One True Love by leahsm2
Summary: In two very different bedrooms, two very different girls prepared themselves for a winter ball. They both primped and preened and made themselves ready. They also both looked up at the moon as it rose gently in the grey winter sky and fervently wished for the exact same thing.
I am leahsm2 of Slytherin and this is my entry for Prompt Three - Melting a Winter Heart of the Winter Snows Challenge 2008

Categories: Melting a Winter Heart Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1872 Read: 2300 Published: 12/15/08 Updated: 12/23/08

1. One True Love by leahsm2

One True Love by leahsm2
Astoria removed her new dress robes from the box and laid them carefully on the bed. She had admired the fabric on an earlier shopping trip with her mother and older sister, never dreaming she’d have the nerve to ever actually wear it. It was a beautiful midnight blue, with flowers clinging softly to their vines. The flowers were in soft opaque shades, illuminated on the edges with vibrant colour. Unfortunately, the fabric was also relatively sheer, cascading down in subtle pleats. She had felt a bit unseemly when she’d gone alone to the shop to be fitted for the robes, but the effect was truly stunning. The material flowed gently along her slight curves, accentuating her figure, while the dark color made the soft pink shades of her skin luminous. She hadn’t had the nerve to show the robes to her mother, but had no qualms now.

“Pansy is all atwitter about the Malfoy’s Annual Winter Ball,” Daphne had teased on the morning Astoria decided to have the robes made. “What, with all of the upsetting circumstances of the past few years, you can imagine her delight when she received Mrs. Malfoy’s owl intimating that this year’s ball would be particularly important.”

Astoria set the hair brush she was using on the small table beside her looking glass, her hands shaking suddenly as she relived the anger she had felt when Daphne had looked directly at her while delivering this message. As usual, her older sister had expected Astoria to be crushed by this bit of gossip. But not this time. This time it had made Astoria more resolved. Astoria took the small golden comb lying on her table and carefully entwined it in her hair, capturing the upper portions and gently pulling it up, letting the rest of her hair fell gently down to her waist. She smiled happily back at the girl in her mirror, for once secure in the depths of her own beauty.

Astoria stood for a moment, hesitating before leaving the comfort of her room. Her owl, Ludwig, suddenly caught her eye as he perched on the window, cocking his head at her quizzically. She walked over to give him a small treat, and then she noticed it, the moon in its first phases, silently beginning it ascent. She gazed at the silver crescent, allowing her desires and hidden wishes to overtake her thoughts. She felt jealous tears fall hotly onto her cheeks as she thought of Draco, hopelessly ensnared by another. She closed her eyes, willing herself to go forward with her plan. Astoria quickly left her room, ready to do battle.

“Astoria, what have you gotten yourself made up for?” Daphne laughed, as she watched her ignorant little sister prance down the stairs. “Honestly, Mother, you aren’t going to allow her to . . .”

“Hush, Daphne,” Mrs. Greengrass said quietly.

It was true: If those robes had been on a more amply endowed witch, the effect would have been outrageous, but, oh, how entrancing Astoria looked. Astoria had come down the stairs with a confidence Mrs. Greengrass had never seen in her before, and she would do everything in her power to shield her youngest from the poisonous tongue of her eldest.

~~~~~


Pansy Parkinson sat carefully dabbing a bit of the essence of rose petals infused for a month in a gleaming bath of amethyst, onto various pulse points on her body. The mixture was made for girls who were to become newly engaged; the belief being that the rose petals would enhance the girl’s charms, while the amethyst would defuse the passions as behooved a young woman about to become a bride. Pansy had smirked bemusedly behind her grandmother’s back when the old crone had solemnly presented her with it that morning.

If she only knew, Pansy thought, laughing as she recalled her many happy nights in Draco’s arms.

Pansy looked at herself in her mirror and puckered her lips, blowing a kiss at the wondrous creature before her. She looked in the corner of the glass and caught a glimpse of the moon, her thoughts turning to Draco. Finally, he would be hers, officially and forever. There was a glint of steel embedded in her clear blue eyes as she relished this moment of triumph.

“Oh, Pansy,” Mrs. Parkinson exclaimed, as her daughter descended the stairway. “You look beautiful.”

Pansy blushed, more than thrilled with the results she had achieved, but there was something more. There was an aura of happiness that surrounded her, as she knew tonight would be the night, and the elation she felt as she anticipated her special moment gave her beauty an added facet. She beamed at her mother and put on her gloves, waiting to Apparate to Malfoy Mansion.

~~~~~


Draco stood by the window, watching the daylight gently fade into dusk, musing sulkily that the draining light was akin to the slow ebbing of his youth. He took the ring out of his pocket and looked at it, watching the stone catch the remaining light and flicker with a power of its own. He’d known this day was approaching, and yet he couldn’t shake the general feeling of doom that had been descending ever since his mother had given the ring to him, admonishing that it was time to move forward. He put the stone into his pocket, momentarily imagining the sharp edges of it digging a hole deep into his heart.

He lingered for a moment, holding off the inevitable as long as possible. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to marry Pansy, exactly. He appreciated her and enjoyed her company. They were well-suited and he could see a happy future with her. But, sometimes he’d catch his parents talking, or holding hands, or simply being with each other, and he could sense a depth of emotion he and Pansy didn’t share. Although he longed to leave his past behind, it was this simple truth that kept him from “moving forward,” as his mother had said. He held this final thought utmost in his mind and headed to join his parents in the ballroom to await the guests’ arrival.

~~~~~


Astoria entered the glittering ballroom accompanied by her family. The colour scheme Mrs. Malfoy has selected for this year’s ball was glistening silver and the lightest shade of blue, practically white. She had transformed the ballroom into an overgrown snow globe, with small silver flakes flowing down, disappearing, and cascading down again.

“The Greengrass Family,” squeaked the head house elf, as the Malfoys came forward and greeted them warmly.

“It’s lovely to see all of you again,” Mr. Malfoy said. “Why, this enchanting creature, it can’t be little Astoria, can it? Draco, isn’t it amazing to see how she’s grown?”

“Yes, father, she certainly has,” Draco agreed, feeling his mood momentarily lifted.

Astoria beamed brightly at Mr. Malfoy, and then turned her attention to Draco. She was sure she saw a spark of interest in his eyes, and was about to put her hand into his proffered one when a familiar voice rang out behind her.

“Draco,” Pansy called, pushing the house elf out of her way. She took Draco’s already outstretched hand, curtsied politely to Draco’s parents, and then led him away.

Astoria watched, open-mouthed, as the couple disappeared into the crowd. She noticed Mr. Malfoy glance at her with a knowing look on his face. Astoria carefully switched her full attention to him.

“Thank you, sir.” She smiled, surprised at how easily she was able to hide her true emotions.

The Greengrasses also politely took leave of their hosts and joined the others.

“My, she’s certainly blossomed over these past few years,” Narcissa remarked, taking her husband’s arm and leading him into the crowd.

~~~~~


Draco dutifully allowed Pansy to lead him from group to group. He held her hand lightly and laughed in the proper places. He said the right things and kissed many matronly cheeks. They danced and laughed, enjoying the beauty of the decorations and the company of many who were close to them. He could see the sense of his being with Pansy. They were a perfect fit, and yet he found himself gazing about the room for another glimpse of Astoria.

Astoria, meantime, coolly bided her time. She spoke with many of her old classmates, most marveling at her stunning transformation. Astoria had always been tall for her age and gangly - some might’ve said clumsy - but she seemed to have finally grown into her height. She managed to see Draco, occasionally checking out the crowd and smiled sweetly at him each time. She danced a few dances with various boys before she finally found her opportunity.

She saw Draco and Pansy dancing on the side of the dance floor and carefully guided her partner in their direction. When she neared them, she stopped dancing and tapped Draco lightly on the shoulder.

“Come to congratulate the happy couple?” Pansy hissed.

Astoria stared blankly at her, before saying to Draco, “Don’t you think you are a bit remiss in your hostly duties, Draco?” She boldly ignored the sharp intake of breath from Pansy.

“Oh, yes,” Draco drawled, smiling in return, “I mustn’t neglect my guests.”

Draco put his hand on Astoria’s waist and carefully guided her into the middle of the dance floor. He was amazed at how nice it felt when she lightly laid her head on his shoulder. They said nothing, merely glided around the floor, occasionally laughing when odd bits of the glittery snowflakes tickled their noses, but basically just floated slowly about.

“So, Astoria,” Draco whispered softly. “Comfortable?”

Astoria opened her eyes, shocked at herself. She hadn’t even realized that she had settled herself so completely into his arms. Draco laughed at her and saw in her eyes the same feelings he’d been missing. Draco and Astoria gently leaned their heads together and kissed.

“Excuse me!” Pansy said loudly, as half of the room turned to stare. “Draco Malfoy, what are you playing at?”

Draco and Astoria stopped kissing and looked at each other in horror. Neither one of them had realized what they were doing. They stopped dancing. Astoria attempted to remove her hand from his, but found it locked in a veritable vise.

“Pansy,” he said, releasing most of the pressure, but still lightly squeezing Astoria’s hand for support. “We need to talk.”

~~~~~


Lucius took Narcissa’s hand and returned the ring to her finger.

“Lucius, are you daft?” Narcissa cried. “All of these people are waiting for an announcement.”

“Narcissa,” Lucius said, bemusedly. “Doesn’t this whole scenario remind you of anyone? True, we were a bit, well, smoother in that I had the foresight to maneuver you onto the balcony, but I think we’ll see the same happy outcome.”

“Millicent Hooper,” Narcissa whispered. “You two were to be engaged during the Autumnal Fete! I’d actually forgotten.”

Lucius led his wife, his one true love, out onto the dance floor and they slowly kissed amidst the falling glitter.
End Notes:
Thanks to Melissa for her incredible (and quick) beta skills!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81955