All Creatures Great and Small by Amicably Manic
Summary: Do Dementors collect pensions? Are werewolves treated fairly? What ever happened to S.P.E.W.? How did the giants come to Britain, and who’s going to take them home? Articles taken from several wizarding publications tell the story of the aftermath of the Battle of Hogwarts and the implications of Voldemort’s reign and defeat on the non-humans of the wizarding world, their allies, and their enemies.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1144 Read: 774 Published: 03/16/15 Updated: 05/01/15

1. Prologue - The Battle by Amicably Manic

Prologue - The Battle by Amicably Manic
The following article appeared on the front page of the Daily Prophet for 2 May, 1998:

YOU-KNOW-WHO DEFEATED AT LAST
The Boy Who Lived Triumphs Again

2 May, 1998 – Hogsmeade Village, Scotland

Today the sun rose on the most decisive triumph of good over evil in modern magical memory. Harry Potter, known to many as the Chosen One and the Boy Who Lived faced He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in single combat on the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry shortly before sunrise this morning. The death of You-Know-Who ended an hours long battle between his followers, who call themselves –Death Eaters,” and forces loyal to the late Albus Dumbledore, including a majority of the Hogwarts staff and students.

Shortly before midnight on 1st May, You-Know-You and his forces arrived on the Hogwarts grounds and demanded the release of Harry Potter into their custody within the hour. As the clock struck twelve, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his followers set siege to the castle and its grounds, seeking to kill or capture all those who defied his order. Eyewitnesses report that the Death Eaters in the ranks were outnumbered by all manner of Dark creatures including Acromantula, Werewolves, rogue Dementors, and even Giants, thought to have been banished to the high European mountains after You-Know-Who’s first attempt to seize power.

You-Know-Who himself did not lead the van and chose to remain on the edge of Hogwarts’ grounds well away from the battle. As dawn approached Harry Potter bravely ventured into the Forbidden Forest to face He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named alone. All was feared lost when the half-Giant and former Hogwarts groundskeeper, Rubeus Hagrid, was seen carrying the seemingly lifeless form of the Boy Who Lived from the forest. However, the sorrow was short-lived, replaced quickly by joy and determination as Harry Potter once again arose from his apparent end to defeat the Dark Lord in single combat in the ruins of his former school.

As the dust begins to settle on a violent and traumatic night, it becomes clear that without Harry Potter, his fellow Hogwarts students, the faculty of Hogwarts School, and a mysterious group known as the Order of the Phoenix, our world may have had to suffer forever from tyranny and cruelty. Once again it is Harry Potter, the Chosen One and the Boy Who Lived, who saved our world and to whom we are forever indebted. Without this heroism, bravery, and sacrifice it can be said with certainty that this reporter would not be here to share with you Harry Potter’s final triumph over Darkness.

Hubert Ogilvy – Special Correspondent

The following article appeared on the front page of a special edition of the Evening Prophet for 2 May, 1998:

CONFUSION RIEGNS AT THE MINISTRY
Kingsley Shacklebolt Named Interim Minister of Magic

2 May, 1998 – Ministry of Magic, London

Panic took hold at the Ministry of Magic early this morning when Minister of Magic Pius Thicknesse was reportedly found wandering the rubble in the aftermath of the battle which took place late last night on the grounds of Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. In fact, it was the Prophet’s own Hubert Ogilvy who found Minister Thicknesse and identified him as he made his way into the remains of the once magnificent Great Hall.

Thicknesse, who took control of the Ministry after the disappearance and murder of the previous Minister, Rufus Scrimgeour, last year maintained a long and storied career at the Ministry before taking the top job. Thicknesse joined the Department of Magical Law Enforcement immediately upon graduation from Hogwarts. He rose rapidly through the ranks during You-Know-Who’s first attempt to seize power, receiving several citations for valor until He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s first defeat at the hands of Harry Potter. In his intervening years he took part in numerous high-profile arrests, including that of the late Bellatrix Lestrange nee Black and the infiltration and subsequent trial of a smuggling gang accused and convicted of trafficking various Dragon parts, including organs and even eggs, into Britain. Pius was appointed Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement by his predecessor, Minister Scrimgeour, after the murder of the previous Head, Amelia Bones. Where Mrs. Bones had believed in second chances, Thicknesse preferred a policy of deterrence through punishment. Thicknesse himself signed the order to imprison accused Death Eaters, rather than bring them to trial. In the midst of the crisis surrounding You-Know-Who’s return, this policy bought Thicknesse many allies both inside the Ministry and in public opinion.

This recent scandal, coupled with unpopular policies regarding the treatment of Muggleborn witches and wizards, as well as an alarmingly lax stance on the control and capture of werewolves and giants during his tenure, has turned the Wizarding World against Minister Thicknesse. The now former Minister cannot convincingly explain his presence on Hogwarts grounds, nor has he found any plausible explanation to combat the rumors that he was seen fighting with the Death Eaters and their evil inhuman allies that fateful night. It is clear to all that Pius Thicknesse was no longer suitable to lead the country through the chaotic aftermath of what is now being called the –Second War.”

Shacklebolt, like his predecessor, was appointed under emergency measures to ensure strong and steady leadership in these uncertain times. A highly decorated former Auror, Kingsley Shacklebolt lead the team of Aurors tasked with capturing the notorious mass murderer Sirius Black, as well as assigned to the Muggle Prime Minister as his personal guard after You-Know-Who’s return. An unnamed Ministry official was quoted as saying –Minister Shacklebolt possesses rare bravery and leadership qualities, in the wake of the recent tragedy and uncertainty, he will prove to be the Minister of Magic the witches and wizards of Great Britain deserve.” Further questions about the condition and current whereabouts of the former Minister were left unanswered.

As the Ministry of Magic, its employees, their families, and the rest of the Wizarding community look to move forward from these Dark times, strength and leadership will be necessary qualities. There are no immediate plans for an election to determine who the next Minister for Magic will be, though Ministry spokes wizards are quick to say that it is still early days and that peacekeeping is the priority of the hour. Many witches and wizards polled said that they would like to see Minister Shacklebolt in the post even after his interim tenure has expired.

Only one dark mark exists on the otherwise flawless record of Minister Shacklebolt, and that is his rumored collaboration with the Order of the Phoenix, a group of unknown origin and purpose. Ministry spokes wizards categorically denied the Minister’s involvement in any sinister secret societies, though perhaps the Minister himself may be able to shed light on the group’s membership and activities during the reign of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in the coming days.

Alice Device – Government Affairs Correspondent
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=93442