Imperius by Aytrianette
Summary: The story continues after an alternate ending to Deathly Hallows. Harry and Ginny weather the war as husband and wife with friends and family by their sides, but not without bonds being tested and tried...
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 4003 Read: 3959 Published: 04/01/09 Updated: 04/27/09
Story Notes:
Roxy has given the OK to auto-validate this story because it mysteriously disappeared from the site. Thanks to all mods who help me get my story back up!

1. Homefront by Aytrianette

2. Reunion by Aytrianette

Homefront by Aytrianette
This is agony, she thought, pure agony. She leaned back in her chair and closed her bloodshot eyes. The most beautiful brown eyes, he used to say. That would be her cue to grin. What, so there are blue eyes out there prettier than mine? she would tease. He would laugh. Well, she would continue, there are certainly green eyes out there more beautiful than mine.

No, Ginny Potter thought, shaking her head, not ‘used to’. Does. He does say. The distraught woman sat in worried silence. She opened her eyes and glanced at her brother and sister-in-law, seeing her sickness reflected in their gaunt faces; a sickness borne of anxiety and lack of sleep. Hermione sat, leaning into Ron, the two on the Potters' couch as he stroked her hair absently, staring blankly into the distance. It had been three days since Harry had gone missing, and none of the three could do anything about it.

Ginny hated the fact that she had to stay there, holed up in the gloomy manor at Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place; an environment that only darkened the moods of the companions. However, with Harry gone missing, the Death Eaters had a full run of the wizarding world”Even more so than in my last school years, thought Ginny bitterly. I never would have thought it was possible”and there was no way any of them could safely venture out into the chaos.

The Order was far too preoccupied with finding Harry to do anything about other things that were happening with the Death Eaters. Someone sent a Patronus their way every week or so, just to “reassure” them that all was going as planned.

If that was so, then why hadn’t they found Harry yet? And if they hadn’t, why couldn’t she help?

As if reading Ginny’s thoughts, Hermione looked at her. “Ginny, you know why you can’t help, don’t you?” she asked.

Ginny sighed. She did know. There were too many reasons. She couldn’t venture out in hopes of finding the Order; it would be damn near impossible. And they couldn’t come here; the place was being watched day and night”another reason that she couldn’t go out to do anything.

Ginny thought back to a night in her sixth year of schooling. Everything could have ended then....

“Give me Harry Potter, and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter, and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter, and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight.”*

Voldemort’s cold voice rang in ears, and Ginny stood petrified. She knew Harry would do it; he would never risk everyone else’s lives on his account. Her head spun as she stood rooted to the spot, terrified that she was going to lose the one person in the world who was dearest to her.

“Come on, Ginny,” whispered a voice at the back of her head. “He doesn’t love you because you’re a worrywart. You’re a woman of action! Come on, pull yourself together and go save him!”

“Yeah,” Ginny thought. “Yeah!” she said aloud, looking around, but no one had heard her. They had spotted Harry.

“But he’s there! Potter’s
there! Someone grab him!”* Ginny whirled around, blazing mad, and the only thing that stopped her from grabbing Pansy Parkinson’s throat and strangling her was the fact that Harry was leaving the room.

She wriggled her way through the crowd, trying to reach Professor McGonagall, with whom she had seen Harry last.

“Professor!” she gasped. “Did you see”which way”Harry”went?”

Professor McGonagall looked at her sharply. “Miss Weasley, I suggest you leave immediately! Where were you when your house was evacuated?!”

Ginny swelled with indignation. “My brother is fighting with his best mate,” she hissed, “who also happens to be the man I love. If you think you’re going to keep me from fighting alongside them, you have another think coming!”

The professor looked her up and down appraisingly and sighed. “If you’re anything like your other siblings, I have no chance of stopping you.” Ginny, in spite of herself, was surprised.

“So where is he?” she asked quickly, getting over her disbelief.

“I haven’t a clue where Potter went. All I know is that he’s looking for something in the castle.” Professor McGonagall looked sternly down her nose at Ginny. “Ginerva Molly Weasley, I expect you to be extremely careful and not to do anything foolish.” But Ginny was already taking off at a run in the direction Professor McGonagall had pointed in. “Like get yourself killed!” she yelled after the retreating form.


Ginny had found Harry. He was in the Room of Requirement when she did. He had told her to stay there. She said like hell she would; she was making sure he didn’t do anything stupid, like give himself up.

“It wouldn’t be stupid, Ginny,” he told her. “It would be the right thing to do.”

She laughed mirthlessly, then looked up at him with tears in her eyes. “It would be the right thing?” she whispered. “To tear apart the lives of the ones you love so thoroughly that they’ll wish they would’ve been killed, too?
Instead?” He looked down at her and he seemed hesitant.

“Gin”” he started.

“Harry, there’s still time,” she said, laying a hand on his arm. “Work on evacuating everyone. Make so that everyone can live.”

Harry looked into her eyes. She looked back with all of her heart going into it, pleading him to spare himself. “OK, Ginny,” he said quietly. “Let’s get everyone out of here.”


They barely did it. Hogwarts was destroyed that night, but no one was there when it happened, and less than half of their number was destroyed (the escape attempts had been dangerous). Some critical people were lost, but Harry survived. Her Harry.

He told her about the Horcruxes after that. How he and Dumbledore had destroyed the diary, the locket, the cup and the ring, but how there were still three others out there”he suspected. There could be less, there could be more.

“I’m hoping for less,” he said with a laugh. “But no matter what, I’ll keep hunting.”

“I know you will,” Ginny had replied firmly. “and so will I.”

Harry glanced at her, startled. “Um...Ginny, honey...is that
really such a good idea?” he asked nervously.

She looked at him. “Why not?” she asked. Her face hardened. “It’s because I’m girl, isn’t it?”

Harry looked completely taken aback. “Ginny!” he cried. “You can’t seriously think that’s what this is about?!” He cupped her face in his hands. “Ginny. If this was about gender, would I have let Hermione help me before?”

Ginny crumpled. “I know,” she said. “It’s just, that’s what it’s been about my whole life, and I was upset....”

“It’s OK,” said Harry, hugging her. “But Ginny, you’re my most precious possession. I””

“Oh, so I’m a possession now, huh?” She grinned.

“Yup.” Harry grinned back. “Mine and mine only.” Then his face softened. “But really, Ginny, I would never be strong enough to lose you. And”and even if you’re not helping me”I can’t be with you.”

“Oh, no, not this again.” Ginny rocked back on her heels. “Harry, I can take care of myself! Please, if I can’t help you live...at least let me help you live a full life?” She looked up at him longingly. “I love you, Harry. I don’t want to lose you again and again.”
Harry looked right back at her. “I love you, too, Ginny.” He drew her in and held her tight. She clung back. “I love you, too.”


He hadn’t left her. But now, her mind whirled, it seemed he had. Forever. And there was nothing she could do to know...to help, if she could. In Ron’s words: “Show your face once and commit suicide. They’re one and the same.”

Not that Ginny didn't want to go searching for her husband. She would have risked life and limb for Harry, but her older brother”far too overprotective, in her opinion (she was twenty-one now, after all!)”would not let her come within any close quarters of the door. To ensure that she wouldn't sneak out, the git had asked Hermione to cast enchantments around the exits.

Her first attempt at escaping had failed miserably.

“What did you do that for?!” Ginny had hissed, her eyes blazing with fury.

“I'm sorry, Ginny,” Hermione pleaded, “but please, I really do think Ron's right, you mustn't go out there! You'll die before you can reach Harry, there's no question about it!”

Ginny glared at her. “Well, at least I can say I tried,” she replied defiantly. She turned her back to her friend and crossed her arms over her chest, tears burning her eyes.

Hermione rested a hand on Ginny's shoulder. “Harry would never want that,” she said gently. “He'll be back, Ginny, I promise.”

“That promise isn't yours to make,” Ginny replied as her voice cracked. She fled up the stairs to her bedroom, throwing herself upon the bed and sobbing hysterically.

Now, after being retrieved by Hermione, whom had long been forgiven, Ginny sat in a large armchair in her living room. Not just her living room, but Harry's.

Harry.... Her thoughts turned to the day he left.

“Be careful, Harry,” Ginny said worriedly.

“Ginny, it’s just a lead. We’re checking it out, and I promise I'll be back soon,” Harry replied, pushing back a strand of Ginny's brilliant red hair. “No later than dinnertime.”

Feeling a little better, Ginny smiled up at him. “You better be back,” she teased. “I'll assume the worst if you don't and start hunting for another husband.”

Harry laughed and kissed the top of her head. “I'll see you for dinner. Can you make something good?”

Ginny grinned. “I always do.”

Harry shook is head. “Ever modest,” he said with a smile. He pulled on his robe and walked out the door, blowing her a kiss as it closed.


Ginny's eyes filled up with tears at this memory. She burst out sobbing, and Hermione's head jerked up, startled at the sound.

“Oh, Ginny!” she cried, running over to comfort her friend. “He'll be back soon, he will, really!”

Ginny looked up, a startled expression on her face, as if she was surprised to find that she was crying. She swallowed hard and quickly wiped the tears from her face, ashamed at this display of weakness.

“I”I can't believe I s-said that t-to him!” she said, her voice still shaking from her outburst. “I n-never meant anything b-by it! Nothing!”

Hermione looked a bit bewildered. “Never meant anything by…what?” she asked gently.

Ginny took a deep breath and looked up. “I”before he left, I-I t-told him that…that if he d-didn't get b-back by d-d-dinner, then...then....” She burst out into a fresh round of tears. “I told him I'd start looking for another husband!” she sobbed.

Hermione looked thunderstruck. “Oh, my poor, poor Ginny,” she said, rocking her back and forth. “Ginny, it's something anyone would say. You were joking with him; he knows you would never do that to him. Never.”

“B-but what if he d-dies and, and that's the l-last thing he remembers m-me saying to h-him?” Ginny sat up, again drying her wet face and hiding her abashment.

“Oh, Ginny,” murmured Hermione. She glanced over at Ron, who was looking worse than ever. If his eyes had bags under them before, they were now positively sunken into his face; his dry lips pulled into a tight line. He looked years older than twenty-two.

“I'll go get some butterbeer,” he said hoarsely, standing stiffly to go to the kitchen. But Hermione shook her head ever so slightly. “Summoning Charm,” she mouthed. She didn't want Ron to leave”for both his sake and hers.

Ron collapsed back onto the couch. “Accio Butterbeer,” he muttered and three bottles came zooming into the drawing room, setting themselves down on the dusty table.

“Ginny, here,” said Hermione, reaching for one of the warm bottles, “you really have to drink something.” Ginny just sat listlessly as she allowed Hermione to hand her a bottle and coax her to drink it. Slight tremors rocked her body every so often as she held back tears.

There was a rustling sound near the window and everyone's heads snapped up. Ron drew his wand and the girls' heads turned curiously towards the clear pane of glass through which a tawny owl was now visible. As Ron was already on his feet, he hurried towards the owl and threw open the window. The owl fluttered in. Ron was startled as Ginny, seemingly out of nowhere, came up and snatched the yellowing scroll of parchment attached to its leg. Fingers scrabbling over the paper to unroll it, she hardly noticed as Hermione joined Ron behind her to read the letter over her shoulder. Her hands shook as the scroll unfurled to reveal a short letter, clearly written with haste. The scrawl was messy and the parchment ripped in places, the ink blotted.

Dearest Ginny, dear Ron and Hermione,
I’ve escaped from my Death Eater captors. I plan to be home within a day. DO NOT SHOW ANYONE THIS LETTER. I’ll tell you everything when I arrive.
Love,
Harry


Ginny turned to Ron and Hermione with wide eyes full of hope.


*page 610, American hardcover edition, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Reunion by Aytrianette
Author's Notes:
Ahem. I don't seem to remember my chapter names...so, clearly, new ones are in order! >< Sorry about that. Again...thanks for bearing with me!
Ginny wiped her hands on her apron and proudly surveyed her handiwork. She wasn’t one for cooking, but she had to do it sometimes when Harry went out on some quest or another without her. This time it was steak-and-kidney pies”Harry’s favorite.

Ginny’s thoughts about Harry made her head spin and she had to grip the back of a chair for support. He’s coming back! she thought excitedly. She was so elated; she didn’t know how she held it all in her body. She truly thought she might explode. It was all in her heart.

A hand grasped Ginny’s shoulder gently and the woman twisted around, thinking it might have been Harry. She turned to find Hermione smiling at her. “Hey, Ginny,” she said softly.

Ginny hugged Hermione, biting back the disappointment that she knew shouldn’t be there. “I’m just so relieved he’s coming home; that he’s alright.”

“I know,” replied Hermione, squeezing back. “Oh, and I lifted the enchantments around the doors”so Harry can get in.” She cast a wary look at her friend, who had a mischievous grin plastered across her face. Hermione laughed. “Now, I know you won’t do that,” she said, then looked nervously at Ginny. “…Right?”

It was Ginny’s turn to laugh. “Of course not,” she said happily. “If I did that, then”” There was a sharp, sudden rap at the door, and Ginny interrupted herself by screaming in delight.

As Ginny raced for the door, time seemed to be in slow motion and she felt detached from her body, as if she were someone else watching this reunion. She saw the happy, beaming face of Hermione hurrying after her, and her brother bounding down the stairs two at a time with the same look of relief, happiness, and suppressed fatigue.

Ginny saw her hand turn the door knob, slowly, slowly…and then, the door suddenly swung wide open, and there was Harry.

Ginny felt faint again, but she was far too stubborn to let stupid little things like that get in the way of her reunion with her husband. She looked up into Harry’s eyes, prepared to kiss him, and”

“H-Harry?” she stammered, reeling back. A look of fear crossed her face.

Harry’s eyes were blank, and he just stood staring at Ginny…but no, not at her. Through her, as if she weren’t even there. She felt hot tears prick in her eyes, not understanding.

What have they done to you? she thought, taking a tentative step forward and reaching out to Harry. As she did, she heard a curse muttered from her brother. There was a flurry of movement behind her, and Harry raised his wand quickly, his mouth forming words that didn’t quite come out, and then she heard the words, “Petrificus Totalus!””but they were from Ron.

She realized what was happening and pulled her hand back, crying, “Ron, NO!”

Ginny rushed over to Harry’s still form, collapsed on the floor. She wrapped her arms around him as Ron came up behind her, placing his hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him, her face contorted in fury, ready to curse and scream at him, make him pay. But then she saw the look on his face. Pain stretched across his features; he looked like he had just lost all of his limbs. The angry words died in her throat.

“Ron,” she began, but he turned away.

“Ginny,” said Hermione gently, coming up to her. “Harry”” she began, but the words caught. She took a deep breath. “He’s under the Imperius Curse,” she finished weakly.

Ginny was thunderstruck, but even as she turned to take a second look at her husband, she knew the words were true. How could I have failed to notice? she thought, disappointed. It’s so obvious!

“Ginny,” said Hermione sharply, as if reading her thoughts, “don’t even think about blaming yourself.” She glared at Ginny, knowing that her friend just needed the encouragement, and then she could come up with the reasons for herself.

Ginny sighed and then nodded, the fatigue from all the past days and more coming back to show in her pale face. “Come on,” she said. “Let’s move him to our room.”

As carefully as they could, Ginny and Hermione took Harry under his arms while Ron grabbed his legs. They could have Levitated him, but it seemed an insensitive and impersonal thing to do. However, with three of them, he was easy to carry, so they started slowly up the stairs.

When they reached the bedroom they set Harry gently on the bed. “I’m so sorry, Harry,” whispered Ginny miserably, looking down at him.

Ron was sitting in a chair next to the bed, frowning. “Even in our fourth year at school, Harry was so good at resisting that curse. How were they able to succeed?” he wondered aloud.

“Well,” said Hermione in a façade of her usual practical tone of voice, which was punctured by grief and worry, “I suppose they could have drugged him”that is, given him a potion.” She shook her head. “Of course, I’ve no idea what it was or what sort of dose they gave him, so there’s no way I can help him. Although.” She paused, thinking. Then her eyes lit up and she snapped her fingers. “That’s it!”

“What?” asked Ginny eagerly.

“Well”” Hermione faltered. She was gazing at the look of combined raw, vulnerable hope and strong, hard determination on Ginny’s taut face. “It’s not guaranteed to work,” she continued slowly. “But, I have some Veritaserum in my supply. Ginny, if you take his wand, lift the spell, and bind him, we might”might”be able to find out what potion he was given.”

Although it scared her, Ginny nodded. “Alright,” she agreed softly. As Hermione left the room, Ginny leaned over and plucked Harry’s wand from his grip and handed it to Ron.

Ron nodded curtly to show that he was ready and raised his wand. Taking a deep breath, Ginny muttered the countercurse, “Eximo statua,” and a split second later she heard Ron utter the words that would bind Harry in ropes so that he would be unable to escape.

Ginny felt a pang in her stomach as she saw her husband in this condition. As it dawned on her that she was the cause of it, she had to run to the sink and empty her stomach. Shaking, she righted herself and walked back into the room, where she saw Hermione waiting nervously with a vial of clear liquid in her hand.

Ginny looked over at the bed, where Harry was thrashing about under the ropes. She pushed back the tears in her eyes; she had already lost her compsure once, there was no way it could, or would, happen again. “Hermione?” she said, walking over to the bedside. Hermione jumped. “I”I’m ready.”

“OK,” said Hermione slowly. “Do…you want to do it? Or should”?”

“No,” said Ginny firmly, cutting off her friend. “I’ll do it.” Hermione nodded and silently handed over the bottle.

Ginny walked over, her legs still shaky, and stood over Harry. She forced herself to look into his eyes, and as she did, she thought she saw something flicker in them. “Come on, Harry,” she whispered so softly that only he could hear it. “You can pull through. For me.” But then the flicker was gone.

Ginny swallowed and carefully uncorked the vial. She held it over his mouth and managed to squeeze a few drops in through Harry’s slightly separated lips.

Then something peaceful seemed to sweep over Harry. He relaxed, his features calming and his rigidity fading. Ginny glanced nervously over her shoulder at Hermione, who nodded encouragingly.

Ginny turned back to Harry. She leaned closer to him. “Harry, we need to know how to cure you,” she said. When he gave no reaction, she continued: “Do you know what poison they gave you?”

“Yes.” Ginny cringed”the voice that had escaped from Harry was alien; it was not her husband’s, however similar it may have sounded. Out of her peripheral vision, Ron and Hermione looked disconcerted as well.

“What was it?” she continued, eager in spite of her pain. “What poison did they give you?”

“They…didn’t give me a poison.” Ginny saw startled looks exchanged between her brother and his wife. They were so certain? thought Ginny, frowning inwardly. But she turned her attention back to Harry.

“How were you overcome?” asked Ginny. Even though she had her doubts about Ron and Hermione’s surety, she herself still didn’t understand how Harry could have fallen under the Imperius Curse.

Something in Harry struggled. “They”,” he began, then choked off. The cloudiness in his eyes seemed as if it were melting. “I can’t say it, Ginny!” he cried, and this time his voice was entirely his own. Ginny felt elation…but the emotion was punctured as he looked into her eyes. “Please don’t make me say it,” he said, his voice strangled and pleading.

The ropes were falling away from his frame, and Ginny vaguely acknowledged that Ron or Hermione must have severed them. She was also distantly aware of their departure from the room. “I won’t, Harry,” she whispered, and leaned over to embrace him.

Harry’s strong arms wrapped securely around her, and she could tell he was shaking. He buried his face in her hair and squeezed her tighter. “I missed you so much, Ginny,” he whispered. “The things they said…that they threatened to do. I worried so much about you, Ginny.” He pulled back and held her away from him, drinking in her features. “Everything they said about you was so much worse than anything they could have done to me.”

Ginny didn’t know what to say. She knew that she would never make him tell her anything that had happened, however curious she was. She just kissed him, and the kiss went on into the night.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=82870