Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Resurrection Sword by gallopingurl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks for the reviews, guys! They inspire me to take time out of my busy week to post the next chapter :)
Rose’s words were repeated in his head over and over as he slowly climbed the staircase to the boy’s dormitories. He still found it difficult to believe that someone would abandon their eleven-year-old son because he was sorted into the wrong house. It was absurd! How could anyone treat a child like that?

His thoughts came to a sudden end as he opened his dormitory door.

There, in the middle of the room, was Scorpius. He was lying on the ground in almost the same position as Jacinta had been when she was tossed out of the compartment. Only he was looking up at the three surrounding him, not down, and shouting at them too.

“…don’t know why the hat didn’t put me in Slytherin! Why does it matter? I’m in Gryffindor the same as you!”

“Don’t be daft. You-Know-Who burned the hat when he attacked Hogwarts, my brother told me its been acting real wonky ever since. I say this is just another one of it’s crazy mis-sortings.”

“I’ll agree with that, did you know a couple of years back it put a Flint in Hufflepuff?”

“I remember my dad talking about that, he says the man got all shirty with McGonagall “”

““ tried to order her to perform a re-sorting “”

““ ended up sendin’ his daughter to Durmstrang, he did.”

“I still say we chuck this one back in the dungeons where he belongs …”

Albus had had enough. He reached the boy who was speaking in two strides and grabbed the neck of his shirt. He pulled him over to the wall and pushed him against it, pressing his hands to the boy’s elbows to keep him there.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he growled.

“Just making sure that we all know where we stand “”

“What in the name of Merlin is that supposed to mean?”

“I just want to see to it that we aren’t going to die in our sleep “”

Albus drew back his arm and punched the boy in the side of his face.

“What was that for?!” the boy accused.

“Don’t you ever insult him again!” he hissed.

The other boy merely looked back at him, holding his hand to his cheek.

Albus glared back at him, before turning his back to him and striding across the room to where his trunk lay at the foot of a bed. He turned back to look at the other two boys still standing over Scorpius, but staring at Albus. He became aware that one of them was Lysander Scamander, who he had spoken to at the feast.

“That goes for you, too,” he said to them both.

They didn’t answer him, but went to their own beds. Scorpius remained where he was for a moment, then stood and made his way to his own bed, nearest the door and next to Albus’.

Albus set about putting his belongings away in his bedside table and drawers. The other boys all had the hangings drawn around their beds when he had finished. He changed into his pyjamas and put his robes in his trunk ready for the next morning. When he stood up, he saw Scorpius standing before him, looking at his bare feet.

Neither of them said anything for a few seconds, then “

“Thanks.”

Albus waited until Scorpius looked him in the eye.

“You’re welcome,” he said when he finally did. He smiled, before turning and climbing into his own bed as Scorpius climbed into his.

As Albus lay there, he thought about the day that had just passed. It seemed forever since he was standing on Platform 9 ¾ that very morning, eagerly awaiting his arrival at Hogwarts.

He shifted onto his side and closed his eyes. He lay there for a while, thinking about lessons the next day and what they would be like. He was just starting to drift off to sleep when he heard something.

It took him a moment to figure out what it was, but his heart broke as he came to realise what it was.

Scorpius was crying himself to sleep.


* * * * *


The next morning, Albus woke earlier than the rest of the boys in his dormitory. He went to the bathroom and showered, then came back into his dorm and changed into his new Gryffindor robes as the others began to stir. He packed his bag for the day and was just heading out the door when someone called out behind him.

“Excuse me!”

Albus turned and looked at the boy who had called him. It wasn’t Lysander, and it wasn’t the boy who he had pinned up against the wall the night before, but the other boy he didn’t know.

The other boy studied him before he spoke.

“I’m sorry about last night,” he said hurriedly.

Albus stared at the boy before speaking himself.

“It’s not me you should be apologising to,” he said, turning again for the door.

“You’re Albus Potter, aren’t you?” said the boy. Albus whirled away from the door at the question. How did this boy know who he was?

“I am. Why?”

“Your father’s Harry Potter!”

“So what if he is?” said Albus.

“You look just like him…it’s no wonder Ed freaked out when you punched him last night.”

What in Merlin’s name was he talking about?

Albus must have given his thoughts away in his face, because what the boy said next was totally unexpected.

“You’re not saying you don’t know?” he spluttered.

Albus frowned. “Know what?” he said cautiously.

“Merlin’s toad! You’re kidding, right?”

“Who’s kidding?” said the boy Albus had punched last night as he walked out of the bathroom. Ed, Albus thought this boy had said his name was.

Him! ” said the boy, pointing at Albus.

Albus was getting impatient.

“Unless you’re going to tell me what you’re talking about, I’m leaving,” Albus said, turning to face the door again.

Ed looked at him and then at the boy.

“What are you talking about, Les?”

He doesn’t know who he is!” exclaimed the boy called Les.

Albus thought this was stupid. Of course he knew who he was, how could he not?

“Of course I know who I am! I’m Albus Potter!”

Ed’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. Then his expression changed to one of triumph.

“I knew it!” he yelled, pumping his fist in the air. He scrambled to where Albus stood and held out his hand.

“Edward Carmichael!” he said happily, positively jumping on the balls of his feet.

Albus thought for a moment before extending his hand and shaking Edward’s. Edward just about pulled his arm out of its socket as he shook his hand enthusiastically. He thought his arm was going to come off completely as the other boy shook his hand, too.

“Leslie Boot,” he said. “My dad went to school with your dad, said he was the best wizard he ever met!”

“Er, okay…” replied Albus, unsure of what else to say. “Look, I’ve really got to go, I said I’d meet my cousin and friend in the Great Hall for breakfast five minutes ago…”

“No problem, we’ll see you later, Albus!” said Edward.

“It’s Al!” Albus called back as he left the room at last.


* * * * *


Albus was nearing the Entrance Hall when he heard shouting ahead of him. He quickened his pace, and was met by pretty much the same sight as the night before.

Scorpius was again on the floor. But it wasn’t Gryffindors surrounding him this time. No, it was his Slytherin companion from the previous day and another boy, also a Slytherin. Thanking Merlin that this time there was only two to deal with, although they could be three if their size was any indication, he hurried down the stairs, dumping his bag on the floor as he reached the bottom.

“OI!” he shouted.

Goyle turned in time to see Albus before he was shoved against the stone wall.

“What are you playing at?”

“He’s betrayed his family!” spat Goyle.

“No, he’s betrayed you, and I must say I think he was bloody right to do so!” Albus retorted.

Goyle did not answer.

“If I see you clobbering him again, I’ll make sure you regret it!” Albus said finally. Don’t know how I’m going to do that, he thought silently, but I’ll find something.

Albus let go of Goyle and watched him retreat to the dungeons with his friend. Then he turned to face Scorpius and held out his hand to help him to his feet. Scorpius took it and stood.

He looked at his feet, just as he had the night before.

“I guess this is thanks again, huh?”

“Don’t mention it,” replied Albus. He went to pick up his bag and headed towards the door to the Great Hall. He stopped and thought for a moment, before turning and looking at Scorpius.

“You’re welcome to come sit with us if you want to,” he said.

Scorpius paused for a second, then nodded and followed Albus through the great double doors and into the hall.

Albus caught sight of Rose and Jacinta at the Gryffindor table almost as soon as he entered the hall. He headed up the opposite side of the table, Scorpius behind him, and sat down across from them. Scorpius remained standing, then seemed to decide nothing was going to happen and sat down next to Albus.

Rose and Jacinta merely said “Hi,” as they were not expecting Scorpius to accompany Albus to meet them. Albus loaded his plate with bacon, scrambled eggs and toast, and began to eat. Scorpius just looked around the hall, not touching the food around him. Albus noticed this and swallowed his mouthful.

“Come on, mate, eat something. You’ll feel heaps better,” he encouraged.

Scorpius shrugged and reached for a plate of pancakes. He had just drizzled maple syrup over the top and taken his first bite when the ceiling was suddenly crowded with owls.

Albus looked up and saw three owls headed towards him. One landed in front of him, another in front of Rose, and the last before Scorpius. Albus put down his fork and opened his letter hastily, as did Rose, until a horrid sound filled the hall and he dropped the letter and almost fell off his chair.

“GRYFFINDOR! GRYFFINDOR INDEED! WHAT IN MERLIN’S NAME DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING? DID YOU THINK THAT BY BREAKING TREASURED TRADITIONS THAT YOU WOULD GAIN OUR RESPECT?”

Albus regained his balance on his chair. He didn’t even have to look around to find the source of the noise.

A scarlet envelope lay on the table next to Scorpius’ plate

“OF ALL THE LETTERS TO RECEIVE LAST NIGHT! YOUR FATHER HAD AN OWL FROM GOYLE AT TWO O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING! TWO O’CLOCK! HE’D HEARD IT FROM HIS SON THAT YOU HAD BETRAYED THE FAMILY TRADITION STANDING FOR HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF EVERY SINGLE MALFOY BEING SORTED INTO SLYTHERIN. AND THEN YOU GO AND TRASH IT ALL WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT HOW THIS MIGHT AFFECT YOUR FAMILY! CONSIDER YOURSELF NOT PART OF OUR FAMILY ANYMORE! WE ARE NO LONGER YOUR FAMILY!”

And before, their eyes, the scarlet envelope burst into flames, it’s ashes falling and scattering on Scorpius’ plate.

Albus had never heard anything so horrible in his life. They had done it. They had really done it.

“Scorpius “” began Rose.

But he did not let her finish. He pushed himself back from the table and ran up the aisle between the tables and out of the hall.

Albus sat there stunned for a moment, then looked at Jacinta and Rose across from him. At once, all of them stood and ran after Scorpius out of the hall, Professor Longbottom close behind them.

They didn’t speak until they were in the Entrance Hall.

“You’re his friends?” asked Professor Longbottom.

“You could say that,” replied Albus uncertainly. Rose and Jacinta nodded.

“Okay, well, in that case, he might react better to you than to me. Any idea where he may have gone?”

“I’m afraid not, Nev “ er “ Professor,” said Albus, correcting himself. It was going to take some time getting used to calling Neville ‘Professor’.

Professor Longbottom merely smiled at Albus’ stumble.

“Well in that case, we might want to try Gryffindor Tower first.”

“With respect, sir,” said Rose, “I hardly think that after being disowned by his family for being in Gryffindor, that he would find consolation in Gryffindor Tower of all places…”

Jacinta nodded her agreement. “But we should still try anyway,” she said confidently.

“Right,” nodded Albus.

They hurried up the marble staircase, and had a good run up the moving staircases with none of them changing routes unexpectedly. They reached the seventh floor and moved quickly through the corridors to the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“Blibbering humdinger,” said Albus, giving the password to the Tower. All four of them climbed through the portrait hole into the common room

“Al “ er “ Mr Potter, please go and check the dormitory for Mr Malfoy,” said Professor Longbottom after they had checked the common room from top to bottom and found no sign of Scorpius.

Albus headed up the stairs and into the dormitory. He saw no immediate sign that Scorpius was in the room, but he noticed that, unlike this morning, the hangings were drawn around Scorpius’ bed.

He walked over slowly and gently pulled back the hangings of the four-poster.

“Scorpius?” he said quietly.

Scorpius lay on his bed with his head in his pillow. He did not move, or speak, or otherwise acknowledge that he knew Albus was there.

“Scorpius?” Albus said again.

Scorpius lifted himself onto his elbows and dragged his sleeve across his eyes. He turned over to face Albus.

“What do you want?” he whimpered.

“I came to check that you were okay,” replied Albus softly.

Scorpius turned away from him. “Like you would care, your father didn’t disinherit you “”

“No, he didn’t,” agreed Albus. “But that doesn’t mean I don’t care “”

“What would you know about caring?” demanded Scorpius, still facing away from him.

“I know that my family cares not only about each other, but others outside their family, as well,” said Albus. “I am no different.”

Scorpius remained silent.

“Do you want to talk?” asked Albus, sitting on the end of the bed.

Scorpius didn’t speak for a minute, then he sat up and turned to face Albus.

“What do you want me to say?” he said quietly.

“Whatever you want to say, tell me how you’re feeling if you want to,” answered Albus. “Rose, Jacinta, Professor Longbottom “ we all came after you because we care about you,” he said.

“Then why aren’t they up here?”

At this, Albus actually smiled.

“Professor Longbottom is a teacher, he doesn’t come barging up into people’s dormitories. And as for Rose and Jacinta, well, they’re girls. They can’t exactly come running up into the boy’s dorms, can they?”

Albus thought he saw a smile creep into Scorpius’ cheeks, but it disappeared quickly.

“You all came up here for me?” he asked, unsure of himself.

Albus nodded.

“Come down and join us for breakfast, mate, I wasn’t kidding when I said you were welcome to,” Albus said, standing up. “That is, if there’s any left,” he added, smiling.

Scorpius thought for a moment. Then he stood and exited through the dormitory door after Albus.

“You can call me Al, if you want,” said Albus as they made their way down the stairs. “All my family and friends do.”

“Y-You’re saying you’re my friend?” Scorpius asked, not quite ready to believe what he had just heard.

“Only if you want me to be,” replied Albus. He stopped just out of view of the common room, as they were nearing the bottom of the staircase.

“Thanks…Al,” said Scorpius.

Albus smiled at him. Then he saw the one thing that convinced him that Scorpius was truly happy to call Albus a friend.

He had a grin on his face that went almost from ear to ear.


* * * * *


Albus, Rose, Jacinta and Scorpius made their way back to the Great Hall to collect their bags, as everyone had left breakfast by now and was currently in class. Then they followed Professor Longbottom to his office to receive their timetables, which would have been distributed to them that morning in the Great Hall.

Seeing that they had Herbology first, they walked with Professor Longbottom out of the castle and across the grounds to the greenhouses.

As it was their first lesson, Professor Longbottom spent most of the period talking to the class about what they would be covering in first year Herbology. Although he wouldn’t let them go near it, he was also content to show them the venomous tentacula.

He was just instructing them on the best way to distinguish magical fungi from non-magical ones when Jacinta put up her hand.

“Yes, Miss…?”

“Gritton, sir,” said Jacinta.

“Yes, Miss Gritton. You have a question?”

“Yes, sir.” She held up what looked like a fat, gold coin. To Albus it looked similar to a Galleon. “What’s this?”

Professor Longbottom smiled proudly, and walked over to where Jacinta sat at her bench, holding the coin.

“Ah, Miss Gritton, what does it look like to you?” he said, still smiling at her.

“It looks like a Galleon, sir,” she replied. “But isn’t it a bit inconvenient to leave this much money lying around?”

Professor Longbottom chuckled. “I think you will find that it has obviously fallen out of my pocket,” he said. “But tell me, if you look closer, does it look…real…to you?”

Jacinta turned the coin over in her hands, the entire class watching with interest.

“I’m afraid I don’t know, sir,” she said quietly. “I only saw a Galleon for the first time less than a month ago. I’m Muggle-born, you see. It does look a bit different, but I can’t pinpoint why.”

“You are quite correct that it is different to a regular Galleon, Miss Gritton. Five points to Gryffindor for pointing that out, despite being unfamiliar with a normal Galleon.

He held out his hand, and she placed the coin on his palm. He held it up for the class to see.

“Miss Gritton has already said that this coin, while resembling a Galleon, does not look exactly like one. That is because it is not a Galleon, but a fake.”

“Isn’t that illegal, sir?” called a blonde haired girl from the back of the class. “Counterfeit cash?”

The Slytherins in the class sniggered.

“Right again, Miss Aylwood. Five points to Slytherin. Yes, counterfeit money is illegal, but this is not intended to be spent. Although I might add that in a way, this,” he showed the coin to everyone, “is also illegal, but it was not I who made it.”

“Who made it, sir?” asked Rose.

Professor Longbottom looked back down at her, smiling triumphantly.

“How coincidental that you would ask that, Miss Weasley,” he said happily. “This coin, along with about thirty others that are identical, was made by your mother.”

Rose looked like she couldn’t believe her ears. “But if it’s not intended to be spent, why did my mother make thirty fake Galleons?”

Professor Longbottom looked as if he was positively delighted to be sharing this information with his class.

“These coins were made by Hermione Weasley, or Hermione Granger as she was at the time, to make organising secret meetings for an illegal organisation less obvious to those who were not members.”

At this, Rose looked shocked.

“But my mother is almost the highest-ranking ministry official in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement! Why would she break the law?”

“The Department of what?” Jacinta whispered to Albus next to her.

“Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Ministry office. I’ll explain later,” he added in response to her confused expression.

Professor Longbottom was smiling sadly at Rose.

“Miss Weasley, your mother broke the law along with thirty or so other students of Hogwarts, which I might add included Professors Patil, Macmillan, Creevey and myself, to try and save the lives of those students.”

Albus could see Professor Longbottom’s eyes shining with tears.

“But “ how “ why?” stammered Rose.

The whole class was now hanging on his every word. Professor Longbottom looked around at them all with a solemn expression on his face.

“I suppose I do not need to tell you that without Hermione Weasley and one of her friends, many of you, in fact, all of us, would not be sitting here today,” he said quietly.

They all looked up at him with frightened expressions on their faces.

“Erm, sir?” spoke up a small Gryffindor girl behind Albus. “Who was Mrs Weasley’s friend that you spoke of?”

Professor Longbottom sighed, and did not answer straight away. When he did, he looked straight at Albus as he said it.

“Harry Potter.”

Albus stared back at Professor Longbottom as the whole class turned in their seats to stare at him.
Chapter Endnotes: Please review, people! Whether its constructive critism, ideas or just saying a simple "good" or "bad", I appreciate them all!
I have a lot going on right now (though thankfully not as much as before), but I will try and post the next chapter as soon as I can.