The Raven Within by TheCursedQuill
Summary:
Helena Ravenclaw has a secret.

Besides that, her mother does not understand her and she is to be wed to a man she doesn’t like. In a desperate act to get away, Helena flees to Albania with her mother’s most prized possession. We all know the ending, but what about the beginning? Journey through Helena’s last few days with her mother, and her life.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Self Injury, Suicide, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1290 Read: 1634 Published: 08/09/09 Updated: 08/16/09
Story Notes:
This is my first ever fic here, so I hope you enjoy it. It is my interpretation of what happened before Helena Ravenclaw's tragic death. I want to give A HUGE thank you to my beta Era, for making this story possible! And...I do not own any of the characters, or their fate, settings, and ect. becuase JK Rowling has so beatifully already created those. Fin.

1. Prologue by TheCursedQuill

Prologue by TheCursedQuill
Hearing a loud crack coming from behind her, Helena whipped her head around and squeezed her mother’s diadem in her sweaty palms. Her heart rate quickened as she stared into the dark, empty forest. Just an animal.

She continued walking in between the thick trees, not quite sure what she was going to do. Perhaps build a nice cabin in the forest. Live alone and gain all of the knowledge in the world. Yes, that seemed like the right thing to do. The silence of the woods would allow her to focus on her studies, and without the disruption of others she would be able to become more than her mother ever was.

Her foot got caught on an exposed tree root and she stumbled a few feet in front of her before regaining her balance on the trunk of a nearby tree. She glanced wildly behind her, scared by all of the noise she was making. Her breath came short as she looked down at the diadem clasped in her hand. She rubbed the tiny inscription, feeling the letters fall into the strong material. ‘Wit Beyond’ was all she could read at the angle she held it in her hands; she held it tighter and closed her eyes, willing tears to swell up inside.

Immediately upon opening her eyes, her sight fell on a tiny owl sitting on a low branch. The owl stared at her and she looked back. They stayed like that for what seemed like an eternity. A small rustle of leaves issued behind her and the owl turned his head and flew away. She watched as it gracefully soared through the trees and disappeared in the red glare of the sun before looking behind herself. Stop being paranoid; no one will find you.

But it was a lie and she knew it. She had been followed “ tracked down from the moment she left. All she could do was to keep going forward…

“Helena.”

That voice. She knew it would be him. It was always going to be him. She slumped against a tree and looked all around her, hoping that she would not be found.

“Dear, Helena.” The voice was soft and innocent, hoping that she would reply.

She slowly turned around from behind the safety of the tree and came face to face with him. He looked at her and reached his hand forward as he slowly closed the distance between them. She remained still, her hands shaking slightly at her sides.

“Where is it?” he asked.

“Where is what?” she whispered back. He chuckled and looked her straight into the eyes. She tried to look back, to show no fear, but those cold eyes bore into her soul, chilling her lungs and making her unable to breath. She looked away.

“She knows it was you, Helena. And so do I. She does not care though. She only wants you back. As do I,” he said, taking her hand. Helena looked down at them and saw her small, fragile hand within those of a man’s. It was large and smooth and pearly white. If it had belonged to anyone else she probably would have embraced it, but knowing who this hand belonged to her hand slipped gently out of its hold.

“How did you find me, My Lord?” she asked in a small voice, still unable to look him in the eye.

“My dear Helena, you did not cover up your path as well as you thought. I shall always be able to find my love.” He leaned in slowly and kissed her on the cheek. She kept still the entire time.

“My Lord, I must insist that you keep away from me. We must remain abstinent before… before the wedding.” He chuckled again.

“How will there be a wedding, if you are not at the castle?” he asked, taking in her whole body with only one arm. She frantically looked him in the eye and saw a slight glint of something. It was gone the moment she looked.

She struggled to get free, but he held on tight.

“Come home, Helena. Come home and we can do this properly. I have been away from you too long, my love. Please come home,” he whispered to her twisting face. He let go of her after a few seconds and took a step back. Her breathing was heavy and she made to smooth her hair in an effort to calm herself down.

“Why have you done this? Why run away? Come home. Your mother is very sick, you know. It would make her happy to see you one last time. I am afraid to say that the chances of her making it through are wiry. Come home. For me, if not for her.”

Helena stood there, tears streaming down her soft, creamy face. She had already made her decision long ago and she shook her head.

“Come home, Helena. There is no reason for this,” he said, his voice becoming stronger.

“I will not,” she managed to say.

“Why? You shall be happy, Helena! You will be happy with me! We are to be wed, and I demand that you come home with me, right now!” His voice echoed through the forest.

“I will never go back! And my name shall never be tainted with a title such as a baroness,” she said defiantly. Her body was shaking, but she forced herself to look strong. His face contorted only for a moment before he regained composure.

“It is your mother’s dying wish to see you,” he whispered. More tears flowed out of Helena’s eyes, but not because of her mother’s will; it was because of his calmness.

“I will not go back,” she sobbed.

“I demand that you come home! This is no place for my wife! And you will be my Lady, whether you like it or not!” he shouted at her. Helena looked him in the eye, saw the rage that glowed from his soul, and ran. She ran as fast as she could, but knew it was helpless.

He grabbed her by the arm and wheeled her around to face him. She hung her head and openly sobbed. He shook her entire body and yelled, “You will come with me right now!” She screamed and shook her head, thrashing her arms as she tried to get away.

A pain so indescribably strong struck her in the side. She screamed even louder and felt her arm go limp under his grasp. He let go of her and let her fall to the ground. Her hand tried to ease the pain, but all she could feel was warm liquid. She looked down at herself, knowing what she would see, but was still shocked as she watched her dark red blood spill from her body. She cried out and looked up at the baron with pleading eyes.

“You will have your way, Helena! You will never come back!” he screamed, falling to his knees. She blocked her face with her arms, not wanting to see.

Her body thrashed and rolled as he continually drew his arm into the air and then let it fall onto her body. Her shrieks were deafening, even when her face was in the ground. He kept the repetition going until he noticed the whimpering stop.

He sat on his knees, staring down at the mutilated body. His chest rose and fell with every quick breath he drew in. He stared at the red knife and then at the girl. His love. His Lady-to-be. He stared at the knife once more and took hold of it with both of hands as tears rolled from his eyes.

End Notes:
Well, that's it for the prologue! I hope you liked it, and come back for the next chapters. I'm looking at having around three of them. =)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84187