Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ginger Men by Vindictus Viridian

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A giftie for the Ravenclaws!
In the kitchen of Order headquarters, Molly bent to trade a tray of raw biscuits for a tray of baked ones. Hearing footsteps, she called out, “Sample one from the plate and tell me what you think.”

A certain quality to the silence behind her make her rethink the sound of the tread. Too light for Kingsley or Sirius, too quiet and precise for Tonks, too even for Alastor, too loud for Remus… She turned with her hot tray of ginger biscuits and blinked in surprise. Feeling it was best to go on as she’d begun, she simply added, “Good evening, Professor.”

Snape’s eyes glittered with what she hoped was amusement. He took a seat at the table. “They smell wonderful, as always.”

It was such an ordinary thing to say that she made an encouraging gesture with the tray before putting it down. “New recipe. I cook when I’m anxious.”

He took the lumpy shape she’d cut freehand before wheedling Kreacher into handing over a cookie cutter. “I do something similar myself. The hospital wing is unusually well-stocked this term.” He nibbled, smiled a little, and took a proper bite. Molly decided to take that as a compliment and sat with him after lifting the new biscuits onto the plate as well.

Sirius, as master of the house, had threatened terrible consequences if anyone invited Snape for a meal at Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place. Molly did not consider one biscuit to be a meal, and she disliked being bossed by a wizard considerably younger than she. Besides, she and Arthur had corresponded with Professor Snape a good bit over the years, and felt they knew him at least a little. “Tea?”

“No, thank you. I’m only here to speak with Potter about some remedial work. The biscuit sweetens an unsavoury task.” He took another thoughtful bite, seeming in no great hurry. “I suppose it would be unprofessional to explain the matter in front of his friends.”

His voice held a note of satisfaction at the idea. Molly bounced back up. “I’ll fetch him for you if you like.”

He waved long fingers to indicate she should stay. “I refuse any responsibility for burnt biscuits. Stay at least until they are out.”

Putting off Harry’s unhappiness and finishing her baking both appealed to her. She sat again, then cast about for something to say to the grim man across the table from her. “And how has your year been?”

Snape swallowed, appeared to think very carefully, and said in a dry tone, “Capital.”

It had been a foolish question, but he still seemed amiable enough. None of her children, from Bill to Ginny, would ever have believed Professor Snape acting almost human. Molly chided herself for the thought. Of course he was human. “Aside from rising Dark wizards, meddling Ministry witches at Hogwarts, and remedial lessons for Harry, I guess?”

And that almost looked like a smile. “Precisel--”

“What are you doing here, Snivellus? Besides pretending you’re welcome.” Sirius strode in, already in a full fit of the sullens.

In theory, Professor Snape was as welcome here as any other member of the Order. In theory, Sirius had yielded his right to say who could come and go at the Black house. In theory, both were grown men, but Molly had heard them skirmish in ways Ginny was too old for. One of Molly’s childhood adventures had involved two dogs and one food bowl. She snatched up the plate on the table reflexively, pressing one ginger man on each wizard, before the bloodshed could begin.

Snape narrowed his eyes slightly, examining Sirius from head to toe and back again, then dismissed him. He tidily bit the head from the new biscuit in his hand. “Thank you, Molly; it is quite as good as the last.”

In Molly’s experience, few men would drop food to duel. She thought each wizard’s wand hand was full at present, and hoped neither was left-handed.

“Molly. I came to tell you that there was an owl from St Mungo’s. Arthur will be home in time for dinner “ so no doubt I should not spoil my appetite with this excellent dessert.” Sirius offered a paper to Molly and a sideways smirk to Snape.

Molly ignored this latest sally and the glitter of Snape’s eyes, though this time it definitely wasn’t amusement. She snatched up the letter, scanned it, and thrust it back at Sirius. “Put that somewhere, will you? I have to fetch out my biscuits. And I’ll want my kitchen back soon, so I’ll collect Harry for you, Professor, and””

“Harry?” Sirius stiffened, head lifting. “What do you want with Harry?”

“The latest in Dumbledore’s special treatment of Potter is that the boy shall have extra lessons with me. I was told to discuss it with Potter privately.” The tone was tart, the expression hostile. Molly turned away with the oven mitt, hoping Sirius would be sensible for once.

“Anything you would say in front of a parent, you should say in front of me.”

Molly gave up that hope and fished out the last tray. “Sirius, if Dumbledore said…”

“I won’t violate any secrets. I just don’t want this greasy git alone with my godson if I can possibly avoid it.”

If she walked out of the room right now, what would happen? “Eat your biscuits,” she told them, and went to get Harry. The sooner he was there, the sooner she could get back to work. Arthur would be back soon! The thought sped her up the stairs to where the boys played chess.

Still, a thought nagged, a vague guilt. Perhaps she would send a tin of biscuits back with one of the children for Professor Snape, to make up a little for never inviting him to dinner. Could she trust any of them to deliver it intact? Ginny, probably. He’d written the fewest letters about her. Molly made up her mind to put together the gift later that evening. It was a bit late for Christmas, but she doubted he’d mind.