The Dark Phoenix by L A Moody
Summary:
Even in a time of peace, evil never sleeps…

In the post Deathly Hallows world Harry Potter is a broken man, rejecting the public’s view of him as a hero and seeing himself as a destroyer of lives. Although married to Ginny and embraced by the boisterous Weasley clan, he holds himself apart from true happiness. The only solace he finds is among the other shell-shocked victims of the war: George Weasley and Andromeda Tonks. But young Teddy Lupin is determined to unearth the joy his godfather once had for life and in so doing adds to the alternate dimension where the cost of Voldemort’s defeat was not so high.

In the alternate reality, it has been seven years since Voldemort’s defeat. Reclaiming his own destiny, Harry has built a new life for himself from the ruins of the Potter estate. Although he did not hesitate to claim Ginny as his own, it has been an unusually long engagement period as neither of them has been a hurry to take that next irrevocable step. For Harry, these extra years have allowed him to recapture some of the carefree days of youth as he established his career in the Auror Department. Determined not to follow in her mother’s footsteps, Ginny has been making the most of the intervening years to cement her career with the WWN. The Lupin clan has been steadily expanding with the eldest, Teddy, immediately establishing himself as a Metamorphmagus, sporting bright turquoise hair at birth. In contrast, his younger sister inherited the delicate beauty of the Black family. As her parents await the signs that will identify her as a witch, one has to wonder whether she has any unique powers of her own.

Although this story starts on a dark and disturbing note, it is ultimately a tale of hope, healing and survival. It serves as an epilogue to both, Cruel Moon for the Misbegotten and Harry Potter and the Hero’s Lament; and consequently, contains all manner of spoilers for the canon series as well as the alternate universe my prior tales have established. Reading those two previous stories is recommended. Contains original characters who were established in prior narratives.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Epilogue? What Epilogue?, Mental Disorders
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: Yes Word count: 261038 Read: 144262 Published: 09/08/09 Updated: 08/29/10

1. One: Prologue by L A Moody

2. Two: A Face From the Past by L A Moody

3. Three: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner by L A Moody

4. Four: Rude Awakening by L A Moody

5. Five: The War Museum by L A Moody

6. Six: A Call to Arms by L A Moody

7. Seven: Insomnia by L A Moody

8. Eight: A Respite in the Weather by L A Moody

9. Nine: The Jaws of the Trap by L A Moody

10. Ten: The Jackal and the Wolf by L A Moody

11. Eleven: The Snows of Winter by L A Moody

12. Twelve: Trials and Tribulations by L A Moody

13. Thirteen: Christmas at the Burrow by L A Moody

14. Fourteen: Making Merry by L A Moody

15. Fifteen: In With the New by L A Moody

16. Sixteen: A Trail of Breadcrumbs by L A Moody

17. Seventeen: In Voldemort's Shadow by L A Moody

18. Eighteen: Diplomacy by L A Moody

19. Nineteen: Quidditch Matters by L A Moody

20. Twenty: Aftershock by L A Moody

21. Twenty-One: Spectres of the Past by L A Moody

22. Twenty-Two: In the Belly of the Beast by L A Moody

23. Twenty-Three: An Experiment Gone Awry by L A Moody

24. Twenty-Four: The True Nature of North by L A Moody

25. Twenty-Five: The Devil's Coattails by L A Moody

26. Twenty-Six: A Crack in the Ice by L A Moody

27. Twenty-Seven: Gifts in All Shapes and Sizes by L A Moody

28. Twenty-Eight: A Fox, Three Hens, and a Toad by L A Moody

29. Twenty-Nine: Tea with the Dowager by L A Moody

30. Thirty: The Last Full Moon by L A Moody

31. Thirty-One: Frenzy by L A Moody

32. Thirty-Two: Let the Pieces Fall by L A Moody

33. Thirty-Three: Improvisation by L A Moody

34. Thirty-Four: Command Performance by L A Moody

35. Thirty-Five: Hatching Plots by L A Moody

36. Thirty-Six: A Transition of Government by L A Moody

37. Thirty-Seven: The Future and the Past by L A Moody

38. Epilogue: A Bend in the Road by L A Moody

One: Prologue by L A Moody
Author's Notes:
Told from Teddy Lupin’s viewpoint, the prologue serves as a bookend to establish the story in proper context.
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




One
Prologue




Teddy Lupin had always known his godfather, Harry, to be a troubled man, a man haunted by too many tragedies during the first eighteen years of his life. He’d steadfastly accepted it as part of Harry’s personality in that non-judgmental way all children possess.

Destiny had robbed Harry of his childhood, his grandmother had explained in simple terms a child could understand. But all Teddy knew was that Harry was often sad and lonely as if he didn’t have a friend in the world “ even amid the riotous activity of the Weasley clan. Desolate smiles were often the norm, not deep belly laughs like Teddy often heard from Uncle Ron when his own mischievous offspring had gotten the best of him yet again.

It was more than the fact that his godfather, too, had lost his parents at a very young age. Both he and Teddy were too young to remember that, yet it had given them something in common from the start. As Harry had later explained, it was not the same to miss someone you’d never known as the chasm that opened in your heart when loved ones who had shared your life died before their time.

It was what had led Harry to write long into the night, his grandmother had told him when Teddy was old enough to read the pages of the story for himself. “It was your godfather’s way of not letting the sorrow overwhelm him. An antidote to grief, if you will,” she whispered gently. “He created a world in which events played out differently. In so doing, he gave you a window into your parents’ personalities you might otherwise have never known.”

“But, grandmother,” Teddy had protested, “didn’t you know them as well?”

“Surely, your mother, yes. But she and Remus had only been married for a short time, less than a year really. And it was such a tumultuous time with the death of your grandfather and all, that I regret I never got to know Remus as well as I would have liked. For that I, too, am grateful to Harry for having fleshed him out, for having let me see into the playful part of my son-in-law’s personality that I never really got to know.”

Teddy had known not to press his grandmother further, that her eyes were already pooling with tears to have admitted so much of the heartache she herself had endured.

He never really understood why Harry was always so guarded when he went to stay with him and his wife, Ginny, until he’d overheard the argument with his grandmother late one evening. Grandmother was always so patient and understanding with him, yet Teddy was surprised to hear her voice rising from the floor below. He was so young he recalled hugging a teddy bear to his chest with one arm as he allowed the other hand to guide him down the banister without making a sound. He knew if he were discovered, they would either mask their words with magic, or more likely, turn away with nothing resolved as they trundled him off to bed.

“Don’t you think he sees it?” his grandmother, Andromeda, seethed.

“He’s only a child…” Harry protested weakly.

“How can you be so blind, Harry? Teddy is extremely intuitive -- just like his father in that respect.”

“Don’t, Andromeda,” Harry groaned, his voice thick with emotion. “Don’t you think I see Remus and Tonks in him every time I look, so much so that it hurts unbearably at times?…Oh, Merlin, Remus must’ve felt much the same way…”

Teddy chewed on his bear’s ear in an effort to soothe himself as he heard sobbing from the next room. After a few minutes of this, Andromeda offered softly, “Do you want to talk about it? Will that help?”

“I never really understood before,” Harry admitted wetly. “I was in my third year at Hogwarts; Remus had finally landed a job after who-knows-how-long teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. He was a fabulous teacher, made learning fun for everyone, even those who often fell behind the others. But I didn’t see how much he was trying to put the past behind him by handing the torch to the next generation. No, all I could see in my selfish, myopic way--”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself,” Andromeda interjected kindly. “You were only thirteen.”

“”all I was concerned with was that I couldn’t go to Hogsmeade village with my friends since I didn’t have a permission slip. Remus kept me company that morning, sought me out on the covered bridge where I was wallowing in self-pity by throwing pebbles at the rocks below. I suppose that was the start of our friendship, right there.”

“What did he say to you?”

“Tried to have me see the big picture by telling me that he had once known my parents and that I was so very much like them. Told me how my mum had once restored his faith in himself when he thought he had reached rock bottom. It was a conversation that made his voice quaver with sadness, yet he kept on. It wasn’t until now that I realize how much seeing me must have dredged up all those feelings of loss. Stars, he was so much a better person than me, reaching out to comfort another when his own heart was breaking. Why is he gone and I’m still here?” More sobbing, followed by the sound of shuffling chairs.

“Come sit,” Andromeda suggested tremulously. “A few sips of whiskey will help your jagged nerves… Please don’t think I’m criticizing you, but Teddy thinks you’re sad about something he’s done.”

“As if he could ever disappoint me.”

“He needs to know that, Harry; find a way to convey that. But for the sake of your unborn child, too, you have to move on.”

“Is that what you’ve done with Ted? Moved on?” Harry shot back. “Teddy tells me he knows next to nothing about the grandfather whose name he bears.”

“That’s not fair, Harry. I don’t want him to be distressed at my tears.”

“So you admit how hard it is to recover….” Harry whispered.

“I don’t blame myself, Harry, that’s the difference.”

“Why would you? Not when you have me to blame instead!”

“That’s not true.” Teddy was surprised to discern that his grandmother, too, was crying. She was always so controlled, rarely getting emotional even when it was just the two of them alone. “I blame Voldemort and his Death Eaters, just as I blame them for Ted’s murder. But these are horrors I’d like to spare a six year old.”

“They came to help me,” Harry moaned. “Came to try to catch my back because the fate of the wizarding world depended upon an inexperienced seventeen year old!”

“Don’t forget you were successful in the end,” Andromeda soothed.

“At what cost? They should have stayed by Teddy’s bedside…”

“I know you and Remus argued about that before. But Harry you must accept that it was their decision. Remus was too much of an idealist to let someone else finish the fight that had begun with the murder of your own parents. And as for Dora, well, she was always too impetuous for her own good.”

“Don’t you wish you had heard them that night and tried to stop them?” Harry pressed.

“Revisionist history only works in novels, as you well know,” Andromeda scoffed. “By the time I got the note from Dora to please sit with Teddy that night, she and Remus were long gone. I can’t spend the rest of my life bullying myself because I couldn’t foretell their actions -- and neither can you!”

“If only it were so simple…”

“Let Teddy be your link to the future; don’t dwell so much in the past,” Andromeda suggested in a compassionate tone.

“It haunts me in my sleep, Andromeda. I can’t escape it.”

“They call that survivor’s guilt, a well-documented reaction. Talk to a Healer. I’ll go with you if you feel it will put too much strain on Ginny with her first pregnancy and all.”

Teddy couldn’t say with any certainty what had come of that; somehow he’d never felt it was his place to ask. Besides, Gran would have likely punished him for eavesdropping when all he’d wanted to do was to get to know the two of them better.

He’d heard whispers that Harry was occasionally prone to dark inconsolable days, especially on those occasions when the rest of the wizarding world celebrated the anniversary of Voldemort’s downfall. Teddy suspected that if Ginny couldn’t cheer him up, Ron would soon Floo in to take up the slack. He’d seen the two of them laughing it up like they were back at school without a care in the world. Only it had never really been like that, had it? The threat of Voldemort had loomed over Harry from his first year at Hogwarts, urging him to short-change himself in order to save the world.

Is that what made Harry often excuse himself quietly from family gatherings at the Burrow and wind his way silently up the long staircase? Teddy had often longed to follow and cheer him up, but there was always someone to lay a restraining hand on his shoulder.

“He needs to be alone now,” Ginny would whisper as she’d hug Teddy to her tightly, often eliciting a string of protests from her own children who would clamor to sit in her lap.

More often than not, it was Uncle George who would follow in Harry’s wake, seeking him out in whatever corner of the rambling house he had cocooned himself. It had a certain logic, Teddy had sensed even at an early age. George had lost his twin brother, Fred, in the war and he, too, often found it difficult to participate in the happiness going on around him.

“What do they do up there for hours?” Teddy had once asked Ginny’s mother, Molly.

“They talk to the dead,” she’d replied enigmatically before bustling away to scrub the already spotless kitchen.

Seeking out the advice of Ginny’s father gave Teddy a different outlook. Screwing up his face thoughtfully, Arthur explained, “Only the ruthless find it easy to recover from the horrors of war. Patience, understanding, and above all, time is needed. Harry’s simply bonding with others who have experienced similar upheavals in their lives.”

Undaunted, Teddy had tried a different tack. “Uncle Ron, why do you sometimes join in with Harry and George and other times you don’t?”

Ron’s boyish grin had beamed down at him. “Because sometimes I feel like getting drunk and other times I don’t,” he replied candidly, even though his wife, Hermione, had lightly swatted his arm.

“What kind of an answer is that to give a child?” she hissed.

“An honest one.” Directing his attention to Teddy, Ron elaborated, “Look, scamp, Harry and George find solace in each other somehow. It’s how they deal with the grief neither of them can put aside.”

“But what do they do?” Teddy insisted, seeking an explanation for why Harry sometimes returned in a more melancholy frame of mind than before and why other times he was overly jolly, seeking to make light of even the smallest things.

Ron shook his head sadly. “Dunno.”

So with a few months to go before Harry’s thirty-fifth birthday, Teddy made up his mind to find a way to lure Harry towards a more rewarding life in the same manner his godfather had done for others. If he was successful, it would make a fine birthday present. If not, well, he could always find something in Diagon Alley.

Unlike his godfather who found inspiration in the desolate snows of winter, Teddy let the cottony clouds of the spring sky lead him into that other world where his parents had not died and left him an orphan before the age of one. He’d grown up hearing the fables his godfather had penned about the trials and tribulations of Remus and Tonks as Harry himself struggled to grow into manhood. There was so much truth in this alternate view of life that Teddy often found it difficult to believe events had not truly unfolded as such in the years before his own birth. Now as he sat beneath an expansive oak, he set his quill to the parchment pad balanced upon his knees and took up the tale of the Potter and Lupin clans which had become inextricably intertwined.
Two: A Face From the Past by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Two
A Face from the Past



“So it is you!” the voice exclaimed softly as if it were afraid to trust an apparition.

Remus looked up from the parchments layered on his desk that represented a frantic attempt to catch up on paperwork while his next appointment ran late. He had expected Madame Thierry to be an older woman, an elegant aristocrat who had pulled her only daughter from the Beauxbatons Academy after only one year and insisted upon a solid English education at Hogwarts. He had not expected to be confronted by the familiar olive eyes of Seraphina Salton.

“Sera!” Remus cried out warmly as he quickly extricated himself from his chair and caught her hand. “After all these years! I see you made another life for yourself…” With true regret, his eyes clouded over. “It will have to be a different time, though. I’m in the middle of meeting with all my new students’ parents and I’ve had a devil of a time finding an opening in Madame Thierry’s calendar.”

Merlin, she looked good! Remus admitted to himself, feeling just a hint of old guilt for having abandoned her when he’d made his harrowing escape from the werewolf compound. It had been unavoidable but that had not kept him from feeling like a selfish coward nonetheless.

Tucked into an ecru hat, Sera’s dark chin-length hair framed her delicate features and drew attention to her long, smoky lashes. The simple elegance of her attire reminded him of how his mother-in-law, Andromeda Tonks, must have looked during her youthful days in Paris.

Stealing a furtive glance at the hour, Remus couldn’t help himself from prodding, “What brings you to Hogwarts today?”

With a radiant smile, Sera lingered just inside the doorway of Remus’ office, allowing her gaze to sweep the surroundings. “I have an appointment.” Peering carefully at the card she withdrew from her coat pocket, she elaborated, “With a certain Professor Remus Lupin, head of the new Linguistics Department.” Without giving him a chance to respond, she was drawn to a small shadowbox frame on the adjoining wall. “Is that truly an Order of Merlin? First class even,” she added as she peered at the tiny lettering before her.

“Sera…I’m…” Remus stammered then settled for the unvarnished truth, “Speechless.” He collapsed into his chair, suddenly seeking the familiarity of the desk between them.

“So I see.”

“You’re Madame Thierry?”

“And my daughter, Serenity, speaks very highly of her charming French instructor “ even if she feels the lessons are not remotely to her liking.”

“Too basic, I regret,” Remus admitted. “She’s quite adept with the language already. Practically talked my ear off after class when she no longer felt like an oddity among the other students.”

“Three years of schooling in France prior to Beauxbatons. She never felt like she fit in with the French girls, either. Especially after she started at the Academy.”

“Do you mind me asking why?” Remus posed with a kindly smile.

“It’s too much like a bloody finishing school, that’s why! No emphasis on anything other than deportment and social skills. I wanted her to have a solid education, to be able to make her own way in the world “ not just as an ornament on someone’s arm! She couldn’t stand those flighty females any more than I could; all they did was titter among themselves about the boys.”

“That happens here as well, I’m afraid. It’s not unusual to run the gauntlet of snogging couples in the hallways in the evenings,” Remus allowed ruefully. “Hogwarts has seven years of male students to Beauxbatons’ three since the Academy became co-educational.”

“I’m not a prude, Professor. You know that. I just want my daughter to have an education. She enjoys being challenged academically; let her discover the opposite sex when she’s ready for it. Everyone has his own timetable.”

“I’m glad to hear you’re not against young love then,” Remus noted with a wry laugh. “But, please, you must call me Remus. I’ve never stopped thinking of you as a friend.”

“The man I knew “ or thought I knew “ is not before me, Professor,” Sera noted as she unbuttoned her coat impatiently. The simple navy dress beneath contrasted sharply with the creamy cashmere. “Rather shaky ground on which to base a friendship, don’t you think?”

“I’m sorry, Sera, it was a cruel deception “ regardless of the reasons,” Remus admitted sympathetically. “The back story may have been a lie, but my interactions with you were not. Do I seem that different to you?”

“Other than the moustache, no,” she conceded. “For the longest time I thought this Lupin fellow must be a cousin, a brother even “ someone who bore an uncanny resemblance… I couldn’t envision the man I’d known could have been capable of such daring deeds… I thought you were dead, damn it! Who did you work for that could perpetrate such a lie? I saw the body myself…”

“We were at war, Sera. The mightiest wizards in the land put their heads together to defeat an evil megalomaniac who threatened to swallow all of mankind, wizards and Muggles alike. If we had not been able to outsmart our enemies, we would have never prevailed.”

“In other words, you can’t tell me,” she remarked with a flash of indignation.

“I’m sorry. Suffice it to say that it was a ruse devised by a very savvy, very ingenious veteran.”

“And you didn’t bloody care what the enemy thought of the matter…” In a bare whisper, she inquired, “Did you stop to think that you had included me among the enemy?”

“Much of the subterfuge was completed without my knowledge. I was laid up for months recuperating from traveling cross-country in knee-deep snow.” Seeing that her expression was far from sympathetic, he added stoically, “After that, it was too much of a risk. I was too deeply involved with the final battle to do anything to undermine our chances. Forgive me if working for the greater good makes me seem callous.”

“It’s always the same with heroes…”

“I’m no hero, Sera. I’m an ordinary chap who simply felt that he had to do something. Those monsters stole my four best friends, picked them off with deadly accuracy until only I remained. I could have curled up into a ball and died inside or --”

“”or you could have fought,” she finished with sudden clarity. “What about after the war? Were the risks so great then?”

“Kingsley Shacklebolt is a close friend of mine, I entrusted him with the search since he could access restricted areas of the Ministry without raising anyone’s hackles. Those were touchy times; too many dark collaborators being unearthed throughout the various departments. The files, whole reams of them, had been destroyed, Sera. There was no paper trail to follow. I suspect they were purged by that Umbridge woman whose personal career goal was the persecution of werewolves.”

“So you encountered a minor roadblock,” she scoffed.

“Everyone had disappeared. The camps were nothing more than the derelict bones of abandoned factories. There was nothing to trace. Little by little, other werewolves returned to their homes. I hoped that you had been able to find your way also. Had I known Jeffrey’s last name, I might have had more luck among the Muggles; they’re notorious for keeping records in triplicate, I’ve been told.”

“It wouldn’t have done you any good; I was long gone by then. And I didn’t follow a predictable path,” she admitted hollowly. “That was the lesson I learned from Will’s death.”

Intrigued by her resilience, Remus delved, “How did you manage it, Sera? I had an organized band of brigands at my back, but you…”

“I had Bridget. I believe she trumps at least two or three of your freedom fighters.”

“So she landed on her feet as well? Thank goodness.” Remus had no doubt that much of his guilt over leaving Sera and Bridget behind had manifested itself in the fevered nightmares which had haunted his escape, but he kept that to himself.

“Bridget’s son-in-law showed up at the gates with so many bundles of official parchment you would have thought they were going to wallpaper the entire compound,” Sera noted sardonically. “They barely gave her time to pack her bags before they trundled her off in a dark sedan. Two months afterwards, she accompanied her family to a new diplomatic posting in France -- although she cleverly kept those details to herself.

“When she returned and told the guards she was assuming responsibility for me to accompany her for a weekend at the seashore, no one was the wiser. I was a bit unprepared when we Apparated to Le Havre instead, but by then I was out of their clutches. I took your advice and simply never came back.” She flashed him a smile tinged with forgiveness. “I’m just sorry I didn’t get a chance to see the stymied looks on their faces!”

Remus laughed triumphantly to know he had at least inspired a minor mutiny. “I believe this calls for a toast. Will you join me?”

“In the middle of the afternoon? Is that allowed?”

“If I didn’t have other appointments lined up, no one would be the wiser,” Remus noted with a mischievous wink. “As it is…” He held out his hands apologetically.

“We’ve barely touched on Serenity,” Sera gently reprimanded.

“Join me and my family for dinner tonight,” Remus proposed impetuously. “I’d love for you to meet them. By all means include Serenity and your husband as well.”

“Wouldn’t we be imposing on such short notice?”

“Amid all the chaos?” Remus chuckled good-naturedly. “Really, it’s nothing we can’t handle.”

“I can’t speak for my husband,” she demurred. “His personal timetable is maddening. But you can count on Serenity and me.” After a bit of consideration, she inquired, “Just how large is your family, Remus? I got the impression you were unmarried when I last saw you.”

“I was. It’s a bit of an extended family,” he explained. “I share the estate with my…” He struggled in vain for the proper word. “Well, you’ll see,” he offered magnanimously. “We generally eat at seven.”






There it was again, the soft trilling notes he’d come to associate with the presence of his father, James. They had been coming more frequently since the renovation of the old nursery that imploded in the final duel with Bellatrix Lestrange. Out of the rubble that also represented the site of Lily Potter’s last stand, Harry had built a reliquary of sorts for his parents. The shelves which once housed baby toys had been reconfigured to hold the photographs he’d found lovingly preserved atop the old piano in the ballroom. Their collection had expanded as friends and acquaintances brought additional photos, laying them reverently among the shelves of the Memory Room, as they had come to call it.

It had become a fitting tribute to the heroism of James and Lily, a place to pay respects to those who had never been allotted a proper burial. Long protected by a Fidelius Charm that endured unbroken, his parents’ bodies had lain undisturbed and uncollected within the walls of the crumbling Potter estate for most of Harry’s young life. All remains had long ago crumbled into dust to be whisked away by the gentle spring breezes and freezing gales of winter alike.

Harry had not protested when Tonks added a small childhood photo of Bellatrix seated between her two sisters. Despite the family acrimony, Andromeda had never ceased to care for her sister and Tonks’ had not held back her tears when her aunt had died in the collapse of the nursery walls.

After all, Tonks was part of his extended family now, even if she and Remus had renovated the other wing for their use. Everyone still shared the common areas of the large drawing room, dining areas and kitchen in the main part of the house much as his parents had done in the past. Remus had transformed the billiard room leading off the main foyer into a library and office, leaving the old billiard table on the first floor sitting room he had once shared with Sirius in the heady days after leaving school. With a comfortable bay window that bathed the room in light, it had become the unofficial playroom for the Lupin children ever since Harry and Ron had taken to shooting billiards when they babysat.

With no one to play the beautiful grand piano which had been situated in the ground floor ballroom, Remus had suggested removing it to the Memory Room. From the start, the piano looked perfectly at home in the middle of the room, patiently waiting for a visitor to reawaken its song. But other than an occasional foray by young Teddy who had been told he could begin lessons at age seven, the ivory keys remained silent.

It was not long after that Harry had begun to hear the haunting piano music, often as an accompaniment to his thoughts when he was alone. The melodies were soothing and sad at the same time, but never familiar enough for him to be able to name them or coherently recall the notes later. They were like wisps of memory; the comparison had come unbidden into his mind.

Recalling that Remus had said it had been James’ habit to play as the others lounged on the shady patio, Harry gingerly broached the subject of the mysterious serenades.

“Sorry, Harry. Can’t say that I’ve heard a thing, but I wouldn’t expect to in the other wing. Piano music wouldn’t travel that far.”

“Could it be a ghost?” Harry asked tentatively, hating to think his father had been so troubled in death that his spirit had remained tied to the earth.

“Others would have seen it then, don’t you think?” Remus replied kindly. “It’s only Muggle ghosts who are shy; wizards reveal themselves with gusto. Have you forgotten that from your years at Hogwarts?”

“I suppose Ginny would have seen him then,” Harry acknowledged Remus’ wisdom. She certainly spent the night often enough, Harry thought to himself “ leaving the works unspoken even though Remus and Tonks were both fully aware of the situation.

“You think you’re losing your mind, don’t you?” Remus posed with a compassionate smile.

Smiling sheepishly in return, Harry nodded. Just sharing his fears with Remus had already made him feel infinitely better.

“Would it surprise you if I told you that I, too, have experienced something similar? It was during my escape from the werewolf camp.” At Harry’s look of wide-eyed surprise, Remus confessed in a whisper, “If either of us were to confide in a Muggle Healer, the phenomenon would be classified as an auditory hallucination.”

“Something tells me you have an alternate explanation.”

With a small shrug, Remus admitted, “When I brought my concerns to Dumbledore, he professed he had not encountered anything remotely comparable in all his years “ then stressed that he was by no means an authority on the true nature of reality. Believe whatever feels right to you, Harry. That’s essentially the advice he gave me.”

“What would you conclude if the music came to your ears on a still night?”

“Did it feel spooky or threatening in any way?”

“That’s just it, Remus. It had a calming effect, almost as if the notes had been hanging in the air just out of my range of hearing for months.”

“And you’re afraid you may actually be welcoming neurosis with open arms?” Remus postulated with a wry chuckle. “This entire estate is alive with memories; I see them every day, in every shadow and movement. But they’re happy memories. The few short years that Sirius and I lived with James and Lily “ and then with you as a baby “ were filled with sunny days full of music and joy. You’ve seen the old photos. Since you can’t recall your first year of life, I think you’re feeling it in a different way.”

“So you think it’s James trying to reach out to me?”

“Are you so certain such a thing is impossible?” Remus countered softly.

“Perhaps we should have listened to those who insisted the entire estate was cursed. Bulldozed all the buildings and built from scratch, at the very least.”

“Since neither of us held with such superstitious drivel at the time, what makes you think that now?”

Harry took a moment to consider. What exactly had unsettled him? That others would think him a nutter? Not really, he’d dealt with that enough during his school years to realize the world around him was full of crackpots just begging to be recognized as visionaries. All they needed was a lectern and a rapt audience.

“Why haven’t I heard from my mother then?” Harry prompted with sudden insight.

“What makes you think you haven’t?” Remus returned cryptically. “Just give yourself time to see it. Lily was always the more subtle of the two.”

“Then you don’t think I’m going crazy?”

“They’ll have to lock us both away,” Remus attested with the lopsided grin he reserved for family members.

As the silent house wove its relaxing spell around him, Harry heard the music again. It was louder this time as if the melody was pouring in through his bedroom door. Experience had taught him that if he raced towards the Memory Room, the notes would die away as soon as his steps touched the hall carpet. It was best just to relax and enjoy the luxury of an afternoon nap mid-week. The hallways would be alive with the ringing laughter of everyone returning from Hogwarts soon enough.

As his limbs relaxed into the mattress, he felt his ambivalence fading for the new modified workweek that had been instituted in the Auror Department. Kingsley Shacklebolt had been quick with the innovations when he’d been appointed Department Head on the eve of Gawain Robards’ retirement. Why anyone would need an afternoon off at the expense of working an extra hour on the other days had come as a complete mystery to most, Harry included. The Ministry atrium rang hollowly with the footsteps of the small cadre of Aurors who left later each day than the workers in other departments. One more bit of evidence that Kingsley was either ahead of his time or a raving lunatic, depending upon which camp you found yourself in. Harry had always considered Kingsley an affable sort who was always on top of things despite his casual manner. Close ties with Remus during their days in the Order of the Phoenix meant that he was a frequent visitor to their home. Wisely, Harry had refused to weigh in on the debate, concluding that he would let Kingsley make his mark in whatever way the man thought best, reserving judgment for the day in which something truly earth-shattering came to pass.






Tonks held her two exuberant children back to keep them from racing up the stairs. She was tired from a long day of teaching, but they seemed to get a second wind the minute they set foot on their home turf.

“Now you know Wednesdays are Harry’s early day,” she cautioned them in a whisper. “I’m sure he won’t mind if you two seek him out. But remember: if he’s taking a nap, please wake him gently.”

Nodding eagerly, they both shoved their coats into their mother’s arms and tiptoed with exaggerated movements up the short stairs leading to the room that had once belonged to Lily and James. With a loving sigh, Tonks levitated their discarded clothing onto the proper pegs in the adjoining mudroom they had fashioned from the hall closet. She would probably never become as adept at household spells as her mother who would have had the coats mounted on hangers with a flick of her little finger. The row of hooks was more practical as the children could reach and stow their own belongings, sitting down on the adjacent bench to secure galoshes when needed.

Keeping an ear out for overly boisterous activity, Tonks left her outdoor shoes just inside the mudroom door and followed up the stairs at a more measured pace. Hearing the muted voices from the far bedroom, she ducked into the Memory Room across the hall.

Among the overflowing bookshelves, she located the small corner that had been allotted to the Black family. True to his generous nature, Harry had not balked when she had suggested placing a small family portrait in memory of her aunt, Bellatrix, in one corner. Taken while they were still at Hogwarts, the photo showed off the resemblance of the three sisters in the days before Bella had joined Voldemort’s fanatical inner circle and before her own mother’s elopement had categorized her as a pariah. Bella’s funeral had been nothing more than a furtive ceremony, Tonks’ father, Ted, being certain that they would be ambushed by errant Death Eaters at any moment. Despite Andromeda’s best attempts to mend the rift with her remaining sister, Narcissa Malfoy had been too distraught over Draco’s fate at the hands of the Dark Lord to think of anything else. Her husband, Lucius, had swept her away with a glacial look, all the while making the word ‘murderess’ reverberate inside Tonks’ skull.

She represented the only viable line of the Black family now, Tonks noted grimly as she stared into those three hopeful faces. There was little doubt that Draco’s death had cut a deep hole in Narcissa’s heart. Andromeda had been right to insist that Cissy was not too old to have another child; the new joy being the surest antidote to unending sorrow. Despite the aid of the best Healers, though, Cissy had suffered miscarriage after miscarriage leading her deeper into despair. Finally one had postulated that no pregnancy would be successful until she stopped feeling the need to punish herself for the past. Taking the Healer’s insight to heart, the Malfoys ceased their efforts to recreate their family.

Harry had gone out of his way to give due credit to Draco’s memory, often repeating the tale of how the lad’s ghost had come to him in the heat of the final battle and helped to end the stalemate with Voldemort. Yet Tonks wondered how much solace that truly gave the Malfoys. As a mother herself, she was certain Narcissa would have preferred her son alive and breathing, faults and all, to a plaque that memorialized his heroism in a museum.

It had not helped, either, that Tonks and Remus had found the promise of peace in those shaky days after Voldemort’s downfall to be fertile ground on which to start their own family. First Teddy, then two years later, Phoebe, had demonstrated conclusively that the infusion of Muggle genes from the Tonks side had greatly improved the pure blood of the Black dynasty. Andromeda ignored all of her sister’s barbs insinuating that Metamorphmagi and other aberrations could hardly be considered improvements to their family line; she was wise enough to see that it was envy more than anything fueling her sister’s remarks. Despite her best efforts to include Cissy in family events, all invitations had been coldly refused.

Ironically, Phoebe had clearly taken after the Black side of the family. With her long flaxen locks, she was so much like her Aunt Cissy that it was hard for anyone, even those who knew of the family rift, to keep from making the comparison. Tonks herself made it each time she looked at the school portrait, wishing there was some way to heal old wounds.







Harry heard them trying to sneak up the stairs long before they entered his bedroom. Not to spoil their fun, he feigned to be sleeping soundly as he felt the small dip in the mattress from Phoebe.

“Dormez-vous?” she inquired as she peeked at Harry’s face, making quick note that his glasses were still folded neatly on the nightstand.

Harry made a big production of opening first one eye and then the other and then pretending to clutch his chest in shock at the blond haired munchkin who was straddling his knees. Phoebe giggled happily as she relaxed her hold on the ears of the stuffed rabbit she carried with her everywhere. Now was his chance, Harry thought slyly as the hand he’d casually tucked under his pillow made contact with his wand.

Levicorpus! he intoned silently as his god-daughter was hoisted bodily into the air above the large four-poster bed. High-pitched laugher accompanied the outstretched clutching of her small hand as she valiantly tried to summon her toy. Soundlessly, Harry aided the rather threadbare yellow rabbit to float into her fist.

For the hundredth time, Harry wondered why Remus had not dubbed her Pooh Bear or some other variant, perhaps even Piglet, in recognition of her constant companion. But she had vehemently resisted any such nicknames, finally allowing that they could refer to her simply as ‘Rabbit’, preferably with the guttural French ‘r’ sound that her brother liked to demonstrate.

“One of these days, she’s going to wake you up just like that,” Teddy announced matter-of-factly from Harry’s other side. After years of practice, Harry had learned to mask the involuntary start Teddy’s soundless appearances often invoked. Small wonder his father had dubbed him ‘Spook’ despite the bright shock of turquoise hair his son preferred.

“He’s going to be a natural at Stealth and Tracking,” Tonks had beamed proudly. “Once he learns to control his appearance enough to blend in with his surroundings, that is. No clumsy bones in that one; not like his old mum, not at all.”

Aiming a reproachful look in Teddy's direction, Harry warned, “I better not catch you teaching it to her. I’ll freeze the hair right off your head if you do.”

Nonplussed, Teddy returned, “I’ll just change it right back.”

“Not if you’re too busy shivering in the depths of an Antarctic snowdrift!”

“You’re not that good with long distance Apparition,” Teddy scoffed in an authoritative tone.

“Want to bet your father is?” Harry shot back, flashing his godson a wicked grin.

At Phoebe’s appreciative giggle from the rafters, Harry released the spell without looking in her direction, knowing the moment of wide-eyed shock would be appeased by much giggling as she bounced safely on the mattress.

“Tell him,” Phoebe urged from Harry’s other side.

“Don’t rush me, Rabbit,” Teddy moaned playfully as he artfully intoned the French pronunciation he knew neither Harry nor Tonks could duplicate. Taking inspiration, he took off in a long string of French sentences to which Phoebe nodded happily.

He should have been expecting it, Harry thought to himself. It was always the same after the children returned from spending a day with Victoire, the daughter of Fleur and Bill Weasley. Aided by Remus’ tutoring at home, Spook had been chattering away with Victoire like a native for years now. Fleur had been delighted with Remus’ suggestion that the children spend at least one afternoon a week together, insisting on rearranging her work schedule so she could watch them. With the addition of Phoebe and two-year-old Yvette into the mix, the children had whispered to Harry that they had learned a secret language.

Harry would have given anything to see the shocked looks on their faces when they had first attempted to outwit Minerva McGonagall and she responded in kind. When Remus and Tonks had come to retrieve their children at day’s end, the Headmistress had given Remus a reproachful look.

“You could have at least warned me, Remus,” she’d admonished him.

“And ruin such a useful object lesson about assumptions?” Remus responded mischievously.

“You’re just lucky my school-girl French can handle the vocabulary of a five-year-old!”

“Now you’ll have chance to practice,” Remus replied with a smile as he tried to avoid looking in the direction of Poppy Pomfrey who was laughing silently in the background.

Mr. Filch, the grizzled caretaker of Hogwarts castle, had been less generous when he’d found his cat being dressed in doll clothing. “Get away from her, you miscreant!” he’d snarled as he clutched a mewling Mrs. Norris to his chest. “This cat’s an employee of Hogwarts, not a plaything or a pet!”

Minerva had smoothed things over with Mr. Filch, but not before Teddy had overheard the man grumbling about how such a child shouldn’t grace the halls of Hogwarts when he was old enough; he should be shipped off to Durmstrang where such reprobates were tamed.

It had been to shocked faces all around that Teddy had later posed blithely, “Where’s Durmstrang?”

Out of earshot, Minerva had whispered, “I’m certain he overheard a suggestion made by Mr. Filch.” Her look conveyed that Durmstrang had actually been Mr. Filch’s second choice of where to send Teddy.

“No one knows for sure, Spook,” Remus answered his son honestly. “Somewhere that the climate is much colder than in Scotland.”

“The North Pole?” Teddy suggested merrily.

“Possibly,” Tonks allowed calmly. “Someplace mountainous, I think.”

But Teddy had not missed the shared looks between his parents and it wasn’t long before he snidely brought up Durmstang whenever anyone mentioned what a scamp he was turning out to be. He reveled in the shocked looks on the faces of the adults around him as his parents interceded with some joke or another. Every child knows that anything which generates such consternation among adults has got to be especially good.

So when Harry’s school chum, Ron Weasley, had called him incorrigible, Teddy volunteered, “They’re sending me to Durmstrang, you know.”

“That’s not true, Spook,” Remus spoke up with a wry grin. “Hogwarts hasn’t rejected you “ yet.”

“After all,” Harry’s fiancée, Ginny, remarked, “Hogwarts accepted Fred and George.”

“Yes, but they’re still rethinking that one,” Harry interjected.

But it had been Ron’s pregnant wife, Hermione, who had absolutely floored Spook with her comment. “It’s not so bad, Teddy. I once knew a rather nice chap from Durmstrang. He was a Quidditch champion and everything.”

“Not that he doesn’t have a paunch and a receding hairline these days,” Ron breathed in Harry’s direction. Harry nodded his assent, having seen the same magazine photos of Viktor Krum’s retirement from the Bulgarian team.

“Is it true about the beatings?” Teddy urged, eager that he had found an adult who didn’t summarily shut the door on all issues related to Durmstrang.

“He overheard Filch grumbling,” Tonks supplied.

“Well, it’s actually Mr. Filch who’s such a big fan of corporal punishment,” Ron elaborated to Teddy’s delight. “Always threatened that he had the necessary paperwork to hang us from our ankles in the dungeons. Didn’t he, Harry?”

“Thanks to his deplorable filing system, he could never lay hands on the permission slips,” Harry attested.

“Otherwise you might be taller today,” Ginny quipped in Harry’s ear amid much background laughter.

“Don’t let those threats of Durmstrang get to you,” Hermione confided to Teddy. “There’s something to be said about a school that instills such gentlemanly manners in their students. Why Viktor escorted me to the Yule Ball and proved to be the most accomplished dancer. I felt as weightless as a feather when he twirled and lifted me into the air,” she finished dreamily.

Hermione hadn’t expected the look of revulsion that screwed up Teddy’s face. With a makeshift belch of utter contempt, he fled from the room.

Long after the children had been put to bed, Harry discovered Tonks in the kitchen offering hushed congratulations to Hermione for finally setting Teddy straight.

Was it any wonder that since the birth of the Lupin offspring, Harry had honed his ability to sleep with one eye open? Not that such a development hadn’t delighted Alastor Moody, his steadfast mentor in the Auror Department.

Bringing his thoughts back to the present, Harry demanded of the devilishly bright lad before him, “Could you give that to me in simpler terms? I’m not sure my brain is totally awake yet.”

With an exaggerated roll to his eyes, Teddy repeated the sentences again more slowly with overly precise enunciation “ and still in French. His eyes looked challengingly at Harry.

Not to be out-smarted by a five-year-old, Harry took a moment to review. The only words he recognized were père, ami, and manger. “Your father is bringing a friend to dine with us?” he ventured, thinking to himself that it was usually Tonks who brought old friends home.

Teddy nodded eagerly as Phoebe added, “Tonight.”

“It’s true,” Tonks affirmed from the doorway. “That’s why Remus had me retrieve the children early today. Otherwise, he’d still be chattering away with Fleur himself. You know how they get.”

Harry nodded as he thought what an unexpected development that had been. He’d had the distinct impression Remus considered Fleur to be a frivolous waste of time much as Ginny had in the beginning. Somehow conversing in her native tongue had convinced Remus otherwise and it was not unusual for him to return quite late on those evenings when he retrieved the children from her care.

“Who’s the guest?” Harry asked of Tonks.

“Remus wouldn’t say.” She shrugged. “I was just to tell Dobby that there would be two more at the table tonight.”

“Good thing Dobby’s not prone to last minute panics.”

“Not even when I relayed Remus’ request for chocolate soufflé for dessert,” Tonks remarked.

Must be someone truly special indeed, Harry noted as he sent along a Patronus message to Ginny.






“Did you find a dress finally?” Harry posed as Ginny rummaged through his tie drawer.

“Is there something wrong with what I’m wearing?” she queried as she checked the deep violet suede of her blouse in the mirror.

“I meant for the wedding,” Harry added only to catch on that she’d known what he meant all along. “It’s less than two months away,” he added in a vain attempt to save face. He didn’t mention that their long engagement had given her ample time to settle on something.

“I think so,” she admitted as she sank back in the armchair, lazily watching Harry knot the tie she’d chosen. “If I can get Mum to approve. The color for one thing.”

“How unconventional is it?” Harry’s fingers stopped in mid-stream, well aware that wizards didn’t always hold with Muggle ideas. He wasn’t that big of a traditionalist himself, but he wanted to be prepared if Ginny decided to wear emerald green, for instance.

“It’s sort of a silvery grey,” Ginny replied. “Andromeda described it as oyster.”

“That shouldn’t be so bad,” Harry asserted. “Dare I ask how much? I know you don’t want to burden your fam--”

“A bargain really,” Ginny confirmed in a tone that made Harry exceedingly nervous.

“You’d better tell me the whole story,” Harry urged as he leaned his hip against the over-stuffed arm of the facing chair.

“There’s not much to tell,” Ginny admitted with a small shrug. “After all those months of searching through wedding establishments which rolled out their most hideous and over-wrought monstrosities the minute I arrived, Hermione found just the thing in a vintage fashion magazine. I didn’t want to jinx it by showing you. Even with a photo in hand, no one could help. They suggested I have someone make it for me.”

“I thought Tonks nixed that idea early on as rather risky.”

“She did. But she also suggested that I enlist her mother’s assistance, claming that Andromeda’s contacts in Paris could work miracles. But then Hermione pointed out the price for Parisian couture and, well, we tried to make another stab at stores that just sold party dresses.”

“Any luck there?”

“Lots, if I wanted to be married in black or even navy blue. Hermione found this smashing plum number…”

With a deep sigh, Ginny continued how she had finally capitulated and agreed to meet Andromeda for lunch, just the two of them. In despair, she had convinced herself to abandon all preconceived notions and just put herself into the woman’s hands. After all, Tonks always looked fabulous when she sought her mother’s assistance. Sensing the desperation in Ginny’s tale, Andromeda had surprised her by noting that Tonks really had no idea what she wanted most of the time.

“On the other hand, I sense you just haven’t found something which you specifically want,” Andromeda observed. “Give me something to go on.”

Unlike the salespeople who had totally ignored the photo that Ginny shakily unfolded, Andromeda smiled knowingly as she gazed at the long, unadorned gown of golden satin, its lush train laid out elegantly against ebony marble tiles.

“Surely it’s not the color?”

“No, it’s the shape, the simplicity. A girl won’t need a bevy of attendants to secure an endless row of Victorian buttons.”

“But a strapless gown for a wedding? Even if it is modestly cut.”

“That part’s negotiable also,” Ginny affirmed. “I just like the way the gown makes me feel every time I look at is. Almost as if its magical.”

“I have an idea.” Andromeda winked. “If nothing more, it will be a starting point.”

Without further ado, they had Apparated back to the Tonks residence and Andromeda returned with a long silver gown from her own closet. “Is this more to your liking? Tonks always claimed it was much too drab for her, but I just couldn’t bear to part with it. It no longer fits me after bearing a child, I’m afraid.”

Trusting in Andromeda’s vision, Ginny had tried on the dress, reveling in the soft fabric and the way in which it gracefully draped across her hips, accentuating the curves with its narrow cut.

“If you’ll allow me,” Andromeda suggested, having slipped noiselessly into the room.

With a few swipes of her wand, she created the illusion that the dress had been altered more in keeping with Ginny’s petite frame. The hem no longer dragged the floor as the elegant pleated train moved in tandem with her body. It was the sort of dress movie goddesses had once worn in the days when they graced unattainable pedestals.

“Where can we get such a gown today?” Ginny breathed in reverence.

“Alas, the gentleman who designed it has long since passed away. Squibs don’t live as long as the rest of wizarding kind, I’m sad to say.”

“Anyone who could design something like this could hardly be classified as a Squib,” Ginny protested. “He just worked his magic in another medium.”

“I tend to agree, dear. Why don’t you take this gown? Have it professionally altered; I can recommend someone who won’t let you down. Let it be my wedding gift to you. The color suits you more than I would have ever supposed.”

Suddenly self-conscious, Ginny had raised her left hand to her breast to keep the surprisingly heavy neckline from slipping too low. As the light caught the long, marquis cut amethyst in her engagement ring, she was surprised to note that there were underlying lavender tones in the grey fabric as well.

“See how it shows off the stone in your unconventional ring?” Andromeda urged. “It’s a shame more wizards don’t hold with such a delightful Muggle custom.”

“You don’t think it’s an archaic manner of marking one’s territory?” Ginny replied with a pithy giggle.

Andromeda laughed in return, her velvety voice making Ginny feel at ease. “I don’t suspect you do, either. Despite the best efforts of my daughter to place such doubts into your head.”

Ginny acknowledged the other woman’s acumen with a wordless nod. “Harry said he couldn’t tear his eyes from me the first time he’d seen me wear purple. The jewel was just a pale echo of that.”

“Did you agree?” Harry inquired as he took in the dreamy look that had come over Ginny’s face.

“Only if Mum approves,” she answered as his words pulled her into the present. “If anything I should be wearing her gown; only Mum got married in a rather frumpy suit, if we’re being perfectly honest. And it’s not like it was Andromeda’s wedding dress, either. It was designed as a ball gown.”

“Ginny, at the risk of raining bad luck upon us, do you have a picture?”

Ginny looked at him quizzically before she surmised, “That’s just Muggle superstition. Wizards don’t think in those terms!”

Summoning a small folder from the stack of papers she had deposited on the dresser, Ginny withdrew two photos. One of a twenty-something Andromeda and an instant photo of her in the same general position.

“I just learned this spell, so please be patient,” Ginny pleaded as she quickly superimposed her photo over the one of Andromeda among a group of people at a lavish party.

With a muttered incantation Harry thought might be in French, Ginny placed the sandwiched photos tenderly on the adjoining table. Before their eyes, the lines of the underlying photo twisted themselves onto the image of Ginny as if she were being draped in layers of ethereal fabric. When the movement finished, they both gasped at the full effect. Ginny seemed to be clothed in a shimmering grey waterfall, small pools and eddies undulating across her body as she breathed. Harry did not have the words to describe it.

“I’ll help you to convince your mother,” he breathed in her ear.
Three: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Three
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner



“She did it again,” Teddy whispered as soon as he had Harry to himself in the short hallway. Wordlessly, he nodded in Phoebe’s direction as she was just pulling herself up the stairs using the banister rungs as handholds. “Black and white just as before. Victoire saw.”

“What about Mrs. Weasley?” Harry prodded. “Did you ask her?”

Teddy nodded eagerly, bringing a miniature version of the Marauder twinkle to his eyes. So much like his father, Harry noted inwardly, the serious demeanor and unconscious rangy grace already evident. Only the vivid hair color distinguished him as Tonks’ offspring as well. “Granmum Weasel said she hadn’t seen any.”

Harry couldn’t help but chuckle. “That’s Grandmother Weasley,” he corrected. “Just because Phoebe can’t--”

“Ma Weasel, Ma Weasel,” Phoebe issued in a singsong voice as her short legs carried her past Harry and into the waiting arms of Ginny who was just closing the bedroom door at the end of the hall.

“Don’t you look lovely today,” Ginny crooned as she scooped the youngster into her arms. The bright tartan of the diminutive skirt draped over Ginny’s arm as the white tights of Phoebe’s legs dangled happily. With a chubby finger, Phoebe pointed to the black velvet Alice band that complimented her long blonde hair. “Very nice,” Ginny assured her. “Your mother has a rare talent with hair.”

Satisfied that she’d passed muster, Phoebe squirmed free and ran down the short hallway to wait at the head of the stairs for the others to catch up to her.

“Did you think to ask Ginny?” Harry urged Teddy. “She grew up at the Burrow.”

“Ask me what?” Ginny posed directly to Harry.

“Teddy has spied rabbits at the Burrow on a few occasions and was curious about their origin,” Harry explained.

“Victoire claimed they were her special friends,” Teddy interjected.

“Really now?” Ginny remarked as she looked down into Teddy’s intense eyes. “Weren’t you able to ask them personally? Surely a spook like you wouldn’t have any trouble sneaking up on a few harmless rabbits.”

“It’s always the same rabbit,” Teddy insisted with a small scowl at her teasing. “A black and white one.”

“I wasn’t aware the girls had any pets,” Ginny supplied.

“That’s what Molly said,” Harry echoed. “What about wild rabbits wandering out from the woods?”

Despite catching the serious import in Harry’s look, Ginny replied with a smile, “I really don’t think so. Any animals on the grounds were driven off long ago by my brothers. Dad used to claim the twins were capable of scaring away the summer mosquitoes as well.”

“I never heard of mosquito venom used in novelty products, but I wouldn’t put it past Fred and George.” Harry laughed good-naturedly.

“You don’t believe me!” Teddy remarked plaintively.

“Actually, I do, champ,” Harry whispered, crouching down to be at eye level with his godson as Ginny ushered Phoebe down the stairs. “It’s just a bit hard to believe that it’s your sister.”

“Why? You and Dad both change into animals. Big animals. So Phoebe has to start small.”

“I’m not denying the logic of your conclusions…”

“Then what?” Teddy probed, his innate curiosity so much like his father’s that Harry couldn’t just brush him off.

“Your Dad and I studied long and hard to become Animagi, over a year in my case. It’s a technique that requires the use of a wand. Phoebe has no wand.”

“I don’t need a wand to change my hair color.”

“Nor does your mother,” Harry acknowledged. “But you have to admit her control is far superior to yours.”

“She just likes to change her mind more often,” Teddy replied, unconvinced. “I just stick with turquoise.”

“So that explains why you like to wear that black jumper so much,” Ginny volunteered from the stairs. “To show off your hair.”

Harry barely suppressed a smile as he recalled Tonks giving in to her son’s preferences with a weary sigh. “At least black won’t clash violently with whatever color his mood dictates,” she’d admitted just loud enough for Harry to overhear.

“Mum says it makes him look growed up,” Phoebe called gaily as she tugged impatiently on Ginny’s hand.

“Wouldn’t surprise me,” Ginny confided to the little girl at her side. “Harry used to think the same thing when he was at Hogwarts. Used to think a black jumper made him seem like less of a nervous school boy.”

Harry joined in with the laughter at his expense, putting his concerns about Phoebe from his mind for the moment. Remus was unlikely to believe anything unless he saw it with his own eyes, anyway.






Tonks stared at herself critically in the hall mirror as she dispatched her children to seek out Harry and Ginny. Their guests would arrive between half-past six and seven and it wouldn’t do to have those two wandering down from upstairs as if they owned the place, even though technically Harry did. His half anyway.

The black leather pants and creamy folds of the poet’s shirt were perfectly in keeping with the contrasts Remus always whispered so beguiled him. The blue hair, though…. No, not tonight. She wanted to make an impression in a different way. In a way that was not so similar to her classroom persona. With a bit of concentration, her hair was transformed into short dark waves, sculpted ever so casually with a bit of glossy gel.

With a final flick of her wand, she summoned the bold necklace she’d purchased on a whim over the summer. Tucking her wand firmly into her belt, she reviewed the look in the mirror and nodded her approval.

She could hear Ginny’s and Harry’s voices as they started down the stairs, the squeakier pitch of her children’s words interlaced in the conversation. With a colossal sneeze of lavender smoke, the oversized hearth in the sitting room announced that their guests’ arrival was imminent. In the next heartbeat, Remus was brushing the last vestiges of Floo powder from his dark trousers. Tonks could see he had swapped his suit coat for a more casual jumper but had not removed his tie.

“Welcome to my home,” Remus was saying as he gallantly offered a hand to each of the guests as they tumbled from the Floo. “This is my wife, Tonks…. Harry and Ginny. And the two little midgets are my children, Teddy and Phoebe.” As he said the last part, Remus squatted down and held his arms out so his children could engulf him in a welcoming hug. The customary greeting completed, he drew himself up to full height and added, “This is Sera Thierry and her daughter, Serenity, who is one of my students this year.”

As the polite words of introduction were exchanged, Harry caught Serenity’s awed expression and watched as recognition slowly suffused her features.

“Why, you’re Harry Potter!” she exclaimed softly, then put her hand to her mouth for having spoken out of turn.

Harry gave her his most winning smile to put her at ease. “Yes, I am. And this is my fiancée, Ginny. We’re both very pleased to meet you.”

Sera stopped in mid-sentence and looked at Remus and then at Harry and back again. Clearly, she was at a loss for words. After a few moments of indecision, she settled for, “I never knew you had such a distinguished pedigree, Remus.”

Remus laughed heartily as he steered his guests into the drawing room. “I don’t. Harry and I sort of adopted one another since neither one of us had any other family left. Tonks is cousin to Harry’s late godfather and now Harry is godfather to my children.”

“It’s a bit confusing,” Tonks acknowledged, “but it works for us. And the children absolutely adore Harry.”

“Then this house…” Sera hesitated, remembering all too well the tragic details she’d read. Could this be the house in which Harry’s parents had been murdered by the darkest wizard of all time?

Sensing her discomfort, Harry volunteered, “This was originally the Potter estate. My parents left half to me and the other half to their closest friends -- of which Remus is the only survivor. We could have simply divided the land in half and lived as neighbors, but this arrangement suits us better. It’s kept me from having to endure lonely nights as a bachelor.”

And it allowed Remus’ family the services of the house-elf who demanded to work for you when you left school, Ginny thought to herself but wisely kept silent. After all, she knew Remus insisted on paying his share of Dobby’s salary.

Noticing that Teddy and Phoebe were clustered around Serenity’s chair, Remus suggested, “Why don’t the two of you give Serenity the grand tour?”

“By ourselves?” Teddy posed as he eagerly jumped to his feet.

“Of course, you don’t want her to think you get lost in your own house, do you?” Addressing Serenity directly, Remus added, “Feel free to speak with them in French; they seem to think it’s their secret language.”

Phoebe was already tugging Serenity by the hand and leading her towards the checkerboard tiles of the foyer when Tonks called out, “Mind that Harry’s room is off-limits.”

“Really, it’s all right,” Harry demurred in an undertone. “It’s not like I have secrets around here.” He could feel Ginny give his hand a gentle squeeze at his side, effectively reminding him that the drawer in which she stored a few of her things was carefully warded against inquisitive children.

“Nonetheless, they should recognize certain boundaries,” Remus affirmed.

As the rapid-fire cadences could be heard from the next room, Sera turned to her hosts. “I didn’t know your children were so accomplished at such a young age.”

“Ginny’s sister-in-law hails from Provence,” Remus supplied. “The children play together at least one afternoon a week.”

“Then it’s true that you speak all those languages? Serenity and I were part of the special diplomatic group who was allowed to visit the museum,” Sera added by way of explanation. “It’s a shame all the exhibits were not yet finalized.”

“Some more than others -- I suppose that goes for languages as well as the exhibits,” Remus replied modestly. “Too many hours to kill while I searched in vain for employment, I’m afraid.”

“Yet I wager not a single other werewolf used his extra time in such a manner,” Sera suggested with a wry arch to her eyebrow.

Who is this woman who seems to know my husband so intimately? Tonks thought to herself. An old girlfriend he swept under the rug? She caught Ginny’s quizzical eye and surmised that she was having similar thoughts. Remus was hardly one to speak so openly about his lycanthropy, either. Even today, there were too many deeply entrenched prejudices for that.

Finally finding the courage to speak up, Tonks demanded, “Forgive me for being at a disadvantage, but how exactly are the two of you acquainted?” She held her breath, dreading all the possibilities.

Nonetheless, Sera’s candid answer took her by surprise. “Remus and I spent a delightful six months in a werewolf camp together. I would have thought he’d filled you in.”

“Didn’t really get the chance,” Remus admitted sheepishly. “It’s not the sort of thing one discusses in front of small children; it was hardly Club Med.”

“But surely they know of your condition?” Sera gasped.

“As well as such things can be explained,” Tonks elaborated. “Everyone in the family has unique traits so it doesn’t seem like such an oddity. Except for Phoebe, that is, but she’s still so young.”

“That’s right. Serenity mentioned how entertaining your classes were, Tonks.” Sera offered graciously. “Metamorphmagi are the sort of things one reads about but never actually meets.”

Tonks smiled at the compliment and added a small rainbow trill of hair color changes, concluding with Teddy’s trademark turquoise shade before returning to her previous style. Still, it was difficult to imagine this elegant young woman before her was a werewolf. If anything, Tonks would have pegged her as a devotee of the same Parisian shops her mother preferred, what with her elegant navy twin set and opera length pearls.

With a welcoming smile, Ginny volunteered a tidbit from her years at the Wireless News Desk, “It’s a shame His Excellency, your husband, was unable to join us tonight.” She paused briefly to gauge the effect of the announcement. Sure enough, Remus and Tonks were thunderstruck, but Sera just took it in stride.

“Michel’s schedule is an absolute nightmare,” Sera admitted. “I constantly have to check with his social secretary to see when he’s free.”

Ginny caught Harry’s amused smirk as Remus struggled for a response. She knew that after years of being in the spotlight himself, Harry always enjoyed it when someone else was the center of attention. Good thing she’d been right about the connection, Ginny thought wryly.

“Your husband’s Michel Lucien Thierry, the ambassador from the French Ministry?” Remus stammered.

“I thought you knew.”

“Isn’t he an older bloke?” Tonks blurted out then blushed at her deplorable manners. “Forgive how that sounds…”

Sera laughed easily. “You’re thinking of his father, Philippe. He retired a few months ago. That’s why everything is in such a turmoil.”

“The transfer of power,” Harry supplied with a sage nod.

“You’re awfully quiet tonight.” Remus poked Harry playfully with his elbow.

“Just enjoying you getting caught short for once,” Harry quipped.

The conversation flowed freely as they sipped a delightful aperitif Tonks had discovered during their scouting trip to Spain that summer.

“Really, Remus, I’m surprised you never applied to the diplomatic corps,” Sera commented. “Such a facility for languages is a rare talent. I could still put in a good word for you…”

Remus laughed in the light-hearted manner which seemed to come naturally to him since Voldemort’s defeat. “Did you forget I’m routinely indisposed each month?”

“As am I,” Sera affirmed. “Michel has no qualms about making the necessary allowances. Truly, your value would far outweigh any inconvenience!”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, but old attitudes prevail more than you realize. Besides, I’m quite happy where I am.”

“The Headmistress has long harbored a dream to make Hogwarts more competitive by offering foreign languages,” Tonks expounded with a note of pride. “Remus here was tailor-made for the task of making it a reality.”

“So you intend to offer more than French, Italian and Spanish in the future?” Sera inquired with obvious interest.

“I intend to recruit a German instructor during the summer holidays,” Remus remarked. “It’s part of my job to scout out appropriate candidates who the Headmistress can interview for a final decision.”

“Doesn’t that interfere with your holiday?” Sera posed.

“The Headmistress is very generous in that respect,” Remus supplied. “She always procures the most delightful accommodations for the family so we can all immerse ourselves in the culture for at least a month. Even our house-elf finds he enjoys the chance to learn new recipes.”

“It’s hard to argue with such an assignment,” Sera agreed.

Harry caught the unspoken words Remus clearly felt were too personal to voice, even to another werewolf: how the summer sabbaticals were timed precisely so his family was safely ensconced in another country while he Flooed back in time to transform at home. Since mastering the Animagus transformation, it was a ritual Harry shared during those summer months when it was necessary to discontinue the reconfigured Wolfsbane Potion Remus took for the remainder of the year. It was an ingenious solution which benefited the school as well as Remus, Harry noted, not wanting to think back on the first nerve-wracking summers when Tonks and Teddy had been hurried off to the safety of her parents’ home during full moons.

Harry refocused his attention on their guests as Sera addressed Tonks directly, “You must bring back some wonderful things.”

Tonks sighed in contentment. “I suppose it would be a dream come true for an unrepentant shopper like my mum. I just enjoy having some unbroken days to spend with my children.”

“Besides, it’s Remus who brings back the unexpected surprises,” Ginny offered with a wide smirk.

Harry couldn’t help laughing out loud as Remus had once again been put on the spot.

With a quick glance as the sparkling challenge in Ginny’s eyes, Remus did a quick surveillance of the immediate area to make sure the children were still out of range. His expression relaxed somewhat as he caught a glimpse of them escorting Serenity across the front lawn towards the far wing that housed their own bedrooms.

“Please do tell,” Sera urged as she caught Tonks’ amused expression.

With a rueful shake of his head, Remus recounted the events surrounding the recruitment of Signorina Olivetti, their new Italian teacher. “She’s actually a Muggle, you see. Her paternal grandparents were both wizards, but her father was a Squib who married a Muggle. Having grown up with her grandfather, Enzo, living upstairs, she was quite familiar with the wizarding world.”

“But you know how old-fashioned these Italian families can be,” Tonks interjected with a barely contained giggle. “And an unmarried daughter accepting a post abroad required further inspection.”

“Having heard of Hogwarts, Grandfather Enzo accompanied Ms. Olivetti to her interview with the Headmistress so he could acquaint himself with the exact nature of the accommodations and teaching post she was being offered,” Remus continued.

“Surely he wasn’t put off by Minerva McGonagall…” Sera urged.

“Oh, no,” Tonks intoned. “Mr. Enzo got along famously with the Heads.”

“Both of them,” Harry emphasized.

“Especially Professor Sprout,” Ginny clarified mischievously.

“Professor Sprout?” Sera asked, unfamiliar with the name.

“She teaches Herbology,” Remus explained. “She’s also the Deputy Headmistress. So while Minerva prepared the Olivettis a delightful home-cooked meal to win them over, Pomona took Enzo on a tour of her exotic gardens --”

“The long and short of it is that Pomona Sprout recently announced her plans to retire at the end of the school year and relocate to Enzo’s Tuscan villa,” Tonks supplied. “She’s been showing off her engagement ring ever since.”

Sera laughed merrily. “What a charming tale. I never took you for such a match-maker, Remus.”

“I’m not,” he decried. “Blame it on Minerva’s cooking; she’s the one who wields the culinary magic in this story.”

“Not that any of this has been announced to the students,” Harry warned. “Not even the upcoming retirement.”

“Minerva will want to announce the name of the replacement Herbologist, if at all possible,” Ginny asserted. “And I’m fairly certain she hasn’t even started on that.”

“Not yet,” Remus confirmed. “Although I suspect Pomona Sprout might have a say in that decision herself.”

He was saved from having to elaborate as Dobby took that moment to announce dinner was ready as he ushered the children in before him.

“But I wasn’t done with the tour!” Teddy protested to the elf and then to his father in French.

“Finish after dinner,” Remus suggested as he urged Serenity to sit at one end of the long table with the Lupin brood. “We don’t hold much with ceremony here,” he advised her directly. “You’ll find it much easier to continue with your conversations if you don’t have to constantly talk across the others. You’ll still be close enough to follow the adult conversation if you wish.”

Somewhere between the soup and the main course, they got down to the crux of the matter.

“I know you’ve not been pleased with my classes,” Remus addressed Serenity directly.

“Please, don’t take that personally, Professor,” Serenity replied with wide eyes at being put on the spot. “Everyone says you’re such a wonderful teacher…”

“You shouldn’t have to struggle through mediocre lessons, Serenity. I, too, spoke French at your age and would have been most insulted with the Hogwarts curriculum. So, here’s what I propose we do instead…”

Harry found that as long as he didn’t try to contribute too much to the individual conversations, he could listen to Remus on his left as well as follow the avid wedding planning that absorbed Ginny and Tonks to his right. His initial puzzlement over Tonks’ enthusiasm when she had eschewed all such trappings for her own wedding had long since been explained away by Remus’ sobering reminder that things had been a lot different in the midst of an all-out wizarding war. They had been extremely lucky to find a bit of untouched paradise amid the chaos to pledge themselves to one another.

“Just look at what happened to Fleur and Bill,” Ginny supplied. “They had to wait until Voldemort was defeated to congregate so many wizards in one place at one time.”

“Not that I would have waited until after the war,” Tonks had confided sotto voce. “I wasn’t fool enough to give the Viscount of Vacillation here a chance to change his mind.”

Harry was amused that the selection of the dress, the biggest obstacle according to Ginny, had simply given rise to another set of challenges. Ginny was adamant about wanting a simple ceremony in the arbored courtyard under the violet glow of dusk. She had immediately latched on to Harry’s sole suggestion that they release fireflies to dance about the patio. He had not mentioned the recent advent of the mysterious piano music and how it had invoked Remus’ recollections of the past. Harry smiled to see how she defended his one idea, arguing that live faerie lights had become such a wedding cliché and how Hagrid was sure to know where to obtain fireflies.

How were they going to cope with the likely advent of colder temperatures in November, maybe even snow, though? He left them discussing the various types of shield charms and warming spells that could be used as he focused his attention on the negotiations to his left.

Remus had readily sold both of the Thierrys on his radical idea of allowing Serenity to be his teaching assistant, even though that was a role usually reserved for N.E.W.T. level students. “I would have to do without, you see,” Remus explained. “The language program is so new that I won’t have any upper level classes for a few years yet. But I’m certain Serenity’s proficiency is up to the task of grading papers for the beginning students, don’t you think?”

Serenity was avidly nodding her head while Sera’s eyes twinkled in merriment at her side.

“But there are conditions,” Remus stressed. “I want you to take the first O.W.L. level French exam offered so you can progress into the more advanced classes. Can you promise me that? I hope to delve into literature and poetry in the original language.’

“Oui, Monsieur,” Serenity provided on cue.

“Wait, there’s more,” Remus warned with a raised finger. “I want you to sign up for either the basic Spanish or Italian classes currently being offered by Senorita Ramos and Signorina Olivetti. If you find you don’t care for either of those languages, you can change next year. We’ll be adding German as an option at that time.”

Serenity paused just as she was going to reply, her dark eyes darting towards her mother uncertainly. “But, Professor,” she petitioned, “won’t that require an extra class period?”

“Yes, it will, Serenity,” Remus allowed patiently. “You will have one more class than the other second years. More akin to a third year schedule, I believe. We can arrange your student assistant hours so they agree with both our timetables. At teatime, perhaps. Do you think that will be too much to handle?”

She shook her head vigorously as she broke out in a broad smile.

“Aren’t you going to a lot of extra trouble just to accommodate the special needs of one student?” Sera suggested.

“You mean like Dumbledore did for me when I was allowed to attend school despite the limitations I had suffered since the age of five?” Remus whispered with a lift to his eyebrow.

“Sorry, I never quite knew the details,” Sera responded, not needing Remus to spell it out for her.

“Actually, Serenity will be doing me a favor,” Remus elaborated diplomatically. “Unlike the other language teachers, I will have an assistant to help with much of the onerous duties. One who can accept assignments and discuss them with her instructor en français. N’est pas, madamoiselle?”

“Oui, Monsieur.”

Sera relented, “Well, if you put it in such terms, I don’t see how we can refuse, can we?”

As Dobby bewitched a pitcher of pumpkin juice to refill the children’s glasses, Harry hazarded a look towards the dinner plates being levitated towards the kitchen. True to form, Teddy and Phoebe had cleaned their plates in preparation for the special dessert. Not that Dobby hadn’t assisted them by preparing most of their favorite dishes. Still, Harry suspected the promise of chocolate soufflé might even induce those two to consume Brussels sprouts, although he had yet to test his theory.

By the time they dug into the chocolaty overload of the dessert, it was clear Serenity was excited over the prospectus Remus had outlined.

“Can I be part of the Round Robin?” she posed to Remus directly.

“We’ll see,” he responded with a sly tilt to his smile.

Noticing the exchange, Sera couldn’t help but ask, “What’s a Round Robin?”

Remus and Tonks both broke out laughing at the same time.

“Oh, I’ve heard about that…” Harry offered in a tantalizing manner.

“Only Remus could devise such a torturous diversion,” Ginny echoed.

“Pay no attention to their teasing,” Remus scoffed. “It’s just something Professors Olivetti, Ramos and I do to practice our language skills.”

“All at once,” Tonks interjected.

“So it’s efficient,” Remus clarified with a note of pride.

“I believe Minerva used the term ‘maddening’,” Tonks countered. “Although only in the nicest way.”

“All right, now you really have my curiosity piqued,” Sera prodded.

Indulgently, Remus explained how the three of them would carry on a conversation in three different languages at once, switching from one to another every time their turn came up. “No English allowed,” he stipulated.

“Don’t you get tongue-tied?” Sera laughed.

“Or brain-tied?” Ginny giggled.

“Or run out of things to talk about?” Serenity dared.

Harry caught Tonks eye as they both dissolved in laughter. It was clear they were both recalling when Severus Snape had attempted to insult Remus by suggesting that he could carry on a conversation with a lethargic thestral. To which Remus had shot back, “At least he wouldn’t mistake me for a long lost relative!”

Remus smiled in response as he challenged his student, “You’ll have to familiarize yourself with more than two languages to do it.”

It wasn’t long before Teddy’s and Phoebe’s eyes were drooping, although neither of them would ever acknowledge it willingly.

“Come, let’s get you two into your pajamas,” suggested Tonks as a subterfuge.

“But we never got to show Serenity our bedrooms,” Teddy protested weakly.

“You’re welcome to come along, then,” Tonks suggested to Serenity.

“Please, Zen,” Phoebe echoed as she held out her hand to the older girl.

The others were just polishing off the last of the dessert when Tonks and Serenity returned to the dining room.

“I think they were asleep before we managed to tuck them in.” Serenity giggled.

“And they were so determined to show you my Zen garden off the patio,” Tonks added with a note of regret.

“We were there earlier, Professor,” Serenity clarified. “I think they wanted you to see the clever drawings they left for you in the sand. Spook was convinced that faeries like to obliterate such things in the night.”

Tonks laughed merrily. “That’s just the explanation Remus gave Phoebe when the howling wind kept her awake one night. He said it was the faeries calling to one another as they reworked the landscape.”

“And sure enough, the tree limbs where limned with icy crystals the next morning,” Ginny claimed.

Dobby urged them up from the dinner table with his long fingered hands. “Enough with the lingering,” the elf pronounced boldly as he motioned towards the drawing room. “Dobby would much prefer to clear the table without the added obstacles of wriggling bodies in his midst.” Everyone giggled at the elf’s outspokenness.

“The elves at the Embassy are so staid,” Sera commented as she accepted the glass of port Remus handed her. “I think they might actually faint if I attempted to engage them in conversation.”

“Dobby’s unique, all right,” Tonks agreed. “He even helped me to win Remus’ favor when he was being particularly obstinate and hard-headed.”

“It was a complete mystery to me how she managed to deliver a gift to Dumbledore’s flat when the wards had been set by the mighty wizard himself,” Remus admitted with a wry laugh. “Caught me totally off guard.”

“So what happened?” Sera urged.

“You mean before or after he subjected the mysterious package to every hex detection known to wizardkind?” Harry quipped.

“Thank goodness he didn’t think to immerse it in water like Muggles defusing their bombs,” Ginny gasped.

“I would’ve ended up with a sodden mass of parchment for my troubles,” Remus allowed with a good-natured laugh. “You didn’t think to use water-proof ink, did you, cherub?”

“I’m not rightly certain,” Tonks allowed as she curled herself up next to Remus. “The simplest things required so many stringent protocols in those dark days that I don’t know how we didn’t get bogged down in day to day minutia.”

Serenity took the spot next to her mother and tugged her impatiently by the sleeve. “Did you notice what Phoebe called me? Zen. It’s my new nickname.”

“A three year old came up with that?”

“I’m sure it was Teddy,” Remus noted as Serenity nodded in response. “He’s the one whose mind thinks in those terms “ constantly.”

“But how did he”“

“From the garden, of course,” Tonks supplied.

Serenity elaborated, “He told me very solemnly that it was not a sand box. Said his mum told him its purpose was to promote peace and serenity. Then his eyes got all round when he made the obvious connection.”

“So now you’re Zen?” Sera noted with a small smile.

“I can’t wait to tell the other girls in Ravenclaw!” Serenity raved. “You don’t know how frustrated they were when I told them that ‘Sera’ was my mother’s name so they’d have to think of some other nickname. Two weeks later and no one has been able to come up with anything!”
Four: Rude Awakening by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Four
Rude Awakening



“Hello, is anyone home?”

Dobby bent over the grate, gazing at the wavering face in the green flames before recognition set in. “Oh, Mistress Hermione!” he yelped in alarm. “Dobby did not expect anyone to call today!”

“I understand, Dobby. Is Remus or Tonks about by any chance?” Hermione inquired, trying to keep her voice as calm as possible.

With a barely discernable pop the house-elf Disapparated, returning moments later with Remus in tow.

“What a pleasant surprise, Hermione,” Remus offered with a wide grin as he allowed Dobby to magically whisk the worst of the mud from his gardening boots. “How’s motherhood?”

“Just fine at the moment, but that’s not really why--”

“Harry and Ginny won’t be back from their honeymoon for another week,” Remus supplied.

“Yes, I know,” Hermione stammered, not sure where to begin. “I think that’s precisely why the story ran today. Without Ginny to edit it before it was broadcast on the wireless.”

Knowing that Hermione could not leave her infant to travel, Remus made an instant decision. “Dobby, please tell Tonks I’ve gone to Hermione’s briefly. She can contact me there when she returns with the children if she likes.”

Without waiting for a reply, Remus threw a generous handful of Floo Powder into the fireplace and announced, “The Ronald Weasley residence,” as he stepped resolutely into the leaping emerald flames.

A small furrow of worry creased Remus’ brow as he unfolded his limbs from the hearth in Hermione’s kitchen. He found her seated at the table surrounded by baby paraphernalia, the empty basinet at her feet as she cuddled her four-month old daughter on her shoulder.

“You don’t mind?” he posed, nodding toward the sink.

“Make yourself at home,” Hermione urged. “Forgive me, but doesn’t Dobby generally do the gardening?”

Remus looked up from working the soap bubbles underneath his fingernails. “I was preparing a surprise for Tonks. Getting some new flowerbeds ready in our private patio. Today seemed the perfect opportunity since she’s taken the children to her parents’.”

“Not too many days before the winter frost will make the dirt impossible to work,” Hermione concurred. “I’m afraid my flowerboxes will go unplanted this year.”

A smile broke through Remus concerned expression as he took the adjacent chair and laid a gentle hand on the baby’s back. “How’s young Eleanor today? Already surveying her new kingdom?”

“She has the entire household at her beck and call,” Hermione agreed, gazing up at him with obvious maternal pride. Pulling her thoughts to the matter at hand, she added, “Forgive me for interrupting your plans, but I couldn’t get away in person today.”

“Not at all,” Remus returned. “I take it you’re not just in need of a baby-sitter, though.”

“Did you not hear the latest story on the WWN?” Hermione urged. At Remus’ blank look, she flicked her wand in the direction of the wireless to start it with a sharp click.

The modulated tones of the announcer blared forth, “… eve of her retirement, long time Ministry employee, Dolores Umbridge, felt it was her duty to speak out. To unmask the half-truths and fabrications that have been force-fed to the wizarding public for the past decade. Allegations that will rock the very foundation of everything we hold to be true.”

“I just couldn’t stay quiet any longer,” Umbridge simpered in an ingratiating tone which immediately raised Remus’ hackles. “It’s unfair that we have been presented with a series of tall tales by those in power to legitimize their leadership. Have you stopped to think that we have only the words of those parties involved for what really happened? Where are the unbiased observers?” she posed rhetorically.

“Forgive me for not having thought to bring along the remainder of the Hogwarts student body when we confronted Voldemort’s forces in Godric’s Hollow,” Remus muttered angrily as he caught her import.

“I doubt that a series of senseless killings would have strengthened our case,” Hermione returned in an attempt to mollify. “Besides, she would just claim we had poisoned the minds of everyone at the school.”

“Surely she can’t be as vile as that!”

“Just you listen to the reports, Remus. She’s obviously been planning this for a long time. Long enough to come up with a way to twist everything.”

With the house unnaturally still around them, they listened in disgust as Umbridge presented her own contorted view of reality. Even events which had been witnessed by many fell victim to her diabolical revisions. While she could not deny the wizard’s battle which had culminated in the Ministry’s own atrium just as workers were arriving for their morning shift, who was to say that the other wizard was Voldemort?

“His face was certainly more grotesque than many remembered from years past. After all, there’s no denying the events of the previous wizarding war,” Dolores insisted.

Catching Hermione’s eye, Remus harrumphed, “Surely that lying toad wasn’t going to imply James and Lily killed themselves, was she?”

“Do you mean to suggest it was a staged performance?” the awed reporter’s voice issued from the wireless.

“Doesn’t the timing strike you as extremely fortuitous?” Umbridge returned, barely managing to sugarcoat her cunning tone. “Curtain time to coincide with the weekday morning rush hour.”

“But he was clearly a wizard,” the interviewer backpedaled.

“Of course, but he was also an accomplished actor,” Umbridge asserted shamelessly.

“I find it hard to believe that a wizard of Dumbledore’s standing would be complicit in such a charade.”

“Nor do I believe so, either,” Umbridge concurred with the sweetness of a viper. “He may not have realized he was facing a clever imposter. After all, doing away with Dumbledore was part of the overall plan, wasn’t it?”

There was an audible gasp from the reporter. “But that’s monstrous! Who…?”

“If I had that answer I would have come forward long ago, my dear,” Umbridge crooned.

“If she had that answer, she could have parlayed her distortions into a best selling political thriller,” Remus scoffed through narrowed eyes. What would the Dowager make of Dolores’ diatribe? Remus pondered. Dare he attempt to contact her via Sera and try to make amends?

Their attention was riveted on the wireless once more as Umbridge continued in saccharine tones, “Did anyone else even see Dumbledore’s alleged murder atop the spires of Hogwarts?”

“We have the testimony of Harry Pot--” the reporter began only to be cut across.

“Why he’s their chief charlatan, dear. Don’t you see?” Umbridge elaborated as if she were instructing a small, recalcitrant child. “No one even saw him atop the Tower, just an extra broomstick he claims to have used. The other poor lad, Draco Malfoy, is dead; the Carrows imprisoned in Azkaban for war crimes, and as for Severus Snape… Well, that man is a walking antidote to Veritaserum itself!”

Hermione turned questioning eyes towards the unwitting bark of laughter that escaped from Remus. “Forgive me, Hermione,” he begged, “but Severus would take her words as a glowing testimonial to his Occlumency skills.”

“True,” Hermione allowed as a smile tugged at the corner of her lips. “If only we could count on the rest of the world laughing in the face of such malarkey!”

But the commentator’s closing statement belied Hermione’s optimism. “The question we must ask ourselves is this: does Dolores Umbridge’s retirement from the Ministry mark the end of an era that never was?”

“Has the Daily Prophet picked up the story?” Remus prompted as grim scenarios replayed themselves in his mind.

“Not today, but I expect to see it tomorrow.”

“What does Ron have to say?” Remus inquired as he recalled that Ron’s temper often ran as hot as his fiery red hair.

“He left early this morning before the story broke. Time to do the quarterly inventory at the Joke Shops and he does have such a good time helping Fred and George. Brings out the schoolboy who refuses to grow up in all of them, I suppose. Ron does entirely too much paper shuffling at the Magical Games Department during the week, to hear him tell it. I assured him Eleanor and I would be all right for a few hours.”

“What’s the word from the Department for Regulation and Control?”

“I don’t know,” Hermione cried. “I’ve been on maternity leave and no one mentioned anything when they came to see the baby.”

“I suspect that has a lot to do with the timing also,” Remus responded through pursed lips. “Contact them on Monday to see what their position is.”

“I’m not scheduled to return for another fortnight,” Hermione bemoaned. “But perhaps I should rethink that. Eleanor would be fine with Molly during the day; she adjusted to a regular timetable almost immediately --”

“Don’t overturn your life just yet,” Remus counseled. “It’s just the word of one overzealous fanatic at the moment. Surely the media must see there’s nothing to substantiate her allegations.”

“I think Ginny would have stopped the story from airing without any hard evidence,” Hermione pointed out thoughtfully.

“Which explains their timing,” Remus concurred.

But the stories which ran in the Sunday edition of the Prophet were even more sensationalized with direct quotes from Cornelius Fudge himself. Looking more humble than ever, he appeared in the moving photos worrying his signature bowler hat in his hands as he spoke of the small group of concerned citizens who had arrived on his doorstep one afternoon.

“I told them I was quite through with public office. Had my fill of it, to tell you the truth,” Fudge maintained in print while his eyes shone with ambition in the photos. “Mistakes were made by the previous administration and I was willing to step down. The people are entitled to have a leader they feel they can trust…”

He’d left his words hanging in a most unsettling way, Remus decided. Fudge wasn’t ready to substantiate the lies spewed by that Umbridge cow “ not yet anyway. But he clearly didn’t repudiate the stories as rubbish, either. Dumbledore had been so right to claim that man’s ego outshone his intelligence and reason every time.

Fudge spoke on the wireless not long after the newspaper story, the interviewer posing the questions which had smoldered in Remus’ mind since he’d read the Prophet’s article over breakfast that morning.

“Do you think you were deposed so others could impose their more drastic plans?”

“Now I’ve never been one for conspiracy theories,” Fudge equivocated. “But the current administration did rise to power on the basis of the threat which was hanging over the wizarding world.”

“A threat they may have manufactured for that very reason,” the gullible reporter finished for him.

Remus barely restrained himself from chunking a shoe at the wireless to silence Fudge’s whiney voice as the former Minister continued, “Obviously, Ms. Umbridge’s allegations are very serious indeed and will bear thorough investi--”

Luckily, Tonks read Remus’ glower correctly and simply turned it off with a quick wand motion.

“It does no good to get upset, sweetheart,” she reminded him. “Fudge has always been as malleable as his name implies.”

“And that…witch…has vitriol in her soul,” Remus sputtered. “She was clearly collaborating with the Death Eaters during the war.”

“The war she claims was a fabrication. Unfortunately, the most damning bit of evidence was contained in the Horcrux which Harry, Ron and Hermione destroyed.”

“Surely, there’s got to be something else among all the Ministry documents!”

“Nothing that’s come to light, but the gaping holes speak for themselves, don’t they? Her over-zealousness got her shuffled enough among Departments to make her job performance questionable, but I don’t think we can actually prove our case against her anymore than she can prove hers. Don’t you think the Auror Department would have brought her to trial for war crimes just as they did others? The Wizengamot is not as easily swayed as it used to be, you know. Give Scrimgeour credit for that, at least.”

“But if the corruption goes as far as Scrimgeour himself “ which is what that harridan is suggesting “ then everything is suspect.”

“It’s all lies, Remus. Sour grapes from someone whose own career has hit a brick wall.”

“I know that, and you know that, and everyone else who was involved directly in the war effort knows that; but that still leaves a tremendous chunk of the wizarding world out there which may fall for her lies.”

“Without any evidence?” Tonks decried. “That’s insane!”

“That’s a crowd mentality, unfortunately,” Remus asserted grimly. “They’ll believe in the most heinous things simply because they’re afraid deep down that they might just turn out to be true. A leap of bad faith, as it were.”

“It’s nothing more than a bit of whinging on a slow news day,” Tonks affirmed with a determined set to her jaw. “It will all be a bad memory when something else catches the public’s fancy.”

Despite Tonks’ protestations, the story was still slowly simmering when Harry and Ginny returned from their honeymoon.

“She wasn’t scheduled to retire until early spring,” Ginny protested. “It was already penciled in on the station’s calendar.”

“Apparently, she moved it up,” Remus pronounced unnecessarily.

“It would have been too much of a temptation to not take advantage of both Hermione and Ginny being out of the picture temporarily,” Tonks concurred.

“But no one outside of our circle knew about the wedding,” Harry cried. “Did we end up with some gate-crashers after all?”

“No, nothing as clever as that,” Remus assured him.

Luna’s idea of casting a Fidelius Charm with Remus and Tonks as Secret-Keepers had allowed them to control just who received the hand-lettered wedding invitations. Hagrid double-checked Patronuses at the gate to make sure no one had passed their invitations on to a Polyjuiced poseur, as Ginny put it. Any gate-crashers would not have known the date of the event nor been able to even see the lanes leading to the grounds.

“You did have an announcement run in the Prophet a few weeks after, though,” Tonks pointed out.

“Mum insisted,” Ginny supplied. “Besides, it was a done deal by then. They weren’t likely to try to track us down on our honeymoon.”

“If they could have ever come up with the location,” Harry added with a sly wink.

“I was hoping you could ease yourselves into married life without such a cloud hanging over your heads,” Remus volunteered.

“Reality always makes other plans,” Harry noted stoically. “Besides this cloud hangs over all of us: every member of the Order as well as much of Scrimgeour’s administration.”

“It’s not that I haven’t thought Scrimgeour is somewhat mired in the past,” Tonks acknowledged. “But he doesn’t deserve to be tarred with Umbridge’s trumped up story, either.”

“She’s depicted him as a total lunatic, completely mental,” Ginny complained. “Wouldn’t the rest of us have had to be barking to go along with that?”

“Not when you take account how the Death Eaters allowed themselves to be swayed by Voldemort’s senseless rhetoric,” Harry remarked. “Let’s not forget she was one of them.”

“Too bad she didn’t have the Dark Mark tattooed on her inner arm like the rest of them,” Ginny commented. “Would have made identifying her that much easier.”

“True, but Voldemort would have been a total imbecile to mark his moles so blatantly,” Remus opined. “I’ve seen numerous photos of her in short-sleeved frocks at the height of summer.”

“I bet she had a mark where no one thought to look,” Ginny supplied with a sharp slap to her right flank. “Is probably sitting on it even as we speak.”

“No one would want to look there!” Harry exclaimed with look of revulsion.

“So much the better,” Ginny asserted.

“And Aurors can’t go around strip-searching suspects, not without hard evidence,” Tonks explained. “We never found enough to officially add her to their list of suspects even though it was common knowledge she was Voldemort’s stooge.”

“Or was she?” Remus considered much to everyone’s shock. “She’s beginning to come across as more of a political opportunist, if you ask me.”

“I’m not sure I follow,” Harry prompted as he drew up a chair. No one was as good at dissecting a problem as Remus; that’s why he had been unanimously selected to head up the Order after Dumbledore’s untimely demise.

“First she manages to keep her job after Fudge is forced to resign,” Remus began.

“So did Percy,” Ginny reminded him. “He went from being Fudge’s personal assistant to attending to Scrimgeour’s needs.”

“Kingsley had a lot to do with singing Percy’s praises,” Tonks volunteered. “Don’t forget he had an ulterior motive, too.”

“And no one was about to rave about Umbridge,” Remus took up the threads once more. “Fudge is deposed, Voldemort’s coup unmasked, and Dolores gets shuffled a bit from one job to another “ but she retains her posting with the Ministry.”

“You think she’s gunning to bring someone else down, don’t you?” Harry surmised.

“And aggrandizing herself in the process,” Remus maintained.

“Who’s the target?” Tonks urged, not sure that she was ready for Remus’ answer.

“Either Scrimgeour or Kingsley would be my guess,” he supplied to horrified gasps.

“But Kingsley’s a hero!” Ginny protested.

“Not according to Umbridge,” Harry announced. “It’s all a figment of his overactive imagination.”

“And Scrimgeour legitimized the fabricated tale of Voldemort’s defeat by awarding everyone present at the final battle with Orders of Merlin,” Tonks provided.






Despite the message he’d received to retrieve his children early today, the scene that greeted Remus at Shell Cottage was nothing out of the ordinary. Fleur welcomed him with kisses to both cheeks, a custom that had long since stopped making him feel self-conscious. The glow of the setting sun painted the interior of the large playroom in shades of bronze and coral as he took in his surroundings.

“Will Harry be home?” Phoebe’s cobalt eyes searched her father’s face as she climbed into his arms in greeting.

“Yes, Rabbit. He and Ginny returned from their honeymoon two days ago. You do remember what a honeymoon is?”

Phoebe nodded her blonde head and mumbled, “Wedding trip,” more to convince herself than for her father’s benefit.

Fleur caught Remus’ eye over the child’s shoulder. “I theenk zey ‘ave both been missing ‘arry very much,” she offered with a knowing look.

“That’s to be expected; he’s been a fixture in their lives,” Remus allowed. “Did anything unusual happen today?”

Fleur shrugged dismissively in a typically Gallic fashion. “Teddy and Victoire got eento an ‘eated argument. Zey ‘ad to seet een opposite corners of ze salon to cool down while zey drank zair juice.”

“Nothing serious, I trust?” Remus posed with concern as Phoebe played happily with the ends of his tie.

“ ‘Tis ze stuff of children, nothing more,” Fleur maintained as she waved towards the two combatants who were hunched companionably over a large book with pictures of swiftly moving animals. “Can I eenterest you een some tea, Remus? A chat wiz an adult would be quite nice.”

“Tired of English?” Remus posed sympathetically.

“Not so much. Just a child’s vocabulary.”

“Ah,” Remus commiserated as he switched into French himself. “It’s been much the same for me. Small words for those who are still finding their land legs on your native shore.”

Fleur laughed easily, a musical sound that made Phoebe smile in unison. “Always so poetic. Are you perhaps thinking to convince them to expand your teaching duties?”

“Promise me you won’t breathe a word of it to Minerva. She’s a veritable gorgon when it comes to delegating. I barely escaped with my skin intact today!”

“Then perhaps a bit of cognac? Bill tells me he still prefers the harshness of Firewhiskey.” She shuddered at the very thought.

Drawing his battered pocket watch from his trousers, Remus made a quick note of the hour. “Just a small one then. I don’t want the children to miss seeing Harry and Ginny this evening. The newlyweds are dining with Molly and Arthur at the Burrow tonight.” He stretched his long limbs languidly on the chintz sofa as Phoebe scampered down to rejoin the other children.

“Of course,” Fleur chattered amicably. “Bill and I are supposed to join them “ if he doesn’t get back too late from the bank. He’s prone to lose track of the time since they assigned him this special project.”

“Wasn’t it a promotion of sorts?”

“Yes, which is why I don’t feel I should pester him by Floo.”

“What are you drinking?” Teddy tugged on Remus’ sleeve insistently.

“It’s about time you noticed your wayward father,” Remus intoned with mock severity. “Have you outgrown hugs already?”

Nonplussed, Teddy climbed onto the seat cushion to throw his arms eagerly around his father’s shoulders. In the process, he brought his nose to the rim of the snifter Remus cradled in his palm. One exploratory whiff was enough for him to recoil in disgust.

“Smells like battery acid!” Teddy remarked with a grimace as the adults broke into laughter.

“And just how much do you know about such Muggle trappings?” Remus challenged.

“Grandpère Arthur took me out to his shed and showed me the metal dragon that eats grass. He says it only drinks battery acid and petrol.”

“ ‘e didn’t actually start ze zing, did ‘e?” Fleur asked with some alarm.

“Naw,” Teddy maintained with his customary stoic expression. “He said this dragon was very old and needed its rest.”

“I theenk Arthur will recruit young Teddy in ‘is own mania before you can teech ‘im to ‘ave a deescriminating palate, no?” Fleur confided to Remus as they said their goodbyes.






Once home, the children insisted Harry keep them company at the table while they consumed an early supper. Ginny finished dressing in time to join them for pudding and they regaled her with requests for more tales of her recent travels with Harry.

“Let’s just wait until we get the photos back,” she insisted. “You two will wear me out before I have to tell the same stories all over again to my other family tonight!”

It was only after Harry and Ginny had extricated themselves to Floo to the Burrow that Remus was able to steal a few minutes alone with Teddy. He waited patiently while Phoebe said her goodnights and Tonks led her into the other wing.

Remus patted the cushion beside him on the long leather sofa facing the great stone hearth. Teddy didn’t need to be told twice as he curled up in the protective curve of his father’s arm.

“Did you and Victoire argue today?” Remus posed conversationally. “Be honest with me, Teddy.”

Looking up at him with great solemn eyes, Teddy replied, “It wasn’t a fight, Dad. It’s what you always call an intell…an intelligent discussion, that’s it!”

“You mean an intellectual debate?” Remus barely managed to conceal his smile.

“That’s it!”

“So you had a difference of opinion. What about?”

“Me…us…our name.”

“I’m not sure I understand,” Remus admitted.

“You know how Victoire hates to lose an argument…” Teddy began.

Remus suspected Victoire’s mother was much the same, but wisely kept that to himself.

“…and she always knows everything about everything,” Teddy finished with the voice of authority.

“A veritable encyclopedia of chatter, she is.”

Teddy giggled at his father’s wry description. “Yeah, but I have enough sense not to say so to her face.”

“Wise boy,” Remus acknowledged with a smirk. ”So what was the point of your bickering? Besides to get to the truth of the matter as in all manner of learned debate.”

“She was convinced that Lupin is a French name.”

“It is. My father’s family came from Rouen, but that was many generations ago. And your grandmother’s family has roots in Ireland as well.”

“So Victorie tells me that’s why Phoebe likes rabbits so much.”

Uncertain where the conversation was heading, Remus supplied, “Lots of little girls like bunny rabbits. They’re soft and cuddly -- and don’t snarl at her. Surely you recall from when we went to the zoo.”

“Victoire says it’s because of our name,” Teddy insisted. “Lapin is rabbit in French.”

Remus did his best to keep his voice as neutral as possible. “Yes, it is. But Victoire’s been playing her rhyming game again. Lupin is a totally different word.” Dear Merlin, how was he ever going to explain the irony of the name to a five-year-old boy? Perhaps that was a subject for a later discussion, he decided inwardly.

“I told her that, “Teddy insisted. “Said we were named for flowers. Just like her mother was.”

“I take it that didn’t satisfy Victoire.”

“She wanted me to show her one in her Grandma Molly’s garden.”

“Molly only plants vegetables,” Remus volunteered.

“I told her that, too. Which didn’t seem to make her very happy at all. She argued that we’d just have to ask Ginny since she was the one who always coaxed the pretty flowers to grow on the fence.”

“The trellises, yes. But there’s mostly wild rose vines at the Burrow. You won’t find any lupines there. Lupines are meadow flowers, spreading as far as the eye can see during the spring. It’s also the wrong time of year, Spook.”

“Oh.” Teddy’s face fell at his fatal error. “I didn’t think of that. What month was it when we went to France?”

Remus took a moment to consider. “It was over the Easter hols; sometime in April, I would say. You remember that? You were only three at the time!”

“I remember the steep meadow behind the old church,” Teddy supplied. “And how Rabbit was trying so hard to crawl up on her hands and knees and not getting anywhere.”

Remus had no difficulty picturing the scene. Teddy had run off among the overgrown grounds of the ancient cathedral while Tonks was intent on finding at least one weathered tombstone engraved with the Lupin name -- although neither of them had any idea of the proper century. Phoebe had been unusually fussy all day, no longer content to ride in her mum’s rucksack-style baby carrier. Not that she much preferred the view from the higher angle of her father’s arms, either. Phoebe was determined to run after her brother as her outstretched arms seemed to indicate, although she was still a few months away from walking unaided.

“Look, cherub, let’s just give it up for the day,” Remus capitulated.

“Don’t you want to know for sure?” Tonks protested. “We can’t very well ask if anyone remembers the Lupins; it’s been too many generations. Besides, it’s not such a strain bending over the stones without having to balance a squirming infant on my back.”

He was about to mention the siren song of their hotel’s shady terrace and a tall glass of pastis when he heard Teddy’s joyful whoop of laughter coming from much too far away. They both set off at a trot towards the wild meadow sloping down to the church cemetery.

It didn’t take them long to spy Teddy. Standing atop a large granite boulder at the top of the hill, he brandished a discarded stick as a king waves his scepter over the vast expanse of his demesne. Remus hesitated at the base of the hill. It was a lot steeper than it had looked from a distance, shot through with tumbled rocks among the riotous display of wildflowers.

“There’ll be no coaxing him down, you know,” Tonks warned. “Let me know if you get tired and I’ll carry Phoebe the rest of the way.”

So with a resigned sigh, Remus had stepped onto the canvas of an Impressionist painting, the late afternoon sun transforming the knee-high grasses into tendrils of pure gold. As the slanting light revealed the tiniest threads of their interior structure, the vibrant red, pink and purple flowers seemed to be constructed of nothing more than tissue paper. Phoebe reached out with her chubby fingers to grab some of the passing jewels only to find she could not reach. Noting that her efforts might cause Remus to lose his balance, Tonks handed her daughter a small bouquet of tapered blossoms in lemon yellow, lavender, and bright fuchsia.

“Do you remember the flowers that Phoebe tickled your face with that day?” Remus posed to the young lad at his side. “When you stood with the world at your feet?”

Teddy turned serious eyes to his father’s laughing ones. “They were long and thin, like a paintbrush covered in tiny flowers.”

Remus smiled at the memory, surprised that Teddy remembered the events of that day so clearly. “Those were lupine blossoms. The shape is like that of an animal’s tail, a wolf’s tail to be exact. Lupin also means wolf-like.”

“So we’re named for animals just like the Weasleys.”

Sagging with relief inside, Remus confirmed, “Yes, like the Weasleys. Fox and Byrd are other common surnames. And in France, chevalier is a noble horseman just as it’s used as a family name today.”

“But why wolf?” Teddy pressed.

“I’m not sure I follow,” Remus remarked in order to give himself time to think.

“Why wolf? If cheval…”

“Chevalier.”

“Right. Those people were involved with horses in olden times, right?”

“Probably either as horse breeders or perhaps even members of the royal guard. It’s impossible to say. The names are often ancient in origin.”

“Dad, what did our family have to do with wolves? Didn’t you tell us that the hungry man-eating wolves in fairy tales didn’t exist anymore?”

“Yes, they were wiped out by farmers protecting their livestock throughout Europe.”

“Then we’re named for something that doesn’t exist anymore?” Teddy’s curiosity seemed to know no bounds.

“Certainly in that incarnation.” Remus fought the sensation that he was quickly drowning.

“But…” Teddy urged with that unerring sixth sense of children everywhere.

With a deep breath, Remus stammered, “Teddy, you know that your father… that I suffer from a disease, something I contracted when I was not much older than you are now… something for which there is no cure.”

Much to Remus’ relief, Teddy shrugged as if it were the most common pronouncement. “Sure, that’s why Mum’s always giving you that foul-smelling potion. She explained that to me once when I asked her why she was punishing you.”

Remus laughed awkwardly despite the trepidation hammering in his chest. “Well, it’s not exactly the sort of illness that’s contagious so you don’t have to worry about being in the same room with me or anything.”

“I would never think that, Dad. Is that what makes you so sad sometimes? Do other people say ugly things to you?”

Surprised at his son’s intuitiveness, Remus could only reply, “Those who are ignorant do.”

Teddy nodded his head in commiseration. “Mum said there would be those who thought less of me because I could change my hair color and they couldn’t. Envy, she called it.”

“People often fear what they do not understand. Those who are different from them, for instance.”

“I still don’t get what this has to do with wolves!” Teddy persisted.

Recognizing that his son’s relentlessness was but an echo of his own, Remus explained, “If I were not taking my medication, the disease would cause me to turn into a wolf on the night of the full moon.”

“But you turn into a giant turtle and Harry into a zebra when we play games.”

“That’s something we learned to do at will. The disease is different; it changes you whether you resist it or not. And afterwards all you remember is the pain of your bones and muscles stretching as you transform, but you have no memory of what transpired during the hours in which you were in an altered state.” Despite his best efforts, Remus’ voice nearly gave out before he reached the end. “That’s what’s most frightening of all, Teddy; you can’t remember what you’ve done!”

“But the medication helps?”

“Yes, it does,” Remus admitted with a shaky smile. “It allows me to lead a more normal life. But not everyone who suffers from this disease is lucky enough to have access to medication. They have to go to designated cells when the moon is full so they are kept safe from one another.”

There was only concern in Teddy’s expression as he asked, “These poor people are caged up like animals?”

Not being able to deny his son the truth, Remus replied through ashen lips, “Some of them are forced into this because the government controls the source of the medication and it can be very expensive.”

“Can’t they have someone brew it for them like Mum does?”

“Not everyone has your mother’s skill. The Potions Master at Hogwarts recently perfected a much more effective variation to the basic formula. It’s not yet available to the general public.”

“Does Victoire know all this?”

Remus hesitated, suddenly lost as to how to proceed. “I’m not sure,” he conceded. “I know her mother does. But it’s a little too personal to discuss with anyone outside of our immediate family, don’t you think?”

Teddy nodded gravely.

“Even your little sister,” Remus cautioned. “Any questions you have should be directed to me or to your mother. No exceptions.”

“Do we know anyone else who suffers from the wolf sickness?”

Had he asked so many questions of his parents when he’d been a child? Remus considered inwardly. With a sigh to acknowledge that he had likely been even worse, he responded, “Yes, but I will tell you only if you promise not to breathe a word to anyone.” He waited for Teddy to nod his head. “Serenity’s mum also suffers from this disease.”

“Does Serenity know?”

“I’m sure she’s old enough for her mother to have confided in her. But, Spook, that doesn’t mean she’s willing to discuss this with you. It’s still a very personal issue.”

“I’ll remember, Dad,” he promised with a tight hug that had Remus trying to swallow the lump in his throat.

As bedtime beckoned, Teddy turned towards Remus at the entrance to his room. “Is that why Mum’s Patronus is shaped like a wolf, too?”

“She told you about that?”

“Yes, but it’s a secret, too.” Teddy flashed him a conspiratorial smile. “I just didn’t think it was a secret between you and me.”

“It isn’t, son. I don’t ever want you to think you have to hide things from your mum and me.”

“What about Harry?”

“Not Harry, either. But I don’t think he’ll be comfortable discussing these matters with you, not until you’re older anyway.”

“I promise I won’t put Harry on the spot then.”

“As for your mother’s Patronus, it was one of the things that convinced me she was ready to become a member of this family.”

“Is that why you married her?” Teddy asked as he struggled with his pajama top.

Remus straightened the hem as he pulled the fabric down over his son’s ribcage. With a small smile of contentment, he added, “That and the fact that I loved her very much.”



.
Five: The War Museum by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Five
The War Museum



The sign over the door to number twelve, Grimmauld Place read simply: “War Museum”. Next to the doorknob, a small plague announced that it had been donated by Harry James Potter and the Estate of Sirius Black.

Not that any of that was visible to passersby. Despite all the debates which had raged recently about the abolishment of the Statute of Secrecy, the Ministry was not certain the Muggle world was ready to embrace the wizards who had been living amongst them. Better that wizards set their sights on correcting the injustices within their own society before inviting more trouble was the prevailing argument. A viewpoint which was often fostered by those who protested any changes to make the wizarding community more equitable for all magical creatures.

So the museum curators had been designated as the Secret-Keepers of the Fidelius Charm protecting the former headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix from public view. Admittance was only by way of tickets distributed by the Ministry or through one of the wizarding travel agencies which had sprung up throughout Britain and other countries in the wake of Voldemort’s defeat. Each ticket had to be hand-lettered with the address by one of the curators to allow the premises to be seen by visitors. They soon learned to issue only one ticket to large groups to enable one of the curators to be at the gate at the appointed hour. It was the surest way to guarantee that those at the back of the queue would not be left gaping on the sidewalk as the rest of their party disappeared before their eyes.

It was a job that Arabella Figg had taken to from the start. She had been lucky enough to secure a small house adjoining the narrow backyard of number twelve so her cats could lounge in comfort. She had merely to walk the twenty paces from her backdoor, turn the key in a gate which no one else could see, and she was at work. She had always enjoyed meeting new people and this job was ideally suited to that.

Unlike Mrs. Figg who was in charge of admissions and tours, the second curator handled the exhibits themselves, a truly demanding task in the case of a civil war which had been fought covertly. Just how much should be revealed about the heroes who wanted nothing more than to return anonymously to their ordinary lives? Yet some sort of memorial was necessary. To not acknowledge what had been accomplished by the small band of freedom fighters would just make it easier for another despot to take power. That was perhaps the only thing which had everyone in agreement

It was a constant tightrope to be walked, though, often allowing the people who were being honored to be the final arbiters of a given display. The constant diplomacy and tact required made it an ideal post for the unique talents of Luna Lovegood. Although she often worked long hours when the museum was closed to the public, she reveled in the flexibility of her schedule. Her boyfriend’s employer required him to travel abroad on a regular basis, but Luna could always adjust her work hours to spend the maximum time with him when he returned to British soil.

Luna displayed an instinctive knack for the delicacy required. Take the section devoted to those who had served as wartime spies. There were no traitors, just double agents; pitting the likes of Peter Pettigrew with those of Severus Snape. Moles who had infiltrated unfriendly territory included Percy Weasley and Dolores Umbridge.

It had been more difficult to ignore the pleas of anonymity from those members of the Order of the Phoenix who had been awarded Orders of Merlin by the Minister himself. After the unavoidable public ceremony that pinning the medals entailed, many just wished to return to the course of their private lives. Harry himself had dwelled far too long in the spotlight and just wanted to be left alone.

Between his natural modesty and the uncertain status of werewolves, Remus had begged to remain in the background as much as possible. Honoring his concerns as valid, Luna’s display had simply mentioned that although he had not been present at the final confrontation with Voldemort, Remus had been instrumental in luring one of the enemy’s chief lieutenants to an undisclosed site, allowing the others to attack unimpeded. After mentioning how his unsurpassed foreign language skills had aided with the translation of classified communications, the verbiage concluded with the words that Mr. Lupin continued to pursue a career in education. Much to the relief of the Ministry, no mention was made of the werewolf encampments and the role Remus had played with that. Not that Luna’s objective had been to placate the Ministry; her primary goal was to honor Remus’ request that he be treated just like everyone else.

“I know it’s perplexing to anyone who has not walked a mile in my boots, but the fact that I’m a werewolf is irrelevant,” Remus had confided to her. “It does not make me more heroic in the eyes of others who will stop to consider what obstacles I’ve had to overcome. Quite the contrary. It will lead them to conclude that the Order was directed by a chained monster in the shadow of Dumbledore’s demise.”

“No one who knows you would think that, Remus,” Luna mollified, her slightly protuberant eyes conveying the sensation that she saw things so much more clearly than most.

Instinctively, the diplomat in him sought the common ground. “Let’s not forget the museum will be visited by hordes of strangers, then.”

Ever mindful that she was dealing with real, living people and not artifacts, Luna had agreed that to list Remus as a werewolf was tantamount to providing overly personal details.

It was a history not unlike uncovering the layers of an onion, each display often giving rise to another to flesh out all the pertinent details. With a critical eye, she reviewed the wording of her newest exhibit and decided it should rightly be situated near the entrance. Even though such arrangement was not strictly chronological, sometimes it was best to organize things in a way that simply made them easier to understand.

The Heir and the Spare


It had all begun with a prophecy: stark in its pronouncement, much more complicated in its interpretation. One child born at the end of July 1980 had the power to destroy the Dark Lord. Born of parents who had outwitted the Dark Lord three times.

But as the appointed date drew near, there were two such families who fit the bill. The Longbottoms, Frank and Alice, a pair of established Aurors with the Ministry of Magic and the Potters, James and Lily, married just out of school and still struggling to establish their place in a world quickly being swallowed up by war. Both couples were active members of the Order of the Phoenix, the underground group which stood steadfastly against Voldemort’s rise to power.

As the month of July drew to a close, Alice Longbottom gave birth to a son, Neville, at approximately 11:30 p.m. on the night of 30 July. Having gone into labor at almost the same moment, Lily Potter gave birth to a son, Harry, in the early morning hours of 31 July. Two sons, both born as the month of July died, their births separated by only a matter of hours.

Not being one to leave any loose strings, Voldemort was determined to eradicate the threat before it grew to manhood. For reasons that have never been made clear, he sent one of his inner circle to locate the Longbottoms and torture them repeatedly with the Cruciatus Curse while not touching a hair on young Neville’s head. The Potters, he killed personally on the night of 31 October as a full moon guided Muggle Halloween revelers in the nearby village of Godric’s Hollow. He would have killed one-year-old Harry, too, had the green light of his Killing Curse not rebounded from the boy's forehead and hit his attacker squarely in the chest instead. Harry was left bereft and abandoned, crying inconsolably for parents who could no longer come to his aid, branded with a lightning bolt scar on his forehead.

Thus Voldemort fulfilled the portion of the prophecy which stated that he would mark his nemesis as his equal, many argued as the eyes of the wizarding world hailed Harry Potter as their hero. The other boy, Neville Longbottom, could no longer pose a threat to Voldemort, others -- including the venerable Albus Dumbledore “ maintained, as only Harry had been marked.

Not to be swayed by so simplistic an interpretation, Neville weighed in after hearing of the prophecy from Harry himself. He believed that his weekly visits to catatonic parents in the Incurable Patients Ward had scarred him just as deeply on the inside.

Although he did not hold much stock in prophesy himself, Harry was not one to leave anything to chance, either. With that in mind, the final confrontation with Voldemort was executed in tandem by the two seventeen-year-old wizards, each distracting the mighty Dark Lord in turn so the other could attack with impunity.


Luna straightened the edge of the frame one last time before she was satisfied with her morning’s work.

Now all she needed to finish was the display on the moles and double agents. Well, one in particular, if she was perfectly honest with herself. After all, the section on Peter Pettigrew had been easy; he was hardly in a position to object to being portrayed in an unfavorable light. Percy Weasley had been a cinch; his tale of misunderstanding among his family members would strike a cord with everyone who felt friction at home. She’d even managed to inject a note of humor when Percy recounted how difficult it had been to maintain his cover in the midst of a Christmas Day food fight.

The paragraphs on Severus Snape had been more troublesome as she wanted to encapsulate the crisis of conscience which had led him to change paths without betraying too many facts of an overly personal nature. It had proven to be a daunting task; Snape had sacrificed too many things in his life in order to correct his wrongs. To totally omit those was to ignore the profound selflessness which had led the Minister to eventually present the man with an Order of Merlin, third class.

For a man with such a naturally caustic nature, Snape had shown great perseverance in convincing the Order of his true loyalty “ even though he’d resorted to approaching many of them one by one. In retrospect, Luna had concluded that without the full weight of the Order behind him, things might not have turned out so well for the Half-Blood Prince. He had played his duplicitous roles too perfectly and the evidence against him would have been too overwhelming for the war tribunals to dismiss. It was only the eloquence of those who spoke before the Wizengamot on his behalf, coupled with the fervent written testimonials of others who did not feel up to the task of personally addressing such an august assemblage, which had turned the tide in his favor. As Scrimgeour himself had noted for the press, “These were hardly the words of a legal counsel who had made a career of swaying juries in his clients’ favor.”

In the end, Snape himself had come to Luna’s aid and distilled his exploits into the bare bones version she had ultimately used.

“Please don’t think me ungrateful,” Snape himself had commented after reading her preliminary drafts, “but your words are so much more than a scoundrel like me deserves.”

When Luna had made to protest, he reminded her that his fledgling potions business would not be enhanced by her attempts to paint him as a romantic hero. “Political controversy and business seldom mix,” he intoned succinctly. He much preferred to be depicted as an ordinary man who had been pulled into events he could not ignore.

Then there was his position as the newly reinstated Potions Master in the wake of Horace Slughorn’s second (and final) retirement. “I would be inundated with personal questions from day one,” Snape pointed out. “Despite the temptation, I can’t put everyone in detention without my wife complaining that I never come home in the evenings.”

A slightly rakish lift to his otherwise somber eyebrow left Luna thinking that Voldemort’s defeat had been a liberating moment for Snape as well.







A number of hours later, Mrs. Figg found Luna at her worktable in the attic. Despite the pitched ceiling and tall windows which gave the former children’s nursery an airy, uncluttered feeling, it was clear Luna was not finding much inspiration today. Balls of wadded up parchment littered the table as well as the area surrounding the wire dustbin.

“Sorry about the mess,” Luna noted sheepishly as her wand sent the debris to resettle within the dustbin before Mrs. Figg was tempted to bend over to tidy up herself. “Umbridge is proving just as uncooperative as ever.”

“You’re determined not to just gloss over the facts, aren’t you?” Mrs. Figg ventured as she urged Luna to help herself to some sandwiches from the luncheon tray.

“I want to present as unbiased an exhibit as possible,” Luna maintained, the idealism which had led her into the fight against Voldemort still shining in her pale blue eyes.

“Bearing in mind that history is written by the victors…”

Picking up the threads of a familiar topic, Luna added, “I just don’t want to be accused of rewriting it.”

“But, my dear, isn’t that precisely what that Umbridge woman has already done in her recent interviews?”

“Worse than that, she’s accused us of a complete fabrication.”

“Seems rather unfair, don’t you think?” Mrs. Figg noted with dry sarcasm. “She hasn’t even seen a single one of our exhibits.”

Luna laughed despite the seriousness of the situation. “Oh, Figgy,” she cried, “I don’t know how you always manage to ease my frustrations, but somehow you do.”

“Well, my dear, it’s like my mother always used to say: you can rail at the stupidity around you or you can laugh in its face!” She watched Luna noticeably relax as the young woman took a large bite of ham sandwich followed by a long swig of iced Butterbeer. “Why don’t you show me what you’ve got?”

“Nothing really,” Luna admitted. “Just the copies of her Educational Decrees from Hogwarts. Her complicity with Voldemort’s camp has never been documented.”

“Which is why she escaped punishment. Neither of us doubts the evidence Harry unearthed among the Horcruxes he had to destroy.”

“So how do I approach this?” Luna posed. “Bearing in mind that I can’t lead with the most damning evidence of all and she’s sure to raise a hue and cry if she considers any of my words libelous, even though it might be the truth.”

Mrs. Figg took a moment to consider before suggesting, “The worst thing we can do is to omit her from the exhibit. It will be more difficult for her to repudiate the entire war effort as blatant lies if we can establish that she was a participant.”

“Agreed.”

“So let’s begin with those actions which were reported in the Daily Prophet. Start with how she came to be the Ministry’s envoy to Hogwarts. Her mission: to debunk the rumors that Voldemort had indeed returned.”

“Don’t forget how she undermined any attempts for students to learn defensive spells.”

“Did she really, in retrospect?” Mrs. Figg urged with an intense look. “I believe you could easily paint her as the catalyst for Dumbledore’s Army. She galvanized the students to become involved in a way that a less controversial teacher might not have.”

“Surely, that’s not the story you want me to tell!” Luna protested.

“No, I was just making a point about there being more than one way to look at things.”

“Perhaps I should portray her as a bureaucrat sent to do a thankless job for a boss whom she idolized,” Luna volunteered.

“Would that boss be Cornelius Fudge or Lord Voldemort?”

“Both, when you get right down to it!” Luna couldn’t help laughing outright at Mrs. Figg’s devilry.

“Why don’t you tie it in with the section on Fudge’s vain attempts to keep his administration from crumbling. You can still depict her actions are being covert, even though she was just following her boss’ orders -- as she will undoubtedly claim.”

When Mrs. Figg returned an hour later to fetch the tray, Luna had the rudiments of her exhibit falling into place.

“Here, I found this in another file,” Mrs. Figg presented Luna with a letter on Fudge’s personal stationary. “We requested he review the data concerning his tenure for accuracy. He sent this as part of his response.”

“Do you think it might provide the perfect segue?” Luna asked with interest as she scanned the former Minister’s words.

It is regrettable that an administration which did much to benefit wizardkind will ultimately be remembered for its most grievous flaws. As the man in charge, I have no one but myself to blame for my myopic view of the events unfolding in the world around us. It was a short-sightedness buoyed by idealism, not that such is any sort of excuse. We had finally banished the worst among us and our society deserved to live in peaceful coexistence. Was I too stubborn to think that our halcyon days could be numbered? It was a dream for which I was willing to fight, to wager my own reputation for the sake of our mutual happiness.

It was unfortunate that Fate proved me to be so fundamentally wrong-headed. But a man who has done his best and failed can only step down from office draped in the mantle of humility. Disgrace is reserved for those who willfully abused the responsibilities which were thrust upon them “ and that I never did.

There are those who will say that my stubbornness allowed our mutual enemy to obtain an undue advantage and for this I am truly sorry. That the forces of good eventually triumphed is a benefit which I will reap along with everyone else.

I cannot think of a more fitting tribute to your relentless heroism than the War Museum you have planned. Let the private citizenry witness firsthand how their very neighbors took it upon themselves to rid the world of evil. We are all indebted to them for their selfless donations of time, property, and in the most extreme cases, their very lives, so that wizardkind would be liberated in their wake.



With quiet certitude, Mrs. Figg proclaimed, “It takes a certain type of courage to admit one’s mistakes, especially without rancor as Fudge has done here. I think we owe it to him to include his words.”

“That’s fine by me, but I still need something more on Umbridge herself. It’s as if I’ve abridged her tale somewhat…”

“Well, you have, Luna dear. You’ve buried her true intentions among the political posturing. What you need are some inoffensive facts about her schooling and early career perhaps.”

“I’m not sure any of her former coworkers are likely to want to cooperate with us. I’d have more success if I sought fodder to deride her.”

“So she wasn’t very popular, I see. Somehow that doesn’t surprise me.” Mrs. Figg poured the last of the lukewarm tea into her cup as she considered the alternatives.

With an accommodating smile, Luna leaned over and reheated the brew with a dainty tap of her wand.

“Thank you, dear,” Mrs. Figg acknowledged. “Tell you what: why don’t I take a little walk to the archives and bring you back some innocuous tidbits? I’ve been cooped up in this dreary townhouse much too long.”

“But the weather…” Luna cautioned with a wary look towards the dubious cloudcover.

“You think I’m afraid of a little rain? It looks like its hours away, at best. I grew up in the city and, believe me, if we waited for the weather to cooperate, Londoners would have long ago died of starvation within their own homes.”

Recognizing a losing battle, Luna desisted. A bit of exercise never did anyone any harm, she allowed inwardly. And Mrs. Figg was right about the rain in the city being more manageable than in the bucolic countryside where she had spent her youth. Luna still recalled the tall tales her father told of the mighty mud holes which could easily swallow a horse and rider.

Looking down at the formal parchment she still clutched in her hand, the words came unbidden from the depths of Luna’s subconscious: The evil men do lives after them; the good is often interred with their bones. She would double-check the exact quote form her father’s Collected Works of William Shakespeare. Her quill struggled to keep pace with the torrent of words flowing onto the creamy sheets before her:

Although this fictional eulogy was never delivered over the grave of Julius Caesar, the words remain true nonetheless. One has only to consider the tenure of Cornelius Oswald Fudge, Minister for Magic, from 1990 through 1996…


Despite Arabella Figg’s fondness for grandmotherly calico and comfortable oxfords, Luna would have been hard-pressed to find a more steadfast muse. With her shabby Macintosh tightly belted against autumn’s sharp bite, Mrs. Figg turned the far corner of the sidewalk and was lost from view. A slight pout of concern lingered on Luna’s lips as she turned her eyes from the leaden horizon and concentrated on the task before her.






She came upon it like a Muggle would: against the slate grey sky, it stood as a darker lump before the modern cityscape. It was only as she drew nearer that the silver ribbons of cold autumn rain parted like a watery fringe, allowing the details to come into sharper focus.

The tumbled concrete cinderblocks and plaster looked like colorless pieces of cake demolished by a giant’s footsteps. The broken timbers were still blackened by the hatred of an enemy long vanquished, yet the metal mesh fence wove around it like a bandage on a wound that, for many families, would never heal.

The small weathered sign identified that the ruins had been declared a national monument by governments past, an homage to the nightly terror which had gripped the city during the dark days of the blitzkrieg. It was a time Mrs. Figg recalled vividly from her childhood and from nightmares for many years thereafter. The vague sign implied that the site was being developed in some manner, yet it never changed. No construction crew ever came to provide sidewalks for the tourists to stare wide-eyed at the haphazardly cantilevered planks above their heads. It would have ruined the starkness of the memorial, Mrs. Figg maintained, somehow diluting the sacrifice many innocents had made for their country.

As for Muggles, they passed by it on their way to work each day and hardly gave it a second glance, a part of the landscape and nothing more. As such it was the perfect locale for the Daily Prophet to house its archives. The morgue, to speak of it in journalistic jargon, a term whose irony was not lost on Mrs. Figg.

She had disembarked from the tube at the prior exit so she could stop in at the bakers and had walked the intervening distance on foot. Having lived in London all her life, the rain did not bother her. Besides, Luna had charmed her umbrella to repel water and she always remained inside a dry bubble despite the angle of the downpour. A subtle effect which proved invisible to Muggles who barely glanced at her through a curtain of rain.

Such a dear that Luna was, Mrs. Figg smiled to herself. She could have never asked for a more agreeable working companion. Always insisting that Squibs didn’t have to live without the benefits of magic; after all, what were friends for?

Immediately across the street from the archives, she ducked under the awning of the concrete pavilion which marked the tube access. With a sigh of relief, she closed her umbrella and went through the motions of shaking it before clasping it shut. As damp as the pavement was in all directions, no one would notice that no droplets actually clung to her magically enhanced brolly.

Two short flights down and just prior to the ticket turnstiles was the short maintenance tunnel she sought. Unobserved by the few Muggles around her, she made as if to reach a single drinking fountain at the rear wall. Unseen from the landing, the tunnel turned at a sharp right angle leading to a single metal door.

She retrieved the plastic card that would allow her access as a frequent visitor. It looked no different than the employee passes worn by the Underground workers; but once through the initial door, a dark crack materialized in the poured concrete before her. Splitting open like a prehistoric egg, it allowed her into the brightly lit and bustling lobby beyond.

The morgue was a regular crup’s den of activity despite the less than hospitable weather conditions outside. Mrs. Figg nodded in a friendly manner to the desk clerk on duty as she found herself a nice spot near the massive file cabinets. She carefully arranged her cloth shopping bag to keep the white bakery boxes stacked properly inside. Courtesy of Luna’s charm, the thick cloth remained bone dry as well. But no wizard would question that; they would assume she had applied a drying charm herself.

A quick mental calculation told her that she should begin her research with 1969 and then proceed backwards until she found the obligatory Hogwarts graduation photo which included Dolores Umbridge. From there, she could limit her research to the seven years prior that would comprise the woman’s student years, assuming she had returned for her N.E.W.T. levels. That was highly likely as Umbridge had obtained a posting with the Ministry right out of school. No need to research the woman’s more recent reign of terror while she enforced Cornelius Fudge’s agenda of misinformation at Hogwarts. They had already amassed reams of parchment about that, not to mention extensive firsthand accounts from aggrieved students and faculty alike.

Although the giant drawers were designed to be manipulated with magic, there always seemed to be a helpful clerk on hand to assist a frail, old lady. Having wrestled the proper stacks to form a small fortress around her end of the reading table, young Jimmy secured her promise that she would not hesitate to call him if she needed anything else.

Mrs. Figg gave him her most benign smile and murmured, “Thank you, dear. I’m sure I’ll be quite occupied for at least an hour or two.”

Chuckling amicably as he gallantly adjusted her chair, Jimmy waved off to his assigned post.

It was all Mrs. Figg could do to hide her guilty smile as she turned the yellowed pages of the decades-old newspaper before her. All young people assumed the elderly were so incapable of helping themselves “ even among wizards where it was a well-established fact that magical ability continued to grow with age. One had only to look to Dumbledore or even Minerva McGonagall to see that. Yet the prejudice persisted.

Ageism, Tonks would surely scoff with a disgusted twist of her face as she assured Mrs. Figg that she was not old by any means. Always thinking in terms of stealth and concealment, Tonks had quickly conspired to use society’s short-sightedness to mask that Mrs. Figg was a Squib.

“Here, just carry this old defective wand in your pocket,” Tonks proposed. “No one will suspect if you wave it around vaguely. Let them come to your assistance. No one could possibly look more inoffensive than you.”

Such a sweetheart that Tonks was, Mrs. Figg concluded. Remus was a lucky man to have snared her. Or had she snared him? Well, it hardly mattered; they were clearly happy with one another and the two delightful children they had produced.

It didn’t take long to lose herself among the subtle nostalgia, recalling how each new event had influenced her own life. A thin stack of issues containing stories from Dolores’ school days was painstakingly set aside. Not much to go on really. Mrs. Figg had so hoped it would not be necessary to travel to the school directly. As much as she would have enjoyed a nice visit with Minerva, she did not have the option to travel by Apparition without a guide (not that it didn’t give her the most beastly headache, mind you) and her one experience with the Knight Bus had been enough to last a lifetime. Several lifetimes, actually. To think that her companions had expended so much energy to convince the young conductor that she was merely suffering from a wayward jinx which had temporarily robbed her of her magical abilities and nothing more.

As she continued to flip the weathered pages, she was caught short. It couldn’t be, her mind screeched. Well, perhaps it could; but how had they not known? No one had thought to ask, she concluded. Of one thing she was certain: she needed to show this to someone who could put it in perspective. Perhaps she was just overreacting, although she had never been one to see conspiracies under every rock like Alastor Moody.

The squeal of her chair as she slid away from the table echoed hollowly in the chamber. With a start, she looked around to find that it was almost closing time. She had not noticed the afternoon slipping away.

“Can I help you with anything?” The solicitous clerk smiled in Mrs. Figg’s direction. It was a young woman now; the shift change had occurred without her noticing at all. “Need copies?” The clerk nodded towards the small stack at Mrs. Figg’s elbow.

“If you don’t mind, dearie,” replied Mrs. Figg, followed by the stock line which Luna had taught her. “I much prefer it when the photos continue to move about and that just doesn’t seem to happen when I copy them with magic.”

The clerk smiled down at her kindly. “Please don’t think there’s anything wrong with your wand, m’am. The Prophet has a copyrighted charm which blocks the replication of its moving photographs unless one of us clerks does it.”

Mrs. Figg knew that, counted on it as a matter of fact. It was one of the reasons doing research at the Daily Prophet morgue was so easy to accomplish despite her limitations.

Remembering the time, Mrs. Figg placed a gentle hand on the clerk’s arm to forestall her. “Not meaning to be a bother, dear, but is there anywhere nearby where I could send an owl? I seem to have lost track of the time today.”

“You’re welcome to use the Floo.” The clerk tilted her head absently toward the large blazing hearth which dominated the far wall. “Complimentary powder is in the pot to the right.”

“I don’t mean to impose…” Mrs. Figg let her words trail meaningfully. “Well, kneeling like that makes my head spin so. Not as easy to get up and down at my age, either.”

Deftly levitating the oversized volumes before her, the clerk turned an indulgent eye towards Mrs. Figg. She really was such an old darling, revisiting the good times of her youth instead of obsessing over the obituaries as so many of these old birds were wont to do. “Tracing old friends today?” she inquired.

“Oh, yes!” Mrs. Figg nodded eagerly. “Today I was lucky to find a path to renew an old friendship. I’m just a bit late…”

“Of course, your family will be worried. And it’s still raining like there’s no tomorrow outside.” Glancing at the minute hand of the clock which indicated it was now officially closing time, the clerk made an immediate decision. “I’ll just get one of the express owls we keep in case the Floo acts up. I won’t be a moment.”

“I don’t want to keep you after hours,” Mrs. Figg demurred, peeking worriedly at the clock herself. Luna was sure to be concerned by now.

“Really, it’s nothing. I still have another hour to my shift while I straighten up and finish some paperwork. It will be pleasant to have a bit of company, if only for a short while. Why don’t you prepare your message on a bit of parchment and I’ll be back for it as soon as I’ve seen to your copies?”

Mrs. Figg graced the clerk with her most beatific smile before turning her attention to the note she needed to send. How should she word it exactly so the seriousness of the discovery was conveyed without raising any undue alarms? There was really only one person she felt comfortable confiding in now that Dumbledore was gone. With a quick flourish of her quill, she addressed the outside of her note to:

R J Lupin

Marauder House

Godric’s Hollow


The clerk assured her that she was welcome to wait for a response. The Floo was not closed until the building was locked up in the wake of the cleaning crew.

Mrs. Figg leaned back in one of the padded chairs which flanked the ornately carved hearth, idly wondering whether it had been part of the original structure. It would not have been unusual to find such a large fireplace in the basement kitchen of one of the stately Edwardian homes which had once been the toast of London.

With a regretful sigh, she realized she had no real idea what sort of structure had stood on this spot before it had been bombed by the Nazis. She had only been a child, caught up in the minutia of childhood and had never visited this part of London that she could recall. Schooled among Muggles, she had learned of Hilter’s views on Aryan purity only to have those same twisted tenets echoed by Grindelwald’s mantra of pureblood superiority for wizards. Two madman, each from the same part of the world, had often made the child in her wonder if there was something amiss with the water supply.

It was too much to be coincidental, she had come to believe, but she never had anyone with which she dared to discuss it. The Statute of Secrecy forbade her from bringing such explosive news to the attention of University historians. As for wizards, they were often the worst about assuming that Muggles were just ants beneath their boots, paying heed only to the events in their own society and disregarding the rest. We share the same world, Mrs. Figg had often wanted to shout, the same sidewalks, the same air, the same bloody rock standing in the middle of the frigid sea “ and, ultimately, the same destiny.

It was Albus Dumbledore who had finally made her see that she was not alone in her beliefs. Although the time had not yet come to dismantle the Statute, he warned, she was not the only one who questioned whether it had outlived its usefulness. Introduced to the other like-minded wizards in the Order of the Phoenix, she was pleasantly surprised to find that, for the first time in her life, she fit in. Imagine that, a Squib finally finding her place among wizards!

Dumbledore had actually seen her total lack of magical aptitude as an asset and assigned her to watch over Harry at Privet Drive for the sixteen years the lad had lived there. No one else would have passed muster with the Dursleys and their obsessive rejection of everything magical. Stupidity in the face of what they knew to be true, what they had witnessed for themselves, yet Vernon had poisoned his wife Petunia to turn her back on her own sister “ and by extension, her nephew, Harry.

She often wondered how the Dursleys had fared in the eight years since Harry had left them for good. Were they happy to finally be rid of him as they had always maintained to the poor lad’s face? Or had he left an inexplicable void in their lives only to have them deny it to themselves as well? Mrs. Figg often suspected it was the latter, but she knew it was too big a risk to try to find out. Her own safety depended on her anonymity just as the Dursley’s welfare in the midst of a brutal war had depended upon them cutting all ties with the Boy-Who-Lived.

Mrs. Figg remembered Harry asking her about it as they stood among the dusty tomes of the neglected study at Grimmauld Place and dared to dream that the shabby townhouse might be suitable for a museum.

“I often wonder…” He had left the sentence unfinished, the hitch in his voice unmistakable to her ears.

She had given his arm a gentle squeeze and counseled, “Sometimes we have to let go, Harry. They never really wanted to be a part of our world. Are you really ready to go back to theirs?”

“No, I wouldn’t want to lose all I’ve gained,” Harry admitted woefully. “I just worry…”

“That they might have become victims?”

He nodded dumbly.

“The Auror Division has kept meticulous records of Muggles who fell victim to Voldemort’s rampages; you can thank Kingsley Shacklebolt for that. Have you checked with him?”

“Yes,” Harry admitted hollowly. “He allowed me to comb through the lists to convince myself. Promised he would never keep such news from me regardless of how…painful…it might prove to be.”

She had seen the haunted look in the back of Harry’s eyes then, the ghosts of all those whom he had lost along the way. It saddened her that such hardships had been visited upon him at an early age, wondered about how much they had cost him despite his ultimate triumph.

But then she’d heard Remus calling up from the landing, reminding Harry that they’d promised Tonks to be back in time to help feed the children and all vestiges of the past had flown out the window. With a high voltage smile which demonstrated just how much he had come to love his extended family, Harry wrapped her up in a quick hug and took the stairs at the breakneck speed of youth.

Almost as if on cue, a bright emerald flare drew her from her musings. But instead of seeing Remus’ features nestled among the blazing coals, Mrs. Figg was surprised to find the man himself easing his long limbs from the gargantuan hearth.

“Why, Auntie,” Remus remarked with a winning smile directed at the clerk, “we were beginning to worry about you. Did you forget you were dining with the family this evening?”

“She lost track of the time as she meandered down memory lane,” the clerk supplied as she assisted Mrs. Figg to assemble her packages. “Is it still beastly out?”

“Deplorable,” Remus commiserated in his most charming manner. “I hope she hasn’t been too much trouble. She so prefers the bustling ambiance here to the library.”

“No bother at all,” the clerk assured them. “The dear is welcome anytime.”

“Ta,” Mrs. Figg offered as she deposited three shiny Sickles on the desk to pay for the copying services. As Remus led her towards the fire, she couldn’t help being relieved that she’d bought an extra box of the lavender tea biscuits which Luna preferred. No point in arriving without a hostess gift “ despite the impromptu nature of the invitation.

“I already Floo’d Luna to let her know you were in good hands,” Remus breathed reassuringly in Mrs. Figg’s ear as he helped her over the low stoop.

Briefly, she wondered if she would get a chance to see Harry tonight as well. Or were he and Ginny still enjoying their honeymoon?

Taking an extra moment to steady her by the arm, Remus nodded that they should step into the hearth in unison. With a mighty green swoosh, they were swept away in the direction of Godric’s Hollow.
Six: A Call to Arms by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Six
A Call to Arms



“I don’t want that man in my house!” Harry reiterated, the copper pots hanging from the rack above reverberating as he brought his fist down on the kitchen table.

“Be reasonable, Harry,” Remus returned in a even voice. “He’s still an official member of the Order. How would it look if he were purposely excluded?”

“We’re allowing Luna to bring her father as a guest. It’s not like we’re maintaining strict secrecy.”

“Don’t you think it would be useful to have The Quibbler on our side? You yourself used it to stand up to the slanted news in the Daily Prophet, or have you forgotten?”

The set of Harry’s jaw clearly showed he was not backing down. “Besides, the Order ceased to exist with Voldemort’s defeat.”

Remus sighed. “Consider it a social club, then, like the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The Minister specifically requested --”

“Have you forgotten the doubts I’ve had about Scrimgeour all along?” Harry pressed. “Surely Tonks relayed the man’s personal stance on werewolves…”

“Yes, but he publicly puts a different face on it. You can’t deride him for that.”

Only because Hermione and Percy cornered him, Harry thought darkly, prudently deciding it would not do to voice such sentiments aloud. After all, the presence of Mrs. Figg meant this was not just a family discussion.

“Did I do the wrong thing by bringing this to your attention?” Mrs. Figg implored as she looked at the two men standing on opposite ends of the long table.

“No, of course not, Arabella. Harry and I don’t always see eye to eye,” Remus offered genially.

“It’s always better to know the truth,” Harry echoed with an apologetic half-smile in the direction of his former neighbor.

“That’s just it,” Remus argued. “We only know a very small corner of the truth. You’re judging the man based on circumstantial evidence!”

“All of his suspicious actions just got put into context!” Harry shot back. “How can you deny that?”

“I know how it looks, Harry. But I can’t categorically condemn the man without hearing his side of it,” Remus insisted. “Just remember how they railroaded Sirius.”

“It is a similar situation,” Mrs. Figg ventured, her grey head bobbing up and down. “Not that I’m taking sides, mind you.”

“Wise decision,” Tonks agreed as she took the chair next to Mrs. Figg. “Don’t let their enthusiastic discussion put you off. Harry and Remus are bound to disagree every once in a while.”

A loud pop announced Dobby’s Apparition at Tonks’ side. “Were you able to put the children to bed, Mistress?”

“Yes, Dobby.” Tonks smiled at the concern in the house-elf’s protuberant eyes. “I diffused an Uninterrupted Sleep Potion directly into the air as well.” Leveling a no nonsense look at the men, she added, “I’m trusting the two of you to reach a viable compromise as adults.”

“I really didn’t mean to spark a confrontation…” Mrs. Figg remarked apologetically.

“Of course not, dear,” Tonks soothed as she patted Mrs. Figg’s papery hand in reassurance. “Just take it with a grain of salt. If Ginny were here, she’d already be lining up wagers for Harry’s temper versus Remus’ stubbornness.”

Mrs. Figg giggled nervously. “Do you approach everything with such irreverence?”

“Didn’t we fight a war for that very privilege?” Remus supplied with a smirk. “Besides, humor always diffuses the situation.”

“Thank you, Dobby,” Tonks whispered as she took the laden tray from the elf’s hands. “Won’t you help yourself to some tea, Arabella? I need to check on the children one last time. I think an Imperturbable Charm may be in order.”

“I’m still not backing down,” Harry pronounced. “Mrs. Figg, surely you remember how he abandoned his post just prior to the dementor attack in Little Whinging?”

“Of course, dear,” Mrs. Figg offered over a dainty sip of tea.

Harry nodded grimly before continuing, “And I stumbled upon him in Hogsmeade with a whole satchel of silver goblets from Grimmauld Pl--”

“You have no evidence they were stolen,” Remus interjected. “Sirius was prone to give things away with just a wave of his hand.”

“They were family heirlooms!” Harry volleyed back.

“From a family which had disowned him,” Remus countered.

“You always have an answer for everything,” Harry huffed as he sat down heavily at his end of the table.

“Alternate explanations can be just as valid,” Remus supplied diplomatically. “That’s why I maintain it’s all inconclusive.”

“But he’s related to that…pig!” Harry was clearly unconvinced.

“Did you forget that Sirius and Tonks were related to Bellatrix? Much more closely, in fact,” Remus pointed out. “You can’t condemn a man because of his family. It’s his own actions--”

“”that are particularly damning!” Harry finished. “I caught him with the pinched goods months after Sirius fell through the Veil. His guilty reaction--”

“”means nothing,” Remus cut across. “He could just as easily have obtained those goods months earlier. What makes you so certain he was raiding the townhouse while it was uninhabited?”

“Didn’t Dumbledore warn you not to go back there?” Harry posed rhetorically. “That is was unsafe.”

“Yes, he provided me with alternate living arrangements that summer,” Remus admitted. “But I suspect he did that to help ease my grief just as much as anything else.”

“He was searching for Hufflepuff’s Cup!” Harry proclaimed.

“Which Dolores Umbridge had already secreted at Hogwarts the previous year,” Tonks volunteered as she calmly reclaimed her seat at Mrs. Figg’s side. “Yet Dung didn’t know about that.”

“So she didn’t tell him everything,” Harry opined.

Lupin shook his head sharply. “So he wasn’t privy to her true intentions, Harry. You can’t assume they were accomplices in this.”

“I still don’t want him in my house!” Harry exclaimed as his cup rattled ominously in its saucer.

“That’s not your decision to make,” Remus answered.

“Half of it is,” Harry defended. “Are you weighing in on the other half? What about Tonks?”

Tonks threw up her hands in surrender. “I’m claiming Swiss citizenship on this one. Total neutrality.”

Remus repositioned his chair so he was closer to Harry. “Look, Harry,” he proffered gently, “I admit Mundungus Fletcher has always been a dodgy character, but we can’t be condemning others based on theory and not absolute fact. It’s not fair!”

Harry scowled. “And everyone has always been fair to you in life. Haven’t they, Remus?”

“Quite the contrary. Which is why I strive to rise above it,” he urged with quiet fervor.

“Over-compensation, if you ask me,” Harry scoffed.

“Intransient idealism,” Tonks mumbled to herself.

A long shadow fell across the table from the doorway leading to the drawing room. Tonks looked up expectantly, but was caught short by the dark figure of Severus Snape.

Leaning contemptuously against the doorframe, he sneered, “Well, well, well…I always thought the two of you got along so famously together.” His obsidian eyes bore into Harry and Remus in turn. “I’m frankly surprised I don’t see wands drawn.”

“Really, Severus…” Remus protested.

“Of course, how could I be so boorish? Domestic disputes call for more civilized methods. Luckily, I see you have all manner of sharp knives at your disposal.” At the disparaging lift of Snape’s eyebrow, metal implements throughout the kitchen rattled ominously in their holders.

“Very funny, Severus,” Remus remarked dryly. “I see you’ve just returned from a visit to Rasputin’s tailor.”

“Yes, well, the man is entitled to make a living. Besides, he’s a distant relation,” Snape allowed in an undertone.

Not to be left out, Harry dared, “What brings you here this evening? Isn’t it a little late for Halloween?”

Not missing a beat, Snape replied in a silken tone, “A Muggle custom the wizarding world has embraced wholeheartedly thanks to your lot.”

“Why, Severus,” Tonks interjected sweetly, “I would have thought you were a natural for fancy dress parties. So many villains to choose from…”

“Indeed,” he acknowledged her well-place barb. “If only I had Lupin’s innate abilities, I could deride the students in different languages, as well.”

“Glad to hear you’re in support of the new linguistics program, then,” Remus noted.

Mrs. Figg’s mouth was hanging half open at the rapid-fire word play, confusion dotting her brow as she looked from one to the other.

Knowing this group could go on for hours, Tonks redirected the conversation. “Opening pleasantries aside, I should explain that I took the liberty of soliciting another opinion.”

Ginny was really going to kick herself for choosing tonight to clear out her London flat once and for all, Harry thought to himself. He could just envision her licking the end of her quill in concentration as she quickly refigured the odds with the addition of Snape into the mix.

With vampiric panache, Snape swirled his black robes into the chair Tonks offered him. “An impartial arbiter, so to speak. Minerva sends her regrets, Tonks. Both the Heads were tied up with school duties, but I was free. Finished supervising all my detentions hours ago. Didn’t know I’d be called upon for a another round.” Nodding sharply in Mrs. Figg’s direction, he commented with a sardonic smile, “Good evening, Arabella. I see you got caught up with this band of reprobates.”

“Fell though the rabbit hole, more like,” Mrs. Figg admitted.

“See, you have a flair for the game already,” Snape returned glibly.

“Here, let me fill you in,” Tonks offered as she handed him the parchment sheets Mrs. Figg had brought to their attention. Snape furrowed his brow as his eyes scanned the words before him.

“5 April 1964,” the banner across the top of the page read. It was an instinctual reaction to ponder where his own life had been at that juncture. Too young for Hogwarts, too young even for the run-down Muggle schoolhouse perched like a vulture on the hill overlooking Spinner’s End. His mother must have already been toiling dawn to dusk at the textile mill; it would have been operating at full capacity then. Even his father had been gainfully employed, not having been sacked for drunkenness until Snape was older. Only then had the beatings of his mother begun in earnest...

Next Snape turned his attention to the outside world. Grindelwald had been long since banished by Dumbledore; young Tom Riddle would have left Hogwarts as well, but not yet resurfaced in the self-styled guise of Lord Voldemort. Nobby Leach had been Minister for Magic while the Muggle government had been entrenched in some minor skirmishes -- but that was hardly surprising. Nothing of world-wide import affecting wizards directly…

Having taken a moment to orient his mind, Snape scanned the headlines before him.

Hogwarts Hosts European History Symposium

Students Reacquaint Themselves with Long-Lost Relatives


After nearly two years of negotiations with the Department for International Magical Cooperation, Caspar Mulroney, Deputy Headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, has finally realized a life-long dream. His school is hosting the first-ever History Symposium during the Easter holidays.

“Any Hogwarts student who wished to stay on as a spectator was welcome, of course,” Professor Mulroney commented. “But let’s face it: not everyone finds history to be a very fascinating subject.”

As Ancient Runes instructor, Professor Mulroney often finds himself digging into the past to unearth exciting tales of ancient intrigue and adventure. Trying to impart his passion to his students has often met with rather bored expressions. “But that’s all going to change this week,” he assures us. “We will be bringing history to life with re-enactments, debates, and finally an elimination tournament that will incorporate important events from the world of wizards and Muggles alike.”

In order to thoroughly challenge students, the combined expertise of Professor Jeremy Farquar, Muggle Studies, and Professor Cuthbert Binns, History of Magic, have been recruited to prepare quiz questions for the competition.

Events will culminate with the Antiquarian Ball (period costumes preferred, but not required) this coming Friday, 10 April, in the Great Hall at Hogwarts. This will allow foreign visitors to return home in time for classes to resume the following Monday…


Snape scanned the section detailing the make-up of the Hogwarts team, but recognized no one. A familiar name near the end of the column caught his eye.

“It is a fine testament to Professor Mulroney’s long tenure at Hogwarts that he had bestowed such an honor upon us,” current Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, confirmed. “I have full confidence the event will run smoothly under his able stewardship.”

Scheduled to retire at the end of the school year, Deputy Headmaster Mulroney is being allowed to take the helm of the symposium as a final honor while Professor Dumbledore spends the Easter break with his own family.

“It will be a rare treat for me as well,” the Headmaster confided as he double-checked last minute travel preparations. “I have longed to explore history on a more personal level among the classic ruins of Greece.”

Asked if he was tracing Hellenic roots of his own, the Headmaster’s vibrant blue eyes twinkled as he stated, “Not at all, I just like the climate.”

Wanting to provide international students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang Academies with the full Hogwarts experience, visitors were sorted into Houses and allowed to share dormitory rooms with those students who choose to remain on hand during the two-week event. Much to their delight, many students have discovered they share family ties with those who have been temporarily assigned to their Houses.

“Not that we shouldn’t have expected it,” Professor Minerva McGonagall remarked. Currently Head of Gryffindor House, the professor is expected to assume the post of Deputy Headmistress in time for next fall’s crop of students. “Siblings end up in the same house more often than not; why should it surprise us that the tie holds true if relatives are separated by land and sea?”

Current seventh year student, Rodolphus Lestrange, found a great-great-grandmother still living in Dijon. Evan Rosier has relatives in the foothills of Alsace. Herbert Chang discovered he hails from a long line of Tartars with current roots in Vladivostok. The Malfoy family of Wiltshire traced distant cousins to the Loire Valley of France.

But no one was as surprised as Gilbert Goyle to find that his family shared a common ancestry with renowned wand manufacturer, Yuri Gregorovitch. “Blimey, my genes must not react properly with this poor excuse of a domestic wand I’ve been carrying,” Goyle scoffed as Charms instructor, Filius Flitwick was overheard muttering, “No more excuses from you, lad.”

Not to be outdone, Professor Mulroney himself discovered a Muscovite branch to his family tree.

“It’s international brotherhood at it’s very best,” Bartemius Crouch of the Department for International Cooperation announced with pride…


Lots of familiar names, Snape concluded, but surely there was nothing here to alarm Mrs. Figg. Despite her appearance, he knew her to be a grizzled veteran who was not so easily rattled.

Feeling she should attend to her other guest while Snape’s concentration was elsewhere, Tonks whispered to Mrs. Figg, “You must forgive the boys, Arabella. It’s just a little recognition ritual they follow. Making sure that no one is disguised with Polyjuice and the like.”

“Isn’t that why we do a Patronus check?” Mrs. Figg returned in confusion.

“Yes, but Severus once claimed that Remus’ presence was enough to put him off pleasant memories entirely.”

“So we found another method that suited him better,” Remus concluded under his breath.

Snape’s particular brand of biting baritone would be difficult to duplicate, Mrs. Figg allowed silently. It wasn’t so terribly different than the protocols the Ministry’s pamphlets had outlined -- once it had finally admitted to Voldemort’s return. Who could blame them for reworking the rules in a time of peace?

Ignoring the conversations around him, Snape unfurled the next parchment page, finding a small, related bit shoved into the lower left corner.

Hog’s Head Public House

Closed Due to Failed Inspection


A famous Hogsmeade landmark was dealt a heavy blow earlier this week when Ministry inspectors announced that the Hog’s Head would be temporarily closed due to health code violations.

“It’s nothing that a thorough cleaning and airing out won’t cure,” officials assured us. “We want to make sure everything is in tip-top shape when our children return to Hogwarts after their spring break.”

Reached for comment, proprietor Aberforth Dumbledore had this to say, “I’m goin’ ta make the best of it, I am. Can’t say I’ve taken a right holiday since I opened my doors. And don’t ya be askin’ me who sat on the Muggle throne when that was, neither!”

The recent influx of international attendees to the History Symposium will just have to make do with other famed eating establishments such at the Three Broomsticks and Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop which promise us they will remain open during the Easter school holidays.


Snape was in the midst of considering who Dumbledore had paid off to grant Aberforth such a perfectly-timed subterfuge when he was drawn to the vivid moving pictures gracing the right hand side of the page.

A photo of three smiling girls had a caption which read: Marlene McKinnon, third year, had always known that Dorcas Meadows, first year, was her fourth cousin. What neither of them foresaw was that they would be sharing sleeping quarters with Dominq Fobeus, another cousin, whose family resides in a coastal village in Poland. Both local girls had joined the Order and fallen victim to Voldemort’s cruelty long before he had joined the ranks, Snape recollected.

The following photo showed Goyle the elder with his arm around a bulky man who could easily have been his evolutionary precursor, Snape sneered to himself.

Next came a vibrant Augusta Longbottom with a foppishly dressed little boy. Could that really be Frank under all those curls? He couldn’t have been more than four or five at the time. ‘I just couldn’t let the opportunity slip by for Frankie to meet some of his relations,’ Augusta Longbottom declared as she found her seat among the spectator stands. ‘We’re related to the Longineaus from Zurich, you know.’ Chloe and Gertie Longineau are both alternates on the Beauxbatons junior and senior squads, respectively. No doubt about it, Frank had the same cherubic face which had plagued Neville until his final year. As for Augusta, her attire was spinsterish even as a young woman. Merlin, how he detested that woman’s taste in fashion!

But it was the next one that caught him by surprise. ‘Mum always said I had loads of third and fourth cousins,’ second-year Dottie Umbridge chirped. ‘Didn’t have to go much further than Lancastershire to find ‘em, though.’ Sixth-year Mundungus Fletcher was pleased to stumble upon family right in his own Hufflepuff Common Room. Caught off guard, ‘Dung’ commented joyfully, ‘And ta think I almost didn’t come back for N.E.W.T.s!’

There was no mistaking the faces, either, Snape considered. Even in her girlish Alice band and frilly socks, Umbridge’s round face was already taking on a toadish look. As for Fletcher, he looked as unkempt as ever, his sixteen-year-old features looking just as haggard as if he’d come off a three-day drunk. So this was the viper in their midst, Snape concluded with absolute certainty.

Harry refilled his cup impatiently as he waited for Snape to reach the end of the document. Had the man ever read any of his essays in such careful detail before scrawling disparaging remarks across the face of them?

Snape looked up to find Harry’s emerald eyes boring into him with a coldness worthy of a Slytherin.

“Surprising, isn’t it?” Harry goaded.

“Absolutely,” Snape drawled, turning slightly to better address him. “I would never have suspected Mundungus Fletcher was not the blackest sheep in his family. I take it you’re arguing whether to paint them both with the same tar brush?”

“I don’t want that man in my house!” Harry repeated.

“Nor his cousin, I warrant,” Snape returned with cold precision. “Why do you take a different view, Lupin?”

“The evidence is all circumstantial.” Remus sighed wearily. “We can’t allow ourselves to use the same tactics as the Ministry when they sentenced Sirius after Pettigrew set him up.”

“True,” Snape allowed grimly. “But you had a good measure of Sirius’ character after all those years of friendship. Can anyone speak for Mundungus?” Seeing that he had no takers, Snape prodded, “How about you, Arabella?”

Mrs. Figg shrugged self-consciously. “He was always friendly enough,” she volunteered tentatively. “Never said anything nasty about my cats when he swept them off the sofa before seating himself. Used to commiserate that ‘Dottie never used to be like that.’”

“See…” Harry urged.

Mrs. Figg continued, “He claimed that Cornelius Fudge had poisoned her with promises of power. I always took that to refer to her appointment to Hogwarts, but I suppose he could have been referring to other things. I don’t rightly know…”

“He wasn’t there for the final confrontation with Voldemort,” Harry interjected venomously. “Nor part of the reinforcements or the first-aid detail, either.”

“I believe he was doing a stint in Azkaban for a botched burglary at the time,” Mrs. Figg clarified softly.

“Hardly a sterling recommendation,” Snape remarked. “Might I add that Dumbledore was of the opinion that Fletcher had been framed. A simple way to get one of the Order members out of the way… Or was it an old man’s paranoia in the face of this own dwindling health? What have you to say on the matter, Tonks?”

“I never really knew the man,” Tonks stammered, her eyes glued to her teacup.

“Oh, come,” Snape cajoled darkly. “He showed enough of his backside at the Burrow that one time. Surely you haven’t forgotten?”

Discomfited, Tonks shook her head. “It seems so inconsequential, Severus. We were all so stressed at the time, myself included. Perhaps I was too touchy…”

Catching the haunted look in Tonk’s eye, Remus leaned over and entwined his fingers with hers. “You never told me this, cherub.”

“No, I didn’t,” Tonks admitted hollowly. “You had enough on your plate once they dug you out of a snowbank. Truly, Sevenus, we were all at our wit’s end that night.”

“When?” Remus urged in a whisper.

Tonks sighed before capitulating. “The night of the first full moon after you escaped from the werewolf compound.”

Harry held his breath, hoping the rest of the details would be forthcoming. Remus didn’t speak much of those episodes in his life, if ever. The few snippets he’d been able to piece together indicated Remus’ undercover assignment had proven to be more harrowing than Dumbledore expected.

In answer to Tonks’ look of supplication, Snape elaborated, “If you’ll allow me. We had an emergency conclave to appraise one another of how we were leading the Ministry in a merry chase over Will Overstreet’s escape. Dumbledore was doing his best to convince Tonks that nothing would be achieved by launching a one-woman rescue mission. Fletcher made an offhand remark to Tonks about how we were just making much ado over nothing.”

With downcast eyes, Tonks clarified in a tiny voice, “He said not to worry; that Remus was like a bad penny, always showing up.”

“Precisely,” Snape concurred. “Well, Minerva turned on him like a lioness and growled, ‘I would expect such disparaging remarks from Severus; but what did Remus ever do to you?’ Caught in the crosshairs, Fletcher just shook his head. The man never had enough backbone to stand up to that woman’s temper.”

“Very few do,” Remus attested.

As Snape spun out the story in dispassionate terms, Tonks felt she was reliving those agonizing moments once again. She clearly recalled Dung shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot as he scratched his unshaven chin. “Nothing,” Dung muttered, avoiding the sparks in Minerva’s eyes. “Forget I said anything, ‘right?”

She’d raised her tear-streaked face from Minerva’s shoulder and tried to stare the man down. “I think you’d best elaborate, Dung,” she demanded, her wet voice robbing her words of their impact.

Trapped, Dung had replied, “ ‘e’s not the sort you’d take ‘ome to meet yer folks, if ya catch my meaning.”

Tonks’ jaw had dropped, too overcome with shock to respond. Dung was one of them, she wailed inwardly, how could he harbor such narrow-mindedness?

Minerva had come to her aid. “I suspect Remus cleans up a lot better than you do!” she hissed before ushering Tonks into the other room.

Remus’ sarcasm brought her back to the present. “And you happened to witness this entire exchange?” he threw at Snape. “Convenient.”

Snape shrugged disdainfully. “Once Minerva mentioned my name, I was obliged to be on hand to defend my status as the resident curmudgeon.”

“Really, Remus, it was nothing,” Tonks implored as she squeezed his hand.

Remus turned to look at Harry directly. “I can’t actually say I like the man, mind you, but if we allow personal feelings --”

“Then you would have never included me in any of the Order’s activities,” Snape finished with a self-satisfied smirk.

“Severus, please…” Remus interceded.

“It’s hardly a secret, Lupin. Don’t insult me.” Snape’s smugness was beginning to wear on Harry. “The difference is I don’t go around hoping everyone will like me.”

Unable to resist, Harry quipped, “That does explain a lot.”

Unperturbed, Snape replied, “Not that you lot --” He motioned to Harry and Remus. “”aren’t known for your own brand of gallows humor, mind you.”

“So neither of you trusts Mundungus,” Mrs. Figg summarized adroitly. “What now?”

Without hesitation, Remus intoned, “We need real evidence. No more suppositions.”

“Set a trap,” Snape suggested. “You want to know if he’s a spy in our camp, right? Feed him some false bit of fluff and see if Umbridge repeats it.”

“That still requires we let him in the door,” Harry protested.

“Unless you know how to feed him the information otherwise.” Snape shrugged. “You have to make it sound like it’s the official stance of the Order, you know.”

“And what’s to keep him from helping himself to our possessions?” Harry cried. “He must restock his secondhand goods store somehow!”

“Harry, are you really that suspicious?” Tonks posed.

Lupin’s piercing look seemed to imply: are you really that materialistic?

“Begging your pardon, Sirs,” Dobby interjected with pleading eyes, “but if that’s what’s worrying Master Harry, Dobby can help. Dobby was not always a kitchen elf, oh no. When he was younger, he often worked security detail. Dobby knows just how to shadow suspicious characters to protect Master’s valuables, yes indeed. Dobby will follow this Dung fellow.”

Dobby had so seamlessly become a part of their extended family Harry often forgot he had once belonged to the Malfoys before obtaining his freedom. No doubt Lucius had just cause to keep extra eyes on the dodgy characters who had frequented Malfoy Manor during Voldemort’s reign. Characters who would make Mundungus Fletcher look like Peter Pan in comparison.

Making an immediate decision, Harry smiled into the elf’s upturned face. “Do you promise to let someone else help with the refreshments, Dobby? I don’t want you to overtax yourself and Ginny’s mum is always offering to lend a hand.”

Looking hesitantly in Remus’ direction only to receive a reassuring nod, Dobby agreed to the compromise. “Grandmother Molly would not be as successful at tailing guests as Dobby would,” he affirmed solemnly.

Hiding her smirk as best she could, Tonks turned gratefully in Snape’s direction. “Please don’t think I’ve neglected your needs, Severus. Can we offer you some brandy or Firewhiskey perhaps? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you take tea…”

“That’s because those Hogwarts elves have no concept of how I prefer it,” he drawled with a sinister smile. As he deftly filled a china cup with a lazy flick of his wand, Snape held out his other hand expectantly. With a sharp pop, Dobby reappeared with a bottle of honey mead. “However, this delightful elf has a fine memory,” he noted as he fortified the beverage to his liking.

With a deep courteous bow, Dobby Disapparated leaving the bottle at Snape’s elbow. There was little doubt Snape had once been a frequent visitor to Malfoy Manor as well.






The warm glow of the candle sconces embracing the disused ballroom belied the wintry chill which had fallen over Godric’s Hollow. As the familiar faces of the Order members lined the room before her, Tonks couldn’t help thinking that even in death, the old man had been prophetic. How keenly she recalled the inspirational conversation she’d had with her Headmaster at her graduation festivities so many years ago. He’d likened evil to a dark phoenix, hadn’t he? It had echoed in her mind as she endured her Auror training. Months which alternated between frustration and exhaustion and euphoria. She would never accept the inevitability of evil; she would eradicate it. Poison its very roots so it could not rise again.

Had he been recruiting her for the Order even then? She had graduated during a period of relative peace, yet even then Dumbledore had known they would be drawn into another facedown with Voldemort. Only the manner of the maniac’s return was uncertain.

Now with Voldemort vanquished once and for all and Dumbledore’s presence relegated to a portrait in the Headmistress’ office, Tonks had forsaken the outer trappings of an Auror for the life of an educator; following in the great man’s footsteps without even realizing it. Not to mention deriving great satisfaction in preparing her avid students for whatever tribulations the future might hold.

She had not considered she herself would be called upon to confront petty tyrants intent upon making their unique dark mark. Bugs which should be crushed under the Ministry’s boots, if she had her way. Surely, that was the most expeditious handling of such issues. But hadn’t the Ministry demonstrated its power-hungry tendrils often knew no bounds?

Kingsley’s summons had only to remind them that the Minister had chosen to recognize the victors with Orders of Merlin for them to conclude they owed it to come to his aid. The problem was no one was exactly sure how to counter Umbridge’s unfounded aspersions. It was a situation no one had anticipated. After all, as Tonks had reminded her husband the night before, they were a group trained to meet their enemies head-on. Standing up to Dolores’ lies was a public relations nightmare, but hardly something they could attack at wandpoint.

Taking her words to heart, Remus had invited Luna to join them while Neville was still abroad. In the current crisis, Luna’s finesse with pleasing opposing factions would come in handier than battle skills.

Tonks reminded herself that appearances could be deceiving as she watched Luna’s blonde head swivel dreamily about the room much as Phoebe’s would have done. Remember this was the same woman who single-handedly kept Harry’s wedding from become a media nightmare, she intoned silently. Had it not been for Luna’s innovative ideas for the Fidelius Charm, the ceremony could have become as much a carnival as Kingsley Shacklebolt’s had been the year before. Kingsley had only managed to save the day by obtaining an emergency Portkey at the eleventh hour and transporting the entire assemblage to a private Caribbean island. An undertaking which had cost him a pretty penny, one might add.

A commotion near the entrance brought Tonks immediately to her feet although she could see Remus had already gone on ahead of her. She could hear Hagrid’s booming voice as he checked Patronuses at the door.

“It’s probably Father,” Luna whispered as she fell in with Tonks.

Fumbling poltergeists, what sort of a problematic Patronus could Luna’s father have? Based on the far-fetched stories which often ran in The Quibbler, should they be expecting an army of Heliopaths? One Heliopath would be bad enough, Tonks reasoned snidely. Surely not, that would mean the creatures really existed, wouldn’t it?

“It’s a coelacanthe!” Xenopilius Lovegood maintained. “Can’t you read, you ruddy oaf?”

“Don’t rightly say what tha’ is, do it?” Hagrid’s oversized finger pointed at the long list of Patronuses before him as he puffed out his mighty chest in offense. “Not much o’ an infallible identifier if all you’s have ta know is how ta pronounce it!”

“It’s my fault,” Luna chimed in as she eased her way between Hagrid and Remus. “I should have included some literature, perhaps a picture.”

“Why The Quibbler devoted a full issue to coelacanthes on the fiftieth anniversary of their discovery,” Xenophilius asserted with pride.

“Would there be a source other than The Quibbler?” Remus urged diplomatically. “Something that I might have in my own library?” He graciously swept an arm in the direction of the large room situated just off the entrance foyer to emphasize that he was not doubting the integrity of Mr. Lovegood’s tabloid, even though Tonks knew that, inwardly, he did.

Luna’s watery blue eyes lit up immediately. “Do you have any books about fossils, prehistoric ones? Even a Muggle volume will do.”

“Follow me,” Remus allowed as he ushered Luna into the next room, raising the lights in the wall brackets as he did so.

“It won’t just be a minute,” Tonks remarked as she graciously offered Xenophilius her hand. “We met at Bill and Fleur’s wedding, I’m Tonks.”

“Of course,” Xenophilius wagged his head eagerly. “You’re the Metamorphmagus.”

“You have a fine memory.” Tonks flashed him a wide smile.

“An eye for the unusual, one would say,” he confided.

“Here we go,” Remus proclaimed as returned with a large tome. Placing it where Hagrid could see the photo clearly, he bade their guest to invoke his Patronus once more.

Within moments, a smoky version of the pre-historic sea creature could be seen swishing its mighty fins as it made its way up the staircase leading to the upper story.

“Notice the peculiar way its fins move,” Xenophilius pointed out. “Not in tandem like most fish, but in opposition like the legs of land beasts.”

“Many believe the coelacanthe is the missing link between the creatures of the land and those of the sea,” Luna elaborated.

“I always envisioned it as being a precursor to Thor’s multi-legged stallion,” Xenophilius added with a large wink.

A quick review of the book before him had Remus shaking Xenophilius’ hand vigorously and apologizing for the inconvenience.

“Too many instances of Polyjuice at Hogwarts even.” Xenophilius chuckled amicably. “Can’t say I would’ve reacted any differently myself. What did you expect my Patronus to be, a Crumbled-Horn Snorkack?”

The Patronus must have alerted those upstairs as Victoire and Yvette could be seen dangling from the short expanse of railing above. Their cheery voices cried, “Uncle Xeno! Uncle Xeno!” as they tumbled down the stairs in greeting.

“I did tell you he’s been my neighbor for nigh on thirty years,” the quiet voice of Arthur Weasley offered from where he had joined them. Catching Fleur’s face peeking around the corner, he reminded her, “The meeting is about to start, dear. I’m sure the children will be just fine with Tonks’ folks.”

Tonks nodded encouragingly to Fleur as she urged the girls to return to the playroom above after getting quick hugs from their Uncle Xeno.

“How are they holding out “ honestly?” she implored as she guided Fleur down the short hallway that led back towards the meeting.

“Zey are ‘olding on,” Fleur confided. “Your maman eez remembering zee French words of ‘er youth.”

“And Dad?” Tonks giggled.

“’e eez much ze same as you!” Fleur laughed gaily. “’e finds zee seriousness of zee conversation to be much cause for laughter. Teddy and Victoire together, zey eez accomplices.”

“Teddy is so much like his father in that way.”

“I theenk not,” Fleur opined with a Gallic wag of her finger. “If ‘e was truly like Remus, ‘e would be dissecting if Camus was truly zee existentialist or zee nihilist. Or per’aps, zee folly of zee antics of Voltaire.”

“He does like to practice his vocabulary now that he’s officially teaching French at Hogwarts,” Tonks commiserated with a laugh.

“’e apparently theenks Beauxbatons eez a training ground for zee philosophers, much as ‘ogwarts eez.”

“I see your point,” Tonks allowed. “I can only imagine what he’ll require of his N.E.W.T. level students when the time comes.”

As they found their seats among the mismatched sofas, chairs, and even garden furniture that had been levitated onto the polished wood floors, Tonks caught sight of Ron and Hermione who must have arrived in the meanwhile. Ginny was already chattering away as she hoisted her niece over her shoulder for burping.

“It’s really not necessary,” Hermione protested with a weak smile. “We took care of that at home.”

“Unless you feel a need to practice, Sis,” Ron teased with a dig of his elbow. “Now that you’re a married woman and all.”

“It was hardly a shotgun wedding, if that’s what you’re implying,” Ginny scoffed.

“I suspect not,” Ron quipped. “As long as the two of you were engaged, it must have actually taken a landmine to get you before the magistrate.”

“Now, Ron,” Hermione soothed. “Harry and Ginny just wanted to take their time, establish careers. Consider it a backlash for all those years which were consumed with Harry’s destiny to defeat Voldemort.” Hermione thought it wise to keep silent about Ginny’s confession that she did not want to be supervising a gaggle of children by the time she was twenty-five as her own mother had.

“My folks are upstairs taking care of the other children,” Tonks interjected. “I’m sure they wouldn’t find young Eleanor a burden.”

Ron expertly peeled the sleeping infant from Ginny’s shoulder and repositioned her in his own arms. With a wide grin suffusing his face, he replied, “Thanks, Tonks, put we have her well in hand.”

“If she wakes up, you may wish to reconsider,” Tonks allowed generously.

“I’ll make sure your parents get a chance to meet her before the night is out,” Hermione promised in an undertone.






Standing beneath the main staircase, Harry directed the last of their guests towards the meeting. Mundungus Fletcher had been among them, looking just as creased and rumpled as always, but thankfully minus the stale beer smell which often pre-announced his presence. Feeling a sharp tug on his sleeve, Harry found himself staring into the saucer-like eyes of Dobby.

“The varlet is in that last group, no?” the house-elf whispered eagerly.

“Yes, Dobby, the gentleman in question is wearing a rather wrinkled khaki overcoat.”

“Dobby spotted him instantly, sir. He will not be out of Dobby’s sight all evening.”

“I don’t need to remind you to not draw any attention to yourself, though,” Harry cautioned gently.

“Dobby is an expert at tailing suspects, sir,” the elf announced proudly as he Disapparated with a hollow snap of his long fingers.

With a whispered thanks to Hagrid for assisting with the arriving guests, Harry replaced the magical locks and wards on the front door. Remus had issued very careful instructions in advance: any late-comers would need to Floo ahead to be admitted, no exceptions.

Hagrid located a seat near the rear table where Molly Weasley hovered protectively over the refreshments. She smiled broadly in Harry’s direction as he eased himself soundlessly into the chair next to Ginny and exchanged a few quick words with Ron and Hermione to the other side.

Clearing his throat for attention, Remus addressed the assemblage from the front of the room, “Welcome to my home.”

“Harry’s home, too,” was heard from the back of the room.

Remus’ eyes crinkled with amusement as he shared a private smile with Tonks in the front row. Raising his gaze towards the back of the room, he added, “As those of you who were kind enough to attend Ginny and Harry’s wedding a few weeks ago are already aware, this is their home also. Currently, the Lupin clan occupies the far wing, with the upper story of the main structure allotted to the Potters. True, the common areas are often taken over by my exuberant children, but I suspect that will not always be the case.” He waited for the chuckles to die down before continuing, “As you know, the Order of the Phoenix was disbanded once and for all following Voldemort’s defeat on this very estate. Although the roundup of renegade Death Eaters continued for months after, we felt this was a job best left to the Ministry’s Auror Division. Having achieved our objective, we unanimously decided to return to our private lives. This has not changed despite recent troubles. Since I am no longer the titular head of this band of ruffians, I will now turn this meeting over to Kingsley Shacklebolt.”

Remus took the seat next to Tonks which Kingsley had just vacated. All eyes were turned to Kingsley’s dark features as his deep voice poured forth, “Friends, guests, and former insurgents, welcome all. I have been asked to convene this unofficial meeting at the personal request of Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister for Magic, to address the recent falsehoods presented by one Dolores Umbridge, recently retired from her Ministry post. Although many of us felt that, without substantiation, such blatant lies would quickly fade, this has not been the case. Alas, the public consciousness is fickle, as I have been repeatedly reminded.”

“The public is an arse!” Hagrid boomed from the back to much laughter.

“I have no quarrel with that,” Kingsley acknowledged with a broad smile. “There isn’t anyone in public office who has not felt the same way at one time or another. Nevertheless, Umbridge’s lies are a slap in our faces -- and by extension, cast a shadow of doubt on Scrimgeour himself as he recognized so many of us with official commendations for our heroic efforts.

“Although the Minister’s office has a well-established public relations arm, currently headed by our own Percy Weasley…” A smattering of polite applause was directed towards Percy who was seated next to Arthur. “… it was suggested that perhaps this situation called for a more creative approach.”

“Haven’t found a way to shut that toad up, have you, Perce?” sounded forth.

“Not legally, no,” Percy admitted without chagrin.

“How about Reverse Veritaserum?” Fred suggested as he brazenly took to his feet.

“Pour it down her throat and she’ll accept the truth,” George finished with a devilish grin.

“What would keep the enemy from using such a thing to validate their twisted ideals?” challenged Mad-Eye Moody with a growl.

“Regrettably, such a potion might have the potential to be abused,” Minerva McGonagall added with concern. “Assuming such a thing was even possible. What do you say, Severus?”

Unfazed, Snape returned the stares all around him with the unblinking gaze of a poisonous spider in their midst. “It is not something I have researched, yet I can think of many beneficial applications.” With a curt nod towards Fred and George, he added, “If you gentlemen are successful in producing such a substance, let me be the first to tender a standing order. It would be ideally suited to my uphill battle against ignorance in the classroom.”

McGonagall pursed her lips in recrimination as Snape’s level glance dared her to ask for his input again.

Kingsley barely managed to mask a smirk as he took over the reins once more. “Perhaps something a tad less imaginative is called for. How can we counteract the wretched lies Ms. Umbridge has been spewing forth?”

Ron leaned across the back of Ginny’s chair to better whisper to Harry, “Did anyone suggest the simplest solution of all? Get the bloody cow before us in this room and dare her to deny the truth to our faces!”

“And such tactics worked so well for me,” Harry hissed with pointed sarcasm. “Don’t you remember the delightful detentions she set me in fifth year? Regular tattoo parlor, it was.”

“She can’t foist her dastardly quill upon anyone if we shackle her hands,” Ron suggested in return.

As Eleanor slept blissfully in her father’s arms, Hermione flashed them a reproachful look. Then speaking up loudly enough for the entire room to hear, she volunteered, “We need to put our tale before the public. Dare her to refute the truth, fact by painful fact.”

“The Minister attempted to do that,” Percy attested as he took to his feet. “Arranged for an interview with the Daily Prophet and everything. The story never ran. My requests for an explanation were ignored.”

Hermione nodded grimly; how well she remembered Rita Skeeter’s assertion that the Prophet’s main goal was to sell itself. “They’ve interviewed the Minister too many times,” she extrapolated. “They need a fresh voice to capture their readers’ attention.”

“Are you volunteering?” Kingsley posed.

With a slight blush, Hermione demurred, “Someone with a more interesting tale, perhaps. Someone who is not currently employed by the Ministry might be more appealing. Sorry, Harry.”

Amid tittering laughter, Harry commented in return, “None taken. Although my personal experience has demonstrated that the Prophet is particularly adept at twisting words into pretzels.”

“Run the interview in The Quibbler like we did before,” Luna put forth as her father echoed her sentiments.

“I can guarantee you full approval before publication,” Xenophilius promised.

“Not a bad idea,” Kingsley concurred. “Certainly worked before…”

“Begging your pardon,” McGonagall interjected. “The tactic you described worked well to re-establish Harry’s credibility among the Hogwarts’ students. It is not a model that should necessarily be applied to wizardkind as a whole.”

“All we have to do is capture the imagination of the adult community,” Xenophilius expounded. “They are the central core of The Quibbler’s readership. Harry was already a household name, guaranteed to sell copies. What we need is someone whose story is novel and engaging.” Luna whispered urgently into his ear. “Luna suggests that Remus’ facility with words makes him a natural choice.”

The air seemed to stand still in the entire room. Surely, Luna hadn’t meant it that way, Harry’s mind worked feverishly. But in her naiveté, she had not stopped to think that publishing a werewolf’s account in The Quibbler might have quite the opposite effect “ even though it unquestionably would appeal to their loyal readership.

Clearing his throat awkwardly, Remus slowly stood and turned to face everyone from his place on the front row. Smiling benignly in the Lovegoods’ direction, he attested in a diplomatic manner, “Despite your kind words, I have no desire to be in the public spotlight. I am…unsuited…to it.”

In the uncomfortable silence which followed, Tonks came to her husband’s rescue. “Say, Mad-Eye, haven’t you been threatening to unleash your memoirs for years?”

“Well, Moody certainly has a charismatic enough face for their cover,” Harry breathed to Ginny as she struggled to control her giggles.

“That’s true, lass,” Moody concurred as his magical eye swirled in all directions. “But I had hoped to parlay my adventures into a longer tale. Something with a more permanent shelf life.”

“Like a book,” Kingsley supplied with aplomb. “Such a strategy is not without merit. It all depends upon how soon such a thing can be published. Do you have an agent already lined up, Alastor?”

“Gave it up,” Moody rumbled. “Already had my hopes dashed. You can thank that pillock, Gilderoy Lockhart. Publishers aren’t so keen to accept factual accounts anymore. Can’t spare the personnel and expense needed to authenticate the tales, they say. More than happy to categorize it as fiction and provide a disclaimer, though. Makes all my hard work and risks seem meaningless.”

“Perhaps a tale full of redemption?” Xenophilius prompted. “Those are always popular. Someone made stronger by the adversity they’ve endured.”

Wordlessly, faces turned to look at Snape once again, although no one dared to voice their thoughts. Finally, Bill Weasley ventured softly, “Severus… yours is a heroic tale like no other, full of danger and inspiration.”

Without looking at anyone directly, Snape pronounced his verdict, “No.”

“Everyone loves an underdog,” Hermione issued with gentle persuasion.

Snape’s head shot up immediately, the anger blazing in his eyes tempered only by the unfaltering compassion in Hermione's. “For the first time in your life, you are quite mistaken, Miss Granger,” he asserted in his most formal tones. “Muggles like to root for the anti-hero; that is the only way they can glorify the small acts of valor in their own pathetic lives. I have found wizards are much more self-righteous.”

“Present company excluded?” Kingsley urged good-naturedly.

“That goes without saying,:” Snape supplied with silken disdain as he recalled the difficulties he’d endured getting his colleagues to accept his loyalty. “Find another sacrificial lamb. After eighteen years of my life donated to Dumbledore’s vision, it’s surprising I still have a personal life to reclaim.”

“Forgive me for stating the obvious,” Molly spoke up from her station at the back of the room. “But is not the purpose of the War Museum to present a factual account of our path to victory? Harry here sacrificed a major chink of his childhood as well as a townhouse to promote our actions and somehow it’s not enough?”

“Sentence Umbridge to a personal tour,” suggested an anonymous voice.

“With Percy as her personal guide!” Harry was fairly certain that came from one of the twins.

“In perpetuity!” provided Dedalus Diggle with a wry snigger.

“Very worthwhile suggestions “ without a legal precedent,” Percy proclaimed solemnly.

“What about the museum, though?” Arthur took up in his wife’s support. “I thought the Minister was behind the idea one hundred percent.”

“He is,” Kingsley confirmed. “We in the Order decided we wished to preserve our modesty and have it open quietly and without fanfare.”

“Perhaps we should reconsider!” Hestia Jones cried. “Umbridge will just make it look like we’re ashamed of our actions.”

There were enough murmurs of assent in the room to convince Kingsley this might just be a popular alternative. “The Ministry has a budget for such ceremonial events. Perhaps Percy could give us a bit more information.”

At Kingsley’s expansive gesture, Percy took to his feet and adjusted his glasses self-importantly. “I have staff who can put such an event together. At rather short notice, even. But it would be ideal if some of the former Order members agreed to make personal appearances. Something that would generate public interest. Regretfully, the Minister is hardly the most compelling speaker.” Percy seemed to relax noticeably in response to the appreciative chuckles.

“The Auror Department will provide security detail to the Minister as well as any other participants,” Kingsley reminded them. “No one need fear for their well being.”

“Just their privacy,” Remus muttered to no one in particular.

“Any volunteers?” Percy urged as he withdrew his ubiquitous notepad and self-inking quill.

“I think the youngest heroes would create the largest draw,” Mrs. Figg announced with a self-conscious smile.

Waiting for it, Harry caught the almost imperceptible signal that passed between Remus and Kingsley. This was it then: the hook by which they would measure Mundungus’ loyalty. Not needing another cue, Harry rose to his feet and proclaimed with an incandescent smile, “I’m willing to do my part, provided we schedule the event at the weekend.”

Hermione and Ron echoed their willingness to participate, followed in quick succession by Ginny.

“We’ll have to contact Neville somehow; he’s still combing the jungles of Thailand,” Luna remarked. “Can he even be persuaded to make such a long trip?”

“Perhaps if I couched it as a special request from his employer,” Snape volunteered. “He could hardly turn it down then.”

“Are you still that poor lad’s boggart, Severus?” Elphias Doge had the temerity to suggest loudly enough that the whole room was riveted.

“At least I’m not my wife’s,” Shape shot back without turning his head.

The absolute silence in the room was broken by a single loud chortle from Fred as George leaned over and patted Severus’ shoulder appreciatively and whispered, “Good one!”

Snape did his best to hide the persistent curl of his lip as the room broke out in laughter around him.

“You never told me your professor had such a rapier wit,” Xenophilius whispered to Luna. “ ‘His countenance is always as black as his frock coat,’ you always said.”

“Ssssh, Father! He was never like that in class.”

“We were always certain he would hex us before the year was out,” Harry whispered to appease Luna’s worried look.

“Don’t forget the persistent rumor that he would hasten our mastery of antidotes--” Hermione began.

“”by poisoning one of us to act as the control,” Ron finished with an avid nod.

“I understood we would be racing against the clock to prepare antidotes to our own individual poisons,” Ginny supplied.

Luna nodded sagely. “He said that way we would all be self-motivated but couldn’t cheat!”

Xenophilius looked at each of them in turn as if they might be taking the mickey out of him.

“That interchange you just witnessed would have gotten any of us a one-way ticket to Azkaban,” Harry assured Luna’s father. “After he’d hexed us within an inch of our lives and given us six weeks’ detention.”

“It wouldn’t have mattered that he out-cheeked the student, either,” Hermione attested solemnly.

By the time the meeting broke up, it had been decided that Tonks, Mad-Eye and Kingsley would also make personal appearances at the museum opening to represent the solidarity of the Anrors’ commitment in trying times. Harry thought it somewhat ironic as the Minister would never have tolerated their extra-curricular activities had he known about them at the time, but kept that wisely to himself. No need to tip Mundungus that the trap was being baited.
Seven: Insomnia by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Seven
Insomnia



“To think you passed up a chance to be the new cover-boy!” Ginny giggled as she poked Remus gleefully in the arm.

Remus buried his face in his hands and shook his head. Lifting playful eyes, he moaned, “How do I get myself backed into such corners?”

“Don’t make such a fuss,” Tonks commented wryly as she joined the merry group around the kitchen table. “You managed to side-step quite deftly.”

“Rather like a matador, I would say,” Harry ventured as he made a mock flourish with his arm, nearly spilling his half-filled mug in the process.

The pot of cocoa rattled ominously on the table as Tonks tried to levitate it towards her cup while her arm still shook with pent up laughter. With a tiny grunt, Remus lowered her wand in precaution and simply reached over to grab the handle manually.

“I’m just glad I didn’t offend Luna with my refusal,” Remus remarked.

“I’m certain she didn’t mean it…that way,” Harry attested.

“You mean the way everyone else took it?” Tonks teased.

“Luna has a good heart,” Ginny agreed. “She just idolizes her father…”

“… and in her eyes he’s a true visionary,” Remus finished.

“Well, you have to admit, he certainly sees things others overlook! Imaginary beasts and beings, for instance!” Tonks snorted.

“Can you imagine being ‘outed’ by The Quibbler?” Remus laughed heartily.

“A public stoning would be preferable,” Harry quipped.

“Unfortunately, that would follow!” Remus noted. “Once the mob dragged me from Hogwarts’ hallowed halls.”

“You don’t think Minerva would be able to argue your case before the Board of Governors?” Ginny supplied with a grin.

“There’s only so much back-pedaling she could do against the tide of ignorance.” Remus sighed in resignation, his previous merriment having fled.

Tonks laid a comforting hand on her husband’s shoulder. There was no use thinking about how tenuous everyone’s position in life was when you got down to it. “Come, it’s time I tucked you in just like the others,” she whispered in his ear. “Before the laughter wakes them up and they sneak back with their little mugs clasped in their hands like Oliver Twist.”

“Didn’t your folks make sure everyone got cocoa before bed?” Remus inquired as he slowly got to his feet.

“Yes, but that won’t stop them from demanding a second “ or third “ round!” Tonks asserted knowingly. “I had enough trouble getting them to calm down as it was.”

“Perhaps they’ll have a bit of a lie-in tomorrow,” Harry suggested with a wistful smile.

“If only,” Tonks whispered. “They’ll be pestering me bright and early to go to the Burrow now that they know Uncle Xeno lives just over the next rise.”

“He made quite an impression on them,” Ginny affirmed. “Spook’s eyes were fit to burst from his head at the vivid descriptions of fantastic beasts.”

“Victoire assured him such creatures grazed freely in the next pasture,” Remus noted with a roll of his eyes.

“Well, they’re bound to be disappointed when they discover nothing more than sheep and shaggy Shetland ponies,” Ginny confirmed sagely.

“Ponies?” Tonks paused to make sure she’d heard correctly. “Teddy may be disappointed, but Phoebe will be in heaven! I’ll be sure to owl Xeno tomorrow and see if we can visit before the December snows set in.”

“Ponies, for real?” Harry breathed to Ginny as the door shut quietly behind Remus and Tonks.

Flashing him a mischievous smirk, Ginny warned, “Both of us have outgrown them.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Harry protested.

Ginny demonstrated she’d know his import all along. “You were just hoping someone else would be the beast of burden for awhile.”

How many times had the children pestered him to assume his Animagus form just so they could ride on the back of a tame zebra? He could hardly refuse, especially knowing how Remus always indulged them when they found a secluded stretch of seashore. “Something like that,” Harry remarked as he drained the last of his cocoa. “Do you think she’ll be disappointed that ponies have no stripes?”

“I doubt it; they have spots instead,” Ginny proclaimed, pressing a tantalizing kiss to his temple as she dragged him to his feet.

With a flick of his wand, Harry deposited the used dishes in the sink for Dobby to see to in the morning. He could just as easily have finished the clean-up with a slightly more complex spell, but then he would offend the work ethic of house-elves the world over “ and he was not about to make that mistake again.

“Tell me this, Ginny,” Harry implored once they had reached the relative privacy of their own bedchamber. “Why didn’t you offer your services with the WWN this evening? I didn’t want to say anything in front of the others.”

“Isn’t it obvious?” she responded as she kicked off her shoes. Catching Harry’s expectant look, she elaborated, “This whole situation with that pig, Umbridge, is nothing but a turf war. It’s not news. The best thing is to just let it blow over.”

“That hasn’t really worked.”

“Some things are more persistent than others,” Ginny affirmed. “The bigger the lie, the bigger the following. Mum used to always say that to us when we were little.”

“Who would have ever figured Molly for a great philosopher?”

“Don’t tell Remus,” Ginny breathed with a giggle. “He’ll seek to engage her in esoteric debate and we’ll never get fed at the Burrow again!”

Harry chuckled appreciatively at the image. “So what would make it news?” he persisted.

“Something unique that no one has ever heard before,” Ginny shot back succinctly. “Not a rehash that just lends credence to the absurd.”

“You would’ve had a difficult time maintaining your journalistic integrity under Fudge’s tenure, don’t you think?”

“I shudder to think of it. But truthfully, Harry, the WWN reporters who do personal interviews are too caught up with the human interest angle to do this issue any good. We don’t need anyone else sympathizing with Umbridge.”

“What about sympathizing with us? The Order is the injured party here!”

“Assuming we could totally disregard my personal involvement, how much sympathy do you think a band of renegades who took matters into their own capable hands will generate?”

“People will support the ideals for which we fought…”

“That’s old news. Voldemort has been defeated. Unless you’re planning on doing a retrospective, how does it affect people now?”

“I see your point,” Harry conceded with a weary sigh as he flicked off the lights.

“Trust me, I won’t hesitate to pounce on a news story when it materializes. But until then, I have to allow others to work their particular brand of magic.”






It seemed like it was only minutes later that he was being shaken awake.

“Please, Harry Potter, sir, I didn’t know where else to turn!”

In a sleepy fog, Harry felt for his glasses on the nightstand then focused on the stricken face of the house-elf hovering at his bedside.

“What is it, Dobby?” he croaked, swallowing the inclination to add, ‘What is it that requires you to wake me up in the middle of the bloody night?’ as he noticed the elf was wringing his little hands in distress. “Is it anything to do with the gentleman you followed tonight?”

“No, Master. Mister ‘Dung left the premises immediately after the meeting. He looked everything over with his dingy little eyes, but nothing accompanied him home in his pockets. Dobby is certain of that.” Dobby hesitated as he looked feverishly at Ginny’s still sleeping form. “It’s Mistress Phoebe, sir, she’s not in her bed and her mother would be most aggrieved.”

“I’m sure Remus or Tonks would prefer if you alerted them, Dobby.”

Dobby nodded his head morosely. “Of course! But their door is warded; Dobby would be overstepping himself if he barged in. Harry Potter does not seal his bedroom with personal magic.”

Harry sighed as he carefully eased himself out of bed and slipped his feet into warm slippers. There was no point in arguing with a distraught house-elf. Remus would just have to give Dobby clearer instructions in the future. He found his quilted dressing gown waiting for him as the elf obligingly levitated it within easy reach. Belting it tightly against the winter chill, Harry soundlessly herded the elf out into the short hallway and down the stairs.

The main area of the house was even colder than the hallway. Harry suppressed an involuntary shiver as he surveyed a surreal world rendered in shades of violet and lavender. Only a quarter moon tonight, he noted by rote.

Now that he was less likely to disturb Ginny, Harry whispered with concern, “Dobby, do you always check up on the children while they sleep? You’re entitled to sleep yourself, you know. Your body demands it and we don’t expect ‘round the clock vigilance.”

Dobby nodded, his protuberant eyes shadowed with misery. “I wake up when one of my charges is outside the perimeter. It’s something house-elves do instinctively. It has not happened before.”

“Where exactly is Phoebe?” Harry posed as he felt the first tingling of unease in the pit of his stomach.

“In the back garden. The walled area that adjoins Master Remus’ suite.”

“Outside in the cold? You just left her there!” Harry gasped. Remus would have gone ballistic if it had been a full moon.

“No! No! Dobby covered her with a warming charm. But it is not wise to wake a sleepwalking child…”

“Then how do they return to their beds?”

Dobby’s large eyes expanded even wider as the error in his reasoning became clear. His tiny chest heaved with a large sob as he anticipated his Master’s displeasure.

“Now, now,” Harry soothed. “Remus won’t eat you alive over this. But we really should go wake him.” Dobby made as if to protest, but Harry insisted, “I’ll take responsibility for knocking him up; you stand watch over Phoebe.”

“Harry Potter is very brave!” Dobby cried in gratitude.

“Rubbish. I’ve just faced Remus down before and lived to tell the tale.”

With a deep bow, Dobby Disapparated to his assigned station, leaving Harry to wind his way carefully among the unfamiliar lumps in the main drawing room. The short hallway leading past the children’s rooms was easier to navigate as it was clear of furniture except for a small decorative chest at the far end which was easy enough to avoid. He didn’t dare light his wand tip and disturb Teddy who was a notoriously light sleeper. Before making the turn at the end of the corridor, Harry sent a silent Muffliato in the direction of the lad’s door as an extra precaution.

The air temperature dropped noticeably as he traversed the long bank of windows lining the hallway before the master suite. The avenue of yew trees adorning the adjacent path had transformed into skeletal hands of deepest black against the night sky, threatening to crush the inhabitants of the wooden house without a spare thought. No doubt about it, if Spook managed to sneak up on him right now, Harry’s heart was likely to seize permanently.

Turning his back on the indistinct shapes that seemed to dwell among the shrubs, Harry raised his fist to knock soundly on the double doors before him. “Remus!” he whispered with his lips pressed to the joint. “Please wake up! Dobby didn’t dare disturb you.”

Almost instantly, Harry heard the padding of feet on the other side of the thick door. Lupine paws creeping stealthily upon their prey, Harry’s overwrought imagination whispered even though it was not a full moon.

Harry nearly lost his balance as the carved door silently opened inward to reveal Remus’ rumpled features. Instantly alert, Remus quickly checked the hallway in both directions before pulling Harry inside and lighting the wall brackets in one swift motion.

“Are we under attack?” he breathed in Harry’s ear as Tonks issued a dreamy sigh before drifting off to sleep once more. Harry looked down at the hand gripping his upper arm like a vise, betraying an inner tension Remus’ carefully modulated voice did not.

“Nothing as dreadful as that,” Harry assured him with a small curl of a smile. “Dobby was afraid to anger you by invading your personal wards.”

Remus’ brow furrowed in bemusement. “When have I ever been cross with him?”

“I’m sure I don’t know, but apparently his former master was less forgiving.”

“Ah, of course. Malfoy taking out his frustrations on the defenseless. How very manly of him.”

Harry broke into a grin at Remus’ sarcasm. “Nor is it a full moon. Any other personal boggarts I don’t know about?”

“Very funny. You don’t strike me as the type to have a midnight yen for Muggle pizza like Sirius, so what’s up?”

“Dobby found Phoebe sleepwalking in the garden,” Harry began as Remus dashed out the door without waiting for anything else. With a weary grimace, Harry grabbed the man’s dressing gown and followed after him.

In the shadowy gallery, he directed Remus through the French doors that opened into a small brick-walled patio. The flagstones glistened like square puddles in the moonlight, the natural variations in the stones giving each a unique shading.

Dobby looked up expectantly and then took a step back as he sensed their urgency. Remus was still shrugging his shoulders into the dressing gown, the ties forgotten and flapping behind him like a set of dorsal wings. Wordlessly, he scooped up the small child curled upon the delicate wooden bench. The effectiveness of Dobby’s warming spell was evident by the pink soles of her tiny feet poking out from under the white flannel.

The solemn procession returned indoors with Dobby trailing dismally behind. His large ears drooped sadly as he conjured Remus’ fur-lined slippers in his long fingers and passed them silently forward to Harry. Tonks was waiting for them at the open doors to the master suite, wrapped tightly in a fuzzy white robe that left most of her legs uncovered.

“What happened?” she whispered as she fell into step beside her husband.

“Sleepwalking,” Remus breathed without turning his head as he marched resolutely down the corridor leading to his daughter’s room. Not another word was spoken until Phoebe was tucked securely into her warm bed and Tonks was satisfied the new proximity warning they’d added to the door would alert them the second her tiny feet crossed the threshold. Phoebe had not stirred during the whole incident other than to snuggle into the deep quilt and curl her hand under her pillow more securely.

Once returned to the welcoming confines of the kitchen, Tonks put a kettle on while Remus addressed Dobby directly. “I’m not mad at you, Dobby,” he admitted in a patient tone of voice. “I was concerned, panic coloring my features more harshly than I would have liked.”

Dobby nodded without looking up from his knobby knees.

“Here, have some tea, Dobby,” Tonks offered as she pressed a child-sized mug in the elf’s trembling hands.

“You should not be doing that,” Dobby scolded immediately, then relented and perched dejectedly on a tall wooden stool. “Dobby is to be replaced?”

“No, it was just a misunderstanding,” Remus soothed. “I’m at fault for not making my wishes known more clearly.”

“Master Remus is not wanting the Spook to slink into his bedchamber at night.” Dobby’s head bobbed knowingly. “Dobby understands.”

“Well, yes,” Remus noted with a sheepish grin. “He’s uncanny enough in the daylight. Can you imagine him at night?”

“Smelling salts all around,” Dobby opined solemnly.

“At the very least!” Tonks supplied with a chuckle. “Why don’t you go off to bed, Dobby? Morning will come soon enough.”

“What if Dobby’s services are needed in the kitchen?” the elf proposed uncertainly.

“The world would conclude that a grown man such as Harry was unable to forage for his own midnight snack,” Remus noted wryly. “His reputation would never recover.”

“Why do I always have to be the scapegoat?” Harry cried with mock indignation.

“Because I’m handier with a ready hex!” Tonks shot back.

“Not that you have any place to hide a wand, cherub,” Remus observed as his eyes washed over her ardently. Wrenching his attention back to Dobby, Remus whispered, “You wouldn’t want to displease me by arguing about your bedtime, now would you?”

With a quick look at the stern faces around him, Dobby Disapparated with a resounding pop.






Harry padded up the stairs to his own bed, the taste of tea with lemon still lingering on his lips. The thick covers had been thrown back and Ginny’s auburn mane was no longer splayed across the pillows. He found her leaning against the window that faced the rear of the house. The cool moonlight streaming through the diaphanous folds of her gown gave her an ethereal appearance as if she had been carved of marble.

The illusion was broken when she inquired, “Crisis averted?”

Harry nodded. “She didn’t even wake up as we tucked her into bed.”

“Remus would have woken the entire village if it had been a full moon.”

“You should’ve stayed in bed,” he whispered as he drew his arm around her waist.

“He won’t be able to get back to sleep,” Ginny observed, her eyes drawn to the indistinct shadows on the back patio.

Following her line of sight, it took Harry’s eyes a few moments to distinguish what had drawn her attention. “What’s he doing out there?” he cried as he recognized Remus’ silhouette seated in one of the garden chairs. The figure turned its face to look up at the heavens after taking a long drink from its mug.

“He’s communing with James and Sirius would be my guess,” Ginny commented.

“He’ll have icicles dangling from his sleeves at this rate!”

“He doesn’t feel the cold like we do. Different metabolism. Or so he told Ron and me when we found him reading a book by the dying embers at the Burrow. Sacred me half to death when I tried to sneak past him.” With a small nostalgic smile, she added, “Luckily, he was usually in the mood for a midnight snack as well.”

“Did that prompt him to go back to bed?”

“Not always, but many times Dad came downstairs himself and kept Remus company. I remember falling asleep many times with a full tummy and the soft drone of their whispered conversation in the background.”

“So this is normal behavior for him, you’re saying?”

Ginny shrugged inconclusively. “Dad told us that the Order members had often been woken to duty in the middle of the night during Voldemort’s first bid for power. Remus, it seemed, learned to jerk instantly awake. Falling back to sleep, however, was a different matter.”

“He hasn’t been able to readjust after all these years?”

Ginny gave him a small cryptic smile. “So Dad claimed; it isn’t necessarily the whole story.”

Harry nodded sagely. If there’s one thing he’d learned, it was that there was always more going on with Remus than he allowed the world, or even his family, to see.

‘Surely, a Healer would--”

“Remus has never been one to just grab a potion from the medicine cabinet, you know that. Not now, not then.”

Had Remus been curled up in front of the hearth, Harry would have hardly been concerned. But it was almost winter, for Merlin’s sake. Instantly, Harry made his decision.

“Go back to bed, Gin. You have a Saturday shift tomorrow, even if it’s just a half-day. I can lie in until noon if need be.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Heat the flagstones for a brainless werewolf!”

“Here, take this,” she suggested as she handed him the afghan she had wrapped around her shoulders to ward off the chill.

Harry ran his hand appreciatively across the soft mohair yarn, the cornflower blue color that so complimented Ginny’s hair muted to an indistinct grey. It had been one of the first things he’d bought her on their honeymoon.

“An overcoat would make more sense,” Harry argued.

“He won’t accept that; but make sure you follow your own advice,” she implored as she gave him a quick kiss.






Harry eased himself out the kitchen door before hastily replacing the nighttime wards. Even bundled in his winter overcoat, the cold seemed to rise from the very ground and work its way past his bare ankles and up the loose legs of his pajamas. He redoubled his efforts to cast a warming charm on the flagstones until he saw the first tendrils of steam rising from the joints. Next he manipulated the Protego charm so it expanded to form a fragile bubble enclosing the elliptical patio area. At least that would help to keep the heat from simply dissipating into the atmosphere.

“It’s not necessary to go to all that trouble just for me,” Remus noted dryly from where he sat at the wrought iron table.

“Self-preservation,” Harry corrected.

“If you were intent on that, you would have stayed inside.”

“If you weren’t such a thoughtless berk, I would have! Here, Ginny insisted on sharing this with you,” he added as he draped the mohair wrap across Remus’ shoulders.

A deep chuckle issued from Remus’ throat as he buried his hands in the soft yarn.

“Reading the stars?” Harry nodded towards the velvety expanse of the night sky before them.

“Never had the pleasure of taking Firenze’s Divination course,” Remus admitted. “You?”

“Only for a few months. Rather had my fill of prophecy, if you know what I mean.”

“Do I ever.” Remus grinned as he directed his wand in the direction of the metal chair Harry was just pulling out. “Didn’t want you to catapult yourself into orbit.”

“My backside thanks you,” Harry retorted as he swung himself into the chair with a small grunt. “Let me return the favor, “ he added as he drew forth a bottle of leftover mulled mead. Easing the cork open, he briefly heated the contents before pouring some into Remus’ empty tea mug.

“Quite an improvement.” Remus sniffed appreciatively at the slowly curling wisps of steam before taking a tentative swallow. “How did I manage to miss this among the refreshments?”

“It was in the wassail bowl.”

“Ah, yes. Where the twins were hovering.”

“Their reputation does precede them,” Harry acknowledged with a dry chuckle. “This was an unopened bottle I found in the kitchen.”

“Self-preservation indeed.” Remus held his mug up in a toast towards the brightest star on the horizon.

Recognizing the unspoken homage to Sirius, Harry’s eyes were drawn involuntarily towards the black chasm on the other side of the patio. The site of his father’s last stand. Or so Bellatrix Lestrange had ranted, although he’d been unable to confirm she’d actually been present on the night of Voldemort’s attack. They had decided against erecting any sort of memorial plaque, preferring to leave the concrete pond cracked and empty in tribute to James’ sacrifice. Despite the dark maw yawning in the moonlight, the pond was no more than a foot deep and was unlikely to be a menace during the day.

“Do you feel more closely connected to those who have gone before or just insignificant before the vastness of the cosmos?” Harry posed.

“Neither. I find the serenity strangely calming. As if, for a few moments, I can slip outside my existence. Does that seem strange to you?”

“You’re being wooed by the moon, my Aunt Petunia would say. Right before launching into an extensive tirade on the origins of the word ‘lunacy’.”

“Despite her Muggle leanings, she might not be so far off the mark in my case,” Remus allowed ruefully. “No potion will ever quell the pull of the moon I feel coursing through me “ even though I choose to ignore it.”

Harry recalled how Remus had once confided that he could always tell the moon phase, without a calendar, without a view of the outside world. He might have been imprisoned in the dankest subterranean cavern for months on end and his bones would still know. With that memory came the realization of why Remus was unable to go back to sleep.

“You’re worried about Phoebe’s sleepwalking, aren’t you?”

“I wouldn’t have been if she’d stayed inside the house. Andromeda told me Tonks was much the same as a child; they would find her curled up next to her dollhouse in the playroom or cuddling the dog in his wicker basket under the kitchen table. Any place where she could find some solace in the stillness of the night when the world around her didn’t want to be disturbed.”

“What would draw Phoebe into the garden?”

“That’s what puzzles me.” Remus sighed heavily. “And then there’s Spook…”

“He didn’t wake up, did he?”

Remus shook his head grimly. “He’s just so curious about everything, Harry. Every blade of grass, every overturned pebble, nothing escapes his scrutiny. What if he climbs out of bed…”

“He’d have to be a self-levitating cat to climb out those bedroom windows,” Harry attested, visualizing the long row of shallow casements that met the ceiling in each of the children’s rooms. The design was ideal to bathe the room in light without giving rise to unnecessary safety issues.

“What’s to keep him from finding another escape route? Even without a Marauder’s Map.”

Gazing into the hollowness of Remus’ expression, it all made sudden sense. He was recalling that fateful night from his own past when the child had been drawn to explore by the intoxicating rays of the full moon. Harry had never known the exact details, had never felt the need to pry into such a painful memory; yet it was all laid out in the haunted depths of Remus’ eyes. And Teddy was so very like his father.

“It will never come to pass,” Harry confirmed with a vehemence that caught him momentarily off-guard. “The grounds are protected with a Fidelius Charm on those nights; Tonks sets it herself. Who can get past gates they can’t see?”

“James and Lily--”

“Had other enemies; powerful, vindictive ones! In a war that is over, Remus. Anyone who might wish you harm is in Azkaban. And that includes Fenrir Greyback.”

“Even with Tonks as temporary Secret-Keeper, I can’t help but worry,” Remus replied morosely. “They’re protected from the beast outside, but what about the beast within? Ordinary spells just bounce off a werewolf’s hide.”

They’d gone over this many times before, but it was clear Remus needed some reassuring. “In the unlikely event something went wrong with your potion, and in the even more unlikely event that your bones didn’t sound an internal alarm, I promise you none of us would have any compunctions about tossing your vexatious body beyond the confines of the charm.”

“Where I could not turn back and attack anew,” Remus confirmed with grim satisfaction. Catching Harry’s concerned furrow, he added, “You’ll better understand when you have children of your own.”

“I understand enough,” Harry continued in a more modulated tone. “Things won’t seem so bleak in the morning. In the meanwhile, you shouldn’t feel obligated to stand as a lone sentinel against the world at large.”

“Are you planning to leave me to my lunacy?” Remus retorted.

“No. At this point, the term would have to apply to both of us!” Harry insisted as he re-warmed the mead before pouring generous portions into both mugs. Taking a long swallow, he felt the glow spread pleasantly to his extremities. “Though I warn you, I haven’t much practice against an army of heliopaths.”

“They can only attack during daylight hours,” Remus scoffed.

“Are you certain?”

“My delusions, my rules,” Remus shot back with a playful smirk.

“What delusions were you guarding against with all the personal wards on your bedroom? Dobby was thoroughly confused.”

“You don’t set a privacy charm before…retiring?” Remus ventured hesitantly.

“No, but my room is on the other side of the house from yours.”

“And you don’t have children sleeping down the hall, either.”

“No, but even so…Why is this such an issue with you?”

“I forgot once. Sirius ribbed me incessantly.”

“Knowing what he was like in his youth! I’m surprised he wasn’t too preoccupied to listen.”

“It was later…” Remus admitted, self-consciously staring into his mug.

“How much later?” Harry prodded, allowing that the mead had made him more reckless than was strictly polite.

Remus took a long, fortifying swallow before responding, “At Grimmauld Place…I was with Tonks.” Catching the amusement dancing in Harry’s eyes, Remus felt the color rising to his face. “It wasn’t so funny at the time.”

Not to you, Harry thought inwardly. Recalling how Sirius had chafed at being restricted to that dreary townhouse, had the man turned discreetly away from the racy wireless drama playing out in the next room -- or had he pressed his ear to the wall? Of their own volition, the words tumbled out of Harry’s mouth, “It’s a wonder Sirius didn’t demand to be included!”

For the smallest moment, Remus’ eyes registered shock but then he threw back his head and laughed outright. “I suppose Tonks being his cousin was the only thing saving me!”

Harry waited until he was able to catch his breath before venturing, “Is that why you never said anything to me…about Ginny, that is?”

“Why would I? I’ve seen you cast a Muffliato charm hundreds of times!” Remus chortled.

“That’s not what I meant!” Taking a deep breath, Harry amended, “I meant it as a serious question.” Suddenly on the spot, he felt the air leave his lungs without any intention of returning.

“Why does it matter?”

“I suppose it doesn’t….now.” Harry stared down at the wedding band on his hand and berated himself for feeling like an errant schoolboy. “It’s just something I’ve always wondered,” he mumbled.

“Were you expecting me to knock on your door and offer you some pointers?” Remus replied mercilessly.

Harry shook his head in defeat, hoping vainly that the motion would ease some of the embarrassment from his cheeks. Stars, they’d been tiptoeing around the ruddy hippogriff in the room for years, why should it totally unnerve him to acknowledge it? “I suppose I deserved that for the remark about Sirius…” he muttered.

“It was a non-issue, Harry. You and Ginny were both of age and it seemed pointless to condemn you to meeting at the Three Broomsticks when half of this house is yours. I suppose I might have objected if you’d had a revolving door like Sirius once did…But it was clear you were both committed to one another in your own way. Not to mention that I didn’t want to come across as a hypocrite in front of my own children.”

“You think you might have felt differently if it were Teddy or Phoebe?”

“Merlin, I hope not! Tonks would never forgive me if I turned into a desiccated old prune with opinions to match.” Giving Harry an indulgent smile, Remus admitted, “Just so you know, I’d be mortified if you repeated that bit about Sirius overhearing.”

“Who am I going to tell? Tonks was there and it’s hardly the sort of thing I would recount to Ginny.”

“Ron?”

“He’d laugh too much “ and then ask for more details,” Harry admitted with a chuckle of his own. “Best you tell him yourself.”

“Perhaps when we’re old and grey. Snape?”

“I’m not on such good terms with him as you are.”

“Still you have to admit, he’d relish having that sort of ammunition,” Remus considered in a thoughtful tone. “Probably trot it out as proof that I didn’t know when to keep my mouth shut. He’s been doing variations on that theme for years.”

“Really?” Harry sniggered. “A man with so many eccentricities of his own should trend more carefully. What exactly did he say to you?”

Remus shrugged noncommittally. “There was the one time at the teacher’s table when he said something to the effect that I must be at a loss when I’m alone. That I probably talked to myself in the shower. To which I replied, ‘Really, Severus, everyone knows people talk to themselves in the mirror; the shower is for singing.’

“ ‘Spoken like a man who’s familiar with both,’ he replied acerbically.

“ ‘I’m not above humming a bit of Gilbert and Sullivan on occasion. Pirates of Penzance, perhaps.’

“Before he could zero in for the kill, though, his wife, Rolanda, leans over and whispers, ‘Severus prefers Puccini.’

“ ‘Turandot, no doubt.’ I nodded sagely, picturing how hard-pressed he’d be to get those heavy brocade robes to billow menacingly.”

“Madame Butterfly,” Harry supplied with a snigger.

“Tonks whispered much the same as she joined the conversation. It was only later that I realized she hadn’t really said that at all. What she’d said was, ‘A regular M. Butterfly, he is.’” At Harry’s blank expression, Remus elaborated, “M. Butterfly, as in Monsieur Butterfly, is a totally different production. Tonks took me to see it in the West End before we were married. It’s about a clueless French diplomat who has a long-time affair with a dainty Oriental cross-dresser.”

Harry laughed uproariously. “The one where he claims to not have known?”

“Exactly. You can see why people bought tickets simply to fathom how this could be. So there I am in my office, alone, and laughing my fool head off as Tonks’ comment finally hits home. All I can think about is Neville’s boggart coming out of that wardrobe--”

“”only he’s dressed as a geisha instead.”

“A rather unattractive geisha, I might add!”

“No need for the pasty make-up, though,” Harry squeaked out between his laughter. “Remus, perhaps you should share that one with Neville.”

“You think I can trust him not to let on to Snape directly?”

“Perhaps not,” Harry conceded with a humorous twist to his mouth. “What was the conclusion about the diplomat?”

Remus’ face split into the Marauder’s grin. “Language barrier.”

Ginny’s going to think we’ve lost our minds, Harry thought as he doubled up with laughter. Hopefully, she’d heeded his advice to get some sleep and was no longer peering at them through the window sheers.

“What did you add to the wine?” Remus posed as he squinted at the last half inch of golden liquid remaining in the bottle.

“I didn’t drug it, if that’s what you mean,” Harry assured him as he divided the last portion between their two mugs. “Nothing more than a few drops of clove oil. I thought it improved the flavor, didn’t you?”

“Most definitely; but my eyelids are beginning to droop.”

Harry nodded that he felt much the same. “Ginny said her mother swore by it when they were little. Said that bunk about warm milk was grossly overrated.”

“Molly’s unique brand of deviousness never ceases to amaze me,” Remus acknowledged as he rose rather shakily from the table and turned to go back inside the house.

At the door, he turned back to Harry. “Tonks has some fairly graphic manuals if you’d like to borrow them.” With an irreverent twinkle in his eye, he added, “Minerva did promise you could select your own avenues of study.”

Feeling self-conscious all over again, Harry moaned, “Aren’t you ever caught short without a reply, Professor?”

With a self-depreciating chuckle, Remus conceded, “All the time; I just refuse to show it.”

“Let others throw in the towel?”

“Something like that.”
Eight: A Respite in the Weather by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Eight
A Respite in the Weather




Having tested their mettle with a soft dusting of snow the night before, a frosty winter sun shone forth that morning. By nine, the last wisps of snow had melted into the ancient cracked sidewalks surrounding Grimmauld Place. Leaden clouds promising a more enduring display hung poised on the horizon, held back by the sheer force of will of those dedicated Ministry employees who had worked tirelessly to organize the day’s activities.

“Right this way, ladies and gentlemen!” Percy Weasley was at his obsequious best, his Ministry robes starched so crisply it was a wonder they didn’t flap like sails on a schooner.

Nimbly, he directed the small group of important guests towards the wooden bleachers which had been cleverly erected for the Minister’s speech. Bearing in mind the townhouse was sandwiched in a Muggle neighborhood, a small stage had been situated at the rear of the house, covering much of the overgrown brick patio. The elevated seating actually straddled the fence bordering Mrs. Figg’s property, allowing guests to Apparate directly into her heavily wooded side yard so as not to create a disturbance on the sidewalk. As an extra precaution, Ministry employees were posing as paving crews and sanitation workers along the adjoining streets in order to further divert traffic.

Percy barely managed to scamper back to his post at the open gate before he was called upon to assist an entourage of several ancient matriarchs. Quick reflexes prevented him from colliding with one of the WWN crew who was double-checking the connections for the live coverage of the dedication ceremony. Like glistening fish beneath the surface of a frozen pond, the catering crew was intent on setting up a lavish buffet inside the glass solarium which had been refurbished to exacting Victorian standards in preparation for this event.

Raised voices near the spot where wands were being tagged according to standard Ministry procedures drew Percy’s narrowed eyes. Nothing out of the ordinary there, he decided, just an elderly gent who was convinced they were trying to confiscate his wand instead of just weighing it. A common misconception among citizens who had never had cause to visit the Ministry of Magic in person.

Little by little, the assembled crowd grew to cover the reviewing stands with a living quilt of boisterous colors, murmurs of anticipation growing to a fever pitch as they awaited the show. As the last chime of the noon hour reverberated within the narrow confines of number twelve, attendants pulled open the double doors to the solarium and Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister for Magic, strode pompously towards the podium.





“There’s really no need to stand so far away from the windows,” Luna chided. “They’ve been coated with a reflective surface on the outside.” At Harry’s doubtful expression, she added, “No silhouette will show. Not during daylight hours, not even when back-lighted at night.”

“Forgive me for not wanting to be an easy target,” Harry retorted with a nervous smile.

He barely hazarded a glance towards the skies; he was more concerned with the stark outlines of the armed guards who stood, watchful and silent, on the surrounding rooflines. Everyone who could be seen was nothing more than a decoy, placed there to give the public a sense of security among the tightly packed group of dignitaries. The true sharpshooters -- to steal a phrase from the Muggle Westerns favored by his cousin, Dudley -- were cleverly spelled by a Disillusionment Charm to blend in with their surroundings like human chameleons. No need to worry about camouflaging their shadows today, as hazy clouds had suffused the weak sunlight by the time the guests started arriving.

“I’ll alert the guards that the shooting gallery won’t be operational until after the refreshments,” Mad-Eye Moody grumbled from the doorway as he gave them a disconcerting wink with this non-magical eye. “I’m joining the others in the green room, if you need me.”

“That’s fine, Alastor,” Mrs. Figg returned. “The Apparition bubble near the door has already been tested; you should have no resistance launching from there.”

“Too much effing fanfare, if you ask me,” Moody groused under his breath as his wooden leg clunked down the staircase towards the ground floor.

“I was hoping to see Neville,” Harry ventured as he took a few tentative steps towards the tall attic windows. He had a bird’s eye view of the stage as well as the teaming spectators. Belatedly, he regretted not bringing Omnioculars for a bit of people-watching.

“He’ll be here soon,” Luna assured him as she stood shoulder to shoulder. “I didn’t think his invitation to take morning tea with Minerva would delay him this long; but you know how passionate he gets about her private garden.”

Harry chuckled in appreciation. “He won’t have to Apparate into the middle of this mess, will he?”

Mrs. Figg shook her head indulgently. “We made sure to pin the extra curator’s badge securely to his robes before he Flooed out this morning. He’ll be able to return via the hearth in the master suite.”

“All other Floos have been disconnected since we first opened our doors to the public,” Luna supplied with a dreamy nod. “Oh look, Figgy, there’s Scrimgeour himself strutting towards the stage. It must be time.”

“If you don’t mind, I’ll just watch from the relative safety of this desk chair,” Mrs. Figg allowed. “I’m not one to launch myself from a balcony astride a broom, thank you very much.”

“You and Tonks, both.” Luna sighed. “Couldn’t get her to join us up here at all this morning.”

“I think she prefers pacing backstage and going over her mental costume changes,” Harry observed with a wry laugh. “The crew in charge of the presentation were regaling her with their ill-conceived ideas when I left her in their capable hands.”

“Do you think we’ll be called upon to reverse any curses?” Luna giggled impishly.

“Not if Mad-Eye gets there first!” Harry shot back with a snigger.

A sharp crackle issued from the snow globe which had been configured to provide them with an audio feed. Amid the swirling bits of glitter surrounding a miniature Westminster Cathedral, Scrimgeour’s voice intoned, “Wizards, witches and honored dignitaries: welcome. Today’s events are only the tail end of a project that began many years ago with the vision of a small group of dedicated witches and wizards. Heroes in every sense of the word, many giving their lives so the wizarding world could rise from the ashes once again. Like the venerable phoenix who is no longer with us, Albus Dumbledore did not live to see this day. But he would have been proud of the private citizens who saw to it that his dreams did not die with him. Many were his former students, full of idealism; some were veterans of earlier skirmishes which had failed to end the war once and for all. We owe them our freedom, ladies and gentlemen. The biting air we take into our lungs is no longer tainted with shadow due to their valiant efforts.

“But it was a long and bitter struggle, punctuated with many sacrifices along the way. No one’s efforts were too small to be insignificant. And despite their humble protests, this edifice behind me which once served as their clandestine headquarters has been lovingly refitted as a museum to commemorate each small step which led to victory. Believe me, they are not a group who seeks the public limelight and it took a fair bit of persuasion to entice some of these heroes to be with us for today’s dedication.

“So without further tongue-wagging on my part, I present one of the senior veterans of the former Order of the Phoenix, Alastor Moody.”

As Scrimgeour backed away towards the rear of the stage, a deft motion by one of the stage hands Vanished the podium in a dramatic puff of white smoke. Instead of dissipating into the atmosphere, the wispy tendrils swirled into strangely pulsing shapes, restless and beguiling at the same time.

With a sharp cough, grizzled hands waved the smoke aside impatiently as Mad-Eye stepped through to a sharp intake of breath among the onlookers. His magical eye surveyed the crowds in a dizzying manner as he silently encouraged them to get a good look at his ravaged physique. With one last swat at a persistent patch of smoke, he coughed loudly enough to be heard in the back row.

“I told them backstage I’d given up smoking years ago,” he growled amicably as the audience broke out in laughter. Having won them over, his fierce glower no longer seemed like anything other than his natural expression. “Despite my outward appearance, this was not a one person fight against a band of militant banshees,” he proclaimed with vigor. “I spent many a year chasing down dark wizards in the Auror Department before joining forces with a more youthful crowd. As a matter of fact, some of my former trainees have come to eclipse me with their unique talents. One such is Kingsley Shacklebolt, the current department head.” With a wave of his gnarled walking stick, Moody turned sideways as he motioned towards the back of the stage.

At first nothing happened, but little by little gusts of wind started to snap at the spectators’ scarves and hats, the skirting along the edge of the stage rustling ominously.
Dust motes that had settled to the ground after Moody’s entrance came to life once more, swarming faster and faster into a small wind spout that hovered at mid-stage. With a mighty crack, the funnel was gone and Kingsley stood tall and proud in its wake.

“Hard to believe that very man regularly sneaks up on his co-workers,” Harry noted dryly at the over-blown special effects.

Applause greeted Kingsley as he assumed a wide-legged stance in polished black boots which contrasted sharply with tan trousers and a flowing dark blue Auror’s cloak. The distinctive shape of the Order of Merlin shone against the simple lines of his short, belted jacket. Not that any of them had ever worn such militaristic trappings; the standard Auror dress was nothing more than an official Ministry-type robe over Muggle street clothing. Nothing too ragged or trendy unless one was undercover. But this was theatre, Harry reminded himself, and the crowd was eating it up.

A wide grin split Kingsley’s dark features as he leaned over to address the crowd in a practiced stage whisper, “I may be in charge these days, but Moody here is still the star attraction at all the cocktail parties. It’s his adventures they clamor to hear, not my pedantic reports on exploding toilets and rampaging garden gnomes.”

“Don’t forget the gang of demonic house-elves, all dressed in black leather,” Moody prompted.

“Turned out to be a bunch of Muggle schoolmates sporting their rugby jackets, the eldest no more than ten or twelve,” Kingsley confided to much laughter. “But we wouldn’t want you to think we were just a pack of male elitists. Moody has long been an avid bird-watcher, so it came as no surprise when he introduced us to his star protégé…”

Amid the expectant hush, Tonks Apparated silently at the rear of the stage with her back to the audience. She was dressed much as she had been when Harry had first met her: a sweatshirt with a rock band’s advert, artfully torn jeans that hugged her legs, and bright purple combat boots. Harry caught just a flash of her wicked smile before she whipped around and looked about her in mock consternation.

“…who still seems to have a problem with Stealth and Tracking,” Moody finished over the chuckles and belly-laughs. “Tonks is undercover today,” he explained. “Totally blends in with the Muggles luxuriating in the park among the pigeons.”

Harry’s sharp eyesight noticed she had just added a number of rather garish ear piercings.

“No one would give her a second look except to chat her up,” Kingsley took up the narrative. “Never realizing her deadly accuracy with a wand and a ready hex.”

Tonks drew her wand from her sleeve with practiced ease as she scrunched up her pert nose briefly “ and then turned her hair a bright bubble-gum pink. The audience ooh’d on cue.

“I’m going off duty, mates,” Tonks announced as she sauntered over. “Hold this for me while I tie my laces,” she instructed Kingsley as she tucked her wand visibly into his top jacket pocket.

Kingsley shared a slightly perplexed look with the audience as Moody conjured a small footstool with a lazy flick of his wand.

Tonks nodded her thanks as she placed her boot on the seat and bent over it intently. “Fancy hoisting a few at the pub?” she posed, looking up at each of them in turn. “Can’t wait to get out of these work clothes,” she moaned as she righted herself and stretched her arms languidly over her head. In the next instant, she was dressed in a simple black cardigan over a sparkly top, her boots replaced with spiky heels. Without a second’s hesitation, she added and discarded a number of necklaces to her ensemble as it slowly dawned on the assemblage that she was not using a wand.

She waited for the applause to die down before offering, “Best not to draw too much attention to yourself, my mum always said.” With a snap of her fingers, she Vanished the jewelry entirely and changed her hair into a shiny blue bob.

With a deep sigh of forbearance, Kingsley returned the wand to her in a courtly manner as Moody continued, “What they didn’t realize was how many birds I had to interview before I found one who was a Metamorphmagus!”

“Don’t forget the graceful part,” Kingsley admonished as the audience tittered appreciatively.

“Absolutely!” Tonks shot back. “My parents paid extra for those lessons, you know.” Catching her companions’ eyes once again, she dared, “Last one there…” She took two tentative steps towards the front of the stage, letting her gaze linger over the rapt faces before her. With a blissful expression on her face, she opened her arms wide in a classic Disapparition stance. Harry waited for her to bring her tight little turn in for a second revolution with a small swing of her leg, marveling anew as she disappeared amid a small shower of sparkling stars.

A sharp gasp undulated through the crowd as Moody noted, “Not to mention her winning ways with an exit.”

“Or entrance, depending upon your viewpoint,” Tonks volunteered as she peeked out from behind Scrimgeour’s chair to thunderous applause. “It’s best to keep enemies unaware of your comings and goings.” Without any additional fanfare, she Disapparated again, leaving the trademark faerie lights in her wake.

She reappeared among the shrubbery lining the solarium walls and asked, “Did I miss the stars again? Blimey, that’s the best part!”

Harry couldn’t help but smile at how artfully she had appropriated Ron’s awed assessment as her own. Hopefully, Ron was chuckling to himself at he listened in via the wireless in his cozy kitchen.

“Time to get ready for the tours,” Luna breathed as she dashed down the stairs.

Mrs. Figg followed more sedately, commenting on her way out the door, “I’ll just let Luna take the first group.”

Even though he had been well briefed on what would come next, Harry still bristled as the journalists and other curiosity seekers clustered around the stage for the question and answer session. Percy was urging those who wished to take the first tour of the museum to please follow him as other assistants herded the uncertain towards the buffet tables inside the solarium. Suddenly, Harry felt lost without Ron or Hermione at his side, knowing Ginny was keeping a close eye on things at the main broadcasting studio.

At the sound of a small avalanche, Harry dashed out into the narrow corridor and followed the noise into the dilapidated master suite Sirius had once occupied. He was caught short when the room no longer looked as he remembered. The dark wood of the large four-poster bed had been buffed to a high gloss, its worn curtains and bedspread replaced with silver damask to match the polished granite of the hearth. The gilded mirror no longer reflected the worn patches on the ceiling and the cracked plaster beneath the moldy wallpaper. He suspected the adjoining room which had once been Buckbeak’s lair was no longer open to the elements, but he did not have a chance to explore very thoroughly.

A rather rumpled Neville was furiously shaking a decade’s worth of ashes from his robes as he coughed furiously. Harry added a wordless Evanseco spell to urge the last of the debris to detach itself and float harmlessly towards the white dust cloth laid upon the shampooed carpeting for that very purpose.

“You make quite an entrance, Neville,” Harry greeted him with a cheery slap on the shoulder. “Mad-Eye did much the same on stage.”

Neville chuckled light-heartedly as he continued to shake the sparkling Floo powder from his fringe. “So that was his entrance? Couldn’t tell so well on the wireless.” To demonstrate, he extracted a tiny snow globe key chain from the inner pocket of his robes. Inside rested the diminutive dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral as black specks represented the ever-present flock of pigeons congregating on its wide steps. “Luna got me this so I could listen in even when I was abroad.”

Harry looked skeptically as the personal wireless set. It was the latest fad for wizarding gadgets to resemble innocuous Muggle objects; just one more way to thumb their noses at the Statute of Secrecy, Harry supposed. The snow globes had been modeled after the twin’s proximity alarm prototype Ron had unveiled so many years ago. “Can you really get the WWN half a hemisphere away?” he inquired with a dubious frown.

“Not really,” Neville admitted rather sheepishly. “But I feel closer to Luna every time I use it anyway. The sound quality is great throughout Britain, though. I was listening in to the whole dedication ceremony as I hiked to the Floo connection at the Three Broomsticks.”

“Yeah, Luna was wondering what had delayed you.”

“Tons of stuff. Great news, really. Is she about?”

“She’s tied up leading the tours right now,” Harry advised, watching the enthusiasm in Neville’s eyes dim. “Why don’t you keep me company in the Crow’s Nest so we can stay out of sight? The question and answer session was just beginning when you arrived.”

With an eager nod, Neville allowed himself to be escorted back down the hall just as the mingled voices of the tour drifted up the stairs. Soundlessly, Harry closed the door behind them and applied a Muffliato charm as an extra precaution. The success of their plan depended upon not being seen by anyone other than their co-conspirators. That was in large part why Hermione and Ron had elected to stay at home, inviting Remus and the children to join them so they could all listen in together.

Seeing through Remus’ initial hesitation, Harry had volunteered to accompany Tonks to Grimmauld Place and keep a close eye on the proceedings. “After all,” he’d reminded Remus before the man could come up with any other objections, “I’m still the official landlord of number twelve.”

With the wireless feed Ginny had arranged for them, every word uttered on stage came through loud and clear.

“…was a bit of a power vacuum after Dumbledore’s death,” Kingsley was saying. “That was to be expected. But no, I did not become the de facto leader of the Order.”

“Mr. Moody?” an unfamiliar reporter’s voice prodded.

“Nor I, laddie,” Mad-Eye rumbled heartily. “I may be a man of action, but I was not the visionary tactician which Dumbledore had been.”

“Is that such an important point for your story?” Scrimgeour interjected impatiently. “I always got the impression the Order operated more along the lines of a committee where everyone’s voice was heard equally.”

“That’s a fair way to put it,” Kingsley acknowledged diplomatically.

“The Order recognizes no generals,” Tonks agreed, echoing a phrase which had clearly come from Remus.

Move on, Harry urged inside his head, if Remus had wanted you to fawn all over him, he would have come in person.

“Is it true your group of patriots originated the practice of verifying a person’s identity by Patronus?” posed yet another reporter.

“Can’t say we originated it as such,” Kingsley drawled. “But we found it to be a much more efficient method than anything the Ministry was espousing at the time.”

“You’re referring to the brochure suggesting we quiz each other before opening the door,” came a crisp voice.

Moody’s gravely voice responded, “Considering that attempts were made to infiltrate our organization by those whom we'd considered friends and allies, you can see how that might be a less than reliable method.”

“But Patronuses can change, can they not?” the same journalist persisted.

“Yes,” Kingsley allowed, “but it’s not a common occurrence by any means. It usually requires a traumatic event that would have already primed the rest of the group.”

“No method is entirely foolproof,” Moody elaborated. “We just considered it a superior method for our needs. All of our agents had mastered the charm so that was not an issue.”

“They also started using this method at Hogwarts,” Scrimgeour volunteered with a note of pride.

“Yes, we did,” Tonks acknowledged. “My main objective when I took over the Defense Against the Dark Arts curriculum was to empower each student, down to the most introverted first year, to defend himself in an emergency. We also addressed methods of avoiding conflict and hiding in plain sight by blending in with the surroundings. But when faced with an immediate threat, the Patronus charm would provide them with the best chance of holding out until help arrived.”

“But they were so young…” protested an obviously feminine voice.

“War does not ask the age of its victims,” Kingsley expounded solemnly. “It is barbaric just as much as it is egalitarian. That is one of the harshest lessons of all.”

“As for teaching the first years,” Tonks continued, “I admit it was a bit of an innovation. But one which paid off, even if a student was only able to produce a partial Patronus “ one composed only of silver smoke. Without a distinct shape it could not chase away its tormentors, but still provided a viable shield.”

“And no protests were heard?” posed a voice which reminded Harry of his Aunt Petunia’s patented self-righteousness.

“From whom?” Moody growled. “Parents are hardly going to complain about their children being taught how to survive in a time of war!”

“Yet many parents felt the need to keep their children at home during the final year of the war, did they not?” prodded the ersatz Petunia. Harry could just envision the grim line of the lips which accompanied that particular tone.

“Yes,” Scrimgeour admitted candidly. “But that was a symptom of the uncertain times, not a condemnation of the teaching methods employed at Hogwarts. One has only to review the bulging class rosters in the years after Lord Voldemort’s defeat.”

“So the school continues to teach first years how to produce a Patronus?” strained a voice from the back.

“Absolutely,” Tonks affirmed. “We found the increased concentration required to master the charm gave students an extra boost of confidence in all areas of their schoolwork.”

“How did you counter the resistance in the first group?” came another.

“All students whing about the assignments put before them,” Moody expounded. “The same holds true for Auror trainees, although they are more clever about avoiding my magical eye.” He waited for the smattering of laughter to die down before continuing. “But in the end, they achieve what we expect of them. The question you should be asking is why the wizarding community had long held so little confidence in their children’s abilities.”

“The fault lies with us and not with them,” pronounced a disgruntled sounding voice.

“Not anymore,” Tonks replied in her usual upbeat manner. “We have seen the error of our ways. As to our methods, I was lucky to have an able assistant in none other than Harry Potter himself. Circumstances required he learn the charm in his third year for his very survival. He simply convinced the younger ones that if he could do it, so could they.”

“The students found that motivating?” came the voice of a skeptic.

“Oh, yes.” Tonks was obviously warming to her subject. “What first year wouldn’t relish a compliment and a broad smile from a seventh year? No one wanted to disappoint Harry.”

“But Harry graduated soon after that.”

“Yes,” Moody took up the slack. “But a new crop of first years will bristle if you try to tell them they are not capable of the same achievements as the prior class. They will do everything in their power to prove you wrong.”

“So it’s self-fulfilling,” surmised another journalist.

“All success is,” Kingsley concluded with aplomb.

“What about you, Ms. Tonks?” another unfamiliar voice, this time a woman’s, spoke up. “Are your children watching today? I didn’t see any young faces among the spectators. What about your husband? He was part of your group as well, wasn’t he?”

There was a long, tense pause as Harry and Neville rushed to the window to view the interactions first-hand. Tonks turned her head to look imploringly at Moody and then Kingsley. Scrimgeour was shaking his head reproachfully at the reporter, his lips pursed with displeasure. “I understood there were to be no personal questions,” the Minister remarked in a glacial tone.

“My apologies, Minister,” the reporter back-pedaled. “I represent Witch Weekly and we’re always interested in a woman’s point of view.”

“Do you wish for me to have this reporter removed, sir?” Percy offered as he scurried up with a self-important puff to his chest.

“What do you think, Nymphadora?” Scrimgeour suggested as he threw poor Tonks to the sharks -- or so it seemed to Harry.

Tonks hesitated, her mouth hanging open as if she couldn’t quite fathom how the Minister himself could have reacted in such an ungentlemanly fashion. In the deafening silence, Tonks’ navy cloak snapped sharply in the wind as the Order of Merlin shone forth from her cravat. Harry noted she had changed her attire to echo Kingsley’s, yet somehow her unique details gave her more of an equestrian look.

“Remus is surely gnashing his teeth,” Neville breathed.

Flexing his claws and swishing his tail, Harry added inwardly.

Even from their angle, they could distinguish Tonks' throat working feverishly. “I believe I’ll answer the question,” she remarked very carefully. “But you will have to be satisfied with my words.”

The reporter nodded briskly to acknowledge that a crumb was better than nothing.

In a carefully modulated tone, Tonks replied, “My children have absolutely nothing to do with today’s events. They were not born -- nor even conceived -- at the time when the wizarding world stood on the brink of being consumed by dark forces. If anything, my children are a testament to the hope for the future that we all share; but they are not, and never will be, a subject for your readers’ interest. As for my husband, he is a very private man who does not require the adulation of the world to believe in his own self-worth.”

With those quiet words, Tonks excused herself to get some refreshments, even though any of the Ministry’s attendants would have been happy to fetch something for her.

Unperturbed, a small mousy gentleman elbowed his way to the front of the crowd. “Please, Mr. Moody, my readership would be most interested in all the exploits of your long and varied career. Frankly, I’m surprised you have not considered penning an autobiographical …”

Harry’s attention was diverted by the quick tread up the last flight of stairs leading to their hiding place. Could it be Luna? He exchanged a glance with Neville who obviously was thinking the same. They both jumped at the soft knock which echoed through the door.

“Luna will have a key,” Harry breathed in Neville’s ear as he pressed a finger to his lips.

A smoky lupine shape jumped nimbly onto the desktop before them, causing Neville to grab Harry’s arm fearfully as it became clear the slavering jaws were those of a werewolf. “I told you Remus would be angry,” Neville whispered as apprehension led him to the wrong conclusion.

“It’s me,” came Tonks’ voice from the smoky jaws. “Some familiar faces would really…”

Before allowing her tremulous words to finish, Harry swirled his Invisibility Cloak over himself and opened the door. Tonks slipped through gratefully, flashing a weak smile at Neville. Before she had time to get her bearings, Harry allowed the Cloak to drop to the floor and enveloped her in a comforting hug. “You were magnificent,” he affirmed softly. “A lioness defending her cubs.”

Tonks uttered a weak laugh in relief. “Considering I wasn’t in Gryffindor, I was hoping for a comparison with a badger…”

“A veritable wolverine, more like,” Neville added with a wry chuckle.

Harry bade her to sit in Luna’s comfy chair as she unbuckled the heavy cloak from her shoulders. He poured her a small goblet of the purple wine an intrepid house elf had delivered to them moments before.

Tonks obligingly took a sip and then screwed her face in displeasure. “What is this stuff? You didn’t try to save money by having Severus’ students prepare the punch, did you?”

“Thimbleberry wine,” Harry supplied as he took a small sip of the cloying liquid himself. “They thought to stay with the Victorian theme for the refreshments as well.”

“Here, have a stuffed olive,” Neville offered her a small ivory toothpick. “They’re quite good, stuffed with bleu cheese.”

Tonks nodded gratefully as she helped herself to some of the other delicacies from the lavish silver tray before them. “Still need something to wash it down with, though. Does Luna keep any Butterbeer in that cold cabinet of hers?”

“We can check,” Harry offered as he opened the filing cabinet Tonks had indicated. “Some pumpkin juice…wait, what’s this? Two bottles of champagne. Rather good quality, I might add.”

Neville cleared his throat self-consciously. “I believe those are mine, Harry.”

“Planning for a bit of celebration later?” Harry added with a small suggestive smirk.

Neville flushed noticeably. “Not a seduction, if that’s what you mean,” he muttered as Tonks laughed merrily.

“Give him a break, Harry,” she spoke up in Neville’s defense. “What’s a dedication without a bit of champagne? And you can’t expect those dolts with the Ministry to buy anything decent, now can you?”

“Actually, if you’ll permit me,” Neville took the glass of thimbleberry wine and poured it into a tall flute he took down from the adjoining cupboard. “My Gran is a big fan of thimbleberry wine, hardly allows anything else past her doorstep. So Luna and I have learned to improvise.” With practiced moves that left Harry speechless, Neville uncorked the champagne without spilling a drop and then splashed some over the purple congealing along the sides of the elegant flute. With a small motion of his wand above the rim, he caused the liquid to stir slightly. “No more than one and a half revolutions,” he warned, “or you’re liable to bruise the bubbles.”

“Since when did you become so adept at Potions?” Harry asked in awe.

“Since I discovered the only true objective was to satisfy my taste buds,” Neville shot back with a wide smile. “And Luna’s, of course. We call this a Haley’s Comet.”

Tonks took a sip, then returned for a much longer swallow. “Very good, Neville. Has a bit of a tickle at the end.”

“That’s the tail of the comet,” Neville explained as he mixed cocktails for Harry and himself. “It’s a shame we don’t have any fresh spearmint leaves. Coat them with coarse sugar and they make the perfect garnish.”

“Are you getting this down, Harry?” Tonks urged. “You know how Dobby loves new recipes.”

Neville blushed at the compliment. “Perhaps a toast,” he suggested hesitantly. “If you promise not to say anything to Luna, the Headmistress offered me the Herbology post. Once Professor Sprout leaves to get married, that is.”

Amid congratulations all around, Neville admitted his desire to accept immediately was tempered by his fear of how Snape would react. “There’s absolutely no way I can scour the world for exotic potion ingredients for his pharmaceuticals and maintain a teaching post. Even if Minerva did warn me she had already promised the Head of Hufflepuff House to Tonks here.”

“Sshhh,” Tonks warned. “It’s still a secret.”

“Did I let the Kneazle out of the proverbial bag?” Neville asked as he hung his head playfully.

“Of course Harry and Remus know, so does Ginny. But no one beyond our house,” Tonks explained. “It’s Minerva’s privilege to make the official announcements.”

“She said much the same to me,” Neville admitted. “But then she sprung her surprise guest on me. Said she’d already taken the liberty of paving the way with Sna… I mean, Severus, on my behalf. I nearly slopped my tea all over myself at that. But he was very gracious, said he had plenty of specimens to keep him busy for a while. Suggested it was time we started seeing which ones could be propagated in our own greenhouses. ‘Which makes your appointment to the Herbology post ideal,’ Minerva finished with self-satisfied smile.”

“She certainly believes in stacking the deck, doesn’t she?” Harry laughed.

“Rumor is she’s one of the investors in Snape’s fledgling enterprise,” Tonks supplied as she downed the last of her cocktail. “But you didn’t hear that from me.”

“What’s Severus calling his business these days?” Harry inquired. “Would I have seen any of the products on the chemist’s shelves yet?”

“Oh, no, Harry. We’re still in the experimental stage. But he plans to revolutionize medicinal potions. Pharmaceuticals he calls them, taking a page from the Muggle world.”

“Like the reworked Wolfsbane Potion?” Tonks ventured as her eyes scanned the embossed business card Neville handed her.

Incomparable Solutions

…a natural way to approach life’s problems


“So Snape’s decided to go green now?” Harry quipped. “Not that it doesn’t match his House colors.”

Tonks laughed. “Just following the latest Muggle trend, would be my guess. But it ties in well with potion-making as a whole. Do you think he’s planning to expand into the Muggle market?”

Neville shrugged. “Dunno. It would certainly make him a millionaire if he figured out how to get around the Statute of Secrecy. But as for the Wolfsbane Potion you asked about, that’s destined to be a highly controlled substance. Available only under the strict supervision of a Healer.”

“You don’t think everyone would be as meticulous about sticking to the calendar, do you?” Harry ventured.

“Let’s just say the details still need to be ironed out,” Neville issued with care. “Not all patients are as adaptable as Remus. And this is a course of treatment which definitely requires the patient to rework his life to accommodate the medication “ and not the other way around.”

“So what sort of products do you plan to launch?” Tonks inquired.

“Our first goal is to introduce over the counter type remedies,” Neville explained. “Draughts which don’t lose their potency if they haven’t been freshly brewed.”

“Quite an undertaking,” Tonks acknowledged.

“That’s where all the exotic ingredients come in,” Neville explained. “Tell me though, Tonks, what exactly did you do to revolutionize Hufflepuff House? Both the Heads couldn’t say that enough, yet I really got zero details.”

Tonks laughed self-consciously. “It was really nothing, just a bit of tweaking with the House attributes. You were both there when it all started during your seventh year.”

“The Hufflepuff Boys?” Harry posed with a chuckle. “They were a hoot. I always wondered how you were able to round up such a group. It’s not everyone who’s willing…”

“…certainly not without the inducement of Firewhiskey,” Tonks rejoined. “Or so Remus always claimed.”

“So what’s your secret?” Neville urged.

“Hufflepuffs are always portrayed as loyal and hard-working,” Tonks elaborated. “Sort of gives the impression they have second-rate brains and have to study constantly just to keep their heads above water.”

“I can’t say I haven’t heard those jokes,” Harry admitted.

“But Ravenclaws have turned extra research into a hobby of sorts,” Neville supplied. “Even Luna has her moments when she’s glued to a book.”

“And Remus doesn’t?” Tonks added merrily.

“At least Remus reads literature, quite a bit as a matter of fact,” Harry clarified. “You should see what Hermione considered light reading in our first year. A wizard’s encyclopedia!”

“Perhaps she was just trying to catch up after having lived among Muggles,” Neville posed in a kindly manner.

“You didn’t see me trying to wean myself from the Dursleys in such a manner, did you?” Harry shot back.

“Gentlemen, you made my point for me,” Tonks allowed with a trilling bit of laughter. “Traits don’t just cleave to one House. So I decided to turn the hard-working part into an asset instead of a liability. And what could require more constant dedication than practicing for a performance? Turns out the increased stamina and coordination translates into better control on the Quidditch pitch, so it has appealed to the sports-minded as well.”

“Not to mention the number of girls who are attracted to men who know how to dance,” Harry added with a knowing lift to his brow.

“I’d forgotten about that!” Neville exclaimed. “Why, when I went to the Yule Ball…”

“Ginny told me about Snape,” Harry confided. “In a dreamy voice that was rather unsettling, I might add.”

“He was much the same when I was at school,” Tonks volunteered. “Although he once admitted he’d learned to dance to avoid the insipid small talk at parties. In a very dark, confrontational tone which dared me to question his motives.”

Harry nodded. “At least that puts it into perspective.”

“Not so out of character, after all,” Neville acknowledged with a nervous chuckle.






They finished the second bottle of champagne as the voices of Scrimgeour and Kingsley droned on in the background. The current role of the Auror Department was Kingsley’s main theme, only the inherent warmth of his personality making the subject remotely palatable to reporters who were determined to uncover some angle to justify themselves to their publications. Tonks had long since muted the volume as Scrimgeour went on and on ad nauseum; nothing but self-serving drivel in Harry’s estimation. But since the Ministry was bearing the cost of today’s event, it was not unexpected that the Minister’s ego would demand to be fed just as much as the guests prowling the buffet.

Tonks commented that Mad-Eye was likely pedaling his tales among the elegant matriarchs who had been included in the guest list. “Weaving effortlessly among the bodies gathered next to the refreshments has always been one of his well-honed social skills,” she noted wryly.

“If he hasn’t convinced that one reporter to grant him a personal interview,” Neville opined with a sharp laugh.

“I feel really bad about guzzling all your champagne,” Tonks apologized with a giggle. “If you’ll excuse me for a moment, I’ll just Floo Dobby and have him bring some replacements from our cellar.”

“Have him sent some of the good stuff left over from the wedding,” Harry insisted.

Neville made as if to protest, but Tonks would have none of it.

“The connection is just as the end of the hall,” Harry explained. “The double doors leading--”

“Sirius’ old room? Stars, that brings back dreary memories of him holed up with a bottle of Firewhiskey and Buckbeak for company.” She sighed softly.

“Wasn’t that about the time you and Remus found one another?” Neville suggested as he tried to steer things in a less melancholy direction.

“It probably would have been easier on both of us if we hadn’t been so worried about Sirius half the time,” she admitted candidly. “Somehow his mournful exits never seemed to put me in a flirtatious mood.”

“So how did you ever…?” Harry left his words hanging as he realized he was likely delving into personal territory.

Tonks shrugged to convey she didn’t think his question was out of bounds. “So we spoke of serious things, more than we probably should have in the beginning of a relationship. Not that either of us saw it for what it was. We were just trying to keep the dark thoughts at bay, thinking of things other than the latest news report or the grim reality that our next mission for the Order might be our last. Yet we’d laugh at the oddest things sometimes; Remus’ sense of humor being skewed the way it is. He would wax philosophical and somehow in his simple words I would always find a soothing sort of eloquence…”

“He made you feel safe, in other words,” Neville supplied.

“Very much so, although I didn’t realize that at the time, either. All I knew was that I could relax after a grueling day at the office and just be myself and somehow nothing else would be required of me.”

“I suspect you made Remus feel the same way,” Harry noted. “The sort of acceptance he’d sought all his life, but never found.”

“Yeah, well, he didn’t realize it either. Or perhaps he did, but was too hardheaded to accept it for what it was. Looking back now, it seems as if the ravages of war marked the ebb and flow of our courtship.”

“That’s one of the reasons why I didn’t want to rush into marriage with Ginny," Harry attested. "War creates an atmosphere of urgency about everything and I didn’t want my love for her to be just a by-product of that.”

“Yet you broke with wizarding tradition and gave her an engagement ring,” Neville prompted.

“Only because I wanted to mark what was in my heart with something other than words. I didn’t want her to think I was just toying with her affections.”

“Why all these questions, Neville?” Tonks posed with a vague idea gnawing at the back of her brain. “Did you suspect Minerva was planning to make you a job offer?”

“No,” Neville admitted with slight blush. “That came as a complete and utter surprise.”

“Then why the bottles of champagne?” Tonks asked pointedly.

“I suppose it’s too late to go with Harry’s earlier suggestion of a seduction, isn’t it?” Neville posed as he refused to meet anyone’s eyes.

“Not unless you’re going to confess to an unrequited yen for Mrs. Figg,” Harry shot back. “What gives?”

Neville couldn’t help breaking out in nervous laughter as Tonks elbowed Harry and muttered, “I swear there are days when I don’t know who is worse, you or Remus!”

With a deep breath for courage, Neville pulled a small box from his pocket and placed it on the worktable before them. “I’ve been carrying this around for months, trying to get my courage up. So when Severus requested my participation for this event, I knew the time had come. Besides, if I carried it around too much longer, I was afraid I would end up losing it in the jungles of Malaysia or someplace even more inaccessible.”

“May I?” Tonks ventured as she gingerly reached her hand out.

“Please,” Neville implored. “I might feel like less of a total git if I could get someone else’s opinion about my choice. A decidedly female opinion.”

Harry crowded ‘round to get a closer look as Tonks slowly lifted the lid, revealing a delicate silver ring in a very unusual design.

“What kind of stones are these?” Tonks asked in awe. “I’ve never seen anything quite them.”

“They’re from a magical volcano, or so I was told. Snowflake diamonds, they’re called. The setting is platinum.”

Tonks turned the box so the ring caught the light at various angles. The small irregular cluster of bluish stones almost pulsed in their intensity, never repeating their sequence. “You picked the color to match the pale blue of Luna’s eyes, didn’t you?” she uttered with a note of reverence.

Neville nodded. “That and their brilliant sparkle.”

“It was an inspired choice,” Harry asserted. “I didn’t think engagement rings were very traditional in the wizarding world… or so Ginny informed me as she slipped the amethyst I bought her onto her finger.”

Tonks laughed. “Didn’t keep her from accepting it, did it?”

“I’m hoping Luna feels the same way,” Neville confessed. “She always said that Harry’s gesture was so romantic”even if it did betray his Muggle upbringing.”

“Coming from Luna, I’m going to assume she didn’t mean it in a derogatory way.” Harry chuckled. “But Neville, you’re a pureblood.”

“You don’t think she’ll hold that against me, do you?” Neville exclaimed with genuine anxiety coloring his features.

“I’m sure not,” Harry confirmed. “Why you and Luna have been together almost as long as Ginny and I.”

“Not really,” Neville noted.

“If you disregard that hiccup at the end of sixth year when I was so brainless to think I could break up with her. My heart berated me daily for months until I made things right.”

“Ginny’s loved you much longer than that,” Neville observed solemnly.

“And you would know this how?” Tonks slipped in.

“Ginny was my date to the Yule Ball in our fourth year,” Neville explained, directing his remarks to Tonks. “While Harry was vacillating about whom he should invite once he found out that as one of the Triwizard Champions, he couldn’t just boycott the event entirely.”

“Really, Harry?” Tonks noted with a smirk. “You would have rather gone alone than screw up the courage to ask a girl?”

“I would have rather skipped the event entirely,” Harry clarified. “Cowardice at its most paralyzing.”

“I won’t deny Harry’s position was more difficult than mine,” Neville elaborated. “Harry had a crush on an older girl with whom he hadn’t shared more than two words. Admiring her from afar when she wasn’t looking at him and practically dribbling food into his lap when she happened to look his way.”

“It was hardly my finest moment,” Harry conceded as he shook his head in chagrin. “At least Ginny’s had the decency to never bring it up.”

“Ginny knew about this?” Tonks inquired.

“All of Gryffindor House knew,” Neville supplied. “Perhaps most of the school, as well. When Harry finally screwed up his courage to ask the girl, she already had a date. So Harry chose another girl practically at random and just sat there on the sidelines all night mooning over his dream date.”

“Don’t forget how she arrived on the arm of the most handsome guy at school,” Harry added with a note of petulance.

“I’m sure that didn’t help,” Neville sympathized. “I, on the other hand, had no illusions of finding my heart’s desire, but I was determined to overcome my shyness anyway. So I found a friend who would be my date, who would even practice the dance steps with me once or twice ahead of time so we wouldn’t look like total idiots. In return, my invitation allowed her to attend an event which was restricted to older students. I ended up having a great time, dancing until the wee hours of the morning!

“But despite how polite and attentive Ginny was to me, I couldn’t help noticing that every once in a while she would steal a look at Harry. Finally, I asked her about it, in the non-judgmental way only a friend can ask another. I didn’t really expect her to be so forthright, but she told me that just as Harry dreamed of a date with Cho, she dreamed of Harry more than anything. Then she apologized for implying she wasn’t having an excellent time with me.

“‘It’s all right, Ginny, we both know this is a negotiated date between two friends; I don’t have any false illusions.’ But then it was as if her candor inspired me to speak my mind as well, ‘But, if you don’t mind me saying, why didn’t you just ask Harry to go with you? Wouldn’t that have cut through all the red tape?’

“She thought for a long time before she gave me her answer. ‘Well, it certainly isn’t because I stand with such outdated customs as waiting for the boy to ask me out,’ she began, then garnering her courage, she added very solemnly, ‘It would kill me inside if I were Harry’s date and he was pining over another girl. I may be ready, but he’s not. Believe me, there will come a day; and I assure you, I won’t think twice before taking the plunge. Merlin knows, I’ve had years to gear myself up for it.’

“And I realized how very astute she was in her assessment of the situation, although it must have smarted to be so brutally honest with herself. She knew she couldn’t compete with a fantasy girl who Harry hardly knew, nor did she want to be the object of a schoolboy infatuation which would melt like yesterday’s snow. And I knew then that someday, I wanted to find someone who would love me truly, despite all my shortcomings. Even if it took years, I would wait for them just as Ginny was willing to wait for you, Harry. So you see, Ginny loved you even back then, when you were too pre-occupied to even give her a second look.”

“Is that what you feel you’ve found with Luna?” Tonks posed through the heavy silence which had descended over Harry.

Neville nodded with just the ghost of a smile playing over his lips. “I think I finally feel as lucky as Harry.”
Nine: The Jaws of the Trap by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Nine
The Jaws of the Trap



Ginny paced impatiently from one end of the small room to the other, clenching and unclenching her fists with each step. The special acoustics in the recording studio allowed the voices from Grimmauld Place to come through as if the persons were present before her, yet she avoided glancing at the video screen. After listening to the Minister drone on at excruciating length, she had no desire to look upon his smug, grandstanding face as well.

Just because the news team had agreed to provide live coverage of today’s dedication did not mean he owned the airwaves. Did he not realize the WWN had a broadcasting schedule to maintain? Not to mention paid advertisers who expected their pre-recorded spots to be aired according to contract. No, such things were too mundane for the Minister for Magic to remember; but his media staff should have been more on top of things. Percy was certainly going to get an earful the next time she saw him.

Instantly, her head jerked up at the abrupt silence. On the video screen, Scrimgeour was bending over slightly as one of his assistants whispered urgently into his ear. He nodded as he continued to smile broadly at the small crowd encircling him then began avidly shaking hands. In the background, Ginny caught a glimpse of her brother’s stern countenance. Well, perhaps he was doing his job overseeing today’s events, after all. Managing celebrities, even political ones, was never easy.

Deftly, Ginny switched audio channels and caught the tail end of an advert for a new tearoom in Diagon Alley. Following a brief burst of musical fanfare, the transmission through the wireless system was now originating from their main studio. Ginny confirmed they were only running ten minutes behind schedule. Through the wide glass window which separated her from the next studio, their special guest was entranced by the life-sized video feed that had been set up especially for her.

Time for Act Two, Ginny noted wryly. With a quill infused with a Protean Charm, she sat down to rework the interview script, confident that the shortened version would appear before Eunice just as soon as the ink dried.






Harry cringed every time the tour took to the stairs on the floor below, the muffled conversations funneling through the narrow stairwell reminding him that the party was still going strong. From their aerie, they could distinguish the guests drifting like schools of brightly colored fish seeking refreshment in the solarium below. Aided by the elongating shadow of the tall townhouse itself, the temperature outside had been dropping steadily since mid-day. Not that anyone had taken it as a sign to depart; they had simply regrouped near the buffet so they could continue to rub elbows with the celebrities. Idly, Harry watched the steam heat escaping from the vents along the glass roofline. Delicate wraiths drifting into the darkening cloudbank, never to be seen again.

“You don’t think they’ll complain about my skiving off?” Tonks tittered nervously at his elbow.

“And what if they do?” Harry shrugged.

“I’m sure your intrepid agent will set them straight,” Neville added with a boyish grin. “After he reminds them this was a benefit appearance.”

“But the Minister…” Tonks started to protest.

“It’s not a command performance unless it comes from the Queen herself,” Harry reminded her with a twinkle in his eye. “And Her Majesty remains blissfully ignorant of the wizarding world in her midst.”

A sharp crackle from the snow globe caused Neville to increase the volume on their receiver unit.

“I think Ginny’s part of the show is just beginning,” Harry whispered.

“Curtain rises on the second act,” Tonks echoed as she pulled her chair closer.

“Thank you for joining us today, Ms. Umbridge,” came the well-pitched tones of the WWN interviewer. “As a long-time employee of the Ministry’s Cultural Affairs Office, your analysis of today’s events has been much anticipated.”

“Thank you, Eunice,” Umbridge issued with a totally inappropriate giggle. “But I must point out that things were much simpler in my time. No fancy titles or divisions, just two Undersecretaries. Besides my duties to the Wizengamot, I also interfaced with visiting dignitaries while the Junior Undersecretary kept track of the Minister’s calendar of personal appearances. Nothing like it is today: ten employees to coordinate with the media and plan parties to showcase the Minister’s wisdom. Is that really necessary?”

“Bet Scrimgeour wishes he hadn’t made her wait for his overly long remarks to wrap up,” Tonks breathed.

“So you think today’s events were overblown?” Eunice followed up.

“Overblown is a brass band and some fireworks,” Umbridge simpered. “This was a media circus.”

Leaving the Minister as the chief clown? Harry considered inwardly. But that question wasn’t posed on air.

Eunice was going for a more diplomatic approach as she returned, “The attendees we interviewed were quite pleased, though.”

Umbridge cleared her throat in that artificial way of hers which made Harry grit his teeth. “Wouldn’t you be if you’d been fed lavishly? A satisfied stomach is a great motivator. Would it surprise you to learn that the curators’ salaries are paid by the Ministry?”

Harry bristled as the insinuation. Flaming dragon’s spit, wasn’t it enough that he’d donated the property? Who did she think paid the effing bills for the renovations which came addressed to the Estate of Sirius Black, Esquire?

Eunice hesitated only briefly before replying, “That was actually in my researcher’s notes, so it’s not really news to me. What’s more, it seems to be common practice for the Ministry to provide personnel to oversee areas they consider to be of importance to the wizarding world.”

“And who determines what is important?” Umbridge persisted.

“Ultimately, the Minister himself.” Refusing to be put on the defensive, Eunice elaborated, “But surely you can’t question the park keepers who are on hand at the Welsh Dragon Preserve near the Berwyn Mountains? Keeping that area fully Disillusioned from Muggles is a full-time undertaking. There’s also the wild hippogriff sanctuary near Pentland Firth--”

“Yes, yes,” Umbridge acknowledged shortly. “No one would question those expenditures. I oversaw much of that when I worked in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. But why is this particular crumbling townhouse of such importance to wizarding culture, I ask you? It doesn’t mark the site of an actual battle, so why is it being turned into a shrine?”

Having been well rehearsed, Eunice expounded, “Due in large part to the Statute of Secrecy, the wizarding community has limited ability to commemorate its victories. Grave markers are about the only things routinely allowed. The townhouse which served as Headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix is unique in that it has been hidden by the Fidelius Charm for decades. It provided an ideal opportunity--”

Like poisoned treacle, Umbridge softly interjected, “So the Ministry’s dossier would have us believe.”

They could almost hear Eunice take a deep breath as she attempted to steer the interview back on track. “Now you don’t want to have our listeners think you haven’t visited the museum yourself. Can you tell us a bit about that, Ms. Umbridge?”

“Of course. I was sent an invitation to today’s dedication, but not being one for crowds, I contacted the curators directly and arranged for a tour for me and my knitting circle. It was just a few days ago so things were a bit chaotic. I only got a peek at the solarium as the glass panes were being repaired by four wands in tandem. Some which had sustained too much weather damage were prone to shattering, like the tinkling of wind chimes in the background.”

“And as we announced at the beginning of this segment, you have been our guest in the main studio this morning where we have all been watching the ceremonies on our life-sized screen,” narrated Eunice.

“It was so kind of you to invite me. The weather seems rather nippy to see how the spectators were all bundled up in their wooly scarves and hats,” Umbridge observed conversationally.

“Any comments on the dedication ceremony itself? Did you find it entertaining?” Eunice posed exactly as she had been prepped.

“Oh yes.” Umbridge produced her fake sigh. “It was very enjoyable. The three Aurors who participated were clearly crowd favorites.”

“I sense a bit of hesitation there…” Eunice maneuvered Umbridge expertly.

“Well, after seeing the actual exhibits within the museum, I was a bit disappointed the Ministry only used its own employees for the dedication. Couldn’t any of the other Order members be bothered to come? Please don’t give me the humility line; surely a direct request from the Minister could not be so easily ignored.”

Harry held his breath, his heart hammering in his ears. Would she allow herself to be baited?

“Technically, Ms. Tonks no longer works as an Auror,” Eunice supplied in a neutral tone. “She is employed by Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

“Isn’t the infamous Harry Potter part of Mr. Shacklebolt’s department?” Umbridge pressed. “He was at the time of my retirement last month.”

Right on cue, Eunice provided, “It was determined it would be a huge undertaking to guarantee his safety.”

“But not that of the Minister?” Umbridge gasped in exaggerated outrage. “Doesn’t that seem a little skewed to you?”

“The Ministry determined today’s participants had enough experience to handle any untoward situations which might arise,” Eunice enunciated. “It was a cost savings measure; surely you must appreciate that?”

“Touché!” Tonks nodded approvingly.

Clearing her throat again, Umbridge pronounced, “I had been led to believe the youngest heroes, those who had been dispatched under the guise of a school field trip for the final battle, would be present.”

It was as if the earth’s motion had stopped, Harry noted as he caught everyone’s eyes. This was the moment…

“Not all of those faced Lord Voldemort directly,” Eunice artfully protested. “While these three--”

Umbridge cut across her with an imperious demand, “When did the change of plan come about?”

“There was no change of plan,” Eunice maintained evenly. “The Ministry laid the groundwork for these three from the start. Did you have different information from your contacts within the Ministry?”

Draw it out of her, Harry urged silently.

“No, they were rather close-lipped about the whole thing,” Umbridge responded curtly. “Claimed I was no longer entitled to that information since I was not a member of their department… I received my information from a different source.”

His worst suspicions confirmed, Harry tasted bitterness rather than vindication. He’d forgotten how betrayal felt like taking a red-hot iron to the gut.

He barely made sense of Eunice’s words as she continued, “I can’t deny those five heroes would have been a huge draw. Perhaps too large a draw if the word got out ahead of time. This event is in the middle of a Muggle neighborhood, no less.”

“The Ministry didn’t have any concerns about the heroes presenting themselves to receive their medals--” The last of Umbridge’s words were cut off by a sharp burst of static.






Scrimgeour was not pleased. It was disconcerting enough to smile and shake hands with the public while he was trying to listen in to the live feed from WWN in his other ear. But the cloying voice of that Umbridge witch was enough to set anyone’s teeth on edge.

Easing his way as unobtrusively as possible towards the entrance to the main townhouse, he caught the eye of one of his staff members. Outside of the men’s washroom, he hissed in her ear, “Find Weasley. NOW!”

As she scurried off to comply, the Minister cast a quick Homenum Revelio spell to ascertain the W.C. was empty before he pushed inside. As the swinging door closed, he placed his own personal ward that could only be breached by his high-level retinue. For all intents and purposes, the gents had just been appropriated as an official Ministry field office.

Scrimgeour had barely finished straightening his tie in the long gilded mirror when Percy entered on silent feet. The skills he had honed to perfection as the Minister’s personal assistant served him well as he stood in perfect stillness, patiently awaiting instruction.

“Can you get me an audio feed?” Scrimgeour demanded of Percy’s reflection in the mirror.

“With the WWN?” Percy hesitated. “In mid-broadcast?”

“Of course in mid-broadcast!” Scrimgeour seethed inwardly as the sharp steps of his pacing were muted by the deep green carpeting. “Someone’s got to take that cow by the tail!”

“I’m sure it can be done,” Percy briskly promised. “Shall I bring the technician here, or would you like to set up before the universal transmitter so your image will be visible inside the studio as well?”

“No need to disturb our honored guests,” Scrimgeour intoned. “Here is fine.”

As Percy dashed off to his task, Scrimgeour briefly considered whether it would serve any function to stare Umbridge down as he cut into her interview. Deciding that it was pointless if he couldn’t savor her blanched face in return, his ego reminded him that the necessary rebuke could be imparted by voice alone.

As the WWN technicians arranged for their particular brand of magic, Percy hovered in the background in a supervisory capacity. Truth be told, he knew nothing about the details of the process, but he knew the Minister would be reassured by his presence. To avoid disturbing the tours which continued in other portions of the townhouse, the sound engineers handed each of them headsets to patch them into the program from the main studio.

Umbridge’s strident voice was blaring forth unchecked, “…didn’t have any concerns about the heroes presenting themselves to receive their medals--”

A sharp burst of static drowned out her words momentarily as the Minister signaled he was ready.

After a second of silence, Eunice took up the reins once again. “Please bear with us, Ms. Umbridge, we have another transmission from the remote site… Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister for Magic, you had a comment you wished to make, sir?”

Scrimgeour cleared his throat to create an expectation among the listeners “ or so it seemed to Percy from the periphery. “Let me remind Ms. Umbridge that in her former post as Undersecretary, her department arranged for any ceremonial duties of the Minister.”

No mention was made of the Death Eater investigation that had taken up much of Umbridge’s time during those days. Much to Percy’s frustration, the allegations of her involvement with Voldemort had never been substantiated, not in a way that had allowed them to prosecute. Not that he doubted the contents of the destroyed Horcrux, but it could hardly be called as a witness before the Wizengamot. Without any corroboration, testimonies from Harry, Ron or Hermione would just be categorized as hearsay. The most he’d been able to achieve was to have her shuffled into a department where she could do the least harm. Her self-important attitude fully accepted that a posting to the International Floo Commission would allow her to rub elbows with highly-placed officials on a regular basis.

“I had my staff to deal with that,” Umbridge protested lamely to the Minister’s unspoken reprimand.

Undaunted, the Minister stressed, “Then I’m certain your staff would have advised you that a decoration ceremony held in the enclosed Ministry courtyard does not create the same security problems as an outdoor event in a predominantly Muggle neighborhood. Access to the Ministry itself can be easily controlled, not to mention the ancient spells guarding against assassination attempts within its walls. The open sky and rooftops embracing the museum grounds were much more difficult to secure.”

“Yet the Minister himself was present today,” Umbridge observed.

“As is my job,” Scrimgeour fairly growled. “Along with a contingency of bodyguards from the Auror Department. Need I remind you of the added expense of having an even larger retinue present?”

“It is not the Ministry’s place to guard private citizens,” dismissed Umbridge.

“Then you see why I couldn’t have imposed upon others to participate,” the Minister replied silkily. “Surely you can’t deny they remain controversial even to this day.”

A controversy largely stirred up by Umbridge herself, Percy noted inwardly as he kept his features impassive. If only the listeners could be counted upon to discern the nuances.






Like a small army of woodpeckers, the hard pellets of cold winter sleet bombarded the translucent walls of the solarium. So involved in flowing wine and conversation, most of the guests were caught short when the afternoon light dissolved into charcoal gloom. As the sound technicians and Ministry staff scurried to dismantle or protect their most sensitive equipment, the well-heeled herd simply migrated into the ground floor parlor of the townhouse.

Finally freed from her duties, Luna retired to the Crow’s Nest where Kingsley and Mad-Eye had joined the others. Her smile widened when she caught sight of Neville mixing more cocktails with the champagne Dobby had replenished.

“How did it go this morning?” she breathed in his ear as he pressed a tall glass into her hand.

“Gloriously!” Neville beamed. “Sorry I was so late getting back. I have absolutely tons of news to tell --”

His words were cut short by Mrs. Figg poking her head in to announce, “The weather conditions are such that our guests will be drenched if they try to Disapparate from the side yard. I’m going to allow them to Floo out via Sirius’ old room.”

“Do you need help setting up the one-way connection?” Luna inquired.

“I had one of the security details set it up as an emergency exit,” Kingsley supplied. “Just unlock it with the password Poseidon.”

“Do you need my help ushering them up the stairs?” Luna volunteered as she placed her half-empty glass on the desktop.

“No need, dear,” Mrs. Figg assured her with a grandmotherly smile. “Enjoy a nice visit with your young man. I’ll get some of the Ministry staff to help. You wouldn’t believe how many of them there are now that they’re not spread out among the grounds.”

“Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea if we departed first,” Moody suggested.

“Give us a chance to double-check the connection as well,” Kingsley added.

Mrs. Figg nodded in agreement. “Will a fifteen minute window be enough?”

“Plenty,” Tonks assured her.

Flashing Neville a knowing smirk, Harry made him promise they’d get together again soon. “Have a regular class reunion,” he insisted as he gave Neville a friendly pat on the back.

“I’m not going back into the field until after Boxing Day,” Neville assured him in parting. “The foliage in the southern hemisphere is at its peak when it’s mid- to late summer there.”

With a quick glance down the stairs, Luna waved them forth with Harry making up the rear under his Invisibility Cloak. She summoned an armful of additional drop cloths which they smoothed over every corner of the generously sized room. As an extra precaution, she added a dirt repellant charm to the pristine bed coverings to avoid greasy fingerprints.

“Eventually, we will have this room roped off as an exhibit,” Luna explained. “Perhaps we should have held off with the final renovations until then.”

Harry was about to ask her about the adjoining room when a silvery giraffe Patronus galloped through the wall and stopped before Tonks with a graceful dip of its long neck. “We were wondering how much longer you would be,” Remus’ voice issued forth. “We returned to Godric’s Hollow to find Dobby had laid out a lavish high tea worthy of Queen Victoria herself. Left to his own devices, he went into a baking frenzy this afternoon. I’ve already invited every available Weasley I could find. The children are demanding you re-enact your presentation with complete visual effects. Please feel free to invite the remainder of the cast as I’m laying out extra libations in light of the stormy weather.”

“Righto by me,” Moody growled amicably. “But I’m not playing the Dowager Queen this time, no matter how much Phoebe begs.”

“I’ll just Floo my wife that I’ll be delayed,” Kingsley remarked.

“Better yet, why don’t you bring her along?” Tonks proposed with a winning smile as she looked forward to seeing her children. If this wasn’t a command performance, she didn’t know what was.





“Don’t forget,” Ginny whispered as she sent Harry off to work that Monday. “Percy’s article is on page three. Mum Flooed while you were in the shower, complaining that he’d drifted in at two in the morning after working non-stop for close to 36 hours!”

The words echoed in his head as Harry headed down the marble corridors of the Ministry, nodding towards familiar faces along the way. The sensation of Ginny’s parting embrace was still fresh in his mind as he settled down at his desk. With a wordless command, he sent his heavy overcoat towards the rack and smoothed out the crisp pages of the Daily Prophet before him. Reviewing the morning’s edition was standard practice on Monday morning in the Auror Department “ unless an emergency situation meeting was announced, that is.

The extra duty at Saturday’s dedication ceremony likely meant Kingsley and Mad-Eye would be enjoying a leisurely breakfast before arriving for work that morning. Consequently, most employees were cocooned in their offices savoring the last memories of their weekend.

Just as in Sunday’s edition, the cover story was still about the War Museum. Harry smiled unconsciously as he found the sole reference to Dolores Umbridge as “outside sources who disagreed with the Ministry’s priorities.”

The Division of Publicity and Protocol, headed by one Percy Ignatius Weasley, was showcased on page three just as Molly had promised. Loosening his tie, Harry settled back to review the lengthy article before him.

Is a Cultural Revolution Called For?

How Soon Before Eeylops Emporium Only Sells Toy Owls?


It’s inconceivable that wizarding society could become a thing of the past. Our glorious achievements and history transformed into nothing more than a ghost story full of imaginary figures who traveled in make-believe worlds as Muggles trample over the ashes of our deeds.

But as we rub elbows daily with Muggles, in closer proximity with each passing year, is it really so far-fetched that Diagon Alley might someday be nothing but a memory? Eeylop’s Owl Emporium selling nothing but stuffed toys in plastic cages as a souvenir of glory days that have slipped through our fingers.

Not so, the Ministry’s new Cultural Affairs Office proclaims. “It’s time we made a conscious effort to preserve our wizarding heritage,” Penelope Clearwater, newly appointed coordinator vigorously attests. “Muggles do it all the time, even lend their royalty to the task. It’s about time wizards started doing the same before they out-pace us -- if they haven’t already.”

Not that the Ministry hasn’t struggled to maintain sanctuaries for magical creatures despite the never-ending difficulty of concealing them from Muggles who often surround even the most remote sites. The basalt columns of the sacred manticore breeding ground on the Isle of Staffa is one such place. Long avoided by superstitious Muggles who believed it to be the true site of Pluto’s escape with Persephone into the Underworld, it has become increasingly difficult to keep boatloads of curious tourists from cruising by at a safe distance.

But for the first time, the Ministry is turning to preserving sites important to wizards and witches themselves, not just for magical creatures.

As head of the Minister’s Publicity and Protocol Division, Percy Weasley is pleased that what started as a minor offshoot of his department is growing exponentially. “It all started with the War Museum,” he explains. “A unique site donated for our use with Muggle-repelling charms intact. It was not so easy to find other locales, however. Many important sites have been lost in the cobwebs of history. More modern ones often remain in the hands of private owners.”

Only recently, however, a rather unique tract of land was auctioned off by the village of Little Hangleton in Lincolnshire. A once sprawling house now derelict and overgrown, the family line of its owners untraceable. Muggles often drove past the barred gates just shaking their heads. Employing an intermediary company to complete the paperwork required by the courts, Ministry officials were able to obtain clear title.

“It’s bound to be a controversial landmark once it’s developed,” was the official word from Rufus Scimgeour, Minister for Magic. “But that just drives people to visit, doesn’t it?”

In a world where the stark meadow marking Dumbledore’s defeat of the evil Grindelwald has been paved over for the autobahn, it is a rarity that any land once held by a wizarding family is put up for sale. Doubly lucky that no heirs to the estate of Lord Voldemort, née Tom Marvolo Riddle, are likely to surface.

“It’s all here,” Ms. Clearwater assures us. “The boarded-up house where Death Eaters plotted long into the night. The bleak cottage where the aged caretaker maintained a solitary vigil, hobbiling down to the rusted mailbox each month to retrieve the cheque from his unseen benefactor.”

Although it may be as long as a year before the structures are refurbished sufficiently to be opened to the public, the adjoining site will be accessible within the next few months. The Cultural Affairs Office has also purchased the surrounding woods where young Merope Gaunt and her family, the last direct descendants of Salazar Slytherin, lived in a one-room cabin with a dirt floor. Those squalid conditions stand in stark contrast to the once palatial Riddle estate just visible over the hedgerows.

The infamous graveyard where the Riddle family mausoleums and baroque statuary bore witness to the Dark Lord’s gruesome resurrection has proven to be more problematic. Although the rusted iron fence is securely padlocked against those who cannot simply Apparate onto the site, that has not stopped Muggles from gawking at the spooky gravestones from the relative safety of the country lane.

“This presents a challenge,” Percy Weasley remarked. “But we are fully confident we will be able to employ special charms to protect our tour groups from being seen by Muggle motorists. As anyone who has ever attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry knows, the castle appears as a crumbling ruin to Muggles who wander too closely. We intend to employ similar charms with the entire Riddle estate.”

One has to ask, however, why the Riddle property? Why commemorate the origins of the most malevolent wizard ever to threaten the British Isles?

Penelope Clearwater shines a different light on it. “It’s a dark page in wizarding history; no one can deny that. But that’s not to say it’s a tale which should be buried, either. I see it as a cautionary tale: a fable of Cinderella tempered by gritty reality. Being a witch herself, Merope Gaunt didn’t need the services of a fairy godmother to ensnare her handsome neighbor; she could brew the love potion herself. Once the potion wore off, though, Tom Senior made it quite clear he wanted nothing to do with poor, heartbroken Merope. She wandered homeless and pregnant until she died giving birth to Tom Marvolo Riddle, the humble orphan who would grow up to proclaim himself Lord Voldemort.”

But it’s not just a bitter tale of unrequited love, Ms. Clearwater emphasizes. “The poignancy of Tom Riddle’s tale is that of unloved children worldwide, forced to grow up in sterile orphanages instead of being sheltered within a caring family. Would this child have matured into a respectable citizen if he’d had loving parents? I’d like to think so. But please don’t think I’m deriding orphanages; most are run by dedicated employees who do their best to provide these abandoned children with the best they can. But these children need the remainder of society to step forward, to offer them places in their homes.”

Accepting a job right out of school in a Ukrainian orphanage, Ms. Clearwater is clearly familiar with her subject matter. Hired to teach wizarding children to speak fluent English before their enrollment in wizarding schools, most notably the Durmstrang Institute, she has been a major advocate for child placement as well as the preservation of wildlife habitats worldwide.








Click, click, click. The heels of Harry’s polished loafers echoed in the cavernous confines of the Ministry Atrium. The soothing sounds of the golden fountain provided the only backdrop as inter-departmental memos commanded the air like miniature Harrier jets.

As if stepping out of a tomb, he passed through the glass doors leading to the employee courtyard. Often a sunny haven in spring and summer, it had been closed over by a translucent magical shield in deference to today’s brisk temperatures. Through the milky haze of cigarette smoke, a large flock of brownish geese dissolved into nothing more than dry leaves scattered by the bitter wind.

Harry spotted Ron almost immediately, his bright ginger hair eclipsed by his orange Chudley Canons tie. Despite a woolen jumper, Harry found himself huddling over the steaming cup of cocoa Ron pressed into his hands in greeting.

“Blimey!” Ron groused. “Must be a thousand wizards in this place and no one can cast a proper warming charm.”

“ ‘Gainst regulations,” the witch manning the concession stand assured them. “Don’t want ye ta vacillate away from yer desks fer long.”

“Good for business,” Ron shot back as he fastened his thick warm-up jacket. “So what’s up, Harry?” he posed once they were out of earshot.

“Just practicing my folding technique,” Harry returned lightly. “You make it sound like you’ve never received a memo before.”

“Sure, but not from you.” Through his fringe, Ron's look conveyed that Harry was as transparent as glass.

“Did you read the article in the Prophet?”

“The one quoting Percy? Mum sent me a copy while I was still in the shower. Ruddy owl sprayed water all over the bathroom tiles!”

Harry chuckled as Ron re-enacted trying the shoo the owl away with a wet towel. Refocusing on the subject at hand, he ventured, “The new head of the Cultural Affairs Office, her name sounds vaguely familiar…”

“I’d expect so!” Ron affirmed. “Penelope Clearwater was Percy’s main squeeze while he was Head Boy. You probably looked away in disgust whenever you caught them snogging in the shadows.”

“That could apply to a major cross-section of the student body,” Harry complained good-naturedly. “Could you describe her in a different way, please?”

Ron screwed up his face. “Well, since I usually saw her from the back, I remember she had long wavy hair. Rather like a dark waterfall over Percy’s scrawny arms.”

“House?”

“Ravenclaw, I think. Yeah, definitely Ravenclaw. Percy used to moon over the dark blue jumper bringing out the sapphire in her eyes.” Ron swooned like a love-sick teenager who had just swallowed a love potion, but Harry wisely avoided mentioning that particular incident.

“Wasn’t she also one of the students who was Petrified by the basilisk?” Harry recalled with sudden clarity.

“In the bed next to Hermione,” Ron amended as the fog cleared in his mind as well. “Frankly, I was surprised she used her maiden name. In the article, that is.”

“Now you’ve really lost me.”

“Penelope Clearwater married that star Quidditch player from Sweden, Umbriel Olin. Tall blonde chap. Percy must have been fit to be tied.”

“I suppose Percy denied it,” Harry acquiesced with a knowing smile.

“Can’t say,” Ron clarified with a small shrug. “All that happened while he was estranged from the family, as they say.”

“He was undercover with the Order,” Harry corrected.

“I know, but it makes for a more interesting story my way,” Ron maintained.

“What was the name of her husband again?”

“Olin. Only he’s not her husband anymore. Remember that freak Quidditch accident a number of years ago? Made all the record books.”

“Lots of accidents in Quidditch,” Harry replied. “I confess I don’t follow it as closely as you.”

“You would have read about this one. Bloke got creamed by two Bludgers to the head at once, from opposite directions. Threw him straight into the goal posts where his team mates rescued him as he was hanging by his fingertips.”

“Didn’t he walk away from that with only minor injuries?”

“If you call a dislocated shoulder minor,” Ron supplied. “But you’re essentially correct. The Healer set him right with a well-placed spell; wished him on his way with a supply of Pain Relieving Draughts for his head. Then two weeks later, he loses consciousness in the dressing room.”

Now Harry remembered; brain trauma, the Healers had called it. Olin had never regained consciousness. He remembered pictures of the grieving widow being splattered all over the papers, a small son clinging morosely to his mother’s hand. How could he have failed to make the connection before? Harry chided himself. The Olins had been the golden couple, caught in the spotlight as they devoted much of their free time to humanitarian causes.

“The International Quidditch Board gave her a hefty settlement. Rather generous insurance policies on one of their star players,” Ron added. “Not that it was reported in the papers. It was not too long after I joined the Games Department. I understand she divided the Galleons among a number of different foundations. Wildlife preservation, I think.”

Harry did a quick calculation in his head. That would make Penelope’s son about a year older than Teddy.

“How did Percy react?” Harry inquired more out of concern than a need to pry into another’s misfortunes.

Luckily, Ron thought nothing of his best friend’s question. “Can’t say for certain. He got all quiet like, but you know Perce. Clamming up is just business as usual for him. He was much the same when they broke up after graduation, although Mum was a lot more vocal about it.”

“Lots of people drift apart after they leave school,” Harry put in diplomatically.

“Right. Well, this was nothing like that. She told him right off, said he was only concerned about his own career and treated her as an accessory. The twins overheard.”

“So what did Molly say?”

“That he should give her a chance to cool off. Give her some time to get used to her new job abroad and then Floo her. Invite her for Christmas at the Burrow.”

“That would have been the year of the Triwizard Tournament,” Harry mused as he recalled a very stuffy and self-important Percy talking his ear off at the Yule Ball.

As if reading his friend’s mind, Ron continued, “Mum kept urging him to invite her to the Yule Ball. Said his boss could hardly object as Mr. Crouch had planned to bring his own wife. Mrs. Crouch visits the same hair dresser as Mum does.”

“So did Percy get cold feet?” Not that he was one to talk, Harry reminded himself.

Ron shook his head ruefully. “I’m fairly certain he never elaborated one way or the other. You’d have to ask Ginny, though, I’m sure she has a much better memory of it. She and Mum spent hours dissecting all our foibles on a regular basis. And believe me, Percy had more faults than anyone during those dark days.”

As they were getting ready for bed that evening, Harry asked Ginny to fill him in on the rest.

“It’s really not that complicated,” she observed with a dismissive shrug. “Typical male reaction; couldn’t get off the bloody fence. Too dense to admit to himself how much she meant to him and even more tongue-tied to actually voice it aloud.”

“Rather like Ron and Hermione you’re saying,” Harry allowed with an amused chuckle.

“That’s certainly one example. Luckily, Hermione had more common sense than Pen and simply cut through all that rubbish!”

“Hermione was quicker with a handy hex.”

“A witch has to have a ready arsenal these days. Love potions are just an elaborate way of lying to yourself.”

“So you think Percy was really broken hearted?”

“Remember those months when he wouldn’t speak to the family? Buried himself in his work to the point where he practically aped the Ministry’s most narrow-minded views?”

Harry nodded, recalling only too clearly how Percy had counseled Ron to distance himself when the Ministry wanted to discredit Harry’s account of Voldemort’s return. “I always remember how shocked I was that he didn’t see through Umbridge almost immediately.”

“Exactly. Bearing in mind that Percy’s probably the most cerebral of my brothers, it just didn’t make sense. Had me wondering for a while whether he’d been the one to be Imperiused.”

“You weren’t far off the mark, Gin. Percy’s boss was.”

“Right. Can’t say that didn’t give me nightmares,” she admitted in a hollow voice. “But Mum told us all along we were just overreacting. Said Percy was just dealing with his heartache in the best way he knew how “ and being a man, he got it all backwards yet again.”

Harry laughed weakly, dreading the comments that must have been made behind his own back.

“Despite the brave face, I’m certain Mum expected Percy to come running back to the Burrow at some point so she could help him put the pieces back together again.”

“Sublimating his sorrow into an undercover assignment for the Order took a tremendous amount of courage,” Harry defended.

“Too bad he wasn’t as successful as he would have liked. I think he would have relished being hailed as a conquering hero, at least in Penelope’s eyes.”

Harry nodded grimly as he recalled the frenzied weeks in the wake of Voldemort’s defeat. Everyone working non-stop to secure evidence of Death Eater activity so the guilty wouldn’t just melt away as they had before. At least, Mad-Eye’s obsessive study of the lingering signs of the Imperius Curse had prevented anyone from claiming the same excuse as before.

But in the case of Dolores Umbridge, luck had turned against them. Granted, it had been largely in part to the mismanagement of the archival subsection which had once been overseen by none other than Umbridge herself. It was not unusual for there to be confusion in the wake of a transition of power, as when Fudge had resigned as Minister in favor of Scrimgeour; but the paperwork usually settled after a few months, old documents finding their way into reorganized filing systems as a new order was established. In this instance, the process had been greatly streamlined by the absence of large chunks of documents which supposedly had been squirreled away to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. Most people had assumed Umbridge meant Voldemort’s hands, but the fact that none of those files had resurfaced in the six years since just made Harry all the more certain Dolores had meant to keep them out of the hands of anyone who sought to impose justice.

“So what do you think about Percy working so closely with Penelope these days? Do you think it will spark any old feelings?” Harry posed conversationally before turning off the lights.

“Considering how many women he’s dated in the past three or four years…” Ginny began.

“You don’t buy that it’s his new-found confidence and connections forged at work?”

Ginny snorted derisively. “Percy wishes everyone believed that, but I won’t deny he’s grown up a bit in the intervening years.”

“Molly’s whispered to me that she thinks Percy’s desperate to finally settle down.”

“She’s letting her own hopes color the facts,” Ginny pronounced with conviction.

“You sound distinctly like Remus when you say such things,” Harry noted with amusement.

“Too many years in the same house, I suppose. But I can’t deny he has a very analytical mind.”

“So what’s your own personal analysis, Ginny?”

“That Percy’s simply marking time as he moves from one woman to another. No one passes muster because they’re not sufficiently like Penelope.”

“But in the years they’ve been apart, Penelope herself may no longer match Percy’s idealized memory of her,” Harry pointed out.

“True, it may not work out the way he’s always secretly hoped,” Ginny pronounced in a philosophical tone. “But deep down in the romantic smidgen of his heart that he refuses to acknowledge, I think Percy still holds a candle for Penny.” She fluffed up her pillow before cuddling up next to him for the night. “Only time will tell.”

As he wrapped his arms around her rib cage, Harry couldn’t help considering his recent insights about how Ginny herself had yearned from afar for so many years. Perhaps her assessment of Percy’s motives weren’t so far off the mark, he decided. It was fair to say she was probably speaking from personal experience.
Ten: The Jackal and the Wolf by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Ten
The Jackal and the Wolf




Gerard Mortimer, senior partner of Mortimer & Mortimer, Ltd., took a moment from his busy day to gaze at the manicured square outside his office. Tremont Street it was called, although it was hardly more than a short alley adjacent to Charing Cross Road, a stone’s throw away from Diagon Alley. Harking from a time when even Muggles traveled mostly on foot or perhaps in horse-drawn carriages, its wide sidewalks were abundantly dotted with shade trees to provide a peaceful promenade. Long the preferred address for wizarding solicitors and high-priced investment bankers, it was protected from Muggle view by a wrought iron archway that displayed nothing more than a dark lair of rusted dustbins.

To witches or wizards, however, the view adjusted itself to the inviting square Mr. Gerard beheld outside his window. As one of the few literary agents catering to the magical community, Mortimer & Mortimer, Fine Purveyors of Magical Tomes, had long held a virtual monopoly on all manner of fictional and biographical material marketed to witches and wizards throughout Britain.

Mr. Gerard’s father had been nicknamed ‘the Bloodhound’ for his unerring ability to find the gems among the stacks of drivel arriving via owl post each day. His particular coup had been to sign the hugely popular Gilderoy Lockhart whose books had gone into numerous printings. Not that they hadn’t long ago suspected the man was a complete charlatan, albeit a very profitable one; but as the elder Mr. Mortimer had often said, “Our firm deals in fictions as well as biographies. As long as we don’t label Lockhart’s books as one or the other, the public is free to make up its own mind.” Such was the marketing genius Mr. Gerard did his daily best to emulate.

At first he had been relieved his father had not lived to see the day the firm’s premier client managed to end his own career by Obliviating himself with a malfunctioning wand. Mr. Gerard paid Lockhart the occasional visit in the Incurable Ward, brightening up the poor man’s dreary existence with a few requests for autographed copies of his books. Lockhart was beside himself with joy at complying and Mr. Gerard had a few more collector’s copies he could sell at a premium. That was the most peculiar thing of all: now that the public had become aware that Lockhart was an outright liar, they continued to buy his books as works of light fiction.

Mr. Gerard had been totally thunderstruck by this phenomenon although he suspected his father’s spirit was chuckling down at him in amusement. It was only when they took on a Muggle-born wizard as one of their newest bookbinders that Mr. Gerard learned of ghostwriters. Not dead souls as in the wizarding world, the young man had been quick to point out, but anonymous writers who sold their services to celebrities and others whose name alone was enough to guarantee a book’s profitability.

“Despite that celebrities themselves are barely able to pen a thank you note to their aunt without the services of three personal assistants,” the young bookbinder had confided under his breath.

Unlike Lockhart in his prime, Muggles did not Obliviate their ghostwriters in return for their services. But only, Mr. Gerard suspected, because they did not know how.

Pacing the elegant rug, he conceded that the restlessness he felt in his legs, the very frisson of excitement, was anticipation. It had been a long time since his firm had discovered a new voice in the wilderness; one who was sure to set the literary world on fire “ at least in wizarding circles. As much as he longed to parlay his find among the Muggle booksellers as well “ they would just categorize it a fantasy fiction, anyway “ he feared his client would insist on pushing the Statute of Secrecy beyond its limits. Best he keep his sights upon the wizarding world “ for now.

A knock on the door caused him to whip around expectantly as an assistant arrived with the mock-up of the book cover for final approval. With a critical eye, Mr. Gerard unfurled the thick parchment and tacked it briefly on the wall before him with a few gentle taps of his wand. Then he backed up a few steps to gauge the impact it would have in a shop window.

The yellow feral eyes were arresting to be sure, drawing the attention of passersby as their breath invariably would catch in their throats. The velvety black of the background was broken by the trajectory of an alabaster moon as it progressed through its phases, only subtly lingering as it reached the full moon at its zenith. Timed to coincide, the pupil of the right eye dissolved into an indistinct moving shape guaranteed to entice the viewer closer. Depicted in a shadowy half-light, the slightly hunched figure walked on two legs but was clearly not the silhouette of an ordinary man. The details were wisely left to the reader’s imagination. There were those who would want to envision the protagonist as a brutal maniac without conscience or remorse. But Mr. Gerard’s experience told him there would be many, mostly women, who would romanticize the demon and endeavor to paint him in a more favorable light. He also knew that both types of readers were necessary to guarantee the success of a book.

With a curt nod of approval, he quickly re-rolled the parchment sample and placed it into the waiting hands of his assistant. “It’s perfect, Marcus,” he intoned with satisfaction. “Please let me know when the first volume comes off the press so I can forward it to my client. I will be drafting him a short note in the meanwhile.”

With that in mind, Mr. Gerard set his quill to parchment and began:

My esteemed sir:

With great pleasure, I am enclosing the first copy off our presses. I cannot thank you enough for bringing the uniqueness of your tale to our attention. As you will see, your words required very little editing; just a twitch here or there to make the story flow more logically. Yours is such a singular voice we are all certain it will reverberate among wizards everywhere.

Please do not concern yourself with your current circumstances. We have opened a Gringotts vault in your name where we have deposited the sum of your advance as well as any royalties that will accumulate according to further sales. As you requested, we will also forward to Gringotts all documents recounting in detail all sums paid to you.

Although new authors customarily embark on personal appearances to promote their works, we believe you are better served to remain a mystery in the reader’s eyes. If allowed, we may bring a small quantity of volumes for your autograph at a later date. Please be reassured that should you decide to grant any interviews, these can easily be routed via wireless communications so only the timbre of your voice is revealed.

We look forward to a long and profitable partnership.


With an elaborate signature in royal blue ink, Mr. Gerard added his name in representation of the firm and applied a quick drying charm before placing the letter aside.

The task complete, he was once again drawn to the scene outside his window. A practiced flourish of his wand released the sash so he could savor the very air of the vibrant city poised to make him an even richer man. To the less discriminating, the sharp smell of acrid car exhaust and smoke would have been off-putting, but to Mr. Gerard the air smelled of success. Why, the Christmas holidays were just around the corner and he would have his newest sensation in Flourish & Blotts’ window display by mid-week. Despite the rheumy eyes behind tiny glasses that gave him the look of a timid mole surveying the world outside its burrow, Mr. Gerard was anything but. After all, it was a known fact that Mr. Gerard’s Patronus assumed the shape of a jackal.






In retrospect, Kingsley Shacklebolt could not say what had made him stop at the small kiosk outside the Ministry’s employee entrance that day. Perhaps it was the aroma of the witch’s legendary scones which combined the bite of crystallized ginger with the subtle spice of ebony gooseberries.

Perhaps, if he was totally honest with himself, it was the feeling of being watched; an invaluable sixth sense to an Auror, particularly one who had witnessed so much in a mere decade’s worth of service. The yellow eyes on the cover were both compelling and unsettling at the same time. A combination that to an Auror always spelled danger. Had it been winter’s first bite of freezing rain that sent an involuntary shiver down his spine that morning? Or was it a feeling of premonition? The book had no title to draw the eye, but was it really necessary? Hadn’t his eye already been mesmerized, curiosity compelling him to shell out his Galleons so he could tear the clear wrapping off and fervently flip to the first page?

The author’s desire for anonymity was evident from the first words that leapt from the page:

There isn’t a single werewolf who will tell you that his enhanced abilities are a curse. That is the view of an outsider, one who has not felt the power course through his veins in time to the elusive music of the moon. It is a melody our unique hearing allows us to appreciate as we are disposed to obey her every wish.


When he reached his office, he instructed his assistant to clear his calendar for the day, no exceptions. By the time he had finished the first handful of pages, he was Flooing Minerva McGonagall and requesting permission to visit. She assured him Remus had classes until after lunch, but that he had a free period at two. Kingsley made arrangements to join her for an early tea in her private garden; she promised she would have Remus join them.






“Surely you don’t think this is my doing?” Remus asked as he looked up from the first explosive passage.

“Is it accurate?” Kingsley probed, not allowing the other man to turn uncomfortably away. “I apologize if these things are too private.”

“It’s my own personal purgatory, Kingsley. I have no desire to share it with the world.”

“Not even if you thought the world might loosen its prejudice if it had a more complete picture?” Kingsley suggested.

“These are hardly the words of one who wishes to promote understanding.”

“Perhaps not, but sometimes a dialog is begun by crude means. It does not make the person any less sincere,” Minerva proposed in a diplomatic manner.

“What I need to know, Remus, is whether these words ring true?” Kingsley implored. “Or could they be the work of a writer who has simply put himself into someone else’s shoes?”

“A gifted author can still make his words ring true,” Remus argued. “That’s what research is all about.”

“True,” Kingsley allowed as he considered Remus’ words. “In your opinion, could someone have penned this tale without speaking with a werewolf?”

“I don’t think so. Others may have felt the need to share their tribulations in such graphic detail with strangers; I have not.”

“Perhaps if you read a little further you might get a better idea of what I’m getting at,” Kingsley urged. “I apologize for putting you on the spot like this.”

“But I’m the only pet werewolf you have on hand, eh?” Remus shot back with a self-deprecating lift to his eyebrow.

“Something like that.” Kingsley chuckled mirthlessly in the face of reality as was often Remus’ habit.

The Headmistress called for some additional sandwiches as she excused herself to deal with the ever-present paperwork. “Do you wish me to see about Serenity, Remus?”

“If you would, Minerva. I left her a stack of papers to mark but I don’t want her to think I’ve abandoned her to her drudgery.”

With a flick of her wand, Minerva levitated a choice selection of items from the tea tray onto a small plate. “A little snack works wonders, I always say.”






An hour later, Remus raised haunted eyes to Kingsley’s inscrutable face. “This is monstrous,” he hissed succinctly, barely suppressing a desire to toss the book high and set an Incarcerous Hex to it while still in mid-air. Only his inherent respect for books in general halted him. “You’ll forgive me if I don’t feel like I can go any further today.”

“I’m sorry to dump this on your doorstep, Remus. If there was any other way…”

Remus waived the protestations off as inconsequential. “To answer your earlier question: I would think this is a firsthand account. It may have been dictated to another, that I would have no way to determine. But the words clearly come from the gut.”

“A factual tale, then.”

“I wouldn’t go that far. The facts may be accurate, but their inflammatory tone changes everything.”

“You don’t think the frustration he feels with society’s prejudices is palatable?” Kingsley posed.

“These are the words of a bully complaining he is misunderstood, not the words of a reasonable man who rails against injustice.”

“You don’t think it’s just that he lacks your eloquence?”

“Hardly,” Remus scoffed. “Speaking from the heart requires no eloquence, just unwavering self-honesty. This is someone who has deluded himself into a case of righteous anger.”

“Like a criminal who blames society for leading him into a life of crime?”

“Indeed.” Remus pursed his lips in thought before expounding, “A brute with more skill at persuasion than I’ve ever been able to muster, unfortunately.”

“What about his descriptions? Do they strike you as reticent in their starkness?”

“If you mean to suggest: are they the words of someone who abhors violence to the point he wishes to dwell upon it as little as possible? No, this person is so inured to violence that it deserves only a cursory glance.”

“Forgive me for asking this, Remus, and please understand I do not think of you in this way…” Kingsley waited for Remus’ imperceptible nod before venturing, “Are all werewolves this ruthless?” He was not prepared for the candid response he received.

“I have no bloody idea! Pardon the pun. I don’t remember anything that transpires when I’m in an altered state. Even when I was running for my very life, I had to piece the facts together like a jigsaw puzzle. That he doesn’t make that clear to his readers is a gross omission of fact.”

“What if this fiend remembers…” Kingsley considered. “Could he be different?”

“Could it be that since he embraces his alter ego so fervently, he is able to remember?”

“You think it might be possible?” Kingsley gasped.

“Anything is possible. There is so little known about werewolves it’s a joke! But if you were to ask me, I might hedge my bets by suggesting this man is immersed in violence during all phases of the moon.”

“An assassin?”

“Perhaps. A butcher in every meaning of the term.”

“Why does he feel a need to pen his tale then?” Kingsley mused, not expecting the ready answer he received.

“It is his manifesto,” Remus intoned. “Like Hitler’s Mein Kampf.”






It had become required reading in the Department for the Control and Regulation of Magical Creatures by the time Hermione returned from maternity leave. Granted, they were not a group so easily swayed by an upstart’s words. Most employees had interacted with those they protected enough to have formed their own opinions.

“Take it with a grain of salt,” was the most common expression. Yet Hermione couldn’t help but think that to Remus, it was tantamount to rubbing salt in his wounds.

Seeking a bit of comfort in the midst of her reading assignment, she sought out the most trusted veteran of all: Amos Diggory.

“Lass, don’t give it another thought,” Amos soothed her frayed nerves. “Wouldn’t surprise me if someone was exploiting some poor creature. Making money off the backs of the less fortunate is nothing new.”

“But to think that so many innocents have suffered so…” She stopped as she felt the sting of angry tears.

“A quick death almost seems preferable, doesn’t it?”

She nodded tearfully before she realized her faux pas. “Oh, Amos, please don’t think….Cedric didn’t deserve to die at all!”

“Nor do werewolves deserve to suffer,” Amos intoned quietly. “But Remus would be upset to think you pitied him.”

“How did you know I was thinking of him? Do you two even know one another?”

Amos gave her a small enigmatic smile. “Our paths have crossed once or twice. He’s the best in all of us, Hermione. That he’s a werewolf is no more significant than the color of his hair, when you get down to it.”

“I’ve always thought so, too.” Already Hermione felt heartened by Amos’ benevolent gaze.

“Pain is the way of life, unfortunately. The pain of childbirth…”

“But I wouldn’t write a volume glorifying it!”

“Not even if such realistic depictions would inspire others to be more responsible with unwanted pregnancies?”

“No, it’s much too personal an experience. Let my memories fade.”

“That’s precisely the way Remus would have reacted. Perhaps we should dwell upon the commonality of our experiences and not our differences.”

“Thanks, Amos. You’re a gem.” She leaned over and gave him a quick hug as she got to her feet.

“Remember that next time promotions come around, dear.”






Harry waited until they had walked far enough down the cobbled lane that Teddy’s forlorn face was no longer visible in the window. The boy had not totally understood why he was being excluded from the man-to-man talk when Harry and Remus had excused themselves.

Looking down at his small figure with a bemused crease between his childish brow, Teddy remarked, “Don’t I qualify?”

“Not just yet, Spook,” Remus intoned with a barely contained smile.

Only the seriousness of the subject matter at hand kept Harry from chuckling outright. Teddy was such a carbon copy of his father at times that it was a constant source of amusement.

“Hermione came by my office today,” Harry began hesitantly. “The book’s become required reading in her department…She was concerned about you.”

“I take it she wasn’t looking for a bit of literary conversation?” Remus replied as he tried to make light of things.

“She left me this note for you.” Harry held out the small envelope.

Wordlessly, Remus unfolded the creamy parchment, his footsteps slowing as he read.

Dear Remus,

Forgive my stumbling words at a time like this. Any attempts to empathize throughout the years have been woefully inadequate, of that there can be no doubt.

Do not let others hold up a mirror to you that is tainted. Rest assured that those who are fortunate enough to call you friend will never think anything but the best of you “ as you have demonstrated time and time again.

If there’s anything I’ve learned while working in the Department for the Regulation and Control, it is that these kind people are motivated by compassion and an unwavering sense of the injustice that has long been meted out to segments of our population who do not have political clout. Despite being entrusted with the enforcement of archaic laws which seek to delineate who may be considered a being or a beast, everyone here believes that we are all part of the same complex cloth and that labeling is counterproductive.

Like all tempests, this will soon blow itself out. All you have to do is hang on. We are here if you need us in any way.


It was signed by both Hermione and Amos Diggory. Remus felt his heart hitch as he lowered the parchment to his side.

“Please thank Hermione for her kind words,” he entreated Harry through dry lips. “I will Floo her personally as soon as I am able.”

Their quiet footsteps continued along the disused track that has once been an elegant drive leading horse-drawn vehicles up to the gates of the front garden. With all the leaves gone from the trees, the two of them were as wraiths in a wood full of faceless sentinels, protected from the eyes of the world yet finding no inner peace.

In the far distance, they could just see the sloping roof of the caretaker’s cabin situated immediately inside the outer walls to the property. Beyond, the country lane wove among disused meadows surrounding the township of Godric’s Hollow. So close to dusk, there was no smoke drifting up from the cabin’s chimney, but Harry had no doubt Dobby would soon be stoking up the fire when he retired for the night.

The house-elf had not hesitated to claim the small cabin for his own from the start, setting up a pair of small cots to entertain guests in the single whitewashed room. A child’s set of drawers and a miniature table and chairs had followed as the elf learned of the fabulous London flea markets from Tonks.

Much to everyone’s surprise, Hagrid had found instant kinship with Dobby and often stayed in the cabin when he came to visit the family. Remus had shaken his head at the improbable tableau of the half-giant with the tiny elf as they sat companionably under the small overhang, blowing twin plumes of cigar smoke towards the sky. With a few well-placed charms, Remus adjusted the interior dimensions of a broom cupboard to create an additional room with an extra large bed for Hagrid. Fang had instantly taken to flushing every last songbird and squirrel from the adjoining woods while barking happily non-stop. Unlike the Forbidden Forest, no dangerous creatures lurked within the shelter of the estate’s enclosing walls “ not now that the Death Eaters had been dispatched.

“I finished reading the book,” Harry ventured, stealing a look at Remus out of the corner of his eye.

Remus gazed casually at the horizon before returning his focus to the uneven cobbles at his feet. He waited for Harry to continue.

“Thankfully, it wasn’t too long. There’s only so much diatribe a person can take in one sitting.”

“You can imagine how I felt,” Remus replied woodenly.

“I marked the more telling sections if you want to avoid the ordeal of finishing it,” Harry offered helpfully.

“Very considerate. I promised I’d get back to Kingsley if I had any other thoughts.”

They continued in silence for another few yards as the purple sky of evening encroached upon the final brushstrokes of the setting sun. With a slight shiver, Harry zipped his woolen parka closed against the cold of night.

“Have you?” Harry posed.

“Have I what?”

“Have you had any other thoughts? About the book, I mean.”

“Other than running down the soulless degenerate who penned it?”

“Admittedly, my thoughts were dominated by images of a huge bonfire,” Harry allowed in spirit. “But then I remembered the Inquisition.”

“Having a conscience can be a real bugger, don’t you think?” Remus returned sardonically. “Why don’t you read me the sections you marked? Then at least I won’t hear that demonic snarl inside my head.”

“You’re convinced it’s Fenrir Greyback, aren’t you?” Harry posited, recalling vividly the menacing aura of the man he’d encountered briefly at the scene of Dumbledore’s murder.

“Unless you have another suspect…” Remus raised troubled eyes to Harry’s face.

Harry shook his head glumly. “Not really, but I don’t really know…”

“You think I might have encountered others during my undercover assignment?” Remus supplied as he sensed Harry’s discomfort.

“Something like that.”

“There are a few possibilities, but no one who I can confirm is still alive--”

“”while Greyback is in Azkaban,” Harry finished for him. “The Daily Prophet featured him being hauled off in chains, practically foaming at the mouth.”

“Can you imagine what type of monster he becomes with the full moon?” Remus observed so quietly Harry had to strain to hear.

“One that bears no resemblance to you.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, Harry. I wish the rest of the world thought the same.”

“No one associates you with Greyback, Remus. That’s all--”

“”a figment of my overactive imagination?” Remus cut across him sharply. “I owe the pathetic state of my existence to him!”

“Actually, I was going to say it was all a great big pile of bunk,” Harry reprimanded softly. “But, Remus, unless you’re swearing vendetta, let it go. And I suspect Tonks might take offense at your description of your married life as pathetic.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Remus conceded in a hollow tone.

They climbed the two steps leading onto the shadowy porch of the cabin. Sitting themselves on overturned crates, Remus sent a spark towards the metal lantern hanging from the rafters. As the worn stones were bathed in warm amber, the twinkling stars in the night sky made their earthly troubles seem less overpowering.

Instead of digging gloves out of his pockets, Remus’ hand emerged clasping the neck of a small bottle of Irish whiskey. “Can’t have a man-to-man talk without some sustenance,” he remarked with a hint of the Marauder’s grin. “It’s one of Padfoot’s bylaws.”

Harry did not question the reference to a man dead for close to a decade; Remus often spoke as if he’d just had a conversation with Sirius. Likely, the man’s guardian star was shining down upon them even as they spoke if Harry recalled anything from his Astronomy lessons.

Taking a small swallow to clear the cobwebs from his throat, Harry found the first passage he had marked.

Not everyone has the fortitude to survive a transformation into our ranks. Is it the mark of a lesser being who succumbs to death rather than embrace his new existence? I do not seek to pass judgment upon others; I’ve had enough of that heaped upon my own back, more than enough to have shattered a lesser man.

To be a werewolf is to experience a pain so profound that it sears the breath from our very lungs, leaving us weak from oxygen as the power in our limbs is increased tenfold. The moon’s gentle caress becomes the merciless rapier of transformation as we are remade. What is life without pain? All childbirth requires it; even the rebirth which we experience with each lunar cycle.


Harry stopped for a moment to catch his breath, stealing a look at Remus’ implacable expression before pressing on to another section.

What does life hold for those like me? Not the narrow horizons society wishes to impose. One faction promises us incarceration for the sake of our own well-being as it tightens the yoke with the hand it holds behind its back. Be the vanguard to wipe out oppression, the opposition offers us. Vague promises, both reeking equally of betrayal. Hollow dreams that will be twisted in such a way that werewolves are excluded once again.

No one to offer an olive branch, a chance to coexist as magical beings all. Heresy? To think of werewolf rights is to hitch one’s wagon to the mercurial whims of Beelzebub himself. But at the heart of lies, one finally finds the kernel of truth. They fear us. They fear what they make no effort to understand, what they cannot subjugate, what they cannot break. It is our strength as much as our Achilles’ heel.


Remus’ lips were pressed tightly together, his jaw clenching and unclenching as he willed the primal scream building in this throat to chain itself in the dungeon once more. The shadows of unacknowledged demons flitted soundlessly across sightless eyes.

Yet Harry forced himself to read on. Only the conclusion remained.

But the answer is clear: we do not need the others. We are an army onto ourselves. What does it matter that we make worthless treaties with conflicting forces? Both plan to leave us broken in the middle, the vicious shield that brings their enemies to their knees in submission.

The power is in our hands; we have but to use it to our own ends. In a world that does not want us, that is not to say we don’t want the world. If others will not share, then they leave us no choice but to wrench our due from their lifeless hands.

Join ranks with us if you dare, for we are the future. We are man’s next step in their evolutionary journey. Despite the perfidy surrounding us on all sides, we will endure while others perish.


Harry closed the volume firmly once he had finished, his voice fading into the silent woods like a cluster of insubstantial bats. Next to him, Remus sat hunched forward, staring off into the darkening horizon. There was no doubt he had heard every syllable, weighed it and considered it, and it had been a far from pleasant experience. Harry could feel the vortex of Remus’ roiling thoughts as he waited for some reaction.

Whatever he was expecting, it didn’t come. With a weary sigh, Remus simply rose to his feet and waited for Harry to follow him down the steps. They hiked the familiar track back to the distant glow of the house windows. No need to light wand tips to act as kindly will-o’-the-wisps to guide them home.

A sudden break in the cloudbank shrouding a tentative moon cast a sinister glow on trees in their path. Even Remus, who treated the night with natural insouciance, was momentarily caught short.

“What the bloody he--” he gasped as he feverishly cast a Homenum Revelio spell. There was no one. Not even a nocturnal animal to be flushed away as their soundless steps inched closer.

Just as abruptly, Harry doubled up with laughter. “A deep-seated fear of wood you didn’t tell me about?” he wheezed with a grin. “Perhaps a childhood encounter with a rabid bowtruckle that left you traumatized?”

Catching on almost immediately, Remus chuckled weakly in relief. “You mean that’s just Hagrid's woodpile? Looks completely different in the moonlight.”

“Even in a Muggle horror movie, we would need a lightning bolt to shear down and animate it to life,” Harry observed with a snigger. “Looks like he’s been getting more supplies together since the last time I checked. No wonder we didn’t recognize the contours.”

“What sort of project does he have in mind?” Remus posed as he circled warily around. “All I know for sure is he’s being very secretive.”

“Too many little ears everywhere, if you know what I mean,” Harry breathed. Then extracting a promise that Remus would keep the information to himself, Harry detailed Hagrid’s plans in a bare whisper.

“A tree house?” Remus was clearly not expecting this.

“Don’t say anything to Spook or Rabbit,” Harry cautioned. “Hagrid wants it to be a surprise for the spring. He was concerned Tonks might think it too dangerous.”

“Perhaps Fleur will, but not Tonks,” Remus asserted with a wry chuckle. “You’re more likely to find her climbing up right behind them.”

“I’ll tell Hagrid to make it extra sturdy then.”

“I can just see them,” Remus mused with a crooked grin. “Sitting with crossed legs in a circle as they make elaborate plans for conquest. The perfect embodiment of the Lost Boys; Phoebe as the youngest Tinker Bell on record.”

Harry stopped himself from asking additional questions as the reference to Peter Pan sank in. Of course. How many times had Ginny been roped into playing Tiger Lily so she and Spook could go skulking around the wooded grounds? It was eerie how well that boy could sneak up on just about anyone. Not that his own lame attempts at impersonating Captain Hook had met with much success, Harry allowed; not even after Remus devised a spell to transfigure his wand into a large hook. Ginny was right: he was better suited to the role of d’Artagnan in such an outfit. Tonks had practically laughed herself into a puddle when his stab at Hook’s villainous “ yet comical “ swagger had reminded her of a mincing transvestite.

Remus had taken pity on his humiliation at that point and offered the large plumed hat to any other of the adult birthday guests who were assembled on the back lawn. Instinctively, everyone’s eyes settled on Snape where he stood absently sipping from his mug. Harry had only to squint his eyes to envision white lace adorning the sleeves just peeking out from the man’s black frock coat. With the addition of the hat, the illusion would be perfect.

“Don’t even consider it,” Snape drawled dangerously without turning his head. “I don’t do cheap theatrics for children’s parties. There are professionals you can hire for that sort of thing. Surely you’re aware of that, Lupin?”

“But would they have your inimitable style?” Tonks had crooned.

“Perhaps not,” Snape allowed as he pursed his thin lips to convey that flattery would not work. “But the answer is still no.”

Really, if he just channeled all his disdain and sarcasm into the role, he would be superb, Harry couldn’t help but think. Not that he was brave enough to suggest it to a man already fingering his wand.

“What if it were your daughter?” Remus persisted in a jovial tone. “Could you turn her down so easily?”

“Thankfully, we will never know, will we?” Snape returned sharply. Then lowering his voice to a menacing whisper, he hissed, “Or perhaps I would just buy her a red capuchin and invite you over, Lupin. How would that be?”

Totally unfazed, Remus had thrown his head back in irreverent laughter as he mockingly saluted Snape for the well-placed barb. Snape did his best to hide his self-satisfied smirk as he took a long swallow of the pirate’s grog billowing dangerously about his features.

Their arrival at the gate to the front garden brought Harry back to the present. He could tell that the plans for the tree house had put Remus in better spirits as well.

Barely stopping to leave his coat in the Mud Room, Remus swept his two children into his arms and settled them on the sofa before the roaring fire. While Tonks implored them to drink their cocoa so they could go to bed, Remus regaled them with fantastical tales of the giant bowtruckle he and Harry had defeated in valiant combat.






Although the month of December had barely begun, Diagon Alley was awash in an orgy of Yuletide decorations. Even on a dingy day when the icy wind alone would keep shoppers at bay, Kingsley was always heartened by strings of artificial faerie lights dispelling the afternoon gloom. Not that it made his errand any less ponderous, he considered inwardly, but at least it reminded him that happier times were now the norm rather than the exception.

The noxious scent of diesel fumes assaulted his nostrils as he exited the Leaky Cauldron. Somehow Muggle London always seemed dingy and grey after the riotous cheer of the wizarding world. The elegant Georgian fronts of the offices lining Tremont Street lay peaceful beneath a fresh blanket of snow, the brick sidewalks studiously plowed but devoid of life nonetheless. It was only as Kingsley mounted the wide stone steps leading up to the premises of Mortimer & Mortimer that it hit him: the holly wreath adorning the shiny black door was the only concession to the holidays within sight.

Knowing he was expected, he stepped into a tall receiving area with deep carpeting that seemed to swallow his boots and muffle all sounds from the outdoors. The walls were adorned with autographed covers of the past decade’s most popular books, a testament to the agency’s acumen in choosing their clients. Kingsley ignored the images of Gilderoy Lockhart which followed him from frame to frame as if desperate for an encouraging word from one of their fans. In the place of honor stood a golden easel with the fiery eyes staring defiantly at him, daring him to assault the curtain of anonymity.

“Mister Shacklebolt, it’s truly a pleasure,” oozed a smallish man dressed impeccably in charcoal grey pinstripes. “Gerard Mortimer at your service. I can only imagine what important inquiries must have drawn you away from your desk at the Ministry today.”

After a wordless handshake, Kingsley allowed himself to be ushered into a sumptuous office with dark furnishings which looked as if no one ever sullied their polished surfaces with mundane paperwork. Refusing to be intimidated, Kingsley leaned back into the deep confines of a leather chair and crossed his long legs before him. Having brushed off an assistant’s offer of tea or perhaps something stronger to keep out the cold, he waited for Mr. Gerard to assume his position behind the desk.

Breaking with custom, however, Mr. Gerard simply rested his manicured hands on the back of the desk chair and remained standing. Locking eyes with the dark skinned Auror, he ventured, “Surely a busy man like yourself didn’t come by for a social visit. Your demeanor suggests you have something on your mind.”

“Don’t play the innocent with me, Mortimer,” Kingsley rumbled. “You know very well why I’m here.”

“To parlay an opening chapter to a very engaging autobiography?” Mr. Gerard suggested artfully. “Even a rough outline will suffice, we have many assist--”

“Enough!” Kingsley’s voice was no more than a whisper, but it reverberated against the paneled walls. “Your semblance of respectability can’t hide the fact that you’re harboring a criminal.”

“Really, Mr. Shacklebolt! You’re welcome to search the premises if you like. Call an entire squad to comb the area, as the expression goes.”

“You know exactly what I mean. That book…that abomination…was hardly penned by an imaginative widower living on a pension.”

“No, it would not be selling so well if it had. It was a rare stroke of luck to sign the genuine article to our client list, but he insisted on anonymity.”

“So the book would suggest. No author, no title.”

“Just a cover,” Mr. Gerard affirmed. “A bit of marketing genius by one of my rising stars in the distribution office.”

“Who is the author? I’m here as the official arm of the Minister for Magic himself,” Kingsley intoned solemnly. “The request comes directly from him.”

“So that explains the Head Auror being sent out to do a bit of legwork.” Mr. Gerard chuckled lowly. Looking at Kingsley directly, he added, “I’ve never met the man.”

“Surely you don’t expect me to believe that!” Kingsley raised his eyebrows to convey his skepticism.

“Believe whatever you like. The man you seek is locked away in Azkaban. What he chooses to pen in his ample free time is really no concern of yours.”

“He speaks of raising an army.”

“An army of like-minded individuals. He may dream of repopulating the world with werewolves, but I doubt the guards would allow the penitents access to his cell block. Not that anyone is likely to seek him out.”

“Come now, readers often seek out authors; be they inspiring or controversial, it matters not. Surely you’ve organized enough book signings to know that,” Kingsley urged expertly.

“So that cretin at Flourish & Blotts would have you believe, no doubt!” Mr. Gerard scoffed.

“I won’t deny I made a slight detour there. You wouldn’t begrudge me a bit of holiday shopping, would you? After all, your firm was very careful to time the book’s release to coincide with the Yuletide season, wasn’t it?”

“Surely the Auror Department doesn’t want to suggest there’s anything untoward about a literary agent finding a niche for a unique client.” Mr. Gerard smiled in a decidedly feral manner.

“No interviews, either?” Kingsley provoked. “Those are pretty standard in the case of a book that’s been selling steadily. The public must be hungering for more.”

“Let them clamor. My client prefers to remain in the shadows, mysterious and aloof. Such were the terms of his contract.”

“A contract you’re unlikely to let me see,” Kingsley prodded.

“I’m under no obligation to do so, as you are well aware, Mr. Shacklebolt. Your authority exists only when a crime has been committed.”

“Peddling Lockhart’s misrepresentations should qualify.”

“Perhaps, but my father was unaware of the man’s duplicity when he signed him on. Another victim of Lockhart's dazzling smile, one might say. The volumes have since been labeled as fiction; therefore, they are free to depart from reality in whatever way they please.”

“Your current client is hardly a gormless egotist,” Kingsley countered. “His words clearly convey that.”

“No one’s ever been endangered by ink on paper alone “ except perhaps the ignorant.” Mr. Gerard chuckled at his own joke. Seating himself in the oversized chair behind the desk, he steepled his hands carefully before raising his eyes.

Pressing his advantage, Kingsley posed, “If your client is the ‘genuine article’ as you claim, don’t you find it unsettling when he insinuates of dark plots and convoluted loyalties?”

“Paranoia. Hardly an unexpected phenomenon within the forbidding walls of Azkaban.” Looking at Kingsley over the rims of his narrow glasses, Mr. Gerard added in an artful whisper, “The ambient temperature inside is so frigid that one is constantly on the lookout for dementors “ even today.”

“So I’ve been told,” Kingsley rejoined with a dark scowl. “But Aurors have official reasons to travel there, regardless of how odious a task… What could possibly draw a man of letters like yourself?”

“One hears rumors. A turn of phrase here or there. With as much owl traffic as they allow, descriptive phrases from within are bound to escape.”

“See to it that’s the only thing that escapes.” Despite his even tone, Kingsley’s dark eyes burned ominously.

“Mr. Shacklebolt, please. I’m hardly a black marketeer sneaking off to meet his clients in Knockturn Alley.”

But I just bet you have a lackey who would, Kingsley noted inwardly.

Suddenly eager to appease, Mr. Gerard offered with strained humility, “If an escapee were to show up here, I quite assure you he would be turned over to Magical Law Enforcement immediately. That is not the way this firm does business.”

A reputation to maintain among the neighboring firms, Kingsley amended. Yet he still remained silent. It was an interrogation technique that had yet to fail him, although he’d been unable to train others to maintain the necessary stillness.

“What would you have of me?” Mr. Gerard proffered.

“Other than the contract?”

“I would lose any credibility among my clients.”

“How about the truth for once?” Kingsley shot back.

Much to his surprise, Mr. Gerard threw back his head and emitted a high-pitched laugh. “What ever would I want with truth?” At Kingsley’s steady look, he expounded, “If you came here looking for truth, then perhaps I should refer you to my textbook division. Steady income and all that, but not very exciting. Sold it to a relation over a decade ago.”

“We all have our own versions of the truth,” Kingsley avowed. “That’s the first paradox an Auror must master: the fluidity of the truth.”

Mr. Gerard gave him a sharp, appraising look before he returned, “I deal in entertainment, my good man. The truth or reality or plausibility of it is irrelevant. Be it the housewife who seeks an illicit romance with a swash-buckler or a studious armchair type who imagines himself an intrepid explorer, they’re seeking to escape reality. No one wants to be faced with their true limitations.”

“Still you have to admit, this new book of yours is selling a rather edgy daydream, don’t you think?” Kingsley commented.

“A bit of harmless danger in a time of peace,” Mr. Gerard clarified. “Such a phenomenon is nothing new. Humanity is rebellious to the core, always seeking what it doesn’t have at hand.”

“You’re deluding yourself, Mortimer,” Kingsley intimated darkly. “You dangle a carrot before a madman who won’t think twice of simply taking your arm off. His excuse will be that it’s more expedient that way.”

“Sounds like you know my client better than I do.”

“Let’s just say I’m better acquainted with darkness. Familiar enough to recognize it when it wraps itself in a fancy package.”

“My client is already serving time for his errors. So I would ask you, Mr. Shacklebolt, why are you so intent on pursuing a man who has already owned up to his guilt?”

“I believe he may hold the key to other more insidious crimes. Infractions committed by others who have been able to escape prosecution.”

“I was under the impression the Great Wizarding War was over. Big dedication ceremony to commemorate the heroes and all that. You showed quite a different side of yourself.” Mr. Gerard waited patiently for his barb to hit home.

“What can I say? I’m a man of many talents, some of which don’t get much of a workout in my line of work.”

“It would be unethical for me to suggest to my client that he incriminate himself further.”

“So now you’re a lawyer as well?” Kingsley volleyed back. “Many talents indeed…”

“There’s at least a dozen within this very square. Should I put one on retainer on behalf of my client?”

“That’s not necessary at this juncture,” Kingsley maintained evenly. “Let me just put it this way, Mr. Mortimer: if your client decides to capitalize on his popularity as a modern day Quasimodo, I would like to arrange for the interviewer to pose some very specific questions.”

“Leading questions?”

“Aren’t they all? I promise you, your readers will only find his answers that much more compelling.”

“I’ll bear your words in mind,” Mr. Gerard acquiesced, his beady eyes glowing with new possibilities.

Once again, Kingsley declined the offer of a brandy as he took his leave. Despite the grime of the city, the bracing winter air was like a restorative to his lungs.
Eleven: The Snows of Winter by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Eleven
The Snows of Winter



Harry squinted into the dusty confines of the Leaky Cauldron. With a wide grin, Ron was waving them over to his booth. Hermione weaved her way among the empty tables and slid into the bench next to her husband as Harry shook the icy raindrops from his cloak before hanging it on one of the pegs by the door. His eyes always needed a few extra seconds to adjust to the pleasant dimness of the pub’s interior.

For a single heartbeat, he felt like they were back at school, huddling over a problem late into the night in the Gryffindor common room. Their faces had often been lit only by the dying fire in the huge grate then, their voices mere whispers so as not to be overheard in the adjoining dormitories. A furtive movement from the corner of his eye brought him back to the present with a heavy thud. But it was only Tom, the proprietor, approaching with the luncheon menus in hand.

Harry ordered a Butterbeer for himself, well aware that he was expected to return to his desk later that afternoon. His request for an extra hour to accommodate a small birthday luncheon for an old school chum had not been questioned, but he didn’t want to look like he’d been over-celebrating, either. Kingsley might be looking for him after the account he’d given earlier of Remus’ state of mind.

“You seem uneasy, mate,” Ron observed as Harry darted a look around the deserted room. “Would you feel more comfortable sitting so you could keep your eye on the front door?”

Harry issued a sharp laugh. “If I can’t trust you two to watch my back after all these years…”

“Besides, you can see the door leading to Diagon Alley without any trouble,” Hermione added.

“That too.” Harry sighed. “Things have been tense; I don’t have to tell you that. Remus is being drawn into this more than is good for him.”

“Is he convinced it’s Greyback?” Hermione posed, her features laced with concern.

Harry nodded glumly. “Kingsley still wants him to review the roster of all those who’ve been sentenced to Azkaban and see if he recognizes the faces of any other werewolves. The data is still being compiled.”

“Blimey! That’s a lot of folks!” Ron protested. “It’s been six years “ seven if you consider when he was last undercover. Wouldn’t it be easier to just work through those belonging to other werewolves?”

“If that bit of data was included in the court records,” Harry allowed. “All too often, it’s not.”

“How could such an important fact be missing?”

“Any competent defense attorney would have seen to that,” Hermione stressed. “Such information is prejudicial, to say the least. A skilled advocate would want to ensure his client was judged impartially under the law.”

“But what if he’d bitten someone?” Ron threw out. “Surely it’s not irrelevant then.”

“Most cases were brought for different reasons,” Harry explained. “Being a Death Eater or just consorting with them to overthrow the government was the most common charge after Voldemort’s defeat.”

“No one would want the tribunal to assume the defendant was involved in treasonous activities simply because he was a werewolf,” Hermione supplied.

“But that’s grossly unfair!” Ron shook his head in disgust.

“It was established that Greyback recruited followers from among those amassed in the werewolf encampments. Although such evidence is circumstantial at best, you see how the Wizengamot might associate one with the other.” Hermione’s tone held steady despite the distress than made her eyes glisten wetly.

“And you’re all right with this? Both of you?”

“It does no good to call them a bigoted bunch of blowhards,” Harry commented softly.

“Despite the fact that Harry’s being quite charitable,” Hermione noted with a hollow laugh. “I can’t just turn my back on these people because our justice system is flawed.”

“I thought your career goal was to change all that,” Ron insisted.

“It still is, sweetheart. But sometimes change has to come in small increments so it’s not rejected outright,” Hermione pronounced stoically.

“Official Ministry line,” Ron dismissed as he took a long draw from his glass. A brave shaft of sunlight penetrating the golden lager belied the seriousness of the conversation.

“Remus’ words,” Harry attested solemnly.

“Idealism tempered with realistic expectations, I believe he called it,” Hermione echoed. “He warned me that I wouldn’t be able to chuck the entire legal system out the window despite the temptation.”

“Just be glad you didn’t have to plough through the regulations firsthand, mate,” Harry allowed. “It’s even worse when you see such ignorance wrapped in the trappings of justice.”

Briefly, he outlined what his recent research had unveiled: how werewolves were held fully liable for any acts performed under the full moon, even though they could not recall the incidents themselves. Ignore that they could not testify in their own defense or provide an alibi, they were considered guilty by virtue of not taking precautions to property contain themselves. An attack resulting in the creation of another werewolf was automatic grounds for imprisonment, provided the victim could identify his assailant. In this, werewolves could sometimes get a break as most victims were too traumatized to be able to differentiate one snarling snout from another. Yet Harry couldn’t help but think how easy it would be for someone to be unjustly railroaded by an unscrupulous victim. If a bite victim died, the sentence was absolute: the werewolf was executed for murder most heinous. No life sentence in Azkaban, no extenuating circumstances that might label the actions as self-defense or subject to a lesser charge of manslaughter or wrongful death.

“Even more unsettling is that many feel these same guidelines should apply to werewolves at all times,” Harry concluded grimly. “Even when the events in question did not occur during a full moon.”

“A rabid dog receives more consideration!” Ron ranted.

“No, a rabid dog is treated exactly the same,” Harry argued. “Euthanized for the protection of society at large without being made to feel the pain of death “ or so they say… Except that a werewolf would know what was coming.”

“As long as there are those who would classify them as beasts, it will not change,” Hermione pronounced with a grimace. “Thank Dolores Umbridge for that. It was her legislation which ignored the requirements that a werewolf must be able to reproduce to be considered a beast. It has long been the standard by which naturalists confirmed the presence of a new species: it had to be able to give birth consistently to one such as itself. If it required two different species to achieve the result, then it was classified as a cross-breed.

“If they had remained under this classification, werewolves would have been considered part human “ giving rise to the argument that they should be entitled to human rights for 28 out of 29 days. But instead, Umbridge countered that because werewolves and vampires could create their own kind by the transference of blood and saliva, this was synonymous with live birth as required for all other magical creatures including elves, goblins, giants, hinkypunks, merpeople, centaurs, thestrals…well, you get the picture.”

Ron urged the conversation in a less stressful direction. “I’m beginning to see how a slimy git like Greyback could escape prosecution all these years. Who fingered him in the end? I remember Remus categorically refusing to become involved in what he claimed was a losing battle.”

“That’s the most ironic thing of all,” Harry whispered as he swung his head about to make sure they remained the pub’s sole clientele. “Greyback confessed. Proudly proclaimed how he’d viciously gone about recruiting others to his lifestyle.”

“Even targeting children, if you can stomach that,” Hermione interjected.

“To read his book, he must have considered it a great honor to be selected,” Ron scoffed.

“Just a ploy to win his victims over,” Hermione clarified. “Convince them that they were being admitted into an elite force.”

“Didn’t the Wizengamot also convict him of being a Death Eater?” Ron pressed.

Harry shook his head to the negative. “No tattoo.”

“No one dared to denounce him would be my guess,” tendered Hermione.

“A regular agent of retribution, he was,” Harry remarked sourly. “More of Remus’ words.”

Ron caught Tom’s eye for a refill as they all took a moment to place their lunch orders. Once they were alone again, Hermione took up the threads of the conversation. “So has Kingsley recruited your assistance in this assignment, Harry?”

She was caught short by the dejected look Harry gave her. “Hardly,” he grumbled.

“But all the research…” Ron prompted.

“For my own enjoyment apparently,” Harry admitted with a mirthless chuckle. “Kingsley said I was too close. He’s only allowing me to provide very limited, peripheral assistance.”

“That must smart,” Ron commiserated.

“He’s right, though,” Hermione maintained in a thoughtful tone. “Kingsley, I mean.”

“Remus is his friend also,” Harry argued. “He and Remus worked very closely to organize Voldemort’s defeat.”

“In a professional capacity,” Hermione pointed out.

Harry was not giving in so easily. “He’s been a guest at our house countless times.”

“That’s just it…” Hermione began tactfully.

“I see her point, mate,” Ron cut across. “Despite their years of association, Kingsley doesn’t face Remus over the breakfast table each morning, doesn’t play with the man’s children each evening.”

“All the more reason I want to help him,” Harry moaned.

“I think your companionship alone will do that,” Hermione soothed “Trust in Kingsley’s judgment.”

Undaunted, Harry turned his attention to Ron. “What’s the view on the international front, Ron? You’re the only one of us who has access to such information.”

“Any ideas we can incorporate ourselves?” Hermione posed.

Ron shrugged noncommittally. “There’s not as much as you’d think. Werewolves are banned from competing in Quidditch matches unilaterally. Bulgaria does allow them to coach, however.”

“And the reasons for these regulations?” Harry inquired, recognizing that inspiration often lurked in the most innocuous corners.

“Altercations during the full moon?” suggested Hermione.

Ron gave her a look of withering contempt. “How difficult would it be to schedule matches so they avoided the full moon? Even at Hogwarts, we barely competed once a month; the Quidditch pitch was used only for practice at other times. It’s not like they have to share the field with any other events “ that’s true in professional leagues as well.”

Catching on to Ron’s tone, Harry prompted, “You have a theory. I can see it lurking in the corners of your eyes.”

“Nothing I can prove,” Ron harrumphed.

“Let’s have it anyway.”

“I think it has to do with parity,” Ron offered tentatively. “Werewolves have abilities the rest of use don’t share.”

“Their resistance to cold and disease,” Hermione encouraged.

“Their stamina under all sorts of adverse conditions,” Ron elaborated. “Madam Pomfrey said as much when she tended to Remus’ injuries in the cave.”

Hermione shook her head slowly as she tried to grasp the elusive tendrils of memory. “All I remember is being terrified that we had only condemned him to a slow and lingering death; that drowning would have been preferable.”

“Think back on all the good-natured scolding Madam Pomfrey gave him,” Ron recalled. “Claimed that anyone else would have been more cooperative by allowing such pain to render him unconscious.”

“But that would have trapped him in his Animagus form!” Hermione sought to follow.

“And she said she understood the tremendous fortitude it must have taken Remus to hang on, to not succumb to that which was easy,” Ron continued.

“Tonks warned that his stubbornness caused him to imperil himself needlessly,” Harry volunteered as he remembered snatches of conversation between the two concerned women at Remus’ bedside. “But that doesn’t make any sense…”

“Yes, it does!” Hermione surmised eagerly. “Remus willfully turns his back on the fact that he’s a werewolf. You’ve seen him do it time and time again. It’s more than just his insistence that he’s just like everyone else. He wills it to be so. Any extra abilities he might have gained in the process are tainted by his self-hatred and he refuses to acknowledge them.”

The sensation of Remus’ iron grip rose unbidden in Harry mind. Remus had been distraught, frightened at having been woken up from a deep sleep. When the same thing had occurred at Hogwarts, he had been practically begging Harry not to leave him alone with his inner demons. Hermione was on the right track; Harry was certain of it.

“So Remus’…condition is not without differences,” Ron attested. “Added stamina and visual acuity…”

“Prowess,” Harry supplied.

“Factors that might give an unequal advantage in Quidditch,” Ron concluded.

“So their exclusion may not be simply prejudicial?” Hermione mused.

“Not initially, no,” Ron confirmed. “As to the different attitudes in Bulgaria, I can only conclude it might have to do with the greater concentration of werewolves in the remote mountainous areas.”

“You have census data?” Hermione’s eyes lit up.

“Only rumors, I’m afraid.”









The glow from the hearth provided little warmth deep within the dungeons of Hogwarts castle. Still, it was considerably warmer than the conditions outside where an arctic wind had been howling among the ramparts since mid-day, depositing a thick blanket of snow. Hard to believe it was only afternoon to gauge by the iron grey skies just visible through the long, narrow slits at the end of the corridor.

Surveying the expanse of his domain, Severus Snape was satisfied that all was as it should be. The thick wool rugs covering the stone floors and the deep leather upholstery provided their own sort of comfort; not to be surpassed by the excellent vintage he had just uncorked. The luxury of unbroken solitude was something to be savored at the end of a long day of supervising inattentive hordes bent on their own destruction.

The low flames caught the deep glint of the emerald ring he wore on his index finger. It was the sole adornment he allowed himself, yet somehow fitting to his position as Head of Slytherin House. His wife had instructed the jeweler to design it to look like an heirloom, or so she had told him when she presented it to him. It had pleased him very much that she should go to so much trouble to accommodate his idiosyncrasies. In return, he made an effort to dress in less funereal fabrics when at home; but he had long since concluded that black was the only practical color to resist all manner of potion stains. If the students found the color intimidating, so much the better. Did they not see that school robes were traditionally black for the very same reason?

As he raised the goblet to his colorless lips, the jewel glowed in sharp contrast with the blood red wine. Green and red, the traditional colors of Christmas. Even in his own chambers, he couldn’t escape it, Snape’s inner voice complained; the entire ruddy castle seemed intent on force-feeding everyone with holiday cheer. Not that he wasn’t looking forward to three blessed weeks without the daily army of dunderheads, mind you. Even though his overly gregarious in-laws would descend upon him before long, he could always find an excuse to leave them to their own merrymaking. Perhaps he would even accept the invitation from his distant cousin in Romania to go ice fishing in the mountains. He had no doubt that copious quantities of the potent local vodka would be involved, but who could begrudge their attempts to keep winter at bay?

His pleasant contemplations were interrupted by a flash of evergreen flames among the crackling logs. Snape’s scowl deepened when he recognized Lupin’s features among the embers.

“Severus, could I impose upon you for a moment of your time?” Remus proposed genially. “Minerva suggested I would find you here.”

Snape instinctively defended his turf. “I don’t take kindly to being interrupted in my private enclave, Lupin. Is this about the Headmistress’ infernal holiday tea party? If I had known attendance was mandatory, I would have removed myself to the Hog’s Head.”

Even amid the coals, Snape could discern Lupin’s features were perplexed. “Forgive me, Severus, I had totally forgotten about that…” he hesitated.

Such confounded indecisiveness was not part of Lupin’s usual demeanor. Snape would have expected the man to be annoying everyone left and right with hearty wishes for a joyous holiday. Making an immediate decision, Snape drawled, “If you’re intent on skiving off today, I have no overpowering objections to you joining me.”

With a curt nod, Lupin’s face crumbled into molten ashes as the fire flamed high with holly green flames. Damn his traitorous subconscious for succumbing to the Yuletide conspiracy surrounding him, Snape grumbled to himself.

In the next instant, Remus was standing among the flagstones before the hearth and shaking the last of the Floo Powder from his hair. He looked around with a rather dazed expression. “You’ve remodeled,” he observed succinctly.

“Minerva’s doing mostly,” Snape acknowledged with a shrug. “She’s convinced everyone benefits from her meddlesome ways.”

Remus smoothed his palm over the buttery softness of the wing-backed chair to which he had been directed and wisely kept his mouth shut. He tried to decline Snape’s offer of wine only to be told rather gruffly, “Only a boor drinks alone in front of another. Is it your intent to insult me?”

Unable to counter such an argument, Remus accepted the heavy goblet. Sirius had preferred red wine as well, the thought rose from the depths of his memory. Tonks gravitated almost exclusively to white so he was pleasantly surprised when the dark tincture proved to be particularly mellow and agreeable. “Very nice,” Remus muttered. “Can’t say I’ve ever encountered a red that didn’t pucker my mouth with dryness.”

With an amused half-smile, Snape turned the bottle in his hands so the label was visible. Then he waited for Lupin’s jaw to drop.

“That’s hardly table wine!” Remus protested. “Surely a grand cru like that deserves to be saved for a special occasion.”

“And here I thought you knew very little about wine,” Snape offered sardonically. “As everyone seems intent on celebrating the season, why should I begrudge myself a little indulgence?”

“Severus, I…”

“Just enjoy the wine, Lupin. Perhaps it will put us both in a better mood,” Snape suggested smoothly, the resonance of his voice seeming to compliment the wine lingering on their tongues.

“I’m surprised you didn’t volunteer to guard the front doors if you weren’t interested in attending the tea party,” Remus remarked conversationally.

“Consider it my Christmas gift to the students. With no one hovering in their wake to deduct house points, fogging up the windows with longing will be that much more enjoyable.”

“They’ll be out the great doors by now. The snowfall was winding down last I looked.”

“So they’ll be building snowmen in effigy,” Snape noted with a dismissive wave of his hand. “I’m hardly an art critic. Are you?”

Remus laughed in spite of himself. “Can’t very well set fire to snow, can they?”

“Not without Flitwick’s help!” Snape shot back. “The Incendiary Charm is notoriously finicky in cold weather.”

Refilling their goblets, Snape crossed his ankles upon the small footrest. “Why aren’t you celebrating with the others, Lupin? It’s so unlike you.”

Remus looked into the fathomless eyes that betrayed nothing, yet he sensed the man before him already knew the answer to his query. Hadn’t Snape had his privacy stripped away as a lad when the Daily Prophet had zeroed in on his less than ideal home life? Granted, it had been a relevant fact in his legal case, but admitting it before the Wizengamot would have been humiliating enough; the Prophet had paraded it before all of Britain.

“I was hoping you could enlighten me on Greyback’s role in Voldemort’s hierarchy,” Remus began tentatively.

“Quite an imposition, wouldn’t you say?”

“I tried to find the information elsewhere--”

Snape cut across him impatiently, “”but the Order failed to locate the secret archives where the Dark Lord spelled out his plans for world domination so anyone could betray him.”

“How ever did you manage to keep your head in that maniac’s presence?” Remus commented with a wry laugh.

“Wine has a tendency to unleash my tongue,” Snape allowed with a dark laugh of his own. “Obviously, I avoided drinking anything in the Dark Lord’s presence.”

“Healthy fear of poisoning, too.”

“Lupin, what makes you think anyone is going to take Greyback’s ranting seriously? It’s nothing more than his attempt to lay down a nest egg while he’s incarcerated.”

“There are things he says that lead me to wonder…”

“Wonder what exactly? We’ve already established that he’s drunk on his own ego!”

“Perhaps among his disjointed braggadocio there might be a kernel of truth.”

“Other than his twisted odes to the misunderstood torture of the moon?”

“So you have read it,” Remus whispered through dry lips.

“One would have to be living in a vacuum to have failed to notice it. If I didn’t know it was illegal for merchants to employ Compelling Charms…”

“He seems to imply he was playing two sides against the middle,” Remus posited with a frown.

“Self-aggrandizing delusions.”

“Perhaps, perhaps not. It could be two factions within Voldemort’s camp.”

“An often fractious lot,” Snape conceded.

“Who coordinated his activities? Surely someone so crass would not have dealt with Voldemort directly.”

“Do your memories of that regrettable night fail you? His main cronies were the Carrows. Crabbe and Goyle might have dealt with him on occasion. Genetic throwbacks all.”

Could Alecto Carrow be the woman Greyback was referring to? It just didn’t seem right to Remus. “Was the Carrow sister in a position of power; could she have offered him a deal behind the others’ backs?”

Snape chuckled derisively. “She was lucky to find her shoes in the morning. What do you think?”

“What about Bellatrix? She was powerful in her own right.”

“She would not have sullied her aristocratic fingers,” Snape maintained. “Any descriptions of the woman in question?”

“Not really,” Remus allowed with a note of regret. “He mentions her wide-mouthed smile in one place… Let me see if I can find it for you.” Remus started to draw the book from his jacket pocket only to be forestalled by Snape.

“No need. Your powers of observation have always been thoroughly reliable. Such wording doesn’t quite fit Bellatrix. Now if he’d mentioned how her cherubic mouth belied the demonic presence within…”

Remus chuckled appreciatively at Snape’s dead-on characterization. “He described it like the maw of a snake.”

“Words that would make any Slytherin proud.”

“Except that snakes can unhinge their jaws to swallow their enemies whole,” Lupin volunteered solemnly.

“Could it be he was referring to Bella’s temperament?”

“Doesn’t strike me as a figurative description. Greyback’s more a visceral type.”

“Yet he waxes poetic about the moon,” Snape pointed out.

“Only because he sees it as a deity outside of his sphere,” Remus clarified. “His opinions of his associates are much more down to earth.”

“There were no other females at the meetings. Narcissa was never a Death Eater, just chained to one “ or two, if you consider Draco.”

“I’ll just have to keep looking,” Remus conceded with a weary sigh. With a start, he looked around the room in confusion. “Did you finish grading all the end of term exams already? I didn’t think you had an assistant.”

Snape smiled enigmatically. “Seems rather unsporting to present them with their inadequacies right before the holidays, don’t you think?”

“But to give them false hope…”

“Is still better than no hope at all,” Snape retorted.

“Perhaps you have a point,” Remus capitulated. Had his own performance been that hopeless in Potions, he wondered. Years later, the only thing he remembered clearly was how he could barely stomach Slughorn’s lessons, the stench of all the misbrewed potions permeating his very skin by the end of class. Scalding water and a scrub brush were often required to make him feel clean again.

“I don’t suggest you follow this line of inquiry from home,” Snape suggested with a knowing lift to his eyebrow. “You haven’t been this morose since… Bloody hell, Lupin, I can’t even come up with a proper put down. That’s how out of character it seems!”

“So it’s my fault you’re caught at a loss for words?” Remus gave a hollow laugh. “Afraid I’ll usurp your special niche with the students?”

“It’s a contest you would lose.”

“Undeniably.”

“And confuse your own children in the process. I bet you haven’t even been to see them today, have you?”

“They’re at their French lesson this afternoon,” Lupin announced matter-of-factly.

“A tutor already? Really, Lupin, aren’t they allowed to just be children? Miscreants, if one believes Filch’s grumbling.”

“The two of you have pretty much sewn up antisocial behavior for the entire castle.”

“Glad to know my efforts didn’t go unnoticed,” Snape returned with his viperous smirk.

“As for tutors, they’re with Bill Weasley’s wife one afternoon a week. It’s more of a play date; but Fleur likes to speak with her girls in French and, well, Phoebe and Teddy are like little sponges at that age.”

“How old were you?”

“Closer to eight or nine,” Remus allowed. “My grandmother insisted I learn to read English first. The other languages I added after finishing school, when I found myself with extra time on my hands.”

Snape nodded knowingly. “I, too, felt at loose ends after Voldemort’s first fall. So much in my life had changed irrevocably.”

Remus took a long thoughtful swallow as Snape refilled his glass. “You’re right that I should probably put things aside for a few weeks, gain some perspective.”

Snape resumed his relaxed pose in his chair, allowing the comfortable silence to permeate the room. Lupin was free to speak of what was troubling him if he wished or maintain his wall of privacy. It was no more consideration than Snape expected for himself.

“Do you have any idea what it’s like to have to describe lycanthropy to a three-year old?” Remus muttered as he stared dismally into the depths of his glass.

Despite Snape’s stony face, those quiet words struck a chord with his own decision to remain childless. Garrulous gargoyles, he would be blaming the infernal wine tomorrow as he dared to respond, “You’re a man who thinks things to death, Lupin. Surely you considered this scenario when you decided to start a family.”

“Of course, but I expected the issue would come up when they were a little older. With Teddy, it happened quite naturally; I was able to ease it into the conversation when he asked about the origins of our family name. But with Phoebe…I was so afraid someone might say something to her in passing and then it would be a hundred times worse.”

“Because of Greyback’s manifesto?” There was no telling how many nutcases would attach themselves to the coattails of the latest fad. He couldn’t deny Lupin was right about that.

Remus nodded, the flames from the hearth lending his eyes an amber glow not unlike those on the cover of the damnable book. But the haunted look that blazed forth was clearly that of a man of conscience, not a maniac. “I couldn’t even find the words,” he admitted in a strangled voice. “Tonks had to do it. Phoebe is always clamoring to help with the preparation of the Wolfsbane Potion so that allowed her to lead into it.”

Severus couldn’t help but think Lupin was wrong to suppose his children would see him as a monster. He could transform before them, threaten them with slavering jaws, and after their screams subsided, they would wonder what they had done to provoke him. Hadn’t he done much the same during his own childhood? Hoping to be the unmagical son his father desired above all else, as if simply wishing to be a Squib could make it so. It was only later when he realized the futility of his childhood fantasies that he had come to embrace the inevitable, daring to hope that as a wizard he would be able to escape this purgatory where no correct response or action existed. If only he could fade away into the cracks in the wall, perhaps that action alone would satisfy both his parents equally. For as long as he tried to embody what his father desired, he earned his mother’s derision for being so much less than what he was. Yet at the same time, she would punish him for angering his father with his blatant displays of ‘oddness,’ as his father called it.

How could they not think the constant contradictions would lead him to despair of ever being accepted, let alone happy? Certainly not while he remained at Spinner’s End. Yet it had taken him years to harden his resolve to the point where he could envision himself leaving everything behind. The small, disconsolate child in him would always resurface and demand its due. Such was the innate trust and love which came to children as naturally as breathing. Not that he was about to bare his soul to anyone, grand cru or not. He would just have to trust Lupin was the sort who would embrace his sacred paternal duty to not abuse his children’s unwavering devotion.

Steeling his resolve, Snape provided, “It could have been worse, Lupin. At least you didn’t have to admit to your child that you were a shameless, unmotivated drunkard and a wife-beater.” Or worse, Snape thought to himself, but left it unsaid. “Not that my father was ever that forthright with me.”

“Somehow it’s not the same…”

“Sure it is. You wanted to be left alone to live in your own private hell while you were at school and so did I.”

“But I was wrong to think that way. It literally changed the way I looked at life “ and my place in it “ once I knew that others accepted me after learning the ugly truth. No one would have classified you as less than human once they discovered your family secret.”

“No, I had that all sewn up myself.”

“And nobody knew? All the time you were a student…”

“I’m sure Dumbledore knew, but he was practically omniscient.”

“What about Lily? Did you ever confide in her?”

“More than anything I wanted to keep that reality separate from the brief moments I spent with Lily. She was part of the wonderful wizarding world that would be my ticket away from my squalid existence. Even her Muggle home was a golden paradise compared to my dingy house at the arse end of the earth.”

“Something tells me it didn’t work out that way.”

“No, paths cross in all different ways. And even though she never said anything, never indicated she didn’t wholly buy into any excuse I’d given her, Lily knew.”

Amid the seemingly eternal stonework of the dungeons, it was remarkably easy to lose one’s self in nostalgia. Like it was only yesterday, Snape silently recalled that it had begun even before he had boarded the Hogwarts Express for the first time. His long-awaited letter from Hogwarts arrived and his father, Tobias, had not been pleased. It was one thing to have a son who had nothing in common with him and quite another “ make no mistake “ to have one who was just like her! In his alcohol-soaked brain, Tobias had seen all mother and son chats as nothing more than collusion against him.

It was all laid bare in the man’s eyes when he’d grabbed Severus by the neck and shoved him into the brick wall by the fireplace. Severus had blocked out the incoherent ramblings being shouted into his ear as he did his best not to gag on the smell of stale Firewhiskey on his father’s breath. He struggled to remain still so his father would forget about his presence just as he hoped the man would forget about the Hogwarts letter before his mother returned from work. Luckily, he didn’t have long to wait before his father lurched into the next room for some spare change for the pub. At the slam of the backdoor, Severus could finally relax; but with his first deep breath came an agony which literally sickened him with its intensity.

In a haze of pain, he stumbled out of the stifling house and sought refuge in the only place he knew: the leafy green cathedral of the nearby park. He struggled to sit with his back against a familiar tree in the shade, hoping the gentle breeze would soothe the rivulets of sweat running down the sides of his face.

It might have been hours, it might have been minutes later that Lily found him. She spied his familiar form from a distance and waved joyously to him.

“It came just like you said it would! My letter to Hogwarts!” she breathed as she threw herself happily on the ground beside him. “I would have been here sooner but Professor Dumbledore himself came to inform my parents that I was a bona fide witch!”

It was only then that her eyes had truly focused on him and noted he was practically delirious with pain. “We need to take you to hospital!” she insisted.

“No!” he barely croaked as he squeezed his eyes shut. He reached out to catch her arm only to be engulfed in a wave of agony that left him panting for breath.

“Severus, please be reasonable,” Lily implored. “You need to be looked at by a doctor.”

“A Healer,” he corrected her weakly.

“Can you at least tell me what happened?” she begged as she gently brushed his overlong fringe from his forehead. The look of concern in her eyes deepened as she touched his clammy skin.

“Bullies, ambushed,” he managed, trying to cover up for the indignity of having shamed his father once again.

“Will you at least let me take you to my house?” she beseeched. “My mum will know what to do.”

“No hospital,” he’d made her promise over and over again as he allowed her to guide him the two blocks to her home.

Mrs. Evans had taken one look at him and insisted they call his mother at the nearby mill.

“Please, Lily, don’t let her call,” Severus had struggled to form the words. “They’ll dock her pay and then claim she’s unreliable. Please, Lily….”

A whispered conference had followed in the next room as Severus lowered himself shakily onto the nearest chair. It was all he could do to keep the room from spinning.

When Mrs. Evans returned, she guided him gently but firmly into the kitchen to try to ice down his injuries. “Where does it hurt, Severus? Can you tell me that?”

“Not sure," he’d gasped as a gentle pull on his upper arm practically made him collapse. With expert fingers, Mrs. Evans gingerly examined his upper torso through his threadbare shirt, finally determining that he seemed to have cracked his collarbone.

“I’m not sure a doctor could do much for that,” she explained with kind eyes. “Much the same happened to my younger brother when he fell out of a tree.”

“How did they treat Uncle Howard?” Lily asked as she flashed a reassuring smile at Severus.

“Put his arm in a sling to keep him from moving the bones unnecessarily,” Mrs. Evans replied as she returned with an old pillowcase. “Despite the pain, the bones will actually knit themselves in about two weeks time. Not that anyone was able to convince Howard of that over his screams that day.” Mrs. Evans had looked at Severus very curiously at that point, but then added in a light-hearted tone, “But Howard was much younger than you and somewhat of a cry-baby, as I recall.”

“Severus is preparing to step out on his own, Mother,” Lily announced. “He got a letter today just like I did. Didn’t you?”

Severus nodded. Through gritted teeth, he tried to add a smile “ only to abandon the attempt when the shiny stove hood reflected more of a grimace.

Taking Lily’s cue, Mrs. Evans chattered on about the astounding news that kind Professor Dumbledore had imparted to her today. In no time, she had Snape propped up in a sea of pillows on the sofa before the ‘telly’ as she called it. She left Lily to find some old movies to pass the time as she returned with a plate full of oatmeal and raisin biscuits and two tall glasses of milk punch.

“I took the liberty of crushing some aspirin into yours, dear,” she advised Severus in a reassuring tone. “You won’t taste the bitterness over the honey and allspice. Let me know if you need a refill, though. Lily’s not familiar with the recipe.”

With that and a stern look in Lily’s direction, Mrs. Evans left them alone for the remainder of the afternoon. Between sips of the sweet concoction Severus was certain contained a generous measure of brandy, his pain was muted to a manageable roar.

At some point, Petunia wandered by and gave him a disparaging look on her way to the kitchen. She returned with a mug of tea just as Severus was asking Lily a question about the ‘cowboys and Indians’ who were galloping across the screen.

“I don’t have to ask whether he received a letter also,” she huffed at Lily, ignoring Severus as if he were nothing but an unsightly stain. “Totally unfamiliar with our world.”

“There’s no need to be rude,” Lily issued crossly to Petunia’s back before returning her attentions to Severus. “She’s just jealous, Mum said.”

Snape nodded wordlessly in return, too weak to retort to Petunia that he knew plenty about the Muggle world, practically grew up in it; he was just unfamiliar with television.

They fed him tea and sandwiches before Mrs. Evans insisted on driving him home. “The pain will return tenfold if you jostle yourself with walking the distance on foot. I’ll let you off at the end of the block if you prefer.”

He remembered waving awkwardly to Lily with his free hand as the car had driven off into the distance. When he was certain they were out of sight, he carefully untied the makeshift sling and folded the pillowcase into his pocket. Cradling his arm in the same position as best he could, he walked to the end of the lane just in time to see his mother emerge from her double shift. Hardly daring to breathe, he waited for her to cross the rickety bridge spanning the roaring river.

One look into her son’s unfocused eyes told Eileen Snape much of the story. She motioned for him to wait on the front steps as she made sure there was no one else waiting for them inside the somber house at Spinner’s End. Once inside, a quick motion of her wand located Severus’ injury and repaired the fracture.

Her last words to him before sending him off to bed were, “I don’t care how bad the pain is. If I catch you drinking again, I’ll break your other collarbone!”

But it had not ended there. He remembered another instance when Lily had found him staring glumly out at the river. They were fourteen or fifteen and she had brought a summer picnic to enjoy while the boats floated by in the lazy current. Work at the mill had been scaled down and many of the nearby residents were now employed in transporting goods downriver. Catching a familiar face on the shore, the workmen often waved merrily as they passed by Severus’ favorite spot in the lee of the weathered iron bridge.

The bright colors hurt Severus’ eyes, or so he told Lily as he squinted through gauzy lids to maintain his composure. A pointless exercise in nobility as she had noticed him cradling his right wrist almost immediately.

“It’s nothing, Lily,” Severus insisted. “I tripped like a berk on the stone steps at the top of the levy. Here I was feeling like I had avoided that drunken lout “ can’t believe he was only two years ahead of me in grammar school “ and I do something like this!” He smiled ruefully into her eyes as he artfully spun his story. “The worst part was that he laughed himself silly until he threw up his beer. The smell was worse than the humiliation, I assure you.”

She had not truly been fooled; deep down Severus had known that. But she had been kind enough to let him believe for a little while longer. She giggled at his story and then asked him point blank if he knew how to knit bones with his wand.

“Don’t give me that under-aged magic tripe, Sev. That’s only for small children. I know full well the Ministry can’t tell who’s done magic, not without examining the wands in question. All you have to do is use my wand and perform the spell inside your house where your mother routinely uses magic.”

Severus thought it best not to correct her as, technically, her explanation was true. In reality, his mother rarely worked magic as it so enraged his father that it was akin to facing a rampaging hippogriff. Instead, he’d shaken his head ruefully. “I might manage if it were my left wrist that needed mending, but I can’t wield a wand except with my right hand.”

“Something to remedy next term,” she suggested matter-of-factly. Then she excused herself to go to the nearby chemist.

He’d tried the wordless numbing spell his mother had insisted he master, drilling him until he felt his eyes would cross. In his frustration, he’d been tempted to ask her if she used it on her heart, but self-preservation won out. Not that it was of much help in this instance, Severus grumbled to himself; its effects were transitory and superficial at best.

Lily returned minutes later with a stretchy bandage and some fat wooden knitting needles that she wrapped tightly around his wrist. The relief had been so immediate he almost grabbed her up and kissed her impetuously. But he’d never taken that irrevocable step as his bandaged arm lay awkwardly between them.

“Perhaps I should go see if I can get a wee bottle of peppermint schnapps to dampen the pain a bit,” she suggested, but her smile turned into a frown when she saw his frightened eyes. “You think I’ll get busted? The worst they can say is ‘no’.”

“Please, Lily, everyone around here knows my mother,” he pleaded. “I wouldn’t want her to get the wrong idea about how we spend our summer afternoons.”

“Right. Forgive me for not thinking that one through,” she responded lightly as she dung out some Butterbeers from her hamper and generously uncapped his.

He would have never forgiven himself if she’d run into his father at the pub. No doubt after he made some ungentlemanly remark as the barkeep dispensed her the schnapps with naught but a sly wink.

It was a few days later when his mother was double-checking his wrist had healed properly that he’d been put on the spot.

“Evelyn told me what happened the other day,” she began conversationally.

Severus stiffened immediately as Evelyn’s husband was the local chemist.

“Don’t twist so or I won’t be able to make a right assessment,” his mother scolded. “Then you’d have to rewrap your wrist all over again.”

She’d known all along, Severus’ mind screamed as he willed himself to remain impassive.

“Good thing your friend had the foresight to seek out a Muggle remedy,” Eileen continued unhurriedly. “Evelyn asked me how your sprain was and I told her it was healing nicely.”

How had they connected Lily with him, though? He never got the chance to pose the question as in her next breath, his mother added, “Your schoolmate is quite memorable with her thick red hair and easy smile. Lots of idle tongues in this town that would be better served with other hobbies.”

“Yes, Mum. I promise to be more discreet,” Severus heard himself say. “Her name is Lily Evans, she’s in the same class as me.”

“I don’t want to suggest you shouldn’t have any friends, Severus. Merlin knows, you won’t find anyone suitable at Spinner’s End. Just meet her on her side of town from now on.”

She did not have to mention that the less his father knew about his friends, and anything else having to do with Hogwarts, the better.

“I’ll remember, Mum,” he’d promised solemnly, not daring to give her a quick hug. Hugs were for small children only, he’d gotten that icy message years ago; but somehow it had never totally taken root.

“And. Severus, take this bit of motherly advice: choose the mates who accept you for who you are. Those who fear wizards are just as intolerant as those who are jealous of their abilities.”

She had not met his eyes as she left the room, but her message had been clear: don’t make the same mistakes I did. Don’t marry someone who will revile you for what you cannot help being.

It had been advice he had taken to heart, doing his best to avoid the misconceptions that had destroyed his parents’ lives. But had he really succeeded? Human nature was too prone to repeat itself. Just compare Petunia’s jealousy with the feelings of inadequacy that had made his father detest his own son. Nor could it be argued that Petunia’s attitude was nothing more than a teenaged pique; he knew full well her beliefs had hardened even more in adulthood. Was his father’s drunkenness any different than his own misguided desire to lose himself among the delusions of power offered by the Death Eaters? Hadn’t they both ended up destroying their wives and offspring in the process? No, he hadn’t avoided his father’s legacy at all; he’d just found a pathetic way to apply it to the wizarding world.

He downed the last swallow of the fabled Bordeaux and caught Remus regarding him patiently. “I never claimed to be as rousing company as one of the Headmistress’ get-togethers,” Snape noted dryly.

“Quite all right,” Remus replied. “I’m not complaining about a bit of fine wine and contemplation.” Then amid the soothing susurrus of the cracking fire, he added, “Harry doesn’t blame you, you know.”

Snape sat bolt upright in his chair. He’d felt no feather touch of Legilimency; there hadn’t even been any direct eye contact. The intensity of the look he raked over Lupin said it all.

Remus emitted a soft chuckle. “Not as inscrutable as you thought, eh?”

“And you’re an infernal incubus, you know that!”

“Truly, Severus, how many times have you gone down that well-worn path? It was a foregone conclusion on my part.”

“No wonder the Gryffindors can’t get any pranks past you.”

“That’s just past experience,” Remus scoffed. “You were more of a challenge…I take it I was right.”

“Not exactly, but I wasn’t far from it,” Snape admitted. “I suppose my trail of self-flagellation is rather predictable.”

“My point is that it’s incorrect. Harry no longer blames you. True, there was a time in his youth when he jumped to some conclusions without seeing the complete picture, but he’s grown beyond that.”

“He has every reason to blame me,” Snape allowed in a hollow tone. “I was the agent who delivered the prophecy to his parents’ murderer.”

“An ambiguous prophecy that could have been interpreted in a myriad of ways. You were a pawn just like Harry himself when he was lured to retrieve the prophecy from the Department of Mysteries. It was Voldemort who decided how he would interpret its meaning and decided to put stock into it in the first place.”

“Now you sound like Dumbledore. You didn’t find an old hairbrush of his, did you?”

“I’m hopeless at potions, you know that. And Polyjuice is hardly one for amateurs.”

“Still, it was never my intent that Harry discover that particular truth. Dumbledore was of the opinion that it should have been expunged once I joined the Order.”

“The two of you put your great minds together and no one considered Sybill Trelawney might just be a loose cannon?” Remus laughed at the absolute irony of it.

“If I’d known of her insatiable thirst for cooking sherry, I might have. Still, who was she going to tell while barricaded in her stuffy tower? Her crystal ball?”

“I take it Dumbledore was against a Memory Charm, then?” Remus chortled.

“As scatter-brained as she’s always been, who know what kind of damage would have been wrought?” Snape argued.

“Would that have been damage to her or to the poor schmo who had to penetrate her foggy mind in order to cast the charm?” Lupin shot back.

Snape laughed outright, a rich sound that reverberated against the stone walls. “Perhaps that’s why Dumbledore was so dead set against it!”
Twelve: Trials and Tribulations by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twelve
Trials and Tribulations



Penelope Clearwater. The name was like a siren song in his mind. Winsome and alluring in memory, yet her final recriminations still haunted him if he wanted to be honest with himself. Not that self-appraisal was one of Percy’s greatest qualities; it only got in the way of his grand plan. Dust yourself off and move on, he’d always told himself, never allowing that the heart often had a logic all onto itself.

Years later, he could still smell the sunshine on the placid Black Lake as they sat upon the flat boulder and discussed their futures. The graduation celebration was still going full tilt upon the broad lawn behind them but they had somehow managed to find a moment to slink off by themselves.

“I have an interview for a post at the Ministry,” Percy had whispered into her ear, her raven curls tickling his face as he drew close. “My dad claims I’m just signing on for a life of drudgery and frustration, but I really want to make a difference.”

“That’s wonderful, Percy.” She’d smiled with the warmth of summer shining in her eyes. “They’d be fools not to take you on, Head Boy credentials and all.”

“I’m a bundle of nerves every time I think about it,” he confessed to the one person who would not belittle him.

“Yet I expect you have your suit and tie already laid out, don’t you?” Penelope chided him lovingly.

Percy nodded wordlessly, not adding that he didn’t have much of a wardrobe to choose from in the first place.

“I’ve found a posting myself, you know,” she added with a wry twinkle. “Your ambition must have rubbed off on me.”

He should have expected nothing less, he reminded himself later. She was at the top of her form in Ravenclaw House, no less. Of course she would want to prove herself to the world. But his adolescent dreams had never taken that into account. He’d assumed she would always be within his orbit, a fixture in his life just as much as he longed to be one in hers.

Magnanimously, he urged, “You’d be an asset anywhere, Pen. I’m surprised there wasn’t a virtual tug of war.”

She’d blushed in a very fetching fashion, he recalled vividly, the rosy tint complimenting the azure flecks in her eyes. “I don’t know about that. I don’t think they had many applicants to tell you the truth; well, certainly none who had the stringent credentials they preferred…” He smiled into her eyes as she delivered the news which caused his heart to immediately cloud over. “I’m going to be teaching English to orphans in the Black Sea area, traveling among a group of government run institutions. It’s ever so exciting, Percy. I’m going to make an impact on the world just like you!”

“Are those Muggle orphanages?” he stammered, unsure what to say exactly.

She shook her head vigorously. “Wizarding establishments with the highest recommendations from our own Ministry. The Department for International Cooperation has been working closely with their recruiters to guarantee native English speakers.”

“But that’s Durmstrang territory…”

“Please tell me you’re not that type of a snob, Percy. They’re children; little witches and wizards, just like those in Britain. The government wants them to have full access to the same education available to others who can already speak basic English by the time they get their acceptance letters.”

“But you don’t speak a word of their language…” he threw out the vague roadblock.

“Not fluently, no,” Penelope admitted with a self-satisfied smile. “But I’ve been studying it. Professor Lupin was a great help “ he speaks a number of languages himself, you know. He outlined the procedure he uses when he begins a new immersion; that’s how he refers to learning a new language. The Ministry provided me with basic language ampules so I could practice inside a Pensieve. It's the latest innovation, makes you feel as if you’re right there in the middle of the conversation!”

Then as it had done a thousand times before, the images began to distort. Not that the memory was any less vivid, quite the contrary, but the intensity of his feelings seemed to leech the colors from the surroundings until what was left was a bare shadow of reality. A sepia-toned photograph, if you will. In the background, he could still hear her enthusiastic voice detailing all her plans, expounding about how kind Professor Lupin had been so intrigued that a Pensieve could be used as a study aid for languages. Although the conversation ampules were ever so expensive, she had discovered, and surely beyond what one should spend to supplement a hobby. But then none of this should be news as hadn’t Percy said that Lupin was a frequent visitor to the Burrow for Sunday dinner and a veritable fixture at Christmas and Easter celebrations?

He had tried to keep his smile bright and breezy to match her tone; he owed her that at least “ even though the last thing he felt was happiness. Truth be told, he felt an icy dread in his gut that no one else would ever understand him like Pen did, that if he looked down at his hands he would find that he had become as insubstantial as a ghost.

Even though his mother often claimed he was the most like his father, Percy had always found this to be a superficial analogy at best. Sure, they both aspired to the bureaucracy, but he didn’t share his father’s complacent nature. No shuffling paper in some backwater office dealing with nuisances no one else wanted to handle, not for him. What had he to offer the world except his ambition? His oldest brother, Bill, had found a posting to indulge his adventurous spirit as he unlocked the secrets of antiquity. Charlie had always been the athletic one, the big Quidditch hero who turned down a chance to play professionally to follow his dream of working with dragons. The twins were, well, they were the twins. A combination of energy and wild imagination and what was looking to be good heads for business. Even easy-going Ron had made his mark, even if it was as nothing more than by being Harry Potter’s best mate. And as for Ginny, being the only girl and somewhat fearless to boot, she stood out in every way. But what was he, Percy? Even Bill had been Head Boy before him. The only thing he had to make him unique was driving ambition, the very ambition Pen had derided as being singularly selfish.

She’d also called him narrow-minded and provincial. He recalled the adjectives precisely with a dull echo of the pain they has caused him.

He had countered by calling her secretive and scheming.

“Obviously, I couldn’t expect you to understand or be supportive,” she seethed.

Abandoning all pretense of civility, he hissed in return, “I could say the same for you!”

It had been the intransigence of youth. Wounded pride rearing its ugly head and shouting down all other emotions. As much as Percy had tried to rein it in, there was no denying he had inherited his mother’s fiery temper. He just liked to think it took more to provoke him, but perhaps he’d been wrong about that, too.

Since that moment, his life had been a pale imitation of what he’d envisioned. A common enough phenomenon, he conceded. Reality was a world-class bitch, always had been; and ambition was a poor substitute for love. A quick succession of promotions were hardly a substitute for being wrapped in someone’s arms.

He supposed he could have sought solace among his family. No doubt his mum would have only been too happy to oblige. But Molly’s idea of consolation was too close to being babied for his taste. Mollycoddling, he thought wryly. So he let his work drive a wedge between them just as Penelope’s words had driven a spike he did not fully understand through his chest.

And now, there she was before him. Working in an ancillary division where their paths were sure to cross again and again by virtue of their work assignments. He wouldn’t even have to fabricate excuses to stop by her desk or worry that he was being too obvious.

She had handled the reporters from the Prophet majestically when they had worked side-by-side long into the night, insisting with unwavering sincerity that they stick to the heart of the story. Deftly deflecting interest from her own short-lived celebrity and maintaining that her previous involvement in humanitarian concerns was irrelevant. Gently chiding the reporter for subjecting her to another round of qualifying queries for her newly created position in the Preservation branch of the Cultural Affairs Division.

And despite the fact that her undulating mane had been fashioned into an elegant twist at the nape of her neck, she still looked every inch the young woman Percy remembered. Her face still lit up when she latched onto a new idea. Her cobalt eyes still shone brightly “ they just no longer shone for him.






Great Godric’s beard! How did that…witch…always manage to worm her way under his skin? Like little itchy bits of tartan that chafed until he could take no more!

For the umpteenth time he considered how a quick death at the Dark Lord’s feet would have been preferable “ then reminded himself that Voldemort’s “mercy” was just as twisted as everything else.

Slamming the dungeon door mightily, Snape barely caught one of his crystal goblets before it tumbled to the floor. With a snarl, he hurled it into the hearth, taking perverse pleasure in the musical sound it made as it shattered. With a quick Reparo, it was whole again in his hand and ready to accept the last half-inch of brandy. A few quick sips did nothing to quell his irritation.

Another growl and he had a cheery fire burning among the fragrant logs, reminding him of the fiery pit where he’d like to consign the Headmistress and all her innovative ideas. Dumbledore had never been this vexatious. Well, perhaps he had, in that maddeningly calm way of his that brooked no argument. At least he could rail at Minerva. It didn’t do any good, mind you; but it helped to clear the air. She still expected him to capitulate but at least he didn’t feel so manipulated.

She’d transfigured his contract; there could be no other explanation as he was virtually certain the offending language had not been there when he’d signed it over the summer. It had just been a formality anyway as she had long been courting him to resume his Potions post once Slughorn decided to retire for the second, and final, time.

Frankly, he’d been surprised Horace had hung around so long after Voldemort’s defeat -- considering Hogwarts had mainly been his refuge from Death Eaters who thought all former Slytherins were aching to join their ranks. But no, the Headmistress’ new vision for the school had energized Horace, allowed him to spread his wings in ways he had never imagined. The man actually enjoyed socializing with the students, striving to entertain not just those in his own House with lavish parties, but inviting the whole bloody school as well.

And now she expected him to do the same. Claimed the Slytherins had come to expect it from their Head of House. He’d teach them to expect anything but detentions from him! But even as he thought the words, he knew they were false. Inter-house camaraderie had done much to smooth everyone’s feathers in the wake of the failed coup, making everyone feel like they were on the same side again.

The dancing flames caught the edges of the cut glass decanter on the side table, taunting him with its emptiness. Pray there was another bottle in the cupboard as he was in no mood to summon a simpering house-elf to fetch one from his private stores in the sub-basement. He’d just as soon retrieve it himself, even if he had to single-handedly hew his own steps through the granite foundations of the ruddy castle.

“Severus!” came Rho’s throaty voice from the adjoining chamber. It was the private name he’d used since he found her signing documents with the Greek symbol as shorthand. She turned disapproving eyes on the decanter he held over his head. “Despite your spell mastery, I’d really rather you didn’t toss that against the bricks. It was my great-grandmother’s after all. Can’t you find another substitute for your anger?” With a quick movement, she Summoned the decanter and set it safely on the far side of the room.

Snape huffed as he threw his lean frame into the armchair once again. “I can’t very well roast Minerva on a spit, despite the overwhelming desire to do so!”

Rho laughed heartily, a deep velvety sound he found so appealing amid the giggle of children’s voices that seemed to follow him everywhere. “You’re too much alike, you know. Both too set in your ways.”

“If that were the case, she would have just let things be when she took over from Dumbledore. Instead she has to change everything, leave her mark on--”

“Would you have done otherwise?” she posed rhetorically. “You just would’ve made different changes is all.”

“So you support this ridiculous notion of Quidditch parties?”

“Having dealt with their high spirits in the wake of a game, it’s not such a bad idea to channel their exuberance--”

“”in a way they can be supervised by their Head of House,” he finished for her. “Yes, yes, Minerva already sang that tune for me. Said she’d made excuses for me after Slytherin defeated Hufflepuff last week. Damnable baby-sitting service!”

“Pretty catchy. Perhaps if you got some engraved cards, you could drum up some extra business at the weekend. “ At the glower he trained on her, she relented. “Did Minerva mention these parties keep the losers from resorting to mean-spirited pranks?”

He nodded glumly. “As well as drinking their sorrows away, if they’re intrepid enough to lay their grubby paws on some Firewhiskey.”

“Did she not stress that anything stronger than Butterbeer is prohibited on school grounds? Even students who are of age must have the express invitation of faculty or staff before partaking.”

“So now I’m their nurse-maid as well?” Snape sneered.

“They just need a little guidance, dear. Perhaps you could lead them in a contest of lobbing glass receptacles against the stones; see who could repair the most in the least amount of time.”

“Those dunderheads are likely to drown themselves in a river of blood!” he scoffed.

“Well, a chamber of horrors would make a good theme for a party, don’t you think?” She gave him a long-suffering look as she settled herself into the opposite armchair and propped her feet companionably on the same small footstool as his.

“Hardly! Too much like a convocation of Death Eaters for my taste. All we need is Pettigrew’s ghost to stumble in with his severed arm leaking all over the place. Why do they have to have a theme anyway?” he grumbled. “A few purloined snacks from the kitchen was all we needed in my day.”

“Horace spoiled them, that’s true,” she commiserated. “And in the process set the bar rather high, I’m afraid. All those years of currying favor among the rich and powerful gave him a certain flair for that sort of thing.”

“And I’m an emotionally stunted rube, you mean?” he groused with the first curl of a smirk on his lips.

“No, my prince. But not everyone appreciates your dark sense of humor, either. You can’t expect students to engage in rapier repartées. Only you and Remus have the speed and vocabulary for that.”

“I’m not giving them Vlad the Impaler in his Transylvanian castle!” he shot back as a shade fell over his hooded eyes. “My ancestors fought that bastard’s iron-fisted rule “ or so my aged grandmother used to say.”

“Forgive their infantile minds, Severus. You know they can’t possibly know….” She left the remainder unsaid as she laid a gentle hand on his.

He nodded grimly as he fixed unseeing eyes on the fire before him. Almost twenty-five years and the memory was still fresh in his mind. The wound never healed, not with the constant reminders he heard whispered in every corner as he walked past. Only Constance was allowed to make light of his bat-like robes. The Carpathian Prince, she had called him “ at least until Voldemort cut her down in a gruesome test of loyalty. His conscience would forever bear the blame for that. But it was not the sort of story one told to one’s students; better to endure their unintentional barbs than subject himself to their pitying looks.

“I know I’m a difficult man, Rho,” he breathed lowly as he covered her hand with his. The obsidian eyes boring into hers petitioned for unspoken forbearance.

She shrugged to indicate her background was not without flaws. A divorcée, twice over, practically scandalous in conservative wizarding society. Who else would have wanted her but a reformed Death Eater with dubious tastes? Yet he’d been entranced by her gross-grain voice and dexterity on the dance floor; she had found unplumbed humor in his scathingly wicked remarks. As her sharp eyes softened in response to his, she commented, “They always try to include you, the very dunderheads you decry on a daily basis. Not just the Slytherins, I might add. You’ve become an object of speculation for many.”

He issued a sharp, mirthless laugh. “The nut they can’t crack! I hardly want them eating out of my hand like Lupin’s do.”

“Even while you were in deep hiding during Voldemort’s final days, they still spoke of you. Remembered you in your darkest incarnation. Don’t forget that was the first year I took over Muggle Studies…”

“The papers they turned in after the Circus Maximus,” he finished. “Even then Minerva was intent on fostering broad displays of indecorum by the faculty.”

“She just wanted the students to see learning in a new light. No one was forced to participate.”

“You recall I had more pressing matters at the time. While the lot of you were gamboling in sheets and what not, I was trying to short circuit the Dark Lord’s plans for immortality.”

“And I was only too happy to provide you with a diversion so no one would interfere,” she reminded him gently. “Still, even though they had no real idea where you had gone or even your true loyalties, many students still included you in their essays.”

“Inspiration is a fickle thing,” he dismissed.

She wondered what he would say if he knew of Harry’s likening his tribulations to those of Odysseus, but knew she would never betray Minerva for having shared that. It had taken a heady amount of bargaining for Remus to allow her to read Harry’s actual words which rang so eloquently of compassion and objectivity.

“There was one who compared you to Vulcan,” she put forth.

Recalling her Muggle upbringing, Snape barely avoided making a passing reference to pointed ears. “Not even if he were a burly young man,” he scorned. “You’re just looking for an opportunity to play Venus in my wake.” Considering the love goddess had traditionally been portrayed as a woman of wily experience, he had no doubt Rho would relish the role too much for Hogwarts’ standards.

“A number of them suggested Pluto overseeing his kingdom in the Underworld.”

“Red demons with pitchforks aside, pet, the ancients saw their most hellacious nightmares realized in a world of utter blackness without end. Puns notwithstanding, Minerva would raise the roof if I gave them such a blatant opportunity for their sophomoric trysts.”

“There’s always the Elysian Fields,” she proposed.

“That’s a boulevard in Paris; just ask Lupin if you don’t believe me,” he noted wryly.

“I’m sure we can come up with something suited to your singular style,” Rolanda Hooch assured him. “The next Slytherin match isn’t until January after all.”

“Ravenclaw,” Snape attested sourly. “They’re surprisingly strong this year.”

She cocked an elegantly groomed eyebrow in query.

“I overhead the conversations in the common room,” he clarified.






Fisting her heavy tartan skirts, Minerva McGonagall took the last steps more slowly. It had been an exhausting day and she longed for nothing more than the privacy of her office. Perhaps she would even toast the never-ending stack of paperwork with a small glass of sherry.

After having fought Voldemort’s dark forces not once, but twice, the pettiness of Umbridge’s recent prevarications needled her more than she’d like to admit. That woman had been a thorn in everyone’s side when she’d insinuated her way into the Hogwarts faculty, but Minerva had assumed they were well rid of her. But no, like a stray mongrel cat no one would claim, Umbridge had more than her share of peevish lives.

As Minerva turned the last corner, the password ‘Culloden’ poised on her lips, she was met with a small delegation congregating at the feet of a rather put-out looking gargoyle. Mostly seventh years, she noted, with the exception of one sixth-year Prefect from Ravenclaw. As a matter of fact, the Head Boy and Girl were both present. Obviously, the movers and shakers of the Hogwarts student body.

“What can I do for you?” she offered, barely suppressing a small sigh of exhaustion.

“A brief moment of your time, Headmistress,” Cyrus Findlay, the Gryffindor Prefect, implored.

With an indulgent nod, Minerva allowed them to precede her up the curving steps as a quick flick of her wand coerced the thick door to open inward. They waited patiently for her to assume her post behind the massive desk.

“Now, what has you wandering so far from the Great Hall when supper is due to start any moment?” she urged with a small curl of a smile.

“We were concerned about the current situation,” Cyrus began then seemed to lose steam as he sought guidance among the surrounding grim faces.

“What exactly would that be?” Minerva inquired. “Has there been some glitch in your plans for the Yuletide break?”

“No,” Beatrice Grady, the Head Girl, supplied. “We’re all looking forward to the hols… It’s just that your speech at the Sunday feast… well…”

“It was intended to be inspirational,” the Headmistress allowed. “I apologize if my frustration came across as well.”

“Are teachers to be held to the same standards as students?” Henry Middlestone ventured as he worked his way to the front. “Today’s Prophet…”

“Did that story finally run today?” Minerva posed quietly. “I confess I’m often too busy to review the newspaper until bedtime.”

“Then you knew about it?” Beatrice inquired with a set to her jaw.

“Of course, they quoted me as well. Or did they edit me out? One never knows for sure with the press…”

“No, you’re included,” Henry supplied as he smoothed the front page of the Daily Prophet on the desk before her. The lurid headline seemed to jump right off the page.

Umbridge Spills Many-Flavored Beans,

Can Scrimgeour Clean-Sweep Them Away?


Cyrus pointed to a smaller article in the corner entitled:

Hogwarts Remembers Umbridge


Although she was once numbered among them, the faculty and staff of Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry each recall Dolores Umbridge in their own way. Appointed to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts under an impromptu Ministry mandate, Ms. Umbridge arrived on school grounds in the fall of 1995 intent on conveying Cornelius Fudge’s unique view of the world. It was an approach that did not sit well with the students and teachers alike.

In spite of all the changes that have occurred in the intervening eight years, much of Hogwarts’ staff is still comprised of the same familiar faces, reshuffled with new duties and new responsibilities. Many were only too glad to offer their comments for our readers.

Recalling the repressive attitudes of the government at the time, Sybill Trelawney, Divination instructor, remembers her colleague as possessing “the loyalty of her convictions “ or rather those of her superiors at the Ministry.”

Rolanda Hooch, currently in charge of Muggle Studies, was Quidditch Coordinator and Games Mistress during the time when Ms. Umbridge was intent on reworking Hogwarts’ traditions. Her description echoes a common theme: “Unwavering loyalty even in the face of facts which might have led a more reasoned person to reconsider.”

Even though Ms. Umbridge was appointed over the late Headmaster Albus Dumbledore’s objections, there were some who welcomed a change in the status quo. Argus Filch, Hogwarts’ caretaker for most of his adult life, had only praise for Ms. Umbridge’s innovations. “Great mind for discipline, she had, yes indeed,” he maintained. “The castle never ran so smoothly. She was a hammer disguised in velvet.”

Poppy Pomfrey, school matron, recalls treating numerous students who had crossed Ms. Umbridge and offered up this commentary, “Many students were still traumatized by the tragedy of the Triwizard Tournament which resulted in the death of an innocent classmate. Compassion and willingness to lend a sympathetic ear would have gone a lot further than totalitarian methods.”

Rubeus Hagrid, Care of Magical Creatures, recalls Ms. Umbridge did not espouse the basic principles the school strives to instill in all its students. “Makin’ friends is more important than makin’ enemies; Dumbledore always held to tha’. The House system is intended ta foster ties among students not ta transfer a healthy rivalry from the Quidditch pitch ta the castle corridors.”

Venerable Charms instructor, Filius Flitwick, had this to say, “Hogwarts has always exemplified the diversity of wizarding society in a microcosm by employing those with dwarf and giant blood, Squibs, centaurs and even a ghost. Ms. Umbridge did not always demonstrate a willingness to treat everyone with the same regard she demanded as her due.”

Potions Master, Severus Snape, remembers those tense months with great clarity. In his customary succinct manner, he proclaims that Ms. Umbridge had “the courage to bring education to a standstill.”

Pomona Sprout, Head of Hufflepuff House and current Deputy Headmistress, recalls Ms. Umbridge daring to inspect her Herbology lessons with an undeniably condescending attitude. “She disbelieved everything she did not understand. Teachers are the visionaries of society; it is our duty to distill the incomprehensible into learning. Otherwise, it is we who fail and not the students.”

These sentiments were echoed by members of Hogwarts Board of Governors who issued the following statement: “There is a very good reason why the Ministry does not have a Department of Magical Education.”

But perhaps the most illuminating testimonial came from Minerva McGonagall, current Headmistress and deputy under the august Albus Dumbledore until his death seven years ago. She describes Ms. Umbridge’s presence as “a dark time in the history of Hogwarts. Students forced to learn in secret. Study groups banned as seditious. The Headmaster’s role usurped amid false allegations of treason”all because he was dedicated to furthering the cause of learning.”


The Headmistress skimmed the words until she found her own name, then assured them she had not been misquoted in this instance.

“You told us to stay out of it,” Winifred Sloane, a Prefect from Hufflepuff, complained. “Yet here your lot is trotting out--”

Her words were cut off by a gentle hand on her arm. Seeing that it was the Head Boy, Winnie gave him a contrite look as she backed down.

“Please, Headmistress, we just want to understand our proper role in this,” Patrick Mulvaney, Head Boy, offered with quiet gravitas.

Despite the dark curly locks and vibrant blue eyes identifying his Black Irish heritage, Patrick was steadfast and seldom ruffled. He was a natural leader who commanded with a calm self-assurance Minerva had not seen in one so young since she’d had the pleasure of teaching Cedric Diggory. What a tragedy that had turned out to be, she sighed inwardly.

“It was my intent you be spared participating in this petty skirmish entirely,” the Headmistress intoned as she gazed at each expectant face in turn. “Yes, the teachers spoke to reporters. It was important those present during Ms. Umbridge’s brief tenure acquaint the world with the truth. What’s more, as adults, the teachers are free to use their own judgment when it comes to these things.”

“But many of us are of age!” came a strident voice from the back Minerva was not quick enough to identify.

“That, ladies and gentlemen, is not the issue,” the Headmistress proclaimed. “None of you were present at the time in question, none had parents who were involved or even siblings….A few distant cousins at best. Try as you might, any quotes you give to the Prophet would only be your opinions. Opinions are not news.” Should she warn them of the last time students had been urged to spout off to the press? Not only had the coverage been entirely one-sided, but it had also escalated the hostilities within the school to near breaking point.

“Our feelings are to be discounted then?” cried Alice Bridges, the only sixth-year, as she flung her long braids over her shoulder.

“Of course not, my dear,” the Headmistress soothed. “Any concerns you have can be addressed to me as well as any of your teachers. Other than Professor Snape who has a rather formal view on what constitutes acceptable decorum between teacher and student, have any of us ever turned you away? Belittled you in any way?”

Amid a sea of shaking heads, Beatrice poked Henry in the ribs. “You should say something,” she muttered.

Henry looked helplessly at Patrick who cleared his throat meaningfully and volunteered. “We…a group of us present today…attempted to offer our support to Professor Lupin. He reacted as if he wished we’d said nothing at all.”

So this was the crux of the matter, Minerva surmised. Aloud, she prompted, “Can you remember the exact words?”

“I believe so, Headmistress,” Henry offered humbly. “It was us seventh years, you see. He’s always joking and laughing with us. Except for the last few weeks, there’s been a pall over him.”

“As if he’d had a death in the family,” Beatrice supplied. Then realizing her blunder, she added, “That hasn’t been it, has it?”

“No,” the Headmistress assured them. “I would have found a way to let everyone know if it had.”

“Look, there’s no use sugar-coating it,” Cyrus argued. “We know about the book. The one with no name and no author. We just wanted Remus -- I mean, Professor Lupin -- to know that none of us took those words to heart. That’s pretty much what was said.”

“After class, when no one but our small group was present,” Winifred clarified.

“How exactly did Professor Lupin react?” Minerva beseeched.

“He seemed shocked as if someone had just dowsed him with a bucket of ice,” Patrick remarked. “And then in a very formal manner, he reminded us that he was enjoined from discussing personal matters with his students.”

“All true,” the Headmistress maintained diplomatically.

“He then stood up abruptly and left the room, barely stuffing his papers into his briefcase,” Millicent Humphries added.

“Did he deduct any house points or set any other punishments?”

“It’s not that,” Patrick argued. “We…I wouldn’t have cared about that. Not that he did…”

“What did he do then?” the Headmistress delved.

“He just had the saddest look on his face,” Beatrice noted.

“Misty-eyed,” Millicent interjected.

“He looked like he needed someone to tell him a joke, more than anything,” Henry opined. “Only the lot of us were afraid to go after him.”

“But you felt someone should have,” the Headmistress finished intuitively to a chorus of nodding heads. “First of all, none of you did anything that was inappropriate. But you have to realize Professor Lupin is a very private man. Yes, despite his good-natured joking and easy-going manner…. Life has often been unfair to him. He guards his hard-earned happiness with a iron fist, is the best way I can put it. And in his eyes, this book you mention is a threat to all he holds dear.”

“Wouldn’t he welcome our support then?” Beatrice asked incredulously.

“Not in this case, I’m afraid; it just makes him feel more vulnerable.”
Thirteen: Christmas at the Burrow by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Thirteen
Christmas at the Burrow



“Dobby, it’s Christmas! You did a wonderful job with the Christmas Eve dinner for my family last night. Now you’re allowed some time off to spend with your friends,” Tonks insisted as she trained her other eye on the children’s last minute preparations.

“Weren’t you going to visit Winky at Hogwarts?” Harry inquired genially, sitting down on the closest chair to be more at eye level with the house-elf.

“Yes, Master…but…all those guests at the Burrow…” Dobby hesitated. “What if Mistress Molly needs another pair of hands and Dobby is with his feet up at the great castle?”

“Molly has dealt with a house full of children for years; a few extra guests are hardly going to put her out,” Remus supplied as he levitated a stack of brightly wrapped gifts towards the slate tiles before the hearth. “Do all house-elves suffer from such a large dose of guilt?”

“It’s not guilt exactly…” Dobby protested. “It’s duty.”

“My mum used to say much the same thing when she felt Dad and I weren’t helping out enough around the kitchen,” Remus joked. “Especially at holiday time.”

“Mine did too, until I burned the Christmas biscuits for the two hundredth time!” Tonks laughed unabashedly at the memory.

“Wish I’d thought of that,” Ginny sighed wistfully.

“Molly would never have accepted you were a hopeless case,” Harry observed snidely. “Whereas Tonks--”

“”had a natural, or should I say unnatural, aptitude!” Remus finished for him.

“Look, it was all Mum’s fault,” Tonks offered in mock defense. “If she’d only let me dance around the kitchen, my clumsy gene would have been lulled into submission!”

“And you wonder why Dobby is concerned?” Remus countered. “You lot just convinced him we would die of our own ineptitude without him!”

“Not die!” Dobby interjected with a smirk. “Just make poor Mistress Ginny do all the work.”

“Oooh, shades of Cinderella,” Ginny echoed with an overly dramatic swoon.

“Actually, I was thinking of a little French maid outfit,” Harry whispered in her ear loudly enough for everyone else to hear.

Despite the blush noticeably creeping up her throat, Ginny was not so easily trumped. “Why me? Remus is the one who speaks the language; let him wear the outfit!”

Amid the hilarity, Remus still managed to deadpan, “I haven’t got the legs for it.” With a wicked grin, he turned to look at Dobby, eyeing the elf carefully up and down. “I wonder….” he muttered as he rubbed his chin between thumb and forefinger.

“You think maybe holiday colors?” Harry suggested with a wide grin.

Caught in the crosshairs, Dobby didn’t hesitate to remind them to take the large hamper of rolls and baked goods to the Weasleys as his gift before he promptly Disapparated.

“If only I could motivate the children that way,” Tonks sighed as she excused herself to go check on their progress.

“I’ll get the snowsuits and boots from the Mud Room so they can frolic outside with the boys,” Ginny volunteered as Harry and Remus hurried to lend a hand.






There was a unique smell to the Burrow at Yuletide. It was more than the perfume of cinnamon and spices wafting from the kitchen or the rich smells of roasting turkey and bubbling gravy. Harry could not quantify it exactly, but somehow it always made him feel safe and secure. Other than Hogwarts, the Burrow had been the only true home he had know throughout his youth.

The fragrance of pine mingled with the woodsy scent of the crackling fire as Harry stumbled through the Floo Connection, bringing up the rear of the Godric’s Hollow brigade. Arthur was there with a steadying hand to help relieve him of the mountain of coats and galoshes. Molly caught him in a fierce hug that practically swung him off his feet, cooing her thanks to Dobby for his superlative skills with dough and yeast. Teddy was recounting to anyone who would listen how he had peeked at millions of different Christmas trees in the other drawing rooms whooshing by, heady with pride that he had been allowed to speak the destination himself. Phoebe practically sprung from Remus’ arms to go in search of Hermione and Eleanor once Molly explained that Victoire and Yvette were visiting their Aunt Gabrielle in London but would be back in time for supper. Ah, sweet chaos!

Remus was already uncorking the day’s first bottle of wine as Ron’s heavy tread was heard on the stairs. “Harry!” he cried as he took advantage of Molly’s inattention to jump over the lowest part of the banister rail. “I thought I heard your voice! Fred and George set up the Quidditch pitch early this morning. We’re all set for a match.”

“Snow rules?” Harry clarified, instantly on alert.

“Absolutely! Mum won’t let us play any other way with the little ones. Claims they’re not as hard-headed as we were at their age.”

Harry suspected Molly meant that figuratively, but saw no reason to correct his life-long pal.

“Where’s the Spook?” Ron swung his head around as he pretended not to notice Teddy who was tugging on his sleeve.

“You’ll give yourself a headache, Ron,” Ginny warned. “That little brain rattling around that thick skull.”

Ron looked like he wanted to retort, but relented at Teddy’s carefree laugher. Making a big production out of turning his back on his sister, he crouched over to be at eye level. “Did you bring the whistle I got you for Christmas?”

Teddy nodded eagerly as he grabbed the shiny whistle hanging from his neck. Harry stopped him before he could demonstrate indoors.

“Remus wants your head for that whistle, mate,” Harry issued out of the corner of his mouth. “Don’t encourage his headache to return or I won’t be responsible.”

“Right.” Ron nodded happily as Fred and George stomped in, showering everyone with ice crystals as they shrugged out of their coats. Harry caught the sharp scent of the snowy landscape before the back door banged shut.

Fred diverted attention by scooping Teddy up and offering to help him get his galoshes and coat buttoned properly.

“Charlie sent us in for a refill,” George breathed in Harry’s ear as he palmed a small flask from his jacket pocket. “Medicinal use, as they say in the Romanian mountains.”

“Would that be vodka?” Remus posed as he squeezed himself into the conversation.

“Nothing as manly as that,” George confessed. “Some nasty licorice stuff that warms you down to your toes.”

“Sounds appealing,” Remus allowed. “I’ll go get my coat and scarf. I’d love to learn the local pronunciation from Charlie.”

“So it’s just an intellectual exercise for you, you’re saying?” Ron commented with a skeptical squint.

“Especially if Tonks or Molly ask,” Remus shot back as he flashed the Marauder’s grin.

“I would have given anything to be in Gryffindor during his reign,” George issued wistfully as Remus went to double-check that Teddy’s cold weather gear passed muster.

“To hear him tell it, Sirius and James were much worse,” Fred amended from the doorway. “Face it, bro, we were born at the wrong time.”

“Considering the ranks of the Marauders have grown mighty thin, you might want to rethink that,” Harry noted dryly.

“He became quite a legend when he took over as Head of Gryffindor House as well,” Ron volunteered.

“Oooh, I’d forgotten about that,” George remarked. “That was in your final year, right?”

“Bet he had eyes in the back of his head like McGonagall did,” Fred added.

“Didn’t need to. Nothing got past him; he’d already seen it all,” Ron attested.

“He would just out-prank us. Nothing will put you in your place quite like that,” Harry agreed as he went to advise Molly they’d be in the meadow.

“Fine, dear.” Molly gazed up at him from where she had a sleeping Eleanor cuddled in her arms. “Just remind everyone there’s hot cocoa and soup on the stove for when they get cold and a whole tray of snacks and sandwiches on the sideboard if they get hungry.”

Harry nodded that he understood. With Bill and Fleur not arriving until dusk, Molly had rescheduled the traditional Christmas feast from mid-day to suppertime to accommodate everyone. Not that it had been her intent to give them the entire expanse of the afternoon to romp in the snow like school children, but it was nice it had worked out that way, Harry thought.






“I wondered if we were having an air raid,” Arthur remarked as he sidled up next to Remus along the fence. “Teddy does seem to like that whistle.”

“Not as much as the twins like to stage outrageous fouls,” Remus shot back.

Arthur chuckled heartily. “We’re all insurgents at heart; what can I say?”

“I’m surprised Ginny isn’t down here showing them how it’s done.”

“She will be as soon as she can extricate herself from the girl talk.”

“I’m surprised Tonks is still with them. She and Charlie were quite close when they were at school.”

“Hermione spent the day with Luna going over wedding plans earlier in the week,” Arthur explained.

“So it’s the review and rehash session.” Remus nodded sagely. “Did you invite Xenophilius? Teddy is quite taken with him.”

“He’s probably still bustling about the kitchen, preparing some exotic delicacy for tonight. After his wife passed away, he discovered he had a real flair for cooking. I suppose it was his way of making Luna feel she was loved that much more.”

“Was she very young when her mother passed?”

“Nine or ten,” Arthur replied solemnly.

“You call that Quidditch?” Ginny yelled from the porch. “You look like a bunch of crows swooping in response to Teddy’s bird calls. There’s no bird seed in Quidditch!”

The addition of Ginny into the mix energized the game and caused Charlie to be pulled from Remus’ language lessons and onto a broomstick to even up the teams. Being on opposite sides just made the twins more determined than ever to foul one another, leaving Phoebe to giggle continuously as she tried to keep track of the goals with lines in the snow like Arthur had shown her. Teddy, on the other hand, was more intent than ever on imposing order to the game and kept up with the whistle “ even though the wetly sounding trills indicated he was laughing along with everyone else.

A silvery beaver scampered upon the nearest fencepost to admonish them in Molly’s voice: “You’re going to wake young Eleanor with all that racket. You’d think we’d relocated the Burrow to the middle of Piccadilly Circus!”

As the Patronus dissolved into the nearest snowdrift, the game was reorganized to give Remus referee duty. When no one was looking, he pocketed Teddy’s whistle with a mumbled imprecation to Ron that had Arthur chortling with a knowing crinkle to his eyes.

Inspired by the earlier comparison to a blitzkrieg, Ginny agreed to mount Phoebe before her on the broomstick as Ron took Teddy. Meanwhile, the twins summoned an old torn net to house the snowball ammunition. As an added precaution, Remus and Harry volunteered to spot the two passengers from the ground in case anyone’s fall needed to be cushioned magically. Charlie created impromptu targets on the ground as Arthur recalled a spell to temporarily dye the snowballs so they could keep score. But it was much more fun to hit the erratic targets the twins supplied as they ran around waving their arms wildly and even Apparating from spot to spot. Each time they got hit, they would obligingly stiffen up and collapse backwards into the snow much to the delight of the young bombardiers.

A small huddled figure caught Remus’ eye as it approached down the snowy lane. A neighbor intent on making a holiday house call? Arthur shook his head that he didn’t know, but whoever it was had not triggered any of the protective charms surrounding the Weasley property so he must have been issued an invitation.

“Probably Percy,” Charlie breathed with a knowing smirk.

“I thought he had plans with his girlfriend,” Remus observed conversationally.

“Precisely,” Arthur commented. “Which is why it’s probably him.”

“Another one bites the dust,” Charlie added. “How many is that this year?”

Arthur shrugged with a crooked grin. “Only Ginny can keep up with the score. All I know is this one’s name was Elspeth.”

“What about Molly?” Remus suggested. “She always knows what’s gong on in every room of the house.”

“That she does!” Arthur chuckled wryly. “Which is precisely why Percy never brings his girlfriends to our gatherings.”

“Not since Penelope Clearwater,” Charlie affirmed in an undertone. “And he was still at Hogwarts then.”

Remus was about to interject that he remembered Penny as being a very adept student, but Percy’s hunched figure was too close to risk him overhearing. Remus clearly recalled how easily affronted Percy had been in class as well.

“Did I miss Christmas dinner?” Percy posed as he looked warily towards the house. “Mum won’t mind me picking through the leftovers, will she?”

“Nothing as dire as that, son,” Arthur supplied, catching Percy up in a one-armed hug. “Bill and family couldn’t make it until later, so your mother has us feasting at supper this year.”

Percy’s face broke into a wide grin. “So you’re all cavorting like savages just to work up an appetite, right?”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself!” Ron announced as he and Teddy skidded to a halt before the others.

Ginny was still spiraling down in tighter and tighter circles that had their hair whipping in the wind amid Phoebe’s gleeful encouragement.

Tonks was a bright bundle of contrasting mittens, hat, and boots as she distributed spice biscuits still warm from the oven. Harry caught Hermione’s eye as she stood gazing at them from the front window. He waved and flashed her a buoyant smile to indicate he’d join her later for some quiet conversation.






Harry looked up from the Muggle board game he was playing as the front door admitted Tonks and her two giggly children. With a firm nod, she sent them up the stairs to change out of their wet clothing.

“I’ll be up in a minute to make sure everything’s hung up in the shower,” she called after the tromping of snow boots. “Where’s Remus?”

Hermione looked up from counting the paper money Harry had just grudgingly handed over to her. “Arthur was mixing up some rum punch; said he had a new recipe from Xeno in order to make it flame invitingly. Remus was muttering various incarnations of the Aguamenti Charm in his wake.”

“Ron and the twins are trying to build a blast-ended skrewt out of snow,” Tonks supplied with a laugh. “The tail keeps melting down to the….er, quick…every time they try to animate it!”

“Flares designed for mountain climbers at high altitudes would probably work,” Hermione put forth. “But I don’t want to ruin their fun by interfering. I’m sure Weasleys Wizard Wheezes has a product which employs the same basic principles.”

She returned her attention to the board laid out on the low table before them after checking Eleanor was still sleeping soundly in the portable cradle at her feet. With a definite gloat in her smile, her dice roll was greeted by a triumphant whoop from Harry who held out his hand in anticipation.

He looked up again to find Ginny stomping her boots on the front porch as she tried in vain to reconfigure a long silk scarf into woolen Gryffindor stripes. Letting herself in, she muttered, “Remus will just have to reverse it himself,” as she draped it over the end of the banister.

“What kind of aerial game has you playing the role of Sybill Trelawney?” Harry posed with amusement.

“Once Percy joined in, we turned it into something called a ‘dogfight’,” Ginny explained as she brushed the last of the snow from her long hair. “I was Snoopy; all I know is he’s an ace. Teddy’s explanation of the game was a bit murky. There was something about a flying camel …” She shook her head in consternation as she started up the stairs to change. “Must be another incomprehensible Muggle custom.”

Hermione turned reproachful eyes towards Harry’s wide smirk. “You could straighten her out,” she chided lowly.

“I could…” Harry whispered back. “But this is much more entertaining. Kind of like a warm-up to Luna.”

“Luna and Neville will be by later. You couldn’t just wait?”

“An aperitif, as Remus would say,” Harry returned mischievously. “Besides, it’s your fault anyway.”

“Moi?” Hermione added her own wry imitation. “I was inside the whole time!”

“I’m sure Remus will agree that you were the instigator,” Tonks announced as she leaned a hip on the armrest. “You brought those Snoopy bed linens back from the States.”

“Perhaps someone needs to explain the back story to Teddy then,” Hermione sniffed airily.

“The grandiose plans he thinks up in his head don’t always convey themselves very artfully in his words,” Tonks acknowledged. “Give him time.”

As Tonks excused herself to teach Arthur the charm to produce a localized avalanche “ just in case”Hermione turned to Harry “There’s going to be hell to pay if you don’t come clean with Ginny.”

Harry nodded as he laughed light-heartedly. “I know. But now that we’re married, even the punishments are fun.”

Percy walked in just then, resplendent in garnet from head to toe. “Does anyone know how to undo this frigging clothing spell? I don’t want to spend the rest of the day looking like Godric Gryffindor’s comic sidekick!”

Hermione burst out laughing at his plight. “Here,” she offered as she returned all but the scarf to its former muted shades. “I must admit you make a rather impressive Baron von Richthofen.”

“He was the only one who could do justice to the Prussian accent,” Ginny supplied sweetly as she danced down the stairs.

Not to mention the stiff posture, Harry thought to himself but wisely kept silent.

“Uncle Xeno! Uncle Xeno!” came the high-pitched calls as Teddy and Phoebe careened down the stairs.

Only Molly’s quick thinking managed to summon the roasting pan from Xenophilius’ hands to hers as he was nearly bowled over by sheer momentum.

“We saw you coming!” Phoebe attested as she pointed her little stubby finer towards the first floor landing.

Considering the loud fabric of his robes, he could probably have been identified by orbiting satellites, Harry chuckled inwardly. Aloud he offered, “Happy Christmas, Xeno! We were just talking about Luna.”

With a broad smile, Xeno promised, “Luna and Neville will be here shortly. Last minute gift-wrapping. I just wanted to bring my masterpiece over while it was still warm.”

“Is that heavenly aroma your renowned roast goose?” Ron intoned from the doorway. “Drew me forth like a hound on the scent.”

Xeno laughed heartily as he clasped Ron’s hand in greeting.

“Curried fig and blackberry dressing?” Molly inquired as she tried to sneak a peek under the lid.

“Don’t forget the smoked filberts!” Xeno intoned happily.

Catching Harry’ dubious expression, Ron leaned over and whispered, “It tastes a lot better than it sounds!”

“Really, Xeno, you didn’t need to go to all the bother,” Arthur supplied in greeting. “We would have welcomed you empty-handed even.”

“Nonsense,” Xeno protested “It was a labor of love, it was. Neville’s gran, Augusta, doesn’t much care for goose so there was no point in making it for Christmas Eve. But that’s no reason to deprive the rest of us!”

Catching on, Hermione politely inquired, “How did it go last night at the Longbottom residence?”

“Grand old house indeed,” Xeno supplied as he took a seat opposite Hermione. “Hasn’t changed much since Neville Chamberlain’s time, though. And that thimbleberry wine…” He screwed up his face humorously, much to the delight of the little ones.

“Perhaps you could help us light the punch then,” Charlie suggested. “The brandy keeps going out--”

“And Molly won’t let me apply the Incendio charm to the grain alcohol Tonks recommended,” Remus finished for him.

“That’s because you’re missing the secret ingredient,” Xeno announced as he held up a bright red bottle from the pocket of his robe. “Imparts the perfect holiday coloring as well.”

“Children’s cough syrup?” Hermione exclaimed as she caught sight of the label.

Xeno gave an insouciant shrug. “Apparently Muggles feel that a bit of intoxication helps to suppress a cough.”

Tonks licked her lips in anticipation. “Did you bring the cherry flavored one?”

“Of course,” Xeno remarked. “Everyone knows that grape’s only for Easter!”

The twins took that very moment to enter through the back door, gaily showering everyone with bits of snow and ice from their hats and gloves. “Got it working finally,” Fred announced. “Pyrotechnic display is set for after supper.”

“All we needed was a bit of our fireworks rated especially for low ambient temperatures,” George explained as he smacked his palm playfully again his forehead.

“Show us!” Phoebe squealed with delight as she tried to outrun Teddy into the kitchen. The sound of the scraping chairs indicated they had climbed onto the sink to peer out the window into the back yard.






“Percy seems in fine spirits,” Harry noted as Ginny cuddled up next to him on the sofa.

Ginny appraised the group on the other side of the room, Percy laughing at the twins’ exploits as he precariously balanced his flaming goblet. “Fred won the wager you know. He had Christmas Day. George was pretty peeved that Dad put in for Christmas Eve so he had to settle for Boxing Day. He was actually considering how to slip Perce a sleeping draught so he’d sleep right through Christmas Day entirely.”

Harry laughed along merrily at their outrageous antics. Only the Weasleys would think to bet on their hapless brother’s failed romances.

“You know Percy’d probably skin you if he knew about it,” Harry whispered.

“Not if Mum caught us first!” Ginny giggled. “That’s one of the major reasons the twins insisted we had to include Dad.”

“Poor Arthur running interference again,” Harry moaned playfully.

“Hardly. If it weren’t for us, Dad would never get to indulge his inner rebel.”

“So what day did you have?”

“Not until after New Years’”that’s when the requisite one month and thirteen days tolled. I prefer a more scientific approach.”

“Why that particular increment?” Harry posed, intrigued by her devious nature and pleased that she never seemed to use it against him.

“Just long enough for him to plumb the shallows of her personality and vice versa, but not long enough for Mum to demand he bring her by for Sunday dinner.”

Harry nodded in homage to her powers of observation. In the past four or five years, Percy had only brought one girl to the Burrow “ and that was only because she had been a classmate of the twins and was anxious to get caught up. “So what was the name of the fallen?” he posed. “Lost my scorecard.”

Ginny tapped her head with a small knowing smirk. “Have to keep all those secrets in the safest vault of all. Elspeth Macabee.”

“He certainly had a cloud over his head when he slouched over to join us in the meadow,” Harry noted. “You suppose Molly tried to give him some advice again?”

Ginny shrugged. “Seems like the cloud lifted after all that flying. Impersonating the Bloody Red Baron must really suit him.”

“He nearly swallowed his scarf when you took a nose dive and didn’t let up until you were parallel with the fence line!” Harry chuckled at the memory. “I was watching through the window.”

“Serves him right for never attending any of my Quidditch matches at Hogwarts. Everyone knows the Wronski Feint.”

“Perhaps so, but very few people can pull if off without having to be carried away in a stretcher,” Harry noted dryly.

“It was pretty stupid on my part, I admit it,” Ginny allowed with a tiny wince that only made her look cuter in Harry’s estimation. “Can’t very well lob snowballs from underneath.”

“Good thing Percy was too busy trying to get the air back into his lungs to empty his whole cache on you. The look in your eyes when you realized that was priceless!”

“And here I thought the lot of them were giggling like loons due to that Romanian firewater Charlie was passing around.”

“So what do you think about Percy?” Harry reminded her with a nod towards the tight group near the punch bowl. “Is he just giddy from the rum?”

Ginny tilted her head in consideration. “You’re recalling the conversation we had about Penelope Clearwater, aren’t you?”

“Um “ hum,” Harry breathed as casually as possible as Percy briefly glanced in their direction.

“I’ll find out before much longer,” Ginny promised. “Just wait ‘til he leaves the room so I can get him on his own.”

“What are you two whispering about?” Molly announced to the whole room at large as she leaned over the back of the sofa.

Harry’s heart made as if to leave his chest as Ginny replied smoothly, “Newlyweds, Mum. Need I say anything else?”

“That excuse won’t work forever, Ginerva,” cautioned Molly, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

They were saved by Tonks leaning in from the kitchen doorway. “I think it’s time we put those last two pies in the oven,” she advised Molly. “Don’t bother yourself; I’m at least a dozen paces closer to the oven.”

With a hint of panic in her eyes, Molly hustled off to lend a hand as Tonks flashed a saucy wink at Harry and Ginny.

“That’s my cue to finish up the last wedge of pie, mates,” Ron intoned with preternatural hearing as he crept down from the first floor landing.

“There’s at least enough for two,” Percy countered as he followed on his heels.

“Now’s the time,” Ginny whispered in Harry’s ear as she eased herself onto her feet. “I could use another cup of cocoa anyway. Get one for you, too?”

Harry nodded happily as Teddy and Phoebe catapulted onto the other end of the sofa to keep him company.

“I thought you were cozying up with Uncle Xeno?” Harry posed to their flushed faces.

“He wouldn’t let us have any of the fiery drinks,” Teddy complained with a small pout.

“That’s no reason to run you off, though,” Harry considered in return.

“Mum did,” Phoebe asserted solemnly.

Harry leveled his eyes on Teddy for confirmation. “Bad move on your part?”

Teddy hung his head in chagrin. “Everyone was saying I would burn my fringe. But I told Uncle Xeno I wasn’t as clumsy as Mum.”

Harry screwed up his face in displeasure.

“Mum made the same face!” Phoebe squealed.

“Yeah, right before Dad chucked us out into the hall.”

“Not very tactful, Spook,” Harry admonished him with a wide grin. “You can have some of my cocoa when Ginny gets back.”

They both broke into smiles as they held out their hands for Harry to magically summon their mugs.








“So, Percy,” Ginny began casually as she leaned on the kitchen counter.

“Whatever it is, no,” Percy responded instinctively without looking up.

“Is that your holiday spirit?” Ginny countered with an innocent smile.

“Self-preservation,” he asserted through a mouthful of pie. “Sorry, I didn’t get much lunch.”

“Surely the Macabees didn’t indulge in a traditional Christmas food fight?”

Percy laughed sharply. “That’s only a tradition in this household. Most people prefer to air their political views in a more civilized manner.”

“I was a child; what can I say?”

“If you’ve come to convince me you’ve grown up in the meanwhile, I’m going to need some corroborating witnesses,” Percy argued but his wide grin gave him away.

Double-checking that Ron had melted away after retrieving his pie ration, Ginny ventured, “So how’s it going in the Cultural Affairs Department?”

“Office,” he corrected automatically. “It’s a branch of my division. Serpentine bureaucracy.”

“The multi-armed beast as Dad used to call it when we were little.”

“Why do you want to know? Wondering why they put up with a gormless git like me? Mum beat you to the punch hours ago.”

“Did she mention that the totality of your cultural knowledge is encompassed in your little finger?” she added with a wicked smirk.

Percy laughed outright at her audacity. “You’ve been hanging around Remus too much. But no, Mum just stuck to the basics like a broken phonograph record.”

“Sorry to hear about Elspeth. I rather liked her.”

“You met her once in the Ministry Atrium,” Percy corrected.

“She made a lasting impression,” Ginny confirmed with a wry twist to her lips. “Still, I suppose there was no other way…”

“Get to the point, Sis. I’m not susceptible to your wheedling ways.”

“I assume Mum already tried the subtle approach.” She waited for him to snort at her obvious sarcasm. “Penelope Clearwater.”

“What about her?”

“She’s working in your division.”

“So you read the article in the Prophet.”

“Is it the same Penelope Clearwater who was at school with us?”

“What if it is? I would hardly expect you to remember her seeing as how your first year was so traumatic. Such a thing would have never transpired if I had been Head Boy that year.”

“Don’t beat yourself up about it,” she allowed generously. “But you forget that Penny visited the Burrow a number of times after that. Saw you off quite spectacularly on Platform Nine and Three-Quarters “ even if she was about to board the same train herself. Not to mention the other incident that required me to keep silent….”

Percy blushed copiously. “Not one of my most guarded moments. I suppose you’re going to say you didn’t recognize her photo as you only remember the back of her head.”

“Sounds like something Ron would say.”

“It was. More vitriol than imagination. Laughed himself silly when the color drained from my face. Claimed my freckles practically pulsed at him with anger. Like he’s one to talk.”

“Self-delusional, Hermione claims. Filthy hypocrite, I always say.”

“If I admit it’s the same person, then what?” Percy urged as he speared some cheese cubes with his pie fork.

“Have you asked her out yet?”

“Not that it’s any of your business, but yes.”

“So that’s why you had to clear the decks with Elspeth.”

“I wish! It was more like Penelope mopping the deck with me. And all I asked was if she wanted to stop by the pub “ as colleagues, mind you. Said she had responsibilities to her son at home.”

Ginny shook her head in commiseration. “Wrong approach, is all.”

“Really, Ginny, wouldn’t Veritaserum be more efficient?”

Without missing a beat, she shot back, “Mum used up the family’s allotment. Can’t buy any more until after the first of the year.”

“Have Harry bring you some from the Auror Department then!” He relented as he watched her fingering her wand in an all too familiar manner from their childhood. “Look, if you’re here to meddle, I’m just about pathetic and desperate enough to listen.”

With a wide smile, she proposed, “Invite her to dinner at my house.”

“With Harry and Remus and Tonks there as well?” he countered incredulously.

“Don’t forget Rabbit and Spook.”

“How would this be any different from being subjected to Mum’s inquisition?”

“Remus and Tonks will put her at ease and her son will be entertained by Teddy and Phoebe,” Ginny supplied with alacrity. “Remus will still test her, but since she was in Ravenclaw, I’m sure she’ll pass.”

Recalling how fondly Penelope had spoke of Remus’ Dark Arts classes, Percy conceded Ginny might just have hit upon a workable angle. “It’s worth a try,” he mumbled as he toasted her with the last of his Christmas punch.







Bill and family arrived amid a huge cloud of Floo Powder.

Laughing merrily, Bill scolded Victoire, “Now will you believe me when I say only one handful is required?”

“But ‘er ‘air!” Fleur laughed as she noticed the cascade of sparking lime green locks on her daughter’s head. “ ‘ow festive, cherie!”

“Mummy!” young Yvette demanded from where she had scrambled to the floor. “Tonks,” she announced proudly as she pointed to her sister’s hair.

“Yes, indeed,” Molly agreed as she swept Yvette into her arms in greeting. “Your sister looks just like Tonks. But you shouldn’t track Floo Powder all through the house,” she fussed with a wide playful grin.

A quick flick of Arthur’s wand returned Victoire’s hair to its natural blonde shade. “With my luck, Floo Powder will turn out to be flammable,” he muttered.

Instantly, Harry was reminded of the Muggle cartoons he had enjoyed as a small child. As he imagined a long trail of emerald green particles snaking through the living room in his mind’s eye, one of the twins went up in smoke the second he made contact with the gunpowder-like substance while holding a mug of flaming punch. A shared whisper with Hermione soon had her laughing uproariously as well.

“Don’t think such a thing won’t happen in the wizarding world,” Neville warned as he joined in. “My entire first year is living proof of that!”

“Good thing they managed to graduate you anyway,” Luna proclaimed in an ethereal tone as she came up behind him. “Have you two been indulging in Father’s punch already?”

“So there are my little mademoiselles!” Xeno exclaimed as he squatted down to hug Victoire and Yvette, one in each arm. They allowed him the briefest squeeze as they caught sight of Phoebe and Teddy already examining the brightly colored packages under the Weasleys’ giant tree.

“To think we would ever pass out presents like right Muggles,” Molly exclaimed as she quickly dried her hands on her apron. “I was going to wait until after supper, but--”

“Père Nöel, ‘e ‘as visited ze Burrow!” Fleur exclaimed as she joined the children on the carpet to sort through the tags before the paper started to fly in earnest.






The glow of the flaming goblets painted the snow skrewt’s face with a ruddy reflection. Ron had taken a bit of artistic license and added antennae made from long branches of curly willow and spent coals wrapped in shiny gift paper to serve as eyes. To imitate the creature’s exoskeleton, the finished sculpture had been cleverly sprayed with a thin layer of water that had since hardened into an icy shell. The stinging tail arched over its back, shining a deadly shade of blue in the moonlight.

Over the heads of the crowd, Fred and George nodded wordlessly to one another and both directed their wands towards the skrewt. A small sizzle started deep within the hollow tail as the spectators wisely took a few steps back. With a mighty shudder, colored balls of fire shot out, reflected as a moving rainbow upon the sparkling blanket of snow. Once spent, the beast collapsed upon itself in exhaustion as Ron and the twins were hailed with an enthusiastic round of applause.

“Did you really have to take care of such creatures at school?” Teddy asked the twins with wide-eyed delight.

“Trust me, Spook,” Fred admitted with rare candor. “They were a singularly bad mannered lot “ worse than the Slytherins even.”

“Not even Hagrid could really warm up to them and that’s really saying something,” George volunteered.

“Without a doubt, the arctic variety is much tamer,” Harry acknowledged as Molly herded them back inside the warm house.
Fourteen: Making Merry by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Fourteen
Making Merry



Their stomachs still full from the magnificent feast that had preceded the fireworks, no one was anxious to call it a night just yet. Victoire and Yvette had boundless energy, something which convinced their weary parents the afternoon nap had been a bad strategy.

“Now, Bill,” Molly reminded him with a fond smile. “Don’t you remember how you were at Christmas?”

“I always had to navigate around little sleeping bundles if I needed a snack in the middle of the night,” Arthur recalled.

“Per’aps a quiet game would be best, non?” Fleur suggested as the children caught sight of the abandoned Muggle board game.

“Let me get you started,” Harry proposed as the children took their places around the low table.

Intrigued by the brightly colored pieces before her, Fleur listened to Harry’s explanation of the rules. “Ah, I remember a similar game from my youz,” she revealed. “Alzough ze names were more familiar.”

With a convoluted bit of wand waving, she transfigured the board so it was full of French landmarks much to the delight of the children. “Zis iz better,” she allowed with a satisfied nod. “Now at least one of us will know ‘er way about ze town!”

Much to Harry’s amazement, the board was no longer the familiar square shape, but had been reconfigured into a city map with irregular borders, its center bisected by a winding river with a small island in the middle. The pattern of squares on which the players’ markers rested made a serpentine loop around the city, traveling through all the major Parisian neighborhoods. Even though all the names were in French, he recognized the familiar railroads had been transformed into the Métro, the Arc de Triomphe, the Moulin Rouge, and of course, the Eiffel Tower. The iron bars in the corner square signifying the jail had been relabeled as the Bastille.

“You have me at a disadvantage,” Harry demurred. “You don’t mind if I leave the rest of you to it then?”

“Here, allow me,” Remus offered as he claimed Harry’s top hat game piece. “This might work great in my classes at Hogwarts. Want to explain the rules to me, Fleur?”





With the cadences of rapid fire French in the background, Harry retreated to the next room to claim another cup of the excellent rum punch. He bypassed Hermione and Ginny who were admiring Luna’s unique engagement ring as Arthur looked on with a snoozing Eleanor nestled expertly in his arms.

Harry found a rather pensive Tonks on the nearby loveseat. “You’re surprisingly quiet,” he offered tentatively.

“Just worn out. I was hoping to have a bit of a lie-in this morn--”

“”but it’s Christmas,” Harry supplied.

“Does that make me a spoil-sport?” she decried in a rhetorical tone of voice. “Not a single gift needed refrigeration or had an expiration date, I might add!”

Harry opened his mouth to empathize but then reconsidered. After all, he and Ginny had not worked their way downstairs until very late morning.

From the other room, Remus’ voice could be heard explaining that Montmartre, St. Germain, and the Left Bank were all different sections of Paris. “Or arrondissments,” he clarified in his best professorial tone.

“What do you think, George?” Fred posed as he joined the group gathered around the lively Paris map.

“Seems a bit unfair to me,” his twin agreed. “Victoire and Teddy can hold their own, but poor Phoebe and Yvette are at a definite disadvantage.”

“Don’t you girls want to be included as well?” Fred proposed.

To the avid nods he received, George supplied, “Then you are in luck, mademoiselles. For today only, we are offering free financial advice.”

“Get real, George,” Ron took a shot in passing. “No one would hire you to mind their finances. You still need Bill to help you convert from Euros to Galleons.”

“Not anymore,” Fred announced with a wide flourish of his wand. Instantly, the prices on the board and play money were converted to familiar coins of gold, silver and copper.

“A knut for your thoughts?” George volunteered as he folded his long legs before the low table and allowed Yvette to scamper onto his lap.

Fred did likewise with Phoebe as he tossed his twin the Scotty dog game piece. “Don’t you worry, Rabbit; I saved the best for us. Do you know what this is?” He displayed the small object in the palm of his hand.

Phoebe nodded happily. “Tea cup.”

“Not just any tea cup. This is a biting tea cup from Zonko’s. They used to supply novelty products to the students at Hogwarts.”

“Before they were forced out of business by two very intrepid, very handsome, very redheaded entrepreneurs,” George finished for him.

“Don’t you want to join in?” Harry posed as he nodded toward the boisterous group which had now switched back to English.

“Perhaps I’m a little too familiar with Paris,” Tonks signified.

“I’m not sure I follow…”

“You see that hotel Teddy is working towards in the Pigalle District? That’s so inaccurate.”

“You mean in light of Remus’ insistence that it be a cathedral on the Ile de la Cité?”

“What’s Paris without Notre Dame?”

“Don’t forget the gargoyles! Teddy didn’t; he’s going to charge them rent.”

Tonks broke out in melodic laughter. “He would remember that detail. As for the Pigalle…” She lowered her voice to a mere whisper. “…I don’t think they’d much appreciate my pointing out that any hotel was likely to be a brothel. For the sake of accuracy, mind you.”

“Not even if you used a euphemism?” Harry suggested with a snigger.

“What do you have in mind? A rooming house for the easily corrupted?”

“Sounds like a retirement home for Death Eaters!”

“See what I mean?” She hesitated briefly as she listened in to the others. “Besides, it appears as if Teddy is mounting his own campaign for truth in packaging.”

From the other room, Teddy’s high-pitched voice rose in volume. “”not right! If I’m stuck with a ruddy cathedral, then Victoire can’t put a hotel in the Louvre. It’s a museum.”

“It is now, Spook,” Remus interceded in a conciliatory fashion. “But did you know it used to be a medieval fortress that housed a large military garrison? That’s very similar to a hotel.”

“Here?” Phoebe spoke up. “Can I build?”

“Let’s zee,” Fleur intoned as she leaned over for a closer look. “Ah, ze Latin Quarter.”

“Don’t they speak French like us?” Victoire chimed in.

“Oui, cherie. Eet’s ze district for ze université…” Fleur began only to be cut short almost immediately.

“Where they teach them to speak Latin?” George interjected.

“Don’t be such a fool, bro,” Fred chastised him. “Who’d want to learn a dead language?”

“Is that what they speak in the catacombs then?” Teddy eagerly broke in as he waved the corresponding deed card picturing a jaunty skeleton in a tuxedo.

“Not quite, Spook,” Remus corrected him as soon as he was able to stop laughing. “Paris is a very old city and many of its customs originated long ago. In medieval times--”

“”ze Dark Ages,” Fleur clarified.

Unperturbed, Remus continued, “Large segments of the population were uneducated and could not even read or write. The books in the library were all written in Latin so scholars used that as a common tongue among them.”

“Is that where Beauxbatons is?” Victoire implored.

Fleur laughed. “Non, cherie. Eet would not be possible to keep eet a secret from ze Muggles in ze ‘eart of a busy city. La Sorbonne ees located zere.”

“Student dormitories,” Fred surmised.

“Maybe even different Houses,” George contributed to Phoebe’s delight.

Tonks turned her attention to Harry. “In the interest of international cooperation, I think they‘re doing just fine on their own,” she remarked. “Besides, I had something I wanted to ask you.”

Harry took a long swallow of his punch as he waited for her to elaborate.

With a quick look to double check that everyone else was occupied, she urged in an undertone, “That story Neville told us about the Yule Ball. Did he get the facts right?”

“Fundamentally,” Harry allowed sheepishly. “I wasn’t aware of the part about Ginny, obviously. I finally got a date with Cho the following year. Any initial attraction abandoned us after one rather calamitous Hogsmeade visit.” Tonks made as if to sympathize, but Harry held up a hand to forestall her. “It’s Cho who deserves your sympathy; it was her boyfriend who died during the Triwizard Tournament. I couldn’t even stop that from happening, how could she have wanted to be friends with me?”

“Perhaps she didn’t blame you.”

“How could she not? I brought Cedric’s body back; she had only my word for what happened.”

“Yet she believed you,” Tonks suggested softly.

“Yes, but it didn’t make things any easier for her, did it?” Harry retorted in a hollow voice.

Attempting to turn the conversation into something more upbeat, Tonks observed, “Leave it to Neville to find a bit of hope among all that despair.”

With a mirthless smile, Harry agreed. “He’s turned out to be an extraordinary friend.”






Once Eleanor awoke, Molly instantly appropriated her from Arthur and carried her newest granddaughter among the guests who were present for her very first Christmas. Even at such a tender age, Eleanor’s dark eyes were fascinated as Molly narrated a personal documentary of the diverse activities going on throughout the Burrow.

“Well, well, what have we here?” Xeno exclaimed in an exaggerated fashion which brought a tiny smile to the baby’s lips. “Another usurper for the throne of the fair?”

“Ironic, isn’t it?” Molly glowed proudly. “After all the generations of boys from Arthur’s side and me the only girl on my side, our children seem to have no trouble producing females. Poor Teddy’s going to feel just like Ginny did while she was growing up.”

Xeno saw no reason to point out that Teddy was not technically a Weasley, at least not as far as his genes were concerned.

Molly made to walk the circuit of the room to where Hermione was idly watching Charlie trounce Bill at wizard’s chess. But Eleanor seemed to have other ideas as she craned her small head around to keep Xeno in sight.

Noticing this, Luna remarked directly to Eleanor, “Father’s robes are rather memorable, wouldn’t you say? Perhaps you’d like to hear the tale behind them?” As Eleanor’s eyes swiveled from daughter to father and back again, Luna waved Xeno over to join them.

As Eleanor’s proxy, Molly encouraged the conversation, “Can’t say I’ve ever seen anything quite like them. I would have sworn they were a totally different color when you arrived.”

Xeno bobbed his head happily for Eleanor’s benefit. “Oh, yes! They change color according to the time of day. Too bad winter sunsets are so muted or you would have been blinded at dusk.”

“Rather like the ceiling in the Great Hall at Hogwarts,” Neville commented.

“I suppose so,” Luna supplied in a thoughtful tone. “Somehow the stars and moon are always represented regardless of the season. Just be glad it’s not storming outside.”

“Does it show the lightning bolts?” Ron asked excitedly. “Wicked!”

“A veritable light show!” Xeno affirmed. “Wouldn’t dare come that close to a lightning bolt without frying myself otherwise.”

“Thunder too?” Ron urged.

“Blessedly, no,” Xeno confirmed.

“Leaks quite a bit when it rains, though,” Luna confided. “He walks around in his own puddle, beseeching others to keep up the Quick Dry charms.”

“A minor fault which allowed me to purchase it at a very reasonable price,” Xeno asserted with a satisfied twinkle to his pale blue eyes.

“And where exactly was that?” Hermione asked, thinking to herself that Xenophilius Lovegood personified the meaning of the word eccentric. “I’ve not seen anything remotely like it in Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley “ and it’s obviously not from a Muggle store.”

Assured he had amassed an avid audience, Xenophilius outlined how he had traveled to the Salisbury Plain on a pilgrimage of sorts. After despairing of finding any relief for his arthritic knee joints from any mainstream Healer, he’d sought the advice of a mid-wife who specialized in ages old medicine.

“Sacred knowledge handed down from mother to daughter from the time of the Druids, or so she claimed,” Xeno chuckled. “She promised the unseen rays of the new moon had great restorative powers to those who believed in what they could not see.”

“Sounds like a lot of dragon dung to me,” Ron attested. “Please forgive me for saying so.”

“Quite all right, I was of the same opinion myself. But nothing else had worked, you see. No potions or draughts or much-touted poultices. What did I have to lose? I reminded myself. Might get a bit of a holiday in the process.”

“I suppose it’s not really that different from bathing in the sacred waters at Lourdes like Muggles do,” Hermione indulged.

“Exactly,” Luna agreed. “And wizards trust in that which we cannot see all the time.”

“But magic had visible results,” Ron argued.

“Believers will say the same about a miracle,” Hermione maintained.

But following his mid-wife’s detailed instructions was not so easy, Xeno continued. “One’s body had to be oriented precisely on just the right surface to draw forth the shy moonbeams. And it couldn’t be a boulder that had been contoured by modern manufacturing techniques, so forget just Apparating to the nearest rock quarry. Mother Nature’s cooperation was essential.”

“The assistance of the Goddess,” Hermione amended.

“Precisely, or so the New Age mystics in Glastonbury assured me. The strangest mix of Muggles you ever saw. Might have even been wizarding folk among them; their garb was certainly outlandish enough. Some marketing genius discovered you could sell robes to Muggles as long as you called them ‘kaftans.’ For a rather shaky moment, I wondered whether the Statute of Secrecy had been repealed when my back was turned.”

Hermione laughed openly. “So no one would have looked twice at a true wizard in their midst.”

“Even that chap in the kilt and sandals that Tonks likes to trot out might have passed unnoticed,” Luna confirmed.

“So on the night of the new moon, I Disillusioned myself so I could sneak past the ropes Muggle authorities have placed around the sacred site to keep it from being overrun by the unenlightened. That’s the term the mystics were using; anyone who was not a follower of the Goddess was unenlightened.”

“Muggles and wizards,” Molly shrugged as if to say that categorization was nothing new.

“Christians and Philistines. Muslims and infidels,” Hermione philosophized.

“Forgive me, Xeno, but why didn’t you just Apparate past all the Muggle barriers?” Ron considered. “Why risk stumbling about in the dark and twisting your foot among the broken boulders?”

“Didn’t want to get hauled off to jail. I’d been warned that Muggle Law Enforcement was often on hand to enforce their arbitrary ban on the Stonehenge site.” Xeno spread his hands to indicate the rest was obvious.

To Ron’s obstinate look, Hermione whispered, “Surely you haven’t forgotten that Apparition while in a Disillusioned state makes you instantly visible when you materialize. Severs the charm completely.”

“Right,” Ron affirmed with a sheepish grin. “Not much call for that in the Magical Games Department.”

“Certainly not now that Ludo Bagman isn’t trying to hide his ill-gotten gains from the goblins,” Ginny quipped as she joined the group.

From Ginny’s side, Harry claimed, “Face it, Ron; you wouldn’t last a day in the Auror Department.”

“Spoken by a man with an Invisibility Cloak,” Ron retorted playfully.

“Just because I can’t be seen doesn’t mean I can’t be hit by a stray spell,” Harry countered.

“That’s what Protego charms are for,” Neville interjected wryly. “Lesson number one, Dumbledore’s Army.”

Amid the good natured chuckling, Hermione squeezed in, “As Muggles say: you would be toast in the Auror Department, Ron.”

“A roasted marshmallow,” Luna echoed in such a papery voice no one would ever accuse her of being malicious.

“So did the treatment work?” Molly prodded as she bounced Eleanor in her arms to elicit a toothless grin.

Xeno wasn’t certain. “Damnable night I spent on that ruddy rock! Every irregularity felt like a miniature mountain range. Then close to dawn, I finally dropped off from sheer exhaustion only to be blessed with an early morning rain shower. Dripping and miserable, I just gave it up and Apparated back to my hotel room so I could dry myself in relative comfort. Gave myself a chill in the process and was laid up for two extra days after that.”

“And your arthritis?” Molly pressed.

“After two days of room service and judicious amounts of Firewhiskey, it felt much better!”

“Not to mention all that enforced hiking amid the Muggle throngs allowed him to exercise his joints as his regular Healer had recommended,” Luna observed.

“Had to do a fair amount of reconnaissance before I located a true wizard’s shop,” Xeno attested in his own defense. “Tucked away at the end of an alley; if I hadn’t felt the familiar tingle of magic I would have bypassed it entirely. And that, my friends, is where I acquired the stellar robes you see before you today.”






“Excuse me, Xeno,” Charlie implored. “Didn’t you and I play wizard’s chess many years ago?”

“Aye, lad,” Xeno affirmed. “I hardly think your mind’s playing tricks on you.”

“I remember, too,” Bill affirmed. “Mum shooed us off so we wouldn’t wake the twins who were so difficult to put down for a nap.”

“Where was Percy, then?” Ron demanded.

“I was reading peacefully in the orchard, I’m sure,” Percy attested with a small snort.

“You told us funny stories about your childhood,” Charlie elaborated. “Can’t remember the details, only that we laughed more than we played chess.”

“Probably because we were pathetic at chess,” Bill noted wryly. “Not that we’ve improved much in the intervening years. It only took Ron a few modest moves to best us both.”

“Really?” Xeno posed with a mischievous glint in his eye. “Ron’s that good?”

“I got a lot of practice at Hogwarts,” Ron replied modestly. “My personal advisor was a chess master and we ended our lessons with a match more often than not.”

“Are you familiar with the Astral Plain variation?” Xeno suggested as they worked their way towards the kitchen. The chessboards were still set up on the worn trestle table before them.

“Is that the three dimensional version?” Ron scoffed. “I thought that was a Muggle invention. Sort of a novelty, really. Flitwick has to devise his own rules to make it work.”

“Not really, we never had such fancy trapping where I grew up on the farmstead,” Xeno expounded. “Although it would facilitate things if we had one of those sets with the pieces which are trained to sit on shot glasses…”

“Got one upstairs,” Fred offered.

“It’s been one of our best sellers,” George supplied as his twin’s heavy footfalls could be heard on the floor above. “You really should accept a percentage for giving us the idea, Xeno.”

“Wouldn’t hear of it,” Xeno demurred as Fred returned with the required chessmen.
“Now yer sure Molly’s off on ‘er own?” he conspired in a whisper.

“If there’s a baby in the room, she wouldn’t notice if we were hauled off by a herd of predatory nifflers,” Bill breathed in return as his brothers nodded with conviction.

“The secret’s in this wee bottle here,” Xeno began as he extracted what looked like a tiny perfume flask from his robes. One tap of the wand, though, and it enlarged to the size of a whiskey bottle.

“But it’s green,” Bill protested.

“Like the Slytherins.” Ron grimaced with distaste.

“Nothing of the kind,” Xeno scoffed. “Think of this as one of those green dragons that are the most pacific of the lot.”

“Only in comparison to the others,” Charlie countered.

Unperturbed, Xeno meticulously poured no more than a thin green layer in each of the shot glasses. “Trust me, this will catch up with you sooner than you think. But be warned, the astral plain is full of traps rather like invisible bogs.”

“What happens if I trip into one?” Ron asked with wide-eyes.

“You’re bound to get a deadly dose of hilarity,” Xeno promised. “I recommend you other boys take very judicious sips if you want to come along for the journey.”

Fred leaned around the doorframe into the other room where the tour of Paris was still in full swing. “I believe our services are no longer required, George. Our investors seemed to have returned to their native language.”

“Cheerio, then,” George toasted him with the merest sip as Fred happily accepted a tiny glass of his own.

“Where was I?” Xeno posed as he waited for Ron to make the first move.

“You were telling us about the farmstead where you grew up,” Bill supplied avidly.

“Not much of a farm, mind you. Mostly sheep and a few goats. No crops to speak of in that harsh climate. Nothing but the thick stone walls of the one room house to protect us from the icy gales. For years I was convinced we had a regular banshee living in the small crawl space between the rafters and the thatch, although my sainted mother kept telling me I was too fanciful in the head.” Xeno slipped effortlessly into his native burr as he warmed up to the tale.

“ ‘An’ ya think a banshee’d leave the marshy bogs o’ the mainland ta visit this barren rock?’ Mum posed with a wry twinkle in her eye.

“Convinced of what I’d heard in the night, I countered fearlessly, ‘Perhaps it’s on holiday.’

“ ‘Then i’d be lookin’ fer its own kind in the graveyard,’ Mum maintained.

“ ‘A busman’s holiday o’ sorts,’ I stubbornly argued. ‘Does ‘is duty to the souls o’ the departed and then comes for a bit o’ sightseein’ on the bluffs.’

“ ‘And this is supposta explain why ya never hear the bleedin’ things in the summer?’

“ ‘Can’t say I’ve studied their migratory habits an’ all.’

“I left her hanging up the laundry to flap in the blustery weather, the wind carrying her parting words to my young ears, ‘Banshee colony in Capistrano will be next, ya mark my words.’

“But as I stood on the rock outcropping that made me feel like I was at the very brink of civilization, I heard the mournful wailing song once again. Perhaps the banshees were off exploring the sea caves below. They’d certainly have them to themselves in this choppy sea. I remember thinking it would be suicide to launch a boat from the squalid little beach and there was no trail down the sheer rock face.”

“Forgive me for interrupting,” Charlie commented. “But having worked with magical creatures all my life, wouldn’t a banshee have caused your livestock to run away?”

“Does it work that way with dragons?” Bill inquired.

“Surprisingly skittish those animals can be,” Charlie attested. “You’d almost think they were superstitious in their own little minds the way they can get spooked.”

“And what would possibly spook a ten ton dragon?” Xeno inquired with sparking interest.

“The howling of wolves among the foothills,” Charlie explained. “It’s rather unsettling when the mist blocks your visibility.”

“Is it a full moon?” Ron pressed in a bare whisper.

“Not usually,” Charlie answered. “Mist is more likely to form on cloudy nights anyway.”

“But a dragon could easily fry any predator that came within twenty yards of it,” Fred protested. “Take to the air even.”

“Incinerate it from aloft,” George agreed.

“Well, I can’t say I speak for dragons,” Xeno took over, “but my mother made a similar point about the sheep on a regular basis.

“ ‘Don’ ya think the sheep ‘uld run rough shod over anythin’ in their path ta get away from such a harbinger o’ death? Make no mistake about it, laddie, a banshee’s no harmless apparition set on befriendin’ ya.’

“ ‘Where are the sheep ta go, Mum?’ I reminded her with a roll of my eyes. ‘They’s not likely ta take ta the deck o’ one o’ the tugboats churnin’ over from the mainland.’

“That image always made her look up from her chores and laugh outright.

“ ‘An’ they’d freeze their wooly hides if they’d tried ta make a swim for it,’ I extrapolated with the full gravitas of my nine years. ‘A’ least give the stupid beasts credit fer knowin’ tha’.’

“That always set us off in peals of laughter as we visualized the sodden sheep crawling on the pebbly beaches of the mainland with woolen igloos on their backs.”

“Might have started a controversy among naturalists who insisted it was a rare form of prehistoric tortoise,” Charlie supplied amid much merriment.

“Aye,” Xeno agreed. “Might o’ made a name fer meself if I’d thought it through properly at that! But by the time I was old enough to begin my magical training, I’d already concluded the vacationing banshees were nothing more than the north wind howling through the joints in our cottage. A few days worth of re-plastering and our rooms were much warmer and blessedly quiet.”

“So where was this, Xeno?” Ron urged merrily, allowing his blurry vision to stray from the chess pieces who seemed to be dancing the conga in another dimension. Blimey, he’d only captured a few of Xeno’s pawns, a rook and a knight. Best to play a conservative game, he reminded himself.

“The Outer Hebrides,” Xeno supplied. “Two glorious seasons: winter and a hiccup of summer.”

“Now that would make a great slogan on a T-shirt,” George acknowledged.

“Not much call for tourism on that particular rock,” Xeno commented. “But if ya can convince the sheep to wear ‘em, I believe I might just agree to take a commission on that one!”






“So you were able to catch the entire dedication ceremony?” Percy asked Harry as he accepted another mug of flaming punch from Luna.

“Bird’s eye view,” Harry attested. “Didn’t have to deal with the crowds, either.”

“See, that’s true celebrity,” Luna confirmed softly. “You don’t even have to show your face and they come anyway, hoping to get a glimpse.”

Harry colored slightly at those plaudits. It really had been in large part to the false expectations fostered to entrap Umbridge.

He was saved from having to mutter some feeble response by Ginny leaning over his shoulder. “See if you can sneak out onto the back porch, I have something to show you…” She left the tantalizing warmth of her breath on his earlobe as she melted away into the escalating festivity.

“….not quite finished with the section featuring your contributions,” Luna was saying to Percy as Harry returned his attention to the immediate conversation. “Did you not feel the display was lacking somewhat?”

Percy laughed openly. “Was that a zing, Luna? I know I didn’t really accomplish as much as the rest of you, but it certainly wasn’t for lack of trying.”

“No, silly,” Luna giggled. “I didn’t mean it that way at all. I wanted to contrast you as the Order’s mole within the Ministry with Voldemort’s mole.”

“And for that you need to be able to tell the truth about Umbridge without fear of being accused of libel.” Percy nodded sagely.

“Mrs. Figg was ever so helpful in obtaining some background information about Umbridge’s school days to round out the data, but I still can’t get it to work. She seems totally irrelevant…”

Certain that they would not miss his input, Harry worked his way towards the door leading into the kitchen. Xeno was setting up Bill and Charlie for the next round of chess. Ron looked a little dazed as he sat slumped in a nearby chair with a faraway expression in his eyes.

“How did it go, Ron? Did you win?” Harry asked.

Ron took a few extra seconds to refocus on Harry’s face. “Stalemate,” he returned with a goofy grin. “Turns out my king was in exile while the government was being run by a viceroy.”

Playing along, Harry supplied, “And no one noticed?”

“Used Polyjuice Potion. Only noticed after it began to wear off as we neared the end of the hour.”

Harry was about to remark how wizard’s chess had gotten a lot more realistic since he’d played it at school when Xeno straddled the adjacent chair rather sloppily and confided, “You think you had problems? My king was a cross-dresser!”

“So it wasn’t just my imagination that your queen was stepping out on him?” Ron chuckled with relief.

“The captain of the guard was her lover,” Xeno contributed. “Why do you think I sacrificed my knights so early?”

Before he had time to phrase a compliment to the twin’s newest editions, Harry noticed the half empty bottle on the table. Absinthe. Needing no further explanations, he casually deposited his empty punch mug in the sink as he made his way towards the back door. In the background, he could hear Bill commenting in an overly awed voice that his pieces all looked like goblins and giants.

Barely giving him time to shrug into his heavy parka, Ginny grabbed his glove in hers and took off at a trot across the yard. Harry struggled to keep up as his breath came out in huge white puffs. The snow was awash in dazzling white from the three quarter moon as they moved as muted shadows into the overgrown orchard.

Ginny held her finger to her lips as she slowed her pace to follow the barely visible path winding up a slight incline. Had the trees been in full leaf, they would have been out of view by now, Harry noted.

“Mum would kill me if I’d done anything to the cherry and apple trees she’s been nurturing since we finished school,” Ginny confided. “But she really couldn’t complain about the ones that haven’t recovered.”

“I thought she’d asked the twins to chop those down for firewood?”

“They managed to put it off until the snows set in for yet another year.” Ginny smiled into his eyes and spun around to indicate their surroundings.

“How?” was all Harry could manage in awe as he was embraced by sparkling diamonds hanging from every tree limb. The crystal chandeliers in Remus’ newly acquired Versailles Palace were but a pale imitation in the face of Mother Nature. The softest rustle of wind caused the icicles to shimmer and dance across Ginny’s face as he drew her close. It was many heartbeats later when they broke apart, the warmth of their entwined bodies keeping the bitter cold at bay.

“Did this form naturally?” Harry asked reverently.

“With a little help from an Aguamenti Charm,” Ginny confessed. “I snuck out a few hours ago.”

So that’s how she had kept it in an unspoiled state, Harry marveled inwardly. “No chance of using a warming charm then?”

“Not unless you want the crystal cathedral to melt,” she confessed as she held him tighter.








They returned flushed and breathing heavily to the back door, the light of the diamond chandeliers still dancing in their eyes. Ginny tried to smooth down her hair as much as possible as they let themselves inside.

They needn’t have bothered with any precautions as it was doubtful anyone had noticed their absence. The chess game between Bill and Charlie had dissolved into chaos as everyone was clutching their sides in laughter. Intrigued by the glistening puddles dotting the table and the slightly smoking chessboard, they drew up for a closer look.

“Who won?” Ginny asked only to set off a fresh wave of laughter.

“Who cares?” George replied as he wiped a tear of mirth from his eye.

“Never seen anything like it!” Fred wheezed.

“And the look on Bill’s face when one of Charlie’s pawns took out his entire front line!” Xeno roared.

“That’s not strictly supposed to happen!” Charlie laughed.

“How was I supposed to know that a lowly fire-lizard could ignite the dishtowels on all my house-elves at once?” Bill countered. “And here I was concentrating on his long row of pacing dragons!”

“Let that be a lesson to you,” Luna commented as she drifted in from the living room. “Never underestimate the importance of your pawns. Professor Flitwick claims that’s the first sign of an amateur.”

“Not that Flitwick has ever visited the astral plane,” Neville intoned with a knowing smirk.

“Take at least two bottles,” Ron mumbled happily from where he was slouched over the table. “Or so I’ve heard.”

Fred and George allowed Xeno to pour the last remaining drops into their tumblers, but declined to play the next round.

“Something tells me my pawns would try to usurp the authority of the crown,” Fred offered as an excuse.

Much to Harry’s surprise, Xeno agreed, “Civil war is an indication you have reached your limit. Another time then.”

George barely had time to nod in agreement before they were interrupted by an altercation in the next room.

“Fred, George, I know the two of you are behind this,” Arthur maintained from the doorway, failing to hide the twitch of a smile.

“Wait ‘til I get my hands on those two!” Remus bellowed from the next room.

Everyone jostled for position as the twins marched proudly towards their tribunal.

“Did you have a question about our financial dealings?” Fred posed with as much solemnity as he could manage with unsteady knees.

“What iz ze meaning of zis?” Fleur demanded as she pointed to the contract Phoebe was claiming belonged to her and Yvette.

“I believe it’s a contract for deed,” George explained with a quick glance at the parchment. “Duly witnessed by the two of us. Is something amiss?”

“It means the girls, Yvette and Phoebe, can only sell to one another…” Remus began.

“”and in the case that one goes bankrupt, the other automatically enacts her lien to take over all properties free and clear,” Fred finished for him.

“Zere is nothing about zis in ze rules!” Fleur argued.

“Nothing to forbid it, either,” George argued. “Any financier would have advised similar safeguards when surrounded by hungry land sharks like the rest of you.”

“Besides, is the game not called ‘Monopoly’?” Fred proclaimed as he held up the box lid.

“I believe they have you in a quandary, Remus,” Hermione remarked as she barely managed to suppress her laughter.

“They just found a more underhanded way to combat that long row of luxury condominiums Fleur erected along the Voie Georges Pompidou,” Tonks interjected.

“You should have rented out the Hall of Mirrors, Dad,” Teddy suggested. “Victoire gave you good advice.”

“Too costly,” Remus shot back stubbornly.

“So grease ze palm of ze inspector,” Fleur urged. “Zat always works for me.”

“Does this mean we win, Uncle George?” Phoebe beseeched.

“Very likely,” Remus agreed. “We’ll need a full accounting, however.”

With a firm nod of approval from Fleur, he whipped out his fountain pen and summoned the box lid with his other hand. To the rules which were still printed in English, Remus amended: Any type of private contracts between players are prohibited unless said players are part of a team which has been established by all prior to the start of the game.

“The game’s not over yet,” Percy announced as he worked his way nearer the low table. “I represent a cartel of foreign investors--”

“What type of investors?” Teddy demanded with renewed interest.

“From the Far East,” Ginny supplied as she and Harry both made formal bows from the waist. “We wish to infuse your city with capital from Asian markets.”
Fifteen: In With the New by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Fifteen
In with the New




The halls echoed with longing as she made the long traverse towards her office. The students would return from their Yuletide break soon, drifting in like a rising tide until all of Hogwarts was engulfed in their presence for the fledgling year.

In the meanwhile, Tonks could hear the ringing laughter rising from the stairwell as Remus tried to teach the children how to turn the long gabled passageway into a Muggle bowling alley, the absurdity of the notion originating with Dumbledore’s ironic assertion on his Chocolate Frog card. It was amazing that a few months shy of his sixth birthday, Teddy was already learning to read written words on his own, so eager to match his father’s reverence for books. How he hungered for the trivial facts that accompanied his vibrant picture books. The more arcane, the better; somehow Teddy always found a way to integrate the new knowledge into his life.

Which is where he had taken a notion to learn ten-pin bowling. Being nothing but an ebullient child at heart himself, Remus promised he knew the perfect spot. What did it matter that snow had drifted past the open archways? A simple spell Vanished it just as easily as the summer sun; a warming charm on the worn stones kept any more from accumulating. Originally designed to sluice excess rainwater, the ancient channels lining both sides of the hallway were ideally suited to capture errant gutter balls.

Amid an intermittent curtain of half-hearted snow, Hagrid had distinguished the sounds of life returning to the somnolent castle. The sconces in the long corridor created a welcoming row of orange marzipans to lure him and Fang from their sleepy cottage. His booming voice was easy to distinguish from the children’s and even Remus’ more mellow tones. Fang’s barking had died down to an occasional yelp when he got too close to the bowling ball. Not that he hadn’t quickly learned to seek sanctuary on one of the broad stone stairways that funneled into the colonnade. A perfect perch from which to enjoy the antics of his humans without becoming an unwitting target.

Other than the Headmistresses who were bogged down by the inescapable tower of paperwork that accompanied the start of a new term, there was not much activity in the castle today. The better to reorganize her office while she had ample time to enjoy the task instead of just rushing through it, Tonks concluded. The new photos were sure to spark conversation among her students, but she certainly had no qualms about discussing her children. Most of them knew Phoebe and Teddy by name as they were often about during school hours in the care of one or another faculty member. Some students even included the children in their activities so it was not unusual for Teddy to be found in the midst of Muggleborns reviving a bit of football or cricket in an unused courtyard or Phoebe fashioning daisy chains in the meadow with a gaggle of first years.

With that in mind, Tonks contemplated just what she would say to students who inquired about how resplendent Phoebe looked in the lilac gown from Harry’s wedding. Flanked on either side by Hermione and Luna dressed in the dusty violet shades of the encroaching dusk, she was captured smiling at each of them in turn as they sought to entertain her. Waiting for Fleur and Molly to put the final touches on Ginny’s hair and gown had made them all impatient; but Hermione did her best to hide her furtive looks from Phoebe who was enthralled by the story Luna was weaving for her, the excitement of the wedding all but forgotten momentarily.

“Tell me a story about two princesses,” Phoebe had demanded in deference to their clothing for the day. She’d long ago become bored with the ramblings of Beetle the Bard.

“How about the one about the two roses growing side by side along the fence line?” Hermione posed tentatively.

Phoebe gave her a doubtful look. “Roses, like in the garden?” she questioned with more than a hint of displeasure.

“It’s an allegory,” Hermione corrected her, knowing the term would surely not register in the child’s mind. But she’d never seen Remus talk down to his children in any way, and if they could cope with his elegant wording, she was not about to insult them. “One princess was fair of hair, like Luna here, and the other had dark hair. Thus the white rose and the red rose…”

Phoebe had listened to the story, captivated as she fingered the end of Hermione’s brown ringlet ever so carefully as to not mar its beauty. But all too soon, the story ended and Hermione was looking helplessly for assistance from Luna.

“Much to my surprise,” Luna began serenely, addressing her words more to Hermione than to Phoebe, “my mother had an ancient tome of Muggle fairy tales in her extensive library. Mother was so outwardly disorganized it was not unusual to find treasures tucked away in the most unlikely places. Father always saw it as an endearing quality, claiming that a woman whose analytical mind was always categorizing so much knowledge couldn’t spare a moment for the mundane chores in life. He was always straightening up in her wake, gasping with delight when he came across an unexpected surprise amid the chaos.

“Mother was quite startled when she found me trying to sound out the words in the first story, a rather realistic detailing of Little Red Riding Hood. She gently removed the book from my fingers and reminded me that some books were meant for sharing, for reading aloud to one another. So she cuddled next to me on the window seat and proceeded to read the tale to me in her own words. She explained that this was a very old book, maybe even one of the first editions, written in a time when fairy tales were considered to be cautionary stories for the local peasants. Some of the animals like the ferocious wolves had indeed existed in the nearby forests. Although they were unlikely to speak in a language people could understand, they were greatly intelligent beasts that could easily outsmart the unwary. So the story portrayed that in words and dialogue to make it easier for simple folk to understand.”

“That’s an allegory,” Hermione repeated gently, watching Phoebe turn the new word over in her mind as she mouthed it.

“Like a lesson from your Mum so you won’t get hurt?” Phoebe ventured.

“Precisely,” Hermione praised her. “Your father would be very pleased you caught on so easily.”

“Is there more to the story?” Phoebe beseeched Luna directly while cuddling the familiar stuffed rabbit in her lap.

“It became a welcome ritual every other afternoon,” Luna continued in a nostalgic fashion. “We would sit in the window seat, with warm cocoa if it was cold beyond the windowpanes, and she would retell me the stories in the book. Always the tales were embellished in her own words, using the printed version as a guide to remind her of the plot. When I learned to read enough to notice this, she reminded me that the tales had been penned by the Brothers Grimm.

“ ‘Were they named after the fearsome black dog?’ I ventured timidly.

“ ‘Quite the opposite,’ Mother replied. ‘The omen of death, the Grim, derives his name from these very tales. So full of dark tidings some of these warnings were.’

“I gulped noticeably, my eyes wide with fear.” Luna demonstrated only to elicit giggles from Phoebe.

“The word ‘grim’ also derives from those imaginative brothers,” Hermione supplied.

“What does it mean?” Phoebe posed. “Grim?”

“Dark and foreboding like a rainstorm you know is coming,” Hermione provided.

“Serious and unsmiling,” Luna added. “Just like the poor existence people lived in those times. Thatched roofs and dirt floors didn’t do much to keep out the winter’s chill. Not even the beds were warm, the mattresses stuffed with scratchy goose feathers that often poked through the covering.”

“Did your mother share all of the tales with you, Luna?” Hermione asked as she got swept into the story as well.

“Every last one,” Luna attested. “Although I suspect she paraphrased quite a bit. Adding euphemisms beyond just the standard ‘and they lived happily ever after.’”

Considering how many marriages fell apart due to divorce or infidelity, it was an utterly simplistic ending. Not that Hermione was about to share that thought with a three year old. “Such as?” she prodded Luna.

Choosing her words carefully, Luna extrapolated, “Well, if there was a lot of… devastation… she would just say: ‘and everyone saw thestrals.’”

“Everyone saw thestrals,” Hermione echoed. “What lovely phrasing, so simple and yet so eloquent.”

“That was Mother, without a doubt,” Luna admitted. “It became one of my favorite sayings and, of course, thestrals became one of my favorite animals. Father finally had to draw one for me from memory as no picture book showed them. They consider them too grim.”

Having heard from Harry how Luna’s mother had died of a spell gone awry, Hermione was not sure she should urge Luna to continue.

“Ironic, isn’t it?” Luna offered in a dreamy tone that couldn’t possibly alarm Phoebe. “For years, I was the only one in my year at school who could see them.”

Phoebe’s eyes danced happily as she tried to imitate the fluttering fingers which had accompanied Luna’s words. “What’s a testral?” she posed innocently.

“Thestral,” Hermione corrected gently, hoping to give herself time to think. How stupid of her to not have anticipated such a question.

Unfazed, Luna replied honestly, “It’s rather like a winged horse, actually. But very skinny. If it turned sideways, it could slip through the cracks in your windows and doors.”

“As black as the night,” Hermione added. “But very shiny so they stand out in the moonlight.”

“But sad, too?” Phoebe inquired with unfailing intuitiveness.

“Yes, sweetheart, they transport our spirits into the heavens when we can no longer live among our fellows,” Luna allowed.

Phoebe’s eyes lit up with understanding. “Like a dark angel?”

Hermione sighed with relief that Phoebe’s curiosity overcame her childhood phobias. Obviously influenced by both her parents. “Yes, Phoebe, exactly like a dark angel.”

Tonks had been floored later as Phoebe confided she knew a number of dark angels. Shaken to the very core, Tonks returned as evenly as possible, “The four footed kind? Or should I say four hoofed?”

Phoebe shook her head vigorously. “People.”

“Which people?”

“The men who danced at Harry’s wedding,” Phoebe presented with unfailing logic.

Tonks laughed with obvious relief. “Only because formal wear for men practically dictates they wear black.”

“Not just that,” Phoebe insisted. “Freddy moves like an angel.”

“Of course he does, dear. Freddy dances with the ballet. Remember when we went to London, just us girls, to see him perform. It’s his job to move gracefully.”

“Not just him. The other.”

“Can you give me a name? Harry, Ron, Bill?” Merlin, every single man except Mad-Eye had been dressed in black that night and that was only because Moody had worn a formal kilt and evening jacket instead.

Phoebe scrunched up her face in concentration. “The teacher. Always wears black in the halls.”

“Do you mean Professor Snape?” Tonks felt as if she was grabbing at straws. “Always looks like he smells something foul?”

Phoebe giggled. “Grim,” she supplied with aplomb. “Smiles when he dances.”

“He does indeed. Professor Snape is a very accomplished dancer. You remember how everyone wanted to have a dance after he displayed his skill.”

Phoebe smiled gaily at the memory. “You danced with the Dark Angel.”

“Yes, I did. I danced with both of them,” Tonks affirmed with fond recollection.

She couldn’t help recalling how Freddy, too, had watched Severus parlay his skill on the dance floor.

“Don’t even think it,” she’d hissed in his ear. “Not even if everyone else is too intoxicated to notice.”

“Afraid of a little scandal?” Freddy teased back. “What’s a party without a few raised eyebrows?”

“Save those for the women’s necklines,” she’d warned. “That man will hex your eyebrows off and permanently relocate them to parts of your body where they will chafe incessantly!”

“Now you’re just trying to get me interested,” Freddy drawled dangerously as he allowed his chocolate eyes to rake ardently over Snape’s physique.

“I’ll hex you first,” she promised, allowing him to see that her dress had a long pocket for her wand along the seam. “Care to pit your jetés against my wand arm?”

Freddy had finally desisted, only to be totally caught off guard when it became clear the Snapes had indeed noticed his overt attention.

“Would you care for the next dance?” Rolanda offered huskily as Tonks made the necessary introductions. “The ballet? Really? If only I could get Severus to attend. He much prefers the opera…”

Tonks schooled her face into impassiveness as Freddy flashed her a private look over Rolanda’s shoulder.

“You danced rather well with him yourself,” Severus oozed suggestively into Tonks’ ear. “I’m surprised Lupin isn’t jealous of his skill.”

She barely suppressed the urge to retort that Remus’ skills lay in other areas, but reminded herself to not lose the round by letting Snape get under her skin. Instead, she responded with cool daring, “Care to see if you can measure up?”

With a flash in his obsidian eyes, Snape had bowed formally over her hand as he led her out onto the dance floor.

On this snowy January day, she suspected Snape was holed up in his favorite dungeon grading the last of the exams from the fall term, his lips pursed in dour disappointment. The pleasure would be all his when he trounced returning students with the dismal results on their first day back. How Snape thought such a demoralizing speech was motivating to his students, she would never know. Suffice it to say, he had been much the same when she had been a student, even though he had looked youthful enough to give rise to more than a few errant daydreams among the older female students. If only they had known of his self-imposed mourning for the tragic death of his young wife, she mused. Would Severus have set them detentions for their inappropriate sympathies? Not unless he wanted to give them the perfect opportunity to spend time alone with him, she smiled at the unexpected irony. More likely, the Hospital Wing would have been inundated with hexes to be reversed while the victims claimed emphatically they had been jinxed from behind and did not know the identity of their assailant.

Years later, only a handful of teachers knew the full truth; Snape had never been one to socialize readily among his peers. Although Rolanda served as a humanizing presence in his life, Tonks suspected he would have preferred to keep his second marriage just as much a secret from the staff as the students “ were it not for the impossibility amid such close proximity. Only with Dumbledore had he ever discussed subjects beyond his teaching duties, yet those had been of concerns such as Order business or the threat of Voldemort’s return, hardly the stuff of friendship.

To this day, Snape maintained a spartan office with few knickknacks to spark any conversation with students who might be brave enough to enter of their own accord. Not that his baleful glare wasn’t off-putting enough. As an adult, only her own stubbornness to no longer succumb to his studied theatrics had allowed her to stand up to him, earning her a bit of disdainful respect that allowed her to seek out him out on occasion. Even then, it was only for assistance with potions or some other academic subject, never for just a chat.

Remus’ tolerant nature had somehow worn down Snape’s resistance as they had grudgingly formed an uneasy truce in the days after Voldemort’s demise. She could only speculate that at some point they had each sought out an intellectual equal and found that, without Dumbledore, they would have to make do with one another.

Yet somehow, Remus had gotten through that somber façade, reviving the rivalry they had never truly outgrown from their school days. Only the verbal threat of hexes were thrown out these days, their barbed words serving as a game of poisoned darts which seemed to satisfy them both. Not that Minerva hadn’t warned them that such sparring was likely to be seen as uncivilized arguments in students’ eyes. But behind her glasses, her eyes had twinkled indulgently as she warned them to keep their debates private.








Tonks stared at the iridescent raven’s feather in her hand. The frisson of magic within was unmistakable, but she could discern no harmful hexes or jinxes involved. She had no idea of its origins; when she walked into her office that January morning, there it was in the center of her empty desk, practically winking at her.

At lunch, Remus confessed he, too, had been accorded a feather.

Minerva leaned in with an enigmatic smile. “I see you received an invitation to the next post-Quidditch party. It’s being hosted by Slytherin House.”

“Should I get my sheets laundered?” Tonks quipped in deference to the Roman theme Horace Slughorn had honed to perfection in prior years.

Minerva shook her head. “I think not.”

Filius Flitwick wormed his way into the conversation at this point. “Word was the Slytherin Prefects had the presence of mind to actually dye the toga fabric in deepest black before presenting it to Severus. No charm to change its color; it had to be indelible.”

“Hopefully, Severus awarded them House points for studied self-preservation,” Remus noted dryly.

“The way I heard it,” Professor Sinistra interjected, “Severus threw his head back and laughed in their faces.”

“That would have scared them more than anything else he could have done!” Tonks giggled.

Pomona Sprout took up the tale. “ ‘Not this time,’ he’d said. ‘I have something else in mind.’”

“So you think it’s harmless?” Reggie Smithwick posed, closing the thick tome of ancient runes he’d been studying.

“Blimey! I hope not,” Filius exclaimed as he brandished a feather of his own. “We could use a memorable event. Barely two weeks into the new term and the winter blues have already set in!”






Over and under they had flown like multihued beetles, the intensity of their House colors contrasting sharply against the austere frozen landscape. The wind howled over the spectators in the stands, whipping scarves into dancing pennants in support of their teams. Excitement was high as two well-matched teams fought for dominance.

Without warning, the wind died down after the first hour of play. Accusatory heads turned in Snape’s direction as his team was fifty points behind and desperately needed to capture the Snitch. His gaze was as inscrutable as ever as he sat straight and immobile, cocooned in black amid the riotous sea of color. Only the quick movements of his eyes belied the fact that he was not drowning in boredom.

A triumphant whoop from the Ravenclaw Seeker announced to the ants in the bleachers below that he had captured the Golden Snitch. With perfect control, he swooped down towards the middle of the pitch, holding his price aloft. His victory circuit around the cheering stands was eclipsed by a sudden shower of multicolored feathers exploding like fireworks from the very hands of the losing team. With curious precision, red rooster feathers rained upon Gryffindor House, royal blue jay feathers on Ravenclaw, and most glorious of all, golden pheasant quills upon the Hufflepuffs.

Anticipation for the evening’s event grew to a fever pitch as wild speculations were traded back and forth. The Slytherins remained stoically silent, small curlicues of smiles decorating otherwise impassive faces. As Head of Ravenclaw, tiny Professor Flitwick could be seen rounding up the members of his house and reminding them that a victory celebration was to be held in their common room until tea time. Rubbing his hands with glee, he reminded them that he, too, had received a feather for tonight’s gala.

At eight o’clock sharp, the Slytherin Prefects arrived outside each common room to retrieve their guests. Taking a different route through the castle, each lead their contingent in a solitary procession through a maze of dimly lit dungeon corridors until they arrived at various unmarked doors. Making up the rear of Gryffindor House, Remus was entranced by the theatricality of it all. Someone would definitely need to extend an emeritus invitation to Horace for the next event.

Catching her husband’s eye, Tonks extricated herself from where she was keeping Pomona company at the end of the Hufflepuff queue, allowing Enzo to take over as escort.

“What’s the consensus?” she breathed in Remus’ ear, the sparkly gel in her hair catching and reflecting the candlelight.

“That the Headmistress wouldn’t allow them to consign us all to Purgatory,” he returned sarcastically.

“Is that all?” She screwed up her face to show she had found his response particularly childish.

“You’re as bad as Teddy and Phoebe,” he chided her. “Can’t you wait and see how we’ll be surprised?”

“I overheard one of the students saying that the Chamber of Secrets is around here somewhere.”

“I heard that rumor also,” Remus dismissed. “Also about the great feathered basilisk that’s been tamed into submission with a giant blindfold.”

Tonks nodded eagerly as she licked her lips in delight.

“You’re all going to get yourselves so wound up that reality is going to come as a disappointment. I prefer to think of a blank slate “ black, of course “ and wait to be dazzled.”

The students were being admitted in small groups of three or four into what appeared to be an undecorated antechamber. To maintain the suspense, the door leading to the party itself was not visible or was very cleverly closed before the entrance of the next group.

After what seemed like hours, Remus and Tonks were allowed to join the last of the Gryffindors to complete a group of five. Once inside the anteroom, the small door leading to the corridor slammed shut with finality. As their eyes became accustomed to the gloom, it was clear they were in a storeroom with discarded boxes and jars of all sizes stacked haphazardly against the walls. A large wooden crate, not unlike a Vanishing Cabinet, leaned precariously in one shadowy corner. Its interior displayed the bones of the last hapless fellow who sought its secrets.

Down a dark winding stair they were led “ well, actually prodded “ by the silent Slytherin guard holding a golden staff. Shuffling like prisoners in chains, they made their way forward until they reached an oasis of sorts at the foot of the stairs. In an amber pool of light sat a silent Grim, wordlessly placing each feather onto an oversized brass scale. As a counterweight, his winsome assistant used an oddly glowing stone, deep emerald at its core. If the feather was lighter than the stone, the guest was shown to the gilded door on the right. Inexplicably, some feathers seemed to be heavier than the rock which represented Salazar Slytherin’s heart, he heard on whispers of exotic wind. Those whose feathers sank were grabbed from behind and dragged off down a side passageway to the sounds of eerie chanting from the shadows themselves.

Remus suspected the area must be riddled with passageways and those who ‘failed’ the first test were simply being channeled into a separate entrance “ but the effect was quite harrowing in its own right.

“Have you ever had occasion to examine the Book of the Dead in the Antiquities Room of the British Museum?” Remus whispered after setting a wordless Muffliato Charm. As Tonks’ eyes grew wide in wonderment, he added, “That tableau before us is ‘the Weighing of the Heart.’ Those with heavy troubles are culled out.”

“Then they must likely face the riddle of the Sphinx in the next chamber,” she surmised. “I take it that’s not the Grim…”

“Anubis,” Remus clarified.

Much to his relief, Remus’ feather rose higher than the serpent’s heart which Slytherin’s handmaiden was petting in the most unsettling fashion. Tonks’ rose even higher and the emerald heart sank to the very bottom with a metallic clang. With a brief flash of magic, the feather was transformed into a gold serpent cuff. Tonks grabbed Remus’ arm anxiously as its metallic body wound itself around her forearm of its own accord. Although he had not witnessed it, Remus knew she was remembering Harry’s final confrontation with Voldemort’s treacherous serpent ring.

They emerged into a violet dusk in a land of undulating sand dunes, strange constellations remaking themselves periodically in the domed sky above. The brownish walls to either side of them ended in gigantic carved claws anchored to the misty floor. Craning his neck, Remus recognized they had emerged from between the front legs of the mighty Sphinx. Despite the solid wall he knew to be behind him, a trick of wizard’s space made it appear as if the landscape continued to the lion’s tail and beyond.

Bluebell frames in tall brass torchieres emitted light without heat as their otherworldly host rose regally from his golden throne at the far end of the cavernous room. A wide pectoral encrusted with green stones to denote resurrection was draped across his shoulders as it anchored shifting folds so black they seemed to absorb the surrounding light. Pointing a short scepter to his throat, the voice of Osiris rang out to the assemblage.

“Welcome to Abydos!” Snape intoned deeply. “Let the souls of the just be rewarded in the afterlife!”








Percy didn’t know how he’d managed it. Somehow it had turned out to be as effortless as talking to Ginny or Harry or even Remus. Just a few words around the water cooler about the antics of his family at Christmas and how he’d been called upon to do a lame impersonation of a Tokyo investor and Penelope was laughing like old times.

“Oh, Percy,” she finally managed. “Those stories make me feel like I’m a carefree girl again, back at school with no responsibilities weighing down on me. It almost seems a shame to go back to my dreary desk.”

He encountered her in the Atrium returning from lunch later and the conversation had taken off of its own volition. Before he had time to stop himself, he was inviting her to dinner at Ginny’s.

“It’s the first time she’s had guests over since she got married, so don’t be too hard on her,” he joked.

“But you said Professor Lupin, I mean Remus, would be there as well?” she inquired.

“Yes, he shares the house with Harry.”

“Harry Potter?” She’d been incredulous. “Why he’s practically a household name!”

“I’m not certain he’d relish that description in general, but there’s no denying it’s true in my family. Harry’s my brother-in-law. Married my sister, Ginny, just a few months ago. After a scandalously long engagement, I might add.”

“But Remus can’t be an in-law; you have nothing but brothers left,” she considered with an impish giggle.

Percy grinned at her predicament. “For lack of a better description, think of Remus as Harry’s godfather once removed -- although they have a unique dynamic of their own. James' and Lily's will left the estate to both of them. Remus has always been like family to us Weasleys, so it’s not as awkward a situation as you might think.”

“I can’t say I knew Harry much while we were at school,” Penny allowed. “He always seemed like he was somewhat lost on the sidelines. I suppose with his parents killed like that, he would have been looking for a family.”

“Then he’s more than made up for it. Remus’ small children live with them as well.”

“Remus got married? Not to someone from Ravenclaw?”

“A Hufflepuff, I believe.”

“Oh, there’s a whole contingent of girls from my House who are going to be sooo disappointed.”

“Even after all these years?” Percy was taken aback.

Penny lowered her lashes as she shrugged self-consciously. Then in the next heartbeat, she agreed to go.






Ginny was surprised to find Percy at her elbow when she excused herself to serve the dessert personally. Once beyond the kitchen door, she whispered, “We have it all planned out for after dinner. Harry will take the boys to play billiards upstairs, Tonks will divert Phoebe into her room for girl time and Remus promised me he had a stack of papers to mark in the library.”

“What about you?” Percy asked suspiciously.

“Did I not mention girl time with Tonks and Phoebe?” Noticing Percy was still shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot, she breathed, “Everything’s been going fine; no one’s been stuck for conversation. What’s got your knickers in a proverbial knot?”

Percy straightened himself into Head Boy posture. “For one thing, I wear boxers. Knickers are for girls, like you or Tonks…or Phoebe,” he finished lamely, not liking where the conversation was heading.

“Anyone else you left out?” Ginny posed with a wicked smirk.

“Mum’s not here,” Percy shot back as his face colored despite his best efforts. “Look, Sis, I’m nervous enough as it is and earlier in the week Penny told me there were a lot of girls in her year who rather idolized Remus. In his professorial robes, that is.”

Or out of them? Ginny considered, but saw no reason to embarrass Percy even more. She remembered such a possibility had been quite a shock to her when she’d artlessly arrived at the tail end of Remus’ seventh year class at Hogwarts.

Avoiding the knots of students still congregating in the middle of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, she had slipped into an empty seat near the perimeter. She always preferred a panoramic view as so much of the intriguing byplay between teacher and students was lost if she was having to face front or risk being accused of inattention. Naturally, the choicest seats were the first to be claimed; that’s why she had fairly trotted from her previous class “ even though it was just on the floor above.

Her attention was consumed with arranging her parchment, quills and making certain she had sufficient ink. Feeling the temperature in the room was a bit close, she shrugged out of her robes and draped them carefully over the back of her chair where they would not be trampled by inattentive clods.

By now, almost all the older students had drifted off to their next classes yet a small knot, all girls she noted, still hovered around Remus’ desk. With the room devoid of other noises, it was impossible not to overhear.

Remus smiled encouragingly at the circle of intent faces before him. “I’m sure all of you will do fine. Just remember to block out the extraneous noises as much as possible. Try to imagine you’re the only one in that cavernous hall and it’s much easier to relax.”

“But what about the extra questions they can throw at you during the practical?” the tall dark-haired one posed as she chewed her lip “ in a rather flirtatious manner, Ginny decided with a slight frown.

“Ah, yes,” Remus replied with that open earnestness of his. “It’s no secret those extra questions often mean the difference between a high E and an O.”

“But how can you prepare for something that may or may not come?” the light-haired girl on the end pressed.

Was he really that clueless? Ginny considered as her eyes were drawn magnetically to the tableau.

Remus leaned back in his chair a bit before responding, “Unfortunately, it’s somewhat like real life in that respect. You never know what obstacles are going to be thrown in your path and what obscure soupcon of knowledge is going to be required.”

“So you’re saying it’s impossible to prepare for the unexpected?” the first girl moaned.

“You’ve had seven years of preparation, Harriet,” the third girl interjected as she tried to draw her companions towards the door. She almost succeeded, too, but at the last minute Harriet whipped around with a hint of determination shining in her eyes.

Making the most of the few seconds in which Remus’ attention was diverted with reordering his desk, Harriet silently perched on the edge of the nearest chair, her features schooled into an overly innocent expression “ at least in Ginny’s estimation. When Remus remained oblivious, Harriet sighed ever so softly.

Remus looked up and immediately apologized for unwittingly ignoring her. “Was there anything else I could help you with?” Ginny could see his eyes dart towards the other two girls who were lingering with rather put upon expressions on their faces.

“If you’ll forgive me for being so bold.” Harriet began hesitantly. “Are you married, Professor?”

There was a fleeting moment of consternation in Remus’ face, but Ginny was certain Harriet had been too busy lowering her eyelashes coquettishly to notice.

“Need I remind you that the classroom is not the place for personal questions?” Remus returned evenly.

Undaunted, Harriet started to say, “But where--”

Despite his smile, Remus cut her off firmly, “Teachers do not make a habit of discussing such things with their students.”

Emboldened by Harriet’s actions, the blonde girl, Caroline, came to her defense. “Professor McGonagall has a photo of her sons and grandsons on her desk for everyone to see.”

“Professor McGonagall would deduct House points if she overheard this conversation,” the third, more sensible, girl asserted as she drew up. “And since she’s my Head of House, I would thank the two of you to stay off her radar.”

Remus pushed back from the desk as if to stand and then relented, “There are no photos on my desk or anywhere else in my office. Draw from that whatever inferences you will.” Catching Ginny’s eye, he didn’t give her a chance to be embarrassed about her blatant eavesdropping. “Ah, Miss Weasley, so glad you arrived a bit early today. I wanted to take a moment to go over your last assignment. If you’ll follow me into my office, please.”

With a polite nod in the direction of the trio of seventh years, Remus’ long legs took the short staircase two or three steps at a time. Studiously closing the door behind them, he practically collapsed in relief. Ginny giggled at the look of blind panic on Remus’ face as he leaned heavily against the door.

“I suppose I should offer you some House points for saving my last shred of dignity,” he breathed, only to make Ginny laugh outright.

“Except I’m already in violation of Mum’s strict laws about not letting on that you’re a friend of the family.”

“I don’t expect you to rat me out to Molly,” Remus warned with a grin.

“And catch myself in the net? Hardly!”

“They think they’re so worldly because they’re of age but they’re just overgrown children,” Remus acknowledged. “I finally understand how Rosmerta must have felt when Sirius tried to chat her up. He was so relentless, too; I’m surprised he didn’t get all the Marauders banned from the Three Broomsticks.”

“Sirius Black?” Ginny gasped. “The escaped mass murderer who everyone’s looking for?”

Remus nodded with a sad smile. “You forget we were all friends at school. Poor Peter Pettigrew and Harry’s parents, as well.”

Determined not to let him slip into a dark reverie, Ginny added in a teasing tone, “Really, Professor, you should be flattered by their attentions.”

Remus snorted derisively to her taunt. “What is it about a man’s privacy that so compels women to try to invade it?” he muttered more to himself than anything. “Despite being repelled by the truth.”

“Perhaps you should ask Professor Snape how he deals with similar situations?” Ginny suggested rakishly.

“I’m not that self-destructive,” Remus shot back. “Besides his situation is … dissimilar … to mine.”

“You think any students have ever been so bold?”

“Ill-advised, you mean,” he corrected with a mischievous smirk. “How else do you explain the gruesome specimens he keeps in those jars?”

Ginny burst out laughing at the image.

With a widening grin, Remus supplied, “And it’s a testament to the many years he’s been teaching here that he has walls upon walls of glass specimen jars!”

“And he thinks no one knows his secret, either!”

With a quick glance at his pocket watch, Remus nodded towards the door leading to the classroom. “Come. Why don’t you grab those third year parchment rolls on the back table?” He Levitated a similar stack before him with precision. “It’s next to impossible to direct them to their owners if they get mixed up with the second years’.”

“I remember a lot of Gryffindor girls mooning over Moony that year,” Percy admitted as he drew Gunny’s attention back to the present. “Terrible pun, isn’t it?”

“Really?” Ginny feigned innocence, not wanting to betray the confidence Remus had placed in her at such a young age.

“Don’t you recall the group who used to huddle in the far corner of the common room? As Head Boy, I had to break up their unrestrained giggling on more than one occasion.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “I’m sure they thought you were a terrible prig.”

Percy shrugged nonchalantly. “They were more devious than that, though. Claimed they were an official Dark Arts study group.”

“You mean like Dumbledore’s Army?” Ginny couldn’t believe she’d overlooked something as pivotal as that.

“No, precisely not like Dumbledore’s Army,” Percy clarified. “All sixth and seventh year girls and not a boy in the bunch.”

Ginny nodded knowingly. “Just the sort of hen party I would have avoided. Why did you make it your mission to make their lives miserable? Sorry they excluded you?”

“It was part of my official duties that year,” he returned with just a hint of the puffed up importance she remembered. “But they weren’t studying; they were just gossiping about ‘Professor Lupin.’ Feeding their adolescent fantasies.”

Ginny laughed at the picture. “Did it not occur to any of them that the surest way to get noticed by their dear professor was to excel academically in his class?”

Percy looked at her very directly. “None of them had the advantage of having gotten to know the man over holiday dinners like we had. Good thing they didn’t include you in their group or who knows what kind of mayhem your advice would have caused?”

“Remus would have hexed me into oblivion for one!” Ginny giggled girlishly. “Did you break it up?”

“I didn’t dare,” Percy acknowledged. “Although I was outraged enough, that’s for sure. But then when I thought things through, I decided I didn’t want to draw any unnecessary attention to Remus. He didn’t need anyone looking over his shoulder anymore than they already did.”

“McGonagall would have gone ballistic if she’d overheard,” Ginny supplied with a slight curl to her lip.

“No doubt about it,” Percy agreed with a grin. “I would have enjoyed that.”

Reading the last vestiges of worry in Percy’s eyes, Ginny was fairly certain she could put his mind at ease. “I once had occasion to witness some Ravenclaw girls from your year attempting to flirt with Remus. Penelope was not among them.”








“I took Sean to the War Museum,” Penny remarked, suddenly self-conscious now that they were alone in the spacious sitting room at Godric’s Hollow.

“Oh, Pen, was I too caught up in the fanfare of the dedication to notice?” Percy would berate himself later for the oversight.

She shook her head, studying her hands folded in her lap. “On a different day, when it wasn’t so crowded. When I could recount to Sean what I knew of these people who were being profiled as heroes.” She slowly raised her eyes to capture his, her expression so vulnerable yet unreadable at the same time. “I was surprised to find you mentioned.”

“I’m no hero, Penny,” he attested with all sincerity. “A blip on the Order’s radar at most.”

“Considering how uncertain things were at the Ministry for a time, being the Order’s mole couldn’t have been easy.”

“See that’s where you’re wrong. It was surprisingly easy for a tosser like me; estranged from my family, living a monastic existence in a squalid cold water flat, the perfect lackey to spout Ministry rhetoric as easily as breathing. I was so good at it, I almost managed to brainwash myself into believing it.”

“Yet there you were “ inexplicably.”

“Alastor Moody was just twisted enough to see the mess I had made of my life as being ideally suited to the Order’s purposes.”

“But all the other members of your family were involved in the fight…”

“Even assuming their membership in a secret organization was widely known, which it wasn’t, who was going to suspect the one son who was heartless enough to send back his mother’s Christmas jumper?”

“You didn’t!” Penelope giggled uncertainly.

“More for appearances sake at that point. But I’d burned my bridges pretty thoroughly by suggesting to family members that they temper their generosity with a more pragmatic approach to the political climate.”

Penny winced noticeably. “I see what you mean about being the Ministry’s mouthpiece.”

“Oh, no, I could be pompous all by myself,” he confirmed with a self-deprecating air. “And if anyone doubted my credentials as the family’s black sheep, the chilly reception I received during an impromptu Christmas visit spoke volumes. Not to mention the Minister was there to witness it firsthand.”

“Your family had the Minister for Magic over for Christmas dinner?” Penny gaped.

“Hardly,” Percy shot back. “They had better taste than that. He just wanted to use me as an excuse to share a few words with Harry. To try to convince the lad that the same Ministry which had been denouncing him as a raving lunatic for the past year was now his friend.”

“Harry doesn’t strike me as the type to be manipulated so easily.”

“No, Harry’s always been determined to stick to his guns “ even if it made him miserable in the process. That’s bravery. I just went with the flow.”

“Don’t try to package yourself as an opportunist, Percy,” she returned in that level-headed manner of hers. “You would have been sorted into Slytherin if your heart was as black as you say. Besides, your family seems to have taken you back.”

“Families are like that,” Percy replied. “Never willing to write you off.” He drained the last of his wine, suddenly feeling as if he were standing naked in an icy gale.

But somehow, Penny read the unspoken words between them. “I can’t say my life worked out the way I planned, either. It may have been portrayed as a fairy tale existence, but I pretty much blended into the background before Umbriel’s rabid fans. Too many lonely nights with only books to keep me company in foreign lands. Thank goodness, Sean came along to give me purpose.”

“Didn’t you make friends with any of the other Quidditch wives?” Percy ventured hesitantly.

“Not really. The closest would be Viktor Krum.”

Percy laughed sharply. “Somehow Krum doesn’t strike me as the girlfriend type.”

The unflinching gaze she trained on him brought him up short. “See, that’s where you’d be wrong.”

Surely the wine must be going to his head. “Come now, Penny; Krum’s been married three times now.”

“Why do you think his marriages don’t work out?”

“Because he’s a self-centered egotist like most sports celebrities! Trust me, my brother, Ron, works in the Magical Games Department; I’ve met enough to know the type.”

“I won’t deny he’s a bit self-centered,” Penny admitted with a wry chuckle. “But that’s mostly because he’s always brooding about how he’s made chop-suey out of his life. That’s one of his favorite expressions “ it’s particularly humorous in that Slavic accent of his.”

“But surely the media would have gotten word of this,” Percy offered as he floundered for the proper euphemism. “Lots of sports figures have come out.”

“Not Viktor. Not even after his venerable grandmother passed away, although he did stop agonizing about providing an heir then. He was so desperate to adopt at one point that we became friends. That’s how I met my husband actually; Viktor introduced us.”

Still at a loss for words, Percy blurted, “But my sister-in-law has corresponded with Krum since she was his date to the Yule Ball. Surely she would have mentioned….”

“Not if he asked her not to.”

Could Hermione have known all these years and yet said nothing? Let Ron get all flustered and jealous every time Krum’s name came up in conversation, even though he was never a true rival. The more he thought about it, the more Percy saw that it was just the thing Hermione would laugh about in private. And if Ron got all bent out of shape, he deserved it for having been such a clueless berk for so long. Percy felt his admiration for Hermione grow tenfold.

Unable to stop himself, he filled Penny in just so he could watch her dissolve into breathless laughter. Merlin, he’d practically forgotten how good it felt to make someone else laugh like that!

“I promise the secret’s safe with me,” Penny wheezed. “And Viktor’s so deeply into the closet, he’s in Narnia!”

Percy could not contain his laughter at her insouciance. “That’s one I hadn’t heard before!”

“I wasn’t certain you’d get the Muggle literary reference, even though there’s a witch in the story,” Penny confided. “It’s required reading at Durmstrang. Figures prominently in a course entitled: Debunking Muggle Christian Propaganda.”

In his own defense, Percy elaborated, “You forget that I was home-schooled before Hogwarts and, if anything, Mum insisted we have a strong literary background. Only the British classics, of course. She insisted Muggle writers would provide us with a window into their world that much more readily.”

He was surprised when she responded, “Molly never struck me as such a visionary. Is that where you got it?”

“I don’t know about that, I suspect she enjoyed reading aloud to us just as much as we enjoyed listening. It allowed her to delve into a world which has always fascinated my father as well.”

“What else did she read to you?”

“Well, she followed themes somewhat. With Bill, she started on Charles Dickens, although there was enough of his works to tide her through Charlie as well. With me, it was The Chronicles of Narnia, but she didn’t get very far into the series before the twins learning to walk turned the household upside down. Since the twins and Ron were so close together, she concentrated on Robert Louis Stevenson for them. Special emphasis on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, mind you.”

“You don’t think…?”

“Absolutely!” Percy affirmed. “Mum would have thought the irony of it to be particularly fitting. Ron, I remember, adored Kidnapped! Wanted to act out all the dialog in a Scots accent.”

“And Ginny?” Penny posed as she did some quick calculating on her fingers.

“Agatha Christie. Miss Marple at first since Ottery St. Catchpole had obviously been used as a template for the village of St. Mary Mead.”

“Such a charming rendition makes it difficult to believe you were ever on the outs with your family.”

“Politics can be a great divider,” Percy confirmed. “Not to mention my hard-headedness.”

“So what made you turn around?”

“A combination of things really,” he replied off-handedly, more certain than ever that some of the inner workings of the Order should remain confidential. If Luna had chosen to gloss over them in her museum displays, it was probably best if he kept those details close to his vest for now. “I have to say I’m intrigued that you mention Durmstrang so easily in conversation. Despite their participation in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, they’re still very much an enigma to us.”

“Probably due to the fact that Umbriel attended it as well. Told the most amazing tales of skiing the nearby mountains at the weekend.”

How rich! Percy thought to himself. “So you know where it’s located?”

“Sadly, no. That’s an iron-clad secret.”

“That’s too bad, I would have liked to be the one to tell Teddy once and for all.”

“Remus’ son? Why is he so fascinated with Durmstrang? One of those childish fixations?”

“Perhaps because Mr. Filch offers to send his irascible little hiney there on a regular basis,” Remus offered from the doorway. “Forgive me for intruding...” He waved his empty goblet in explanation.

“Not at all, Remus,” Penny replied graciously. “I could use a refill myself.”

“What team did your husband play with?” Remus posed conversationally as he filled Percy’s glass from the decanter of port wine as well. “I’m afraid I don’t keep up with Quidditch much.”

“The Helsinki Hellcats,” Penny answered.

Remus laughed as he leaned against the sideboard. “For real?” Lowering his voice, he added, “James used to refer to the Hufflepuff team as the Hellacious Hinkypunks just to get a rise out of their hot-headed captain. I didn’t realize the parody hit so close to home.”

“Why are you whispering?” Penny whispered back.

“Tonks is a Hufflepuff. Set to take over as Head of House next year,” Remus explained in a more normal tone.

“Please congratulate her for me if I forget,” Penny urged.

“Absolutely,” echoed Percy. “I understand Hellsinki sells more shirts than any other team in the International Quidditch League.”

“Only because most wizarding schools ban them,” Penny explained. “My husband used to say that alone accounted for seventy percent of their sales.”

“I believe the same passive strategy has done wonders for Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes,” Remus noted wryly.

“And to think I thought the twins would end up as washed up entertainers for children’s parties,” Penny confessed, then blamed her tactlessness on the wine.

Percy brushed her off with a carefree laugh. “Ron’s the undisputed king of the unguarded remark. Fred and George would just give you a sympathetic look as they awarded you an honorable mention.”

“And offer to appear personally at Sean’s next party if they were guaranteed a certain minimum of merchandise sales,” Remus predicted.

“Does Teddy really manage to get under Filch’s skin?”

“In new and inventive ways,” Remus issued with a hint of exasperation. “He’d be a permanent resident in the Hospital Wing if Filch wasn’t a Squib.”

“What’s to keep Filch from strangling him with his bare hands?” Percy teased.

“Speed and dexterity, mostly,” Remus volleyed back. “I don’t know what to do to dissuade Teddy.”

“Dissuade him?” Penny snorted. “I was thinking of canonizing him!”

Remus shook his head ruefully as he joined in the laughter.

“By the way, my theory is that Durmstrang is in Finland,” Penny volunteered with a sage nod. “Not that I can actually prove it.”

“Really? I always pictured it in the Ural Mountains,” Remus countered.

“What makes you so adamant about Finland?” Percy posed.

“The Hellsinki Hellcats recruit most of their players there,” Penny confirmed.

“I’ll be sure to tell Teddy,” Remus promised as he toasted his guests with the last of his wine.



End Notes:
With much gratitude to Hogwarts Duchess and her story Double Jeopardy based upon by an idea from BlackClaude about Viktor Krum’s sexual orientation. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for rendering the Bulgarian Bon-Bon into a credible character with some depth.
Sixteen: A Trail of Breadcrumbs by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Sixteen
A Trail of Breadcrumbs



The unusual spices were like a symphony to his nose, waiting to be experienced and savored. Percy could not believe he had holed himself up in his flat like a hermit for so long when just a short Underground ride away, he could be transported into an exotic land with a musical language of its own. Now that he had a good idea of the area, he could even Apparate directly into a secluded spot.

He dismissed the stack of papers waiting for him on his rickety dining table. He was so accustomed to filling in his empty hours with inconsequential drudgery his conscience tugged at him if he failed to cram his briefcase full before leaving work each evening.

Only one thing needed his attention that day and he had already taken care of it over his breakfast tea. A note to Ginny attesting to her exceptional match-making skills was already en route with his trusty owl, Hermes. Sean had babbled on about how they should invite Teddy to the upcoming Quidditch match; the small satisfied smile Penny had given in return when she’d admonished her son to ‘wait and see’ had made Percy’s heart sing with possibilities. Despite all the promotions which had come his way at the Ministry, he felt as if the world was opening up to him for the very first time.

Heady with happiness, he located a sunny spot in one of the small parks ringing the main thoroughfare and settled down for a bit of people-watching. Muggles mostly, but their unfamiliar style of dress make it particularly entertaining. He found enough Londoners dressed in jeans and jumpers just like he was to not feel like he stood out, but there were clearly enough variations in hair color alone that no one would have spared a second look at Tonks -- or even Teddy.

The pigeons scrambling for the last bits of his flatbread sandwich reminded him of the portions of his past he’d left intentionally vague. Granted, he was not proud of his early career with the Ministry, but it was hardly the sort of thing he would have hidden from Penny. Likely her inside knowledge of activities at Durmstrang was just as innocent as she had presented it, but Remus had been prudent to recommend caution. The subtle timing of the man’s entrance into the drawing room had not been lost on Percy. Remus had left the door to the nearby library open as an invitation to his guests so it was no surprise portions of the after dinner conversation with Penny had been overheard. After all, it would have been extremely rude of Percy to set any sort of privacy charm in his own sister’s home.

His father’s attack by Voldemort’s villainous snake outside the Department of Mysteries was not common knowledge, Percy reminded himself. The Order’s covert surveillance of that particular passage could have been brought into question, no doubt about it. And Percy’s first contact with Alastor Moody had come within hours. Had they been recruiting him already at that point or just sizing him up? It was difficult to say. All he could recall clearly was Moody’s glower as he knocked on Percy’s door long after the other Ministry employees had left for the night.

Truth be told, he’d been expecting Jules, the night watchman, to stick his head in as part of his nightly rounds. Instead Percy’s call of, “Enter!” had been met with the renowned Auror stalking ferociously into the small office. Percy barely had time to gasp as Moody drew forth his wand and directed it at the arcane wireless set. As Celestina Warbeck warbled in the background, Moody drew up a chair and pulled out a bottle of Firewhiskey accompanied by two small glasses.

Without looking up from pouring, Moody growled, “You might as well stop looking for your wand; if I had been intent on causing you harm, you would already be dead.”

“Really, Alastor,” Percy uttered, unable to hide the nervous quaver in his voice. “You could find a less dramatic way to wish a chap a happy Christmas.”

“Why?” Moody volleyed back as he indicated the other glass. “Brought my own liquid Enervating Charm and all.”

Percy glanced briefly at the paperwork strewn all over his desktop; but in the next instant, the documents stacked themselves into three separate piles.

“You’re done for the night,” Moody announced with a grim set to his lips. “Now drink up.”

Percy hesitated briefly before complying. Recalling the file on Barty Crouch, Junior, he had been annotating earlier that evening, he sputtered, “How do I know you’re really who you say?”

Moody appraised him critically. “I’m an ancillary member of the Auror Department. The guard at the end of the corridor passed me through.”

“How do I know poor Jules isn’t lying in a pool of blood?”

“Because no wizard worth his salt would create such an unnecessary spectacle.”

“You stunned him, didn’t you?” Percy demanded wildly, searching his pockets once again for the wand poking out of his cloak -- which hung on the coat rack on the far side of the room.

Moody chuckled darkly. “Why don’t you grab your wand and check for yourself? I won’t stop you.”

Percy gulped noticeably as he rose to retrieve his wand and then directed a wordless Alohamora in the direction of the door. The heavy wood responded by swinging open sharply, the echo reverberating down the empty corridor as the holiday music jangled in the background. Polished to a mirror finish, the black tiles reflected the green and red garlands on the shores of a long ebony river. From the guard post at the far end, Jules turned around and waved cheerily, issuing Percy his signature gap-toothed smile.

“Satisfied?” Moody suggested with a slight lift to his visible eyebrow.

“He could still be--”

“Yes, yes!” Moody cut across impatiently. “I could have Polyjuiced him, Imperiused him, etc. Time’s wasting, boy. If I had wanted you dead, you would be. I assure you only the real Mad-Eye Moody would know that on your seventh birthday, your twin brothers played the most despicable prank…”

As Moody spun out the details in rather humiliating glory, Percy concluded the man must have been present at the celebration himself. True, the twins were infamous, but only a biographer could have amassed such minutia.

Sagging from relief as much as anything, Percy finally allowed, “Happy Christmas, Alastor. I shouldn’t have doubted you.”

“Not at all,” Moody chortled gruffly. “Now drink up!”

Percy was momentarily perplexed by the empty tumblers before them only to notice in the next moment the shimmering lilac mist of a Privacy Charm. His eyes widened in alarm as Moody leaned in closer and hissed, “Grab you cloak; your presence is needed at St. Mungo’s. There’s been an attack and your father has been seriously wounded….”

The details were lost in the pounding of blood in Percy’s ears as he obeyed robotically. He stumbled down to the lifts, barely noticing Jules’ cap still bore the decorative holly sprigs from the afternoon’s holiday celebration.

Knowing no further details would be forthcoming until they were well-beyond the Ministry’s shadow, Percy staggered toward the end of the lonely sidewalk where Moody clamped onto his upper arm to direct the Side-Along Apparition.

The clock above the sterile Dangerous Bites Ward read 9:32, but Percy could not have told anyone whether it was night or day. Through the small observation window, Arthur looked pale and somehow diminished against the stark and cavernous ward. Only an occasional quiver in his fingers indicated he was alive.

“Can I see him up close?” Percy squeaked through the rising lump in his throat.

“This is as far as we can go, I’m afraid,” Moody confirmed softly. “You can thank Remus Lupin for alerting me to retrieve you “ despite your current situation. Arthur’s wound is having trouble knitting and the Healers felt anything that caused his blood to pump unnecessarily, be it from joy or agitation, would only complicate matters.”

It took Percy a few moments to find the words. “Will he make it?”

“It’s too soon to tell,” Moody admitted somberly. “Let’s hope we got to him in time.”

“What happened?”

It seemed like a simple question, but Moody’s answer took Percy by surprise. “We’re not entirely sure. Arthur’s the only eye-witness and his words have been somewhat disjointed.”

“But how--”

“I don’t have all the answers, son. Suffice it to say this happened on Ministry grounds; inside the building, as a matter of fact.”

Percy felt his knees start to give way as he considered how many evenings he’d spent working alone in his office.

“Where exactly?” he wheezed as Moody’s grizzled arm kept him from sliding to the floor entirely.

“Not on the same floor as your office. Thankfully, the Minister’s wing is the most heavily guarded area of the building. But you should be more cautious in the future, Percy. Bureaucrats aren’t expected to give their lives in the line of duty.”

A thousand unanswered questions swirled through his mind, but Percy was too tired to frame them into words.

Sensing this, Moody offered, “Let’s get you back to your flat. I’ll come for you tomorrow when I’m able. I take it you don’t particularly want to encounter the remainder of your family, am I correct?”

“Not right now,” Percy mumbled as Moody guided him firmly towards the outgoing Floo in the Receiving Area. His meager flat did not have a fireplace, but he could Floo to the lobby area before ascending the five flights on foot.

After fitful dreams of being chased by shapeless phantoms, Percy awoke the next morning bleary-eyed but with the determination that he would find some scrap of information about the attack among the mountain of parchment filtering daily for the Minister’s attention. In his mind, it was an amorphous enemy he faced “ perhaps nothing more than bureaucratic ineptitude “ but his father would not be without an advocate who could work behind the scenes.





By late afternoon, he gave it up as impossible. Not even a report of an accidental tumble on the over-waxed floors: nothing which related even peripherally to the attack. Percy didn’t for one moment suppose Moody was lying; the evidence of his father helpless in hospital was irrefutable. Even if he allowed his incipient paranoia free rein, Percy could only conclude he was too unimportant for anyone to go to so much trouble to deceive him.

Mechanically, he went through the motions of attending the holiday reception for the Minister’s inner staff he had helped organize. What was one more plastic smile in a veritable ocean? With a heavy heart, he allowed everyone to think he was anxious to leave for Yuletide celebrations with his family. The untouched paperwork remained in the same neat stacks as he slipped out precisely at quitting time “ a first for him.

He hardly felt the chill wind moaning through the concrete canyons of greater London that evening, clasping his winter cloak closed as his leaden legs found their way home of their own accord. Thankful for the single amenity the run-down building of wizarding flats offered, he crawled with icy limbs to sit heavily on the cracked leather settee before the hearth. It was only days later that he wondered why he hadn’t simply Apparated or Flooed home directly that night.

Hours later, Moody’s features materializing in the coals awoke him from a stupor. The glacial dread in his bones made him briefly consider whether the lobby had been ringed with dementors while his mind had been elsewhere. Some of that must have conveyed itself to Moody as his face disappeared in mid-sentence and in the following heartbeat, the man himself was at Percy’s side.

“Is he?” was all Percy could manage before a strangled sob shook his body from top to bottom.

Grasping him firmly by the shoulders, Moody stressed, “The worst is over, Percy. Arthur’s wound finally responded to treatment and they expect to release him in a few days. He’s going to make a full recovery but he’s still very weak from all the blood loss. An extensive course of Blood Replenishing Potion will have him sorted out, you’ll see.”

“Will he be returning to the Burrow in time for Christmas?” Percy demanded through fevered lips.

“No, the entire family has made alternate arrangements to stay nearby.” Moody took a deep breath before adding, “Somewhere safe, but you won’t be able to visit them there.”

Before he had a chance to protest, Moody was hoisting him to his feet. “Come,” he growled in encouragement. “The others just left St. Mungo’s and I want you to be able to see Arthur before he falls asleep. It’s been a long, but joyful day for him. After that, you and I are going for a pub meal and some liquid fortification. It’s not like you have to report to work tomorrow.” At Percy’s blank look, Moody rolled his magical eye spectacularly. “It’s the weekend, you dolt!”






“You didn’t ask me to identify myself,” Moody chided him gently.

Percy gave a grim sort of smirk over his fish and chips. “Seemed rather ungrateful to doubt someone who overlooked the bad blood between me and the rest of my family.”

Moody waved him off. “We all have a shorter trigger for those closest to us “ which is why political debates between family members are always a bad idea. But these are uncertain times, lad, and we shouldn’t let politeness stand in the way of safety issues.”

“Did you stop to think I wasn’t exactly in the mood to relive another embarrassing escapade from my youth?”

Moody’s chuckle was like the rumble of a volcano. “There are other ways to establish identity. Although the Ministry is too mired in a long tradition of ineptitude to employ them.”

“Alastor, even as an adjutant Auror, you’re still considered a Ministry employee,” Percy returned with mock seriousness.

“How else would my observations have any weight? Not going to denounce me to the Minister himself, are you?” Moody appraised the rather rumpled young man sitting across from him.

“Not until I hear you out first,” Percy retuned with a glimmer of interest.

Moody took a long swallow from the tankard as his magical eye turned so only the white was visible. Tom, the barkeep, exited through the side door leading into the storeroom before Moody swiftly withdrew his wand. With scarcely a breath, a smoky whale was thrashing among their dinner things.

As it faded into the brick wall, Moody whispered, “You remember the Patronus Charm, don’t you? The results are unique for each wizard.”

Seeing Tom return with a bevy of full bottles levitated before him, Percy muttered under his breath, “Can’t a person’s Patronus change?”

“Let’s just assume you haven’t experienced such a cataclysmic upheaval in your life.”

Noting that Tom had his back to them again, Percy concentrated on the scene of his father sitting up in bed and talking animatedly with the lime-garbed Healer at his bedside. A scintillating creature erupted from his wand tip and waddled comically across the room. It dissipated among the legs of the tall stools just as Tom resumed his perpetual polishing of the bar surface.

“A platypus, very original,” Moody rasped into his lager. “If I were the betting sort, I would say you’re somewhat ambivalent about your life.”

Percy locked eyes with Moody’s. “A conclusion that could apply to anyone. How do you even know it’s me?”

Moody barked a sandpapery laugh. “Because Lupin is a close friend and your N.E.W.T. level training came from him.”






The next time he ran into Moody, the answers Percy demanded only gave rise to more questions.

Seeing Percy’s dejected expression, Moody growled, “Come, it can’t be as bad as that.” Percy made room as the veteran Auror lowered his battered body onto the other side of the bench.

Nothing was said about the worn clipping from the Daily Prophet Percy hastily folded and stuffed into his pocket, but Moody couldn’t have missed the banner headline announcing the escape of a major Death Eater contingent from Azkaban. Truth be told, his magical eye could probably distinguish the faded photo of the Weasleys’ Egyptian holiday as well. The world had seemed so rosy then.

“I’ve made a total dung heap out of my life!” Percy blurted before he realized it.

“And you think I haven’t?” Moody’s gravelly voice was surprising sympathetic. “Four ex-wives notwithstanding, how asinine do you think I felt after being ambushed by a blathering degenerate like Barty Crouch, Junior? After years of preaching constant vigilance, no less!”

“It’s often rumored the mentally deficient have amazing physical prowess,” Percy volunteered helpfully.

“Wish you’d been on hand to defend me before Dumbledore,” Moody grumbled.

“Surely you weren’t brought before the Wizengamot?” Percy decried.

“Facing Dumbledore alone was much worse,” Moody attested. “Those sad eyes that seem to know everything… What was I to do afterwards? Waste away in my cramped flat? Fight the bastards, I always say.”

“Just who are the bastards, Alastor? That’s what I want to know,” Percy confessed, finally giving voice to the vague disquiet that had slowly been stirring in his gut.

“A question that has troubled much greater minds for a number of years, I dare say.”

“If I wanted cryptic games, old man, I’d just owl Dumbledore directly,” Percy retorted.

Moody chortled as he patted Percy companionably on the shoulder. “For that, you owe me a meal. It’s your turn to buy anyway.”

It should have been obvious to Percy then that they were trying to recruit him. For when they arrived at the Leaky Cauldron, Remus was waiting in a roomy corner booth.

“The better to survey the surroundings,” Moody noted in approval as he led Percy over.

Much to Percy’s surprise, Remus was not alone.

The bright-eyed woman was not too much older than he was, Percy noted, as she held out her hand invitingly. “Wotcher. With that shock of hair, you must be a Weasley.”

“Percy.”

“Forgive my manners, this is Nymphadora Tonks,” Lupin managed as he cleared his throat self-consciously. “From the Auror Department.”

“Can’t say I’ve seen you around, er, Nym--” Percy hesitated on the name long enough for Tonks to cut him off with a radiant smile.

“It’s Tonks. Easier to remember and won’t demand that I fling a curse at you in return.”

“Join us, please,” Remus offered magnanimously.

Tonks screwed up her face at Moody’s impassive features. “I know, I know…Time to get back to my post. Can’t a girl escape your ball and chain anywhere, Mad-Eye?”

Moody chortled in response as he took the spot she had just vacated, motioning for Percy to follow suit.

Looking up from draping his work robes over the bench back, Percy caught an unreadable expression on Remus’ face. In the space of a heartbeat, it was gone as Tonks offered in parting, “I don’t have to tell you what it’s like to be low man on the totem pole. Nice to meet you, Percy.”

“Likewise,” Percy returned as a tall ale he hadn’t ordered arrived before him.

“First round’s on me,” Moody grumbled amicably as he took a quick swig of Firewhiskey then chased it with a long pull of golden ale.

Ignoring the tumbler Tom placed before him, Remus addressed Percy directly, “So how’s life in the front office?”

“Long hours and little recognition,” Percy replied. “Just like Tonks said.”

Remus chuckled at Percy’s irreverence. “She gets recognition enough. Only Auror on staff who’s a Metamorphmagus. You’ve probably crossed paths millions of times and not recognized her.”

“So her hair isn’t naturally pink?” Percy issued with a laugh of his own.

“It won’t be tomorrow,” Moody predicted as the late winter rain drummed a soothing rhythm on the roof.

“You’ll forgive me if I wonder how you and Alastor are acquainted,” Percy remarked in a non-confrontational tone.

The vagueness flitted across Remus’ features once again, but he responded with candor, “We once worked together with your uncles, Gideon and Fabian. I was just out of school.”

Percy remembered the heroic tales his mother had spun about her brothers who had died to rid the world of Voldemort’s influence. They had taken at least five Death Eaters with them while Percy was still in nappies.

“Doesn’t surprise me you never knew,” Moody added. “Remus is much too modest for his own good.”

Ignoring the scarred veteran before him, Remus took a tentative sip of the Firewhiskey before setting it down with a small shudder.

Breaking the heavy silence, Moody ventured, “Percy was looking for answers.”

“In a philosophical sense?” Remus rejoined.

Percy shrugged noncommittally. “I’ve made a right hash of my life “ but I suspect you know that already.”

“I’m not one for recriminations,” Remus answered. “But before we speak plainly, don’t you think you should verify who I am?” Without the slightest concern for the bustling pub around them, Remus pointed his wand towards the base of the tall pilsner glass before him. In the next instant, the unmistakable silhouette of a giraffe galloped within the golden liquid.

“You’re a mighty fine wizard, is what you are!” Percy gaped.

“Just practice.”

“Show him the newspaper clippings that had you shaking your head,” Moody urged. “Both of them.”

Considering he’d been steeling himself to seek Moody’s advice earlier, Percy complied without hesitation.

“Quite an achievement, don’t you think?” Remus commented enigmatically as he gazed upon the photo of Azkaban’s grim façade. “Or does it make you wonder who’s guarding the prisoners? Good thing you’re still handy with a Patronus. Platypus, I believe.”

That last statement alone would have established Remus’ identity in short fashion, Percy considered inwardly. Aloud, he voiced more immediate concerns, “Sirius Black seems to have become the Minister’s favored scapegoat and rallying cry. He’s too many places at once, it you ask me.”

“Perhaps he’s able to replicate himself at will,” Remus joked.

“You tell me. Ron once said you were at school with Black.”

Remus composed his thoughts before proposing, “You have the answer before you.” Gingerly turning the worn photo of the Weasleys on holiday, Remus pointed sharply at the wriggly bundle in Ron’s hands. “There.”

Percy was at a loss for words. “Scabbers?”

“How fitting!” Remus laughed wholeheartedly. “Ron never shared what you’d named him. But wasn’t he your pet first?”

Percy nodded, although he had no idea where Remus was going with this. “Another Weasley hand-me-down, I’m afraid.”

“How exactly did he come to be part of your family?” Remus posed.

Percy gulped as he momentarily considered whether the man before him had totally taken leave of his senses. But no, Remus’ gaze was just as warmly intelligent as ever.

“Before you consign me to the nut house, hear me out,” Remus implored.

Right, make that a Legilimens with reality issues. This was just getting better and better. “Is he on the level, Alastor?” Percy urged.

“Saner than most,” Moody rasped. “Just likes to take the scenic route. But he’ll likely make it worth your while.”

“Dad brought him home from the Ministry one day,” Percy capitulated. “Said he’d felt sorry for the scrawny thing, always sniffing about his office. Mum said Dad was just tired of sharing his meager lunch with a creature even more pathetic than himself.”

“Sounds just like Molly,” Moody commented in encouragement.

“Do you remember when that was?” Remus prompted.

“I was five and Ginny was just a few months old…” Percy hesitated. “Do I need to be more specific?”

“That’s sufficient. It was a few months later that Arthur first invited me to the Burrow. Molly was only too happy to misrepresent large portions of pie as the surest antidote to the grief I felt over the Potters.”

“Right, Harry’s folks. I recall Dad claiming that Scabbers must have had a close call with a Roman candle on the night everyone else celebrated the downfall of You-Know-Who. It was how he justified that Scabbers was terrified of loud noises and was missing a front toe.”

“Frankly, I’m surprised you remember all this from such a young age.”

“Tales retold among my brothers,” Percy maintained. “In retrospect, it was my father’s attempt to legitimize a pet others would have abandoned to the Ministry’s exterminators. But despite his best campaign, neither Bill nor Charlie showed much of an interest, so he became officially mine. I was most likely to remember to feed him anyway. When I was named Prefect in my fifth year, they bought me an owl; so Scabbers was passed along. Ron was only too happy to have a pet of his own when he started his first year.”

“Why were the twins bypassed?” Moody rumbled. “Just curious.”

“Didn’t I mention Scabbers’ pathological fear of loud noises? Even the clanging of pots in the kitchen made him blanch. If Dad hadn’t given me permission to remove his cage to my room early on, I don’t think he would have made it.”

“Yet he held his own against Hermione’s cat,” Remus countered.

“Don’t even remind me!” Percy rolled his eyes dramatically. “I don’t know which was worse during my tenure as Head Boy: the constant search for Scabbers while Crookshanks looked on with those restless eyes or Ron and Hermione arguing about it!”

“My vote goes to Ron and Hermione,” Moody mumbled under his breath.

“It was a tough year for me as well,” Remus commiserated. “And I don’t just mean the resignation of my post at year end. All my assumptions of the previous twelve years came crashing down around me.”

Percy looked bewildered. “I’m not sure I follow, Remus.”

“Perhaps if you’d spent more time at the Burrow, Ron would have told you the rest.”

“You mean how the mangy rat bit him and then ran away? Mum was rather relieved when she told me,” Percy admitted sheepishly. “And Ron got that ditzy little owl, Pigwidgeon, in the bargain.”

“Couldn’t have told it better myself. Managed to hit all the salient points,” Remus concluded with satisfaction. Then catching Tom’s eye, he ordered Firewhiskeys all around.

“Let me get this one,” Percy uttered as he slid a small stack of silver Sickles to the edge of the table. He studiously avoided looking at the threadbare cuffs of Remus’ faded jumper. “Considering I felt like I was wandering in the mist prior to the Firewhiskey, what precisely are the highlights?”

“May I?” Moody jumped in as he took a generous sip.

Nervously, Percy followed suit only to find the liquid fire streaming down his gullet fairly distracted him from the hypnotic effects of Moody’s damnable eye.

Moody counted off on his weathered fingers. “The timing of the acquisition. The missing toe. The irrational fears. The timing of the escape.”

“Don’t forget Arthur’s propensity to offer a kind hand to the disenfranchised,” Remus added. “Or to use the more common term: strays. Me among them. But I only saw what was before me. It took a wrenching moment for me to drop everything and avert disaster that night when I left without waiting for my potion to follow Ron, Hermione and Harry into the tunnel beneath the Whomping Willow.”

“Sure, Remus, you wanted to save them from Sirius Black,” Percy dismissed the well-worn tale.

“Quite the contrary. Ron was pursuing a much more dangerous enemy; one who had lain dormant, biding his time like a virus.”

“Sirius Black plotting in Azkaban,” Percy echoed with a hint of impatience.

“Ron was chasing Scabbers that night; Scabbers was trying to hide from Sirius Black. Had been all year. Crookshanks was likely frustrated that he had no one to chase more than anything else.” But Remus’ next words brought Percy up short. “Your father befriended a true rat those many years ago, an escapee from the debacle which claimed Harry’s parents. A rogue Animagus who could assume the shape of a rat.”

“You’d have to be demented to hide as a rat for such a long time,” Percy scoffed.

“Precisely,” Moody agreed. “Mentally unhinged, had been for years. That’s what made him so bloody dangerous.”

“So what happened to the wizard “ or witch, I suppose “ who was not really a rat? And aren’t Animagi supposed to be registered with the Ministry?” Percy contributed, feeling his thoughts careen out of control.

“Found a different hiding place, I suppose.” Remus shrugged with indifference. “And being an unregistered Animagus was the most minor of his infractions, trust me. For that night he revealed his true identity as the betrayer of Harry’s parents. We thought he’d been our friend, too, but he sold us all out to Voldemort.” At Percy’s blank expression, Remus delivered his coup de grace, “Peter Pettigrew.”

Unimpressed, Percy sighed indulgently. “All that build-up and the culprit is a dead man, long buried and honored posthumously by the Minister himself.”

“Hardly buried,” Moody provided. “Pettigrew’s body was never found, only his finger. Cornelius Fudge was head of Magical Law Enforcement at the time and I remember it well. First on the scene and declared the case was closed. No one brought Black to trial, no evidence was presented. Remus was questioned incessantly by a short-sighted bunch of wankers who could only conceive of a werewolf as being the villain, not an innocent bystander.”

“Nothing’s changed in that respect,” Remus uttered with a hollow laugh. “They’re still convinced I know where Sirius Black is hiding his cache of escaped Death Eaters.”

“Do you?” Percy posed with mounting interest.

“In their fetid imaginations!” Remus replied scornfully. “I would suggest Malfoy Manor as a more likely destination were it not for the wretched landlord’s close ties to the current administration!”

“I can’t say that hasn’t bothered me also,” Percy admitted. “Knowing the son, I feel I know the father. Is that prejudicial?”

“Perhaps,” Moody confirmed. “But in this case, your first instincts are correct. Malfoy slipped through our fingers the first time, claimed he’d been Imperiused…”

“If there’s a first time, then you’re implying there will be a second!” Percy gasped.

Moody’s face was solemn as he pronounced, “Evil never sleeps, son. Didn’t Voldemort take over when Grindelwald was deposed? It’s a deathless beast whose eggs are exceptionally fertile.”

“Do you have any evidence of this?” Percy demanded.

“Only my first-hand testimony,” Remus answered openly. “And I’ve already established how much weight that carries with the powers that be.”

“What about Ron, Hermione or Harry?” suggested Percy.

Remus’ eyes burned with fervor. “Witnesses also, but Harry has been systematically discredited in the press.”

“No one else was present?”

“Snape swooped in but managed to get himself shot with a Confundus-Expelliarmus combination.”

”You?” Percy considered.

Remus shook his head gravely. “Harry. An untrained wizard whose emotions often amplify his spell power.”

Percy was about to decry Harry for having used deadly force against a teacher, but then reconsidered when he remembered it was Snape. Likely, Harry was not the only student who had dreamed of wiping that mocking jeer from Snape’s face “ he’d just had the right set of circumstances.

“I don’t know what to say,” Percy stammered.

“Say this conversation goes no further than this room,” Moody insisted.

“You have my word on it,” Percy promised. “A one way ticket to Bedlam is not in my future, I’ll thank you to remember.”

“That’s a Muggle institution,” Moody reminded him.

“Long dismantled, I believe,” Remus added wryly.

“I doubt they’d care!” Percy proclaimed as he drained his glass.

So what he’d intended as a edifying conversation had turned to mush in his very hands, Percy concluded in retrospect. But one fact remained clear: neither Moody nor Remus thought like other men “ and Percy was in need of a fresh approach.






From there, try as he might, he couldn’t get the details of that evening’s discussion to leave him alone for long. A bit of diversionary dialogue, he told himself in the cold light of morning, nothing more. Remus had always been a rather entertaining houseguest; the man had certainly wiled away enough hours at the Burrow.

Perhaps his judgment had been altered by the unfamiliar presence of Firewhiskey, Percy chided himself. Yet every salient point from the Scabbers’ discourse burned clearly in his mind; so unlike the fuzzy, disjointed memories that often accompany alcohol consumption. But Percy had little experience with liquor, so the distinction was not so readily apparent to him.

Despite immersing himself in an overhaul of the Minister’s entire filing system, the disquiet still simmered in the back of his mind. Too many new questions had sprouted like weeds from the few provocative answers he’d received. What’s more, he had no idea how to contact Remus directly for any type of illumination; he’d been too caught up in his own concerns to even offer the basic banalities of inquiring after Remus’ current circumstances. Never had he berated himself more thoroughly for his deplorable social skills.

It did not help that tantalizing segments of the puzzle would come across his desk in the regular course of the Ministry’s paperwork, either, teasing his overwrought brain to the point of distraction. Fudge had made the capture of Sirius Black a number one priority and reports from the Auror Department were routinely channeled through Percy’s office. His job was to organize the information into binders for succinct review by the Minister whose time was extremely limited. For this very reason, there was very little that went on in the Ministry that didn’t pass, sooner or later, through Percy’s overworked hands.

Not that he’d paid much attention to the contents of many of the reports in the past. Route them into the correct folder so anyone could simply flip to the appropriate pages in a matter of moments. Suddenly, he found himself engrossed in the minutia, reverting to his long-standing habit of arriving at his flat only to tumble wearily into bed.

He had long recognized that it was in his nature to be thorough, obsessive even; it was a trait he’d inherited from both his parents. Much of his father’s contentment in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office stemmed from his reverence for all things Muggle-related; that was hardly a secret. Was it that unusual for Percy to have found a similar calling?

A few lines in the daily interrogation logs revealed just how often Remus had been subjected to a repetitive line of questioning about his involvement with Black. Each time, Remus had given the same stoic responses: they had been friends at school; he was present when Dumbledore had advised the Potters to go into hiding. Regretfully, he’d not witnessed when their fate had been sealed by establishing Sirius Black as their Secret-Keeper. He had no knowledge of Black’s actions the next morning; he himself had been recovering from a particularly debilitating transformation the night before. Luckily, Remus had witnesses to attest that he’d been properly confined during the full moon or who knows how else he would have been implicated? Always the transcripts of the questions ended the same: Black had not contacted him during all those months when the man had been stalking Hogwarts; their only confrontation had come on the night Remus had forgotten to take his Wolfsbane Potion.

No mention was made of Pettigrew’s presence. Was Remus hiding this from the Ministry? Percy considered briefly; then decided they wouldn’t have believed him without any proof and the last thing a werewolf needed was to appear mentally unstable.

More recently, they’d grilled Remus about whether Black had tried to coerce him into joining his band of renegades and whether he had been aware that Black was planning to orchestrate the largest mass escape from Azkaban in history. It was a foregone conclusion that since Black had engineered his own escape, he would return to free his dark colleagues. Yet other than the betrayal of the Potters, there was nothing to link Black to any other Death Eater activity. But surely all that would be forthcoming when they apprehended him and forced him to give a full detailing -- except no one had seen Black in public since he’d escaped from Hogwarts nearly two years ago. If Percy were to theorize, he might suppose Black had fled the country. But if that were the case, the man couldn’t have been involved in all the random lawlessness the Ministry was determined to pin on him.

Much to his surprise, Percy discovered that Nymphadora Tonks had also been brought in for questioning although she’d been in the midst of her Auror training at the time of Black’s escape from Azkaban. Questioning a Ministry employee was irregular enough to spark Percy’s concern. Only through due diligence did he arrive at the connection: despite the difference in their ages, Tonks was Sirius Black’s cousin. She, too, denied any knowledge of Black’s grandiose plans. She’d met him once or twice as a child, but her side of the family had been estranged from the other Blacks since her mother eloped to marry Ted Tonks, a Muggle-born wizard.

Over and over, the reports mentioned that only Pettigrew’s finger had been found at the scene. Mass mayhem, annotated by the accounts of numerous Muggles prior to their memory modifications. The Obliviator Squad had been under Fudge’s direct control when he headed the Magical Law Enforcement Department. Percy tried to dismiss Scabbers’ missing toe as a coincidence, nothing more, one of those serendipitous moments that peppered life in general.

There was no doubt that consigning a wizard to Azkaban without a trial was somewhat unusual, though. The Blacks had been a powerful family in wizarding circles; surely, someone would have spoken out on behalf of their self-acknowledged black sheep. Percy was absolutely certain his own parents would not have washed their hands of him so cavalierly had the situations been reversed. So many holes in the story, so many elements that could be made to fit Remus’ retelling just as easily as the Ministry’s official version.

He tried to take the snippets of information and weave them into another plausible alternative; if Remus could do it, why couldn’t he? This would provide the antidote, Percy convinced himself. For days, his dreams were haunted by images of gnarled kite strings he painstakingly untangled only to watch the first gentle breeze undo his hard labor. None of the alternative explanations held up under scrutiny. Even the most promising scenario, that once freed from his rat shape Pettigrew had aided Black in his escape from Hogwarts, seemed too unlikely. An accomplice who had cleverly avoided capture would have tried to assist Black’s escape from Azkaban, not cower in his cage. And why frame his partner in the first place? A territorial dispute perhaps? Even if the rat had taken advantage of Arthur’s benevolence, he’d had ample opportunity to fade away into the woods surrounding the Burrow. He could have then assumed an alias in human form. Remaining in rat-face for twelve bloody years didn’t make any effing sense!

Even more unsettling was that having cut himself off from his schoolmates along with his family, Percy had only Remus’ word that Pettigrew was still alive. But if that were indeed true, then his father’s over-reaction about a spy being introduced into the Burrow was not so unreasonable. It still rankled Percy that Arthur would accuse him, his own son, of allowing the Ministry to manipulate him in such a fashion; but for the first time, Percy could understand why.

He had to get some perspective, Percy reminded himself sharply. Tossing the burgeoning Black file into his credenza for later, he turned his attention to more immediate matters. Merlin, that Umbridge woman seemed to be mired in quicksand at Hogwarts! He fully allowed they could be a bunch of miscreants, his Head Boy duties attested to that, but she had unleashed a virtual civil war. A backlash for her totalitarian methods; but as the adult in the equation, she should have anticipated that. Hadn’t the Minister placed full confidence in her managerial skills?

The next document brought him up short. The Auror Department was submitting an emergency requisition for Veritaserum. He was looking at a duplicate showing that Fudge had already signed off on it two days ago. The request came directly from Rufus Scrimgeour, the current head, but something about it didn’t sit right with him. Pulling the Hogwarts folder towards him once again, Percy riffled feverishly until he found another document which chilled him to the bone.

Perhaps he’d take a stroll down to the Auror Department, Percy decided. After all, the overview of supply requisitions fell within his job duties. The clock showed it was only a quarter hour past quitting time. With luck, he would encounter someone other than Scrimgeour who could provide him with an unbiased assessment. If he was really lucky, he would find Moody still at his desk.

Halfway down the corridor leading to the double doors, Percy encountered Moody just leaving for the day.

“No one left but the cleaning crew, I reckon,” Moody grunted as he awkwardly swung his cloak over his shoulders. “Late night yesterday.”

“More arrests?” Percy asked casually.

“Dead ends. Chasing phantoms, if you ask me.” At Percy’s determined expression, Moody added in an undertone, “Is there something I can help you with?”

With a self-deprecating sigh, Percy admitted, “I feel a bit like that hapless classmate of Ron’s, to tell you the truth. Neville Longbottom. His most intent actions always go up in putrid smoke before his eyes.”

Moody scowled for a moment. “Only Longbottom I know is Frank. One of the most deadly Aurors to ever tread these halls. His wandwork was legendary; that is until Bellatrix Lestrange took it into her barmy head to torture him and his wife into madness.”

He hadn’t known then how a recent visit to the Incurable Ward had disturbed Moody just as much as Harry. But at that moment, the man’s words felt like a strange affirmation of sorts. Percy nodded grimly as he hefted the heavy portfolio under his arm.

Catching the subtle signal, Moody proposed in a jovial tone, “You look like you’ve spent too many hours at your desk, son. Why don’t we both stretch our legs? Looks like winter has finally given it up for another year; but I don’t suppose you rate an office with a magical window, do you?”

Locking the files in his office, Percy grabbed his own overcoat and dimmed the wall sconces in case he felt a need to return later. Truth be told, he could use a breath of fresh air himself.

Once past the employee entrance, the blustery wind threatened to snatch Moody’s bowler hat but he managed to Summon it just in time. A judicious application of a Sticking Charm kept the problem from recurring. Even fully buttoned, Percy’s coat tried to wing itself from his frame until they turned the far corner and the wind died down to a dull roar. The first purple fingers of dusk were reaching out to them, but the sidewalks had already been deserted by Ministry workers eager to return to their homes and families.

“Seems like a ghost town,” Percy remarked conversationally as he cast his Patronus inside a dark storefront as they passed.

“Preferable to be surrounded by wraiths without ears and mouths,” Moody rumbled in return as he followed Percy’s example. “What did you want to talk to me about?”

“Veritaserum,” Percy replied succinctly. “An emergency requisition from Scrimgeour.”

“Got to be ready for interrogations. Veritaserum is considered to be humane.”

“Scrimgeour established a redundancy when he first took over. He was very careful in that respect,” Percy explained.

“And you’re wondering whether we’ve completed an inordinate amount of interrogations within the past, what?”

“Six to nine months.”

“Not that I’m aware of. Do you think an employee may be siphoning some off to sell on the black market?” Moody suggested.

“Actually, I hadn’t considered that,” Percy mused. “You have a suspicious mind, Alastor.”

“I’m paid to be suspicious. What about you?”

Percy was caught unprepared. “Me?” he stammered. “I’m the Minister’s entire clerical department; I review all sorts of documents before filing them.”

“Is this what you wished to bring to my attention before?” Moody shot back. “When I found you moping in the halls?”

“Geez, Alastor, does that magical eye allow you to see into my brain?” Percy decried nervously.

“No, I’d have more success with entrapment if it did. I found you in a corridor that leads nowhere but the Auror Department. Unless you were leaving, which didn’t seem to be the case…” Moody let his words trail off into the evening shadows.

“Am I that transparent? First Remus practically yanks the very words from my lips and now this!”

Moody chuckled deeply. “I’m also paid to be observant. And Lupin’s no Legilimens, if that’s what you’re implying. He would find delving into another’s private thoughts unseemly.”

“Then how does he do it?”

“Can be a bit uncanny, I admit. Reads the little tics everyone else overlooks.” Moody shrugged. “Suspect it’s just an outgrowth of having too much time on his hands. Idleness doesn’t really agree with him.”

“Has he been unable to secure a position? Dumbledore doesn’t seem the type to give him a bad recommendation.”

“Have you even read the laws your august Ministry has been spewing out in the past decade?” Moody growled. “Dumbledore could give him the most glowing review and the anti-werewolf legislation would still slap him to the ground. Dumbledore was the only one willing to give him a chance.”

“He was a superlative teacher,” Percy affirmed with gnawing unease.

“Tell that to Dolores Umbridge who thinks werewolves aren’t fit to lick her boots!”

“How does she figure into it?”

“The most restrictive laws were penned by her poisonous quill. Check the archives. I doubt anyone would question the Minister’s right-hand man reviewing such documents.”

With a sinking feeling, Percy admitted, “The Wizengamot records are in total chaos. I’d be flummoxed if the clerks even know how to alphabetize!”

“Doesn’t surprise me one bit.”

“You don’t trust anything with Umbridge’s name attached, do you?” Percy ventured.

“Part of my job.”

“Well, she’s also at the heart of the problem I encountered and I’m fairly certain the Minister himself is unaware of the ramifications.”

His interest piqued, Moody urged, “Veritaserum again?”

“A rather large portion of the Aurors’ backlog was diverted to Hogwarts just months ago.”

“Can’t say I have much intimate knowledge of the inner workings at Hogwarts,” Moody muttered in a self-deprecating manner. “But I trust Dumbledore.”

“Despite those who wish to paint him as senile, I’ve never doubted him either.” Remembering his rather pompous words to Ron, Percy added, “But I’m not paid to speak my mind, you know how it is.”

“Minerva McGonagall has a heart of gold.”

“If the request had come from her, I would be less worried. Some clumsy student smashing an entire tray, perhaps.”

“Then who?”

“Dolores Umbridge at both ends. She submits the request, then approves redistribution from the Ministry’s stores. Stores that should be sacrosanct.”

“Sounds like a clerical snafu,” Moody commiserated. “Right up your alley.”

“There’s more to it than that! Brewing Veritaserum was part of Snape’s curriculum for his seventh year N.E.W.T. classes. Something he muttered under this breath as he berated our efforts kept tugging at me. So I checked the Ministry’s ongoing contracts for Veritaserum. We buy it from Hogwarts; Snape brews it in his spare time as extra income for the school as well as himself.”

Moody laughed sharply at the absurdity of it all. “Do you think it’s like one of Mundungus Fletcher’s schemes to get the Ministry to buy back its own Veritaserum?”

“That I could handle. I’m wondering what prompted such an unprecedented need for Veritaserum at Hogwarts when they are capable of brewing enough for their own needs!” Percy stopped in his tracks to emphasize his point. “The faculty is not that large; and the one thing I was able to discover in the legal archives is that it’s illegal to administer Veritaserum to anyone who’s not of age. Not without the express consent of their parents. Not even a Healer can administer it.” Percy took a moment to catch his breath, then wailed, “Did they somehow manage to capture Sirius Black and forget to inform the Ministry?”

“The Auror Department has no jurisdiction over Hogwarts,” Moody testified grimly. “Why seek me out?”

“Am I seeing evil intentions where there are none?” Percy moaned as he took off again at a brisk clip.

Moody struggled to keep up as he cautioned, “You’re asking a man with a propensity to question every shadow.”

“I’m asking a man whom I trust, someone how knows evil when he sees it,” Percy corrected.

“Do you want me to relay this to Remus?”

“I would have brought it to him myself if I knew how to owl him,” Percy conceded. “Even the records of his interrogations don’t show his current address. Just London.”

“You’d have to ask Dumbledore about that,” was Moody’s enigmatic reply.

“Dumbledore?”

“He’s the Secret-Keeper,” Moody supplied. “That’s all I can say.”

As their footsteps echoed hollowly among the concrete storefronts, the implication rose unbidden in Percy’s mind. “Remus’ residence is being protected by a Fidelius Charm?”

“It’s more for the benefit of the owner of the house, not Remus.”

“I should have drawn him out when we were at the pub,” Percy muttered under his breath.

“If it’s any consolation, laddie, Remus is as tight-lipped as they come. You’d likely not get anything out of him that he wasn’t ready to share. And werewolves are impervious to Veritaserum.”

“And what exactly puts Remus in a sharing mood? Large quantities of alcohol?”

“He’d never fall for that.” Moody thought for a moment before suggesting. “You could begin by asking him about the tail end of your previous discussion.”

“About the rat who’s not really a rat?”

“Ask him where Ron got Pigwidgeon.”

Percy had always wondered how that conversation would have gone, but he never got the chance to initiate it. The night he was to meet Remus for a friendly game of darts at a nearby Muggle pub, he received an urgent Patronus message advising that an emergency with Harry had come up. After a few hours of fitful sleep, an owl arrived from the Minister himself alerting Percy to meet him in the Atrium as soon as possible -- the Ministry was under attack.

By the time he next heard from Remus, Rufus Scrimgeour had assumed the post of Minister for Magic in the wake of Fudge’s resignation. This time, they met in the tony flat Dumbledore had provided and Remus introduced Percy to Kingsley Shacklebolt, on temporary leave from shadowing the Muggle Prime Minister.

Percy sighed deeply as he took in the Muggles basking on the nearby park benches. Licking the sticky honey from the baklava off his fingers, he smiled as he imagined doing the same for Penny. Soon, he promised himself. If he couldn’t yet share the secrets from his past, he’d share a bit of the present. As for the paperwork that awaited him in his flat, it would still be there when he returned. But today, he’d been afforded a rare gift indeed: the opportunity to daydream.
Seventeen: In Voldemort's Shadow by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Seventeen
In Voldemort’s Shadow



The timid February sunshine caressed the rustic windowsill as Penelope gauged the effect of months of hard work. Visitors would stand at the very spot where poor, doomed Merope Gaunt had likely prepared the love potion she would later administer to Tom Riddle, Senior. The trees in the surrounding woods had been artfully trimmed to allow a gabled corner of the roofline to be glimpsed in the distance, serving to contrast the grand Riddle house with the rustic Gaunt cabin. From there, visitors would be led past the hole in the floorboards where Tom Marvolo Riddle had hidden Salazar Slytherin’s ring, a despicable trophy of young Lord Voldemort’s burgeoning skill at murder and deception.

The trail through the woods was left dark and foreboding, trees encroaching from both sides as if to grab visitors with wooden tentacles. It was particularly eerie on a wintery day such as this; but even in full summer foliage, the high canopy kept sunlight from penetrating this deeply and the branches retained their sinister look. The public would have to traverse in single-file, only to burst out onto the wide country lane bordering the high wall of the Riddle estate.

It had been Penny’s inspiration to refurbish the grand house from this side only so visitors could visualize the splendid façade that had lured young Merope. A short walk down the lane stood the small caretaker’s cottage with the main portion of the house looming behind it. From this angle, the once stately structure retained the derelict look from the time of Lord Voldemort’s residence.

Again, it was the contrasts that made a lasting impression: the sparkling outer appearance of the far side of the house belied the disdain with which Tom Riddle, Senior, would reject the young witch who had attempted to magically ensnare his love.

The track from the caretaker’s bleak cottage to the main house had been fashioned to wind sinuously through the overgrown grass in an unspoken tribute to Voldemort’s monstrous serpent. Once atop the slight rise, the rickety steps to the main house were left with gaping holes that had been invisibly reinforced from beneath but which allowed visitors to witness Voldemort’s festering psyche. Sanitizing the area without losing the abandoned look had been more difficult than Penny had originally supposed, but her budget allowed her to hire experts in the field who had preserved every discolored stain and feathery cobweb for posterity.

The true challenge had been the graveyard. The historic site would be open to visitors during daylight hours only, so she could not hope to capitalize on its spooky atmosphere in the fading twilight. In the stark light of day, it was merely a scraggly spot with tumbled gravestones and overwrought baroque statuary. A testament to bad taste, perhaps; but hardly indicative of the true horrors Harry had witnessed the night of Voldemort’s resurrection. Penny knew that, somehow, she would have to make the graveyard appear menacing.

Here’s where her extensive conversations with Harry had paid off. Although hesitant to revisit those painful memories, Penny’s gentle persistence had finally convinced him that she had every intention of treating matters just as sensitively as Luna had.

“I want to get it right,” she’d attested fervently. “I’d be positively thrilled if you reviewed my efforts and made any necessary adjustments.”

As Penny recalled the details of Harry’s truncated duel with Voldemort, a small grassy knoll bordering the property drew her like a magnet. It would be ideal to recreate the Priori Incantatem phenomenon, but that proved to be a more daunting task than anyone had envisioned. Obtaining wands with a similar core had been a simple matter; getting them to react with one another was nigh impossible, Penny decided in despair. Although the literature indicated it was a rare phenomenon, that should not preclude her from recreating it under controlled laboratory conditions, as it were.

In frustration, she sought out her counterpart in the War Museum, one Ravenclaw to another. She knew Luna had researched related issues in order to notate a photograph of Voldemort’s wand broken in two upon a spreading pool of blood. True, the blood had been mostly Harry’s, but it had not changed the startling impact of the photo taken by Ministry officials in the wake of the final battle.

As the focal point of the gruesome exhibit, the silvery lumps that remained of Voldemort’s serpent ring were encased in an impenetrable glass vial. Set atop a small turnstile, the strange crystal eyes blinked at visitors in a most unsettling fashion. The curator in her couldn’t help but be disappointed that the broken pieces of Voldemort’s wand had been burned in the hearth at Godric’s Hollow that very night. But as Hestia Jones described how she had fed all the Death Eater wands into the strangely smoking fire, the necessity of such drastic precautions was all too clear.

Luna’s eyes lit up at the new challenge. “Research is all find and good,” she began, “but nothing can compare to practical knowledge. I found Mr. Ollivander to be an invaluable resource. I’d be glad to introduce you to him.”

“You’d do that for me, Luna?” Penny pleaded.

“Of course, Mr. Ollivander can seem a bit off-putting at first,” Luna admitted. “But his stories are ever so entertaining once you get him to open up.”

Penelope thought the description was rather apt for Luna herself, even though she had since revised her opinion of the reclusive second year she’d known at Hogwarts.

Once past the jangly bell on the door, Owen Ollivander was just as Penny remembered him from so many years before. His penetrating eyes seemed to bore into hers as he nodded emphatically. “Yes, indeed, I remember: beech wood, ten inches long, mermaid hair core.”

Warned of his peculiar recognition ritual, Penny smiled broadly and patted her wand pocket with assurance. “Hasn’t let me down yet.”

“You’ll forgive me if I don’t recall your name, though,” Ollivander remarked with the slightest air of chagrin. “But any friend of Luna’s…”

“Penelope Clearwater,” she supplied. “I don’t really use my married name of Olin very much anymore.”

“Luna said you needed some information about wands,” Ollivander supplied. “I just might know a thing about them.” With a quick flick of his wand, the curtain to the back room drew open to reveal a gangly young man atop an exceptionally tall ladder. “Milo, could you cover the shop? I’m taking these nice young ladies to Florean’s for some cocoa.”

“Right-o, Mr. O!” Milo flashed a ready smile. Then in the next heartbeat, he slid down the ladder using only his hands for guidance. “I’ll be sure to wave out the window if I get swamped.”

“I didn’t know you’d taken on an assistant,” Luna commented as Ollivander ushered them past the merry awning of the ice cream parlor in the facing row of shops. Despite the nippy temperature, there were a number of folks enjoying elaborate concoctions inside the glass-fronted shop.

“Business had been booming,” Ollivander volunteered as he pointed to one of the metal tables which had been brought inside for the winter. “Seems back-up wands are all the rage since it became known that the intrepid Harry Potter used such a subterfuge to defeat the Dark Lord himself.”

“I couldn’t very well omit such an important detail,” Luna confided.

No one mentioned that Harry had never retrieved his auxiliary wand from Voldemort’s corpse. It had remained as a solitary sentinel imbedded in his nemesis’ ribcage as the remains smoldered atop a pyre in the Ministry courtyard. Officials estimated that most of wizarding Britain had filed by in silent witness until the carcass had been reduced to ashes. Fighting the ignobility of death to the very end, Voldemort’s body had smoked for three days and nights, the repugnant creosote smell attributed to a nearby Muggle demolition site. As if on cue, a fierce summer thunderstorm had doused the lingering stench and scattered the last stubborn remnants to anonymous corners of the planet.

Ollivander gave her a self-satisfied smile. “I couldn’t pay for such a recommendation. I really should offer you some sort of recompense.”

“Please, Mr. O,” Luna demurred. “We established that the last time. Any sort of kick-back makes me look unprofessional. Besides, Harry’s auxiliary wand was fashioned by Gregorovich; he didn’t want to risk it bearing any similarity to Voldemort’s.”

Penny noted how Luna artfully avoided mentioning that Harry had been so shaken by the Priori Incantatem phenomenon, he’d begun to wonder about Mr. Ollivander’s true loyalties in the process. With total dispassion, Harry allowed how easy it would have been to maneuver him, a total rube when it came to all things magical, into accepting a wand which could not be used against Voldemort. It was just another example of how Harry’s determination to face his demons head-on had strengthened his position in the end.

“I won’t complain if Mr. Gregorovich is getting extra business these days,” Ollivander offered magnanimously. “But I assure you, he doesn’t have such an alluring supply of wands in tropical woods such as teak, tamarind, and gumbo-limbo.”

At Luna’s urging, Penny ordered a lava flow sundae, the sharp cinnamon syrup warming her insides as it smoldered over a field of white chocolate ‘snow’. It was a fit accompaniment to Ollivander’s engrossing recount of the two years he’d spent in exile as the wizarding war heated up throughout Britain. He assured them that while he was certain good would eventually prevail, he had used his enforced vacation to create a whole new product line.

“Granted, the accounts I received in exotic ports of call were so full of rumor; the Daily Prophet often weeks late and so incomplete that I often wondered whether I was just trying to keep my fingers busy. I had no idea a new fashion would come about at the direct result of Harry’s cleverness.”

“What made you decide to leave?” Penny ventured. “It was so disheartening when I made a trip home over Christmas and Diagon Alley seemed such a pale imitation of itself.”

“I understand completely,” Ollivander empathized. “It was not by choice, I assure you. There has been an Ollivander’s in this very spot for centuries.”

“It looked like your shop had been ransacked,” Penny added.

“It had,” Ollivander confessed in a low tone. “But I did the handiwork. What better way to keep the vandals away than if it looked as if someone had already absconded with the choicest items?”

“But you must have had to leave so much behind,” Luna considered.

Ollivander shrugged. “It was unavoidable. I could always make more. But if these hands were destroyed…” He held his graceful fingers up to the light and examined them reverently. “Well, think of the legacy that would have been lost.”

“Weren’t you afraid someone would track you?” Penny posed.

“Absolutely. That’s why I had to make certain the echoes of magic left behind could not be traced to me.”

“But if you did the deed...?” Luna countered.

“Ah, yes, but think of all the wands I had at my disposal. Some the likes of which had not been used in hundreds of years. If a truly clever wizard tried to read my clues, he would have been totally stumped.”

“Who would have been up to the task?” Penny pondered.

“Certainly Albus Dumbledore,” Ollivander claimed. “He could stick his finger in the wind and taste the very air. Seen him do it on countless occasions.”

“Anyone else?” Luna wondered.

Ollivander just shrugged in reply. “Doesn’t do to underestimate the enemy, if you take my meaning. Those goons from the Wand Parity Division didn’t need to come to my back door more than once for me to know that the climate had gone sour.”

“Wand Parity Division? Never heard of it,” Penny confirmed.

“Neither had I,” Ollivander continued. “Undoubtedly a trumped up name that rattled off their tongues after Apparating amid a cloud of blackest smoke. But someone had certainly tipped them off about my contracts with the Ministry. Aurors and other magical law enforcements units can go through a lot of wands in short order, but I was to make sure I supplied an equal number of wands to the private citizenry before I could fill my next order for the Ministry.”

“But that doesn’t make any sense,” Penny protested. “What did they hope to gain?”

“Other than intimidation,” Luna added breathlessly.

“I suspect they had a whole army of private citizens waiting to snap up wands. Wands that would then be supplied to those who were not permitted to buy them outright. Trolls, giants, elves.”

“Goblins aren’t allowed to carry wands, either,” Luna mused. “They’ve been contentious about it for centuries.”

“Did you fear Gringott’s would dissolve into anarchy?” Penny asked.

“Not deep down,” Ollivander considered. “The goblins would be giving up a lot of power by abdicating control of the wizarding banks. But it made me nervous that someone would be trying to tempt them away from the little fiefdom they had rightfully carved out for themselves. It was not the way I wanted the Ollivander name to be remembered for centuries to come.”

Mr. Ollivander tasted his newly replenished cocoa as he idly watched a mother with a young child enter his shop. “Looks like Milo might get a chance to demonstrate his Muggle magic tricks for a willing audience. The Weasley twins have been teaching him in their free moments.”

“Just no fireworks inside,” Luna reminded him with a small giggle.

“Set off the wands for sure.” Ollivander laughed at their private joke. “Luna suggested I try that if I ever needed to escape while the world thought my shop was under attack. Could have used a mind like hers during the war.”

Penny waved away the offer of cocoa in order to savor the cinnamon still tingling pleasantly on her tongue. Taking the opportunity, she explained the problems she’d experienced with the Priori Incantatem recreation for her historical site.

“They don’t teach much about wandlore these days, do they?” Ollivander noted with a tiny frown. “Much more interesting than History of Magic, if you ask me. As a matter of fact, you can outline the fall of Rome and all the great upstart civilizations by tracing the path of certain influential wands. Think of them as barometers of enlightenment and culture. But you won’t be able to duplicate the Priori Incantatem effect. Not unless you’re extremely lucky “ or unlucky, as it were.”

“If you map out the stumbling blocks, perhaps we can figure out how to circumvent them,” Penny proposed as she flipped open a notepad.

Ollivander nodded with a grim set to his lips. “Brother wands. Must share a certain similarity in the core. Not just both unicorn hair, mind you, but from the same animal. Unless the wandmaker harvested the cores himself, you have no way to know. Even I can only tell unicorn hair apart by color, nothing else.”

“How did the other brother wands come to be?” Penny questioned.

“They were a rare gift to me from Dumbledore. His phoenix had just been a baby “ the first time around “ and with the mindlessness of youth had flown carelessly into one of those magical contraptions in his office just as the ruddy thing came to life. Yanked two feathers from its glorious tail. Must have been painful, too. Dumbledore said how the bird had struggled to twist his body to use his own tears on the wound. Needless to say, the bird was never that clumsy again.”

“But you fashioned the wands to look different on the outside,” Penny prodded.

“Of course, no two people are alike. Each a unique combination. I suppose I could deliberately create the two wands for you. Do you have a source for any possible core materials? Something unique to your enterprise would be ideal.”

“We’ll put that issue aside for now,” Penny decided as her quill flowed over the page. “What else?”

“What about the accuracy of the duelists?” Luna suggested.

Ollivander nodded encouragingly. “Also an essential component. The spells must intersect one another in mid-stream. There is no magnetic pull to attract one to the other; remember the brother wands are actually trying to resist one another.”

“Accuracy,” Penny mouthed as she added to her checklist. “What about the type of spell? Does it have to be particularly virulent in nature?”

Ollivander shrugged with sad eyes. “I'm not completely certain. Clearly, Voldemort had no moral constraints about using one of the Unforgivables. What about Harry?”

“Can’t say about the final battle as those spells were both issued non-verbally,” Luna spoke up. “But at the Riddle graveyard, Voldemort voiced the Killing Curse while in the same breath, Harry attested to calling forth, ‘Expelliarmus.’ It was as if the maniac made a point of announcing the spell in order to savor the fear in Harry’s eyes at the recognition that doom was upon him.”

“Arrogant git!” disparaged Ollivander as he shook his head. “Gave advance warning so even an untrained duelist could neatly bisect his spell.”

“So all we can say, for certain, is that one of the spells must be non-defensive in nature,” Penny summarized.

“Yes, but let’s not forget the underlying animosity existing between the two participants,” Ollivander clarified. “In magic, intent is often the most important thing of all. What’s more, there has to be a tie between the persons or the brother wands won’t consent to their acquisition in the first place.”

Penny gulped noticeably as it occurred to her that Ollivander was equating Harry’s potential with Voldemort’s. With a tongue like sandpaper, she issued, “What linked Harry to Voldemort?”

“Why his scar, of course,” Ollivander responded immediately. “Not that a tie existed at the time the boy-who-would-become-the-Dark-Lord bought his wand from my father. Which is why the brother wand sat collecting dust for so many years in the back of my shop.”

“What about the fact that Voldemort killed Harry’s parents? Would that have been a tie as well?” Luna prodded.

Ollivander took a long sip of his cocoa, looking between the two women with glittering eyes. Satisfied that their open expressions conveyed just how fascinated they had become with the subject, he proposed, “I take it neither of you are familiar with the history of the Priori Incantatem. Wizard scholars had long theorized that such a thing was potentially possible. It was a pronouncement met with the same awe and indifference that often accompanies a prophecy. They would believe it, when and if, it ever came to pass. And for many hundreds of years, it didn’t. It was just an arcane theory that fascinated magical scholars but left laymen unmoved. Then came the tale of the two brothers, an all too familiar situation as their childhood closeness exploded into rivalry when they both fell in love with the same woman.”

“Hamlet,” Penelope breathed. “A tale of one brother who murders the other just so he can marry the Queen himself and secure the throne. Throws the son/nephew into a huge identity crisis.”

“Can’t say I’m familiar with that one. A Muggle tale?” At Penelope’s acknowledgement of her Muggle parentage, Ollivander consented, “Countless examples exist in all cultures. It’s the dark side of love which leads to obsession and despair. The fact that it’s such a universal theme is what made scholars ponder why the Priori Incantatem was, inversely, such a rare occurrence.

“As to the two brothers immortalized in wandlore, they had been close all their lives. Their father gained renown by capturing some sort of magical beast and he presented the local wandmaker with matching cores so brother wands could be fashioned for his sons. The resemblance between the two brothers was remarkable and they were often taken for twins once they grew into adulthood and the age difference was not so noticeable. It was a major source of confusion until one brother, the younger, consented to grow a moustache so they could be told apart with ease.”

Penny suppressed a smile as she thought of Fred and George who would have then alternated whose turn it was to sport the moustache and made the whole contrivance irrelevant.

“A young soldier and his wife settled nearby and both brothers, still unmarried, became smitten with the young woman. While her husband was away on prolonged campaign, the brothers did not hesitate to offer her assistance in a neighborly fashion, especially once it was discovered she was with child. Then the day came when the husband’s body was borne home on a litter by his men and the brothers both converged on the young widow to offer their condolences. Society being less civilized in those days, the young mother-to-be was urged to take a new husband so she’d have a ready protector by the time her child was born. The account does not say what part the woman played at this point; whether she encouraged them, or even pitted one against the other. The fact was that the acrimony between the brothers increased to the boiling point until they faced each other down in a duel.

“Forced to duel against their will, the brother wands resisted with the Priori Incantatem phenomenon, taking their own measure of the brothers. Much to the young widow’s surprise, her husband’s wraith emerged from the wand of the brother deemed to be less worthy by the magic. She married the other brother and was rewarded with the birth of a son not too much later, a son who bore an uncanny likeness to her new husband.”

“Which brother was the true father?” Luna considered. “Did she even know, considering the resemblance?”

Ollivander shook his head regretfully. “Such a pertinent fact, but the answer has been lost. To wandmakers, it would have been irrelevant. All that was handed down was that the murderous brother escaped in the night and was never seen in those parts again. As for the Priori Incantatem effect, it did not recur until many hundreds of years later when Harry Potter faced off against Tom Marvolo Riddle.”

“Begging your pardon, Mr. Ollivander,” Penny put forth, “but that tale is hardly illuminating. Other than the presence of the brother wands, the two situations are totally dissimilar!”

“Are they though?” Ollivander drawled in a manner which seemed almost predatory. “It’s true that one set of facts may not be a blueprint for the other, but think of the underlying emotions. Betrayal, murder, retribution. The unfathomable power of love twisted into hatred in the first instance; in Harry’s case, his mother’s loving sacrifice repelling death.”

“I would suggest good versus evil, but we don’t really know whether the victorious brother was an adulterer or whether that crime should also be laid at his brother’s feet,” Luna presented as she looked expectantly from one face to the other.

“Does it really matter?” Penny considered. “A child conceived of love, illicit though it may be, can hardly be compared to murder.”

“And in each case, the universe seeks equilibrium. So the cosmic scales of justice are calibrated,” Ollivander maintained. “Evil versus good, light versus dark. These things are always in flux. But you’d be wrong to conclude that the brother wands act as agents of retribution; that’s just a case of projecting our own feelings onto a magical, but still inanimate, object.”

Perplexed even more than when she started, Penelope stammered, “Then how does the Prior Incantatem work?”

“To this day, no one knows for sure,” attested Ollivander. “With only two examples to study, you see why many questions are unanswerable. But my understanding of wand lore tells me this: it was a foregone conclusion that Harry would be victorious against Voldemort’s wand in each instance.” To the incredulous expressions directed at him, Ollivander amended, “Not that he couldn’t have been killed in another manner. Harry himself instinctively sought a different wand to do the dark deed, if it came to that.

“Wands operate by very simple rules. Once defeated, the wand recognizes the victor as his true owner, regardless of whose hand actually wields it. It is not so noticeable if the wand is used against another, unrelated person. But it will not allow itself to be used against he who it recognizes at its true owner. When the killing curse rebounded from Harry’s forehead as a baby, that wand recognized Harry as the victor. And it would not turn on its master. Add to this the natural resistance of brother wands to be used against one another and you can see how the cards were stacked in Harry’s favor.

“But if Voldemort had bothered to study wandlore, he would have known that the first step to victory demanded that he abandon his wand and seek a replacement. Snapping it in two himself would have ensured another wand would readily agree to serve him. But instead, his ignominious followers found their way back to the invisible mansion at Godric’s Hollow with the express goal of retrieving their master’s wand and preserving it for him.”

“Why didn’t Riddle make wandlore a part of his individual study program?” Penny postulated. “I can’t believe Dumbledore wouldn’t--”

“Dumbledore knew all right,” Luna confirmed. “He was the one who recognized the Priori Incantatem when Harry first described it. Immediately knowing the lad before him had been shaken to the very core by seeing his dead parents emerge from Voldemort’s wand.”

“And Dumbledore wasn’t about to reveal his trump card to Voldemort’s followers,” Ollivander supplied.

“But he didn’t tell Harry either!” Luna protested.

“The better to maintain the secret, my dear,” Ollivander claimed with a mirthless smile.

Penny looked up from her scrawled notes as sudden inspiration struck. “Didn’t Harry hand his wand off to Neville at the last second during the final duel? Yet the Priori Incantatem still took.”

“But Mr. O didn’t sell Neville a wand; Neville used his father’s,” Luna protested. “Still uses it; it’s a family heirloom.” And had been a final testament to Neville’s grandmother that the son was a true reflection of his father, Luna thought proudly.

“But surely you’re not implying….” Penny left her words trailing off as the swirling possibilities threatened to engulf her.

“We will never know, will we?” Ollivander issued in an eerie, ethereal tone.

Penny shook her head to clear it as the words of the prophecy rose unbidden. The mark of the Dark Lord; Neville bore it too. Harry himself had reasoned that his classmate possessed the internal scars of visiting his parents in their vegetative state, alive on the outside but as good as dead inside their injured brains. Would the brother wand have chosen Neville as its owner if he had called on Mr. Ollivander before Harry had?

After deliberate consideration, Penny tabled the idea of recreating the duel. Perhaps once she knew more about the phenomenon. The closest thing to a rivalry she had been able to postulate was the twin brothers who Umbriel had known at school; both destined to play Keeper for rival Quidditch teams. But somehow arguing over the possession of the Quaffle, or who got to wear the Keeper’s mask for Durmstrang during their school years, were exceedingly petty squabbles at best. Even if she circumvented the wand’s propensity to choose its owner by having Ollivander construct custom wands with the singular cores she supplied, she didn’t think it would be enough. Not to mention the number of zeros in the custom price she’d been quoted.

Instead, she would recreate the horror of having an innocent bystander cut down before Harry had time to draw a breath. If Amos Diggory didn’t object to his son’s tragedy being memorialized in this fashion, Penny was fairly certain she knew how to pull it off.
Eighteen: Diplomacy by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Eighteen
Diplomacy



Hermione pinched the bridge of her nose between her fingers, hoping to stave off the impending headache. What a god-awful mess the Wizengamot had made of the laws during the last decade! She pondered why she had been so certain she could solve the problem without a truckload of dynamite. Thinking like a Muggle again, she chided herself half-heartedly. What she really needed was a bushel of paper-chomping worms, or insects, or whatever magical beast could be specially bred to devour bad legislation; surely Hagrid would know. Perhaps she’d send him an owl.

She sullenly closed the heavy cover of the wizarding law book. A bit of fresh air would clear her mind, perhaps a cup of tea in the employee courtyard even. But before she could summon her all-weather cloak, there was a knock at her office door.

“Enter,” she called out absently, her mind still lost in an indeterminate fog.

Amos poked his curly grey head inside and whispered, “You have a visitor to request a special favor. A temporary assignment of sorts.”

Hermione nodded in resignation as she pasted an amicable smile on her lips. Probably another Unspeakable seeking a consultation about the newly created Dementor Containment Area. Really, if they were that unsure of what they were doing, they should have just assigned the Dementor Unit to the Magical Creatures Department in the first place; created an auxiliary division if they wanted to maintain a bit of autonomy. Just think of the shoe leather that would be saved when they didn’t have to unwind their way past the disorienting corridors of the Department of Mysteries and take a lift to another floor.

She was caught short when Percy Weasley walked in and seated himself in the nearest chair, leaning over intently.

“Did Amos brief you?” he asked, getting right to the point.

Merlin, he barely warned me! Hermione thought to herself. Aloud, she clarified, “Just that it was a pre-approved assignment. Something for the Minister?”

“More of a diplomatic issue. Last minute shuffle in personnel and suddenly we have no one to escort the visiting Bulgarian Quidditch team through the War Museum.”

“I’m sure Luna will do just fine…” Hermione began, only to wind down when she caught Percy’s unblinking stare.

“There was a special request made for your presence. Penelope was going to handle it originally since she’s technically part of my staff, but she’s been called away to deal with an emergency on her own turf. Viktor Krum specifically asked for you; said your Yuletide greetings mentioned you were working at the Ministry.”

“I thought Viktor retired from the team,” she replied, recalling how Ron had made fun of the unflattering photos in Which Broomstick.

“The Bulgarians seem to be a bit looser with those designations than we are,” Percy harrumphed. “Last minute injury to their new Seeker and the second string wasn’t ready for an important international match, so Krum steps in to save the day. And as the senior member of the team, he is accorded certain privileges.”

“What exactly would my assignment be?”

“Keep him company for the day, be his own personal tour guide through the museum and any other London sights he might want to visit. Have high tea at the Connaught; the Ministry has an account already set up there. Only restriction is that you finish up in time for him to have cocktails with the Minister at half past five.”

“What about the rest of the Quidditch team?” Hermione demanded, not wanting to be stuck being nursemaid to a bunch of disinterested broom-jockeys.

“We have other personnel from the diplomatic corps to herd them around the sites. You’ll be assigned to Krum exclusively. The War Museum’s been closed to the public until two so you won’t have to worry about dodging any autograph hounds, either.”

Hermione rolled her eyes at the thought of having to deal with Viktor’s fans; Ron had been such a rabid fan until he’d actually come face to face with the man. “I don’t know, Percy….”

“Look, Hermione, I know it’s an imposition. Trust me, I do. But Eleanor’s with Mum today. She won’t mind watching her a bit longer; you know how single-minded she is with infants. And Penny really is caught in a bind: her site just opened to the public a few days ago and she gets word today that Umbridge wants to bring her ‘knitting group’ by for a private tour.”

“Have you suggested burning oil? It proved very successful with the Visigoths.”

“If only Umbridge were that civilized!” Percy scoffed with just a hint of a smile.

It would be nice to see Viktor in person after years of short notes and infrequent updates. He had always been a stalwart friend. “Will there be press there? I’m hardly--”

Percy glanced quickly at his watch; it was just barely past nine. “I’m here to escort you home to change. We’re due to meet them in roughly ninety minutes for elevenses. That should give you ample time.”

Hermione nodded curtly as a quick motion with her wand stowed all her paperwork neatly in a self-locking desk drawer.

Percy’s sharp footsteps rang along the corridor as he assured Hermione that her supervisor had already approved her loan and, no, it was not necessary to alert any of the assistants of her absence. He’d already taken care of those details for her.

“Think of me as your personal assistant until I deliver you into Krum’s capable hands,” Percy placated.

Ron’s just going to love this, she groaned to herself. Just more groundless suspicion for a fire that wouldn’t catch flame with a herd of dragons blowing on it. “Will you make sure to let Ron know?” she pressed, keeping her face as neutral as possible.

“Of course,” Percy allowed. “As part of the Magical Games Department, he’s probably been assigned to greet the team when they arrive at the Ministry for cocktails. An honor guard of sorts before they adjourn to the Minister’s private rooms. Set to coincide with quitting time.”

Once at the bank of lifts, Percy flashed his official insignia to commandeer one for their own private use. In a matter of seconds, they were exiting into the Atrium and headed for the Apparition point just past the main doors.

“It will save a lot of time if you just Apparate us directly to the upstairs of your house,” Percy suggested with a slight blush. “I can’t say I’ve been further than the kitchen myself.”

With an amused grin, Hermione deposited them directly in the hallway outside the master bedroom. As Percy leaned against the banister to regain his footing, she sent a silent charm into the next room to smooth the bedcovers.

“No need to be embarrassed, Percy,” she offered as she walked through the doorway and waited for him to follow. “You’re my brother-in-law, remember?”

“Right.” Percy tried to use briskness to cover his self-consciousness, then gave it up as hopeless. “I’m not exactly used to inviting myself into a woman’s bedchamber, all right.” He sat himself down on the settee at the foot of the bed and cradled his face in his hands. “Just laugh and get it over with. I live for humiliation.”

Hermione couldn’t help it. As much as she tried to maintain a straight face, the laughter just bubbled up. “I’m sorry, Percy, I truly am. But if you could just see yourself!”

“I’d feel like I was part of Fudge’s entourage, I know. Just promise me you won’t call me Weatherby.”

Hermione joined in with Percy’s wry chuckle, then suggested, “Why don’t you find something in my closet you think is suitable? I know the Ministry has female assistants for this kind of thing, but right now you’re all I’ve got “ and I have no idea what would be appropriate.”

When she returned from the bathroom with her hair sleeked back into an elegant French twist, she found that Percy had laid out the royal blue taffeta dress she’d worn to Eleanor’s christening.

“You don’t think it’s too--”

“Elegant?” Percy supplied. “Krum doesn’t want to see you in one of Mrs. Figg’s tweed ensembles. This is perfect. Now where do you keep your Order of Merlin? Boggarts, I should have remembered to ask you while we were still in your office! You don’t have it--”

“Framed on the wall like Remus, you mean? No, Hogwarts is a lot safer than the Ministry when it comes to personal belongings. There’s a small red box in the top dresser drawer.”

Uncertain why Percy was so concerned with the medal, she grabbed the dress and retired into the bathroom to change. She was just slipping her feet into elegant pumps when Percy approached with the velvet box in hand.

“Percy, really, it’s not something I take to wearing in public. I have a vintage brooch that’s just perfect…” She trailed off as she saw the determined look in Percy’s eye.

“It’s part of your official credentials,” Percy explained. “Or at least I’ve charmed it to serve that function for the day. It’s much too late to improvise anything else. Besides, diplomats routinely wear the decorations awarded to them by their governments.”

“Men do,” Hermione acknowledged as she remembered clipping the medallion just under Ron’s black tie for Ginny’s wedding. Harry and Remus had also been wearing theirs; Ginny and Tonks had not. “But even that’s only for formal occasions.” Fondly, she recalled the unstuffy wedding she and Ron had shared in the back meadow at the Burrow. The summer breeze had caused an ocean of wildflowers to undulate amid flowing pastoral gowns. There had been no call for fancy medals to adorn Ron’s crisp linen shirt.

“I guarantee you every other member of the diplomatic corps would be proudly displaying their decorations, if only they had any,” Percy mumbled as he concentrated on the spell that would painlessly attach the Order of Merlin to the shimmering taffeta of Hermione’s bolero jacket. “Krum needs to recognize he’s getting the cream of the crop here.”

With a radiant smile, Hermione tucked her own wand into the hidden pocket along the seam of her full skirt. It was a little awkward with the dropped waistline, but the body-skimming bodice accentuated how quickly she’d regained her figure after nursing Eleanor for the better part of four months.






“Is like Yule Ball all over again,” Viktor whispered in her ear as he drew her away from the boisterous buffet arranged in the refurbished solarium. “Diamonds on roof instead of snow on silver trees, but it sparkle just the same. Like your eyes.”

Hermione giggled nervously as she surveyed the crowded room around them, but no one was paying them the least mind. Following Viktor’s finger, she shaded her eyes at the dazzling display as the sun sliced between the tall townhouses surrounding Grimmauld Place. The morning’s rain had indeed wreathed the glass roof with a generous smattering of moisture to refract the sun’s rays into their own private light show.

“You forget you’re a married man,” she joked.

“Vife number three moved out last week,” he confided lowly.

“I’m sorry, Viktor. I thought you had ironed things out ahead of time.”

“Me, too. But I get it wronski once again.”

Hermione laughed at his use of the nickname she had given him after he butchered her name for the ninety-ninth time. “But you told her the truth…”

“Ya, Vicky,” he replied using the pet name he’d bequeathed to her upon discovering Ron had likened him to a female. A bit too prophetic for his own taste, but perfect for Hermione. “She accepted everything. But she vant too much from me, more than I’m villing to give.”

“You know the solution,” Hermione whispered as she allowed him to draw her into the deserted hallway outside the roped off basement kitchen.

Instantly, a uniformed attendant was at Viktor’s elbow with a tall glass of dark ale and a more dainty cup filled with crushed ice for her. “Taste,” he suggested with an encouraging smile. “I bring bottle from home. Is like mead only made from elderberry blossoms.”

Hermione took a tentative sip of the pale yellow liquid. It was pleasantly sweet and cold as it slid down her throat “ and thankfully, not very high in alcoholic content. “Very nice indeed,” she noted as the glass studiously refilled itself. She leveled her gaze on Viktor who gave her a casual shrug.

“It vas either self-filling charm or they’d be at our elbows all afternoon,” he defended as he took a long pull of the dark beer. “Is good, too. Reminds me of local brew at home. Vat is name?”

“Thestral Ale, it’s called. They have the audacity to market it with the slogan that it will disappear before your very eyes.”

Viktor issued a deep chuckle. “Clever. Cheeky, as they say. See I learn English slang.”

“Cheeky monkey.”

“Vat’s vith monkey? A comparison to my prehistoric ancestors?”

Hermione laughed as she felt herself relaxing in his effortless company. “That would be a Neanderthal. A comparison I have made with many men, I assure you. But the slang expression for something that’s outrageous but engaging at the same time is ‘cheeky monkey.’ Cheeky by itself is more akin to mouthing off at the teacher.”

“Ah, grounds for detention.” Viktor nodded that he understood the distinction. “Many teachers make you stay after class?”

“Never. It’s only in novels that schoolgirls are seduced by their professors. At Hogwarts, it would have been automatic grounds for expulsion for the student and an inglorious sacking for the teacher.”

Viktor cocked an eyebrow to convey ‘only if they’re discovered.’ He was such a romantic at heart, no wonder women fell for him regardless of his protestations, Hermione thought to herself.

“Ya, officials vould have looked down noses at such proceedings at Durmstrang as vell. But being boy’s school…”

“It isn’t anymore,” Hermione corrected him. “Welcome to the twentieth century, I say.” Feeling a bit more courageous, she dared, “But being a boy’s school must have been heaven for you.”

Viktor laughed deeply at a side of him that so few people knew. “More like child in candy store who is diabetic. Touching only vith eyes.”

“I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have been so flippant.”

“Naw,” Viktor allowed happily. “Is no different than me making joke about you keeping nose in book. Does this offend you, Vicky?”

“No, but I don’t live in the shadows between every heartbeat like you do, Viktor. You’re entitled to be happy.”

“Vas happy vith vife number two. She make jokes like you.”

“Then what happened?”

Viktor sighed in resignation. “She fall in love vith fashion designer she claim vas perfect for me. And I not von to stand in vay of true love. She send me lovely designer clothing on regular basis. Viktor is best dressed Quidditch player, no?”

As he stood back for her appraisal, Hermione had no choice but to admire the cut of the black suit and slate grey shirt he wore. The smooth folds of the pleated trousers attested to the training regimen he’d resumed in order to fill in for the injured Seeker.

“Very continental,” she complimented him.

“And the color of twilight sky. Vat do you call it?” he demanded as his eyes drank in the iridescent fabric of her dress.

“Sapphire. Like the gemstone.”

“Of course. I alvays buy diamonds. Go vith everything; first vife train me vell.”

Hermione took a determined breath, “Viktor…”

“No,” he replied. “I know vere you are heading ven you use proper first name. And answer remains no. The vorld is not ready for this truth.”

“But many other sports figures--”

“Is their decision. I support them. But is not answer for me.”

“I have a close friend who’s a werewolf and feels quite the same,” Hermione conceded gracefully. “So please believe me, I do understand.”

“This friend, is Quidditch coach?”

Hermione shook her head as she recalled Ron’s assertions that only in Bulgaria were werewolves treated with at least a scintilla of dignity. “No, he’s more of an intellectual.”

“Yet he has job?”

“Yes.”

“Different customs in England, then.”

“Not so much. He presents himself as being like everyone else, even though it’s a lie.”

“But he finds lie necessary.”

“Only because laws are skewed so that employers are practically required to reject werewolves or submit themselves to constant Ministry overview.”

“These laws are enforced by current administration?”

“Not really, but they still remain on the books. It’s enough to dissuade any employer who doesn’t want his business to be painted with a bullseye, even if it’s more paranoia than anything else. They foster fear of werewolves and that’s enough.”

“How does friend maintain job then? Superlative skill?”

Hermione nodded with a fond smile. “Versatility and an indomitable spirit. Not to mention that his employer is a rather plucky woman who might actually relish lobbing brimstone onto the Ministry’s front porch, if it came to that.”

“Yes, you have surrounded yourself vith heroic friends,” Viktor remarked as he gazed at a group picture taken the night of Voldemort’s defeat.

They were a motley bunch, held together by ragged bandages just as much as their victorious smiles. She redirected his attention to the vintage photo of the Order that contained so many who had died in that first campaign, the Potters and Ron’s uncles among them. “We wanted to recreate a similar pose,” she explained. “Even though it was an incomplete grouping; some were in the Hospital Wing.”

Viktor peered more carefully at the photo. “You look fresh as daisy, no? Ron, too.”

Hermione felt a hint of embarrassment rise to her face as she explained their clothing had been “scandalously disheveled” as the Headmistress had put it before she sent them to their dormitories to change. “Believe me, we were plenty scratched up on our knees and elbows “ you just can’t see it under those robes.”

Mindful of the abbreviated facts contained in the museum display, Hermione recounted her role in the final confrontation omitting any mention of werewolves.

“So you and Ron never faced Voldemort directly?” Viktor pressed.

Hermione shook her head at the irony of it all. “Just the Minister for Magic,” she conceded, swallowing the urge to add that a career politician could be just as underhanded. Such undiplomatic comments did not suit her assignment for the day, she reminded herself.

Of his own accord, Viktor came to a similar conclusion. “Ah, the snake in grass. He should have known that in intellectual duel, he vould not measure up.”

Hermione glanced around nervously, but they were alone on the first floor landing. The faint voices below indicated the others were just beginning with their tour, though.

An unfamiliar exhibit caught her eye and she drew closer to review the photos under a heading that read: The Obstructionists. Photos of Cornelius Fudge and Dolores Umbridge stood side by side. The verbiage about Fudge discussed the climate of fear that had persisted during the last year of his tenure as his denial of Voldemort’s return bordered on the pathological. An ostrich burying its head in the sand, Hermione thought to herself; but Luna’s words were more charitable as they outlined how Fudge’s policies doomed his administration to eventual collapse.

Beneath Dolores Umbridge’s portrait were miniature versions of the infamous Educational Decrees, each prominently featuring Fudge’s florid signature at the bottom. The legend read:

As Senior Undersecretary for then Minister for Magic, Cornelius Fudge, Dolores Umbridge was given the important task of furthering the administration’s agenda. Ms. Umbridge was assigned the duty of calming fears among the student populace at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with a temporary posting to the faculty. As demonstrated by the long list of Ministry Decrees, Umbridge’s mission to teach the students what to think backfired spectacularly; requiring more and more stringent methods as control slipped like sand through her fingers.

As the sole eyewitness to Voldemort’s harrowing resurrection, Harry Potter became the final obstacle that needed to be overcome. So Ms. Umbridge made it her goal to squelch any support he may have found among the other students. Misinformation was routinely funneled into news reports which sought to paint Potter as a spoiled attention-grabbing adolescent, at best-- and a delusional maniac with a tenuous hold on reality, at worst.

But totalitarian methods are often the impetus for the very insurrection they seek to suppress. As Umbridge helmed the Defense Against the Dark Arts classes that taught it was not necessary to defend against an imaginary foe, students turned to another teacher, one who was ready to teach them to defend their integrity as well as their very lives.

Demanding their due, a small group of students threw their loyalty behind Potter and formed a Defense study group that was intentionally given the ironic name of Dumbledore’s Army. Their attempts to lampoon Fudge’s most paranoid fear that the school’s venerable Headmaster was intent on usurping political control led to unexpected consequences. For when the students were discovered by Umbridge’s pogroms, Aurors were sent to detain Dumbledore for treason…


Hermione’s attention to Luna’s overview was arrested by a sharp tug on her sleeve.

“That voman,” Viktor began with a distasteful scowl towards Umbridge’s portrait. “She vas Toad Queen vat gave you so much grief? Your letters vere full of anger about her vengeful methods for many months.”

Hermione nodded with a grim set to her lips. “She’s still giving us grief. Now that she’s retired from the Ministry, she’s set herself up as an informal export on anything and everything.”

“Vouldn’t be so bad if newspaper didn’t quote her at every opportunity. But she should not give you grief “ she’s pompous buffoon, nothing more.”

“She had amassed a following, Viktor. People who buy into her lies that Harry’s still seeking attention to compensate for the parental love he never knew. She wishes to portray this very museum as nothing more than a gigantic folly fueled by his twisted narcissism.”

“A ready diagnosis vat applies to Toad voman herself. She should look in mirror more often. Even if Reparo Charm needed each time.”

Hermione burst out laughing at Viktor’s wry commentary.

“See,” he offered with amusement dancing in his dark eyes, “that is how ve take Umbridge’s vords. Lies so outrageous are to be met only vith derision.”

Hermione considered that Viktor’s honorable view of the world was perhaps a bit naïve, but accepted it was part of his inherent generosity.

“Did I tell you, Vicky, that Toad Voman vonce visit Durmstrang?”

“Not until this moment,” Hermione attested with rising interest.

“Vell, vithout picture, I not know vas same person.”

“You mean my description wasn’t apt enough?” she teased.

“Should have mentioned unnatural attachment to color pink!”

“Forgive my oversight. How did she manage to visit your school, though? I thought only alumni and students were permitted to know its location.”

Viktor shrugged to indicate it was obvious. “Headmaster allowed to break own rules. He bring visitors in by Portkey. Not necessary to disclose Unplottable location.”

“Was the purpose of her visit a secret as well?”

“She come to lay groundwork for Trivizard Tournament. Accompanied twitchy man who vas in charge of International Cooperation.”

“Barty Crouch, Senior,” Hermione supplied as she recalled Percy had started his Ministry career as Crouch’s assistant. “When was this?”

“I vas deep in training for Vorld Cup, so it must have been previous spring.”

That would make sense, Hermione mused. Percy had not been hired until the summer. “So did the Minister accompany them as well? That would have been Cornelius Fudge.”

“No, she come vith other man; man I assume to be Quidditch coach. I not meet Minister until after First Task complete and he valtz down from reviewing stand.”

It was probably Ludo Bagman then, Hermione surmised. The scandal that had forced his resignation as head of the Magical Games Department had not yet occurred. His swaggering bravado could easily have led Viktor to think of him as a coach, but she never had the chance to ask if it was the same man who had served as one of the tournament judges.

“Now vat man, he is hero,” Viktor announced, appraising the still incomplete exhibit on covert activities.

Hermione could not believe he was referring to Percy, but then she noticed Viktor’s eyes were devouring the words detailing Severus Snape’s dangerous dossier.

“I take Potions classes from him and never knew… All I know he vas related to our Headmaster, Igor Karkaroff.”

This was news to Hermione. “Really? But Snape attended Hogwarts as a lad, not Durmstrang.”

“Very distant relation, but such distinction is not often made in my corner of vorld. Family is family, no matter vat.” He frowned slightly before adding softly, “Things did not turn out so vell for Karkaroff. He try to shake off yoke entirely and there vas no place distant enough for him to hide.”

“I was sorry to hear about that,” Hermione sympathized although she knew very few of the details. “Such an anonymous death is always difficult.”

“Karkaroff alvays have students’ best interests at heart. He vas only von to convince Bulgarian Quidditch team to grant me sabbatical to finish schooling after Vorld Cup.”

“I remember you saying you’d been recruited after what would have been our O.W.L. year.”

“True, and I vas able to keep up vith coursevork for a time through private tutors, much like you did during final year. But ven Bulgaria see it has chance at Vorld Cup, all accommodations cease. They vant to lock me into contract so I vould have to resign to finish schooling.”

“It’s a sad commentary on sports figures that often repeats itself here as well,” Hermione empathized. “So what happened in your case?”

“Vell, my grandmother not happy at all vith Quidditch Association. And no von should vant to see my gran unhappy; she only look frail and harmless.”

With a small snigger, Hermione interjected, “A regular 100 pound Gorgon.”

“Karkaroff say she more like enraged veela vithout beauty and charm,” Viktor confided with a nostalgic grin. “He say he rather face Quidditch Association than her any day.”

“So he smoothed things over for you to return for your final year.”

“Even more, he make sure no vind of coming Trivizard Tournament get past valls of Durmstrang. Quidditch team vould have not liked me to risk their future by becoming contestant.” Magnetically, his eyes scrutinized Snape’s saturnine likeness once more. “But Karkaroff not have nerves of steel like your professor. He realize error of vays and vant to change, stay out of vizarding var entirely.”

Tiptoeing around the very private moments she had witnessed, Hermione expounded, “Snape endured a rather unhappy childhood and the mask he learned to assume served him well. Otherwise, his duplicity would have been rewarded with a prolonged and painful death.”

Viktor shuddered noticeably before changing the subject with determination. “Sean’s new friend, Teddy, he is son of heroes?”

Hermione pointed out the photo of Remus coordinating a training session that had been studiously staged to include all of them. The brightly colored spells and jinxes flashed intermittently amid a whirl of motion. “And his mother is there,” she added as she located a photo of Tonks from the recent dedication ceremony that showcased her Metamorphmagus abilities.

“So turquoise hair is not fault of bad stylist,” Viktor commented with a wry chuckle.

Joining in, Hermione quipped, “Just a misplaced sense of fashion, I’m afraid. You know how children are.”

“But Teddy’s parents do not share same last name. Not married?”

“Very much married, just not cleaving to conventional custom.”

Viktor nodded sagely. “Very vise. Media less likely to interfere vith scarcity of facts. You know Sean’s mother, Penny? She vas at Hogwarts, different year. Can’t remember name before marriage.”

“You’ve always been hopeless with names, Wronski! Her maiden name was Clearwater, Penelope Clearwater. She uses it as her professional name as well.”

“Naturally, she vould vant to minimize irrelevant ties reporters might vant to dredge up. I made suggestion.”

“Good advice. Also capitalizes on those who remember her from school. She was in Ravenclaw House, top of her year.”

“Vere you friends, then? I can’t imagine you not being at head of class, Vicky.”

“Believe it or not, I spent a number of months next to Penelope in hospital during my second year; she would have been a sixth year.”

“So much girl talk?”

“Virtually none.” Hermione laughed at the vagaries of life. “She and I had both been Petrified by an encounter with a basilisk and were awaiting an antidote to be brewed.”

“So close and still strangers!” Viktor doubled over with merriment at the absurd coincidence.

“At school she was Percy’s girlfriend,” Hermione supplied as she pointed out the photo hanging shoulder-to-shoulder with Snape’s. “Percy is my brother-in-law, Ron’s middle brother. Penny’s not really what I would call a stranger, either.”

“Good, so you come join Penny and Sean at Saturday’s Quidditch match.”

“I’m sure Ron will be there. He works for the Magical Games Department, you recall. They command a rather rowdy section of the stands.”

“Not sit vith commoners, Vicky. Come sit in skybox. Penny has privileges and she give extra skybox tickets, see? You have friends you can invite?”

“Well, yes,” Hermione stammered. “But I wouldn’t want to intrude upon Penny…”

“She’s been much too lonely lately and you practically family.”

“How do you figure that, Viktor?” Hermione looked him dead in the eye.

He shrugged nonchalantly. “Penny already invite Percy; Sean invite Teddy. Box belongs to me, too. I invite you and Ron and Harry. Anyone else you know? It’s not much fun to float among clouds vithout friends.”

Hermione considered briefly before supplying, “There’s Harry’s wife, Ginny. She’s a great Quidditch fan. And I’m sure Teddy’s parents and little sister would like to attend.”

“Then is date!” Viktor smiled broadly. “I take men to exclusive Quidditch pub aftervards. If ve vin, fans buy us drinks all night.”

“What if you lose?”

“Ve drown sorrows. See, is vin-vin situation.” At Hermione’s indecision, he soothed, “Vould you feel better if Penny sent owl to you directly?”

Hermione nodded as Viktor insisted she take the stadium passes with her. “It vill be all right. You must learn to trust Viktor. I not wronski about everything.”

“Come, let me show you the room where Sirius kept the renegade hippogriff,” Hermione whispered as she drew him past the velvet rope and up the final staircase. “It’s not really open to the public yet, but the curators are both close friends.”

“They keep hippogriff in townhouse?” Viktor whispered under his breath. “Must have taken true hero to face down cleaning lady.”

“The house elf was a bit senile.”

“Ah, that explain everything,” Viktor scoffed. “Then after, you show me other London landmarks, no? I spend vay too much time vith rest of team as is “ and none of them is my type!”






“Where did you take Krum?” Percy posed without preamble.

Taken aback by his directness, Hermione hesitated. “Sightseeing in London, just like you said. If there was a specific agenda, you should have briefed me.”

Percy shook his head, his lips a firm line too much like McGonagall’s for Hermione’s taste. “Please don’t think I’m accusing you of anything untoward, but the two of you were seen ducking into a Muggle taxicab. I barely managed to keep the photographer sent by Witch Weekly from snapping your picture.” He lowered his voice to a mere whisper. “It would be difficult to justify why you were both looking around so furtively.”

“To make sure we weren’t observed by anyone who would pose a threat to the Statute of Secrecy,” she shot back with more venom than she’d intended. “I managed to transfigure my cloak so I wouldn’t stand out.”

“No, I’m certain you fit right in. What do you call that type of coat? It seems so quintessentially British.”

“Burberry. They make understated styles for both men and women. I didn’t think Viktor’s black leather overcoat looked out of place.”

“Where does he come by Italian couture?” Percy inquired much to Hermione’s surprise. “You work with diplomats, you tend to notice those details.”

“His second wife remarried an Italian designer. Viktor is a walking billboard of sorts.”

“Why a Muggle taxi? You still haven’t told me where you went.”

Hermione sighed in frustration at the unexpected interrogation. “Does it really matter? London is a big city and Viktor wanted to go somewhere he could relax without having to worry about Quidditch fans.”

“Krum has been praising you rather lavishly to the Minister. My report will look suspicious if those details are omitted “ besides you need to submit an expense voucher.”

“When I told Viktor I had grown up in London, he insisted we visit some of the places I enjoyed as a child. Growing up as a Muggle, I wasn’t entirely certain of the proper Apparition points. There’s so much construction and road closures all over the place.”

“So the taxi was a necessary precaution to blend into Muggle society. Not a problem,” he noted with a reassuring smile as he made a small notation in his notepad. ”Did you just happen to have Muggle bank notes on hand?”

“No, but Viktor did. He confessed that melting away into Muggle crowds is something he does on a regular basis when he can’t take the celebrity anymore.”

“You let our diplomatic guest pay his own way?”

“It was only a few pounds, Percy. You can always reimburse him if your conscience bothers you that much; I assure you Viktor’s doesn’t. Besides, it would have been far worse if he had gotten caught in the rain, don’t you think?”

“You could have ducked under an awning or into a shop,” Percy countered stubbornly.

“Not in Hyde Park. That’s where we went first, although we just had the driver do the circuit when the rain started. We tried the British Museum next but the long queues of schoolchildren were rather off putting. It would have taken us an hour to get to the ticket booth. So we settled for someplace which appealed less to the standard British school system, the Tate Museum.”

“That’s the big, airy one with the giant Acromantula sculpture in the courtyard, right?”

“Viktor was convinced it was the work of a Squib,” Hermione chuckled at the memory. “ ‘A distant relative of Hagrid’s, no doubt,’ I replied.”

“Well, certainly not by Ron, at any rate,” Percy conceded with a wry chuckle of his own. “Please tell me Krum didn’t have to shell out more bills for museum admission.”

“My family has a membership,” Hermione explained. “Even allows you to bring guests once or twice a year.” She was so relieved she’d been able to recall the member number after all these years.

“Aren’t you restricted to certain days? For guests, that is.”

“My parents pay for the upgrade that doesn’t impose any such pointless restrictions.”

“Why the Tate? Modern art hardly seems like the kind of thing that would appeal to youngsters.”

“Is this going into your report as well?”

“Not necessarily. I was just curious, is all. I’ve never actually been there myself.”

“You’re wondering if you should take Penny.”

Percy blushed slightly at her acumen. “Let’s just say I want to know what I’m getting into. At my age, coming across as a total rube is not something women generally admire.”

Hermione offered him a gentle smile as she described the tall, vaulted ceilings and cavernous rooms that always made her feel insignificant as she walked in the footsteps of visionary giants. The hushed reverence that had everyone speaking in whispers invoked the atmosphere of a cathedral.

Krum had asked if her parents had explained the paintings to her as a child.

“Not really,” Hermione responded thoughtfully. “They taught me to appreciate even that which I did not understand in the hopes that with maturity, I would come to see.”

“So vat do you see, Vicky? Bright colors very engaging, lots of motion. Reminds me of child-like exuberance.”

“Art is such a personal thing,” she demurred.

“Particularly ven the subject is not clear,” Viktor joked, but she could see by his sharp eyes that he was nonetheless intrigued by the unfamiliar world opening up before him. “Now this, I recognize.”

Hermione caught up to where he had stopped to admire a tall abstract. “You’re familiar with Kandinsky, then?”

“Sure. Ve have Constantine Kandinsky that play on school team; two years younger than me.”

Hermione laughed at his devilry. “Perhaps it’s a relative. Did your school chum have a talent for art? Not that those things always run in families.”

Viktor shrugged playfully. “Art not part of curriculum at Durmstrang, but is possible. He vas certainly no Quidditch player, that for sure. Quaffle slip through hands like coated vith oil.”

“Or wet paint?” Hermione supplied as Viktor broke out in a deep belly laugh.

“Tell me vat you think of this modernistic art,” he urged in her ear. “I keep secret. Obviously, there’s no single right answer.”

“It was only after I went to Hogwarts that it came to me,” Hermione began. “But I knew I could never share it with my parents. These artists strained to picture that which they witnessed all around them. Not just visual sights, but emotions, fears, hopes, sounds, smells. Everything. They would just pour it into their canvases or whatever medium they were using. And somehow, the end result is magic.”

“Magical, you mean.”

Hermione shook her head emphatically. “No, I mean it just that way. Magic. In their hyper-perceptive state, these Muggles somehow felt the currents of magic that they were taught didn’t exist -- not to a rational mind, anyway. Abstract art is a way to portray that which they cannot name in words. Yet in their hearts, they could not deny its presence to a world who would think them mad.”

“Magic? It’s a wonderfully unique explanation,” acknowledged Percy as he brought Hermione’s thoughts to the present. “But I don’t think I can pass it off as mine. You have to have the passion behind it, you see. Penny would never buy it.”

“There are numerous art books providing tried and true explanations from the experts,” Hermione suggested. “No one would question you if you tucked one under your arm for reference. Make it a self-guided tutorial of sorts.”

Percy conceded that might be the best approach in his case. “Back to Krum for a moment. Did you go anyplace else, after the museum? You didn’t join the group at the Connaught.”

“Was that obligatory? Sorry if I mistook my instructions. I took Viktor to a nearby tea shop my parents always favored. The three sisters who run it are ever so pleasant and there’s always something to everyone’s liking. Dainty soups and salads for the ladies and hearty sandwiches and stews for the gents “ and meringue vol au vents that float in the very stratosphere!”

“A Muggle establishment? You didn’t happen to keep a copy of the--”

She pulled a neatly folded receipt from her dainty purse. “It’s all here. Not to worry, I used a Muggle bank card to pay for it so our guest was not inconvenienced. That was not an option with the taxi, you see. The three vodka negronis are Viktor’s; I just had the chamomile tea. We shared the assortment of sweet and savory pastries.”

Nodding his approval, Percy smoothed the receipt before he attached it to his clipboard. “I’ll get a conversion table from Gringotts. You don’t mind if the Ministry repays you in galleons, do you?”

“Not at all,” Hermione allowed. She’d just have to reconvert it into pounds when she repaid her mother, but that’s what she got for living in the wizarding world.

“By the way, Hermione, I can’t thank you enough for helping me out at the last minute like you did. I’ll make sure my report includes some mention of Krum’s eccentricity about mingling with Muggles. No one will give it a second thought; celebrities can have the most peculiar habits.”

Hermione accepted his thanks graciously, never mentioning that his own father, Arthur, could tell the diplomatic corps a thing or two about the hypnotic allure of the Muggle world. Too bad, really, that the man’s slack-jawed wonderment made it practically impossible to suggest a similar outing for him.
Nineteen: Quidditch Matters by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Nineteen
Quidditch Matters



It had rained the night before but Hermione had not expected to find the same thundercloud settled over Ron’s brow at breakfast.

“I’m glad you helped yourself to porridge,” she offered in a conciliatory tone. “I didn’t get to start the sausages before Eleanor demanded her bottle.”

“’sallright,” Ron mumbled through a mouthful of food, not looking up from the Quidditch scores. “I managed to cook them without charring the outsides too badly myself. The pan’s over on the stove.”

“Ron…” she began, then hesitated when she caught the belligerent set to his jaw.

“Is Eleanor ready?” he demanded gruffly, the sound of his chair screeching loudly in the overly quiet kitchen.

“I packed her a small bag last night, but I thought I’d give her some cereal first.”

“Mum will take care of that. You wouldn’t want to deprive her of the privilege.” Ron was still not meeting her eyes as he Summoned the baby satchel and carefully hoisted the dozing pink buddle on his shoulder. Without another word, father and daughter disappeared in whoosh of green Floo Powder.

Hermione sighed as she tied her dressing gown more tightly around her nightclothes before sitting down at the table. Tea poured itself into her mug as she absently spread butter and jam on the crumpets still warm from a heating spell. Ron would tell her soon enough what had gotten him into a snit -- after he partook of a second breakfast at the Burrow.

Savoring a few minutes to herself, she added some sausages to her plate as she smoothed out the Daily Prophet before her. As expected, the opening of the Riddle House Historic Site was still dominating the news. Parallel photos contrasted the renovated portion of the house with the foreboding front stoop. Her eyes scanned the page until she found the article she sought.

Visitors Declare Site to be Disturbing,

Mull over Evil Overtones for Hours


In what Preservation Site Curator, Penelope Clearwater, will consider a marketing coup, visitors to the newly inaugurated site emerged white-faced and shaking as they took their leave. What exactly had the public so perturbed, yet clearly intrigued? This reporter was determined to find out first-hand.


Hermione skimmed the next paragraphs until she found the description of the tour’s climatic encounter in the desolate graveyard.

It was eerily quiet, no sound of birdsong from the nearby woodlands dared to penetrate this deeply into the heart of pure evil. In hushed whispers, the assembled guests commented among themselves about the stark sign that had been posted at the rusted gates: a warning to pregnant women and those suffering from heart problems or any anxiety disorders.


Obviously Penny had taken a page from the Muggle amusement parks she had visited in her childhood, Hermione commented to herself with a small smile.

Were we to see a recreation of the fabled Priori Incantatem phenomenon that had caught the former Dark Lord unprepared not once, but twice? Rumor was that it had proven to be an impossible task. Perhaps a re-enactment with high-technology lights then. Muggles were known to employ such methods to recreate magic in their cinematic industry.

But the seconds ticked by like molasses in an hour-glass, our tour guide looking more and more nervously about her as if calculating how to compensate for a technical malfunction. A small icy breeze kicked up its heels as a cloud obscured the feeble February sun right on cue. Laughter, demonic and maniacal, could be distinguished among the preternatural stillness. Very softly, it came from all directions at once. We looked around with a unique mix of wildly unsettling anticipation and hearts pounding in our ears. A pinpoint of red light danced across our faces, then shoulders, then lower to our ribcages where it lingered as if undecided.

In an instant, it was done! One among the crowd had collapsed in a tangled heap among the tall, unkempt grass. In alarm, our tour guide called out as assistance poured forth from the nearby caretaker’s cottage and from the main house atop the hill. With practiced efficiency, the stricken spectator was Enervated and he hobbled unsteadily back towards the gate, leaning heavily upon his rescuer’s shoulder. Would he receive free admittance to another performance or some other form of recompense, I wondered?

Catching our darting eyes, the tour guide began in a tremulous voice, “And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what greeted young Harry Potter when he was unceremoniously transported into the Riddle graveyard so many years ago. The excitement from having reached the finish line of the Triwizard Tournament turning to ice in his veins as his dead teammate tumbled to the ground at his feet…”


Score one for Penelope, Hermione thought as she turned the page, seeking out anything about Umbridge’s vexatious visit. Buried near the end of the article’s continuation, she found it.

“Dearie me,” Dolores Umbridge uttered with a small flutter of her eyelids. “Is this what a Muggle fun house is like? Can’t say I much care for the sensation. They’ll be needing to pass out smelling salts at the door before long. Why my friend, Matilda, nearly swooned. Didn’t you, Mattie?”

“I was just surprised,” Matilda Cunningham attested with a dismissive wave of her hand. “It’s not like I have a weak heart or anything.”

With a contemptuous sniff, Ms. Umbridge scoffed, “Why it’s like Euro-Disney without the exorbitant price tag! No wonder the French were offended by the crassness of the whole operation.”


Briefly, Hermione wondered what the French Minister for Magic would have to say when he read Umbridge’s comments. If Penny was lucky, he’d send a whole contingent over to investigate. Perhaps Viktor was right; you couldn’t buy publicity like this.

Turning the page, her breath caught in her throat. There in full color was the lavish spread in the War Museum solarium, the guests flitting to and fro with the bright plumage of birds in a gilded cage. On the far right, Viktor could be seen pulling her into the basement of the townhouse. No wonder Ron had been incensed! Feverishly, she scanned the copy but there was nothing but a short caption identifying that the visiting Bulgarian Quidditch team had been treated to a day of sightseeing by the Magical Games Department before settling down to their grueling practice schedule in preparation for Saturday’s highly anticipated match.

Well, at least Rita Skeeter had moved on to greener pastures after being revealed as an unregistered Animagus. Azkaban might have been preferable to the lawsuits she would have faced from disgruntled victims once the information was made public. In a rare show of good sense, the Wizengamot had agreed to waive the crippling penalties and deport her instead. Rumor was she had fled to America and was hiding among the Muggles. Hermione was convinced the unscrupulous woman could start a whole new career if she sought employment with some right-wing pundit.

After much searching, Hermione found a small snippet announcing that official word from the Bulgarian team’s spokesman indicated that Quidditch heart-throb, Viktor Krum, would soon be casting his eye among the eligible young ladies once again. After just six months of marriage and a much touted two-month long honeymoon, his third wife indicated they would be working out a settlement to go their separate ways.

The sound of shuffling followed by an affronted string of expletives announced that Ron had returned via the Floo. “Brain dead, I am!” he fussed as he tossed the offending andiron into the hearth where it clanged viciously in reply. “Should have just Apparated to the back porch!”

Hermione leapt from her chair in concern as Ron stumbled into the kitchen, coughing up great clouds of emerald smoke. “What happened?”

“Nearly propelled myself to Singapore, is what! Too much extra powder in the hearth from Victoire’s meaty little fist. Collects in the corners innocently until some non-suspecting berk comes along and pow! It’s Guy Fawkes Day all over again!”

Hermione stifled a giggle into her hand as Ron shot her a baleful glare.

“Why don’t you go upstairs and shower?” she suggested. “If I try to Vanish it from you, it’s just going to become airborne again and set us both to sneezing.”

“It would serve you right!” he shot back, pointing his wand at the open newspaper and neatly causing it to burst into flames. “Isn’t that what Muggles do on Guy Fawkes Day? Burn effigies?”

Hermione took a few steps back, suddenly uncertain whether his anger would lead him to train his wand on her next. With mock bravado, she posed, “If you’re intent on dueling this morning, at least be a sport and Summon my wand from upstairs.”

“You left your wand upstairs? That’s what Harry’s mum did when Voldemort knocked down their door. Have you taken total leave of your senses?”

“We’re not exactly at war.”

“No? How long do you think it will be before autograph seekers find us?”

“I’ll render the house Unplottable!”

“Requires a permit from the Ministry! You have a thousand galleons to spare on such a whim?”

“Make Percy pay it then. It’s all his bloody fault! I was just trying to do him--” Her voice caught in her throat as she dropped into the nearest chair, the fight leaving her totally.

“A favor, I know,” Ron returned hollowly. He turned eyes red with misery in her direction. “Is this what you want? Him?”

“What would ever make you think such a thing?”

“I’m sorry, did I burn the bloody rag before you had a chance to see how you were immortalized for the entire world to see? It looks like you’re sneaking off to--”

“TO WHAT, RON? If you’re not too much of a gentleman to think it, then you shouldn’t be afraid to say it to my face!”

“Is it true then?” His voice was that of a small boy lost in the woods by himself.

If only he had the soundtrack to go with the moving picture, he wouldn’t be worried in the least. With a deep sigh, Hermione affirmed, “I’ve never wanted Viktor, not even when he asked me to the Yule Ball all those years ago.”

“Then why did you accept?”

“Because I wanted to go and there was no guarantee you would ever figure out that I wanted to go with you!” She took a moment to calm herself before she continued, “But there’s never been anything romantic between Viktor and me. There’s absolutely no possibility of that. Viktor’s gay, Ron.” She made a mental note to apologize to Viktor next chance she got.

“Look, I know I’m not always in the best of spirits when I get home from shuffling papers at the Ministry.”

What the…? Try a different tack, she reminded herself. “That’s not what I meant exactly. Viktor’s in the closet, see. And he’s not certain he’ll ever be able to face the world if he comes out.”

“Now you’re just not making sense, Hermione. Is this some twisted pun about those couples who used to frequent the broom cupboards at Hogwarts? Because I never…”

She shook her head to clear the cobwebs; perhaps wizards used a different euphemism. “Remember that lame joke Tonks makes about her mother’s closets?” She waited patiently for the confusion to slowly drain from Ron’s face as realization settled in its place.

“Really, Hermione, how long have you lived among wizards now? The preferred expression is that he flies for the other team.”

“Well, considering the man’s a Quidditch player, don’t you think that might have been a tad confusing?”

“What? Do you think I’m such an imbecile I might think he was being traded to the Cairo Cockatrices?”

“There’s no such team. You forget I was there when you and Harry came up with the outrageous team names. Don’t forget the Bolivian Buggers!”

“That’s the Bolivian Boggarts,” he corrected her.

“Is it? You tell me.”

“But I saw you…the two of you… the rose garden…at the Yule Ball…”

She’d always suspected it by the explosion that had capped off the evening’s festivities. But there was no point in irritating Ron any longer. With utmost patience, she explained, “Viktor had convinced himself he was a late bloomer back then. It was years later before he finally reconciled himself to the truth. But it’s hardly something he wants the whole of wizardom to know.”

“Krum’s been married three times already,” Ron countered.

“A mutually beneficial contract, I’m sure. Why do you think he always proposes at the foot of the obelisk in the Place de la Concorde?”

“I read that same article in Which Broomstick. Girls like those overly romantic gestures.”

“Perhaps. But I guarantee you the deeper significance is there as well. He told me so himself. And as that photo that soooo irritated you was taken, I was telling him that he owed it to his own peace of mind to come clean. To seek someone who could really make him happy. To seek out other men. Can I put it in any plainer language?”

“I just can’t bear the thought that you might leave me “ and Eleanor,” Ron mumbled into his navel.

Hermione was uncertain how to respond to the raw agony in her husband’s voice. In the tone that soothed Eleanor to sleep each night, she admitted, “I would be nothing without you. Why would I want to throw happiness away with both hands?”

“It doesn’t make any sense, I know…”

“What’s that you’ve got under your arm?” Hermione inquired as she caught sight of the long blue box clutched at Ron’s side.

Ron shrugged self-consciously. “A birthday present.” He wiped the lid, leaving a long green smear on his trouser leg before he set the box gingerly on the table.

“But your birthday isn’t for another week!”

“It’s from Penny, she wasn’t sure she’d get another opportunity…You can read the note if you want.”

“So Penny’s already at the Burrow?”

“No, she’s still set to meet everyone at Bodmin Moor, right outside the Quidditch grounds. Percy shoved it into my hands as I was leaving. I think he was looking for an excuse to berate me without Mum overhearing.”

Instantly on alert, Hermione prompted, “So what did he say to you?”

“That I was not to take my ungrounded, childish suspicions out on you. That Krum didn’t feel he could relax in the presence of strangers.”

“Did you doubt his words?”

“Not really. I can’t help mucking things up when it comes to you; it was the same at Hogwarts.”

Hermione smiled gently in response to the turmoil still lurking in his eyes. “You managed to get things right in the end,” she attested as she wrapped her arms around his waist.

He drew her tight as he rested his chin on her forehead. “I was so clueless, you know. Couldn’t fathom why my friendship with you felt so different than with Harry. You had things figured out so well, you should have just asked me to be your date.”

“And then what? You saw how well that worked when I tried to invite you to Slughorn’s Christmas party.” She giggled into his shirt only to find her nose itching from the surplus Floo Powder. “Should I have used the Imperius Curse to make you see reason?”

“I’m such a hopeless case, Hermione. I never knew why you stuck by me anyway.”

So that’s why he was so certain she would trade him in for another, she concluded. Not so much jealousy as crushing insecurity. “Because I love you. It’s as simple as that.”

“I’d be lost without you,” he admitted throatily as he pulled her into his lap, nearly upsetting the kitchen chair in the process.

Only her fingers clutching the lip of the table kept them from tumbling onto the floor. There before her straining knuckles, the long box beckoned. She carefully removed the lid to keep out any of the sparkly dust. Inside was a hand-painted tie depicting a winged grey cat hovering over flickering flames. Despite the artist’s whimsical style, she could almost feel the heat of the fire as the cat flapped its wings languidly.

“It’s a player’s tie from the Hellsinki Hellcats,” Ron explained. “Percy mentioned I wore Quidditch ties to work on a regular basis.”

“But this is valuable…Not the sort of thing one could buy.”

“Specially commissioned for the World Cup three years ago. Only the players themselves were issued this design.”

“Then it should by rights belong to Sean,” Hermione demurred as she turned to look imploringly into Ron’s face.

“I thought so, too, but she addressed that in her note.” He pointed out the phrase with his index finger.

Now before you go protesting that this is a family heirloom, please realize that each player was issued two ties. A necessary precaution seeing as silk seems to magnetically attract gravy stains and beer splatters. This one was still sealed in its original packaging so I hope you will put it to good use. Umbriel would be proud to know that it was going to such a long-time fan “ even if you put your misguided faith in the Chudley Canons for so long.


“You should wear it to the match today,” Hermione maintained. “If you can stand to share the same air with Viktor, that is.”

“I think I’ll manage,” Ron breathed as he nuzzled her ear. “But I really should hose all these sparkles off first. Wouldn’t want them to think I was impersonating a Christmas tree.”

“A bit late in the season for that,” Hermione agreed as she traced the pale green outline of Ron’s fingers on her white terry robe. “Race you to the shower!” she dared as she dashed like a spooked rabbit up the stairs.

Ron just shook his head as a goofy grin extended from ear to ear. With a quick flick of his wand, he Disapparated to the floor above, his fingers already fumbling with the buttons on his shirt.








Quidditch had always reminded Hermione of a medieval joust, riders astride broomsticks instead of muscle and sinew. The sharp snapping of the pennants and scarves just like standard banners bearing the competitors’ coat of arms. The fairy tale encampment which had encircled the World Cup festivities was still vivid in her mind so many years later.

Today, she had been accorded royal status as Penelope was guaranteed one of the small private boxes that ringed the stadium. It was not as expansive as the Minister’s box, to be sure, nor was there a bar stocked with all manner of exotic food and drink. But there had been no restrictions on bringing private hampers of their own; no burly guard on the other side of their private gate riffled through their purses and belongings as was the general rule in professional sports arenas. The rowdiness of the crowds was still there below them, but the children were able to savor it without being part of a heady stampede.

Down in the very front, leaning precariously over the safety glass, Sean was avidly explaining the rules to Teddy who was showing himself to be a quick study. Tonks had prudently avoided taking a seat so close to the precipice as Phoebe stationed herself in the aisle and pointed out the various things she wished her mother to explain, too impatient to wait for the answers to arise as part of Sean’s narrative. The Quidditch faithful, Ron, Ginny and Harry, were in their own tight knot, deep in conversation about the merits of each team and probably laying a few minor wagers among themselves, if she knew the Weasleys. Amid all the pre-game chaos, Percy had found a small oasis in the middle row and was laughing merrily at some story Penelope was relating as she kept an eye on Sean.

As the trumpet fanfare announced the beginning of the match, Hermione watched Viktor take to the heights as Seeker for the Bulgarian team. Proudly portraying a traditional red dragon on a field of white and green, the Welsh team was easily distinguished among the red and black of their heavily favored adversaries. It was soothing to view the game as the players did instead of craning her neck and searching the skies with Omnioculars, Hermione decided.

So lost was she in her pleasant daydream that she failed to notice Remus’ approach to the topmost tier until he handed her a tall flute of champagne.

Settling himself comfortably next to her, he commented, “Percy got Fortnum & Mason to prepare the hampers today; a sort of recompense for all the Ministry business he’s sent their way through the years. I doubt even Penny is used to such largesse.”

“He’s doing his best to impress her,” Hermione added with a breathy laugh. “Say, aren’t they a Muggle firm?”

Remus shrugged. “I suppose it doesn’t much matter if they just deliver the goods and leave the Ministry personnel to arrange it.”

“Is that how it’s done?”

“You’ll have to ask Percy. I’ve never much considered it one way or the other. Tell me what has you so lost in thought.”

“Nothing really,” Hermione admitted, not wanting Remus to think her a romantic fool. “Do you think I’m being antisocial?”

“Not necessarily, but I thought you might like a bit of company.”

“What about Tonks?”

“She’s hardly alone. Not with Phoebe’s endless string of questions.” He took a long swallow of champagne before turning to face her. “You seemed so lost in thought and it made me curious, if you want to know the truth of it.”

Hermione’s laugh rang out as she shook her head sheepishly. “I just don’t need to see the whites of their eyes to enjoy the game.”

“I quite agree,” Remus confided. “But you know children…well, you know how they are. Those two are making the most of their bird’s eye view.”

With the critical eye of a new parent, Hermione noted how Remus' choice of seat allowed a wide angle view of the skybox’s interior, permitting him to keep subtle watch on both his children at once.

“There’s a reason I’m so partial to otters,” Hermione remarked with a slight wince.

“Really?” His exaggerated show of curiosity urged her to elaborate.

“They’re basically land animals.”

Remus chuckled in response. “Aquatic, too. Buoyant like little lifeboats in the current.”

“But not a single one floats among the clouds!” The gentle smile in his eyes convinced her to return to the issue she had side-stepped earlier. “I’ve never been an avid sports fanatic, so I had to find a special niche for Quidditch is all.”

“So afraid I won’t understand? My best mates played on the team as well. Glad to see my duties as Gryffindor’s official bench warmer were passed on to a worthy successor.”

Hermione laughed outright as she allowed the chilled bubbles to slide deliciously down her throat. She’d often wondered why Sirius had been the most popular of the Marauders, especially when Remus was so easy to talk to. Laying her reservations aside, she described her unique slant. “Now you’re going to think me a complete girly-girl,” she added at the end.

“Don’t forget that Ivanhoe was penned by a man. But I can see why you’d come to think of Ron as a brave knight on the Quidditch pitch. If nothing else, your subconscious would have catalogued the Arthurian slant to so many of the Weasley names. So we know he’s not Percival…”

“Or Guinevere,” Hermione interjected wryly, causing Remus to nearly choke on his champagne.

“So I suspect Lancelot’s out, then?” Remus barely managed.

Hermione tilted her head in consideration. “Recalling his unique posture when defending the goal posts, I’d say perhaps Don Quixote.”

Remus laughed heartily. “Who’s Sancho Panza, then? You?”

“I don’t know about that, but the cantankerous mule is definitely Lavender Brown!”

Recalling the tales he’d heard about Ron’s misguided attempts to make Hermione jealous, Remus couldn’t help but respond, “That’s illegal in the British Isles. Laws protect innocent farm animals from the prurient desires of farmers, shepherds or whatever.”

His irreverence was contagious as she barely caught herself from snidely suggesting that such a law put Animagi in limbo. Her merriment plummeted with a dull thud as it hit her that this was exactly the untenable situation werewolves faced on a daily basis. Not that Remus was above laughing at himself, not among his close friends, but it was clear by the bags under his eyes that he’d been losing sleep again. He had seemed so rejuvenated over Christmas, too.

Before she had time to reconsider, the words were slipping out of their own accord. “Please forgive me for being intrusive, but has Phoebe been sleepwalking again?”

He smiled wanly. “Hopefully, that will turn out to be an isolated incident.” Showing that he understood her unspoken concerns, he supplied, “Kingsley seems to think we may not have heard the last about that book and its damnable author. Rumbles more than anything at this point. But the permits will have to come across his desk if they intend to do a remote interview from Azkaban. That was the one fact he was able to ascertain from the scheming agent: the author is already doing time for his previous sins.”

“Probably accounts for the lack of restraint in his words. Feels he can’t be incarcerated twice.”

Remus’ look was so piercing she felt an actual chill. “If he murdered someone, then execution is mandated by law. It’s what laws demand be done with animals which cannot be controlled. Need I remind you of poor Buckbeak?”

Hermione squared her chin defiantly. “We saved Buckbeak. Sirius, too.”

“So the three of you were incredibly lucky. I don’t want to depend on luck to get me by, Hermione. It’s worse than being dependent upon the mercy of others.”






At Sean’s insistence, Penny moved down to the front railing as Viktor took a dizzying dive to within a dozen yards of the ground. The Welsh Seeker tried to follow, but broke off uncertainly. The crowd went wild for the signature Wronski Feint, a move which had hospitalized more Quidditch players in the last decade than any other. But true to its name, it was just a bit of grandstanding by the Bulgarians and the crowd grumbled in disappointment that the Golden Snitch was being particularly elusive.

Percy took the opportunity to gaze at his assembled friends. Tonks was cuddling Phoebe on her shoulder as the child’s delicate features relaxed into the heedless slumber of childhood. Harry and Ginny had taken adjoining seats and were avidly discussing the game amid Tonks’ regular interjections. Ron was still at the front, sharing some joke with Sean as Penny looked on in approval. A small smile danced upon her lips as she admired how the deep blue Hellcats tie coordinated with the lighter shade of Ron’s chambray shirt.

A few rows behind him, Remus and Hermione were deep in conversation, their brows furrowed with intensity. Not that it surprised Percy; he’d always known those two favored intellectual pursuits over sports any day. Not that he wasn’t more like them than he’d care to admit. It had been what had attracted him to Penny’s unique combination of fun-loving smiles and serious dedication to her studies. Not wanting to eavesdrop, he studiously turned his back after levitating a half full bottle and watching Remus catch it deftly by the neck.

The players buzzed like incessant bees on the other side of the glass partition as Percy joined Penny at the railing, his heart thumping as he took a long measure of the distance to the ground below.

“Not a born Quidditch player?” Penny whispered, her breath grazing the delicate hairs at the back of his neck.

“We don’t fly quite this high over the meadow adjoining the Burrow,” he admitted with a small shiver. “Keeps us from getting small birds caught in our teeth!”

She giggled appreciatively at his lame attempt at humor. Then in the next instant, her eyes were drawn magnetically to the aerial display before them.

Once again, Krum took to the heights and then plummeted like a falcon intent on its prey. The crowd went wild, but their box was close enough to where the Welsh Seeker hovered to see his annoyed expression. Belatedly, the man caught the flash of gold weaving near the sidelines. Instantly on alert, he zoomed across the pitch diagonally, doing his best to maneuver around the players and dodge an errant Bludger or two. He would have made it had not the Bulgarian Chasers casually passed the Quaffle to one another in his immediate path. It was just enough to make him lose concentration as he slowed to avoid a three-way collision.

In the next instant, Krum hung sideways from his broom as if to scoop up a waiting maiden onto his stead, then swooped to the heights in a looping spiral. It took the spectators a few breathless moments to notice he held the struggling Snitch before him. Surging to their feet in an enthusiastic display, the audience roared its approval as Bulgaria won the match 210 to 120.

“Can we go down to the field to congratulate the players?” Sean urged his mother excitedly.

“Not this time,” she assured him with a smile. “Viktor promised he would join us up here. You know how he hates crowds.”







Percy saw to it that everyone had a full glass to toast the conquering hero when Krum stepped diffidently through the side door into the skybox. With wide grins, the children raised glasses filled with sparkling pumpkin juice.

Viktor graciously accepted the bottle levitated towards him and upended the last few inches in the bottom to rousing cheers. He was caught short, however, when the dark green bottle sparkled with rising bubbles as it refilled itself automatically. “Somevon handy vith charm to regenerate champagne. Does not quality suffer?”

Percy nodded sagely as he accepted the bottle and passed it into waiting hands behind him. “True,” he admitted, “but a necessary skill at Ministry functions. No one seems to notice after the third or fourth glass anyway.”

Krum laughed heartily, adding, “But riot is avoided nonetheless!”

“Why is your hair still wet?” Sean scrunched up his face as Viktor caught him up in a congratulatory hug.

“Not have time to wrestle hair dryer from prima donnas who have dates,” Viktor confided to much laughter. “Besides whirling action from Portkey suck moisture right out of short hair, you see.”

“Is that how you’re traveling?” Penny inquired.

“Can’t just Apparate like normal vizards. Not to Unplottable location,” Viktor stressed.

Teddy wriggled free from his mother’s side and caught Viktor’s sleeve to commandeer his attention. “If I may, I have a question.” At Viktor’s open expression, he continued, “How do you get to a pub that’s in an invisible marsh?”

“Unknowable, actually,” Viktor corrected automatically. “But is basically same thing.”

“It would be to a Muggle,” Hermione observed from her seat. “But I have to say I’m intrigued myself. Too many hangers on to just do a Side-Along.”

As Teddy turned an eager face in Viktor’s direction, Remus felt the need to supply, “I’m afraid my son is one of those children who are curious about the inner workings of everything “ magic included.”

With a generous smile, Viktor expounded, “Ve have special Portkey. See?” He rummaged in his pocket. “No need to be afraid, not activated yet.”

With a skeptical look, Ron gazed over Sean’s shoulder at the discarded bottle cap. “And how precisely are all of us going to touch that at once?”

“Vat, you not learn Enlargement Charm?” Then with a self-deprecating smirk directed at Hermione, Viktor added, “All athletes use it on ego “ or so I’ve been told.”

Amid the boisterous laughter, Harry took the opportunity to shake Viktor’s hand in congratulations for a good game.

“Almost forgot, I von vager today, too,” Viktor volunteered with an unabashed grin, draping colored game ties around Ron’s and Harry’s necks. As Harry examined the rampaging red dragon amid a field of white and green, Viktor supplied, “Courtesy of your old friend, Oliver Vood. His excellent blocking prevented many goals by teammates, but not keep me from catching Snitch.”

“I thought Wood played for Puddlemere United,” Ron spoke up.

“Got tired of second string,” Viktor observed.

“Wales was smart to offer him a better deal,” Ginny acknowledged.

“Oliver was pretty passionate about practices when he captained the Gryffindor team during my first and second years,” Harry supplied.

“Funny, that,” Ron interjected. “I recall adjectives such as ‘demented’ and ‘obsessive’ as you scraped the layers of mud from your practice clothes!”

Amid much laughter, Harry retaliated with, “That’s nothing compared to the things they said about Ginny.”

“Ginny?” Viktor echoed with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah,” Harry explained. “I resigned my captaincy after my sixth year so I could devote myself to whatever the future might hold. Ginny took over.”

“Such beautiful and scintillating captain must join team celebration then,” Viktor insisted. “You not intimidated by bunch of rowdy broom-jockeys?”

“Considering the variety of gits I grew up with in my own house?” Ginny scoffed. “Hardly.”

“What about me?” Sean implored as he shouldered his way to stand before Viktor. “If it’s an outing for men, I should be included.”

Diplomatically, Percy amended, “Not that he begrudges Ginny, mind you.”

“And Teddy, too!” Sean insisted plaintively.

“Now, boys,” Penny interceded gently. “This is for Quidditch players only.”

“But I want to learn, Mum!” Sean demanded. “You told me Durmstrang sponsors a team for younger players.”

“They do?” Teddy inquired with great interest.

“It’s only for children of alumni,” Penny explained. “There’s still the issue of the secret location they’re unlikely to reveal to me. We went over this before, Sean.”

“I know….” Sean’s voice trailed off dispassionately.

“And as Sean’s godfather, I still maintain I’m perfectly happy to take him myself,” Viktor interceded as Sean’s face lit up with hope.

“We’ll see,” Penny allowed. “But that’s a discussion for a different day. As of today, neither you nor Teddy are bona fide Quidditch players.”

“Besides, Spook, it’s a long-standing rule in pubs: you have to be tall enough to see over the bar,” Remus noted.

“Otherwise, you’re just taking up valuable real estate,” Tonks added with a wry grin.

Harry held up his hand at the appropriate level so Sean could see that his eyebrows still fell a few inches short of the mark.

At the glum expressions, Remus appeased, “I’m not a Quidditch player, either.”

“Nor am I,” Percy attested.

Catching Ron gazing quizzically at the predominantly red tie draped around his neck, Viktor supplied, “Ve change mascot as it remind everyone too much of oppressive Muggle government recently overthrown.”

“It’s a nice Gryffindor red,” Ron replied.

“Is thestral. Just hold up to candlelight, you see,” Viktor breathed.

As Ginny supplied the glow from her wand tip, they could see a vague outline of the dark skeletal body and protuberant pale eyes. “Why is it a secret?” she whispered back.

As Sean and Teddy were still taking turns measuring how long it would be before they could catch the bartender’s eye, Viktor elaborated out of the corner of his mouth, “Thestrals sore subject. Penny vas justifiably upset ven she discover Sean could see them, too, even though he vas only four at time.” In a clear, jovial tone, Viktor announced to the group at large, “Too many people begging off today.”

“It’s best if we take the children home,” Tonks demurred.

“Another time for sure,” Remus seconded as he hoisted the still drowsy Phoebe on his shoulder to relieve his wife.

“Team vill think Viktor has no friends. Truly, it not necessary to be part of official team; backyard Quidditch players still velcome.”

“What about Fred and George?” Hermione pointed out. “They were both Beaters for Gryffindor.”

“If it’s all right with Viktor,” Harry proposed. “I’ll just send them a message.”

“You bring owl in hamper?” Viktor laughed heartily.

“Better even,” Ginny supplied as she checked Harry’s watch and concluded it was near enough to closing time at the shops.

Quickly composing the message Viktor supplied, Harry sent a silvery stag Patronus on its way to Fred while Ginny’s fire lizard was dispatched to George.

Viktor was clearly in awe of their ingenuity. “Patronus can be used like carrier pigeon?”

“Think of this as an upgraded version,” Percy claimed wholeheartedly. “There can be no mistake about who sent the message, either.”

“Something we perfected in wartime,” Remus clarified as he and Tonks said their goodbyes all around.

“Thanks so much for satisfying Teddy’s curiosity,” Tonks offered as she gently ushered Teddy and Remus towards the magical lift leading to the ground floor.

“He would have kept us up all night looking through Harry’s Quidditch books otherwise,” Remus attested as he waved one final time.

“It will be a few minutes before we hear back from the twins,” Ron advised.

“Then you must teach me Patronus, no?” Viktor beseeched the others. “Surely a Quidditch player have mighty eagle or other bird of prey.”

“Already taken, I’m afraid,” Harry supplied as he thought of the Snapes.

“Don’t be so smug,” Penny teased. “I doubt there are enough flying beasts to supply all the Quidditch teams.”

“Perhaps you’ll be something truly exotic like Remus’ giraffe,” Ginny urged.

“I vould be proud to have fire lizard,” Viktor insisted. “Perhaps dragon?”

“Perhaps a flamingo in your case,” Hermione scoffed merrily.

“Or a canary,” Penny opined with a sardonic smirk.

Harry shook his head with mock solemnity. “Nice try, but one of the girls I trained at Hogwarts already claimed that one.”

“She was a dainty thing herself,” Ron improvised, even though he had not been present.

“Now the most important thing is to think of a happy memory,” Hermione began as she attempted to lead Viktor through the process.

Viktor’s first triumph with silvery smoke was interrupted by a wispy chimpanzee that swung its way across the ceiling beams of the skybox. In Fred’s voice, it declared, “What a brilliant invitation! Won’t be more than twenty minutes, at most. Sure hope you remembered to send my better half a separate message. He’s at the Hogsmeade shop still dealing with the aftermath of the St. Valentine’s Day massacre.”

“I don’t remember we were that bad during our Hogsmeade visits,” Hermione objected.

“Like a pack of rabid hyenas,” Ron affirmed as Harry nodded.

Their attention was diverted by the chattering of a long-tailed monkey which coalesced not far from the fading chimpanzee. “Capital idea!” George’s voice intoned “ although, truth be told, it sounded just like Fred to anyone other than Ginny or Ron. “You did warn my headstrong counterpart that without a proper ticket, he won’t be able to see anything other than the ruins of a Roman amphitheatre? I’ll be sure to chide him into being a proper Muggle until the lot of you arrive.”

“See how the similarity in their Patronuses emphasizes that they’re twins,” Hermione remarked.

“Trust me,” Harry confided, “the monkeys are much easier to tell apart than Fred and George.”

“Especially when you consider that a chimpanzee is an ape,” Hermione muttered under her breath.

Much to everyone’s delight, Viktor’s Patronus turned out to be a regal pelican whose very walk echoed the infamous figurine Ron had purchased at the World Cup.

“And I was so certain it would turn out to be an albatross,” Harry joked.

“I think Viktor should be honored with a pelican,” Hermione defended. “It’s like my otter who’s cumbersome on the ground, but streamlined in its own element.”

“That’s true,” Percy expounded. “Pelicans are exceptional hunters who dive from great heights to capture fish underwater.”






“I’m surprised you didn’t accompany the others,” Tonks noted as she cuddled up next to Remus on the sofa. “You and Harry usually stick together.”

Remus looked up from the volume of French poems he was reading. “A rowdy Quidditch pub? Hardly my style, cherub. Couldn’t hear myself over the raucous laughter and clunking of glasses on hard surfaces.”

She allowed her eyes to skim over his face so he wouldn’t see how worried she was about him. Even after all these years of marriage, Remus was still prone to long, brooding silences at times. He often tried to pass it off as nothing more than a philosophical mood, which was true to some extent; but Tonks could distinguish when it was worry and not just a new idea that was eating away at him.

With the small smile she reserved just for him, she teased, “You just didn’t want to have to explain to Teddy why he was being excluded from socializing with the men yet again.”

“Did you?” he shot back. “Spook’s arguments get more imaginative and persuasive every day. I believe he’d fearlessly debate the Angel of Death himself if he thought he’d get his own way!”

“And this is different from his father in what way?”

“You think my parents had to endure much the same, don’t you?” Remus retorted with a sharp laugh.

“My mum certainly says the same about their trouble-making skills. Claims we only make it worse by laughing.”

“Rather hard to look down your nose at them when the laughter’s bubbling up inside,” Remus countered. “That only works for people who have no sense of humor like Snape.”

“Severus has a sense of humor. You, more than anyone, can attest to that.”

“Not when it comes to children.”

“Perhaps not, but I really think it’s just lack of practice. After all, he claims he was never a child himself,” Tonks quipped.

“He said this to you personally?”

“To a group of Hufflepuffs. Only made them laugh harder when they shared it with me.”

“Unlike Snape, I can’t school my thoughts in such a hypocritical manner. I know, for a fact, that Teddy’s ability for mischief is part of the Marauders’ legacy.”

“You’re thinking of all the little ways in which Mr. Filch got under your skin when you were a lad, aren’t you?”

“He still does, cherub. If he’d only laugh along with the students, they’d be less likely to prank him all the time.” Remus summoned a goblet from the sideboard and filled it from the decanter at his elbow. Handing it to her, he added in a soft intimate growl, “As to the other, who could resist a quiet evening at home with his wife? Especially since Viktor insisted Ginny join them when he found out she was a serious Quidditch player.”

“Harry and Ginny are just as likely to repair to their own room “ before the dessert even,” Tonks giggled. She stopped Remus when he lifted his wand to dim the lights in the wall brackets. “The children may be playing quietly in their rooms, but they’re still awake.”

“But you made sure they changed into their pajamas, right?” As Tonks nodded, Remus attested, “Then after all the excitement today they’ll be climbing into their beds before long.”

“They might need me to tuck them in,” Tonks observed.

“Perhaps not since Teddy found out that Sean just turns the lights out himself. He already asked me to show him how to do it magically, although I doubt he’s up to it without a wand.”

“You think Phoebe will just follow his lead.”

“Wouldn’t you, if that’s what it took to demonstrate you were just as able-bodied as your brother?”

Tonks conceded that he might have a point. “Perhaps, I’ll have Dobby check on them in another fifteen minutes just to be sure. In the meanwhile, you keep your hands to yourself, Mr. Lupin. I don’t want to have to explain to either one of them why their father is just as randy as the school boys we often encounter in the halls!”

Remus threw his head back and laughed, easing the lines of worry from around his eyes. With a crooked grin, he playfully nudged her with his hip. “Have you ever had cause to break anything up that was too…er, graphic?”

“You mean anything that would require an extended explanation to Teddy?”

Remus nodded.

“Not really. He just screws up his face in little boy disgust when he sees them snogging. That’s usually enough for them to decide to relocate to a more private spot.”

Remus’ eyebrows shot up in appreciation. “I never thought about having the children run interference. I usually have to remind them that snogging is not a spectator sport. But if they insist, they really should have the decency to sell tickets beforehand.”

Tonks laughed. “I’m certain you can’t say that without smirking!”

“Probably not, but it works anyway.”

“Have you ever…” She hesitated briefly. “…encountered anything that made you feel like you should lecture them about not treating women as sex objects.”

“The sexism speech is your department. I would just suggest that a gentleman should have the foresight to book a room at the Three Broomsticks.”

Tonks gasped, “What if they take your advice during the next Hogsmeade trip?”

“Then it’s out of my jurisdiction and Rosmerta’s at fault,” Remus returned with flawless logic. “She won’t rent a room to them if they’re underaged.”

“But you gave them the idea…”

“Did I? I wager they had the idea in their heads -- or lower,” he amended with a deep chuckle, “long before I walked past.”

“You sound like an expert already. Anyone I would know?”

“I’m just ready if it ever comes to pass. Experience from my own youth, I’m afraid.” At her scandalized look, he clarified, “Second hand. Sirius was always getting himself into such scrapes when all the broom cupboards were occupied.”

“Broom cupboards?” She grimaced. “A lecture about indignity comes to mind!”

“Would have just bounced off Sirius’ back. Then he would have flashed you a blinding smile and said, ‘Since you’re not using your office at the moment, duckie, how’s about subletting the space for a good cause?’”

Tonks gasped as the laughter poured forth. “You’re exaggerating! No one could have been that irreverent before McGonagall’s steely gaze.”

“Sirius wouldn’t have said it to McGonagall. But there were other teachers who intimidated him much less.”

“Why didn’t you suggest to him that he move it to the Three Broomsticks?”

“Oh, we did. Lots of us in the Gryffindor common room made that suggestion on a fairly regular basis. But there was a glitch, see.”

“Not enough galleons?”

“Not just that. We could have probably taken up a collection among the lot of us.” He leaned over and nuzzled her ear affectionately. “He didn’t want Rosmerta to think he was unavailable, or worse, stepping out on her.”

“But surely Rosmerta wouldn’t have… she's old enough to be his…she’s old enough to know better, at least.”

“You’re right; Rosmerta would just smile indulgently as she rolled her eyes towards the rest of us when Sirius wasn’t looking. But Sirius never could resist a challenge “ and young men from Hogwarts have been trying to chat up Rosmerta for years. She admitted as much when she’d say, ‘Sirius Black, I’ve been wooed by wizards with much more charm than the likes of you.’”

“He didn’t take the hint, I take it.”

“Hint? That was his cue, cherub. He’d just counter that he was more vivacious, more handsome, more whatever it took to keep the conversation going.”

“And what did you learn from him?” Tonks posed in her best imitation of the Headmistress.

Not missing a beat, Remus volunteered, “That girls love to be drawn out in conversation. I just chose more esoteric subjects, is all. Played to my strengths.”

Tonks gave him a quick kiss as she got to her feet and tiptoed to the start of the hallway leading to the children’s rooms. She shook her head and whispered, “I can still hear voices. A bit drowsy perhaps, but not willing to capitulate just yet.”

“If I move to the other end of the sofa, I can see their skylights through the front window,” Remus offered. “Lights are still shining.”

She settled herself in the warm spot Remus had just vacated and then laid lengthwise so her head was resting in her husband’s lap. Looking up at him with soft eyes, she suggested, “Why don’t you read some of those poems to me?”

“They’re in French.”

“I still like the sound of your voice caressing me even if I can’t understand the words.”

Remus chuckled intimately. “Unfortunately, Phoebe and Teddy will. It will draw them forth like moths to the flame. Tell me instead what great plans you’ve been devising for Hufflepuff House next year. Minerva was clearly enthused but unwilling to provide any details.”

“And you think I’m easier to persuade?” Tonks smirked.

“Let’s just say I have an inside track and leave it at that,” he returned huskily as he ran his fingertips ever so lightly down the length of her arm. “You’re not going to retire the Hufflepuff Boys are you?”

Tonks barely suppressed a delicious shiver of anticipation as she replied, “Of course not. Pastiche is a long-standing tradition among British boarding schools “ especially with the men. I’m just expanding my horizons a bit. Perhaps a full length production. Minerva is ever so fond of Gilbert and Sullivan.”

“You know nothing about vocals,” Remus pointed out.

“So I’ll solicit volunteers from the faculty, surely someone has a bit of experience outside the shower. It’s an amateur event so anyone with a natural talent will be suitable. I can at least discern that.”

“What about a venue?” he prodded.

“Rehearsals in the Room of Requirement. But for the performance proper, I was thinking something a bit more ambitious. Like in Sunday in the Park with George.”

“That’s Sondheim, not Gilbert and Sullivan,” Remus pointed out.

“I wasn’t referring to the libretto, just the painting which inspired it. The families sitting with their elaborate picnics on the grass. That’s how I imagine the audience to be spread on the sloping lawn. Everyone can invite family and friends.”

“Perhaps a theatrical agent or two?”

“I wouldn’t want to shortchange anyone’s dreams. But not the Times Drama Desk; I don’t want to be hampered by the Statute of Secrecy.” Demonstrating that she had indeed given it a fair amount of thought, Tonks detailed how the outside staging would minimize their need for scenery, elaborate sets or banks of seating. The Forbidden Forest would be their backdrop and they could raise their voices to the stars. A night with a full moon would be out, of course, as the extra shadows would make the lighting that much more difficult to control. “I’m sure Neville will be able to help me out considerably here.”

“Won’t that make the actors rather small? I suppose we could use Omnioculars --”

“Not if I float the stage like an island on the Black Lake; keep it close to the shoreline. I believe they used something similar for the Triwizard Tournament and my idea would be considerably less elaborate,” Tonks supplied. “Minerva’s certain her transfiguration skills are up to the task.”

“And backstage would be where, in a dinghy?”

“Portkeys from the shore. Neville can help with those as well.”

“The Giant Squid will demand his due,” Remus joked.

“Tell him to get some eight by ten glossies made and he can audition with all the rest.”

Warming to the grandiose plan, Remus supplied, “So you’ll be going for a nautical theme then. H.M.S. Pinafore, perhaps?”

“Too talky for beginners. I was thinking of The Pirates of Penzance. Lots of dance numbers for the non-singers like me.”

“Are you going to allow the faculty to audition, or just students?”

“Planning to try out for the Pirate King?” Tonks shot back in a saucy voice.

“Moi? Not even if you staged the bloody thing in the shower!”

“That would cut down on the cost of costumes,” she teased.

Ignoring the color he felt in his cheeks, he deadpanned, “Besides pirates are naturally mysterious and dark. The clothes would hang much better on Severus.”

“Talk about someone I don’t want to see on my casting couch!” she returned as they both broke into gales of laughter. “Besides, he’s not likely to want to participate anyway.”

“As a Head of House, he’s honor bound to at least head up a committee,” Remus observed. “Otherwise the Slytherins will think they’re excluded as well and that won’t sit well with Minerva.”

“I hadn’t thought of that,” Tonks mused. “What sort of role would he like?”

“Something that allows him to look down on others!”

“Right. How about diction coach? He’ll relish getting to correct them to no end.”

Remus chuckled and nodded his approval of her machinations. “You might want to consider Filius for the modern Major-General, though. Save Severus for when a truly villainous role falls your way.”

Tonks’ eyes twinkled with merriment. “Like the Lord High Executioner in The Mikado?”

Remus smirked in return. “Why stop there? Give him the top spot.”

“But the Mikado isn’t really a villain,” Tonks replied thoughtfully. “More of an amoral character, I’d say.”

“I always rather pictured him as Voldemort with all the pure-bloods scampering around his feet. The Lord High Executioner would be Peter Pettigrew.”

Tonks eyes went wide with shock before she started laughing. “I could never stage that…what would they think….do you really think so?”

“Maybe not in the first year,” Remus attested through the Marauder’s grin. “Political farce requires a deft touch. But just think of the possibilities.” In a sing-song voice he crooned, “Three little mates from school are we: Harry, Ron and Hermione!”

Tonks was wiping tears from her eyes by the time she got her breath back. “They would just kill me!”

“Not as long as you didn’t make them play themselves, I warrant. Besides, what could be more galling to a defeated tyrant than to be remade as a laughing stock? Why the Muggles have been doing it to Adolf Hitler for years! Tell you what, I’ll help you rewrite the lyrics to fit a different epic. What’s the worse that can happen? Minerva nixes it when she reads the script, but everyone will get a good laugh.”

“All right, Mr. Devious Mastermind, who exactly would the wandering minstrel represent?”

Remus thought for a moment before supplying, “Why that would be me. Seeking my own true love. A scene that needs much rehearsal, I might add.” A cursory wave of his wand dimmed the lights so only the low fire provided illumination.

“The lights have gone out?” Tonks posed as she lifted her head to look at him directly.

“They have indeed,” Remus breathed into her ear as he stretched his body next to hers.
Twenty: Aftershock by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty
Aftershock



He fell into what he thought was a dreamless slumber only to find he had somehow been transported to Privet Drive. Beyond the sleepy sounds of early morning, he could distinguish the staccato engine of a jackhammer as it tore up the asphalt lanes just beyond his bedroom window. Whispered voices and a heavy tread down the stairs woke him from the drowsy mists much sooner than he would have liked. So much for a lie-in, Harry thought morosely, as he willed his body to remain motionless beneath the snowy bedcovers. The jackhammer must be working through the shingles on the very roof to judge by its relentless roar. He winced to block out the physical pain pounding on the insides of his eyelids.

Tentatively, he opened one bleary eye only to recoil from the light slicing like a knife blade through the window shears. Its intensity was white hot against his retinas even without his glasses.

Thirst. The overwhelming thirst of a parched throat drew him forth from his downy cocoon as numb fingers searched blindly for his glasses on the nightstand. With dizzying slowness, his surroundings came into focus. The unfamiliar blues of the bed linens roiled like the undulating waves of the ocean as they broke against the headboard. Only sheer willpower kept him from succumbing to the relentless tide that sought to drive him back under the bed sheets with the vague promise of floating into peaceful slumber once more.

With a start, he found that his bed was much larger than he remembered, a virtual ocean liner adrift on uncharted seas instead of his familiar one-man dinghy. Even more disconcerting was that he was not alone. A shadowy bundle lay next to him, a fan of hair splayed against the silvery pillow. He’d never shared a room with his cousin, Dudley; that was certain. His aunt would have never allowed such an invasion into her son’s sacred territory.

The illusion was shattered when the other body addressed him directly. “I would have thought you’d want to linger in bed this morning,” Ginny commented in a voice still thick with sleep. “At least until the smells of sizzling bacon tickled your nose.”

With a low groan, it all came flooding back to Harry. The Broom and Bucket Pub on Queerditch Marsh, loud and boisterous as it filled to capacity with the Quidditch elite. Too many Golden Snitches to count; his stomach having dealt with more than in his entire career as Seeker, that was for sure.

“If you don’t want separate bedrooms, I beg you not to mention food again,” Harry grumbled as he barely managed to keep his body upright. “What is that god-forsaken racket?”

Ginny took a moment to listen carefully then replied with a hint of amusement, “You mean the woodpecker outside?”

“Did he bring a whole regiment with him?”

“I don’t think so.”

Briefly, Harry considered his limited options. “What’s that spell Hermione used to turn canaries into kamikazes?” Let the bird try to extricate his beak when it was buried up to its eyes in the tree trunk.

“It won’t work.” Ginny predicted. “It only works on animals you have conjured yourself.”

“Right. Then how about I conjure a second woodpecker to bayonet the first one against the tree?”

Ginny giggled in spite of the implied animal cruelty. “Is that the best you can come up with for Plan B? Reducio at close quarters might be more efficient.”

“Fine by me. See if you can aim quietly out the open window sash.”

“You just need some tea and dry toast in your stomach,” she proposed, urging him to his wooden feet as she shrugged into her dressing gown.







The querulous voices of strident elephant seals resolved themselves into his godchildren’s attempts to convince their mother to let them breakfast on the patio.

“Maybe in a few weeks time,” Tonks agreed. “But the chill of winter still lingers…” One look at Harry’s bloodshot eyes and she relented. “Tell you what: if you throw on some proper jeans and woolen jumpers, I’ll have Dobby add a warming charm to your plates.”

Their cheers of joy resembled angry sea gulls against his ear drums as the marching tread of an army retreated into the far wing to don excursion gear. With a sharp outpouring of breath, Harry collapsed his body into the nearest chair, gingerly cradling his tussled head in his arms. His skull throbbed in the ten different spots that made contact with his unsteady fingers. This is exactly what a Quaffle must feel like after it’s been tossed about, he thought. Reconsidering, he amended: make that a Bludger that been slapped by a thousand bats.

“How many did you have last night?” Remus’ voice issued in quiet sympathy as he laid a comforting hand on Harry’s shoulder.

Not looking up, Harry admitted, “Too many to count.” His jumbled memories recalled swizzle sticks with little flapping wings which refused to stay in proper formation on the bar surface.

“According to Sirius’ sliding scale, that would qualify as a half-hearted attempt,” Remus remarked.

Setting a cup of steaming tea before Harry, Ginny commanded, “Sip it slowly. Dobby added his special remedy.” To Remus’ smiling eyes, she posed, “Why half-hearted?”

Happily munching on buttered scones, Remus expounded, “Not enough to actually kill himself; just enough to wish he had.”

Harry nodded morosely.

“What would have constituted a heroic effort worthy of a true Gryffindor?” Tonks inquired light-heartedly as she returned from settling the children outdoors.

“Anything that sent you to the Hospital Wing,” Remus shot back with a chuckle. “What were you drinking?”

“Harry concentrated on these fizzy cider drinks called Golden Snitches,” Ginny responded.

“One for every game Snitch I ever caught,” Harry mumbled darkly.

“And then some,” Ginny confided. “Don’t you remember how many times you retold how you once caught the ruddy thing in your mouth?”

Harry moaned wordlessly at the memory.

“Sounds like the Snitches snuck up on you, true to their name,” Tonks observed as she dug into a hearty plate of bacon, eggs and fried tomatoes.

“It was supposed to be a drink for light-weights,” Harry defended as he raised his head slightly. He consented to nibble a bit of dry toast at Dobby’s insistence.

“As you’ve proved conclusively,” Remus noted dryly.

“At least I had enough sense to stay away from something called a Thestral Dawn,” Harry commented with a pointed look at Ginny. “Glowing like radioactive waste over a sea of black vodka.”

“At least I knew to stop after two,” Ginny replied in an innocent tone. “And that was after I consumed a hearty bowl of lamb stew.”

“What about Viktor?” Tonks urged.

“He was downing something called a Dementor’s Kiss that left the glass iced over on the outside but smoked as ominously as Snape’s Wolfsbane Potion.” Harry jabbed Remus playfully in the ribs.

“Fred and George tried to top each other with this fruity concoction called a Bludger’s Revenge,” Ginny supplied merrily.

“Who won?” Remus asked with a laugh.

“Cyrus Broadmoor, the pub owner,” Harry opined. “After he demonstrated how to swallow these flaming shots--”

“Aptly named a Wronski Feint,” Ginny broke in.

“”and Fred and George slid off their stools in unison.”

“See, Remus,” Tonks noted with mock sternness, “that right there is why I always insist on securing a table.”

“Because it’s a shorter distance to the floor?” Remus retorted.

Harry consented to a few slices of bacon more to appease Dobby’s worried frown than anything else. “Truly, your remedy has my head back to its normal proportions,” he thanked the house-elf earnestly.

“Special recipe with mooncalf blossoms,” Dobby bobbed happily. “Dobby had much experience with swollen heads at Malfoy Manor.”

The ebullient laughter that greeted his remark left the elf somewhat perplexed.

“Did you mean as in overblown egos?” Tonks teased.

“Many parties late into the night,” Dobby corrected.

“So there were many blowhards present, you mean?” Ginny goaded.

“Don’t make him have to hurt himself,” Harry rebuked in a joking tone.

“Yes!” Dobby asserted.

“To which question?” Remus volleyed wickedly.

“Dobby’s answer is yes,” Dobby insisted with a stubborn gleam in his eyes as he looked at everyone in turn.

“Very diplomatic,” Ginny observed.

Remus confirmed, “A regular candidate for parliament.”

“Don’t even go there,” Harry warned playfully. “All I can think about is Hermione’s long-winded tirades about an Elfish Utopia.”

Ginny pulled a face at the memory. “I think Ron first started snogging her just to shut her up.”

“Blimey! Nothing else would work!” Harry affirmed. “I considered snogging her myself at one point --” At Ginny’s belligerent glare, he finished, “Yes, even if it meant a lifetime’s worth of bat-bogey hexes. The blessed silence would have been worth it!”

Harry jumped noticeably as the kitchen fireplace blazed green and Hermione’s head poked through. “Forgive the intrusion. I wasn’t sure what condition you’d be in.”

Through his laughter, Remus managed, “Looks like the worst is over. How about you?”

“Eleanor and I are fine. Ronald, on the other hand…” There was the distinct sound of groaning as Hermione glanced briefly over her shoulder. “Well, he’s had better days; let’s leave it at that.”

“Too many Viper’s Teeth, if you ask me,” Harry noted wryly.

“Really, now,” Hermione acknowledged with a determined set to her jaw. “He wasn’t very chatty when he stumbled in last night. Some half-baked grumbles about Slytherin green. I wondered if you’d run into Marcus Flint.”

“He probably feels like he encountered Flint’s fist,” Ginny hissed. “That concoction looked too much like green dragon’s blood for my taste!”

“Hagrid would have been in heaven!” Tonks mouthed just loudly enough so they could hear.

“Mistress Hermione,” Dobby suggested as he peered directly into the hearth. “Please move away from the fire and Dobby will send his patented remedy for Mister Ron.”

“I highly recommend it,” Harry echoed as Dobby poked his bony arm through the emerald flames. His long-fingered hand returned without the tumbler.

“I didn’t know you could transport goods through the fire,” Tonks observed. “How did you avoid sending it through the Floo network, Dobby?”

Dobby shrugged to indicate it was obvious. “Liquid would have spilled in strangers’ fireplaces otherwise.”

Hermione’s head returned to the embers with a decided smirk. “Ron says thank you. He looks a little less like a blanched turnip already.”

“Oi!” they heard in the background as Hermione dodged to the far side of the hearth.

Clearing her throat, Hermione’s expression turned serious. “Have you had a chance to read the Prophet this morning?”

“Not yet,” Remus responded as he idly watched Teddy and Phoebe feeding bits of their breakfast to the brown post owl perched on the edge of the wrought iron table. “Anything which needs my immediate attention?”

“Only if you want your blood pressure to go into orbit!” Hermione claimed sardonically. “Umbridge again.”

“Hasn’t the public had enough of her by now?” Tonks commented.

“Apparently not. Floo me back once you take a glance. Page three, bottom right.” With those terse words, Hermione signed off.

At least it’s not on the front page, Harry thought to himself, but Remus’ grim expression as he tossed the folded paper onto the center of the table said it all. In the background, Tonks shooed her children towards their bedrooms with a whispered command to make their beds and fold their pajamas.

“How bad is it?” Ginny posed as she leaned over Harry’s shoulder and absently rubbed the knots out of his suddenly tense shoulders. An op/ed piece sandwiched in the lower corner caught her eye.

Citizens’ Response:

Umbridge Forms Ad Hoc Committee


In a move that has Ministry officials scratching their heads, recently retired Dolores Umbridge has spearheaded a citizen’s committee to scrutinize the misappropriation of Ministry resources.

“We’re not just looking at the galleons, mind you,” listeners heard Ms Umbridge proclaim over the airwaves yesterday. “Man-hours are also being spent on frivolous pursuits that benefit a select few at the expense of the needs of the many.”

When asked to elaborate, however, Umbridge could not point to any social programs that were being short-changed at the expense of more “elitist pursuits” as she likes to call them.

In a press conference carried over the WWN yesterday afternoon, Umbridge expounded on the ideals which are falling by the wayside. “It’s time for common citizens to make the bureaucracy prove itself,” she asserted with the fervor of a true visionary.

But one can’t help but note that just six months ago, Ms. Umbridge herself was a long-time Ministry employee, i.e. part of “the overgrown shrubbery that needs prudent pruning” according to her recent statements.

Ministry officials are baffled as to why she should target the recently established Historical Preservation Initiative when all those sites are open to the public free of charge.

“You can’t get more egalitarian than that!” Rufus Scrimgeour attested from his country home where he was reached for comment last night. “If anything, Dolores is to be commended for her extraordinary timing. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I would like to get back to my guests.”

As an alumnus of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, this reporter can’t help but remember Ms. Umbridge’s rampage of terror when she appointed herself as supreme overseer of British magical education. Does Ms. Umbridge truly represent the unspoken concerns of ordinary witches and wizards as she would like us to believe? Or are we to see a similar chaotic display of self-righteous ego?


While Harry and Ginny poured over the newspaper article, Remus knelt before the hearth to contact Hermione. From the doors leading out to the patio, Tonks watched with concern. Despite the boyish manner in which he hung his head, there was no mistaking that her husband’s playful demeanor had evaporated into a haggard scowl.

In the months since the publication of that anonymous treatise on werewolf superiority, it had become all too familiar. Too many nights had her feigning slumber while she felt the mattress shift as Remus despaired of going back to sleep. He studiously avoided the main part of the house, Dobby had informed her afterwards, and sought solace in the small patio adjoining the master suite. Occasionally, she’d hear his bare feet against the bathroom tiles as he filled a glass with water; or more likely, the soft ring of crystal as he poured himself a measure of brandy. If the nightmares had been particularly unsettling, Remus would even resign himself to the anti-anxiety medication Poppy Pomfrey had prescribed. The phosphorescent glow when diluted in water always managed to seep through Tonks’ closed eyelids. Not that she’d said anything to him; instinctively fearing he would burden himself even more by thinking he was heaping worry upon her shoulders as well.

Hermione’s words of concern brought her sharply back to the present. “The radio interview must have aired during the Quidditch match. That’s all I know for certain.”

“But if the Minister’s already commented on it…” Remus began.

“…Percy will have access to the data,” Ginny proclaimed.

“What about directly from the WWN?” Hermione suggested. “Would Ginny be able to procure some sort of audio recording?”

“Not until Monday,” Ginny replied. “Not unless I want to raise any suspicions.”

“We want the public to discount this as nothing more than Umbridge’s ranting,” Remus emphasized. “Our actions cannot betray us.”

“I’ll contact Molly at the Burrow, then,” Hermione announced. “If Percy’s not already there in preparation for Sunday dinner, she’ll know how I can get in touch with him.”

Molly assured them there was no need to apologize for anything; the standard Sunday dinner plans at the Burrow had disintegrated of their own accord. Bill and family were spending the weekend in France in honor of Mrs. Delacour’s 59th birthday “ which was being billed at her 39th, she commented wryly via the Floo. The twins had barricaded themselves in their room, promising to come down when the sunlight toned itself down to a bearable intensity “ perhaps at dusk.

Percy, it turned out, was with Penelope, trying in vain to appease her fears that the Ministry would discount her best efforts with the Riddle House. He confessed that he had dragged his weary body home to the Burrow in the wee hours of the morning himself. Not from a night of revelry, mind you, but from an emergency meeting in the Minister’s offices. In truth, they had done no more than review Umbridge’s latest remarks; food for thought as they prepared for the upcoming workweek. But it had not been a pleasant experience for Penny; and as soon as he swallowed a hurried breakfast that Sunday, Percy had returned to her flat.

“We don’t yet have a transcript of that toad’s comments for the Minister’s file,” his pinched features advised them from the slumbering embers. “Everything’s locked up at the Ministry at the moment. And while, yes, I have access to come and go at will on Sundays, there’s no telling if anyone will ask me to explain myself later.”

“Too many actions can seem suspicious in a time of peace,” Remus concurred.

Having arrived at Godric’s Hollow moments earlier, Ron spoke up with a workable alternative. “Look, Mum says she listened to the original broadcast on the wireless. Can’t we use a Pensieve to review her memory?” In a bare whisper, he added, “She’s not really as big a Quidditch fan as she always claims before us boys, you know.”

“What about Percy and Penny?” Harry added.

“Best we keep Penny out of this,” Percy suggested. “There’ll be no convincing her this isn’t a referendum on her hard work if she sees the Order calling roll. But there’s no need to bother Mum; I’m more than willing to give up a scrap of memory for the time being. Does anyone have a Pensieve?”

“In my office at Hogwarts,” Remus confirmed.

“I brought one home to catch up on some interrogations last summer and I don’t think I remembered to return it,” Harry supplied with a sheepishly grin.

“Well done!” Tonks cried as she returned from packing off Phoebe and Teddy for an impromptu visit to the zoo. With the day’s mild temperatures, her parents had only been too happy to oblige.

Ginny accepted Percy’s narrative with a determined set to her lips. “Perhaps Dobby can send along some of his patented potion. It certainly brought Harry back from the edge of the abyss.”

“I’m sure the twins will appreciate it but, somehow, you have to stay below Mum’s radar,” Percy made her promise. “I doubt they’ll find the decibel level of her diatribe much to their liking today.”

With a mischievous twinkle, Harry proposed, “I’m sure you’ll manage it, Percy. Tonks suggested the remedy would be so much better received if it came from you.”

“Not to mention that it will give you an excuse to leave Penny alone for a few hours,” Remus added.







It was not a particularly pleasant sensation, Percy decided as he watched the glistening strand of memory curl seductively in the deep Pensieve bowl. Such a tiny fraction of his being and yet he felt incomplete. The empty shelf in his mind where he’d catalogued yesterday’s interview beckoned hollowly, reminding him of the phantom aches amputees often describe in non-existent limbs.

“Just sit back in that squashy chair and relax,” Tonks urged as Dobby dutifully placed a small teapot at his elbow.

“Close your eyes if that will help you to unwind,” Remus suggested. “The nagging sensation will dissipate as soon as you hear the voices coming from the Pensieve once again.”

It made perfect sense, Percy decided; a new memory to substitute for the original as he tried to ignore the queasiness building up in his stomach.

“You won’t feel quite like yourself until we return the original strand,” Harry commiserated.

Their plans put into motion, it wasn’t long before the twins themselves arrived at Godric’s Hollow amid a veritable dust storm of Floo Powder. They had no sooner disentangled their arms and legs from one another than they were presenting Dobby with a gift.

“It is not necessary to reward Dobby,” the house-elf protested as his eyes grew wide with anticipation. “Mistress Molly just hadn’t time to replenish her stores after the Christmas celebrations.”

“Yeah,” Fred nodded. “Only we didn’t expect Mum to be quite so accommodating this time around.”

“Not when the entire family hadn’t come down with the same malady,” George concluded.

Ginny gave them a sage look. “Somehow if Dad’s under the weather as well, she restricts herself to just reproachful looks.”

“Which are easily ignored,” Fred concurred.

“And blessedly silent,” George added. “Go on, Dobby. Tear into that paper so everyone can admire our latest product.”

With a quick glance at the eager faces around him, Dobby extended one long, bony finger and waved it in a small circle. Almost immediately, the bright cording untied itself as the foil wrapping dissolved into thin air. With exaggerated care, Dobby unfolded a diminutive cranberry jacket with black stain lapels. His large eyes washed over the fabric lovingly as he thanked them profusely for their generosity.

“So elegant, too,” the elf gushed.

Fred smiled encouragingly. “Gryffindor red. Although we felt that gold lapels would have just been--”

“”utterly and completely wrong,” George advised. “Let’s see if we got the size right.”

Dobby didn’t need any more encouragement to slide his knobby arms into the crisp sleeves. As he looked down at himself with unabashed pride, Fred urged, “Now put something in the pocket.”

George handed Dobby an apple from the basket sitting atop the kitchen counter.

With a slight frown, Dobby complied “ only to have his face light up in wonder. “Where did it go?” he marveled as he held out an empty pocket for everyone to see.

“Magically transported,” Fred supplied.

“For safekeeping,” George echoed.

“But where?” Dobby insisted.

“To the top of your dresser,” Fred confided in a bare whisper.

“In case I have need of a midnight snack!” Dobby concurred happily. “Oh, you are indeed too kind. Dobby won’t have to worry about dropping things he transports to his quarters ever again!”

Catching their eye deliberately, Tonks ushered the twins into the next room so Dobby could attend to his duties without distraction. They exchanged a nod with Percy who was relaxing in a deep armchair in the main sitting room, but Remus warned them to let their brother be as he was still feeling a bit peaked.

“What’s the truth of it?” Ginny demanded as soon as they were in Remus’ study and well out of Dobby’s range of hearing.

“Out with it,” Remus urged. “You two are hardly known for running a haberdashery.”

“I don’t know what you mean…” Fred began only to be cut short by Tonks wagging her wand in his face.

“Cut to the chase,” she insisted sweetly. “Is Dobby going to disappear himself if he manages to turn his jacket inside out?”

George cackled outright. “I hadn’t thought of that! Make a note of that variation, will you, Bro?”

“Already on it,” George instantly returned.

“So how exactly is this product marketed in your stores?” Remus prodded.

“Well, it’s rather intended for absent-minded types,” Fred allowed as he eyed Tonks’ wand warily.

“Those who are always losing things and drive their families to distraction,” George seconded.

“So instead of the inevitable scavenger hunt, this product deposits all objects in a single location for easy retrieval,” Fred concluded.

“Only if they remember to place them in the pocket,” Ginny pointed out.

“Nothing’s perfect,” George defended.

“True, but it’s a natural inclination to place things in your pockets,” Tonks allowed as she sheathed her wand.

“So how does it work?” Remus implored in a tone that sounded exactly like Teddy’s. “Transporter spell?”

As Fred and George happily explained the mechanics of their newest product, Tonks turned her attention to the newest arrivals. Molly had done a good job of getting the word out through her “daisy chain” communication network. In the background, she could still hear the twins expounding about how the homing device could be set to any locale so the victim could be tormented in various and ingenious ways.

“Returning objects from whence they came?” Remus suggested with the Marauder’s trademark grin.

“Can only be set to one destination at a time,” George cautioned.

“Great suggestion, Remus,” Fred remarked. “Have anyone in mind?”

“Not really, but I suspect you do.”

“Us?” the twins replied, practically in unison.

“Let us in on the prank and we won’t report you,” Harry insisted.

“Is this how you run Gryffindor House, Professor?” Fred intoned with feigned outrage.

“We’re not at Hogwarts,” Remus reminded them handily.

“But I take it your subject is?” Ginny surmised with glee.

“We rather had our eye on Filch,” Fred admitted as his twin kept a careful watch that Tonks was occupied with welcoming Xenophilius.

“Got our hands on some of that nondescript tweed he seems to favor,” George confided.

“You mean the color that resembles leaf litter in the Forbidden Forest?” Ginny quipped.

“Planning another Christmas gift?” Harry interjected. “That was brilliant with the Probity Probe, you know. Made it into Professor Flitwick’s Hall of Fame even.”

“Too long a wait,” George protested. “End of term would be better.”

Immediately seizing the flaw in their plan, Remus volunteered, “Not all the faculty are on hand over the summer term break, you know.”

“Right,” George allowed thoughtfully.

“Easter gift?” Harry suggested but was met with a round of quizzical faces. “It’s just that some Muggles give candy baskets as if delivered by the Easter bunny…” He trailed off as it occurred to him that this was just another example of Muggles seeking to bring a bit of trumped up magic into their dreary lives.

“If only we knew when his birthday was,” Fred sighed.

“Those records are locked up tighter than the Chamber of Secrets, though,” George attested.

With a wry chuckle, Remus noted, “I take it you boys tried to uncover that bit of trivia while you were at school.”

“Think of the various events they could have planned,” Harry dreamed.

“He would have been too suspicious,” Ginny opined.

“Remus, you don’t think as a faculty member you could…” Fred left the rest of his sentence dangling.

“No.”

“Where’s your Marauder’s spirit?” Harry chided.

“Is this how you repay us for allowing you onto the official planning committee?” George moaned.

“Besides the fact that you’ll be wanting my private personnel records next,” Remus demurred, “I maintain, gentlemen, that is it totally irrelevant. Best to use a random day; that way, he won’t suspect a thing.”

“Won’t he wonder why he’s getting a gift, though?” Harry questioned, not fathoming how Remus could have worked through that detail.

“You can still label it as a birthday gift,” Remus proposed. “Such misdirection will just make him that much more curious.”

“I get it!” Ginny confirmed eagerly. “He’ll think himself doubly lucky at the expense of some poor bloke who couldn’t get his dates straight.”

Remus’ wicked smile increased in magnitude.

“Absolutely brilliant!”

“Diabolical, even!”

“Where do we sign up to become honorary Marauders?” Fred emphasized.

“Just promise me you won’t pull this off when I’m away from the castle,” Remus begged. “That’s all I ask in return for my strategic skill.”

“Where are you planning to misdirect his belongings?” Harry inquired. “The Headmistress’ office?”

Through his laughter, Remus cautioned, “You’d have to let her in on it, if you did.”

“How about the Room of Requirement?” Ginny put forth.

“Oooh, too cruel!” George laughed. “He’d never get his stuff back!”

“Can’t make our charm cooperate with that ancient magic,” Fred stipulated. “Sorry.”

Barely able to control his laughter, Harry stammered, “What if he puts Mrs. Norris in his pocket?”

“Will it be big enough?” Ginny wondered.

“Absolutely,” Fred promised. “I’ll see to it personally.”

With sudden inspiration, George blurted, “Perhaps we could line the fabric with catnip!”

Much to everyone’s regret, the view across the foyer showed the main drawing room was rapidly filling up. With only Tonks and Dobby to welcome their guests, the animated discussion was tabled until later “ although the twins could still be heard planning in hushed whispers along the sidelines.






Solemn faces in a circle. Pinched lips and narrowed eyes.

The hostility radiating from the assembled members of the Order of the Phoenix was palatable as they concentrated intently on Umbridge’s latest bit of poisoned posturing.

Having listened from the next room while the words had been transposed by a Quick Quotes Quill which Hermione had modified into a strict stenographer’s mode, Percy was no longer feeling the loss of his memory quite so keenly. As the others watched the ghostly images issuing forth from the Pensieve, he had a rare opportunity to observe the gathering.

Tonks’ brain had clearly shifted into problem-solving mode as she absently chewed on the end of her quill. Snape’s dark eyes bored into the transcript he held in his hands while Ginny’s anger fairly sparked from her eyes. But it was Remus who intrigued Percy the most for the man actually seemed relaxed with his arm thrown over the back of the sofa, his long legs casually stretched out before him. Appearances never told the complete story when it came to Remus; Percy had come to that conclusion long ago. When riled, the man could be coldly calculating behind his self-effacing demeanor. May Merlin and all the past and future saints help anyone who came between him and his family. Despite what the Auror Department had ineptly maintained so many years ago, it had absolutely nothing to do with being a werewolf, either.

Vividly, Percy recalled the dossier of Remus’ last interrogation which had come across his desk at the Ministry. The fevered investigation into Sirius Black had expanded exponentially without yielding any tangible results other than the file becoming so thick it needed to be separated into units. It had been an oddly sobering moment when he determined that Remus’ interrogations merited a folder onto themselves. What’s more, the summary of the last session included a carefully cushioned vial protecting a wispy tendril of memory. What was so important it had been encapsulated in such a manner for the Minister’s review? And why hadn’t it been done for previous interviews?

For most of the morning, Percy struggled with a blend of curiosity and concern for a man whom he considered his friend. Finally giving in, he waited until Fudge stuck his head past the communicating door and announced he was taking a leisurely lunch. No need alarming the Minister unnecessarily, or even overburdening him, Percy argued to himself. These were touchy times indeed; the Minister worried that public opinion would turn against him for installing Dolores Umbridge at Hogwarts amid vague accusations of Dumbledore’s senility.

Fudge had always been an overly jovial sort in public, even when the situation would have been better served by a show of executive gravitas. Lately though, he’d become edgy, for lack of a better word; the glossy surface of years in office marred by sudden uncertainty. Like a man who was staring at numerous paths, all which led to varying circles in his own personal hell, Percy decided.

Not daring to appropriate the full-sized Pensieve kept in the Minister’s coat cupboard, Percy instead dug out the tiny desktop version from the depths of his credenza. A thick layer of dust indicated it had been rarely used due to its strict limitations. But for Percy’s needs, it would have to do. A full body immersion was impossible, but the figures could be coerced to hover above the rim like wraiths for his review. Better to keep a concurrent eye on the doors to his office, he reminded himself.

It was not as easy as others had made it out to be; but an old spell book in the Ministry’s cavernous library detailed the appropriate wand movements and incantation. He had begun to think of the magical words as imprecations when he was finally met with success.

The shuffling of chairs and rustling fabric in the background established there were others present in the interrogation chamber, although only Remus could be seen sitting in the small straight-backed chair. There was something off about his mood, Percy surmised immediately; not insolent, as such, but weary -- as if his infinite store of patience was finally nearing its end.

Not breaking eye contact, Remus leaned back and crossed his long legs before him. “You have a strange way of showing you missed my scintillating company, gentlemen,” he issued with a disarming smile. “Lunch at the Leaky Cauldron would have been a friendlier gesture, don’t you think?”

Appreciative chuckles from off camera attested to Remus’ familiarity with his captors, but Percy did not fail to notice the man’s eyes were guarded.

“’fraid we can’t offer you a dram o’ Firewhiskey, Lupin,” one of the questioners drawled. “But I doubt anyone would report us if we broke with standard procedures and offered you a smoke.”

Remus withdrew a cigarette from the pack and waited for one of his hosts to light it with a wand tip. A wheeled metal cart was unceremoniously shoved to his elbow as an astray materialized in its center. With utmost casualness, Remus took a long draw and languidly exhaled the smoke towards the ceiling.

Percy was absolutely floored! He’d never known Remus to smoke, not in all the years he’d known the man. As a matter of fact, Remus had rather struck Percy as the sort who prided himself on healthful living and categorically vilified smokers on principle alone.

Mesmerized, Percy watched the familiar cadence of the questions hammered at Remus and his polite denials that he had any more information than the last time. Then out of left field, the interviewer caught Remus unawares.

“What gives, Lupin? You’re as jumpy as a kangaroo in a crate.” The same voice as the man who had offered the smokes.

Masterfully, Remus blew a narrow trail of smoke right in his questioner’s face as he locked eyes. “You have my dossier. You tell me what’s normal for a Quasi-Domesticated Insular Werewolf.”

A bit of raucous laughter from the second fellow who suggested sardonically, “No fleas or ticks, teeth look good, no bald patches in your fur. A bit undernourished, though. Have you been taking your vitamins like a good boy?”

Coolly, Remus played along. “Again if you’re so concerned about my dietary habits, an offer of lunch would have been appreciated.”

“You look like a man who has issues…”

“A werewolf always has issues,” Remus replied ever so softly.

“More than the usual panoply?”

“A whole Pantheon, gentlemen. But my personal problems are not really relevant,” Remus allowed closely.

Looking carefully at the image before him, Percy noted how drawn Remus’ features looked. When was the last time the man had eaten his fill, he wondered, as skeletal wrist bones poked from threadbare shirt sleeves.

Remus flinched as a third voice was heard, “Domestic troubles, Lupin? Too many bitches or too few?”

The rise and fall of Remus’ chest was the clearest indication he was fighting for control. Stony silence stretched on as he lit a new fag from the pack with the spent one in the ashtray.

Remus’ eyes fairly smoldered as he issued through terse lips, “As you well know, boys, I’m nothing but a lone wolf, graying around the edges. Surely your wives wouldn’t appreciate you sniffing about my castoffs?”

Like a flash, one of the questioners lurched into view, his hand drawn back as if to slap Remus across the face.

“It’s not worth getting written up, Sid,” his partner warned as Sid was pulled back and presumably into his chair. “Does it surprise you that he’s so much like his friend, Black? He always had a bevy of females swooning in his wake even when he was just a lowly fourth year.”

“Don’t provoke him,” Sid cautioned.

Hearing this, Remus taunted acerbically, “Other than words, what other weapons do I possess? Even an Animagus needs a wand to transform and mine is being held for safekeeping outside this room. The first twitch and I’ll be cut down with a Stunner.”

“Black was just like that. Always had a ready reply to everything. Thought he was king of Hogwarts.”

“All ancient history, gentlemen,” Remus remarked impassively. “Sirius Black was deposed from his throne long ago. I doubt many women would be attracted to the recruiting poster you’ve plastered all over Britain. And I will thank you to remember that anyone who betrayed the Potters could hardly be considered my friend.”

What was Remus playing at? Percy wondered to himself; for there was no longer any doubt he was witnessing a masterful performance. The cigarettes were nothing more than a prop being used to divert attention from the real issue. Did they not realize that Remus was feeling them out just as much as they were him?

Sid issued a dark laugh. “You’ve been warned not to kill Black if he shows up unannounced on your doorstep. Save him for the barbecue so we can all enjoy.”

Remus raised his eyebrows in query. “So gratifying to know you’re not concerned he might try to kill me first.”

“Black doesn’t strike me as the type to tie up loose ends. Bet he left many birds hanging by the wire when they hauled him off to Azkaban. What do you say to that, Lupin?”

“I’m sure I wouldn’t know. I abandoned any attempts to keep up with Sirius’ conquests after I filled up my first scorecard at school. Pettigrew was the one who liked to live vicariously.”

“A lot of good it did him, poor bloke!” Sid scoffed. “Tied his coattails to a heartless maniac…”

“Speaking of heartless,” Remus volunteered. “Have you boys considered chatting up some of those women who Sirius might have left behind? Just in case he was seeking out a bit of female company after his escape.”

“And face the ire of their husbands?” Sid’s partner sneered. “I’m not that suicidal.”

Remus smirked in appreciation. “Well, I assure you, if he shows up on my doorstep, it will be with a ready hex, not a kiss.”

Percy was not certain whether Fudge had ever reviewed that vial before his resignation, but he was certain Scrimgeour had. There was a terse memorandum added to the file in Gawain Robards’ hand advising all Aurors that Mr. Lupin was not be interrogated without due cause in the future. And they’d better have photographs to prove it.

A small scrawl at the bottom of the memo had supplied: “Werewolves still have some rights under due process. Any violations of these warnings could give Mr. Lupin grounds to sue the Ministry for inappropriate harassment. Remember that it will be our own lawyers from the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures who will likely defend his actions.” It was signed by Amos Diggory.

Amid the turmoil of the impromptu gathering of the Order, Percy could not say for certain what had reminded him of that moment. Perhaps the steely determination in Remus’ eyes recalled how stressed he had appeared in those dark days. Despite his easy going manner, it was no secret that the nameless werewolf manifesto had shaken the very foundations of Remus’ existence. If anything, it made it that much more difficult for him to maintain that he was fundamentally just like everyone else. Not that the man he was bore any resemblance to that degenerate, Percy affirmed silently, but life had taught Remus that he could not depend on others to make the same distinction.

At Percy’s right elbow, a sharp cough from Minerva McGonagall drew his attention back to the present. Coming up was the part of the interview which had so infuriated Penelope.

“What do you think of the Ministry’s efforts to make the past come to life?” the reporter posed with false cheer.

As if reciting a much rehearsed phrase, Umbridge allowed, “It’s an admirable undertaking.”

“Why do you hesitate, Ms. Umbridge? Do you feel it’s a wrong-footed plan?”

With a melodramatic sigh, Umbridge responded, “Perhaps it’s too much idealism in a world that calls for realism above all else.” Percy could just imagine her eyes slitting in reptilian fashion, but such details were not captured by the wireless.

“Could you elaborate for our listeners?”

“The tale of the poor girl who latches on to her gentrified and handsome neighbor is a clear warning that magic should be used judiciously. Just as the Statute of Secrecy mandates: Muggles should not be drawn into the magical world; not all of them appreciate it.”

“Do you think Tom Riddle, Senior, turned against her because he felt inadequate as a Muggle?”

“There’s no way to tell,” Umbridge simpered. “Clearly social climbing did not turn out well for this unfortunate creature. But if you ask me, that worthy lesson was diluted by the overwrought finale in the graveyard. I could have done without that entirely!”

“Was it too shocking?” the reporter prompted as if on cue.

In a voice swimming with treacherous treacle, Umbridge maintained, “It was too unsubstantiated. It’s always the same when Harry Potter is involved. Now that he’s no longer a misguided lad, I’m less tolerant of his over-blown antics. Grow up, I say.”

“I’m not sure I follow.”

“Haven’t you stopped to think, dear, that every grand phenomenon which our intrepid Mr. Potter encounters seems to come with a deplorable lack of witnesses? With no one to corroborate his tale, he can spin it out to fantastic lengths.”

“But the Priori Incantatem is a documented phenomenon!”

Seated on the floor before him, Percy could hear Ginny whisper to Harry that her associate, Eunice, always did her homework.

“He could have read about it in a book, same as you,” Umbridge dismissed sharply. “He may not have been much for library research himself, but I seem to remember a close friend of his was. All answers were to be found in books, she seemed to think.”

“You faceless hypocrite!” Hermione hissed from the far side of the room. “That’s the very pack of lies you told us when you claimed we could learn defensive spells from reading a textbook alone.”

“I understand your concerns, Ms. Umbridge,” Eunice supplied evenly. “But the Priori Incantatem requires two wands to react to one another.”

“Yes, but the dead do not testify “ or agree to interviews for that matter.” Umbridge’s girlish giggle was chilling. “So that lets He-Who’s-Been-Defeated off; Pettigrew is presumed dead, although his body has never been recovered. That leaves a whole host of dark followers who have been relocated handily to Azkaban. Why have none of them spoken up?”

“Perhaps because there’s nothing to add to the story,” Eunice dared.

“Perhaps no one thought to ask for their recount of the events in question,” Umbridge amended in a frosty tone.

“We have other witnesses, though. When the phenomenon occurred a second time, the freedom fighters who were awarded Orders of Merlin can all attest to what happened.”

“Quite an elite group, wouldn’t you say? There are those who might wonder if they have been handsomely rewarded for their complicity.”

Eunice only allowed a hint of breathiness to enter into her voice, but it was enough to show that Umbridge had managed to get under her skin. “Unfortunately, that’s all the time we have for today if I’m to keep to the programming schedule. We have been visiting with Dolores Umbridge and I’m Eunice Sharpe for the Wizarding Wireless Network.”
Twenty-One: Spectres of the Past by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty-One
Spectres of the Past



Grim silence echoed from the high ceilings of the drawing room as the misty dregs of the memory cycled to a close. Harry handed the Pensieve to Percy and watched wordlessly as the glistening strand was returned to its owner’s mind.

In a voice quavering with pent up ire, Minerva McGonagall cried, “That loathsome woman! We’re past the point where I can excuse her misplaced loyalty as a by-product of Hufflepuff House.”

“Surely Umbridge was in Slytherin!” Ron asserted.

Harry shook his head. “Mrs. Figg discovered the truth as part of her research for the museum display.”

“Shows how the ideals of loyalty can be subverted,” Tonks opined with a dark scowl.

“Twisted ideology,” Remus supplied curtly.

“But every single member of her Inquisitorial Squad was in Slytherin!” Hermione protested.

“Very true,” the Headmistress affirmed. “Who else would have been attracted to such a trail of slime?”

A deep voice cleared its throat ominously as a shadow detached itself from the far wall. “Surely, you don’t mean to cast aspersions on my House,” Snape issued with a dangerous edge. “I have no lost love for that Pestilence in Pink myself!”

When had Snape joined the gathering? Harry pondered amid the nervous titters which followed.

“Forgive me for misspeaking, Severus,” Minerva remarked smoothly. “Slytherin House may cultivate cruelty, but it does not have a monopoly.”

There was a sharp intake of breath in anticipation of Snape’s acid barrage, but it never came. With dark embers smoldering in the depths of his eyes, he grudgingly acknowledged, “Touché!”

Stepping fearlessly into the fray, Hermione ventured, “If you’ll excuse an observation from the Muggle world…” She waited until she commanded everyone’s attention. “This situation reminds me of those who refused to believe the Holocaust actually took place.”

Kingsley nodded his dark head, but before he could respond, Ron interjected, “Or those yahoos who refuse to believe the Yanks landed a man on the moon “ even though their flag can be seen through a high-powered telescope.”

“I’m not entirely certain about that last part,” Remus chuckled. “But you make your point.”

“I propose we launch Umbridge into outer space,” Fred announced.

“Have her give us a first-hand account,” George added.

“Don’t forget the rose-colored spacesuit!” Hestia Jones amended sweetly.

“Thank you, Fred, George, Hestia, for reminding us not to take ourselves too seriously,” Kingsley replied through a barely contained smirk. “I would, however, like to follow-up on Hermione’s analogy with the Nazi death camps.” Addressing her directly, he encouraged, “So how did Muggles demonstrate the true facts? Perhaps there’s something to be learned from their methods.”

Hermione chewed her lip as her mind struggled for a good response. “Well, firstly, they erected memorials; but we took care of that with the War Museum.”

“Check. What else?”

“The bodies which could be identified were buried so everyone could pay their respects,” she added, her mind searching for facts of an era long before she was born.

“Do we know whether Umbridge even took note of Voldemort’s smoldering corpse? Surely, it assaulted her nostrils on the way to work each day,” Elphias Doge put forth.

“Why would she?” Minerva retorted angrily. “It was just a faceless imposter in her book!”

“What about other casualties?” Arthur suggested. “There were numerous victims of escalating Death Eater activity.”

“You just answered your own question, Arthur,” Mad-Eye Moody growled. “To her, Death Eaters were nothing but a bunch of fringe fanatics acting on their own.”

“Perhaps I can help,” Mrs. Figg volunteered as she cleared her throat nervously. “I was only a young girl at the time, but the nightly terrors of that great Muggle conflict burned themselves into my memory. One of my best playmates had Jewish grandparents and cousins in Germany. She used to chatter all the time about how much fun we were all going to have when they came to visit over the summer “ only they never did. It was years later when I realized her parents had been feeding her false hopes to avoid explaining the Final Solution to a ten-year-old.”

“Thanks, Figgy,” Hermione sighed in relief. “I think those events predated even my own parents.”

“Glad to help,” Mrs. Figg flashed a smile that faded quickly before the grim memories of her childhood. “Muggles organized pilgrimages of sorts to the sites of the most gruesome atrocities “ so that others could bear witness to the worst in man and prevent it from ever happening again.”

“We can’t very well invite Umbridge to visit our private home,” Ginny supplied. “What would she see anyway? Other than the Memory Room.”

“The Memory Room is for the exclusive use of family and friends, not outsiders,” Tonks intoned fiercely. “And the area where Harry and Neville cut down Voldemort himself has been renovated.”

Forensic science might still be able to extract DNA evidence, Hermione pondered, but blithely concluded that would hardly convince Umbridge. Instead, she observed, “The Muggle peerage often open their stately homes to visitors certain days of …”

Remus’ glare cut off that line of thought. In a clipped voice, he remarked, “I’d hate to think we’d been reduced to that sort of pretentiousness.”

“First-hand accounts were also very persuasive,” Mrs. Figg offered. “But we already have those in the museum as well.”

“I doubt any of that will change her tune,” Snape dismissed with a curt wave of his hand. “You’re approaching it as if she doesn’t know the truth of the matter instead of how to clip her wretched little wings.”

“Severus has a point,” Moody concurred. “She’s too stubborn to back down.”

“So how do we entice her to scurry back into her rank little hollow?” Ron interjected, his temper barely banked.

Xenophilius cleared his throat as he waited for all heads to turn in his direction. “Seems to me that it’s a fool’s errand to defend a truth that’s staring us in the face. Better to attack the source of the misinformation.”

“Attack Umbridge directly?” Elphias Doge gasped at the ungentlemanly suggestion.

“I know it flies in the face of the idealism we have always espoused,” Remus considered. “But it may be our only option at this point.”

With an encouraging nod, Xenophilius urged, “It strikes me that this Umbridge woman was not particularly adept at making friends. Surely we could find someone willing to speak out against her.”

“How about the entire Hogwarts faculty?” Snape snorted with a dour grimace.

“Old news,” Ginny spoke up with authority. “Even the trail of Veritaserum abuse which Percy unearthed can’t be substantiated.”

“Regardless of what happened at Hogwarts,” Moody groused, “she can just assert she was following Fudge’s mandate.”

Harry nodded grimly. “All those Educational Decrees are displayed in the museum for everyone to see.”

“Her behavior at Hogwarts can’t have been unique,” Xenophilius posited. “Was she involved in any other Machiavellian crusades prior to that?”

Amid an exchange of stealthy looks, Tonks had the courage to speak up. “Umbridge gained quite a reputation in the Ministry for her restrictive legislation.”

“Werewolf issues,” Moody added. “Turned it into a regular pogrom, she did.”

Amos Diggory issued a nervous cough as he took up the trail, “Perhaps Hermione’s analogy is not so flawed after all. Need I remind you of the werewolf relocation camps? Even though much of the details were established during Umbridge’s Hogwarts assignment, she was instrumental in drafting the framework.”

“But was the intent the same?” gasped Dedalus Diggle. “I’m old enough to remember the Nazi threat just as much as Arabella.”

Remus nodded with sad solemnity as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “Albus certainly thought so. That was one of the reasons he was so keen on having me infiltrate one of the less prominent camps. Claimed they were the first step towards genocide.”

“That sounds too much like something from Voldemort’s bag of tricks!” Hestia protested. “How could the Ministry have gone along with such a plan?”

“They billed it as a social program,” Amos elaborated as Remus shot him a grateful look. “A bit of government intervention for unemployed werewolves. It could be argued the Ministry owed it to them since Umbridge’s laws systematically limited their job opportunities.”

“Theresienstadt,” Mrs. Figg muttered under her breath. Then with renewed courage, she reiterated, “It’s just like Thereseindstadt! The model Jewish settlement which was established in Czechoslovakia. It was later uncovered to be just a sham “ nothing more than a staging ground for Jews to be shipped off to extermination camps.”

“We’d expect that from the Death Eaters, but not from our own government!” Arthur railed amid much angry muttering.

“Umbridge was a Death Eater,” Percy pronounced to instant silence. “The evidence has just eluded us.”

“As we destroyed Hufflepuff’s Cup, there was a memory within detailing a strategic meeting between Voldemort and Umbridge,” Harry volunteered.

“They were playing Fudge as the unwitting stooge,” Ron elaborated.

“All the more reason to expose her true colors for all to see,” Kingsley emphasized.

“But how could such a thing go on right under our noses?” Bill ranted, working his way nearer to the center of the group. “Not everyone in the Ministry could have been so blind.”

“Blindsided, more like!” Hermione muttered angrily.

“I know for certain that Albus journeyed to London to address the Wizengamot in person,” Minerva volunteered with quiet dignity. “They chose to ignore his counsel.”

Kingsley concurred with a stern set to his lips. “Indeed. I remember finding him pacing the halls angrily, the air around him fairly crackling with lightning bolts of pent up magic.”

In a bare whisper, Elphias added, “There were those who had the temerity to call him a paranoid old fossil.”

“Fudge himself commented that he was ‘confusing us with the adversaries of his youth’,” Percy added thoughtfully. “It was in the transcript I filed away. I never really knew what the conclave was about before now.”

In an ethereal tone, Luna cut to the heart of the matter, “So Fudge sent Umbridge to Hogwarts to demonstrate that Dumbledore was inept. Not so much to subjugate learning, but so the Headmaster wouldn’t interfere in their plans.”

Harry sat up straighter as he recalled Dumbledore’s sage words regarding the near debacle he himself had weathered at Umbridge’s hands. The sad droop of his beard had contrasted sharply with the blue sparkle in his eyes as the stately wizard defended, “It’s an unfortunate fact of life that there will always be those who are willing to tell lies about us. It is our duty to disprove them with our actions. This is especially true for anyone in the public eye.”

At the time, Harry’s impassioned response had been colored by the outrage burning within him. “How could you just let them drag you away?” he’d cried.

“They didn’t,” Dumbledore clarified with an air of nonchalance. “But they were under the mistaken belief that they could usurp the power of my office by simply taking it by force. My absence exposed their lies for everyone to see.”

The very same thing applied here, Harry concluded with sudden clarity. The wily old fox had seen through their subterfuge, letting them play out their charade and expose themselves in the process. “So torturing the students and staff was not her primary goal after all,” Harry surmised aloud.

“No doubt she considered it a fringe benefit,” Snape interjected.

“Knowing how kind-hearted the personnel in the Magical Creatures Department are, how could they go along with such a plan?” Hermione demanded.

“Many didn’t,” Amos stressed. “There was a minor revolt of sorts. But in true bureaucratic fashion, they were allowed to transfer into other areas.”

“So their actions had no real weight,” Bill noted with a scowl.

“Only for themselves,” Amos supplied. “They were required to sign a detailed non-disclosure statement. All manner of penalties could apply if they gave voice to their misgivings.”

“I’ve never heard of such a thing!” Arthur protested. “That type of subservient silence is only required of those in the Department of Mysteries.”

“Hence the term Unspeakables,” Percy confirmed. “But this other type of contract would not have been standard procedure within the Ministry. That in itself makes it extremely suspicious.”

“So there’s little chance of these disgruntled employees coming forth, you’re saying?” Kingsley summarized.

“Actually, quite the opposite,” Hermione proclaimed amid startled looks. “The archives are in such shambles, it’s doubtful anyone could lay their hands on those nondisclosure agreements.”

“But without the contracts, how can you prove a conspiracy?” Ron questioned.

“Identical reports from varying sources -- yet the records have been misplaced,” Moody surmised. “Smells like a cover-up to me.”

“But could you prove it?” Hestia Jones insisted.

“You wouldn’t need to,” Xenophilius affirmed with fervor. “The declaration of these individuals would be enough to require a rebuttal. Then the Ministry “ and by extension, Umbridge -- would need to disprove the employees’ statements.”

“What about those employees who stayed?” Luna pressed. “How could they stand to enforce such heinous practices?”

Amos sat up a little taller as he responded directly, “We tempered those directives as best we could. Tried to maintain compassion in the face of intolerance. Not too much different from what we’ve always done.”

“Despite the punitive atmosphere, I can honestly say that none of the personnel at the encampments treated the inmates brusquely,” Remus testified.

“Perhaps you should elaborate a bit for our younger members,” Kingsley suggested softly. “Those who were not present when you detailed your findings before Dumbledore and the rest of the Order.”

Remus nodded wordlessly as he took up the narrative in a dispassionate tone, “It was a motley group of individuals. Some older men who played at draughts and backgammon most of the day, the women looking after the children who had been abandoned by their parents. Failing to make the act of being a werewolf a crime, the Ministry had to settle for prosecuting the unfortunates who were being supported by other family members. Those who truly posed a danger and deserved imprisonment ironically remained at large. Fenrir Greyback and rumored others could all prove they were gainfully employed “ and that was enough to satisfy the Ministry guidelines.”

It had been too glib a response, Harry concluded. Despite emotions the man couldn’t totally sublimate, Remus’ summary of those six months had barely scratched the surface. Who knew what true horrors lay beneath?

The tight grip of Ginny’s hand conveyed she was of a like mind. Only she had been allowed to visit Remus during the long convalesce which followed his undercover assignment. He had been a shadow of himself, she had whispered to Harry years later. The months of hiding behind a false identity twenty-four hours a day had made him feel like a stranger in his own skin, or so Madame Pomfrey had explained. That, too, was probably an overly simplistic interpretation.

“You knew about zis…atrocity… and yet did nozing!” Fleur glared into Remus’ haunted eyes.

“I’m certain Dumbledore wouldn’t have turned his back on these people,” Kingsley affirmed. “But Remus was sent on a fact-finding mission only.”

“Don’t look to me,” Remus replied. “I was laid up with the worst case of werewolf pneumonia Poppy Pomfrey had ever witnessed.”

“Unfortunately, Dumbledore didn’t get a chance to share the rest of his plans before his untimely demise,” Minerva supplied.

“And soon thereafter, there was no need,” Amos expounded. “The camps were labeled a drain on Ministry resources with little to show in return and allowed to disband. Very quietly, I might add.”

Just how would they assault Umbridge’s credibility? the discussion continued. By mutual consent “ and much to Remus’ relief “ it was determined that he should remain in the background. Eyewitness testimony aside, he was too close to Harry and thereby likely to be summarily discounted by Umbridge as nothing more than another of the Order’s pawns. Besides, as Kingsley emphasized, should the records resurface there was nothing to actually connect Remus to the werewolf compounds. It had been his alias who had been consigned there, not him. A fact which Umbridge could easily contort to make Remus appear to be the liar and not the other way around.

“Could you refer me to some of those disgruntled employees, Amos?” Ginny proposed. “I sense a breaking news story that needs pitching to my programming director tomorrow.”

“As for The Quibbler,” Xenophilius’ voice rang out, “I believe a picture essay of the abandoned camps would be just the thing to bring Amos’ eloquent words home. Are you willing to grant me an exclusive?”

With those preliminary plans, the meeting adjourned just as Dobby deposited a tray laden with freshly baked tarts on the dining room table.






Sneaking the last savory tomato tartlet, Snape considered how well the flavor complimented the Côte de Rhone which Remus had insisted on uncorking.

“It’s nothing to compare to your Margaux,” his host apologized.

“A lighter flavor to appeal to springtime,” Minerva asserted as she took an appreciative sip herself.

Excusing himself, Snape broke off to speak to Luna briefly. “I’m sure you’ll find the lease documents in order for when Neville arrives mid-week,” he commented, handing her a thick roll of parchment. “The extra greenhouse space will allow us to expand for a number of years.”

Luna’s eyes widened in surprise as she took in Snape’s impassive features. It just couldn’t be, she cried inwardly.

Her hesitation prompted Snape to add, “This is the right cottage, isn’t it? At the end of Ravenscroft Lane -- with a small pond in the adjoining meadow.”

“Yes, but…” Luna stammered. “Well, Neville and I discussed it at length and we decided it was much too spacious for just the two of us. Not to mention the expense…”

“I believe at least half the footage is attributable to the greenhouses and garden areas that are to be billed to my firm,” Snape confirmed as he tapped the parchment. “It’s all in there. I was able to negotiate a more equitable rent as well.”

Caught momentarily speechless, Luna allowed Hermione to redirect her to the group of young women intent on rehashing all aspects of the upcoming wedding.

“Why, Severus,” Minerva fairly glowed over her third glass of wine. “You’ll have us thinking you’ve turned into a milquetoast in your old age.”

“If wine puts such unsavory notions in your head, woman, I suggest you stick to whiskey!” Snape retorted. “The imbecile landlord refused to let me the greenhouses without the adjoining cottage. What was I to do, set up a rooming house for errant seventh years?”

“You’d put poor Rosmerta out of business,” Arthur supplied as he slipped into the conversation. “Not that I said that, mind you.”

“If Molly asks,” Remus clarified to knowing chuckles all around.

“Thankfully, Molly has her hands full with Bill’s girls as well as Eleanor,” Arthur noted. “Victoire claims to be just as adept as billie-yards as Teddy and offered to instruct her grandmother.”

“It’s billiards, Dad,” Ron sniggered. “Not something you would play at the Hog’s Head.”

Arthur shrugged with a wide grin as he mounted the back stairs to the playroom. “All I know is that Molly was a rabid gobstones champ at school. I wouldn’t be surprised if I come face to face with an accomplished hussy already.”

“That’s hustler, Dad,” Ron called into the rafters as Ginny giggled that perhaps Arthur knew precisely what he was saying.

“Please forgive me, Remus,” Fleur implored as she and Bill prepared to relieve Molly. “One of my grandmères, she served een ze Résistance een ‘er youz. She married eento a family from Arles. Zings did not go so well for zhem during zat great Muggle war.” Her unspoken words said it all. “But I did not mean to eemply you were a coward.”

“I didn’t think that,” he assured her warmly. “Such dedication to return from across the channel just for our impromptu meeting.”

“Not zo much,” Fleur confided. “Gabrielle, my sister, was unable to take off from ‘er work, so we moved Maman’s party to London at the last moment.”

“If you were intent on insulting me, I’m sure Severus could give you some guidance. He’s the one with the natural talent,” he whispered as he succumbed to her ritual goodbye kisses with good grace. After all, the Weasleys were the closest thing he and Tonks had to in-laws.

Her silvery mane shook slightly as she laughed in response. “In France, we say: il est coift comme un dessous de bras.” *

Remus threw back his head and laughed heartily at her brazen comment. Snape would have boiled her alive if he’d understood. Thankfully, a sweep of the far side of the room showed the man deep in conversation with Kingsley.

Instead, it was Minerva who ambushed him as she slid up soundlessly. “Just make certain I don’t hear such colloquialisms from any of your students, Remus. A bad hair day, indeed! You know how tetchy Severus is about his appearance.” The stern line of her mouth was betrayed by a small twitch in the left corner. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have the usual ton of paperwork waiting for me in my office.”

“Do you need an escort to the school gates?” Snape supplied smoothly, causing those in the immediate vicinity to start.

“Thank you for the generous offer, Severus,” Minerva replied as she quickly regained her composure. “But that won’t be necessary this evening. I need to make an intermediate stop at the Hog’s Head.”

“Of course.” Snape bowed graciously as in the next breath, he swept his dark cloak into the Floo and announced, “Thistletwine Tower.”

‘The Raptor’s Nest’ came unbidden into Remus’ mind, but he wisely kept silent. As an homage to the current shape of the man’s Patronus, it made perfect sense. But not even Tonks could be so flippant to Snape’s face without suffering the consequences “ and the man was unlikely to believe it was Rolanda herself who had coined the phrase.

“By the way, Aberforth sends his regards, Remus,” Minerva offered as she said her goodbyes. “He stayed behind to keep a watchful eye on Mundungus who had just settled into his habitual chair by the back fire.”

“So you’re off to fill him in,” Tonks surmised.

“Not entirely,” she admitted with a mischievous glint behind her square glasses. “I need to rescue Hagrid from his hazardous assignment.” In a bare whisper, she confided, “He volunteered to engage ‘Dung in a friendly card game to keep him occupied. I loaned him twenty galleons to sweeten the pot.”

“The Hogwarts Discretionary Fund,” Remus chuckled. “Is it your coins or Hagrid you wish to rescue?”

“Both. And he’d better have earned us a bit of return for our trouble, at that!”






As the warm glow of early evening descended upon Godric’s Hollow, the very last of the guests took their leave. Tonks excused herself to retrieve Phoebe and Teddy before they totally wore out their welcome with their indulgent grandparents.

Among the last to linger, Amos found Harry in the masculine confines of the study.

“Excuse me, Harry,” he began hesitantly. “I couldn’t help overhearing earlier that you never knew what happened to your grandparents.”

“The ones who originally owned this estate, you mean?” Harry clarified. “Used to live in the wing which Remus and Tonks renovated for their use.”

“But you’re certain of their dates of death?”

“Only because I visited the small graveyard on the hill.” Harry nodded towards the tall white spire just visible over the treetops. “It was on their tombstones.”

“But their names were Harris and Trudy?”

“Again, I’m relying on the grave markers. Let’s ask Remus, though,” Harry proposed. “He was often a guest while they were still alive.”

“But he didn’t know what finally happened to them?” Amos pressed.

Harry concurred with a morose nod. “He was away dealing with his own aging parents at the time. When he returned, James refused to talk about it and Sirius advised him to leave it for another time.”

Catching on to the tail end of the conversation, Remus leaned over Harry’s shoulder to supply, “Just add it to the things I regret not having discussed with Sirius when I had a second chance. I suppose it would be too greedy of me to demand a third?”

Turning his head to look at Remus directly, Harry posed, “What were my grandparents’ first names? All I have to go on is the tombstone.”

“Let me see…” Remus began as he ushered them into deep leather chairs. “They were just Mr. and Mrs. Potter to me. I believe he was christened Harrison, but went by Harris. According to Lily, Harry was named after him. I’m not really sure about Mrs. Potter. Sorry.”

Hoping to jar his memory, Harry supplied, “The tombstone reads ‘Trudy’.”

“Could it have been Gertrude “ or possibly, Prudence?” Amos volunteered.

“I’m not sure I ever knew,” Remus admitted then excused himself to see to the last of his guests.

Harry’s voice was tinged with excitement as he leaned forward in his chair. “I can tell by the look in your eye that you know something, Amos. Would I be too far off the mark?”

“Possibly, Harry. The dates are what tipped me off, you see.”

“I’m listening…”

“It’s a rather long story, if you really want to know the whys and what fors. Details that may matter to you as you weigh the import of the information.”

“Why don’t I pour us some wine then?” Harry offered as a quick flick of his wand summoned two deep goblets and filled them handily. “Remus has convinced me of the contemplative properties of ruby port.”

“You don’t wish to wait for him?” Amos suggested as the glasses settled themselves snuggly atop the small adjoining table.

“He’ll be along shortly,” Harry pronounced with a small smile. “The bouquet alone will lure him.”

With a chuckle, Amos allowed, “Such an offer of hospitality, I can’t refuse. Let me give you a bit of background. Unlike many others whose careers with the Ministry have led them to transfer through various positions, I have always worked for the Magical Creatures Department. Always felt that improving their lot would also improve mine “ or at least wizarding society as a whole.”

“My friend, Hermione, has a similar calling.”

“Yes, she does. We’ve become rather good friends due to a similar mindset. Like many of those in your parents’ generation, I married young and had children almost immediately. Perhaps it was something in the water supply at Otter St. Catchpole as Arthur Weasley can attest.”

Harry laughed outright. “Perhaps it would be imprudent of me to ask him point blank “ considering I just married his only daughter.”

“Good point.” Amos’ eyes crinkled in merriment as he resumed his narrative, “With two young daughters, I took advantage of a special assignment that came my way. A unique case abroad which promised a hefty bonus if my team of three was successful.

“There had been reports of rogue werewolves throughout the most isolated areas of central Europe and we were sent to capture and relocate these individuals to areas where they could observe proper safety procedures during the full moon. It was a delicate diplomatic mission as farmers protecting their livestock are prone to shoot first and not worry about the consequences. It would not do to have some hapless local brought up on murder charges once the carcasses returned to human form the next morning. For the sake of all, our Ministry undertook a humanitarian mission and I was only too happy to volunteer my services.”

“Did you find the werewolves?” Remus inquired as he took up the nearest chair and replenished everyone’s wine.

“Turns out there weren’t any,” Amos elaborated with a dry chuckle. “It was only when we got closer to them in Bavaria that it became clear the attacks were all occurring on cloudless nights. Yes, there was moonlight to make it easier to distinguish the farmsteads in the dark, but it was not necessarily a full moon.”

“Didn’t they get a good description from the locals?” Remus urged.

“Yes, and all the evidence still pointed to werewolves. The sheer size of them made anything else unlikely. Not foxes nor any other predators were bulky enough according to the accounts “ and they were very consistent in that respect. For a while, we entertained the notion that it might have been a tiger escaped from the local zoo, but that lead didn’t pan out. Some of the more superstitious locals, mainly Muggles, started a rumor that it was a ghostly white tiger which had wandered from the steppes of Russia or Siberia and was close to starving due to its long journey.”

Shaking his head sadly, Remus commented, “Leave it to Muggles to romanticize the danger…”

“So if it wasn’t werewolves, what was it?” Harry interjected.

“A pair of reprobates recently graduated from Durmstrang. They had somehow been able to get their Animagus forms to assume the shape of the legendary wolves of old, the ones which the townsfolk all recalled from the fairy stories told by their grandmothers. The ones which haven’t been seen in Europe for close to five hundred years or more.”

“You mean the wolves which are now extinct due to systematic extermination by farmers?” Remus suggested.

With a grim nod, Amos concurred. “Those two lads practically assured their own extinction. Got them up on charges of being unregistered Animagi and then took them back to their Headmaster to account for their extracurricular activities.”

“They probably wished you’d just fined them,” Remus opined. “Regardless of how costly.”

“Probably so,” Amos chuckled. “But this was a much more elegant solution. One of our team members had gone to Durmstrang himself so he had no trouble getting the Headmaster’s ear.”

“Karkaroff?” Harry posed.

“No, this was before his time,” Amos testified. “Some other chap whose name escapes me. Rather ferocious looking when riled, though; like a stout polar bear with a short beard.”

“That’s a very amusing tale, Amos,” Remus affirmed with a broad smile. “But how does it tie in with Harry’s grandparents?”

“Don’t rush the storyteller, my mum used to say,” Amos groused good-naturedly. “So we returned to the out-of-the-way inn where we had set up our base of operations to get our things together. The little side trip to visit the Headmaster had taken somewhat longer than planned, but it had been well worth it.”

Breathless with excitement, Remus prodded, “So you found out where the school is located? My son would love to know for certain.”

“Especially considering how many people have threatened to send him there!” Harry slipped in with a snide snigger.

“Wish I could help you out, but no. We met the Headmaster at his private residence along the shores of a remote mountain lake. I’m not sure I could even locate it on a map anymore. But the Institute itself was off-limits to non-students, we were informed very politely.

“Upon our return, we found our little inn swarming with police, all rooms quarantined due to possible health risks. My teammates went on ahead as I negotiated the release of our personal belongings from a room we had not occupied for a good week. Much to my surprise, I received a Ministry owl informing me to stay put as a member of Magical Law Enforcement would be arriving the next day and he would greatly appreciate it if I gave him the lay of the land, so to speak. The gentleman’s language skills left a lot to be desired, so I was able to avoid an international misunderstanding by extending my assignment for an extra week.

“Turns out there had been an incident involving a British wizarding couple on holiday. Little by little, we pieced together the story: how the gentleman was a great history buff and was determined to visit the decrepit little schloss on the horizon. Forget that no local guide would take him there, that the trail had washed away, that it was prone to landslides, that it was nothing more than a haunted shell; he would not be turned away. Finally, we found the answer inside his travel diary -- or rather the few pages my new friend from MLE felt he could share with me.”

“He kept things anonymous, I take it?” Remus remarked.

“Standard procedure. Even though this was a Muggle village, the foothills were not without their wizarding families scattered throughout. Finally a wizened old lady had come knocking on the travelers’ door, having heard of their interest in the ruin. Of course, they instantly recognized her as a witch. Although the trails were indeed treacherous, she was familiar with a well-protected Apparition point within the very shadow of the crumbling walls. So on a warm, sunny day she took them there, to the heavily-warded garrison where the infamous Grindelwald had been held captive for most of his adult life. The couple had a nice chat with the guard on duty who just happened to be the old witch’s great-nephew.

“Although it was not a site usually included in wizarding guidebooks, the British gentleman had meticulously pieced together the clues and had been searching various locales for a fortnight before stumbling upon the true location. We interviewed the guard himself who claimed the unexpected visitors had not been allowed to see the prisoner; there were very specific instructions about that, he assured us. Only one person allowed access and even he had not been by in years. And then he showed us the same logbook he had shared with the visitors, the stained parchment showing only a single name over and over again: Albus Dumbledore.

“So the couple returned to the inn that night, full of ebullient high spirits about their discovery. Now they needed to chart out the next leg of their quest to locate the site of the infamous battle where their former Transfiguration instructor had vanquished the very embodiment of evil. In the shadowy pub, they discussed their ideas that night, excited whispers among a room full of rough and rowdy locals. But as the proprietress of the inn attested, she always kept a close watch on the pub clientele as small groups of strangers had recently taken to frequenting during odd times. Furtive, suspicious types who kept to themselves in a dark corner and never looked her in the eye. And on that particular night, a group of four or five were there; each arriving separately and leaving alone, speaking in a foreign tongue which no one recognized.

“But unfortunately for the British tourists, they did not have so much trouble following along with the one group member who spoke in strangely accented French. And when that dodgy gentleman mentioned the golden bumblebee, the British lady jerked up as if they had read her very thoughts “ which I suppose they had.”

“I’m not sure I follow,” Harry murmured.

“Golden bumblebee is the literal meaning of ‘Dumbledore’ in French,” Remus clarified. “She must have realized they were using a code name.”

Amos nodded. “Which implied they were hiding something. Something underhanded. But it also meant their fathomless eyes had pinpointed her among the other denizens of the pub. And when the proprietress knocked on the tourists’ door with their breakfast tray the next morning, there was no answer.”

“Had they crept away in the night?” Harry pressed as Amos stopped to take a long swallow of wine.

“If only they had been suspicious enough to do so.” Amos shook his head sadly. “They were found dead in their beds. Poisoned in such a manner that it was as if they had simply drifted off into their final sleep. And despite the stringent investigation that embroiled the entire village, no traces of any poison were ever found in the pub itself and no charges were levied against the proprietress.”

“Do you think she was guilty, Amos?” Remus inquired.

“What you should be asking is whether she was in collusion with the shadowy gentlemen who had begun using her pub, among others, for their frequent meetings,” Amos insisted. “That was never determined and much of the reminder of the story I only cobbled together from my new mate in the MLE Department. I went home soon after to find my tearful wife had been eagerly anticipating my return to announce she was expecting once again. A boy this time, she was certain of it “ or rather, Molly Weasley was after taking one look at her silhouette. And if there’s anyone familiar with boys, it’s Molly.”

With a gentle smile, Harry remarked, “That was Cedric, wasn’t it?”

Amos’ smile was bittersweet as he replied, “Yes, it was. And he turned out to be a blessed child, if only for too brief a time.”

Harry deftly returned the conversation to less painful topics. “So you think the poisoned couple might have been my grandparents?”

“Well, they were being called Harv and Pru by the investigators, or so my friend told me. They traced that rough lot deep into the mountains and lost their trail; but not before they established conclusively that they were planning some sort of dark magic with Dumbledore as their target.”

“Death Eaters,” Remus surmised.

“Likely. Although the name of Lord Voldemort was not really mentioned within Cornelius Fudge’s hearing,” specified Amos. “Not if one wanted to continue with one’s Ministry posting, if you get my drift.”

“So what’s to say Harv and Pru weren’t just code names for the victims?” Remus pondered aloud. “Despite the similarities to the Potters.”

Gravely, Amos returned, “The date of their deaths. Husband and wife both die on the same day as this British couple. Now, I’m not discounting coincidence, mind you. You’ll just have to make up your own minds.”

“Are those records still in the Ministry archives?” Remus inquired.

Amos shrugged. “With all the rifling Umbridge has done, who’s to say? I do remember that when I first heard about Voldemort’s defeat in Godric’s Hollow, the name of the village rang a bell with me.”

“Is that where the British wizarding couple was from?” Harry contributed.

“I never knew. My mate at MLE said that was classified and I certainly didn’t want to cause him any problems. He’d probably confided more to me than he should have as it was. But I think, perhaps, it may have been in the heading of one of the travel journal entries I saw. Memory is a murky thing, you know.

“Take of the story what you will, Harry,” Amos offered as he slowly rose to his feet. “If it gives you some sort of closure, so much the better.”

“If not, it was a tale well told, Amos,” Remus attested as he toasted him with the last of the port.



* Literally: His hair looks like an arm pit.
Twenty-Two: In the Belly of the Beast by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty-Two
In the Belly of the Beast



The golden fountain in the lobby of the Ministry of Magic had been renovated since her last visit. Well, if you wanted to get technical about it, her last visit had seen the magical brethren as nothing more than shapeless clumps of metal, Ginny thought wryly. Nonetheless, gone were the golden centaur, elf and goblin who had once cavorted shamelessly in the spray. Although her adult self chafed at the subservient attitudes of the “lesser” beings, the child in her still recalled how the magical carousel had been a welcome prelude to her father’s miniscule quarters in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office.

Just as Arthur’s job title had changed, so the magical brethren had been recast into a soaring version of Prometheus stealing fire from the gods. As a metaphor for the harnessing of magic, it worked well enough, Ginny conceded; but the angular stylized planes which made the androgynous hero appeal to both witches and wizards also meant that no one would ever mistake it for a living, breathing organism simply frozen in time.

Ginny stared down at the badge clipped to her crisp navy blazer. It identified her as: Ginevra Weasley Potter, journalist; appointment with H.G. Weasley. Accurate enough in the superficial way that seemed to satisfy Ministry security. How much more compelling if it had labeled her as an undercover detective, an interloper intent on routing out the Ministry’s most guarded secrets? A provocateur, as Remus would have insisted.

The sharp ring of heels on the polished marble interrupted Ginny’s thoughts. Rising to meet Hermione in a sisterly hug, Ginny allowed herself to be led briskly through unfamiliar corridors and down a back staircase in lieu of using the golden lifts.

Breathless as she turned down the fourth flight of steps, Hermione whispered over her shoulder, “Just one more floor to go, sorry. The Archive Section is not strictly open to the public, yet all Ministry records are supposedly the property of the citizens we serve. Another inherent contradiction in a structure that seems to spawn them like rabbits. Ah, here we are,” she announced, nodding towards an unmarked door in the middle of a prosaic stretch of beige. “The curator, as such, is a long-time friend of Amos’ so she was willing to grant us special privileges. Her name Abigail Creevey.”

With a sharp lift to her eyebrow, Ginny noted, “I suppose it didn’t hurt that her sons were in Gryffindor, either.”

Introductions completed in short order, Ginny found Abigail to have an easy-going manner that soon put her at ease. At Hermione’s suggestion that they begin with a broad overview, Abigail threw back the barrier that restricted access to the archive chambers themselves and bid the girls to follow.

“I could try to describe the process to you, but a demonstration is so much better,” she asserted. Opening the first frosted glass door, Abigail expounded from the relative safety of the doorway, “These are the current archives. All the open shelves are organized by Department, then Division, Bureau, Office, etc.”

As they watched in awe, files of various thicknesses zoomed down a glass chute on the far wall and then shelved themselves appropriately. “As you can see, it’s a growing organism at this point with each area color-coded for easy --” Abigail’s lips pursed in a small frown as she added, “But still prone to human error.”

With a sweeping motion of her wand, Abigail stopped the chaos within and deftly weaved her body through the documents frozen in mid-air. On the upper-most shelf, a document flagged with a lurid purple flag was trying to settle itself among the yellow section only to be squeezed out by the neighboring files.

“Accio purple,” Abigail intoned with authority then redirected it with a sharp flick towards the other purple files. Turning to the visitors once more, the files behind her resumed their aerial ballet. “It’s the sender’s magic which is sloppy,” she explained. “The files recognize each other by color; but if they are not directed properly from the start, they become confused.”

Ginny couldn’t help but chuckle. “You’re like an orchestra conductor directing things with her baton,” she commented.

“Except that kettle drums don’t have a tendency to collide in mid-air,” Abigail rejoined with a sharp laugh.

“Does that happen often?” Hermione pressed as she pictured a cascade of paper which could easily bury a human being.

“Luckily, no,” admitted Abigail. “But in those rare instances, it requires members from each different department to properly reorganize the paperwork.” The sounds of whooshing air could still be heard as she shut the door behind her. “At the end of the year, the contents of the file room are reduced for storage in the historical archive section.”

Directing them towards the final glass door lettered ‘Examination Room,’ Abigail revealed a starkly white and empty chamber. “This is where we can review documents from other years. Where would you ladies like to start?”

Quickly, Ginny counted backwards in her head. The year of the Tri-wizard Tournament seemed a good place to start. “Autumn of 1994,” she told Abigail.

Abigail directed a small elf who had been hovering just out of sight to return with the next year as well. Within moments, the elf reappeared balancing two ordinary packing boxes on the tips of her long fingers as if they were weightless bubbles.

Taking the uppermost box labeled ‘1994’, Abigail placed it in the center of the empty room and returned to the doorframe. With her lips moving soundlessly, she pronounced the unlocking spell. The box trembled slightly as it absorbed the magic, then slowly unfolded outward and expanded until it filled the room to the very rafters. On all four sides, neat rows of metal shelves displayed rows upon rows of color-coded files as shallower carts holding oversized volumes wheeled themselves into the open areas of the floor. With a note of finality, a long countertop settled itself near the center as stools rose up from the tannish floor.

Stepping out onto what had once been plain brown cardboard, Ginny noted that the floorboards seemed slightly springy, like corkwood, under her feet. “Impressive,” she acknowledged as she took in her surroundings. “Each year cocooned in its own packing crate.”

“Here are the files from the Magical Creatures Department,” Hermione noted as she ran her fingers over one of the long shelves. “I recognize the green tabs. Why are these a lighter shade towards the end, though?”

“Those belong to the Office of Misinformation,” Abigail returned promptly. “See how there are only a few files? You could interpret it as not a lot of covert activities going on that year or…”

Instantly on alert, Ginny wheeled around, “Or what?”

“Umbridge was in charge of the Misinformation Office in prior years, wasn’t she?” Hermione surmised.

“Going a number of years back,” Abigail supplied. “Those shelves were practically groaning when she was in charge….But an absence of paperwork means only that.”

Catching on, Ginny’s eyes grew wide, “You mean the paperwork could have been misfiled.”

“Or lost,” Hermione supplied.

“Or deliberately destroyed,” Abigail volunteered in an ominous tone. “Consistency. In a bureaucracy such as this, that’s the first thing you learn. Within a matter of inches, each department uses up about the same shelf space each year. Even if there’s a major change in legislation, an extra eighteen to twenty inches should do it.”

“Would the legislation which imposed additional paperwork and review to employers of werewolves qualify as a major change?” Ginny prodded, catching the alluring scent of a breaking story.

“Certainly,” Abigail affirmed. “There was a quite a bit of extra inches allotted to the Werewolf Support Services that year. They provide assistance with job placements.” As Hermione’s eyes searched the green tabs, Abigail redirected her to the top shelf. “It’s in dark forest green, part of the Being Division.”

“Unlike Registry and Capture which are both part of the Beast Unit,” Hermione finished for her.

“So you’ve identified certain periods where there might have been misplacement of records?” Ginny mused.

“Now sometimes even that’s perfectly routine,” Abigail asserted. “Take a change in administration, for instance. It takes a while for things to settle back to normal. Files have a way of homing back to their nesting grounds, just like pigeons.”

“Is that what happened when Fudge resigned in favor of Scrimgeour?” Ginny posed, barely keeping her excitement in check.

Abigail nodded. “Granted that was a period of crisis and upheaval; but even taking that into account, some sections still seem mighty thin.”

“Does war generate more paperwork or less?” Hermione considered philosophically.

“I’m not certain that’s a mitigating factor at all,” Abigail opined. “But in this case, there was a complete revamping of our filing system. We used to house each department in its own separate crate, adding on to the existing years until the space was full and we started a new crate. Each lid was labeled with the beginning and ending dates. But right about the time Dolores Umbridge took over as Fudge’s Undersecretary, a new system was instituted. Each year is now allotted a crate of its own, even if it’s sent to archives only partially full. Rumor was that it made it easier for a biographer to identify the accomplishments of a particular administration.”

“Ego,” Ginny affirmed. “Fudge always thought quite highly of himself.”

“Accountability,” Hermione put forth. “Can’t be blamed for the errors of others.”

Abigail laughed. “Well, that certainly became prophetic in Cornelius’ case. He made enough mistakes of his own, I warrant. But as the direct arm of the Minister himself, Umbridge was able to repack many sections of files for safekeeping while we reworked the necessary magic….”

“Many of those files never returned to the archives, you’re saying?” Ginny urged.

“Not with any certainty, mind you,” Abigail admitted candidly. “But a good archivist just gets a feel for things. Like I said, the shelf space just wasn’t consistent -- not when you compare it with other years.”

As Hermione excused herself to retrieve some personnel records from a nearby division, Ginny fell into easy step with Abigail.

“You know I would have recognized that Weasley hair anywhere,” the older woman confided as she helped Ginny comb through folders tabbed in all shadings of green.

“Then you must know my brother, Percy. He’s always had a special fondness for reams of meaningless paper,” she added wryly as she shifted another irrelevant file to the bottom on her stack.

“And your father, dear,” Abigail observed with crinkled eyes. “Everyone in the Ministry knows Arthur, I daresay. He’s been a frequent visitor throughout the years. Why his Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office used to generate so much paperwork “ all those dead-ends and pointless leads, you see. He often joked that by the end of millennium, he would need a whole floor just to himself!”

Ginny chuckled appreciatively then supplied, “I see where Dennis and Colin get their organizational skills. They did an exceptional job of photographing my wedding a few months ago, you know. I think they were the only ones who kept their cool in the midst of all that turmoil.”

“Sounds like business as usual for them,” Abigail confided. “Even if it’s not everyday the redoubtable Harry Potter gets married. Colin, in particular, so looked up to Harry while they were at school.”

Ginny shrugged. “Harry’s not much different than anyone else. A bit media shy.”

“Dennis raved about the pet rabbit who wandered into so many of the photos. Said it added just the right note of whimsy to the formal surroundings.”

The casual words brought Ginny up short. After Hermione had recounted how posh Muggle photographers often incorporated photogenic animals in their children’s portraits, Ginny had simply reasoned the Creeveys had done likewise. “I assumed it was their bunny.”

Abigail laughed heartily. “A rogue rabbit, then. Were there a lot of woods about?”

Ginny nodded absently. “A fair amount of surrounding grounds, mostly left in a natural state. But everything’s fenced in.”

“Fences are no deterrents to rabbits; just ask anyone who ever planted a vegetable garden.”

Recalling that Tonks had started a small patch of decorative cabbages inside her private patio, Ginny conceded that Abigail’s explanation made perfect sense.

Ginny’s attention returned to her assignment as another angle presented itself to her. “What about classified documents?”

“Many of them remain in the Minister’s private archives. Especially if he feels that it may be a security risk for the information to become more widely known. You see that more in times of war,” Abigail elaborated. “Often documents become declassified at a later date and we have to integrate them into the appropriate year. I remember that vividly after Voldemort’s first rise to power; total mayhem for a number of months.”

It was nothing more than Ginny had learned from Percy. Since he was no longer the Minister’s senior assistant, he no longer had clearance to view those documents. When she’d tried to quiz him about those he’d handled personally, Percy had retreated behind the disclaimer that he could neither confirm nor deny any of her leading questions.

“What about the Department of Mysteries?” Hermione intoned with a broad smile from the doorway. “I never felt comfortable asking the Unspeakables directly.”

“Another mystery from the Department which seems to manufacture them, you mean?” Abigail put forth. “With your natural curiosity, I’m surprised you didn’t seek a post among them, Hermione.”

Hermione shrugged nonchalantly as she deposited a thin folder on the nearest table. “I prefer to be able to tell my family what I do for a living, thank you very much.”

Abigail flashed a resplendent smile as she pointed to a narrow section of glassine folders near the end of the top row. They were tabbed with some sort of iridescent material which caught the light invitingly, but there was nothing but empty air between the covers. “Take one down,” Abigail suggested as her wand commanded a small footstool to position itself in preparation.

Always one to embrace a challenge, Hermione countered, “I take it a simple Summoning charm won’t work.”

“Not without the proper clearance,” Abigail confirmed.

With a determined nod, Hermione retrieved one of the glistening folders Muggle-style. Awe painted her face as she hefted the ghostly folder. “It’s not as empty as it would seem.” She passed it along to Ginny for affirmation.

“Magical secrets,” Ginny conceded. “And if I had the proper clearance, what would have happened when the folio touched my fingers?”

“At first, nothing,” Abigail explained. “The safeguards require that you must also be within the confines of Level Nine itself or in a private viewing chamber. If you attempt to remove it from this room, it will hit you with a Stinging Hex and then blithely re-shelve --” Abigail’s words were cut short by the tolling of a melodic bell. “If you’ll excuse me, I have someone calling for me at the front counter. The shelves will automatically lock once I leave the room, but you ladies are welcome to review those binders which are already on the counter before you. I won’t be but a minute.”

As Abigail’s elfish associate waited patiently near the doorway, Hermione whispered, “Not enough on which to hang your reputation?” She indicated the thin stack of documents Ginny had amassed after a number of hours’ work.

With a twist of her mouth, Ginny shot back, “I could very well hang my entire career on this. All the way to the gallows.”

“I warned you the trail would be ice cold…”

“That’s just it. There enough here to be tantalizing without being able to pinpoint anything. These facts could be strung together in so many plausible ways.”

“And you don’t want to be painted as one of those barmy conspiracy theorists,” Hermione teased.

“That’s Umbridge’s role; we just have to unmask her before the public. But these records alone won’t do it. My programming director demanded that we corroborate our story before it aired. We didn’t have to reveal our sources, mind you; but they needed to be rock solid.”

Hermione flashed a smile that others might have labeled as self-satisfied. At that particular moment, Ginny found it inordinately reassuring. “Then you’ll be pleased to know that not a single non-disclosure contract has come to light,” Hermione announced.

Giving her a sharp look, Ginny prodded, “How were you able to go through these employment records, Hermione? If you’ve cut any corners I really need to know--”

Hermione gasped in mock affront then grinned that much wider. “All perfectly on the level, guaranteed. The employees were more than happy to supply Amos with official requests for reassignment to their previous duties.”

“And it’s standard procedure for the Department heads to review their files before making any sort of recommendations,” Ginny finished. “Are they really seeking reassignment?”

“That’s up to Amos,” Hermione dodged. “He’ll have to convince them that the working atmosphere has changed for the better, to start.”

Ginny couldn’t help giggling at their ingenuity. “Did you promise them a home-cooked meal as well?”

“No, but I’ll suggest it to Amos. Perhaps he can convince his wife. I’m not as good a cook as you are, Ginny.”

“Good thing Ron will eat shoe leather, Mum used to always say.”

Hermione punched her good-naturedly in the arm. “I’m not that bad. Ron actually takes time to chew and taste his food these days, you know… Now show me what you’ve got.”

A purchase order for outwear rated for polar extremes was first. “I found nothing to indicate that an expedition in search of the Yeti had been mounted that year,” Ginny remarked.

“I’m certain such types of exploration fall within the Department for International Cooperation,” Hermione asserted. “Besides, there’s enough gear here for a rather large contingent, children included.”

“Those small sizes could be for dwarves and elves,” Ginny refuted. “Especially if the goods were procured from a non-wizarding source.”

Hermione nodded knowingly as she perused the land leases made out in the name of the East India Mercantile Cooperative.

“These don’t seem dodgy to you?” Ginny posited. “Four land tracts and the photos show derelict factories in each case.”

Hermione frowned slightly as she turned the pages over. “Nothing to indicate how they were to be used, only the number of an appropriation which was curtailed after two years instead of five as originally intended. So far the facts dovetail with Amos’ summary.”

“I’m not sure I follow…” Ginny began as Hermione’s nimble fingers searched through the disbursement records for her Department. Then it hit her. “Of course, the Ministry uses a shell corporation in all land dealings with Muggles.”

“You’ll find the same company listed as the purchaser of the old Riddle prop--” Hermione halted abruptly. “There’s no record that any lease payments were ever made, though. Big gap in the numbering system.”

As Ginny rushed over to see for herself, the elf squeaked, “Begging your pardons, ladies, are you looking for information on a project of limited duration? One which might have required a special budget set up by the Wizengamot itself?”

Hermione smiled warmly into the elf’s over-large eyes. “Yes, indeed. How very astute of you to notice.”

The tiny elf held out her hands to indicate it was nothing out of the ordinary. “Phil is here to help. Mistress Abs has learned to delegate much in her long years of stewardship.”

“Your name is Phil?” Ginny posed as she bent over to direct her gaze more fully on the elf’s obviously feminine attire.

The elf nodded eagerly. “Short for Philemena, after my mum. She went by Mena, so I’m Phil.”

“Makes perfect sense to me,” Hermione asserted in a friendly manner.

“Mistresses are both looking in the wrong place, to begin with,” Phil maintained as she nimbly removed a gigantic volume from one of the rolling carts. With dexterous finger motions, the tiny elf maneuvered the tome which clearly outweighed her onto the long table in the center of the room. With a sharp crack, she Disapparated then reappeared almost immediately sitting jauntily atop one of the high stools. “Resolutions and bills presented before the Wizengamot,’ she explained as she tapped the dark cover meaningfully with her index finger.

Ginny scowled as she noted the thickness of the large tome. “Lots of pages to thumb through.”

“That’s one way to search,” Phil allowed with a dismissive shrug. “There’s an index at the back but everything is organized by date, not subject matter.”

“But you know another way…” Hermione urged only to be rewarded by an impish twinkle in Phil’s protuberant eyes.

“Not without knowing what Mistresses seek,” Phil replied matter-of-factly. “Elves have no talent for mind-reading.”

Ginny and Hermione broke out in laughter. Why Phil was just as outspoken as Dobby!

Feeling that she could trust the elf instinctively, Ginny supplied, “Werewolf internment camps. They may have been billed as -- ”

“An alternative housing project,” Phil supplied.

“You knew of this?” Hermione gaped.

“Only because of my daily duties,” Phil attested with a slight frown. “Bad precedent that. How long before elves become a nuisance in their masters’ homes?” Without waiting for a response, Phil directed them towards the line of files which displayed red and then black tabs. “Active appropriations are in red; those which have been curtailed in black.”

Within moments, Ginny had a thick file nested in her hands. Hardly daring to breathe, they spread out the paper trail before them.

“That explains how Umbridge was able to get the Wizengamot to go along,” Hermione hissed with barely banked anger. “They categorized it a government-sponsored housing project for displaced werewolves.”

“Blatant prejudice disguised as a social program,” Ginny confirmed darkly.

By the time Abigail rejoined them murmuring apologies about rampant incompetence, it was all laid out before them: a map showing the four leased sites situated in a wide arc from due east of Bristol to the northernmost camp which Remus had infiltrated. Alpha, Beta, Delta and Gamma Compounds. Rough diagrams detailed the arrangements of the living quarters and outlined any rudimentary renovations which had been necessary to make the abandoned factories habitable. It painted a grim and foreboding picture. Most ominous of all was that the legislation itself had not been repealed, just allowed to flounder without further funding.








With a satisfied grunt, Aberforth turned down the volume on the ancient wireless set that stood behind the bar in the Hog’s Head. The Friday night regulars would soon be slinking in and he needed to keep his wits about him with a roomful of renowned scoundrels.

Would Mundungus stop by as was his custom? he wondered idly as he swept the errant hay his goats always trailed in their wake. The WWN had done an admirable job of exposing Umbridge’s labyrinthine dealings with the selfless Ministry employees who had protested her master plan.

“A shell-game,” Hermione had called it as she’d outlined their plan before the Order members. “If it’s so hush-hush, then having employees sign non-disclosure statements implies there’s something that needs sweeping under the proverbial Axminster. But to suddenly find that not a single agreement made its way into the employees’ personnel files fairly reeks of a cover-up. By trying to mask her actions, that self-aggrandizing toad emphasized them that much more.”

Such a premise could easily have been overblown into a paranoid conspiracy, Aberforth noted with his habitual pragmatism, but in Ginny’s able hands it had the unmistakable ring of truth. Tucked in as a featured in-depth story, the daily news hour had ended with the young spokesman, Nigel Faircloth, airing his concerns with a humble sincerity that easily won the listeners over. It had been a good decision to use his voice and just allow the regular newscasters to supply the narration.

The second employee, Bertram, had a gravelly timbre that immediately brought a young Alastor Moody to mind. “I resigned my post with the Werewolf Capture Unit when our duties were suddenly shifted from stopping werewolf attacks to escorting those who had yet to commit any crimes to their new homes. If these chaps had trouble keeping a steady job, why could the Ministry not acknowledge that it was their very policies which were a major contributing factor?”

But the most compelling of all had been Danica’s recount of her last days in the Werewolf Registry Office. “We were all acclimated to the Ministry’s policy of barely banked intolerance,” she began lowly. “It was my job to help these unfortunate people regardless of each new questionable policy which came down the pike. But after weeks of counseling parents to abandon their children into the hands of the Ministry, I could no longer deal with the tearful goodbyes and recriminating looks from those innocent faces. Who were we to tell parents they had become redundant just because their children had been recently attacked? How was this lending them support and guidance?

“I came from a foster home myself and I know firsthand the emptiness of not having parents. What were we expected to tell these displaced urchins, anyway? ‘Mummy and Daddy have gone away? They feel it best that you come live with others?’ How was a child to not feel unwanted when his parents were alive and well in a nearby town but could only ‘spring him’ at the weekend? The whole set-up seemed too much like a leper colony for my taste.”

Danica’s entreaties were guaranteed to stir the public sentiment; an emotional reaction based on policies that were supposed to be formulated with unbiased reason. Not that bureaucracies weren’t prone to such torturous illogic; that had been one of Albus’ recurrent complaints when he stopped in to share a convivial drink. Pomegranate brandy he’d preferred, Aberforth recalled fondly, while he himself stuck with ordinary Firewhiskey.

He masked his half-smile behind a grimace as the front door squawked in protest. A hag dragged a wagonload of sandy soil with the hem of her black skirts. It was a yearly occurrence in Hogsmeade: the early spring mud turned into a thick layer of grit determined to coat every available surface. Just keeping it out of the glassware would be a challenge, Aberforth grumbled as he poured a measure of fermented dragon’s spleen and deposited it neatly before his first customer. She acknowledged his masterful wandwork with the barest blink of her colorless eyes.

A rough group of farmhands was next, claiming the back corner near the sole grimy window as they ordered their first round of ales. Firewhiskey would come next, he knew, as he double-checked that he had an ample supply behind the bar.

Aberforth had long ago discovered that his low-key approach often made him privy to secrets that would never have been voiced within hearing range of his venerable brother. Albus had always been the flashy, intellectual sort while Aberforth was perfectly content to be the salt of the earth. With that in mind, he’d devoted much of his efforts into blending into the background, allowing the Hog’s Head to maintain just the proper seedy veneer.

That was not to say he wasn’t proud that his pub had witnessed the first organizational meeting of Dumbledore’s Army. Civil disobedience in a disused back room, how utterly fitting. Umbridge’s aversion to goats suited Aberforth just fine; so unless they had been observed arriving, there was little chance of an embarrassing encounter within the confines of the pub itself.

Never one for prolonged conversation, Snape was a common enough customer; he naturally avoided the boisterousness of other watering holes when he sought to escape the persistent dankness of the dungeons. Even Flitwick was known to stop by on occasion, although his chances of stirring up a chess match were much better at the Three Broomsticks. Not to mention keeping a subtle eye on his House members, Aberforth chuckled. Minerva preferred to do likewise under the guise of Rosmerta’s renowned huckleberry tarts.

But Umbridge had shown herself to be much too high-and-mighty to rub elbows with the rest of Hogwarts society. Why Aberforth would have wagered she never set foot within Hogsmeade proper had he not caught a fleeting glimpse of her dingy rose overcoat as she sulked within a nearby alley. A scorpion who persisted in cloaking itself in spun sugar as her beady eyes categorized and criticized, dissected and demonized.

A sudden thought brought a slight frown to Aberforth’s lips. How would he respond if the Cultural Affairs Office petitioned to place a commemorative plaque in his back room? No matter how unobtrusive, such a thing couldn’t possibly be good for business. He shuddered at the idea that the Hog’s Head could become a tourist attraction. What would become of his clientele?

His establishment had never been the sort to appeal much to students. Invariably there were those who thought such a disreputable saloon would surely be lax about serving underaged wizards. He wasn’t; Albus would have roasted him and his goats if that were so. But it often took students a while to notice the resemblance between the two brothers.

It was rare that students sought to partake without their friends nearby. Afterall, what was the point of being of age if you couldn’t flaunt it? Aberforth was not so decrepit that he’d forgotten the exuberance of youth. Years later, he could still recall the impromptu party the infamous Marauders had held on the occasion of Remus’ eighteenth birthday. He’d been glad of the business that night as intermittent icy showers had convinced his more sensible customers to stay home that evening.

The lads had insisted on a roaring fire in the disused hearth in the back room. While a shearing bolt of lightning had driven Aberforth to make sure his paddock was secure, he’d returned to find they'd made quick work of clearing the chimney with a trio of well-placed Scourgify charms. The shortest of the four, Peter Pettigrew, was poised to open the flue with an expert twist of his wand.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Aberforth,” James Potter had assured him jovially. “Mum always puts the lot of us in charge of the fireplaces at home. We’re experts.”

Aberforth hadn’t minded, not really, although he’d grumbled about them ruining the carefully honed ambiance of his pub.

“We promise we’ll keep to the back room, mate,” Sirius Black promised as he shuffled a deck of cards with a gambler’s nonchalance. Behind him, Remus was enlarging a dart board he’d removed from his cloak pocket and magically attaching it to the far wall.

“What’ll it be, boys?” Aberforth demanded. “We don’t have much call for fancy drinks here, you know.”

“Don’t worry, sir,” Pettigrew squeaked through a toothy grin. “We remembered to bring our own paper parasols. Moony here can’t drink without ‘em.”

“Hey!” Remus protested with a flash of pique. “I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ll have a Firewhiskey. Neat.”

“See there.” Sirius nodded in approval. “Moony’s a man even by Muggle standards tonight. You might as well bring the bottle, my good man.”

At Aberforth’s skeptical look, James dug a handful of gold galleons from his pocket and placed them on the table. “I have my gambling stash in my other pocket,” he added with a trademark smirk. “Hagrid assures us there’s no objection as long as we agree to deal anyone in who asks.”

As the rain rattled against the roof, Aberforth decided that it would not be a problem that night. Despite being deeply in their cups, Remus more so than the others, the lads had promptly settled up at closing time and stumbled resolutely into the dripping lane. Their off-key rendition of a bawdy Gryffindor fight song that only Sirius seemed to know in its entirety would have made Albus smile “ even as he threatened to expel them if they ever sang such lyrics within sight of the Quidditch pitch.

A week later, Remus returned alone to catch Aberforth during the slow hours of the afternoon.

“I just wanted to thank you for your hospitality,” he’d begun hesitantly. “It was a birthday I’m not likely to forget “ no matter how hard I try.”

Aberforth did his best to mask the grin the lad’s comment elicited as he polished the bar absently with his cloth. “Did my brother, Albus, think you behaved improperly? I assure you, you did not.”

“But our darts--”

“What’s a few more nicks in a stone wall? Gives it character. As long as I didn’t hear any angry bleating, you have nothing to apologize for.”

“It was more Professor McGonagall,” Remus admitted as he eased his lanky frame onto the bar stool Aberforth indicated.

“A regular paragon of virtue,” Aberforth agreed, not mentioning that Minerva had been known to drink many a lesser man under the table.

“She set us all detentions for the remainder of the week. This was the first afternoon I was able to get away.”

Aberforth had heard bits of the story from his brother but was intrigued by the spin this punctilious young man before him would lend. “Can I interest you in something? On the house, of course. I never got the opportunity to offer you a birthday toast.”

“Nothing but Butterbeer, please,” Remus allowed with a hint of shyness.

“If you insist, lad. But it might be a wee bit out of date. Don’t get much call for Butterbeer in the Hog’s Head.”

Did Butterbeer have an expiration date? Remus’ intense eyes seemed to question. “How out of date can it be?”

Aberforth scowled at the thick layer of dust that had rendered the dark amber bottle a fuzzy grey. “A decade, perhaps?”

Remus chuckled as he wisely accepted a tall glass of cider. “Might’ve constituted a lethal dose, at that. I considered putting my affairs in order when I woke up last Sunday morning “ not that I could manage a quill!”

“So your Head of House couldn’t just let that be punishment enough?”

“Well, I suppose that was partly my doing as well. James was determined that no birthday celebration should be marred by nausea and snuck off to get a remedy from the Hospital Wing before Sirius stopped snoring long enough to stop him. Madam Pomfrey was duly concerned about the symptoms James described so she accompanied him back to Gryffindor Tower. Sirius was awake by then, but only his throbbing head kept him from cursing James into oblivion, Head Boy credentials and all. Claimed his hand was too shaky to aim his wand. Pomfrey walked in at that very minute.”

Aberforth winced at the bad timing as Remus did a fair imitation of Poppy’s officious tone, “‘And why would that be, Mr. Black? Is it some contagious disease the lot of you dragged back from the Hog’s Head? You wouldn’t be the first, you know! And, Remus, I thought at least you had enough sense!’

“‘And apparently they won’t be the last,’ McGonagall’s clipped tones came from the doorway as Peter buried himself under the bedcovers.

“‘It was Remus’ birthday, ma’m,’ James offered lamely as he wordlessly downed the draught Madam Pomfrey pressed into his hands.

“ ‘Were you determined to make it his last?’ McGonagall shot back through pursed lips. ‘Seeing as how Poppy will soon have you all to rights, I expect you all to report to my office for detention at seven.’

“Not knowing when to keep quiet, Sirius offered, ‘So you’re saying that if Prongs here hadn’t attempted to seek a remedy, suffering in silence would have prevented further punishment?’

“I could hear Peter groaning under the covers as Professor McGonagall rose to the challenge in true Gryffindor form. ‘What I’m saying, Mr. Black “ and that goes for the rest of you, as well “ if you’re determined to drink as men, you’d best learn to hold your liquor. I’ll expect all of you to clear your evenings for the next four days as well. Perhaps by the weekend, you’ll have learned some manners.’”

Remus offered up a sheepish grin as he took a long sip of cider.

“Seems to me that Sirius was the one who dug you in deeper,” Aberforth observed conversationally.

Remus nodded grimly. “I could barely wait until the professors were out of earshot before I blurted, ‘Hoary hippogriffs, Padfoot, couldn’t you keep your muzzle shut for once!’

“ ‘Blimey!’ Peter grimaced. ‘Good thing the rain had let up by the time we made our way back. If we’d caught cold, that witch would have punished us for the improper use of an Impervious Charm!’”

With a barely suppressed chortle, Aberforth conferred, “Seems to me she could have deducted house points as well…”

“Perhaps.” Remus shrugged. “But the others wouldn’t have made such an extraordinary muck of things if it hadn’t been for me.”

“Your eighteenth birthday, I recall.”

“Not just that.” Remus hesitated briefly as he stared into the depths of his tankard. Making up his mind, he supplied, “They were determined to cheer me up after my girlfriend broke up with me the day before. I never got a chance to invite her to the festivities.”

“Doesn’t sound like the type of party she would have enjoyed.”

“We had something a bit different planned originally. Only I couldn’t see celebrating at all, to tell you the truth. Not after the way she derided me up one side and down the other.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, why was that, lad? What had you done that was so spectacularly wrong?”

Remus sighed deeply into the golden liquid before him. “I told her the truth, the whole truth, and expected her to understand.”

There was no need to elaborate; Albus had long ago shared the secret of the Shrieking Shack. “I take it she didn’t.”

“Not even remotely.” Remus shook his fringe as if to rid himself of the memory. “At least she agreed not to tell anyone else. Claimed it would make her look bad.”

“Everyone gets their heart broken, lad. If your friends are able to look past your minor failings, there’s bound to be a girl out there who will, too.” At the sharp snap of Remus’ head, Aberforth pressed his advantage. “You’re thinking that a confirmed bachelor like me is unlikely to know much about women.”

Caught short, Remus issued a mirthless laugh. “Not me, sir. Wormtail -- I mean, Peter “ is prone to make such off-handed remarks; I like to think I have better manners.”

“You do at that, son,” Aberforth proclaimed with amusement lacing his tone. “Just bear in mind that my reasons for leading a bachelor’s life differ radically from those of my brother.”

As more and more customers drifted listlessly to their shadowy corners, Aberforth found himself seeing to their diverse needs without much conscious thought. His memories remained mired in the past as he considered how long his encouraging words to young Remus had taken to bear fruit. More than a decade, closer to two, he concluded, wondering wordlessly how the man found the energy to persevere in a world so dead set against giving him a fair chance.

It had been on the cusp of spring, Aberforth recalled vividly. Hogsmeade had been drowning in mud from the snowmelt as the sun did its feeble best to soak up the extra moisture. Even strewn with hay, the lanes were barely passable. Too many slick patches to allow even the most intrepid wizard to Apparate with any dignity from one spot to another.

Had Remus even realized what an unprecedented honor it was to have been allowed to Floo directly into the Hog’s Head? Albus always groused what a nuisance it was to deal with the Floo Network directly, but cutting corners required a tremendous amount of effort “ even for a wizard as ingenious as Albus. Make that devious, Aberforth amended with a hint of a sad smile.

In the middle of a somnolent afternoon, Remus had tumbled onto the worn flagstones, his lanky frame full of pent up nervousness. So much like an overgrown schoolboy, yet there was a fiery cast to his eyes that fairly made the air hum with determination. Pity the witch or wizard who stood in his way that day, Aberforth remembered thinking. Remus had been hell-bent on success or annihilation “ there would be no middle ground.

When he returned a few hours later, mere minutes before the Floo connection was set to expire, he’d been wreathed in smiles. Despite the fresh mud which liberally splattered what was obviously a new shirt, Remus was so lost in the clouds that Aberforth had spoken to him repeatedly before getting any sort of a response. He’d known then that no matter what other obstacles flung themselves into his path, Remus had been successful in finding the sort of acceptance he’d always sought.

In the intervening years, it was not unusual to find Remus stopping by the Hog’s Head for a birthday toast, usually at the slowest times when Aberforth would not be neglecting his duties for a welcome bit of conversation. In the dark years after James’ and Lily’s murders, it had been a bittersweet way to commemorate happier times with his friends. Voldemort may have been vanquished for the time being, but Remus had paid an inordinate price. Judging by the man’s gaunt appearance, there were times that Aberforth barely stopped himself from suggesting that those sickles would be better served to buy groceries or a hot meal, not Firewhiskey. But the words died on his lips with the realization that Remus longed for human company just as much as nourishment.

After Dumbledore’s name had been added to the roll of fallen comrades, the tradition persisted. Tonks often came as well, toasting Sirius’ memory with gusto even though she had never met some of the others. By unspoken consent, they never mentioned Peter Pettigrew anymore, not since his ultimate betrayal had been cemented in their hearts. Aberforth still suspected Remus recalled the carefree lad of that long-ago birthday celebration, though, as he struggled to understand when such friendship had twisted itself into hatred.

With a reverberating bang, Aberforth was jerked from his reveries by the front door clattering on its hinges. A hulking figure loomed in dark relief against the evening stars, but no one seemed overly concerned.

A gruff harrumph issued forth. “Sorry ‘bout tha’, mate. Wind whipped tha’ puppy right outta me hands. Evenin’,” Hagrid offered to the assembled clientele who studiously avoided his eyes.

“Another blustery night, I see,” Aberforth returned as he retrieved Hagrid’s oversized tankard from beneath the bar. With nimble movements, he pulled an extra long measure of the golden Cumbrian lager which Hagrid preferred.

By silent agreement, Hagrid slid two silver sickles across the bar in payment. It was no more than the charge for an ordinary pint, but Aberforth didn’t believe in needlessly burdening a steady, long-time patron. After all, he reasoned, if teaching salaries were not adjusted according to physical stature, shouldn’t the Hog’s Head follow suit?

“Any games afoot?” Hagrid inquired with a reassuring pat to his waistcoat pocket.

“Only some darts, but the evening’s still young.”

Hagrid’s large whiskers sagged. “I’m not much of a marksman.”

Aberforth gave him a sly look. “What better way to have them assume you’re a clod at cards as well?”

Hagrid’s face broke out in a wide grin as he took a long swallow. “I see yer point.” Lowering his booming voice to a low rumble, he added, “Did ya happen to catch the wireless earlier?”

Aberforth nodded, unable to wholly suppress the budding grin from his lips. “Aye. That’s a fine bunch. Warriors to the end.”

“Albus would’ve been proud,” Hagrid concurred as he toasted his former friend and mentor.

The hours bled into one another as so many nights which had gone before. But every once in a while, Aberforth would catch a snippet of conversation that confirmed just how many wizards had tuned into tonight’s wireless exposé.

If anyone commented on his distracted humming, Aberforth just attributed it to the three rambunctious kids his favorite nannie had birthed the past week. Through the open doorway into the kitchen yard, he could hear their contented bleating as they savored their evening meal. After all, it was the closest he would ever come to having grandchildren of his own.
Twenty-Three: An Experiment Gone Awry by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty-Three
An Experiment Gone Awry


The special edition of The Quibbler hit the newsstands on a drowsy Sunday morning while the WWN was still rerunning excerpts from their explosive interviews. On the cover, the grainy black and white photograph showed the bleak werewolf compound with an armed Ministry guard flanking the open gate. Only the dark birds winging across the colorless backdrop indicated that this was not a lifeless Muggle still.


An Experiment Gone Awry

by Xenophilius Lovegood


It stands in stark obsolescence in a world that has moved on. Where its abandoned chimneys one spewed black smoke over the tranquil landscape swallows now roost, surveying asphalt meadows that had once been green with spring grasses to feed their young.

The derelict skeletons of the Muggle steel industry still dot Britain’s landscape, bereft of life and purpose. But not really abandoned, not in the way that strict security measures made sure Muggles continued to blissfully believe. For a handful of these factories were employed by the Ministry of Magic in a far-reaching social experiment which has only recently come to light. Less than a decade ago, a series of four werewolf relocation camps were housed within abandoned foundries such as the one we visited in the gentle hills not far from the township of Wolverton.

Long banks of high windows allow sunlight to pour onto the pitted concrete floor of the main area where the men’s dormitory had once been filled with metal cots, wooden bureaus and battered steamer trunks. The women and children were housed in similar structures in the next building. A warren of smaller adjoining rooms were used for daily recreational activities such as bridge and backgammon tournaments, reading and the like. Deep at its core, the furnaces still bear smoky traces of fires once stoked to warm residents in the depth of a bitter northern winter.

“It was billed as a new dawn for werewolves everywhere,” long-time advocate Amos Diggory recalls vividly as he wanders through the silent edifice. “A place where they would be housed in comfort between jobs, free to exit beyond the stark steel fences once they secured a new position.”

But as the ragged barbed wire bisects the grey horizon, the hollow outlines of the guard posts stand in silent testimony. The iron mesh gates might have stood open during the day, but it’s a false sense of freedom that comes punctuated with armed guards “ even if their guns were loaded with tranquilizer darts instead of live rounds.

Like the infamous gates of Auschwitz which read: “Work Will Set You Free,” such irony was a staple of everyday life in Compound Gamma, as the site was identified on the Ministry blueprint. No placement officers from Werewolf Support Services ever traveled to any of the sites to assist displaced werewolves in obtaining new jobs. Why would they when the Ministry’s recent decrees imposed crippling restrictions on any employer open-minded enough to hire a werewolf? Nor was any rehabilitation or retraining offered to allow these poor people to aspire to a more productive life.

“It was a dead end; everyone recognized it, although no one was brave enough to voice it aloud,” Amos testifies softly. “Although its creators maintained it was to be a werewolf utopia, it was a vision which failed to match the reality of the situation. Freedom is too high a price to pay for room, board and the companionship of those similarly afflicted.”

Yet rounding up werewolves to participate proved to be remarkably simple. Due in large part to laws which required employers to notify the Werewolf Registry Office of all layoffs, even those individuals who did not apply for government assistance could be pinpointed. Without a spouse who was gainfully employed, a werewolf was marked for temporary relocation to one of the camps. For female werewolves, the system was even less forgiving as they were removed from their child-rearing roles if their husbands became unemployed “ even though, in many cases, the husbands themselves were not werewolves.

“There was a huge increase in werewolf attacks on minors during those dark days,” Amos recalls. “There’s no doubt that a sense of underlying panic had taken hold of the Wizengamot’s social conscience. Whose child would be next?”

But as Amos gravely attests, the creation of the werewolf encampments did nothing to stem the attacks; they just gave Ministry officials somewhere to relocate displaced children. Newly created werewolves whose parents could not face the obstacles in their path. Who better to care for developing werewolves than those of their own kind, Ministry officials were led to believe.

“For the most part, they were an easy going group,” Amos confirms. “The vicious, violent ones who sought to create more suffering among wizardkind with their ‘dark gift’ continued to elude capture. Many werewolves simply left Britain for less restrictive counties, thereby earning the euphemism ‘an ideal solution for all concerned.’”

Amos tells of the many long-time employees who requested transfers from the Department for the Control and Regulation of Magical Creatures as this plan unfolded. Far too many felt their career of helping a less fortunate segment of society had been subjugated by the Ministry’s short-sighted goals. Amos recalls adding his witnessing signature to non-disclosure statements that were required before transfers to other areas were granted, not that any such documents have surfaced to date.

“It’s as if their very presence signified there was a secret worth hiding,” Amos postulates. “The proponents of this stunted werewolf utopia would rather their deeds fell into dark obscurity instead.”

But somehow, Amos found the fortitude to not abandon his post when things were at their bleakest. “I felt that someone still had to try to create a difference in these poor individuals’ lives,” his gentle voice reassures. “If the Ministry was intent on giving them a raw deal, then I was determined to be there to cushion the blow.”

With a domed row of glass skylights, the oval assembly area that was used for the children’s playroom resembles a concrete circus tent. Although this camp was designated for the younger children, Amos stresses that rudimentary reading lessons and story-telling comprised a large portion of the daily activities, especially when it was too cold for outdoor pursuits.

It was in the education of the younger residents that the Ministry’s edicts were the most successful, Amos confides. But that was in large part due to the efforts of the other werewolves who were familiar with home-schooling methods and pitched in to assist. The process was streamlined by presorting the children so that age groups for 9-11, 12-15 and 16-17 were assigned to the remaining compounds.

“The adults were keen on seeing that the next generation was fully able to integrate itself into wizarding society, make no mistake about it,” Amos comments. “Our pleas to commence basic magical education for the older children were heeded for once; although there were some questionable delays in obtaining qualified instructors.”

Due to the uneven education of the adult residents, Ministry policy prohibited werewolves within the compound to carry wands “ even if that had been their custom in the outside world. “It was a safety measure geared to the lowest common denominator,” Amos defends meekly. But what wizard wouldn’t chafe at such demanding restrictions that tacitly likened him to a lowly beast, incapable of skill or judgment?

A persistent cool breeze teases dust devils in the long loading dock with its retractable steel doors which still move smoothly along their tracks. This area had been transformed into an impromptu infirmary during the bitter winter of 1997 when the Ministry’s grandiose plans began to unravel.

“It was a case of too little knowledge,” Amos recounts as his eyes cloud over at the memory. “We were aware that werewolves did not react to cold weather like others, having little need for overcoats or scarves except in the most extreme conditions. It was this inherent hardiness that led us to house them in such spartan quarters in the first place. It was believed that even in the depth of winter, the blast ovens within the factory’s core would provide sufficient warmth for their needs.”

What they failed to take into account, however, was that werewolves needed to consume extra calories in order to regulate their internal furnaces. Notoriously long and lean of limb, it is their bodies’ way of preparing for the upcoming cold. But in the late fall of 1996, the Ministry’s attention was consumed with fighting persistent Death Eater activities, its budget already strained in a losing battle against determined agents of chaos.

“By the time we realized our error, the deep winter had clawed its way mercilessly past the sheltering walls of the compound. An older gentleman was whisked away to St. Mungo’s with a dangerously high fever as all around him the werewolves’ natural immunity to disease began to fail. We scrambled to assemble specialized vaccines for unprecedented cases of influenza and tuberculosis, diseases which had never bothered werewolves in the past. Clothing suited to extreme cold was liberally distributed as dormitories were relocated deep within the furnace corridors to provide extra warmth.

“Most of the residents were affected in one way or another; the closeness of their quarters facilitated contagion. Changing to a richer and more complex diet, those who were not too sick to eat properly soon recovered their previous vigor. Not long after, the Wizengamot terminated all funding with little fanfare and the residents were allowed to go their separate ways.”

In the intervening years, Amos himself has risen through the ranks of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures and is currently third man in the hierarchy. Looking back on that dark chapter, he provides, “I cannot speak for those who penned this legislation in the Office of Laws, Edicts and Edification. Was it their intent to establish a serene oasis for a neglected segment of our wizarding population, as they would have us believe? Or were they a group of elitists who had found a clever ruse to avoid rubbing elbows with what they considered to be a less desirable cross-section? The irrefutable evidence of their actions is that this experiment was flawed.”

Why come forward after all these years, though? we cannot help but press. Is it just because interest in werewolves has recently spiked in literary circles?

He leaves us with these sobering words, “The concept of werewolf relocation was spearheaded by none other than Dolores Umbridge. The very woman who has presented herself as the arbiter of misguided Ministry expenditures.”








It did not take much persuasion for Dolores Umbridge to agree to defend her actions. The world needed to hear the truth behind the twisted allegations of disgruntled employees and verbose journalists, she maintained vehemently. All it took was a promise that the WWN would broadcast her interview live.

To balance out the coverage, former Minister Fudge seemed a likely candidate. Wes Morgan, WWN’s director of programming, was certain the man’s reasons for supporting Umbridge’s master plan would be the stuff of legend.

“Call it a political farce,” he announced with barely contained excitement. “Fudge’s buffoonery is sure to spice up the program.”

Much to their dismay, however, Cornelius Fudge was unavailable for the next three weeks.

“The Master is vacationing in Bermuda,” Fudge’s venerable house-elf had announced. As if rehearsed, she also unfurled the contract from the rental agency to illustrate that Fudge always rented the same spacious villa for an entire month in mid-April. “It’s just off-season enough for the Master to get a good rate,” she confided before excusing herself to attend to her other duties.

Not wanting to be left out of the picture, Rufus Scrimgeour volunteered to represent the views of the Wizengamot in general. “I can’t speak on behalf of Cornelius, mind you,” he’d warned with a mirthless chuckle. It was common knowledge that as Head of the Auror Department during the previous administration, Scrimgeour had often disagreed with official Ministry policy.

“You think the Minister also wants to make sure Umbridge doesn’t overstep her authority?” Ginny muttered to her boss.

“Absolutely,” he added with a sly grin. “And that, right there, is enough to guarantee good ratings.”

Within a matter of days, the WWN had secured commercial sponsors for their live interview and were ready to roll.






Eunice calmly reviewed her notes as an audio check of the guests’ microphones continued around her. From behind the two-way glass in the other room, Ginny paced nervously within the small confines of the facilitator’s booth. Remus and Amos had both slaved to ensure that Eunice’s questions would be hard-hitting enough that a facile answer would not suffice. It was Ginny’s job to have Eunice interject them naturally within whatever path Umbridge chose to take. By pointing her quill at the proper question from her long queue, the Protean Charm ensured it would appear on Eunice’s topmost parchment sheet.

So many things that could go wrong, Ginny’s mind churned inwardly, so many opportunities that she could fumble. Live broadcasts did not have a margin for error. It would either be a triumph or a disaster. If things fell apart, she just needed to make sure the fault lay with their guests’ reactions to one another and not with Eunice’s questions.

“I’m only a Patronus away if you find yourself in a quandary,” Remus had reminded her before she left the house. “Take a deep breath and remember you can always return to an earlier point if the need arises.”

“We’ll be listening to every word,” Harry breathed in her ear as he’d released their embrace. “You won’t be flying without a net, no matter how lonely it seems in your booth.”

A flash of pink through the window announced that Umbridge had arrived. As final adjustments were made to her voice levels, Eunice’s friendly patter quickly put her guest at ease. Ginny was about to mute the volume when a scowl on Umbridge’s face redirected her attention to the studio entrance.

Flanked by his customary Auror escort, Rufus Scrimgeour settled himself to Eunice’s other side as he patiently allowed for the requisite equipment checks. Umbridge’s eyes narrowed even more as Kingsley Shacklebolt assumed the adjacent chair.

“Why, Rufus, I didn’t expect you to bring the Head Auror as your assistant,” Umbridge oozed with barely banked hostility. “Expecting to encounter any dark wizards today?”

“And a good day to you, too, Dolores,” Scrimgeour remarked glibly. “Glad to see you’re on your toes already. Did you forget that the Minister is always accompanied by a bodyguard?”

“Don’t play me for a moron,” Umbridge bristled. “It’s your choice that’s unexpected.”

With unruffled serenity, Kingsley ignored her jibe as he whispered into Scrimgeour’s ear. At the Minister’s curt nod, Kingsley trained his impassive eyes on Umbridge. “If you’ll allow me, it was my suggestion to accompany the Minister today. All the remaining Aurors were on assignment. I could do a massive reshuffle or just fill in myself. Expediency won out.”

Taking a cue from the announcement that they had ninety seconds to airtime, Ginny watched the contenders retreat to their positions on either side of Eunice. Settling down to the task before her, she briefly entertained that perhaps her former classmate, Oliver Wood, might have been the ideal moderator for today’s interviews. As the Gryffindor Keeper, his experience with defensive postures would be handy in the brewing verbal match.

“Good afternoon, witches and wizards!” Eunice intoned as soon as the opening music came to a close. “Today in our studio we have none other than Dolores Umbridge who has kindly consented to a live interview. I take it, Ms. Umbridge, that retirement hasn’t been as relaxing as you might have wished?”

Umbridge snatched at the opening with a girlish giggle that showed a marked change from her earlier demeanor. “Life always comes with unexpected twists and turns, doesn’t it? For so many years my career dominated my entire life and now it seems, try as I might, I just can’t put it behind me.”

“There are those who would call that dedication,” Eunice drew her out expertly.

Chuffed at the compliment, Umbridge continued in her trademark saccharine manner, “I just feel that the public needs to know the truth, to hear the other side of the story as such. Although we may not always agree on the best course of action, we Ministry employees are all dedicated to furthering the cause of wizarding kind. All of us. I did not serve four consecutive terms on the Wizengamot to have my reputation muddied so!”

“I take it you’re referring to the recent controversy over the werewolf internment camps,” Eunice provided for the benefit of the listeners.

“It was a housing project,” Umbridge corrected sharply. “A social program such as those employed by Muggle governments to provide assistance. It was hardly a death camp as recent reports have painted it!”

“So participation was voluntary?” Eunice prompted.

“We allowed for volunteers; they would not have been turned away.”

“And just how many werewolves volunteered to be relocated?”

There was dead silence as Ginny watched Umbridge stare daggers at Eunice. Then clearing her throat in an overly artificial manner, she acknowledged, “Not as many as we would have liked. Perhaps we should have done a better job of getting the word out.”

“No statistics?”

“Those documents were filed in the Ministry archives long ago, I’m afraid.” Was that a small glint of satisfaction Ginny saw in the toad woman’s eye?

“I understand you were one of the major architects of the legislation itself,” Eunice inquired as prompted. “Surely you can tell us much more about this project than just about anyone else.”

“It was designed to help unemployed werewolves until they could get back on their feet. We were trying to provide for a segment of the population who is often ignored. No one was a prisoner, for Merlin’s sake! The residents were allowed to come and go as they pleased as long as they had a friend or relative assume responsibility for them until they returned.”

“But the friend or relative couldn’t be another werewolf, could he?”

“That was never specified,” Umbridge huffed. “But I don’t believe the situation ever arose, to tell you the truth.”

“What about the children?”

“Yes, let’s not forget the children,” Umbridge echoed with unrepentant hypocrisy. “It’s so easy “ and unfair “ to incite public outrage when children are involved, isn’t it? Holy hippogriffs! We don’t think anything of sending our sons and daughters to boarding school; why should this be any different? Many of these children were going through a traumatic period of adjustment. Interacting with others who were similarly afflicted demonstrated that it was possible to lead a productive life. Who better to assist them with the new challenges they faced?”

“Forgive me for saying so, Ms. Umbridge,” Eunice interjected with just the proper hint of humility, “but how could people who were forced to accept government assistance because of their lycanthropy be classified as leading a productive life -- by any stretch of the imagination?”

With strained patience, Umbridge replied, “The camp was designed to be a temporary refuge only. For the most part, the adult residents had husbands, wives, children of their own. Their lives were not unlike everyone else’s.”

“Until the new government policy required them to be separated from their loved ones, you mean?”

“Need I remind you that the gates stood open every day? Except during a full moon, of course. We just didn’t have the facilities or the resources to relocate entire families.”

“But family members could sign out a resident for a day or so?”

“Even longer if they wished to go on holiday. Although a short requisition form was required for absences of longer than a few days.”

With unerring accuracy, Eunice clarified, “You needed to know where to find the errant werewolves if it became necessary.”

“There was always another full moon just around the corner.”

“Such an open-gate policy makes me wonder how many werewolves simply didn’t return?” Eunice pondered aloud. “Did that prove to be a problem?”

“You’d have to ask Cornelius,” Umbridge harrumphed. Recovering quickly, she added, “That’s Cornelius Fudge, former Minister for Magic. He was also a great proponent of this plan. Involving Magical Law Enforcement would have been at his discretion, not mine.”

“Unfortunately, the former Minister is abroad and could not join us today,” Eunice narrated. “However, current Minister for Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour, was kind enough to lend us a bit of his time. Can you provide us with some background about the role of the MLE in this?”

“As much as I’m able, Eunice,” Scrimgeour answered. “I actually headed up the Auror Department during Minister Fudge’s administration so my staff would not have been routinely called upon in these issues. We had more than enough dark wizards to pursue in those days. But Ms. Umbridge is essentially correct: to involve support staff from Magical Law Enforcement required a direct request from the Minister himself. After all, the werewolf project was assigned to the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures “ and they have their very own Werewolf Capture Unit.”

“I was led to believe that Werewolf Capture only dealt with dangerous werewolves,” Eunice posed.

“Those who presented a danger to those around them, that’s true,” Umbridge affirmed.

“And those who roamed the countryside, blissfully underemployed, certainly threatened the self-contained utopia you had created for them,” Scrimgeour postulated with a daring lift to his brow.

“You have no right to insinuate that, Minister!” Umbridge barely managed to add the last word without sounding overly petulant.

“We have the testimony of a former employee of the Capture Unit,” Eunice interjected with diplomatic delicacy. “He was very displeased when his job duties were modified.”

“Official escorts only,” Umbridge defended. “A measure intended to avoid confrontations.”

“Confrontations?” Eunice was quick to emphasize. “Sounds like there was some resistance to what should have been a peaceful process.”

“Change rarely comes without strife,” Scrimgeour volunteered.

“Then you, too, supported the werewolf relocation project, Minister?” Eunice prodded.

With the slippery ease of a born politician, Scrimgeour prevaricated, “I was hardly involved in the project. In the wake of an unlawful incursion into the Ministry itself, my first priority after taking office was to deal with the Death Eater threat. It was all I could do to try to reverse years of inertia while Fudge insisted that his darkest nightmare could not possibly be a reality.”

“Are you not entrusted with safeguarding all of wizardkind?” Eunice proposed in a whisper that seemed to reverberate against the walls.

“I take my office very seriously, Ms. Sharpe,” Scrimgeour growled lowly. “But priorities are an unfortunate fact of life. We were facing anarchy on many fronts. A social program that was not performing according to plan was something to be corrected at the next appropriations meeting. At which point, the Wizengamot agreed that funding should be curtailed.”

“It’s a good thing you clarified that, Rufus,” Umbridge issued with a unique blend of sugary sarcasm. “Otherwise the listening public might think you had not been aware of the actions of a major branch within your government. When I was Senior Undersecretary to Cornelius, I made certain he always stayed abreast of things. Didn’t your personal assistant do the same for you? Let me see, his name was Weatherby, wasn’t it?”

In an icy tone, the Minister amended, “The lad’s name is Weasley, Dolores. Percy Weasley. I’m surprised you haven’t learned by now that employees respond so much better when you take the time to learn their names. Although he has since been promoted to the Head of Protocol, I always found Percy a most able assistant, rather a whiz at organizing the archaic filing system I inherited from my predecessor.”

Indicating Kingsley with a wobble of her squat head, Umbridge added, “And don’t give me that aloof look of yours, either. I know for a fact that you escorted werewolves to the facility personally!”

Eunice was quick to supply the necessary background. “For our listeners, let me explain that Kingsley Shacklebolt, current Head of the Auror Department, accompanied the Minister as his bodyguard today. Do you wish to respond to Ms. Umbridge’s allegations, Mr. Shacklebolt?”

Ginny watched as Scrimgeour spoke a few terse words into Kingsley’s ear as he unclipped the small badge which served as a microphone. Leaning over the Minister’s hand, Kingsley cleared his throat experimentally. At the soundboard, a young WWN technician made a quick wand adjustment followed by a signal to proceed.

“I won’t deny my actions,” Kingsley volunteered in a deep voice, “although they were motivated by leniency. I commuted an overly harsh sentence that would’ve condemned a man to Azkaban for a barroom brawl. By virtue of being a werewolf, any infraction, regardless of how minor, could not be tolerated. I obtained approval to allow the poor bloke to serve his time in one of the werewolf compounds instead.”

“You put a criminal in the same camp as women and children?” Umbridge gasped. “Who approved such a thing?”

“I did,” Scrimgeour defended. “And a bit of drunken scuffle is hardly the sort of thing which demands a prison sentence. That would have only been justified if there had been any deaths.”

Recovering quickly to the new question that Ginny hastily scribbled, Eunice offered, “Did this incident occur during a full moon?”

“Not at all,” Kingsley supplied. “Which was one of the major reasons why I argued that we had no right to treat this man any differently than we would any other.”

“When did this occur?” Umbridge demanded of Kingsley.

With a slight tilt of his patrician head, Kingsley made a quick calculation. “Fall of ’96, I believe.”

“I would’ve just been reclaiming my post as Undersecretary then. Working through reams of documents that seemed to have found a permanent home on my desk during my absence,” Umbridge mused. “Well, I have to say this gentleman certainly got off lightly in the end. Weren’t the compounds disbanded less than a year later?”

“Perhaps you can tell us a bit about how that came about, Minister?” Eunice interceded.

Before Scrimgeour could open his mouth to answer, Umbridge cut across, “Do tell, Minister. We’d all like to hear about the crisis of conscience that focused your attention on the werewolf situation “ considering the world was reeling from the murder of Albus Dumbledore at the time!”

The Minister took a deep breath as he composed his thoughts. With a calmness that showed signs of being frayed around the edges, Scrimgeour amended, “I believe you may have gotten ahead of yourself with the dates there. The crisis that necessitated the disbanding of the werewolf housing project took place a number of months earlier, when record freezing temperatures swept across much of the English countryside without any respite.

“Our data on werewolf physiology was incomplete, so we failed to anticipate the added strain such extreme temperatures would put upon them. Moving the dormitories into the old smelting chambers where a constant fire could be maintained helped to some degree, as did the course of vaccinations that were quickly reconfigured for werewolf immune systems. But the close living quarters ultimately proved to be the most problematic of all. Once the first resident was taken with an overly high fever and had to be removed to St. Mungo’s, there was little stopping the epidemic from spreading slowly among the rest.”

“What was the diagnosis from St. Mungo’s?” Eunice urged.

“Severe influenza brought on by hypothermia. The elderly chap had suffered from asthma as a child, coupled with decades of smoking as an adult werewolf. His system had been made inherently weaker than that of the others.”

“Did he survive?”

“Most definitely,” Scrimgeour confirmed. “Although by the time he had fully recovered, the decision to disband the compounds had already been made. So one should not jump to any grim conclusions just because he never returned to the camp.”

Ginny scribbled wildly as Eunice seemed to lift the words right off the end of her quill. “Were the gentleman’s camp associates ever notified?”

Scrimgeour stroked his chin in thought. “I’m not certain that would have even been possible, Eunice. It was decided that anonymity was the best we could offer these werewolves, so all resident rosters and visitation records were destroyed at the direct order of the Wizengamot.”

Digging deeper, Eunice inquired, “So restitution would have been out of the question?” .

“Restitution?” Scrimgeour considered the word as if he’d never heard it before.

To his apparent relief, Umbridge spoke up, “Restitution for whom?”

“Why for the werewolves, of course,” Eunice provided smoothly. “For those whose very lives had been impacted by the Ministry’s master plan.”

“We fed them, housed them, and in many cases also clothed them,” Umbridge shot back. “Why would they require extra recompense?”

“Besides, there was no appropriation for that,” Scrimgeour briskly expounded. “The budget had already been strained with the extra medical care and heavy coats which were provided to each and every resident.”

Ginny struggled with maintaining the impact of Eunice’s line of questioning. Somehow, she needed to expose the underlying elitism that allowed the Wizengamot to even consider such a thing as werewolf encampments in the first place. To her way of thinking, simply portraying Umbridge and Scrimgeour as unfeeling bureaucrats seemed too much like business as usual.

“So is this a plan you would like to rework, Minister?” Eunice fished. “What modifications would you make, Ms. Umbridge?”

Clearing his throat in a haughty manner, Scrimgeour assumed control. “It’s a dark page in history I’d prefer to not see revisited. Panic in wartime often fuels actions which seem overly drastic in times of peace. It was a social experiment which failed to bear fruit; let it rest in peace.”

“What made things so different in wartime?” Eunice continued.

“There had been an alarming increase in werewolf attacks, far too many zeroing in on children to be strictly accidental,” Umbridge supplied in her defense.

With a quick glance at her background material, Eunice asked, “At the time were you unaware that Fenrir Greyback was behind that?”

“We suspected,” Scrimgeour clarified. “Very little went on among werewolf society that did not involve him in one way or another. Particularly actions that seemed unseemly to the outside world.”

“Based upon general descriptions, I would think a major cross-section of the werewolf population would consider Greyback to be their enemy as well,” declared Eunice.

“He was the number one undesirable in the Werewolf Capture Unit, had been for years,” Umbridge volunteered. “But somehow he always outsmarted them.”

“My notes indicate that Fenrir Greyback is currently serving several concurrent sentences in Azkaban,” Eunice noted. “Was it the Auror Department who finally brought him to justice?”

There was a long moment of dead air as Scrimgeour mentally prepared his response with a few whispered words from Kingsley.

“Not exactly.” Scrimgeour had the look of a man who was artfully dancing around the truth. “Greyback waltzed into our office one day, practically dared us to arrest him on the spot “ if we were men enough. That’s exactly how he put it, too. If we were only men enough. I thought we were going to have to administer Enervating Draughts all around.”

Pressing her advantage, Eunice asked, “Any idea what prompted the man to do such a thing?”

Scrimgeour gave her a baleful look over his reading glasses. With an exaggerated shrug, he proclaimed, “With as many Death Eaters as we had rounded up in the wake of the final battle, perhaps he was feeling lonely without his usual playmates.”

Umbridge gave a most inappropriate giggle which sent unpleasant shivers down Ginny’s spine.

Taking a different tack, Eunice turned to Umbridge. “And what would you have done if you had caught him? Thrown him into the tank with all his brethren?”

“I can’t say I like--” Umbridge started to protest with a mighty scowl, but Scrimgeour cut across her.

“We would have done no such thing! Greyback was a criminal facing a multitude of charges. We would never have housed him with the others. He was destined for Azkaban from the start.”

With grim accuracy, Eunice proclaimed, “I sense a bit of unintentional irony here. Did anyone consider that concentrating the werewolf population in such a manner would merely facilitate their recruitment by dark forces?”

“If you’re insinuating that all werewolves are dark creatures,” the Minister warned tersely, “there are many in the Department for Regulation and Control who will vehemently disagree.”

“Not at all, Minister.” Eunice reeled him in with just the perfect hint of contriteness. “Reviewing the camps’ living quarters, I can’t help noting the similarity to military barracks. What are we to make of that? A ready-made army which already bore a grudge just waiting for some lunatic to rise to the fore?”

“We were more optimistic,” Umbridge dismissed.

“Admittedly, we were naïve,” Scrimgeour allowed. “Never anticipating that a self-proclaimed werewolf visionary would pen his fevered dream for all to admire.”

“So you would say that this anonymous chap was likely to have been a former camp resident?” Eunice mused.

“Anything I could offer at this point would be pure conjecture,” Scrimgeour demurred.

“All the reports I read indicated the camp residents were a complacent bunch for the most part,” Umbridge defended.

Too cowed by years of constant harassment, Ginny thought to herself, but stayed her quill. With sudden inspiration, she crossed through a portion of a question and reworked it to her liking.

In the next room, Eunice caught Umbridge’s beady eyes. “So no one objected to having to turn in their wands at the gate? I always wondered how a witch or wizard could accept such a restriction. “

“It was not a popular regulation,” Scrimgeour admitted in a hollow voice. “But, unfortunately, we couldn’t allow anyone with spotty magical training to be at the mercy of others who were more adept.”

“Any werewolf who had been bitten as a child would’ve likely received magical training at the hand of a parent,” Umbridge announced with absolute certitude. “It would have been unfair to pit them against someone who had a distinct advantage.”

“So you anticipated violence?”

“Not at all!” Umbridge oozed false sincerity. “But wizards use wands for all sorts of everyday things; spells can go awry…”

“Doesn’t cause much to start an altercation in close quarters,” Scrimgeour confirmed.

“Yet they were left defenseless under the influence of the full moon,” Eunice provoked.

“Some things we are powerless to change,” Scrimgeour attested.

It was the opening Eunice had been seeking. “What about the Wolfsbane Potion? Did it not occur to anyone that having the inmates curl into sleepy balls until morning would greatly ease the monthly transformations?”

There was a long silence as Scrimgeour’s facial expression betrayed just how many responses he considered and discarded. Finally he settled for, “I have to commend you on your thorough research, Eunice. But it’s not as simple as you would make it out to be. Sure a skilled potioneer can prepare the dosage for a single werewolf without too much troub--”

“Assuming he could locate the ingredients,” Umbridge interjected. “Not to mention how expensive they can be.”

“With a large group,” the Minister resumed, “it becomes extraordinarily difficult. Every werewolf requires his own formula practically. Age, weight, body mass; all factors which must be taken into consideration.”

“Not to mention we’re uncertain how advisable such a treatment is for children,” Umbridge supplied.

In a tone laced with regret, Scrimgeour concluded, “Like any other government-sponsored program, it all comes down to galleons in the end. The Wolfsbane Potion would have bankrupted us, I’m afraid.”

“What the documents cannot convey is the long-term vision for these werewolf communities,” Umbridge insisted in an ingratiating manner. “In time, we expected these colonies to become self-sufficient enough to allow family members to relocate as well.”

“Really?” Eunice stalled as the words slowly materialized before her. “What manner of enterprises did you have in mind?”

“The details hadn’t been worked out yet; I’m only giving you the broad overview. So many of the intricate workings were left purposely vague so the colonies themselves could decide what best suited them.”

“With so much untapped potential, you would’ve expected these same residents to be more successful in the outside world,” Eunice added on cue.

“They would certainly find it easier to coexist among their own kind,” Umbridge confirmed.

“Acceptance in the pack?” Eunice dared.

“Your words, not mine,” Umbridge shot back with such icy dispassion it was clear Eunice had struck a nerve.

“No, not yours,” Eunice provided, suddenly thankful that Ginny’s research notes had been so thorough. “But you are aware, both of you, that transcripts are kept of testimony offered before the Wizengamot in cases of proposed legislation as well as criminal and civil trials?”

“Of course,” Scrimgeour volleyed back. “It allows council members to review the proceedings even if our other duties demand that we absent ourselves from a session or two.”

Taking his words as a confirmation of sorts, Eunice elaborated, “What’s particularly striking is that when edicts are voted down, the records detail the many arguments which were crucial in bringing about that decision.”

“An invaluable source,” Scrimgeour agreed.

“However, if a proposal is accepted, the transcripts weigh heavily on the opinions of the proponents of the bill. Objectors are barely mentioned, if at all,” Eunice continued. “Historians might argue that elected officials did not want to be reminded of those whose clearer vision predicted disaster from the onset.”

“The nay-sayers,” Umbridge denounced. “Too caught up in tradition to turn their eyes towards the future.”

“Unfortunately, there are those who are never willing to give a new notion a fair chance unless they thought of it themselves,” the Minister upheld.

“I’m certain your predecessor felt that way, Minister. Cornelius Fudge was convinced that Albus Dumbledore lived to covet his office, forgetting that the post had been offered to Dumbledore repeatedly only to be firmly declined. Why was his testimony omitted in the case of the werewolf compounds?”

“I assure you, I was not aware of any such--” Scrimgeour fairly sputtered.

“We have testimony of other members of the Wizengamot who remember Dumbledore’s eloquent words quite distinctly,” Eunice promised softly.

“Madmen are often eloquent,” Umbridge pronounced. “A governing body has no business weighing testimony that is laced with emotion and vague memories. It would be like determining our future on the roll of the dice. Only cold hard facts are important.”

“How could there be facts with respect to an experimental community?” Eunice contended.

“We have only to turn to similar social welfare programs initiated within Muggle societies in Britain and abroad,” argued Umbridge.

“Just as Dumbledore made comparisons with internment camps during the last world war, some of which he’d visited first-hand,” Eunice prompted.

“He accused us of planned genocide!” Umbridge railed through clenched teeth. “Such closed-mindedness. This was not a ‘final solution’ as he fairly insinuated, but a social program.”

“But with such scope, clearly an inordinate amount of planning was involved in such an undertaking,” Eunice coached. “Was there any input from the werewolves themselves? How did they envision utopia?”

“You’re likely to receive a different response from everyone,” Scrimgeour cautioned.

“In a broad cross-section, that’s often the case,” Eunice conceded. “But for groups who have been herded, persecuted, stamped and catalogued without their consent, the results might be a bit more consistent.”

“How many werewolves have you interviewed directly then?” Umbridge challenged.

“None,” Eunice admitted. “But I can tell you how I would feel in their place: I would wonder about the reasons behind such a large undertaking requiring years of commitment, manpower and escalating costs. I would wonder why acceptance of werewolves into the general wizarding populace was never put forth as an option “ especially when it’s the most cost-effective alternative.”

“That’s hardly an objective approach,” advised Scrimgeour.

“How about consulting with those who are most likely to be affected by legislation?” Eunice remarked. “Seems to me that if you pledge to uphold the rights of all the citizenry, it’s patently unfair to allow one faction to fall beneath the boots of another.”







Deep within his bastion of polished mahogany, Gerard Mortimer allowed himself a satisfied smile. It had been a long time since he’d found wireless programming so amusing.

Ministers came and went, either imploding due to corruption or floating away on helium currents of pure ego. But that Umbridge woman was really something to keep airing her vapid opinions before the public like that. Single-handedly, she’d brought the issue of werewolves back into people’s minds.

All he needed to do now was stir in a spot of controversy and let the brew ferment on its own. If they wanted to hear a werewolf’s viewpoint, he was more than willing to do his part to make that happen.

With the unerring instinct handed down from father to son, Mr. Gerard knew that this was the moment. The tide of public sentiment was exerting its inexorable pull, calling forth his client in uncertain terms. He’d wager that within a week of airing the man’s carefully disguised voice, every witch and wizard would have purchased a copy of the enigmatic book, if they hadn’t already. Maybe even second copies, if they had worn down the pages sufficiently.

But being a gentleman, he really should send some flowers to that Umbridge woman. Having seen her squat countenance in the papers once or twice, he knew instinctively what she would prefer. Large, fat cabbage roses -- in varying shades of pink, of course. He stopped himself halfway to reaching for his quill as he remembered his client’s distinct wishes.

“I want the public to perceive me as the ‘lone wolf’,” he’d insisted from the start of their negotiations.

With utmost delicacy, Mr. Gerard had countered, “You should really leave the publicity and marketing to my firm. After all, we expect to earn our percentage.”

“It’s one of the few points I won’t concede,” his client affirmed darkly. “Too many mixed up loyalties still linger from the war. Better that I disassociate myself from them.”

Considering that he was already planning on marketing his newest client as a fresh voice in the wilderness, Mr. Gerard had relented.

Well, clients were known to be stubborn, he acknowledged. And some required more molding than others. He’d go along with the mysterious past and unrevealed identity for now. Sparking the public’s curiosity always translated into more galleons for everyone concerned.

There would come a time, however, when Mr. Gerard would have to sternly instruct his client that continued anonymity belonged to those authors whose works were destined for the dustbin. The readers needed someone to acknowledge the furor that his words had caused. Eventually, he would need to step forth and accept his accolades.

Either that, or it was likely that the secret would come out in a random manner. Better that they control the situation so it could be manipulated to its greatest advantage. Surely a man as practical as his client could understand such simple logic.

Certain that he was riding the crest of a wave, Mr. Gerard grasped his quill more firmly as he directed a note to Kingsley Shacklebolt instead.

When he was done, a small smile ghosted across his pinched features. The Muggle world beckoned seductively; perhaps with a bit of careful tooling, he could circumvent the Statute of Secrecy after all.






Despite the boisterous celebration which met her return to Godric’s Hollow later that evening, Ginny couldn’t help feeling that she had fallen short of her goal. So Eunice had exposed them both as postering politicians; would that really surprise anyone?

Harry handed her a punch cup with strangely sparkling contents. “Don’t let the virulent color put you off; it’s really quite tasty.”

“Another of Dobby’s experiments?”

“Xeno’s the mixologist; the directions came from him.”

Before she had a chance to fully appreciate a tentative sip, Ron sidled up and practically made her sputter. “We’re calling it Umbridge Stew,” he confided with a wicked smirk.

“Sounds like something that gives you warts!” Hermione chortled as she joined the group. “I can see why the twins rarely ask for your marketing advice. That name would put off even the most die-hard Slytherin!”

Reminded of the source of her discontent, Ginny’s shoulders slumped with weariness.

Instinctively, Harry allowed her to lean against him as he rubbed her knotted muscles. “Surely the WWN isn’t considering this anything less than a total rout…”

“No,” Ginny replied. “My programming director was guffawing so loudly only the sound-proofing in the director’s booth prevented him from being overheard in the main studio.”

“Then why the pursed lips, sis?” Ron prodded.

Ginny caught sight of Percy across the room, his arm draped easily across the sofa back as Penny, Tonks and Remus were embroiled in a lively discussion. Tonks’ exaggerated arm movements indicated that her spirited recount would soon have them all in stitches.

“Was it really enough?” she posed, giving voice to her inner doubts. “So Umbridge is a big, bulbous blowhard. She’s lived with that for years --”

“Decades,” Hermione corrected with a wide grin.

“Half a century at least,” Ron echoed.

“You don’t think she’s going to back down,” Harry surmised.

With a small shrug, Ginny explained how she had wanted to unveil Umbridge as the true villainess she’d shown herself to be “ and for that she needed to tie her to Voldemort, or at least Greyback.

“One step at a time,” Mad-Eye Moody grumbled good-naturedly as he helped himself to more punch. “This isn’t over yet.”

“What I’ve never understood is why Scrimgeour didn’t kick her out with the rest of Fudge’s staff?” Hermione mused.

“I’m sure Rufus is thinking that very thing right about now,” Moody affirmed.

“Actually, Percy gave me some valuable insight,” Ginny volunteered as she ventured another look towards the sofa. “He concluded that Fudge had never been the object of Umbridge’s unwavering devotion as everyone supposed. Her true loyalty was to the bureaucratic ideals espoused by the Ministry itself.”

“I suspect Scrimgeour also wanted as seamless a transition as possible in a time of crisis,” Harry put forth.

“If only I could have worked it into the interview that Umbridge had been sorted into Hufflepuff,” Ginny chided herself. “Start everyone thinking about her true loyalties.”

“Too deep a thought for the airwaves,” Moody remonstrated. “It would just play as an irrelevant bit of padding.”

“Yet it’s the key to the issue,” Hermione insisted.

“How so, lassie?” Moody urged as he adjusted his artificial leg more comfortably before him. “If it doesn’t bother me that everyone thinks that slavering toad was in Slytherin, what makes it so important to you?”

“You were in Slytherin?” Ron gaped.

“Can’t deny it,” Moody rumbled. “There was bound to be one golden apple among the whole rotting bunch. But it’s not the sort of thing one wants paraded before the public; too many bad associations. Just ask Scrimgeour himself.”

“The Minister was in Slytherin, too?” Harry prompted.

“Absolutely,” Moody reminisced with an amused grimace. “A smug little miscreant, if ever I saw one during my tenure as House Prefect.”

“See it fits,” Ginny proposed. “Scrimgeour is out to line his own proverbial coffer, but Umbridge is the quintessential evil minion.”

“So you expect her to admit it on air?” Moody chuckled darkly. “Percy would’ve tripped her up long ago if she were that careless.”

“Alastor’s right,” Hermione conceded. “You can’t get the listeners to connect the dots when they can’t visualize the puzzle like we do.”

“Besides, after the bloody nose Eunice gave her, Umbridge would be smart to stay out of the ring,” Ron supplied.

“Oh, I wouldn’t count on that,” the deep tones of Kingsley Shacklebolt interjected as he unfolded himself from the hearth. “I’d brace myself, Percy. The Minster insisted on making some notes while his mind was still fresh, so he may be calling for his Head of Protocol before the night’s out.”

Percy flashed an apologetic look to where Penny was resting her head against his shoulder.

“Wotcher, Kingsley,” Tonks called out lightly. “I’d’ve thought after being dragged about by the Minister for most of the day, your first thought would be to escape home to your wife.”

Eyes crinkled in amusement, Remus amended, “Not that we’re not happy to have you join our celebration, mind you.”

“I really only stopped by for a moment,” Kingsley acknowledged as he politely declined a cup of punch. “An express owl arrived at my Ministry desk. Contained an official requisition for an interview to be broadcast from Azkaban. Looks like our anonymous werewolf friend wants to come out and play. Thought you’d appreciate a bit of advance notice.”



.
Twenty-Four: The True Nature of North by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty-Four
The True Nature of North



It was a place were the laws of physics no longer held sway. A place of such unearthly power that wizards had long ago magically cordoned it off from Muggles forever more. Eons later, the residual magic of their spells still lingered in the air “ even though no one had the slightest inkling of how to undo the impenetrable barriers.

Having seen the fanciful maps of ancient seafaring peoples, Remus had often wondered whether any of them had accidentally stumbled onto this remote and bitter landscape. Likely, their wild tales had woven into the local folklore and inspired the artful renderings which often illustrated little-known areas of the map. It was not so absurd to think that the world was flat and that the oceans cascaded with a mighty roar over the farthest lip “ not when they had witnessed a similar phenomenon for themselves.

Or had it been one of those coincidences where Muggle superstition came so remarkably close to true facts in the wizarding world that it was practically uncanny? But Remus was a man too bound by logic to accept such accidental concurrences and preferred to see it as further proof that Muggles and wizards alike stemmed from a common root.

Now faced with the sight before him, it was difficult to accept what he saw through the Omnioculars which Alastor Moody had handed him upon their arrival. Even with an extra strong Impervious Charm and polar gear, the air still found ingenious ways to try to strip the very skin from his cheekbones. Yet he resisted the urge to retire to the nearby bunker in order to smell the sharpness of the lingering ozone. Its source: the storms which ringed the horizon as dementors had once guarded the black prison halls themselves.

Azkaban.

It was the inspiration for every fearsome prison which mankind had erected since. Often similarly situated on their own islands, fortresses such as Alcatraz had hoped to isolate criminals from the general populace. The now deposed Soviet Union had come the closest with their gulags; the enforced labor in subarctic conditions stealing the inmates’ spirits just as much as a dementor’s kiss. Any foolhardy prisoner who had sought to escape by swimming would have frozen instantly.

But all that paled in comparison to Azkaban. Impossibly perched on a bare outcropping of volcanic rock, the angry ocean swept continuously over its sides and past the precipice, creating a waterfall of gigantic proportions in the middle of the deepest ocean. To this day it was accessible only through Apparition and then only if one knew the proper coded spells which changed in irregular, but frequent, intervals. A single mishap and an escapee would find himself stepping into oblivion with no hope of survival.

He’d been surprised to learn that Azkaban was not situated in the North Sea as he’d always supposed “ not at least according to the labels on Muggle maps. Tracing a line across the top of the globe in Remus’ study, Moody had adroitly pointed out that a much vaster area was designated by wizards when they referred to the wild seas north of the British Isles.

“As the dragon flies, we would soon reach the polar ice caps and the rugged Siberian coastline beyond,” Moody maintained. “But it’s hardly a misconception the Ministry is eager to point out. Wizardkind would not have survived if we had not zealously guarded our secrets.”

It made perfect sense, Remus admitted to himself. The North Sea area that hugged the Belgian and Dutch coastline was crisscrossed with shipping lanes. Despite the Unplottable nature of the island, its magic would surely have caused even early compasses to register an anomaly. How long before modern sonar readings led to more and more ambitious expeditions to unlock the fortress’ secrets?

Recalling a lesson from his own school days, Remus acknowledged that the maps in the History of Magic texts often bore little resemblance to those of the modern day. It was not that the contours or landmasses were inaccurate he soon learned, but that wizards simply labeled things in a much broader sense. Many of the place names commonly in use were byproducts of the fractious nature of Muggle governments; and, consequently, held no meaning to wizards.

“Look at it this way, Moony,” James had postulated with a wide grin. “Muggles far outnumber wizards, always have. That’s why there’s so many blowhards willing to lend their names to every bloody shrub and boulder that dot the landscape.”

Not that many wizards didn’t suffer from a surfeit of ego, Sirius had countered as he’d launched into an impassioned tirade about the more detestable aspects of the Black family.

But it had been James’ wry commentary that stuck with Remus after all these years. So much so that he found himself offering the same advice to students who approached him with questions about the sites described in their history lessons.

The residual ache in his bones reminded Remus that it had been a long and arduous journey. The remoteness of the broadcast site necessitated special travel arrangements for all involved.

“Just be glad you’ve me as your travelling companion,” growled Moody as he arrived at Godric’s Hollow not long after daybreak. “Otherwise we’d be so covered in Floo Powder they’d think we were snowmen by the time we arrived.”

Floo Powder also created havoc with Moody’s magical eye; and the constant tumbling sensation of international Floo connections often made travelers unsteady on their own two feet, let alone someone who had to deal with an artificial leg. Kingsley was adamant that Moody’s specialized skills were just as crucial as Remus’ to the success of their current plan so a series of Portkeys had been arranged. The timetable was ideal for Remus who had his school duties leading up to the weekend and could not acclimate himself a number of days early as Ginny and the rest of the WWN crew had done.

“It won’t be like popping over to the continent for a cozy dinner in Paris or Rome, mind you,” Moody had warned.

Taking him at his word, Remus had made certain to get extra hours of sleep but to eat only a light meal before setting out. The first stops north through Sweden and Norway had seemed effortless, the summer sun shining at midday intensity as they proceeded through time zones that made the hours fly by. As the hour of dusk approached, though, the northern sun did not falter, giving Remus an unsettling feeling that he had left his comfort zone behind.

Instinctively, he recognized the distances were shorter if they traveled across the pole, but only Muggle aircraft could traverse that frozen expanse without risk of being lost forever among shifting ice floes. Before leaving the tree line behind, Moody insisted they don the fur-lined parkas which had been provided for their use. The buds might be in full bloom in the Scottish highlands; but in the arctic circle it was winter until mid-June.

It was with a shock that they tumbled onto spongy tundra that sparkled with ice crystals beneath a round orange sun. With a scowl, Moody checked his pocket watch and announced they were ahead of schedule.

“I told those wankers they were allowing too much extra time between jumps,” he grumbled. “Neither one of us has to deal with an army of suitcases like my ex's always packed.”

With a soft laugh, Remus took a deep breath of the pristine air tinged with just a hint of pine. Settling himself down on the nearest boulder, he observed, “I don’t suppose there’s any chance of a cup of tea, is there?”

“A regular pub would be more to my liking,” Moody snorted as he offered his companion a slug from the flask at his waist.

“Aren’t you on duty?” Remus replied as he politely declined.

“What makes you think it’s not ordinary water?”

“Wrong color.”

“Energy drink.”

“Too sugary for the most part,” Remus grinned. “And I’d only believe that of someone who’d spent most of his life among Muggles.”

“Like Hermione?”

“Or someone who embraces their customs, like Tonks.”

“What if I told you it was an Invigoration Draught?”

“They don’t work well on werewolves. Thanks just the same.”

With a small defeated huff, Moody screwed the lid back on and hitched the flask to his belt anew. “Feels too much like taking a swig before lunchtime,” he groused as he nodded towards the golden horizon. “Never have been able to sleep in this mixed-up land.”

“What about in winter?” Remus prodded as he uncapped the water canteen from his own rucksack.

“I’d be an imbecile to wander into the middle of a tundra meadow in winter! These old bones feel the cold deeply enough as it is.”

“They’d find you eons later. Cheek and jowl with a mastodon incased in the ice.”

“My point exactly! That’s hardly the legacy I’d want to leave behind.” Swiveling about to survey a dark flock of birds winging towards the south, he nonetheless took Remus by surprise when he posed, “What’s with the book?”

Remus shrugged for the benefit of the magical eye that was obviously trained in his direction. “Just a paperback I packed in case I got bored. Something I always do when I travel.”

“What is it about that particular book?” Moody prodded with unerring accuracy. “I found Kingsley with his nose deep in the same Muggle book and now you, too.”

Remus stopped himself from retorting that he was hardly a stranger to literature. After all, Moody’s powers of observation were legendary. “It came highly recommended by Hermione. Said it would help us to understand Umbridge’s mind set.”

“And has it?” Moody wondered as he read the upside down title. Brave New World. “Is this Huxley some sort of visionary or just a huckster?”

Remus chuckled at the irreverent pun. “A Squib would make more sense, although there’s no evidence to support that. Hermione researched that angle thoroughly.”

“Was this a recent assignment of hers? I know Amos often depends upon her to provide a fresh outlook in his Department.”

“Seventh-year term paper. Or as she preferred to call it: an undergraduate thesis.”

Moody harrumphed, “Pretty full of herself, wasn’t she?”

“You wouldn’t be so dismissive if you’d read her paper.”

Moody seemed to chew this bit of data before observing, “I thought Minerva served as Hermione’s faculty advisor.”

“Oh, she did for the most part. Professor Hooch filled in during the fall months while Minerva was overwhelmed by the transition to Headmistress duties.”

Moody’s magical eye stopped its trajectory to bear upon Remus in tandem with the other eye. “How do you figure into the story? Hermione hardly seems the type who would solicit outside assistance with her assignments.”

Remus laughed sharply. “Hardly. I would’ve been ill-equipped to come to those conclusions on my own.”

“Too far-fetched?”

“Too insightful; but with a clarity of vision that often comes from an outsider.”

Moody chuckled as he recognized the familiar outlines of Hermione’s take on wizardkind. “What foibles did she hold up for scrutiny this time?”

“Voldemort’s rise to power and how the blueprint was contained within two futuristic novels penned by Muggle authors.”

“Blimey! I never suspected Minerva of having such a cruel streak. Did she collude with Severus to come up with that assignment?”

Remus laughed deeply at the image of Snape trying to unseat the resident know-it-all. “He might at that if he hadn’t been deep in hiding during those months. But in this instance, Hermione was allowed to select the topic on her own.” Undoubtedly as a result of his own conversation with Ginny about her Muggle Studies project, he added inwardly.

“Trust your instincts, Ginny,” he’d counseled from his hospital bed. “Just like you did when you faced down Bellatrix Lestrange.”

“I’m not sure Professor Hooch would relish that comparison!” Ginny shot back irreverently.

“No, impressing your instructor with your prowess requires a different tactic,” he responded. “A truly outstanding paper requires 20% research and 80% thought.”

He’d left it at that to avoid Ron’s steely accusations that Ginny was being given an unfair advantage. If students only gave it some consideration themselves, they’d realize that teachers were thoroughly familiar with the subject matters already. Unless a student was able to uncover unprecedented information “ which was highly unlikely “ a simple recitation of accepted fact would hardly impress. No, a truly outstanding treatment relied upon a student’s interpretation “ the more unexpected, the better. The discordant elements which fused to create a new and unique symphony.

It did not surprise Remus, however, that Hermione had taken note of his words in the Hospital Wing that night.

“Right,” Moody’s gravelly tones insisted on Remus’ undivided attention. “So how did you fit in?”

“You recall how I was laid up for a few weeks after the final battle?”

“Farewell gift from Pettigrew.”

“Exactly. Dark magic from a dark source filled with dark intentions, or so Poppy Pomfrey claimed.”

“Always the fatalist, Poppy is. Still, it never hurts to be overly cautious in her profession.”

“I was confined to conducting what lessons I could from the Hospital Wing “ under constant supervision. So Minerva took over my Transfiguration classes and I met with Hermione in the mornings and Harry in the afternoons.”

“Thus circumventing the long-standing policy of same sex advisors.” Moody nodded. “Poppy gives a whole new meaning to the term ‘constant vigilance.’”

Remus decided not to mention the inevitable pairing of Pomona Sprout with Neville; proof-positive that Minerva was not afraid to break with tradition. Aloud, he supplied, “Enforced bed rest makes for long, boring hours spent staring out the window at others enjoying their lives. Trust me; I had enough of that as a lad. Since Hermione was using two novels as the basis for her conclusions, I started in on 1984. I was cleared to return to the classroom before I started on the second --” Remus waved the paperback volume of Brave New World for emphasis. “”so Minerva insisted on reading it for herself. By then I’d gotten so swept up in the entire notion that I practically begged Minerva to allow me to be a part of it.

“ ‘If only so I don’t have to read both books, then,’ she allowed.

“Although I always suspected she went behind my back and read it anyway. If not before she heard Hermione’s conclusions, she certainly would have been compelled to do so afterwards. As for me…” Remus took a deep breath. “I always intended to do likewise but never could find the time.

“When this whole debacle with Umbridge started, Hermione reminded me that it would give me additional insight. I suspected she meant to distract me from that deplorable werewolf manifesto in the process, but I can’t fault her acumen “ on either count.”

“Then why is Kingsley reading it?” Moody prodded.

“Because I recommended it to him.”

“Care to share what our resident wunderkind came up with in her…”

“Undergraduate thesis,” Remus affirmed with a knowing smirk.

“Aye. You weave a good story, but I’m straining to get to the point before the next Portkey looms.”

“She drew a most compelling parallel between how Huxley’s Brave New World was the springboard to Orwell’s 1984 in the same manner that pureblood mania had fueled Voldemort’s unique vision.”

Moody whistled lowly in appreciation. “And she pulled it off?”

“Admirably. Orwell had been a student of Huxley’s at Oxford so he’d been exposed to the tenants of Brave New World from the author himself. In it, Huxley describes a utopia in which humans are born into different castes with different job duties, each programmed from birth to think they have been born into the luckiest of circumstances. No room for dissention and no reason to be displeased.”

“It’s the Fountain of Magical Brethren translated into Muggle parlace,” Moody interjected. “No wonder you’d think the man was a bloody Squib.”

“Essentially, although Huxley claimed British imperialism had been his springboard. In 1984, Orwell took his inspiration from the communist movement, particularly its opportunistic attempt to swallow most of Eastern Europe in the mid-twentieth century. He describes a post-industrialist society ruled relentlessly by four Ministries, each dedicated to perverting the ideals which they claim to uphold. No personal freedoms allowed at the risk of an ignoble death “ not that life under those restrictions would have been any less ignoble.”

“Did he see post-Churchill Britain headed in that direction?”

“I saw it more as a cautionary tale; intended to warn the world of the dangers of waging constant war in order to maintain an economy which no longer produced anything of value.”

“Why four Ministries, though? Hardly seems a random number. The four horsemen, perhaps?”

“Only two of the Ministries’ names coincided, though: War/Peace and Famine/Plenty. I pondered that one for a long time, Alastor; but in the end I decided that it was Orwell’s attempt to draw attention to the incongruent elements of our own constitutional monarchy.” At Moody’s blank expression, Remus elaborated, “Take into account the two houses of parliament, the monarchy, and number ten, Downing Street. Four separate and distinct elements. As much as they often clash with each other, Orwell warned of a grimmer picture if they worked in dark collusion. Hermione postulated that Voldemort had been greatly influenced by 1984; and being a budding psychopath, had seen it as validation of his own utopian goals.”

“Dumbledore always claimed young Riddle carried Machiavelli’s The Prince around while at school,” Moody supplied.

“I don’t doubt it, but the publication date of 1984 supports Hermione’s conclusion that it would have influenced Riddle just as he was reworking himself in the guise of Lord Voldemort.”

“How close are you to the end of that one?” Moody inquired as his magical eye swiveled to pinpoint Remus’ bookmark.

“Only a few more chapters.”

“What’s the outlook for a happy ending?”

“Too soon to tell; but it doesn’t look promising.”

“Good. I hate saccharine endings. Would you consider loaning it to me once you’re through?”






Ruddy dragon’s spawn, it was COLD! Remus’ lungs struggled to breathe after the encapsulated whirlwind of the Portkey.

“I did warn yeh,” Moody chortled with glee as he tightened the straps on his thestral hide gloves.

“And how exactly is this preferable to traveling across the polar ice?” Remus groaned as his vocal cords strained to form coherent words.

“No polar bears.”

“A merry chase might be just the thing to keep my arteries from freezing shut!”

“So say the polar bears. I guarantee you, the end isn’t pretty.”

Remus shaded his eyes as he tried to get his bearings. Glare from the stationary sun made looking northward excruciating no matter how much he squinted his eyes.

“Here,” Moody offered as produced a tiny set of Omnioculars. “Can’t seem to set the polarization feature properly with these bulky gloves.”

After fumbling with the tiny gears himself, Remus resorted to a mumbled spell with his wand. “If I don’t fry my retinas off, you’ll know I succeeded.”

A purple row of mountains rose like the spiny back of a sea creature before him. The grayish masses which frosted their summits had to be snow “ which explained the blinding reflection that had assaulted him.

Moody took the proffered Omnioculars from Remus’ mitt and nodded curtly. “Right were we should be,” he muttered more to himself than anything.

“Please forgive me for disparaging your skills as a travel guide, but where in blazes are we?”

“Byrranga Mountains,” Moody supplied as if that explained everything. “We’re standing in the foothills.”

“Allowing that we can’t just go popping into the High Street no matter how small and insignificant the villages may be --”

“No sane Muggle would choose to live here. Even the gulags settled for less forbidding areas. We’re just taking a brief detour.”

“Why? I thought we were in a time crunch!”

“That’s the problem when you’re a free-lancer like me,” Moody explained, relishing the Muggle terminology Tonks had taught him. “Every other Department feels like they can claim a chunk of your time. I promised I’d take a quick shufti for an Unspeakable mate.”

“And you couldn’t resist bringing me along?” Remus groused more to keep his jaw muscles from seizing shut than anything else.

Moody shrugged nonchalantly. “Consider it payback for all the desultory routes your pub conversations have taken.”

“If you found my topics ponderous, you could have encouraged me less. Firewhiskey makes me more talkative, not sullen like some.” Remus spared a silent thought of Sirius.

“Oh, you’re always entertaining,” Moody shot back with a grin. “Even more so when you and Hermione put your heads together. If you two are ever looking for a career change, you should seriously consider establishing one of those organizations that generates ideas. Like they do in America.”

It took a few minutes for Remus to catch on. “You mean a think tank? Those are primarily run by borderline fanatics who could stand to edit the majority of the rubbish they spew forth.”

“Your words not mine. Visionaries without borders, I’d say.”

“Why do I feel like that’s a euphemism for the -- ” Remus stopped himself as a peculiar electrical sensation made the hair on his arms stand on end. Apprehensively, he gazed past the swirling snow crystals that whipped about their faces, but the sky was colored an incongruent rose by the slanting rays of the sun.

“I felt it, too,” Moody growled in reassurance. “My eye’s been going haywire with all the different frequencies. I’m hoping it’s an indicator that the dementors are breeding with abandon.”

It hit Remus like an icy avalanche. No wonder the mountain range seemed vaguely familiar. Hoping outrage would shield him from the despair that was dwelling in too close proximity, he railed, “What could be worse than coming face to face with a herd of dementors?”

Unperturbed, Moody remarked, “Quite a few things considering how handy the two of us are with Patronuses. This patch of land was uninhabited long before the dementors were relocated. Seemed the ideal site, really. All our studies showed the nasty creatures are totally unaffected by man-made scourges.”

“What sort of scourges? Disease? Epidemics?”

“Totalitarian governments who were intent on making their mark in the burgeoning field of nuclear energy. But that was decades ago, 35 years at least. Nothing to worry about.”

Remus’ veins froze with a terror that far eclipsed anything a dementor could have generated. “Radiation?” he wheezed. “Did Tonks tell you she didn’t want any more children, because it’s news to me!”

“Dissipated long ago.”

Decayed, Remus corrected inwardly; nuclear energy decays, not dissipates. Aloud, he urged, “What makes you so bloody certain?”

Moody tapped his restless magical eye. “Would have caught the shimmering trail it leaves in its wake.”

“But a nuclear accident of such proportions would have made world news. Even the Prophet wouldn’t have failed to comment on the irresponsibility of the Muggles who rule our world; I can just hear their string section tuning up.”

“Why is this the first you’ve heard of it?” Moody surmised. At Remus’ sharp nod, he continued, “Massive cover-up. Or rather, total lack of information. No survivors to carry the tale. Only recently did the Russian Ministry of Magic put all the pieces together. A map from the early twentieth century showed a number of small villages dotting the area. More recent maps show absolutely nothing. Looks like someone took a massive eraser to the area. Only the contours of the mountains and foothills remain.”

“Did anyone take into account Josef Stalin’s aggressive pogroms?”

Moody leveled a stern look at his companion. “You’re not the only wizard who’s attuned to the happenings in the Muggle world. This was much bigger than that. Annihilation on a much broader scale. The Russians assured us that the area has been thoroughly cleaned-up by those responsible.”

But they would have exposed themselves in the process, Remus started to say then stopped himself when the stark truth turned his stomach. The enforced labor of political dissidents that was known to move mountains. It had just been one more gruesome assignment for the gulag crew. “We’re cooperating with those who harbor a complete disregard for human life,” he growled deep in his throat.

Moody’s voice was full of gravitas as he cautioned, “Do not equate the actions of past administrations with those of an entire nationality. The same could easily be said of our government for having condemned Sirius without a trial.”

Remus hung his head to hide the single tear which had caught him by surprise. After all, he had long ago ceased to chastise himself for not having made the pilgrimage during those desolate years when his friend had been wrongly imprisoned. Ironically, it had been Sirius himself who had set him straight.

“Sweet Merlin’s knickers!” Sirius exclaimed as they spent another lonely night catching up around the kitchen table at number twelve, Grimmauld Place. “Don’t you ever tire of beating yourself up needlessly?”

“I’m not sure--” Remus started to protest only to be cut short.

“Why would you have gone to visit a traitor? Answer me that, Moony. Because until we met up again in the Shrieking Shack twelve years later, even you had no real idea of the truth.”

Refusing to back down, Remus emphasized, “You were still my friend. The last remaining Marauder.”

“Who had single-handedly brought about the murder of the others -- or so you thought. Besides, your misplaced altruism would have required me to assume human shape thus subjecting my mind to the dementors.”

Remaining in Animagus form among the shadows in his squalid cell had allowed Sirius to retain his last shred of humanity, Remus recalled. Otherwise, he would have likely been staring into the eyes of a soulless madman that very minute.

Capitulating, Remus noted with typical gallows humor, “So in hindsight, my cowardly carcass would have just kept you from fulfilling your master plan.”

With a sharp bark of a laugh, Sirius had thumped Remus companionably on the back as he refilled their glasses with Firewhiskey.

With a start, Remus realized it was Moody’s thick glove on his back and not Sirius’.

“We would be just like those past tyrants if we did away with the dementor population,” Moody pronounced softly. “It was the Russians’ way of making amends by contacting the Office of International Cooperation and volunteering this site.”

“So tell me about the Dementor Program,” Remus insisted as he turned his sights away from the past.

“It’s being handled by the Unspeakables in the Department of Mysteries.”

“Must you constantly be a thorn in my side, old man?” Remus rumbled. “I’m aware of the friction this has caused with the Magical Creatures Department who feel that all species’ preserves fall within their jurisdiction. Don’t brush me off with common knowledge once you dragged my arse to this forsaken hillside!”

Moody issued a deep belly laugh. “I’m hardly an expert, mind you. They breed only when they feel the conditions are right.”

“Such as when they were intent on helping Voldemort’s dark forces enslave the world?”

“I don’t pretend to know how the creatures think, mind you. My mate just said they have to be content to breed. Apparently this climate suits them as their surroundings come pre-encased in ice.”

“Surely they don’t expect us to conduct a census!”

“No clipboards for the data,” Moody chuckled. “Just a quick boundary search should suffice. It’s a huge expenditure to mount an expedition so they wanted me to see if such a thing was warranted in the first place.”

“As long as you were planning to be in the vicinity.”

“Admittedly, I was a bit curious. Don’t look at me like that! I’m not Hagrid who’s going to want to take one home as a pet. No matter how lonely my bachelor’s life can get.”

“So what are your findings?”

“That I can’t see a ruddy thing from this hillside. We’ll have to go in closer.”

“Blathering banshees, Alastor! Those things are dangerous!”

“So are werewolves; yet you don’t see me reconsidering.”

“It’s not a full moon. That’s the one thing you can be sure of in this perpetual afternoon.”

“Not true. The moon still rises, but can only be seen from a very limited area. The Azkaban guards testify that werewolves still transform; that’s why the lunar charts were consulted very carefully when planning this expedition.”

“Good to know you haven’t forgotten our true objective,” Remus mumbled as he slung his rucksack over his shoulder and followed Moody to the ridge of the hillock and down the other side.

Keeping close watch on the time of the next scheduled Portkey, they trudged in companionable silence along a small ridge. Below was a bowl shaped valley which writhed in misty shadows. Despite the width of the ancient path, Remus was apprehensive that he would trip on an errant pebble and stumble to his death. It’s a gentle grassy slope he kept reminding himself as the dementors’ presence made itself known.

“Should I issue a Patronus umbrella as a precaution?” Remus suggested as his stomach pitched once again with a phobia he did not share with his wife.

“No need. Ambrose claims they only feed when they’re bored and unhappy. When they’re breeding, they consider humans to be irrelevant.”

“I’m still not likely to bring a christening gift,” Remus retorted.

“Nor am I,” Moody answered sharply. He thrust the glass of his pocket watch right under Remus’ nose. It was beginning to ice over on the edges.

“Damn it, Alastor!” Remus wailed. In the next instant, his wand burst forth with a silvery giraffe which galloped in a wide arc around them.

Moody’s venerable whale swum in a counter-clockwise direction, but still in a wide oval with them in the middle. Strange behavior for creatures which could never be trained to perform like circus animals. The conclusion was inescapable.

“THEY HAVE US SURROUNDED!” Remus roared with sharply rising panic.

“Overrun their boundaries,” Moody snorted as he fumbled for the next Portkey, schedule be damned.

“Is that good or bad?” Remus inquired more to keep his mind from clouding with fear than anything else.

“Haven’t the foggiest,” Moody shot back. “And I can’t imagine caring one bloody way or the other!”

With his giraffe still skirting the perimeter, it took Remus a phenomenal amount of concentration to summon even a hint of silvery smoke from his wand tip. But he could tell that without his assistance, Moody would never be calm enough to cast the complicated spell that would trip the Portkey early.

“Hang on to me, lad!” Moody urged in desperation. “I’m hardly the expert Dumbledore once was.”

Remus caught Moody’s elbow just in time as a rusted can opener was thrust into his other hand. He barely managed to hang onto his wand as the disorienting pull dragged him by the navel into oblivion.

There was no chance of maintaining any dignity as they tumbled into a heap against a hard concrete wall. Remus could smell the ocean before he gingerly opened his eyes to see the churning expanse that bled into the horizon.

“Take a moment to catch your breath,” Moody suggested as he struggled to right himself. “I’ll let them know we’ve arrived a wee bit ahead of schedule.”

“Is that…?” It was all Remus could manage through his awe.

“Azkaban’s that spec in the distance. Set for maximum magnification, but don’t release the polarization just yet,” Moody instructed as he placed the Auror-class Omnioculars at Remus’ side.

Remus nodded wordlessly.

“Everyone reacts this way,” Moody soothed with a wry chuckle. “The time zone changes play havoc with your sense of reality. Take your time getting acclimated; it will make you feel less disjointed when you join us inside. I’m going to start on the paperwork for the Portkey Office to justify our last minute schedule change.”

As Remus stared at the coiled power of the raging waves before him, he felt a new appreciation for the absolute lunacy that had driven Sirius to attempt an escape from Azkaban in the first place. It was difficult to believe the frothing seas ever calmed themselves, but Sirius had explained the eerie phenomenon which sometimes preceded a dry lightning storm in summer. Even in his cell, he’d overheard the few human guards commenting about how unsettling they found the glassiness of the water coupled with the electricity dancing across the obsidian parapets of the prison towers.

Recounting his escape, Sirius stressed how every curly strand of Snuffles’ fur had stood on end when he’d had set out that night, the few hours of twilight offering only a partial cover against the brutal summer sun. Being part Newfoundland, Snuffles had no fear of the icy water as he paddled relentlessly towards the faint ribbon of land on the horizon. The inhuman power of the storm had broken over him long before he reached the shoreline, sweeping his bobbing black form parallel to the coastline as the tide conspired to continually push him away from land. It had been pure luck that the fishing trawler had happened alongside and hauled him up in its mighty netting or he would surely have drowned. With the unerring sense of a dog bred to rescue, he’d slowly found his way to British shores, then Surrey, then Hogwarts.

Of course, Remus had not realized then how much longer a journey it had been. Sirius’ canine memories were not intentionally vague; but it was clear that, even as a man, he’d never pinpointed Azkaban’s location on a map.

Moody’s suspicious mind had shared a much more startling conclusion with Remus on that long night following the debacle atop the Astronomy Tower. Remus had still been reeling over Dumbledore’s murder at the hands of one of their own, but Moody had insisted on redirecting his analytical powers. If he had ever doubted Moody’s acumen before, he didn’t now, Remus concluded astride that stark escarpment. Sirius had been allowed to escape. His convenient rescue by rustic fishermen, his intrepid return smuggled in various containers aboard tramp steamers, every random leg of his flight could so easily have been aided by anonymous hands. Death Eaters who were intent on loosing Sirius among the Hogwarts students to neatly rid themselves of the troublesome presence of one Harry Potter. Death Eaters who’d been convinced by Sirius’ apparent betrayal of Harry’s parents that they were all on the same side.

But those dark conspirators had not taken Peter Pettigrew’s master plan into consideration. Why would they? Pettigrew was dead “ or so everyone thought “ and dead men do not hatch conspiracies. Nor was Peter an accomplished virtuoso to circumvent death itself like a select circle of Death Eaters knew their Dark Lord had attempted to do.

The more he thought about it, the more Remus concluded that Pettigrew’s plans had been effectively derailed by Sirius’ arrival at Hogwarts in full fugitive mode. Recalling the infamous newspaper photo that had put everything in motion, the squirming rat in Ron’s hands was doing its best to avoid being recognized. How long would Peter have remained in disguise as Ron’s pet with unprecedented access to the Gryffindor Tower dormitory? Had his goal been to infiltrate the hallowed halls of Hogwarts much more effectively than Snape and thus catapult to favor with Voldemort? Or were his stealthy stratagems those of an assassin waiting for the proper moment to claim his victim?

They’d never know. Pettigrew’s final tirade had dished out all manner of childish slights as he made a last ditch effort to recruit Remus. A single-mindedly demented effort in the face of his own doom. But fanatics never saw it that way, of that Remus was certain; their certitude was a balm as much as an antidote to common sense.

Feeling a rough hand upon his shoulder, Remus turned to gaze into Moody’s grizzled features. “You were right, Alastor. All of it. Sirius couldn’t have escaped unaided. Not and made it to shore, let alone Britain. And your analysis of Pettigrew’s puerile plotting allowed for his stunted intellect much more effectively than I ever could -- even though I once considered him a close friend.”

“An outsider’s view is often less clouded,” Moody remarked philosophically. “But it’s time you joined us inside. Even your werewolf stamina is no match for the elements here. Besides, the tea you were longing for hours ago has finally been laid out.”







He was caught up in a tornado of cascading copper the minute he stepped into the bunker.

“Remus! I’m so glad you’re safe. Mad-Eye was telling us about the close call with the dementors! Do I need to locate some chocolate for the two of you?” Ginny’s brown eyes came into focus as he pulled back from her effusive hug.

“No need. You know how he likes to spin out a good yarn,” Remus replied as his innate modesty rose to the surface. “Always has to be the center of attention, especially when there’s fresh faces involved.” He searched behind Ginny, but other than Percy helping himself to a lavish buffet, the room was empty.

“I’m dying for you to meet Eunice,” Ginny breathed. “But Moody insisted on going over some last minute security issues and followed her into the sound booth.”

Remus released the pent-up breath he’d been unconsciously holding. So Alastor hadn’t spoken out of turn about the dementor installation. All matters consigned to the Department of Mysteries had a tendency to come with a secrecy tag attached “ or at least a need-to-know warning.

“I didn’t know you were part of the team, Percy.”

“Wasn’t originally,” Percy mumbled through a mouthful of crumbs. “But the Minister had a last minute schedule reshuffle and sent me as a stand in.”

“That’s why we’ve been treated like royalty,” Ginny quipped as she poured some tea from a gleaming Russian samovar. “They were prepared to let out all the stops for the Minister himself and they couldn’t very well just scale everything back when they saw it was only the Chief of Protocol.”

“I’m sure Harry was relieved that Ginny travelled with family,” Remus commented as he bypassed the scones in favor of more exotic offerings. Dainty salmon canapés with tiny caviar would do quite nicely, Remus decided, as would smoked mussels and tomato aspic. Ginny handed him a delicate porcelain tumbler of fragrant tea into which she stirred a ripe cherry for sweetening in the imperial fashion.

“I see you’ve had time to learn the local customs,” he noted as he felt the warmth begin to ease the knots from his limbs. He’d not realized how tired he was. Who knew what time it really was, anyway?

“Don’t let them talk you into any of the local potato vodka,” Percy warned as he drew up a chair. “It’s great if you want to sleep during these white nights, but otherwise…” Ginny mimed an exaggerated swoon as Percy pulled a face. “You have no room to talk, sis. I saw you stumble into your room as well.”

“Nice accommodations?” Remus asked politely as he savored a tiny potato no larger than his thumb stuffed with dill cream and blood red caviar pearls. “Judging by the local delicacies…”

“First rate,” Ginny confirmed. “Eunice and I were all set to share but when the Minister didn’t show, Percy inherited his lavish suite so I took one of those rooms instead.”

“A temporary residence of true tsarist dimensions “ large enough for the entire Weasley clan,” Percy expounded. “You know how much extra space is always allotted to the Minister’s entourage.”

“Are you referring to that extra bedchamber that’s designated for the man’s ego?” Moody supplied as he ushered a woman about Tonks’ age before him.

“That was just for Minister Fudge,” Percy joked, pleased when Eunice broke into laugher.

Before Ginny had completed the introductions, Eunice was offering her hand to Remus. “I’ve been so looking forward to meeting you, Professor. I didn’t quite know what to expect when Ginny said she’d secured a subject matter expert.” Remus couldn’t help noting the pleasing Welsh lilt to her words that was not a part of her on air persona.

“You were expecting someone from the Ministry?” Remus smiled into her deep azure eyes.

As Eunice shook her head slightly, her raven locks stirred Remus’ memory.

“You must forgive me for staring, but surely I would have remembered if you’d been among my students,” he tendered.

“Missed your fabled Dark Arts class by two years,” Eunice volunteered. “Although Ginny told me about your winning ways with a boggart.”

“Am I never to live that incident down?” Remus commented with just a hint of embarrassment.

“Not as long as Professor Snape is still on faculty,” Eunice returned with a sharp laugh. “I’m certain you remember my cousin, though. Leah Llewellyn.”

“How could I not? She was one of the Gryffindor Prefects. I was so disappointed she didn’t return for her final year.”

“What can I say? My uncle got posted with a fledgling branch in Ontario and Leah couldn’t resist the adventure.”

“So she finished her schooling at the Winnipeg Academy?” Remus inquired as was expected of him.

“She did, but it wasn’t the same. I think she really missed Hogwarts; but if she’d stayed behind, she would have missed her mum and dad.”

“Glad to hear her French lessons were put to good use then. I never got the feeling her heart was truly committed to my new curriculum.”

“She’d kill me if she knew I was telling you this,” Eunice whispered, “but I think she only signed up for French because she so loved your Transfiguration lessons. Not that it’s intended as a criticism of your teaching skills, mind you.”

“No slight taken. But as long as we’re sharing confidences, I was all set to recommend Leah as Head Girl “ even though it might have proven an uphill battle. Teachers aren’t really supposed to reveal those sorts of things; but it’s all hypothetical now, anyway.”

“She’d be thrilled to know. But why don’t you think the other teachers would have supported her?”

Remus smiled into the dregs of his teacup and wondered just how much he should reveal. Students were often so different at school than at home. He settled for, “Leah was a force to be reckoned with.”

“Such admirable diplomacy, Professor. My guess would be that the faculty was afraid Leah would mount a bloodless coup and be running the entire place by Yuletide.”

Remus threw back his head and laughed heartily. “The worst part is, I think she would have taken me and a number of other teachers with her! Please be sure to give her my regards “ and you could remind her that teachers aren’t adverse to receiving owls from former students.”

Seeing that Remus was deep in conversation with Eunice, Moody joined Percy near the rosewater and clove cookies.

In a low rumble, Moody confided, “I coulda told you that ole Rufus Scrimgeour wasn’t going to show. Anything dealing with Azkaban, he delegates. Can’t stomach dementors.”

Percy gulped noticeably as he remembered how the ghastly creatures could be seen floating among the barren trees in the Forbidden Forest. To this day, he still felt his time as Head Boy had been overshadowed by their presence. With as much nonchalance as he could muster, he issued aloud, “Who does? Not even Hagrid, I venture. But the dementors have been relocated; you said so yourself.”

“Aye, but to Rufus they’re still part of the fundamental aversion he feels for this place. You see, he had a close call once. Back when he was still part of the rank and file who escorted Sirius Black to his plush accommodations. Another Auror stepped in when he couldn’t get his Patronus to materialize quickly enough. With a few extra seconds to spare, Scrimgeour was able to summon his twin piranhas to nip at the dementor’s retreating tail.”

In an awed whisper, Ginny shouldered her way into the conversation. “The Minister has a double Patronus?”

With a scowl that made his magical eye wobble, Moody acknowledged, “Aye. It’s rumored to be a portent of great things.”

“Something tells me you think otherwise,” Percy interjected with a mischievous glint reminiscent of Fred and George.

“A man who needs two guardians is just that much more of a coward in my book,” Moody scoffed. “But the Minister’s an all right bloke in other ways. Due to his paranoia, he argued vehemently against sending dementors to Hogwarts when he headed the Auror Department; claimed a thousand encounters with a deranged murderer like Black would be preferable. A student had a better chance to outrun or outsmart a human attacker. He and Umbridge had a shouting match right in front of Fudge’s office; it was really quite entertaining.”
Twenty-Five: The Devil's Coattails by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.





Twenty-Five
The Devil’s Coattails




The sharp echo of hobnail boots interrupted their carefree banter as the adjoining door swung open to reveal the anxious features of a swarthy, dark-haired man. The insignia of a monolith astride a waterfall identified him as an Azkaban guard.

“Just receive message from King-man,” he announced in a heavy accent. “Very glad others arrive early. He return on hour to exchange post vith…” He looked around the room uncertainly until he caught sight of Moody. “…von vith swirling eye, da?”

Unperturbed, Moody offered a dry chortle as he introduced himself, “Mad-Eye Moody, Auror extraordinaire. Very pleased to meet you, too, Anton.”

Anton broke into a shining, white smile at the exaggerated motions from Moody’s magical eye. “Da, indeed,” he laughed. “Mother name you vell!”

“Who’s the King-man?” Remus inquired lowly.

Percy waved off his apprehension. “Kingsley Shacklebolt. Anton just has trouble with longer names, so he turned it into something easier to pronounce.”

Merlin be praised! Remus issued a silent sigh of relief. For a split-second he feared he’d been dropped into the middle of a third-rate spy thriller. Aloud, he offered, “Forgive my confusion, but what time is it exactly?”

“Almost three-quarter past,” Anton replied instantly.

“And the hour would be?” Remus inquired.

With a quick look around the room, the guard issued under his breath, “Local time is just shy of the fourth hour.”

“Tea time,” Moody asserted as he bit into some gooseberry blintzes.

“A.M. or P.M.?” Remus insisted. Then at Anton’s confused expression, he clarified, “Is it afternoon or nearing daybreak?”

“Daybreak would be my guess,” Percy supplied nonchalantly. “But in case you haven’t noticed, it’s perpetual afternoon outside.”

Remus felt intense weariness engulf him as he lowered his body slowly into the nearest chair. He’d been awake for nearly twenty-four hours!

“Why’d you do that, Percy?” Ginny moaned as she tried to massage the tension from Remus’ shoulders. “Most of us had the good sense to keep our watches set on Greenwich Mean Time. It’s approaching six P.M. in London. We’re set to broadcast at half-eight.”

“Here, have some of the sparkling lemonade,” Eunice urged as she pressed a tall glass into Remus’ hand. “It’s just tart enough to energize.”

Remus complied willingly as the cool liquid washed the last of the dust from his throat. He hadn’t realized traveling by Portkey was such thirsty work. He was just about to sample the spiced herring Moody had been raving over when Kingsley arrived.

“Fit for a true king,” he laughed merrily in wry acknowledgement of his new nickname. “Try not to finish it all while I give Alastor some last minute instructions.”

“So afraid our illustrious guest will stage a prison break under the awed eyes of junior staff?” Moody scoffed as he followed Kingsley up the concrete stairs leading to the first story.

“Truthfully, it’s that barracuda agent that has my hackles…” Kingsley’s resonant voice faded as he climbed beyond the first landing.

“I suppose that means we should get started on our final instructions,” Ginny proclaimed. With a last sweeping glance at the food offerings, she added, “Anything you want me to put aside for you, Eunice? You barely managed to nibble a corner of that scone.”

Eunice shrugged apologetically. “Never can eat before a broadcast,” she volunteered mostly for Remus’ benefit. “Afterwards, I want to devour everything in sight, mostly out of sheer relief.”

Remus flashed a sympathetic smile. “Butterflies.”

“With bayonets,” Eunice tittered as she got to her feet. “Some of those little meat dumplings with dill would be ideal, Ginny.”

“Right. Piroshki, I believe they’re called. I’ll put some under a preservative spell for both of us. What about the accompanying soup?”

So that’s what was in that smoking silver cauldron near the end, Remus considered. Not one of Xeno’s mind-numbing libations after all.

“No thanks,” Eunice replied. “I’m not much for borscht. Alastor was telling me earlier that it’s one of those foods that tastes just like it sounds.”

“Truth in packaging,” Ginny supplied with a grin. “Mum never had much luck selling it as beet soup, either.”

Kingsley met them before the door marked: Embarkation Room. “Careful not to dislodge any of the instruments placed around the perimeter. This was the only spot where we could get the transmission to work properly. Something about the magical bandwidths and the square of the global latitude…”

“It’s the square-root of the latitude,” Eunice corrected with a sly smirk. “But I don’t know what it means, either. Just repeating what I’ve heard at least a million times.”

But Remus had stopped listening in the face of the awesome spectacle before him. Just beyond the window the ebony towers of Azkaban beckoned, not more than a stone’s throw from the mainland.

“It acts like a giant magnifying glass,” Percy volunteered. “The window pane is actually ten inches thick in places to mute the glare from the sun as well.”

True enough, the indefatigable sun hung like a ripe apple in the distance as twinkling breakers caressed the base of the immutable fortress.

Kingsley laid a hand on Remus’ arm. “It’s meant to soothe those friends and family members who come to see the prisoners off,” he explained reverently.

“It’s breathtakingly beautiful, isn’t it?” Eunice echoed.

It’s breathtakingly cruel and unforgiving, Remus intoned inwardly even as he reminded himself that dementors no longer haunted the damned. Barely managing to tear his eyes away, he joined Eunice and Ginny at the table that had been set up for the pre-mission briefing.

“I don’t know how much Ginny has told you…” Remus began as an unexpected tendril of stage fright locked its hoary nails into his spine. Hell, she’d told him next to nothing. Just a tantalizing whisper of, “Eunice already knows you’re a werewolf; whatever else you choose to tell her is up to you.” As journalists, Remus knew they would never reveal their source, never betray his involvement to a world that was likely to think he colluded with that chained monster than sought to unmask him.

“Nothing really,” Eunice admitted.

“Kingsley outlined that this was a cooperative effort with the Auror Department,” Ginny provided.

“It was one of the conditions for this interview to proceed,” Remus confirmed. “Since any broadcast from Azkaban must be approved by the Minister himself “ and only at the recommendation of the Head Auror… Well, you see why Kingsley felt he had the upper hand.”

“What exactly are you hoping to achieve?” Eunice prompted. “Other than literary enlightenment, that is?”

Feeling his anxiety ease at her wry humor, Remus continued, “We have reason to believe he holds the key to others who have gone unpunished. Dark collaborators from the past war.”

“Hence the Auror presence,” Ginny supplied.

But Eunice startled him with her next question. “What makes you so certain it’s a man?”

With practiced aplomb, Remus returned evenly, “Consider it a generic term. I don’t want to risk a sexism lecture from my wife, thank you very much.”

Eunice laughed easily. “I think Leah follows in her footsteps.”

“Make no mistake about it, this won’t be like interviewing a celebrity, political or otherwise. Think of this as a battle of wits “ and I assure you, this opponent has a multitude of weapons at his disposal.”

“You want me to interrogate him then.”

“Not in so many words. Extract the information in more subtle ways.” In response to her uncertain expression, he soothed, “He himself is not at risk of incurring any harsher sentence.” Tactfully, he omitted that it had been another condition in the agreement written up by that mongoose of an agent.

“What makes you so certain he’s harboring secrets? Didn’t the Aurors question him before they locked him up?”

Remus supplied only that which had been reported in the Daily Prophet. “To some degree. Unfortunately, someone who voluntarily confesses is often taken at face value.”

“He just handed himself over to you?” Eunice was incredulous. “Why?”

“That’s the crux of the issue. Life’s not a sports arena; if you back the wrong side, you pick yourself up and get on with your life. No one’s keeping score.”

“You think he’s protecting someone,” Eunice surmised with a hint of triumph. “Who?”

“That’s what we’re here to find out,” Ginny interjected.

“But don’t expect him to come right out and say. Don’t overplay your hand by thinking he’s that stupid. A few clues is the most we can reasonably expect.”

“But how will I know?” Eunice protested.

“That’s why I’m here,” Remus reassured her. “While Ginny feeds you the questions, I will supply you with the proper tone. You must convince him that you’re in his thrall even as he tries to shock you.”

“Am I supposed to feign shock?” Eunice proposed.

“Too contrived,” Remus asserted. “Just hang on his every word; his ego will do the rest. I will help you to stay one step ahead of him. Think of this as the ultimate fan interview. You are a fan, aren’t you? He’s guaranteed to ask you that.”

“I’ve poured over every word,” Eunice improvised with just a hint of breathless anticipation.

Remus leaned back in his chair and appraised her with narrowed eyes. “I think you’ll do just fine. Just don’t tell me what you’re visualizing right this moment.”

The spell broken, Eunice laughed. “You want me to draw him out the way you did me,” she summarized handily.

“Only don’t let him see it,” Remus emphasized. “The last thing we need is for him to see you as his enemy. We can’t afford any reper --”

A sharp knock at the door stopped him in mid-stream. From the hallway, Kingsley beckoned, “If I might have a word, Remus.”

Excusing himself in short order, Remus joined the other man in the short corridor.

“Moody’s report,” Kingsley whispered as a quick wand movement coaxed the fading whale Patronus.

“Blimey, but it’s freezing in this vertical dungeon!” came Moody’s familiar growl. “Feels like that winter I spent in the maritime provinces. We’ve triple-checked everything four or five times. Nothing short of a massive jinx will derail the sound system. No last minute adjustments to allow our featured guest’s true voice to leak out. Mr. Mortimer has his wand handy just in case; he’s right here to make sure that no one opens the cell door, either. See, I told him just as you requested…” With a swish of its tail, the whale gave them a long-suffering look before fading into the featureless concrete.

“How can he exert such control over a Patronus?” Kingsley considered for the umpteenth time.

“It’s not just a Patronus,” Remus quipped. “Alastor was the whale in a previous life.” In a more serious tone, he added, “I didn’t realize he’d ever been sent on a mission to Canada.”

“He wasn’t. Lucky bastard always had undercover assignments in Spain or Italy. Someplace where the weather was always preferable to London.”

“So those were the code words.” Remus acknowledged that not even Mortimer would suspect Moody’s magical eye. “Care to translate?”

“It’s him.”

Remus didn’t need to hear anything else. With a grim set to his lips, he turned on his heel to rejoin the others, secure in the knowledge that he would be facing his own tormentor within the next few hours. Fenrir Greyback, the very beast who had consigned him to Purgatory at such a young age.

“You know who it is,” Eunice exclaimed almost immediately.

There was no use denying it. “Yes.”

“Don’t ask,” Ginny cautioned.

Trying a different tack, Eunice observed, “If we accept that you can’t tell us, at least tell us why you’re entitled to the information?”

“It helps me to plan our strategy.”

“But it won’t help us?” Eunice persisted.

“Kingsley’s doing his best to respect anonymity.” Cutting off any further protests, Remus amended, “Certain allowances have been made in the name of justice. It’s not cheating, not as you see it.”

It was Eunice’s turn to survey Remus sharply. “You truly are the real thing.”

“I’m not sure what you mean,” he admitted candidly.

“An undercover operative. When Percy assured me that you were an expert in all manner of questioning, I wasn’t sure what to expect,” confessed Eunice.

“Unfortunately, I’ve had cause to be on both sides of that scenario.” The solemn tone of Remus’ voice was tempered by the playful sparkle in his eyes.

“Perhaps you should share with her the reaction Kingsley got from Mr. Mortimer,” Ginny suggested. “I only heard about it second-hand “ and that was mainly from Tonks’ defamatory comments.”

“My wife takes a very dim view of those who patronize women in the workplace,” Remus provided by way of explanation. “She dealt with enough of that when she worked as an Auror herself. Mortimer showed himself to be rather narrow-minded in his views about radio personalities.”

“He wasn’t too keen on having his client interviewed by a woman, I take it.”

“Kingsley was able to convince him that it was to his advantage to have you in particular, though. Claimed you had already shown yourself to be a hard-hitting advocate of the truth. In other words, your very presence would lend legitimacy to his client.”

“Why do I dread where this is going?” Eunice groaned.

“I intend to use his prejudices against him, Eunice. Let him think you’re a push-over; it will make his client over-confident. But you see why it’s so important to give him what he expects on the surface? He can never see your true motives.”

Eunice nodded with a determined set to her jaw. “I only win if I can make him think he’s won.”

“Exactly! Couldn’t have phrased it more perfectly myself.” Doublethink, Remus added inwardly as he recalled his earlier discussion about Hermione’s undergraduate thesis.






As the broadcast hour drew nigh, Eunice reviewed the short list of reminders before her. Concessions that had been hammered out through a series of serpentine negotiations between Mr. Mortimer on behalf of his client, the Auror Department, and lastly the directors at the WWN.


• Avoid questions that are too personal.
• No direct quotes from his book.
• Make no mention of Azkaban unless he introduces the subject; after that, it’s fair game.
• No questions about past crimes unless he brings them up.
• Refer to him as Mr. W at all times, even if a better epithet comes to mind.
• If sound link is severed, techs will not be allowed into his cell to re-establish. End the broadcast as graciously as possible.


In Remus’ neat hand, he had added the last admonition in red: Don’t forget that this person is DANGEROUS!

Through the shimmering curtain of magic, Eunice could see Remus and Ginny conversing shoulder-to-shoulder at the next table but she could no longer hear them. Although her words would be carried to them, no sound from the other side would penetrate into her space to become an inadvertent backdrop to the broadcast.

As the last sixty seconds ticked down, she imagined herself among the adoring fans at a Weird Sisters concert. The charismatic piper singled her out of the crowd and issued her a back-stage pass. She allowed the ardent expression in her eyes to add just a note of awed reverence to her voice as she began, “Witches and wizards, Eunice Sharpe here. Tonight we are lucky enough to have with us a man who needs no introduction, a man of mystery who had suffused our imaginations since his explosive words hit the shelves nearly six months ago. Finally agreeing to break his silence, we have the enigmatic author of the untitled book that everyone’s been reading. For lack of a better name, we have agreed to call him ‘Mr. W.’ Can you hear me, Mr. W.?”

“Yes. Loud and clear, Eunice,” came the magically altered voice.

“Please tell our listeners how tonight’s broadcast has been facilitated.”

“Of course. I cannot see you, just as you cannot see me. Our interactions are no more than what can be discerned over the airwaves.”

“I admit that all this secrecy makes me wonder about what I cannot see. Tell me, Mr. W., are you the real thing? Or did you simply interview werewolves in preparation for your tale as some have suggested?”

The sound of a throat clearing was followed by, “Yes, I'm a werewolf.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, how long ago were you bitten?”

“Long enough that I cannot remember my life being otherwise. You could say that I have accepted my circumstances while others still fight them.”

Something in the disembodied voice warned Eunice not to press further. Instead, she posed, “Then why the elaborate set-up, sir?”

A sharp laugh akin to startled static burst forth. “Isn’t it obvious? I wish to remain anonymous.”

“Yet you pen your most private dreams for the world to see,” Eunice countered with a note of wonder.

“A man who retires from private life and wishes to write his memoirs is nothing new. I just don’t want fame clawing at my shirt every time I make a trip to the corner market. It wouldn’t do to have my voice recognized, either.”

“There’s no doubt that your legion of fans are listening in tonight.”

“Tell me, Eunice,” the voice purred. “Are you a fan? Or did you just read my book in preparation for your assignment?”

“You drew me in just like the rest, Mr. W. I couldn’t close the cover until I’d read every last word.” All true, Eunice defended internally; only the slightly breathless ardor was assumed.

“Then you are in the enviable position of choosing which of my fans’ questions will be addressed. I understand my agent forwarded a number of them to you.”

“Firstly, your fans wish to know if they can continue to send letters in care of your publisher?”

“Absolutely. I read every word, even though I am not always able to owl a response.”






Only the softest intake of breath gave away the presence of the resident spook at Tonks’ elbow.

She conveyed an entire sentence with the reproachful look she trained on her errant son. “Teddy….”

With a tiny gulp, Teddy plowed forth fearlessly, “I thought I heard voices. A man…”

“And you thought it might be your father.”

Teddy nodded emphatically.

From the doorway, Dobby wrung his hands. “So sorry, Mistress,” he offered with downcast eyes. “He slithered past like an oiled veela.”

Without taking her eyes from her son, Tonks replied, “It’s all right, Dobby. Teddy’s just feeling…out of sorts. Aren’t you?”

“When will Dad return?”

“Now, Teddy, we already went over this in detail.” With an indulgent sigh, she capitulated, “Will it help if I retell it as a sort of bedtime story?”

Teddy broke out in a wide grin as he urged, “Please.”

“It’s just like when your dad leaves us alone for a few days over the summer. He doesn’t want us to disturb our holiday.”

“Because Harry’s all alone back here,” Teddy amended knowingly.

Tonks smiled warmly in response even as she worried how much longer before her observant son questioned why the wine cellar under the back stairs was totally devoid of bottles. At least the harshness of the truth would be mollified by Harry’s presence during those full-moon excursions.

“Your father’s gone to help Ginny with a special broadcast. She needed his expert knowledge,” Harry supplied as he joined them. “She’s officially part of our family, too.”

Teddy bobbed his head in agreement before focusing with woeful eyes. “But he didn’t say good-bye…”

“He did, Spook. You were just asleep,” Harry affirmed. “We all were.”

“I’m sure Dobby can bear witness,” Tonks suggested. “Did you think to ask him?”

“Not yet,” Teddy admitted in a small voice. He looked into the next room where Ron and Hermione sat with eyes trained on the wireless. A slight shimmer around the doorway attested to the Muffliato charm that had been invoked from inside the study moments before. At Hermione’s shoulder, a bright peacock feather took copious notes on a floating pad. “What’s she doing?”

Tonks swallowed the urge to grimace in frustration. After all, she could review the transcript later. “Hermione’s taking notes for an assignment. That way she doesn’t have to rely on her memory alone. Like you’ve seen the students doing at Hogwarts.”

Teddy’s eyes lit up. “Will I be allowed to use a magical quill as well? Wicked!”

“No, Spook,” Harry admonished gently. “Magic quills of all sorts are banned at school. How could the teachers tell which ones were spelled with the answers?”

Teddy’s face fell.

“But Hermione isn’t taking the same type of notes, you see,” Tonks slipped in. “Her Quick Quotes Quill is making a transcript “ an exact record of all that is being said. It’s something she’ll use in her job.”

Teddy allowed his mother to guide him by the hand towards his bedroom. With one last glance over his shoulder, he posed, “Why was that man angry?”

Tonks considered replying that he just had one of those voices, like Mad-Eye, but concluded that Teddy would never accept such a brush-off. Even though she knew it would set off a whole new string of questions, she gave a more honest answer, “His voice is disguised so people won’t recognize him.”

Teddy stopped dead in his tracks. “Why?”

“Because he doesn’t want others to know that he’s in prison.”

“But Dad always says you should own up to your mistakes,” Teddy protested.

“That’s true, sweetheart. But this man is ashamed of his past and doesn’t want people to know.”

“Oh.”

“That’s why he’s been sentenced to prison instead of just having to sit in the corner or scrub bedpans like Madam Pomfrey has students do.”

“Will we hear Ginny’s voice later?”

“No, dear. Ginny works behind the scenes. Helps prepare the questions that will be asked; that’s a much more difficult task than just reading the parchment before you.”

“But they’ll announce her name at the end?”

“Yes, she’s likely to get credit as the producer.”

“What about Dad? He’s helping her right now, isn’t he?”

Tonks drew Teddy into her lap as she sat on the cushioned lid of his toy chest. “Journalists like Ginny often consult with others; that’s how they’re sure to get the right information for their stories. They’re not allowed to make up the facts to suit them, you know.” She waited for Teddy to nod that he understood before adding, “It’s part of their rules, their ethics, that they protect the identify of their sources of information.”

Teddy’s eyes were wide with apprehension as he pondered, “But Dad hasn’t done anything wrong, has he?”

Catching her son in a tight hug, Tonks soothed, “Of course not. But sometimes people don’t want their privacy stripped away, either. You do know what privacy is?”

Teddy conceded, “Like when I shut the door to my room. Or to the loo,” he added with a mischievous giggle.

“Or when people make a donation to a good cause and wish to remain anonymous,” Tonks added with sudden inspiration.

“When will Dad be back?” Phoebe’s tiny voice rang out as she slipped into her brother’s room.

“Tomorrow, I think. He’s so far away that we can’t really communicate.”

“Not Floo?” Phoebe posed as she climbed up on Tonks’ other side.

“It’s too far, sweetheart. Just to get there, Ginny had to take a whole series of Floos.”

“How many?” Teddy wondered.

“Ask her when she gets back,” Tonks suggested.

“Dad?” Phoebe’s curiosity sparked.

“To save time, your father traveled by Portkey with Uncle Mad-Eye. I’m sure he’ll tell you all about his adventures when he returns. But right now, the both of you need to go back to sleep.”

“Will Dad be here when we wake up?” Teddy asked as he slowly climbed under the covers.

“He has to sleep, too, Teddy. He’ll be back late tomorrow.”

“Before bed?” Phoebe demanded.

“I’m not sure,” Tonks allowed. “But Dobby is planning a special breakfast on Monday morning for the three of you, remember? I have to go in at the regular time, but the Headmistress told Dad he could use his planning period for a mini-reunion of sorts.”

“Full English,” Dobby assured them from the doorway.

“Mushrooms?” Phoebe asked with mounting joy.

“And anything else you come up with tomorrow,” Tonks guaranteed. “Just let Dobby know.”

“Why don’t you allow me take it from here, Mistress?” the elf beseeched with a knowing nod towards the main part of the house. “If they promise to go to sleep afterwards, I’ll even give them some more cocoa.”

“That sounds like a capital idea,” Tonks breathed as she deposited Phoebe next to Teddy.

As Tonks made her way down the short hallway, Teddy’s voice rang out, “Can you tell us a bedtime story, Dobby?”

“Fairies and such,” Phoebe added breathlessly.

“Elves aren’t much for fairy stories,” Dobby succumbed graciously. “But did I tell you about the time Fang got too close to the baby hippogriff? Dobby heard firsthand from Hagrid last week.”

Tonks could just imagine the rapt faces of her children as they greedily sipped their cocoa.

“Well,” the elf’s melodious voice began, “Fang was chasing a squirrel “ not one of those flying ones that just laugh at him, mind you “ but a genuine Muggle squirrel that has to live by its wits alone. The mother hippogriff was not perturbed when the squirrel ran along the top of the pen, but when this slavering beast came in close pursuit that was a different matter.”

“Fang wouldn’t hurt the baby,” Teddy maintained.

“No, but dogs can be rather single-minded when in the throes of a mighty chase,” Dobby persisted. “And she didn’t want her baby trampled or disturbed in any manner.”

“What did she do?” came Phoebe’s excited squeak.

“She reared up to her full height, wings spread wide, and charged that fence. Made Fang stop dead in his tracks.”

“He would’ve run backwards if he could,” Teddy supplied his own take.

“All the while, Hagrid could see that the mother hippogriff was appraising bony, ole Fang with her beady eye. Imagining that she’s roasting him on a spit with the sauce dripping from the tips of his toes.”

“What kind of sauce?” Teddy wanted to know.

After a second’s hesitation, Dobby provided, “Why spicy Worcestershire, of course! You’d need something to tenderize…”

Tonks set an Imperturbable Charm at the end of the hallway, secure that Dobby would not be impeded but the silence would make it easier for her children to stay in bed once and for all.

Returning to the study, she found Harry, Ron and Hermione clustered around the wireless, their faces slack as they concentrated on the broadcast.

“You didn’t miss much,” Harry assured her as he made room on the sofa. “Just the obligatory questions from fans.”

“I’ll review the notes later,” Tonks replied. “Suspects are most likely to give things away when they feel unthreatened.”

“Were you able to coax them back to sleep?” Hermione whispered as she laid a gentle hand on Eleanor’s back and continued to rock her slightly.

“Dobby took over with a bedtime story,” Tonks chuckled. “Adapted from a recipe, no less!”

“Teddy didn’t happen to overhear the part where the man admitted he was a werewolf, did he?” Ron posed with concern.

“I don’t think so,” Tonks answered. “His questions would have dragged on much longer if he had.”

As the others smiled reassuringly, Tonks had to wonder exactly what Teddy had heard. Perhaps she should ready herself for another type of interrogation over breakfast the next morning. After all, Teddy often let ideas simmer in the back of his mind before presenting his hypotheses; he was so much like Remus in that respect.







“How many personal assistants do you employ?” Eunice inquired.

“None,” was the gravelly reply. “My literary agent serves as my liaison with the outside world. Consequently, there’s no one to reply to fan mail.”

“Why cut yourself off from the outside world?”

“I assure you the outside world rejected me long before I turned my back on it. Just ask any other werewolf!”

“But your words are so eloquent. You speak as if you’ve spent years considering your place in the greater scheme of things.”

A derisive laugh warbled through the air. “Enforced solitude, I assure you. But make no mistake, a werewolf has no place. Wizards can tolerate other beings who see themselves as subservient -- such as house elves. Even goblins, who only pretend to be subservient, are tolerated. But a being who demands to be treated as an intellectual equal can only be a poseur.”

“A philosopher to point out the ills of society,” Eunice posed in the guise of an acolyte. “You must expect the world has the potential to improve; otherwise, why point out the errors in our thinking?”

“I have long since learned to distrust those who pretend to offer friendship; most are seeking only to advance their own aims.”

“What about other werewolves? Are they so duplicitous?”

“Not so much. But many lack the courage of their convictions. They still insist on trying to fit in among others who have labeled them categorically as monsters.”

“Is it your goal to bridge this gap?”

With an eerie, hollow cackle, Mr. W. returned, “How would you suggest I do that? My current circumstances are hardly conducive to presenting my views before the Wizengamot.”

Eunice chafed at the restrictions before her. Here was the moment to ask him why he’d turned himself in, but how? In Remus’ rushed scribble, the wording rose before her. “What makes you think you would be unwelcome within the Ministry itself?”

“They couldn’t wait to clamp me in leg-irons the first time! What makes you think they would allow me to shuffle my way before a legislative assembly?”

“We are taught that everyone is welcome to air their views.”

“We are taught a lot of things in theory. Reality is often quite different.”

“What exactly is your reality, Mr. W.?” Eunice beseeched. “We want to know; we want to understand.”

“The world sees my very existence to be criminal. So I turned myself in for all past infractions, real or imaginary.”

“A political prisoner of sorts,” Eunice pronounced in reaction to Remus’ notation: He sees himself as Gandhi.

“That’s very astute of you, my dear. How could I ever have doubted that you were a fan?”

“So other than protesting the overall treatment of werewolves, why subject yourself to the rigors of incarceration?”

“No need to be so genteel. Azkaban is hardly a training ground for endurance; it's stagnation of the spirit. A crucible where only the indomitable will survive.”

“But you see yourself as a survivor, don’t you?”

“That I’m here to address you attests to that.”

“You seem like a man who has seen the worst the world has to offer. How have you been tested in the past?”

“Every day in the life of a werewolf is a struggle against blatant intolerance. The only surcease is when we succumb to the ministering sway of the moon “ but for that we are condemned most of all. For something that we cannot help, cannot control. A creature cannot help being what it is; such are the laws of Nature. But other men see themselves as arbiters over that which they can’t properly categorize.”

“A lot of the world’s woes are caused by labeling others, there’s no doubt about it. How do you cope with that?”

“The same way in which any other prisoner would -- regardless of whether his chains are real or imaginary. I rail at the injustice; and when my anger is spent, I promise myself that I will not let it wear me down.”

“Do you seek a workable compromise?”

“Not anymore, Eunice. I have been hammered relentlessly by both sides and can only conclude that the climate is not yet right.”

“I think the listeners are anxious to learn how your life was affected by the werewolf relocation camps that only recently came to light.”

“That folly? An overgrown bunch of dog catchers rounding up all the jobless mongrels!”

“Did they come knocking on your door, Mr. W.?” Eunice commiserated.

“They tried, but I was able to prove that I was gainfully employed at time.”

“What sort of work did you do?”

“Whatever needed doing; a werewolf can’t be too picky.”

“And the name of your employer?”

A very long pause. “I’d prefer to leave that to our listeners’ imaginations, Eunice. I don’t want to alienate anyone who might assume I shared by employer’s view of the world.”

“Right,” Eunice allowed in response to Remus’ instructions of: Let him prevaricate all he wants; encourage, don’t contradict. “I’m sure the many who routinely butt heads with their bosses will understand only too well.”

“But to return to your earlier query, if I may. I can hardly say the werewolf camps left me unscathed. Their very presence was an affront to those like me.”

“Were many of your friends and acquaintances directly affected?”

“Without a doubt. It became a pilgrimage of sorts to visit the four camps in turn.”

“You were allowed access then? A recent interview with Dolores Umbridge seemed to indicate that no werewolves had presented themselves voluntarily.”

The man’s mirthless laughter was singularly unsettling. “Certainly not as potential residents. Nor did I offer to escort any of the inmates for a visit to the outside world; that was the exact question that was posed to Ms. Umbridge. You should be careful when wording queries to career politicians; they will wiggle between the cracks so they can give you just as little as possible yet further their own cause the most.”

Eunice chuckled as if sharing a private joke. “Point well taken. You were allowed access as a camp visitor then?”

“Yes. I was welcomed as a conquering hero by those who yearned for news from the outside world “ even if it was second-hand.”

“So the other werewolves saw you as a Messiah of sorts?” she dared according to Ginny’s instructions, ever wary of Remus’ warning to: Tread carefully.

The deep chuckle which reverberated hollowly held the unmistakable hint of triumph. “I can’t possibly know. But the Ministry would have been most displeased if that had been the case.”

“Can you elaborate?”

“Their plan was to round up werewolves so they couldn’t cause any trouble for the rest of society. Yet the concentration camps themselves gave easy access to anyone intent on creating a spontaneous uprising. How utterly ironic!”

Fully aware of Remus’ advice to not corner her subject, Eunice settled on sympathizing instead, “Luckily, no such thing occurred.”

“Only because the camps were disbanded. How long do you truthfully think such disgruntled individuals could be housed together before revolutionary fervor broke out?”

In bold capitals, the warning came through: CHANGE THE SUBJECT! Let his words be a condemnation unto themselves.

“You wrote of being caught in the middle between two opposing sides. I think our listeners would like to know which you chose and why?” She couldn’t help holding her breath as she awaited the response.

With an overly dramatic sigh, the werewolf admitted, “Life is rarely as black and white as we would have it. No simple answers, no simple issues. Even in a war that pits two factions against one another, unwitting allies stand together by sheer virtue of a common enemy.”

Eunice softened her approach. “Is that a gentle way of saying you find the question too intrusive?”

“No, I’m simply setting the background for my response. To this day, I’m not fully certain who stood behind the various opportunities. Each was veiled in so many layers of secrecy that for all I know they could have come from the same bloody person!” His grim cackle was chilling.

“If you’ll forgive the trite platitude: a sightless dragon incinerates by smell.”

“Suppose different emissaries were sent. Even those presented false names.”

“Is that why you didn’t mention any names in your book?”

“Not entirely. As my agent will no doubt regale you, anyone falsely accused could sue for damages. Not just seek redress from me, but also from my publisher. Even if what I told was the unvarnished truth, they could accuse me of besmirching their reputation. If I was able to substantiate my words, without their written release to include them in my book, they could easily be awarded not only a portion of the earnings, but a disproportionate say in anything and everything to do with my literary work. In effect, I would be allowing them to buy into my life.” After a moment’s silence, he abruptly added, “And if that person were no longer living, I could still be pursued by the executors of his or her estate.”

Following her impromptu script, Eunice urged, “So were you able to at least figure out who stood behind the masks?”

“One can always suspect. It’s human nature to put a face to a voice; I venture that our listeners are doing just that as we speak. But it doesn’t mean they’re correct in their assumptions. What was even more curious was that the more I spoke with each of them, the more their offers seemed to be variations on the same theme. Ultimately, I rejected them both.”

“Please tell us more.”

“Too many gauzy layers of deception made me wonder what was behind it all. A person who feels a need to remain in the shadows can hide a knife behind his back that much more readily. I had no desire to sacrifice myself to further their ideals. What do ideals matter when you’re dead?”

“Many heroes throughout history would disagree.”

“They were free to make decisions that impacted their lives just as I am. Have you stopped to think, Eunice, that society’s veneration of martyrs is a worship of death over life?”

“Forgive me, Mr. W., those thoughts are much too deep for me to address spontaneously. But it’s certainly a thought-provoking angle to consider.”

“Give it some thought when you have a quiet moment. Unfortunately my life seems to be made up of an endless string of them at the moment.”

“I can’t help but feel disappointed you can’t tell us more, though. Such tantalizing descriptions of the woman who offered werewolves a new direction… It was a woman, wasn’t it?”

“Yes, but she turned out to be the most hypocritical of all. Tell me this: what would you think of a plan that was presented by someone who secretly found you repellent?”

Unsure what to do with the tables turned, Eunice was only too happy to latch onto the lifeline Remus’ hurried instructions provided. “You spoke of unholy alliances before.”

“Yes, but one always wonders what happens after the common enemy is defeated. How many former allies turn on each other in the wake of a shared victory?”

“History is filled with examples,” she recited on cue.

“I didn’t want werewolves to suffer a similar fate. Our numbers are too small as it is.”

“Do all werewolves think like you?”

“Merlin, no! We’re as fractious and contradictory as any other segment of society. But sometimes, people come together in a common cause. Especially when they can put a face, or a name, to their oppressor.”

“The Werewolf Relocation Project,” Eunice breathed.

“Certainly a prime example. So obvious, in fact, that I came to think werewolves were being manipulated from the start.”

“I’m not certain I follow,” Eunice apologized.

“Consider this: someone wanted the werewolves to be herded together for the very purpose of creating chaos. It would have been inevitable had not disease curtailed their plans.”

“The dark forces that were defeated were fond of creating unrest.”

“A fact known to every schoolchild. But what if that’s just what they wanted us to believe? What if it was just a smoke screen? I don’t have to tell you that no sect has a monopoly on overzealousness. What if instead, the plan was to wait for someone to lead the werewolves in a revolt “ for the sole reason of eradicating our numbers once and for all? Who would fault their government for putting down a cadre of lawless insurgents?”

Let him think he’s shocked you, Remus urged silently. “Are you pointing your finger at the Ministry of Magic?” she gasped.

“Who can say? It’s all smoke and mirrors in the end.”

“How did you recognize your contacts? Did you use code names?”

“Code names, passwords, you name it. But the name that sticks in my mind is the one I overheard one of her associates use when he thought no one else was listening: the Mistress of Pain.”

“Is that a nickname or an epithet?” she shot back as play along rose from the depths of her parchment.

Raucous laughter akin to a demonic crow spewed forth. “A little of both, I suppose. Call it a quasi-affectionate nickname.”

“As in someone who is also a pain in the hindquarters?”

“Your words not mine. She was not renowned for her sense of humor.”

“Do you think she might be listening in tonight?”

Gruff laughter, swallowed quickly. “The entire world is listening in tonight. The WWN would not have gone to the expense of setting up such a double-blind scenario if it didn’t expect meteoric ratings.”

Eunice responded with a conspiratorial whisper of her own, “Stop, you’ll make me lose my professional composure.”

With a throaty chuckle, Mr. W confided, “Should I tell you what a heady feeling it is to know that everyone is hanging on your every word?”

“Some people would feel inordinately flustered or self-conscious. Not you, though.” Another chuckle that she easily imaged accompanied a wide grin full of sharp, feral teeth. “Tell us, what words would you address to the world at large?”

There was a long pause, then Mr. W’s voice assumed a false modesty. “I’m hardly a pioneer. If the world finds my written words to be unsettling, let me suggest that it is because they have never considered the true feelings of those whom they belittle. If my lifestyle seems radical compared to theirs, they should question: what other options I have been given? Everyone who reads my book should take a moment to place himself in my shoes. It is not so much a problem of accepting the harsh reality of our lot in life, but having to deal with the unfair pronouncements of others.” Taking a deep breath, he crooned, “To my brethren who have no choice but to share my lot in life, I urge you to take heart despite the slings and arrows that are flung your way on a daily basis. You are not alone; you are not voiceless. Certainly not powerless. We just need to reach out to one another.”

Eunice allowed a brief pause to underscore the climatic moment. Almost timidly, she proceeded. “One last question from your fan mail, please? What’s your favorite color?”

The airwaves carried a soft rustling as he stopped to think. “I like all colors. Our view of the world would be greatly diminished if there was a sudden gap in the spectrum. Just like people, every shade and nuance makes an important contribution to the whole.”

With an appreciative titter, Eunice elaborated, “A very well-thought out answer, but I don’t think it was intended metaphorically. The writer says she likes to knit.”

Laughter was followed by, “In that case, any color but orange. Orange makes me look like a moldy pumpkin.”

“So I take it you’re not a supporter of the Chudley Cannons?”

“Quidditch has never held much appeal for me, I’m afraid.”

As the clock ticked down, Eunice summarized, “And there you have it, witches, wizards and everything in between. Our heartfelt thanks to the man who’s held our consciousness so vividly since autumn and the new words he’s given us to ponder. This is Eunice Sharpe for the WWN, signing off until next time.”
Twenty-Six: A Crack in the Ice by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty-Six
A Crack in the Ice



Harry stared at the wireless set in the aftermath of the interview with the werewolf. Lost in concentration, he absently imaged penetrating the shell of polished wood to the inner workings full of tall glass ampoules, tiny transistors, and glowing filament wires which danced with the timbre of another’s voice.

Not that a magical wireless set worked according to those same principles, he considered inwardly, recalling a scene from when he’d been barely tall enough to see over the workbench in the basement at Privet Drive. Uncle Vernon had been fiddling with an amateur transmitter he’d painstakingly constructed in his spare time. Mistaking Dudley’s incursion for curiosity, Vernon had patiently explained how the contraption, which resembled a miniature underwater city like the one they’d seen at the cinema, was actually a radio.

“It allows me to communicate with other ‘hams’ throughout the entire European continent,” Vernon had declared proudly. Harry hadn’t understood completely until he decided it must have something to do with his uncle being such a die-hard supporter of the West Ham Rugby League.

Nevertheless, he’d been fascinated with Vernon’s explanation of how invisible sound particles were snatched from the very air by the skyline of tubes and wires and translated into words for all to hear. He would have given anything for a closer look, but it was infinitely safer to keep silent behind his cousin lest he be accused of consuming more than his fair share of oxygen. All too soon, Dudley found an excuse to dart away from his father’s stuffy hobbies and Harry had no choice but to follow in his orbit. Who knew what evil ulterior motive his Uncle Vernon would have attributed to him if he’d shown an interest?

Years later, Arthur Weasley had begged for a similar explanation of Muggle electronics but Molly had forestalled Harry from removing the back panel of the wizarding wireless set to use as a visual aid.

“It wouldn’t do to have the magic escape now, would it?” she’d warned with a gentle smile, no doubt protecting a household item that would have been costly to replace.

The upshot of which was that Harry still had no idea how wizards used the airwaves to communicate. Perhaps one day he’d screw up his courage to ask one of the technicians at Ginny’s workplace for an explanation. If only he could devise how to keep from coming off as a total git in the process.

“What’s got you so entranced, mate?” Ron posed at Harry’s elbow. He mimicked staring wide-eyed into the wireless until he barely caught himself from falling face-first onto the carpet.

Harry joined in the laughter as he rubbed his eyes wearily before readjusting his glasses. “Dunno,” he replied as a fragment of something skittered just out of reach. “Can’t quite put my finger on it.”

“Well, if you ask me,” Hermione suggested, “that was hardly an illuminating interview. I thought Remus had been sent to draft some hard-hitting interrogation questions.”

“He was,” Tonks affirmed. “But Kingsley was adamant that the subject would clam up if he suspected that were the case. He counted on Remus to be suitably subtle.”

“So subtle that he leaves the rest of us in total darkness?” Ron moaned.

“Tonks is right,” Harry emphasized. “We could hardly have expected an interrogation to be carried live on the wireless. That would violate all sorts of regulations.”

“Not to mention that his agent would never have agreed,” Tonks opined.

“So what was the point of this exercise?” Ron demanded.

“Kingsley got the agent to agree to allow a few, pre-approved questions to be interjected into the interview. It was a condition of being allowed to broadcast directly from Greyback’s cell in Azkaban.”

“Tell us, Harry, do you buy into Kingsley’s theory that Greyback took the fall for someone else?” Ron issued from the edge of his seat.

Hermione harrumphed, “We don’t know for sure it is Greyback.”

“Who else would it be?” Tonks interjected. “Even Remus is fairly certain of that; he just can’t prove it.”

“Right. Assuming it’s Greyback….” Hermione conceded.

To the expectant eyes trained upon him, Harry expounded, “Sure Kingsley’s angle makes sense in a general way, but it falls apart when you stop to think: what did Greyback have to gain? He’s not some deranged Hufflepuff like Umbridge “ no offense, Tonks; it’s like Moody says: there’s bound to be one bad apple. If he’s not motivated by some twisted ideal of loyalty, he would have had to be promised some sort of reward.”

“By whom?” Hermione urged.

“That’s the key question,” Harry affirmed. “Voldemort’s dead, the Death Eaters are scattered. Only the Malfoys seemed to have survived with their ruddy fortune intact --”

With quiet fervor, Tonks corrected, “Narcissa lost the most important thing in her life. You may think Lucius a cold, aloof slimebag, but he doted on Draco.”

“I agree, you can pretty much assume Malfoy is still licking his own wounds and will stay out of it,” Ron remarked. “Who does that leave?”

With a dark scowl, Harry volunteered, “Someone who was in power then and is still in power now.”

“That could be just about anyone in the Ministry,” reasoned Hermione. “Surely you’re not suggesting Scrimgeour?”

“See, that’s where that line of reasoning peters out,” Harry explained. “No, I don’t think Scrimgeour was ever a Death Eater; like a true Slytherin, he’s focused on his own personal goals to the exclusion of all else.”

“That’s not the sort of person you could trust,” Ron emphasized.

“I don’t,” Harry agreed. “But that doesn’t mean he’s evil to the core. Nor do I think he’s the sort who could have been manipulated like Fudge.”

With a sage nod, Hermione noted, “You have to admit Fudge’s truculent denial of reality played right into Voldemort’s hands.”

“But I wager he’s regretting it now,” Tonks added.

“Actually, I have my own theory about Greyback.” Harry proclaimed with little fanfare. “He’s out to save his own skin; plain and simple.”

“How would volunteering for Azkaban accomplish that?” Hermione countered.

“Perhaps he’s committed much worse crimes than we’ve discovered,” Tonks responded. “Things where the sentence would be absolute.”

“Like a mandatory death sentence,” Ron supplied.

Harry turned to face his best friend directly. “Wait, didn’t you say that if a werewolf’s bite resulted in the death of another that was grounds for execution right there?”

Instead, it was Hermione who answered, “If he’s found guilty in a court of law. That requires someone brave enough to confront him before the Wizengamot.”

“And the witness is required to identify the werewolf in question, not just his human face,” Tonks amended. ”The procedure involves choosing from a series of photographs taken during a full moon.”

“That’s no different than picking out the perpetrator in a Muggle line-up,” Harry observed.

“Perhaps in theory,” Hermione clarified. “But werewolves can look very similar and they hardly hold still for the camera.”

“Wouldn’t it make sense to Stupefy them first?” Ron suggested.

“Most spells just bounce off a werewolf’s hide,” Hermione affirmed. “That’s how they’ve managed to survive outright persecution all these years.”

“Would it be possible to drug them in some way?” Ron persisted.

“If you can win the argument that it’s humane,” Tonks cautioned. “Bear in mind that it’s necessary to have a selection to choose from so that involves getting innocent werewolves to volunteer.”

“The Ministry’s track record doesn’t exactly foster cooperation from werewolves,” Harry opined. “Let’s not forget that.”

Hermione continued, “All that aside, statistics show that the witness is most likely to remember the attacker’s eyes. So to give him a fair shot, the photo needs to capture a werewolf that has not been sedated in any way.”

“I can’t believe no one came forward to point the finger at Greyback, though,” Ron mused darkly. “He admitted to deliberate acts, not just accidents that occurred while drunk on moonlight.”

Harry weighed in with an opinion of his own. “Perhaps the Ministry didn’t search high and low, either, since they already had him in hand.”

“If you consider that most of his victims were children, you can see how it would be an uphill battle to get any of them to come forward,” Tonks provided. “Parental objection, experts who claim the best thing is to put the attack behind them, et cetera.”

Harry nodded with a grim set to his lips. “Not to mention that a large percentage would have buried the incident so deeply in their subconscious, it would take years to resurface. Remember Neville and the attack on his parents.”

“What about Remus?” Ron insisted. “He could finally have gotten justice after all these years.”

Tonks leveled a steely gaze in return. “And at what cost? Surely you don’t think such explosive proceedings could have been kept out of the press, do you?”

“Don’t forget that the Prophet is hardly known for keeping to the facts,” Harry defended.

“It would just have made it that much harder for him to keep his post at Hogwarts,” Tonks elaborated to the startled looks around her. “Yes, even with Minerva staunchly behind him and an Order of Merlin to his credit.”

“So you think Remus weighed the alternatives and decided that a life sentence in Azkaban was enough to satisfy him?” Hermione postulated. “Despite the monster’s glorified rampages?”

“I’m certain of it,” Tonks testified. “Reality made a stoic out of him at an early age.”

“As for whether it’s Greyback or not, I believe that was the major reason for including Mad-Eye as part of the team,” Harry volunteered.

“What if Mr. Anonymous’ literary agent saw through that and banned Moody at the last minute?” Hermione countered.

Harry confirmed that was highly unlikely, adding what little facts he’d been able to learn, “He spent months pouring over the particulars of Azkaban and the safety features afforded by the magic-repelling doors.”

“Ginny said there were a number of obstacles to setting up a wireless feed from the start,” Ron commented.

“But they managed it in the end,” Hermione noted.

“Yes, just as they discovered that Moody’s eye can only penetrate the metal casing of the magical locks,” Harry supplied. “It’s a very narrow view, to be sure. But by happy coincidence, there’s a small skylight that allows for a bit of natural light. When the metal furniture is returned to his cell after each full moon, our prisoner always situates the small writing table and chair beneath the skylight “ and right in the line of sight.”

Still unconvinced, Ron pondered, “What if he chooses to sit with his back to the door? Did they take that into consideration?”

“No warrior would sit in such a fashion,” Tonks pronounced with certainty. “That’s just begging to be knifed in the back. He will sit facing the door; bank on it.”

“So much preparation and there’s bound to be something that was overlooked.” Hermione fretted.

“Don’t forget the double-guard,” Harry stressed. “Two Aurors present except when one Apparates to the mainland to retrieve his replacement. That’s in addition to the Azkaban guards. Mortimer, the agent, insisted on it and Kingsley found it gave him additional flexibility about who he stationed.”

“You can’t anticipate everything,” Hermione insisted. “That’s what worries me.”

“Assume that the most unpredictable element of all was the interview itself,” Tonks soothed. “That’s why Eunice had both Ginny and Remus at her back, ready to improvise at a moment’s notice.”

“So what was supposed to be so enlightening?” Ron groused. “All they did was let the man do a bit of grandstanding.”

“Seems to me he was toying with us,” Hermione put forth as her eyes quickly reviewed the transcript. “His voice fairly reeked of triumph in places.”

“Right,” Harry latched on to the barest thread. “So he led us where he wanted us to go.”

“Wasn’t Remus supposed to lead him?” Ron argued.

“Who’s to say you can’t do both at the same time?” Tonks supplied. “That’s the key to an ideal interrogation: make the subject want to tell you.”

“How do we know he’s not purposely misguiding us?” Hermione prodded.

“Focus on any mistakes he made,” Tonks instructed. “Any infinitesimal slip that may have given away more than he intended. That’s the key to solving the puzzle.”

“I can’t see where he did that at all,” Ron muttered as he read over Hermione’s shoulder. “He was singularly smooth.”

“Not so,” Hermione postulated as she pointed to a particular line in the transcript. “Right here, see? He quickly slipped in the part about how even identifying a dead person was problematic.”

Tonks nodded as she reread the words for herself. “Now why would he be so insistent on adding that part? He’d already presented a valid reason why he hadn’t named any names.”

“But he did anyway,” Hermione added with mounting excitement. “At the very end, he couldn’t wait to mention that he’d overheard his contact being called ‘the Mistress of Pain.’”

“See?” Ron proposed. “That precisely how he’s manipulating the listeners to follow his every word. He heightens the suspense by denying us first, then throws it at us in the end.”

“You may have something there, Ronald,” Hermione remarked. “So everything was a build-up to that one revelation…”

“Only it wasn’t much of a shocker,” Ron asserted. “At least not to us. We suspected that it was Bellatrix from the start.”

Only that didn’t quite fit, Harry thought to himself. If that had been the case, Greyback would’ve had no need to mention the problems that revealing a living person could create at all. Why provide additional facts? He was inclined to think that the man had revealed too much, thus the hasty amendment at the end. With sudden clarity, Harry announced, “He only wants us to think it’s Bellatrix; the truth lies elsewhere.”

“Assume it’s someone still living,” Tonks took up the argument. “Which is what we would naturally have done if he hadn’t added in that last bit. Any ideas?”

“Not a one,” Harry allowed dismally.

“The Death Eaters were nothing but a sadistic social club,” Tonks scoffed. “Bella may have been the vanguard, but there had to be more rats hiding among the floorboards.”

“Any names?” Ron prompted.

Tonks shook her bright pink locks grimly. “Sorry.”

“It’s Umbridge,” Hermione breathed so softly they had to strain to distinguish the words.

”Sure, we’d all like to think that,” Ron allowed with a wry twist to his mouth. “But how could anyone possi--”

But Hermione was already one step ahead of him. “Tonks, does Remus keep any foreign language dictionaries in the house? A Spanish one in particular.”

“Probably,” Tonks confirmed as she scanned the three walls of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves that surrounded them. Then in the next breath, she Summoned one from behind the desk with a flick of her wand.

Hermione could barely contain her excitement as she flipped through the pages. With a satisfied grin, she proclaimed, “Dolor is the Spanish word for pain. What’s more, the plural, dolores, can refer to a non-specific pain so it’s also translated as ‘woes’ or ‘troubles.’”

“Then the Mistress of Pain could easily refer to Umbridge,” Harry finished.

“Say, Hermione, when did you decide to take up a foreign language?” Ron wanted to know.

With a slight blush, Hermione asserted, “I didn’t. It was just a random fact from a conversation I recalled. Remus said that Umbridge’s mum must have been a bit of a Seer to name her such.”

“Could it just be a coincidence?” Tonks cautioned. “Ron’s right about the wishful thinking part.”

But for Harry, it had all fallen into place. Shaking his dark fringe vigorously, he pronounced, “It fits the profile perfectly. Don’t you see? Greyback “ or whomever “ sees himself as superior to everyone around him. Thus he toys with us; gives us contradictory statements, bits that he’s certain we will only misinter--”

Hermione gasped, “He even went so far as to suggest that the same person was behind the overtures he received from two separate factions. Made it sound like he was pulling our legs with the absurdity of it all.”

“Yet with Umbridge in the driver’s seat, it could very well be the truth!” Ron cried. “We’ve solved it!”

“So has Remus, I might remind you,” Tonks added.

“And none of us can prove it,” Harry groaned.

“Without proof, it’s nothing but a theory,” Hermione sighed.

“If only we had encountered Umbridge outside of school,” Ron mused. “A disgusting thought, but it might give us more to work with.”

Harry grimaced as he considered that Umbridge’s reign of terror at Hogwarts was best forgotten. No doubt, he was not the only student who revisited those events in his nightmares. Turning to Tonks, he suggested, “Did you ever run across her while you were in the Auror Department?”

Tonks shook her head. “She was too firmly tied to Fudge’s robes to ever mingle with the rank and file. Besides, even at the Ministry, it was widely accepted that nothing good ever came of attracting Dolores’ attention.”

“Wait, I may have something!” Hermione’s voice was tinged with urgency. “Viktor told me that Umbridge had once visited Durmstrang to lay the groundwork for the Triwizard Tournament. Fudge had a conflict and she was sent in his stead with Barty Crouch, Senior.”

“Of the International Cooperation Bureau,” Harry supplied. “That makes perfect sense.”

“Crouch is dead,” Ron complained. “Not much of a credible witness.”

“True,” Hermione allowed. “But they were accompanied by a third man. Viktor was certain he was a Quidditch coach, but it must have been Ludo Bagman.”

“Did Viktor actually confirm it was Bagman?” Harry stressed carefully.

“I never got a chance to ask him point blank,” Hermione admitted with a slight frown. “But who else could it have been?”

“You may be mistaken about that, Hermione.” Harry offered as the memory came floating back. “We ran into Ludo Bagman at the Broom & Bucket and Viktor barely remembered him from the Triwizard Tournament.”

The boisterous activity of the famed Quidditch pub bumped shoulders with him once again. Laughter like peals of thunder radiating from the low rafters, snatches of conversations combining into a montage of illogic in the back of his mind. Amid a roiling carpet of bodies, Bagman had spied their party from across the room and woven his way over to say hello. Viktor turned around with the friendly grin he reserved for fans, but it was clear he didn’t recognize the washed out features before him.

With a good-natured chuckle, Bagman acknowledged Viktor’s bewildered expression, “You don’t remember me, do you?”

Viktor shrugged apologetically. “Am atrocious vith names, I admit.”

“Ludo Bagman. We met at the Triwizard Tournament. I was one of the judges.”

“Of course!” Viktor nodded emphatically. “I vas bundled nerves before facing dragon; smoking vith scrapes and bruises after.”

Bagman laughed at the wry description. “You did look rather shell-shocked.”

“Like in ocean?” Viktor responded to much amusement.

“No, like in an artillery barrage,” Harry confided in a loud whisper.

”Ah, hot blast from explosion that knocks to ground,” Viktor agreed. “Very apt description for Chinese Fireball!”

After a bit more aimless conversation, Bagman melted back into the crowd.

“He look a lot different during tournament,” Viktor conceded lowly once Bagman was out of sight. “Not recognize as same man.”

“So you did remember him after all?” Ron urged.

“Ya, Ludovic vas name of grandfather,” Viktor volunteered. “Even I recall such connection.”

“Dumbledore made a big fanfare of the introductions,” Harry supplied.

“Karkaroff, too,” Viktor recalled.

Ginny prodded, “You remember a more robust man, don’t you?”

Viktor nodded. “But this pale imitation of self, vas suffering vith great illness?”

“Not exactly,” Ron allowed as he described the scandal with the leprechaun gold and excessive gambling debts that brought about Bagman’s resignation.

“Crisis of judgment then,” Viktor summarized for Ron’s benefit. “He be your boss othervise, no?”

“Rumor was that he was so stressed most of the time, the entire department was in a constant uproar,” Ron attested.

“Or so says the rumor mill,” Harry amended.

“Bagman should be glad we’re feeling rather mellow at the moment,” Fred provided as he turned to face the rest of the group.

“Otherwise, he’d be buying us drinks until the end of time,” George affirmed as he detailed how they had been swindled of their winnings from the World Cup.

Viktor laughed heartily at the amusing manner in which the twins relayed their gambling woes. “But you two underage at time, right?”

The twins narrowed their eyes in suspicion, but then gave in with glum nods.

“So you break law; he break law. Is stalemate, no?”

“Bagman should never have accepted the twins’ wagers,” Ginny confirmed in an uncanny echo of her mother.

“True,” conceded George. “The wager was not legally binding.”

“But the tosspot should’ve at least been man enough to acknowledge that,” Fred insisted.

“You vould have been happy vith full refund?” Viktor surmised.

“Not happy exactly. After all, we gave up a veritable mountain of gold,” George stressed.

“With leprechaun gold, that should be a virtual mountain,” Ginny clarified.

“So we came to find out,” Fred sighed in dejection before a lopsided grin won out.

“You were lucky Harry invested the winnings from the tournament instead,” Ron pointed out.

Harry resisted the urge to mention that those very winnings had not been too lucky for Cedric Diggory and family.

“Otherwise, the two of you’d still be taking wagers on errant dragons to bankroll your business,” Ginny observed.

“You vagered against Viktor in First Task?” Viktor clutched his chest in mock outrage.

“Against me as well!” Harry emphasized as he fixed the twins with an icy look.

“In all fairness, mate,” Fred scoffed. “We gave extraordinarily long odds on the dragons…”

“…but there’s always those who won’t turn over their galleons unless they stand to win big,” George finished for him.

“And if dragon vin, vat vould you have done?” Viktor teased. “Conjure extra coins from dung left behind?”

“Blimey! We’d have been wearing black ‘til the end of time!” Ron concluded dryly.

“Let me put it this way, Viktor,” Ginny confided in a low whisper. “Nothing that crowd could have done to the twins would’ve compared to what our mum would’ve done. Nothing!”

“Right,” Ron nodded effusively as Harry finished narrating the events for Tonks and Hermione. “I recall that part of the evening quite clearly.”

“So Bagman is out,” Tonks confirmed. “Did Viktor provide any other details, Hermione?”

“Not really,” she shrugged. “It was just a passing reference to Luna’s new exhibit on the Toad Woman herself.”

“Didn’t you say Viktor described the man as a Quidditch coach, though?” Harry reiterated.

Hermione hesitated. “It could have been an assump--”

Catching Harry’s unspoken thought, Ron cut across, “And in Bulgaria, Quiddich coaches are often werewolves.”

“We need to know which one in particular,” Tonks pressed with mounting excitement.

“Assuming it is a werewolf,” Hermione cautioned, but it was clear she thought they were on to something herself.

“Then the first thing we need is a rogue’s gallery of suspects,” Harry concluded. “That, I can provide.”

With several long strides towards the drawing room hearth, Harry announced, “Ministry of Magic,” into the bright green flames as he disappeared from sight.






The impassive face of Prometheus peered down at him, resigned to its harsh fate. Amid an angry swirl of robes, Zeus’ eyes were like daggers, daring Harry to be man enough to commute the sentence.

It was hardly a welcoming image, Harry decided. Selected more to command respect for the Ministry’s power than anything else. Just the sort of thing one would expect from a leader who had condemned countless souls to rot in Azkaban as former Head of the Auror Department.

The catlike tread of his trainers bypassed the empty row of other fireplaces as he made the obligatory stop to check his wand.

“Forgive me, Smathers. I seem to be without my credentials tonight.”

“No problem, Mr. Potter. Anyone would recognize you anywhere.”

“Thanks, but it never hurts to be careful,” Harry insisted as he allowed the measure of his wand to be taken then produced a miniature stag Patronus for good measure.

“Always a sport,” Smathers complimented him with a tip of his cap as Harry moved towards the golden bank of empty lifts.

Within seconds, he was stepping out onto the bustling corridors of the Auror Department. Tinny music poured forth from wireless sets on just about every desk, attesting that those on duty had been intent on the Azkaban interview just minutes before. Analysts looked up at his arrival then turned back to their notes.

Harry stepped up to the closest young man. “Brimley, isn’t it? I need to get some photos from our stores. An assortment of werewolves. Anything we have on file.”

Brimley grinned up at him. “Can’t get that growl out of your mind, can you?”

“It’s going to haunt my dreams if I’m not careful,” Harry returned. “Perhaps if I stared at some faces something might click.”

“You think you recognized the voice? I thought it had been altered.”

“It was.” Improvising, Harry confided, “But something in the pattern of speech keeps nagging at me…”

Brimley nodded in understanding. “Rather like that puzzle with the golden egg, eh?”

No wonder the man looked vaguely familiar. “Yeah,” Harry admitted with a note of self-deprecation. “I was out of my depth then, too. That entire contest was rigged, you know.”

Brimley chuckled in a friendly manner. “Life just substitutes one inscrutable puzzle for another, doesn’t it?”

“Certainly in the Auror Department,” Harry acknowledged as he followed the other man towards a long ribbon of black filing cabinets that dominated the back wall.

With a quick slice of his wand, Brimley commanded a number of documents to rise from various drawers and settle themselves neatly on a nearby desk.

“There you go, Mr. Potter. A selection of those in captivity as well as those still believed to be at large. Do you need the ones that are confirmed dead as well?”

“These should do just fine.” As a panicked thought occurred to him, Harry added as casually as possible, “Werewolf Registry has too many to choose from; best I concentrate on the ones we already suspect.”

Brimley agreed. “Werewolf Registry won’t reopen until Monday morning. Although if you need something immediately…”

“No, no, this is really quite adequate for my needs.” Harry quickly averted his eyes once he confirmed that Greyback was included in the stack. “It’s more to get my mind to stop reeling long enough to go to sleep.”

“You’re not one of those whose cognitive powers peak during sleep?”

“If I were, I’d demand twice the salary,” Harry joked. “The Headmistress once asked me the very same thing. Admitted she didn’t have that ability, either.”

Brimley flashed a small, nostalgic smile. “I never really got to know her in that capacity. She was just my no-nonsense Transfiguration teacher “ and I assure you, she was singularly unimpressed with me. The tournament took place during my final year.”

“But it’s essential --” Harry started to say, but Brimley cut across him.

“”for an Auror to have top marks in Transfiguration?”

“Exactly. Yet, here you are.”

“I wouldn’t be if my dorm mate hadn’t dragged me along by the collar. He was the talented one who agreed to a tosser for a study partner. But that was just the sort of chap Cedric was.”

“You were in Hufflepuff?” Harry gaped. Of all the ruddy luck! “I would have given anything for that confounded tournament to have ended differently! Cedric didn’t deserve to die.”

“No one who sacrificed themselves to stop Voldemort deserved to die,” Brimley fairly spat. “But Fate is a royal bitch, no?”

Unsure what to say in response, Harry remained silent.

In a more modulated tone, Brimley added, “But no one faults you. It was clear you were just as broken up about it as Cedric’s folks.”

Harry sat down opposite Edwin Brimley; the name had come to him like a stroke out of the blue. “You know, Eddie, Cedric’s dad works in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. He’s been a consultant on this case.” He hefted the small stack of photographs for emphasis. “I’m sure he wouldn’t mind hearing from one of Cedric’s friends.”

“Thanks, Mr. Potter; I’ll be sure to look him up.”

“It’s Harry. Kingsley may be caught up in formalities, but I’m not. School chums should always come out on top. Do I need to return the photos?”

With a wide grin, Eddie shook his head. “I already made you copies. No need to rush back on a Sunday.”

“You saved me from the fire, Eddie. I promised my wife I wouldn’t be but a minute.”






Harry tumbled out of the drawing room hearth to find the room as well as the adjoining study empty. With his folder of photos grasped tightly, he peered into the kitchen where Hermione was cradling Eleanor on her lap. Eleanor opened her round dark eyes to look up at them over her bottle.

He considered telling Hermione he’d just passed her off as his wife, but decided that Ron’s jealousy was just too volatile to mess with. Even for him. Instead, he settled for, “Did all the sudden activity wake her up?”

“Quite the opposite, mate,” Ron grinned from behind the cold cabinet door. “The sudden quiet made her restless.”

“Apparently, she’s got her father’s internal clock,” Hermione noted as Ron emerged with a sandwich in hand. “Tonks took the opportunity to check on Phoebe and Teddy one last time.”

“I’m surprised they’re not out cold from trying to teach Eleanor how to crawl,” Harry chuckled.

“They must have done a couple of miles each “ on their hands and knees, too,” Ron rejoined merrily.

“While Eleanor just watched them with the most intrigued expression on her little face,” Hermione cooed as she rocked her daughter back to sleep.

“Everyone’s where they should be,” Tonks assured them from the doorway. “Didn’t dare to smooth Teddy’s rumpled covers -- not even with my wand -- lest he wake up.”

“He’s old enough to pull the blankets over him if he gets cold,” Harry affirmed.

“Any luck?” Tonks motioned towards Harry’s folder then nodded with approval when he spread the photos out. “What about Viktor?” she posed to Hermione.

“I really had no idea where to find him so I sent a Patronus message. He’s certain to recognize my otter as much as he teased me about it.”

“What’s to tease about an otter?” Ron wondered.

“Knowing Viktor, probably that it doesn’t have wings!” Harry guessed.

“And a good thing, too!” Ron interjected. “Ruddy thing would look like a furry wyvern.”

“Have you ever seen a wyvern?” Hermione countered.

“In picture books,” Ron returned. “And I assure you, an otter is much more appealing despite being low to the ground.”

Their attention was diverted by the sudden flash of emerald flames from the hearth. Krum must have been relatively close or it would have taken considerably longer for the Patronus to locate him.

“So is party in Marauder’s Den and I not invited.” Viktor’s smile issued from the green coals.

Handing the dozing Eleanor into Ron’s waiting arms, Hermione knelt down in front of the grate. “I had no idea where to find you,” she admitted candidly. “It being Saturday night and all, I hope you didn’t have other plans.”

Viktor laughed deeply as her obvious embarrassment. “Rest of team vent to red light district, but Viktor tired of gawking years ago. Vy not join me in Paris? Have whole suite to myself. Ron and the others, too.”

“I’m not sure I’d know how to get there,” Hermione demurred.

“Is easy,” Viktor urged. “Hotel not far from Eiffel Tower. Just Apparate there and I come get you. Parisian taxis like amusement park ride: no rules.”

Tonks eased herself to the forefront. “I’m familiar enough with the area to get us there, but it’s not a good idea to Apparate with an infant in hand.”

“Is that Eleanor?” Viktor cooed as Ron rested his free hand on Hermione’s shoulder. “She is beautiful, Vicky. Ven I get to meet in person?”

With a delighted smile, Hermione promised. “Soon, I hope. She so adored the tiny Abraxan team you sent her. I’ve used it as opportunity to tell her all about you.”

“Princesses need royal steeds to pull their magical troikas,” Viktor responded. “Even if only toy.”

“Just no Wronski Feints until she’s old enough to walk,” Ron cautioned as Hermione hastily added, “At least!”

“Is deal,” Viktor agreed. “But I not need broom to sweep her off feet. Vomen of all ages alvays like Viktor. Is curse.”

Amid the chuckles that followed, Hermione dared to whisper, “I would’ve been mortified if my otter disturbed anything.”

Viktor chortled wryly, adding, “I not Floo back if in middle of romantic assignation. Only so much good looks and stunning Quidditch career can overcome.”

Tonks collapsed in the nearest chair as her knees grew weak from laughter. From out of nowhere, the thought struck her that Freddy would adore Viktor -- and not just due to the man’s raven-hair, either. Viktor’s self-effacing humor was the perfect foil for Freddy’s over-exuberance. Granted, Freddy rarely lasted longer than fifteen minutes between relationships; but then his entanglements tended to be short-lived as well.

Sizzling salamanders, she was as bad as Ginny and Hermione -- no use denying it to herself. And to think she’d chastised them just last week for hatching a demented matchmaking scheme to send Dobby on an errand to the Ministry Archives. Taking advantage that he was outdoors planting the spring flower boxes, the two of them had hurriedly explained how Philemena, the house-elf who worked as Abigail Creevey’s assistant, was an ideal match “ cut from the same cloth, as it were. It was obvious that Dobby’s long-time friendship with Winky was strictly platonic, they stressed with knowing smirks.

Tonks started guiltily as the subject himself offered to make them some tea or cocoa to go with Mr. Ron’s sandwich.

“No, thanks,” she declined graciously. “There’s plenty of cold cider and pumpkin juice if we get thirsty.”

“Don’t go just yet, Dobby,” Harry requested. “I might have use for your unique skills in a moment.”

With a small shrug, Dobby scrambled atop one of the kitchen stools to watch the proceedings.

Hermione was explaining how she hoped Viktor could recall the “Quidditch coach” he’d seen in Umbridge’s company so many years ago. Uncertain of the WWN’s broadcast radius, she judiciously omitted any mention of the interview. With luck, Viktor had been otherwise occupied in his Parisian hotel room and could approach the subject with a fresh perspective. Either way, it was best not to draw his attention to their objective.

“I’m sorry we can’t tell you more,” Ron added for good measure.

“Is all right. You did not earn Orders of Merlin for being incurable gossips. Is impossible to Floo directly between sites vithout prior permission from foreign office, so you sending photos by owl?”

“Actually, we have a better option,” Harry explained as he motioned Dobby over. “If you’ll just step over to the side, our house-elf will hand them to you.”

“Is not hampered by time and distance?” Viktor posed with a bemused scowl.

“Elvish rules differ,” Dobby volunteered in explanation. In the next instant, he handed the portfolio through the green embers and returned empty-handed.

“Just take your time, Viktor,” Harry instructed. “Don’t feel you have to pick any of those faces. It’s just a starting point.”

With a curt nod, Viktor’s Slavic features withdrew from the embers to review the dossier. Too late, Harry realized he’d not gotten the name of the hotel or even Viktor’s room number so they could reconnect from this end.

“We’ll just have to wait for him,” Tonks concurred. “It’s best not to skew the results by imparting a sense of urgency.”

It was only minutes later when the flames flared brightly once more. “Recognize vithout any doubt,” Viktor announced. “I put that photo on top of others. How do I return?”

Once again, Dobby bent over the hearth and reached into the soft coals. Very deliberately, he pulled back with the folder clutched in his long fingers.

Eleanor was fast asleep despite all the activity so Hermione took a moment to strap her into her carrier before joining the others clustered together, breath bated in anticipation. Harry caught everyone’s eyes to convey silently that their faces were not to reveal anything. Yet he couldn’t contain a small smile of triumph when Fenrir Greyback’s craggy features stared up at him from the first photo.

“I pick right von?” Viktor inquired from the grate.

“Let’s just say you confirmed our suspicions,” Harry remarked as he thanked Viktor profusely for his assistance.

Extracting a final promise from Hermione to Floo him later in the week to make definitive plans, Viktor faded into the glowing coals.

“Not that it really proves anything,” Hermione contended as she and Ron said their goodbyes. “But it’s one step closer to the truth.”

“Confirmation from an unbiased source can be very valuable,” Tonks raved. “You three accomplished more tonight than the whole bank of analysts on duty in the Auror Department, guaranteed.”

All Harry could think was that he couldn’t wait to tell Remus. Perhaps, he’d let the man greet his wife first, but Tonks would have to promise to not let the proverbial Kneazle out of the knapsack.

But when Sunday night dissolved into Monday’s first hour and the man had yet to return, Harry had no choice but to retire for the night. On the tea tray Dobby had equipped with a self-warming charm, Harry carefully leaned a note which read: We have solved it. He signed it simply with his initial.
Twenty-Seven: Gifts in All Shapes and Sizes by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty-Seven
Gifts in All Shapes and Sizes




As was his custom, Harry returned from work at mid-afternoon on Wednesday. He was pleasantly surprised to find a gaily wrapped parcel on his pillow and a drowsy Ginny curled up under the smoky blue quilt. He couldn’t help admiring how her hair formed a lake of molten lava against the silvery bed linens.

Despite his best effort to tiptoe into the adjoining bath to remove his tie, Ginny stirred almost immediately. “I thought I heard your tread on the stairs,” she offered in their familiar recognition ritual.

“I was hoping to not disturb you,” Harry replied with a sheepish smile.

“Doesn’t matter,” she mumbled sleepily as she sat up and stretched her arms languidly over her head.

Harry’s eyes were irresistibly drawn to the white satin folds that draped over her lithe torso like shimmering layers of ice. Or shiny meringue ready to be licked off, his libido supplied. With the heat of color in his face, Harry turned his eyes towards the gift box to retain his equanimity. There probably wasn’t time before the others arrived, anyway. Why hurry when they had the long, uninterrupted night before them?

“Is it my birthday already?” he remarked as a simple tug on the ribbon caused the box and wrapping to collapse upon themselves. “Magical wrappings, too?”

Ginny nodded with a wide grin. “My determination to find something unique for Rabbit and Spook convinced our hosts to take us to a magical village.”

“Like Hogsmeade?”

“Only better,” Ginny attested as she described the sensation of stepping back into the pages of an antique volume of faerie stories. In the hollow of imposing violet mountains capped with year-round ice, the village was visible only to those accompanied by a majikan host. “That’s the generic term they use for wizards, witches, and any other beings with innate magical ability,” she explained.

Even in late spring, the breeze had swirled sharp ice crystals among the dark wood of the structures. The eaves were cut with intricate patterns like lacy eyebrows above the rosy glow of the windows and doors.

“The confectionary shop was a religious experience,” Ginny raved. “Counter upon counter of sweets fashioned to look like ordinary objects such as woodland mushroom caps, delicate sprigs of wildflowers, and tiny birds’ nests.”

“Surely you didn’t pass those up?” Harry urged with longing.

“Had to,” Ginny groused. “Foodstuffs are prohibited by International Floo Treaty.”

“How did Remus manage the caviar for Dobby then?”

“Diplomatic privilege, Percy explained at length. As Moody’s attaché, he didn’t have the same restrictions when traveling by Portkey.”

“Besides, who would suspect Mad-Eye?” Harry posed rhetorically.

“Why does he always get to break the rules?” Ginny countered, knowing full well the untapped mischief that lurked within her husband’s mentor.

“Kingsley claims it’s because he’s learned how to go unnoticed.”

“Unnoticed? He stands out like a one-armed octopus!”

“Precisely,” Harry concurred. “And people perceive him one of two ways: either that he’s batty and benign, or sinister and off-putting. It’s a persona Moody’s cultivated for years. They’d never suspect him of something as ordinary as smuggling foodstuffs.”

“So it’s only to us that he appears as a sinister and calculating bastard?” Ginny posed with a wide grin.

“But only in the most affectionate way,” Harry confirmed.

Looking pointedly at the round box that still rested unopened on her husband’s pillow, she quipped, “Is it your plan to wait until Christmas?”

With a shake of his head, Harry threw the lid high into the air followed by gauzy sheets of tissue which floated softly to the floor. Nestled within was a brimless hat of soft grey fur.

“Tell me it isn’t…” Harry whispered as his fingers caressed the silken hairs of their own volition.

Reading his mind instinctively, Ginny volunteered, “It’s grey lynx. An elusive creature said to be cursed with an uncanny ability to create mischief and then fade into the shadows like a wraith.”

“Is that how you see me?” he queried with a sharp quirk to his right brow.

Ginny laughed lightly. “The color suits your dark hair. No deeper meaning implied.”

“I thought Russia was renowned for its sable.”

“Oh, it is,” she practically purred. “Black as the deepest night, it contrasts particularly well with my hair.” With a saucy wink, she added, “I promise to model it before bed tonight.”

Harry joined in with her mischievous laughter. “Please tell me you didn’t bring something similar for Remus. You know how he feels about animal pelts.”

“Yet he has no problem wearing leather shoes,” Ginny remarked.

“Or eating beef. But I don’t think he feels the same kinship with cows.”

“Sables are bred for a specific purpose just like cattle.”

“I’m not the one you have to convince. You know Remus sees his very name as an ironic tribute to his destiny.”

“Well, you won’t see me waxing poetic about Weasley “ or even Potter.”

“My ancestors must have been renowned for their bisque ware,” Harry argued playfully.

“Or being drunkards, more like!” Ginny snorted in return. “As for mine, I bear no false illusions. Clearly, they were involved in trapping weasels “ which are related to minks, sables, ermines, and martens. Case closed.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Harry allowed. “No such thing as a were-weasel.”

With an arch look, Ginny returned, “Oh, I wouldn’t say that. A certain literary agent comes --”

But before she could elaborate, loud whoops reverberated up the stairwell indicating that Rabbit and Spook had found their own surprises nestled among the bed pillows.

“Come,” Ginny urged as she threw a sweatshirt over her camisole and tugged on jeans in record time. “I left my fire lizard on guard duty but I wouldn’t put it past those two to outsmart a ruddy Patronus!”

Certain that all would make sense in short order, Harry followed her down the stairs and into the ground floor drawing room.

Dobby turned with a wide grin from setting the dinner table, the rainbow tassels from his short orange jacket swinging merrily.

“It suits you perfectly,” Ginny crooned as Dobby caught her up in a tight hug around the legs.

“So sorry your nap was cut short, Mistress,” the house-elf issued as he tilted his head to look up at her adoringly. “The other box was discovered sooner than expected in the Dark Arts office…”

He trailed off as Tonks danced through the kitchen doorway, the diaphanous tails of her long tunic floating gracefully with each movement. The embroidered black waistcoat cinching her upper body only served to emphasize the gossamer tunic beneath. She grabbed Ginny in an impulsive hug, causing the hairbrush to clatter from Ginny’s hand.

“It’s wonderful!” Tonks gushed into Ginny’s tangled mane. “However did you get the size right?”

“As many clothes as we’ve traded back and forth?” Ginny cried. “Not to mention the times my wand’s made alterations on some of Andromeda’s hand-me-downs.”

Tonks returned a radiant smile. “Mum does have the best castoffs, doesn’t she?”

“So were you surprised when you walked into your office?” Ginny urged.

“Actually, Teddy was. Quickly followed by disappointment that the tag didn’t bear his or Phoebe’s name.”

“I assumed they’d be with Fleur this afternoon,” Ginny confessed. “Did I get my days mixed up by crossing so many time zones?”

“Last minute change of plan; Fleur’s taking them on Friday instead.”

“It’s Yvette’s birthday and she wants a sleep-over,” Harry added.

“Needless to say,” Tonks elaborated, “the children insisted on Flooing Dobby from the hearth in my office to make sure they hadn’t been forgotten. And after that… Well, I had no choice but to come home early. They were dragging me down the front slope at such a pace, it’s a wonder I managed to send a Patronus to Remus.”

“So that explains why the poor beast was shaking from head-to-tail,” Remus remarked from the back door. “Not old age palsy after all.”

“Daddy! Daddy!” The cries heralded a blur of motion as Phoebe and Teddy raced to welcome their father. How Remus always managed to deftly arrested their momentum without tearing his arms off was a mystery to Harry.

“We have presents, too!” Teddy proclaimed as he struggled to his feet.

“Come!” Phoebe insisted, tugging with all her might on the sleeve of her father’s jacket.

Remus’ eyes washed over Tonks’ outfit with undisguised longing, followed by an apologetic smile.

“Who gets to go first?” he asked as he swung his head back and forth between the doors to his children’s rooms.

Ginny solved the problem by sliding into Phoebe’s room and sitting herself down on the mattress. “You’ll have to convince the fire lizard that it’s really you,” she instructed Phoebe as she pointed to the silvery figure swirling in protective fashion over the colorful parcel. “Can’t have just anyone taking it for themselves.”

Phoebe giggled in anticipation as she gingerly took a step forward. The lizard Patronus immediately fixed its glowing eyes on her in warning. “Phoebe!” she announced loudly.

But the lizard was not appeased. It blew an angry burst of smoke that had Phoebe back-pedaling into her mother’s legs for safety.

“Not so fast, Phoebe,” Ginny crooned. “Anyone could find your name in the birth records stored at the Ministry. Tell it your secret name.”

Nodding eagerly, Phoebe minced forward and trilled, “Rabbit!”

With a final swish of its tail, the fire lizard dissolved into the air vent. As Phoebe approached closer, the bow untied as if pulled by invisible fingers. She watched in awe as the silvery paper retreated like the tide and the sides of the box collapsed open.

“It’s a doll’s house!” she issued, her blue eyes sparkling with joy.

“Not just any doll’s house,” Ginny clarified, “but a true dacha in the great Russian tradition.”

Phoebe was instantly entranced by the brightly painted structure which unhinged to reveal rooms full of tiny furniture inside. Tonks knelt beside her daughter as they explored the new domain in reverent whispers.

In turn, Teddy was practically dancing with anticipation as he implored his father silently.

“You’ll need Ginny to give you the magical clue, Spook,” Remus allowed with amusement at his son’s impatience.

“You’re right, Teddy. They’ll be at it for hours,” Harry agreed as he caught Ginny’s hand and directed her across the hall.

In the background, Tonks cried out with childish delight, “Look, sweetheart, there’s even tiny closets!”

Much to their surprise, Teddy’s gift hovered expectantly over the bed as the intrepid fire lizard darted up, over and around it.

“Is he holding it up?” Teddy demanded.

Ginny smiled enigmatically. “You’ll see once you dispatch the guardian.”

“Spook!” Teddy cried only to be met with disappointment.

“Not much of a puzzle if the same answer unlocks everything,” Harry chuckled as he sat down on the cushioned lid of the toy chest and pulled Ginny onto his lap. “Give him another clue, dearest.”

Ginny made a show of biting her lip in concentration. “Let me see…” She looked up at the ceiling to maximize the suspense. “This calls for a sports clue. What do they call the little golden ball that flits all around the Quidditch pitch?”

“The Snitch!” Teddy replied instantly.

“Too easy,” Ginny countered. “What animal was almost rendered extinct by early Quidditch pioneers for serving the same function?”

“What me to summon a guidebook?” Harry suggested, but Teddy shook his head stubbornly.

After a few moments of thought, Teddy’s tiny smile indicated that he’d found his answer. “The Snidget!” he announced heartily, then watched with satisfaction as the smoky fire lizard shot a tiny flame in his direction before whizzing through the window glass.

“It still floats!” Teddy broadcast so loudly that Tonks and Phoebe were also drawn forth.

As Teddy reached for the end of the blue ribbon, it recoiled playfully from his touch then spooled into a looping puddle atop his pillow. In the next breath, the foil wrapping was whisked from the package by invisible forces and the empty box fell with a small thud atop the bedcovers.

Still floating before them was the most peculiar racing broom Harry had ever seen. The handle was carved in the shape of an elongated horse, the rear bristles forming the horse’s tail. The hand-holds were the ears just as the rear legs had been fashioned as footrests.

“Can I ride it?” Teddy beseeched to the adult faces ringing him.

“Of course, Spook,” Remus attested. “It’s a broom “ not a pet!”

“Just let Harry or me give up you a preliminary flying lesson first. Promise?” Ginny insisted.

“Weather’s holding fast. What say we do it now?” Harry suggested impishly.

Tonks grabbed Ginny’s sleeve before she dashed out the door behind the mass of exuberant children, Harry and Remus included. “You won’t let him fly too high will you?”

“No chance,” Ginny assured her. “This model comes with an altimeter that requires a special key to adjust.”

Tonks smiled warmly at the tiny gold keychain Ginny deposited neatly in her palm. “The real trick will be hiding that from Teddy,” she murmured.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Ginny smirked. “Didn’t Hagrid used to be the Keeper of the Keys?”

“I’ll speak with him in the morning,” Tonks nodded avidly. “Perhaps take him a tray of baked goods from Dobby.”








“Ginny, a word, please,” Remus implored from the door to his study.

As instructed, he had waited until after dinner to unwrap his present as evidenced by the copy of War and Peace situated in the center of his desk. Peeking out from the corner of the silver wrappings, a red curlicue of ribbon contrasted with the polished wood surface.

“Tell me about the book,” he requested. “I’m hopeless with Russian.”

Taking the chair opposite him, Ginny provided, “Well, it’s not a first edition, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

“Not really, but the bright illustrations seem to imply a children’s book--”

“And that’s not generally a tale for children,” she finished with a small laugh.

“The length alone.”

“That’s what drew my eye to this volume,” she admitted. “The moving illustrations were so captivating, it almost makes the entire tale come to life. Even though you can’t read the words, it would be so easy to narrate it to Phoebe and Teddy by the pictures alone.”

“That would certainly allow me to edit out the more ponderous parts,” he agreed.

“Do you like it?”

“Very much so. All those battle scenes with the misguided Napoleonic forces were a great favorite from my childhood.” He hesitated, a slight frown between his brows as he folded back one side of the wrapping to reveal the parchment envelope she’d tucked underneath the flyleaf. The wax seal had been broken. “What exactly is this?”

Squaring her shoulders, Ginny countered with, “A bank draft.”

“With a goodly number of zeros,” Remus supplied. “I didn’t agree to this.”

“Standard consultant’s fee,” Ginny staunchly proclaimed. “No one’s going to leak your involvement, if that’s --”

“Is this what Eunice meant when she said I was worth every last silver sickle?” he cut across sharply.

Ginny winced. “I’m certain she didn’t mean for you to overhear.”

“Are you familiar with the term nepotism?” He shot back.

Defending her turf, Ginny rallied, “You and I are not related by blood or marriage.”

“Does living under the same roof not count for anything?” Remus waved vaguely in the direction of the ceiling to make his point.

“That’s not common knowledge. Not that it’s anyone’s business.”

“And how exactly do you think it would look if someone discovered that our addresses are the same?”

“I made a point of listing yours as Hogwarts. No one questioned that I’d want to deliver the draft to you in person. Thanking you for a superlative job in the process.”

“That’s not the point!”

“Perhaps you should explain it to the rest of us as well,” Harry interceded from the doorway as he set a Muffliato Charm.

“Just got the children to settle down,” Tonks added breathlessly as she slipped in behind him. “Dobby’s idea of feeding them early really paid off. Only one false start despite all the excitement. Phoebe’s got the doll house laid out on the floor next to her bed where she can watch for trespassers.”

“And Teddy?” Remus prompted.

“He insisted on tucking the racing stallion under the covers with him “ even though I assured him it was used to cold climates and wouldn’t catch a chill. There’s no point in arguing with him; he gets wound up and it only keeps him awake.”

“Like his father,” Harry dared with a cheeky grin.

“My apologies for the raised voices,” Remus returned sullenly.

“No apology needed, Remus,” Tonks replied as she settled herself comfortably on the armrest of Harry’s chair. “Is it too late to put in a wager?” she whispered.

The tickle of her breath against his ear had Harry fighting to keep a straight face.

“So glad to see you’re taking this seriously,” Remus sulked.

Harry shrugged nonchalantly. “It’s not often I get to be on the sidelines. Indulge me.”

Ginny flashed her husband a quick smile in appreciation before schooling the features once more. She reassured Remus directly, “It’s not intended as an insult.”

“And I’m not used to selling my services to the highest bidder!” he retorted without missing a beat.

“So donate it to charity,” Ginny suggested. “Some organization that deals with werewolf issues.”

“There aren’t any,” Remus replied darkly.

Taken aback, Ginny faltered, “Really?”

Harry made a mental note to take that up with Penelope at a later date. If she’d been active with wildlife concerns in the past, she might be amenable to doing something about such a glaring omission. Hermione would undoubtedly want to be involved as well, he reminded himself, and Penny’s presence would help to rein in her natural overzealousness.

“Perhaps you should stop thinking as an impoverished revolutionary, darling,” Tonks volunteered from her perch. “No one’s asking you to compromise your ideals.”

“The Order no longer exists,” Harry supplied. “There’s no one to accuse you of being a mercenary.”

Still unconvinced, Remus remarked, “I didn’t quibble when the WWN paid for the travel expenses. Didn’t question when Percy offered me a bedchamber fit for royalty in the Imperial suite --”

“That’s just it,” Ginny cut across. “The Ministry bankrolled that. With Mad-Eye in tow, the Portkeys were set up for the official use of the Auror Department. Not to mention the Minister’s suite…”

“Which was probably donated by the Russian Ministry of Magic,” Tonks added knowingly.

“Exactly,” Ginny emphasized. “So how would it look if the WWN didn’t pay for your time? You’re not part of the Auror Department; but it would certainly look as if you had been bought and paid for by them.”

“That’s not fair,” Remus protested.

“No, it’s not,” Harry agreed. “But the world doesn’t operate by those rules; there’s no Headmistress looking over everyone’s shoulder to make sure no one plays havoc with the truth.”

“I know you agreed as a favor to me,” Ginny mollified. “But others will never accept that. You’d be setting yourself up for a lot of speculation; not all of which is very kind-hearted, I might add.”

Clearly shocked, Remus stammered, “Surely they would never assume…”

“And why not, Remus?” Tonks remarked with a wicked smirk. “You’ve already established a reputation for liking younger women!”

“That’s woman, singular,” he swiftly clarified. “I wouldn’t have married you, cherub, if I thought you wanted to share.”

“Full of delusions tonight, aren’t you?” Tonks volleyed as she fingered her wand in a manner that would have seemed threatening to outsiders.

Remus focused on Ginny once more. “You could’ve at least warned me.”

“And argued with you then?” Ginny commented. “I would have been totally stressed by the time we got down to the broadcast.”

“I’m not an unreasonable man,” he insisted.

“Just too idealistic for your own good,” Tonks offered diplomatically before the others could voice the general consensus about stubbornness.

“That still doesn’t address what to do with this!” Remus insisted as he poked the envelope with the tip of his letter opener.

As if touching it with his fingers would sully his very soul, Harry noted wordlessly.

“Perhaps I have an idea,” Tonks proposed as she reached over for the envelope.

Remus watched her actions with displeasure burning in his eyes, but he didn’t stop her.

A quick peek at the amount was all Tonks needed before issuing brightly, “Why don’t you use it to hire that tutor you’ve been considering for Teddy? This is almost enough for half a year’s wages.”

“I hadn’t come to a final decision,” Remus protested.

“Now you can,” Tonks announced. “You know that with Pomona retiring to Tuscany, Minerva and Poppy won’t be able to keep up with the children as they have in the past.”

“There’s that primary school for magical children in Hogsmeade,” Remus considered.

“Even if you can convince them to take Teddy a year early, where does that leave poor Phoebe? She won’t be happy about being excluded -- not to mention that the Headmistress will still be put out.”

Harry considered that a Muggle primary school could easily accommodate both children, but Remus and Tonks had long ago discarded that idea. It wasn’t that they were anti-Muggle, far from it; after all, what could better acquaint children with Muggle customs than a practical lesson? It was just that non-wizarding schools were only an option for children whose magic was latent “ or at least, more subtle “ than Teddy’s.

“Why not coordinate with Bill?” Ginny put forth. “Fleur’s insisting that Victorie and Yvette attend her old grammar school in Aix while Mum’s been arguing that home-schooling has been good enough for generations of Weasleys.”

“Sounds like poor Bill’s been caught in the middle,” Harry observed wryly. “Rather like the vice Napoleon encountered between the Duke of Wellington and the Prussians.”

“That was a different conflict. A few years later,” Remus clarified in his best professorial tone.

“Sounds to me like his Excellency, the Emperor, couldn’t get along with anybody!” Tonks remarked amid much laugher.

“Imperial-sized ego,” Ginny concurred.

Which was probably not all that different than what Bill was facing from his French relatives, Remus noted inwardly. Ginny was right: as a gentleman, he owed it to Bill to help him out of a sticky situation.






After a delectable supper of smoked salmon with caviar and crème fraiche, Ginny and Harry excused themselves early to retire upstairs.

“You know we didn’t exactly fool anyone,” Ginny issued in whispery giggles as she reached the short hallway leading to their bed chamber.

“If they even noticed,” Harry snorted with pent up amusement. “Did you see Remus ogling Tonks through that enticing fabric?”

Waiting until the door closed behind them, Ginny replied, “It’s sylph silk. Meant to invoke images of wild abandon.”

“Under the full moon, no doubt.”

“How else would I be certain Remus would be enthralled?”

Harry considered that Remus would be captivated by just about any garment Tonks wrapped about herself, but didn’t want to appear critical by voicing it aloud.

“So the bonus came through after all?” he asked as he untucked his shirt tails and stretched out on the loveseat before their small hearth.

“The station execs were absolutely thrilled by the ratings numbers,” Ginny replied from the depths of their closet. “Set new records.”

“Good thing. I can just imagine how much you dropped on all those hand-made gifts!”

Ginny’s bright head poked out of the closet as she drew a fringed wrap around her bare shoulders. She’d changed her jeans for the satin pajama bottoms that matched her camisole. “Remus is reimbursing me. He begged me to find something truly remarkable for his children since Phoebe was so entranced by the toy horses Viktor presented to Eleanor.”

“And for his wife as well?” Harry goaded in a playful tone.

Ginny pulled a face in return. “So her gift is for both of them to enjoy. It’s not like I bought her anything tacky!”

“Remus would have probably liked that, too!” Harry shot back as he instinctively ducked the sofa cushion he knew was headed for his head.

“But he’d positively hate for anyone else “ even us “ to know,” she scolded him.

Deciding it was best to change the subject, Harry posed, “How did you manage to find such a unique racing broom? Teddy was totally captivated.”

“Just make sure you keep your overgrown backside on your trusty Firebolt! You outgrew the child’s size ages ago.”

“Promise. But I still want to hear about your treasure hunt.”

“Well, then,” Ginny allowed as she curled up on the opposite side of the small loveseat and laced her legs companionably with her husband’s. “It all began at the book shop which was just around the corner from our hotel. I found the book for Remus right off.”

“It was nice of you to remember him.”

“Without his assistance, this whole trip might have never come about. I was still at the bookseller’s, right?” At Harry’s encouraging nod, she took up the narrative once more.

It was there, in the back room devoted to exclusively to wizarding books, that she uncovered the unique history of Russian Quidditch. Like the mighty crown princes who played ballgames on horseback, each Quidditch player personally trained his own flying horse to respond to the smallest twitch of his knees. Granians were preferred due to their compact size and swiftness. But in the end, Ginny explained, it was much as in the case of the unfortunate Snidget: the rigors of the game were more than the poor beasts could handle. Following the lead of their western counterparts, flying brooms were substituted for the horses. Consequently, traditional Russian racing brooms were designed to honor the fearless horses which once dominated the sport. With world competition, the more fanciful hand-carved versions were abandoned in favor of more modern, high-performance models like those used in Britain.

“But from the moment I saw those Cossacks flying back and forth in the illustrations, I wanted to find a traditional broom more than anything else,” Ginny admitted.

Noticing her fascination with the Russian Quidditch manual, the shop’s proprietor had asked Ginny if she wished to purchase that book as well.

With a sad shake of her head, she pointed to the brooms themselves. “I want one of those.”

“Sadly, no longer in use,” the elderly gentleman demurred. “See von in museum, da?”

Very politely, Ginny had declined. “I wanted a special gift for a boy back home in England,” she explained.

Suddenly alert, the bookseller posed, “How old is lad?”

“Just turned six.”

“Da,” he nodded happily. “Is possible to find toy model for children. But not in city.”

Further negotiations revealed the existence of magical shops among the mountainous regions to the north. But she was warned that the villagers did not take to strangers and would likely refuse all overtures.

Not one to be put off so easily, Ginny had returned to the hotel more determined than ever. Seeing that the rest of her group had finally tumbled out of bed and managed to swallow a few bites of breakfast, she relayed what she had learned about the perfect place to shop for one-of-a-kind souvenirs.

In a heartbeat, Percy had rounded up a Russian Ministry liaison who confirmed that arrangements could indeed be made to escort them to the special village if that was how they wanted to spend their extra hours. But they would all have to go as a group by special Portkey and it would occupy most of the day.

“I resisted the urge to ask what exactly was meant by a day,” Ginny added, “Seeing as how the ruddy sun never dimmed except when a cloud passed before it!”

“It was certainly an inspired choice,” Harry echoed Teddy’s excitement over everything having to do with Quidditch.

“The toy shop was amazing! So many things I knew I’d have to pass up, with no real hope of ever returning.”

“Perhaps an owl sent via diplomatic channels,” Harry suggested. “Ask Percy for a favor.”

“If the goods were even available. Everything was unique. I passed up the most amazing set of talking figures that illustrated the tale of Peter and the Wolf.”

“The wolf talked?”

“All the creatures. They had been spelled in Russian, of course, but the toymaker assured me that could easily be adjusted. The figurine of the wolf snarled a bit like Snape on a good day.”

“Sounds like something that would also appeal to Teddy. You could have squirreled it away until Yuletide.”

Ginny tilted her head in thought. “I considered it, but…”

“The wolf is hardly the villain in that story if I rightly recall,” Harry returned.

“So the toymaker explained. Peter is exposed as a selfish, petulant child. And then it hit me --”

“Pettigrew.”

“Exactly. Even though Remus would have never said anything, why stir up unhappy memories?” Ginny concluded. “In the end, Eunice bought it for her youngest boy who’s about Phoebe’s age.”

“So you had a shopping buddy?”

“Not really. Alex, our deputy programming director, was determined to make up for the wedding anniversary he’d forgotten “ for the past decade to gauge by the present he ultimately selected.” At Harry’s expectant look, she elaborated, “A full length blue fox coat. Eunice agreed to help since she’s about the same height as his wife.”

“I see what you mean about the depth of his guilt,” Harry agreed as Ginny broke out in laughter.

“It’s not just that,” she wheezed. “Alex’s wife is considerably more rotund than Eunice. Rather like my mum. But Eunice couldn’t think of a diplomatic way to convey that to Alex.”

“But to spend so many galleons for something that wouldn’t fit…”

“In the end, the furrier’s wife was more suited to the task. Eunice filled me in when we stopped for hot cocoa with allspice to warm our insides.”

“Is that what gave you the idea to buy the hats?” Harry wondered.

With a slight frown, she tendered, “Remus wasn’t too thrilled about that purchase, either.”

“We agreed we wouldn’t parade them before him.”

Ginny nodded. “Rabbit and Spook were poking about before Tonks sent them to bed for the second time.”

“So what did you tell them?”

“I claimed they were clever replicas of the real thing. Remus escorted them to bed with some gentle words about animal rights.”

“Seems like you handled it perfectly.”

Ginny shot him a pointed look. “Remus wasn’t fooled. He made a point of thanking me for my discretion “ and then adding that he could tell the difference.”

“Did he touch them?”

“Didn’t need to,” Ginny affirmed with a sharp tap to her nose. “He could smell the difference.”

“Did you apologize?”

“He didn’t really let me. Said I was an adult and allowed to make my own choices, but that he was pleased I upheld his own beliefs before his children.”

Harry whistled lowly. “No wonder they can’t get anything past him in Gryffindor House.”

“Lack of initiative, if you ask me,” Ginny scoffed. “All it takes is a little application; not that the current generation is remotely familiar with the term.”

“Now you sound like McGonagall,” Harry teased.

“Must have rubbed off after all those years that she was saddled with watching over us before moving on to greater things.”

“It’s a right shame Remus didn’t get to accompany you. He would have loved all those little, unique shops.”

Much to Harry’s surprise, Ginny returned, “He would have come along if Mad-Eye hadn’t finally tumbled down the grand staircase, all bleary-eyed, just before lunch.”

“Really? What happened to the early-dragon-fries-the-juiciest-worm speech he always gives me when we’re paired up on assignment?”

Ginny chewed her lip self-consciously. “I think Remus would have hauled him up bodily if only…”

“If only what?”

“To tell you the truth, I only know the bare bones of what happened the night before.”

“So, spill.”

“You know how keyed-up Eunice gets after an interview; multiply that tenfold in this instance. Remus reminding her that this particular guest was extremely dangerous only made her worry that much more about the three boys she left at home with her husband. It didn’t matter that a vast, roiling ocean separated our make-shift studio from Azkaban.”

“She sounded perfectly calm and controlled on the air,” Harry commented.

“That’s what she’s paid to do, but I could just see the intense relief painted all over her face when she signed off and the remote generators powered down.”

“How does this tie in with Moody?”

“I’m getting to that. To celebrate their success, Alex suggested a few rounds once we got back to the hotel. After the first two, Remus whispered that he had an appointment with that deep marble tub upstairs and Percy and I could barely keep from yawning in everyone’s faces. The others, Mad-Eye included, were all gung-ho for a late supper at a posh establishment that would accommodate them, regardless of the local hour. As the night wore on, the others peeled themselves away little by little so in the end it was just Eunice, Alex and Mad-Eye. It was at that point that Mad-Eye boasted that he knew enough of the language to find a truly quaint watering-hole where he would teach them to drink vodka like natives.”

“But Mad-Eye has a hollow leg,” Harry interjected. “Both literally and figuratively.”

“I think Alex does, too. And as for Eunice, well, she can be a bit of a dare-devil.”

“Let me guess: she was in Gryffindor.”

“Never asked. Could it be that Tonks remembers her? They’re about the same age.”

Warming up to the tale, Harry prodded, “So how late did they stay out?”

“Who knows?” Ginny threw up her hands for emphasis. “Sun-up looks like every other hour of the day! And everyone’s watch seemed to be running on a different schedule. Which is why Remus couldn’t find Moody the next morning.”

“Surely you don’t mean…Mad-Eye and Eunice?”

“Of course not,” Ginny was quick to point out. “Despite his gruff exterior, Mad-Eye’s a gentleman “ which is more than I can say for Alex. I doubt Eunice would have gone bar-hopping without Mad-Eye as a buffer.”

“So you think he shared Alex’s suite?”

“Or one of the sound tech’s,” Ginny opined. “But I didn’t hear the complete tale from Eunice until much later. So when Remus was fuming about how they were going to miss their ruddy Portkey and Minerva was going to string his entrails across the Great Hall for good measure, I had no idea where to look.”

“I can’t believe Remus let his guard down in front of all those people.”

“He didn’t; it was in the sitting room of our suite. Just Percy walking in brought him up short.”

“Let me guess, he changed the subject in mid-stream?”

“Like a jack rabbit on a date.”

Harry laughed outright. “Hadn’t heard that one before. One of Moody’s?”

“Actually, it’s Eunice’s.”

“Well, don’t let Phoebe or Spook overhear you. They’ll latch onto it like a bolt of lightning.”

“And then trot it out before company,” Ginny finished for him. “Speaking of Teddy, how does he figure in Yvette’s sleep-over? I meant to ask you earlier, but there was so much going on.”

“Fleur insisted that we not exclude him just because he had the misfortune to be born a boy. After the protests died down, Remus offered to retrieve him after supper. But as luck would have it, Yvette insisted that we couldn’t exclude Eleanor, either. With Fleur’s assurances that the girls would not be using the guest room, Hermione and Ron agreed to bring Eleanor to Shell Cottage.”

“Ron in the middle of that hen party?” Ginny chortled.

“Right. Bill said much the same. But then they came up with a truly excellent idea. The three men -- Bill, Ron and Teddy “ would have a sleep-over of their own on the strip of beach beneath the cliffs. Not with a wimpy wizard’s tent, mind you; but like real men, under the stars with a bonfire at their feet for warmth.”

“And a regular bathroom at the top of the hill,” Ginny supplied. “I’m surprised they didn’t invite you, darling.”

“They did. But why would I want to pass up an evening alone with my wife?” he issued as he maneuvered her onto his lap.

“Did you forget Remus and Tonks?”

“No, Dobby promised to prepare a special dinner and we could all dine together -- or not.” Impishly, he added, “Although naked Quidditch is out unless you want to include Dobby as well!”

“Do you think Remus and Tonks will miss us?” she breathed, warming up to the idea.

“I doubt it,” he returned in a throaty voice as she ran her fingers deliciously through his unruly hair. “But if I’m not mistaken, you promised me a private fashion show.”

“That I did,” Ginny concurred as she jumped to her feet. In one nimble motion, she dimmed the wall sconces to an intimate glow and summoned the hat boxes to float before them. “Who goes first?”






In the other wing, Tonks was just folding down the quilt when Remus slid up next to her.

“What do you call this fabric, cherub?” he remarked as his fingers caressed the gossamer folds. In the low lamplight, it danced with a subtle luminescence that was entrancing.

“Slyph silk. Terribly rare in these days of mass production.”

“Woven by fairy-like creatures made of air?”

“Specially-bred spiders,” she returned matter-of-factly. “I think that’s what Mum said. She’s the one who always remembers those little details.”

Remus’ face lit up at the possibility of other such beguiling garments.

“As a girl, I recall my mum telling me she once had a nightgown made from it,” Tonks added.

His eyes clouded with hunger. “What ever became of it?”

Turning to face him directly, Tonks dared, “Perhaps you should ask her, Remus. I understand it was for her wedding night so I hesitated to press the matter.”

“Ummm,” he murmured into her ear. As his fingers traced the outlines of her waistcoat buttons, he added intimately, “I’ll just have to content myself with unwrapping my own package.”
Twenty-Eight: A Fox, Three Hens, and a Toad by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.





Twenty-Eight
A Fox, Three Hens and a Toad




The chirping of crickets abruptly replaced the blaring car horns as Delphinia Daltry Apparated into the fragrant copse of trees in the village square. Air perfumed with a hint of apples was a welcome change from acrid exhaust fumes, but her ears practically rang from the profound silence. Quietude and peace, that’s why people moved into the countryside. Time for that when she was dead and buried, to Delphinia’s way of thinking. Bucolic was just another synonym for boring, make no mistake.

Of a certain indeterminate age when all her female friends had retired from the work force, she preferred to keep to her longtime position running the Quaff & Quibble concession stand in the Ministry of Magic’s courtyard. If that meant she couldn’t congregate with the “hens” as often as the others, what did it matter? Her arrival was always a heralded event as she brought the choicest commodity of all: news from the outside world. Overheard first-hand, uncensored, un-reinterpreted, and more often than not, unsubstantiated.

But that’s the way the others preferred it. Free to place their own spin on the facts, they often amused themselves with concocting scandalous scenarios which could be made to fit the few bits of data. It didn’t matter that they were mostly proven wrong when the true story was reported in the Prophet; none of them professed to any Seer blood. But in the rare instances their conjectures bore fruit, they could always boast that they had suspected it all along.

Applying a city dweller’s cynicism to the narrow lane that passed for the High Street in the hamlet of Quimby, she set out in search of Starling Lane. Her low boots rang against the cobblestones but another middle-aged woman attired in the quaint fashions of her youth was hardly noteworthy. If anything, Muggles eyed the brightly colored knitting peeking out of her carpetbag before politely averting their gaze.

Putting her trust in the Locator spell she had cast from the shadows, she soon found the street and proceeded to the mailbox labeled O’Dell. The white-washed cottage practically groaned under the weight of rose trellises that covered it on three sides.

“How utterly twee!” Delphinia muttered under her breath. “Whatever were you thinking, Opal?”

Their usual meeting place in Dottie’s spacious townhouse was out of the question these days, though. And ever since Mattie had been quoted in the Prophet, it was likely newshounds were watching her doorstep as well. Whatever had Dottie been thinking to stir up such a hornet’s nest? she considered rhetorically for the hundredth time.

“Look who’s here, girls!” Opal’s voice rang out gaily as she answered the bell. “We haven’t seen Finia in ages!”

They urged her to a comfy spot on the chintz sofa; more roses she noted in passing. In short order, she was sipping chamomile tea along with the others.

“What’s that you’re working on?” Mattie inquired as she glanced as the flashing knitting needles that worked magically along with the others on the far side of the room.

With a smirk, Dottie snorted, “Looks a bit like a jumper without a proper head opening! Has it been that long since you cast a proper knitting charm, dear?”

Delphinia didn’t let the good-natured ribbing faze her. If anyone had cause to be ashamed of her knitting it was Dottie “ nothing but amorphous lumps she claimed were doilies even though they couldn’t be flattened by the heaviest of geranium pots.

“It’s a tea cozy,” she volunteered. “The metallic threads are charmed to hold in the heat.”

“How clever!” Opal gushed. “I remember the stylish scarf and mittens you made in the fall with the same colorful mix.”

“Has it really been that long?” Finia remarked. “The weeks do fly by when you fall into a routine.”

“Do tell us you have news!” Opal urged as she passed a plate of almond tea cakes to her guests.

“Always,” Finia returned with a note of satisfaction. “Shall I start with the births “ or the pregnancies?”

Such favorite subjects kept their tongues just as busy as the knitting needles for the next hour.

“But I saved the best for last,” Finia added breathlessly. With the glorious May sunset beyond the jalousie windows, they had moved on to delicate glasses of clover honey wine. Into the hushed silence, she pronounced, “The Golden Trio actually convened for the first time in ages. At a table near the back where it was easiest to eavesdrop.”

“Golden Trio?” Dottie echoed with narrowed eyes. “Is that some new nickname?”

At times like these it was hard to believe Dottie herself had worked at the Ministry for years, Finia considered inwardly. Access to the entire building; and somehow, she never picked up on the latest slang. Too busy keeping her squat nose in the air to mess with the hoi-polloi, no doubt. Aloud, she offered, “Harry Potter himself and his two favorite mates from school.”

“The busybody with the bushy hair?” Dottie pressed eagerly. “Granger, isn’t it?”

Before Finia could do more than nod, Mattie interjected, “It’s Weasley now. She has a young daughter and everything.” Mattie’s niece worked in the social announcements section of Witch Weekly and often provided them with tidbits to supplement Finia’s.

“Just as Ron’s sister is now a Potter,” Opal observed with alacrity. “Although they brought all their magical powers to bear to avoid any news coverage of the wedding.”

“That’s it, isn’t it?” Mattie gushed. “Harry Potter is expecting his first child! Oh, I just knew it.”

“Now don’t go jumping to conclusions,” Finia warned as she savored being the crux of the conversation.

“Not that it’s such a shocking development,” Opal announced. “An engagement of such scandalous length had to come to an end somehow.”

“Another ploy to refocus the world on him?” Dottie opined with pursed lips. “That Potter boy really should make up his mind. Does he want privacy or not?”

Finia jumped in before the rest of them got too far afield. “It was nothing of the kind! You lot are just determined to let your imaginations run wild; don’t you think you should hear their curious words first?”

“Oooh, a mystery,” Mattie crooned as she asked for a refill.

To her left, Dottie’s eyes squinted suspiciously.

With a showman’s skill, Finia outlined how Harry and Ron had arrived first and ordered Butterbeers all around. They were toasting each other repeatedly when Hermione arrived in a rush, waving a small sheet of parchment in triumph.

“I got it! Penny dug up a dictionary and pieced it together like a jigsaw!” she exclaimed as she scooted onto the seat next to her husband.

Finia sneaked a quick peek over Harry’s shoulder as she deposited another icy bottle before Hermione.

“What did it say?” Mattie breathed excitedly.

“I’m not rightly sure, the writing didn’t look familiar,” Finia considered with a small frown.

“So it was childish scribblings? A picture puzzle?” Dottie posed impatiently. “Really, Finia, spinning out the suspense makes for an entertaining evening, but you really should be more exact!”

“I only got a brief glance,” Finia shot back, her feathers ruffled.

“Whole governments have crumbled for less!” Dottie asserted. “Don’t tell me I’m going to have to Floo home for my Pensieve.”

“I thought you left all that behind when you resigned your Ministry post,” Finia grumbled lowly.

In contrast, Opal sympathized, “How you must miss not being in the thick of things now that you’re retired.”

With the sharp wit that made her such an enjoyable companion, Mattie volunteered, “Conducting interrogations from your parlor now, Dottie? We’d love to be included in the spectator section.”

As she joined in with the cackles surrounding her, Dolores Umbridge considered how she could maintain the innocent demeanor that would draw Finia out. “A Pensieve can be right handy,” she simpered sweetly. “You know how absent-minded we can all be at times.”

Opal nodded morosely. “Like going to the market and leaving my list on the kitchen counter.”

“Forgetting birthdays,” Finia commiserated.

“All you need is a Pensieve,” Dottie supplied. “Why I was able to recreate a complicated knitting pattern I only glanced at when someone left it behind on the train platform.”

“Might’ve been simpler to buy the book,” Mattie put forth matter-of-factly.

“Not in this case,” Dottie drew out her fabrication with an expert’s finesse. “These were from a Muggle magazine -- and quite a complicated version of the popcorn stitch, at that. I’m still working out the spell that replicates it.”

“You won’t forget to share, will you?” Opal urged with wide-eyed anticipation.

“Of course not, Opal darling,” Dottie oozed. “But I believe Finia had the floor before we got off track.” With an encouraging smile, she addressed herself to Finia, “Now take a deep breath, dear. Clear your mind; and as you let the air out of your lungs, it should all come into focus.”

“Oh yes!” Finia exclaimed with mounting excitement. “It’s more symbols than letters, rather like that inscription at the base of the golden statue in the Atrium.”

Ancient Greek? Dottie wondered. That didn’t make any sense. “Did the parchment appear old and ragged as if it had been buried in the ground?”

“No,” Finia responded with eyes still closed in concentration. “It’s not Greek, either. Some of the letters seem more like symbols from a Potions book.”

Opal had been the whiz at Potions; said it was just like whipping up a sponge cake without the use of magic. All heads turned in her direction.

“A recipe of some sort? But in a different language,” she guessed.

Finia’s eyes lit up. “Yes, they referred to Dobby liking recipes. Who’s Dobby?”

Ruddy, interfering house-elf, Dolores thought to herself but kept silent. “What else did they say?” she prompted. “The answer may work itself out yet.”

Finia nodded eagerly as she narrated what she’d witnessed.

“Dobby will be thrilled!” Harry laughed. “He was so excited with the crate of caviar, but then crestfallen when he couldn’t read any of the enclosed recipes.”

“Kingsley sure was mighty chuffed,” Hermione gloated as they toasted each other once again.

“Although you could’ve warned me, mate.” Ron gave Harry a reproachful look which dissolved almost instantly into a wide grin. “Didn’t quite know what to make of it when I found a summons from the Head Auror on my desk this morning.”

“What, Ronald? Afraid you were being assigned a detention?” Hermione issued with an effervescent laugh. “Guilty conscience?”

“I can’t imagine he was too pleased about being woken up by a silver giraffe galloping across the steppes “ even if it was just his bed linens.” Harry volunteered then begged their pardon when he was overcome with a huge yawn.

“What time did Remus wake you this morning?” Hermione inquired sympathetically.

“Before daybreak,” Harry attested with a grimace. “I’m not certain I could have focused on the clock if my life depended on it.”

“That’s what you get for leaving him a note saying we solved it,” Ron mused. “His mind churns even in his sleep.”

“I’m certain he wanted to confer with Harry before going down to breakfast with his children,” Hermione corrected. “You did tell him that it was his reference to Spanish that proved…”

“Of course,” Harry affirmed. “But he still insisted that we claim most of the credit.”

“But surely he came to the same conclusion himself!” Hermione reproved.

“But he wasn’t able to connect the Toad to the werewolf,” Ron chuckled with triumph. “Viktor really came through for us.”

“Credit Hermione for that!” Harry beamed as the clinking of bottles was heard once again.

“Couldn’t have done it without Remus’ insight,” Hermione insisted with modesty coloring her cheeks. “He’s the linguistics expert…”

Finia continued rattling off the nauseating way they kept congratulating one another, but Dolores was focused on those two words: the Toad. With a grim set to her fleshy lips, her memory took her back to those thankless days she had spent patrolling the halls of Hogwarts. Oh, she’d heard the insults “ and worse! “ mumbled in her wake; although she never let on that they had pierced her armor. That would just be allowing the enemy to get a toehold and she’d be damned if she’d succumb to their pettiness.

The Scottish foothills must breed such infantile behavior as the school faculty hadn’t been much better. Not that the other teachers had been so indiscreet to give voice to such rubbish, but she could tell what they were thinking in the depths of their stingy little hearts. Why Minerva McGonagall fairly fried her spectacles with lightning bolts every time she turned in Dolores’ direction. Such a willful and intractable woman. Even the unflappable Severus Snape had been rendered even more pallid by the loathing he kept bottled up in her presence.

And now the Hapless Trio, as she preferred to think of them, was back at it again. Thinking they had the world at their feet thanks to that cur, Remus Lupin. Why if he’d been on staff when she’d reviewed the Hogwarts curriculum, she wouldn’t have hesitated to snap a flea color ‘round his worthless neck. How she would have relished booting his mangy carcass down the front slope and into one of Hagrid’s stockades where he belonged. Half-breeds mingling together for all to see! Albus wouldn’t have been able to prevent her, either, not with the Ministry’s Educational Decrees to back her up.

But now that she was retired, that disreputable mongrel couldn’t help stirring up more trouble, always sniffing about where he didn’t belong. Dumbledore’s pet werewolf or not, Lupin was not above the law. After all, Dumbledore was dead as dust while she, Dolores Umbridge, was not without her connections. So they thought they’d had the last laugh, did they?

Noticing that the conversation had wound down around her, Dolores deliberately wiped all emotion from her face. Too late, though, as Opal asked, “Is something the matter, Dottie? You looked out of sorts for a moment there.”

“No, nothing, dear,” Dolores replied with a meek smile. “Just remembering that I left the last of supper on my counter without a preservative charm over it.”

Amid the knowing chuckles, Finia commiserated, “Like we haven’t all done the same at least two or three times this month!”

“Why don’t I open that bottle of pomegranate brandy I brought for a treat?” Mattie suggested.

But before she could get to her feet, Dottie volunteered, “Oh, let me. I’ve lost the train of the conversation as it is. You can catch me up when I return from the kitchen.”

In the background, she could hear them resume gossiping about the dreadfully entertaining interview the WWN had broadcast on Saturday. Fairly kept them glued to their seats with that rough maniac’s voice blaring forth. They couldn’t even agree on that, Dolores noted sourly. Mattie sensibly insisted that the voice had been altered to protect its anonymity, while Finia ruminated on whether the author was really a werewolf or whether that was just a ploy to increase book sales. Opal was waxing about the hardships that he must have endured due to his lousy lot in life.

“If only he wasn’t so arrogant!” Finia decried. “I hate men who think the whole world hangs on their every word.”

That seemed to be the only thing on which they concurred as the conversation shifted to the many foibles of men in general. A favorite subject that always ended with Opal stating unequivocally that her Wilbur had not been anything like all those other men while the rest of them just rolled their eyes.

Dolores took her time in the kitchen, consuming a half-glass of the brandy to make certain that it was not defective in any manner before returning to the sitting room. It had served to calm her nerves as it hardened her resolve that much more, but the others hardly noticed. They were too engrossed in a drawn out conjecture about the amphibious chatelaine and the self-effacing werewolf.

It was all Dolores could do to keep from choking on her brandy as she drained her glass. With a well-practiced swish of her wand, she directed the bottle to settle itself on the low table before the tittering hens.








In retrospect, Remus concluded that he should have expected it. Sera was just as outspoken as Tonks “ and for the first time in her life, had a rather privileged existence. But as he sat in his office organizing his class notes on that surprisingly cool May afternoon, it came as a complete surprise.

Despite the cheery fire burning in the inner office, very little warmth penetrated to his desk in the next room. He’d tried closing the door to the empty corridor, but the cold of the derelict castle leached its way past the wood regardless. Tomorrow, it would warm up with the bodies of the students returning from their long weekend and he’d welcome the quiet oasis the closed door offered. But today, it was too much like a monastic cell, he decided, as he blindly directed his wand to open the door once more.

“Did you see us approaching in a Foe Glass, perhaps?” Sera’s eyes smiled at him from the open doorway. Next to her, the ambassador’s raised fist showed he had been about to knock.

Recovering quickly, Remus offered, “Please come inside.” He clasped the ambassador’s hand solicitously as he made his way around the desk. “It’s an honor, your Excellency.”

Michel Thierry’s aristocratic features were softened by a warm smile. “Please, we are all friends here. You must call me, Michel.”

“Remus, then,” he echoed. “Bonjour.”

“As much as I’d like to respond in kind, Sera would feel left out,” Michel replied lightly.

Remus followed the familiar formula. “To what do I owe this pleasure?”

“Michel had a free weekend and Scotland beckoned,” Sera returned in a sprightly manner. “That and Serenity has been sending the most amusing owls about the antics of your children.”

“They can be a right handful,” Remus allowed with a hint of embarrassment. “Serenity’s facility with French just means that they can plot with her in private. I didn’t recruit her to be a baby-sitter; please don’t think that.”

“Of course not,” Michel assured him. “No doubt my daughter was a willing participant. This glorious castle must present all sorts of possibilities.” In a low voice, he confided, “I was a bit of a miscreant myself. My wife, of course, was a model student.”

“Hardly,” Sera scoffed. “Luckily, Serenity has no trouble applying herself to her studies.”

“If you’ll excuse me,” Michel offered as he cupped his wife’s elbow. “The Headmistress…”

“Don’t let me keep you from a previous appointment,” Remus conceded. “Minerva sets a glorious tea; the best in over-blown British propriety.”

“I’ll join you in a moment, darling,” Sera demurred. “I wanted a private word with Remus.”

“I expected as much. A bientôt, Professor.” Turning briskly on his heel, Michel took the nearest staircase two steps at a time.

Sensing Sera’s hesitancy once they were alone, Remus urged, “Something about Serenity?”

“Not really, but a personal matter nonetheless,” Sera admitted softly.

“Say no more,” Remus returned as he gestured towards the confines of the inner office. “A chair by the fire, perhaps?”

By the soft light of the single mullioned window, the cordovan leather armchairs glowed in the firelight. Sera ran an appraising fingertip along the waxed surface of the nearest sideboard.

“Such traditional trappings for an academic,” she began as if dreading to broach the subject at hand. “I envisioned something different from Serenity’s description.”

Remus smiled indulgently. “That’s because Zen prefers to work in here,” he explained, pushing open the far door that revealed the private dining room.

A tiny intake of breath indicated that the mother was equally captivated by the buttery yellow wainscoting and the semi-circular window seat. With the extra windows, the feeble sunlight was coaxed to a warm glow on the polished oak of the small dining table.

“We often work through afternoon tea at this very table,” Remus expounded. “The rounded turret is easy for my children to distinguish; its glow often acting like a beacon if they’re outside.”

Retreating once again into the cozy sitting area, Remus offered, “It’s not usually this quiet at the weekend; but today, a large section of the students are away. Hadn’t Serenity made plans as well?”

Sera issued him a small smile as she accepted the armchair he indicated. “She’s at a seaside amusement park with Cecily’s family and a small group of other girls from her House. We met them for dinner last night and it was clear they were making the most of their last hurrah.”

Remus nodded genially. “Minerva’s Almost-Summer Weekend has proven to be a very popular innovation. Students return with a clear head to attack their final challenges.”

Sera gazed out at the somnolent shores of the Black Lake just visible at the far edge of the sloping lawn. “Didn’t any of them remain behind?”

“Those facing their O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. examinations in scarcely a month’s time see this weekend as an early warning bell, which I suppose it is. The Headmistress will proudly confirm that test scores have improved since many employ these bonus days to begin their serious revising. Today, the fickle Scottish weather has them trapped in their common rooms or the library, though.”

Granted, grousing about the weather often seemed like a national pastime, but Remus sincerely doubted that was the point of Sera’s visit. Hoping to ease the nagging worry beginning to tug at him, he offered her a small glass of sherry.

“How quintessentially British,” she returned, indicating her surroundings.

He chuckled in response. “Only the surface trappings, I’m afraid. I developed a new appreciation for sherry during my stay in Spain last summer. It’s only in our country that it’s associated with stuffy Victorian matrons.”

“And just how am I supposed to take that, Professor?” she teased.

“I’m not that kind of wolf.”

“Nor am I that sort of bird.”

In his heyday Sirius would likely have categorized Sera as a vixen, Remus decided, but wisely kept silent.

After sharing a convivial laugh, Sera seemed to finally make up her mind. “I’ve consented to give Witch Weekly the interview they’ve been clamoring for,” she began. “Only it won’t be the usual fluff about the ambassador’s young wife. I intend to relay the tale of how I came to be bitten.”

Remus nearly choked on his wine. “Is that wise? What’s to keep them from sensationalizing your words?”

“The contract that Michel insisted his solicitor prepare. Sensing a scoop, the magazine was only too happy to lock itself in.”

“So your husband’s in favor of this?”

“He supports my decision. What’s the point of being in the public eye if you don’t try to change things for the better?”

“Are you going to mention the internment camps?”

“Absolutely! That’s at the forefront of people’s minds right now.”

“Please don’t think I don’t admire “ and support”your decision as well,” Remus offered diplomatically.

“But?”

With a weary sigh, he admitted to his misgivings, “Just promise me, you’ll keep my name out of it. Hogwarts is not ready to weather such a scandal.” He didn’t mention how closely they’d avoided it years ago when Pettigrew’s inconvenient appearance had led him to re-scramble his priorities.

“But surely everyone here already knows?”

“Only because Minerva treats it was a totally routine matter -- and points to the diversity already present on the faculty with Hagrid, Flitwick and Filch.” Thank Merlin, Minerva had insisted on having a back-up plan when she took over as Headmistress, he thought to himself.

“You fear the outside world pressing in,” Sera handily summarized.

“Precisely, outside influences might demand that the Headmistress approach things differently.”

Sera leaned over and squeezed his hand in assurance. “Don’t worry; Bridget said much the same thing. That her nephew had enough on his plate without being tossed into ‘the rabid milieu of career gossipmongers.’ Her words exactly.”

“Bridget always knew how to milk a phrase,” Remus chuckled.

“I’m certain she thinks me totally rash, but I assure you Michel stands behind me one hundred percent. He’s made a career of questioning conventional attitudes; what’s one more?”

“Then you’re ready to weather the scandal?”

She shrugged nonchalantly. “The foreign office lives for scandal. Surely, you remember the incident with Jamie Arbuckle last year?”

It took Remus a moment to recall the incident. “That elderly chap whose brother was accused of having a gender change? Why would anyone care after all these years?”

With a mischievous lilt, she supplied, “I suppose because he often brought Melinda as his companion to Embassy functions.”

Remus couldn’t stop himself from laughing outright. “Was her attire so outrageous everyone assumed she was a cross-dresser?”

“No, she was often photographed as being the epitome of fashion. That’s what galled them the most: that homely little Melvin had transformed himself into a swan.”

“You have to realize it won’t be quite so ludicrous in your situation, Sera,” Remus cautioned softly.

“Michel is convinced that no other career diplomat will want to have his private prejudices exposed for the world’s dissection.”

Remus doubted that such enforced enlightenment had worked with Scrimgeour, but kept silent. Sera might be right about the liberal attitudes in diplomatic circles. After all, it was easier to disguise stuffy customs within the staid halls of the British bureaucracy than among the differing cultural attitudes of the world at large.

“Not meaning to be indelicate,” Remus ventured, “but have you considered how this might impact Serenity? Not everyone is as open-minded as the Headmistress would like. Classmates may not voice unacceptable feelings before the faculty, but constant supervision is impossible.”

“She supports my decision as well.”

Remus sighed. “Oh, if only life were so simple.”

“Then why complicate it?” To his pointed look, Sera added, “The contract includes a premise prohibiting questions deemed too personal.”

“You won’t be able to enforce it; too vague.” Pressing the point, he enumerated, “What do you consider too personal? Questions about your parents? Your early years growing up? Your previous engagement? Your sex life?”

Only the slightest waver in Sera’s gaze indicated that he’d succeeded in unnerving her. “Why I suppose all those things,” she stammered.

Leaning forward for emphasis, he counseled, “I guarantee you the reporter will take a much broader view. After all, their readers are bound to be curious about all those subjects. And believe me, asking about your children will seem like a tame question in comparison to what you may convince them to side-step.”

“I’m not one to back out, Remus.”

He offered her a conspiratorial smile. “I’m not suggesting you do. But if you want to keep them away from issues about Serenity, you’ll need to refocus their attention elsewhere.”

“How can my bombshell about being a werewolf not be enough?”

“Because the minute you say ‘no comment’ to a subject, a reporter becomes convinced you have something to hide.”

“If you’re suggesting that I should be ashamed about the circumstances of Serenity’s birth --”

Interjecting smoothly, he placated, “I’m not one for provincial attitudes. But by denying them that one kernel, you will make an interviewer worth his salt want to dig that much deeper.”

“What makes you so certain?”

“Surely you recall that Harry’s wife, Ginny, is employed by the WWN. She’s been working behind the scenes on the werewolf interviews.”

“The one from Azkaban?”

“And the one pitting Umbridge against the Minister for Magic.”

“Oh.” Sera chewed her lip anxiously in the intervening silence. “Then what do you propose I do? I don’t want to hurt Serenity’s feelings by denying that I have any children. If anything, I’ve tried to keep her out of the public eye…”

“Forgive me for overstepping, but is that why she still bears your maiden name?”

Sera nodded wordlessly. “Michel suggested we leave things as they were on her birth certificate for reasons of security. Serenity understands that. Michel loves her just as much as if she were his natural child.”

“Then that’s the key to redirecting the interviewer’s attention,” he announced with certainty.

“You lost me on that one.”

“Let them focus on your marriage. So when the inevitable question arises about children, all you have to do is assume that it’s in reference to you and Michel.”

With a slight wince, Sera admitted, “I’m not certain I could pull that off.”

“Of course you can! Just hesitate in that same self-conscious manner you did earlier.”

“Is that what you thought I was going to tell you? That I was pregnant?”

“Honestly? No. A woman doesn’t make such an announcement without her husband at her side. Unless you were going to suggest I might’ve had a hand in it.”

The color rose to Sera’s cheeks but she laughed it off. “The problem is that Michel and I aren’t planning on having children.”

“That’s hardly surprising,” Remus attested. “Don’t forget I saw the look of abject fear on your face when Bridget explained the complications in a werewolf pregnancy.”

“It might’ve been different if I didn’t already have a child.”

“Or if you’d been a man, like me.”

“I hadn’t planned on steering the interview in that direction at all,” she considered. “Rather hoped to avoid those subjects entirely “ at least for now.”

“I agree. Best not to overwhelm the public all at once.” At her dubious frown, he elaborated, “It’s not as difficult as it seems. Just leave the werewolf issue until the end of the interview when the reporter has already gone through the list of prepared questions.”

“There’s bound to be follow-up questions after my announcement,” she countered.

“You can depend on that. But the reporter won’t have the luxury of having thought them out carefully. Excitement at the sheer audacity of the revelation will take over. Let the issue of children arise in the early stages so you can stammer something about how you haven’t been blessed in that area.”

“I hate women like that,” she pronounced flatly.

“I don’t doubt it,” he chuckled in response. “But it’s the expected reply and consequently won’t be questioned. Once you’ve put that issue to rest, there won’t be a need to revisit it later.”

She looked at him over the rim of her glass as she considered the wisdom of his advice. “What makes you such an expert at such things? By your own admission, you’ve always preferred to stay in the background.”

Remus took a moment to compose his thoughts. “The objective of an interview is no different from that of an interrogation: to convince your subject to tell you as much as possible. If you can draw him out, he’ll tell you things he never intended, things he may later regret.”

“Are you really that cynical?” Her almond eyes bored into his.

“Pragmatic,” he corrected. “But what you need to remember is that sometimes it’s the subject who manipulates his questioner -- instead of the other way around.”

“You still think there might be some repercussions with Serenity,” she surmised.

“Only if they associate the article with her. The different surnames will help keep that to a minimum.”

With her next words, she confirmed his suspicion that their visit had not been as randomly selected as she would have others think. “As does the fact that today we’re less likely to attract anyone’s attention.”

“All points in your favor to be sure.”

“I sense another ‘but’ straining to be set free.”

“Perhaps you should ask Harry how much be enjoyed growing up in a fishbowl. His forthrightness can be rather disarming.”

“How can you compare a world on the brink of war with a time of peace?” she cried.

“Because pettiness and hatred lurk in the shadows,” he affirmed with quiet fervor. “Those attitudes may only feel safe coming forth during times of upheaval, but they are never fully vanquished, either.”

Sera gazed regretfully at the bottom of her glass. “As much as I’d like to continue this discussion, Remus, who knows how Michel is faring with the Headmistress?”

Remus smiled in return. “Famously, I’d say. They will be talking up a virtual Gallic storm without feeling as if they’re shutting you out.”

“Minerva speaks French?”

“It was a requirement of young ladies when she attended school,” he explained. “Keeping up with Rabbit and Spook gives her practice, but it will be a treat to engage an adult in conversation.”

“Will she be plying him with sherry?”

Such cheekiness elicited a deep chuckle in response. “Irish whiskey is her preference; although the hot toddies are mostly reserved for cold, rainy days.”

“Which are rather the norm in Scotland, no?”

“Unfortunately. But on the cusp of summer, she will likely have flavored his tea with Limoncello. Enzo claims it’s the only thing that makes the English obsession with tea remotely palatable. The Heads were easily converted to his Tuscan ways.”

“Then surely you’ll join us,” Sera offered as she rose to her feet.

“You really should alert Minerva of your plans for Witch Weekly. Just in case it impacts Serenity,” he took care to advise before opening the door into the deserted corridor.

“You think it might affect the entire school,” she breathed as she ducked under his outstretched arm.

Remus offered her a reassuring smile. “Since it’s your intent to shake the wizarding world, that shouldn’t surprise you.”

She turned to look him directly in the eye. “You think I’m a gullible fool, don’t you?”

“An idealist,” he amended as he indicated the staircase before it changed direction. “It’s the way I try to approach much of life. I just can’t seem to muster it when it comes to werewolf issues.”

“Do you hate yourself that much?” she sympathized.

“I hate the way the world sees me, Sera. But I won’t deride your attempts to change that.”

“Thanks. Especially for the insider advice.”

“Anytime. But before we get too far afield, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you.”

“Should I be worried?” she quipped.

His laughter rang in the empty stairwell. “Not really. It’s just that Bridget always finds her way into our conversations and then we get side-tracked. Later, I always regret not asking after her.”

“Mending fences?”

“Perhaps. Do you two still keep in touch?”

“Her nephew moves in the same diplomatic circles as my husband so it comes rather naturally.”

As they wound their way upward past long rows of portraits who whispered in their wake, Sera explained how Bridget was currently at loose ends. Now that her grand-nephew, Tin, was away at primary school, Bridget’s nephew had accepted a mission to Sri Lanka. One week into their quixotic new surroundings and Bridget begged to be allowed to return to British soil. Since their flat had already been let out, she refurbished the small rural cottage where she’d lived with her sister, Emily, until the latter’s death. That gave Tin a retreat during the minor holidays that peppered the school year. What Bridget hadn’t counted on was how she would spend the weeks between his visits.

“I’m certain she’d be pleased to hear from you, Remus,” Sera confided. “I wager you didn’t know she’d attended Hogwarts in her youth.”

“Would she have been acquainted with the Headmistress then?”

Sera shook her dark bob as she waited for the next set of stairs to realign. “She insists Dumbledore was still teaching Transfigurations. But she recounted the most amusing tale to Serenity over Christmas.”

“Truth or embellishment?” Remus asked with an arched eyebrow.

Sera laughed. “With Bridget, it’s hard to tell. Perhaps you can be the judge.”

With that she launched into a tale of the newest instructor who had just joined the faculty, a rather bumbling fellow with a shy smile that immediately established him in the hearts of all the adolescent schoolgirls. Bertie, they called him privately, and often watched with wide eyes from behind their books as he did his best to court the stern librarian.

“That sounds a lot like Irma Pince,” Remus chuckled lowly.

“Haven’t had the pleasure “ yet,” Sera confided. “But in Bertie’s mind, she was the fair Imogene, princess from a distant kingdom comprised entirely of books.”

“No wonder he was unsuccessful,” Remus interjected, knowing the librarian preferred to live alone in a nearby cottage overrun with boisterous corgi dogs.

Bridget had acknowledged that perhaps those flowery words were more in the over-romantic minds of her friends. But it was hard not to sympathize with poor Bertie, stuck all alone in the Scottish highlands with all those terrible allergies he suffered. In the warm spring months, his classroom windows were always shut tight to keep out the pollen. Much too stuffy as summer drew near and students were often drowsy in their seats. The blustery fall days would send him into paroxysms of coughing as the biting wind wormed its way past any chink in the castle walls.

Remarkably, Bertie loved winter. The purity of the snow seemed to clear the atmosphere of toxins and he was often found building whimsical snow sculptures on the lawn beneath the small windows interspersed between the library bookshelves. A feeble attempt to catch Princess Imogene’s attention that only resulted in her chucking all the students congregating around the windows into the hallway. As they tumbled laughing out into the yard to help Bertie with his latest snow maze or to add horns of pussy willow to his fanciful train of reindeer, Irma’s pinched face could be seen staring at them from above. Bertie would smile and wave “cheerio” as her lips would purse into a thin line before turning away.

“A cautionary tale of unrequited love,” Remus summarized.

Sera shrugged playfully. “Bridget admitted he wasn’t a very effective teacher, not unless you were intent on catching a quick nap. But he never scolded anybody for that, just stepped over the splayed legs with a small sigh of acceptance for his lot in life.”

“And Bridget claims that’s a true story?”

“So she told Serenity. Although after all these years, she claimed that the man’s name had slipped from her mind just as much as his pointless lessons.”

It could be a fabrication, Remus considered; although Bridget usually wove from a kernel of truth. “Did she happen to tell Serenity what subject the man taught? Muggle Studies perhaps?”

“What makes you think that?” Sera postulated as they reached the long gallery that connected the east and west parapets of the castle.

“Just a father and son team that taught a number of years ago. The father was already ancient by the time Tonks was in school and the son retired not long after I started to teach myself.”

“I suppose it’s possible, Bridget didn’t really say. I think she was waiting for Serenity to ask, but she never did. You know how children are more prone to the unexpected than not.”

“Did she elaborate on any of the lessons?” he posed.

“Can’t stand a puzzle, can you?” Sera teased.

“I can feel this one is just beyond my grasp “ and that’s too tantalizing for words.”

Sera gave him an indulgent look. “She did mention how he’d drone on about the line of succession so he could have been talking about the Muggle peerage.”

“Or horse-breeding,” Remus scoffed only to send her into gales of laughter.

“With the man’s allergies, he would never have been in charge of Magical Creatures!” she countered.

“Or Herbology,” Remus concurred. “Ancient Runes is a possibility...”

“Pillages and plundering?” Sera posited. “She did say that his monotone could leech excitement out of the goriest battle scenes, as if he were trying to sanitize the stench of blood from the very air.”

Remus doubled over with laughter as the solution hit him square in the face. “Could the man’s first name have been Cuthbert?”

“Sounds just like a milquetoast name that would suit such a gormless chap,” Sera agreed. “Do you know anyone by that name?”

“Binns,” Remus wheezed between his laughter. “Teaches Magical History since time immemorial. Still does.” Inwardly he mused, count one for James who always maintained that a man who had witnessed the events first-hand would have described them with more gusto. Clearly Binns was not as ancient as everyone supposed.

“Should we invite him to take tea with the Headmistress?” she suggested taking a step towards the intersecting corridor.

“Hardly. The man was so boring that, rumor has it, he died in the middle of his lessons and no one was the wiser “ including him. Now that he’s a ghost, he never pesters the school for a rise in salary and is content to limit himself to haunting his own classroom.”

“You’re having me on!” Sera protested.

“If only,” Remus laughed. “Ask Zen if you don’t believe me. What’s so ironic is that now his metabolism “ or its ethereal counterpart “ manages to keep the room icy cold year-round. If the school was situated in a warmer climate, we could use him as the wizarding equivalent of a central air-conditioning unit!”

“All the more reason you should recount the final chapter to Bridget yourself,” Sera concluded just as the imposing gargoyles guarding the Headmistress’ office came into view. “I’ll scribble down her address so you can send her an owl.”
Twenty-Nine: Tea with the Dowager by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Twenty-Nine
Tea with the Dowager




She agreed to meet him in a tea emporium not far from the British Museum so Remus was familiar with the Apparition points. Nonetheless, he found himself uncharacteristically nervous as he gazed at his reflection in the shop window.

Perhaps he shouldn't have worn a coat and tie, he considered for the hundredth time. Something more casual and friendly would've been a better choice. But as Tonks had reminded him, it was too late in the season for a jumper, and jeans with an open-collar shirt were much too casual for such a bastion of doilies and elderly ladies.

Well, it certainly suited her, he noted silently as he caught sight of the Dowager waiting primly in the far corner. In regal repose, the phrase came unbidden to him, reminding him of why he'd bestowed that private nickname in the first place. Amid the chaos of life, she was as unruffled and in control as ever; just as she'd been when she kept the unbending rules in the werewolf relocation compound from running roughshod over her and countless others. It was not so surprising to find her clothing starched and fastidious, but he'd often wondered how she'd managed to do likewise when slumming among that pack of castoffs and misfits.

In the dainty mirror above the obligatory umbrella stand, Remus straightened his tie one last time. He resisted the urge to run his fingers self-consciously through the grey which liberally peppered his once sandy hair. Allowing a deep breath to fill him with confidence, he concluded that his dignified presence was better suited to that of a prospective employer.

Without waiting for the hostess to scurry over with a menu, he strode across the deep patterned carpet to her table. She looked up immediately as he issued softly, "Why, Bridget Brandeis, you haven't changed one bit!"

Remus caught the amused twinkle in her soft blue eyes as she rejoined, "So goes the secret password to this establishment. That's a fair representation of Whitehall attire, are you incognito as a civil servant today?"

He laughed outright as he settled himself into the facing chair. Casting a Muffliato charm out of long habit, he proposed, "Call me Remus. Would you have preferred I wear my sartorial robes to complete the look of an academic?"

As the waitress arrived tableside, Remus considered the empty tea cup at Bridget's elbow, but decided it didn't really suit his mood for once. "Sherry, please," he instructed the comely lass who was easily the youngest person in the room. With a lift to his eyebrow, he caught Bridget's small nod in response. "Make that two. And some of those cucumber and watercress sandwiches, please."

Alone once more, the Dowager took up the line of inquiry. "Linguistics, Sera said. Not the sort of thing most wizards pursue."

He shrugged easily. "I've also taught Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts. Languages were simply something I learned in my all too ample spare time. I never expected it to bear fruit."

"So you don't come with an Oxford or Cambridge degree?" the Dowager posed with a daring tilt to her head.

"I dreamed of University in my youth; but without a Muggle education, that avenue was closed to me."

"Yet you managed to pass yourself off as something you weren't under other circumstances."

"Under very dangerous circumstances, I might add. Hardly a blueprint for life." Under his breath, he added, "But make no mistake, the werewolf part was genuine."

Now it was Bridget's turn to throw back her head and laugh. "Is it the sherry which makes your words so bold?"

With a broad smile, he affirmed, "Happiness -- and a place in the order of things that doesn't require me to hide my true self in the shadows."

Bridget's steely grey bun clung resolutely to the nap of her neck as she nodded. "Acceptance. The most elusive muse of all."

"What about you?" he urged. "I'm uncomfortable being the center of attention."

"Even after that glowing testimonial in the War Museum? Was the Minister coerced into giving you an undeserved medal?"

Remus chuckled at the irony of her comment. "An amusing story that I would not like to make common knowledge. Save it for another day. But I wouldn't say it was undeserved, just unexpected." He didn't have to elaborate; he could tell by her eyes that she understood only too well the prejudice heaped upon werewolves on a daily basis. It had to contrast bitterly with the way she'd been treated in the former portion of her life.

"I always suspected there was more to you underneath that perfectly placid surface," she volunteered as a tray of dainty prawn canapes was placed before them.

Recalling her vivid ability to weave entrancing tales, he responded, "I'm surprised you didn't concoct a complete dossier behind my back."

She laughed sharply. "Oh, I did. It was something to keep Sera from fretting after your disappearance. I assured her the photo being circulated of your broken body lying in a ditch could so easily have been doctored. "

"Is that what you thought? That I'd been snatched away against my will?"

She smiled enigmatically. "Not really. I was more of the mind that you'd escaped, but it was dangerous to voice such thoughts aloud. Sera would've been incensed enough at being left behind to draw everyone's attention. And I do mean everyone."

He caught the gist immediately, silently recalling that among the werewolf mug shots Harry had procured for Viktor's use was included one of Nicholas Salton, Sera's contentious cousin and self-anointed camp chieftain. A red stamp across the lower border certified the date he'd been sentenced to Azkaban, but no other details. Remus hadn't cared to follow-up on the two minor thugs who had accompanied Nick everywhere short of the gent's lavatory.

"I understand you left soon after," he put forth in an attempt to steer the conversation elsewhere.

"My nephew, Cory, was instrumental in that. He was incensed that the Minister's Undersecretary had turned a deaf ear to all his pleas. After all, I was retired and drawing a pension. No one should require me to return to the workforce just to avoid relocation, he argued."

"Let me guess: Dolores Umbridge still held the post at that time."

Bridget nodded grimly. "And the Minister himself was much too embroiled in the immediate Death Eater threat to be bothered with anything else. Although I think Cory was prepared to storm the man's county estate if that's what it took."

"He would've been cut down by the guards," Remus attested.

"Obviously, he'd need drug the water supply first," Bridget rejoined with her renowned flair for storytelling.

"How did he manage it in the end?"

"He played their game. Showed up with an employment contract setting forth terms, salary, and living arrangements for a live-in nanny, a post which he offered to me."

"Very clever. Did he actually have to pay you?"

"Oh, yes. The cheque had to be sent directly to the Ministry's overseer, Umbridge's assistant, who then deposited it directly into my Gringott's account." Softly, the Dowager confided, "It was a sham, of course. My niece signs on my account so she could reimburse her husband."

"Didn't they suspect?" Remus chuckled.

"They would've been ruddy fools not to," Bridget agreed with a self-satisfied smirk. "Even if Lorinda did use her maiden name. But what could they do? We'd jumped through all their sodding hoops. They didn't exactly have the extra personnel for a full-blown investigation, not in that climate -- and they knew that we knew it as well."

Remus laughed outright at her deviousness. "Apparently, I'm not the only blackguard in the room."

"I just don't have a medal to prove it." The Dowager grinned in return. "I'd love to hear your end of the story sometime. Something tells me the overview in the Museum just scratched the surface once again."

"Perhaps if I ever feel comfortable revealing such secrets," Remus maintained. "Is that a tacit condition for you to forgive my lies?"

"Lies told in the line of duty can hardly be held against you. Even if it was a mission undertaken voluntarily."

"And at no pay," Remus added dryly.

The Dowager's eyebrows shot up. "Really? No recompense of any sort?"

Remus found himself blushing under her relentless scrutiny. "It would be fair to say that my controller offered me the use of his vacation house for a leisurely honeymoon."

"So the love-sick puppy routine was genuine," Bridget harrumphed. "I didn't think you were that good an actor."

Double-checking that the privacy charm still held, he offered, "Would you like to meet my family, Bridget?" Withdrawing a small square from his breast pocket, he stealthily enlarged it to photograph size before sliding it across the table to her. "Personal details were purposely omitted from the Museum display for reasons of safety as well as privacy."

The Dowager's eyes widened at the measure of trust he'd bestowed upon her. The snapshot showed a formal wedding scene, Remus and the groom in white tie with their Order of Merlin medallions clipped elegantly at the collar. At Remus' side, a boy with turquoise hair grinned rakishly into the camera as he clutched a satin pillow to his side. To the other side, a thirtyish woman with dark wavy locks leaned upon Remus' shoulder as she laid a gloved hand on the bride's shoulder. Sitting at their feet was a little girl with long blonde hair holding a glowing basket in her lap.

Bridget looked up into Remus' smiling eyes. "The press would give a fortune for a single look at this," she whispered.

"Luckily, Rita Skeeter was deported some time ago..." Making an exaggerated show of searching the rafters and then swatting an imaginary midge from before his nose, he added, "...and she didn't leave any worthy successors. Thank Merlin for that!"

"So the rumor's true," Bridget hissed as she leaned forward conspiratorially.

"A beetle, smaller than the button on your jacket," Remus confirmed under his breath. "But you didn't hear it from me."

"So tell me, Remus: did Harry Potter invite all his comrades at arms to his very private wedding?"

Remus shrugged playfully. "He's godfather to both my children. As for the guest list, my wife was in charge of the invitations; you'll have to ask her."

Clearly in awe, Bridget posed, "So these two are yours?"

Remus laughed light-heartedly. "You could say they're all mine, just as I'm theirs. A rather unconventional family cobbled together at will, but a family nonetheless. The boy, Teddy, is our first born. Phoebe followed two years later; she turned four just last month."

"Obviously, she got her straw-colored hair from you."

"Not entirely. Blonde hair runs erratically through my wife's family. As for Teddy, he inherited his Metamorphmagus abilities from his mother. Some would say that his dogged persistence comes from me."

They spent a companionable half hour catching each other up on the major events in the past seven years like the old friends that they were. Supplementing the brief outline Sera had provided, Bridget recounted how much she'd enjoyed teaching her grand-nephew the rudiments of reading, mathematics, and any other pursuits that caught his fancy. Her niece was convinced that the local primary didn't properly challenge young minds and only capitulated when their posting to Sri Lanka provided Tin the opportunity to attend an exclusive Swiss institution which catered specifically to diplomatic offspring. Although he'd be away from home for the first time, Tin was delighted with the comprehensive sports program that included mountain climbing and skiing. Not that he'd been immune to homesickness, the Dowager was quick to assure Remus. That first year had seen Tin religiously return to Waterloo Station on the bullet train the one weekend a month they were allotted for home visits. But as he made friends and began to see his dormitory as a second home, he came to prefer the organized alpine activities available at the weekend. These days, it was rare to see him except for the major holidays and term breaks when the school closed its doors.

"There's only so much redecorating, painting and planting an old lady can do," she complained. "It's only a tiny cottage with a postage stamp garden."

"No hobbies?" Remus inquired politely.

"No artistic talent," she confirmed. "And not much taste for the local amateur gossip's society." With a mischievous glint, she added, "Although I suspect some of those busybodies could compete in the professional division!"

Remus chuckled heartily at her succinct encapsulation of village life. Heartened by the easy camaraderie between them, he launched into his proposition. "I was hoping to offer you a post tutoring my children. It's only during the week and you'd have weekends as well as one afternoon a week to yourself. You can even choose which afternoon and vary it at will. We're very flexible." He caught himself before he ran out of breath. Scribbling quickly on a paper doily, he slid it across the table. "I'm prepared to offer you monthly salary as indicated."

Unfazed, she returned, "Is this a live-in post or am I allowed to return home in the evenings?"

"Whichever you prefer. Although you'd be welcome to spend your evenings however you wish in our home; join in with the family. It can get quite lively at times."

She eyed him shrewdly enough to make him glad he'd not loosened his tie as he settled into his second glass of sherry. "What sort of living arrangements do you offer?"

With a deep breath, Remus enumerated all the options: she was welcome to one of the guest rooms in the far wing or she could claim his living quarters at Hogwarts that had been vacant since the completion of renovations at Godric's Hollow. The Headmistress had already agreed that daily lessons could be conducted within those rooms as well. Hogwarts would not supply her meals, of course, but she could avail herself of the various pubs in the nearby village of Hogsmeade. If she chose to stay with them at Marauder House, then obviously their house-elf would pack her a lunch along with those of the children.

"You seem to have done quite well for yourself. A fringe benefit of marriage?"

He chortled at her blatant insinuation that a wastrel like him must have married into respectability. "I'm afraid my wife is a teacher just like me. I inherited half of the Potter estate from Harry's parents."

"So that explains the extended family." After a moment's hesitation, she proffered in a bare whisper, "I don't suppose I have to ask about the full moon."

"There's a root cellar that's nothing but packed earth if you're a purist, but I can supply you with Wolfsbane as an added benefit. Have you taken it in the past?"

With a discreet nod, she confessed, "When I can get it. That's one of the reasons why Sri Lanka was not an option for me. Too dear to obtain, if at all -- and I didn't want to burden Cory with the added expense."

Remus smiled benignly. "That will no longer be a problem. My wife's an expert brewer, learned at the hand of the Hogwarts Potions Master himself."

"Would that be Severus Snape?" the Dowager prodded with a knowing arch to her brow.

"None other."

"Wasn't he also responsible for killing the previous Headmaster?"

Remus' heart sank. So this was going to be the deal breaker. "There were extenuating circumstances."

"Must have been if the man isn't rotting in Azkaban. If I'm not mistaken, his case was dismissed before it came to trial."

Remus sighed in frustration as he considered his options. What bit of the internal machinations could he share with her without violating Severus' hard-won confidence?

It had been a delicate thing, he clearly recalled. Catastrophe and imprisonment balancing on the blade of a finely-honed knife. For a man whose life had been filled with ironic contradictions, it was somehow fitting.

Despite Kingsley Shacklebolt's most eloquent arguments that the killing of Dumbledore deserved to be categorized as an act of war, the overriding fact remained that the mighty wizard had been unarmed at the time. So the grand inquisitorial circle of the Wizengamot, the Federation of Mugwumps, convened to determine what charges should be laid at the feet of one Severus Snape, former Hogwarts Potions Master, former Death Eater, former double-agent for the Order of the Phoenix.

It was much to the Mugwumps' surprise that they were faced with first person testimonials by virtually every member of the organization which Snape had purportedly betrayed.

As Head Auror, the sole concession Kingsley had been able to wrangle was that of a closed session with complete exclusion of the media. It had been his intent that they convene with minimal fanfare until such a time as a carefully worded memo was prepared for public scrutiny. He had argued that it was the very least they could offer a man whose life was about to be placed under the proverbial microscope.

It was unclear how word of the time and date had leaked, but the Mugwumps had been forced to march through a phalanx of vociferous journalists protesting closed-door deliberations. Having had the presence of mind to arrive two hours early, the members of the recently disbanded Order of the Phoenix had been ushered in through the back corridors to avoid that their very presence fuel wild speculations.

Tiers of long curving benches for spectators remained empty as they were directed to a double row of plain armchairs that had been hastily lined up on the floor of the formal audience chamber deep within the lower levels of the Ministry. Remus took a seat next to Kingsley as Arthur Weasley settled to his other side. Minerva had consented to take over his Transfiguration lessons for the day while Tonks insisted on remaining behind to personally helm the Dark Arts classes despite offers of assistance from both Ginny and Luna.

Remus secretly suspected she didn't want everyone's attention to be diverted by her pregnancy to the exclusion of more serious matters. Apparition and the Floo Network were not always recommended for expectant mothers as nausea and dizziness often plagued even the most seasoned travelers.

Harry, Ron and Hermione had claimed the seats immediately in front of Remus and were surveying their surroundings with varying degrees of awe and apprehension. He was amused at how easily they fell into their traditional roles from school even though Ron and Hermione had recently announced their engagement.

"Sour memories from your own hearing?" Ron remarked to Harry's fidgeting.

"Some. The room was further down the hall, though," Harry confided. "It was even more over-sized, if you can imagine."

"The better to intimidate," Hermione nodded sagely.

"It certainly worked; I was practically beside myself when Arthur told me he'd have to remain in the corridor outside," Harry elaborated with a grimace. "If Dumbledore hadn't shown up..."

Their conversation was interrupted as everyone was urged to their feet. In the far corner, a door materialized within the ornate wall paneling and the Mugwumps filed to their elevated seats. Remus couldn't help noting that their peculiar felt caps made them look like rows of chess pieces lining up to engage their opponents across the expanse of black and white marble tiles.

"Why purple?" Harry muttered to no one in particular.

"Those at your hearing wore red and black?" Hermione surmised. "That was to signify their status as either elected or appointed members of the Wizengamot. The Mugwumps serve for life, unless they resign or are ousted for high crimes such as treason."

"Why the difference?" Ron urged.

Hermione sighed as if the answer was obvious. In an indulgent tone, she continued, "This is not a trial, but a deliberation. The Mugwumps are acting as a Grand Jury of sorts."

Remus watched Harry stop himself from asking where she'd learned this. After nearly a decade of friendship, it was not really necessary. Besides, there was always Ron to take up the slack.

"Where did you read that, dear? The Ministry of Magic: A History?" Ron quipped.

"Don't be silly, Ronald, dear," Hermione simpered playfully. "It was Mysteries of the Ministry Unveiled. Talk about a misnomer; the information about the Department of Mysteries was nothing but pure conjecture."

And here Remus had begun to think the author had employed a bit of gallows humor in reference to the Death Chamber. No need to borrow that book, then.

As head of the current government, Scrimgeour had jumped at the opportunity to preside over the proceedings. "Please be seated," he intoned grandly. "We are here, learned wizards and witches, to formulate our response to the reprehensible actions of Severus Snape, who on the night of 16 June 1997 did willfully kill one Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, he himself a member of this august assemblage..."

"Why is the Minister in black?" Harry hissed.

"He's not technically a Mugwump," Hermione whispered. "He wields no power expect in the rare case of a tie vote -- which has never happened."

"Politics as usual," Moody leaned over to growl lowly.

From his observation post, Snape himself had looked on impassively, staring at the far wall more often than not. Although the hands clasped tightly in his lap were not manacled, the bluish glow surrounding him indicated the presence of some sort of restraining spell. Only his compressed lips showed that he was listening intently to every word. In the few instances in which he looked directly at anyone, his eyes burned with a deep outrage that he adamantly refused to uncork.

Kingsley spoke first, re-establishing many of the facts that were already known. He stressed that his office did not feel this case fell within their jurisdiction as Snape had not been a dark wizard. Spying on the enemy necessitated that he give the appearance of being one of them, nothing more. Without Snape's ability to mask his true allegiance, it was unlikely the man would be alive before them today. For those reasons, the Auror Department was declining to press charges.

"This tribunal is convened only for the most capital offenses," Hermione whispered. "Snape is being accorded a great honor."

"Forget it, Hermione," Ron dismissed under his breath. "Snape's not one to rightly care if they convict him with honor or dishonor. The view from Azkaban is the same either way."

"Save the abstractions for Remus," Harry returned, unconcerned that he might be overheard.

"What are you three whispering about?" From Ron's right, Moody's magical eye swiveled at an alarming rate as it took the measure of each of them in turn.

Hermione gulped as she offered in a small voice, "Just explaining the legal procedures is all."

"Lesson time's over," Amos Diggory interjected. "Kingsley's opening remarks are almost at an end."

The character witnesses had come next, many of them voicing arguments that Remus himself had presented before them when he'd argued Snape's innocence. In the end, Remus had been left with very little to add but a few words of support. But by the very ripples he'd caused among the assembly, it was clear that many still recalled the schoolboy enmity that had once existed between Snape and himself.

Hermione had turned more than a few heads with her presentation of the nature of Snape's Patronus and how its change in the wake of Dumbledore's death indicated the inner ambivalence Snape felt about his actions.

Harry's testimony had been left for last as it would likely lead to cross-examination by the Mugwumps themselves. In deference to his long legal career, Elphias Doge had been allowed to act as advocate for the defense, expertly pacing the chessboard tiles before the arbiters of the tribunal. Due to the less structured nature of a closed hearing, those testifying were not forced into a solitary chair in the middle of the floor, but rather allowed to simply rise to their feet. The special amplification spells which permeated the chamber guaranteed that their voices would carry.

Heading off the objections that were sure to arise, Elphias deliberately put Harry's words into question. "Now, Mr. Potter, Harry, you are the only witness who came forth after the events on that fateful night atop the Astronomy Tower?"

"Yes, I was on hand to give a preliminary statement to Magical Law Enforcement. The acting Headmistress insisted that it was my duty to do so."

"Yet there were in fact other witnesses to the event. Witnesses besides the accused, Mr. Snape. Am I correct?"

"Yes. Draco Malfoy, for one. He'd been assigned to assassinate the Headmaster but he lost his nerve at the end."

"Lost his nerve how?"

"Dumbledore seemed to take Draco's measure and then convinced him that he was not a murderer. Went so far as to offer to hide him from his enemies if he chose to change sides."

"Would you categorize these as the ramblings of a sick, old man on the brink of death as others have suggested?"

"No, I would not. Dumbledore was not so much bargaining for his own life, but begging Draco not to take a path he would come to regret. His arguments were more selfless than what has been previously presented."

"And you know this how? Did you confer with Draco Malfoy about this perhaps?"

Harry stood up a little straighter as he solemnly responded, "My vision of what happened that night has never faded. In the intervening year and a half, I've sought to come to terms with what really happened. Unfortunately, Draco was killed by Voldemort for failing to complete his mission. I never saw him alive after that night."

"So you feel you've gained some perspective on those events?"

"Yes. What's more, I think we are short-sighted to categorize Dumbledore as being unarmed."

Amid the sharp mutterings that Harry's statement caused, Scrimgeour himself rose to his feet. "Surely, Mr. Potter, you're not changing your previous testimony that you were ambushed atop the tower and watched Dumbledore's wand fly from his hand?" The Minister's tone was ripe with condescension as he added, "You assured us that you'd been immobilized under your Invisibility Cloak and were unable to come to your Headmaster's aid."

Before Harry's eyes could flash with indignation, Elphias Doge deftly cut across, "I will thank everyone to recall that Mr. Potter's actions are not under suspicion. While there were a number of shadowy figures who ran away from the Astronomy Tower that night, Harry was the only one who returned to face the rest of the students and faculty. If that doesn't speak to his innocence, I don't know what does!" Turning a kindly smile on Harry, he urged, "Could you please elaborate for us?"

Harry swallowed noticeably before continuing, "As a mighty wizard, Dumbledore had other weapons besides his wand. He could offer the assistance of the Order which he led; his words alone could be very persuasive. It's likely that he could also influence others non-verbally."

"Non-verbal spells still require a wand!" a nameless voice protested.

"Dumbledore was a renowned Legilimens," Harry countered. "That's common knowledge. He could persuade others by casting images into their minds. Images of past events or possible outcomes." Granted, it had been Snape himself who had confirmed this, but Harry chose not to elaborate.

"Yet despite all these powers, Dumbledore was unable to change the outcome," Elphias surmised.

"Quite the contrary," Harry asserted to everyone's surprise. "I believe he was able to alter the events to prevent Draco from committing murder."

"This is irrelevant," a stately witch proclaimed from the second row. "He was unable to prevent his own death; that's the issue we are examining here."

Elphias acknowledged her with a polite nod before turning to Harry. "Why do you feel this is such an important distinction?"

"Dumbledore's actions to the end were altruistic. If he couldn't save himself, then he was determined to at least save another. He didn't want the soul of a quavering sixteen-year-old to be torn in two by murder!"

"So he valued young people," Scrimgeour scoffed. "Hardly surprising from the headmaster of a school. This does nothing to convince us of Mr. Snape's innocence or guilt. Why didn't Dumbledore try to influence Snape? Answer us that!"

Harry turned questioning eyes to Elphias who nodded slightly in encouragement. "He did," Harry provided. "But as Auror Shacklebolt established at the start of these proceedings, Dumbledore had exacted a promise from Professor Snape to kill him rather than allow him to fall into the hands of the enemy. The visions that he thrust into the foremost of Snape's mind were to convince him that the time had come. Snape's fundamental disagreement is evidenced by the change in his Patronus. An unrepentant man would have taken it all in stride; Severus Snape did not."

"It was a fool's errand,"a stout witch proclaimed darkly. "Dmbledore neither prevented his own death nor that of Malfoy in the end."

"You cannot hold Dumbledore accountable for the actions of others, Ms. Tournay," Elphias defended. "If Albus had been able to single-handedly keep Voldemort himself from committing monstrous deeds, he would have done so."

Harry nodded emphatically. "Dumbledore showed me a memory from Voldemort's youth -- he was known as Tom Riddle then. Demonstrated how even as a lad, he'd resisted all efforts to guide him in a more productive direction."

"Albus' nobility is not in question here," a wizened wizard who leaned on a long staff put forth. "Were there no other witnesses that night?"

"Yes," Harry conceded. "Other Death Eaters were present, including Fenrir Greyback."

"The werewolf?"

"Yes, Elyssium," her neighbor attested, holding forth a parchment sheet. "See the testimony right here. It was obtained as part of their questioning before being sent to Azkaban, the lot of them."

Taking up the thread, Scrimgeour posed, "Statements that all bear witness to Snape cutting down Dumbledore with a snarl. Why you yourself indicated that hatred had burned in the man's eyes as he raised his wand. Are you taking back those words in retrospect, Mr. Potter?"

"No, Minister, I am not," Harry returned evenly, demonstrating the wisdom of having rehearsed his testimony under the harshest questioning his colleagues could provide. "But to be able to perform a Killing Curse, hatred is a necessary factor. Snape could just as easily been expressing his feelings for the Death Eaters at his back; he would have been a fool to present such to their faces if he wanted to remain alive. Remember that he was unaware of my presence under the Invisibility Cloak."

"Are we to ignore that Snape employed an Unforgivable Curse, then?" Ms. Tourney proclaimed to much muttered support. "That's enough to establish guilt right there."

"Not if there are extenuating circum -- " Elphias began.

"This is not an act of war as Mr. Shacklebolt would have us believe," Scrimgeour barked. "Dumbledore and Snape were supposed to represent the same side."

"But did they?" Elphias interjected in a bare whisper.

"Then throw him in Azkaban with all the other Death Eaters!" came a cry from the back of the room.

"You cannot have it both ways," the Minister remarked smugly as he eyed the Order members in turn.

"In that moment, Snape's role was to present himself as Dumbledore's enemy," Harry argued.

"That does not absolve him of employing an Unforgivable Curse," the rotund Ms. Tournay intoned. "Even an Auror has to defend his use of such measures when apprehending dark wizards."

"Why did Snape not simply Stupefy Dumbledore?" Elphias presented rhetorically. "Mr. Snape, are you willing to speak in your defense? Or is that out of order in these closed-door proceedings?"

At Scrimgeour's curt, "I'll allow it," Snape rose slowly to his feet.

The room fell to absolute silence as Snape coolly drawled, "That was the very situation that Dumbledore feared above all else: being taken alive by dark forces and then tortured for information. He felt that his advanced age would have put him at a distinct disadvantage. Rather than risk all the Order's secret plans -- many of which I was unaware at the time -- from falling into the hands of the enemy, Dumbledore trusted that I would kill him. By my very hand, if necessary. Anything to keep the enemy from undermining our chances for victory. He was prepared to die for that victory."

"Others have testified that you argued with Dumbledore about this."

"Yes, it was not a role that I relished. I would rather have sacrificed my life for the good of all than have it come to this. Dumbledore was more important to the cause than I was."

"But you killed him anyway?" the wizened wizard peered quizzically into Snape's saturnine features.

"A promise is a promise. And as the old man conveniently reminded me, I had other duties to the cause that had yet to be discharged at the time." Despite his pallid outward appearance, Snape clearly resented the choices he'd made in life and was resigned to suffer the consequences.

"What sort of duties, Mr. Snape?" Elphias coaxed gently.

"I was to destroy an object that had been entrusted to me by the Dark Lord. Only it was no longer where I had hidden it."

"So you were in the midst of searching for it?" Elphias prompted.

"No," Snape returned to everyone's consternation. "Dumbledore forbade that lest I give myself away. As long as the item remained lost, it could not fall into the Dark Lord's hands, either."

"A waiting game then?" Scrimgeour cried indignantly. "A madman's errand, you'd have us believe!"

Snape shrugged impassively without meeting the Minister's eyes. "Dumbledore was convinced that the object would resurface in due time, or so he told me. What he failed to tell me was that he had delivered it in a very underhanded manner to Mr. Potter here. Since Potter had no idea of the object's true significance, Dumbledore saw it as the cleverest ruse of all."

"And as Mr. Lupin eloquently outlined for us, you found a way to return to Hogwarts to assist Mr. Potter," Elphias summarized.

"To complete my assignment, yes," Snape clarified. "Given the opportunity, I might've argued with Dumbledore about the indignity of being saddled with such an unproven accomplice; but it does no good to argue with a dead man."

"There are those who would say there was no point in arguing with Dumbledore when he was alive!" Moody grumbled from the sidelines.

In the echoing silence, Snape concurred, "As Auror Moody so aptly put it: I was trapped."

"Still doesn't give you the right to toss Unforgivables left and right," a tiny powerhouse of a witch hissed from Scrimgeour's right.

"So very true, Amaranth," the Minister acknowledged her contribution. "Care to elaborate on that, Mr. Snape?"

"It's not possible to undo the past," Snape returned with an icy glare directed at the wall.

"If I may?" Harry cleared his throat hesitantly.

Elphias flashed him a warning look as the Minister nodded absently.

"What we're overlooking is that Professor Snape acted out of mercy," Harry volunteered. "Regardless of the letter of the law. Just compare his actions to mine when I finished Voldemort."

"That was clearly as act of war," the wizened wizard flashed a gummy smile at Harry. "Self-defense, even."

Harry gave a small smile in thanks before elaborating, "Yet I never used an Unforgivable Curse." He waited for the inevitable nods of approval before delivering his coup de grace, "No, instead I employed the Sectumsempra Curse, a spell that cracks the victim's chest open before his very eyes as the life force bleeds slowly away."

"You were justified, son," Elphias pronounced sympathetically.

"Perhaps," Harry allowed gravely, "but that's not really the point. Even with such harsh measures, Voldemort was able the seal the wounds somewhat -- although I can assure you his demonic eyes were shrouded with pain."

"So how did you dispatch him in the end?" a whip-thin witch demanded.

With a deep breath, Harry conceded, "The old-fashioned way: I stabbed him through the heart with a sharp object."

Scrimgeour's strident tone rose above the gasps, "Is it your intent to have us rethink your actions, lad?"

Harry did not allow the Minister's guerilla tactics to unnerve him. "No, sir. My point is this: if you can absolve whatever means necessary to stop a madman intent on taking over the world, why is it so abhorrent to think that Snape used the Avada Kedavra on Dumbledore? Seems to me that an instant death is the most merciful of all."

It had been a risky move; Elphias' slack jaw was proof enough of that. But Harry stood his ground, heartened by the hands of support that Remus and Kingsley placed on each of his shoulders as they rose to their feet behind him.

Recovering quickly, Elphias proclaimed, "Then it seems that the only charge that can reasonably apply is that of a conspiracy between Dumbledore and Snape."

"Don't be ridiculous, my good man," Scrimgeour protested. "You can't condemn one co-conspirator without the testimony of the other."

To which Moody stumbled to his feet. "Should we petition Minerva McGonagall to present herself before the assemblage? Perhaps she can bring Dumbledore's portrait to bear."

Even Snape's lip had twitched at that remark, but most everyone's eyes were focused on the Minister's reaction. Quickly composing his features, he issued a stymied grunt as he called for the official balloting to begin.

Into a large crystal bowl that appeared on the lectern, little winged marbles in purple and silver neatly deposited themselves. In some cases, a single wing detached and fluttered to lie before the Minister. Scrimgeour's features twisted in frustration as he peered at the comments before him.

Remus held his breath. There was no telling which direction these august witches and wizards would take. Like the Wizengamot, the Mugwumps were hardly renowned for their logical approach -- not by a long shot.

The constant writhing of the balls made it impossible to tell if the silver ones which signified dismissal outnumbered the purples ones to indict. The exact count would be visible to the Minister's eyes, though; Remus remembered studying the unique properties of adjudicatory crystal from which the bowl was fashioned.

"By Merlin's scraggly beard!" the Minister harrumphed. "There are more sides to this case than a seven-tier trunk. The only consensus of guilt seems to come from that mangy bank of Death Eaters who maintain that Snape was one of them. But as Augusta pointed out--" For the first time, Remus caught sight of Neville's grandmother in the very back row. No wonder Neville had begged off with some vague excuse about being superfluous. " -- they are equally adamant that the Malfoy lad was in charge of the mission and Snape only stepped in when Draco faltered. And there's just as much evidence, if not more, to suggest that they had simply been taken in by a masterful performance. Why else would the Order of the Phoenix, almost to a man, stand up in defense of Severus Snape if he was not their comrade?

"Not to mention Mr. Potter's perfectly viable assertions that Snape's actions were nothing more than an attempt to circumvent disaster for Draco Malfoy. An attempt no less heroic for its ultimate futility." He stared at the marbles which had finally quieted to show only three purple ones among a sea of silver. "Clearly this is a case that would stump even the most adept Legilimens." He held up a hand to forestall the angry murmurs behind him. "And yes, before anyone takes to their feet to denounce me, I am fully aware that Leglimency is prohibited in a court of law. As for Veritaserum, it's only marginally effective when administered to a trained Occulmens like Snape -- and a garbled confession is less than useless."

With his innate talent for grandstanding, Scrimgeour scanned the faces in the crowd one by one over the frames of his reading glasses. "So you see my dilemma," he pontificated. "Do I have doubts? Of course. How can anyone truly measure the contents of another's soul? But whose testimony are we to trust: that of a group of freedom fighters who have been decorated by the current administration? Or that of a lawless band of hate-mongers who would likely say just about anything to save their own skins?

"Let the official decision of this inquest be that we have declined to press charges against Mr. Snape. May the deities that judge us at life's end find the true answers where we have failed." The smallest rap of Scrimgeour's gavel resounded in the cavernous chamber. "This tribunal is adjourned."

By the flare of his nostrils as he left the room, it was evident that clemency did not sit well with Scrimgeour -- although he was too accomplished a politician to ever admit it.

Remus had never been prouder of Harry than at that moment, but the somber surroundings did not invite congratulations of any sort. He'd looked up to offer a salute only to find that Snape had already been spirited away to prepare the final paperwork.

"That faraway look tells me there's more to this story as well," Bridget pronounced with an indulgent smile.

"The official determination that Snape colluded with Dumbledore himself was dropped when it was pointed out that it was patently unfair to condemn one conspirator without the other," Remus paraphrased what had been printed in the Prophet. "What was never reported, of course, was how many of us felt that Severus' actions in the very maw of the enemy required a sang-froid that went beyond ordinary bravery."

"Did any of you think to petition the administration to award him some sort of medal?"

Remus chuckled at the notion. "And risk Severus hexing us in the bargain? No, he wanted nothing more than to fade into obscurity so he could start his own pharmaceutical business."

"Didn't you just say he taught Potions at Hogwarts?"

"He only resumed the post recently," Remus explained. "Once he felt that his business was sufficiently grounded that he could begin to propagate many rare ingredients in his own greenhouses."

"So he stands to revolutionize the production of Wolfsbane, you're saying?"

"Among other things. Please don't think me intentionally vague, but Severus closely guards such proprietary secrets."

"As a savvy businessman should," the Dowager concurred. "But you said your wife was adept a brewing the potion herself."

"Snape taught her personally and often supplies rare ingredients from alternative markets."

"Sounds like you have it all figured out."

"Except how to deal with my children's immediate educational needs," he reminded her.

"So you're in need of a governess."

"Except for the sexist Victorian connotations of that word. We prefer the generic term: tutor."

"You won't be expecting Mary Poppins then?" she shot back with a twinkle to her eye.

"I won't deny that I was entranced by those tales as a young lad, even though magic was a staple in my home."

"What about the Muggles at its core?"

Remus considered briefly. "The Banks family. Magic as a metaphor for the lack of parental love and interaction."

Bridget's eyebrows threatened to retreat into her hairline. "What sort of a child were you?"

"One who spent too much time in bed recuperating from a cycle that threatened to tear my limbs apart every month," he responded more candidly than he'd intended. "My mother read the tales to me when I was only five or six."

"So this was your mother's analysis that she passed on to you."

"No, it was my own conclusion. But it was only years later when I revisited the tales that the subtext became clear. A friend of mine wanted a unique angle for a Muggle Studies essay."

"So you gave him your thoughts. Isn't that remarkably close to cheating?"

"I gave him the idea. He had to come to his own conclusions and then set them down on paper." Remus clearly recalled how Sirius had claimed that such dis-parenting skills were not limited to Muggles; and, consequently, found the personal angle that made his words resound.

Bridget tilted her head in thought. "So you approached it the way a Muggle would, interesting. Did you ever stop to think how wizards would interpret those stories?"

"Another example to justify the Statute of Secrecy. Proving once again that Muggles possess an innate covetousness for anything magical."

"Stock response," she dared him. "I would've expected more originality."

"I don't share your ability to improvise on the spot," Remus confessed. "Would I be wrong to assume you were holding the proverbial trump card?"

She nodded ever so briefly before leaning over the table to whisper. "That Poppins witch was a renegade. One step ahead of the Improper Use of Magic Office the whole way. Why do you think she had to keep leaving that poor family after a short visit only to return when her trail had gone cold?"

Remus couldn't resist a deep belly laugh at her outrageousness. Not that the explanation didn't make sense; only that it was so perfectly obvious when you looked at it through a skewed lens.

"You really should meet Harry's wife, Ginny. She and her mother like to dissect detective novels in the same manner. Ginny's thoughts on Hercule Poirot are the stuff of legend at Hogwarts. Not to mention how my children would be entranced by your winning ways with a story."

"But you know so little else about me," Bridget protested. "Don't you want to see my C.V.?"

"Only if one considers your career as a Healer a necessary job qualification," Remus contended.

"Should it be? Are your children accident-prone?"

"No more than normal." Neither child had inherited their mother's clumsiness at stealth, Remus chuckled to himself. "Teddy has the uncanny ability to sneak up on you, hence I nicknamed him 'Spook'. Turn your back and Phoebe has soundlessly disappeared."

"Did you give her a nickname also?"

"Rabbit."

"Because rabbits are mute animals?" Bridget urged with an amused smile.

"Because she carries a stuffed rabbit toy with her just about everywhere."

"How charming, Remus. But didn't you say they spoke French as well as English? I would be less than useless with that. I only know a few bits of German, I'm afraid."

"Why that's ideal!" Remus cried.

"I don't know enough to tutor them in German. It's been too many years."

"Don't worry about the French. We have someone else who takes them one afternoon a week for that. In turn, she may want her daughter to join in with Teddy's lessons; she's only a number of months older. Your salary will be adjusted accordingly."

"Another family member?" the Dowager surmised.

"Ginny's sister-in-law. The children consider each other cousins and that suits everyone just fine." He waved down a waitress to order more sherry as well as some curried shrimp pasties that had called to him from the menu. Returning his attention to his guest, Remus offered, "Tell me how you came to learn German at such a young age. I won't put you on the spot as I'm rather rusty myself."

He could see the curiosity playing across her features, but good manners won out as she tactfully inquired, "How many foreign languages are currently being offered at your school?"

"French, Spanish and Italian."

"And you speak all of these yourself?"

"I've had amply opportunity to practice with the instructors themselves. But as department head, I'm charged with recruiting native speakers to serve as instructors. It's how I supplement my income during the summer term break. This year I'm slated to go to Germany. It would be ideal to have someone else on board who could deal with household issues should any arise."

It took her a few moments to catch on. "Your family travels with you then?"

"I wouldn't want to be separated from them for a month's time and the school always arranges for spacious accommodations. Minerva has already booked a small villa along the Rhine."

"How small?"

"Usually three or four bedrooms," Remus supplied. "The Headmistress will come for a bit of holiday as she prefers to make the final selection herself. Other family members arrive at the weekend."

"Tell me your poor wife isn't stuck cooking and cleaning."

Remus laughed at the absurdity of the notion. "We'd be like the Borgias if Tonks cooked. Our salaried house-elf adores showing off his considerable skills."

"But doesn't that leave..."

"Harry and Ginny. They come most weekends. But what newlyweds won't relish a few days alone? Ginny knows her way around the kitchen; but when Dobby's about, he rarely permits what he considers to be a dereliction of his sacred duty." With a friendly grin, he prodded, "You never did tell me how you came to speak German."

"My sister and I grew up outside Munich. My mother had family nearby so Father jumped at an assignment. Later, he was transferred back to Britain and I finished my schooling at Hogwarts."

"Really? Did you attend a German school before that?"

Her response floored him. "Durmstrang."

"I thought that was a boys' school -- at least until recently," he stammered.

"Many years ago, there was a sister school for girls as well; both were considered to be part of Durmstrang. My sister graduated there and even started her career in the Harz Mountains. Being almost a decade younger, I only completed two years at Durmstrang before the girls' wing was phased out. My father arranged to return to Britain not long after."

"Did your sister return with you as well?"

"Why would she? She'd already established her career and even met a young man there. By the time her only daughter, Lorinda, was born, I was able to assist with the delivery myself"

Remus took a few quiet sips as his mind processed the new information. Teddy would be positively thrilled to have a first-hand account of Durmstrang, but Remus wouldn't rob the Dowager of discovering that on her own. Instead it was his moment to turn the tables on her. "The fabled Healer woman you once told me about -- Ferrucula, wasn't it? -- am I wrong to think she was a Rom?"

"Likely so. She certainly dressed like the quintessential gypsy, but I was in such awe of her medical prowess that I never really thought to ask. Does that seem naive in retrospect?"

Remus smiled warmly. "It just demonstrates your innate generosity of spirit."

"The girl with the werewolf baby really was from Wolverton," Bridget insisted. "She'd traveled all that way to consult with Ferrucula. Ironic how I would find myself so near years later."

"Life is full of such coincidences. Good things coming from the bad and vice versa." With as much sincerity as he could muster, Remus implored, "I really would like you to teach my children, Bridget. I don't need a long list of accreditations to convince me."

"Admittedly, I had a great deal of fun starting my great-nephew to read and write."

' "Tin? That's what Sera called him."

"Short for Constantine."

"A family name?" Remus inquired politely.

Bridget chuckled, "Hardly. My niece was convinced he'd been conceived during a weekend getaway in Istanbul."

"Constantinople," Remus supplied the centuries old name by which the city was also known.

"Exactly. There was no dismissing her romantic notions, so Constantine it was."

"And if it had been a girl?" Remus teased.

"Tinny, I suppose," Bridget laughed in response. "I'm just glad Cory's meeting hadn't been scheduled in Moscow!" After a dainty bite of sandwich, she caught him unawares with, "Say I decided to use one of the bedrooms in your house. You said they were located just off the billiard room?"

"It's a bright, airy room with a window seat that the children have claimed as their unofficial playroom. The billiard table can be relocated if you prefer."

She waved her hand dismissively. "How many rooms lead off the playroom?"

"Two guest rooms," Remus supplied after a moment's consideration. "There's a third door that's kept locked as it opens near the fireplace in Harry's and Ginny's room."

"The newlyweds?"

"You see why it would remain locked," Remus countered playfully.

"What if they have children of their own?"

"Neither of them seems to be in a hurry, but I can't speak on their behalf. Should that come to pass in the future, however, they'll probably use one of those surplus rooms for the baby. That still leaves an extra guest room."

She mulled this over briefly. "And you said I could decorate as I wished?"

"Unless you preferred to not be bothered."

"What if I decided to go with a totally unconventional theme? Say draping bright cloths along the walls so that it looked like a sultan's seraglio?"

Unable to tell whether she was joking or not, Remus responded with a casual shrug, "If that's your secret fantasy. But I assure you that Scheherazade's bed chamber is the ideal spot for storytelling, the children will tell you. Within moments, Teddy will have turned his hair black as night and transformed his clothing with either a short vest, curled slippers, or maybe a scarf wound about his waist to hold his dagger. He'd get one element for certain, but he's still growing into his morphing abilities."

"What about Phoebe?"

"She'd return in fifteen minutes with a whole series of scarves draped about her bathing costume. In two days time, Dobby will have sewn her a flowing harem outfit, complete with encrusted jewels."

"Your house-elf sews, too?"

"Only costumes for the children. It's his way of indulging them."

Bridget threw back her head and laughed uproariously. "I don't know whether you're putting me on or not!"

"Why not come for yourself and find out?" Remus proposed. "It won't be dull; that I can guarantee you."

"Will I get to meet the children first? Including the French girl?"

"Absolutely!"

"All right, Remus. I'll test the waters."
Thirty: The Last Full Moon by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Thirty
The Last Full Moon


A battalion of spiders crawled along his scalp, or so the sensation seemed to Remus. He suppressed an involuntary shudder as he took a deep swallow of the cognac he’d poured to calm his nerves. Not that it was really helping, he noted grimly; it was all he could do to still the tremor building up in his limbs.

Shading his eyes, he stared morosely at the vivid ochre and pomegranate shades of the sunset spread out before him. The sun was a ripe strawberry iced with strands of lilac clouds as it worked its way ever nearer the ebony tree line. He could feel the moon’s presence at his back even though it had yet to crest the other horizon. Gritting his teeth, he resolutely refused to acknowledge it “ not this time anyway. He would have to succumb the next cycle, though, even if it meant missing the end of the year banquet. Minerva would understand; she always did.

A quick movement among the lower tree branches caught his eye. Had the bowtruckles finally returned to the sacred circle of mighty elms? he idly wondered. Long displaced by the Fidelius Charm that had blanketed the estate for almost two decades, Hagrid had predicted that they might think their previous stomping grounds were forever haunted.

Not that he pretended to understand bowtruckles, that was for sure. His closest personal encounter had been when Peter and Sirius had run afoul of a small colony in the Forbidden Forest. The wolf he had been that night could not have cared less; it had been intent on warm-blooded prey.

Remus recalled the events clearly. It had been a bitter January night. Not just cold by any stretch of the imagination; but a bone-chilling, mind-numbing cold that clamped its icy jaws around his gut and refused to let go. The moon was scheduled to rise unusually late so Remus had made the most of the bonus hour after supper to put the finishing touches on his Transfiguration essay that was due the next morning. There was always someone to hand it in for him.

The common room had been deserted as the others lingered over pudding in the Great Hall below. He could already feel the inexorable pull of the moon, that strange mixture of anticipation and dread which had made him unable to stomach more than half a bowl of thin soup. But despite the roaring fire and blessed silence, he’d been unable to concentrate and his three friends found him pacing restlessly before the row of mullioned windows in their tower dormitory. Beyond the dark panes, the foreboding silhouette of the Forbidden Forest awaited.

“Blimey, Moony, you’re like a caged lion!” Peter joked as he threw himself upon the unruly bed covers.

“I’m sure Pomfrey will escort you early if you ask,” James soothed.

“Give you time to get a fire blazing in the Shack’s grate before we join up with you,” Sirius suggested with a snide grin.

“And how exactly would you explain that?” Remus stopped in his tracks and stared his dorm mate down. “The place is supposed to be haunted by other-worldly spirits; without bodies, they can’t possibly feel the cold!”

“And you know this how?” Sirius challenged in an unhurried drawl.

Without missing a beat, Remus retorted, “When have you ever known the temperature in Binns’ lessons to be anything short of glacial?”

“He has a point…” Peter muttered.

“On a clear night like this someone might actually suspect the ruddy house was on fire!” Remus cried. With a heavy sigh, he leaned against his four-poster. His muscles groaned in protest but he drew them taut by force of will alone.

Through a lopsided grin, James volunteered, “McGonagall predicted there would be a ring around the moon tonight.”

The rest went unspoken as Remus considered that McGonagall’s prognostication skills were legendary “ at least when it came to weather matters. She claimed it was due to her arthritic knee; but regardless of the reason, their Head of House far outshone any of the Divination teachers Dumbledore had hired until he’d finally discontinued the subject all together.

“Think she’s right?” Sirius posed. “Care to make a wager?”

Peter’s eyes lit up immediately but Remus countered in a factual tone, “Ice crystals in the atmosphere. That’s what causes the ring.”

“My gran always said rings were magical,” Peter defended.

“We’re magical, mate, and you don’t see us holed up with such romantic notions,” Sirius scoffed. “Except for Prongs here.” He elbowed James playfully in the ribs.

“You’re just jealous because Evans never speaks to you,” James remarked.

“She only talks to you to say how much of a waste of space you are,” Peter sniggered at James’ expense.

“It’s a start,” James contended nonchalantly.

“Moon rings are supposed to predict that changes are in store,” Peter maintained.

What sort of changes? Remus pondered inwardly, more to take his mind off the sound of his blood surging in his ears. Springtime? Any moron could say that. Predicting when spring would actually decide to park itself in the Scottish foothills: now that was a gamble.

“It’s going to take more than that to make the lot of you lucky at love,” Sirius announced.

“Skill and finesse,” James prodded.

“Sure, that’s how I do it,” Sirius acknowledged. “But the rest of you are irredeemably hopeless.”

“Perhaps it will finally be Moony’s turn!” Peter put forth with childish glee.

“A she-wolf on the horizon?” Sirius considered sardonically.

“Too bad there’s an inch of snow on the ground or you could pick a wildflower bouquet for your courting ritual,” Peter deadpanned.

“And just what does a Rattus Insularis like you know about mating rituals?” Remus shot back sharply.

“Ooooh, the big guns,” Peter taunted as he danced out of Remus’ reach.

Crossing his arms insolently behind his head, Sirius supplied, “You must have really gotten under Moony’s skin, Wormtail. He insulted you with his vocabulary.”

It was nothing more than the good-natured ribbing they always employed, but tonight Remus’ mood was anything but indulgent.

“It’s your vocabulary that’s insulting, Padfoot,” Remus bristled. “Never met an expletive you didn’t like.”

“Doesn’t do much good to throw bon mots at the bourgeoisie when it flies over their heads,” Sirius returned calmly.

“What time were you supposed to report to the Hospital Wing?” James asked as he leaned over to address Remus directly.

“Seven.”

“It’s a quarter ‘til,” James replied.

With a curt nod, Remus practically threw himself down the stairs. His nerve endings already felt as if they were trying to worm themselves free through the pores of his skin.

One look at his clammy face and Pomfrey’s expression had darkened with concern. “Are you feeling all right, Remus?” At his reproachful look, she amended, “Anything out of the ordinary?”

He shook his head, not wanting to burden her with the usual minutia.

“It’s absolutely freezing tonight,” she rattled on aimlessly as she grabbed a stack of worn blankets.

Automatically, he muttered, “I can help.”

“Not tonight,” she desisted. “Holding the blankets next to my body keeps the cold from leaching through the front of my cloak.”

He nodded wordlessly as he tightened the woolen scarf about his neck. Nevertheless, the bite of cold sucked the air from his lungs as they exited the castle doors. It was only a short walk to the Whomping Willow, but Remus regretted not having shaved that morning as his facial hair was transformed into icy thorns against his skin.

“The moon won’t set until sun-up,” she warned as she accepted his neatly folded clothing from behind the scratched and pitted door inside the Shrieking Shack. “Wrap yourself up in those blankets if you need to.”

“Thanks,” he croaked mechanically as he sat on the edge of the derelict bed to await the inescapable. The cold didn’t bother him nearly as much as the darkness he knew was laying in wait. Already he could feel his blood howling within, his heart beating a staccato as ancient as the hills themselves.






He awoke to find his friends peering at him from his bedside in the Hospital Wing. There was nothing unusual about that. It took him a few disorienting minutes to realize that James and Sirius were seated on the edge of the next mattress, but Peter was actually tucked under the blankets.

“Please tell me I didn’t…” he moaned.

“No, no,” James hissed lowly. “Peter got into a scrape of his own making.”

“Why do I get the feeling I’m going to regret asking?” Remus groused half-heartedly.

“Nothing to regret about a good tale,” Sirius returned with a wink. “Or should that be a rat-tail?”

“Don’t jostle the mattress, boys,” the officious tones of Madam Pomfrey came from across the room. “Peter needs to keep his leg still so the bones heal properly.”

“Should I double-check the immobilizing spell?” Sirius offered innocently as under his breath he added, “Send an extra tickle to the soles of his feet?”

“Hey!” Peter protested as chairs skidded to a halt at the foot of the bed.

“Sit!” commanded the matron. “Yes, in regular chairs like human beings. Pretend for once, if you have to.”

Remus bit his lip to keep from laughing then winced at the sharp pain. “What did you tell Pomfrey?” he whispered without moving his mouth more than a fraction of an inch.

“Sleepwalking,” Peter giggled as Remus’ heart sank at the sophomoric excuse.

“She’ll see right through that,” he warned lowly.

“She did,” Sirius admitted.

“But then she said it didn’t surprise her that growing boys like us would be drawn to a midnight snack,” James added.

“Handed it right to us on a platter,” Sirius confirmed with a hint of awe at his good fortune.

“She knows, Padfoot,” Remus growled.

“She knows we were lying, mate,” Sirius agreed. “But I warrant she thinks we were sneaking off to find you. Not that we were sneaking back…”

Peter’s tussled head nodded eagerly. “That’s when they managed to drop me right through the trick step --”

“And Sirius’ melodic curses wafted to Poppy’s delicate ears,” James finished with a smirk.

“Say, what was Poppy doing in the hallway herself?” Peter put forth. “Mighty suspicious, if you ask me.”

“It might have been, if you’d thought to confront her about it at the time,” Sirius admonished.

“He was in a haze of pain,” James offered in Peter’s defense. “She would just have told us she was patrolling the halls.”

“Except she never does that,” Sirius returned.

But their ruminations about what Pomfrey knew, didn’t know, or strongly suspected were cut short as the subject herself drew near.

“Enough visitation for now,” she announced. “Your assigned tasks await, gentlemen.”

“Bedpans?” Peter issued as he screwed up his nose in distaste.

With a self-satisfied smile, Pomfrey concurred, “I’m saving those specially for you, Mr. Pettigrew. Something to look forward to after your bones knit. But for your intrepid comrades, I have a more ambitious project.”

“And what would that be, ma’m?” Sirius offered with only the barest hint of chagrin.

“I have two whole cupboards of draughts and potions that need cataloguing and alphabetizing. Check the expiration dates carefully. Those with illegible labels need to be handled extra gently as we don’t know what’s in store. Horace will need to review those himself. If he can’t decipher his chicken scratches himself, he has other ways of testing their efficacy…”

Remus watched in awe as the petite matron goaded the school’s most notorious pranksters into action. He’d never noticed what a petty tyrant she could be; but then other than his swollen lip, he wasn’t feeling as bad from this full moon as he had in the past.

If Sirius and James relaxed into a rhythm, Pomfrey was at their backs to pester them with, “Careful not to drop anything. Caustic stains on the floor must be documented by the Deputy Headmistress herself “ who will likely feel the need to adjust House points in the bargain.”

After a few hours work, she surveyed their progress and assured that they could finish this cupboard and start on the next one tomorrow.

“What should we do with the bottles that are outdated?” James asked on his way towards the door.

“Nothing for now,” Madam Pomfrey instructed. “But when you’ve finished the first part of your task, you can then catalogue those for replacing and submit your inventory directly to Severus Snape for brewing. He’s working off some demerits of his own in Professor Slughorn’s lab.”

At their shocked expressions, she added extra sweetly, “You have the next few days to vie for the honor of dungeon delivery boy. If you can’t work it out among yourselves, I’m certain Remus will be only too happy to help you draw straws.”

Peter had not been able to stop himself from sniggering at the flummoxed expressions on his two roommates’ faces. A fatal mistake, Remus noted as he gave his battered lip a cautionary tweak.

Always on the alert, Pomfrey pivoted on her heel with a scowl. “Unless Mr. Pettigrew feels he’s much better suited to the task.”

“Not really, ma’m,” he stammered disjointedly. “I was…I didn’t mean…no, not at all.”

“We’ll just attribute it to the pain medication this time,” Pomfrey replied with barely contained satisfaction. “Choose carefully,” she warned the slightly deflated faces that were still hovering in the doorway. “Severus’ tongue can be quite acidic. Not to mention that he’s always on the lookout to recommend adjustments in favor of Slytherin House.”

As their steps echoed from the long corridor leading back towards Gryffindor Tower, Madam Pomfrey turned to the room at large. “I do hope they think twice about turning this into an opportunity for a prank,” she sighed. “Severus’ talents around a cauldron have earned him a considerable measure of respect from Professor Slughorn. Flaring tempers could set everyone back.”

Remus managed to keep his face impassive as she shared an economical smile with him. Peter had the good sense to feign sleep this time around.

In the intervening days, Peter was able to assist him with piecing together the events under the full moon. It was maddeningly slow at times as they had to wait until the overly attentive matron was out of earshot. Never had Remus berated himself more for locking away his wand when a well-placed Imperturbable Charm would have worked wonders.

He was still getting used to the disjointed nature of lupine memories at that age, nothing more than fleeting photographs in extreme close-up that would rise unexpectedly to accompany Peter’s narrative. The sharp crunch of the icy crust atop the softer down of snow as impatient paws made short work of the open ground. The dark fingers of tree branches lining the trails inside the Forbidden Forest. And always the pull of the moon, a bitter siren song that led him on and out and beyond his consciousness. He was one with the universe at times like these, but the man who fought for mastery over the wolfish instincts knew that Nature was cruel just as much as she was benevolent. He could never allow himself to totally succumb to his alter ego at the risk of losing his humanity along the way.

The ring around the moon had indeed made the entire landscape seem ethereal, Peter had explained, stumbling over the unfamiliar word despite Remus’ encouragement. Details stood in stark relief under the silvery moonbeams yet were washed of their daylight hues. A land in sharp contrast with the impenetrable blackness of solid objects such as houses, trees and fences.

The wolf had been in a playful mood, eager to romp and lead them all in a merry chase along the pristine snowscape, deeper and deeper into the forest until familiar landmarks assumed alien shapes. Before they knew it, they were trotting along the banks of a small stream that bordered the sacred grove of rowan trees. Remus recalled the spot from one of Professor Grubbly-Plank’s lessons. The stream was a grey ribbon wending its way through the colorless land, but it was uncertain whether the ice would support the weight of the larger animals.

The wolf had gamboled impatiently along the bank until it spied a fallen tree trunk spanning most of the stream. With the sure steps of a born aerialist, it had negotiated the icy bark with ease; and taking a giant leap near the end, landed gracefully on the distant shore. Sitting down on its haunches, its amber eyes had dared its playmates to follow as its tongue lolled out the corner of its toothy grin.

Prong’s hooves had been unequal to the task; but he had cantered brazenly onto the frozen surface itself, making it just past the halfway point when the sharp report of cracking ice shattered the stillness. He managed a few yards more before his massive body broke through to the frigid waters beneath. But being used to the cold weather, he kicked his way to shore without a second thought.

Recognizing that Wormtail was the sole creature that could cross the stream’s surface with impunity, Padfoot allowed him to slide off his back before attempting to follow in the wolf’s footsteps. As the jagged pieces of broken ice crisscrossed in ever-expanding patterns below, he prepared for the final burst of speed that would propel him to the far shore.

Concern for the homely rat made him turn at the last moment or perhaps it was the dark shadow that glided silently across the sky to momentarily blot out the moonlight. Wormtail was frozen in his tracks as he gazed up at the hungry owl bearing down upon him.

Padfoot’s warning bark clearly translated into “Move your ruddy carcass!” once it reached Wormtail’s ears. With his tiny heart pounding in his ears, the rat bounded across the snow, his small paws barely breaking the crust before they were reaching for empty air once more. He was no match for the skilled predator at his back, though, as he felt the gentle rays of the moon cut off by a deadly shadow that made the fur on his back stand on end.

In the far distance, he could hear strangled barking as Padfoot made to scare the bird away. A quick glance over his shoulder showed that the owl would easily out maneuver its four-footed pursuer. As the stand of sacred trees bolted into his line of sight, Wormtail knew that was his only chance for survival. With panic pumping through his veins, he darted for the gnarled roots and wormed his way between them. The bird’s sharp beak and curved talons pierced the ground just inches from where he’d found a tiny hollow.

Relentlessly, the owl kept at its prize as Wormtail’s tiny paws made to tunnel him deeper within the sheltering roots. With manic energy, he broke through to another empty pocket of air and he squirmed his way through. As he made a last ditch effort to dart up the massive trunk, the owl’s sharp eye caught sight of the sudden movement. Like a spotlight pinning his paler body against the dark wood, the owl swiftly changed tactics.

Padfoot was close enough to gnash at the bird’s tail feathers as it flapped a few feet off the ground and prepared for the final attack. Wormtail’s claws scraped at the frozen tree bark, the icy crystals burning as they made for treacherous footing. In a mad dash for survival, he managed to scamper ingloriously upward as the owl came within a hair’s breath of biting through his tiny neck. Far to the ground, Padfoot growled and jumped in impotent fury as the bird winged out of reach.

Wormtail’s feet finally reached the welcoming patch of moss that had grown in the shelter of a wide limb, but once again the owl dove for him with lightning speed. He could actually feel its rancid breath parting the hairs on his neck yet the bird drew back at the last possible moment once again.

In that extra second, the rat wormed his way into a slight depression at the limbs juncture and dared to cast a timid look over his shoulder. The twin amber suns of the owl’s night-adapted eyes glared balefully at him from where it hovered inches away. With an angry snap of its deadly beak, it veered sharply away.

Padfoot jumped on two legs against the tree trunk in triumph as the owl winged silently over the treetops in search of other prey. Likely it belonged to a student and would return to its perch in the Hogwarts owlery come morning.

On the far side of the stream, the stag playfully charged the frolicsome wolf as it pranced out of reach. Padfoot barked an all clear as Prongs shook his ruff in salute. Content that Wormtail had found a comfortable resting place, Padfoot once again ventured onto the slippery log that bridged the gap towards the other shore.

Weak with relief, Wormtail allowed his racing heart to return to normal as a soft drowsiness enveloped his weary limbs. Just as the pillowy cloud welcomed him, he felt sharp pellets raining against his face.

He opened rheumy eyes to a corrugated landscape that ran off at intersecting junctures. Before him, a veritable highway of bark led into narrower and narrower lanes as the summit approached. Yet part of the highway was moving towards him. Angry hisses filled the air as the bark pellets intensified.

In his haste, he’d forgotten about the bowtruckles, Wormtail considered with an inner groan. Cantankerous creatures that would as soon poke your eyes out as look at you. Unless at close quarters, they were normally no match for a human adversary, but considerably larger than a common island rat.

Think, Peter, think, he cried inwardly. What had Grubbly-Plank said to do when confronted with an enraged bowtruckle? That’s right, offer it a gift in homage. Some berries would do.

His tiny eyes darted in desperation until he located a fuzzy patch of mistletoe near the tip of the limb. With nimble paws, he scrambled along the wide highway until he reached his destination. In the distance, the bowtruckle had stopped to consider his actions with its hands on its hips. Was that a wry look on its conniving little face? Wormtail wondered.

Turning back to his objective, he selected a ripe bunch of opaline berries. Much to his dismay, he could barely get his tiny mouth around the stem. Biting down with all his might barely made a dent in the fibrous material. If only he had hands with which to snap the tiny stem, he whined.

Well, of course, he had hands, Peter the rat reminded his alter ego. Please, oh, please, let it work this time, he beseeched of whatever deity would take pity on an incompetent toerag like him. With a frantic mental incantation, he reverted back to human shape. He barely managed to grab the frigid tree branch between his arms to keep from sliding to the ground a good twenty feet below. The persistent ice was a burning river against the length of his body, but he ignored it. All he needed was snap a tiny bunch of mistletoe berries and present it to the fuming bowtruckle. Nothing to it.

With trembling fingers, he reached out towards the tangled mass before him. It wasn’t so easy to keep steady with only one arm, but he tightened his knees against the limb to compensate. Just a few more inches, he chanted inwardly. Taking a deep breath, he allowed his hand to relax, then with the exhalation he willed his arm muscles to lengthen. There! He could just reach it. Careful not to damage the berries, he snapped the stem sharply between his fingers -- and in the same heartbeat the branch on which he clung snapped in two.

He hit the ground with a resounding crunch that echoed among the bare treetops for miles. Numbness and fiery pain fought for dominance inside his brain as he lost track of his surroundings.

A wet tongue against his face revived him to a world hazy with pain. Warm brown eyes resolved themselves into cool grey as Sirius cradled his face in trembling hands.

“Peter, please say you can hear me! I turned back as quickly as I could.”

“I’m all right, I think,” Peter mumbled through bluish lips. “Hurts like hell, though.”

“Where?”

“Lower…my leg, I think.”

Sirius’ hands made a quick assessment but when they approached the left knee, Peter moaned in agony.

“Quiet,” Sirius’ voice was a bare whisper in his ear. “The wolf on the far shore, he’ll hear us. We’ll be prey all over again.”

Peter’s eyes grew wide with fear as the true implications hit him. How would they ever manage to restrain a werewolf who caught a whiff of human scent in the air? Injured human, the tastiest morsel of all!

He froze, not daring to tempt fate by looking towards the distant bank. The glacial grip of fear tightened its hold upon his bowels as the temperature seemed to drop another twenty degrees.

James had taken up the narrative at this point and described how the wolf’s eyes had blazed as it caught wind of an alluring scent. Even as a majestic stag, Prong’s coat had stood on end as the wolf threw back its head and howled a plaintive cry towards the moon. In the next second, it was scampering on all fours between the ancient trees and deeper into the forest. With a last glance over his shoulder, Prongs had galloped in pursuit.

He caught up to the wolf on the edge of a snowy meadow ringed with stark trees on all sides. Once again, the wolf stopped warily and inhaled deeply with its nose inches from the snow. With a lupine smile aimed towards its companion, the wolf dashed in frantic circles at small air holes which pock-marked the meadow’s surface. It would abandon one opening to pounce like an oversized jackrabbit towards the next. Only in one instance did a terrified field mouse break through to the surface and dash madly towards the next burrow, the wolf gamboling playfully behind.

Soon bored with this game, the wolf made as if to wander back towards the stream, but Prongs lowered his antlers in warning. With a shrug of its muscular shoulders, the wolf conceded to search out new entertainment further upwind. James admitted that he spent most of the night keeping the wolf from wandering too near the paddocks where Hagrid tended Professor Grubbly-Plank’s menagerie.

Sirius had filled in the facts from the riverbank as the wolf’s distant howl had unsettled them as well.

“They’re gone,” he’d whispered as Peter’s body trembled with a dangerous combination of fear and cold. “Prongs managed to direct the wolf’s attention elsewhere.”

“W-w-what if they come back?” Peter managed through chattering teeth.

“We’d best be gone by then. I’ll have an easier time transporting you back to safety if you resume your rat shape.”

“Not without my wand…can’t in that direction…like you and James manage it.”

With a wary look around him, Sirius slowly withdrew his own wand from his sleeve.

“But Remus said --” Peter sputtered.

“Sod Remus!” Sirius hissed. “I didn’t bring it for his benefit. And where the bloody hell would we be if I hadn’t?”

It took Peter a number of fumbling attempts before he succeeded in turning himself into Wormtail once more. Sirius followed suit and within moments Padfoot was gingerly picking up the injured rat in his mouth for transport to safety.

“In retrospect, I should’ve trekked the extra distance to the castle proper,” Sirius admitted lowly. “But all I could visualize was the closed trap door at the end of the tunnel and how my paws could not open the bolt.”

“You could’ve turned into human shape at that point,” Peter sniggered. “Put the rat into your shirt pocket like I’ve seen students do with their pets.”

“And then what?” Sirius turned a dark scowl in Wormtail’s direction. “Entrust your broken bones to Hagrid’s care? For that’s surely where the good matron would’ve sent me.”

“There’s a spell that forces another Animagus into human shape,” Remus had interjected at that point. “Seeing as how you had your wand.” He’d waved off Sirius’ hasty attempts to apologize for his earlier remarks. Remus had long ago conceded that his authority as House Prefect had little influence over the other Marauders.

“The spell’s in the manual,” James affirmed. “I’ll drill these blighters once we’re all back in our rooms.”

Remus nodded his approval as Sirius resumed his part of the tale.

So Padfoot had managed to push the door to the Shrieking Shack open with his nose and then laid Wormtail gingerly upon the faded mattress upstairs. Wrapping him up in a blanket did little to stop the shaking until the rat slowly drifted off into a troubled sleep. Once relaxed, Wormtail had naturally reverted to human form and Sirius was able to assess the damage to Peter’s leg more readily.

Was it his imagination, or did the sky look a little less black through the tattered curtains? he considered. James would return with the dawn and between the two of them, they could carry Peter past the Whomping Willow and up the front steps. Experience had shown that Pomfrey generally allowed an extra quarter hour after moonset before coming for Remus.

Bugger, it was almost as cold inside the decrepit building, Sirius remembered thinking as he drew the last blanket around his own shoulders. The morning star winked at him before dimming in deference to the first tendrils of smoky blue-orange. As Sirius allowed a deep sigh of relief to escape him, he was arrested by furtive movements on the powdery ground below.

With the breaking dawn, the werewolf’s eyes glowed a preternatural red as they bored into his. His heart hammering in this chest, Sirius backed slowly away from the window. But it was too late. The wolf’s song to its heavenly tormentor shattered the stillness as it caused the ancient windowpanes to rattle ominously.

“The direction of the wind had changed,” James explained as he took over, oblivious to how pale Remus’ face had become.

One minute the wolf had been happily teasing a frantic weasel through the undergrowth and the next it had reared onto its hind legs and tensed. Before Prongs could maneuver his body to intercede, the wolf was off in a loping gait towards the Shrieking Shack. Sensing that dawn was imminent, Prongs followed closely behind.

They broke out of the trees as the morning stars shown grimly from the horizon. In the silvery light, a thin trail of blood shone black against the snow. With deadly purpose, the wolf bent over the trail before howling its satisfaction. Deep in its breast, a menacing growl was growing in preparation for the ultimate hunt.

Prongs, too, had seen Sirius’ silhouette before the dawn’s reflection turned the windows into orange beacons. The moon hung heavy in the lower sky, determined to allow for a final skirmish before succumbing to the horizon.

Without a moment’s hesitation, Prongs threw his mass between the gaping front door and the snarling wolf. The porch was slippery under his hooves but he seemed to find his balance as he lowered his rack of antlers. The wolf looked at him quizzically for a split second before charging the barricade. With a sharp yelp of pain, it was rebuffed.

Snarling in hurt and anger, the wolf circled the small wooden porch to find an opening in the stag’s defenses. With headlong speed, it charged again, only to be thrown back once more. Howling with betrayal, the wolf slunk along the ground and tried to worm its way between the broken slats. The antlers caught it on the haunches and tossed its body into a snow drift.

It took a few moments for the stunned wolf to move, but it seemed like hours to James. He didn’t dare leave the half-opened door to come to his friend’s aid. Despite the fiery glow reflected on the surface of the snow, the wolf’s persistence was enough to convince him that the moon had still not set.

Limping slightly, the wolf paced in a semi-circle before the wooden porch. With a furtive look towards the horizon, it charged with lightning speed. It caught the antlers full in the chest and was hurled backward to land in a sodden pile against the broken fence posts. This time the wolf did not stir.

Still, the stag refused to leave his post. An eternity passed as he watched his breath form in silent puffs before his great nostrils. With the weak morning sun inching its way over the skeletal treetops, small bits of color slowly returned to the landscape. First it was the bright red splatters of blood upon the porch steps, then the russet tones of his hide contrasting with the inky blackness of his front hoof. He squinted against the diamond brightness of the snow, but the wolf remained an indistinct shadow.

A low moan -- all too human -- issued from the churned patch of snow where the wolf had landed. Not daring to delay any longer, Prongs became James as he raced to kneel at his friend’s side. Against the frigid expanse of crusty morning dew, Remus’ naked body curled in upon itself. The purple bruises along his hip and jaw stood in stark contrast to skin that threatened to match the color of the snow.

“Padfoot! Over here!” James yelled over his shoulder. “I need your help getting Moony inside before he turns blue.”

As they strained with the barely conscious form between them, James gave voice to the frustrations he’d felt during his defensive stance. “Why didn’t you stay in Animagus form? Animal blood wouldn’t have aroused the wolf in the same way!”

Sirius shrugged wordlessly. “Get a look at Peter before you pass judgment, mate. He can barely control his breathing at times.”

By the time they reached the stoop, Remus’ legs had unclenched sufficiently to stumble up the long staircase leading to the first story. He collapsed blindly onto the battered mattress as Peter rolled clumsily to one side. Wrapping Moony’s naked body in the blanket he’d been wearing, Sirius urged James to the other side of the bed.

With a grim set to his lips, he indicated the pulpy mass that was Peter’s right foreleg.

“Is it as bad as it looks?” James barely breathed.

“Don’t have time for an assessment if we want to avoid being seen,” Sirius urged with a hint of panic.

A curt nod from James was all it took as Sirius attempted to Levitate Peter. It was a shaky attempt due to exhaustion; but by taking turns with the wand, they managed to get through the tunnel without incident. They had just ducked out of sight behind the greenhouses when the creak of the Great Doors alerted them that Poppy was on her way.

“Earlier you said you encountered Pomfrey on the staircase,” Remus pointed out the inconsistency.

“That’s when she saw us,” Sirius clarified.

“So why wasn’t I with her?” Remus countered.

At their blank expressions, he emphasized, “If you avoided her when she was going out, then when she returned from the Whomping Willow she should’ve had me in tow.”

“Perhaps she’d already deposited you in the Hospital Wing,” Peter put forth eagerly.

“She wouldn’t have left him alone with his injuries like that,” James weighed in. “Sorry about the split lip, by the way.”

Remus waved off the apologies as inconsequential under the circumstances.

“She gave us the distinct impression she was on her way to an early breakfast,” Sirius volunteered. “Clever of her to put us off the scent like that. She even offered to send us up some snacks if we returned directly to our dormitories.”

“A basket of scones with pots of jam and tea were waiting for us when we got there,” James supplied.

“Then she did a masterful job of diverting your attention,” Remus shot back. “And just so we’re clear on this, you really have no idea who was exiting the Great Doors when you rounded the greenhouse wall.”

“Not really,” Sirius capitulated. “Didn’t seem prudent to look over our shoulders.”

No, they would’ve been easier to identify if that person had gotten a look at their faces, Remus considered with misgivings. In a bare whisper, he cautioned, “Need I remind you that your nocturnal excursions are entirely too dangerous.”

With a slightly affronted look, James maintained, “You didn’t think so when we took the tunnel into Hogsmeade village.”

“That wasn’t a full moon!” Remus hissed through gritted teeth. “What if that ruddy owl had hauled Wormtail away in its teeth?”

“Wouldn’t have happened,” Sirius countered with quiet determination. “We over-reacted, it seems.”

James caught Remus’ forearm in warning as Pomfrey took a quick look over her shoulder.

“Wormtail was foolish to revert to human shape is all,” James acknowledged under his breath.

“Show Moony the book,” Peter urged from the other bed. “He was asleep when you came by last night.”

From under his school robes, James presented Remus with an unfamiliar book.

“What’s this? The Gift of the Animagi?” Remus nearly choked on the incredibly lame pun. “It’s a joke right?”

“Only for Evans,” James acknowledged. “She’s always asking why we carry that thick Transfiguration manual.”

“This way he could flash the title without giving anything away,” Sirius acknowledged with a wry grin.

“Did she laugh?” Remus found himself asking of their ridiculous escapades.

“She took him for a fool!” Sirius guffawed. “It was pretty funny.”

“I take it Lily herself didn’t laugh,” Remus surmised.

“Not really,” James admitted as Peter joined in with Sirius’ unrestrained mirth. Indicating the book on Remus’ lap, he added, “Page 394. Easy to remember that, isn’t it?”

Effing coincidences, Remus thought to himself. He’d never forget that page in their Dark Arts Defense text as long as he lived. It had been the ultimate in humiliation, denial, and barely banked panic as their lesson had introduced the class to werewolves. How to recognize them and neutralize their threat. Now that was a joke! Remus fumed inwardly. Avoidance was the only real defense. Other than that, neutralization usually meant death or dismemberment for the werewolf in question.

Since most magical spells rebounded from werewolf fur, only a longbow or crossbow was effective without putting the other person close enough to risk contagion. Destroy one cursed beast just to create another; it was Nature’s way of guaranteeing that werewolves would survive despite society’s overt hatred and prosecution. Even though he’d not been called upon to give a practical accounting, it had been one of the longest and most nauseating hours of Remus’ young life as he’d sat woodenly at his desk.

Dumbledore had made a point of apologizing later as he gently stressed that werewolves were an inescapable part of the third year Dark Arts curriculum. Far better that those lessons be covered while Remus was present than to have his absence give rise to all sorts of conjectures.

Shoving those unpleasant memories into the back of his mind, Remus concentrated on the text before him:

Despite the hierarchy of predation in the natural world (often called the food chain), Animagi are no more at risk than their human counterparts. Just as a true animal diet is a revolting thought to most Animagi, animal predators seem to instinctively recognize the “oddness” of this particular prey and simply give them a wide berth.

Since the Animagi Transformation dissipates at death, it is
theorized that this is Nature’s way of insuring that a bird who consumed an Animagi worm would not explode when the morsels reverted to human shape inside its gullet.

It is important to note that while the Predator Avoidance Phenomenon is widely documented, no living Animagus has volunteered to see if his dismembered parts will revert to human shape at death.


“So you see, Wormtail couldn’t make wizarding history even if he wanted to,” Sirius put forth.

Remus remembered smiling wanly as James tucked the book back into his satchel. There were no words to express how their spirited narrative had sent all sorts of disjointed images through his brain, teasers that ran together faster than he could identify them. He’d remembered the alluring scent of the field mice: redolent like allspice with a hint of warmth like cinnamon. But it was the memory of the final approach to the Shrieking Shack that had left him cold with fear. Those impressions were the clearest of all. Perhaps because they were the last before morning; or was there a darker, more visceral reason? The façade of the building had been like a demented face in the wolf’s memory: the upper story windows like taunting eyes, the porch roof like a stunted nose, the open front door a sneering mouth. It had lured him with its intoxicating song from the sheltering woods, promising that which was forbidden above all else.

Remus’ reverie was broken when Dobby arrived at his elbow to remove the discolored mug that had contained a supplemental dosage of Wolfsbane Potion. Not even the soothing effect of macerated mooncalf blossoms had helped this time; his body was just too close to reaching its endurance.

“Can Dobby get you anything else, Master?” the elf beseeched, his large eyes full of concern as he surveyed Remus’ ashen countenance.

Remus shook his head with resignation. “Nothing short of a cure will help at this point, I’m afraid.”

“Perhaps if we went inside, it would ease the sensations somewhat,” Tonks suggested from the adjacent lounge chair. “You haven’t turned a single page in that book for the past half hour. Would it help if I read aloud? It’s not something the children shouldn’t overhear, is it?”

Remus flashed his wife an appreciative grin. “Right up their alley, in fact. Only catch is that it’s in French.”

Tonks made a playful grimace. “So you don’t want my lips to spew forth gibberish?”

“Mangled French is virtually impossible to follow, love.”

“Yet you always manage to keep up with your students.”

“They at least know the rudiments of pronunciation. And you, cherub, are hopeless when it comes to anything other than a dinner menu.”

Scrutinizing the sketch of the smirking schoolboy on the book’s cover, she tendered, “I don’t suppose there’s a scene where his parents take young Nicholas to dine at a café, is there?”

Remus laughed despite the queasiness in his stomach. “No, he restricts his terrorizing to the home and classroom in this volume.”

“A regular reprobate, is he?”

“Imagine Fred and George rolled into one compact package “ minus the magic, of course.”

“Do his parents run off to join the French Foreign Legion, then?”

“Perhaps in one of the later volumes,” Remus allowed, recalling that one of the sequels took the irrepressible rascal on various vacations.

With sudden inspiration, he considered what a great writing project that would make for his advanced students someday: write an original story about le petit Nicolas. Not that he had anyone beyond the second level at the present, but that would progress each year. Would Serenity be up for such a challenge? he pondered inwardly. She’d certainly enjoyed reviewing the first volume for him, assuring him that his upcoming third level could tackle it with a bit of guidance.

He was loath to load up any of his other students so near the end of term, though. Due to the mixed ages in his classes, many of them were facing O.W.L.s “ and even N.E.W.T.s “ in the upcoming weeks and were already starting to succumb to the added pressure. There weren’t any standardized examinations in languages “ not yet, as Minerva liked to remind everyone “ so Remus did his best to go easy on them for the time being.

As a second year, Serenity would not be facing her barrage of qualifying exams for another three years. She could easily tackle a challenging writing assignment. Why he’d even let her work on it over the summer term break if she preferred; she’d already agreed to continue as his student assistant. Grading the other students’ work couldn’t have presented much of a challenge, even though Remus did his best to tax her fluency by banning English from their everyday interactions.

Catching Tonks’ eye as she urged him to his feet, Remus asserted, “If anything, you’ve just given me a great idea for Serenity’s next assignment.”

“Really?”

“It’s time she impressed me with her sentence structure. Four years of French schooling have to count for something.”

“Just don’t dump the blame on me,” she joked in return.

There was no denying her husband’s enthusiasm and dedication to his teaching duties. She wouldn’t have minded having such entertaining classes during her school years although foreign languages hadn’t been an option at Hogwarts until recently. Just as well, Tonks concluded wryly, she would likely have gotten herself sent home for unabashedly flirting with her charming instructor.

They found Harry and Ginny lingering over tea and checkers in the dining room. Two extra plates of crumbs attested that Phoebe and Teddy had been present as did the two sets of abandoned game pieces.

Competitive tension filled the air as the two remaining combatants faced each other across a board strewn with multi-hued frogs. Adapted from the Muggle game of Chinese checkers, the wizard version used enchanted markers fashioned after vividly colored tree frogs. Unlike their real-life counterparts in South America which were often poisonous to the touch, these were ideal for jumping opponents’ pieces but tended to wander off if not currently engaged. Such was the case with the blue and mauve pieces which hopped disconsolately amid the discarded teacups while the green and yellow-spotted red ones fought for supremacy.

Instinctively sensing the disarray, Dobby arrived with a resounding crack and issued a sharp whistle. Immediately, the blues and mauves hopped into their empty tubes for safe-keeping. Tonks couldn’t help expelling a small sigh of displeasure, recalling from childhood that hunting down the errant pieces in the aftermath was often more captivating than the game itself.

“Wasn’t that a birthday gift from the twins to Phoebe?” Remus remarked with an indulgent smile.

“It was,” Ginny affirmed, never taking her eyes off the game. “But Rabbit was too impatient for Teddy to work his way through the words of the instructions.”

“I remember playing the Muggle version,” Harry supplied, “so offered a quick demonstration.”

“Doesn’t seem like it appealed to them much,” Tonks noted.

“They were just too restless to wait for Ginny and me to finish, is all,” Harry chuckled.

“No one wants to forfeit a game that’s already begun,” Ginny echoed a common phrase from the Weasley household.

“We’ll leave you to it, then,” Remus affirmed as he picked through the tea offerings before Dobby put them away. Nothing appealed to him, to be perfectly honest, so he settled for an unadorned pumpkin scone. Tonks automatically poured them both from the herbal tea blend renowned for its digestive properties.

The carefree chattering around the game board created a pleasant backdrop as Remus retired to the main drawing room and settled with his book once more. So lost was he in the antics of the pint-sized rapscallion and his motley band of accomplices that he didn’t immediately respond to the furtive clattering on the front step.

“See to the children,” Tonks hissed as she laid a warning hand on his shoulder. Behind her, Ginny and Harry stood with wands drawn at the ready.

Remus didn’t need to be told twice as he bounded on long legs toward the wing housing the children’s bedrooms. Outside their doorways, he hesitated briefly to cast Imperturbable Charms to keep Rabbit and Spook from hearing any commotion. Not wanting to dart away like a coward, Remus inched his way back towards the drawing room, careful to keep himself unseen amid the shadows within the short corridor.

There was no mistaking the sharp rap of the door knocker as it started his heart to pounding loudly in his ears. They were not expecting visitors, never on the evening of the full moon. Why he’d watched Tonks cast the customary Fidelius Charm to make the estate disappear from view. The children had waved merrily to the departing owls entrusted with routine messages from the Secret-Keeper to the Headmistress and the Burrow. Was this the unforeseen emergency they’d been dreading since they'd settled here nearly seven years ago?

But most disturbing of all: how had someone “ or something “ wormed its way past ancient magic designed to keep enemies away? A quick glance at the opal orb mocking him from the deepest blue of twilight convinced Remus that this was not the ideal time to be receiving company of any sort.
Thirty-One: Frenzy by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Thirty-One
Frenzy




They were frozen like a trio of tenpins orphaned by a rogue ball. Taking the initiative, Harry crept forward as he motioned for Tonks and Ginny to stay in the relative safety of the drawing room. A quick swish of his wand and he held up three fingers.

In the tail of the loose queue, Tonks held three fingers behind her back, not daring to catch Remus’ eye as he hung back in the shadowy hallway. Three intruders had managed to circumvent their carefully crafted precautions.

Harry gripped his wand more securely in a hand slick with nervous sweat. His lungs struggled as images from the past tightened their grip around his throat. The foul breath of dementors drawing him near as fragmented memories of his parents’ last waking moments tumbled in quick succession through his mind. Just like this: in this very house, the knock on the door had shattered lives into pieces that could never be mended.

By the dragon’s hoary breath, hadn’t Remus told him that Voldemort had even timed that attack to coincide with the full moon?

His heart racing in barely contained panic, he felt Tonks’ comforting touch upon his shoulder. “Don’t let the past blind you,” she issued in a low whisper. “You won’t be facing your demons alone.”

His quick nod of thanks was interrupted by a more insistent pounding on the door.

“Open up!” was the gruff demand from the other side.

“We know you’re in there,” followed a sing-song woman’s voice. Strangely familiar, yet muffled by the thick wood.

“Open up for Werewolf Services!” demanded a third voice. Probably another man, Harry decided. “We’re empowered to break the door down if necessary!”

“Do it, Harry,” Tonks breathed. “It’s futile to resist when there’s a full moon.”

“Coming, coming,” Harry issued in a voice made to sound as if it was calling from the far side to the house. He, too, recalled Remus’ terse words about the surprise inspections the Werewolf Unit could impose. Anyone listed on the Werewolf Registry could come under scrutiny if it was believed he was not taking proper precautions.

“Forgive me, we weren’t expecting any visitors tonight,” he muttered in apology as he inched the massive door open. It was caught by burly hands and thrust open to bang rudely against the wall.

“That’s quite clear,” the treacle-drenched voice of Dolores Umbridge proclaimed as she marched smugly across the threshold. “A well-executed Fidelius Charm speaks volumes, doesn’t it?”

In grey uniform hoods, the two enforcers from the Werewolf Capture Unit flanked her Royal Toadness on each side.

“If this is an official visit, I’ll need to see identification,” Tonks insisted as she quickly glanced at those of the two men. Turning an appraising eye on Umbridge, she commented in a frosty tone, “Although I have to wonder about your presence, Dolores. Didn’t you retire from the Ministry a number of months ago?”

“Citizen’s petition,” Umbridge returned curtly. “Don’t forget I used to work in the Department for the Control and Regulation. I’m well familiar with my rights.”

“Only if you suspect us of harboring a werewolf,” Tonks rejoined with maddening calm. “Sorry to disappoint you, but we’re not.”

“Explain the Fidelius Charm then,” Umbridge harrumphed.

Ginny flashed a quick look at Harry to confirm they both had the same instinct. But treating Umbridge to a condescending lesson on rudimentary charm theory would hardly serve them will in this instance “ regardless of how much the meddlesome witch deserved it.

Improvising on the spot, Harry summarized, “A spell that can be used to keep outsiders out and insiders in. Not illegal by any stretch of the imagination.”

“One which obviously failed in this instance,” Ginny shot back with barely contained fury.

“Which brings us to the subject for our visit,” Umbridge returned with a sinister smile. “Who “ or what “ were you trying to contain? Something that the fencing around the property is powerless against?”

“We were guarding our privacy,” Tonks returned evenly.

“Werewolves have no such rights!” Umbridge spat. “Not when they endanger the lives of young children in the bargain!”

“My children are with their grandparents,” Tonks replied. “But Harry here is a bit of a celebrity --”

“Don’t flatter yourself!” Umbridge cried. “Erecting monuments to yourselves makes you narcissistic fools, not heroes.”

“Shall we search the premises, Madam Undersecretary?” the rotund goon on the right offered meekly.

“You, too, Greg,” Umbridge urged the other to action as well. “Search the root cellar, first. That’s where poor Mr. and Mrs. Lupin were forced to cage their rabid son. Find him!” Slithering up to Tonks with a viperous sneer, she added, “Didn’t your husband think to share his childhood memories with you, dear? Or were you so rebellious yourself that you reveled in his depravity?”

Tonks flinched noticeably but managed to stay silent. Only her knuckles clenching white around her wand betrayed her true state of mind.

Umbridge bustled into the drawing room where Ginny was still hanging back. “You’ve done quite well for yourselves. Pity Harry’s parents had to die to leave you in such comfort.” Settling her squat from into an oversized armchair that barely contained her, Umbridge assumed a treacherous smirk.

Unable to stop herself, Ginny took a step towards the unwelcome visitor but Harry’s wordless shake of the head forestalled her angry words.

“Why don’t we all have a nice chat?” Umbridge simpered. “We haven’t seen each other in ages.” Scowling at Harry and Tonks who had remained in the foyer, she hissed, “It’s incredibly rude to make your guests use a Compulsion Charm, don’t you think?”

Woodenly, they complied for lack of any other way to rebuff her. Muffled shouts from the direction of the back stairs indicated that the containment specialists were exploring the length of the earthen tunnel which led to the potting shed.








At the dreaded words, “Werewolf Capture Unit”, Remus cast one last woeful look in Tonks’ direction before easing himself back down the hallway.

There was no point in trying to reason with such invasive procedures, he concluded. He’d be bound, trussed, and stunned before anyone could complain that as long as he wasn’t in wolf form, he shouldn’t be subject to such draconian measures. Chances were that the argument would fall on deaf ears anyway.

A small shadow at his elbow stopped him dead in his tracks.

“Forgive me, Master.” Dobby turned eyes swimming in tears to Remus’ startled face. “Dobby has failed in the duties quite spectacularly.”

“Nonsense,” Remus issued lowly as he squatted at the house-elf’s side. “Hand-wringing does no one any good.”

Dobby nodded dumbly with downcast eyes. “Please name your punishment. It is your right.”

“Why would I want to punish you?” Remus prompted with a gentle smile, sensing that the elf possessed valuable information if he could only unlock it. He cast a hasty Muffliato charm just in the nick of time.

“Dobby is a failure!” the elf wailed.

“Don’t buy it,” Remus countered with an obstinate expression of his own. “Convince me.”

Not one to refuse a direct order, Dobby dialed back the tears that were gushing from his overlarge eyes. “I let the interlopers through,” he gulped.

Remus gave him a penetrating look. “You may be able to pass unhindered through our spells, but you can’t drag other witches and wizards with you!”

Dobby shook his head as if he wanted to scramble his brain. Through tremulous lips, he conceded, “Explanations first. Then punishment.”

“A punishment at my discretion,” Remus stressed.

“The huge flower pot Mistress bought at the market,” Dobby began. “There was just the one?”

Thankfully, Remus thought himself. That Italianate porcelain was hideous in his opinion; but Tonks had insisted the garish colors would brighten up their patio as she drove the price way down with her well-honed bargaining skills. “Only one,” Remus attested.

Dobby pulled on the hem of his tiny jacket in misery. “Dobby got confused. He thought Mistress may have gone back for more since they were such a bargain.”

“She talked about it, yes. But in the end, she didn’t,” Remus confirmed. Good taste won out, he added inwardly. “But you thought she went and got some later. Behind my back, so to speak.”

Dobby nodded vigorously as the tears welled in his eyes once more. “Mistress is not easily swayed by others’ opinions,” he asserted with accuracy.

“That’s true,” Remus agreed with a fond smile. “Not such an unreasonable conclusion on your part, Dobby. It just happened to be wrong in this instance.”

Dobby whimpered unabashedly. “Dobby found extra containers in the shed. Large and overly decorated like the other one. Dobby didn’t think to ask!” The elf berated himself by pulling sharply on his ear lobes.

So that’s how they did it, Remus thought darkly. Disguised themselves as inanimate objects before the Fidelius Charm was cast. Which meant that this was not a random search at all, but a carefully planned operation specifically targeting him and his family. His frown deepened as he considered that Tonks’ carefree shopping expedition may have been shadowed by evil conspirators. No doubt Umbridge was enough of a fanatic to sustain herself without food or drink for two days’ time just to get past his safety procedures “ and under his skin, he added with a determined grimace.

“Look here, Dobby,” Remus whispered as he gently cradled the elf’s hands in his. “I need your help. You’re to be our secret weapon.”

“But Dobby failed,” the elf sniffled to his shoes.

“And I’m going to give you an opportunity to make things right.”

“But Masters never do that…” the elf blubbered.

“This one does. Like my wife, I don’t feel I have to cater to another’s expectations. Surely that makes sense to a free elf like you.”








Returning with clumps of dirt clinging to their navy uniform jackets, the two containment specialists immediately took the back staircase that led to Ginny’s and Harry’s room above. It occurred to Harry that they’d make much shorter work of the large house if they split up, but undoubtedly these two relied on one another to keep from getting lost on a regular basis. Probably when they went to the Gents, he wanted to whisper just to hear Ginny giggle. But this was not the moment.

“Let’s get this straight so there are no misunderstandings,” Umbridge offered in an overly cheerful tone. “We will find Remus Lupin, make no mistake about it.”

“Did you think to owl him?” Ginny retorted.

Umbridge snapped her double chins towards Ginny’s burning eyes. “Is that how you lot communicate at home? How utterly pretentious!”

With the patience once allots to small children, Tonks stated, “Like I told you from the start, Dolores, my husband is not at home.”

“Really, where is he then?” Umbridge sneered as she waved her fat fist containing their surrendered wands for emphasis.

Harry frantically wracked his mind for anything to distract Umbridge from searching the far wing herself. Remus would need a few extra moments to herd the children together and make their escape. Harry was familiar with the back-up emergency plan they never thought would ever be used.

“Out for a stroll,” he threw up the roadblock.

“In the moonlight?” Umbridge disparaged with a barely contained shriek. “You haven’t outgrown your pathetic need to tell lies, have you?”

“Think what you like.” Harry shrugged with studied casualness. “Seems you still feel the need to bully those around you.” Into the stunned silence, he dared, “What does that say about your total lack of interpersonal skills?”

Umbridge jumped to her feet in outrage. “Why you insolent whelp --”

Tonks lurched forward in warning only to recall she no longer had her wand. “This is supposed to be a peaceful search, Dolores. Force is justified only if you encounter resistance; we allowed you entry into our home.”






On silent feet, Remus slipped into Teddy’s room to find that Phoebe was there as well. Hunched over the frog strewn Chinese checkerboard, they barely acknowledged their father’s entrance.

“I’ve changed my mind,” Remus issued in a conspiratorial tone as he sat down on the bed to calm his shaking knees. “Let’s join the Weasleys for supper tonight!”

Wide grins were turned to him immediately.

“Change clothes?” Phoebe questioned as she tucked her feet beneath her.

“Not this time,” Remus whispered. “I want it to be a surprise. You know how hard it is to fool Molly.”

The children nodded eagerly as they rose to their feet.

“What about…?” Teddy indicated the diminutive frogs that had been loosed upon the floor like bright gum drops.

“Dobby will take care of it “ this time,” the elf emphasized as he hovered near the doorway. As Remus silently directed the children towards the master bedroom, Dobby whispered, “They’re searching the upstairs in the other wing.”

“Come,” Remus urged the children to stand before the slate fireplace that faced the wide bed. “We don’t want to interrupt them once they’ve started in on the soup, now do we?”

“That’s rude!” Phoebe interjected joyfully as Remus prudently reinstated the Muffliato Charm.

“What about the others?” Teddy stubbornly maintained. “Aren’t Ginny and Harry coming, too?”

“They’ll be along shortly; your mother also,” Remus confided lowly. “But everyone at once will just spoil the surprise. Better that a small group sneak around from the drawing room…”

The children nodded vigorously to indicate they understood their part in the plan.

Grabbing the pot of Floo Powder from the mantle, Remus held it out to his son with great ceremony. “Will you do the honors? Now take you sister with your other hand.”

Teddy faltered. “Aren’t you coming with us?”

“In a minute, but I have to send a quick message to Hogwarts first.” Remus offered a small smile which he hoped didn’t look too strained.

“Like I did at Yuletide?” Teddy posed as he tossed a fistful of sparkly dust into the banked embers.

“Precisely,” Remus concurred. “Say it loud and clear.”

“And then peek into everyone’s houses,” Phoebe supplied as she anticipated the multitude of open grates whizzing past.

“The Burrow!” Teddy commanded as the two of them stepped in unison into the emerald flames. The last look he threw over his shoulder at his father showed wide, questioning eyes.






Harry almost broke down when the duo from the Capture Unit tromped down the back stairs for a second time. What a pair of moronic gits! he couldn’t help thinking. Did they need a ruddy compass to find their way? But he didn’t dare give voice as it was also possible they had been Confunded in some manner.

He wouldn’t put it past Tonks, either. She was always surprising them with some esoteric bit of magic she’d learned as Hufflepuff’s chief prankster during her school days.

“All those detentions Pomona Sprout used to assign me,” she’d once explained. “I wasn’t as good at evading consequences as the Marauders, mind you.”

“Did you know Dad while you were at school?” Teddy had asked, brimming with childish curiosity.

“No, dear. He was a few years ahead of me. But his legend lived on at Hogwarts.”

“Mainly recounted in hushed whispers, furtively, in dark corners,” Harry had egged her on.

“Until Fred and George decided to follow in their footsteps,” Ginny interjected.

“True,” Tonks allowed. “I wasn’t as dedicated as the twins since I had to take time out for my studies. More often than not, my escapades were a solo effort.”

“You were the type who always giggled at her own cleverness when she got caught,” Remus summarized. “I’m surprised the Auror Department didn’t hold that against you.”

Tonks pulled a wry face. “It’s not so amusing when you’re following some blighter’s barmy orders. But back in the day, I spent a number of evenings under Pomona’s watchful eye.”

“I’m surprised she didn’t make you tend to the more obnoxious plants,” Ginny volunteered only to start Teddy sniggering.

“She tried,” Tonks confided. “But I managed to topple the entire cart of mandrake plants and she had to chase them down to repot them….Blimey, those little hairy roots could build up some momentum!”

“Hardly sounds like an accident,” Remus opined.

“Who did you say couldn’t keep a straight face?” Tonks retorted.

“And here I thought it was your reputation for clumsiness that had preceded you,” Remus shot back.

“So I put it to good use,” Tonks staunchly maintained. “The upshot of which was that dear Pomona soon decided that allowing me to study quietly was the wisest course of action. Little did she know that I had finished my coursework and was diligently researching my next campaign.”

“Let me guess,” Harry tendered. “The Restricted Section?”

“I’m certain I don’t know what you mean,” she sniffed.

“Geez, Mum, I never knew you and Dad were so much fun at school,” Teddy cried in delight.

“Just don’t you forget it, Spook,” Remus warned with a playful wag of his finger. “Any prank you think up we’ll have diffused in a heartbeat.”

No doubt about it, Harry decided as he glared at Umbridge’s reptilian smirk, a bit of wandless mischief would be right up Tonks’ alley.






Remus collapsed in a heap on the end of the mattress as he struggled to breathe slowly and evenly. No time to panic, he reminded himself as he took his wand in hand. Within a moment, he had composed Patronus messages to Arthur Weasley and Minerva McGonagall.

Despite what he’d promised his children, it was not safe to follow them to the Burrow as there was nothing to stop Umbridge’s crew from showing up on that doorstep as well. Right now, he needed the sanctuary that only the impregnable walls of Hogwarts could provide, but it would take a few minutes for the Headmistress to open a connection to the Floo Network. Even if he managed it, Apparating to the school gates would leave him vulnerable while someone was sent to unlock them.

He jerked involuntarily as Dobby appeared at his elbow. “They’ve doubled back up the front stairs to see where that leads,” the elf sniggered.

“The same rooms they searched from the other side?” Remus countered incredulously. Could they really be that stupid?

Dobby nodded with a wide grin. “Dobby used a confusion spell that keeps guests from wandering into private areas of the house.”

“Well done!” Remus asserted. “I need you to continue to work in secret, though. Unseen and unsuspected.” It was likely Umbridge would summarily discount a lowly house-elf, but there was no sense in exposing themselves.

“What if Mistress calls for refreshments?” Dobby posited as he anticipated his customary duties.

“These aren’t guests, make no mistake about that. They’re interlopers come to steal things away.”

“Should I watch the silver like I did at Malfoy Manor?”

“Not exactly,” Remus instructed. “They’re not after material things. They’ve come to steal our happiness and tear apart our family, if that makes any sense.”

Dobby nodded with somber eyes. “They won’t succeed. Dobby knows where the extra wands are kept.”

“Just promise me that you won’t be seen,” Remus cautioned. Who knew what brutish punishments they might think to impose upon an errant house-elf?

Remus made to stand but sagged dangerously against the clothes cupboard instead. Two Patronus messages in close succession would tax any wizard and he was hardly at his best today.

Dobby thrust a glass half full of water at him and tilted his head meaningfully towards the bedside cabinet. Catching his import, Remus Summoned the small, stoppered bottle of medication. Even such a miniscule burst of magic made him feel light-headed. He’d give into his weariness when he arrived at the castle, he promised himself.

Slowly counting out four droplets of the strange tincture, the water in the glass turned a deep cobalt as the outside clouded over with a thin layer of ice. The faint smell of crushed lavender tickled Remus’ nose as he downed the mixture in two long gulps.

Dobby took the empty glass before it slipped to the floor. A few deep breaths seemed to ease Remus’ racing heart.

The elf held out the pot of Floo Powder as he pressed the medicine bottle into Remus’ other hand. “They’ve tracked through the kitchen and dining room and are headed this way,” he pronounced in an urgent whisper.

Remus nodded wordlessly as he gathered a fistful of powder. There was no more time left. If the castle wards rebuffed him, he’d likely end up in a strange fireplace further down the chain. Hogsmeade, probably. A few embarrassing moments while he explained himself to the startled residents and they would help the hapless professor find his way back to Hogwarts. He was hardly a stranger in Hogsmeade, by any means.

As the green flames licked his long legs, he turned to take in the bereft-looking bedroom. Phoebe’s stuffed rabbit lay crumpled on the floor, intensifying Remus’ anguish at having to abandon those dearest to him.

He barely choked out the words, “ ‘eadmistress’ Office, Hogwarts,” before being swept away into a dizzying patchwork of floo-windows circling about him at odd angles. It was all he could so to keep from crushing the tiny bottle he clenched in his fist.





Unable to hold her tongue any longer, Ginny proffered, “If you’re intent on maintaining a façade of civility, the least you could do is introduce your associates.”

“Rather rude for gentlemen to keep their hoods up inside the house,” Tonks added more to keep herself from smirking at Ginny’s boldness than anything else.

Harry gasped aloud as the two goons threw back their woolen hoods. The porcine eyes of Vincent Crabbe blinked in narrowed contempt as the vacuous features of Gregory Goyle took in his surroundings with a hungry grin.

“Look, Vin,” he cried. “It’s a regular class reunion, it is!”

“Never had much to say to this lot,” Crabbe mumbled as he turned his back.

“Continue your search, boys,” Umbridge crooned. “Time to exchange addresses later.”

Goyle nodded absently as he followed Crabbe into the kitchen. The sound of cupboard doors slamming followed.

Did they really think a grown man could secret himself among the pots and pans? Harry considered. Right, make that a grown werewolf, a creature hardly known for its dexterity in domestic situations.

Within minutes, Crabbe and Goyle were exiting into the dining room and starting in on the liquor cabinet.

“Don’t slam those doors unless you want to be swimming in the swill this lot surely consumes,” Umbridge warned. “And don’t forget to check for trap doors beneath the Axminster.”

As Crabbe bent his portly form to comply, Harry barely resisted the urge to lunge for the box of darts on the side table. If only he could manage it before Umbridge’s Stunner cut him down. Then remembering the Toad Queen’s delight in cruelty, he abandoned the notion.

With eyes full of pent-up frustration, he watched his old school tormentors turn resolutely towards the hallway leading into the Lupin wing.








The smell of dust assaulted his sensitive nose as the world continued to tumble out of control. It took Remus a few extra heartbeats to recognize that the spinning sensation was inside his brain as his knees encountered rough brick. In the gloomy twilight, he lifted hands black with soot.

Where was he? Clearly not some cheery country cottage as he’d envisioned. All around him, the dark stone walls were covered with all manner of implements. It was too large for a potting shed “ unless it belonged to a viscount’s estate. The landed aristocracy were not likely to be connected to the Floo Network, though.

He leaned onto his hip as he untangled his legs beneath him. The atmosphere of mildew and disuse was like a thick layer coating his tongue. Perhaps if he went outside he could find his bearings, he considered as he shakily rose to his feet.

In the dim surroundings, he failed to notice the tumbled andirons. Catching his shoe, his body was sent sprawling painfully on the floor. His hands barely kept his face from colliding with the unyielding flagstones.

Rolling over onto his back, Remus allowed the air to slowly return to his lungs as he contemplated the stone ceiling supports. Could he be in some sort of dungeon perhaps? He’d best let his eyes grow accustomed to the low light. It was unfortunate that Wolfsbane dulled his night vision, but it had hardly mattered before now. It would just take minutes instead of seconds to acclimate, he reminded himself. Just like an ordinary wizard.

Bringing his right hand close to his face, he noted the subcutaneous dots of blood where the impact had bruised his palm. The sting throbbed dully, but it was nothing compared to the sharp pain from his other hand. Expecting to find he’d actually scraped the skin raw, he brought his left hand close for inspection.

He quickly closed his eyes to avoid the heavy droplets that splattered his face as he struggled onto his side to get a better look at a hand slick with dark blood. Wiping his palm along his shirtsleeve made him wince with pain. He forced suddenly unfocused eyes to concentrate on the task as he brought his wand close.

“Lumos!” he muttered under his breath to conserve the extra energy needed for wordless incantations.

The thick blood was deeply red in the light but still running too freely to see much of anything. With a cleansing spell vaguely remembered from his days recuperating in the Infirmary, the sparkle of glass could be distinguished before the jagged wound pooled with blood once more.

Scrambling to the hearth, he found a smattering of shards amid a glass eye-dropper which was remarkably intact. The liquid inside tumbled in an ever-shifting kaleidoscope of color as it caught the wand tip’s low light.

No wonder the medicine bottled was tinted in darkest amber; the contents leapt into life once exposed to the light. Too much light and the effectiveness would be diluted before it could be put to good use.

Great dragon’s spawn! The glass bits in his hand had been coated with the stuff. A hallucinogen that can induce coma or even death in uncontrolled quantities. He’d read the warnings on the label a thousand times, even succumbed to taking a small measure of the stuff when it was unavoidable.

How quickly would it absorb into his bloodstream, his brain wondered disjointed as he feverishly used his wand to lift and discard the glass particles that had ground themselves into his skin. There were hundreds, it seemed, as he worked with barely contained mania.

He stopped when he could no longer focus. Such a constant drain on his magical stores made him dizzy. He’d take a short breather and then resume, he vowed.

Remus rested his head against the slip-covered armchair that flanked the hearth. It was peacefully quiet in the derelict rooms as he closed his eyes to better appreciate the slow, steady beat of his heart. As soon as his breathing matched the relaxed rhythm, he slowly opened his eyes once more.

His surroundings had changed in troubling ways. The small slits near the ceiling had darkened to a deep blue but the walls seemed to be glowing from within. The candle brackets mocked him with their dark pupils as the implements on the wall danced with menace. Focusing his concentration, he established that he was not in a disused torture chamber despite the collection of blunt rugby paraphernalia and cricket gear. If he opened that locked trunk, would he find a spent Quidditch set or badminton equipment? The upright soldiers in the corner clearly belonged to a croquet set. The shelves of severed heads were nothing more than an assortment of game balls.

He calmed himself with the utter ordinariness of his surroundings, even if he had no idea where he was.

“Why not try a Locator Spell?” Sirius suggested. Remus looked up into the smiling grey eyes of his friend who was sprawled atop the slipcovers. “Didn’t see me walk in, did you?”

“Not really,” Remus stammered in a dull, raspy voice, thick from disuse.

“Here, hand me your wand. The Azkaban guards took mine.”

Remus didn’t stop to think that the Order had secured Sirius a new wand once he’d been established at Grimmauld Place. Wordlessly, he placed his wand in Sirius’ colorless hand.

Ignoring the blood splatters, Sirius balanced the wand in his palm and mumbled words in a language Remus didn’t recognize. The wand swung in one direction and then the other, then spiraled in lazy circles in Sirius’ outstretched hand.

“See, Moony, the answer’s obvious.”

Remus turned questioning eyes upward. “I don’t understand.”

“Should have taken a more careful look at those books we nicked from the Restricted Section,” James opined as he rested a hand on the chair back.

“James?” Remus cried in confusion.

“Please, I prefer ‘Prongs’ when it’s just us,” James reminded him.

“Then we’re not at number twelve?” Remus considered as he implored each face in turn.

“Course not,” James replied. “You would’ve recognized those rooms. Even in their refurbished state. Great idea for a museum, by the way.”

“Harry came up with that,” Remus stammered. “Your son.”

“You’ve become quite an influence in his life; I dare say he’s more likely to think of you as his father,” James extolled.

“James…I never…”

“Or his godfather, even,” Sirius gently interjected. “It’s what Lily intended, you know. She always thought you were better parenting material than I.”

“Have I died and gone straight to some dusty Purgatory?” Remus moaned.

“No,” James laughed heartily as if Remus had made a great joke.

“Leave it to Moony,” Sirius added as he came up for air. “His idea of Purgatory would be a perpetually dusty room.”

“Put your mind at ease,” James cajoled. “House-elves go to Purgatory, too.”

“Now you’ll just make him think you’ve been there personally,” Sirius berated James. Turning his attention directly to Remus, he proposed, “If anyone should know about Purgatory, it’s me. All those years living with the Black legacy tied like a millstone around my neck.”

“And even at number twelve, there was a house-elf,” James cut across. “Kreacher. Creepy little wanker, but certainly up to Mrs. Black’s aristocratic standards.” With a cheeky grin at Sirius, he concluded, “I rest my case.”

“Prongs here has these unfulfilled illusions that he should have studied magical law,” Sirius exclaimed. “Hasn’t won an argument with Lily yet. She’s the true barrister in the family.”

“Can I have my wand back?” Remus implored. He balanced it in his uninjured hand, palm open to the ceiling. The nonsensical words rose unbidden to his lips as the wand swung in a slow circle.

“Similar results.”

“That confirms it then.”

“Confirms what? My mind’s a bit foggy with the full moon and all,” Remus admitted.

“Why it’s obvious, mate,” Sirius leaned over to confide. “You’re underground.”

“Nowhere to go but up,” James concurred.

“Then why doesn’t the confounded thing just point up?” Remus argued.

“Perhaps it would under other circumstances,” James allowed.

“But I had to use a special charm to counteract the Unplottable Spell encased in the bedrock,” Sirius advised.

It took Remus a few extra seconds before the implications hit home. “We’re at Hogwarts?”

“Knew you’d get it, Moony,” Sirius supplied with the crooked grin that so charmed the ladies.

“I’d rethink that conclusion about this not being Purgatory, though,” James added. “I think that’s Kreacher I see scuttling along the skirting board.”

There was the barest whisper of movement, certainly not enough to disturb a man intent on reliving the golden days of his youth. By the time Remus glanced over his shoulder, he was face to face with the fathomless eyes of the behemoth. With James’ last words echoing inside his skull, the murky dragon in the corner rose up and swallowed him whole.






“He’s not there, either,” Crabbe announced darkly.

“But we found this.” Goyle produced the small pot of Floo Powder. “Still on the side table as if someone has been in too much of a hurry to return it to its proper spot on the mantle.”

“Don’t you go telling me that’s where you always keep it!” Umbridge scowled as she pointed to everyone in turn. “Children are too apt to play in it if it’s not kept out of their reach.”

“So?” Ginny countered as she stuck out her lip mulishly.

At Umbridge’s sharp blink of surprise, Harry elaborated, “And just what would happen if someone played with the Floo Powder? Other than a finely ground mess, that is.”

Zeroing in on Harry, Umbridge sneered, “Well, it’s obvious you grew up in a Muggle household.” Rounding on Ginny, she continued, “And that ragtag family of yours apparently couldn’t afford Floo Powder in favor of putting food on the table. Isn’t that so, Miss Weasley?”

“It’s Potter!” Ginny growled. “Harry and I are married.”

“Of course, dear,” Umbridge allowed with an incongruent titter. “Your lot can’t wait to breed like rabbits!”

The jeering laughter from Crabbe and Goyle was enough to get Tonks’ back up. “Really, Dolores. There’s no need to take out your spinsterish frustrations on poor Ginny here.”

“Spoken like a true scion of the Black legacy,” Umbridge responded. “I’ve always known the Black women were ambitions; but really, duckie, you’re supposed to wear your fur coat, not marry it.”

A sharp cough from Goyle drew everyone’s attention to his slack features. “Um, Madam Umbridge, ma’m. The powder hadn’t quite settled in the pot when we found it.”

“It’s likely someone may have escaped through the bedroom hearth,” Crabbe finished as he strained to stand as tall as his colleague’s shoulder. “This entire house is riddled with fireplaces.”

“Why does that surprise you?” Umbridge snapped. “A grand old house like this. Wouldn’t we have seen a lilac puff from this very hearth behind us, though? Surely they wouldn’t have overlooked the warning system.” She looked to her hosts huddled together on the sofa for corroboration.

“Couldn’t say,” Ginny issued with zest. “My family grew up in a one-room. We had only one chimney to share between us.”

Before Umbridge had time to react, Tonks interjected smoothly, “The house was in poor condition when it came into our possession. With so many renovations, it’s difficult to say what sort of features may have been overlooked.”

It was a smooth enough response, if one considered that Umbridge was unlikely to be familiar with wizard building codes. Harry, on the other hand, was wholly certain that it had been Dobby’s unique magic which had allowed Remus and the children to escape unnoticed.

Umbridge took a moment to consider her next move. “Well, Lupin’s bound to come back before bedtime. We’ll just have to be his welcoming committee. Don’t just stand there like overwrought statues!” she flared at her assistants. “Brew us a pot of tea in the kitchen. Maybe some biscuits from the cupboard.”

Tonks issued a massive sight from Harry’s right. It was going to be an extraordinarily long night.
Thirty-Two: Let the Pieces Fall by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Thirty-Two
Let the Pieces Fall



The sharp report of his heels against the polished floors gave his smoldering anger a measure of satisfaction. The startled students who bled into the shadows, even more so.

Let the snogging couples who had been seduced by the fulsome moon slink shamefully away; Snape was not in the mood to adjust House points this evening. A bit of intimidation by their superiors never did anyone any harm, he justified silently.

Tiny sparks of sinister fireworks accompanied his steps as he ascended the stone stairs spiraling up to the Headmistress’ office. He barely allowed a response to his sharp knock before striding inside.

Resisting the urge to sling the despicable object on the massive desk before him, he settled for flinging his long limbs into the adjoining chair. Turning eyes like thunderclouds to Minerva’s expectant expression, he gingerly placed the loathsome pink thing before him. He eased it before the Headmistress with the tip of his wand in order to avoid further contamination.

“Contraband!” he issued darkly.

“I can see that. Mobile phones won’t work inside Hogwarts’ walls,” she replied in a conciliatory tone. “It’s nothing more than a status symbol.” Holding it up by the long cord, she added, “Can’t you consider it an overly tasteless neck medallion and be done with it, Severus? It’s just a fad.”

“Not this one,” he snarled menacingly. “Some over-achieving miscreant reconfigured its internal organs to render it operable. In part, at least.”

With tightly controlled fury, he sent a spark of magic to light the damnable device from within. By its unearthly blue glow, Minerva adjusted the square frames of her spectacles to decipher the tiny lettering.

“It’s a conversation of sorts,” she mused. “Who’s Osiris?”

Snape glowered even more darkly than before. “Who do you think? I don’t do nicknames, Minerva.”

“No, of course not,” she agreed with the barest twitch to her pursed lips.

“I’m not one to invite such familiarity,” he rumbled, deciding to omit the names of those colleagues who, unwisely, did otherwise.

“No one asked you to.”

“It’s the fault of that revolting display of Slytherin hospitality…”

“Now, Severus, don’t overreact. If the party hadn’t been such a resounding success, no one would’ve ever come to associate you with such a deity. Consider it a compliment.”

“I can’t punish them unless they say it to my face, in other words.”

“Even then, a simple correction should be sufficient. No one’s ever been assigned detention for employing a nickname unless it was intended as an insult. Same goes for using someone’s given name.”

“I’ve never suffered such cheek in my classes!”

“Did this occur during class? Or later in the corridors?”

“Who rightly knows?” He threw up his hands in exasperation. “The ruddy contraption stores things in memory.”

“Then unless you catch the student entering the data before your eyes, we will have to assume it occurred outside of class.”

“Fine!” he spat. “I’m still confiscating the object as contraband.”

“That’s your right, as is deducting House points.” At his blank expression, she pressed, “You did deduct points -- or did you find the object just lying about?”

“I took it from Samantha Helmbright as she tittered outside the Common Room.”

“I see. She’s in Slytherin, isn’t she?”

“A regular trouble-maker, nonetheless.”

“A rather ingenious student to have circumvented the magical currents within the castle,” Minerva goaded him with barely contained amusement.

“Are you suggesting I reward her instead? What sort of a message does that send?”

Minerva sighed in resignation. It was likely that Samantha was just trying to locate Severus’ sense of humor. The Gryffindors did it to Remus all the time; he just pranked them back in ingenious, and often embarrassing, ways and everyone got a good laugh at the perpetrator’s expense.

“I trust you to take action as you see fit, Severus. Just don’t turn this toy over to Mr. Filch, I beg you. These gadgets are rather expensive and her parents are likely to raise a fuss. Confiscate it until the start of summer break and then warn her that she’s not to bring it back with her in the fall.”

“Spell out the dire consequences,” he promised.

“In as much glorious -- or inglorious “ detail as you wish. I suggest you locate her cohorts before you set any detentions, though. A conversation requires at least two to flourish. Based upon the different colors, I would wager at least four or five students were involved.”

“How do you suggest I crack this sordid ring? They all use aliases.”

“You could ask Miss Helmbright.” At his derisive snort, she amended, “Consider it a deductive puzzle of sorts, then. Surely a cadre of adolescents is no match for a man of your intellect.”

His indignant cry was cut short by a giraffe Patronus galloping across Minerva’s desk. It mutely lowered its silvery head to indicate a private communication.

“If you’ll just excuse me, Severus. I won’t be a moment,” the Headmistress implored as she briskly side-stepped into the adjoining reading room. She returned with a worried frown.

“Trouble at the Lupin residence?” he asked as she hovered near the gilded fireplace.

“We’ll soon see,” she concurred. “That was a request to open a private Floo connection.”

“Are we to expect his head to pop into the flames or his entire body to materialize?”

“I’m not rightly sure,” she admitted. What worried her most was the hurried tone in Remus’ voice that had slurred the words together almost to the point of being unintelligible. “Under a full moon, it can’t be anything good.”

Severus nodded as his obsidian eyes lost much of the fire the mobile phone situation had ignited. “I’ll give you some privacy then.”

“Please, Severus!” She caught him by the arm before he could sweep back down the stairs. “I’d rather you stay. If nothing else, to keep an old woman from worrying needlessly.”

“You’re thinking he may be having an adverse reaction to his course of treatment?” he posed.

“It could be anything!” she answered, her voice quavering slightly with emotion. “That interview with Fenrir Greyback…”

“An identity that is not public knowledge,” he stressed. “Nor is Lupin’s behind-the-scenes involvement.”

“It wouldn’t take much to determine that Ginny works for the WWN.”

“A labyrinthine organization that does not disclose its sources.”

“And then there’s the children,” she fretted.

“Minerva.” He allowed his rich voice to linger over the syllables until he had her undivided attention. “Lupin is a surprisingly cool character when he needs to be.”

“You’re right, Severus. It’s not like he’s deviated from the emergency plan.”

“The fact that said emergency plan exists shows that he’s prepared for any eventuality. Trust in his abilities.”

But as the minutes ticked closer and closer to the half hour, it was clear that things were no longer progressing according to the master plan.

“He should have been here by now!” Minerva insisted as she jumped to her feet with feline agility.

“Agreed. Any other fireplace where he could have emerged?”

“Thousands along the length of the Floo Network.”

“How many within the castle proper?” Snape clarified.

“Oh.” Her eyes blinked rapidly beneath a forehead creased with anxiety. “Perhaps as many as forty or fifty.”

“Then I suggest we begin by searching the castle.”

“That could take hours --”

“Only if we’re daft enough to do it ourselves!” he cried, employing her own vernacular.

“I don’t want to set the school in an uproar about an essentially private issue,” she warned.

“Then don’t. Command the army at your disposal.” At her blank expression, he emphasized, “The house-elves!”

With dawning realization, she leapt into action. Within moments, the elves had scurried off to the areas that were most familiar to each of them.

At Snape’s insistence, she resumed her seat and stared morosely into the empty hearth. Snape perched himself on the corner of the desk, his eyes drawn to the purple veins lining the backs of the Headmistress’ papery hands. Her strength of character had only intensified with age, he reminded himself.

The seconds ticked by with determined slowness as eternity beckoned rife with dire possibilities.

With a sharp crack that startled them both, an elderly elf materialized at knee level. “Begging your pardon, honored Headmistress,” he volunteered in a gravelly bass. “Kreacher has found him.”

“Where?”

“The Games Mistress’ quarters. They’ve been all but abandoned since Madam Hooch assumed other duties.”

“It’s faster by Floo,” Minerva proposed only to find the elf blocking the hearth with his bony arms outstretched.

“Not this time,” Kreacher warned solemnly. “There’s dangerous bits of glass everywhere.”

“What about blood? Is the professor injured?” Minerva peered into the elf’s protuberant eyes.

“Get Madam Pomfrey, Kreacher,” Snape ordered. “Come, Minerva. I know a short-cut.” He didn’t add that it had been Lupin and his band of reprobates who had led him on a merry chase down that very route many years before.








One look at the unfocused eyes and clammy skin and Poppy feared the worst. The erratic pulse was much too weak for a man of his build.

“Do I need to brew up an antidote?” Snape volunteered.

“Not yet,” Poppy insisted. “It’s likely to throw him into a state we’re not prepared to handle. If necessary, we’ll have to wait until the moon sets.”

“But that’s hours --” Minerva began to protest.

“Which is why I’d like to approach this differently,” Poppy stressed. “It might be best to determine why the blood won’t stop flowing on his hand.”

“Any ideas what was in that bottle he broke?” Minerva directed her soft words to Kreacher.

“No, Mistress. Nothing’s intact but the eye-dropper.”

“An unlabeled potion of sorts?” Severus mused. “Lupin doesn’t strike me as the recreational use type.”

“Sweet Merlin and his cohorts!” Poppy gasped. “Could it be the elixir I prescribed to counteract his side-effects?”

Snape peered at the coruscating colors remaining within the eye-dropper. Even by the wall brackets in the Hospital Wing, he could see that their luminosity was quickly fading. “If this is the narcotic that I think it is, there’s no known antidote. Lupin will just have to work his way through his own mind-maze in due course… How much would you say that bottle contained?”

“Not more than an ounce or two,” Poppy estimated as she coaxed another mouthful of Reviving Draught down Remus’ throat. His body twitched slightly, but his eyelids remained resolutely shut.

“And it likely wasn’t full,” Minerva put forth as she rejoined them.

Poppy nodded solemnly. “He actually succumbed to taking his medication on occasion. When he couldn’t work out a reasonable alternative.”

Snape concurred with a slight frown. “The obstinacy of a man who doesn’t wish to contaminate his body. I’m well aware of Lupin’s view on these matters; he’d likely eschew Wolfsbane if it wasn’t his only way to fit in with society’s demands.”

Minerva briefly hesitated in her restless pacing. “You think he’s fighting the effects internally?”

“If he’s able,” Poppy interjected. “A man floating on a cloud isn’t likely to put up much resistance.”

“When has Lupin ever been that amenable?” Snape growled.

At Minerva’s initial shock, Poppy capitulated, “He’s likely right, Minerva. The child who succumbed to my ministrations is now an adult who resents being fussed over.”

Minerva sighed in frustration. “I just received a Patronus from Arthur advising me that Teddy and Phoebe are anxious to see their father. They suddenly arrived by Floo at the Burrow, alone and unescorted, with a vague notion that their father was following. Minutes later, Remus sent his giraffe advising that he’d been detained at Hogwarts.”

“No indication of what prompted such rash action?” Severus asked pointedly.

“Perhaps Arthur can tell us more when he arrives. I opened a Floo connection to the Burrow as well.”

“It won’t ease their worries to see their father like this,” Poppy warned as she tipped a bit more of the draught past colorless lips. She applied her attention to changing the scarlet soaked dressing on Remus’ hand. “Finally, the blood vessels are beginning to contract. Soon I’ll be able to magically knit the skin.”

Jerking to his feet, Snape announced, “I’m going to find out what’s going on at Godric’s Hollow. Where’s the slip of paper from the Secret-Keeper, Minerva?”

“Is that wise?” the Headmistress cautioned. “You don’t know what you’ll encounter.”

Severus started fastening the long row of buttons on his black frock coat. “He came to us for assistance and I, for one, intend to render it to the best of my capacity.”

“Us, too,” Ron’s voice announced from the swinging door he held open for his wife to enter.

“But none of you know what the situation calls for,” Minerva argued.

“Some initiative, would be my first guess,” Hermione ventured with aplomb.

“I didn’t request any back-up,” Snape protested as his eyes quickly scanned the purple ink which read: The Lupin and Potter residence can be found at Marauder House in Godric’s Hollow.

“Perhaps, not,” Hermione allowed. “But neither Ron nor I are prepared to sit this one out.”

“Surely, you understand, Professor,” Ron added with a determined glare. “Harry’s been my best mate for years.”

“I’ll expect you to follow orders without argument,” Snape stipulated. “And no one else is tagging along. Stealth must be our closest ally.”

“Absolutely,” Hermione agreed.

Ron nodded vigorously as he took the slip of paper from the Headmistress’ hand.

“I still wish you knew what you were stepping into,” Minerva maintained.

“Perhaps there’s a way,” Snape considered as his dark shape swept to Lupin’s beside. “If I may?”

Poppy backed away uncertainly as Snape grabbed Remus’ shoulder with a firm hand. “Must you always be a thorn in my backside, Lupin?” Snape’s menacing tone so close to the ear made the other man jerk uncertainly. “If you don’t take heed of what Poppy is trying to accomplish, you’re going to make my Wolfsbane formula unfit to market!”

Much to the affronted matron’s surprise, Remus eyes snapped open. Focusing on Snape to the exclusion of everything else, he retorted hotly, “My children are at the end of an anonymous Floo somewhere, AND YOU’RE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR BOTTOM LINE?”

“Thank you, Severus. That should do quite nicely,” Poppy confirmed as she resumed her place at Remus’ bedside.

Hermione barely kept her smirk from drawing Snape’s attention as Ron mouthed the words, “That man has an unparalleled ability to get under people’s skin.”

“Just heard from Molly,” Minerva announced as a wispy beaver Patronus sublimated into the wall. “She’ll bring the children here as soon as you’re stabilized, Remus. It won’t help them to see you in such a right state.”

“One last thing, Lupin,” Snape urged. “What will we find at Godric’s Hollow?”

“Umbridge…Werewolf Capture…” Remus managed with sweat breaking out across his brow. “Only the children and I were able to escape.”

“Can you recommend an incursion route?”

Remus nodded with haunted eyes. “Upstairs hearth. They checked that first. Tonks and the rest were cornered in the main drawing room.”

Snape gave a curt acknowledgment as he straightened his shirt cuffs with grim determination.

“Don’t do anything rash, Severus,” the Headmistress cautioned as she scurried to his side. “That woman…is …a scourge on humanity.”

With a singularly unsettling smile, Snape responded, ‘Let’s just say Dolores and I have some unfinished business. Since she had the temerity to question my suitability to conduct a Potions lesson, it’s time I returned the favor.”

“Take the lift up to my office,” Minerva offered. “It’s closest.”

In a voice clearly winded from his earlier outburst, Remus croaked, “If you just whisper Dobby’s name, he’ll give you the lay of the land.”

“The house-elf?” Snape muttered in disbelief.

“Our secret weapon,” Remus corrected.

“All right, Lupin. Let’s hope you’re not as delusional as that statement sounds.”

Without further dalliance, Snape spun on his heel and motioned for Ron and Hermione to follow. “Ms. Granger…” he held out his hand expectantly.

Hermione looked up sheepishly from the mobile phone she held in her hands. “Sorry, is this yours? I didn’t think pink was your color.”

“It isn’t. I confiscated it from a misguided…”

Their voices faded as the doors to the private lift closed behind them.

“I’d give anything to be a doxie on those drapes,” Minerva admitted to no one in particular.

“Bother that!” Poppy exclaimed. “I’d like to come out swinging!”






It seemed like it was only seconds later that the golden doors to the lift opened soundlessly once again. Framed within, Spook’s small silhouette took in his surroundings in the Hospital Wing with wide eyes.

A long row of empty beds stretched the length of the room like starched fingers, but Teddy instantly focused on the image of his father. Propped up between the familiar figures of the Head-Minnie and Miss Poppy-Flower, his father caught sight of him and immediately opened his arms in a welcoming gesture. The whispered conversations ceased as Teddy flung his small body atop the mattress with abandon.

“Mindful of the hand,” Remus cautioned through an incandescent grin. At his son’s worried look, he added, “Tripped like a right berk, I did.”

Teddy returned a similar smile then cuddled up against his father’s chest. Remus looked up to see Arthur approaching the bed, an indistinct bundle in his arms. But before he could ask after his daughter, Poppy leapt to her feet and made as if to shoo Arthur away.

“What’s the meaning of this, I say?” she decried. “Animals are not allowed within the Infirmary!”

“If you’ll just give me a moment --” Arthur began only to be cut across immediately.

“Shall I send for Hagrid?” Poppy persisted.

“Not really,” Arthur resumed. “Teddy insists the bunny belongs to him.”

Rising regally to her feet, Minerva approached Arthur with outstretched hands. “Here, let me see,” she crooned to the docile black and white rabbit which instantly nestled against her. “Teddy won’t mind, will he?”

Teddy shook his head but kept his eyes glued on the Headmistress nonetheless.

“What a lovely bunny you are,” Minerva coaxed softly.

“Really, Minerva!” Poppy protested with an imperious hand on her hip. “Think of the germs…”

Pointing his wand squarely between the rabbit’s eyes, Arthur intoned, “Scourgify!”

“See, that’s all better,” Minerva continued in a soothing tone. “Can’t we make an exception this time, Poppy? There’s no one else in the Hospital Wing to complain.”

“Fine,” Poppy replied curtly as she peered suspiciously into the bunny’s blinking eyes. “Seems healthy enough “ on the surface. Keep it away from Remus’ hand, though; the skin hasn’t totally finished healing beneath the bandages.”

Turning his attention from the drama playing out before him, Remus’ eyes twinkled with amusement as he posed, “Where’s Phoebe?”

Arthur rubbed his chin as he stumbled over his reply, “Well, you see…that’s the problem… we can’t seem to find her…”

“What do you mean you can’t find her?” Remus roared. “Did you search your neighbors’ floos?”

“Don’t over-tax yourself,” Poppy ordered as she urged Remus to relax his body back into the pillows.

“I’m sure Arthur has a perfectly good explanation,” Minerva asserted with an expectant lift to her brow.

“I’m not sure I do,” Arthur admitted through a hang-dog expression. “Phoebe arrived with Teddy, make no mistake about that. But one minute she was there among the rest of the family and the next she was gone.”

Remus gave a long-suffering sigh. The exploits of his children were legendary, no doubt about it. Both of them had inherited an innate ability for Stealth and Concealment that would have made the strictest Auror proud. If only they wouldn’t exhibit it at the most inopportune moments.

“Don’t blame yourself, Arthur,” he mollified. “I know what my daughter’s like. The Burrow presents so many handy hidey-holes she probably couldn’t resist.”

“Let’s just hope she’s inside the house,” Molly fretted as she glanced nervously at the moonlight poring past the drawn blinds.

Remus’ veins turned to ice at her simple pronouncement. How could it have slipped his addled brain like that? It was a nightmare in the making, he wailed inwardly, not daring to voice his deepest fears lest he upset Teddy.

Nonetheless, some of the distress must have conveyed itself wordlessly as Molly hurried to his side.

“Don’t worry, we’ll find her,” she whispered as she gazed apprehensively at the sleepy form draped across Remus’ chest. “Bill and the twins are experts at this kind of thing. Makes you wonder how many uncharted adventures they shared in their youth.”








Dobby filled them in with hushed whispers and nervous eyes. A phenomenon that was a bit off-putting, Hermione admitted to herself as she willed her encouraging smile to freeze in place.

As they crept down the back stairs in single file, Umbridge’s voice began to grate on her nerves. She blocked out the annoying background as she concentrated on the objective Snape had assigned to her and Ron: the kitchen.

“Disarm them soundlessly,” Snape ordered in a bare whisper. “If you Stupefy them, the other one of you had better catch the limp body before it crashes to the floor. And do be careful of the unmitigated disaster you’re sure to find. Those two dunderheads can’t pour water out of the tap, let alone brew a pot of tea.”

“Not without Malfoy,” Ron sniggered.

“No more chatter,” Snape hissed as his wand cast the slippery coldness of a Disillusionment Charm down their backs. “This will start to fade in about twenty minutes, so make the most of your time.”

Snape hesitated with his boot suspended in mid-step as Umbridge’s tiresome tirade took an inconvenient detour. How dare she demand her reluctant hosts give her a guided tour of their house! Perhaps he should underscore the polite refusals she seemed unwilling to accept.

With icy determination, he soundlessly retreated up the stairs and into Harry’s master suite once more. Now came the tricky part. It was next to impossible to tumble from one hearth to another within the same house; only the vastness of Hogwarts’ halls allowed for a strictly self-contained version. Perhaps with the proper coaxing, though, Snape pondered as he pinched but a single grain of the sparkling powder on the tip of his fingernail.

The flames barely reflected green for a millisecond as Snape thrust his long body through. Instead of announcing his destination, he turned on his heel and concentrated on Apparating into Lupin’s bedroom hearth. It was no more than a vague impression of slate as he had never properly visited that wing of the house.

With a soundless wave that shook the rafters, he tumbled to the floor to come nose to nose with Phoebe’s stuffed rabbit familiar. Hardly taking in his surroundings, Snape scrambled to his feet and worked his way down the hallway to where the voices echoed from the main portion of the house.






Remus made an instant decision: Boggarts had to be confronted; there was no other way. “I can’t let others assume my responsibilities. She’s my daughter!” he growled lowly.

“You’re in no condition…” Poppy began but trailed off at his fiery look.

Teddy lifted his head and insisted, “Phoebe’s fine. It’s because of the moon, isn’t it?”

Molly flashed a reproachful look as she dreaded that the word 'werewolf' might yet enter Teddy’s vocabulary before the night’s end.

A small, unexpected smile graced Remus’ lips as he softly urged, “And what, pray tell, did your mother tell you about the full moon?”

Without hesitation, Teddy responded, “It’s a lantern that draws all animals. Nice ones as well as those that prey”“

“Predators,” Remus encouraged.

“Pre-tators,” Teddy stumbled over the new word, “that might like to nibble on little children. We stay indoors.”

Remus nodded as he turned a grave face towards the others. “Are you certain Phoebe followed this advice?”

Molly worried the hem of her apron as Arthur spoke up, “Not with absolute certainty. But our property is ringed with protective spells. Bill boosted them the second we discovered she was missing.”

The looks passing between the adults conveyed the same distressing thought: could they have trapped a monster inside the perimeter?

“Tell me what happened,” Remus insisted, ignoring the small frown of disapproval Poppy turned in his direction. “Don’t leave out any details.”

Releasing the rabbit into Teddy’s outstretched hands, Minerva Summoned chairs for the Weasleys.

“I made both children wash their hands first,” Molly elaborated. “Then poured them some pumpkin juice which they both drank.”

“Then Bill and his girls arrived at the back door and there was a mass stampede onto the porch,” Arthur continued. “Noting that the moon was just on the horizon, we urged everyone inside.”

“Just as the screen was banging shut, Teddy dashed outside saying he’d forgotten something,” Molly established. “He returned holding that rabbit as Victoire and Yvette exclaimed to their mother that, ‘See, there are too rabbits in the woods.’ Teddy pulled away if anyone tried to take the bunny from him, so I just let it be. Didn’t seem worth arguing over really.”

“That’s when we got the Patronus saying you’d been detained,” Arthur finished.

“Did anyone see Phoebe on the back porch?” Minerva prompted.

After a shared look, both Arthur and Molly shook their heads ‘no’.

“Does this coincide with your version?” Remus posed as he addressed his son directly.

“Yes, but --”

“The girls flew up the stairs,” Molly interjected. “I assumed they were after the twins, but perhaps not.”

“What if they saw Phoebe waving from one of the landings?” Arthur suggested hopefully.

“That couldn’t have been Phoebe,” Teddy attested. “Rabbit was with me.”

“So she was inside?” Minerva clarified.

At Teddy’s effusive nod, a collective sigh rose from the others.

“Why didn’t I see her then?” Arthur asked as he kneeled to face Teddy at eye level.

Teddy shrugged. “She was right there,” he insisted in a small voice.

“Do you think you can find her for us?” Molly rejoined. “We’ll Floo back to the Burrow…”

“Why?” Teddy posed with a quizzical tilt to his head. “Is Mum finally there?”

Remus ground his teeth in frustration. With great effort, he willed his voice to remain even. “No, Spook. Mum’s still at the house…”

“…one of Harry’s old school acquaintances dropped by unexpectedly,” Minerva added deftly. “I’m certain Ginny recalls her as well.”

“Oh. Won’t they want us to join in with the party?” Teddy suggested.

“I’m sure so,” Remus responded. “But he’d want to introduce the entire family, Phoebe included.”

“Right.” Teddy nodded with a hopeful smile.

With a hint of exasperation, Molly suggested, “I’ll go see how Bill is coming along.”






“What the bloody hell…!” Umbridge cried at the unfamiliar sensation of the air buckling. Her suspicions were calmed as a laden tea tray Levitated across the room to settle on the low table before her. “Ah, there’s the tea!” she announced with a girlish giggle. “Shall I pour?”

“None for me, thanks,” Tonks supplied before she was asked.

“Never cared for the stuff,” Ginny echoed.

“Harry?” Umbridge demanded, beginning to sound a bit shirty.

“Er, sorry,” he stammered. “Having shared my Potions class with those two, I believe I’ll take a pass as well.”

Umbridge stopped with her cup half-way to her lips and glowered at him.

“What a heart-warming tableau,” Snape drawled dangerously as he leaned against the doorway leading from the Lupin wing. “One would almost think you were friends if one discounted the fireworks coming from Tonks’ hair.”

Umbridge’s cup rattled ominously in its saucer as she blindly placed in on the table before her.

“Why, Severus. Where did you come from?”

Voice dripping with sarcasm, Snape replied, “If it’s a lecture about the reproductive functions of wizarding society, I’m hardly an expert.”

Rounding on Harry, Umbridge railed, “I thought you said you weren’t expecting any visitors this evening.”

“Changed my mind at the last moment,” Snape supplied as he eased himself into everyone’s field of vision. No sense having others strain their necks just to tune into the floor show. “Did I arrive at an inopportune moment?”

Quickly recovering, Umbridge hissed, “Still haven’t succeeded in poisoning the students, have you, Severus?”

“They’re a resistant bunch of ingrates. Surely you remember that from your attempts to poison their minds.”

Harry chewed the inside of his cheek as a vein on Umbridge’s thick throat began to throb.

“You still haven’t adequately explained your presence!” Umbridge insisted.

“No?” Snape replied as he brazenly helped himself to a goblet of red wine. “Clearly I was issued an invitation from the Secret-Keeper or I wouldn’t have been able to penetrate the Fidelius shroud. Why do I sense that you arrived otherwise?”

“I’m here in an official capacity!” Umbridge bristled as she took a measured sip of tea. “The least you could do is offer refreshment to the others.”

“An exercise in futility. To wit: Tonks dislikes anything but white wine, Harry prefers the port on which he was weaned, and as for --”

“I prefer lemonade,” Ginny asserted. “A bit of tartness to counteract the sticky sweetness.”

Before Umbridge could react to the insolent look flashed in her direction, Snape interjected coolly, “Didn’t anyone ever chastise you for holding your hosts at bay? With their own wands, no less.”

“Wands away, children,” Ginny echoed in a pitch-perfect imitation of their despised Dark Arts lessons.

“I should’ve set you lines along with Potter, Missy,” Umbridge snarled as the plate of untouched biscuits teetered on the tray before her. “Or would I have found the two of you blithely inking obscenities upon each other’s naked skin?”

Unfazed, Snape warned, “I believe I speak for all when I protest being subjected to your sexual fantasies.”

Harry barely restrained himself from snidely insinuating that she save that for another occasion “ when she was alone. But he hadn’t Snape’s audacity, not by any means. He and Ginny would just have to laugh about it later.

“As for your former students,” Snape issued, “I’m fairly certain they’ve had enough of your dominatrix ways.”

“Such a caustic tongue, Severus,” Umbridge hissed as she slowly rose to her feet. “I would be doing the world a favor by sheathing it permanently.”

“You can try,” Snape taunted as he closed in with blanched palms held up to emphasize that he was unarmed.

“I can report you for not submitting to an official visit,” she cautioned as her pudgy fingers closed over the wands in her possession.

Snape tossed his hair with disdain. “As an outside visitor, I’m not bound by those rules. Later you can accuse me of being an inhospitable boor; no one will challenge your allegations.”

With a snarl, Umbridge lunged as magic ricocheted wildly about the room. The chandelier over the dining table exploded, sending slivers of glass raining down upon hastily covered heads. In a blur of motion, Snape had his own wand in hand and shot an unfamiliar spell towards the Toad Woman’s fist. With a muttered curse, she dropped the bundled wands and backed away, eyeing them warily as one would a poisonous viper.

Snape issued a sinister chuckle worthy of the Dark Lord himself. “Really, Dolores,” he sneered languidly, “for someone who claims to have taught defensive skills, you show remarkably little regard for incompatible magical mixtures.”

In a mere heartbeat, he issued a terse “Vidris Reparo!” and the iridescent shards coalesced into crystal pendulums once more. A small twist of his wrist and the entire fixture re-attached itself to the ceiling, only the slightest sway to indicate it had been displaced.

With a derisive curl to his lip, Snape handily tucked his wand up his sleeve and called for a stalemate. “Clearly, you’ve already imposed on these people enough, Dolores.”

“I’m not leaving without the werewolf!” Umbridge insisted with all the emphasis of a mewling infant.

“And as we’ve told you before,” Tonks issued through wooden lips, “there is no werewolf here.”

“Of course, he’s not here,” Umbridge snapped. “What conversational skills does a werewolf possess?”

“If you’d ever engaged in a battle of wits with Remus, you wouldn’t say that,” Ginny stipulated.

“Perhaps I should make a cursory search myself,” Umbridge decided as she made a wide circle around the discarded wands which lay in her path.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Hermione spoke up sweetly from the kitchen doorway. “Since you’re no longer employed by the Ministry, you could be considered a trespasser.”

“Not when I’m accompanied by members of the Capture Unit,” Umbridge growled. “You really should check the bylaws of your own Department, girl.”

“Oh, I did,” Hermione crooned as she stepped aside to allow Umbridge to see the Stunned figures of Crabbe and Goyle leaning drunkenly against the window seat.

“Indisposed would be my guess,” Ron announced from the other side of the room, effectively blocking Umbridge’s escape route in that direction as well.

“You didn’t really think those two idiots prepared the tea, did you?” Snape suggested to the impotent fury on Umbridge’s face. “Surely you recall from previous attempts to educate them that they share the same tired brain cells they keep passing back and forth between the two of them.”

“Or you would have, if you’d actually attempted to teach instead of babysit,” Hermione emphasized.

“I have to wonder, Madam, what the consensus would’ve been if your lessons had been inspected,” Snape dared.

“A teacher who says such things is likely to find himself before an empty classroom,” Umbridge threatened as she folded her meaty arms across her chest.

“Not that it wouldn’t have been preferable to your non-lessons,” Ron dismissed.







“Teddy, you’re trying your father’s patience,” Poppy provided with a stern look.

“No, I’m not,” he countered matter-of-factly.

“Let’s go over the facts: you know where Phoebe is.” At Teddy’s nod, Remus raised his little finger. “She’s not outside.” The ring finger joined the other. “She’s safe from predators.” Third finger. “Will Molly find her?”

“Not at the Burrow,” Teddy maintained with a stubborn set to his jaw.

“Will she be happy to meet Harry’s visitor?”

Teddy stopped to think for a moment then admitted, “I’m not sure about the last part. You’d have to ask her. She’s probably wondering where her supper is.”

Minerva smiled graciously. “Of course. Why don’t I order a plate of sandwiches for all of us? That should lure Phoebe out of hiding.”

As soon as Minerva was out of earshot, Remus leveled a steely look at his son. “Riddle time is over; you win. Where’s Rabbit?”

Nonplussed, Teddy handed the furry parcel into his father’s arms.

“Not this rabbit! Your sister “ who goes by that nickname!” Remus hissed.

“But it’s the same thing!” Teddy declared.

“Spook, how can you confuse a rabbit with a little girl?” Arthur gave him a piercing look.

As Teddy turned imploring eyes towards his father, Remus felt the universe jolt in the most unsettling manner. “Are you trying to tell us that the rabbit and little girl get themselves mixed up on their own?”

“You definitely took too much of that medication,” Poppy announced as she wove her fingers around the soft black and white fur to feel for Remus’ pulse.

“What will it take for us to see the truth as you see it?” Remus posed, focusing exclusively on his son.

“When she feels accepted,” Teddy answered. “Fear makes her retreat.”

To a man who had spent the better part of his life seeking the approval of others, it made perfect sense. “Then come cuddle next to me,” Remus told his son as he scooted the covers back.

Arthur and Poppy watched in awe as Remus spoke softly to the bunny he cradled in his arms as Teddy stroked the long, velvety ears that were stretched along its back. They couldn’t help being drawn to the heart-warming scene between father and son “ even if they could make no sense of their actions.






“Fine!” Umbridge spat. “If you won’t turn over the werewolf, then tell me where I can find him! By your smug expression, Severus, it’s obvious you know.”

“Lupin’s at Hogwarts, but you’re not likely to be invited past those gates,” Snape volunteered. “He’s being treated for a cut on his hand.” At the worried looks from the sofa, he added, “A mere scratch, I assure you.”

“Only a knucklehead like that half-breed, Hagrid, would tend to a werewolf during the full moon,” Umbridge harrumphed. “Compassion for all beasts and even less brain power.”

“I hate to disillusion you…” Snape’s attitude clearly conveyed he didn’t. “…but Lupin’s in the Hospital Wing.”

“So the intrepid matron bandaged his little paw and tucked him into his den,” Umbridge surmised. “I should’ve realized he was on the Wolfsbane regimen.”

“Perhaps we should just let Dolores show up at the school,” Harry put forth. “The Headmistress surely remembers the Stunners that were sent her way.”

“Although Hagrid’s not likely to comprehend her unintelligible squeals to unlock the gates,” Ron goaded.

Suddenly on alert, Umbridge’s eyes narrowed as she surveyed the intractable faces surrounding her. “Why are you so anxious that I leave? What would I find at Hogwarts?”

“Being a gentleman, I will ignore the first,” Snape drawled.

“As to the second, you’d find your objective,” Hermione promised. “Although not curled up on the rug as you expect.”

“An un-housebroken cur should be sent to the paddock,” Umbridge concurred.

Snape sighed dramatically as he finished his last swallow of wine. “At the risk of haunting your nightmares, you’ll find Lupin retains his humanity in spite of the moon. Not in an allegorical sense, but literally.”

“Such a thing isn’t possible!” Umbridge decried. “If you’d discovered a cure, your trumpet section would have announced it to the world!”

“Not a cure,” Tonks admitted. “A different method of treatment.”

“Why should I believe you?” Umbridge railed.

“Because I, myself, perfected the unique combination that keeps the more debilitating effects of lycanthropy at bay,” Snape volunteered with quiet dignity.

“You’d revolutionize the world…” Umbridge protested.

“Only a very small, insignificant portion of it,” Snape clarified. “Not much of a market share to make or break my enterprise. Might undermine some of the more ingrained prejudices, though.” At Umbridge’s persistent glare, Snape added in a bare whisper, “Or just the stranglehold others possess over the sources of potion ingredients.”

“Something to throw up in the Minister’s face, not mine!” Umbridge rallied. “If you can convince him to take the mickey, that is!” Tossing her head in Hermione’s direction, she growled, “I’m not about to fall for your tall tales, not this time.”

“No, of course not,” Hermione shot back with relish. “You never much rubbed elbows with those you wished to oppress during your days in the Magical Creatures Department.”

“All werewolves are the same dark creatures, aren’t they?” Tonks prompted.

“Like Fenrir Greyback,” Harry finished.

“A singularly unpleasant fellow,” Umbridge snorted. “Another man mired in the throes of post-adolescence is hardly one for the record books. Don’t try to tell me otherwise.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Ron conceded lowly.

“Determined to see evil intentions beneath every olive branch we held out to him,” Umbridge retorted.

“Jaded by experience, I warrant,” opined Snape.

“What did he know of good or evil?” Umbridge emphasized. “How dare he compare the Ministry with Voldemort’s forces and decry that there was no difference!”

“Because that’s how he saw it. A puppet by any other name…” Snape drew her out.

“How can one negotiate with such a beast?” she argued.

“See, that’s your error right there: assuming that Greyback speaks for other werewolves,” Snape objected. “His ego thrusts his cruel face into the limelight, but that’s it. He may envision himself as the werewolf Messiah, but it’s a self-aggrandizing delusion.”

Tonks took up the thread. “Like any other segment of the population, werewolves are individuals. Each unique and as much unlike the other as humanly possible. But it’s not an organized group. Despite attempts to the contrary, Greyback hasn’t realized his dark dreams of domination.”






By the time Minerva arrived Levitating the supper tray before her, Remus had his daughter securely embraced in his arms. His fingers joined Teddy’s as they stroked her long, straw-colored hair.

“She was there all along!” Arthur marveled.

“Well, I never…” Poppy began only to swallow the sudden lump in her throat. She held out a tentative hand to touch Phoebe’s arm and was rewarded with a shy smile.

“Did you know this?” Minerva asked as the pieces fell together before her.

Remus shook his head as his lips curled upward. “The Healers always said it was a possibility…But Animorphmagi are exceedingly rare. The stuff of legend, really.”

“Not with one in your very own family,” Poppy observed.

“What did you call Phoebe?” Teddy inquired with indomitable curiosity. “An Annie Magus?”

“Not quite, Spook. An Animagus is what Harry and I are when we use wands to change into animal shapes.”

“Some master the transformation wandlessly,” Minerva explained. “It takes a lot more energy, but I understand Remus had some school chums who could do it. Am I right about Sirius and James?” she posed.

“Peter never had enough control,” Remus supplied.

“He surprised us in other ways,” Arthur noted dryly.

“So Rabbit is just like you and Harry?” Teddy sought clarification.

“Not really,” Remus extrapolated. “She’s more like you and your mum actually. We can all change clothes and hair color if we study the proper spells, but the two of you manage it as easily as drawing a breath of air. It’s contained within your very essence. It’s the same way for Phoebe.”

“Can she be different animals?” Teddy pressed.

“It’s too soon to tell,” Remus considered. “We’ll just have to wait and see how her magic develops as she grows older. There isn’t a lot known about Animorphmagi.”

“And everyone’s different,” Poppy added softly. “I don’t have to tell you that.”
Thirty-Three: Improvisation by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.





Thirty-Three
Improvisation




Her patience was nearing its end as she fidgeted on the sofa before the Great Toad Queen herself. Granted, Tonks always had extra stores of tolerance for her children; they were just so darned cute, even at their most obstinate. It was yet another way in which they took after their father, she noted fondly.

But when it came to adults, it was a different matter. Tonks hated time-wasters, wastrels, and long-winded bores. Life’s leeches, she called them. And that Umbridge witch was proving to be the worst of the lot -- by far. Just look at her wide body ensconced in that squashy chair as she sipped what had to be her fourth cup of tea!

Why hadn’t Ron or Hermione thought to add some cayenne pepper to the pot? Oh, right, she sighed inwardly, the rest of them might have drunk from it as well.

Severus was doing his best to keep the annoying woman off-kilter, baiting her repeatedly with his scathing form of small talk. But had she gotten the hint that she was unwelcome? Not one bit; just as clueless as ever.

Admittedly, it had been rather amusing at first. Severus’ icy sarcasm putting Dolores on the defensive more often than not. But after a few hours, even that lost its edge. Not that Severus was winding down. Oh no, the dryness in the red wine he preferred had just added tartness to his skewering remarks.

What they really needed was to skewer her literally and roast her odious hide over a roaring campfire. Now that would be satisfying!

Her stomach growled in commiseration, reminding Tonks that the supper hour was long past. The bile rising in her throat did little to whet her appetite, but the herbal tea she’d downed hours ago was pressing upon her.

“Excuse me,” Tonks interjected. “Can we have a bit of a break here? I’m sure we could all stand to stretch our muscles. As for me, I really need to visit the loo.”

Umbridge scowled at her impertinence, but her sickly sweet voice replied, “Of course, dear. It is your home, after all. Though what’s to keep you from shimming out the window when my back is turned?”

A bladder full to bursting, Tonks thought to herself, but wisely kept silent.

Luckily, Snape came to her aid, “Surely you checked that small powder room off the main foyer when you searched the house. Didn’t you, Dolores?” At her curt nod, he suggested, “There are no windows there.”

Tonks couldn’t help thinking that the tiny room was rather like the cupboard under the stairs where Harry had spent much of his childhood, but didn’t complain when Umbridge gave her the go ahead.

Glancing briefly towards the guest towels stacked neatly in the corner, her eyes were arrested by a bit of polished wood peeking out from behind. She hardly dared to breathe as she gingerly extricated her auxiliary wand from the shadows. Thank Merlin for Dobby, she exclaimed silently.

With a quick downbeat, she established a Muffliato Charm before hissing, “Dobby? Can you hear me?”

“Yes, Mistress,” came the disembodied voice. “But Dobby doesn’t venture into the powder room “ not when it’s occupied.”

Tonks couldn’t resist a small chuckle rife with relief. Lifting up her shirt tails to demonstrate she had already re-zipped her jeans, she coaxed, “I’m decent, honest.”

She turned on the water to wash her hands just as the house-elf materialized with a muffled snap at her elbow. His large eyes surveyed her face as he sat atop the small lavatory, short legs dangling before him. “Dobby is at your command,” he stressed, tilting his head to indicate the wand clutched under her arm.

Now that she could access a whole range of magic, a plan of action came to her almost immediately. So Umbridge had not been wholly satisfied with Snape’s explanation of the reconfigured Wolfsbane Potion; otherwise, she would have concluded her raid hours ago. Such single-minded determination in spite of reality could only be countered in one way. She would simply give Umbridge what she wanted “ only then would she consent to leave them blessedly alone. Sometimes the simplest solution was the best.

With instant inspiration, she proposed, “Can you make a commotion outside on the back patio?”

“Of course. But the Master suggested I remain unseen.”

“And so you should. But I need to draw the visitors’ attention to a small demonstration I’m planning.”

Dobby nodded in understanding. “Will the others be aware of your plan?”

Tonks took a moment to consider whether she should ask Dobby to relay the message, but she didn’t want to tempt fate. “Not this time. Their surprise will just make my ruse seem that much more believable.”

“Mistress is very wise and cunning,” Dobby reinforced with a conspiratorial grin.

“Just give me about a quarter hour or so to deflect suspicion. I’ll take my cues from you.”

Dobby Disapparated to his task just as Umbridge’s sharp rap on the bathroom door made Tonks jump and spray water all over the place.

“What’s going on in there?” the strident voice demanded.

Releasing the Muffliato, Tonks quickly secreted the wand beneath her shirt. “Sorry, shy bladder,” she answered. Then to emphasize her point, she flushed the toilet anew.

With a quick swipe at the wet mess with a fresh towel, Tonks opened the door to be confronted by Umbridge’s amphibious glower.

“Not very tidy, are you?” Umbridge remarked tartly as she directed a quick drying spell towards the walls.

Refusing to be chagrined by that vile witch, Tonks assumed her place on the sofa without a backward glance. Sending an update to Remus was just too risky, she concluded. If her Patronus was seen, it would destroy whatever chance she had of ushering the intruders towards the back gate. Best stick to the master plan Remus himself had devised; he’d just dreaded that the monster they’d need to chuck past the perimeter fence would be himself. Once past the borders of the Fidelius Charm, the estate became invisible to anyone who had not been taken into confidence by the Secret-Keeper.

“Anyone else?” Umbridge dared as she waved her wand with displeasure.

Ron and Hermione shook their heads wordlessly.

“No, thanks,” Ginny replied, deciding that she would brave a hex only if she got desperate enough.

“I’m fine,” Harry echoed as he unscrewed the seal on some bottled water. Taking a long swallow, he handed the plastic container to Ginny who passed it on to Tonks.

Better not, Tonks decided as she licked her dry lips. Thirst was preferable to other types of discomfort. She consoled herself with pressing her elbow against the familiar contours of her wand, hoping that with sufficient concentration that contact would be enough to draw forth its magic.








Even though Teddy and Phoebe had been nestled into beds of their own “ “Like right Gryffindors,” Minerva cooed to their delight “ relaxation still eluded Remus. So many thoughts tumbled through his mind that he found it difficult to sort through them with the added distraction of moonlight tickling the walls.

“Children surprise us in the most extraordinary ways,” Poppy commiserated as she handed him yet another draught.

Lost in thought, Remus downed the potion automatically only to have his eyes bulge in shock. “What’s in this ghastly concoction?” he wheezed as smoke threatened to pour from his ears. “Did you add jalapeños to a Pepperup Potion?”

“Don’t be silly,” she scoffed. “Pepperup only works with cold symptoms. I adjusted an Invigoration Draught for your body’s unique needs.”

“It got my attention,” Remus conceded as he Summoned a glass of water as a chaser. “Perhaps some tequila might make it more palatable.”

“I’ll take that under advisement for the next faculty function,” Minerva quipped as she informed him that Auror Department had been alerted. “Moody’s in charge so he’s familiar with the unique challenges presented by the Fidelius Charm.”

“Tonks will release it only when she sees fit,” Remus confirmed with a worried frown. “I wonder what’s taking her so long.”

“Perhaps she’s trying to reason with Dolores and company. A peaceful resolution is always the best.”

“If only it were anyone other than Umbridge!” Remus countered.

“Arthur says that might actually work to your advantage,” Minerva soothed. “She has no real power.”

“But at the same time, Tonks and Harry are limited in what actions they can take against a private citizen.”

“Another reason why a delay might not mean anything.”

Remus nodded. “And if that’s not enough to worry about, there’s Phoebe… This presents a whole new challenge in terms of her day-to-day care, Minerva.”

With a calming smile, the Headmistress reassured, “I’m an Animagus myself, Remus. It’s nothing I can’t handle.”

Gazing into the fathomless black of the Forbidden Forest just visible through the windows, Remus uttered, “In terms of predators alone, a rabbit has legion. What creature feeds on cats in modern-day Britain?”

“Discounting anything during a full moon, how about a rabid Korean chef brandishing a meat cleaver?”

“I was being serious,” Remus complained.

“I know, but you’re overreacting again,” she advised.

Returning from her rounds, Poppy whispered, “Surely you recall the Bowtruckle Incident.”

The Bowtruckle Incident, of course.

It all made perfect sense when he looked back on it now. Their explanations must have seemed dodgy to the intrepid matron but she’d kept her suspicions to herself. Her immediate concern had been to repair Peter’s shattered shinbone, a delicate procedure that had required careful re-piecing of the fragments rather like a human jigsaw puzzle.

Now that she’d piqued his curiosity, Remus couldn’t stop himself from asking, “So when did you figure it all out?”

“Not for years, I’m afraid,” Poppy admitted with just a hint of a smile. “Only when you confessed to Dumbledore that your dormitory mates had been unregistered Animagi on top of everything else.”

The morning he’d resigned his Dark Arts post, Remus grimaced to himself.

“I had a whole slew of doubts from the start, mind you,” Poppy continued. “During afternoon tea, Winnie told me all about the delegation of enraged bowtruckles that presented themselves at her door. It was all she could do to persuade them that their sacred grove had not been overrun by a band of slavering beasts.”

Professor Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank had taught Care of Magical Creatures, Remus recalled from his school years. He should’ve guessed Poppy had an inside source.

“So while the other faculty members argued whether or not Dumbledore should rightly accept your resignation, I had an epiphany of sorts,” Poppy concluded.

Remus had no desire to revisit what had been one of the most agonizing decisions of his life. Redirecting his attention to Minerva, he confirmed, “So predators know somehow?”

“Yes, it’s called the Predator Avoidance Phenomenon.”

“Does it apply to all beasts, magical or non?”

“Absolutely. Otherwise, Animagi would have been submitted to the cruelest form of torture known to wizardkind. Sad to say, that’s when the phenomenon was first observed.”

Remus shuddered at the thought of a disarmed wizard being force-fed to a predator while stranded in his Animagus form. Or that there might exist a dark arts spell that hindered one’s return to human shape. No wonder this added tidbit had been omitted from the requisite class lesson on the Animagus Transfiguration. In the back of his mind, Remus had always wondered.








The moonlight played havoc with Moody’s magical eye. On a more disconcerting level, he couldn’t help remembering how unassuming the village of Godric’s Hollow had looked that night “ over two decades past now “ when Voldemort had cut down the Potters.

It had also been a full moon then; how well his mind dredged up the tragic little details. The sharp autumn wind had danced among the stray candy wrappers from the Muggle Halloween celebrations as the Dark Lord himself walked among the innocent crowds. No one knowing that evil lurched along the quaint streets. No one giving him a second glance except to compliment him on his costume.

Tonight the soft caress of spring air played about his hair as Moody surveyed the somnolent lanes, straining to find familiar landmarks among the outlying hedgerows transformed by the Fidelius Charm.

“Where are we exactly?” Eddie Brimley whispered as they congregated in a small wooded area next to Hollyhock Lane.

“Godric’s Hollow,” Moody grumbled low in his throat as he lowered his Omnioculars. “Muggles interspersed with a few magical families; so don’t draw attention to yourselves.” At the shuffling behind him, Moody whirled to face the pasty features of Stu Savage. “Anything you have to say, you say to my face. Is that understood?”

Savage’s long-time colleague, Fenton Proudfoot, asserted, “Don’t see why you’re in charge tonight, Alastor.”

“Do you doubt I outrank the lot of you?” Moody shot back.

Speaking in his mate’s defense, Savage supplied, “A contingent of Aurors in the middle of a Muggle village, you’d better have just cause.”

“Kirby would be right put out if he knew,” Proudfoot added with a sour twist of his thin mouth. Alfonso Kirby, Kingsley’s second-in-command, had earned a reputation for maintaining strict accountability.

“Take it up with Alfie later then,” Moody snarled. “Since a tosser like me had nothing to do on a Saturday night, I answered the summons.”

With a final head count, he hesitated as they reached the curb in a sleepy residential area. “Up ahead’s the old Dumbledore house, although only Aberforth is in residence these days. The others are to meet us there.” He urged them forward in single file, taking up the rear at Proudfoot’s side.

“If you lads mind your manners,” Moody whispered lowly, “I’ll keep that little conversation out of the official report.”

Up ahead, Eddie was caught short. “Don’t just open the door, man,” he cautioned as Aberforth’s twinkling blue eyes peered around the doorjamb. “We could be anyone!”

“Not this time,” Aberforth rumbled in welcome. “Saw the lot of ye from the first floor window.”

The Aurors made an untidy phalanx amid the squashy drawing room furniture. Proudfoot and Savage shuffled from foot to foot as they avoided staring at anything in particular.

“Guides should be here shortly,” Moody announced.

“Begging you pardon, sir,” Eddie ventured, “why do we need guides?”

“We’ve been called to assist with a disturbance at an estate protected by the Fidelius Charm,” Moody explained.

“Right now, you’re like blind men stumbling in the dark,” Aberforth elaborated. “The guides have been empowered by the Secret-Keeper.”

“Blimey!” Savage exclaimed. “What kind of an altercation can circumvent a Fidelius Charm?”

“A right serious one,” Moody insisted as he looked his men in the eye. “The last time we were called to this spot, it was too late to do anything but pick up the pieces. This time, things will turn out differently.”

“Are we allowed to know whose house?” Proudfoot demanded.

“The old Potter estate,” Moody replied. “And I don’t have to tell you what sorts of enemies Harry Potter has amassed throughout the years. Anyone else want to question why we’re prepared to confront dark wizards tonight?”

Amid the heavy silence, even a soft knock at the door made them start.

With a dizzying revolution of his magical eye, Moody snapped, “The Weasleys have arrived. Harry’s young wife, their sister, is barricaded within the house together with Nymphadora Tonks. That’s really all we know.”

“Say, isn’t ole Dora married to Lupin these days?” Savage posed.

“Aye,” Aberforth grunted. “And if he doesn’t object to her keeping to her maiden name, I suggest you do likewise.”

With a nervous gulp, Eddie glanced towards the round moon riding high in the sky. Tonks was married to a werewolf; all her former workmates were aware of that.

His worst fears were confirmed as Amos Diggory, newly appointed Head of the Magical Creatures Department, was ushered in along with Bill, Fred, and George Weasley.

“Kingsley Shacklebolt would be here himself had he not been drawn into an emergency session of the Wizengamot,” Amos announced. “The same goes for Percy.”

As he presented the stoic façade that was expected of his post, Eddie couldn’t help but think: what in the blazes had they gotten themselves into?







“Please tell me, Dolores; I’ve always wondered,” Snape oozed with false sincerity. “What makes you so certain about everything? Even that which you’ve never witnessed.”

“Don’t try to pass yourself off as a philosophical sot,” Umbridge snorted. “That would’ve been the surest way to a beheading at the hands of the Dark Lord himself.”

“Another wild conjecture or personal experience?” Snape taunted.

But before Umbridge could frame an adequate response, Ron snidely slid in, “Definitely personal experience. She’s just too modest to admit it.”

Umbridge wheeled on him with a venomous glare. “What do you know of anything? You’re nothing but an overgrown puppy!”

“But not a blind one,” Hermione emphasized. “The three of us witnessed a very telling bit of memory contained within one of Voldemort’s vile containers.”

“Pity you had to destroy it,” Umbridge shot back.

“I have to wonder what poor, misguided Cornelius Fudge would’ve thought if he’d known you were plotting against him.” Harry gave Umbridge a smug look as he waited for the explosion to detonate.

“Shows what you know,” she dismissed with a mere shrug. “None of you abecedarians are remotely aware of the inner workings of politics.”

Snape merely raised a dark eyebrow as he allowed the insult to roll off his back.

“Maintaining the peace is a much more complicated balancing act than outsiders would suppose,” Umbridge elaborated. “As the Minister’s Senior Undersecretary, I was often assigned to make overtures to fringe groups to establish some common ground. Help them to work with the administration, rather than oppose it. Defusing a situation before it ever escalated into a full-scale revolt.”

“Very illuminating,” Hermione replied. “Might actually fit the facts, too, if one discounted that Fudge was convinced Voldemort had died on the night he murdered Harry’s parents. A belief that he vehemently maintained until confronted by the red eyes of the maniac himself.”

“Are you suggesting, Madam Umbridge, that the Minister had you infiltrate an organization he considered to be a figment of a senile old man’s imagination?” Harry provoked.

“Cornelius’ handle on reality was rather shaky during his final days in office,” Umbridge defended.

“Obviously, or he never would have appointed a shrew like you to terrorize the students at Hogwarts!” Ginny supplied with fervor.

“Speaking of which,” Hermione put forth, “the last months of Fudge’s administration saw you miles away playing at Headmistress. When you resumed your post as Undersecretary, Rufus Scrimgeour had already been confirmed as the new Minister.”

Umbridge leveled a noxious look at Hermione, her eyes sliding to Ron and Harry as she considered her options.

“Well, well, well,” Snape drawled with élan. “Seems the rookies got the better of you, wouldn’t you say, Dolores?”







“Not much movement,” Bill confirmed as he handed the Omnioculars back to Moody. “Lights blazing from the front of the house.”

“Confirms Remus’ preliminary report that they were corralled in the living room,” Moody mused. “What of Snape and the others?”

“Can’t say for certain. There may have been a bit of movement in the kitchen area, but that window is mostly occluded by the curve of the patio wall.”

“We could go in closer,” Fred suggested.

“Give us a feel for who’s where,” George echoed.

“Too risky,” Amos Diggory returned without hesitation. “Werewolf Capture has regulation stun guns that punch right through a Shield Charm.”

“They might come out to investigate, though,” Proudfoot commented.

“We need to find another way to lure them to the back gate,” Moody proposed. “Stick to the original plan until circumstances require that we deviate; standard procedure.”

“I’ll unlatch the gate then,” Bill volunteered. He returned moments later with a grim set to his lips. “Definitely nine persons inside the house; the results were very precise once I ventured just inside the Fidelius perimeter. From that angle, I could see two dark silhouettes in the kitchen.”

“Can you tell what they’re doing?” Moody pressed.

Bill shook his head. “The mannequins outside Purge & Dowse show more life.”

“Could be stunned,” Savage put forth.

“Or restrained in some other manner,” Bill agreed.

“Or standing sentinel,” Moody growled. “No assumptions!”

“Waiting for a clear shot,” Amos opined. “But hoping to be perceived as part of the background scenery.”

“Don’t werewolves hunt by scent as well as sight?” Eddie weighed in.

“Likely so,” Amos conceded as he warmed up to his subject. “But so little is known for certain. I’m of the opinion that they’re keenly intelligent and will use any ruse at their disposal “ even those that many attribute to wholly human adversaries.”

Eddie shuddered involuntarily even as Bill postulated, “I thought you said there was nothing out there.”

“For now,” Moody acknowledged with an unsettling smile. “But we’ll need to create some sort of diversion if we want them to come out and investigate. Any ideas?” As Moody’s magical eye took in the twins whispering among themselves, he added, “Did you lads happen to bring any toys with you?”

With a wide grin, Fred replied, “Gentlemen, it’s your lucky day --”

“”just managed to grab a few prototypes as we walked out the door,” George finished.






Tonks was only half-listening to the conversations around her as she struggled to devise a workable plan. She had only considered a portion of the details when she heard the first noises from outside. Best misdirect suspicion by waiting for someone else to raise the alarm, she decided inwardly.

“Is that rain I hear?” Umbridge groused as she glanced at the moonlight drenched lawn through the front window.

“Probably some inoffensive animal,” Snape suggested. “The house is surrounded by a strip of woodland.”

At the sound of claws running the length of the roof, Harry put forth, “Squirrels.” The deepening of his small frown emphasized that he wasn’t entirely convinced himself.

“Could be bowtruckles,” Ginny volunteered.

“Except that they’re perfectly quiet unless something disturbs their trees first,” Hermione countered.

“That would be the squirrels,” Harry insisted a bit more forcefully.

Eyes narrowing, Umbridge hissed, “Are you trying to convince me? Or yourself?”

Harry threw her a sullen glance. “Making conversation then.”

With a scornful look at her hosts, Umbridge rose to her feet and stomped over to the window, ducking behind the heavy drapes to avoid being seen. The soft rustle of silvery grass was the only movement.

“Er, I think the noises came from the back,” Ron mumbled.

Whipping around, Umbridge was glaring up at him in three quick steps. Poking his chest with her wand for emphasis, her voice was full of saccharine venom. “Why don’t we go see?”

“Blimey,” Ron swallowed noticeably, but he nevertheless escorted her towards the back door. “Out there!” He made a wide gesture with his arm to indicate the sinister silhouettes of the metal patio furniture.

“Regular tea party, I see,” Umbridge snapped. “In the mood for telling ghost stories?”

“Me?” Ron blurted nervously.

Umbridge took a deep breath to upbraid him further but never got the chance. A plaintive howl echoed from the direction of the rear fence and drew them all to the sidelights. There was no movement within the walled confines of the patio.

Once again the cry rose to the heavens, beseeching and woeful at the same time.

“Looks like the Master is returning from the hunt,” Umbridge huffed with grim satisfaction.

“Then he will likely have already fed,” Snape maintained in a tone that did nothing to dispel the tension. “Leave it to Lupin to return for a command performance; couldn’t resist the urge to preen before an audience.”

Such egotism hardly applied to Remus, Harry considered. But before he had time to protest, a flash of ghostly white beyond the enclosing wall made his hair stand on end.

Hermione threw herself into Ron’s arms as she issued in a bare whisper, “We’re being stalked.”

Slipping soundlessly between the stark tree trunks was the outline of a greyish wolf. Just as it wandered deeper into the bordering strip of woods another took its place, its coat shining silver in the moonlight. Fifty paces to the left a third wraithlike figure joined them, the silhouette of its hindquarters clearly establishing it as a werewolf.

“Surely it can’t be…” Hermione muttered under her breath.

“What was that?” Umbridge demanded in a tone that was quickly becoming strident. “What do you know, girl? What is it that you aren’t telling us?”

Hermione’s lips were compressed into a thin white line as she turned to face her tormentor. “Anything I say at this point would be mere conjecture,” she warned in a frosty voice.

“Anything would be more than we know. OUT WITH IT!” Umbridge bellowed.

Beyond the patio wall, the wolves raised their elongated heads as one in response to the raised voices. The doleful lament poured forth again, calling others to the gathering.

“If I didn’t know better,” Hermione issued in a hurried whisper, “I’d think they were the ghostly spirits of werewolf ancestors. But Remus is no shaman…”

“Remus’ parents were human, not wolves,” Harry objected. “He’s spoken of them on numerous occasions.”

“Who’s to say the lineage is marked in the same manner?” Snape put forth dryly.

“Bite to bite would make more sense,” Umbridge snarled lowly. “Perfidy by perfidy. A werewolf is begat by its attacker.”

“There’s no reason to suppose such Native American beliefs are anything more than superstition,” Hermione maintained.

“Muggle superstitions have a tendency to reflect certain realities in the wizarding world,” Umbridge asserted. “Or did you fail to note that coincidence in your studies?”

Ginny decried, “Not always! Take the tale of the Princess and the Frog, for instance.”

Hermione rose to the challenge. “But if you take it allegorically --” she began.

“Do spare us the lesson in comparative literature, Miss Granger,” Snape cut across in his patented derogatory drawl. “This is hardly the time.” Before Umbridge could retort, he added, “It’s unwise to depend on unreliable comparisons. What we should be asking ourselves is whether Lupin has any mystical leanings?”

Tonks snorted at the notion. “Not his style.”

Hermione made to respond as well but Umbridge cut her off with a warning flick of her wand. “I’ve heard enough from you, missy. Don’t think I’ve forgotten how you like to weave fanciful delusions just as much as Potter. I want to hear from him!” She focused her pernicious frown on Ron. “What do you know of Lupin?”

“He’s been a family friend for years,” Ron gulped as his eyes flicked nervously towards the wand which was pointed at his chin. “A fixture at holiday gatherings while I was growing up.”

“So’s the turkey!” Umbridge dismissed. “Something which pertains to this situation, please. Or does your intelligence wander just as much as your eyes?”

Caught in the crosshairs, Ron was uncertain how to respond.

Coming to his friend’s assistance, Harry prompted, “Forget that you’re standing in the man’s kitchen, mate. My name’s on that property deed as well.”

“A werewolf owns half of this estate?” Umbridge’s eyes bulged in outrage.

Coolly, Harry explained, “He was one of my parents’ closest friends. They left the property to be divided among the two of us.”

Seeing that Umbridge was still hyper-ventilating, Ginny crooned, “Why your reaction implies that such a thing is illegal.”

“Is it, Dolores?” Snape echoed dispassionately.

Umbridge shot him a poisonous look as she sniffed, “No. But it ruddy well should be!”

“Then it was clearly an oversight of yours,” Hermione defended in dulcet tones.

“Enough of you!” Umbridge warned as she stuck her stubby ringed finger in Hermione’s face. “I’m still waiting to hear from your gormless husband.”

“You’ll have to repeat the bloody question, then,” Ron answered with a stony expression.

Glancing nervously at the wolves which continued to move as silvery shadows in the distance, Umbridge reiterated, “Does Lupin strike you as having dabbled with Muggle mysticism? Any other abilities he might have kept hidden?”

Fully out of his depth, Ron reacted in the same manner as he’d done when a teacher singled him out in class. “Nothing is beyond his abilities,” he answered vaguely. “There’s always more to Remus than meets the eye.”

In a sepulchral voice, Snape confirmed, “Even when we were at school together, Lupin was always one to closely guard his secrets. I can only imagine that as a grown man, he’s become much more practiced at the art of deception.”

Deciding that it was preferable to trust Snape’s scathing commentary, Umbridge puffed her chest forward as she assumed command. “Kitchen knives,” she noted, catching sight of the butcher block table. Her head turned this way and that as she considered other options in unfamiliar surroundings. “Anything else?”

“There’s all manner of cooking utensils in the cabinets,” Tonks provided.

“Were you planning on showering Lupin’s return with crockery?” Snape mocked.

“This is no joking matter!” Umbridge bristled. “Any long range weapons?” At the blank looks turned in her direction, she elaborated urgently, “Rifles, bows and arrows, a crossbow would be ideal. Sports equipment in a pinch.”

So much for a friendly inspection, Harry thought bitterly, as the implications became all too clear. “There might be a tired Quidditch set in the attic crawlspace,” he replied with careful enunciation. He didn’t dare look at Ginny as he clutched her hand for comfort.

“Singularly unhelpful!” Umbridge spat as the howls drew nearer.

“Didn’t your assistants bring any weapons?” Hermione remarked as she considered the slumped forms of Crabbe and Goyle.

“Revive them!” Umbridge ordered. “Only you two know how the proper counter-spells.”

Snape took the initiative, “Perhaps a more universal antidote is called for. With your permission?” He waited until Umbridge gave a sharp nod of consent. “Aquamenti!” he intoned with relish as he pointed his wand towards the two faces illuminated vividly white in the moonlight.

Sputtering and damp, Crabbe and Goyle blinked uncertainly at their surroundings. They scurried to their feet as Umbridge fixed them with a piercing look. At the metallic rattle of the iron patio gate, their training resurfaced.

“Everyone stay back!” Goyle barked with sudden authority. “I’m going out to investigate. Cover me!”

“Stay as far away from the windows as possible,” Crabbe warned as he surveyed the dark yard with misgivings. “I need a clear line of sight. Anyone gets between this stun gun and the target is in for an illuminating experience.”

“Make no mistake,” Umbridge confided with glee. “The charge needed to stop a werewolf will seize an ordinary man’s heart. Only once the beasts are properly placated can the Incarcerous Charm immobilize them.”

“What’s to keep a werewolf from chewing through ropes?” Ron asked more to Hermione than anyone else.

With a sharp slap to his belt, Crabbe replied, “We muzzle them before the voltage wears off.”

Ginny buried her eyes in Harry’s shoulder, but a look in the other direction showed Tonks with a grim set to her lips.

“There again!” Snape pointed to an indistinct shadow just beyond the patio wall.

Goyle glanced over his shoulder towards the house as he eased his way past the patio gate and into the woods beyond. A rough track wound through a dark ribbon of tightly packed trees before reaching the perimeter fence.

“How are you going to cover him when he’s out of sight?” Nerves had rendered Ron’s voice higher pitched than usual.

“Never you mind,” Crabbe retorted. “Nothing’s setting foot on this patio.”

What’s to keep a werewolf from simply scaling the enclosing wall? Harry considered with rising fear.

The sound of footsteps traversed the roof only to stop immediately above the kitchen area.

“Douse all the lights!” Umbridge ordered as a quick wand movement plunged them into darkness.

“Werewolves are fully adapted to night vision,” Hermione returned. “It will take a few minutes for the rest of us to adjust.”

“Quiet, you silly girl!” Umbridge issued. “Werewolves can’t navigate very well around furniture and other domestic obstacles.”

Harry was close enough to catch Tonks’ expression which seemed to convey the same thought as his: this is Remus’ home. With escalating panic, it hit him: Remus was still at Hogwarts. Something else was out there!







Through drowsy eyelashes, Remus surveyed the glistening outlines of the metal bed frames that ran the length of the Hospital Wing. Awash in the moon’s silvery song, the purity of the linens contrasted sharply with the darker shadows that pooled beneath. Amid this monochromatic landscape, a ragged bird hopped from one metal frame to another, flapping crookedly as it favored one wing over the other.

Poppy’s hand was a gentle brush as she checked Remus’ pulse. “So pleased you’re able to relax a bit,” she crooned. “Your body’s responding well to the Invigoration Draught. Now if you’ll just indulge me: some Blood-Replenishing Potion will have your energy levels back to normal.”

He looked up into eyes that shone just as brightly as ever despite the tracing of fine lines at the corners. She angled the pillows behind him in a familiar fashion to allow him to sit up more comfortably. It took him a few moments to recall that he was no longer a school boy recovering from him monthly bouts with his particular strain of lunacy, but a grown man with a wife and family.

“Any word from Godric’s Hollow?” Remus urged.

“Nothing yet. Dolores is being her bull-headed self, I’m afraid.”

Turning his head, he noted that the bird had worked its way closer. It perched uncertainly atop the iron footboard of the next bed and fixed him with its tiny eye.

“I know I’ve lost a lot of blood,” Remus beseeched as he licked his lips anxiously, “but please tell me if I’m hallucinating into the bargain.”

Following his line of sight, Poppy started involuntarily. “Are you seeing a bird?”

Remus nodded submissively. “A bit torn around the edges as if it flew through a barrage of arrows.”

“A very apt description for one that’s had to ease its way past a Fidelius Charm. Don’t you remember how Hestia’s flamingo practically limped in to advise us that Harry had been poisoned by Voldemort’s ring?”

“Only now that you mention it. I was in a fog of pain that night.” Wordlessly, Remus acknowledged that Voldemort’s defeat seemed a lifetime ago.

Poppy pressed a finger to her lips as she drew a chair up to be at eye level with the Patronus messenger. “Chances are it will fade almost immediately,” she cautioned softly.

With a strangely familiar expression in its beady eye, the Patronus’ gaze washed over both of them in turn. Convinced of their undivided attention, its beak issued forth in Snape’s unmistakable baritone, “Leave it to Lupin to return for a command performance; couldn’t resist the urge to preen before an audience.” Having uttered the last syllable, the smoky edges of the eagle bled into nothingness.








The dark outline of Goyle returned panting and full of concern. “The double gate at the back of the grounds is hanging open,” he hissed to Umbridge.

“Didn’t you check it as part of the reconnaissance?” she remonstrated. “Before we knocked on the front door.”

“I did,” Crabbe attested. “It was securely bolted. Didn’t respond to a basic Alohamora, either.”

“As far as I could tell, the chain hasn’t been cut or anything,” Goyle added after a bit of careful consideration.

“Does it surprise you that Lupin has a key to his own backdoor?” Dolores dismissed with a contemptuous wave of her ringed fingers.

“Except that werewolf paws can’t manipulate keys and locks,” Ginny mouthed into Harry’s ear.

He squeezed her hand in reassurance as he struggled to keep his face impassive. Why hadn’t he thought of it before? It couldn’t be Remus at all; the estate would remain invisible to him until the charm was lifted in the morning. The same held true for any other types of predators. Anyone able to unlock the gate must have been given the location by the Secret-Keeper. More likely than not, it was a friend not an enemy.

And according to the master plan, they were to herd Umbridge and company beyond the borders of the Fidelius magic. Surely Remus “ or Minerva, even “ would’ve called for reinforcements by now.






“It’s clearly a message of some sort,” Minerva concurred as she belted her dressing gown more tightly.

“By the tone, I’d say it was issued under duress,” Poppy opined as the three of them huddled under a hasty Imperturbable Charm.

In the next beds, the small bodies of Teddy and Phoebe were relaxed in carefree slumber. Only the occasional sigh issued forth as they repositioned their limbs without waking.

Tearing his eyes from his children, Remus concurred, “If you ignore the sarcasm, I think he’s asking me to do just that. Show up to convince Umbridge that her raid was pointless.”

“If that’s what you wanted, why didn’t you just confront her in the first place?” Minerva cried. “You’ll be walking right into the arms of Werewolf Capture. Severus can’t be thinking clearly!”

“What if it’s the only way?” Remus considered despite various misgivings that stirred within him. “If I promise to stay on the far side of the fence, it shouldn’t be too dangerous.”

“You’ll be ringed by Aurors then,” Minerva considered.

“Absolutely,” Remus reassured them. “I’m not about to walk into an ambush alone.”

“If there’s no backup, you’ll turn back?” Minerva prompted.

“I’ll round up Aberforth and we’ll call for assistance,” Remus promised.

“I won’t allow it!” Poppy insisted. “What’s to keep him from swooning into some stranger’s Floo all over again?”

Remus attempted to rise to his feet to show her otherwise only to be betrayed by his damnable knees. He slumped into a sitting position at the foot of the bed.

Wordlessly, Poppy pressed another dosage of Blood-Replenisher into his hand.

“I have another idea,” Minerva whispered as she fairly sprinted past the main doors and into the deserted corridor. Before the double doors swung shut, she had assumed Animagus form and was bounding down the main staircase on silent paws.

“Let’s hope she doesn’t encounter Filch on his rounds,” Remus added with a wry chuckle.

“Mrs. Norris might never recover,” Poppy concurred with an indulgent shake of her head.
Thirty-Four: Command Performance by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.





Thirty-Four
Command Performance




Hagrid was still struggling with his waistcoat as he entered the Hospital Wing.

“Evenin’,” he issued lowly with a quick glance at the slumbering children. "Or should I say mornin'?"

With a majestic sweep of her arm, Minerva reinforced the Imperturbable Charm surrounding children’s beds. “I’ve brought you a traveling companion, Remus. One who can catch you bodily when you stumble.”

“Carry yeh like a right babe if need be,” Hagrid proclaimed. Then amended, “Only I suppose tha’s not the sorta first impression yeh’d like ta make.”

Remus chuckled in spite of the seriousness of the situation. “Somehow a werewolf cub is not what Umbridge is expecting.”

“Not tha’ one,” Hagrid agreed with a grimace. “She’s likely lookin’ ta stir up trouble. Always pretendin’ she’s better than everyone else.”

Capitulating to the inevitable, Poppy cast a quick “Scourgify!” over Remus’ clothing. “The blood stains will require a bit of a soak to come out. Sorry.”

Remus shrugged that it didn’t matter as he soundlessly slipped into his shoes. Tucking in the shirt tails hid most of the torn portions, but there was nothing he could do about the brownish swipe along the sleeve. Rather like he’d been attacked by a broad paintbrush, he considered wryly.

“Here,” Poppy offered as she held out a bar of Honeyduke’s Best Chocolate.

“Isn’t that the antidote for dark magic?” Remus remarked.

She gave him a small inscrutable smile. “Hunger pangs can be debilitating as well.”

“Come, Remus,” Hagrid urged towards the outside corridor. “We’ll grab some fruit on the way.”

At the confusion on Remus’ face, the Headmistress explained, “The fireplace in my office is too small. You’ll need to Floo to Aberforth’s house from the oversized hearth in the main kitchens. My Patronus will alert him that you’re not a pair of mismatched burglars.”

“I’ll send word just a quickly as I can,” Remus promised with one last look towards Teddy and Phoebe.

“Don’t worry; they’re in good hands,” Minerva soothed as she gently eased him towards the exit.

“What will you tell them?” he demanded.

“If they even wake up,” Poppy ventured.

“I’m sure I’ll think of something,” Minerva reassured him with a gentle squeeze of his shoulder. “Now be off. You don’t want to miss your curtain call, do you?”

“This way, Hagrid,” Remus offered. “I know a short-cut that’s not too constricting. Your ability to distinguish the bare outlines through the charm will come in handy.”






All Harry’s earlier fears resurfaced as he heard Remus’ amplified voice from beyond the ebony treeline. “Sorry to be so late; something came up.”

“I’ll just bet it did!” Umbridge snarled as her wand threw the patio gate open so that it clanged against the brick wall. With quick darts of her eyes, she directed her accomplices to circle around and come at Remus from behind.

“Can’t say I’ve ever heard of a talking werewolf,” Ron muttered.

With a flash of anger over her shoulder, Umbridge amplified her own voice. “Mighty articulate for a wolf, aren’t you?”

It was unmistakably Remus’ sinister chuckle that made chills race up their spines. “Perhaps for an ordinary wolf. But thanks to Severus’ tinkering with the Wolfsbane Potion, I’ve become an uber-wolf of sorts.”

“So he said,” Umbridge raged. Under her breath she added, “Although he seemed to have omit --” With an inarticulate choking sound, she backed away from the open window.

It was then that they all saw it. Yellow, feral eyes gleaming from between the dark trees. Pairs of amber spotlights that moved slowly in a wide arc as they considered their prey. It did not take much imagination to envision long, wet tongues licking at bared teeth. A mournful howl ululated from all sides at once.

Snape laid a warning hand on Harry’s shoulder as he stealthily indicated Tonks with his eyes. Come to think of it, she had been usually quiet. Perhaps he’d been wrong to attribute it to fear, Harry considered.

“Do you suppose he’s brought some friends for a midnight snack?” Snape’s deep voice provoked Umbridge.

“You have a singularly cavalier attitude towards your own mortality!” she snapped in return.

“The same might be said for you and your gate-crashers,” Tonks provided.

Crabbe’s rotund slouch came into view as he worked his way back. “Greg’s disappeared. Can’t find him anywhere.”

“What about Lupin?” Umbridge insisted. “He’s the target.”

“Just beyond the fenceline, but too deep in the shadows to see clearly. Can’t get a good shot.” With distress coloring his pinched features, Crabbe added, “What should I do about the others? The advance guard?”

Making a sudden decision, Umbridge ordered, “Keep them at bay. Perhaps I should take a closer look myself.” She double-checked that the surrendered wands were tucked securely into her belt but far enough apart to avoid any accidents.

With a cautious waddle, Umbridge pressed herself against the patio wall. Squinting her porcine eyes into the gloomy depths beyond the open gate, she considered the amorphous shapes which hung back in the shadows. The brilliance of the moon failed to penetrate beyond the lush canopy, transforming the ordinary tree trunks into rows of rampaging soldiers intent on her dismemberment.

Swallowing her nervousness, Umbridge amplified her voice once more. “Shouldn’t a host come forth to greet his guests?”

With a calculating snarl, Remus intoned, “I tire of this charade, Dolores. You’re no more a guest than I’m welcoming you to my home. I can’t imagine my wife didn’t tell you that from the start.”

Visibly steeling herself, Umbridge dared, “Why do you hide, then? Or perhaps more to the point: what do you hide?”

“You wanted to see me; I came. What could be simpler than that?”

“Yet you taunt me from outside the grounds.”

“Simply put: the Fidelius Charm keeps me at arm’s length. It dispels at day break, but I suspect you wanted to see me before the moon set.”

“What have you done with Gregory? Answer me that.”

“Nothing. He’s silently cursing himself for stepping past the perimeter. That and the fact that he failed to pay attention in Charms class.”

The sound of a throat clearing was followed by Goyle’s whiny voice. “It’s true. Once past the outside fence, you can no longer see the house when you turn back. Nothing but a maze of hedgerows as far as the eye can see.”

“Moron!” Umbridge muttered under her breath. “That’s what a Fidelius Charm does.” With a vicious curl to her lip, she insinuated loudly, “And just why do the residents of this expansive estate wish to keep you away, Lupin?”

“It’s a full moon.”

“I know it’s a full moon, you cur! Why do they think you pose a danger to them?”

“Really, can you blame them? Why every mother along the British countryside is taking similar precautions since that illuminating interview with your friend, Fenrir Greyback, was aired. Are you planning surprise visits to all those homes as well?”






“Blimey! He’s a calculating bastard!” Crabbe mumbled.

Even in the moonlight, Umbridge’s face could be seen turning a peculiar shade of puce as she crouched next to the patio wall.

“Your former supervisor might profit from your assistance, Vincent,” Snape issued in a bare whisper.

“Can’t leave my post,” he protested. “What if any of those creatures stormed the patio?”

“I doubt they’re brainless enough to throw themselves at the windows. Not when there’s a juicier prize mincing her way out to greet them,” Snape prompted, his voice a strangely beguiling mixture of callousness and seduction. “Someone should accompany her to the back gate.”

Crabbe looked uncertainly at his former Head of House. “Perhaps you could, sir….”

“My defensive skills won’t have the same impact as your stun gun,” Snape demurred. “And your superiors would be displeased if you entrusted this task to someone else.”

Crabbe hesitated, his eyes full of suspicion as he considered Snape’s suggestion. At Umbridge’s shrill exclamation, he returned his focus to the patio.






“What’s to keep your welcoming committee from tearing me from limb to limb as I work my way down the track?” Umbridge argued peevishly.

“Full stomachs, for one,” Remus provided with malicious relish. “But if it will put your mind at ease…” A sharp whistle echoed eerily in the darkness. Within moments, the glowing amber eyes had retreated deeper into the murkiness. “Feel free to cut down any who don’t heed a direct order.”

Umbridge jumped as Crabbe drew up beside her. “Let me clear the way,” he volunteered.

“What about the others back there?” Umbridge tilted her head meaningfully.

“They’d be fools to step beyond the protection of the building. They’re to bolt themselves into the root cellar if necessary.”

With a curt nod, Umbridge drew back from the open archway. Sweeping his weapon in a wide arc, Crabbe stepped cautiously past the patio wall. A few steps behind, Umbridge’s eyes gleamed with pent-up hatred as her wand washed over the same area.







Only the slightest whisper of wind at his elbow alerted Harry that Snape had made a covert wand motion.

“Tell me you didn’t just hex Umbridge,” he urged lowly, never taking his eyes off the woman’s retreating shadow.

“Tell me you did!” Ginny extolled lowly.

“Not that we’d fault you,” Tonks added breathlessly.

Barely moving his lips in the darkness, Snape remarked, “Merely a Compulsion Charm. Wouldn’t want her to lose her way in the moonlight.”

“A Compulsion placed on a person is mighty close to Imperiusing them,” Ron cautioned.

“That’s very astute,” Hermione echoed as she turned accusatory eyes towards her former professor.

Snape inclined his head in slight acknowledgement. “Which is why I aimed for the back fence instead. That’s where Dolores’ destiny awaits.”

“Dad was just contacting the Auror Department when Hermione and I left,” Ron confirmed.

“Do you think that’s really Remus?” Tonks laid her hand on Severus’ forearm for emphasis.

“Yes.” When he failed to elaborate, all heads turned to survey his stony countenance. “Giving the theatrical performance of his life, I warrant,” Snape grudgingly elaborated.

“What about the minions?” Ron pressed, indicating the glowing eyes that still watched them from deep within the sheltering trees. “That’s hardly a trick of the light.”

“A trick, nevertheless,” Snape asserted. At the unconvinced looks, he fearlessly pushed his wand out the nearest window and cast a Summoning Charm.

The others held their breath as Snape adjusted his arm a number of times. Flying flecks of bark indicated where a tree stood between him and his objective. In Harry’s mind, the mantra repeated that not even Snape would be arrogant enough to summon a snarling werewolf.

With a triumphant grunt, the man whirled around to display two ping-pong sized orbs in his hand. “Recognize these?”

“Floating party lights,” Ginny noted.

“Like we used for our wedding,” Harry echoed.

“How were they able to control them so expertly?” Hermione inquired as she examined the tiny spheres more closely.

“One wand for every pair would be my guess,” Tonks volunteered.

“Which means, Mr. Weasley, that your brothers are here as part of the reinforcements,” Snape surmised.

“Blimey! How many people are out there?” Ron cried.

“Too many trees will interfere with a proper Homenum Revelio Charm,” Hermione cautioned.

“Since Tonks was supplying the ghostly werewolf regiment --” Harry began.

“Sound effects by Dobby,” Tonks confirmed.

“Let’s work our way down to the edge of the property,” Harry finished.

“In case some of our guests need assistance finding their way out,” Tonks reinforced.

With mischief dancing in her eyes, Ginny urged, “Just in time for the fireworks finale.”

Harry was about to dash up the stairs to retrieve spare wands when Dobby appeared with a loud crack at his elbow.

“Dobby took the liberty,” the elf pronounced with pride as he held out Harry’s and Ginny’s auxiliary wands.

With a muttered word of thanks, Harry caught up with Ginny just as she was examining the gate hinges to see if they had been damaged by Dolores’ tantrum.






Umbridge picked her way down the overgrown track that led towards the gaping hole left by the open back gate. Despite the full moon hanging resolutely over her shoulder, very little illumination penetrated the brackish smoke which collected in evil swirls about her thick ankles.

She barely stopped herself from plowing into Crabbe who had come to a full stop just before the fenceline. He gazed open-mouthed at a dark figure which had risen before him in the lane beyond.

“Mr. Diggory, sir,” he stammered, ignoring the scowl which Umbridge fixed upon him. “I wasn’t really expecting….this was just routine….” He swallowed nervously as he surrendered his stun gun into the hands of his new Department Head.

“So Gregory here has been telling me,” Amos confirmed. “Said Ms. Umbridge was quite persuasive.”

“Don’t get on your high hippogriff, Amos,” Umbridge scoffed. “You know full well that I’m within my rights.”

“Did you find a werewolf present, Dolores?” Amos inquired with a sharp lift to his graying eyebrow.

“That’s what I was trotting down here to find,” she returned sharply.

“Tell me what you see then,” Amos instructed her with a wide sweep of his arm in the direction of the gate.

Umbridge blinked repeatedly into the darkness where the guard booth should have been. Perched atop a boulder that bordered the very edge of the Fildelius Charm, Remus leaned against the high fence from the outside. The arm he had wrapped around the tall metal post held him in place as he slowly lowered the wand from his throat.

It took Umbridge’s brain a few extra seconds to acknowledge what her eyes were telling her. “You can’t be….”

Through his exhaustion, Remus issued a shaky smile. “Not exactly what you expected, eh?”

“You’re a werewolf!”

“Since I was five years old,” Remus agreed as he slowly lowered himself into a sitting position. “Don’t tell me you fell for Lockhart’s tripe about a Homorphus Charm; that only works for Animagi.”

“THEN HOW IN BLAZES --”

“Now, Dolores,” Moody issued as he inched his way from the other side of the lane. “Didn’t your mother ever tell you it was impolite to inquire too keenly about another’s medical condition?”

“Not when it endangers others!” Dolores emphasized with a stamp of her foot.

Remus’ sharp laugh held a hint of self-depreciation. “I’m more of a danger to myself tonight.”

“Been chewing your own arm?” Umbridge snapped. “Or is that how you establish dominance?”

“Tripped with a glass vial in my hand,” Remus acknowledged as he held up his bandaged hand.

“Let me clarify the situation,” Amos put forth as he motioned for a dazed Crabbe to join Goyle along the sidelines.

Eddie took a step back so he could cover both men with his wand.

“Did you find a werewolf tonight?” Amos urged Dolores as he would a recalcitrant child.

“What about those that were stalking us?” she demanded. “The rest of the pack?”

“Floating faerie lights!” Fred cried out as he beckoned his twin forward.

“Did you miss us, Professor?” George smirked.

“Why you filthy trouble-makers…” Dolores began as she stalked into the lane with her wand held high. A ring of Aurors brought her up short.

“All it takes is a single wolf to be vindicated, Dolores,” Moody growled. “Otherwise, forcing entry into an estate protected by the Fidelius Charm sounds remarkably like trespassing to me.”

“Did you disarm the residents?” Amos coaxed as he noticed her belt.

“I asked for a voluntary surrender of wands,” Dolores confirmed with a haughty sniff.

“Did you stop to think that would leave them defenseless if there really was a slavering beast stalking them?” the deep voice of Kingsley Shacklebolt issued as he strode forth from the shadows. “Sorry I was delayed, folks.”

“Do you always send your staff to pick up the pieces so you can waltz in and take credit?” Umbridge groused as she looked up into Kingsley’s impassive features.

“I share your frustration, Dolores,” Kingsley’s intoned calmly. “I would much rather have faced a domestic disturbance than the solemn faces of the Wizengamot.”

“You don’t really think you can press charges,” Umbridge issued truculently.

“Not without a complaint,” Kingsley attested. “Any volunteers?”

“Not you,” Moody waved Remus off before he could open his mouth. “You may be the aggrieved party, but you were elsewhere for the most part.”

“I’ll do it!” Harry announced as he boldly strode past the gate and into view of those blocked by the Fidelius Charm.

“And we’ll be glad to attest to all manner of defamatory statements made by Ms. Umbridge,” Hermione announced as Ginny and Ron drew up as well.

“She gave us quite an earful,” Snape confirmed with a dark scowl. “Not just invectives directed at Lupin.”

“Little you know!” Despite her squat stature, Umbridge somehow managed to look down her nose at the rest of them. “The Auror Department is hardly interested in dissecting drawing room banter. Who could possibly remember everything that was said?”

“Now wait right there!” Ginny fairly spat as she confronted Umbridge nose to nose.

“What makes your powers of recollection so much better than mine, missy?” Umbridge returned smugly. “If bad manners were punishable by jail time, I doubt Hogwarts would be enjoying the services of its current Potions Master.”

Snape made as if to take a step closer to Umbridge only to be forestalled by Hermione digging furiously in the pockets of his robe. He fixed her with an icy glower. “Miss Granger! This is hardly the time…and what could you have possibly lost in my pockets?”

With a cry of triumph, Hermione held her prize aloft.

“That does not belong to you --” Snape made as if to snatch the offensive mobile phone from Hermione’s hands but she backed out of reach.

In the next instant, Umbridge’s voice jeered in crystalline clarity, “Shows what you know. None of you abecedarians are remotely aware of the inner workings of politics. Maintaining the peace is a much more complicated balancing act than outsiders would suppose. As the Minister’s Senior Undersecretary, I was often assigned to make overtures to fringe groups to establish some common ground. Help them to work with the administration, rather than oppose it…”

All eyes turned to Umbridge’s face as the color drained from her puffy cheeks. “I hardly think those Muggle contraptions are admissible before the Wizengamot,” she sputtered.

“They’re not,” Kingsley attested with a firm set to his lips. “But I daresay they will help prompt your memory, don’t you think, Dolores?” As Umbridge fairly simmered, Kingsley turned his attention to Hermione. “If you please? I believe this object just became material evidence in a criminal investigation.”

Hermione hesitated as she traded looks with Snape and Kingsley and back again. Snape darted before her and protested, “That object belongs to a student. The Headmistress charged me with returning it to her “ undamaged “ at the end of term.”

“As well you will,” Kingsley affirmed as he signaled for Savage to retrieve the phone.

Snape bodily interceded once again. “When has a Ministry investigation ever concluded within a month’s time?”

“We’ll return it to her at a later date,” Savage dismissed only to find that Hermione had handed the phone to Ron who handed it off to Harry.

“The Ministry will buy her a replacement, at the very least,” Snape insisted.

“Not good enough,” Hermione added. “There’s all manner of data stored within that small box.”

“Do you know how to transfer the information from one device to another?” Kingsley posed to Hermione.

“Yes.”

“Then that’s what we’ll do. I’ll make the funds available so that Miss…”

“Helmbright,” Snape supplied through tight lips.

“…so that Miss Helmbright can receive an upgraded model,” Kingsley proclaimed. “There’s a new version of these things coming out every week, I’ve been told. I’ll entrust Hermione and Harry here to take care of that, seeing as how they both have no trouble weaving in among the Muggle world.”

Savage made as if to retrieve the phone from Harry, but Kingsley caught him by the arm. “Harry’s in charge of the investigation now.”

“Not if he’s filing the complaint, he’s not,” Proudfoot protested.

“With Remus’ permission, I think I might drop that complaint,” Harry issued in a measured tone.

Remus looked up from where he was caught up in Tonks’ tight embrace and gave a quick nod.

Harry barely noticed Umbridge’s self-satisfied snort, as he added, “I believe a review of tonight’s evidence may warrant more serious charges filed against Ms. Umbridge.”

“What sorts of things?” Kingsley urged.

“Certainly you should have cause to open investigations into crimes of sedition and conspiracy,” Tonks provided without hesitation as her Auror background came to the fore.

“Possibly treason,” Harry amended. “If I can establish intent.”

Fidgeting with outrage as her wand was relinquished into Proudfoot’s hands, Umbridge huffed, “Don’t look so pleased with yourself, Alastor. Any barrister worth his salt will argue that if testimony via Pensieve is barred, then a Muggle recording device is not all that different.”

Totally unruffled, Moody asserted, “Pensieve memories are filtered through the personal prejudices of the original witness.”

“A recording device is just as neutral as the Stenographer’s Quills that are used during interrogations,” Hermione put forth.

“Let’s allow the Aurors to do their work,” Kingsley suggested. Turning his back, he ushered the others out of Umbridge’s hearing. “Yet another way in which Dolores’ influence brings about change; although I doubt it was what she intended. What she doesn’t realize is that I familiarized myself enough with technology during my undercover assignment with the Muggle Prime Minister that I’m no longer afraid of it.”

“So you changed the rules?” Hermione considered as they drew abreast of Remus and Tonks.

From Kingsley’s side, Percy proclaimed, “The Wizengamot entertained a motion of no confidence towards Scrimgeour today. He resigned.”

“Disgraced due to not severing his association with Umbridge,” confirmed Kingsley. “Made everyone wonder about Rufus’ true loyalties in spite of his recent restructuring of the Magical Creatures Department.”

“Tarred wit’ the same brush,” Hagrid supplied.

Percy acknowledged, “As of midnight, Kingsley’s Acting Minister.”

“Confirmation hearings scheduled for mid-week,” Kingsley clarified.

“A mere formality I’m sure,” Remus remarked as he caught Kingsley in a congratulatory hand-shake.

“Let me be the first to congratulate you, Kings,” Tonks gushed as she gave him a one-arm hug.

Clearly overwhelmed, Kingsley beseeched, “Truly, we haven’t even made a proper announcement to the press yet. Promise that you lot will keep mum.”

Percy elaborated, “I was just on my way to owl the Prophet when we were alerted to your distress call. No one would’ve interrupted a closed session earlier.”








With a wide grin, Fred offered, “Did you like our new product, Bro?” He indicated the empty canister Ron was clutching in his hand.

“A variation of the hugely popular Decoy Detonators,” George supplied from Ron’s other side. “Something more controlled.”

Ron nodded eagerly. “So you just guide this aircraft towards your target?”

“Using a Locomotor Charm,” Fred expounded. “But it’s not just any aircraft; notice the detail.”

Ron was stumped as he turned the fuselage labeled 41st Squadron this way and that.

With sudden inspiration, Harry volunteered, “You’ve replicated the stealth design recently declassified by the RAF. Look at the dark color, Ron. Almost black, but not quite.”

Fred’s smile increased in intensity. “It’s not polygraphite, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Much too expensive “ and actually worthless in wizarding terms,” George added.

“Aren’t those the planes that are supposed to be invisible?” Ron posed as he struggled to keep up with Muggle issues.

“Undetectable by radar,” George corrected.

“Otherwise, how would they have managed to publish a snapshot?” Fred chortled.

“Hardly seems worth the trouble to hide such a small object,” Harry mused aloud. “The color alone lets it blend into the shadows.”

Fred agreed. “So we concluded for ourselves.”

“Made some innovations that are more beneficial to our way of thinking,” his twin commented.

“Spells bounce off it. Just try a basic Summoning Charm,” Fred invited as he placed the empty hull a number of feet away.

With a trusting smile, Ron complied. Seconds later, an invisible tether pull off his belt. “Bloody hell!”

Harry broke out in laughter as Ron quickly grabbed the waistband of his trousers.

“I can see why yeh’d stock tha’ in yer Joke Shop,” Hagrid wheezed.

Drawn by the merriment, Ginny suggested mischievously, “What would happen if I used a Reductor Curse?”

The twins blanched in unison.

“DON’T!” Fred cried as he threw up his hands in warning.

“We need to test that in a controlled environment,” George confided in a shaky voice.

“Like we did in the Room of Requirement,” Fred echoed.

“Harry wouldn’t much appreciate it if yeh defoliated his Bowtruckle Preserve,” Hagrid pronounced solemnly.

“So this baby’s responsible for that black fog that hugged the ground,” Ron approved. “Wicked!”

With obvious pride, Fred remarked, “A unique mixture of Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder --”

“”married to that ground mist from the Portable Swamp,” George interjected.

“Delaying tactic guaranteed to make pursuers stumble in unfamiliar terrain,” Fred finished.

“So you’re calling them Stealth Stumblers?” Ginny deadpanned.

“Make a note of that,” George insisted happily.

“Nice ring to it,” Fred affirmed. “Thanks, Sis.”

“Took you 41 tries to get it right,” Ron noted as he pointed to the hollow fuselage.

“Naw, Bro,” Fred assured him with a friendly slap on the back. “We’re not as dim-witted as all that.”

Making a big show of scratching his head, George demanded, “What was that high-brow insult Umbridge threw at you?”

“She called us abecedarians,” Harry supplied lowly.

“Right,” George blithely nodded. “Made me picture a group of orangutans trying to learn their alphabet.”

“Not that we haven’t been described as monkeys in the past,” his twin remarked candidly.

“So the novelty shop is a monkey business?” Ginny quipped.

“Rightly so!” Fred proudly affirmed even as Ginny’s laugh rippled. “Still it only took about a dozen tries to perfect the Stealth Stumblers.”

“Forty-one is a tribute to the prophetic natures of our birthdays,” George addressed specifically to Ron. “April first is --”

“April Fool’s Day,” Ron issued on cue.

“Dedicated to jokesters the world over,” Fred rhapsodized.

Shaking hands all around, Moody offered his appreciation, “Great work, lads. That’s one impressive bag of tricks you have on hand.”

“We should be thanking you for allowing us to test our prototype in the field,” George returned, modesty lending a hint of color to his cheeks.

“What did the ebony fog look like from the house?” Fred urged as he prepared to make some quick notes.

Harry took a moment to bring up the image in his mind’s eye. “Hardly noticeable from a distance, but definitely added to the eeriness that kept Umbridge and her henchmen unbalanced.”

“Really disorienting to walk through,” Ron testified. “Could hardly see my own feet.”

“Tonks’ ghostly wolves seem to float over the ground,” Harry recalled. “Almost as if they could’ve charged the house with a mere thought.”

With a knowing wink, Fred observed, “Patronuses can swoop just like that.”

“Hermione had old Toad-Face convinced that Remus could commune with his lupine ancestors,” Ginny volunteered.

“I did begin by saying everything was pure conjecture,” Hermione insisted.

Ron added, “But she was convinced by what her eyes were telling her.”

“And not her brain,” Harry interjected wryly.

“Just imagining Remus as a new-age Necromancer is funny in itself,” Percy chortled as he joined them.

“He’d have to borrow Xeno’s outlandish robes,” Bill opined.

Draping a dark arm over each of the twin’s shoulders, Kingsley’s deep voice rang forth, “Please tell me those products aren’t on the market yet.”

“The party lights are,” Fred replied. “But the disorienting fog is spanking new.”

“I’d like to appropriate it for use by the Auror Department,” Kingsley proposed. “Can we have an exclusive contract drawn up?”

“Just as long as I’m not involved,” Harry cautioned. “Major conflict of interest here.” Not only was he one of the twins’ investors, but being their brother-in-law would complicate things further.

With a broad smile, Kingsley promised, “I’ll make sure it’s one of the final actions I take as Head Auror.”






As Kingsley and Percy excused themselves to call a last minute press conference, Eddie couldn’t shake the feeling that something was being overlooked. He didn’t interfere when Moody released Crabbe and Goyle into Amos Diggory’s hands for whatever disciplinary actions their new Head warranted.

“I’ll need you both to make an official statement,” Moody instructed to the chagrined faces turned in his direction. “But since Harry has agreed to drop the original complaint, that can wait until Monday.”

“Don’t be sitting pretty at home, men. Looks like we’re going to be reviewing those guidelines for civilian interventions “ especially when it comes to werewolf issues,” Amos warned as he led them away. “Our duty is to foster understanding, not unjust oppression.”

Moody turned his attention to Umbridge who continued to twitch against the Full-Body Bind. Such force of will, Eddie considered silently; it was a good thing the senior-most Auror had added an air gag at the last moment.

In a melodic tone that approximated her own, Moody suggested, “Save your voice for the official interrogation, Dolores. We’re all just dying to hear what you have to say for yourself.”

Since both Proudfoot and Savage were currently assigned to the graveyard shift, Moody instructed them to escort Umbridge back to Auror Headquarters to begin the paperwork. He promised to join them in short order.

As Moody turned in his direction, Eddie knew he was about to be dismissed for the night. With sudden clarity, he leaned over and spoke tersely into Moody’s ear.

Nodding gravely, Moody mumbled, “You raise a valid point.”

The man’s magical eye made a dizzying circuit of the area. Zeroing in on Harry, Moody waved him over. “Eddie here located a small wrinkle. Since Umbridge’s detainment is going to be based upon today’s events, there may be some question as to how she was able to circumvent a Fidelius Charm.”

“Wouldn’t want anyone to question the validity of that recording, either,” Eddie amended.

“So you need to establish the exact steps that she took,” Harry summarized.

“It would also give us something to compare to the version she tells us during questioning,” Eddie considered.

Harry issued a rueful chuckle. “Hard to believe you actually graduated the year before Umbridge descended on Hogwarts, Eddie. You have her personality traits down to a ‘T’.”

“Seeing as how you’re school mates, Eddie, why don’t you get Harry to walk you through Dolores’ actions?” Moody proposed.

“Glad to do it,” Harry accommodated.

“Take some crime scene photos, too,” Moody reminded.

“Got the camera right here. Miniaturized, of course.” Eddie confirmed as he tapped the inside pocket of his Auror robes. “The report will be on your desk when you arrive tomorrow.”

“Not so fast!” Moody growled. “What time does your regular shift end, lad?”

Without hesitation, Eddie replied, “Midnight. But that doesn’t mean --”

“Yes, it does,” Moody rumbled amicably. “As soon as you finish walking through the crime scene, you’re off the clock. Organize your notes during your next shift. There’s no one breathing down our backs on this one.”

“In other words, save your adrenaline for when it’s needed,” Harry attested as he steered Eddie towards the house that would not become visible for a few more yards. “Same goes for you, Mad-Eye,” he shot with a smirk over his shoulder.

“Are you kidding?” Moody volleyed back. “I’ve been waiting years to see dear Dolores processed like a common criminal. I feel guilty not having to pay for the privilege.”

“In that case, take some photos for the rest of us,” Harry returned. “There’s an extra camera in my bottom desk drawer. The password is --”

“No need,” Moody called back. “My eye already made a note of it on the first day.”

Seeing Eddie’s dazed expression, Harry clarified, “I owe that crotchety old war-horse my life, you know. While everyone else was too squeamish, he drained a good third of my blood to make sure there were no lingering effects from Voldemort’s poison.”

“Isn’t such sudden blood loss dangerous?” Eddie inquired with concern.

“Considering there was no known antidote to the poison, I’m extraordinary lucky.”

Harry guided Eddie by the arm past the boundaries of the Fidelius Charm. Without instructions specifically from the Secret-Keeper, it was the only method that would work. He waited for the sharp intake of breath that signified the other man had just witnessed the house materializing out of thin air. A bit like Brigadoon, Tonks liked to say “ but her Muggle references could be a bit obscure.

Deciding it was wisest to gloss over Dobby’s contribution for now, Harry urged, “Come, we’ll have to catch up with Remus. He’s the one who figured out how Umbridge outsmarted us.”

“Professor Lupin?” Eddie posed with undisguised eagerness. “He was my favorite N.E.W.T. level teacher. The only one whose classes were fun.”

“Be sure to tell him that,” Harry chuckled.

“So glad you brought a guest,” Ginny provided as Harry made quick introductions. “Remus told Teddy that the rest of us had been detained due to an unexpected visit from a schoolmate.”

Harry grimaced. “Tough sell with Umbridge.”

Ginny nodded. “You know how many questions Teddy likes to ask.”

“That’s my godson,” Harry explained. “It’s a right shame you won’t get a chance to meet him and his sister tonight.”

“Their father evacuated them at the first sign of trouble,” Ginny explained.

Eddie nodded absently as he joined the small gathering making its way towards the expansive house before them. Once inside the patio, he passed a familiar face huddled in deep conversation with none other than Severus Snape. Definitely not one of his favorite teachers, although the taciturn man would probably be pleased to hear that as well. As for the young woman, wasn’t her name Hillary? Something that began with an ‘H’ that was for certain. He’d ask Harry later. The one thing he remembered clearly was that she had been top of her form in every single subject.
Thirty-Five: Hatching Plots by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Thirty-Five
Hatching Plots




Having dispatched Hagrid with messages for the Headmistress, Snape took Hermione aside as they walked up to the main house.

“If I may have a moment, Miss Granger,” he began. “It’s about the mobile…”

“I’ll see that Harry takes excellent care of it,” Hermione assured him.

“Actually, I needed to confer with you. Your knowledge of these types of things far exceeds mine,” he admitted sullenly.

“They come in black, if that’s what concerns you.” Hermione grinned.

“Good to know.” Unfazed, he stipulated, “I need to round up a small gang. Minerva says these things can be made to call one another, rather like a pack of dogs.”

Hermione nodded. “You’d have to be nearby so you could observe who answered, though. Not feasible within a vast castle. Besides, all the mobiles would have to be reconfigured to work on school grounds which may be impossible.”

“Yet this one allows for typed messages.”

“Texting, it’s called. You’d have no trouble sending texts to the offending parties.”

“I was rather hoping to menace them in person,” Snape confided darkly. “Convey a proper lesson about bringing contraband onto school grounds.”

“I see.”

“Do you really, Miss Granger?” Snape hissed as he rose to his full height.

Hermione squared her chin to demonstrate she was unmoved by his usual tactics. “They’re so intent on discussing Osiris, perhaps it’s time he broke into their conversation.”

“The Lupins filled you in on the party details, I see. Rho was instrumental in that; I merely did what I was told.”

“I got the impression you relished the role of presiding over the damned. Rather reminded you of Slytherin House."

Snape drummed his white fingers on the wrought iron of the patio table. “If I allow that was mildly amusing, if patently inaccurate, will you assist me? Osiris presides over the Afterlife surrounded by the worthy. The unworthy are fed to the crocodile-headed beast.”

“The Devourer,” Hermione supplied.

“Sounds like one of those breeding experiments of Hagrid’s,” Ron volunteered as he wrapped his arm around his wife protectively. “Dobby insists on making everyone a late night snack. Omelets. What would you like in yours, dearest?”

“Surprise me,” Hermione returned with a quick kiss. “What about you, Severus?”

“As appealing as that sounds, I really must get back to my wife,” Snape demurred with a curt nod.

“Not just yet,” Hermione boldly caught him by the arm of his black frock coat. “We have a conspiracy to hatch. Please tell Dobby I’ll be a few extra minutes, will you, Ron?”

“You submitted Umbridge to a first-rate needling, Professor. Can’t thank you enough,” Ron remarked.

“You did a wonderful job yourself, sweetheart,” Hermione returned with an affectionate smile. “Umbridge didn’t quite know what to make of your comments about Remus.”

“How well I remember your non-responses from class, Mr. Weasley,” Snape drawled. “Good thing Dolores was willing to fill in the blanks for herself.”

Slightly put out, Ron responded, “I was going to elaborate how Remus kept his ability with languages practically to himself, but the Toad never gave me the chance.”

“Masterfully played nonetheless,” Snape noted.

“Nice to know she rankled the faculty just as much as the rest of us,” Ron added in parting.

Well, she could have told Ron that, Hermione mused inwardly. There was never any doubt in her mind that Snape detested Umbridge along with everyone else; he just had to be more subtle about it. Not because he feared the power of her appointed office, but because it was part of his carefully crafted façade. Considering how much of the infamous Inquisitorial Squad was drawn from his own House, one couldn’t fault his prudence.

How well she remembered the day the Toad Queen had taken it upon herself to inspect the Potions lesson. The black coals imbedded in Snape’s eyes had burned as he answered questions in a voice completely devoid of emotion.

Granted, she herself had never been one of Snape’s fans “ a designation seemingly reserved for the favored few sorted into Slytherin House. She’d received the sharp end of his tongue more often than not despite her best efforts to shine in his class. But she always defended his brilliant grasp of his subject matter even as she commiserated with the boys that the man’s teaching skills bordered on the anti-social.

Harry had been so put out over the venomous words Snape had thrown at him that he’d stomped out of the room the instant class was dismissed. He wouldn’t accept Hermione’s conviction that Snape would’ve dressed down the next student, regardless. It was just part of the pent up rage the professor could not allow himself to voice to Umbridge’s ugly face.

She’d left Harry complaining to Ron in the corridor and doubled back. Much to her surprise, Snape was extolling the last of his students to wash their hands thoroughly in the deep troughs as potion ingredients could be deadly. True enough, but totally out of character. The professor she knew was more of a mind that if a student was careless enough to gnaw on potion-splattered fingers, he served what he got. Consider it a bonus lesson.

So she had pretended to be searching frantically through her satchel as the last Slytherin offered goodbye words that would have gotten another student assigned to detention. With a deep sigh, Snape had then turned his back to the open door and proceeded to wash his own hands vigorously. To remove the taint of Umbridge, Hermione couldn’t help thinking.

Just as he reached for the pumice soap, he’d found her standing at his elbow.

“Miss Granger,” he drawled, “I would’ve thought you’d be tagging along with Potter and Weasley.”

“Not today, sir. I’m in no hurry to arrive in the Dark Arts classroom.”

“Not your favorite subject?” he asked as he eyed her with dark curiosity.

Hermione shrugged noncommittally, but he seemed to understand her non-verbal cue: not anymore.

“Did you wash the salamander blood from under your nails?”

“Yes, Professor. I even discarded the quill that got splashed when I decanted the final solution.”

Snape nodded absently as he continued to work up a boisterous lather. “Then why have you returned? Was there a misspelled word on the blackboard? A misprint in your textbook? Perhaps you wish to critique with my presentation skills?” His deep voice had drawn her out as it mocked her habits. “Got a proverbial bee in your bonnet?”

Hermione resisted the urge to flinch before his scrutiny. “I’ve heard that burning a clump of dried sage does wonders to clear the atmosphere,” she dared. “At least it says so in my Herbology text.”

“Duly noted,” Snape replied as he concentrated on toweling his pale fingers dry. “Is that all?”

“Yes, sir.” Hermione was halfway towards the exit when his next words stopped her dead in her tracks.

“For the record, Miss Granger, sage smoke makes my eyes water. I believe that scene was played to great effect by Sybill Trelawney. I would prefer there be no confusion.”

With that, he had turned on his heel and stalked into his adjoining office. The quiet click of the door reminded Hermione that she was standing there with her mouth hanging open.

What had she been realistically expecting? she’d chided herself as she hurried to her next class. After all, he could have chosen to deduct House points for her impertinence; or more likely, upbraided her for her deplorable lack of restraint, she decided.

The closeness of Snape’s voice brought Hermione back to the present. “You have an idea,” he pronounced once Ron had disappeared into the house.

Settling to the task, they argued over the exact wording of the text message. Within a quarter hour, they had settled on a preliminary draft that read:

Hallowed greetings! You are being extended an exclusive invitation to the next Slytherin gathering at Abydos. In an effort to provide more realism, our very own Hagrid has been granted a special variance by the Experimental Breeding Office to create a fearsome beast for next term’s rituals. All the unworthy who bring their Muggle communication devices to school will find said gadgets flung to the Devourer. He is not too particular if your corporeal body is still attached.

Your friend in death,

Osiris


Hermione tore off the top sheet of her memo pad and held out the scribbled words to her former professor. “Feel free to tweak as you see fit.” If the message exceeded the length for a text, she would simply send a link, she considered inwardly.

“Your aptitude for mischief has not dimmed,” he observed wryly. “Something unique to Gryffindor?”

“Hardly. A true artiste would’ve managed to get Mrs. Norris fed to the Devourer as well.”

“Indeed. I’m not particularly fond of cats myself.” The metal chair legs groaned as he pushed himself away from the wrought iron table. “Thank you, Miss Granger,” he issued with a slight inclination of his head. Rather like a courtly bow, she surprised herself by thinking.

“Professor, please. It’s Weasley now. Ron and I are --”

With a dark flash of his fathomless eyes, Snape deftly cut across her, “Married. I haven’t taken leave of my senses. Who do you think searched out that book of non-traditional household spells in the Shanghai book markets?”

Blushing slightly, Hermione acknowledged, “A very thoughtful gift. Even more so that you double-checked it hadn’t been jinxed to resist a standard translation spell.”

“What would’ve been the use otherwise? Antique dust-collectors only hold appeal for someone like Dumbledore.” Was that a hint of a smile he’d quickly swallowed?

“A bit like himself,” she added wryly. “Not that I would've ever said so to his face.”

“No? I often did. He seemed to think it was extraordinarily funny. Always caught him smirking behind my back. He categorically denied it, of course.”

“Why persist with Granger then?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Her blank expression in return to his cocked eyebrow spurred him on, “‘Ms. Weasley’ can denote a number of different people; Granger is unique.”

“Rather like Tonks and Remus not confusing students with two Professor Lupins,” she supplied.

“In superficial parlance, yes.”

“Oh.” He’d meant it as a compliment, she realized. The dour professor actually paid her a compliment. A bit convoluted; but not backhanded, not by any means. And it had only taken what? Over a decade?

“Pity I can’t extend the same courtesy to Mr. Weasley,” Snape remarked in a snide reference to Ron’s overlarge family.

With a broad smile, Hermione replied, “You could just call him Ron. Or Ronald, if you prefer something more formal.”

“Perhaps,” was the most he allowed. “I’ll see that you’re issued a feather.”

Once again he’d caught her off guard. “A feather?”

“That’s the manner of invitation to the next gathering at Abydos. I would be honored if you and your husband would be my guests. Fancy dress is optional, of course.”

With a sharp bow that reminded her of Durmstrang, he strode off into the darkness beyond the Fidelius Charm where it took considerably less effort to Apparate directly home. Rho would surely be waiting up for a play by play account over steaming mugs of bitter Turkish coffee.

Hermione was stunned as she sat there on the darkened patio. The sound of laughter washed over her from the open windows of the house, but still she didn’t move. If she wasn’t mistaken, she’d just assisted Severus Snape in pranking his students. He would likely maintain it was a disciplinary measure intended to chastise them; perhaps an act of revenge, if he was hard-pressed. But he was just deluding himself.






“I was never here,” Remus asserted with a wide grin as he took a snapshot of Eddie with Harry, Ginny and Tonks. Since Hermione and Ron had been present at the Burrow when the children Flooed in, they were judiciously omitted from the photograph of the others positioned before the drawing room hearth.

“For Teddy,” Harry confirmed. “Minerva will have already relayed that the name of my unexpected school chum was Eddie.”

“Dobby will take the blame for snapping the photo “ if the subject even comes up,” Tonks supplied knowingly. “Won’t you, Dobby?”

“Yes, Mistress,” Dobby trilled. “Master Teddy is certain to ask.”

After that, it did not take much urging for Eddie to join them around the late night table, especially since he vividly recalled Tonks from Hufflepuff House.

“I was a lowly third year when you graduated,” Eddie explained. “So I don’t expect you’d remember me. I was the idiot who kept trying out for the Quidditch team and ending up in the Hospital Wing instead.”

Tonks chortled, “We called you The Medic -- since it was clear you were destined for a career at St. Mungo’s.” With a sprightly twinkle, she added, “Or had a secret fancy for Poppy Pomfrey that you were too shy to openly admit.”

Eddie shook his head ruefully. “Not that my record with women is much better,” he confessed.

“Anyone we know?” Ginny posed as she speared a large chunk of fresh asparagus.

“A bit personal, don’t you think?” Remus noted.

“Then he shouldn’t have introduced the subject himself,” Ginny countered as she favored Eddie with a warm smile.

“Aren’t those the rules of evidence that apply on Muggle television?” Hermione ventured.

“I believe she’s got you there,” Tonks affirmed. “Although we won’t hold you to it.”

“Seeing as how you’re a novice and all,” Harry volunteered.

“Is this what passes for small talk?” Eddie inquired as he turned to Ron on his right.

“Consider yourself lucky, mate,” Ron testified as he swallowed the last of the ham. “My mum doesn’t let you wiggle out no matter how much you squirm.”

“It’s true,” Ginny confirmed. “Might be more efficient if she simply handed visitors a questionnaire at the door.”

“Not that she appreciated it when Percy suggested it to her point blank,” Harry observed wryly.

“Percy Weasley?” Eddie cried. “The Minister’s Chief of Protocol? Why he’s always so brisk and businesslike.”

“Yeah, that’s him,” Ron agreed. “He got the officious gene that bypassed the rest of the family.”

“Probably annoyed Molly that much more that the suggestion came from him,” Hermione sniggered.

“So, Eddie,” Ginny leaned over from his other side. “You were telling us…”

“I happen to be between catastrophes at the moment,” he capitulated. “As to the past, first there was Cho Chang. Got myself sent to St. Mungo’s after a minor scuffle and there she was, apprenticing to be a Healer’s assistant.”

“Harry remembers Cho quite vividly,” Hermione teased.

Before Harry had a chance to take issue, Eddie attested, “So she told me. Here I was with mixed feelings about following the Boy-Who-Lived and it turned out Cho only cared that I’d been chummy with the Boy-Who-Died.”

“Cedric,” Harry commiserated. “That’s pretty much why she sought me out as well.”

“In other words,” Ginny summarized, “you shouldn’t take that one to heart.”

“Thanks,” Eddie returned. “Then there was Lavender Brown.”

“Blimey!” Ron exclaimed as he nearly bit his tongue.

“So you do remember her,” Eddie replied. “I wasn’t certain if she’d been in Gryffindor, but then she looked so much different than what I recalled from school.”

“I’m certain Ron could tell you all sorts of stories,” Ginny teased as Ron’s ears turned as bright red as the strawberries in the bowls before them.

Displaying considerably more generosity than she had at the time, Hermione interjected, “Lavender had a soft spot for Quidditch heroes.”

“I’m fairly certain she and Ron never had anything in common,” Harry noted.

“Or so they would have discovered if they’d taken time to have an actual conversation,” Ginny quipped as Ron stared daggers at her.

Much to their surprise, Eddie issued a sharp laugh. “Consider it hours saved, Ron. Take it from me: it would've been more rewarding to establish rapport with a Pygmy Puff.”

“Which seem to come in the very colors that Lavender favored for her wardrobe!” Ginny supplied rakishly.

“Can’t say I really noticed,” Ernie confessed. “Didn’t rightly know her at school. But years later, I had occasion to ride the Knight Bus and there she was in her purple conductor’s uniform. What an improvement over Stan Shunpike, I have to say!”

Harry’s ears perked up at the mention of Stan. “Please tell me he wasn’t out of a job once he’d been absolved of any Death Eater connections.”

“Promoted, actually,” Eddie clarified. “He’s driving now that old Ernie Prang was finally convinced to retire. A bit of a fossil, wasn’t he?”






By the time they saw their guests to the door, it was a truly scandalous hour. Or so Tonks remarked when she was finally alone with her husband.

“I didn’t get a chance to thank Severus for his assistance,” she noted with some regret.

Remus gave an exhausted sigh as he slumped on the bed to ease off his socks. “You’ll see him at school on Monday, cherub.”

“He was truly masterful, Remus. You really have no idea. Perhaps Harry will allow you to listen to the official recording.”

“You know very well that would violate Auror evidence rules,” he remarked, slipping his soiled shirt off his shoulders. “Besides, I prefer the old-fashioned method where the observer flavors the narrative with his or her own perceptions. Makes for a tastier brew.”

“Then just imagine how Severus pitched his voice to draw Umbridge and company into his confidence,” Tonks elaborated from the ottoman at his feet. “A Compulsion Spell without discernable use of magic.”

“Dolores was that gullible?”

“Not at first. You could tell she was leaning that way though. As if his pedigree from Slytherin made him more reliable to her way of thinking.”

Remus nodded sagely. “She’d been duped by the Gryffindors in the past. Not to mention the Niffler that someone Levitated through her office window “ although I was sworn to secrecy about that.”

Tonks dissolved into gales of laugher. “No wonder the bloody woman had trust issues! But she wasn’t so easily duped by Snape. She actually turned on him and demanded to know what side he was on.”

“Just the words a double-agent longs to hear.”

“You’re not giving him enough credit, Remus. He was totally impassive as she railed at him. Replying, ‘The same side I’ve always been on: my own. A policy any true Slytherin learns from day one.’”

“So he overcame her objections with true candor.”

“It worked,” Tonks shrugged. “It didn’t take so much urging for her assistant to heed his words.”

“Crabbe or Goyle?”

“You mean they’re not interchangeable?”

Remus chuckled intimately. “How well I remember them from my Dark Arts class. Their abilities seemed interchangeably dismal then.”

“Tell me this, though: what made you come back from Hogwarts?”

“Severus sent me a Patronus. Didn’t you say he was standing behind everyone in the kitchen?”

“He was the tallest of the group.”

“That means he had his back to the hearth,” Remus surmised. “The better to dispatch a stealthy messenger up the chimney unnoticed.”

Tonks was lost in thought for a moment. “He would’ve had to rely on words he said aloud to the rest of us.”

“Likely so. Which accounted for his tone.”

“How did you know how to play it, Remus? Dolores’ expectations of a werewolf are so clichéd…”

“Yet I managed to give her just what she was looking for?” he finished. “I considered the source of my stage directions and played it according to his rules.”

“Which explains why she looked ready to burst a blood vessel!”

“No one’s as infuriating as Severus. Especially his particular version of poisoned small talk.” Easing a freshly laundered T-shirt over his head, Remus pondered, “When did you tell Minerva we’d be back for the children?”

“Harry and I will retrieve them around breakfast time,” Tonks replied with quiet emphasis. “You need to sleep uninterrupted once all those potions wear off.”

Sliding beneath the quilt, Remus quipped, “No sense tumbling into another foreign fireplace and going back to the beginning.”

“A story I intend to hear in exquisite detail,” she insisted, cuddling up next to his warm body.

“Absolutely,” he smiled in return. “But first there’s something I need to tell you about Phoebe… ”






Despite the vortex of worry that had threatened to swallow Remus ever since he’d discovered Phoebe’s unique abilities, his in-laws were able to make everything fall into perspective. All they had to do was remind him how their own world had been overturned when Dora had first changed her hair color within a day of birth. Teddy wouldn’t have posed any unfamiliar problems; but with Phoebe, he and Tonks were facing the same questions that had plagued Andromeda and Ted over thirty years ago.

“The midwife Healer warned us that such a thing was possible,” Tonks reminded everyone who would listen. “We just never thought in a million years…”

After all, it had practically been a million to one shot. Make that 900,000 to one since their first child had already established himself as Metamorphmagus. With no records of Animorphmagi births within the past five hundred years, though, there was precious little information.

“Firstly,” Remus questioned, “do we have to submit Phoebe to some sort of registration process?”

“You mean like an Animagus?” Andromeda clarified with a gentle smile. “Likely not. Metamorphmagi have no such requirement since they can assume a multitude of appearances; I’d imagine it’s the same for an Animorph.”

“Assuming is not the same as knowing,” Remus countered with innate caution.

“True, take it up with the new Minister. If the wording in the law is inexact, I’m certain Kingsley will see to it before it becomes an issue,” Ted advised. “Just how many animals has my granddaughter mastered?”

“Just one for now,” Tonks confirmed. “A rather inoffensive black and white rabbit. But that might likely change.”

Andromeda and Ted exchanged looks as it all made sense. “The bunny that showed up for Harry’s wedding photos,” Ted chuckled.

Remus nodded. “Fleur’s girls reported similar sightings at the Burrow, but only Teddy knew for certain that it was all Phoebe’s doing.”

“What I can’t understand is why Phoebe didn’t demonstrate her talents for us?” Tonks worried. “Did she think her own family wouldn’t accept her?”

“Have you done anything to make her think she was different than everyone else because she’d shown no magical abilities before this?” Ted prompted.

“Of course not!” Tonks shot back. “We told her that it was Teddy who was unusual by displaying his talents straight from the womb --”

“”although we phrased it a bit differently,” Remus interjected with a dry chuckle.

“We assured Phoebe that she was just like Victoire and Yvette,” Tonks elaborated.

“So she fit right in with them,” Remus emphasized.

“Then I think it all comes down to temperament,” Andromeda announced. Turning to her own daughter, she elaborated, “Teddy’s just like you, dear, fearless and outgoing. Phoebe takes after Remus, more introspective. Being the center of attention is not so important to her. She’d want to be certain she’d mastered a skill in private before deciding whether she wanted to demonstrate it for anyone else.”

“Even if it’s her own little microcosm,” Remus echoed as the wisdom of the explanation hit home.

With amusement dancing in her eyes, Andromeda volunteered, “I also have a theory about how you two, in particular, managed to produce an Animorphmagus. Completely unscientific, of course.”

“All knowledge starts from theories,” Remus urged in his inimitable manner.

“You realize that not all witches and wizards are able to become Animagi. It requires an innate ability that no amount of dedicated study can overcome.”

“Some are destined to fail, regardless,” Remus confirmed, recalling how Peter was so sure he’d fall into that category when James and Sirius succeeded months before he finally did.

“Despite those who would argue that a werewolf had no business trying to change into yet another shape, Remus managed it,” Tonks supplied.

“Couple that with Dora’s abilities and, voila, the result is someone who can change into animal shapes at will,” Andromeda concluded.

“You make it sound like a foregone conclusion,” Remus allowed.

“Not entirely,” Andromeda noted. “But it makes a lot more sense than how Ted and I could produce a Metamorph in the first place. Now that’s one for the record books!”

“In terms of schooling, I suppose a Muggle elementary school is out,” Tonks mused.

“It would’ve been for Teddy anyway,” her father affirmed. “You had much more control over your hair by the time you were his age.”

“How did she manage that?” Remus implored, eager for the details.

“I wanted to play with the children I could see from our house,” Tonks answered.

“That’s not an issue way out here in the country,” Ted considered. “But in the city, she might’ve stood out.”

“Not that you don’t see all sorts of hair colors bobbing down the London streets,” Tonks scoffed.

“Not so much on children,” Remus concurred.

“Not in our neighborhood, anyway,” Andromeda supplied.

With unrestrained delight, she recounted how Dora was determined enough to control her appearance for a number of hours at a time. Only when she became angry or frustrated did she slip up. Each time they heard the back screen bang and heavy footsteps tromping up the stairs, they knew their daughter had come home to nurse her anger in private. Not wanting her to feel like such an oddity, though, Ted had sought out a progressive Muggle primary school where no one would question a child who preferred unconventional hair colors, just as long as she remained consistent for the duration of the day.

“There were few incidents where any memory modification was necessary,” Andromeda concluded.

“Not to mention that all that practice came in handy when I went to Hogwarts,” Tonks offered. “Here I thought I could finally be my real self among all the budding witches and wizards, but some of my teachers were not so liberal minded.”

“Didn’t want you to clash with the Hufflepuff colors, dear,” Andromeda chuckled at the memory.

“So I did all versions of yellow,” Tonks recalled vividly. “From the palest platinum to the muddiest gold and all streaky variations in between. I even managed a neon version that practically glowed in the dark.”

“That got you almost sent to detention,” Ted stressed. “It’s probably a good thing you’ve managed to secure a private tutor, Remus. Saves all that extra worrying over what are essentially trivial matters.”

Not that the Dowager knew about Phoebe’s newest accomplishments, Remus considered, giving rise to a whole new set of worries.








It wasn’t until a few days later that they found a moment to be alone on their private patio. As the exuberant whoops of the children drifted from the other side of the wall, Remus took the opportunity to relay the details of his truncated escape to Hogwarts.

Tonks found the conversation between the Marauders to be particularly amusing. “Face it, Remus: you were tripping!” She doubled over with laughter.

“Dumbledore would’ve taken a more philosophical approach to re-examining the messages from my subconscious,” Remus sniffed.

“Sure, he’d have a fancy phrase for it. But it’s still a hallucinogenic episode. In other words: a trip.”

“To Grimmauld Place?” Remus deadpanned.

Tonks snorted. “Shows how buttoned-down you can be at times. Besides, it really wasn’t Grimmauld Place, but rather a disused room at Hogwarts.”

“The Marauder’s home turf. Only if that’s the case, where was Peter?”

“Your subconscious no longer sees him as part of the group,” Tonks opined.

“Not so. My school day memories often include Peter,” Remus corrected. “I just can’t rationalize that image with the deranged rat he became in adulthood.”

“You might as well ask yourself why your waking dreams tend to include dead people.”

Momentarily stunned, Remus pondered, “Is that supposed to mean anything?”

Tonks smiled affectionately. “Only that despite your best efforts, you’re just like everyone else.”

“Care to elaborate?”

“What would be the point of imagining conversations with the living?” Tonks posited. “Just go out and say the words if it’s that important. Or bide your time until the moment is right. Whatever.” With deliberate emphasis, she added, “No more options exist with the dead.”

“So it’s my psyche’s way of dealing with the things I never had the chance to say,” Remus summarized. “Quite insightful.”

With a playful twinkle, Tonks amended, “Not to mention that Peter was there all along.”

“How so?”

“Your allusions to Purgatory,” she maintained. “That’s where you imagine Peter’s serving his personal eternity.”

Taking a long moment to digest her analysis, Remus remarked, “You’re quite good at this.”

Nonplussed, Tonks shrugged in return. “Just practiced at quelling Teddy or Phoebe after a persistent nightmare.”

“Irrational fears are much harder to justify,” he agreed.

“And you, my love, are not as inscrutable as you’d like to think,” she proclaimed as she leaned over and kissed him on the nose.

Just over the brick wall, Teddy was weaving and dodging astride his flying stallion. Riding together, Ginny and Phoebe were in hot pursuit, their whipping hair fanning behind them like a russet and gold horse’s tail.

Refocusing on her husband, Tonks supplied, “As to the subliminal message, however, I think it’s time you and Harry took over the annual remembrance ceremony at Grimmauld Place.”

“I wouldn’t want to exclude you, cherub. Sirius was your cousin, after all.”

“Which is why I haven’t minded accompanying you in the past. But it’s time you included the next generation. Harry was quite attached to his godfather in the short time they had together.”
Thirty-Six: A Transition of Government by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Thirty-Six
A Transition of Government



Long days became the norm in the weeks following Kingsley Shacklebolt’s official confirmation as the new Minister for Magic. Restructuring departments required endless meetings and careful diplomacy to see that his new vision was maintained without stepping on too many sensitive toes.

Kingsley’s absence from the Auror Department had left Deputy Head Alfonso Kirby temporarily in charge but it was abundantly clear that he and Moody did not work well together. Add to that the heavy load the Umbridge case had placed upon their shoulders and Harry was really beginning to feel the strain.

Returning from a protracted meeting one evening, he found that he’d totally missed saying good night to his godchildren. What’s more, he’d been so swamped with work that he hadn’t even glanced at the day’s paper which was folded on the hallway credenza.

Umbridge Accused of Collaboration with Dark Forces


In an unprecedented move, a laundry list of charges have been filed against Dolores Umbridge, former Undersecretary for retired Minister Cornelius Fudge. Alleging that she colluded with Voldemort’s forces, at issue are all manner of questionable activities within the Ministry of Magic as well as during her brief tenure at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

“Absolute rubbish!” Ms. Umbridge’s solicitor released in an official statement. “Since when has it become a crime to believe in traditional wizarding values? My client may be a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to the current administration’s multi-cultural agenda, but her actions only demonstrated her commitment to her ideals…. Are we going to be imprisoning my elderly Nana next because she still takes pride in her family tree?”

According to established protocols, the Auror Department refuses to provide any details concerning an ongoing investigation. They do confirm, however, that Ms. Umbridge is currently being held for questioning …


Harry averted his weary eyes as the print blurred to resemble a row of tiny ants. Those relentless reporters had been crowded into the Ministry Atrium for days now, requiring him to wrap his Invisibility Cloak over his Auror robes when he departed for work each morning. Today, he’d even found a few who’d wheedled their way into the Auror anteroom. Luckily, he’d managed to dodge down a side corridor and through the back entrance. He shuddered to think of those limpets attaching themselves when confronted with a familiar face.

“Tell me you haven’t forgotten to eat,” Ginny implored as she gazed at his droopy eyelids with concern. In the background, Dobby twisted his apron in the kitchen doorway.

“Just a bit of stomach upset,” Harry admitted. “That Caribbean fare Kingsley prefers can get a bit spicy.” Looking around the spectrally quiet house, he added, “Perhaps a digestive draught before turning in myself.”

“Soup will settle the Master’s stomach; just you wait and see,” Dobby offered as he hustled Harry towards the kitchen table.

Ginny occupied herself with brewing herbal tea specifically blended to promote relaxation. By the time she was pouring Harry a cup to accompany the sorrel soup, Remus wandered in from the direction of his study.

“Any news?” he posed congenially as he helped himself to some tea and scones.

“Moody and Kirby are like oil and vinegar,” Harry replied between mouthfuls of soothing liquids.

Tonks nodded knowingly as she joined the group. “Sounds like the situation which prompted Mad-Eye’s retirement the first time around.”

“Power vacuum,” Ginny put forth, stirring a bit of clover honey into her cup.

“I’d be lost without Moody,” Harry opined. “His skills are crucial to the Umbridge case.”

“Did Kingsley have any ideas?” Remus urged. “Presuming you’re not sworn to secrecy.”

Harry issued a dry chuckle. “I’m not an Unspeakable “ yet. But this absolutely has to stay between the four of us for now. Make that five. Did you hear me, Dobby?”

“Yes, Master. Elves do not gossip. And Hagrid is only concerned about matters because he cares for you.”

“You’ll have to let me tell Hagrid in my own way,” Harry clarified. “This time at least.”

With a nod of his overlarge head, Dobby redirected his attention to his baking.

Taking in the expectant faces turned in his direction, Harry capitulated with a weary sigh, “Kingsley wants me to assume the post of Head Auror.” He cut their congratulations off in mid-stream. “I’m not certain I should accept. Seems too much like a viper pit at the moment.”

Recognizing that Harry needed a sounding board more than anything else, Remus gently probed, “Isn’t Kingsley willing to work with you?”

Harry nodded morosely. “Only I haven’t the first notion of what’s needed. All I can think about is how Kirby is going to be incensed that I leap-frogged over his head…But truthfully, I don’t think I can work with that man, either.”

“What makes you say that?” Ginny posed as her gentle fingers unknotted his shoulders.

“No sense of humor,” Tonks interceded.

Harry agreed. “Moody’s irreverence cheers me up. It’s not a demoralizing force when we’re reminded to not take ourselves too seriously.”

“Can’t Kingsley find another spot for Alfie?” Tonks supposed. “Other than the Centaur Office.”

“He wants to establish a new bureau of Munitions and Manifests to help cut down on the paperwork.”

“Sounds like an ideal post for someone with Kirby’s pecuniary talents,” Remus concurred.

“Right,” Harry concurred. “Only then Kingsley’s wants me to nominate a deputy head of my own choosing. That’s where I hit the proverbial brick wall.”

“Mad-Eye won’t do it,” Tonks surmised.

“Doesn’t want to lose the flexibility of his adjunct status,” Remus echoed.

“Mentioned something about Azkaban complete with dementors as being preferable.” Harry felt his stomach begin to unknot as he conceded, “Only I’ve never worked closely with anyone else. Other than Kingsley. And I can’t very well suggest you, Remus!”

“You just don’t want to be stuck in a marriage of convenience,” Ginny summarized.

“Select someone who’s close to retirement age,” Tonks volunteered. “That way you can take your time finding the ideal candidate while he marks time.”

“It’s a tried and true method,” Remus encouraged.

Harry stopped to think for a moment. “There’s John Dawlish. But didn’t you say he was a right prig to work with, Tonks?”

“Sexist pig, to be exact,” Tonks supplied. “A problem you shouldn’t encounter.”

“Just leave your lacy robes in the back of the closet,” Ginny quipped.

“Especially the mauve ones,” Remus deadpanned.

Harry couldn’t help laughing at their antics. “Thanks, I needed that. If you don’t mind me changing the subject “ with great relief, I might add “ there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask Tonks.”

As she pantomimed being caught in the headlights, Harry started chortling all over again. Finally, he was able to compose himself enough to proceed. “What’s the big no-no about children playing with Floo Powder? The Toad made such a fuss and I could feel you shaking with pent up laughter.”

“First hand experience, no doubt,” Remus supplied as he closed the door to the cold cabinet. “I had enough sense to heed my own mother’s warnings.”

“Is it flammable?” Ginny urged, her insouciant expression underscoring the potential for mischief which ran through her family.

“Umm, didn’t test that theory,” Tonks replied. “We never kept Muggle matches around the house.”

“Not that anyone wonders why,” Remus injected with a wry grin.

Tonks swatted at him playfully. “As for the Powder itself, it creates a buoyant layer of magic. Probably has to do with allowing you to bounce unimpeded down the Floo Network.”

Ginny issued a wistful smile at the possibilities. “So you can bounce like a regular beach ball?”

“Use enough and you can actually ricochet off the ceiling,” Tonks confided lowly. “Can’t be counteracted with other spells, either.”

“Just think of the possibilities,” Harry raved with a hint of nostalgia.

“But the powder clings everywhere,” Tonks admitted. “So it’s not a secret vice you can hide from your mum.”

“Let’s make sure my children never discover this,” Remus cautioned, noting that the resident house-elf had retired for the night. Lowering his voice, he added, “Footprints on the ceiling indeed. Dobby, for one, will be grumbling about the mess for days.”

“Does it resist elfish magic, too?” Ginny considered.

“Can’t rightly say,” Tonks admitted. “We didn’t have a house-elf when I was growing up. Poor bloke would’ve probably given notice.”

Recalling Hermione’s research for S.P.E.W., Harry ventured, “That’s only if it was a free elf -- and those are few and far between. An elf who was tied to the house, or family, would have been bound to serve.”

“Likely circumstances would’ve forced him to become a renegade,” Remus chuckled.

“Ooooh!” Tonks cried. “We could start a whole new genre of spaghetti Westerns with elves on ponies. Do you think I could sell that to the BBC?”

“Considering Muggles don’t recognize the existence of elves, I doubt it,” Remus returned. “But I might suggest it to Bridget for a story idea.”

“By the way, darling, when is she scheduled to come for her inspection tour?” Tonks inquired.

“You make it sound as if she’s checking us out,” Remus protested.

“Isn’t she?” Tonks returned.

“She just wants to see if the children like her. I doubt she relishes an uphill battle.” Remus took a moment to consider then supplied, “Saturday next, at one. I invited her to lunch with us.”

“You do realize that’s the same day as Luna’s bridal shower,” Ginny interjected.

“Is it?” Remus replied uncertainly.

“Don’t worry,” Tonks reassured him. “That’s not until the evening. Gives us plenty of time.”

“Are you certain you don’t want me and Ron to watch the children?” Harry proffered.

“Not this time,” Tonks insisted. “Figgy promised they could play with her cats and you know what a treat that is.”

Remus made the best of the opportunity as he ventured, “Besides, Harry, you and I have another engagement. Did you forget that it was Sirius’ birthday?”

Momentarily confused, Harry uttered, “Don’t you and Tonks usually celebrate that?”

“Not this year,” Remus affirmed. “It’s time we started a new tradition…” He took an extra moment to make sure Teddy hadn’t snuck back from bed. “…just us men. Unless you don’t want to keep me company?”

Harry warmed to the infamous Marauder’s smile. “Considering the alternative is the ultimate girly event, I’d be happy to.” As they Levitated their used plates towards the sink, he commented, “You may have cause to rethink your comments about the Centaur Office, Tonks.”

She turned in the doorway leading towards the other wing with a playful pout. “It was one of my favorite euphemisms.”

“Even so,” Harry attested. “But now that Hermione has rightly assumed her post as Amos’ deputy head, she’s convinced that overtures to all creatures are in order. She’s in the process of contacting Firenze to be the official liaison.”

“A centaur holding a Ministry position will establish Kingsley as a ground-breaker for certain,” Remus commented.

“Be sure to remind Hermione to mention the Umbridge investigation,” Ginny whispered in Harry’s ear. “That alone should help pave the way with the centaurs.”








The day dawned as if the sun was unsure of itself. The silvery sheen of early morning hung upon the horizon until midday when it was replaced by a solid grey wall that signaled rain. Submitting to the inevitable, Tonks assisted Dobby with setting up the luncheon under the narrow eaves along the arbored patio. It would mean using two long tables instead of a large round one, but the necessary transfiguration was not a complicated one.

They managed to make it through the main portion of the meal before the cool breeze whipped up and started splattering them with fat, summer raindrops. As the guests ran for cover inside the house, Dobby snapped his long fingers with a mighty scowl. For a split second, the used dishes and silver leapt to attention before being gathered up within the tablecloths. A commanding swoop of his bony arm directed the bundles towards the kitchen for sorting and cleaning.

Pudding was served in the first story playroom as the Dowager displayed considerable skill at billiards against Harry, Bill and Teddy. On the oval rug before the bay window, Phoebe removed all the furnishings from her dacha so she could play at ‘Renovation’ with Victoire and Yvette.

“Now remember, cheries, ze wall colors are only temporary,” Fleur trilled as she made a quick wand movement. Seating herself next to Tonks, she confided, “Zat’s ‘ow my maman did eet when I was a child. We didn’t ‘ave magical paint een ze olden days.”

Tonks gave her a sage nod. “My mum still uses that spell at the dressmaker’s. Avoids imperfect dying charms later.”

It wasn’t long before Victoire became impatient with the rain and insisted that she was ready to return home to her sunny beach.

“But, cherie, zere ees no guarantee eet will not be raining zere as well,” Fleur issued in diplomatic warning. “Zummer ees ze zame een all of Britain.”

“Moi, aussi,” Yvette urged as she tugged on her mother’s hand.

Capitulating to the inevitable, Bill and Fleur said their farewells and assured Bridget that they’d be pleased if she agreed to tutor Victoire as well.

Once they had seen their guests off, Remus and Tonks returned upstairs to find Phoebe kneeling on the window seat and staring forlornly at the soggy grounds. With her stubby finger, she traced the tracks of the raindrops as they sluiced faster and faster to join into wider rivers before disappearing beyond the bottom edge.

“What’s got you so intrigued?” the Dowager posed as she settled her hip on the wide cushion.

“They run to join their friends,” Phoebe pronounced.

“Really? I always saw it as a road map of sorts. But then I always liked to read on rainy days. That way I could travel to the farthest destinations without getting wet.”

Noticing the book the Dowager had tucked under her arm, Teddy inquired, “What did you bring? That’s not one of ours.” Behind him, the abandoned billiard balls slowly rolled to a stop.

“I hardly think so, Spook,” Remus concurred as he helped himself to another slice of coconut icebox pie. “Miss Bridget brought that from home. She’s going to be joining us on our visit to Germany this summer.”

“Pictures?” Phoebe demanded as she held out her hands eagerly.

“Rather nice ones as I recall,” Bridget allowed as she opened the book to a random page. “A favorite of mine from my youth.” Over her shoulder, Teddy scowled at the unfamiliar words. “It’s in German,” she explained. “Your father suggested I practice a bit before our trip.”

“Tell us the story from the pictures,” Teddy suggested.

“I often do that; rather like a summary of sorts,” Remus volunteered. It worked particularly well with the vivid illustrations in military books where the printed words were too stuffy for children.

“You might actually be familiar with this tale,” Bridget began. She held up the cover which was lettered: Peter Pan Auf Deutsch.

Remus couldn’t help chuckling at the coincidence. “Peter Pan is one of their favorites.”

“Let’s go to the tree house,” Phoebe urged, catching the hem of Bridget’s sleeve.

“Not today, sweetheart. It’s much too wet and miserable,” Tonks explained.

“The tree house has a roof,” Teddy countered pragmatically.

“But it’s not likely watertight,” Remus noted. For the Dowager’s benefit, he added, “The tree house is the official headquarters of the Lost Boys.”

“I see. Well, I hate to disappoint you, but I’m a bit old for tree climbing.”

“Mum does it.”

“Ginny, too,” Phoebe supplied in support of her brother.

Remus flashed an apologetic smile. “Both of whom are considerably younger, I might add. But there’s no reason you can’t use props inside the house.”

With a sharp crack, Dobby appeared holding out various items of clothing. Teddy donned a bright green cap while Phoebe beseeched the house-elf to adjust Tiger Lily’s headband to a smaller size. At the last moment, she snatched Tinker Bell’s wand as well.

“Are you going to play both parts, Rabbit?” the Dowager posed with an encouraging smile.

“Ginny’s busy,” Teddy provided.

“Ginny usually plays Tiger Lily,” Remus provided. “I swear she and Teddy have developed their own hand signals and everything.”

“Victoire and Yvette often round out the cast as the Darling children,” Tonks elaborated. “Wendy and her little sister, Michelina. We took a bit of liberty with the names, but she stalwartly clutches her stuffed bear just as in the illustrations.”

Noticing that no one had claimed the black plumed hat, the Dowager pressed, “Who plays Captain Hook?”

Tonks sighed. “Alas, no one. Harry was hopeless and Remus laughed too much at everyone’s antics to be remotely believable.”

Remus stopped himself from contributing that in the traditional staging of Peter Pan, the roles of Captain Hook and the children’s father were always portrayed by the same actor; thus underscoring that all adults are pirates bent upon stealing a child’s most precious possession: his childhood. There would be plenty of time for his own children to learn life’s difficult lessons.

“Don’t look at me,” the Dowager cautioned. “The only character I ever met was Hook’s mother.”

“You knew the Captain’s mum?” Teddy posed with wide-eyed wonder.

“You didn’t think the man hatched from an egg, did you?” Bridget gamely retorted.

Phoebe giggled as she shook her head emphatically.

“That story’s not in the books,” Teddy announced matter-of-factly.

“I don’t suppose it is,” Bridget allowed. “But that doesn’t make it any less true.”

“Then why was it left out?” Teddy insisted.

Bridget stopped to think a moment before replying, “Perhaps because Captain Hook paid the author to pen the story and he didn’t want the whole world to know the real truth. It was bad enough that the writer reworked the tale to revolve around Peter Pan instead --”

“Not in the play,” Teddy argued. “Captain Hook gets all the best songs, or so Mum says.”

“So you’ve been to see the stage production as well?” Bridget considered as she adjusted her strategy.

“West End,” Phoebe added.

“A friend knew one of the dancing pirates so he got us tickets to a matinee,” Tonks provided.

“Then you’re very observant to notice the change of focus,” the Dowager commented to the children’s delight. “That’s because Captain Hook himself wrote the musical. Wanted to make sure the tale was done right this time. He was a bit of an egotist, his own mum used to say. The least accomplished of her children, but the most self-assured.”

Instantly alert, Phoebe questioned, “He had brothers and sisters?”

“Two older brothers,” the Dowager attested. “Taller and stronger and much better suited to the family trade of piracy. James, for that was Hook’s Christian name, was a bit of a sissy. A nancy boy, his rough-and-tumble brothers would say. What with his fancy buttons and epaulets. Not to mention the lacy shirts. Dressed as if he was going to the Regent’s Ball every day.

“But even though little James was a bit of a disappointment, his mum still loved him and encouraged him to follow his own dream. And there was no doubt he loved sailing in his little dinghy even at a young age. Why when his brothers would tease him by sending a nasty wave his way, James would maneuver the rudder and trim the sail just right to keep from capsizing. Likely, it was due to not wanting to damage his velvet waistcoat with seawater, his mother always maintained, but there was no denying he was a born sailor.

“As James’ brothers grew up and assumed fearsome pirate names like Wrinkly-Shirt and Grimy-Neck…” Artfully, she allowed the children’s laughter to bring her up short. “What’s so funny?”

“Those aren’t pirate names,” Phoebe giggled.

“You need something fearsome,” Teddy maintained as he puffed out his chest. “Something to make people quake in fear.”

“Oh, piffle, I see what you mean,” Bridget conceded. “Can’t say I recall the names their mother confided.”

“How about Blackbeard?” Teddy supplied.

“Now that one rings a bell,” Bridget nodded. “But I’m certain that was someone else.”

Teddy tried again. “Scarface?”

The Dowager considered for a moment then shook her head. “I don’t think so. Besides, that’s a name that has to be earned and I don’t recall her saying that any of her boys had been disfigured.”

“What about Captain Hook’s hand?” Phoebe posed with alacrity.

“That came much later in the story,” Bridget stipulated.

“Didn’t he earn that name?” Teddy reasoned.

Bridget smiled warmly. “Yes, he did! Considering the family name wasn’t Hook to begin with.”

With mounting excitement, the children clamored for more.

“Well, you have to understand that pirates are outlaws. Criminals in every sense of the word. They steal from others and then horde the treasure. No sharing with the poor like Robin Hood. Oh, no, there’s nothing heroic about pirating. So all the years that her children were growing up, their mum had to keep packing the family up and moving every few years. It was the only way she could keep ahead of the law.”

“Where did she go?” Phoebe squeaked in anticipation.

“From one country to another,” Bridget expounded. “It didn’t matter that most of their seaside shacks were rather run down, to say the least. Their mum was handy enough herself. After all, the only thing that mattered was that they were close to the seashore so the boys could go sailing.”

“Was their family name a secret?” Teddy concluded.

“Not exactly, but every time they moved, their mum would add a new syllable to the end of it to try to confuse any trackers. Sometimes she’d also adjust the spelling to change their ancestry. By the time I met her, the name was extraordinarily long. Too long for me to recall with any accuracy, I’m afraid.”

“How many letters?” Phoebe demanded.

“Forty-three and a half,” the Dowager returned with aplomb.

Remus couldn’t help but chuckle when Teddy instantly protested, “No such thing as a half letter.”

“I beg to differ,” the Dowager volleyed back. “What about an umlaut?”

“That’s a made-up word!” Teddy decried.

“Afraid not, Spook,” Remus intervened. “An umlaut is those two little dots you sometimes see over German vowels.”

Bridget indicated an example in the Peter Pan text.

Teddy opened his mouth for a follow-up question, but Remus cut across expertly, “Don’t ask me why it’s singular instead of plural; it just is.”

“I was going to ask that myself,” Tonks breathed in Remus’ ear as she curled up on the loveseat next to him.

“So was the name like Rumplestiltskin?” Phoebe asked.

“Even longer. I couldn’t begin to remember it in its entirety, let alone pronounce it,” the Dowager acknowledged. “But you’re very perceptive, Phoebe. Like Rumplestiltskin, pirate names are best kept secret.”

“If no one could say the name, no one could find them.” Teddy wagged his head happily as it all made sense.

Bridget concurred with an encouraging smile. “Rather hard to ask after someone if all you can do is mumble their name. So that hampered the authorities as well. The only thing I can tell you for certain is that the family name began with the letter H. That’s why James initially decided to call himself Captain Hoodwink.”

The children sniggered at the silly notion.

“Not very fearsome, is it?” Bridget established. “But then Captain Hoodwink “ or Hook, as we’ve come to know him “ really wasn’t much of a pirate. Sure he walked the walk and his tall ship flew the Jolly Roger flag, but he didn’t get a very lucrative pirating territory when you stop to think about it.

“His eldest brother settled with the roughs who threatened the Barbary Coast. Do you know where that is?”

As the children shook their heads, Dobby snapped his long fingers. “Will you show Dobby, too?” the elf entreated with a deep bow as he positioned the globe from Remus’ study before them.

“My pleasure,” Bridget replied as she traced the North African coastline near the Straits of Gibraltar. “See right here where the ocean gets really narrow. Perfect place for an ambush. Now his other brother eased himself in with the gang that owned the Hispaniola route.” She spun the globe to indicate a large island in the Caribbean Sea. “Lots of little rocky islands with inlets where they could hide their boat, not to mention a tropical climate that made for year-round plundering.”

“Where’s Neverland?” Phoebe asked as she peered quizzically at the globe.

“Not there, is it?” the Dowager prompted. “That’s just how far off the beaten track Captain Hook had to go to find a group of pirates who would take him. Right off the frigging globe itself!

“But like I said before, he was more of a dandy than a pirate. So while his brothers came up against frigates that could blast their ships with mighty cannons, our Captain Hook only battled a band of boys.

“Not that the Lost Boys weren’t a clever bunch, making ingenious use of sling-shots and the occasional cutlass one of the absent-minded pirates left behind. And Tiger Lily had her band of Indians who could slink like shadows and rain down a cloud of arrows. But can you really compare that with cannonballs and musket fire on the open water?”

“Mistress must keep an eye on the time,” Dobby whispered at Tonks’ elbow.

“If you’ll excuse me, Bridget,” Tonks implored as she rose to her feet. “Ginny and I have a wedding shower to attend.”

“Forgive me,” the Dowager smoothed her skirt as she rose to her feet. “I didn’t realize how the time slipped away.”

“But we want to hear about the crocodile!” Phoebe protested.

“This morning you couldn’t wait to play with Aunt Figgy’s cats,” Remus chortled.

“We can do that anytime,” Teddy whined.

“I’m afraid Harry and I have plans as well,” Remus apologized to their guest.

“By all means,” Bridget consented. “But I don’t mind watching over the children, if that’s all right with you. Everyone hates to stop in the middle of a story, me included. Dobby will help me put them to bed, won’t you?”

“Oh, yes.” Dobby looked up at Bridget with adoring eyes. “Dobby wants to hear how the story ends, too.”

“Can we please?”

“Please, Daddy?”

“Are you sure, Bridget?” Remus posed. “You’re welcome to stay to supper with the children, but the rest of us might be quite late.”

“Dobby can see me out once the children are tucked in,” Bridget proposed. “You and I can work out the details in the next day or so. Is that acceptable, Remus?”

“Absolutely,” he replied with a wide grin. Following Tonks down the stairs, he left them blissfully enjoying the Dowager’s spirited revamping of the familiar tale.








“Does this mean we pass muster?” Tonks inquired as she chose a sparkly top for the party.

“I would say so,” Remus replied as he changed into more casual attire.

“How did she take the Animorphmagus thing?”

“Like a professional, although she did promise to bone up on her Beatrix Potter. You do recall me telling you she worked in the maternity ward when she was younger.”

Tonks frowned slightly as a possible wrinkle came to mind. “I don’t want my daughter treated as a scientific curiosity, either.”

“She won’t be, cherub. I was very clear about that. Told Bridget how only immediate family and those present that night even know. She agreed to keep it confidential.”

“Not even Sera or Serenity?”

“Not even them,” Remus confirmed. “Bridget concurred that it should be Phoebe herself who determines whom she’ll trust to witness her magical abilities firsthand. Besides, I think Bridget was more concerned about her own secret.”

“Oh, I’d totally forgotten about that! What did you tell her?”

“That it was best for now to say nothing. If the children ask at a later date, then I will tell them the same thing that I told them about me.”

“You did warn her that we don’t use the word ‘werewolf’?”

“You’re worrying needlessly,” Remus soothed as he eased his wife onto his lap. “Bridget will be the soul of discretion, just you wait and see.”

“I would’ve enjoyed hearing the rest of her take on Captain Hook,” Tonks admitted. “And Dobby was so clever to enlarge one of his own aprons for her to tie over her summer frock.” When they’d left, Bridget was just tucking a wooden knife next to the toy pistol on her waistband. “It was all I could do to keep from laughing every time Teddy interrupted her.”

Remus sighed. “I just hope he doesn’t try her patience.”

“Rubbish!” Tonks declared. “They were playing off one another, Phoebe included.”

“So you’re saying Bridget employs tried and true improvisational techniques?”

“Absolutely,” Tonks exclaimed. “Freddy once took me to see this one experimental troupe on the very fringes of the theatre district….”
Thirty-Seven: The Future and the Past by L A Moody
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Thirty-Seven
The Future and the Past




He fumbled with the key ring Mrs. Figg had loaned him for the evening. It felt strange, almost otherworldly, to be entering number twelve, Grimmauld Place through the back gate. Under the multihued summer sunset, the recently refurbished solarium seemed nothing more than an insubstantial box encasing a foreign dreamscape.

Harry nearly stubbed his toe on a heavy wrought iron chair that didn’t materialize out of the shadows until he was nearly upon it. Only Remus catching his arm at the last moment kept him from a painful souvenir.

“Lumos Maximus!” Remus’ voice was the hiss of steam leaving the vents which warmed the glass structure during the colder months. The golden light allowed Harry to locate the ornate key to open the door into the dark hallway.

Once inside, long habits took over as a snap of Remus’ fingers ignited the flickering brackets along the wall. Despite the jacquard striped wallpaper that graced the once peeling walls, Harry found the same threadbare carpet under his feet as they descended the steep stairs into the kitchen. Ignoring the weight of the empty floors above, familiar territory beckoned as Remus boldly threw back the velvet rope and slung his rucksack onto the cracked ceramic countertop.

Withdrawing a dented skillet from the very back of the overhead cupboard, he set about fixing them a spot of supper “ bachelor style.

“Didn’t know you cooked,” Harry noted wryly as he rummaged in the china cupboard. The three mismatched glass tumblers would be ideal.

“I don’t. Not really. Toasted cheese sandwiches are the extent of my repertoire; perhaps a fried egg in the morning if you don’t mind the edges slightly singed. Sirius made an exceptional cowboy-style steak, grilled right in the hearth; but our funds rarely allowed for that. Mostly, we excelled at reheating spells for Molly’s famous casseroles. But when all else failed, we relied on my skill with bread and cheese. Speaking of that, do you want horseradish in yours?”

Harry pulled a face. “Now I’m certain you don’t know how to cook! Who would ever think of such a disgusting combination?”

“Sirius said it helped to clear the cobwebs from his mind. I secretly suspected it was some rudimentary hangover cure. Personally, I preferred a well-brewed potion from the chemists at Slug & Jiggers.” As an afterthought, he added, “That is, when prudence didn’t win out.”

The delightful aroma of butter and toasting bread permeated the narrow kitchen, making it feel like home again. A swift jab of Harry’s wand unlatched the tiny window above the sink. It was nothing more than a slit designed for ventilation, but it created a pleasing flow of air when the transoms at the far end of the long room were open to the street as they were now.

Turning his head sideways, he had an unimpeded view of the back fence and the upper stories of Mrs. Figg’s townhouse ablaze with lights. The silhouettes of partygoers flitted to and fro like dark moths amid a rosy background glow. No sound from the outside world penetrated the Fidelius bubble which encased the townhouse-turned-museum, yet Harry had no trouble imaging the laughter and sprightly conversation pouring forth.

The clatter of crockery on the wooden table announced that supper was ready. Tea was poured into cups which had long since parted company with their saucers.

“Sorry we don’t have anything for pudding. That was always Kreacher’s department “ at least until Sirius banned him from the kitchen.”

“What did he do?”

Remus chuckled at the memory. “Added salt instead of sugar to the quince and mincemeat pie.”

“Bugger!”

“Sirius’ exact words,” Remus laughed heartily. “Followed by some rather graphic instructions for Kreacher’s hide that would’ve made a butcher blush.”

“Did Kreacher do it on purpose?”

“Who knows? The poor thing was half-mad after being locked up in this house for years while Sirius languished in Azkaban.”

“None of the Blacks thought to make provisions for the house-elf in their wills?”

“I doubt it even occurred to them. Kreacher was part of the townhouse. An ambulatory bit of furniture, if you will.”

“I’m surprised they didn’t lock him away in the Gringott’s vault with the rest of the heirlooms!” Harry commented with a tight scowl.

“Even though Sirius would never speak of it, I suspect his imprisonment hit his family rather hard. Coming as it did on the heels of Regulus’ demise.”

“No wonder Kreacher was so devoted to his Mistress, even in death.”

“In many ways, he likely felt that he was all she had left in the world.” Turning his attention to more cheerful matters, Remus inquired, “On the subject of pudding, any idea what Dobby made for Luna’s shower? He made such a big deal of only relinquishing the cake box to Ginny when she assured him they would be Apparating and not traveling by Floo.”

“Chocolate ganache torte with a layer of crushed pistachios. In a heart-shaped mold. He was entreating her to cut it into tiny slivers as it was utterly decadent.”

Remus’ light-hearted laugh echoed the length of the kitchen. “They really are going all out with the lingerie party theme.”

“Sorry they didn’t invite us?”

“Only because I’ll miss the scandalized look on Fleur’s face when they pour the pink champagne! Although, Ginny promised she’d describe it to me in detail.”

“I’ll ask her to decant it into the Pensieve,” Harry suggested with a snigger.

“Did they obtain the desired gift?”

Harry nodded with a knowing wink. “Arrived by owl post this very morning. A simple gown and jacket made from the finest sylph silk. Andromeda searched it out in Paris then insisted on going in on the price since it was so dear.”

“What about the gift card?” Remus asked anxiously.

“Your name and mine were omitted.”

“Thank Merlin for that! I can’t imagine presenting a former student with a negligee “ under any circumstances.”

“It would have made me uncomfortable as well “ and she’s a close friend.”

“Just be glad I dissuaded Tonks from purchasing silk boxers for Neville. All in the name of sexual equality, of course.”

“Who did she think was going to present him with such a gift?” Harry stammered.

“Dobby, I suppose, as she actually managed to embarrass herself when she stopped to think it through! Hard to believe, isn’t it?” he added as Harry dissolved into helpless laughter.

“I hope you don’t mind if I change the subject,” Harry implored once he was able to get his breath. “Were you able to work out all the details with Bridget?”

“Pretty much. Her German skills will be put to good use on the Rhine this summer. Hope we have enough bedrooms.”

“Ginny and I can always borrow a wizard’s tent from Ted. He’s always offering.” With a playful grin, he amended, “You will let me know if negotiations fall through, though. I’m fairly certain I could get Bridget a post as head of the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee!”

Remus issued a deep chuckle. “She’s really something else, isn’t she?”

“I’ll say. Ginny insisted we keep the door cracked into our room while she wrapped the gift. We were holding each other up when Bridget started in on the part about the Crocodile being a sworn vegetarian.”

With merriment dancing in his eyes, Remus implored, “That was after Tonks and I left to shower. Care to fill me in a bit?”

“I can’t begin to do it justice,” Harry demurred. “Why not ask Bridget yourself?”

“Because she never tells the story the same way twice. Just apologizes for getting it wrong the last time and moves on.”

“Now that takes gall! Sure saves having to remember all the specifics.”

Remus gave an insouciant shrug. “Don’t worry, Teddy will remind her in exquisite detail. Now you were saying something about a vegan crocodile…”

“Right. Had all sorts of trouble with the regular diet along the banks of the Nile. Too much fat and cholesterol, etc.”

“Limited availability of fruits and vegetables as well,” Remus supplied.

Harry barely stopped himself from drawing the parallel between father and son before continuing, “So the Crocodile Healers made special arrangements for Tick-Tock to retire to a less stressful environment, someplace where he wouldn’t have to brave the jaws of death at suppertime each night. Someplace where he could take his time finding just the right foods for his delicate stomach. Neverland had the ideal year-round temperatures, you get the picture. The Crocodile Travel Agency filled his head with all sorts of vague promises of paradise.

“So poor Tick-Tock buys into this Shangri-la, plunks down all his life’s savings “ which I assure you wasn’t much more than a pile of brightly colored pottery shards. The charming grotto accommodations he was promised turn out to be a drafty sea cave, the beach overrun by a gang of pre-adolescent trouble-makers. But there are plenty of healthy roots to dig up around the lagoon and the trees practically groan with ripe fruit. So what if the Indians take constant potshots at his hide? The arrows just bounce off.”

“So the Crocodile decided he could live with the imperfections,” Remus surmised.

“He adapts to his circumstances. But like anyone who’s been asked to abandon something that he dearly loves, he soon finds himself dreaming of meat. Succulent roasts on a spit, some of those pesky island boars that dart away as he’s searching for tasty herbs. But they’re much too quick for him and their tusks are deadly even to skin as thick as his. The Indians are much too clever; and the closest he ever gets to one of the Lost Boys is when they leave one of their stuffed toys behind.”

“Not very tasty over an open fire,” Remus commiserated.

“Actually explode when they get too hot,” Harry corrected. “Stuffing flies everywhere “ and I assure you it’s not the walnut and sage variety, either.”

Remus silently considered that Bridget was artfully working up the children’s appetite for supper, but didn’t interrupt.

“Then one day, the pirate ship sails into the small harbor. At first, Tick-Tock is thrilled with the vegetable scraps which Cookie throws overboard each night. But the aroma of the spicy stews that waft through the porthole stirs up all sorts of dormant desires within the Crocodile’s stomach. He begins to notice that the pirates themselves are a rather well-fed lot. Some, such as the portly boatswain, are tending to fat and surely wouldn’t miss a roll or two from around their mid-section.”

“The pirates will likely skin him and serve the chunks deep-fried with papaya and tamarind sauce,” Remus supplied.

For a man who didn’t know how to cook, Remus certainly knew his food, Harry noted inwardly. Aloud, he tendered, “Bridget didn’t have an actual recipe, but she said essentially the same thing. Then one lucky day, the stars align for poor Tick-Tock and he gets his most fervent, secret, forbidden wish. As he’s sunning himself on a sandbar, his nap is disturbed by shouts and the loud ring of metal against metal. There’s a duel taking place right on the deck of the pirate ship. To and fro they dart, parry and thrust; Bridget drags out the veritable dance of death --”

“Rabbit and Spook are hanging onto every word, mouths slightly ajar as their breathing comes in shallow puffs,” Remus added with a remarkably similar level of excitement.

“And in that fateful moment,” Harry took up the narrative, “Hook gets his lacy cuff caught on the rigging. With one mighty slash, Peter Pan slices off his left hand and it flies over the railing and plops into the water right next to the Crocodile.

“‘Not just take-away, but delivery,’ Tick-Tock growls as with one massive snap of his jaws, he swallows the Captain’s hand.”

“I’m surprised you and Ginny were able to change clothes,” Remus chuckled.

“We took turns guarding the door so no one would barge in,” Harry confided. “But you haven’t heard the conclusion yet. Just caught it before I scrambled downstairs.”

“No wonder you were the last one out the door.”

“Ever since then, poor Tick-Tock can’t get the taste of the Captain’s succulent flesh out of his mind “ even though it gave him the most virulent bout of indigestion ever. All those luscious fruits taste flat, the roots are fibrous and tough, and the lush grasses that grow among the dunes are nothing but stringy pulp in his mouth. He lives in paradise no more as all he can think about is how to catch the Captain in another moment of distraction.”

“Did Bridget happen to mention how the clock ended up in the Crocodile’s stomach in the first place?” Remus urged.

Harry gave him a grin that would have felt equally at home on the Cheshire Cat. “She may’ve mumbled something in passing about the wrong-footed voyage of Admiral Octavio Nelson, younger brother of the decorated naval hero. And it’s not a clock “ that was a clever diversion for the Muggle market. It’s a time-turner.” He shook his head at the sheer audacity.

Remus rubbed his hands with childlike glee. “Something to look forward to for her next visit.”

Noting that the teapot was empty, Remus poured a measure of Firewhiskey into each of the tumblers and placed one before each of them. The third glass was positioned at the head of the table where Sirius had once welcomed his Christmas houseguests with undisguised delight.

“Seems we got a bit off-track,” Harry apologized.

“Not at all,” Remus returned as he took a grateful swallow. “Congregating around the table is what Sirius and I did most nights. The whiskey bottle completes the tableau.” Over a gentle smile, he elaborated, “Sirius would’ve been proud of what we accomplished here. As well as at Marauder Manse, as he would surely have insisted on calling it. Somehow his lips would’ve given those words the proper devilish air that just sounds pretentious when anyone else tries.”

The summer breeze ruffling his hair reminded Harry that Sirius had passed through the Veil barely ten days shy of his 36th birthday. It was so easy to envision his godfather relocating to Godric’s Hollow and settling into his old bedchamber adjoining the billiard room where he’d once entertained guests. Bending over to scoop up his best mate’s children as their chatter brought a look of wondrous joy to his worn features… Nothing but gossamer images reflected in a soap bubble as Harry felt a scratchy lump rising in his throat.

With a tentative sip, Harry did his best to lighten the mood. “Somehow I can’t imagine anyone who set foot inside this townhouse concluding that either one of you had a flair for decorating.” Another gulp and the burning sensation helped to dispel the tightness.

“Or that we didn’t get the property at a rock bottom price with the intent of renovating it!” Remus reminisced. “Sirius used to complain that this heap had all the hallmarks of a money pit as Muggles would say.

“To which I would reply, ‘What worries me is that you’ve given it this much thought, Padfoot.’”

“What did he say to that?” Harry prompted.

“He’d cock his eyebrow as if to suggest, ‘Only just now?’ while aloud he would grumble, ‘Consider it a by-product of house arrest.’”

Harry chuckled at how aptly that captured the indomitable spirit of his late godfather. “Do you think he ever found happiness here?”

“Peace of mind, certainly,” Remus confided as he leaned across the table. “His final words to me seem to imply that.”

“Final words?”

“Sirius left a codicil to his will that was likely written shortly before his death.”

Try as he might, Harry couldn’t hide the shock on his face. “And you’re just now sharing this with me?”

“It was rather personal,” Remus admitted. “It will make more sense once you’ve read the words for yourself. It’s the major part of the homage that Tonks and I have been observing on his birthday ever since.”

With solemn reverence, Remus removed a small square from his breast pocket and enlarged it until a thick volume rested before them. The Collected Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, Harry turned his head to read.

“Seemed so out of character when I first found him with this book,” Remus recalled with a faraway look. “But he insisted Poe’s sense of the macabre would’ve fed off the vibrations in this place. Made him feel an instant kinship with the man who had penned ‘the only worthwhile reading in the entire Black library.’ It was the only souvenir I kept when Molly cleaned out his rooms.”

Remus caressed the faded gold letters before gently opening the cover. Inside was a sheaf of aged parchment, the edges worn thin from many fingers. Despite his burning curiosity, Harry hesitated to touch the artifact that was being handed to him.

“It’s all right,” Remus urged solemnly. “I long ago protected the pages with powerful magic. They would’ve surely crumbled to dust otherwise.”

With uncertain fingers, Harry smoothed out the pages before him. Although the ink was slightly faded, he recognized Sirius’ handwriting immediately.

Dear Moony,

Do you have any idea how difficult, nay impossible, it is to find just the right thing to leave someone who has been at the center of my world for the past few years? How to convey just how magnanimous the simple gift of his presence and friendship has meant to a washed-up jailbird like myself?

You have never been a material man, instinctively knowing that the things that are most valuable are those that cannot be measured, weighed. or catalogued. It is a tenet by which you have lived your life and one that became only too clear to me during my years in Azkaban.

Yet you are also a man who had been unfairly treated for much of his life. Try as we might, not even your friends could always find a way around the prejudices that society seemed determined to heap upon your doorstep. Trust me, Lily and I (and to some degree James, as well) had a very long discussion concerning these very issues at the time of Harry’s birth.

You see, parents feel a need to entrust the care of their children to those with whom they feel they have the most in common. Should tragedy strike, the care of the child will be undertaken by those who will subconsciously remind the child of the parents that have been lost. Such is the legacy that Lily and James sought to establish by appointing a godfather to act as guardian for young Harry.

And that’s where the problems arose. James thought that I was most like him, no question about it. But Lily felt that your values were the most like hers. She had gotten the measure of your heart during those long hours of shared Prefect duties. Yet it was clear that James had found a maturity through his devotion to Lily, and then to Harry, that was sadly missing from my own life at the time. Who was to say when I would be ready to settle down? But you were ready-made for the task; anyone who saw you interacting with Harry during the idyllic days we spent in Godric’s Hollow could see that.

But even though none of us ever saw you as anything other than a human being, there was no denying that you would be unable to perform any child-care duties during the full moon. Only one day out of each month, yet how could we entrust an infant to someone who could not be available 100% of the time? So I was selected as the somehow inferior substitute, with the understanding that the issue would be revisited once Harry was old enough to not require round-the-clock attention. Co-guardianship was offered as a reasonable alternative.

But those plans went the way of the wind on that bitter October night when Voldemort’s shadow eclipsed all of our lives. Thank Merlin that in her last moments of life, Lily had the foresight to establish a back-up plan with her sister. Where would Harry have been otherwise during those long years that I spent in my dark cell? And all the while, my mind kept screaming, “It should have been Remus.” Fate’s fickleness had decried that only you would be in a position to take care of Harry during all those years.

It was probably a pipe dream to think that Petunia would’ve allowed you unlimited access, but you would’ve had the law on your side for once. Certainly you could have kept in touch with Harry by owl post or even Muggle mail, if that’s what it took. Your parents hadn’t turned their backs on the world of Muggles that existed beyond their doors, not like mine had. You would have known how to assimilate yourself sufficiently to appear at least marginally acceptable in Petunia’s eyes.

How different would Harry’s life have been if he’d known that he was not a freak or a pariah! That there were those who loved him even though his aunt was determined to lock him away in a bloody cupboard.

As you read this, know that once again you are our last hope. But also that you should have been the first choice were it not for life’s inequities. I know that you would have taken it upon yourself to look after Harry even without these words, but I wanted you to know that you have the blessings of James and Lily in addition to mine.

So in a perverse way, I suppose I’m bequeathing Harry to you, although I’m sure he’d be offended if he thought himself objectified in such a manner. Both you and he are so alike when your prickly natures come to the fore. Semantics aside, you know better than anyone what I’m trying so miserably to convey.

Be all the things for Harry that I can no longer be. If he’s outgrown the need for a father figure, then be his friend. Be there for him when he encounters the obstacles of life. Teach him to love and laugh in abundance as the two of us have so often done. Don’t let him go forth to meet his destiny unprepared.

I can only leave him the empty trappings of my disreputable family that have somehow filtered down to me, its unacknowledged black sheep. I’m entrusting you to give him the things that really matter.

Wherever I end up next, know that I will miss you as I have never missed anyone before.


Forever yours,

Padfoot


Harry raised his eyes to find the familiar kitchen a blur of shadowy browns. He slipped off his glasses for the umpteenth time and ran his shirtsleeve impatiently over his eyes. Readjusting the round frames on the bridge of his nose, he saw that Remus’ chair had been pushed back from the table.

At the end of the narrow room, Remus stood like a gaunt sentinel against the outside world that was just visible through the transom windows. As Harry drew near, the light from the street lamp on the corner revealed the silvery trail of tears on the man’s immutable face. Clearly Sirius’ final words were familiar enough to be recalled from memory.

Without turning towards him, Remus acknowledged his approach. “Sirius used to say this one patch of sky seemed the totality of his universe -- ” The rest was lost as the words caught in his throat.

Harry placed a tentative hand on Remus’ shoulder only to find himself engulfed in a crushing hug in the next instant. Despite the silent sob that rattled through Harry’s body, he was consoled by the family ties that had grown so effortlessly between the two of them.

“I hope I managed to be as good a friend to you in the intervening years,” he managed into the fabric of Remus’ shirt.

He felt the taller man nod his head in answer. “More than I could ever have imagined,” Remus croaked.

“Yet something tells me you and Sirius used to discuss women in a much more intimate manner than you and I ever did,” Harry noted with the beginnings of a smirk.

They loosened their hold on one another as Remus threw back his head and issued a wry laugh. “Hardly,” he snorted as he unabashedly wiped his face with a handkerchief. Ushering Harry back towards the table, he elaborated, “I was never one to discuss those sorts of details with another “ not that I had anything that would’ve rivaled Sirius’ exploits.”

“Was he really as legendary as all that?” Harry posed.

Remus shrugged. “Certainly in comparison to James and I “ and even Peter Pettigrew. You have to recall we were all friends once.”

“So it was Sirius who rounded out your education, so to speak?” Harry considered despite the shadings of embarrassment he could feel in his cheeks.

“Not really. He was more apt to recall his mother’s words that it was rude to boast in front of others,” Remus reminisced with a misty look in his eye. “‘Great galloping goblins,’ Peter used to say. ‘Even that’s tantamount to leading a beggar to a banquet and then dashing the food from his lips!’”

Harry joined in the laughter as he imagined the future Death Eater using such a childish expletive. “What about later, when you and Sirius were reunited? Right here in this very kitchen.”

A cloud fell over Remus’ face at that, but he shook it off and replied, “He didn’t have much to share at that point. Being confined within these walls as he was.”

“Still, I can’t imagine the two of you discussing Quidditch like Ron and I.”

“What’s to say we weren’t discussing Milton or Tolstoy or any of the other great literary works that were part of the family library?”

Harry gave Remus a searing look. “Sirius? If you’re going to embellish the truth, Remus, you owe it to me to make it at least plausible.”

“Those were bleak times, Harry. Sirius felt that his life was on hold until we could actually clear his name.”

“Other than getting Pettigrew to confess, how exactly were you planning to go about that?”

Remus sighed. “The same dead end seemed to confront Sirius daily. So he insisted that it was only fair that I regale him with my adventures…”

As he began to recount the tale, it was as if the years had fallen away before Remus’ eyes and the polished surfaces of the kitchen that greeted museum-goers were back to their dim and shabby contours. Events that had taken place a decade before returned sharply in his memory along with the bony angles of his much thinner frame as he leaned back to examine Sirius through his overgrown fringe.

“Come on, Moony,” Sirius urged with a mischievous glint. “You have to admit neither one of us ever imagined we’d be sharing such a sumptuous flat as we approached middle age.”

“Ha!” Remus snorted dismissively. “Even in the dankest hour of lycanthropic misery, I never thought I deserved a nagging fishwife such as you!”

“Better than waking up alone,” Sirius taunted.

“Just remember, Padfoot, there are some lines I’ll never cross.”

“Nor will I,” Sirius conceded gravely. “Loneliness or not, you’re no substitute for a woman, Moony.”

Remus flashed him a stern look to bear that in mind even as he allowed his irreverence to assume the forefront. “Not that we don’t present a different picture to the outside world, Muggles in particular.”

“Just be glad we don’t do our grocery shopping together,” Sirius chortled. “Or that old bat who lives down the street would have us over to design her curtains!”

“Although the pathetic state of our lives isn’t much to laugh about,” Remus supplied through his guffaws. “I was forced to resign my post at Hogwarts just as I was getting a taste for it.”

“Did Dumbledore tell you that?” Sirius intervened, the merriment dying away completely. “I got quite a different impression from Minerva.”

Remus shrugged. “What else could I do under the circumstances?”

“Not much. But I don’t think that’s the complete picture, either.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Dumbledore’s statement that it was a ruddy shame the effing Dark Arts post had been cursed by Voldemort himself.”

Remus’ heart felt a little lighter as he retorted, “Doesn’t sound much like Dumbledore’s phraseology.”

“What am I, a Pensieve? So I paraphrased a bit!” Taking a long swallow from the bottle which had left an indelible ring in the middle of the table, Sirius added, “At least you can go out and search for work.”

“And it’s a right waste of time, I assure you.”

“So have you made the acquaintance of any birds? You don’t have to tell them about your dashing flatmate right off…not unless she has a friend, of course.”

“No.”

“Then perhaps I need to give you some instructions on how to make the most of your leisure time.”

“Now you make it sound like I’m an idle playboy! We’re in the middle of a ruddy war or have you forgotten?”

“All the more reason why I want to squeeze in just as many happy moments while I still can.”

“You and I have a very different definition of happiness,” Remus shot back, hoping to bring this line of inquiry to a close.

“You don’t expect me to believe you led a monastic existence while I was in Azkaban,” Sirius remarked.

“You know as well as anyone that I’m a man first and a werewolf second.”

“It’s just that your secondary nature keeps interfering….” Sirius pressed.

“This is rote, Padfoot. Hardly a conversation.”

“Tell me about some of the women you dated after …” Sirius hesitated as he searched for just the right wording. “…after you could no longer return to the Potters’.”

“No.”

“Then don’t blame me if the conversation stagnates!” Sirius volleyed back as he poured them both generous amounts of Firewhiskey.

Giving in to the choice between a lonely night of reading or staggering up the stairs, Remus took a deep swallow of the liquid solace his best friend put before him. “There’s really not much to tell. A long series of names and descriptions at best.”

“Any of them Muggles?”

“Quite a few as a matter of fact.”

“How would you have dealt with….?” Sirius quirked his eyebrow in query as he warmed up to the subject.

“The inevitable?”

“I often wish I had your gift for euphemism, Moony.”

“Pray you don’t need it,” Remus commented dryly. “As to the previous, the subject never came up.”

“That’s a rather significant thing to gloss over.”

“I was hardly seeking a soul mate, Padfoot. Something to ease my loneliness that didn’t involve books, all right!”

“Somehow I would never have expected that from you.”

“Why? Because it sounds too much like the cavalier attitude of your own youth?”

“Precisely. You know Lily was right when she told me that I was hellbent on finding my own true love “ even if I had to date all the women in the British Isles in the process.”

“Then you just would’ve hounded me to make introductions for you in France!”

“Sounds like it might have been fun, don’t you think?” Sirius yearned. “Too bad the war “ and Wormtail “ interfered.”

“I would’ve been content to stay with Lily and James at Godric’s Hollow, if only I could’ve found a way to not feel like a freeloader,” Remus sighed wistfully.

“You and me both. All those long sunny days to spend playing with little Harry; not having to worry about the next assignment for the Order and who would be home to keep a protective eye on Lily.”

“Forget that our continued presence might’ve kept the Potter clan from ever expanding,” Remus suggested knowingly.

“James wouldn’t’ve thought of you as a freeloader, you know. Even if all you ever did was help with the childcare duties. You were like a brother to him.”

Remus nodded blindly as the enormity of their loss came crashing about their shoulders.

Catching on instinctively, Sirius offered softly, “So just because circumstances dictate that I maintain a celibate existence, doesn’t mean the same applies to you.”

“Padfoot, I…”

“So some of your idealism got tarnished along the way. It happens to everyone.”

“It’s not that,” Remus gulped past the sudden constriction in his throat. After another dose of courage, he added in a hollow voice, “The two of us remember the past quite differently. Those romantic notions were yours, not mine. I had long before come to the inescapable conclusion that I’d spend my days alone. Having friends for a few short years was more of a blessing than I ever expected.”

“Even when I was away, you still had friends,” Sirius reminded him. “The Weasleys took you in much as they did with Harry. Ginny looks up to you as her eldest brother “ for lack of a better word.”

“Nonsense, she has enough brothers to bake in a pie and still have some left over!”

“But none who actually think to pursue a conversation with her for hours at a time.”

“How do you know this, Padfoot?” Remus demanded gruffly. “A spy network I know nothing about?”

“Nothing as nefarious as that,” Sirius returned with a deep chuckle at having gotten such a rise out of his stoic friend. “Told me herself. Wanted to know if I had any insights into why you were always so melancholy.”

Years of living in semi-squalid conditions, dragging himself from one thankless job to another, being rejected by society for something he couldn’t control. All flashed through Remus’ mind as he dreaded what Sirius might have told a child as insightful as Ginny. “What did you tell her?” he breathed in apprehension.

“The truth.” As Remus made to object, Sirius clarified, “My version, not yours. I told her that you had lost too many of your friends and family at a young age and it made you think that sorrow was the only thing life had to offer. Much like what happened to Harry when his parents died and he was forced to live with the Dursleys.”

Remus sighed in relief. “At least you didn’t say anything about my deplorable luck with women.”

“I’m sure she’s heard that from her mother.”

“Molly?”

“Of course. Doesn’t Molly strike you as the type who would go into the I-can’t-believe-a-nice-young-man-like-Remus-isn’t-married speech? I’m only spared because she thinks me an irredeemable reprobate.”

Remus groaned as he buried his face in his hands. “Frankly, Padfoot, I’d rather women just assume you and I were lifelong companions.”

“I wouldn’t. So why would you?”

“Because Molly’s question has no answer; and I hate it when women poke about trying to uncover it on their own.”

“It has an answer, Moony. Just one you’re not willing to provide.”

“I’m entitled to my privacy. I hardly need the world to know. Women always find another way to reject me, anyway.”

“Evasiveness is hardly a trait women admire. Take it from someone who knows firsthand.”

“Honesty, my honesty, won’t get me anywhere either. Don’t you see, Padfoot?”

“I see that what you catalogued at age fifteen doesn’t always hold up in the real world,” Sirius returned with a directness that cut Remus to the bone. “But I wouldn’t worry about Ginny taking too much stock in her mother’s intrusive comments. Because a schoolgirl has already concluded that if you can draw her out in lengthy conversation, you can do the same with anyone, anywhere.”

“It’s not so easy with strangers,” Remus protested. “I can just be myself with Ginny. She already knows the worst of me and is still my friend.”

“So do a lot of people…”

“Not any that I’d like to pursue a romantic relationship with, all right!”

“What about my cousin, Nymphadora?”

“Tonks,” Remus responded automatically. “She prefers to be called ‘Tonks’.”

Sirius looked him over with a sharp, critical eye. “And you know this how?”

“Because she tells everyone she meets with the first words out of her mouth.”

“She knows your furry little secret and doesn’t turn away from you in disgust.”

“She grew up in a family with liberal attitudes. Yes, despite being related to the Blacks. Not to mention that she’s had to deal with a lot of narrow-mindedness herself.”

“Sounds like you’ve spent a good deal of time in conversation with her.”

“Frankly, Padfoot, if you weren’t so inebriated half the time, you’d remember those conversations yourself!”

“Really?” Sirius retorted hotly. “Then tell me why, oh why, I have no ruddy problem remembering when she asked me if you were seeing anyone?”

“Doesn’t mean I’d consider going out with her!”

“She said much the same thing. But I told her that you were just determined to be a curmudgeon all your life and drive me crazy! I also suggested to her that perhaps bubble-gum pink hair wasn’t your favorite. Have you noticed how adorable she looks in blue and purple as well?”

“It’s not the hair…” Remus stammered, wishing he’d nicked this conversation much earlier.

“And it’s not the werewolf thing,” Sirius volunteered.

“That will always be an issue. She has no idea what it means on a day-to-day basis.”

“Already covered that with her. Gave her a detailed compendium of our days at Hogwarts.”

“So now she definitely thinks I’m a total tosser.”

“I left out the personal parts, the parts that might be prejudicial to a lady friend. Besides, why would you care anyway? I got the distinct impression you were trying to convince me you weren’t attracted to her.”

“Well, you certainly didn’t pick up on the message that you should mind your own business, did you?”

Sirius lowered his glass with an unsteady clunk, the sound echoing in the abrupt silence. “Moony….?” he inquired in a leading fashion.

Taking advantage of the sudden realization that he was the more sober of the two, Remus slowly rose from the table. “Goodnight,” he stressed as the kitchen door swung shut behind him.

Having finished his tale, Remus topped off the liquid in their tumblers and offered a self-effacing grin to indicate that Harry knew the rest of the story.

“It’s doubly difficult admitting to feelings you don’t think you’re entitled to have,” Harry commiserated. “Especially if you feel you might be endangering someone you love.”

“I have to say that, in retrospect, we were both wrong.”

“Either that, or we’re both married to extraordinarily stubborn women!” Harry’s eyes were drawn to the untouched glass of Firewhiskey sitting before Sirius’ place. “Why didn’t you share this with me earlier?” Harry considered, motioning towards the worn parchment containing Sirius’ codicil.

Remus hesitated before replying, “It never seemed to be the right time.”

“Were you so sure I wouldn’t understand as Sirius seemed to think?”

“To some degree. You have to remember that Sirius’ words were influenced by the young lad of fifteen whom he’d gotten to know. Besides, I didn’t want you to think that was why I had….reordered my life.”

“Didn’t his words influence you?”

“It was gratifying to know he was behind me, but my actions were solely my own. My motivations were just as personal as yours.”

“But his words were so heartfelt. How could you be unmoved?”

“Does this look like the face of a man who was unmoved? Sirius’ words meant the world to me in those dark days after his death. They were a lifeline to the world of the living. Something to cherish during those lonely nights spent undercover among the werewolves.”

“But you were among others like yourself. Surely you made friends; just look at Sera and Bridget.”

“Had they known my true identity, I would’ve been branded as an infiltrator. An enemy and not a friend,” Remus expounded with stark candor. “My true self was locked away in the back of my mind. Being able to live only within those few centimeters is a difficult task. I felt like I spent my days with a miniature Moody perched on my shoulder whispering, ‘Constant vigilance.’”

“Would that be Mad-Eye with the crooked halo or a pitchfork?”

Remus laughed at Harry’s quip. “A little of both,” he admitted.

“You make it sound as if you were just as down and out as some of those other werewolves and that’s never really been the case. Why, your work with the Order --”

“”was often the only thing keeping me alive,” Remus emphasized. “But I could hardly hope for a perpetual war that would keep me gainfully employed, now could I? Here I was striving to bring peace yet that very peace could rob me of everything.”

“Was it really that hopeless?”

“It seemed like that at times; certainly in those years after Sirius had been hauled off to Azkaban.”

“And then when he fell through the Veil….Those were difficult days for me as well.”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t have been more helpful during those months. Unfortunately, Dumbledore had other plans for me.”

“The ultimate puppet master,” Harry intoned affectionately.

“I actually think he foresaw that my immersion among the werewolves would change my life.”

“For the better?”

“That’s always the issue, isn’t it?” Remus mused. “I suppose it depends upon what fortitude resides within ourselves as to whether we will emerge triumphant or fall by the wayside. Trust me: it has taken me a number of years to reassess those harrowing experiences in a more positive manner.”

“Spinning gold out of hay?”

“Isn’t that what we all do to some extent? Those lonely days made me radically rethink what I wanted from my life, Harry. I probably wouldn’t be here today if my framework hadn’t been shaken to its very foundation.”

“How so, Remus? You always had the world around you so perfectly pigeonholed.”

“And yet I managed to write myself right out of the narrative. You see, I’d always tempered my goals with what was possible for a werewolf to achieve. Convinced myself to accept the limitations imposed by society, by the Ministry, by countless others who had no real right to dictate to me what I could or couldn’t do. The werewolf compound was nothing but the physical manifestation of how I’d locked away my own dreams. I suppose that was one of Dumbledore’s reasons for sending me there: to have me see the truth for the very first time.”

“What did you do?” Harry prompted, transfixed that Remus was addressing a segment of his life that was generally off limits.

“Why I rebelled, of course! The Marauder in me awoke from slumber and declared his fundamental right to a happy and fulfilling existence. From then on, I’ve strived to be true to myself and not settle for second best just because I had the misfortune to be bitten.”

“I thought that Tonks being an irresistible force had a lot to do with how things worked out,” Harry supplied with a smirk.

Smiling in return, Remus allowed, “Well, that too.”

From the head of the table, the untouched amber liquid in Sirius’ glass glowed like a jewel, drawing their eyes to it again and again.

“Do you feel like he’s listening to us?” Harry issued in a reverent whisper. “Sirius, I mean.”

“All the time. Even when his star is occluded in the night sky. It makes no difference; his spirit transcends all manmade boundaries.” Remus raised his glass in the direction of the empty chair. “To undying friendship,” he proposed, then swallowed the last inch of whiskey in one long gulp.

“Not a day goes by, Sirius, not a single day,” Harry echoed as he followed suit.

“To the youngest Head Auror in Ministry history,” Remus proposed as he refilled their glasses.

“Perhaps we should wait before drinking to that,” Harry protested.

Catching Harry’s lost look, Remus gently pried, “What makes you say that? Another wrinkle in the fabric?”

“If only! The Umbridge case has…taken an unexpected turn.” He hesitated briefly before deciding that confidentiality didn’t rightly apply in this case. “A formal request came across my desk for special visitation rights. From that bottom-feeder, Gerard Mortimer.”

Remus nodded knowingly. “The same low-life who couldn’t wait to hail Fenrir Greyback as the latest literary discovery.”

“Can you imagine how much Umbridge will relish wagging her tongue with no constraints about whether she’s telling the truth or not? Mortimer asserts that his volumes aren’t labeled as fiction or nonfiction; he just leaves it to the reader to suit himself.”

“As long as she’s penning her memoirs from Azkaban, I’m not certain you can restrict her. Only a totalitarian government would do so.”

“You mean like the one she espoused with the Death Eaters?”

“Ironic, isn’t it?” Remus commiserated.

“Kingsley said the most the Wizengamot could do was to include a clause in her sentencing that prevents any personal gain from her crimes. Any profits from the book would have to be consigned to charity.” Harry took a thoughtful swallow before continuing, “I doubt she’d care about that, though. She just likes to be the center of attention.”

“She can’t very well participate in any book signings from that far-flung rock,” Remus mused.

“Nor am I likely to support any costly remote interviews; not this time around,” Harry affirmed.

“Not even if Dolores promises to deliver the goods on another dark associate who has slipped through the cracks?”

“We can hash that out one-on-one, but not across the airwaves. It’s about time someone clipped her wings; Severus was right about that.”

With the infamous Marauder grin, Remus proposed a unique angle of his own. “How about if the book proceeds were earmarked for the betterment of werewolves? Would the Wizengamot agree to that?”

Harry grinned as the perfect solution fell into his lap. Either Umbridge’s egotism would help to fund some sort of charitable concern for werewolves “ or she’d grace them all with blessed silence. How could they possibly lose?

“To the perfect double-edged sword,” Harry toasted Remus’ devilish scheme.

Summoning Sirius’ glass to him in one simple motion, Remus raised it high. “If he were with us today, I have no doubt Sirius would be relishing the ultimate prank on the Toad Woman himself.” His eyes burned into Harry’s as he intoned, “To the future.”

Taking the half empty tumbler from Remus’ hand, Harry downed the remainder in a single gulp. He ignored the tears that sprang from the fiery sensation down the length of his throat as the memories swirled about them, sublimating one into the other without surcease.

Should it have surprised him that Sirius had left such an indelible imprint on these surroundings? He may have only lived here a few years as an adult, but his first sixteen years had been spent within these very walls. The resilience with which he approached his own life could only mean that his presence was felt more keenly than those of the rest of his family. Or perhaps, it was simply that Sirius had been the last to live here. Harry didn’t presume to understand the ultimate truth; such metaphysical ramblings had always been Dumbledore’s department, not his.

The future and the past -- that was all they had in life. The present was such a transitory moment, melting like a snowflake on the tongue. Gone into the past before one could hardly grasp it.

With sudden intuition, Harry knew that was just the sort of thing his mother would’ve confided to Remus. Perhaps when they were Prefects on patrol, perhaps when they braved the elements to take a walk on the grounds as he’d once witnessed in a Pensieve. The one true friend who had always stood by her in word, thought and actions. No wonder she had come to love the man just as much as he had.

As they Levitated the soiled crockery towards the worn sink and started the brushes to scrubbing of their own accord, Harry conceded that his mother’s ways were truly subtle and enduring. Despite the intervening years, he could feel her smile beaming down at him from across the table.
Epilogue: A Bend in the Road by L A Moody
Author's Notes:
In which we return to the post-Deathly Hallows world which was introduced in the Prologue (Chapter One).


Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.




Epilogue
A Bend in the Road




Harry closed the notebook cover as the shy spring sunshine caressed the backs of his hands. He shaded his eyes to gaze across the scintillating pond where dragonflies danced among the scattered cattails. It was the sleepy part of the afternoon, the portion after the splendid luncheon Molly had served on the back veranda and before afternoon tea.

On the far bank, Teddy relaxed with his arms crossed behind his turquoise hair and a faraway gaze trained upon the fluffy clouds above. There was still a bit of childish exuberance about him as if life had yet to tarnish his boyish optimism. Such was the bounty of having grown to manhood in a time of peace.

It was hardly surprising that Teddy had woven so easily in and out of his father’s point of view. There was little doubt that he had inherited Remus’ love for all types of literature, Harry considered as the words of the story were still fresh in his mind. If asked about Orwell’s Animal Farm, Teddy would likely say that it made a strong case for stringent inspection of the rural water supply and the hormones being added to our food.

Harry smiled to note that his godson had inherited his mother’s irreverent sense of humor. Andromeda once confessed that her daughter and son-in-law had often laughed long into the night. One more reason why the house had seemed so deathly quiet when they were gone.

Noticing that Harry had finished reading, Teddy bounded over and folded his long limbs to sit on the grassy bank at his godfather’s side.

“So? What’d you think?” he urged with a wide grin.

Unsure where to begin, Harry settled for, “So you always wanted a little sister?”

Teddy shrugged noncommittally. “It seemed an innocent enough wish.”

“You put a lot of effort into this. Research even.”

Teddy’s modesty rose to the forefront. “Not as much as you’d think. Gran was my food and fashion consultant.”

“What about the addendum to Sirius’ will?”

Teddy smiled self-consciously. “That was the real thing. Gran found the parchment among Dad’s things when she repacked them for storage. The tingle of magic made her set it aside “ for years it seems. It was only after James and Albus demonstrated how to unlock the Marauder’s Map that she found the key.”

“Remus warded it with the same spell,” Harry marveled as he imagined the words rising from the depths of the parchment. “Do you have the original?”

“Gran does; it’s her present to you. But she allowed me to introduce it within my manuscript. Said it would be less of a shock that way.”

Harry was speechless as he hugged his godson tightly.

Teddy’s light-hearted laugh issued from beneath Harry’s ear before they disentangled themselves. “Sorry it’s a bit overdue.” Making a quick calculation on his fingers, he supplied, “Your birthday was nine months ago.”

What did it matter? Harry considered inwardly. Such generosity of spirit was priceless. Aloud, he didn’t trust himself to mutter more than, “Thank you.”

Clearly embarrassed, Teddy made aimless circles in the spent flower petals littering the ground. It was not so long ago that he had been forbidden to use magic outside of school and had settled for scooping them up by hand. With mischief dancing in his eyes, his wand performed the familiar movement and a smoky Patronus shot forth.

The large silvery wolf leveled a very humanlike gaze at Harry. Its perfectly defined tongue slinked out to lick its lips, revealing a menacing row of teeth. Harry returned a small smile as the wolf caught sight of a wispy, gamboling butterfly and playfully took chase.

“It’s not always the same, you know,” Teddy remarked as he indicated the gaily fluttering wings. “Sometimes it’s a leaf dancing in the wind, or a faerie, or a small bird. But the emotion is always the same.”

“I think it would’ve thrown both your parents into gales of laughter,” Harry noted, entranced by his godson’s unique double Patronus. With a note of sadness, he added, “And for a man who so enjoyed a good belly laugh, Remus didn’t get much opportunity to enjoy life “ at least not until he met your mother.”

“They were truly amazing people, weren’t they?”

“Absolutely, and I have no doubt great things would’ve come from their combined talents,” Harry assured him. “Just look at you.”

“Imaging their further adventures really did make me feel closer to them “ especially when you consider that I never knew them firsthand.”

“You did, Teddy. You may not recall, but I think your subconscious always knows. It remembers being loved. It was the same for me; that’s why I was so certain I was being short-changed all those years I lived with my aunt and uncle.”

Harry did his best to keep his face neutral as a slip of movement through the trees indicated that the afternoon’s special guest had arrived. He knew it was all Molly and Arthur could do to keep the exuberant hordes of children from pouring forth to spoil the surprise he had in store for his godson. In the distance, he spied Ginny pointing in the direction of the derelict pond before the screen door closed behind her.

Unable to contain himself any longer, Harry confided, “I have a special treat for you, too, Spook. A true surprise, not just one of George’s pranks this time.”

With a tilt of his head, Harry indicated the figure mincing his way towards them, his face concealed beneath the shadows of a wide straw hat.

“Who is it?” Teddy pondered aloud as he squinted his eyes to see better.

“An old friend,” was the most Harry would say.

“Blimey! Those overgrown tree roots are a right menace,” a deep voice grumbled as it approached.

Finally succumbing to his excitement, Harry urged Teddy to his feet and, together, they walked up to meet their guest. The straw boater slipped off the man’s head as Harry caught him up in an exuberant hug.

“It’s such a joy to see your ugly face, old man!” Harry cried in delight.

“Don’t crush the merchandise,” the other man growled.

Teddy hung back in confusion. The bronzed and balding head did not belong to anyone he recognized.

“You have to admit the native tan enhances my innate good looks,” the stranger announced as he foppishly turned this way and that. Spying Teddy, he hobbled forward eagerly, his mismatched eyes devouring every detail.

“He gets his hair from Nymphadora,” Harry volunteered. “Teddy, I’d like to introduce --”

“Mad-Eye Moody!” Teddy breathed reverently. It was as if the pages of his story had come to life. “But Harry always said --”

“Harry got it dead wrong, lad!” Moody chortled in amusement. “Forgot to follow his own advice about not coming to any conclusions without a dead body.”

“The first rule of detective fiction,” Harry admitted with a sheepish grin. “Why does it not surprise me you’d be the one to beat the odds?”

“So where have you been all these years?” Teddy pressed with unabashed delight.

“Overseas,” Moody admitted. “But that’s all I’m going to tell you up front. No fair peeking at the ending without hearing the rest of the story.”

“Can I ask what made you decide to return?” Harry inquired cautiously.

Gripping his walking stick more firmly, Moody threw his other arm companionably around Harry’s shoulders. “You did, lad.” At Harry’s bewildered expression, he elaborated, “Padma Patil loaned me a copy of your alternate history which had been passed through countless hands before her. You wove a compelling tale, son.”

Catching on, Harry stammered, “But that was a private printing of sorts, written primarily for Teddy’s benefit. We only gave a few volumes out to close friends.”

“Which explains why it took years to filter into my hands,” Moody allowed. “In the meanwhile, I’ve been busy myself.” With an awkward twist, he withdrew a tiny parcel from his breast pocket and commanded, “Engorgio!”

Within moments, they were staring at a book cover which read: Chocolate Frog: The Improbable Life and Times of Alastor Moody. Before a dark background, a silvery foil packet unwrapped, the brown frog barely hesitating before taking a mighty leap off the page. In its wake, a rakish photo of Moody himself winked a disproportionately large blue eye.

“So you finally made good your threat to write your memoirs,” Harry chuckled. “Say, how did you keep the Chocolate Frog people from suing you?”

“That’s the most ingenious part,” Moody confided lowly as the other two drew closer. “My publisher’s cousin owns the confectionary which produces Chocolate Frogs. Sold him on something called a ‘product tie-in.’”

Teddy nodded knowingly. “Your book will boost their sales as well.”

“Everyone will want to get their hands on the corrected card,” Moody specified. “Seems they were a bit premature in showing my date of death as July 1997.”

“Those vintage cards just became highly prized for that very reason,” Harry observed dryly. “My sons will be thrilled with the news.”

“Molly, too,” Moody added.

Could Mad-Eye be referring to the Fallen Heroes of Hogwarts cards that paid homage to Fred along with Remus and Tonks? Harry wondered inwardly. He had accompanied Teddy and Andromeda to a brief unveiling ceremony while George had gracefully sent his regrets along with the rest of the Weasley family.

Sensing Harry’s confusion, Moody extolled with a wry twinkle, “I negotiated them to finally immortalize Fabian and Gideon Prewett with a card of their own. One card between them, but at least they’ll finally be recognized for their singular bravery.”

Harry smiled, recalling Molly’s recurring rant about the egregious oversight her side of the family had suffered at the hands of the Chocolate Frog company. Not that it had dissuaded her children or grandchildren from buying the product, mind you.

“I left the Prewett card up at the house, but the corrected version of mine is inside the flyleaf,” Moody urged. “I brought one for each of you.”

With undisguised eagerness, Teddy opened the front cover and pulled out one of the pristine cards.

Alastor “Mad-Eye” Moody

1930 “ present

Auror

Distinguished member, Order of the Phoenix


Reported as lost during the Battle of the Seven Harrys, Alastor Moody recently announced that reports of his death had been grossly exaggerated. His return to British soil heralded the publication of a book of memoirs that would finally set the record straight. The central victim in a scandalous case of identity theft, Moody’s groundbreaking research with little-known properties of the Polyjuice Potion is still classified as highly secret by the Ministry of Magic. Throughout his long life, Moody has enjoyed such diverse activities as spelunking, avant-garde theatre, and spicy foods of all types.


“Look, Teddy,” Harry breathed, staring open mouthed at the book dedication.

For Harry Potter and countless others

whose lives were mangled

in selfless pursuit of freedom

for magical beings everywhere


Teddy beamed into Moody’s swirling magical eye. “You dedicated it to my parents as well.”

“Absolutely,” Moody concurred. “True heroes, they were. Both of ‘em.”

From the back porch, Molly waved her kitchen towel to signal that teatime was drawing near.

As they wound their way back towards the Burrow, Teddy implored, “So you knew my parents in their heyday?”

“Aye, you could say I was the one who made an Auror out of Dora. Gave her some strict training to temper her abundant enthusiasm.”

“Did you know my dad?”

“Him, too,” Moody attested. “Never lacked for brain power and initiative. Dora gave him a much needed shot of confidence as I recall.”

The words tumbled out of Teddy’s mouth of their own volition, “Will you read my words and see if they ring true?” With uncertain hands, he offered up the notebook full of densely written parchment pages, the very one which Harry had just finished reading.

Moody’s chuckle rumbled like a barely banked volcano. “A trade of sorts. So the writing bug got to you as well?”

“He added to my earlier attempts,” Harry clarified as Moody’s non-magical eye grew wide in wonder.

“So the saga continues?” the veteran Auror breathed. “Oh, I so look forward to reading this. It’s a rare honor, my boy!” he attested solemnly.

“My friends call me ‘Spook,’” Teddy pronounced as he stood up taller.

“Then I’d be honored if you’d call me ‘Mad-Eye,’” Moody returned as he proffered his weathered hand with great ceremony. “Although I suspect you’ve already done so in your tale, haven’t you?”

Teddy nodded with a wide grin. “At least, I didn’t leave you out!”

Moody threw back his head and laughed unabashedly.

“Teddy has this idea about turning the townhouse at Grimmauld Place into a war museum of sorts,” Harry ventured. He held back his proposition that Teddy himself would make the ideal curator; that could wait until the project was funded.

“It’s been lying vacant, I take it?” Moody posed.

It was as if a dark sheet of rain temporarily occluded the light in Harry’s eyes. “Too many ghosts. And it’s badly in need of refurbishment.”

Moody tilted his head in thought as his magical eye swirled in lazy circles. “Might be just the thing to give a boost to Kingsley’s administration,” he agreed.

“You know the Minister for Magic, too?” Teddy interjected in awe.

“Aye,” Moody confirmed. “Only he wasn’t much older than you when I started training him as an Auror. Seemed a hopeless task at times. Your mother was the true star in that department, even if those blighters were too narrow-minded to truly appreciate her.”

The sharp report of the screen door slamming directed their attention to the top of the rise. An unrestrained herd of children poured forth, scrambling down the incline like mismatched beach balls once they caught site of the three men. Bringing up the rear, Molly cradled George’s latest, Roxanne, in her arms.

“We’ll have to table any serious discussions until later,” Harry advised lowly as he was practically bowled over by his daughter, Lily.

Ginny ran up in her wake, apologizing, “Sorry, sweetheart. We did our best to give you a bit of space, but the excitement was just too much.”

“Actually took the three of us to cast a strong enough Imperturbable Charm,” Arthur admitted with a self-effacing grin.

“Rather like a dam bursting, isn’t it?” Molly commented. “They all insisted on playing hide-and-seek with a true virtuoso.”

“Seems your reputation precedes you, old man,” Harry chortled.

“They just want to take advantage of the fact that I haven’t yet mastered this new magical eye,” Moody conceded. “But don’t expect me to tell you where the blind-spot is! If you want to play with an unbeatable foe, then you’d better be ready to bear the consequences.”

The children tittered as they danced out of reach. In the background, Louis broke away from his sister, Dominque, who was clearly torn between playing with the younger children or hanging back in a lady-like fashion.

“Looks like our delivery from Shell Cottage has arrived,” Teddy observed as he excused himself. “They’ll be needing my help with the shucking.”

Idly, Harry wondered whether Bill had gathered oysters, mussels or clams for their Easter supper. Then chuckled at the thought that Teddy’s excitement had nothing to do with the culinary treat, but rather with seeing Victoire.

In the background, Moody’s amicable growls were interspersed with the carefree laughter of children as they scattered to stay ahead of his magical eye.

“Molly will call them all back in soon enough,” Ginny noted as she wrapped her arm around Harry’s waist.

Harry was filled with contentment as his eyes drifted over the joyous gathering. If Teddy’s ideas about the future and the past held true, then dreams were the glue that held everyone together. And every once in a while, if Fate smiled in your direction, she’d throw you a lucky curve ball.


FIN


End Notes:
Or is this just another beginning?
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84532