Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Severed Souls by Magical Maeve

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Maeve had heard her fair share of human and inhuman groans, and she was pretty sure that what they were hearing was the human variety. She looked to Felicia, wondering if their arrival would give her the courage to get her wand out and accompany her up the stairs. She didn’t much like the idea of releasing a wounded and potentially dangerous individual on her own, and Draco was not going to be any help. Another jumble of disembodied moans floated down the stairs, making them all wince.

–Felicia, do you have your wand with you?” She looked hopeful, a scared witch with a wand was better than one without.

–I always carry it. You know exactly what you’re going to meet around here and you wouldn’t want to be without a wand when you meet it.”

–Good, because whatever’s making that noise needs sorting out, whether it’s good or evil, and there’s no one here but us to do it.”

–I’ll come with you,” Felicia said, nodding as if to convince herself more than Maeve. –Two against one, maybe.”

–Three.” Draco was no longer rubbing his forehead. In fact Draco was no longer looking that bemused. The veil that had hung over his eyes since the bunker seemed to have cleared a little. –Three against one.”

–You are in no fit state,” Maeve pointed out immediately, –nor do you have a wand.”

–But I think I know…”

–Know what?” she probed gently, not wanting to force any kind of harmful memory to the surface right at that moment in time.

–I think I was kept here by someone.” He blinked away more fog. –I think the person that took me from Hogwarts brought me here.” A shadow crossed his face, darkness of the first order.

This made Maeve more nervous than she cared to admit because if Draco was right, that person could still be around. –Are you sure it was here? You have been Imperiused so it would be easy to make a mistake.”

His eyes moved towards the stairs, climbed them and then lingered on the corridor at the top. A familiar flash of memory: water running, steam, the coldness of a damp bedroom. He shoved the memory away quickly as he began to see blood mixed with the water.

–It’s no mistake,” he said, and just as surely as if a Whizz-Bang had gone off in his brain he remembered, a kaleidoscope of images rushing at him until he came to a mental brick wall: the front door of Grimmauld place. Beyond that his memory refused to pass. –I was here. There’s a bathroom up those stairs. It’s rubbish, but it’s there. –

Felicia nodded. –He’s not wrong. Took me an age to clean it.”

Maeve watched him take a few deep breaths, uncertain which version of Draco she was seeing. Confused Draco was definitely gone, but he hadn’t been replaced by the usual arrogant Draco. This was something new, a more tentative, more considered young man. She wondered how long it would last, something of Severus’ cynicism rising up in her.

–It was Malachy Meany, your relative, Meany.” He looked almost accusingly at her. –Polyjuiced to look like Roderick Rampton, your friend.” The accusation became more solid.

It took a few seconds for Maeve to add this to the store of knowledge she already possessed, but when she did found that she knew exactly who was groaning. Throwing her caution to one side she took the stairs two at a time and she was already on the upper landing before she heard the others attempt to follow her. Once there she waited for a repeat of the groans, but it seemed the prisoner had run out of energy, or hope, and was now silent. Impatient for results and unwilling to search every cranny for clues, she placed the tip of her wand against her temple and uttered a shrill,–Superius Sensus.”

With a horrid sense of heightened clarity she could see the upper floor of the Shrieking Shack in all its hideous detail. The dirty wallpaper looked grimier, the worn carpet more threadbare and, worse still, she could now hear the woodworm working steadily through the inner fabric of the building. Felicia’s footsteps reverberated behind her like minor earthquakes as her companions caught up.

–Be quiet!” she ordered, and her own words bounced too loudly off her ear drums. Slowing her breath to quell its sound, she strained to hear past the woodworm to find something that might be more human. At first she picked up creaks from the joists, criss-crossed with the scattering of claws on the attic floor, all perfectly normal sounds for a building in such decrepitude. But then, under all of that, there was something else. A dry rasp, something like a voice, but not quite making sense. She walked in the direction she thought it was coming from and sure enough it began to get louder. Felicia and Draco didn’t budge, unwilling to risk another barked order.

The voice was louder now, but still no more than a whisper. Without the super sensory charm it would have been completely inaudible. It was definitely trying to form words. It sounded like the owner was asking for something, a repeated plea that Maeve strained to hear. When the words finally revealed themselves she knew her guess had been correct. Only one person would ask for sausage and mash at a time like this.

–Ron!” she yelled, looking at the wall in front of her and wondering how to get beyond it without harming the person currently lodged in its depths. There was nowhere else he could be, no room beyond this exterior wall, unless…

–Revelo austium.” There was a tearing sound as wallpaper came apart, the fading pattern obliterated, and a puff of dust where the wall had parted to reveal a small opening that was half the height of the rest of the level. Beyond it was a short passage that terminated in a shabby door. Stooping low, Maeve struggled to the end and touched the knob with her wand. It refused to budge at the first few spells she cast, but eventually gave in to a particularly strong unlocking charm. It swung open outwards to reveal a huddled figure, its red hair no longer bright and its features made haggard by hunger.

–Oh, Ron,” she gasped, ducking beneath the low door to reach the stricken Weasley. He looked at her and she thought he had been treated to the Imperius curse in the same way that Draco had for there was no recognition in his eyes. His eyelashes were crusted with either sleep or dried tears, and they blinked slowly at her. He’d only been gone six days, but in that time hunger had bit hard at it features. His dried, cracking lips also suggested a lack of water during his period of captivity.

Putting her wand to his mouth she conjured the gentlest trickle of water she could and watched as he sipped, slowly at first and then with more haste as the liquid loosened his lips. She let him drink his fill and then put away her wand. She could feel Felicia and Draco looming in the corridor behind her and turned to ask Felicia to get her bag from downstairs.

–Ron,” she said, looking at his bewildered eyes. –Do you know who I am?”

–Course I bloody know who you are,” he spluttered, before breaking into a fit of coughing. He didn’t clarify exactly who he thought she was so she pressed him for her name. He looked at her as if she were mad before giving her married name. With some relief she began to ask even more practical questions; was he badly hurt, could he move, when had he last seen Meany. He responded with; badly enough, yes and he couldn’t remember but if felt like bloody weeks. The grumpiness was the best thing she could have hoped for, a grumpy Ron was an unbroken Ron, albeit with a mass of bruises on his face and what looked like bad rope burn marks on his arms.

–Let’s get you out of here,” she said, gingerly reaching for his arm, not wanting to cause him any further pain.

–Thought you’d never ask,” he muttered, allowing himself to be guided carefully from the cubbyhole and into the narrow corridor. He stumbled badly as they made their way to the wider landing and the relative comfort of the main bedroom. Memories everywhere, she though, looking at the bed with genuine distaste and not a little nausea. Draco stood in the doorway with his arms folded and a thoughtful expression on his face.

–What’s he doing here?” Ron asked, casting Draco a devil’s glare.

–Same as you, Weasley,” Draco snapped back. –I was brought here against my will.”

–That’s enough.” Maeve intervened with a warning glance at Draco, who was more au fait with the current situation than Ron.
Draco seemed to be about to continue the argument, but then had second thoughts. –Can I do anything?” he asked.

–To help?” Maeve was incredulous.

–Yes, to help,” he said, a glimmer of the old haughtiness beneath his words.

–I think Meany has gone. Severus told me Voldemort has sent him to work with the Walpurgis crowd, but can you check the boundaries of the building to make sure the charms are holding and there’s no trace of any other magic. Do not go outside.”

He nodded and was gone. She didn’t trust him much, but right at that moment she knew she needed to trust him a little. Felicia replaced him in the doorway with Maeve’s bag in her hands. It didn’t contain the full force of her potions kit, but it would do to mend most of what had happened to Ron. She took it from the other witch, who smiled and said she’d put some food on because the poor lad looked half-starved.

After a good deal of charms and potions application, with a constant low-level grumbling from the patient, she declared him fit again, with a note of caution to do nothing strenuous for a few days while he healed.

–I don’t think bed rest is likely, do you?” he asked, his voice suddenly weary. –Where are the others?”

Maeve gave him a short version of recent events and he nodded throughout. There was much he had missed and at the end of it he expressed an immediate desire to re-join Harry and Hermione.

–I’m not sure where they are at the moment,” Maeve admitted.

–We parted ways in a bit of rush. They were heading for a safe house in Cambridge, but with the way things are they could be anywhere.”

–How are we supposed to get in touch with them,” he asked.

–We’re not, but Roderick will and then he’ll pass messages on for now.”

–Bit of a long-winded way of doing things,” he said, his nose twitching as smells began to rise from the kitchen, He was about to get his repeated wish for sausages. –If you want my opinion we’re too split up, all over the place. Snape here, Harry there, Rampton running Hogwarts. Feels like we’re not going to be that effective.”

–I know, it worries me too, but until we have destroyed the final Horcrux we can’t risk all of us being one target. Ah, here’s supper.” She stood as Felicia hove into view with a plate of steaming food in her hands.

–Brought it to you rather than making you manage those stairs,” she announced, putting it down on the chest of drawers which she plumped a pillow and generally fussed around him.

–You’re as bad as my mum,” Ron protested as she shoved an extra pillow behind his back, although he didn’t look overly displeased to be having a fuss made of him.

–I’ll be downstairs,” Maeve said, heading for the door. –Get some sleep, Ron, and we’ll see what the morning brings.”

Draco was sitting on the old sofa, staring at nothing in particular. He gave her a quick nod. –Charms are in place. Can’t find anything that shouldn’t be there.”

–Thank you,” she said, slumping into one of the chairs. Her relief at finding Ron only went so far to dispel her general malaise. –How are you feeling?”

–Tired,” he admitted, his eyes flicking at her and then away again, as if there was something there he didn’t want to face.

–You should get some rest too,” she said. –There’s a spare room upstairs made up. You take that. I can sleep down here in case anything happens.”

He shrugged his shoulders. –I’ll stay here. Makes sense for us to stick together.”

Does it, she thought, wondering when he was going to realise that this wasn’t who he was. It was entirely possible that something other than the Cruciatus and Imperius curses had been used on him. Some kind of mind-modifier perhaps, or an Obliviate gone wrong. Whatever it was, it was unnerving, especially as she now felt a crushing weight of responsibility towards him, with both his parents gone. She wasn’t intimate with his family tree, but there didn’t appear to be anybody too keen on claiming him.

–I’ll make some coffee,” she offered, –Do you want anything to eat?”

He shook his head and she settled in for a night of uncomfortable silence.




The following morning saw Severus back in his office with a flabbergasted Percy Weasley in front of him. It had come as a surprise to both of them, but the more Severus had thought about it the more it had made sense. It had puzzled many people, the faith Albus had placed in such an outwardly irritating individual, not least the Weasley family, who had ceased to consider him their son. No one was quite sure what had caused the initial rift between the young man now standing on his rug with a puzzled air about him and the rest of the Weasleys, but it had only grown over the years as slight had piled upon slight, disappointment upon disappointment. But Albus had seen something in Percy that he had found valuable and Severus was about to exploit that same quality.

Loyalty was a rare thing in such troubled times. He could count on one finger, let alone one hand, how many people he believed were unfailingly loyal to him, and that person was his wife. Albus would have had to use considerably more digits, and one of those digits would have been Percy Weasley. Percy needed a leader, a man in charge. He needed to be given a task so that he could excel at completing it perfectly. That was what had made him such an ideal prefect and head boy and then personal assistant to Albus; unquestioning loyalty and a streak of perfectionism that ran right through him. So here he was, and Severus was offering him a job.
–And I would work directly for you and you alone?” Percy asked. Percy had never really made his mind up about Severus Snape, but he had trusted Albus Dumbledore, who in turn had trusted Snape and so, in Percy’s mind, he could complete this little circle of confidence.

–That is correct.” Severus remained seated, his hands in front of him on the desk, a study in statesmanship.

–Here?”

–Correct.”

–In this office?”

–No, Mr Weasley, I think we would both find that a stretch of our patience and our sanity. You will have your own smaller office next door, within shouting distance should the need arise.” And he was sure the need would arise.

–And my role?”

Severus managed not to say dogsbody, though in truth there would be quite a bit of the dogsbody about the role, not that there was anything wrong with that. Dogsbodies were an important part of society; they made everything tick.

–Will be similar to the role you carried out for Professor Dumbledore at Hogwarts.”

–But with no children,” Percy mused. He hadn’t overly liked the children and with the Rampton fellow now in place he wasn’t sure he would have liked the adults that much either. On this point both he and Severus were in complete agreement.

–None.”

–Then yes, I should like to accept the position. When can I start?”

He held out his hand to shake on the arrangement and then dropped it quickly when he realised the man opposite him was not going to reciprocate the gesture.

–Your office is ready for you so as soon as you want. Shall we say straight after lunch?”

Percy flinched; he had been expecting to give a notice period in at Hogwarts and this would mean walking out of his job, leaving people in the lurch. He considered protesting, but one look at Severus’ slightly raised right eyebrow quickly quashed that idea. There would be no notice period and he would need to send for the rest of his belonging by owl.

–Straight after lunch,” he repeated. –Very good. I shall see you then.”

Percy was halfway to the door when the atmosphere dropped several degrees. There was a cold wind blowing through the corridors and it quickly became apparent what the cause was as Voldemort stepped into Severus’ office, his face alive with success. It was fortunate for Severus that the Dark Lord was too buys appraising Percy to see the momentary look of horror on Severus’ face as Nagini slid into the room behind him. As Voldemort tried to remember where he has seen Percy before, Severus concentrated on removing the slightly wide expression from his eyes and straightening out his mouth so that his face appeared as its usual, expressionless self. With this accomplished he removed himself from his chair and went to greet him properly.

–Severus, I see you are already established in your new home. It suits you rather more than a school.” He stepped around Percy with a nod and approached Severus. –Now perhaps you will tell me what you are doing, or should I say not doing, with the Death Eaters?”

–Leave us, Mr Weasley,” Severus said, –and close the door.”

Nagini flicked her tail into the room and coiled herself around the lamp in the corner, her eyes glancing about her new surroundings as Percy slipped out.

–I am issuing orders today,” Severus said, managing to not look at the very much alive snake. –It was prudent that we rein them in. Their behaviour was becoming reckless, a risk to our cause.”

–You think I did not control them adequately enough.” His fingers strayed across the map on the wall, perhaps missing the moving ink that showed terror on the move.

–I think that someone else was perhaps trying to control them.” He barely took a breath, watching the corrupt fingers turn from the map to the bookshelf.

–A traitor?”

–More than one.”

–How many?”

–I haven’t uncovered the detail yet. It is only a matter of time.” The snake moved, drawing his eye.

–She is looking well, is she not?” Voldemort was also looking at Nagini, but with rather more warmth in his eyes.

–She always does, My Lord. A picture of health.”

–Indeed, and yet there was an incident.” Nagini, as if sensing she was the subject of their discussion moved to Voldemort’s side and allowed his hand to rest on her head.

–An incident?” He forced his pulse to steady itself, drove the disappointment away.

–She was poisoned, in the tunnels at Rampton Court, tunnels that I have abandoned now I know they are unsafe. Had Pettigrew not been on hand she would have certainly died. You may add that to your list of things that need to be clarified, so that I can exact my revenge; who tried to kill my snake?”

–Of course. Consider it done.”

–I will consider it done when it is actually done. Now, the Death Eaters, you were about to tell me in great detail what your plans are.” He sat down in Severus’ chair, arranged his robes meticulously around him and waited.

It was a very long two hours. When Voldemort finally left, having approved of the plans in principle but requesting there be more death and an inquisitorial squad set up to root out any undesirables, Severus closed his office door and locked it with a charm. What he needed was some air, air that wasn’t tainted by Voldemort’s words. An inquisitorial squad was the last thing he wanted to set up, especially one with the prime function of rooting out half-bloods and expelling them from the magical world. Apart from anything else it was a dreadful waste of experience and intelligence. Still, it would have to be managed, and sooner rather than later. He’d make it Percy’s first opportunity to prove himself.

What really made him need air was the fact he had failed to kill Nagini. The snake had swallowed the goat. He had watched, hidden, as she writhed in her death-throes, or so he had believed at the time. When she had become still he used a heightened version of a simple detect life charm and had found nothing. He had not thought that Pettigrew was not with Voldemort, had not though anyone was there to bring the snake back from death. He had made an error of judgement and it bothered him far beyond the simple fact of the snake’s continued existence. There was no more poison. If, when, they next attempted to kill the snake it would have to be a more obvious method than poison.



Remus and Tonks had rallied their sorry bunch pf troops and were breakfasting on tinned fruit and something called Weetabix that Tonks had picked up in the local shop. It was an odd combination that not everyone was entirely happy with. The feast from the previous night was forgotten, the bag empty of anything worth eating. They were waiting for instructions from the Order regarding a safer destination and so were huddled together looking generally miserable.

–Something will come through soon,” Tonks said, as Hermione pulled out a pack of playing cards in an attempt to provide a distraction. –They will have been working on a plan through the night to get Neville to safety, although they don’t know about Harry of course. Got to keep that to ourselves.”

Harry shook his head. –Makes me useless.”

–Not entirely,” Remus interrupted. –Perhaps you would like to step outside for a moment, Harry. There’s something I need to talk to you about.”

–And you can’t talk about in front of us,” Hermione put the cards down and looked at them. –Do we have secrets now?”

–Unfortunately, Miss Grainger, we do. It is generally for your own good.” He looked to Harry, wondering if he would take the same stance, but harry just shrugged and got to his feet.

–Come on then. Can’t be any worse than sitting around here.”

There was still a chill in the air, a remnant of the clear skies from the previous night, and Remus found himself stamping his feet to get some warmth moving through him. Harry didn’t seem as bothered by the cold as they walked a little way from the tent.

–What is it?” he asked when he decided they were far enough away not to be heard.

–This.” Remus put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a small envelope. Harry stretched out his hand and Remus tipped the ruby into it. Harry instantly recoiled, closing his hand at the very last minute so the ruby didn’t fall into the dirt. He could feel corruption run through him like an electric charge, the hairs on his arms standing on end. His scar screamed and he was very grateful when Remus held out the envelope and he was able to drop the jewel back into it.

–Is that what I think it is?” he asked, out of breath at the shock of it.

–A Horcrux, albeit a very unconventional one. This is a ruby from Godric Gryffindor’s sword. I don’t know the full story of this particular jewel, although I can confirm that Maeve has been wearing it in that necklace of hers and it has caused her some harm. She has taken on You Know Who’s personality and it was not to her husband’s taste.”

–I would have thought that would have been exactly to her husband’s taste.” He found it too easy to forget they had formed a truce at the bunker and the old comments were a hard habit to break. Remus shook his head at Harry and he was instantly contrite.

–How do we destroy it?”

–Severus was trying to put it back in the sword, but he didn’t get the chance. I think he believes with the jewel back in the sword we stand a better chance of driving out the soul fragment.”

–And where is the sword?”

Remus looked pained. –That’s just it. We removed the sword from Hogwarts as it fell. I put it in my bag and now it’s gone.”

–It’s been nicked! I’ll bet it’s Rampton.”

–No, Harry, I don’t believe it has been stolen. As you may know, the sword goes where it is needed. I think that someone else has need of it more than we do and so we must destroy the Horcrux without it.”

–And we still don’t know how to destroy it?”

–Not a clue. The plan was to give it to you, however it’s clearly going to have the same effect on you as it had on Maeve so I shall hang on to it for now. Once we meet up with her and Severus again we can get our heads together and try to figure it out.”

–Hey!” Tonks was waving at them from the tent. –There’s been news. We’re moving. Come on you two, whatever it is can wait.”