A "Normal" Life at Hogwarts by Mudbloodandproud
Summary: Alexis Holland is an ordinary eleven year old witch. Her best friends are Albus Potter and Rose Weasley, and with them and new, unexpected friends she learns that there's no such thing as a "typical" day at Hogwarts.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3725 Read: 1909 Published: 09/18/15 Updated: 11/18/15

1. Chapter 1: The Train by Mudbloodandproud

2. Chapter 2: The Sorting by Mudbloodandproud

Chapter 1: The Train by Mudbloodandproud
"Be good, or I'll catch the next train to Hogwarts and beat you black and blue," Seline threatened. Alexis grinned and gave her a hug. Her mother said these sort of things a lot of the time, but there was no real threat behind them.

"I wouldn't dare step on your shoes," she promised.

"Love you, Lex." They hugged again, and she kissed the top of her head.

"Getting emotional?" Lexi teased.

"Oh, pfft." She smiled laughingly as her mother shooed her away.

The platform was clouded with smoke and students. She could see the train through the smoke. In one of the windows she could see her best friend, waving avidly at his family. The train lurched, and she jumped aboard, turning with a swagger and flinging open the compartment door.

"Al!" she exclaimed. He spun around. His hair was as jet-black as his father's, but it was straight like his mother's. He wasn't really that pudgy, but looking at him gave you that feeling that he spent a lot more time reading than running. He wore thick rimmed glasses, and his electric green eyes mimicked those of an owl's.

"Lexi." He smiled nervously. "I was just saying bye to my dad," he explained, blushing.

"I know. Wish I had a window." She grinned at him. He laughed a little, and gestured at the spot across from him.

"Go ahead." She shoved her carry bag into the shelf above, then plopped down, setting the basket she held down next to her. In her lap she dropped the paper sack of snacks she brought.

"Where's James?" she asked, opening the bag. He made a rueful face.

"Why should I know? Off with his friends, I assume." She smiled a little. They had gone to Muggle primary school in the years before Hogwarts, so she knew James relatively well. He was a year older than them, so they were never in the same class, but they'd hang out during their breaks. He was handsome, kind, funny but smart.

She'd always known him to be conscientious of others, but Albus said when he came back from Hogwarts he was like a whole other person. She hadn't seen him at all since he got back, as he left halfway through the summer to visit a friend of his that lived in Hogsmeade. She had a feeling that Al was overplaying his brother's change, but she didn't voice her thoughts for multiple reasons.

The door slid open again and one of Al's cousins peeked in. Her name was Rose Weasley and she was one of Lexi's greatest friends, seeing as they were all neighbors. Plus Rose's father and Lexi's mother had dated a few years after Hogwarts.

Her eyes were a thoughtful chocolate-color, outlined by long black eyelashes. Her hair was a sweet auburn, cascading in curly waves down her back. She was pale, with a splash of freckles across her cheeks and nose. Overall pretty, with an air of one that knew more than half the words in the English vocabulary and was fascinated by even the simplest of them.

"Hey, Alexis," she said softly. In response, the basket to Lexi's right twitched, and a disheveled grey kitten poked his head out. She chuckled. "And Rascal."

"Rosie! Come on, sit down!" Lexi pushed the basket unceremoniously to the floor. A plaintive meow rose up as she patted the spot next to her.

"Quiet, cat," she snapped. Rose simply lifted the little kitten into her arms.

"Don't listen to her, Rascal," she whispered. In response, he began to play with her hair. "My father hinted I might receive a kitten for Christmas."

"Ooh, a kitty?" Lexi perked up at this knowledge. "Hear that, Rassy? You might get a buddy."

"Noo," Albus moaned. "Not another cat! That one already hates me, and he's only been alive for two months!" The girls laughed at his discomfort. She reached across and patted his arm.

"Don't worry, Al. I'm sure any cat Rosie gets will be just as sweet-spirited as its owner. Maybe it'll even show this one how you treat the people that raised you." She gave Rascal a pointed look, then glanced down.

"What've you got in there?" Albus asked, gesturing to the bag.

"Chocolate Frogs, Bertie Bott's, and..." She rummaged around in the bag. "Mm, Acid Pops! Who should I force-feed these to?" She lifted up a package of sinister-looking lolly pops as proof.

"That Malfoy kid, perhaps," Rose mused. She grinned mischievously at Lexi's aghast stare. "What?" She feigned an innocent smile.

"All these years, and I never knew you had a dark side!" she exclaimed. Albus burst out laughing.

"Oh, she has a dark side. Definitely a dark, dark side," he confirmed. Then the door flew open again, and a handsome boy about a year older than them strutted in.

"Who has a dark side?" he drawled. He was irresistible, with rougish black hair that stood up on top of his head. His eyes were a smug hazel. His skin was tan and he carried himself with ease. He was the cutest boy she had ever seen. She hated him at first sight.

"Me," Rose said simply.

"Wow, and no one realized that? My cousin so definitely has a dark side," he chuckled. Cousin? This was James? Had someone taken away the James she knew and replaced him with a decoy? Was he under Imperio? She looked to Albus for help but he just shrugged and gave her an I-told-you-so look.

Then James noticed Alexis. He did a double take, she could tell — and she couldn't help it. She blushed under his gaze. She knew she wasn't pretty in the general way, but people had taken notice before, and she had definitely never been grouped with the "uglies." Her blue eyes sparked with confidence. Her skin was tan from Quidditch, and her short black hair was sleek and shiny.

"What?" she challenged. He grinned again, and she was almost relieved.

"Nothing. Just surprised that my brother has a girlfriend." He smirked, knowing he had thrown the perfect punch.

"Has a year changed me that much? It's Alexis, you smug git," she snapped. He reeled with surprise.

"Lex?" He squinted to get a better look. "Wow, you have changed a lot. But, in both our defenses, it has been an entire year and a little bit more since we last saw each other."

"Yes, I suppose we've both changed." Her voice was cold, and there was a brief silence before he turned around and left without another word.

"What was that?" Rose managed. They both stared with shock at her.

"What?" She raised an eyebrow. Underneath her smile her heart sank with guilt. Maybe she should have been a little kinder. Maybe if she had been more friendly the old James would have resurfaced.

"Uhh, alright." Rose and Al shared a glance.

"Come on, guys. We should put on our robes." She stood and tugged her robes out of her bag. Albus did the same; then he turned and left the compartment.

"I'll find you guys in a few minutes," he promised.
~
Students flooded the narrow hallway as the train lurched to a stop. In their little compartment Rose tucked Rascal away in his basket as Lexi gathered up her stuff.

Albus slid open the door and stepped out first. Then Rose and Lexi followed. They filed in with the rest of the students, slowly making their way to the door.

It was dark outside. She could make out various students on the platform, including a towering giant shouting for the first years.

"Firs' years! Firs' years o'er here!" Hagrid yelled, his voice booming. They joined the crowd around him. Once the older students left the platform he led them to a fleet of little boats on the lake.

The water was calm. They kept their eyes down, focused on the black liquid. Then Alexis glanced up.

"Wow. It's... Amazing."
Chapter 2: The Sorting by Mudbloodandproud
Author's Notes:
Tadaa!
She let out an excited squeal at the sight of the bedraggled hat. Everyone in the hallway turned, staring. For a second, she thought they were just looking at the newcomers, but then the whispers started.

–Yes, it’s him.”

–I can’t believe that the children of heroes are going to our school!”

–James Potter is here, though. What’s the big deal?”

–But that’s Hermione Granger’s daughter! Oh my God, I can’t believe I’m going to school with Hermione Granger’s daughter!”

Professor McGonagall called the first name. Lexi was trembling too hard to hear.

A scared-looking girl slunk up. Then she glanced over and saw Al, who was a whitish-green and shaking.

–Hey, Al, you okay?” she whispered, nudging him. He shook his head, jaw clenched.

–HUFFLEPUFF!” He jumped at the hat’s shout.

–So many people are watching… me! What if I’m not Gryffindor? I’ll be shunned! All the Slytherins would shun me!” he gasped, terrified. She gaped at him, trying not to laugh. The son of Harry Potter thought he was going to be in Slytherin. The idea was completely ridiculous.

–Don’t be such a nitwit, Al! I’ve known you all your life. There’s no way you’d be a Slytherin,” She chuckled, punching him in the arm. –But… maybe you’ll be in Hufflepuff,” she teased. He let out a forced laugh and flicked her on the shoulder.

–Quiet, please, I’m trying to watch,” Rose hissed as a timid boy a tiny bit shorter than her dropped onto the stool, sweeping the hat onto his head. His face disappeared behind it.

–SLYTHERIN!”

Lexi’s heart began to pound. What if she wasn’t in the same House as her friends? What if she was in Slytherin? She could be mischievous sometimes, and cunning others; she possessed nearly no bravery, or courage - she would save herself before anyone else!

–What if-” she began.

–RAVENCLAW!” the hat roared.

–What if we’re not in the same House?” she hissed to Rose.

–We’ll still see each other,” Rose said calmly.

–But-”

–HUFFLEPUFF!”

–Lexi, please, I’m trying to pay attention!” Rose exclaimed.

–Quiet!” someone hissed.

–You be quiet,” Lexi snapped back.

–Holland, Alexis,” Professor McGonagall called. Her stomach churned. Rose prodded her in the back.

–I’m going, I’m going!” she shot over her shoulder, then marched toward the stool with her head held high.

–Is she Seline Holland’s daughter?”

–Do you think she’ll be on her House’s Quidditch team?”


–No wonder she was hanging out with the Potters and the Weasleys, her mom’s nearly as famous!”

–I’ve never heard of her,” one person sneered.

She threw the person a cold look, then plopped herself on the stool and dropped the hat on her head.

–GRYFFINDOR!” it shouted almost instantly.

–WE GOT OURSELVES A BEATER!” shouted a red-headed Gryffindor.

–‘BEAT’ THAT!” yelled her twin brother.

Grinning widely, Lexi trotted over to the table, next to the two redheads.

–Are you guys Weasleys?” she whispered in awe.

–Yah. I’m Jen, and this is my dumb brother, Bax,” the girl hissed.

–We’re George Weasley’s kids,” Bax explained. Lexi nodded, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

–So you guys must be vying for the job as Howarts’ ultimate partners in crime,” she joked. Jen giggled at this.

–So are you a Beater? ’Cause your sister’s pretty good,” she asked.

–Yah, we compete against our mum in Godric’s Hollow, especially after the Ministry put that Quidditch stadium in.” Lexi grinned a little, and she played with her wand under the table.

–I saw you hanging out with our cousins, Alexis. You’re their neighbor, right?” Bax asked. She chuckled.

–We’ve kinda been friends since we were toddlers. Rose’s dad dated my mum for a while a few years after he left Hogwarts and broke up with Rose’s mum. They broke up, and he went back to his old girlfriend, and my mum left Quidditch to become an Auror and met my dad,” she explained.

–And they stayed friends?” Jen laughed. –I don’t think I’d be best buddies with someone that dumped me.”

–Aunt Hermione is okay with that?” Bax said incredibly. –I’m shocked!”

–Actually, they’re better friends than Mum and him.” Jen whistled.

–Ya learn something new every day,” Bax muttered.

–Malfoy, Scorpius,” Professor McGonagall called. Mutters filled the hall. The three of them glanced up at the boy.

–What a stupid name,” Jen snorted.

–Look how jealous Wolfgang is,” Bax nudged her, pointing at a bitter-faced Slytherin. –He’s been the reigning Slytherin for two years now. Ever since he got here, actually. He won’t be pleased, now that there’s a Malfoy. Of course-” his face twisted –the Malfoy’s kinda lost their power after the Battle.”

–SLYTHERIN!”


–To be expected,” Jen joked.

–So what year are you guys?” Lexi asked.

–Fourth. We’re Chasers.”

–Potter, Albus.” She glanced up to see her best friend visibly shaking as he approached the hat.

–Poor kid,” Bax sighed. Jen hit him on the back of the head.

–You were just as scared,” she accused. Lexi giggled softly at the sight of the bickering twins. Then Al sat down and placed the hat on his head.

–GRYFFINDOR!” the hat bellowed. He sighed with relief and hurried to Lexi’s side.

–Yes!” she squeaked among the roars of the Gryffindors, hugging him.

–You have no idea how relieved I am,” he gasped. She nearly burst out laughing at his shocked expression. –I mean, I’m not really that brave! I thought I was bound for Hufflepuff!”

–Maybe it senses how brave we will be, not how brave we are at this minute,” she said thoughtfully.

–RAVENCLAW!” the hat shouted. Under the cover of the cheers, James came over and sat down across from Al.

–Hey, little bro!” he called.

–Hey, James,” she groaned.

–I swear I thought you were going to Hufflepuff, Al. And Lex, weren’t you going to Slytherin?” he taunted.

–You must’ve confused me with yourself,” she retorted.

–The only problem I have with Slytherin is that idiot Wolfgang. It’s not just his stupid name, or the fact that he doesn’t even have a last name, it’s just how stuck-up he is! Honestly, he thinks he’s a Dark wizard!”

–You wouldn’t know anything about being stuck-up, would you?” she said innocently. He rolled his eyes.

–You-”

–Weasley, Rose.”

–Hey, it’s Rosie’s turn!” James whispered excitedly.

–I think that’s obvious,” she said icily.

Rose climbed onto the stool, her face pale against her auburn hair. She spotted them at the table, managing a smile before the ruined hat dropped over her eyes.

–GRYFFINDOR!” Rose rushed to their sides, a glowing smile on her face.

–Hey cuzzie,” Bax greeted.

–How come I didn’t get a welcome?” James demanded.

–’Cause you’re a cheeky little upstart,” Jen stated. He made a sad puppy face. Lexi winked and stuck her tongue out at him.

–Aww, James, y’know it’s true,” she teased. He made a face at her.

–Would you two shut up for a minute while Professor McGonagall speaks!” Rose snapped. Embarrassed, both of them turned to face the head table.

–With the help of our wonderful students, new and old, hopefully this year will be a productive year at Hogwarts,” the professor finished. Food appeared, overflowing, on the plates. Lexi’s mouth watered at the sight of the food, and she grabbed her spoon and dumped a mound of mashed potatoes on her plate.

–Wasn’t there a song or something?” Rose said through a mouthful of steak.

–Yah, but McGonagall got rid of it. She didn’t like how ridiculous it was,” Jen snorted.

–Were you here when Dumbledore was here?” Al said excitedly. Lexi hit him over the back of the head with the butt of her fork.

–Don’t be stupid, Albus. They’d have to have been going here for like fifteen years!” she laughed. James actually started choking on his food, and Bax thumped him on the back. –They probably heard it from one of the older teachers, right?”

–Yah; Slughorn, the old gossip. Anyways, speaking of teachers, what’d you guys think you’ll do best in?” Jen asked.

–My mum and dad both say Potions was their favorite subject; I think I might do well in that,” Lexi commented.

–With the potions teacher that Slughorn replaced?” Bax snorted. –I hear he was a slimy git!”

–My dad’s dad was American so he went to the American School of Magic. My mum’s parents were both French, but my grandma’s sister had moved to Britain, so when my grandpa, who was a Muggle, died of some Muggle disease, my grandma took my mum, who was like two, and moved to Britain to be with her sister. Both of them raised my mum, but they agreed my mum should still go to Beauxabatons.” Jen nodded, then began to choke on the bite she had just taken. Bax thumped her on the back. –Anyways, what’re you guys’ favorite subjects?”

–Charms,” they both said at the same time.

–Defense Against the Dark Arts,” James announced.

–I think I’ll do well in Transfiguration,” Rose decided. Albus thought for a moment.

–Uh, no idea?” he offered. They all laughed.

–Either way, I can’t wait to meet our new Defense teacher. Our old one retired last year,” Bax yawned, then glanced ruefully at his empty plate.

–Well, she’s right up there,” James pointed out. Lexi glanced up, following his finger to a young woman with a porcelain complexion, shining violet eyes, a heart-shaped face, lustrious black hair highlighted with tendrils of gold, and rainbow robes that shifted colors when she moved.

–She must know some serious magic,” Bax breathed, entranced.

–Sure she isn’t the Transfiguration professor?” Lexi doubted.

–No, McGonagall insisted that she stay Transfig professor. Lots of people were pissed about that,” Jen chuckled.

–I wonder what her name is,” James breathed.

–Something very pretty,” Albus said nervously.

–Y’know that she probably wasn’t born looking like that,” Rose said, exasperated.

–Look at that hair, though!” Bax exclaimed.

–I think she’s an ex-Auror,” James commented. –It would explain why she’s teaching Defense, and why she’s so good at disguising herself. She’s probably just looking nice to demonstrate her Transfig skills.”

–Well, either way, it’s time for desert and I think we should start focusing on the food,” Lexi said through a full mouth.

She helped herself to chocolate pudding, licorice and apple pie, then sat back with a full belly.

–Does anyone else feel like a food bomb?” Albus moaned.

–You’d know about eating too much, Al,” Lexi teased, poking him in the stomach. –But yah, I feel like I might explode.” Professor McGonagall stood up front.

–Follow your prefects back to your common room,” she instructed.

–Teddy Lupin’s our prefect,” Bax explained, standing. A gangly fifth year was already calling for them.

–First years, follow me!” he said kindly. She gave him a nervous look, then filed in after Al and Rose.

–Hello, Alexis,” came a dreamy voice to her right. She gave the speaker a long look. It was a girl, with large, unfocused grey eyes, pale skin, a round face, and thick, cascading black hair.

–It’s Lexi, and you are…”

–Alice Longbottom,” she replied, staring up at the ceiling.

–Hey, Alice!” Rose came up from behind them. –Sorry, James managed to get his foot stuck. I have no idea how he did that.”

–Magic is everywhere,” Alice reminded them in a faraway whisper.

–Don’t you mean stupidity?” Lexi snorted.

–It’s not exactly magic,” Rose laughed. They jumped onto one of the staircases, then held onto the rails, fascinated, as the stairs moved.

–Aren’t they amazing?” James called from higher up on the stairs. –I love these staircases!” He let go of the railing, then stood in the middle and jumped up and down. He tumbled backwards, right into Lexi.

–Really?” she snapped, shoving him away.

–What if you fall off the end of the staircase while it’s moving?” Rose pondered.

–You die, silly,” Alice said knowingly. Albus shuddered.

–I’ll remember not to do that,” he sighed. They stopped in front of the portrait of a fat, pink-clad lady.

–Password?” she asked severely.

–Fatuous nincompoop,” Teddy Lupin replied. Alice burst into massive howls of laughter. At the sight of her, Lexi, Rose, and Albus all collapsed on the ground, guffawing.

–Err, is there something funny about that?” James said seriously. His eyes sparked with amusement.

–Nothing! Just that - you’re such a - fatuous nincompoop!” she shrieked. He giggled.

–I’m the fatuous nincompoop? Me? Excuse me, ya fat little nincompoop-” he broke off, unable to contain the giggles that escaped him.

They stumbled through the portrait hole, collapsing into armchairs. It was a small, homely room, with a huge fireplace and a roaring fire, and several armchairs and tables to do homework on.

–Blimey, you guys really like the password,” Jen observed.

–C’mon, Jen, it is pretty fun to say fatuous nincompoop,” Bax chuckled.

–Girls to the left, boys to the right!” the prefect gestured towards two staircases.

–C’mon, guys,” Rose yawned, standing. They said goodbye to the boys and trotted up the stairs.

Their room was the first doorway they saw. It was Rose, Alexis, Alice and a girl named Genevere.

Their stuff was already on their beds, with Rascal was curled up on her pillow.

–Should we stay up for this Genevere?” Rose asked.

–I bet two Galleons that she missed the train,” Lexi offered as she unpacked her trunk into her wardrobe.

–Either way, I’m going to bed,” Rose announced as she changed into a nightgown. Lexi withdrew her own Muggle pajamas. They had jumping, wide-eyed puppies on them.

–I’ll take that bet… I think she’s lost. Or maybe she’s in the common room, or exploring the castle,” Alie mused. She looked ghostlike in a floating white nightie.

–I think,” Lexi yawned, climbing into bed,–that there’ll be time to explore the castle… Tomorrow.”
End Notes:
Sorry, it's kinda long. :/
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=93530