month old son, Sirius James. He looked just like his father, the great Harry Potter. Ginny tickled his nose with a quill and he giggled, green eyes sparkling.


“Harry!” she called up the stairs, “Let’s go, we’re going to be late!” She frowned when there was no response. She picked up her son and headed up the stairs. “Come on, love, Sirius is getting hungry.”


Still no answer.


She knew something was wrong. Clutching her young boy tightly, she drew her wand and slowly turned the knob on the bedroom door.


The room was empty. His desk chair lay overturned in the corner. She called his name already knowing it was futile. He wasn’t there. Harry Potter was gone! She searched for any sign of him and found his wand lying discarded on the floor. That was when she knew something terrible had happened.


Ginny ran to the fireplace and threw in a handful of Floo powder. Carrying Sirius, she stepped into the green flames and shouted, “The Burrow!”





“Need any help with that, Mum?” Hermione asked Mrs. Weasley. The woman beamed at her. She loved her daughter-in-law and loved when she called her Mum.


“Yes, Hermione dear, would you set the dishes out for me?”


“Of course.”


“Mum, where’s Dad?” Ron asked coming in from the living room. As he spoke he glanced at the famous Weasley clock which now included more hands for all the marriages that had taken place in the last four years. Then he saw it. The hand bearing Harry’s name was pointing to “mortal peril”.


“He had to run to the office to…” Mrs. Weasley’s voice trailed off as she saw the look on her son’s face. Hermione had noticed too.


“What’s wrong?” she asked, coming to stand beside him. She gasped when she saw the clock. As they watched, the hands bearing Ginny’s and Sirius’ names moved from home to traveling. They all turned to face the fireplace. A moment later Ginny appeared with Sirius. The boy was crying and Ginny had a worried look on her face. There was fear in her eyes.


“What happened?” Ron asked her immediately.


“He’s disappeared!” she said frantically. “I found his wand on the floor. He must have been kidnapped!”





Ron immediately called together the rest of the Auror department. Most of their resources were now on the case. Ron’s boss, Kingsley Shacklebolt, had brought several of the best on their team to the house and they all stood surveying Harry and Ginny’s room. It was a getting late and the room seemed very dark, even with the lights on. The team lit their wands and began a meticulous inspection of the scene.


Ron had brought Hermione with him. She wasn’t an Auror, but she could have been, and he needed her. He looked down at his wife and a silent understanding of comfort passed between them. She nodded and set her jaw as they turned to examine the room.


Harry’s wand still lay on the floor where Ginny had found it. Ron knew Harry would never leave his wand behind and wondered how anyone had been able to get it away from him. The chair was overturned, but there were no other signs of a struggle. Ron closed his eyes and tried to imagine what could have happened.


“Ron, over here,” Kingsley called. He was studying something on the wall by the desk. Ron went and peered at the spot his mentor had indicated. It was very faint, but Ron could see the strange markings on the wall.


“What is that?” he asked. “It looks... maybe scorched?”


“Exactly, and notice the pattern. There’s a large circle here, see?


“Yes. Do you know what did it, then?


Kingsley looked thoughtful for a moment. “I’ve seen this once before. It looks like the remnants of a portal.”


“What’s that?”


Hermione jumped in immediately. “A portal is a spontaneous opening in a place of power. If you jump through it, you can travel to another portal.”


“And this one is closed,” Ron said.


Hermione nodded. “Portals don’t stay open very long and they don’t open very often, maybe every hundred years or so.”


Kingsley looked impressed and Hermione blushed. Ron snickered and said, “So you think that this… ‘portal’ opened and Harry somehow got sucked through it?”


“Well, it’s highly unlikely that he got through just by accident, and I do not think that he would leave his wand behind if he went in out of curiosity.”


Ron nodded and Hermione said, “Someone must have pulled him into the portal. That means that someone else had to know about it.”


“Wait a minute,” Ron interjected, “I thought you said that these things opened spontaneously. How would anyone know when it was going to open?”


“Usually they are spontaneous, Ron, but if a portal hasn’t been opened in a hundred years, certain magic could open it,” Hermione said, studying the wall again.


“Certain magic… you mean Dark magic?” Hermione and Kingsley both nodded.


“That’s it, then,” Ron said, “Harry’s definitely been kidnapped.”


“And it seems as though he walked right into a trap,” said Kingsley. “Did he ever mention the portal to you? If he didn’t know it was here, it would be a perfect way to catch him off guard, and anyone coming in through it wouldn’t have to go through the wards around this place.”


“You’re right,” Ron said, “It’s the perfect plan.” Ron wondered what anyone wanted with Harry anymore. The war was long over, after all. Was this all an elaborate plot for revenge? It didn’t seem fair. Harry had risked his life, he hadn’t even expected to live, and now that he finally had allowed himself to have a family and a life, this had to happen.


“Let’s go back to the office and see if anyone has come up with something,” Ron said, shaking off his thoughts. “Then we’ll have to get back to the Burrow. Ginny will have my head if we don’t fill her in soon.”




“Here, Ginny.” Mrs. Weasley handed her daughter a cup of tea. After learning of Harry’s disappearance, Ron had immediately traveled by Floo powder to the Ministry with Hermione. Bill, Charlie, and George had followed. Ginny had argued with Ron about being left behind, but when her brother pointed out that Sirius would need her, she had reluctantly agreed to stay behind. Still, she first made both Ron and Hermione promise to return as soon as they knew anything.


Now Ginny sat in the living room with her mother and Fleur. Sirius was on Fleur’s lap, playing with Mr. Weasley’s collection of Muggle keys. No one spoke. No one knew what to say. Sirius must have sensed the tension in the room because he climbed from Fleur’s lap and crawled over to his mother, looking at her expectantly. Ginny smiled sadly at him and lifted him into her lap.


“I wish we could do something!” she exclaimed suddenly. “I feel so useless just sitting here.”


“I know, dear,” Mrs. Weasley said, “but we can’t do anything until Ron gets back.”


Silence fell again.


Two hours later not much more had been said. The women had sat down to dinner, but no one had eaten much. Finally, the fireplace flared. Ron appeared, followed by Hermione and Kingsley.


Ginny jumped to her feet. “What’s happened?” she exclaimed much louder than she had intended.


“Ginny, sit down,” Ron said quietly, touching her arm.


“No!” she yelled, wrenching from his grasp. “Don’t treat me like a child, Ronald! I am his wife and I am not doing anything until you tell me what has happened to my husband!”


Ron sighed. “It looks like he was taken by some Death Eaters. We aren’t sure yet if they want revenge on him or if they are trying to start a rebellion. Either way it looks bad.” He eyed Ginny as if searching her mind, trying to decide what she could handle. She knew he was holding back.


“What?” she pleaded. “Tell me!”


“We intercepted an owl,” Ron sighed, “and it looks like they’re after Sirius.”


A shocked silence followed and Ginny felt fear rushing through her veins. Not Sirius, not her innocent boy. She picked him up and held him to her.


“Why?” she asked. “What do they want with him?”
Ron hesitated, and then said, “We think they want to use him to torture Harry.”


Ginny gasped in disgust. “How could they!” she yelled. Hermione caught her in a tight hug.


“They won’t,” she assured Ginny. “We won’t let them.” She looked to Ron. “What can we do to protect him?”


“He’s not safe here,” Ron said. “It’s the first place they’ll look. Not our place or Godric’s Hollow, either. Some place secure.”


“You mean Grimmauld Place,” Ginny said. Ron nodded.


Kingsley, who had stayed back as Ron explained to his family, finally spoke up.
“I’ll go with you to make sure it’s still secure. We need to move him immediately, and we’ll have to apparate directly onto the front step.”
Ron held up a bundle and Ginny recognized Harry’s invisibility cloak. She took it and looked down at Sirius. Ginny’s heart was breaking. How could she go and hide when Harry was in trouble? But she had to do everything in her power to protect Sirius. She could not let anything happen to him. She knew Harry would want her to protect their son.


With a look back to her family, she headed for the door after Kingsley.


“We’ll come soon,” Ron called after her. She turned and nodded.


“Take care of him, Ron,” she said. “I need him to come home to me.” Ron nodded, his eyes watering, and she Disapparated on the spot.
A Missing Lead by Raeinflight
Author's Notes:
Sorry this has taken so long to get up. If Pondering could check this that would be nice.
Ron was staring out the window in Kingsley’s office. He ran his hands through his hair anxiously. Tired, angry, and discouraged, he was ready to snap.


“Forty-eight hours!” he rounded on Kingsley “Two days and not a single lead. We have no idea who took him or why and we have absolutely no clue where he is!” Kingsley stood and placed his knuckles on his desk. Ron noticed dark circles forming under his superior’s eyes and guessed he probably looked just as drained himself.


“You should not panic,” he said deeply. “We must keep our focus!”


“Focus on what? We have nothing to go on!” Kingsley’s eyes flashed. Ron braced himself for an earful from his equally frustrated boss, but Kingsley was interrupted as a trainee burst through the door. The man was young and short, and from his robes, Ron could see he worked in Magical Intelligence.


“Sir,” the man began, out of breath. “We just detected the use of the Cruciatus Curse.”


It’s about time, Ron thought. “Where?” he nearly screamed at the man.


“Kagley,” he squeaked, looking frightened. Ron’s heart stopped. He lived in Kagley. No! he thought, Not Hermione- not again! He couldn’t let them use that terrible curse on her for the second time! Ron made a sudden move for the door, but Kingsley quickly grabbed his arm.


“Let me go! It’s her, they’ve got her!” Ron’s mind began to spin with rapid images: Hermione with a dozen wands pointed at her, Hermione on the floor at Malfoy Manor, Hermione dirtied and bloody. They swirled around him as he frantically groped for the door.


“It might not be Hermione, Ron.” Kingsley’s voice came clearly and rationally, but Ron had no time for rationality. He opened his mouth to say just that, but Kingsley held up a hand. “You can’t go by yourself. I’m coming with you.” Even in his fit of worry, Ron knew that Kingsley was right. He nodded as his boss opened his office door and yelled down the hall, “Abott, Loftley, Greenwald! Get over here now!”




Hermione lay writhing on the floor in her living room. Her arms were tied behind her back and her ankles were bound. Pain shot through every bone in her body. She screamed. Finally, the pain stopped.

When the Order had reached a dead end Hermione had returned home to attempt some rest only to be ambushed by Death Eaters.

“Where is the boy?” a dark voice yelled in her ear. She could feel his breath on her face.

“I’ll never tell you where he is,” she spat. “I know you’ll kill me and I won’t let you take him too.” Immediately she knew she’d made a huge mistake. She’d given away her leverage. They had no reason to keep her alive. Fortunately, the Death Eater ignored her.

“Oh, you’ll talk,” he sneered, “it’ll just take some persuasion.”

The pain shot through her again. She wished that if they were going to kill her they would just get it over with instead of dragging it out like this. The pain subsided again and she thought of Ron. She pictured his face. It was the face he made whenever things were getting really bad. In her mind’s eye she could see his fierce eyes and the little muscle in his jaw swell as he clenched his teeth. The image gave her courage. He had always been strong for her. She wandered what the chances were for a rescue. Perhaps right now Ron was discovering the use of the curse, maybe he was on his way right now to save her. She imagined the little flat being stormed by Aurors and the Death Eaters falling to the ground.

The Death Eater was speaking again. She guessed he was the leader, but he wore a mask and she didn’t recognise his voice. She set her jaw and didn’t say a word. They were getting impatient now and began to fire spells at her from around the room. She was overcome with the pain. Her vision began to blur, and her right ankle snapped, as the back of her left shoulder split open and she began to bleed. Hermione hoped for a miracle.

Suddenly she heard a loud crack followed by a few shouts. The Death Eater’s concentration broke and the curse lifted again. Hermione strained to see what was happening, but her vision was still blurry. She only saw jets of green and purple light as darkness began to creep in to the sides of her mind. Just before she blacked out she felt someone pick her up. She hoped the man carrying her was a friend.



Ron looked down at his wife, now cradled in his arms. “Hermione,” he pleaded desperately. “Come on, baby, wake up. Don’t give up on me now.” She didn’t move but he felt a pulse. Relieved, he gently laid her down and surveyed the rest of her body. Her shoulder was bleeding badly and her ankle was swollen black and blue. He ripped the edge of his robe off and used it to bandage her shoulder, then cast a healing spell to slow the bleeding. It was all he knew to do. He had to get her to St. Mungo’s, and fast.

Kingsley came up next to Ron. “Is she alright?”

“She’s unconscious. We’ve got to get her to St. Mungo’s.”

“Abott too, he lost a few toes. Severing charm,” Kingsley said pointing to the Auror slouched against the wall wincing, his foot in bloody wrappings.

“What about the Death Eaters?” Ron asked, turning his attention from Hermione for the first time.

“There were six. Four were Stunned and two Apparated. They’ll be impossible to trace. We’ll take these back for interrogation.” He motioned to the unconscious Death Eaters. “You take Hermione and I’ll send Greenwald with Abott. Loftley and I will handle these four.” Ron nodded, picked up Hermione and Apparated to St. Mungo’s



Hours later Hermione’s eyes fluttered open. Her vision had been restored. She saw the relieved face of Ron looking down at her from her bedside. He looked exhausted. He hadn’t shaved in days, his hair was a mess and his robes were disheveled and torn. To her, he had never looked better.

“Ron,” she croaked.

“Shh. I’m here,” he said softly. “Don’t talk, just listen. Hermione, I’m so sorry. I’m sorry I didn’t get there sooner, I’m sorry I didn’t protect you better. I’m sorry this happened to you again.”

“Not-you-fault,” she managed. He smiled slightly and kissed her forehead.

“I love you.”

“Love- you.” Now his smile widened and he touched her cheek gently.

“It’s going to be all right love, you’re going to be fine. You just need to rest.” He felt as though he were saying it more to assure himself than anything. His hands were shaking and he took a deep breath trying to steady them. He was completely undone and had only one reason… he had almost lost her.

“Harry?” she asked, the pain evident in her voice. Ron took her hand and held it to his lips.

“We’re going to find him, I promise.” That seemed to calm her and she fell back to sleep.

Ron felt torn in two. He had to find Harry and protect Ginny and Sirius. He knew that if it were him, Harry would be doing everything in his power to find him. He knew that Harry would protect his family and not rest until he had been found. Ron intended to do just that, but still, he could not just leave Hermione. Here she was unprotected and alone. He could never allow her to wake up and be afraid, or worse attacked again. What a mess this was.

“Ron,” came a sing song voice from behind him. He smiled and turned around.

“Luna,” he said coming towards her. She hugged him. She looked the same as she always did. Her long blond hair fell just below her waist, she was wearing purple robes and had small radishes hanging from her ears.

“I came as soon as I got word. She’s alright then?” she nodded towards Hermione.

“Yeah, she’s going to be fine. It was a close one, though.” Ron felt slightly awkward. He had never been particularly close with Luna. Still, she had a way of sensing people and he felt she would understand his feelings. “I don’t know what to do,” he chanced. “I don’t want to leave her. Not like this. But Harry’s still out there somewhere and we’ve got to find him.”

Luna appeared lost in dream-like thought for a moment and then said, “I can look after her.” It was more of a statement than a suggestion. Ron looked back at his wife, now sleeping peacefully. She would be alright; Luna would look after her and could protect her. He knew that even though Luna seemed a bit off at times, she was a good witch and had held her own in battle many times.

“Alright, Thank you.” he said. “You’ll explain to her where I’ve gone?”

Luna nodded. “She will understand.”

Ron went to his wife’s side. “I love you, Hermione,” he whispered. Then he kissed her gently on the cheek and left.



Ginny was beyond restless. Poor Sirius felt it too. They had both been cooped up in the house for almost three days. Kingsley came and went regularly to check in on them and to bring them food and news. However, there hadn’t really been any news to tell. Ginny maintained that no news was good news, but that was becoming less and less comforting as the hours passed.

Ginny had long ago run out of ways to entertain Sirius. She knew he could sense her anxiety and it made him fussy. She carried him up the stairs as quietly as she could so as not to wake the portrait of Mrs. Black. She reached the landing and opened the door to the first bedroom. It had been Harry’s room. He and Ron had lived at Grimmauld Place for a few months after the war while the Potter Manor at Godric’s Hollow was under construction. Harry and Ginny had married only a year after the war and moved into the manor.

The room looked almost the same as it had when Harry was living there. Ginny began to hum softly to her son as she looked around the room remembering all the times she had visited him here.

“Ginny, what are you doing here?” Harry asked, surprised, when she burst through the door.

“What are you doing here?” she accused. “You were supposed to meet me in Diagon Alley and hour ago!”

His face fell. “Oh, Ginny, I’m so sorry I forgot.”

“What’s going on with you, Harry? You’ve been so distracted lately it makes me wonder if you even want to keep seeing me!” A look of panic flashed across his face and she felt a little sorry for the way she had exploded on him. He jumped up and grabbed her hands, looking her right in the eye.

“Of course I want to keep seeing you. You’re the best part of my life!”

“Then what’s going on?” she said crossly. He slumped down onto his bed again and ran his hands through his hair.

“I don’t know,” he said. She sat down next to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Don’t give me that, Harry! I know you. You’ve got something going on in that head of yours and I’m not going to let you keep it inside anymore!” she said quietly but firmly. “You have me. You can talk to me.”

“How can you say that!” he burst out. “Look at all the pain I have caused you. I’m a mess! I have nothing to give you. I have no family, I didn’t finish school, the ministry is always all over me for endorsement, I can’t leave the house without being accosted by reporters from The Prophet. Everyone knows my name! Think about it Ginny! If we…if you and I…,” he hesitated, “if we were to be together, I could never give you a life of peace. I can’t give you a life you deserve!”

Ginny was shocked. It had all poured from him so fast; he must have been holding it in for a long time. She slid off the bed and knelt in front of him. She placed her hands on his knees and looked up into his eyes.

“You are the one I want.” She spoke slowly and with as much strength as she could. “You, Harry Potter, and no one else. I want you and everything that comes with you. You have a family.” She pulled his hands to her heart. “I am your family now. You aren’t alone anymore. We will deal with all this together. No matter what happens, we will get through it.” Harry’s eyes were wide as he looked down at her.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“Yes I’m sure.”

Now he slid off the bed and knelt facing her on the floor. He looked into her eyes as if searching them. Slowly he pulled out his wand, pointed it at his desk, and whispered, “Accio Ring.”

Ginny gasped as a tiny black box came zooming towards them and landed in Harry’s hand. With his other hand he grasped hers.

“Ginny,” he said, emotion filling his voice, “I know life with me won’t be easy,” he held up a hand to silence her protests, “but I promise I will always love you with my whole heart and I will do everything in my power to make you happy.” She was near tears now. “Marry me, Ginny.” His eyes searched her face desperately.

“Yes!” she said throwing her arms around his neck. “I love you.”


“I love you,” she whispered to the empty room. She looked down and noticed that Sirius had fallen asleep in her arms. She conjured a cot for him and collapsed on the bed. “Harry, where are you?” she murmured. Then she fell asleep.



“Eh? Yer sure tha’s how it happened?”

“Yes, then he brought her here and asked me to look after her.”

“Well I ‘ave ere a letter from him askin’ me ter watcher. Ang on there. This ‘ere says… oh, now where’d I put that….”

Hermione knew these voices. She just couldn’t remember. She couldn’t remember why she was lying down and she couldn’t figure out how she had got there. She only knew she had to figure out who was standing over her before she dared to open her eyes. She listened.

“Ere it is. Eh. Let’s see ‘ere. Are you Luna then?”

“Yes.”

“Says here I’m s’posed ta help you look after Hermione. Not to let anythin’ happen to her.”

“Alright.”

Luna? Who is Luna? Hermione thought hard. She knew she remembered. She felt something brush the side of her head. She heard a fluttering and a tiny beak nipped at her ear.

“Pig.” She whispered. The tiny owl hooted in reply. It was coming back to her now.

“’Old on, I think she’s wakin’. Alright, Hermione?”

“Hagrid?” she croaked. Her eyes opened slowly and she saw him standing there as big and burly as ever. Next to him was Luna, smiling down at her with a twinkle in her eye. Sunlight poured into the clean room from a window by the bed.

“Alright there, Hermione?” Hagrid repeated. “Me n’ Pig jus’ got ‘ere.”

“Ron sent you.” Hermione shuddered as the previous night came back to her and she recalled how Ron had saved her once again.

“I reckon’ he had some business ter take car of,” Hagrid said smiling.

Luna sat next to Hermione’s bed and took her hand.

“He’s gone to look for Harry,” Hermione said softly. Luna nodded. Understanding passed between them. Hermione was glad to have Luna there. She felt a kinship with her after all that had happened. They had been through quite a lot together and it seemed to Hermione that they were war buddies now faced with the old familiar threats.

“Harry! What’s wrong with Harry?” Hagrid asked interrupting her thoughts.

“Oh, Hagrid,” Hermione said. “Sit down, and I’ll explain everything.



Later that evening Ron sat at his desk sifting through the clutter. He felt that he was missing something, something important. The captured Death Eaters had been almost no help. Even though they had been given Veritaserum, it seemed that all they really knew was that Lucius Malfoy had sent them to find information about Sirius. This did not sit well with Ron. Although he thought Lucius was a giant git, he also knew that he had been very high up during the war, even if he had fallen out of favour with Voldemort in the end. Ron hoped that Malfoy was not out to redeem himself.

It was possible that Lucius was not in charge and that someone else was leading the Death Eaters, but Ron found it hard to imagine anyone else. All other Death Eaters that had been close to Voldemort were now in Azkaban or dead. Malfoy claimed that he had been under the Imperius curse and since Narcissa had helped Harry during the last battle, they were able to sweet talk the council into letting them go free. Ron and Harry had been outraged, as well as Hermione, who had been tortured at Malfoy Manor. At first Ron and Harry had monitored Lucius closely, but eventually they slipped into a sense of security. Now he was leading all of this? The idea made Ron sick to his stomach. His mind flashed back to the time at Malfoy Manor. Hearing Hermione’s screams had been the worst moment in his life. He had been powerless to help her.

He suddenly had an overwhelming urge to see her. He had to be sure she was alright, and he was stuck. He had no idea how to find Harry. In the past whenever they’d been stuck, Hermione was always the one to come up with something. So he Apparated to St. Mungo’s.

When he arrived, the first thing he noticed was the huge form of Hagrid sleeping in a chair in the corner. He smiled and walked to the bed looking down at his wife. She was sleeping peacefully. He looked up gratefully at Luna who was standing guard by the bed.

“How is she?” he asked.

“She’s fine, she just seems a bit tired.”

“We should move her someplace safe in the morning.”

“She’ll be ok,” Luna assured him.

Ron pulled up a chair and took Hermione’s hand in his. He gently ran his thumb over her knuckles. “I can’t believe I almost lost you again,” he whispered. “If we hadn’t detected the curse…” he paused. “We think it may be Malfoy. Explains why they went for you after what happened last time. Merlin Hermione, I never thought we’d have to relive that. If Dobby hadn’t come-” Ron started. Of course! How had he missed it? House elves had powers beyond some Wizarding restrictions. A house elf might be able to get to Harry! He needed Kreacher. Ron couldn’t call him, but Ginny could. He kissed Hermione’s forehead. With a nod at Luna he left for Grimmauld Place.
The Missing Elf by Raeinflight
Author's Notes:
Sorry this took so long guys, I've been in Eastern Europe for the past couple months. I know there isn't a whole lot of information given in this chapter, but it will come together soon!
Kreacher had been living at the Potter Manor in Godric’s Hollow ever since Harry and Ginny had married and moved in there. It hadn’t been difficult to convince him to move because by then he loved his master and his loyalties were evident. The Potters were always very kind to him and he did his best to be as great a help as he could.

Kreacher had even been there for the birth of the Potter child, who was born at home. Truth be told, Kreacher, who had never really cared much for young children, had grown quite fond of the boy. Sirius seemed to care just as much for the elf as for his parents.

“Oh Kreacher, what would I ever do without you?” Miss Ginny would say whenever he would entertain or quiet the boy.

Yes, Kreacher loved the Potters. That was why he had begun to worry when they disappeared. In the past the family always informed the elf when they were going on holiday. Where had they gone now, and why had they left all of their things? Even Sirius’ toys and clothes remained. Kreacher knew something was not right. He locked up the Manor and prepared to defend it. He waited for them to call for him, but if they did not, he would protect their home for their return.



Ginny awoke with a start. Sirius was crying. She moved to pick him up and then she realized what had woken her. There was a noise coming from inside the house. Someone was coming up the stairs! In one movement she cast a silencing charm on her son and threw Harry’s invisibility cloak over the cradle. She faced the door, her wand at the ready, her heart pounding wildly in her chest. The doorknob turned slowly.

“Ginny?”

It was Ron. She breathed a sigh of relief and lowered her wand as her brother entered the room.

“You’re lucky,” she said, “I almost hexed you into last year.”

“Sorry,” he said, “I didn’t mean to scare you. Where’s Sirius?”

Ginny quickly lifted the charm on the boy and pulled off the cloak. She took him into her arms trying to calm him.

“He’s quite fussy,” Ron commented wrinkling his nose.

“He needs his father. Any news on Harry?”

“I have an idea, but I need your help. Can you call for Kreacher? He’s still at Godric’s Hollow?”

“Yes,” she studied his face. “Do you think he can find Harry?”

“It’s worth a try.”

“Alright,” she took a deep breath and called out hesitantly: “Kreacher?”

There was a loud crack and the little elf appeared. “Miss Ginny,” he said bowing his head. His eyes grew wide as he took in his surroundings and recognized his former home.

“Hello, Kreacher,” Ginny said, smiling at the elf. Kreacher turned his attention back to his mistress.

“Miss Ginny!” the elf said now in awe. “Kreacher is so sorry, Kreacher was a bad elf and Master Harry and Mistress Ginny and Young Master Sirius have gone away, and before she could stop him, giant sized tears began rolling down his face.

“Kreacher no! Stop!” Ginny cried. The elf was now sobbing. Ginny knelt next to him. “No Kreacher, you were not bad, you are a very good elf.” He looked up at her with round glistening eyes. “I’m sorry we left.”

Ron sat down in the desk chair. He was feeling a bit woozy at the familiarity of this encounter with Kreacher. Ginny looked over to her brother.

“I can’t ask him to do this, Ron; I can’t put him in danger like this.”

“Ginny,” Ron said solemnly, “he may be Harry’s only hope.”

Ginny nodded. “Kreacher, I need your help. Harry is in trouble.”

Kreacher jumped to his feet. “Kreacher can help, Kreacher will help Master Harry!” he said urgently nodding his head profusely.

Ron left the chair and crouched down next to him. “Right Kreacher, we need you to see if you can find Harry, then come back here and tell us where he is.”

“Kreacher will do it, Master Ron!”

“Kreacher!” Ginny said quickly, “you must be very careful. He could be someplace very dangerous.” There was fear and anxiety in her voice.

“Kreacher will! Kreacher will be careful and find Master Harry and bring him back!”

“No Kreacher!” Ron exclaimed, “Don’t bring him back, just find him. It’s too dangerous.”

“Kreacher will Master Ron!” Then the little elf dissaperated. Ginny sat staring at the spot where he had been for a few minutes.

“Ginny…”

“I know he may be the only one who can find Harry, but I hope this isn’t a repeat of what happened with Dobby.”

“Don’t worry; this isn’t the first time that Kreacher has helped us out.”

“I know, I just don’t like it.” She picked up Sirius. “How are Hermione and everyone? I’ve been going crazy without any news.”

Ron looked down at his feet. “Hermione was attacked, Ginny.”

“What?!” Ginny was immediately filled with panic and dread. It was an oddly familiar feeling to her. It reminded her of the war, of worrying about her closest friends and family. She hated the idea of hiding out here while they were in danger. “When?” she asked.

“Yesterday.”

“What?! Ron! How could you not tell me? Is she alright?”

“She’s fine. I didn’t want to worry you.” Ready to rail on him for keeping her in the dark she narrowed her eyes and looked at him. His shoulders sagged and he rubbed his temples. Ginny could see the last few days etched across his face. She sighed heavily. Her poor brother, how could she be angry with him, he was doing everything he could to keep his family from falling apart. She went to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Do you want some tea?”

He shook his head. “No, I have to get to St. Mungos. I think we should bring her here. She was attacked at home, so I don’t want her back there.”

Ginny nodded. “Of course, can I help?”

“No, stay with Sirius, I’ll bring her round as soon as I can.”

“Ron,” Ginny caught his eye. She opened her mouth to say something, but no words came. He gave her a small smile.

“I know,” he whispered. He wrapped his arms around her and Sirius in one big hug. On his way out the door he looked back and sent her another tiny smile, and then he left.



Moving Hermione had been very difficult. She was weak, and Apparating was hard on her. Just to be safe, Ron took her by Floo powder to George’s shop and Apparated to Number Twelve Grimmauld Place from there. When she arrived she was exhausted. Ginny had rushed her right into bed.

Two days later, she awoke feeling much better and quite rested. Now seated in the living room, she could feel her mind awakening and she felt sharp and ready. She only hoped she could be of some use now.

She was listening intently to Ginny bustling about in the kitchen when the fireplace flared and the head of her former Professor Minerva McGonagall appeared.

Hermione jumped from the sofa, but immediately regretted it as she felt every muscle in her body protest. She knelt by the fireplace.

“Hello, Hermione,” McGonagall greeted.

“Hello, Minerva, is everything alright?”

“I’m afraid not. Where is Ginny?”

Hermione called to Ginny over her shoulder. Ginny came into the room carrying Sirius, whose face was covered in baby cereal. When she saw McGonagall’s head flickering in the hearth, she hurried to kneel next to Hermione.

“What is it Professor?” she asked urgently. Hermione could hear the fright in her voice. They both knew that an unexpected message from McGonagall, who until this moment had not been a part of this crisis, could only mean that something had happened.

“Ginny, I’ve just had a visit from your house elf.”

“Kreacher? Why did he go to you?”

“He was apparently sent by your husband.” Hermione’s heart beat wildly in her chest. Harry was alive! At least he had been a few moments ago.

“Harry!” Ginny exclaimed. “Where is he? Is he alright?” Hermione could see a mix of panic and relief in her sister-in-law’s face. She was sure her heart was beating as quickly as her own.

“I think it is best that we meet elsewhere to discuss this matter, but I believe it is of grave importance that you move Sirius to a more secure location.”

“What? Where is more safe than Grimmauld Place?” Hermione interjected.

“I do not know, but Harry seems to think that the boy is in danger and I think it wise to move him until we are sure he is safe.” McGonagall’s face looked urgent and her words were quick. “I must go it’s not safe to keep in contact for so long. Good Luck.” And with that she was gone and the fire burned out. Hermione and Ginny were left staring at the ashes in wonder. They were startled when they heard the sound of Ron entering the house.

“Ron!” Ginny exclaimed jumping up and rushing to him. The details of the cryptic message from McGonagall were pouring out of her mouth like rushing water.

“Slow down, Ginny. Kreacher found Harry and what, you want to move Sirius?” He looked very puzzled. Hermione stood and took his hand.

“Ron, I think this is much more than just revenge on Harry. I think for some reason, they are actually after Sirius.”





Harry Potter was tired, hungry, and bleeding in so many places he had lost track. He had not seen his family in days and was unsure if he would ever see them again. Harry had hated the man now standing next to him since he was twelve years old. He could smell his hair oil and the scent of his minty alcohol mouthwash. The mixture was utterly revolting.

“I hope you enjoy this,” Malfoy sneered, spitting in Harry’s ear before leaving the room abruptly.”

The dark figure loomed by the door behind him, sneering. Harry could see a wand concealed beneath the cloak. It is the unknown that is the greatest to fear. Not knowing what this phantom would do to him, not knowing if he would be forced to reveal something about his family. Yet, he had faced Voldemort, the darkest wizard that had ever lived. He had faced him many times and he had defeated him. Harry was sure that whatever lurked beneath the hood could not be as dangerous as that Dark Lord that he had met with just five years ago.

Mustering every ounce of Gryffindor courage he possessed, Harry lifted his head, set his jaw and faced the dark form now taking determined steps towards him.
Hit or Miss by Raeinflight
Author's Notes:
I haven't updated this story in several years! However, I always intended to finish it and today is the day I get back to it! I hope that if you liked this story before, you find it again, and if you have never read it, that you find something you like here!
As we all know, JKR is the real genius behind the wizarding world, I'm just playing in it!


The dark figure loomed by the door behind him, sneering. Harry could see a wand concealed beneath the cloak. It is the unknown that is the greatest to fear. Not knowing what this phantom would do to him, not knowing if he would be forced to reveal something about his family. Yet, he had faced Voldemort, the darkest wizard that had ever lived. He had faced him many times and he had defeated him. Harry was sure that whatever lurked beneath the hood could not be as dangerous as that Dark Lord that he had met with just five years ago.

Mustering every ounce of Gryffindor courage he possessed, Harry lifted his head, set his jaw and faced the dark form now taking determined steps towards him.

From within the dark robes the figure produced a wrinkled dirty hand which lifted to its head and grasped its hood, pulling it down to reveal its face.

Harry burst out laughing. –You have got to be kidding me!” he exclaimed. –Karkaroff! Are you orchestrating this? How in the hell did you get anyone to follow your orders?”

The bearded Bulgarian was a tall dirty man who Harry knew had seen better days. His eyes had dark circles beneath them and his teeth were incredibly grimy he was even missing a few teeth. His weak chin, once sporting a styled goatee, now carried a full beard which had grown in quite patchy.

Either way, the man was really not very frightening at all especially since Harry himself had seen him run for his life at the start of the second war. The idea that he was now in charge was laughable. Still, considering the circumstances, Harry’s outburst did not help his situation at all and perhaps he was behaving too confidently for a man who had been tied up and tortured for the last four days. It just seemed to him to be so outrageous that this man who had been so weak and cowardly in Harry’s fourth year was actually running this operation that he could not hide his surprise. At any rate, he immediately regretted his reaction as the Bulgarian hit him with a spell which caused his nose to break and blood began pouring down his face.

His attacker was seething from the insults that Harry had expressed and spat in Harry’s face before responding cruelly: –You think you are so special, Potter! Ever since I met you at that tournament you have been an arrogant child. It is not difficult to convince others to follow you if you have the right information. Once they see just how valuable your knowledge is, they will follow you anywhere.”

–What is it that you want, Karkaroff? To kill me and have your revenge?”

The Bulgarian laughed cruelly at that. –Potter, you think this is about getting revenge on you? We would not waste our time. We want someone far more valuable to us!”

At this confession Harry’s mind began reeling with worry and dread. Over the past four days, he had heard other Death Eaters muttering to each other and mentioning –the child”. He had feared for some time that they were actually after Sirius and the longer they kept Harry alive the more his fear grew. But what could they possibly want with his son? They obviously didn’t want him for ransom, they already had Harry. They didn’t want to use him to get revenge on Harry as they seemed not to care much about that. So what did they want with his child? What could his innocent little boy give them that would be of any use? Then another thought struck him: was it possible that they meant Ginny? Both ideas were incredibly distressing. Harry closed his eyes and pictured his family. He took comfort in the fact that he felt absolutely sure that Ron was protecting them. He was also quite sure that his best mate had brought the full weight of the Auror department into the search for him and the protection of his wife and son. Still, as much as he trusted Ron with the lives of his family, Harry was overcome with panic. What could they do if they did not realize that they were in danger?

In his panic, he forgot to pay attention to the slimy git who was attempting to taunt him and began to frantically search for a way to get a message to his family. His eyes scanned the walls of the cave for maybe the thousandth time that week. There was really no chance for escape unless he could overpower one of his guards. The cave was buried deep within a cluster of caves and was enclosed but for a heavy steel door that had been installed. It was a rather ingenious way of keeping a prisoner. Harry was also pretty certain that the caves were near where his godfather had once hidden while Harry was at school. He recognized the particular green glistening on the rock. Magic had been hiding here for some time.

Karkaroff was growing increasingly more annoyed with Harry’s lack of attention and spat in his face again. For a moment this had the desired effect as Harry responded by straightening and looking him square in the eye, but poor Karkaroff was not expecting this and was taken aback by the eye contact. He faltered backwards and coughed loudly to cover himself. He recovered quickly and punched Harry with a strong right hook. Now it was Harry’s turn to be surprised and he bent over in the chair sputtering from the blood flowing from his broken nose.

–I vill give you a chance to sink about vhat I have said.” the Bulgarian said and spat at Harry again before leaving the room. Harry could hear him casting locking charms on the door and then he was alone again.

Harry was still spiting blood and had not had a chance to clear his head when there was a loud familiar crack. –Kreacher!” he exclaimed. There stood the little house elf looking very tired and very worried. Harry’s hands were still tied behind his back, so he turned his head, trying to wipe his face on the shoulder of his shirt.

–Here, Master Harry, Kreacher will help!” cried Kreacher, running forwards and producing a small handkerchief which he used to wipe the blood gently from Harry’s face. The elderly elf’s eyes filled with tears as he took in the condition of his master.

–Don’t worry, Kreacher,” Harry assured him, –I’m ok.” The elf did not look convinced, but he seemed to perk up when Harry suggested that he untie his hands. Relief flooded his arms as they were released from behind his back. He rubbed his sore wrists gratefully and turned back to his house elf.

–Kreacher, how did you find me?” Harry asked.

–Master Ron and Mistress Ginny sent Kreacher to look for Master Harry,” the elf said proudly, puffing out his chest.

Harry could not contain his smile at the mention of his family. Kreacher looked very pleased that he had caused this reaction.

However, urgency was still pressing in the back of Harry’s mind. –Where are they?” he whispered quickly, –Are they alright? Is Sirius alright?”

Kreacher nodded rapidly –Young Master Sirius is safe at Grimmauld Place with Mistress Ginny.”

Harry paced the little cave rubbing his chin. That was no good. Grimmauld Place, while well protected, was also well known. Although Karkaroff was a git, he seemed to be well organised. Harry knew that he could trust Ron and Ginny to care for his son, but he had to get a message to them. Kreacher interrupted his thoughts:

–Kreacher will go to Master Ron and tell him where Master Harry is!” he exclaimed cheerfully.

–No, Kreacher,” Harry sighed, running his hand through his thick black hair. –You must not go back to Grimmauld Place. Go to Professor McGonagall at Hogwarts. Give her a message. Tell her that Sirius is in danger, tell her that he is not safe where he is being kept. Tell her to go to Ginny and get Sirius out! Then stay at Hogwarts and stay safe. Do you understand?”

The elf’s eyes were wide and he was nodding his head profusely. –Thank you, Kreacher.” Harry said placing a hand on the faithful old elf’s tiny shoulder. –You are a good friend to us.” At this, Kreachers eyes welled with tears and he bowed low. –Go!” Harry said gratefully and the elf Disapparated with another loud crack.

Harry was grateful for the steel door then. Although it was very heavy and impossible for him to move without magic, it had protected his conversation with Kreacher and kept the sound of the elf leaving from being heard. Now that he was free fro his binds, Harry needed a plan. He had no wand, no light, and nothing in the room but the dirty old wooden chair. With no other options, he would have to use force. He had never been much of a fighter, but he realized that he had surprise on his side and that would have to be enough. He picked up the chair and stood by the door ready to act when next it opened. With nothing to do but wait, he silently hoped that his family would not suffer, no matter how it turned out for him and he hoped that his elf would reach McGonagall in time.

And he had. Ron had used every available Auror to guard Ginny and Sirius during the transfer. It had been decided that the safest place for the boy would be somewhere that no one would ever think to look; a muggle village just outside of London. The cottage was completely untraceable to the department. It had been purchased with Muggle money by a wizard who owned a small shop in Hogsmeade.

When they arrived, Ginny made sure that Sirius was settled in his cot (he had fallen asleep during the journey) and then she rounded on Ron. –Don’t think that now that Sirius is safe I am just going to sit here and wait while you try to find my husband!” she cried, shaking her index finger at him. –You find me someone we trust to look after Sirius. I can’t just stay safe while Harry is out there somewhere maybe being tortured or killed! I’m not-– But Ron interrupted her.

–Ginny, I know.” he said, laughing softly at her. She stopped, finger still pointing in mid air.

–You do?”

Then Ginny heard a familiar voice behind her. –Ginny dear, you’ll wake Sirius if you don’t keep your voice down.”

–Mum!” Ginny exclaimed rushing to her mother who opened her arms and crushed her in a motherly hug the way she had since Ginny was a child. She could not help but shed a few tears then. The past week had been stressful. She was worried, she was worried about Harry, about Sirius, and she was scared that she would lose them. She was torn between staying and protecting her son and going and searching for her husband. The battle within her was nearly tearing her apart, but knowing that her mother was there, that she had Molly Weasley protecting her son, she knew he would be safe and that she could go.

Hours later Ginny was alone and scowering the caves near Hogwarts. She had somehow gotten separated from Ron, not difficult to do since the terrain was rocky and there were so many caves to search. She wasn’t worried though because the place was now crawling with Aurors. She reached the mouth of yet another cave and threw a searching orb into it. She listened as it bounced around inside, suddenly she heard the orb omit a few musical notes to indicate remnants of magic. This is what she had been waiting for! She called out to the other Aurors, but no one was in earshot. Ginny was torn, what should she do? It could be nothing inside the cave. The orb could have simply detected an old spell used by a witch or wizard hiding out here many years ago. However, there was always the chance that this was it; that her husband was locked away deep inside and was being tortured or worse! She couldn’t take the chance to leave and go get help. She quickly cast a patronus to Ron, telling him what she had found and that she was going to search the cave and then she stepped inside.

The walls of the cave were shining, but solid. She remembered Harry’s story about how he and Dumbledore had once gone after a horcrux in his sixth year. –Payment must be made,” she whispered. She used her wand to cut a gash in her hand and let the blood drip into the wall. It changed into a long narrow hallway. Her heart raced. Maybe she could do this, dark magic wasn’t that difficult to figure out.

She walked carefully down the hall, lighting her wand when she could no longer see in front of her. But she was too confident, Ginny suddenly found herself surrounded by Death Eaters. They seemed to have come right out of the walls. She had walked right into a trap! Panic threatened her, but she would not let it seize her. She forced herself to quickly rationalize. She was surrounded and there was no way she could fight them all off. What good would she be to Harry if she were dead? She would have to hope that her brother would get her message. Very carefully, Ginny placed her wand at her feet and held up her hands in surrender.



The Death Eaters brought Ginny before Karkaroff and she had had a similar reaction to seeming him there as Harry had. She was rewarded in kind with a swift kick in the stomach by one of her guards. Karkaroff was getting increasingly angry by the not surprising lack of respect. Ginny was still sputtering when he neared her and grabbed her chin with his grimy hands. He forced her to look directly into his yellowing eyes and sneered at her. Then he said:

–I have a propostion for you Mrs. Potter.” Ginny flinched at the smell of his breath, but he continued: –I will release your husband to you, you need only to hand your child over to me.”

Had her cheeks been free of his grasp, Ginny would have replied that there was no way in hell that she was going to give her son to him and that he had better release her husband to her or he would very well get his bits blown off, but she could only grunt and make her eyes wide.

–No?,” Karkaroff guessed her answer, –Now my dear, I do not think that you are thinking it through. The rebellion has begun. It will not be long before we have your son. Now if you want to risk his life in the process and also allow me to kill your husband, you go ahead, but I can assure you that I will raise your son as my own. He will be well cared for , my dear, and at least he will be alive.”

Aside from the shock she felt at realizing that Karkaroff wanted to raise her son (WHY?), it also really bugged Ginny that Karkaroff kept calling her my dear. It was creepy. He finally released her face and looked at her expectantly, as if he really thought she might consider his offer.

Ginny decided to probe for information. –What is it that you want with my son, Karkaroff, if not to kill him?”

–I want to raise him as my own. Is that so hard to believe?”

–Yes.”

Karkaroff laughed, well cackled is more like it. –Fair enough, I will tell you how important your child is to the world as you seem not to know yourself. Many moons ago, a prophecy was made of your child:

There will be one who will choose between the light and the dark

Born in a place of power where a dark lord was once killed

Named for the one who suffered in chains

Within this child new power will take hold

And upset the balance between dark magic, and light”

Ginny was stunned. –That fits your child does it not Mrs. Potter? You see, my dear, ever since your husband,” he spat, –killed our Dark Lord, the balance of dark and light has been leaning heavily toward the light. Your son is the key to bringing about change. I will teach him to control his power and change the world. I will make him a great wizard, the greatest wizard that ever lived.”


–I will never, in a million years give my son to you for any reason and there is nothing that you can offer me or threaten me with that will change my mind,” Ginny growled at him.

Karkaroff smiled, if you can call it that. The crooked expression he was making was something of a half smile half sneer.

–Then there is nothing stopping me from disposing of you, my dear.”

He raised his wand.
End Notes:
Don't be mad I ended it on a cliff hanger! The next chapter will be here soon!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81483