Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Closure Times Three by McBurns

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Summary:  In the years following Voldemort’s demise... Harry has unfinished business with Umbridge. Dudley’s life takes an unexpected turn. Fred is not forgotten.

 

Closure Times Three

 

1 -- Justice

Mr. Weasley shook his head. –Harry, and the rest of you, now listen to me. They will not believe you. It would be your word against hers.”

He had met them at number twelve Grimmauld Place as Harry had requested. At first he had been shocked and outraged when they told him. But now he was thinking with his Ministry hat on.

–But we all heard her. She sent the dementors. It's six against one,” argued Harry.

–Right!” Hermione, Ron and Ginny echoed their agreement.

–Who are the other two?” asked Mr. Weasley.

–Luna and Neville,” replied Harry. He noted some alarm in Mr. Weasley’s expression so he hastily added, –But we have not discussed our plan with them yet.”

–Well that’s good. I’d keep it that way for the time being,” advised Mr. Weasley.

He continued, –The Ministry will say you are just seeking revenge because of what she did at Hogwarts as High Inquisitor and Headmistress. She was dismissed and publicly humiliated for her failure on that score -- not to mention Fudge’s. It was a long time ago, relatively speaking, given more ‘recent’ events. And don’t forget, she has already been through an inquiry by the Wizengamot for her actions while You-Know-Who was in control of the Ministry. And for that the Wizengamot demoted her significantly. It would look like you are piling on because you had wanted her sacked.”

–She should have been sacked!” exclaimed Hermione.

–Sent to Azkaban, more like,” snarled Ron. Again, the others voiced their agreement.

Mr. Weasley continued, –I agree. Be assured you’d have Kingsley and many others on your side, but she still has too many pureblood allies on the Wizengamot. We'd be outvoted on this. Let it go. Kingsley will make sure she won't ever be given a position of real power.”

Hermione frowned. –What happens when Kingsley is eventually replaced? It’s not a guarantee. This isn't justice. There has to be something we can do to persuade them.”

Mr. Weasley sighed. –I don't know what you can do. You definitely need more evidence,” he emphasized. –I do know that if you bring charges without sufficient proof, you could divide the Ministry and lose what we have gained against pureblood prejudice, which, I needn’t remind you, has remained very strong for over a thousand years.”

Ginny said reprovingly, –You’re lecturing us now.”

–Sorry. Sorry,” said Mr. Weasley sincerely.

Ron cursed softly. –We can’t let her get away with it.”

–I'll have to inform Kingsley about this. Harry, promise me that you and the others won't do anything rash without talking with me first,” Mr. Weasley implored.

Before Harry could answer, Hermione exclaimed loudly, –We’ve got to come up with more evidence!” She clearly didn’t want the meeting to be over.

Mr. Weasley was slightly taken aback. –Well, while you’re all considering that, I think I forgot to mention that Umbridge has written a proposal to allow the dementors back as the guards of Azkaban.”

–What?” –No way!” –She’s a monster!” There was an eruption of outrage from everyone, except Hermione. She seemed not to have heard, obviously deep in thought.

Mr. Weasley held up his hands. –Don’t worry. There is no support for that at present. The most popular proposal is to hunt them all down and banish them to some deserted island -- like that would work. There are certainly a lot more job openings now for Aurors… to guard Azkaban,” he added absently.

Hermione cleared her throat and returned to the real subject. –I think we need to get someone else's testimony against Umbridge.”

–Who else is there?” asked Ron.

–Draco Malfoy, of course,” said Hermione with an ‘it’s obvious’ tone in her voice.

Another chorus of –What?” erupted from the others.

–Remember, there were several others with us in Umbridge’s office,” observed Hermione. –Having Draco's testimony will provide the credibility we need. He was on the Inquisitorial Squad.”

–In addition to being a Death Eater,” said Ron sarcastically.

–Well, not then. That was later,” corrected Harry.

–He's still a foul git,” growled Ron.

Hermione and Ron began to bicker. Ginny shook her head.

Mr. Weasley said, somewhat exasperated, –Please, I don’t have time for this. Where is this leading?”

They all looked at Hermione, but it was Harry who spoke. –Hermione is right. We need Draco’s help. He owes me… owes us. We saved his life from the Fiendfyre in the Room of Requirement, and again later during the Battle of Hogwarts, and most recently with our testimony at his trial for being a Death Eater.”

–He won't meet with us,” argued Ron.

–We won't know until we try,” insisted Hermione.

–I'm against it,” Ron said stubbornly.

–I think I should meet with him alone,” said Harry thoughtfully, as if to himself. He couldn’t forget that Draco had avoided identifying them all at Malfoy Manor. That’s why he, Ron, and Hermione had testified on Draco’s behalf at his trial.

Ginny had been quiet the longest. Finally she spoke. –I agree with Harry. But … I think we need a completely different strategy.”

They all looked at her.

She continued. –Look. Dad’s right. Just testifying against her, even adding Draco, isn’t going to be enough. After everything she did while the Ministry was under Voldemort’s control, the Wizengamot did nothing more than demote her a bit.”

–So what do you suggest?” asked Harry and Mr. Weasley together.

Ginny outlined her plan.

When she was done and they had agreed, she said, –Oh, and one more thing, please don’t tell Mum.”

Mr. Weasley smiled. They all nodded knowingly.

…

Dolores Umbridge entered the Leaky Cauldron. It was almost deserted. The barman was absent-mindedly cleaning a glass.  There were two or three other customers here and there nursing drinks. She scanned the room and saw Draco alone at a back corner table. He nodded to her and she made her way over.

–Draco, how nice to run into you,” she said rather too loudly. Then much more quietly, –Why did you want to see me? You said it was extremely urgent.”

–Won’t you join me?” he said conversationally. Then he hissed quietly, –We don’t need to put on a show. Sit down.”

She continued to stand, whispering, –Why didn’t you come to my office in the Ministry?”

–I don’t trust the new regime,” he said curtly. –There are informants and listening charms everywhere. This is more discreet.” He paused, and then said slowly, –I need to warn you.”

–Warn me?” Umbridge sat down.

–Harry Potter is planning to bring charges against you for attempted murder,” Draco said slowly and deliberately.

Umbridge yelped, –What?” and then more quietly croaked, –Are you serious? On what grounds?”

–For sending the dementors to Little Whinging to suck out his soul the summer before you came to teach at Hogwarts,” answered Draco smoothly.

Umbridge stared but didn't say anything.

He continued, –Don't you remember telling us after we had caught them, Potter and his gang, trying to send messages to Dumbledore using the fireplace in your office? Draco stared intently at Umbridge, but she remained silent. –No? Let me remind you. You said, ‘Fudge never knew I ordered dementors after Potter last summer.’ You said, ‘somebody had to act’ -- to stop Harry from continuing to say the Dark Lord had returned and helping Dumbledore destabilize the Ministry against Fudge. You said, ‘I was the one who actually did something about it’.” Draco’s gaze at her was penetrating.

Umbridge remained silent but was clenching her fists and her eyes were darting frantically from side to side. Finally she said, –Did I?” her voice trembling.

Draco went on. –Yes. We all heard you say you sent the Dementors -- Harry and his gang plus myself and the Inquisitorial Squad. Harry is planning to get his old gang members to testify against you. He is planning to call the Inquisitorial Squad as hostile witnesses -- except, of course, for Crabbe, who unfortunately died fighting for the Dark Lord at the Battle of Hogwarts.”

Draco smiled and waited.

Umbridge looked pleadingly at Draco. –You aren't going to testify against me are you? You are pureblood like me.”

Draco leaned back in his chair. He sniffed, –You have to understand there is a lot of pressure on everyone to disavow any actions that aided the Dark Lord after he returned, even if indirectly or unintentionally. Remember, they already brought charges against you that resulted in your… demotion.”

–I was following the Minister’s orders!” hissed Umbridge.

–Of course you were,” Draco offered sympathetically. –But that’s what I’m trying to tell you. We all know Pius Thicknesse was under the Imperius Curse, but you were still charged by the Wizengamot. So you see, I can’t promise that the Inquisitorial Squad won’t testify against you. Warrington and Bulstrode are not that reliable. Remember, you yourself didn’t hesitate to name Ministry officials that you suspected of supporting the Dark Lord to help your own defense, right? Why wouldn’t they do the same?”

–But it would still be my word against any witness,” insisted Umbridge. –I could say I was just bluffing about sending the dementors to get Potter to tell me where Dumbledore was. It was just to show Potter how forceful I could be.”

Draco shook his head sympathetically. –Clearly your intent to use the Cruciatus Curse on Potter wasn’t enough persuasion…” his voice trailed off.

Umbridge blinked. –It was justified under the circumstances!” she said through gritted teeth.

Then he continued, –Yes, but unfortunately, their testimony is not all you’re facing. Potter said he would ask the Ministry for an inquiry to find the dementors that received and followed your orders. I understand the dementors want to be reinstated as the guards of Azkaban. They will probably think that cooperating with the investigation will help them achieve their goal. Potter is now the wizarding world’s greatest ‘hero’.” Draco said the last word with obvious derision and concluded, –If he asks for an inquiry, he is going to get one.”

Umbridge now looked panicked. Draco noticed she hadn’t seen the irony in the dementor inquiry since she was currently the lone voice in the Ministry supporting their return.

–How did you find this out?” Umbridge suddenly asked.

Draco smirked. –If you can believe it, Potter told me himself. He came to me and asked me to testify against you and to get the others on the Inquisitorial Squad to do the same. He had some insane idea that I would do ‘the honorable thing’.”

Umbridge looked surprised. –What did you tell him?” 

–I told him I would,” replied Draco matter-of-factly.

–You what?” Umbridge exclaimed with shock and alarm, her eyes bulging.

Draco held up his hand, –Calm down. Calm down. That was only to put him off his guard and buy time. I said he shouldn’t bring the charges or ask for inquiry until I could contact the Inquisitorial Squad and get back to him.”

Umbridge looked a little hopeful.

Draco squashed that by saying, –Look. He won’t wait long. I want to assure you he is determined to bring you down and nothing is going stop him pursuing his plan. He was as angry as I have ever seen him. I think the pureblood thing and your precious Muggle-Born Registration Commission is part of his motivation. He just ‘loves’ Mudbloods and Muggles,” Draco cooed sarcastically.

Umbridge looked desperate but determined. –What can I do?”

–You simply can't allow Potter to bring the charges against you, can you?” offered Draco looking very helpfully.

Umbridge was obviously deep in thought. –No… I… Can't,” she answered slowly and emphatically.

She paused. –You came to warn me. Will you help me?”

Draco leaned in close. –What do you have in mind?” Draco said with real interest.

Umbridge leaned in even closer and said very determinedly, –Memory charms. Fatal ‘accidents’ would attract too much attention. We'll have to do them all -- Potter, his gang, and the rest of the Inquisitorial Squad. You arrange to meet with Potter’s side. Tell them you want to discuss the testimony. Invite them to your home. It will be safer and easier there. Offer them drinks containing a sleeping potion. When they are out, perform the memory charm. Make it extra strong even if it might do some damage. We don’t want any ‘undesirable’ memories coming back later.” She smiled now. –I'll contact the rest of the Inquisitorial Squad and take care of their memories myself.”

Draco looked concerned and pulled back. –This is very risky. What's in it for me?”

–I'll get you a job in my office at the Ministry,” Umbridge offered.

Draco snorted. –That's not much. I’m not particularly interested in The Ludicrous Patents Office. That’s where you ended up, right?”
 
–You should talk,” she sneered. –There aren't many jobs anywhere for ex-Death Eaters these days. Your family’s wealth is widely rumored to be gone. I assume your mother spent everything she had trying to keep your father from being sent back to Azkaban. The bribes didn’t work this time, did they? She’s lucky she isn’t there with him. I’m quite surprised you still have your family home.”

Draco sat rigidly. The right side of his mouth twitched slightly.

She took on a very superior tone and continued, –I was never a Death Eater. I never supported He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. He set the pureblood movement back a century. You're lucky you aren't in Azkaban like the rest of the Death Eaters. If you had used good sense to identify Potter when you had him dead to rights at your father’s house, we wouldn’t be here today. If Potter hadn't testified for you at your trial for saving his life...” Her words trailed off.

Her eyes opened very wide, a look of shock and realization on her face.

Draco smiled contemptuously. –So you finally put two and two together.”

He slapped his hands on the table, got up and quickly walked away. Umbridge remained as if frozen to her chair.

Simultaneously, there were swishing noises at adjoining tables as invisibility cloaks were thrown off. There were four menacing wizards with wands pointed at her -- Aurors.

At the same time, Kingsley Shacklebolt stood up from behind the bar and his voice boomed, –Dolores Jane Umbridge, you are under arrest for attempted murder and conspiracy.” To the Aurors he commanded, –Take her away.”

Umbridge could only whimper. The Aurors had already used various spells to silence her, bind her, and take her wand. Then they unceremoniously seized her and Disapparated.

Kingsley turned to Tom the bartender. –I’ll have that drink now, thanks.”

–Right away, Minister,” Tom said with a wink. –That was some operation.”

–Well, thank you again for your cooperation, Tom,” Kingsley replied. As he did so, he pulled from his ear the end of a long pink thread that trailed off around the bar. He held it out for Tom to look at. –Damn useful thing. It’s called an extendable ear. Arthur Weasley gave it to me. Apparently his twin boys invented them a few years ago. I think we’ll need to make them standard equipment for Ministry agents.”

…

Outside the Leaky Cauldron, Draco approached Harry, who was waiting for him.

Draco said in an even tone, –It went exactly as planned.”

Harry said, –Thanks,” in the same even tone.

Draco looked Harry directly in the eyes for several seconds, and then said, –Are we square now? Are we done?”

Harry stared back, then said, –Yes.”

Harry held out his hand. Draco did not hesitate, but the handshake was very brief.

They both recognized it as a formality, but an important one. It was closure not just for this event, but also for everything that had ever happened.

They turned and went their separate ways.

 

2 -- Redemption

They had finally left, the last to go. Dudley didn't think he could have taken much more. It was just too much. He still loved his parents, but now saw them from a different perspective. Being married and having a child had turned them into ... grandparents. If Dudley had been doted on and spoiled by his parents when he was a child, and he remembered as much, it was nothing to what his parents were inflicting on his darling little daughter.

Had his mother used that irritating baby talk with him? Ghastly! Had his father bought him this many toys? Insane! It wouldn't be so bad except they had visited every single weekend since little Penny had been born. And that was three years ago. Enough already!

It was Penny's birthday today, so he hadn't said anything. The birthday party had been nothing less than two hours of uninterrupted chaos with six other children, their parents, and the clown -- an unexpected courtesy of his parents. Their small flat looked like a battle zone. But he had made up his mind to talk to his parents next weekend, for they would surely be ringing the doorbell next Saturday morning as always -- with more presents and more baby talk.

His wife Iris was napping on the sofa. Well, not exactly. She was exhausted. The party, on top of his regular parents’ weekend visit, had just been too much. Iris was the most tolerant person he had ever met, probably one of the reasons she could live with him, but she appeared to have reached her limit. She had actually asked Petunia not to help her with the birthday pudding.

Dudley walked over to her. Iris was snoring very softly. Her arm was dangling off the edge of the couch. He carefully moved it to her side to be more comfortable. Then he covered her with a throw they usually shared when watching their favorite shows on the telly. Dudley dearly loved Iris. He considered himself very lucky to have her. She had been there for him when he had again battled his weight problem. It had returned with a vengeance after graduating from Smeltings, the end of his boxing activity, and going to work for his father at Grunnings. He had never been particularly smart and Grunnings had just been too stressful. It had simply not been possible for his father to keep overlooking his failures at work.

It had forced him to make the first real decisions of his life -- quit Grunnings and leave home. Of course, he had ended up returning home almost immediately, but then left again, and returned again, and both left and returned again and again (it had been more times than he could remember) until he finally found something he could do well and that he liked -- fixing bicycles. Who would have guessed?

Of course, his parents had not approved of him working and living "beneath his station" as they had so often reminded him. And so for a time, he and his parents had been estranged. It was then that Dudley realized he had to do something about his weight -- since collapsing bicycles whilst test riding them was not good for business. So he had gone to Big Boned Anonymous -- "real help for people who can't fit through the door to Weight Watchers" as the advertisement said.

That is where he met Iris. She was his diet coach and remained so. She was so empathetic; he couldn't help but fall in love with her. Wanting so badly to win her, he had steadfastly lost weight and physically transformed himself into a normal person -- so much so, his old friends did not recognize him when he passed them on the street. Courtship and marriage followed. When he renewed contact with his parents, they were shocked at all that had transpired and had even suggested that Iris had brainwashed and starved their "little Dudders".

Then Penny was born and nothing else mattered. The estrangement was over. His parents couldn't get enough of her. She was the new center of their universe. It was overwhelming and exhausting for Dudley and worse for Iris. So he was finally determined to set some serious boundaries on his parents. Thankfully, Penny seemed unaffected by all the extra attention. She was daddy's little darling. Cute and precocious, she was a ball of energy and never stopped talking. And ... where was she right now?

He had lost track of her. Not good!

She really liked to hide. And she was a climber. She would get up into closets and cabinets that would not seem possible for a three year old. It was amazing.

However, he found her right away when he looked into the kitchen. She was not hiding, but she had been climbing. She was standing on top of the refrigerator with a mischievous grin.

"Daddy, catch me," she chirped as she prepared to jump.

"What? No! Penny, WAIT!" Dudley shouted from across the kitchen.

He lurched toward her, staggered, and fell flat on his face with his arms outstretched. He craned his neck upward. His heart skipped a beat.

Penny had jumped. All he could do was watch her fall as if in slow motion. Wait a second. It was slow motion. She landed lightly on her tiptoes just inches from his outstretched hands and giggled, holding her hands over her mouth.

All he could think was "Oh... my... God." From the doorway behind him he heard Iris gasp, "Oh... my... God."

.....

They did not discuss what they had seen until they had put Penny to bed. Toward Penny, they acted as if it had not happened. Normalcy seemed to be the best approach until they could talk.

At last, they sat facing each other on the couch holding both hands.

Dudley’s brow was knitted. "Iris, I can explain this. You are probably not going to believe me, but I know what just happened. Penny is special. She has a ‘gift’. I never told you about my cousin Harry. He lived with us when I grew up. He had the gift too. My parents tried for more than ten years to stamp it out of him, but failed -- thankfully for me,” he added thoughtfully. –I treated him monstrously too,” he admitted, –but Harry saved my life and in doing so, ultimately changed my life. It took me several years to realize it, but I finally did. It allowed me to become myself. The gift must run in families. Sorry, I know I’m rambling. Does this make sense so far?"

Iris smiled and nodded.

There was so much Dudley wanted to tell her, to explain. How, while he and his parents were in hiding and under the protection of Harry’s lot, he had come to respect and eventually even to like the wizards and witches that had regularly looked in on them. How they had brought food and everything else he and his parents had needed to live comfortably. And how they were always so nice. After all, who couldn’t like Dedalus Diggle? He had actually comforted Dedalus when he broke down after revealing the deaths of several witches and wizards who had helped his family. Dudley knew then he had changed. He later realized this change in attitude had been critical to his parents’ safety -- more times than he could remember he had talked his frustrated father and mother from leaving their safe house. He would tell Iris everything, but later.

Dudley swallowed nervously and whispered, "The gift is..."

"...magic," breathed Iris.

Dudley paused and stared wide eyed. 

"Dudley, my sister is a witch,” she said hesitantly.

Dudley's jaw dropped.

"Well, it's not something you generally talk about," she said quickly.

Dudley's head whirled. He stammered, "Are you serious?"

"Of course. I wouldn’t joke after what we have both just seen," she said earnestly.

Dudley paused and then continued nervously. "Are you angry? My aunt, my mother's sister, was a witch and my mother was so jealous that she hated magic."

Iris smiled and touched his cheek. "Just the opposite. I’m overjoyed to learn that our daughter, like my sister and your cousin, has the gift and that you understand. You already know about the their world and accept it."

She paused, then with a very serious look, said, "Dudley, I want us to be a part of our daughter's world. I don't want to shut her out."

Dudley sighed. "You have nothing to worry about. I feel exactly the same way. This is going to be an exciting journey for Penny… and us too."

They both grinned. Then he added thoughtfully "I hope someday I’ll have an opportunity to make up with my cousin. I never did it properly before he left."

"I bet my sister could help you with that," she offered.

Dudley nodded and then slouched heavily back into the cushions. Iris followed.

"I'm exhausted," Iris sighed. "Me too," echoed Dudley.

He slowly got up, took her outstretched arm and leaned back using all of his substantially reduced weight to pull her up. She hugged him and they made their way to the bedroom arm in arm.

"Dudley, there is just one little fly in the ointment, you know," she teased.

"And what's that my dear?"

"Well, two flies actually -- Vernon and Petunia."

"Fear not, my lovely; I have a magical plan."

They both laughed.

 

3 -- Love

Molly was very tired, but she was happy. Only moments ago, her grandchildren and great grandchildren, noisy and wonderful as usual, had been ushered out by her very famous son-in-law and many daughters-in-law. Now, just her children, all her children, were with her, around her.

Where was Arthur? Oh, certainly working late at the Ministry again.

They were all wearing the jumpers she knitted them every year for Christmas. Was it Christmas? No, there were no decorations up. But that didn’t matter. They were all here now, all around her -- Charlie, strong and rugged; Percy, prim and proper; Bill, her first, most handsome but so sadly scarred; Ginny, her one sweet girl; Ron, brave and loyal; and Fred and George -- her very clever and mischievous twins.

Wait. Fred? Yes, Fred. This was curious for some reason. He was still so young and handsome. Her eyes sought him out again. He was close, holding her hand. He had tears in in eyes. It was Fred. She could tell. Everything was all right now. She could finally sleep.

She closed her eyes and smiled.


.....


–I can’t thank you enough for doing this, Lee.”

–It was the least I could do for a friend, George. I hope it was OK with everyone.” His red hair was just beginning to change back to curly black, though now with a good deal of gray in it.

–Yes. Everyone understood her dementia was very bad and knew she was mostly living in the past. After the stroke, I believed she needed to see Fred one last time. She was lately always asking for him.”

–It was lucky you had the lock of hair,” said Lee.

–I came across it in my box of ‘treasures’ last year. Fred had intended to give it to a pretty Muggle girl who worked in a paper shop in Ottery St. Catchpole. This was during the Christmas holidays after we opened Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley,” George explained.

–He fancied her, but she liked me because of my card ‘tricks’. One day I spied him with her pretending to be me. I didn’t say anything, but then later I saw him at home cutting the locket of his hair and put two and two together…” He paused, looking a little wistful, and then continued, –Anyway, he left it ‘unattended’ and I switched it with a lock of polecat hair which I temporarily transfigured to look like his. He gave it to her and she was delighted. But then it changed back and she was really offended. She threw it at him and accused him of playing a dirty trick on her and told him to get lost.”

–Did Fred suspect you and get mad?” asked Lee.

–Of course he knew it was me, but he had a great laugh. In fact, we both did,” chuckled George. –After all, he was trying to ‘jump my claim’ as it were and I tripped him up fair and square. We were always pulling that kind of stuff on each other. Just more ideas for our future plans,” he mused.

George continued, –But seriously, when I saw the real lock again, I knew what I had to do for Mum. I was scared though. I had to try it first to prove to myself I could bring it off. I knew it had to be more than just the appearance. It had to be the subtle mannerisms too. I had to practice. Twins watch each other very closely, you know, more than ordinary siblings.”

He sighed, then said affectionately, –Mum could always tell the difference. That was her private joke with us. She just pretended to everyone that she couldn’t tell the difference between us because we were identical, down to the last freckle, but she always could.”

George paused for a moment, then said, –That’s why I couldn’t let you be Fred. Only I could.”

Lee watched as the teenage Fred Weasley slowly transformed back into the middle age George Weasley.


The End