Seventh-Year: The Next Generation by Thani Mag
Summary: The first six years at Hogwarts have gone relatively smoothly for Scorpius and Albus. But now, going into their seventh and final year, these two best friends will get caught up in things way over their heads.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 6555 Read: 4064 Published: 09/30/10 Updated: 11/21/10

1. Scorpius's Idea of Fun by Thani Mag

2. Of Death Threats and Disturbing Kisses by Thani Mag

Scorpius's Idea of Fun by Thani Mag
Chapter 1: Scorpius's Idea of Fun

"Look, Hugo has a new girlfriend."

"She's a tart, he'll be through with her by the end of next week."

"Why do you say she's a tart?"

"Just look at the way she let's him kiss her in public. Definitely a tart. No decent girl would allow that."

"I like tarts."

"What?"

"They're way better than scones," said Scorpius. A look of wistfulness adorned his face. Albus just looked at him with wry amusement.

It was loud, crowded, and rather rowdy in the Gryffindor common room. The fire was high in the grate, every little bit of space was crammed with people standing elbow-to-elbow, and the air was smoky from all the Filibuster Fireworks that were being set off in celebration.

The first Quidditch game of the season had been a blow out. Albus and Scorpius had proven that they were still the dynamic duo this year that they had been throughout their past six years at Hogwarts.

With Albus as Seeker, and Scorpius as one of the three Chasers, the Gryffindor Quidditch team was nearly impossible to defeat. Scorpius's favored position was Seeker, but as everyone had expected, Albus turned out to be a prodigy at that particular post.

Two white arms slid around Scorpius's shoulders from behind, but he didn't even flinch in surprise.

"Are you calling me a tart, or just saying that I don't taste very good?" asked Rose in a singsong voice, as she planted a soft kiss on Scorpius's cheek.

"It's not polite to eavesdrop on other people's conversations, Rose. But no. See, I happened to get the best of both worlds. You taste even better than a tart, but in every other regard you don't share any similarities with a one."

Rose laughed gently, as she rested her chin lightly on Scorpius's shoulder.

"Hey, Rose," said Albus, amused.

"Hallo, cousin. Good game today," she said, a twinkle in her eye.

"Why, thank you," said Albus, pulling his feet up and laying them on the low coffee table in front of his seat.

Albus and Scorpius were sitting side-by-side on one of the large red couches, enjoying basking in their victory. Scorpius was especially loving it. He always did.

"Rose, your brother is getting rather carried away over there..." said Albus, putting his hands beneath his head and resting back.

"Yes, I can't say I approve, but he won't listen to me. I didn't even bother butting in and trying to put a stop to it," said Rose, standing up straight and looking over to where Hugo was enjoying some post-victory snogging.

"That girl either doesn't know very much about Quidditch, or just wanted an excuse to kiss Hugo, and didn't actually care what happened in the game," said Scorpius, disdainfully watching Hugo and the girl in question.

"Oh? Why's that?" asked Rose.

"Because, if she knew anything about Quidditch she would have realized that Hugo only scored once, but I scored five times. Thus, she should be over here snogging me," said Scorpius, with a facetious grin up at Rose.

Rose slapped him lightly on the top of the head. "But that's my job."

"I was hoping you would say that," said Scorpius, his grin growing wider. He leaned his head back farther, and puckered up his lips playfully, waiting to be kissed.

"Ah, but see, you just got finished talking about how I'm not a tart." The corner of Rose's mouth twitched into a half-smile nonetheless.

Scorpius sighed loudly and gave Albus a dramatic, woebegone look. "You have to give me credit for trying."

Albus chuckled softly.

"Anyways, I'm going to head to the library. We have that Herbology essay due on Monday, and I want to get started on it. Besides, it's way to smoky in here," said Rose, crinkling her nose in distaste as some whooping first-years set off a couple more fireworks.

"Oh, come on Rose. It's Saturday night, and the whole house is partying. Why would you go lock yourself up, alone in the library? You know you could easily finish that essay tomorrow in no time at all." Scorpius sounded as if he knew his cause was already lost.

Rose raised her eyebrows at Scorpius. "You know I like to get things done well ahead of time. Besides, I don't really care for wild parties. The noise, chaos, and rambunctiousness drives me crazy."

Scorpius sighed loudly again, showing his obvious displeasure.

Rose smiled down at him. "You'll be alright, you have Albus to entertain you."

"Yeah, except for Albus would lose a battle of wits with a monkey. Make that a stuffed monkey. Just in case you're not catching my drift, that means he's not able to entertain me," Scorpius complained.

"I do too have wit, and I'm hilariously funny," said Albus indignantly. He crossed his arms across his chest.

"You couldn't make a hyper adolescent crack a laugh."

"I could too, I have plenty of good jokes," said Albus, glaring at Scorpius.

"The only good joke you ever made was being born," said Scorpius complacently.

Rose rolled her eyes, and started to head for the portrait hole, planning to leave Scorpius and Albus to their bantering.

"Trying to slip away without me noticing?" asked Scorpius in annoyance. "You know that will never work. I see everything, and I'm always specially tuned to where you are."

Rose looked back over her shoulder. "I knew it wouldn't work, but I wasn't trying to get away without you observing me. I was just making a definite step in the direction of getting out of here."

"Without saying goodbye?" Scorpius put on a sad face. "You hurt me deeply, darling. It's like a taste of poison, like a blade to my heaving bosom." He acted out thrusting an invisible dagger into his heart.

"Goodbye, sugar." Rose blew a kiss at him over her shoulder and laughed, before turning and exiting the common room.

"Some little twerps get full-out snogging sessions, without even committing themselves." Scorpius waved a hand in Hugo's general direction. "I have an actual girlfriend, and what do I get? Air kisses," Scorpius grumbled to Albus.

Albus just chuckled once more.

"This is no laughing matter, Albus," said Scorpius in an injured tone. "You're supposed to comfort me, not make me feel worse by laughing at the dark agony of my soul."

"What can I say? I've never been the empathetic type, or sympathetic either for that matter." said Albus leaning forwards to grab a Pumpkin Pasty from the tray on the coffee table.

"What's the difference between those two again? I can never remember..." Scorpius looked thoughtful. After a moment of one of his rare silences: "Stupid English language, makes no sense at all I tell you. Arabic, now there is a good, solid, understandable language." Scorpius looked quite satisfied as he put forth this last opinion.

Albus choked slightly on his bite of pasty. "Do you even know anything about Arabic?" he asked once he had recovered himself.

"No, but that is an unimportant detail," said Scorpius, with impatience. "You know, I met an Arab once. Fellow had a big, black beard. He looked kind of angry, but I couldn't understand anything he was saying." Scorpius looked thoughtful once more. "Maybe that's why he was so angry, because no one could understand him. Though, that's hardly enough reason to be so angry."

Albus shook his head in disbelief. "Where did you see this Arab?"

"Gringotts."

"And wouldn't you be rather upset if you couldn't understand anything anybody around you was saying? I think it would feel rather like suffocating."

"Suffocating? What are you talking about? But no, I wouldn't mind not being able to communicate with anyone. You'd be surprised what waving a really big stick at someone can do. Everyone understands what a whop with a piece of wood means."

Albus decided not to make a reply to this comment, and instead grabbed another treat from the coffee table. As he sat back he had to duck quickly as a Fanged Frisbee went soaring past where his head would have been.

"Hey, watch it!" he yelled at the third-year who had thrown it.

"Sorry, sorry Albus!" cried the poor boy, who looked quite distressed at having upset the captain of the Quidditch team.

"It's no trouble, just take more care in the future," grumbled Albus.

However, the third-year's conscience was not set at ease. He quickly rushed to Albus's side. "What can I do to make it up to you, Albus?" he asked anxiously.

"Nothing, nothing, it's okay, really, er...?"

The kid's face split into a grin. "Creevey, Colin Creevey Jr. Though my dad's name is Dennis. Colin was my uncle he was."

"Figures," muttered Albus under his breath.

"Do you want me to polish your broom or something, Albus?" Colin's forehead was creased with worry.

"No Colin, it's fine, just go enjoy the rest of the party."

"But-"

"Stop annoying him kid. Beat it, or I'll force feed you Puking Pastilles for the rest of the month!" barked Scorpius.

Colin's face paled visibly, and then he turned and fled.

Albus sighed, as Scorpius grinned at Colin's fleeing back. "You didn't have to do that, the bloke just wanted to make up for accidentally chucking that Frisbee at me."

"He was just brown-nosing, besides, he needs to learn that kissing the ground people walk on is not how you get anywhere in life."

"Still, he didn't need to be dealt with that harshly."

"Oh come on, Albus, he'll get over it," said Scorpius, annoyed at Albus not being more grateful for his disposing of Colin.

Just then, Hugo threw himself into the armchair across from them. His red hair was in disarray, and his cheeks were flushed. He grinned at them. "Hiya Scorpius, Albus."

"'Lo Hugo," said Albus, looking with disapproval at Hugo's disheveled Quidditch robes. "Been enjoying yourself, have you?"

"You could say that." Hugo's grin grew even wider -if that was possible. He wasn't embarrassed at all.

"Good work, Hugo," said Scorpius, a twinkle in his eye.

Hugo chuckled. "Thanks, Scorpius."

"Scorpius, don't encourage him please," complained Albus.

"Oh, but see, he's not my relative to be worrying about." Scorpius smirked over at Albus.

"You always have to make my life more difficult, don't you?" demanded Albus.

"Oh yes, it's so much fun to get you worked up."

"I do not get worked up," said Albus, looking pointedly away.

"And you never deny anything."

"Nope, not ever."

"Of course."

"Yes."

Scorpius's eyes were sparkling with mirth, as he grinned over at Hugo, who returned a grin just as large.

Hugo reached for a glass of cold pumpkin juice. "Is it just me, or is it quite hot in here?" He tugged at the neck of his robes.

Scorpius laughed. "It is a little warm in here, I'll admit. But I doubt that really has anything to do with why you're overheated."

"I guess that's true," said Hugo, smiling to himself.

Albus turned and glared at his cousin.

"Relax Albus, you need to learn how to enjoy yourself more," said Scorpius stretching out his legs, and leaning back further into the cushions.

"Just because I actually try to be responsible, doesn't mean I don't know how to have a good time," Albus muttered.

Scorpius shook his head. "You're always as stiff as a board, Albus. Maybe you need to follow Hugo's lead and get a good snogging session. That would be sure to cheer you up. Don't worry, I'm sure there's at least a couple of girls around here who wouldn't mind kissing a Quidditch captain and hero, even if he is a boring old miser like you." Scorpius and Hugo were grinning like mad at each other once more.

"I'm not boring."

"Albus, you wouldn't know fun if it was holding onto your hair and screaming in your face: 'fun has struck again!'"

Albus sighed in defeat. "Okay Scorpius, I know what's coming. What is it you want to do now?"

Scorpius smiled from ear to ear. "Get your broom and invisibility cloak, and come with me."

"Can I come?" asked Hugo, eagerly jumping to his feet.

"No!" said both the older boys immediately.

"Fine," sulked Hugo, going off to find some of his other friends.

***

"No way. You've got to be kidding me, Scorpius." Albus was standing at the edge of the Astronomy Tower, and was staring over the side of the parapet. The drop was sheer and long; the ground could barely be seen hundreds of feet below them.

Once they had grabbed their brooms, the two boys had snuck past the revelers and out of the common room while beneath the invisibility cloak. They had slunk through the abandoned and dark corridors, creeping along like criminals in the night.

When they had reached the Astronomy Tower, Scorpius had dumped the cloak unceremoniously on the floor, and immediately rushed over to the wall.

Albus, after picking up his beloved cloak that had once belonged to his grandfather, had gone over and stood next to Scorpius, peering over the edge.

"Do you want to get us killed?" Albus asked in disbelief.

"Oh come on Albus, now this is going to be fun."

"It doesn't fit my idea of fun if you end up as dog food, splattered in a ten foot radius. And I don't think the school would appreciate us redecorating for them either." Albus was still gazing down into the darkness, hoping against hope that Scorpius would give up on his crazy idea.

"Albus, trust me, when are my plans ever not safe?"

"Always." Albus pointed out.

"Okay, that's true. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to use that argument," said Scorpius placidly. "Anyways, when are my ideas not fun?"

"I guess they might be considered fun if you think of near-death experiences that way," muttered Albus to himself.

"Come on Albus, it's time to start."

Albus looked up now, hearing Scorpius's voice from a different position. "What are you doing? Get down from there you idiot!" he yelled.

Scorpius was now standing up on the parapet, his broom in one hand.

"Relax Albus." The half-full moon's light shown off of Scorpius's blonde-white hair, bleaching it to silver. His face was cast in shadow, so Albus couldn't make out Scorpius's expression clearly, but he thought the other boy looked rather exasperated. "You know we're both good enough fliers to pull this off. Neither of us will get hurt in the slightest."

"What exactly is it you plan on doing, anyways?" grumbled Albus grudgingly.

Scorpius smiled in the partial darkness, knowing he had won. "We jump," he said simply, indicating the open space beside the tower.

Albus clambered onto the parapet and stood beside Scorpius, maintaining his balance by stretching out his arms in both directions. He had his broom ready in one hand. "We just jump? And what, fall to our deaths?" asked Albus, keeping his eyes firmly fixed on Scorpius's face and trying not to look at the long drop right next to him.

"Try not to be thick on purpose, Albus," complained Scorpius. "That's where our brooms come in handy." Scorpius waved his broom in Albus's face. Scorpius, unlike Albus, looked like he was completely at ease standing just inches from possible death.

"Hey, stop that!" said Albus in annoyance, but unable to do anything because he was still using both his arms to try and keep his balance. "Why couldn't we just stay with the party? I thought you liked being the center of those type of things," complained Albus.

Scorpius shook his head. "Parties are good and all for awhile, but they get dull fast. This is going to be a lot more exciting." He smiled broadly.

Albus groaned. "Is there anything I can say or do to make you change your mind?"

"Nope." Scorpius grinned. "Goodbye, Albus."

Albus's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Well, if I go first, there's no guarantee you'll follow."

Albus's eyes widened in surprise. "You wouldn't."

Scorpius only grinned wider in response.

Albus turned to jump down from the danger of the parapet, but he was too late. Stretching out his broom, Scorpius rammed the end of it into Albus's side.

Albus's eyes went wide in horror, as he swayed back and lost his balance, tumbling over the edge of the parapet.

"Don't steal all the fun, Albus!" laughed Scorpius, throwing himself off the top of the low wall after his friend.

The two teenagers tumbled towards the ground. The air tore at the scarlet Quidditch robes they still wore. The wind whipped through their hair.

Scorpius whooped with delight as he fell. Albus yelled in mixed terror and surprise.

Scorpius stretched his limbs out in all directions, enjoying the thrill of the fall. Albus struggled with his broom, attempting to get astride it.

Finally, Albus managed to gain control of his broom. He was just fifty feet from the ground when he pulled to an abrupt stop, breathing heavily. "I swear, one day Scorpius is going to be the death of me," he muttered to himself, looking down for Scorpius.

Scorpius was still zipping towards the grass at the foot of the tower, not looking like he was anywhere close to stopping.

"Does that idiot have a death wish?" hissed Albus angrily.

Just a few feet from what would have been a nasty collision, Scorpius whipped his broom between his legs, pulling up sharply and whipping along just inches from the top of the blades of grass.

Reluctantly, Albus allowed half a smile. "A feat that would have made Wronski himself proud."

Scorpius made a quick turn, and came soaring back, still close to the floor. Just as he came to where the wall entered the earth, he pulled upwards, soaring parallel to, and just barely off of the stone tower. Scorpius flew past Albus so fast on his way up the Astronomy Tower that Albus was left spinning in a circle from the wind blast that hit him.

Albus had to clutch at his broom to make sure he didn't fall off. Scorpius looked back over his shoulder at him, and laughed.

"Why you-" Albus drowned out his own voice as he shot after Scorpius.

The two of them collapsed over the top of the parapet and onto the cold stone tiles.

Scorpius threw his head back and laughed.

Albus's chest was heaving up and down. "You- are- inconceivable!" he gasped between breaths.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Say what you like Albus, you can't deny, that was fun." Scorpius's usually blue eyes were silver in the moonlight. They shone with exhilaration.

"Well... maybe a little," Albus replied grudgingly.

"Round two?" Scorpius asked with enthusiasm.

Albus sighed. "Okay, but if you knock me off this time, it won't be pretty for you."

Both boys got to their feet simultaneously.

With a cry of delight, Scorpius ran and threw himself off the tower.

Albus sighed once more, and followed it up with a smile. It was impossible for him to not break down and have a good time with Scorpius.

Breaking into a sprint, Albus leaped over the parapet. Diving towards the ground, he let go of his worries. He let himself be immersed in the moment.
End Notes:
This is my opening chapter for this new fic. I hope you enjoy, and that you don't give up on it yet if it didn't capture you right away! Please review and tell me your thoughts. Criticism is welcomed.
Of Death Threats and Disturbing Kisses by Thani Mag
Author's Notes:
Sorry this took so long to get up. Honestly, I kind of forgot I had my fanfiction on this site also.
Chapter 2: Of Death Threats and Disturbing Kisses

He forced himself to drag his eyelids open. It was like opening heavy shutters reluctantly on a cold winter's day. Pulling himself into a sitting position, he pulled back the curtains of his four-poster. Immediately he shut his eyes again, as the sun burned his dilated pupils.

Swinging his legs over the side of his bed, he slowly opened his eyes once more. This time he gave them ample opportunity to adjust.

He was alone, the room was void of any other living form. The scarlet sheets of the other beds were crumpled messes on their respective four-posters. Only one four-poster had been carefully made. He smiled to himself. Albus.

The bright morning sunlight poured through the windows, leaving burning pools of liquid topaz on the floor. He could hear birds singing sweetly from somewhere outside.

Rising to his feet, he dressed quickly and left the dormitory, making his way to breakfast.

Upon arriving in the Great Hall, he threw himself into a seat, grabbed a piece of toast, and began to butter it.

Albus watched him from across the table. "Morning, sleeping beauty."

"Where's Rose?" Scorpius reached for the jam.

"She was only down here for a few minutes, said something about the library and excused herself pretty quick."

"What?" Scorpius stopped in the middle of preparing his breakfast. "She can't be planning on spending all day in there, can she?"

Albus shrugged. "Well, she is Rose."

"But it's such a beautiful day outside! It would be a travesty to spend all that time with your nose in a moldy book."

"Maybe she went right away, so that she could finish up whatever she was doing before you got up?" Albus pointed out.

Scorpius thought about it. "Maybe... but you never know with her." He bit off a chunk of his toast.

Albus looked back down at the copy of The Daily Prophet that was spread in front of him.

"Anything interesting?" asked Scorpius around his food.

"Not unless you're interested in Zacharias Smith's love affair with Hannah Boot."

Scorpius snorted. "You'd think that every once and awhile that old hag Rita Skeeter would write something people actually want to read about."

"You'd think so, but she's always been more interested in the latest love scam. I always wonder why The Prophet keeps her. I've always thought she would be more at home with Teen Witch Weekly, or some other trashy magazine."

Scorpius pasted an expression of injured outrage onto his face. "Hey, I happen to own every issue of that magazine. I think it makes quite good reading material."

Albus rolled his eyes. "Just because you make the cover every once in awhile, shockingly, does not make it worthwhile, Scorpius."

"You're just jealous they've never asked you to come in for one of their photo-shoots."

"Yes, Scorpius, I'm jealous that I don't get to walk around posing in my underwear, so that a bunch of giggling teen girls can goggle at my sexy body."

"For that to happen, Albus, you would have to have a sexy body," said Scorpius, with a quirk of his eyebrow.

"Merlin, you can be frustrating!"

"Wouldn't you love to be me?" said Scorpius, leaning back and striking a pose. "I would brush back my flowing locks for a dramatic effect, but I have pumpkin juice in one hand and toast in the other. It would be quite messy."

"What are you doing, Malfoy?" It was Elsa Baddock, a Ravenclaw seventh-year. She had stopped in the act of passing by. She was now looking curiously out at Scorpius from her long, flowing red-gold hair.

"Why, just letting you have a chance to feed your eyes on my gorgeous figure, darling," said Scorpius with a smile.

Elsa's eyes narrowed. "You do have some decent looks Malfoy, I'll give you that, though you flaunt them a bit much."

"Just decent?" asked Scorpius in an injured tone.

"Well, maybe better than decent, but don't let your head get so big you can't get it out of bed in the morning."

"Don't worry, I can handle my ego like Inigo Montoya handles a sword."

Elsa laughed; Albus found the sound kind of disturbing, but he couldn't have said why.

"If Rose ever loses interest in you, Malfoy, just let me know," she said coyly, with a sly smile. And with that, she turned around and flounced off, her long red hair swishing back and forth behind her.

"Watch it, Scorpius," warned Albus.

Scorpius laughed. "Don't worry Albus, this heart of mine belongs to one girl only. Speaking of that girl, I'm going to go get her. I don't care if I have to drag her out of this castle, I'll get her out of that infernal library, somehow."

"Good luck with that. Though, if anyone could do it, it would be you."

"I'm glad to see you have faith in me, Albus."

"What can I say? After six full near-death-experiences-ridden years, I've come to see what you're capable of when you set your mind to something."

"Are you going to come help me get her?"

"Nah, I've got something else to do. Besides, I wouldn't want to intrude on you two star-crossed lovers."

Scorpius stuck out his tongue at the other boy, before getting to his feet and leaving.

Albus watched his friend go, desperately wishing he could have his support in what he was about to do.

Sighing, Albus dumped the newspaper onto the table before exiting the Great Hall himself.

***

Albus dispiritedly made his way to the fourth floor corridor. Looking around to make sure he was alone, he pulled back the portrait of the large black bear. Stepping out onto the stone tiles that were revealed beyond, he looked around.

He was on a narrow stone walkway that went along the outside of the castle. It was high up in the air, and hugged the wall as it ran along it, twisting out of sight around the curve of the school. A low crenelated parapet, that hopefully would keep one from falling off, bordered the walkway.

Albus started along the path, trying to enjoy the large expanse of blue sky above him, and the sunny grounds a ways below him. He himself was in the shade, the walkway running along the west wall of the castle, and it still being slightly before noon.

It had only been a couple of weeks since he had gotten the first letter. It had been a parchment rolled up and tied with a silver and green ribbon. At first glance, he had assumed it was a love note from some delusional girl -boy, had he been wrong.

The parchment had contained a map to this concealed path, and an elegant script that had directed him to come alone, and at midnight.

This, of course, had in Albus's mind confirmed that it was just some love-sick teen. It wouldn't have been the first one to come his way. Knowing that Scorpius would just make a big joke out of the whole thing, Albus hadn't told his best friend. But as midnight had drawn closer, something in Albus's gut had directed him to go, and go he had.

Albus sighed. How he wished hadn't.

Turning around the last bend, he finally arrived at the tower. It was nestled into the castle just-so, so that the only way to notice it would be if you were flying, and accidentally stumbled right upon it. There was no way you could find it if you didn't know it was there.

She was waiting for him. Her wavy, raven-black curls cascaded like a waterfall of darkness around her pale face. They pooled on her shoulders, shining even though she was in the shade.

"You're a little late, Albus," she said gently, her ruby-red lips pursing as she stared at him.

"Well, don't be offended if I tell you that I hardly look forward to our meetings," he said tightly.

"Oh? But don't you look forward to seeing me?" She walked up to him and traced her finger along his chest as she strode around him.

Albus shuddered violently. He snatched her hand and tossed it away from him. "Don't touch me. There's only so much I'll put up with," he hissed.

She stuck out her lower lip, pouty. "I thought you liked me?"

"Then only thing I like less than you is cancer."

She laughed, it was like honey pouring over hidden shards of ice. "But you think I'm beautiful, don't you?"

Albus sighed, exasperated. "I don't suppose you'd believe me if I said no?"

Her dark eyes sparkled. "Nope."

"Then why do you ask me?" he asked between gritted teeth.

"I like playing with you."

Albus rolled his eyes. "Could we please get on with this? Why did you call me here?"

"You're no fun," she pouted again.

"That's what I hear," muttered Albus to himself.

She walked over, and perched herself on the top of the parapet. Her body faced toward him, but she looked over her shoulder and out across the grounds.

Albus resisted the urge to push her off. He wasn't one for murder -not yet anyways. But if he had to take much more of this...

"Did you find out when the Ministry Officials' meeting is?" she asked, still not looking at him.

"Yes."

"Well? When is it?"

"Two weeks from today," he said coldly.

"And all the Aurors have to go to this particular one, correct?"

"Yes."

"Are you positive of that?" she asked harshly, now looking at him.

"That's what Scorpius's dad says, and he should know, being an Auror," he said angrily.

"Good," she said, suddenly smug.

"You won't ever tell him, as long as I help you, right?" asked Albus, his eyes flashing. She nodded quietly. "You swear it?"

"I already did," she snapped.

"If you ever, ever, break that promise, I tell you, I will find you, no matter where you are, and I will kill you."

She giggled. "Albus, you simply must make death threats more often. You can't take them seriously at all, and that makes them quite entertaining. You should get Scorpius to create one for you, I'm sure he could come up with something quite a bit more colorful."

"Yes, I'm sure," said Albus quietly. "But remember that, if you ever plan on telling him, I will find you."

She sighed dramatically now. "Yes, Albus, I know." She jumped lightly down from her perch.

"Be ready for the next time I call you." She walked up to him, placing her cool hand on his cheek -half-way cupping his face.

Albus closed his eyes, trying to ignore her close proximity.

"Hold up your end of the bargain, and he'll never need to know."

And then it was over, her hand was gone, and she was walking down the walkway that was behind him, striding away from him. Slowly, he opened his eyes.

"Goodbye, Albus."

"Don't call me that," he growled.

He didn't turn around, but when he heard her voice, he could tell she had stopped walking.

"Oh? It's your name isn't it? What should I call you?" she demanded.

"Anything, as long as it isn't so informal, so... personal," he ground out.

Her laugh came trailing over to him as she started walking again -it was followed by her voice. "You really shouldn't let me know any of your pet peeves, Albus, because I'll just use them all the more against you."

When her footsteps finally died away, Albus released a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. His upright shoulders sagged, and he walked over to the parapet and leaned heavily on it.

He could see the lake a good distance away. The sun shone on the surface, turning the water to a metallic blue that acted like a mirror. He could vaguely see a couple of figures swimming in the shallows, enjoying the lovely day.

Sighing, he put his head into his hands.

"Albus, what have you gotten yourself into?"

***

Scorpius blinked, and peered around the library. Here and there, students were poring over textbooks, studying or completing homework. Madam Flora, the librarian, stalked here and there, looking for troublemakers or disturbers of the peace.

Scorpius set off into the rows of bookshelves, looking for his girlfriend. He personally detested the library. Not because it was the home of so much books, but because it was so closed up, so contained. It made him feel like he couldn't breath.

He could never understand how so many people were working away on a Sunday morning, when it was so amazingly beautiful outside. Then again, he was a notorious procrastinator, and never did anything more than the night before it was due.

Scorpius's gaze wandered, searching. He fought the urge to laugh when he caught sight of a jumpy looking second-year, who was picking his nose as soon as he thought no one was looking.

He stopped and looked down when his foot accidentally hit something. An old paperback book lay at his feet. Stooping, he scooped it off the floor and read the title.

It turned out to be a play. "Twelfth Night?" Scorpius asked of the air. "A story full of loves that were never meant to be..." he said softly to himself, staring at the cover. He knew the tale well, his mother having insisted that he knew something of the Muggle world. His dad had not liked the idea, but his mother had put her foot down. His education of the other world that ran along side the wizarding one turned out to mainly consist of literature that his mother was infatuated with, rather than any information that was actually that useful.

Scorpius had always wondered why the current Headmistress had expanded the library to hold so many Muggle texts. It struck him as being rather wasteful, because most of the students only read their school material. And even if they did read something just for enjoyment, it was unlikely to be something Muggle.

Without thinking, Scorpius stuffed the small book into one of his robe pockets, and continued his search for Rose. Finally, he spied her.

She was sitting back in a corner, at a table squashed between two towering bookshelves. Her head was bent over an immense tome of a book, that was open in front of her.

The sun sliced through the window behind her. It turned her bushy, brown hair into a burning fire that radiated light.

Her face was cast in shadow, but Scorpius could still make out the features he knew so well. The soft hazel eyes. The smooth curve of her chin. Her rosy cheeks that matched her name. The small, cute nose that he loved so much.

He stood in the darkness of shadows cast by a row of shelves. Watching Rose study was one of his favorite past times. He simply adored the way her eyebrows furrowed when she was thinking hard. The way she gently turned the pages of a book, as if she was handling a priceless jewel.

His memory went back to the first time he had felt a twang of something more than just friendship for her.

It had been back in his third year, when he and Albus had thought it would be cool to go into the Forbidden Forest. They had gone slightly further than they had meant too, and had gotten lost. They had stumbled upon the nest of spiders, that lived deep in the center of the forest. Of course, Scorpius and Albus had turned and run for their lives. Scorpius's foot had caught on the edge of a large tree root, and he had fallen flat on his face. Turning, he had seen a large spider leaping towards him.

And that's when she had appeared, seemingly out of thin air. After protecting Scorpius long enough for him to get back on his feet, she threw each of them one of the three brooms she had brought along, and they had flown out of there immediately.

It was at that moment, when he was laying on the dirt floor of the forest, terrified and out of his wits, that he had felt the first growth of feelings he didn't understand. The fearless confidence and intelligence with which she acted seemed to draw him to her.

He smiled, as he thought about how she had lectured them about breaking school rules, after they had returned to the safety of the castle. And how she had told them that they were stupid, to not think of bringing something like a broom along that would guarantee a safe escape. And -Scorpius grinned widely at this part- how especially furious she had been when she yelled at them for not inviting her along.

Jumping back into the present, he stepped out from the shadows. "Hello there, oh flower of mine."

Rose looked up, startled at first. Slowly her face drew into one of those smiles that knocked the breath out of him. It was one of those smiles he would fly to the moon and back just to see. He would trade every sunlit day just to see her face glow like that all the time.

He walked over to her, and looked down at her. She beamed back up at him.

"What are you doing here? I thought you would be out, enjoying the weather with Albus."

"I've come to be your knight in shining armor, the one that rescues you from the evil tower of despair, a.k.a, this library." He waved his hand in a general gesture, that encompassed the large room.

"I don't know...there's some stuff I need to do, Scorpius..." she said, doubtful.

"Oh come on. It's beautiful outside, Rose. We can take a walk by the lake. Or anything really, I just want to be with you."

"But-"

"Please, for me?" he whispered.

She hesitated. "Okay, if it's what you want."

"You're all that I want." He smiled.

Taking her hand, he pulled her to her feet, and gently kissed her. It was strange. It wasn't their usual shared kiss. There was no warmth exuding from Rose's lips, they weren't as responsive, there wasn't that feeling of sharing a special moment together. It was as if she was reluctant, or as if her mind was elsewhere.

Scorpius pulled back, looking at her curiously.

"Is something wrong?" she asked, clearly confused.

"No, nothing," said Scorpius, his eyes slightly narrowed in calculation. "Let's go."

He turned and started to walk with purpose out of the library, dragging a slightly uncooperative Rose along by the hand.

Scorpius suddenly felt a searing gaze on him that rested between his shoulder blades. It felt like all the loathing and hatred that could ever be possible was burning into his back.

Scorpius turned, looking towards where he felt he was being watched from.

There, sitting at the same table Rose had been just moments before, was a tall, pale boy with carefully combed brown hair.

But as soon as Scorpius turned towards the boy, he could no longer feel the gaze on him at all. Though the boy was watching him with careful dark eyes. The boy's expression was smooth and blank, void of all emotion.

Scorpius's brow furrowed in confusion. He couldn't remember the boy being there a moment before, but there was no way he could have seated himself in the time between when Scorpius and Rose had turned away from it, and now.

Shrugging it off as just a weird experience, Scorpius turned his back on the boy, and began to pull Rose along again.

Long after Scorpius and Rose had left the library, the boy sat at the table. He stared off out the window, his face as blank and smooth as when Scorpius had seen him. But every five minutes or so, an expression would contort his carefully placed mask into an ugly, twisted thing; it would then return to normal a moment later.
End Notes:
Please review, and tell me what you think!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=87068