Right up the Road by leftrightmiddle
Summary: Starring one quirky redhead, one spunky blonde, one klutzy brunette and two boys who tag along. They're all the best of friends, but can it stay that way? Will they always be right up the road for each other? The ups, downs, joys and excitements of being a fourteen year old witch and the only daughter of the Boy Who Lived.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 6754 Read: 7261 Published: 09/11/10 Updated: 10/30/10
Story Notes:
DISCLAIMER: I am not JKR, but I want to thank her for creating such a wonderful world we can all enjoy!

I am also not Bill Withers, who owns all rights to the song "Lean on Me", which is where the story inspiration is from, and the title. I am not Bill because I am not seventy year old man, and other reasons we need not get into.

0. The Send-Off by leftrightmiddle

2. Into the Castle by leftrightmiddle

3. School Days and Rainy Days by leftrightmiddle

The Send-Off by leftrightmiddle
Author's Notes:
Okay, well here's the first chapter, everyone! I'll try to have the second chapter up soon, my beta returned it speedy quick. Thanks to Aleesha, who beta'd this chapter!

“Sometimes in our lives,
We all have pain,
We all have sorrow,
But, if we are wise,
We know that there’s
Always tomorrow"

Lily emerged from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, her dark red hair flowing in front of her. She smoothed the front of her Muggle shirt and fixed her hair. A tiny, clean yellow leaf fluttered out of her hair, and figuring it probably got stuck there from the cold autumn trees outside, she picked it up and threw it in the trash.

She watched impatiently as her mother, father, and finally two brothers came through to the platform as well.

“Aw, look at my little brother, already in sixth year,” James teased.

“Go away, James,” warned Al.

“Boys, don’t start,” said Harry.

Lily rolled her hazel eyes, not unlike her grandfather’s. Her family could be a little embarrassing.

“Has anyone seen Rose?” asked Al.

“Albus! You saw her last week at the Burrow!” said Ginny.

Albus shrugged and walked away. By now, all of the Weasleys were here. Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione came up to talk to her parents. With a wave at them (she had seen them last week after all), Lily figured Hugo couldn’t be too far away. She set off to find him, leaving her trunk and Athena, her owl, for her dad and Uncle Ron to put away.

The platform was loud and noisy. Lily pushed politely through the crowds, still searching. All her aunts and uncles and cousins were here, making noise and taking up a lot of space. She whirled around as she felt someone tap her on the shoulder.

“Hugo! Are you ready for fourth year?”

“Are you kidding? Dad bought me a new broom. He reckons I needed one; my old one barely flew faster than old Nimbus. It’s no Galaxy, of course, but get this... he bought me a Firebolt 3000! I hope James keeps us on the team.”

Lily could tell he was excited because he said this all very fast. Aunt Hermione said it was a very bad habit of his, talking rushed when he got nervous or happy.

“Cool!” She smiled up at him. At fourteen, he was a good four inches taller than her, her own height a tiny five-foot two.

“So, what about you?” He flicked his long, reddish-brown hair out of his eyes.

“Just a new schoolbag. It’s pink. Mum said it would clash with my hair, but I didn’t really care in the slightest.”

Hugo laughed. “I didn’t even notice.”

“That’s 'cause you’re a boy.”

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“It has to do with everything,” said Aunt Hermione, coming up behind them. “Trust me. Growing up with your dads taught me that lesson.”

“What lesson?” Uncle Ron said, as he, Ginny and Harry came up to them.

“That boys are tactless, and sometimes very arrogant.” Aunt Hermione shared a smile with Ginny.

“At least I don’t have an emotional range of a teaspoon,” said Harry loudly and pointedly.

“Still bringing that one up, eh, mate?”

“C’mon, Ron, that was a classic!”

Aunt Hermione was laughing loudly, and Ginny looked confused.

Lily and Hugo were left standing together in awkward silence, watching their parents’ odd behaviour.

“Time to board the train. Potter and Weasley clan, over here!” Uncle George shouted loudly.

“George, be quiet!” said Aunt Angelina, tugging at his arm.

Lily and Hugo made their way over to where they were standing, the older kids reluctantly heading over.

“All right, hugs all around!” said Uncle George. As all the kids went around hugging parents and uncles and aunts and grandparents, likewise for the adults, Lily snuck away to her mother and father.

Lily felt a wave of anxiousness that she always felt before going to Hogwarts. Of course, it was the best place on earth, but it meant not seeing her family for three whole months. In the end, though, if given a choice, Hogwarts was always her first.

“Be good this year, Lils,” said Harry, squeezing her tight.

“Bye, Daddy. Love you.” She smiled up at him.

She went to hug her mother. “Love you,” said Ginny.

Lily felt Hugo come up beside her.

“Ready to go?” he asked. Lily racked her brain. Yes, she had said all her good-byes.

“Yup,” she replied. Lily felt a familiar tingle of excitement and anxiousness in the back of her belly button.

She was finally going back to Hogwarts.




They followed all the cousins onto the train: seventh years Fred, Dominique and James, sixth years Rose and Al, fifth year Roxanne, with third year Molly and first year Louis behind them. Lily was excited to see what House the newest cousin at Hogwarts would be Sorted into.

Once the two of them had found a compartment, Lily sank down onto the bench beside Hugo. “When do you think the others will be here?” she asked, grateful to finally be sitting down on the comfy, plush benches.

He shrugged. “No idea.”

Finally, when Lily thought she would burst from the anxiousness to see all their other friends, Alexis Benndell bounced in, her dark hair swinging behind her. Forever the klutz, she tripped over Lily’s new bag. She stood up straight and grinned.

“Alexis!” Lily laughed and held her arms out for a hug. Hugo was her best friend, but it was nice to have a girl friend, too.

“Cut the girly-girl stuff,” a voice said as the compartment door slid open again.

In walked Max Clark, and behind him, his twin sister Payton, Lily’s other close girl friend, not looking amused at her brother’s bossy tone. All five of them were in Gryffindor together.

“Just for that...” Lily ran up to him and enveloped him into a tight hug. Max squeezed her really hard and set her down, Lily gasping for air.

“Haha.” Lily stuck her tongue out at him and went to hug his twin. Alexis had sat down, waiting for the commotion to die down.

“Lily! I missed you so much!” Payton squeezed her tightly.

Max had taken the seat across from Hugo, and they were discussing Quidditch. Lily went to go take the seat beside Hugo again.

“So, how was your summer?” Lily asked her three friends who were sitting across from her.

“Amazing!” answered Alexis, her amber eyes flickering with excitement at the memories. “My parents took me to Hawaii, you know, in the United States. That was so cool! Oh, you guys would have loved all the beaches. Of course, my dad was there on business, you see, so he wasn’t around as much as my mum. But it was gorgeous!”

“Lucky!” Payton’s blue eyes narrowed. “We stayed home all summer.”

“It wasn’t that bad, P,” said Max. “At least Aaron came to visit.”

Aaron, Lily knew, was Payton and Max’s twenty-three year old brother. He was training to be a Healer at St. Mungo’s and had a flat in London.

“Our holiday wasn’t bad either,” said Hugo, speaking for himself and Lily. “We spent three weeks at the Burrow.”

“Merlin, you guys have a lot of family. How do you all fit at the Burrow?” asked Alexis.

Lily giggled. It was true - they did have a lot of family. “It’s been magically enlarged inside, a Undecetable Extension Charm, you see, and rooms have been added.”

“That’s so neat!” Alexis, being Muggle-born, didn’t live in a magical environment at home.

Payton laughed at Alexis’ excitement of the Wizarding World. With a flip of her hair, she engaged Max in a thumb wrestle.

“Ha! I win!!” Payton grinned.

“Did not, that was only eight seconds, not 10!” whined Max.

“Was not!” Payton snapped.

“Was too!”

“Would you guys shut up for two seconds?” Alexis rolled her eyes. “It’s like being in a room with a married couple.” Alexis always managed to say exactly what was on her mind.

“Oh, I love her, really,” Max grabbed his sister in a hug. “She’s my baby sister.”

“By two minutes!” Payton exclaimed.

“So?”

“Guys!” Lily noticed Alexis grew steadily more annoyed with their bickering. It was actually very funny to watch.

Just then, Chris McLaggen, a fourth year Hufflepuff (who had asked Lily out numerous times last year) walked by. She groaned and buried her face in Hugo’s shoulder, who chuckled softly.

Chris was obnoxious and arrogant, just like his father. Lily had heard numerous stories from Aunt Hermione about Cormac McLaggen, which were all highly entertaining, actually. But she was sensitive enough to understand how annoying Cormac McLaggen was.

He looked as though he was going to stop by, but the minute he caught Max’s glares, he continued walking.

“Never liked him,” Max said, clearly annoyed.

“Wonder why,” said Hugo dryly.

“Shut up!”

Lily stared in confusion. Boys. She hated it when Chris asked her out. She didn’t feel right turning him down all the time, but what was she supposed to do? It wasn’t as if she wanted to go out with him. Nevertheless she still felt guilty.

Alexis let out a yawn. “Alright, well, I’m going to sleep.”

“Already?” asked Max.

“Yes, and I would appreciate it if you MOVED. I’m not going to sit all curled up in a tiny ball, am I?” Her voice was laced with sarcasm.

“Just swing your legs onto my knees!”

Alexis rolled her eyes but did as she was told. In two minutes she was asleep. Payton had her knees drawn up to her chest beside Max. Lily was sitting cross legged on the bench opposite her, and Hugo had his feet on the ground, with his head resting against the seat.

She sighed. The train ride was fun for awhile, but soon it got aggravating. It annoyed her that only a few hours separated her from Hogwarts. Nothing but time. Time was one of the most precious and undefeatable substances in the world. There was nothing she could do about it. And that, she supposed, was the reason it annoyed her so.

Payton suddenly smiled mischievously.

“Does anyone have-”

“No way, P,” said Max

“But-”

“No.”

“You didn’t even hear-“

“But I know anyway.”

“That’s so unfair!”

“I know. Twin’s advantage.”

“Please! It wont hurt her!”

“I don’t care.”

By this time, Lily and Hugo were quite curious as to what Payton was planning.

Max explained, at the look on their faces, “Payton wanted a felt pen to draw on Alexis’ face.”

“That totally wasn’t it!” Her face fell after a moment. “That was exactly it,” she said gloomily.

Lily and Hugo laughed, and Max grinned. “I’ll admit, it was sort of funny.”

“Come on, Payton, try not to get into that much trouble this year, okay?” Lily said, suddenly becoming serious. Although, nothing livened a boring train ride up quite like Payton.

Payton stuck the tip of her tongue out at her in reply.

Lily was worried. Payton had managed to land herself eighteen detentions last year.

“What would Alexis say?” asked Hugo, smiling.

“Ha! I think she tells me off more than my mother!” remarked Payton.

“Yeah, she would probably magic the ink off her face anyways,” decided Max.

“The joys of being a witch,” said Hugo. Payton just looked annoyed that she hadn’t figured out the loopholes in her plan.

“Yeah, well. Lils, are you staying on the team this year?” asked Max.

“Yup, Hugo and I both. James was made Quidditch Captain, so he reckons he’ll just keep the same team as last year.”

The Gryffindor Quidditch team consisted of Keeper James, Chasers Lily, Hugo and Alexis, Beaters Fred Weasley and Troy Liggins, and Seeker Albus.

Max nodded. “I thought you might say that. Sorry, Payton.”

“That’s all right.” Payton looked anywhere but at the four of them. Lily knew she desperately wanted to be on the Quidditch team. She would have been jealous, too, if it was her.

“Anyways, guess what happened this summer?” Payton said, grinning.

“Hold on.. I thought you were just telling us how awful your summer was?” Lily laughed.

“Well, I lied. Anyway, so you know how I’ve been using Aaron’s wand since mine broke last year? My parents got me a new one!”

Lily frowned. “Broke? P, you dropped it into a Swelling Solution!” Max nodded.

“Oh, well, that’s not the point! The point is that I have a new wand!” Payton exclaimed.

“What’s the wood and the core?” asked Hugo

“It’s cherry and phoenix tailfeather. Mr. Ollivander said it would work really well during Defence Against the Dark Arts! Which is good…Aaron’s willow and unicorn hair was more meant for Charms.”

“Well, that’s interesting. I think the only two people in the world who have had to walk into Ollivander’s twice is you and my Uncle Ron!” Lily said.

Max and Payton looked confused. “We’ll tell you that story another day,” Hugo said, laughing.

“Y’know, I think I’m going to try and fall asleep, too,” said Payton, tucking a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. She spun around, rested her feet against the glass door of the compartment and laid her head on Max’s the other half of his lap.

“Way to give me room, guys,” he grumbled. He lifted his long legs off the floor and rested the between Lily and Hugo, who proceeded to swing around and rest their backs on the window and the glass compartment. Lily winced as her back came in contact with cold window.

She settled herself against the window, her toes touching those of Hugo and Max. Eventually, she drifted off into a light sleep.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom!! The little white box down there looks empty. No one wants an empty box. Do me a favour and fill it with reviews, please? Thank you, and have and amazing day!
Into the Castle by leftrightmiddle
Author's Notes:
I'm back! Sorry for not updating sooner, to all you who are following this story. To the newcomers, welcome, and enjoy! I have a few chapters written, and hopefully they will be up soon.
Thanks so much to my beta Aleesha, and Dan. I would also like to thank Jenna for her support!
I am not JKR, which means I don't own Harry Potter.
Lily yawned and opened her eyes, still groggy with sleep, and checked out her surroundings.

Her head was still lying against the window, giving her a horrible kink in her neck. Hugo was opposite her ; his head lying on the compartment door. Looking at the bench across from them, Alexis was awake and twirling the ends of her hair, fighting off the last bits of sleep. Both twins were still snoring quietly.

“Do you want to get changed?” mouthed Alexis. Lily gave a slight nod, and grasped around for her bag under the seat. Alexis leaned over Max, and shook Payton awake. They quietly grabbed their own bags, and crept single file out the door.

The three of them made it to the back of the train where the loos were located, Alexis only tripping once. Lily quickly found a stall, and changed out of her Muggle clothing.

It was hot and stuffy in the loo. Lily and Payton stood at the mirror. Payton was applying lip gloss, and Lily was swinging her hair up in a ponytail.

Payton silently handed over her blue elastic. “Alexis, hurry up!” Lily exclaimed, twisting the elastic around her long hair.

She heard a sigh from behind the door, and Alexis stumbled out. The three Gryffindor girls stood in the bathroom, chatting, and adjusting their robes.

“Oh, no,” muttered Payton. “Does anyone have a scarf? I sort of forgot mine…”

Alexis sighed. “You’re impossible.”

Payton laughed. “You know you love me.”

“Here, take mine. Hugo always brings an extra one,” said Lily. She reached into her bag, and pulled out a maroon and gold striped scarf.

“C’mon, let’s get going. I want some more Chocolate Frogs,” instructed Payton, taking the scarf. “And I’m dying of heat in here, anyways.”




Lily poked her head into the compartment. Upon realizing her presence, Max whined, “Lily, he’s beating me again!”

“It’s just not your lucky day, is it?” she replied with a smile. “First it was the thumb war, and now Wizards chess!”

Hugo snorted. “He never beats me at Wizards chess!”

“I was trying to boost his self-confidence, Hugo,” Lily said with a smirk.

Hugo rolled his eyes in reply.

“Max’s self-confidence is big enough, trust me,” remarked Payton, pushing her way into the small compartment.

“Hey,” exclaimed Max, “I’m still the room! I happen to be very good at Wizard’s chess. And Exploding Snap for that matter.”

“Keep it up, and I’m going to have to Enlarge the compartment to accommodate your overly inflated head,” said Payton. “Lex, are we there yet?”

Alexis checked her watch. “Twenty more minutes, tops. You two should get changed,” she said, pointing to the boys.

Lily stood. “I am not staying in here,” she declared. Payton nodded and Alexis followed the two out.




“You guys can come back in,” said Hugo, after a few minutes.

“Thank God.” Alexis threw herself onto the seat, laying vertically.

“Are you okay?” asked Lily, her brow furrowing in concern.

“Fine…just a little dizzy.” Alexis closed her eyes, and the rest of the group exchanged worried glances.

There was a knock on their compartment door, and Lily saw a flash of a reddish brown curl. Rose Weasley poked her head in.

“Lily! I’ve been looking for you everywhere!” she said. “Come here!”

“Is everything okay?” Lily asked her cousin.

“Yes, I just wanted to show you this,” Rose produced from behind her back small beaded handbag. Lily scrunched her eyebrows.

“I don’t understand, “ said Lily, scrunching her eyebrows. “Is that the one that your mum used when she was on the run with Uncle Ron and Dad?”

Rose nodded, her face bright with excitement.

“Oh my God! That’s her favourite possession! It’s, like, a legend,” Lily breathed.

When they were nine or ten, and just starting to grasp what exactly their parents were famous for, Aunt Hermione used to bring out the beaded bag as a treat.

“I know, I’m so glad that she finally let me use it. Oh, Albus wanted me to give this to you. He said that Aunt Ginny said you might need it.”

She dropped an extra sweater in her hands. Lily blushed. She had forgotten to bring an extra one. How did mums always just know?

“He was all for keeping it and letting you freeze, but I convinced him. You know he wouldn’t though, he was only joking.”

“I still don’t understand how you still talk to him, let alone let him be your best friend!” Lily joked.

“You know he’s my favorite cousin…next to you of course.” Rose said with a smile. She twirled a curl around her finger.

Lily glared mockingly. “I better be right next to him!”

Rose laughed. “I’ll see you at Hogwarts, okay?” She put her arms around her little cousin, and walked away.

Lily made to slide the compartment door open, when a loud yell rang from the compartment. She jumped back, startled, then pressed her ear to the door. She entered the compartment, only to witness a yelling match that was taking place in the very centre of it.

“I KNOW you took it, Max! Now, GIVE IT BACK!” Payton yelled.

“Listen, why would I even want to touch your stupid scarf?” scoffed Max.

“I don’t know! Because you fancied a joke!” Payton exclaimed hotly.

“Oh, so, whenever I want to make a joke, I steal your scarf?”

“Yes!” Payton went red in the face.

“Mine’s right here! I don’t need yours! It smells like your perfume, anyways!” Max said, clearly annoyed.

“What the bloody hell is going on in here?” Lily intervened.

“He STOLE my scarf! As a JOKE!” Payton pronounced “joke” like it was the dirtiest word ever invented in the English language.

“What? You left your scarf at home, remember? And then you borrowed Lily’s! Which is right there,” said Alexis, looking dazed. She pointed under the bench.

Payton expression changed from blazing mad, to dawning comprehension.

“Oh yeah….”

Max threw his hands up in the air. “ ‘ Oh yeah?’ That’s all you can say, after you caused a row with me for no bloody reason?”

Payton looked ready to retaliate, but Hugo laid a hand on her arm. “You made a mistake, Payton. Just tell him you’re sorry.”

Payton glared. “It’s not that easy.”

“Just do it!” Alexis exclaimed, “The train’s coming to a stop.”

Payton looked up. “Sorry for accusing you of stealing my scarf,” she mumbled.

Max cracked a grin. “Did you just apologize to me? You three have good influences on her.”

Lily fell back with Hugo. “Do you have an extra scarf?” she asked sheepishly.

He laughed, and reached into his bag, producing two striped scarves. Hugo adjusted one over his neck and threw the other one around hers.

“Come on, little cousin,’ he said.

Lily snorted. “By three weeks!”

From in front of them, Alexis shrieked, “Don’t you two start, too!”

The two of them laughed. “I promise we won’t fight!” replied Hugo.

The five of them found an empty carriage, and settled themselves down. The group made idle chatter, anticipating what was to come. In what seemed like no time, they were pulling up in front of Hogwarts.




They made their way up the castle steps, shivering in the cold night air. Lily hugged her robes and scarf tighter around her. As they were climbing the last few steps, Alexis broke out in a run. “Ahhhh, warmth!”

“Magic! Finally!” said Payton, performing a Levitating spell on a random book for the fun of it. Lily welcomed the blanket of warm air that surrounded her numb body as she walked in.

They walked into the Great Hall, and settled themselves down at the Gryffindor table. Lily looked around the Hall, glad to finally be back at Hogwarts. Everything was so familiar, it was as though she had never left.




Lily twirled her fork idly between Payton and Hugo and barely listened as Headmaster Flitwick gave his usual speech.

“No one is allowed to enter the Forbidden Forest under any circumstances. All Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes products will be confiscated.”

At this remark, James, Fred and Ethan Jordan gave a loud whoop. Flitwick smiled and continued on.

Lily sighed, her stomach rumbling. She tuned out Flitwick and went back to twirling her fork.

“….and now we will start the Sorting. Professor Sprout, if you please.”

The Head of Hufflepuff House walked out, in her usual patched robes. A trail of first years followed in her wake, looking partly nervous and excited.

Professor Sprout set the Hat down on the stool, and unrolled her scroll.

“Asham, Jake,” she called.

A blonde haired boy stepped up to the stool. Within seconds, he became the first Gryffindor.

“Aleza, Maria,” became the first Hufflepuff, while “Bent, Nina,” was Sorted into Ravenclaw.

Lily clapped along with the rest of her fellow Gryffindors when a new kid was Sorted into her house, but her thoughts were fixed on Louis Weasley. His sister Dominque was giving him an encouraging sort of smile. Finally, “Weasley, Louis,” was called up.

The Hat was placed on his strawberry blond locks. After awhile of debating, the Sorting Hat called out “Gryffindor!”

Louis bounced happily to his seat, and went to go sit down beside Asham, Jake.

After the Sorting, Flitwick made a few more announcements, promising the feast would start in no time.

Hugo had his head on the table. “I’m starved! I need food!” he said overdramatically.

“Two more minutes,” promised Lily.

The second the words were out of her mouth, food appeared on the table. Everyone dug in, Lily realizing just how starved she actually was.

She shoveled boiled potatoes, roast chicken, salad and Yorkshire pudding onto her plate. Hugo was eating at the rate of speeding Hippogriff.

“ Hugo, you are so like Uncle Ron,” said Lily.

Two seats down from her, Dominique leaned her blonde head toward Lily. “Nah, Hugo eats. Uncle Ron inhales.”

James snorted at her remark, and Dom was rewarded with a high five by Fred. Lily smiled at her cousins and her brother, and turned back to her friends.

Alexis was sticking to her New Year’s resolution, and had a completely non-meat supper in front of her.

“Ew, Lex, how can you eat nothing but rabbit food?” asked Payton.

“I’d rather eat rabbit food than rabbits,” Alexis sniffed, and turned back to her salad.

Lily felt a disagreement coming on and quickly changed the subject. “Hey, has anyone heard the new Weird Sisters album?”

“Yeah! I heard this was going to be their last one. Shame, really,” proclaimed
Max.

“I think they’re a little to old to be making a comeback album, though. They’re, like, forty years old.” Alexis wrinkled her nose in distaste.

“Trust me, in the Wizarding World, that’s not very old,” Hugo smiled.

The group got into a heated discussion about the pros and cons to the album, while devouring dessert. Lily was just taking the last bite of her treacle tart when Headmaster Flitwick’s squeaky voice rang out, “Time for bed everyone! Prefects, lead the first years!”





Lily made beeline for the armchair in front of the fire. She remembered her father once told her that it was his favourite spot in the whole common room. If she concentrated hard enough, she could almost hear her Aunt Hermione, Uncle Ron and her dad conversing quietly amongst themselves.

Alexis threw herself down on the chair directly to the right of Lily. Hugo was sitting calmly on her left. The twins were on their stomachs in front of the fire.

The group watched the fire silently. Lily watched the sparks flick and leap. The wood made pleasant crackling noises in her ears, and she found herself nodding off.

“G’night, Lily,” said James, laying a hand on her head.

Dominique dropped a kiss on her cheek. “Night Lils.”

Fred flicked her on the head as he walked by. “See you, squirt.”

Lily watched as the three of them bid Hugo goodnight. They headed towards the dorms, departing at their designated staircases.

“Dude,” said Max dreamily. “A Veela just kissed you.”

Hugo shrugged. “It’s just Dominique. She does it all the time. Besides, she’s less than a quarter Veela.”

“So? That’s more than any girl at Hogwarts.” said Max, clearly in awe.

Lily felt a tiny pang in her stomach, but quickly pushed it away. She stole a glance at Max. He was sniffing the air, as if hoping to catch last whiffs of Dom’s perfume.

Payton sighed. “Forget the Veela. Lily, your brother is so cute!” Payton exclaimed in a voice way to peppy for the time of night.

Lily snorted. “Oh, please.”

“It’s true, though,” said Alexis matter-of-factly.

Lily rolled her eyes. It was clear that her two friends had done a lot of thinking on her seventeen year old brother.

“C’mon, we should b heading to bed,” said Hugo reasonably.

Without much protest, the five of them made their way to the staircase, warm and comfy duvets in mind.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading, and have an amazing day! Leave a review on your way out ;)
School Days and Rainy Days by leftrightmiddle
Author's Notes:
Here's the third one! Hope you like it! Thanks to my beta Aleesha, and Jenna for her support :)
I am not JKR, and I never will be. Ever.
Lily groaned and rolled over, sunlight piercing her closed eyelids. “Wake up, sleepyhead!” Lily heard Alexis walk over to her bed and lean over her.

“It’s time to get up!” she exclaimed, her hair tickling Lily’s nose.

Lily reluctantly opened her eyes a crack to a smiling Alexis staring down
at her.

“Your hair,” she said sleepily. She blinked a few times, trying to control the dizziness that overwhelmed her.

“Yeah, Payton gave me the charm. She told me it would look nice for the first day of school.” Alexis patted her new curly hair.

“Would you keep it down? There’s forty five minutes ‘til classes, and I fully intend to get more sleep,” said Payton grumpily.

Alexis snorted. “Yeah, get more than enough, and stumble into class ten minutes late.”

Lily swung her legs over the side of the bed, and pushed open the top to her trunk. She fumbled around for the days clothes.

She adjusted her tie, and looked around for her robes. “Do we really have to wear these? Honestly, it’s so hot. I’m perfectly fine with just the sweater and skirt.”

“Only when class is in session. Take it off after class,” Alexis suggested.

Lily sighed and plucked the robes off her bed. “I will,” she grumbled.

She went to stand in front of the mirror in the bathroom and ran a brush through her hair, examining it. Her family liked to debate what shade of red it was.

It definitely wasn’t Weasley hair. Weasley hair was flaming bright and had a more orange tint to it. It was the red Uncle Ron and her mum had.

Her dark red hair was either Evans hair, or Prewett hair. Lily liked to think it was Evans hair ; it gave her more of a connection to the grandmother she never knew.

Alexis made her way over to Payton’s bed, who was currently buried deep under the covers. “Payton get UP! We only have forty minutes!”

“Go on, then. I’ll meet you there,” came the muffled reply. Alexis shook her head, and together, she and Lily walked out the door and down the stairs to the common room.

Max and Hugo were leaning against the sofa. Hugo said something, and Max laughed. Lily’s stomach did a flip-flop. Confused, she pushed the feeling away.

Hugo scanned the room quickly with his eyes.

“Looking for someone?” Lily asked Hugo.

He glared at her. “No one, thanks.”

Lily felt a tiny pang in her stomach. They pair of them rarely got annoyed with each other.

Keeping silent all the way to the Great Hall, Lily walked with three of her friends to start the new school year.




Lily walked through the portrait hole, dumping her books on the round wooden table her friends were sitting at.

“The first day back, and I already have an Arithmancy essay, a Transfiguration essay, and Neville’s going to give us a Herbology quiz next week.” Lily threw herself down in an empty chair.

“I know! It’s just cruelty,” said Payton. “Well, I’m off!”

“Where are you going? It’s eight o’clock!” Hugo said, checking his watch.

Payton sighed. “Detention. Professor Longbottom is so high strung, I was only ten minutes late this morning!” Payton flicked her hair over her shoulder.

“Only,” Alexis smirked, as she checked their timetable for first term. “We have double Care of Magical Creatures tomorrow!”

“A pleasure only to you,” said Max dryly.

“Oh, shut up.” Alexis swatted his arm lightly.

By the time all five of them had finished their homework, Alexis insisting on checking hers over a third time, (“Honestly,” said Max) it was ten o’clock.

They were just packing away their stuff in their bags when James wandered over. “Quidditch practice tomorrow night, six o’clock. No complaints.”

“Ah, well, what can you do?” said Max airily. “Moving on, what’s the plan for tonight?”

“What plan? We’re not on break anymore, Max, we have to be in our common rooms by ten,” exclaimed Alexis.

“Yeah, but I think we should wait up for Payton. C’mon, it’ll be fun! We’ll play Exploding Snap or something.”

“Yeah, I’m game. Let’s play,” added Hugo.

The four of them wandered over to the carpet area, and Max began shuffling his deck of cards as they arranged themselves in a circle.

“Okay. Do you want to play Classic version or Patience version?” he asked, laying the cards face down.

“Let’s play Classic tonight,” suggested Lily.

The clock struck eleven, and the four of them were still in the common room, poking cards with their wands, matching pairs.

“Nice, Lily!” said Hugo, bumping her with his shoulder as she got her sixth pair.

High fives were awarded to the winner after each game. Just as they were setting up their seventh, Payton bounced in.

“Yuck, that has got to be the worst detention I’ve ever been too.” Payton said grumpily.

“Yeah, and that’s saying something!” Max said, laughing.

“Ha ha. No, but I’m serious. Longbottom made me clean Myrtle’s bathroom, top to bottom.”

“That’s not so bad, Payton,” said Lily, frowning. She seated herself next to Payton on the scarlet couch, the game discarded on the floor.

“With no wand.”

The group grimaced in sympathy. Lily dragged a nylon-clad foot up onto the couch and tucked it underneath her.

“Anyways, what have you been up to?” asked Payton, changing the subject.

“Just waiting for you,” said Alexis. “And I don’t know about you guys, but I’m exhausted.”

The five of them agreed readily, so they bid each other good night and headed up the stairs to bed.




The first week of school went by fairly quickly, in Lily’s opinion.

On Saturday came the wettest, grayest day of them entire week. Alexis stood at the far window at five-thirty, dressed in her Quidditch things. “Just our luck, it rains on a practice night,” she said.

“Oh, well. Nothing we can do about it now, I suppose,” said Hugo, coming down with his broomstick. “Best be get going.”

The three of the trudged out of the warm and comfortable common room, and walked onto the pitch.




Lily shook her sopping wet hair out of her eyes. “Hurry up, Lily!” Hugo said impatiently.

She groaned, and carefully stepped towards him. “I’m so sore,” she said.

“Me too. C’mon, Alexis is already up at the castle, and I’m dying for a shower.”

Lily groaned and continued walking at the pace of a turtle. “Trust my brother to book the Quidditch pitch on the wettest, darkest day of the year,” said Lily.

“No, the wettest day of the year was sometime in January,” said Hugo, smirking.

“Don’t be such a tease, Hugo,” grumped Lily.

“Well, aren’t you just a little ray of sunshine today, eh?” Hugo shook his curls out of his eyes, spraying Lily with more water.

“Sorry. I know I’m irritable.” She pushed him a little with her shoulder, to let him know she was truly sorry.

“S’okay. Hey, after you shower, come downstairs. I bet one Galleon I’ll win a game of chess against you!” said Hugo brightly.

“Fine, but if I win, I don’t want a Galleon. Let’s see, here. You have to buy me a Colour-Changing Quill. I’ve always wanted on of those, but never really ever thought it was worth the money.” Lily tucked a wine red strand of hair behind her ear.

“Those are five Galleons!”

“I know.”

“Always the negotiator. You’re on.”

Lily laughed, then her smile turned into a frown. “A second year came up to me the other day, and tried to be best friends with me. She carried my books to class, and gave me a quill.”

To any normal person, this celebrity treatment would have been welcomed. But to Lily, Hugo, Rose, Albus and James, it was just tiresome and bothersome.

“Hey, that position’s already filled!” Hugo joked.

“I never said it was up for grabs. I’m just saying, this kid’s only twelve, and she has the guts to come up to me, and suck up to me. “

“The price of fame, eh?” Hugo shook his head slowly.

“I never asked for this fame. It’s so embarrassing sometimes! But I can’t tell Dad, because I know he hates it too!” Lily sighed.

“You’re going to have to live with it all your life, so my advice is to just ignore it. Tune it out,” said Hugo.

“You’re better at that than I am,” said Lily as they reached the Castle steps.

“Don’t dwell on it, Lily. It’s only going to make things worse,” said Hugo. “Hey, why don’t we go ask Rose and Al if they can sneak into the kitchens and get us some hot chocolate?”

“James said he was bringing some up after. I think Al lent him the Cloak after practice.”

“No one saw though, right?” “asked Hugo worriedly.

“Nah, everyone still thinks that he’s really good at avoiding teachers.” Lily laughed.

“Even Alexis? She’s pretty smart.”

“Even Alexis.”




Lily showered quickly and put on pajama pants and an old Quidditch practice sweater.

She walked downstairs, and into the cozy common room. She was glad that she had done all her homework, and wasn’t lying on the carpet in front of the fire like Payton, finishing it off.

Lily sank down onto the couch beside Hugo, happily accepting her hot cocoa.

“That had to be one of the most coldest Quidditch practices I have ever been to in my life,” said Alexis, filling the empty spot beside Lily. “I’m still freezing.”

Lily laughed. “I know, but this hot cocoa is warming me up. Go get some.”

Alexis sighed. “I’ve already had mine.”

Payton rolled off of her stomach, and pushed her homework away. Grabbing the red blanket from off the armrest, she wrapped it around her.

“Has anyone seen Max?” she asked.

“He’s over there, with Adrienne, Scott, Lea and Joel,” said Lily, pointing.


Adrienne and Lea were the two other Gryffindor fourth year girl who shared Lily, Payton and Alexis’ dorm. Scott and Joel were the two boys who shared with Hugo and Max.

“I’ll be right back,” said Hugo. He stood up and walked over to where Max and the others were chatting.

“Well, it looks like it’s just us girls then,” said Alexis. She took it upon herself to start braiding Lily’s hair.

Payton pulled a bottle of bright pink nail varnish out of her bag, and began stroking her nails with the brush.

“I’d almost forgotten what it felt like not to have boys around all the time,” Lily joked.

“Yeah, me too,” said Payton.

Alexis added her input. “I don’t really have a lot of cousins, so any company’s fine with me,” said the only child.

“Oh, so if Lily and I were replaced by Slytherins, you would be fine with that?” Payton asked, looking a little insulted.

“No! I’m just saying I don’t have a lot of company at home. But don’t worry, you guys are the best friends ever,” replied Alexis with a smile.

“Nice to know I’m appreciated,” said Lily dryly.

“Okay, so, guess who’s in my Arithmancy class?” Payton asked excitedly.

The two girls gave Payton a quizzical look.

“Mark Rueben.”

“You mean the Ravenclaw? The one you’ve been crushing on since first year?” mocked Alexis.

“Of course I mean the Ravenclaw!” She sighed happily.

Alexis laughed. “That’s great, Payton. You should talk to him.”

“I will. My Arithmancy class is on Monday. I’m really excited!”
“What about you two? Got your sights set on a Hogwarts hottie?” Payton asked mischievously.

Alexis threw her a pillow, holding Lily’s plait securely in her hand. “You’re crazy!”

“What? It’s just a question!”

Alexis smiled. “I know, but the answer to your question is no, not yet.”

“What about you, Lily?” asked Payton.

“No, of course not,” Lily answered quickly. The minute the words were out of her mouth, however, did Max’s face pop into her mind.

Not wanting to discuss this with her girlfriends, she kept silent, praying the subject would dissolve. She didn’t want to think about how Payton would react if she knew.

Only when Payton’s nails were drying, and Lily’s plait was long finished, did the pair of boys come back.

“Share some blanket with me, little sister,” said Max, pulling the half the blanket off of Payton and across his own lap.

Hugo flopped down on the armchair next to Lily. “What’s going on in this end of town?” .

“Oh, nothing, just thinking about how great my win in Wizards chess would have been,” came the witty reply.

“Oh, gosh, I forgot, didn’t I?” Hugo said apologetically.

“Yeah, you did.”

“I’m really sorry, Lily. I’ll make it up to you, I promise,” he said sincerely.

Lily twirled the ends of her plait, thinking of all the possible ways he could make it up to her.

She found none.
End Notes:
Thank you for reading! Reviews are my motivation and are greatly appreciated!!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=86943