Out of the Darkness by phoenix_song197
Summary: The battle is over, but Remus and Tonks are trapped in the darkness. Trapped between life and death. Trapped among their memories. Will they find the strength to wake up and find each other or will they be trapped in the darkness forever?
Categories: Remus/Tonks Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 12998 Read: 16305 Published: 03/28/11 Updated: 06/04/11
Story Notes:
Chapter Four is here! Please read and give me your thoughts in a review!

1. Recalling by phoenix_song197

2. Searching by phoenix_song197

3. Remembering by phoenix_song197

4. Seeking by phoenix_song197

5. Waking by phoenix_song197

Recalling by phoenix_song197
Darkness. Nothing but darkness. It was coming. It was quiet and final. "This is it," thought Remus Lupin as the darkness enveloped his mind. "I'm dying." The darkness continued to advance until there was just a pinprick of light in the consuming dark. Remus tried to think, but his mind didn't seem to be able to move faster than a flobberworm. Darkness. Nothing but darkness. Coming; consuming. He didn't want to die. He had so much to live for, but there was no stopping the darkness now. It continued to come.

Remus watched the light. It remained still and far off, but the darkness was approaching it. It was shrinking even as he watched, and Remus knew that when the light flickered out, he would be dead. Smaller and smaller it faded away. Death would come soon. He tried to think of the world he would leave behind and his thoughts fled immediately to his family. He saw them standing there. Dora, with her hair an outrageous shade of pink, was smiling up at him. And Teddy, their baby son, with his tiny hand wrapped around Remus' finger. They were his world. And he would never see them again. He wished that he could tell them he loved them one last time. The light seemed to flicker in the distance. The darkness had nearly destroyed it. It shrunk still smaller and smaller. Remus watched it go and held the picture of his loved ones firmly in his mind. The light was about to give out. It couldn't survive much longer. The darkness was coming faster now. Stealing more of the light with each passing moment. Remus stared hard at the light. The light seemed to stare right back. It was as small as it could get. The next blow from the darkness would finish it off. Now, now he would die. The darkness went charging at the light, and Remus waited for the darkness to consume him fully. The darkness crept even closer. The light winked out…and then it exploded.

Where a moment ago had been only darkness, now there was light. The flickering candle that Remus had been watching seemed to have blown apart. The explosion did not feel like defeat, but more like an attack on the darkness. Colorful swirls of light streaked all around him, and he felt that he would go blind from the brightness of it all. The darkness was in retreat. The roles were reversed, and the light began to swallow it up.

Completely surrounded by the fiery light, Remus stood staring at the sparks and flashes around him. He had no idea what was happening, but he suspected that it was better than the darkness. Maybe he had just been saved from death, or maybe he was really dead. It didn't appear that he got much say in the matter, but if there were a chance that he could live he would fight with all he was to return to his beloved wife and son.

The light now seemed to be circling him. It drifted around him and grew ever closer. On an impulse, Remus reached out and touched the swirling mass of light. The change was instantaneous. Remus felt as though he had just plunged into an icy lake. Now along with the light, images were swirling around him. People and places he recognized spun around him. He saw his parents and family members. He saw the farm he had lived on as a child. The pictures swam around him and the people in them moved about their lives. Remus glanced upwards and found a window into his first year at Hogwarts. He saw himself as an eleven-year-old standing with his three new best friends. All were laughing and smiling. He saw images from all different points in his life; the Order of Phoenix's first meeting, long nights spent in the Shrieking Shack, his year teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts, he even caught a glimpse of the night he became a werewolf at the age of nine. Remus felt like he was in a giant pensieve, watching all of his memories take shape around him. He continued to watch the images swirl around him. He saw old friends and people he knew to be dead. He saw battles that he had fought over the years and enemies that he had killed. Remus looked around at the pictures of his life, and then he saw her. There she was, gazing up at him her brown eyes sparkling. Remus reached out to her and his fingers brushed the swirl of light.

Again there was a change, and Remus felt himself being thrust into the memory. He spiraled down until he felt his feet touch solid ground. He glanced around and recognized the house where he was. Number twelve Grimmauld Place, Sirius Black's house and a meeting place for the Order of the Phoenix. He also recognized the people in the room. One was one of his best friends, Sirius Black; Remus felt the old grief come over him, Sirius would not live a year after this. The only other person in the room was a younger Remus Lupin. It had only been three years ago and Remus guessed that he still looked about the same, though he suspected that he had a little more grey hair now. Remus watched himself and his friend. They were in one of the upper rooms of Grimmauld Place and they were discussing the rebirth of the Order. Remus listened to what they were saying, he remembered the conversation and he also remembered what happened after it.

"We've rounded up all of the old members," Sirius said, "the ones that aren't dead. And we've got some new recruits joining. Maybe this time we can stop him before he's started."

"Who is Mad-Eye bringing? He mentioned having some friends from the Ministry who were interested." It was a surreal experience to hear himself speaking.

"I don't know, but he said that he would bring them in sometime today."

The two men began to walk downstairs and Remus followed his double. About halfway down one of the twisted staircases he heard the sound of the doorknocker rapping hard against the wood. The two men in front of him rushed down the stairs and Remus hurried after them. Sirius surged on ahead to open the door and the memory Remus followed after him at a slower pace. The portrait of Sirius's mother had been awakened by the noise and she began to howl.

"Traitorous son! Werewolf monster! Disgrace upon my house!"

Sirius opened the door and there stood a ferocious looking man with a wooden leg and a swiveling glassy blue eye. Remus frowned. Another man who would later die fighting Voldemort. Mad-Eye Moody's glass eye took in the men in front of him and the screaming portrait as he stepped into the room. He beckoned to the people behind him that had until that time been hidden from Remus's view. He couldn't see them, but he knew who they were. "Hurry up," growled Moody to the people behind him. "Can't stand outside for the Muggle neighbors to gawk at." Sirius stepped out of the way as Moody and his followers came inside. He rushed to cover the portrait of his shrieking mother.

"Filth in my house! Disgrace to the House of Black! Slime and…." Sirius pulled the curtains tightly shut over the picture and Mrs. Black grew silent. Remus stood next to his doppelganger and waited for the others to enter.

After Moody came a tall man with a shaved head and dark skin. He wore elegant purple robes and had a commanding presence. Kingsley Shacklebolt, a great Auror and a good man, Remus knew him well. After their initial meeting they had worked together on many fronts including the last battle Remus could remember, the one at Hogwarts. Remus knew that he had fought and been injured or perhaps killed during the battle, but the details were a little fuzzy. He hoped that Kingsley was all right.

Finally, came the person that Remus had been waiting for. The person whom he had reached through the memory to. Following Kingsley through the door of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place came a young woman with bright pink hair. Her dark eyes were full of excitement as she looked all around her.

Remus tore his gaze from her long enough to take a look at his own face three years ago. He could have laughed at himself. His expression was one of curiosity and his eyes followed her every movement including the one bad step that sent her hurtling into the troll leg umbrella stand that was positioned near the door. The umbrella stand went crashing to the floor and the woman went flying….right towards Remus. He reached toward her before realizing that as merely a bystander he could do nothing. His younger self, though, stepped forward and managed to catch her before she too crashed to the floor. Remus watched as she turned her face up to his double. Her hair slowly changed to a shade of red as though it was blushing, and her dark eyes stared up into his own. Her lips struggled to form words but she finally managed a squeaky, "Hi."

Remus watched himself have the same difficulty speaking. "Are you all right?" When she nodded shakily he continued, "Hi. I'm Remus Lupin."

The woman gazed into his eyes. Remus saw a trace of recognition, but not the usual fear that accompanied this statement. "I'm Tonks," she said quietly. "Sorry. I..uh.. tripped."

"It was a dumb place to put an umbrella stand. But then you met my mother just now. She probably wanted someone to trip over it." Sirius's voice seemed to bring Tonks and the memory Remus back to reality. Remus watched as his double realized that he was still holding Tonks and as they awkwardly nodded and smiled at each other.

Remus watched them and wondered. "Did I know then that I would fall so completely in love with her? Did she know the same about me?" He remembered denying that he loved her and trying to protect her from what he was sure was an awful mistake. Would he ever be able to tell Dora he loved her again? He knew he hadn't done it enough before. What he wouldn't do for another chance.
End Notes:
Please review and tell me what you think.
Searching by phoenix_song197
Author's Notes:
Still trapped in the hall of memories, Remus goes on a journey deep inside himself.
Slowly the scene around him faded into the swirling light. The memory windows surrounded him once more. He saw his wedding day and still more memories of his friends at school. He saw the creation of the Marauder's Map and conversations with Professor Dumbledore, both as a boy and as an adult. He saw himself with Harry Potter, his best friend's son, and the battle at the Ministry the night Sirius died. He turned slowly trying to take it all in.

While looking into one window he saw himself holding his little son. Just like he had done with the memory of Dora he reached out to touch his child. Remus was swept down into the memory into his home just a few months ago. He saw himself sitting on the bed holding his newborn son. The infant's eyes were the same shade of brown as his mother's and at the moment his hair was an auburn color, though it had been black and red and blonde in the day after his birth.

Remus remembered telling the others all about Teddy and then rushing home to be with his family. He remembered being terrified of what his Lycanthropy would mean for his child, and the joy he felt when he held him for the first time. Remus was relieved that in Teddy's first two months there had been nothing remotely wolfish about him. It was still possible that he had inherited Remus's curse, but it was not as likely now.

Remus watched as his double and Dora carried on a conversation about their day old baby, but he wasn't hearing a word they were saying. He just watched, and as he watched he felt tears burning his eyes. He might never see his wife and son again. He might spend eternity watching, but not touching. He would rather have the darkness than the pain.

Remus hoped that the battle of Hogwarts had been won, and that if he could no longer protect his family that they would live in a world without Voldemort to threaten them. The memory Remus and Dora were smiling and talking, and Teddy was gurgling happily between them. Remus reached out to his son. To touch him. But his hand went through the happy picture before him. The light came again, to take him away.

In an instant he was back in the lighted dome. The images beckoned him to come and experience them again, but he didn’t want that pain. He saw Dumbledore's funeral and the thousands of people in attendance. He saw himself as a young child without the burden of being different. He didn't want to see anything else. He didn't want to watch his life; he wanted to live it.

Before Remus could decide what to do, a sensation that he had not experienced in the lighted dome captured him. He felt a sharp tug from behind his navel, the kind of feeling like that of traveling by portkey. He was pulled away from the memories and was spun around and around. Remus found himself in a dark forest surrounded by trees. Before him stood Harry Potter holding a stone of some kind. Remus didn't fully understand, but he imagined that he was not really back. This was no memory of his, but he was not free to join the real world either.

Remus looked around and saw three other figures standing next to him. All seemed to shimmer and glow, not unlike ghosts but not like them either. Remus looked down at his own hands and found that the same was true of him. Harry was the only one who looked normal.

Remus recognized the other figures without any difficulty, but with much confusion. Beside him stood Sirius, and James and Lily Potter, Harry's parents. He had watched Sirius die with his own eyes, and James and Lily had been dead for sixteen years. Perhaps he truly had joined the ranks of the dead. He didn't know how he was here, but he somehow knew that they were here to help Harry and that when their task was done, they would return to their separate worlds. Harry needed their strength now. He was preparing to fight Voldemort. To fight by sacrificing himself. All of this Remus understood, though he had no idea how.

Harry spoke about dying and asked questions. Sirius answered some and James and Lily answered others. Remus was still unsure how he felt about dying or if he was really dead, so he remained silent.

"I didn't mean for any of you to die," Harry said. "I didn't want any of you to. I'm sorry." He turned to look straight at Remus. "I'm sorry you had to die, right after you had your son, too."

"I'm sorry too. But I died so that he can live in a safe world." Remus was touched by Harry's concern. He was going to his own death, but he was apologizing as if the others' deaths had been his fault. Remus decided that he must be dead. Harry seemed to think so, and the others most certainly were. The four of them promised to stay with Harry until the end. Remus would do anything to take some of the pain away from him.

The trek through the forest seemed to take forever. James and Lily walked, or floated, on either side of Harry, and Sirius and Remus came behind in a sort of rear guard. When they reached the edge of the clearing, Remus felt himself being pulled away. He was slipping back away from the forest and away from Harry. He wished that he could stay and help. He only hoped that Harry's courage would be enough to stop Voldemort forever.

Remus was jerked away from the black forest, and he soon found himself back in the dome of colored light. The pictures surrounded him and the faces stared out at him. He stood still as he thought about what had happened. Harry had been going to fight Voldemort. Would he win? Could he? What had happened at the battle? Were they still fighting at Hogwarts even now, while he was trapped and powerless to help? His own memories of the battle were unclear. What had happened to him?

Remus was suddenly struck by inspiration. He couldn't recall what had happened, but he was surrounded by the swirling mass of his memories. Surely what he remembered from that night was here somewhere. Remus glanced frantically about. He had to learn what happened. Maybe it would tell him how to get back. There, on the other side of the dome was a flash of light and the leering face of Antonin Dolohov. Remus had been fighting Dolohov at Hogwarts. That must be it. Remus lunged across the dome to touch the memory before it transformed into something else. His hand went shooting through the image as his momentum carried him forward. Remus felt himself falling and saw images shifting around him.

He landed in Hogwarts. There he saw himself fighting Dolohov on a staircase. Hexes and curses flew all around and one whizzed through Remus's head. He didn't even feel it and assumed that like in the other memories, he would not be able to interact with those around him. Remus ran up the stairs to where his doppelganger was dueling Dolohov. By the time he got there, Dolohov and the other Remus were moving down the hall. Remus saw Bill Weasley dueling Alecto Carrow off to his left and Dedalus Diggle and a group of Hufflepuff students fighting with McNair.

Remus followed himself and Dolohov down the corridors and keeping an eye out for other members of the Order. The dueling Remus and Dolohov soon reached one of Hogwarts' many courtyards. There they circled each other menacingly. Remus stood between the two of them so he could see everything. The courtyard around them was empty. The duo continued sending curses at each other. There were a few narrow misses, but nothing serious. Footsteps sounded in the hall behind them, but neither Dolohov nor his double turned to look. Remus glanced behind him to see who was approaching. Bellatrix Lestrange walked out and into the courtyard.

"Need any help, Antonin?" she called. Her heavy lidded eyes flashed beneath her dark curls. "I would love to finish him off. He is family after all."

Now the memory Remus turned to look at the new threat. Remus frowned. He didn't remember any of this. He knew that he had fought Dolohov, but he couldn't recall meeting Bellatrix.

"Married to my little niece, aren't you?" Bellatrix crooned.

"No. He's mine, Bella. I fought him out here and I'll be the one to end it."

Remus watched and sized up the situation. Two against one. He could hold them off for a while, but not forever. It was only a matter of time before he fell.

"You wouldn't want me to be bored, would you Antonin? Everyone else is dying nicely and I have nothing to do. Besides, this is personal."

While the two Death Eaters talked, the memory Remus sent two stunning spells towards them. Bellatrix reacted quickly and deflected the spell without looking at him. Dolohov was less skilled in his attempt to defend himself. He only managed to deflect half the spell and his left arm hung useless and stunned at his side. After that the spells started flying from all directions.

Remus stood to the side and waited for the time when he would fall. A hex caught the memory Remus in the shoulder and a long deep gash opened up along his right arm. Remus glanced down at his arm where there was no such cut. The battle was intense, and Dolohov soon regained the use of his arm and attacked with a new ferocity. Remus saw himself send spell after spell at his attackers, and a few hit their mark. He still didn't remember the battle, but he knew that he would be the loser.

Dolohov sent rocks from the courtyard and chunks of stone hurling at his double in an attempt to distract him. One large chunk caught the memory Remus on the side of the head. Blood flowed freely from the head wound, but he kept fighting. Remus watched his blood flow from his double's head. He remembered that. It had come just before…….

Then there she was. Over the noise of the battle, no one had heard her footsteps in the hall. She came hurtling out of the doorway, wand in hand and pink hair flying. "Remus!" Her shout startled all of the duelers, and all turned to look at her. Remus saw an evil grin spread across Bellatrix's face.

"She's mine."

Remus's mind was a mass of confusion and emotion, and from the look of his double's face so was his. How could Dora be here? Why had she left safety at home to come fight? Why hadn't he remembered that she had been there? The memory Remus and Dolohov continued to fight, but Remus saw himself sneak glances toward the corner of the courtyard where Dora and Bellatrix were fighting. That lack of focus was going to get him killed, but he couldn't have done it differently. He had to know that she was safe.

Remus watched as the pairs continued fighting. He felt useless standing there. Terror filled every fiber of his being. Dora was here. She had been at the battle. What had happened to her after Remus had been defeated? Bellatrix was screaming and taunting Dora as she flung curses at her niece. Remus's double and Dolohov fought in silence punctuated by the loud explosions of their rebounding spells.

"No!"

The scream filled the courtyard. Both Remus' spun around at the sound of the cry; each seeking a way to help their wife. Dolohov, taking advantage of the situation sent a curse flying towards Remus's doppelganger. A jet of inky black shot from Dolohov’s wand. It wasn’t a spell Remus recognized, but there was no doubt that it was intended for his harm. The double raised his wand to ward off the attack, but it was too late. The spell caught him in the chest and sent him to the ground.

"Nooooo!"

Dora's cries again filled the courtyard. Remus watched as he lay motionless on the ground. He saw his wife run to his side, throwing curses over her shoulder as she went. He saw her take his hand, and prepare to defend him against the Death Eaters. He saw everything go black.

This time the darkness stayed. No light defended him with its gentle glow. He was alone in the consuming darkness. He must truly be dead. No, he couldn’t be dead. He had too much to live for. He had to return to Hogwarts. He had to find his wife. He had to protect his family. He had to live. He refused to die. Not like this. If only he could wake up. He had to wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up.

***
End Notes:
In this chapter I quoted directly from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and she gets full credit for her genius.
Remembering by phoenix_song197
Darkness. Nothing but darkness. All around her, suffocating her. The darkness was choking her, strangling her, killing her. "I must be dying," thought Nymphadora Tonks. Everywhere she looked was the consuming darkness. There was no escape. But she wouldn't give up that easily. She wasn’t dead yet, was she? She could still get out of it. But there was nothing but darkness. Only darkness. But she had to get out of it. She had to find her husband and son. Darkness everywhere.

Wait; there in the distance was a light. Small, barely there, but there all the same. It was growing; slowly increasing in size. Coming closer. Causing the darkness to flee. Ever closer it came. Like a rescuer; a patronus to lead her out of the darkness. Soon it would be upon her. What would she do? They always said not to go into the light, but something told her that the light was better than the suffocating darkness. Closer, closer. She could reach out and touch it now. Closer, closer. Reaching, reaching. Her fingers touched the light, and the dark world around her exploded.

Light. Blinding light, and no darkness to be seen. Completely surrounded, not by the darkness, but by a colorful light that swirled like a thick mist. Tonks gazed all around her. She felt like she was underwater. Swimming in a lake of light. Swirls of different colors drifted around her. She saw a strand that was the same bright pink as her hair. She reached out to touch it and as her fingers brushed its surface the scene changed.

Now there were images floating along the walls of what seemed to be a shimmering dome. Tonks watched the pictures move and felt as though she was back at Hogwarts with all of its moving portraits and tapestries. A closer look showed her that the people and places in the images were familiar. She bit back a gasp as she saw her parents smiling out at her from one window. Her dad had been dead for five months, and seeing him staring at her was something of a shock. One window did show her Hogwarts, with herself participating in a Christmas party in the Hufflepuff common room.

There were more recent images too. She saw herself fighting Death Eaters along with other members of the Order, and speeding along on her broomstick with Ron Weasley disguised as Harry Potter. Tonks spun around and around admiring all of the windows. They all showed moments in her life. Some she remembered right away, and others seemed less important. It was her life, spread out before her like a Muggle movie. There she was changing her hair color on a whim, or creating impressive impersonations of the teachers behind their backs. People she loved, as well as a few she hated could be seen in all of the portraits. Tonks turned slowly around and saw him looking at her. His amber eyes searched hers and he reached out his hand to her. Tonks reached out to take his hand, and her hand broke the surface of the water like picture. She felt herself slide down into the depths.

Tonks floated down to solid ground. She looked frantically around for the man she had seen. She was in a dark alleyway, probably in London. She listened, but heard nothing. Then two figures walked out of the darkness. Tonks pulled out her wand to defend herself, but she had a suspicion that it wouldn't do any good here. They came down the alley towards her.

There he was; her best friend and true love, and for a year now, her husband. Remus Lupin walked quickly, his long stride leaving his companion far behind him. Tonks turned her attention to the woman following him, and she was surprised to see herself trailing after him. Tonks stared for a few moments at her doppelganger. It was really weird to see herself, her bright pink hair just the way she liked it. Where was she? And why were there two of her?

Out of curiosity, she reached out to take Remus's hand as he passed her. Her hand went right through his. Tonks decided to follow them, and try to remember what had happened. This was obviously something that had already happened. A memory. Her memory. Remus and the other Tonks were the only figures she could see, and they remained silent as they walked. They seemed to be following someone. Then the memory clicked. They were tracking someone. A Death Eater by the name of Avery. That's why she had seen Remus reaching out to her. This was an important memory in their relationship.

Now Tonks was really curious. She wondered what she would see that she had missed the first time. The memory figures followed the fleeting shadow ahead of them. They had slowed and were now side by side. Tonks stayed right behind them. There was a dead end alley ahead of them, and they would find a surprise waiting for them. But Tonks already knew what was coming. She knew how this story ended.

The three of them walked out into the alley, prepared to attack. But they were expecting one Death Eater, not five. Tonks watched as Remus and herself stood back to back in a defense position. They had not expected this, but they adapted quickly.

"Give up?" asked a masked man to Remus's right.

Remus answered for both of them. "Never."

Tonks felt chills go down her spine at his voice. Low and threatening; it said exactly what he felt. She saw the visible shiver on her double. She remembered that at this point she knew that she was falling for Remus, but was determined not to show him unless he felt the same way.

"Fine then," said the Death Eater. "More fun this way."

And then the curses started flying. Red and green splashes of light hit the walls around them and rocketed into the night. Worst-case scenario would be a London Muggle walking into the alley to investigate. Luckily, Tonks knew that wouldn't happen. Not tonight.

The memory Tonks and Remus fought back to back for most of the battle. Both dodged and deflected as one fighter. This was one of their many missions together, and each knew what to expect from the other. Tonks' double stepped forward to send a particularly nasty hex into the fray, and tripped right into a stunning curse.

Tonks grimaced as her doppelganger hit the ground. She hit her head, and Tonks knew that she had blacked out. This time she would watch, and see what happened. Remus stepped over his fallen partner, and shielded her with his body from the advancing Death Eaters. He sent countless spells into the mass of attackers and blocked many spells destined for Tonks with a shield charm. He even stepped in front of a few hexes when he could not prevent them from getting close.

All of this Tonks watched in amazement. She hadn't realized that most of his injuries from that fight were gained in her defense. Remus could have left when she fell instead of taking on five Death Eaters by himself. But he didn't. He stayed.

The Tonks on the ground stirred, but only Tonks noticed. The Death Eaters didn't see her as a threat. Remus had temporarily removed two of the attackers from the fight. Tonks's double, still lying on the ground, zapped two of the masked figures with a full body bind curse when she came to.

Tonks remembered the emotions that overrode her when she woke to find Remus protecting her from harm. As the Death Eaters Tonks had hit came crashing to the ground, Remus blasted the last one and sent him flying backwards into a brick wall. Tonks watched as he reached down to her double on the ground. That was what she had seen in the lighted dome.

"Are you all right?" Remus asked. Tonks saw the same thing she had seen in his eyes the first time. He cared. A great deal more than he let on.

Tonks's double nodded slowly. As long as he was with her, she would always be all right. It was then that she had realized how much she loved him, and had wondered if he felt something for her too.

The Death Eaters that had been stunned first were starting to stir. Remus had continued to hold her hand after he had helped her up. Now he and the memory Tonks glanced at the waking Death Eaters. With an unspoken understanding, they turned on the spot and disappeared. Tonks felt herself drifting up and out of the memory.
End Notes:
More will be coming soon, please review and give me your thoughts!
Seeking by phoenix_song197
Author's Notes:
I am not J. K. Rowling, as should be obvious this far into the story, and you'll be able to tell what is hers and not mine. Specifically, I borrowed from The Battle of Hogwarts pages 624-626.
The dome of light again surrounded her. Images swirled amongst the colors. Tonks saw herself on missions for the Auror office with her mentor, Alastor, Mad-Eye, Moody. She saw her wedding to Remus, and laughing conversations with her cousin, Sirius Black, about the rest of their family. Tonks felt tears burn her eyes. All of those men were dead now. Except Remus. Remus couldn't be dead. He had to be alive. She remembered a battle, but nothing else. She just had to believe that he was alive.

Tonks watched the images slide across the walls and ceiling of the dome. A few pictures even appeared underneath her feet. Tonks glanced down and saw a sneering woman that resembled her mother glaring up at her. The photo of Bellatrix Lestrange sent curses towards Tonks, and she jumped backwards out of the way. Tonks felt her balance waver and she stuck out a hand to stop her fall. Her fingers sank through the image behind her. She was drifting down again. To experience another of her memories.

It was evening in this window. She saw the stars high above her twinkling in the heavens. There was only a sliver of moon, but it lit the grounds around her. She saw the silhouette of the castle behind her, framed against the night sky. She was at Hogwarts. At first Tonks thought that it must be a memory from her school days, but then she saw herself as an adult walking across the grounds. Tonks watched as she drew closer. Her twin was following a man down the path. His strides were long and she had to almost run to stay in step with him. As they drew nearer, Tonks could make out what they were saying.

"It's later. We're going to discuss it now," Tonks heard herself say.

Remus's voice came out of the darkness. "There's nothing else to discuss, Dora. I've told you why it won't work." Tonks moved closer, so that she could see his face.

"You've also told me that you love me, so why can't we make it work?" Tonks heard the suppressed anger in her voice. She had loved this man since she had first tripped into his arms, and she knew that he loved her back, so why wouldn't he just listen to her? Tonks understood now what he had been trying to protect her from, but she wouldn't trade a moment of their time together for anything.

"I told you just now in the hospital wing. You deserve better than what I can give you. I'm too poor, I'm too…."

"Stop right there," Tonks heard herself say. "I'm going to prove you wrong one point at a time."

Remus sighed. "Fine. I'm too poor. I have no job, and there is no guarantee that I will ever get a good one. I can't provide for you in the way that I would like."

Tonks remembered this argument. It was one of many between the two of them about what to do about their growing love. It would not be the end of their fights, but it would mark a change in their lives forever.

"This isn't about money. It's about the fact that I love you and want to marry you. I don't care about money. My family's never been really well off. The Blacks disinherited my mum when she married my dad, and my dad's job never has paid him loads. I have a job at the Auror office, and we can get by on whatever we make. We can make it work. That's a bad excuse." Tonks grinned at Remus's expression. It was one of complete exasperation. Her memory double smiled too. She was making progress.

"I'll try again then. I'm thirteen years older than you. You should have someone closer to your own age."

"I've thought of that one too. You're not that much older. And besides, you're more mature and will be able to take care of me. Strike two. One more try."

Remus gazed at the memory Tonks with an expression full of love and frustration. "Dora, I'm a werewolf." He looked disgusted as he said it, and full of regret. "I will never be what you need. I will always be a monster."

"You are not a monster," Tonks's memory self told him firmly. "And did it ever occur to you that maybe what I need is a werewolf?"

Now Remus looked stunned. "The last thing anyone needs is a werewolf. You deserve better than me, Dora. Much better."

Tonks saw the anger rise in her doppelganger as her hair turned slowly red. "You keep saying that. But I know that I will never find anyone better for me than you, Remus. Maybe others don't need a werewolf, but I need you." Tonks found herself holding her breath along with her twin while waiting for his answer. Long seconds ticked by and the memory Tonks tried again. "You heard McGonagall in the hospital wing. Dumbledore would have wanted love to win out. He would have wanted us to be together. I want that, and I think you do too."

Remus looked completely torn. "I would like nothing better than to live the rest of my life out with you, but I have to be realistic. I can't condemn you to that life."

"It's not condemning if it's what I want. Stop trying to protect me for a minute. I am an Auror and I can take care of myself. You have never hurt anyone as a werewolf, and if you keep being careful, nothing bad will happen. You can take the wolfsbane potion and go hide one day a month. Between the two of us, we should be able to make, buy, or steal it. We can make this work." Her brow furrowed as she looked at him. "Do you want this to work?"

"Yes," Remus answered without hesitation. "I have never wanted anything so much. Do you think it's possible?"

The relief that rolled off of Tonks's double was tangible. "What have I been telling you? I think it will work."

"There's a war going on."

"Forgot that excuse did you? Well, it doesn't matter. Arthur and Molly married during the first war, why can't we? I love you, Remus."

"And I love you, Dora."

Tonks watched as Remus and the memory Tonks stood silently in the half moonlight. Tonks felt her eyes water as she smiled at the scene before her.

Remus broke the silence as he took her hand and got down on one knee. The memory Tonks looked surprised. "What are you doing?"

Remus smiled. "It took me this long to get here. I'm going to do this right. Nymphadora Tonks, will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?"

"Yes!" Tonks watched as she nearly tackled the man in front of her. He stood with her in his arms.

"I promise, Dora. I'll find a job and a house for us. I'll never be anywhere near you when there's a full moon. I'll do my best to protect you. And I'll always love you."

Tonks's memory self smiled up at him. "I know you will. Now, shut up and kiss me."

Remus happily obliged, and the pair stood together by the lake, oblivious to the world of hardship around them. The stars above them twinkled brightly as if wishing them luck on their journey together. They had come a long ways since then. Tonks only hoped that their journey wasn't over.

The scene faded as Tonks was pulled back to the lighted dome. She was once again surrounded by her floating memories. She looked around and saw the first time she had met Harry Potter. She saw herself with her natural brown hair during the months she could not morph it, and long sleepless nights spent with Molly Weasley in the Burrow's kitchen. She saw her son. Her heart stopped. When it began again it ached with longing to hold him, to protect him. The window offered a glimpse into her life just before her last battle. She and Remus were holding Teddy and from the looks of it telling him a story. It had been so perfect, the three of them together as a family. What she wouldn't give to return to that world, if anything for just a moment to see them one last time. Tonks felt the tears run silently down her face. She couldn't go back. She was trapped in the world of her memories, and there was no escape. What had happened anyway? Had she died, or was she merely sleeping? This was by far the worst nightmare she had ever had. The battle. The answers must lie there. Somewhere there was a memory of that fight, if she could only find it, she would know.

Tonks scanned the walls around her. Searching for that one fateful recollection. She remembered fighting her own evil aunt, Bellatrix Lestrange. She had already seen that memory. Tonks looked about madly for Bellatrix's sneering face. Then she looked down, and saw the Death Eater glaring up at her. Without thinking twice, Tonks jumped straight into the memory. Images whirled around her as she fell down, down, down into the battle.

Tonks did not arrive at the battle, like she had expected. Instead she found herself in the small apartment that she shared with Remus. Tonks' own memory double was pacing the floor of the shabby kitchen. Her mother, Andromeda Tonks, sat at the small table watching her daughter. Tonks saw Teddy lying in his crib in the corner. She remembered some of this. Remus had left to go fight at the battle at Hogwarts. They had both agreed that it was smarter for Tonks to remain with Teddy, but it was proving one of the hardest things Tonks had ever had to do. She wanted to protect and care for her son, but she had never been one to sit out a fight. She wanted to fight alongside Remus and make sure that he stayed safe as well. Tonks remembered all of these emotions well. She watched with her mother as her doppelganger paced.

Finally, after what seemed like eternity, Andromeda spoke. "Go to him, Nymphadora."

This statement startled the memory Tonks out of her internal battle. "What?"

Andromeda looked for a long time at her daughter. "Go to him, Dora. It will kill you to stay here. I would have done the same thing for your father." She smiled a sad smile. "Maybe you can help him. I'll look after Teddy while your gone."

It seemed to take a moment for her mother's words to sink in. "Thanks, Mum. We'll be back soon, you'll see." The memory Tonks hugged her mother, and then moved towards Teddy's cradle. "Don't worry, Teddy," she whispered to her son. "Mummy and daddy will be back soon. I love you." She held him close, then kissed his forehead and handed the sleeping baby to her mother. Tonks wished that she had known it would be the last time she'd hold her son. She'd have never have let go. But she had to go find her husband too. She had to be assured of his safety. The memory Tonks exchanged a knowing look with her mother, and then she turned on the spot and disappeared.

Tonks apparated to Hogsmeade, the village just outside Hogwarts. When Kingsley Shacklebolt had sent the message about the battle, he had told both Tonks and Remus how to get into the castle, and her memory knew where she was going. Tonks watched herself walk purposefully to the Hogshead tavern. The streets were abandoned, but the castle was lit up in the distance by the skull and snake symbol that was etched across the sky. Both Tonks walked faster. When they reached the Hogshead, they had no trouble finding the secret passage to Hogwarts. The pub was abandoned like the streets. Everyone was either hiding or fighting.

Tonks ran after her double through the tunnel as fast as she could. It was a miracle that she hadn't tripped and broken her neck before she even got to the battle. At the end of the tunnel Tonks stepped out behind her doppelganger into the Room of Requirement. Tonks had never been inside the room during her school days, but she had heard about it from Harry and his friends who used it for a secret hideout. The room provided whatever the user happened to need, and at the moment the entrance to the passageway was its gift to the Hogwarts defenders.

The memory Tonks glanced frantically around her and was about to leave when she spotted Ginny Weasley standing near the doorway. An older woman Tonks recognized as Mrs. Longbottom stepped out of the passage behind her. Tonks followed herself towards the hallway and Ginny as Harry raced into the room. His expression was one of surprise to see her there, though she knew it was not her he saw, but her memory double.

"Is everyone okay?" Tonks was surprised to hear her double's voice joined by Ginny's, but imagined that it was a question on everyone's lips.

"Yeah, I think so," Harry replied. He turned to Tonks. "I thought you were supposed to be with Teddy at your mother's," he asked her.

"I couldn't stand not knowing," Tonks heard herself tell him grimly. "She'll look after him - have you seen Remus?"

Harry shook his head. "He was planning to lead a group of fighters into the grounds…."

Tonks' memory didn't wait for him to finish before running out of the room, and Tonks followed quickly so as not to lose her. She didn't remember where she had gone or what she had done during the battle, and she wouldn't learn anything if she got lost.

Tonks continued to run through the corridors searching for her husband. Hogwarts was huge, and she would never find him at this rate. Not in time anyway. Tonks' double asked everyone she saw if they had seen Remus, but no one had. She paused to send curses into those who tried to attack her, but she never stopped for long.

Tonks began to get worried. She didn't remember what happened. Obviously someone had gotten lucky with a shot that hit her, but what if she hadn't found Remus before she had blacked out? What if she had never seen him one last time? What if she really was dead? What would he do without her? What would she do without him?

The memory Tonks continued to run through the corridors and she nearly collided with a tall, thin man with startling blue eyes. Aberforth Dumbledore stepped back with his wand raised but lowered it when he saw her. Ginny stood beside him. Tonks watched as her double nervously chewed her lip.

"Aberforth, have you…" she began to ask, but she was interrupted by a curse smashing into the stone near her head. The three Hogwarts defenders stood back to back and sent spells flying at the Death Eaters around them. It was luckily, a short fight. Harry came flying down the hallway just as they finished the last of them.

In the space between fights, Tonks saw herself turn to the tall man beside her and asked again, "Have you seen Remus?"

"He was dueling with Dolohov on the grounds," the graying man shouted over the noise of the battles around him. "Haven't seen him since."

"Tonks," Ginny comforted her. "Tonks, I'm sure he's okay…"

Again, without waiting for a good-bye, Tonks's double took off tearing through the halls with Tonks hurrying after her. The two of them ran through the maze of corridors towards the grounds. Tonks's heart pounded in her chest, and the 'what ifs' continued to speed through her mind with each step. She ran through the archway leading to one of the many courtyards. She could hear explosions coming from the end of the tunnel. Somehow she knew that this was it. Maybe she was starting to remember.

The memory of Tonks dashed into the courtyard and skidded to a stop with her wand raised. Tonks was right behind her. In front of her stood Remus, a Death Eater she recognized as Dolohov, and her own evil aunt, Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Remus!" Tonks's doppelganger screamed. Remus spun to look at her. The shock and fear were evident on his face. The memory Tonks fired a shot at his attacker, but it did little good.

Bellatrix grinned maliciously. "She's mine," she breathed. Bellatrix approached Tonks and her memory self with slow, measured steps. The evil smile stayed plastered on her face. Tonks positioned herself between herself and her aunt, watching both sides as well as sending searching glances in Remus's direction.

"So little niecie. We meet again." Bellatrix and Tonks' memory began to circle each other in the corner of the courtyard. "You've escaped me too often, but I hope to finish it this time."

Tonks didn't reply to Bellatrix's taunts, but instead sent three curses in rapid succession headed towards her.

Bellatrix blocked all with relative ease, but refrained from sending back any of her own. The two women continued to circle with Tonks trapped in between them. "Not very nice, Nymphadora. Sending curses at your own aunt." Tonks saw herself grit her teeth at the sound of her full name. "Come on, Dora. Aren't you going to fight back? You're an Auror aren't you? But I hear that you like to be called by your Mudblood father's name. Isn't that right, little Tonksie?" Bellatrix smiled wickedly. "Such a pity that our family doesn't get along better. But who can blame them? Your mummy is a blood traitor, and your daddy is a filthy Mudblood. He's dead now, isn't he? One less I'll have to deal with." Tonks saw the rage on her double's face. Bellatrix smiled at the effect her words were having. Tonks again sent spells hurtling towards her. Bellatrix returned a few nasty spells of her own, but didn't continue the fight. "Your mother never had very good taste in men. It seems that you have inherited her lack of judgment. You married a werewolf! How do you like your beastie husband?" Bellatrix cackled, but Tonks knew that she had willed herself to stay silent. "Come on, Tonksie. Aren't you going to say anything?" Bellatrix's tone suddenly changed with a cold abruptness. The taunting was replaced by a dangerous voice. "I'm going to kill you, Tonksie. I'm going to make you suffer. And then, I'm going to kill your werewolf lover if Dolohov hasn't already finished him off. Maybe I should make you watch him die. What do you think?"

Tonks' twin's response was to shoot yet more curses at her aunt. Bellatrix began to return them now, and soon the fight was going on physically as well as verbally. Tonks watched from between the duelers. Remus seemed to be doing fine. He had a few more cuts since the last time she looked, but seemed relatively unhurt. Bellatrix continued to shout at Tonk's memory even over the sounds of the duel.

"I'm going to kill your mummy too! Something that I should have done long ago. She has been a disgrace to our family for long enough. I will make my dear sister scream in agony before she dies, just like I will you. I will destroy everyone you love!" Bellatrix again screeched her mad laughter.

Tonks watched her memory self dodge and return curses and saw her sneak a glance towards Remus. "When I'm done with you, you will never hurt my family again!"

Bellatrix continued to laugh. "Won't I? I will kill them all! Your mummy, your precious beastie husband." The insane laughter stopped for a moment. Bellatrix's eyes lighted with a new fire. "Or did you mean someone else? I wonder. Yes, it's possible. You don't have a beastie baby, do you, Tonksie?"

Tonks felt her heart stop. She had always known that Bellatrix would go after her family, but she didn't think that she would know about Teddy. No, she would not let this monster hurt her baby son.

The memory Tonks didn't reply, but sent spells flying. Tonks noticed that she was biting her lip.

Bellatrix's laughter began again. "You do! Well, isn't that nice. Yes, little niece, I'll kill him too. He will die, and it is your fault. Your silence just proved that he exists. I will torture your little baby. I don't suppose he'll last long. Or maybe I'll just have my friend Fenrir Greyback bite him. He's already half werewolf, so it won't matter, will it?"

Tonks felt the horror rise up inside her. To turn an innocent baby into a werewolf…. But then that was just the sort of thing Greyback would enjoy. It had been him that had bitten Remus when he was a child, and he would love to get revenge for all the times Remus had thwarted his plans. Tonks remembered Remus's fear that Teddy had inherited his Lycanthropy, and to tell the truth, she had been pretty scared too. They were both so thankful that he was safe from that life; to have him bitten now would be horrible. She had to protect him. At all costs.

"Or maybe that's not the worst I can do." Bellatrix's eyes grew slightly unfocused as she contemplated the possibilities. Unfortunately for Tonks's double this apparent distraction did nothing to her reflexes, which blocked the curse heading towards her. Tonks saw herself tighten her grip on her wand as Bellatrix turned toward her and grinned malevolently. "No. That's not the worst I can do." She chuckled, a sound that resembled fingernails on a chalkboard. She took a step closer to the memory Tonks. "No. I don't have to kill him. I can take him. Steal away the helpless baby after I've killed his parents. Take him far away. Raise him as my own. Teach him to hate Mudbloods and werewolves and the Order of the Phoenix. Turn him into a Death Eater. And then, dear niecie, when I've killed your husband and stolen your child and when you yourself are dead, then I will have taken everything from you."

It was then that the memory Tonks lost control. It had been coming on for a while now, but the threat to Teddy was her breaking point. "No!" she screamed at her aunt. She would never let anyone harm her son. And she would never let anyone take him away. Tonks watched and struggled with her own emotions. She remembered now, everything that had happened, but she still felt fear at the threat. Bellatrix would do whatever it took to destroy Tonks' world.

Tonks turned to look towards her husband. She knew what would happen even before he fell, but she screamed along with her twin as he crashed to the ground. "Nooooo!"

Tonks saw herself run to his side while still firing curses at the two Death Eaters. She was oblivious to them now. All she felt was the pain and fear of loss. She watched as her double took Remus's hand and sobbed over his fallen body even while trying to fight. Bellatrix laughed at her niece's sorrow and sent the final curse hurtling towards her. The stream of black hit her before she could defend herself. Tonks saw herself fall as if in slow motion next to Remus still clutching his hand. Then she saw only darkness.

Only darkness. No light to protect and defend her. Just still, peaceful darkness. Again Tonks thought that she was dying. The lighted dome and memories were gone and replaced by darkness. It would be so easy to die now. So easy to escape the pain that she felt rip her apart at the thought of losing Remus. She could die now and have it go away. But she didn't want it to go away. Pain reminded her that she was still alive. And being alive reminded her that she had a life worth living. Tonks had a wonderful husband and son, and she had to go to them. They needed her. And she needed them. She was alive. She just had to wake from this nightmare. She needed only to wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Review and tell me what you liked or what you think would make it better.
Waking by phoenix_song197
Author's Notes:
This chapter should make it perfectly obvious that I am not J.K. Rowling.
Arthur Weasley stood silently in the Great Hall. His family surrounded him as they stood over his dead son. Fred; gone. It was a crushing blow. Arthur would give anything to replace the still body on the floor with his own. He would give anything to have been able to save his son.

The battle was over. Voldemort was dead. And now they could realize the extent of their loss. There were rows upon rows of lifeless bodies in the Great Hall, and even more of the wounded. Looking at the carnage you would never guess that they had indeed been victorious against their attackers.

Arthur felt the tears slide slow and warm down his cheeks. He cried for his son, and for the life he would never live. He cried for his family, for the loss of a brother and child. Through his tears he looked around at his loved ones. Molly, his beloved wife, sat near Fred's still form. There was nothing silent about her grief. Arthur put a hand on her shoulder as she shook with her sobs. George sat on the floor near Fred's head. Arthur was most concerned for Fred's twin as he cried silently. His oldest son, Bill, along with his wife, Fleur, stood near Arthur, holding each other close and grieving for a lost brother. Charlie stood off to one side, lost in his own thoughts. Percy kneeled near George and was crying unashamedly. Arthur was thankful that Percy had rejoined the family before Fred had died. Ron stood in the circle surrounding Fred with Hermione Granger, close to Harry Potter and Arthur's youngest child, Ginny. All were obviously mourning the loss of brother and friend. Even as Arthur cried for his son, he offered up silent thanks that it hadn't been worse. He knew he would grieve for his child every day of his life, but at least everyone else was safe. It could have been even more devastating.

Arthur turned and looked outside of the circle of family. Near the doors to the Great Hall stood Kingsley Shacklebolt and Professors McGonagall and Flitwick. They were probably discussing the aftermath of the battle and plans for the immediate future. Arthur thought about joining them. The Order would need all the help they could get in the weeks to come, but for now he would stay with his family. This was their time to grieve, and life would move on all too quickly.

Arthur's gaze traveled away from the living and back to the dead. So many defenders had lost their lives in the battle. There were nearly fifty students lying lifeless on the floor, as well as some parents and Order members. Arthur looked sadly at one couple a little ways from Fred. Remus and Nymphadora Lupin looked peaceful and at rest. If Arthur hadn't known better, he would have guessed they were sleeping. Unfortunately, this was not the case. When searching the castle for causalities, Arthur and Bill had found them in a small courtyard on the grounds. The pair had been lying side by side on the stone pavement with their hands clasped tightly together. Rather than sever a connection that death could not break, Arthur and Bill had levitated them together to the castle.

War is a terrible thing, Arthur decided as he gazed at the bodies and people around him. It claimed those far too young to die, he looked towards his son, and it took those that had finally found happiness, he looked back towards Remus and Tonks. Arthur stared into their faces for several seconds. Were they together now?

Arthur drew a sharp breath. That wasn't possible. He had thought that while looking at Remus, he had seen him move. Barely noticeable, just the flutter of an eyelash, but still Arthur thought he had seen it. He shook his head and blinked his eyes. Surely it was his tears and his grief that had caused him to imagine something like that. They were dead. And once dead, people tended to stay that way.

Maybe they had been wrong when they thought him dead. Arthur watched carefully and again saw the smallest of movements on Remus' face. It didn't seem possible, but he would not begrudge them life if they could have it. Slowly, Arthur made his way over to where they lay. He knelt beside Remus. His family noticed his departure, and some of the boys followed him.

"Dad, what is it?" asked Bill as he and Fleur came closer to where Arthur knelt.

"I thought…" Arthur stopped as he realized how ridiculous it sounded. He couldn't just tell them he thought he had seen the dead man move. "Never mind. It was nothing." But still he stayed near the two bodies. Most of the Weasley family had come over now. They all wanted to pay their last respects to these friends too.

It was silent as they stood in the crowded hall. Then there was a small gasp as Remus' brow furrowed ever so slightly, as if he was concentrating very hard.

"I saw that," Hermione whispered. "I saw him move."

Soon everyone had see small flickers of movement on Remus' face. It seemed that he might be alive. It looked to Arthur like he was trying with all his might to wake up.

***

Wake up. Wake up. He had to wake up. Dora needed him. Teddy needed him. He didn't deserve them, but he had to protect them. Remus focused all his willpower on opening his eyes. If he could just open his eyes, then it would all be fine. He would be awake. He would be alive.

Harder and harder he tried to make his eyes open. A few times he thought that he caught glimpses of light, but that could easily be his imagination. It didn't seem to be working. He was still trapped in this dark world. Giving up seemed easier. But he would not give up. He would fight to return to his loved ones forever if he must. Wake up, he told himself firmly. He thought of his wife and child, and of all the people he cared about. He would see them again. He would wake up. He would live.

Once again, Remus concentrated on opening his eyes, a movement that had once seemed so insignificant and easy. He would never take it for granted again. Now. Remus forced all his energy into this one action. Slowly a point of light appeared in front of him. His eyes opened a crack before he blinked them shut against the brightness. No, he wanted the brightness. He wanted the light. Remus kept his eyes open, but he could do little more than squint as he gazed into the light.

***

Arthur stared in astonishment as Remus gingerly opened his eyes. He blinked several times and squinted up at them. Professors McGonagall and Flitwick, as well as Kingsley Shacklebolt and grounds keeper, Rubeus Hagrid, had gathered around after Charlie had beckoned to them from across the Hall. Molly, George, and Percy still sat with Fred but were watching from off to the side, and the rest of his family stood or knelt beside him as they stared at Remus' confused face. He was alive. There was no doubt now. Remus Lupin had rejoined the ranks of the living. Everyone seemed to hold his or her breath, as if afraid that one false move would send him back to the grave.

***

Eventually, Remus' eyes began to adjust to the sudden brightness. He could make out blurred shapes and faces hovering over him. Was he dreaming, or was he really here? The curse that had hit him was not the telltale green of Avada Kedevra, so he was not dead. Remus had never heard of a black curse before. Perhaps it was meant to trap him in a world of his own. That was certainly what had happened to him. He had been trapped, but not killed.

Finally, after much blinking, Remus was able to see around him. He saw nearly all the Weasleys gathered close, as well as some of the Hogwarts professors and members of the Order. The only one he didn’t see was the face he was looking for. Remus looked around and tried to sit up. Where was she? Dora had to be here somewhere. She had to be all right. As he became more conscious of his surroundings he became aware of another hand clutched tightly in his. He slowly turned and looked.

***

Remus was now gazing straight at Arthur. He was still lying on the ground, but had managed to raise himself up slightly. His eyes moved from one face to another. Arthur remained silent, but the joy at seeing his friend alive grew ever stronger.

Arthur looked at the others around him. All looked happy, but no one spoke. It was as if one word would break the spell. Molly was smiling and crying, tears not of grief, but of happiness. Arthur knew that she would hug Remus at the first opportunity, but for now no one moved.

Remus' gaze searched everyone's face, but he continued to look about him. It must be quite an experience, waking from the dead, Arthur mused. But Arthur doubted now that Remus had ever been dead at all. He had seen too much death to think that it could be so easily reversed.

Remus seemed to be searching for something. Someone. Then Arthur realized what was happening. The joy inside him turned to sorrow for his friend. Remus was looking for his wife, just as Arthur would be doing in the same circumstances. Arthur watched Remus turn, and wished that he could save him from seeing the truth.

***

Remus looked down at his hand. In it, their fingers intertwined, was a smaller, more delicate hand. It felt fragile under his callused and scarred one. He stared at the fingernails, which were a bright pink color. His mind was uncomprehending for a moment, and then he realized whose hand this was. Then Remus spoke his first word after returning from the darkness.

"No," he croaked. No, it couldn't be. He must be wrong. Slowly, Remus' eyes traveled up to the face of the woman whose hand he held. He was not mistaken. There next to him laid his wife. Dora looked peaceful. Her eyes were closed, and by all appearances she could have been asleep.

No, she couldn't be gone. He needed her. He loved this woman more than life itself, and she was his reason to keep living. For a moment, Remus wanted to return to the darkness and what lay beyond it. If that's where she was. But then he thought of their son. Teddy would need someone to protect and raise him. Remus loved his child, but he wondered if he would be able to carry on alone.

***

Arthur saw pure anguish on Remus' face. His worst nightmare had been confirmed. He was alone. Arthur thought he had never seen something so heart wrenching. It seemed that he had realized what was coming a split second before the other spectators. He heard a soft gasp and muffled crying from those around him as Remus stared into Tonks' lifeless face.

"No."

That one word sent shivers down Arthur's spine. It was spoken by a man who was truly suffering.

***

Remus felt like his heart had been ripped out of his body. Dora was gone. He was alone. He felt as if part of him was dead, the very best part. Remus began to cry as he lay holding his wife. He barely noticed the others' presence. He had thought that she would be okay. He had come back for her. He should have protected her from her aunt. He should have told her he loved her more often. He should have married her when he first fell in love. He shouldn't have gotten himself killed. But, he wasn't dead. He was here in the Great Hall at Hogwarts. It wasn't a memory; it was real. But it was too much to hope for. To hope that she too might return to him. Might escape the darkness and enter the light. Remus did hope that. He hoped and prayed that his rationalizing mind was wrong. He wished with all his soul that she would return.

***

Arthur watched the sad picture before him. The grief that had momentarily been pushed to the side of his mind at Remus' awakening was now front and center. This was almost worse than when they had both been dead. Teddy would now have a father, but Remus had come back to a shattered world. Arthur couldn't help but imagine what he would feel, had it been him in Remus' shoes. He now knew the pain of losing a child, but he was sure that losing Molly would kill him. Arthur again sent thanks heavenward for the remaining members of his family.

Arthur saw his family shift awkwardly around him. Everyone was wondering were to go and what to do. Remus was alive. But Tonks was dead. There was nothing they could do. Should they give Remus privacy as he wept for his wife, or should they offer comfort?

Arthur saw tears stream down Hermione and Fleur's faces. Professor McGonagall clutched a tartan handkerchief to her mouth. Ginny was biting her lip and the tears had welled up in her eyes. Hagrid sobbed into a tablecloth-sized handkerchief, his massive tears creating a puddle on the floor. Professor Flitwick and Ron were both wiping at their eyes, and Charlie had turned away. Molly was sobbing quietly into Percy's shoulder as he tried to comfort her. George's face was completely blank and desolate. Harry stood staring at Remus and his pain was reflected in his green eyes. It seemed that there was no hope.

***

Remus fixed his eyes on Dora's face. He couldn't look away. He wasn't sure what would hurt more, being unable to look away or actually doing it. It felt like it would break his last connection with his wife. Remus' tears so obscured his vision that he almost missed the movement on her face. The flicker of an eyelash and nothing more. Remus was sure that it was his imagination. It was what he so desperately wanted to see. Surely he was deluding himself. But then it came again, the slight flutter of her eyelashes in the air. Remus held his breath.

***
Arthur was about to turn away and give privacy to the grieving man before him, when he saw the shadow of movement on Tonks' face. Could it be? Did he dare hope? For Remus' sake he did hope. Again, the flicker of life flashed across her face. Her eyelashes had moved, as if she was trying to open her eyes. Arthur noticed that the rest of the Hall had grown silent. Everyone was watching the internal battle of Remus and Tonks. One against their emotions, and one against the clutches of whatever curse held her.

***

Was she opening her eyes? Remus had to remind himself to breath, and this he did as quietly as possible. He didn't want to do anything to send her back to the world of darkness. Her eyelashes fluttered again and she frowned slightly with concentration. Remus' heart pounded in his chest. Would she live? Yes, she had to. And he would be here for her when she woke up.

***

Slowly, ever so slowly, her eyes opened. Tonks blinked and squinted against the intense light. It was so bright, but so much better than the darkness. Did it work? Was she back? She seemed to be lying on the floor, never a good thing, but she didn’t seem to be dead. Then again she had never seen that flash of green that should have ended it. The curse had been black, hadn’t it? Had she been asleep all this time? Tonks wasn’t sure what sort of nightmare she had just been through, she only hoped it was over.

Tonks blinked again and she was able to make out faces above her. There were people there, but she couldn't see who they were. As her eyes adjusted, far too slowly for her taste, she was able to identify the face directly above her. She saw him and nothing else mattered. He was here. He was alive. Or they were both dead. But it didn't matter, so long as they were together, although she would prefer being alive. Yes, they were alive.

Her eyes were beginning to focus now. Yes, there were others there. Their bright red hair identified most of them as Weasleys, but Tonks had eyes for only one person there. His face was directly over hers and she smiled up at him. "Remus," she whispered. He gave a smile full of obvious relief and love. And then he leaned down to kiss her.

***

After what seemed like an eternity, Dora's eyes opened. Remus again held his breath as she stared unseeing up at him. Then he saw her eyes adjust and recognition sparked behind them. She barely glanced at the others before staring into his eyes. Love and joy filled Remus as he gazed into her brown eyes. Then she smiled at him, and Remus thought that his heart had stopped again. She whispered his name and he knew that it was real. They were alive. They were together. It would be okay. He smiled at her, and then he leaned down to kiss her.

***

Arthur felt his face split into a smile. They were both alive. How? He may never know, but they were here and that's what mattered. Everyone was smiling now as Remus and Tonks kissed. Some of their audience looked amazed while others just looked relieved. Many of the women along with Hagrid were still crying, tears of happiness now. And Molly was smiling through her tears.

"It's a miracle," Professor McGonagall said around her handkerchief.

Arthur's smile grew wider. It was indeed.

Tonks broke off the kiss and suddenly looked fearful. "Bellatrix Lestrange," she gasped. "We have to find her. She's going to kidnap Teddy." The terror was evident in her voice, and Remus tensed at this dark prediction.

Arthur stepped forward. "Don't worry," he assured them. "Bellatrix is…."

"Dead." Molly finished his sentence for him. "She won't be hurting anyone ever again." Molly would know; it had been her that sent the fatal curse at Bellatrix Lestrange.

Arthur saw relief cross Tonks' face, as well as a look he recognized as disappointment that it hadn't been her to finish off her aunt.

"Does that mean it's over then?" Remus asked.

"Yes," Arthur replied. "It's all over."

***

Remus stood shakily to his feet and reached out a hand to help up Tonks. She took his hand and didn't let go even when she stood beside him. It was over. Tonks didn't know what that would mean for her family, but she knew that the world, both Wizarding and Muggle would be safer. She didn't think that it was possible to feel any happier. You-Know-Who was gone and she was here. With Remus. The danger was gone, and they were safe. As an Auror she knew that evil would always return, but Tonks knew that with Remus she was always safe. Ignoring everyone around her, she turned to her husband.

"I love you," she whispered. There was so much she wanted to tell him, but this was the most important. She had fought for him, and sometimes with him, to make him part of her life. And now she had fought against the darkness to return to him. Tonks would never take his love for granted again. She smiled as his amber eyes found hers.

***

Remus smiled at his wife. How he loved this woman. She was his world. It constantly amazed him that she loved him too. For years he had thought himself unlovable and had distanced himself from relationships. Now he thought he must be the very luckiest man in the world. Voldemort was gone forever, and they were both alive. Life wouldn't get easier. He was still a werewolf, but they'd proven that together they could deal with that. Together they could deal with anything.

"And I love you," he whispered back. He was completely oblivious to the group of onlookers. He had eyes only for Dora. There was so much he wanted to tell her, but this was the first. He would never miss an opportunity to say it again. Remus again leaned in close to kiss her.

***

As if on unspoken orders the spectators started to move away. There would be time enough later to talk with Remus and Tonks. Arthur let out a deep breath as the group dispersed. He walked over to his own wife and put an arm around her shoulders. Both he and Molly glanced back to where Remus and Tonks stood holding each other in the middle of the Great Hall. Looking around the room, he thought of all of the lessons it taught him. War was terrible. Life was precious. And miracles could happen.

***
End Notes:
Thanks for reading!! Let me know what you think in a review!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=88456