Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Man in the Mask by MJ_Padfoot

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, it's been forever since I've updated this story. So, without further adieu, here's an update! xo MJ
Man in the Mask
Chapter Four: Promise for the Prince


Harry was the last to leave Godric’s Hollow that day. He had stayed behind while the others went back to the Burrow. He had planned on visiting his parent’s grave before he returned to the Burrow. As Harry slowly walked to where his parents laid to rest, he thought of what was to come for him and Ginny, Teddy and even Ron and Hermione. Would everything turn out as a semi-normal life? Would he truly be at peace for the first time in his life? Harry didn’t know. He didn’t have any of the answers that he was searching for.

Once he had reached the grave, Harry stared at it for a long time. His thoughts went from Ginny to Teddy to what the future held for him. Harry eventually sat next to the headstone, still lost in his thoughts. He didn’t realize how long he had been sitting there until the sun started to go down. Realizing that he was running out of time, he glanced over his shoulder to make sure that he was alone. Turning back to the headstone, Harry whispered, –I wish you both were here. We did it—we defeated Voldemort. I only wish that both of you were here to celebrate and mourn with all of us. Mum, Dad . . . I love you. I’m sorry that both of you died because of me.”

Holding back his tears, he continued, –I wish that you both could meet Ginny. She’s amazing, and I’m sure that you both would love her. She looks just like you, Mum. I think that we’ll marry in a few years if she’ll have me.” He paused for a moment, imagining Ginny in a white dress. The wedding would be beautiful but it would be missing several important people. Finally, Harry whispered, –I’m so sorry that all of this happened. I’d give anything to have you both here.” Harry didn’t know how long he stood there. Before he knew it, night had fallen. Harry stared at his parents' grave lost in deep thought. Gaining his senses back, he Apparated back to the Burrow.

At the Burrow, Harry found Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sitting in Ron’s room. They were discussing 'Harry’s hallucination of Snape' as Ron liked to call it. Before entering into the room, Harry paused at the door to listen.

–How would he even be able to see Snape, Ginny? It isn’t logical.” said Hermione, rather annoyed. –If Snape was a ghost, we would’ve seen him too, but we didn’t.”

–I know, Hermione. But Harry wouldn’t make something up like this. He wouldn’t lie about something like this, especially after everything we all have been through.” Ginny said. She was sitting on the floor, leaning against a chair. Hermione was playing with Ron’s hair as he lay in her lap on his bed. Harry knocked on the door before he entered the room. Everyone fell to silent as he walked in. –Harry, you’re back!” said Ginny. She jumped up and kissed him.

–We wondered when you were going to be back,” said Ron as he sat up, giving Ginny a look that Harry knew all too well. Harry grinned and sat in the chair that Ginny had been leaning against. Ginny sat on the floor and leaned against Harry.

–I wanted to stop at my parents' grave. It took a little bit longer than what I expected,” replied Harry.

–It’s fine, Harry,” said Ginny. –We knew you’d come back eventually. Anyway, we were just talking about Snape. Any theories on why you were the only one who could see him?”

–No, but I’m going to find out why. I’m planning on going back to his flat today or tomorrow. If any of you want to come . . .” Harry’s voice trailed off.

–Actually, Harry,” said Hermione, –I’m going to Hogwarts tomorrow to see what I can do to make up for last school year. I won’t make it if I don’t graduate from Hogwarts.”

–That’s not true!” Ron said, his ears turning bright red. –You’re the smartest witch of the century! They would be stupid not to give you a job at the Ministry, especially since you helped fight You-Know-Who.”

–Voldemort; His name is Voldemort, Ron,” said Harry. –You’ve got to get over it. He’s gone and there is no point in being afraid of saying his name anymore. Besides, the Ministry took the taboo off of Voldemort’s name two days ago.”

Ron muttered something that sounded like an apology, but Harry didn’t hear him. He was lost in his thoughts about the Ministry. After he, Ron, and Hermione had left Dumbledore’s tower, Kingsley Shacklebolt, now the new Minister of Magic, had asked Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville to come be employees of the Auror Department. They were to be assigned to helping clean the remaining damage of the war. Harry, Neville, and Ron had accepted. Hermione hadn’t given Kingsley an answer since she was still investigating the option of returning to Hogwarts. Kingsley said that he would be in contact with them very shortly about trainings and debriefings for rounding up the rest of the remaining Death Eaters. Harry, who hadn’t been listening, returned his attention to Hermione.

–I’m sure that Professor McGonagall wouldn’t mind if I came back. She might even let me help with Prefects.”

–I’m sure that she will. I mean, honestly, she’d be stupid if she didn’t,” said Ron, who looked at Harry in hopes that he would agree with him.

Harry, who caught this just in time, said, –He’s right, you know.”

–I guess we’ll see,” said Hermione.

–Don’t be stupid,” said Ginny. –Why wouldn’t she say yes? It’s not like you’ve ever broken a rule before.”

Hermione blushed. They all knew that wasn’t true. –Yes, but Ginny—”

Harry didn’t hear what Hermione was about to say because a loud CRACK had interrupted their conversation. They all jumped at the sudden noise and Harry, out of habit, pulled out his wand. Ginny got up and opened the door ajar. Turning back towards them she said, –No one is there. I bet it came from downstairs.”

As Ron, Harry, and Hermione all got up, another CRACK came from downstairs. Ron said, –Let’s go see what that was.”

When they all arrived downstairs, they found Mrs. Weasley covered in glass, looking out the window. Her mouth slightly opened. –Mrs. Weasley? What’s wro—” started Harry.

She looked back at them and said, –Stay here.” Grabbing her wand, she stepped over the broken glass and ran outside. Before anyone could ask her another question, they all watched her run outside, yelling, –GET AWAY FROM MY FAMILY, YOU—”

As they all watched Molly outside, Hermione shrieked, –It’s the Dark Mark!” Pulling out his wand, Harry ran outside. He was followed by the others. Looking around, Harry could only see black. Night had fallen, which made it rather hard to see anything in the distance.

CRACK.

The group that had Apparated all looked confused. Kingsley Shacklebolt and other Ministry employees had Apparated into the Weasley yard. Molly, who was starting a curse, had her wand pointed towards Kingsley. The Ministry employees started to form a barrier between the Minister and Mrs. Weasley. Kingsley, who had pushed through the barrier, said, –MOLLY! Molly, it’s okay. It’s me. It’s Kingsley.”

Molly stopped for a moment, then walked up to Kingsley with her wand pointed squarely at his chest said, –Who did Alice Longbottom first kiss?”

Remaining calm, Kingsley answered, –After she turned me down, she went for your husband, Arthur, in her fourth year at Hogwarts and kissed him. You’re still upset about that, Molly?”

Slowly, Molly lowered her wand. –I had to check, Kingsley. You understand, of course—especially with all of the Death Eaters still on the loose.”

Kingsley nodded. –Of course I do, Molly.

–And I’m not upset about it anymore.”

Kingsley raised his eyebrow but decided to not comment. Instead, he said, –What happened exactly?”

–I was in the kitchen doing the dishes when two people—”

–Death Eaters, no doubt,” said one of the employees.

Molly nodded and continued, –Apparated into the backyard. They weren’t here for very long but then one of them stuck their arm up and a green light shot out from their wand. Then the Dark Mark appeared and they were gone.”

–Hm,” said Kingsley. –It’s just like the other stories that we’ve heard.”

–Other stories?” asked Harry.

–Yes, the Daily Prophet is doing an article on it tomorrow. We just can’t seem to figure out what it means. No one has died when the mark has appeared, but that doesn’t mean that it won’t happen. We’ve been doing our best to round up the remaining Death Eaters that were seen at the battle. But so far, we’ve only found a handful,” Kingsley said solemnly.

–What can we do to help, Kingsley?” asked Harry. He could feel his heart pounding. Catching the rest of the Death Eaters and putting them away in Azkaban would mean that Harry could finally have some peace and quiet for once.

–I was going to owl you tomorrow, but since you asked,” Kingsley said with a grin, –I was wondering if you, Mr. Weasley, and Mr. Longbottom would stop in my office on Thursday to begin Auror training.”

Ron and Harry looked at each other, both smiling. –Absolutely,” said Ron.

–Excellent. Now, Miss Granger, have you made your decision?”

–No, not yet but I’ll know soon. I’m going to be speaking with Professor McGonagall tomorrow to see if I can return.”

–Well, if you run into any problems, please tell Minerva to come speak with me.”

Hermione nodded. –Thank you, Minister.”

–Well, we'd best be off. Hintze, get rid of the Dark Mark before the Daily Prophet shows up again.” A tall, lean young man stepped forward and muttered something as he pointed his wand at the Dark Mark. Within a second, it was gone.

–Goodnight, Kingsley,” said Molly.

–Night, Molly. Back to the Ministry, everyone.” And with a loud CRACK Kingsley and the employees were gone.


~*~


The next morning, Harry woke up earlier than the others. He got up, quickly dressed, brushed his teeth, and headed downstairs to grab a piece of toast. After Harry had eaten a couple of pieces of toast, he scribbled a note to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny saying that he was going to Snape’s. He didn’t want anyone to come with him just in case he had been imagining things. Leaving the note on Ron’s nightstand, Harry went outside and Apparated to Snape’s flat.

It was chilly when Harry arrived at the flat. Despite the cold and his wish for having a jacket on, he was glad that he came. After opening the door and walking in, Harry said, –Hominem revelio.” Nothing happened. Was Harry just imagining things? Had he really hallucinated and seen Snape? Harry wasn’t sure. Stay calm, he thought to himself. Just take a quick look around and if he’s not here, then I’ll go back to the Burrow.

Harry searched every room except the room where he had seen Snape. As he slowly opened the door, Harry poked his head in. No one was there. Sighing, Harry opened the door all the way and was about to walk in.

–Potter, what are you doing here?”

Harry jumped and pulled out his wand. He didn’t know what to say, so he stared at Severus Snape.

–Um, well, I . . . I came back. The others didn’t believe me.”

Snape looked irritated. –Of course they didn’t believe you, Potter. You’re the only one who is supposed to see me.”

–Really?” Harry said with relief. –So, I’m not hallucinating or anything?”

–No, I’m afraid not.”

–Brilliant.”

–Look, Potter. Let’s go sit in the study and I’ll explain why you can see me.”

Harry nodded and followed Snape into what was his study. It was the exact room that Harry had first seen Snape in the other day. Snape sat—hovered (Harry couldn’t tell)—in the black leather chair closest to the fireplace and Harry on a dingy couch that needed to be re-padded.

Snape stared into the fireplace for a long time before he spoke. –You know, I never stopped loving your mother.”

–I know that,” said Harry. If they were about to talk about Snape’s undying love for his mother, then Harry wanted to leave immediately.

–So, you understand that I never meant for your mother and father,” he said rather harshly, –to get hurt by the Dark Lord.”

–Yes, I do. I saw the memory.” Harry recalled what seemed to be a lifetime ago of seeing Snape’s memories in Dumbledore’s office.

–Very well, then. So I presume that it is safe for me to start when I died.”

–When you died?”

–Yes,” said Snape. His eyes looked sadder and lost in thought for a moment. –Yes, when I died.”

Harry leaned forward and listened to Snape very carefully. Snape told him of how he met Dumbledore and his mother when he was crossing over. He told him of how his mother requested him to tell Harry the full story of what had happened. –So you see,” continued Snape after talking for some time, –when I agreed to Lily’s conditions, I had to come back as a ghost that only you could see.”

–How is that possible?”

–It is a very deep magic like what saved you that night when the Dark Lord attacked. It isn’t a magic that is common knowledge among wizards today. Dumbledore said that there had only been one other case that he had ever known for this to happen.”

–Who was it?” asked Harry.

–His sister, Ariana, came back to help Dumbledore.”

Harry didn’t say anything. He had always wondered what Dumbledore had meant when he said that the dead truly were never gone from the ones that they loved.

–I see,” said Harry.

Snape paused for a moment before speaking again. –Harry, I must ask a favor of you. I need you to promise me that you will listen to everything that I have to say. I’m not asking for your forgiveness. Just for you to listen. Will you do that?”

–Yes, I will.”

Looking relieved, Snape leaned (or what appeared to be) against the chair. –When your mother and I were at Hogwarts, something happened. I started hanging around the wrong crowd, you could call it. From there, I lost all trust with your mother. But more than that, I lost her love.”

Snape paused and was silent for a moment. –Potter, there’s a Pensieve in the cabinet. Open it and then you’ll see what I’m trying to explain. This won’t make sense unless you see it for yourself.”

Getting up, Harry walked over to the dusty cabinet and opened it. The Pensieve was sitting on the only shelf inside. Turning to Snape, he said, –What more is there to the story? You loved my mother. She didn’t love you. What more do you have to explain to me?”

–Look at the Pensieve,” Severus said quietly.