To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful
Summary: Harry and Ginny have led a happy life together that now includes their four children. But when Lily discovers a new 'talent' and old enemies combine with new, can the children of Order members and their parents unite and prevail?




To Rekindle the Flame sequel, although it's not necessary for you to read that story first to understand
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 61902 Read: 123641 Published: 02/02/07 Updated: 11/27/09

1. Chapter 1 The Potter's Return to Hogwarts by hopelesslyhopeful

2. Chapter 2 The Warning by hopelesslyhopeful

3. Chapter 3 Punishments and Questions by hopelesslyhopeful

4. Chapter 4 The Headmaster's Office by hopelesslyhopeful

5. Chapter 5 The Gang's All In by hopelesslyhopeful

6. Chapter 6 Trick and Treat by hopelesslyhopeful

7. Chapter 7 Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff by hopelesslyhopeful

8. Chapter 8 - The Dream by hopelesslyhopeful

9. Chapter 9 L. Potter v. Binns, Abernathy and H. Potter by hopelesslyhopeful

10. Chapter 10 My Father No Longer by hopelesslyhopeful

11. Chapter 11 Gryffindor vs. Slytherin by hopelesslyhopeful

12. Chapter 12 Home Is Where My Mum Is by hopelesslyhopeful

13. Chapter 13 The Burrow by hopelesslyhopeful

14. Chapter 14 - 'He' Finally Answers by hopelesslyhopeful

15. Chapter 15 An Unsuspecting Crisis or Two by hopelesslyhopeful

16. Chapter 16 Do it for Dad by hopelesslyhopeful

17. Chapter 17 - The Transcender by hopelesslyhopeful

18. Chapter 18 The Burden of Being a Potter by hopelesslyhopeful

19. Chapter 19 The Professor and the House-Elf by hopelesslyhopeful

20. Chapter 20 - The Validating Visitor by hopelesslyhopeful

21. Chapter 21 - Let Me Tell a Story by hopelesslyhopeful

22. Chapter 22 - Spy Trouble by hopelesslyhopeful

23. Chapter 23 - Demons by hopelesslyhopeful

24. Chapter 24 - Reconciliation by hopelesslyhopeful

Chapter 1 The Potter's Return to Hogwarts by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Here it is guys! This isn't a finished story yet so please be patient with me. Please read and review...you know how much I love to hear from you all! And thanks to Moony 62442 for being my beta...you're awesome!
Ch. 1: The Potters’ Return to Hogwarts



The sunlight pouring through the curtains pierced my eyelids. I rolled over, groaning at my unavoidable doom. I was going to have to get up and face this day sooner or later, but I chose later and pulled the covers over my head.



“Lily, get up! Breakfast is ready!” my mum called from downstairs.



I groaned again. I didn’t want to get out of bed; I didn’t want to go eat breakfast with my family. I wanted to stay in bed and admire my beautiful quilt…from underneath it.



“Lily, honey, you need to get up,” my dad said, opening my bedroom door. “We have to leave in just over an hour.”



I didn’t move but I heard him approach my bed and felt the mattress sag when he sat down by my feet.



“Lily?” he asked, resting his big hand on my small shoulder.



I sighed and removed my head from beneath my quilt. “I don’t want to go,” I told him.



He nodded his head. I knew he understood, but he was still making me go, causing me to be very angry with him.



“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked.



I shook my head. “No, not right now and not with you,” I said, sliding my feet up to push him away.



He looked hurt when he stood up, but I didn’t apologize. I just watched him walk out of my room and shut the door.



Before I come across as a complete prat, let me attempt to explain. My name is Lily, well, Lillian Ginevra Potter to be exact. My whole life has been overshadowed by my parents’ past accomplishments that my brothers and I know little about. I think that’s mostly because most of their stories revolve around the Final War and Mum and Dad don’t really like talking about it. Honestly, can you blame them?



Being the child of a family full (and I mean FULL) of heroes can be very…different. I’m not a big fan of public appearances or strangers shaking my hand. Usually, I spend my time with my family or in my room. One might consider me isolated, but I don’t. The bad news is that I can’t hide out anymore. Today I will be leaving to go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the same institution most of my relatives have attended in the past or are currently attending.



“Lillian Ginevra Potter, if you want to eat before we go, you’d best get down here now!” Mum’s voice shrieked.



Sighing in defeat, I walked down to the kitchen where I found my parents and brothers in the middle of breakfast. Sirius, the oldest, is thirteen and absolutely loves going to Hogwarts. He is popular due to the Potter name, his Quidditch talent, and his shaggy red hair and green eyes that got him attention from the female population. Sirius loves attention and goes out of his way to get large amounts of it, no matter how much the people around him beg him to stop. Brian is twelve and he can normally be found behind a book. He spends most of his time immersed in books, so people tend to ignore him unless they need homework help. Occasionally, he is more than willing to participate in some prank Siri and I pull, but I doubt he’s that way at school. Then there’s Cedric, the baby at nine. He had tears in his eyes and his sulky attitude did little to cheer me up.



“Lily, it’s not going to be so bad. After the first week or so, people will lose interest unless you invoke it,” Brian said, turning a page in his book.



“Uh huh,” I mumbled, pushing my eggs around.



“Honey, please don’t pout. You’ve got Uncle Bill, Aunt Fleur, and Aunt Hermione there to help you cope. And Neville is teaching now, too, so that will be nice,” Mum said, smiling.



“Great, Mum. It’s not enough that I’m a Potter, so I have to be related to half the staff too,” I said, purposely throwing thick amounts of sarcasm into my voice.



“Harry, maybe you should tell them now. I don’t think they should leave unaware,” Mum whispered in my father’s ear.



None of the boys heard her but I did. I felt dread sink in. “Tell us what?” I asked, standing up.



“Lils, please sit down,” Dad told me, using that soft yet stern tone he possessed. “I know you are all aware I’ve left my job at the Ministry. After much consideration, I have decided to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts this year.”



As Sirius and Brian questioned Dad, I went upstairs to get my stuff. I didn’t feel the same desire to rejoice in the moment.



***



As soon as the train began moving, Sirius stood up. “I’m going to go find people,” he said simply.



“What about you?” I asked Brian as Sirius left.



“I’m not leaving,” he said, getting comfortable with another book.



I began fidgeting in my seat out of boredom. Brian doesn’t talk much, which can be a bit annoying when he’s the only other person in the compartment, or room, or whatever.



“Molly, Sarah, and James will be along soon,” he said.



Molly and Sarah Weasley are Uncle Fred and Aunt Calli’s kids. Molly is a second year, but Sarah’s starting her first year, too, and I plan on clinging to her for life support. James isn’t exactly a blood relative, but his parents are really close with mine. They all fought together in the War and his dad knew my grandfather…weird, I know. James has an older brother, Seamus, who goes to school in America. According to Seamus, the peer pressure to excel isn’t nearly as great as it is at Hogwarts. I just think he wants to be alone. James is a second year too.



The compartment door flew open and Katy and Jacob wandered in. They’re my Uncle Charlie and Aunt Margaret’s kids. Katy is a seventh year and Jacob is a fourth, their older brother, Kevin, is currently in America with my cousin, Lydia; they’re both Aurors.



“Hey guys,” Katy said, sitting down next to me.



“Hi,” I mumbled.



“Dad told us this morning about Uncle Harry. I bet you took that well,” she said, cocking an eyebrow.



I was saved from responding by the door opening again.



“We raided the trolley on the way,” Siri said, dumping sweets onto the seat. “She seemed a bit surprised to see us.”



“We’re going to get sick if we eat all that,” James said as he, Sarah, and Molly entered.



I watched as the occupants of the compartment began feasting on the sweets.



“Lils, don’t you want any?” Sarah asked.



“No. I think I might throw up later if I eat right now,” I said, honestly.



“You two haven’t been sorted yet!” Jake said, laughing.



“Hopefully, they’ll be in Gryffindor like most of us,” James said, casting a look at Katy, Brian, and Molly.



“Hey! I’m still part of the ‘us’!” Katy said, smacking James in the arm.



“Indeed, Katy. We shouldn’t be ashamed of being in Ravenclaw. It means we’re smart,” Brain said, setting down his book.



“Ravenclaw isn’t as bad as Hufflepuff,” Siri said with a chuckle.



“I resent that!” Molly said, hurling a Cauldron Cake at his head.



I laughed with everyone and went over by Sirius. “Siri, if I’m not in Gryffindor, will you be mad?” I asked.



Despite the fact that I hated his desire for attention, the two of us were still really close. Truthfully, I was scared of being away from him. Sirius offered a greater sense of comfort and protection than Brian, not to mention fun, and I just knew I’d need him more.



“Nah, it won’t bother me. I’m pretty sure you will get in, though; you’re just like Mum, you know,” he said, smirking.



I knew he was right, but I still hit him in the arm and said, “I am not, prat!”



“Case and point,” James mumbled.



The train started to slow down, so everyone went back to their own compartments to change. As the snail pace turned into a dead stop, I drew a deep breath and followed my brothers out of the door.



I found Sarah on the platform and the two of us huddled together with the other confused first years. Every other person I knew had long disappeared and fear was becoming harder to ignore.



“First years! All first years, come this way!”



The familiarity of the voice brought me an enormous rush of relief and Sarah and I rushed to Aunt Hermione. She smiled at us and gestured towards a fleet of awaiting boats. Sarah and I climbed in with two other girls.



“Hi, I’m Michelle Bones and this is Tami McMillian,” Michelle said.



“Sarah Weasley and Lily Potter,” Sarah said, pointing to her and me.



The two girls’ eyes grew wide with excitement and Tami was just about to open her mouth when the boats began moving. We quickly sat down and gazed in awe at the approaching sight of Hogwarts.



It was more beautiful than I had ever imagined and all the explanations I have heard over the course of my life did not do the castle justice. Hundreds of windows glowed in the distance, guiding us to our destination. The enormous size was a bit overwhelming with the many towers pointing into the sky all along the horizon. I admitted to myself at that moment that I was going to get lost on a daily basis, and I hate getting lost. The closer we came, the more magic I could feel surrounding us and it felt so strong! I realized at that point this was the most magical, most majestic, most enchanting place I would ever enter.



“Wow!” was all I managed to say.



***



After a brief explanation of how the Sorting worked, Aunt Hermione pushed open two great doors and revealed the largest room I had ever seen. I had no time to take in the room’s beauty, due to the fact that hundreds of faces were watching us walk in.



I saw the majority of my family sitting together at one table, Molly at another, and Katy and Brian at yet another. I swallowed nervously. Would I have someone to sit with? Could I talk to people who didn’t sit at the same table?



We were right in front of the Head Table now. I saw Uncle Bill, Aunt Fleur, and Neville, but my dad was missing. Why wasn’t he here yet? I wanted him to watch me get Sorted, since I’d be the first one of his kids he’d get to watch go through it. Maybe I shouldn’t have made such a big deal about him accepting a position here. I was just so nervous this morning that my temper was much easier to access. It’s not like I didn’t want him here!



“Lily Potter,” Aunt Hermione said, causing me to jump and focus on her.



“What?” I asked. I had no idea what was going on and the quiet laughter from the mass behind me only embarrassed me.



Hermione pointed at the Hat on the stool. I sat down and let the Hat fall over my eyes, having no idea what would happen next.



“Hmm…another Potter, I see. Lots of bravery, that’s for sure. I see a large about of Weasley loyalty in you, too. This is very easy, dear! GRYFFINDOR!”



Stunned at the oddness of the Hat’s comments, I slid off the stool and sprinted to the table, where the majority of my family were standing and cheering.

Chapter 2 The Warning by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
I know it seems a bit boring right now, but there are some basics that need to be covered. Let me know what you think! Thanks guys!
Ch. 2 The Warning



“Well done, Lily!” James said when I joined them at the table.



I smiled at Sirius, who was beaming. Then I turned back toward the Head Table and saw my dad beaming at me. I smiled back, relieved that he had watched me get Sorted after all. Before I turned my attention back to the Sorting, I found myself staring into a pair of cold, black eyes.



“Who is that?” I asked Sirius.



“Headmaster Snape,” he whispered.



“Snape? The Snape?” I asked in awe.



Sirius nodded and put a finger to his lips when I opened my mouth to speak again.



“Later, Lily. Pay attention now because Sarah’s being Sorted,” he said.



I turned my attention back to the ceremony and saw Sarah on the stool with the Hat on. I held my breath and prayed to Merlin she’d be in my house.



“GRYFFINDOR!”



I cheered as she sprinted to the table and sat down across from me. The relieved expression on her face made me giggle and she cocked her head at me.



“What?” she asked, smiling.



I was just about to explain I was just as relieved as she was when Snape stood up.



“I’d like to take a moment to welcome you all to a new year. I hope to find that you all fill your minds with vast knowledge as the year moves on. A few announcements before we begin the Feast. The Forbidden Forest is off-limits to all students, regardless of year. Caretaker Stokes has posted a list of all outlawed items in each house’s Common Room, and I suggest you read that over tonight. Also, you will notice Harry Potter is here. He will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Please restrain yourselves from groveling at his feet; he does not need the attention, trust me. Lastly, I’m going to use this opportunity to remind students that being out past curfew is unacceptable, no exceptions. Enjoy your meal,” he said, sitting down.



“He sure doesn’t seem friendly,” a boy down the table whispered.



As I ate my chicken and potatoes, I began thinking about everything I knew about Snape. I knew he was a skilled potion brewer, a highly decorated War Hero, and Dad didn’t like him much.



“Excuse me, can you please pass the potatoes?” a meek voice asked from my left.



“Sure,” I said, handing the platter over.



“You’re a first year too, right?” she asked.



“Yup. I’m Lily Potter,” I said, smiling.



“Mackenzie Miller, but most people call me Mack. Are you that new teacher’s daughter?” she asked.



Due to shock, I only nodded. ‘That new teacher?’ Someone refers to Harry Potter as ‘that new teacher?’ She had to be Muggle-born.



“You look a lot like him,” she said.



I smiled and introduced her to the group around me. Everyone always said my father and I look a lot alike. All of us kids have bright green eyes, but the boys all have red hair and I have dark black hair. The boys all do have the same facial structure as Dad, while I resemble Mum more. Genetics are quite amazing…



After our dishes were magically cleared, a Prefect named Jane led us to the Common Room. Though my parents talked about the castle a lot, I was still amazed at the quantity of portraits, tapestries, and staircases.



“Odd how everyone in those pictures move,” Mack said.



“Oh! Are you Muggle-born?” Sarah asked.



Mack blushed and nodded.



“Don’t worry, we’ll help you adjust,” I said, smiling.



***



Once we entered the Common Room, Mack and Sarah headed up to the dorms, but Sirius pulled me into a corner before I could follow them.



“I just want to tell you the same thing Dad told me when I started here: stay away from Snape,” he said.



“What? Why? Siri, what is the deal with him anyway?” I asked.



“He’s just an odd guy to begin with. Dad just says that our family and Snape don’t mix. As long as you don’t provoke him, then you’ll be fine,” he said, standing up.



“Aren’t you at all curious about their history?” I asked. I knew I was. Dad got along well with everyone, especially Order members, and I know Snape is one too.



Siri shrugged. “A bit, I guess, but not enough to risk being brought into either of their radars. Snape thinks we’re all attention-seeking prats who abuse our status. You know, most of his speech was directed at us? He thinks every prank is the work of me, Jake, and James,” he said.



I laughed. “Well, I don’t think he’s entirely mistaken, Siri,” I said.



“Rubbish! Now go get some sleep; classes start tomorrow,” he said.



I ran upstairs to tell Sarah and Mack about Sirius’ warning and to see if Sarah knew anything about Snape that I didn’t.



***



The two other girls in our dorm were twins named Patricia and Pamela Wood. Their dad is the coach for Puddlemore United, thus causing them both to be obsessed with Quidditch. When I entered the dorm, all four girls were climbing into bed, so I just followed their lead. I would have to wait to talk to Sarah and Mack, which bothered me a bit.



The next morning, I had a difficult time eating my breakfast due to the fact Siri and I were constantly being questioned about Dad.



“Looks, he’s just a normal Dad!” I said for the hundredth time.



Siri gave much more interesting answers by telling stories about growing up. His entertaining tales drew more people to him, which fed his attention addiction. Realizing he wouldn’t be easy to converse with, I turned to James and Jake.



“What have you got today, Lils?” James asked.



“Um…History of Magic with Binns, Transfiguration with Aunt Hermione, Herbology with Neville, and double Potions with Uncle Bill,” I said, sighing.



“Ah, what a fabulous Monday!” Jake said, grinning.



I was just finishing my pumpkin juice when Sarah stood up.



“We should go if we don’t want to be late,” she said.



As Sarah, Mack, and I walked to class, Sarah began fussing about the material. I found this a bit annoying, especially since we hadn’t even had one lesson yet.



“I’m so horrible with dates and that’s all History is! Do you know how bad my Mum will hex me if I don’t do well?”



“Will you calm down? We’ll all be fine!” I said.



I was beginning to get cranky. People kept pointing at us as we passed and Siri’s little breakfast story-time session didn’t lift my mood much.



When we entered the classroom, I noticed that we had this class with the Hufflepuffs. Sarah, Mack, and I took a seat in the back, far away from our classmate’s gaze. A moment later, a ghost floated through the chalkboard. I did a double take: yes, a dead man was teaching us History… fan-bloody-tastic.



“I’m Professor Binns and this is first year History of Magic,” he said in a monotone.



He quickly took roll and, thankfully, didn’t even raise his head when he called my name. The entire class turned around and stared, and then repeated the reaction for Sarah, too.



“Well, then, let us begin. This term, at the request of the Headmaster, we will be studying the rise and fall of the Dark Wizard, Voldemort,” he said, resting his transparent hands on the podium.



I dropped my head on the desk, which resulted in a thud sounding throughout the room. I couldn’t believe this was happening! If we’re studying Voldemort, that means my dad would be a huge part of it.



Sarah read my face and gave me a small smile. “At least we won’t have to study,” she said.



***



“Okay, I missed the location Voldemort fell the first time,” Mack said, scanning her notes as we walked to Transfiguration.



“Godric’s Hollow, Mack. Right after he killed James and Lily Potter and attempted to kill my dad,” I answered flatly.



“Oh, Lils! I feel so stupid! I’m sorry, I didn’t think,” she said.



I flashed a small smile. “Don’t worry about it. I know you didn’t mean anything by it,” I said, honestly. In fact, I wasn’t bothered by her question at all. The thing that bothered me was hearing the real story of my grandparents’ death, complete with details I had never known. Learning about my family history from a ghost in a room full of my peers wasn’t exactly nice.



We made it to class right on time and took seats in the front. Aunt Hermione constantly told us we had to sit in the front in order to gain the most information from the lesson. I didn’t really agree with that logic, but arguing with Aunt Hermione is something I try to avoid.



“Hello class, I’m Professor Weasley. Transfiguration is one of the most difficult branches of magic and understanding the theories involved is vital. So, that is where we will start today,” she said, flicking her wand at the chalkboard.



Words began to form and I copied them down as I listened to her drone on about concentration and focus.



“My head hurts,” I said as we exited the classroom.



“Mine too. I’m hungry; is it lunchtime yet?” Sarah asked.



When we arrived in the Great Hall, I found Siri stuffing his face while James and Jake were harassing Molly at the Hufflepuff table.



“Hey,” I said, sitting next to Siri.



“How’s your first day going?” he asked.



I shrugged and saw Brian heading over.



“I’m owling Mum tonight, if you two want to add your letters,” he said.



“Did you have Dad’s class yet?” I asked.



He nodded and Siri smirked.



“You both did? Tell me what it was like!” I demanded.



“I have him this afternoon, Lils. I’m just assuming he told Bry not to say anything,” Siri replied.



Brian just nodded.



“How is he going to know if you tell us?” I asked between bites of my potatoes.



“It’s Dad, Lils…he’ll know,” Brian said, shrugging.



“We’re studying Voldemort this term,” I mumbled after a brief silence.



“Really? We are too. That’s weird; we’re studying the same topic,” Siri said.



I shrugged. I only told them both in order to get sympathy for constantly being singled out. Why did it only seem to bother me? Not to mention Mack’s innocent question earlier had irked me a bit.



“What’s wrong?” Brian asked.



“Nothing! Why does everyone keep asking me that?” I asked, pushing my plate away.



“Because you either look sad or mad all the time,” Siri answered. “Got to run, I’m meeting Natalie before class.”



As Siri dashed out of the Hall and Brian returned to his table, I saw Katy eating her lunch.



“Can I ask you something?” I asked, sitting down next to her.



She looked surprised but nodded and closed her book.



“How much do you know about my parents’ past?”



“Bits and pieces, why?” she asked, cocking an eyebrow.



“I’m just curious. We’re studying Voldemort in class,” I said.



Katy nodded in understanding. “You know, Lydia figured a lot out when she was here. I think she laid guilt on Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermoine to get most of it, though. Why don’t you just ask your parents?”



I shrugged. The truth was that I didn’t want to admit to either of my parents that I was interested in the story that brought them their fame; that same story that made my life so interesting to everyone else. Until today, I never showed much interest in my family history, but now my mindset had changed. It may turn out to be quite an entertaining tale.

Chapter 3 Punishments and Questions by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Okay...in case anyone is a bit confused as to who is who, here's a little recap:
Sirius, Brian, Lily and Cedric are Harry and Ginny's kids; Kevin, Katy and Jacob are Charlie and Margaret's kids; Molly and Sarah are Fred and Calli's; Seamus and James are Remus and Tonks' kids and Mack is Lily and Sarah's new friend.
Ch. 3: Punishments and Questions





I couldn’t help but smile as Neville entered the Greenhouse. My godfather was one of my favorite people ever. He used to be an Auror and worked with Dad, but even I knew he felt most at home surrounded by plants. Despite my happiness at seeing Neville, my eyes fell on the other group of students sharing our class…





“Slytherins,” Sarah whispered in my ear.





I nodded. Siri had explained the rivalry to me many times. Apparently, it’s gone on for centuries, though he couldn’t tell me why.





“Hello all, I’m Professor Longbottom and this term we’re going to be working with simple plants; nothing too dangerous.”





A hand shot up in the air. Neville smiled and pointed at the blonde girl in the back row.





“Weren’t you an Auror?” she asked.





Neville smiled. “That was a long time ago, but yes, I was an Auror for the Ministry,” he answered.





“Why did you stop?” she asked.





This girl’s question got my attention and I gazed at Neville. His smile faltered and he looked agitated. “I’m sorry, Miss…”





“Abernathy.”





“Yes, well, Miss Abernathy, I don’t see how that question has anything to do with this class. So, I’m going to move on,” he said, using an icy tone.





I tried to hide my surprise at his change in demeanor. I had never heard Neville speak to anyone like that, not even his kids when they were misbehaving. It felt like I was seeing a new side to him and I didn’t like it at all. He continued his cool demeanor for the rest of the lesson and excused us without a smile.





“What was that all about?” Sarah asked as we headed back to the castle.





“The Devil’s Snare being a deadly plant and sunlight being its weakness,” Mack said.





“Not that, Mack. I’m talking about Neville’s sudden coolness, all because some girl asked why he stopped being an Auror. It’s just not like him,” Sarah said.





“Maybe that Abernathy girl knows something,” I said, searching our herd for her blonde head.





I was beginning to realize that just because I was a Potter didn’t mean that I knew everything about my father’s early life everyone else did.





“Where are we?” Mack asked, causing me to observe our surroundings.





“Um…” I said, peering down an unfamiliar corridor. I didn’t notice anything in front of or behind us. “I have no idea.”





“Guess this is what we get for not paying attention to where we’re going,” Sarah said, leaning against the wall.





“Well, Potions is in the dungeons right? So, let’s just go back and take the first stairs we come across down,” I suggested.





“We’re going to be late!” Mack said, taking off at a run.





“Mack! Mack, wait for us!” Sarah yelled as we both ran after her.





We rounded a corner and sprinted down a staircase. As we started running down the path to the dungeons, I realized we had lost Mack. “Where did she go?” I asked between pants.





“She probably made it there. Did you see her take off? She was running like mad!” Sarah answered in a rasping voice.





We burst through the door and found Uncle Bill in the middle of a lecture. I blushed as he narrowed his eyes at us. “So glad you two decided to join us. We’re reviewing the ingredients for a Calming Draught, which we will be brewing next class,” he said.





Sarah and I quickly copied down the notes and paid attention to the remainder of his lecture. “And finally, I urge you to remember that potion brewing needs to be precisely accurate or there can be horrible repercussions. You are dismissed,” he said.





I began to pack up when Uncle Bill spoke again. “Lily Potter and Sarah Weasley, could I have a word?”





Mack smiled apologetically as we approached our uncle. Most of the class had left and he waited until the room was empty to speak. “Girls, I am disappointed,” he said, simply.





“Uncle Bill, we got lost, honest!” Sarah said and I nodded in agreement.





“Even if that is the case, I will not show you favoritism. I’m taking ten points from Gryffindor and giving you both a detention,” he said, his face set in a frown.





“Ten points and a detention? Isn’t that a bit extreme, Uncle Bill?” I asked, trying to hide my anger.





“No. Now go to dinner. You’ll receive instructions for your detentions later,” he said.





Sarah opened her mouth to retort, but I stepped on her foot and yanked her away.








“What an arse!” she said as we strolled to the Great Hall.





I didn’t say anything, but I did agree with her. We didn’t purposely stroll in late. In fact, we burst through the bloody door sucking air! I hate it when this happens. Either I was constantly being badgered about my family status or being punished for trying to abuse it. I turned to head to the Common Room.





“Where are you going?” Sarah asked.





“I’m not hungry,” was the only response I gave. The injustice of the last fifteen minutes was hard to swallow, and there was no way I could eat anything. As I turned down the hallway that would lead me to the dorm, I ran into my dad.





“Lily, why aren’t you at dinner?” he asked, eyeing me curiously.





“I’m not hungry,” I answered, avoiding his eyes. I could still feel them on me and I knew he was trying to read me.





“Are you ill?” he asked, putting his hand on my shoulder and forcing me to look at him.





“No, I just…don’t like it here,” I said, unable to stop myself.





“Why?”





“Do you have any idea what it’s like? Every class I have is taught by a relative or family friend! People gawk at me every where I go, but don’t bother talking to me. I’m a somebody who’s a nobody and it’s your fault. Don’t say anything! Leave me alone!” I said, pushing past him.





I waited until I fell into bed before letting the tears come. I knew my outburst had been stupid and pointless, but I was so angry. Why is he hiding stuff from us? I never knew about a Prophecy. I didn’t know what had really happened the night Voldemort killed my grandparents. Mum and Dad could’ve told me the truth, but instead I heard from some ghost in a room full of gawking strangers. How embarrassing!





***





I must have drifted off at some point during my self pity party, but Pam and Trish came in and woke me up.





“Sirius is down in the Common Room looking for you,” Pam said.





“He looked worried. Did you two have a row?” Trish asked.





“No,” I said, sliding off my bed and walking out the door.





I found my brother sitting in an armchair, gazing into the crackling fire. He looked deep in thought and didn’t move when I sat in the chair next to him.





“What’s going on?” I asked him.





When he finally looked at me, I felt my eyes grow wide with surprise. He looked very pale and wore an expression of loss.





“Siri, you’re frightening me,” I said. I had never seen him look at me the way he was now.





“The oddest thing happened today,” he whispered. “Natalie and I were stealing a moment in the Trophy Room before class and she noticed something with Dad’s name on it. I figured it was a Quidditch thing, but it was an Award for Special Services to the School for both Dad and Uncle Ron. I went to ask Dad about it and he got all nervous and said he didn’t want to talk about it.”





“That doesn’t make sense. Why wouldn’t he?” I asked.





“I know! And it can’t have anything to do with Voldemort because Dad got it in his second year,” he said.





“Come on,” I said, grabbing his hand. “We’re going to the library.”





“What? Why?” he asked as I dragged him through the portrait hole.





“Because, Siri, they have all the issues of the Prophet. We’ll be able to search them and get more information,” I said, still dragging him.





“Okay, but can you stop yanking my arm? It’s starting to get a bit old, Lils,” he said.





I dropped his arm but didn’t apologize. When we entered the library, I immediately headed for the newspapers.





“Let’s start with 1981,” I said, running my fingers down the list. When I found the right year, three books containing the articles began to glow. Sirius ran over and grabbed two.





We began our search. It was rather boring; I don’t enjoy things of this nature. This was definitely Bry’s area of expertise.





“Hey look!” Siri whispered, pointing to his page.





‘YOU-KNOW-WHO DEFEATED!



Yesterday in Godric’s Hollow, You-Know-Who met his demise at the home of James and Lily Potter. The circumstances surrounding the events are not known at this time. The
Daily Prophet does know that You-Know-Who killed Mr. and Mrs. Potter and then attempted to kill their son, Harry. For some inexplicable reason, the curse backfired, leaving little Harry with nothing but a scar and You-Know-Who obliterated. His body has not yet been recovered, but the Minister of Magic is confident that the Dark Times have passed, leaving us with a hero in Harry Potter!’



My heart was pounding and Siri looked amazed. Before he could say anything, I noticed the time and cut him off. “The Library’s going to be closing soon. I’m going to come back and continue looking later,” I said.



He nodded and stood up. He looked shocked; his face was pasty white and his green eyes were glazed over. We silently headed back to the Common Room, which was filled with people doing homework. Siri headed up to his dorm while I joined Sarah and Mack’s conversation with Pam and Trish. But after listening for a few minutes, I realized I, too, needed to go to bed. I was going to need a lot of sleep if I was going to be doing late night research.

Chapter 4 The Headmaster's Office by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Lily takes a midnight stroll and encounters a few...situations that make things a bit more interesting. It may seem wrong or unlike Harry and Ginny to omit certain bits of information of their past lives, but they feel if they attempt to explain too many questions will arise that they aren't ready to answer...
Ch. 4 The Headmaster’s Office
For as long as I can remember, I have always had the ability to tell myself to wake up at a specific time without an alarm clock. It was a talent I planned to exploit now. I woke up at half past one and made sure everyone was asleep before sneaking down to the Common Room. I was relieved to find no one was still awake, which saved me from explaining my actions. I pushed my way through the portrait hole and found myself getting my first glance of Hogwarts bathed in darkness. I allowed myself a moment to let my eyes adjust; I didn’t want to use my wand because it would give me away. Finally able to make out my surroundings, I started to head to the Library using light, quiet steps.
I couldn’t stop thinking about the article Siri and I found earlier. Dad had told us that his scar was from Voldemort, but he failed to mention anything about getting it when he was a baby! I had just assumed he meant during the War and that’s probably the way Mum and Dad wanted us all to think. No wonder he never talked about his childhood or Grandma and Grandpa Potter, how do you even bring that up in a conversation? My anger towards my parents for withholding information from us gave way to pity. I knew Mum and Dad thought we’re too young to understand certain things, but empathy for a family member was not beyond my emotional understanding. They could have at least given us the chance to try, I was not a baby anymore!
When I arrived at the door, I found it locked. Damn! I began pacing back and forth, searching my mind for the right spell to unlock the door. I knew it had ‘m’ in it somewhere. Mo? Come on, Lils, think! Suddenly, I was doused in an icy cold light.
“Ah, young Miss Potter! How unsurprised I am to find you roaming the halls and flouncing authority. Something you inherited from your father, no doubt,” the looming figure of Snape snarled from the darkness.
Fear penetrated every ounce of my body. He just kept staring at me with an evil smirk on his lips. My breath left me completely. His cold eyes were peering at me; his grey hair and black robes were being stirred about in the breeze from the open window.
“What are you doing out of your dorm, Miss Potter?” he asked, stepping closer to me.
I inhaled slowly, trying to calm my nerves. I didn’t want him to know how much he was terrifying me. I suddenly felt myself replaying my trip with Siri earlier. I knew what he was doing, but Mum and Dad had taught all of us how to fight it. I forced my mind to go blank and felt him stop. His face showed mild surprise but his eyes remained cold. I decided to use my realization to my advantage.
“You aren’t supposed to do that,” I said, trying to use the subtle threatening tone my mum possessed.
“Follow me, Miss Potter,” he said, coldly.
I gulped as he led me down an unfamiliar corridor. He was walking quickly until he suddenly stopped in front of the statue of a gargoyle. I walked into his back, causing him to turn and scowl at me.
“Sorry,” I managed to squeak out.
He muttered something and a revolving staircase appeared. I waited in awe at the sudden revelation. Snape motioned for me to go up and I obliged, doom settling in my stomach. I reached a door that opened automatically to reveal a beautifully large office. There were hundreds of portraits lining the walls, numerous potion ingredients lined four shelves behind the large desk, and there were so many books too! It seemed that every space available was devoted to books, and each one looked very worn, too.
I watched Snape stride across to the desk and sit behind it. None of the occupants in the portraits moved at the sound of his footsteps, and I didn’t either. “Take a seat, Miss Potter,” he whispered.
I heeded his request half-heartedly. The chair in front of his desk didn’t look at all comfortable and when I sat down, I knew comfort wasn’t a concern of his.
“Now, tell me what you were doing,” he said.
“Exploring,” I said, looking right back at him.
Dad had always told me never to let someone know they were frightening me. The best way to do that was by keeping eye contact and a cool demeanor.
He shook his head. “I know you are lying to me. Your face is so easy to read. You cannot fool me. Are you going to tell me the truth or do I have to resort to different tactics?” he asked.
I continued to gaze at him, but I didn’t reply. He wordlessly stood up and left the office. I breathed a sigh of relief and stood up and headed to the door. I discovered yet another locked door preventing my advancement. “What the…?” I said.
“He has locked you in, my dear,” a voice said from my right.
I turned toward the voice and saw an old man smiling from a portrait.
“I figured that out, thanks,” I growled at him.
He just smiled at me. Despite my current mood, I felt draw to him. His blue eyes sparkled with amusement behind his glasses and he was petting a pretty bird while watching me intently.
“What’s his name?” I asked, pointing at the bird.
“Fawkes. He is a phoenix,” the man answered.
“He’s very pretty,” I said. “Where did Snape go?”
“Headmaster Snape, dear, is his proper name. And I don’t know, although I have a good idea,” the man said.
I nodded. I had a good idea too. “My dad is going to be so angry,” I said.
“What makes you think that?”
“My brother, Sirius, told me to stay away from the Headmaster because Dad and he don’t get along. I’m pretty sure Dad doesn’t want to be awoken by some man he doesn’t like to be told his daughter has been strolling the corridors alone at night,” I explained heavily.
His blue eyes sparkled again. “You are very perceptive, Lily. I think you inherited that from you mother, and your thirst for adventure from you father,” he said, smiling a calming smile.
“How did you know my name? And how do you know my parents?” I asked, leaning against a nearby bookcase.
“Oh, with nothing to do all day, we portraits tend to get very good at placing names to students,” he explained.
I laughed. “What’s your name?”
The man smiled, but the door flew open at that moment and my dad came walking in with Snape.
“Lillian, I’m…so disappointed,” Dad said, shaking his head.
“I’m sorry, Dad,” I said, sitting back down in the cold, high-backed chair.
“What were you doing?” he asked as Snape smirked from behind the desk.
“Nothing,” I answered. I wasn’t going to tell him what Siri and I were up to.
“Lily, please don’t lie to me, I don’t appreciate it,” he said sternly.
“It’s awful being lied to, isn’t it, Dad?” I replied, watching both men’s stern expressions flicker slightly.
“Miss Potter, I seem to recall mentioning that no student should be out past curfew. Ever. Do you think the rules do not apply to you?” Snape asked, sneering.
I looked at him. His eyes were so cold! I felt like he almost hated me, but I knew I was being ridiculous. “Why would I think that?” I asked.
He glanced at my dad before replying. “I can’t help but notice the similarities, Potter,” he said.
“Not the time, Severus,” my dad said in a tone I didn’t recognize.
“Do you not see it? The disregard for the rules, the adoration of the fame complete with the vague answers and air of cockiness? She is you,” he said.
Dad shot him a glare of hatred that frightened me. But I saw the opportunity to permanently change the subject… maybe even save me from punishment.
“Severus, if you wish to have this conversation at a different time, I think you would find it more appropriate,” Dad said.
“I assure you I am completely aware of what is appropriate and what is not, Potter,” Snape spat.
Here it was!
“Really? Is that why you attempted to enter my mind in the corridor?” I asked, smirking.
Snape’s cold eyes grew wide and red crept into his cheeks. My dad’s face lost color and his green eyes looked ever bright against his paling complexion.
“SNAPE!” Dad yelled. “What the bloody hell is my daughter talking about?” he asked as he pointed his wand at Snape.
“I have no idea, Potter,” Snape said, remaining in his seat.
“Your reaction contradicts your statement. Why would you do that?” Dad asked in a voice of forced calm.
“Probably because he didn’t think I’d notice, much less prevent it,” I suggested.
No one said anything. Dad and Snape just glared at one another.
“Once again, Lily, you are quite perceptive,” the man said, smiling.
“Thank you, sir,” I said, blushing.
“Good evening, Albus,” Snape said, not moving his gaze from my dad. But my dad turned to the man in the portrait and smiled.
“Hello, Dumbledore!”
“You’re Dumbledore?” I asked in amazement.
“I suggest the young Potter returns to bed while you two discuss things,” he advised.
Snape waved me out and Dad gave me a quick kiss on the forehead. “Goodnight, Lily. We’ll talk about this tomorrow,” he said.
I nodded. “It was nice to meet you, sir. I hope to see you again,” I said, heading to the door.
“The pleasure is mine, dear,” he said with a twinkle in his eye.
I walked out the door, shutting it behind me. I waited outside, straining my ears to hear the exchange continue inside.
“Using Legilimency on the girl was not a wise choice, Severus,” Dumbledore said.
“Thank you, Albus. I’m aware of that now,” Snape replied.
“Only because she caught you,” Dad said with a hint of pride in his voice.
“I’m glad someone in your family has managed to control their emotions, Potter. She shows more talent in that gesture than you had for most of your years here,” Snape taunted.
“I’m flattered since I’m the one who taught her,” Dad said, causing me to smirk.
“Well, I think you should know that I did see her and Sirius poring over something in the Library, but she pushed me out before I could find out what,” Snape said.
There was a moment of silence.
“And you found her by the Library? Do you have any idea what they were looking at, at all?” Dad asked. I heard a note of panic in his voice.
“It could have been a newspaper, but I am not sure,” Snape answered.
My dad swore.
“I told you long ago, Harry. I do not think it is wise to hide things from your children; it only causes trouble. You, of all people, should know that,” Dumbledore said.
“All too well,” Dad said. “We’ll continue this abuse of power later, Snape. Just know that if you ever do anything to any of my kids again, I will not be so kind.”
I ran from the door in case Dad left, but a new round of muffled yelling told me he hadn’t.
I quietly climbed through the portrait hole and crawled into bed. If Dad found out we were snooping, he’d surely put a stop to it. Well, I wasn’t going to let that happen. Forming a plan in my mind, I drifted off to sleep, glad the night turned out to be eventful.
Chapter 5 The Gang's All In by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's so short...please forgive me! Hopefully the next chapter will make up for it!
Ch. 5 The Gang’s All In

The first thing I did when Sarah and Mack woke up was tell them everything that I had been waiting to talk to them about.

“You’re mad, Lils. You realize you almost got two detentions on your first day?” Sarah asked as we headed down for breakfast.

“That’s beside the point,” I said, waving my hand in dismissal.

“I’m really curious about all this stuff though. Your dad killed Voldemort twice?” Mack asked.

“I don’t know; that’s one of the many things confusing me. I know You-Know-Who and Voldemort are the same person, but that doesn’t make sense. You can’t kill the same person twice!” I said as we joined the guys at the table.

Siri, Jake, and James were laughing at some boys at the Slytherin table. I turned to follow their gazes and found three boys with neon green hair glaring at us.

“What did you guys do?” I asked, grabbing some pancakes.

“Don’t worry, it’s just a potion. This will pass in about an hour,” Jake said, waving at the boys.

“Who are they?” Mack asked.

“Gits,” Siri stated simply.

“Um, the one in the middle is Nicholas Riley, on his left is Thomas Sorenson, and on his right is Benjamin Krum. They’re in our year and we don’t really get along,” James explained.

“Obviously,” Sarah said, laughing.

“Hey! You changed your eye color! I’m so telling on you!” I said, pointing at James’ face.

His normally blue eyes were grey today and I know he wasn’t supposed to be using his morphing powers; strict orders from his father.

James blushed as everyone realized I was right. “If you wouldn’t have said anything, no one would have been the wiser,” he pouted, his heart shaped face set in a frown.

I watched with fascination as grey turned back to blue with a simple purse of his lips. I was about to voice my internal envy at his ability when I saw Dad heading our way. I leaned over, pretending to reach for syrup but instead, I quickly whispered to Siri, “If Dad asks, you were helping me with Potions yesterday; that’s why we were in the Library. Don’t say anything about the Prophet article!”

He gave me a puzzled look but nodded. James and Jake watched with interest as Dad stopped behind me.

“Good morning, Lily. Did you get much sleep after your midnight adventure? You look a bit tired,” he said.

“I’m fine, Dad,” I said, taking a bite of my pancakes.

“Why were you and Lily in the Library yesterday, Sirius?” he asked, turning to face my brother.

Siri glanced at me slightly and then looked hard at Dad. “Yesterday? The Library you say? Um…well, Natalie and I were, uh, studying and on the way out, I saw Lils and went over to say hi. She was working on a Potions essay so I helped,” Siri said, stuffing a sausage in his mouth.

Dad just looked at Siri. My heart started pounding loudly in my chest and my hands were shaking slightly. There was no way he was going to fall for Siri’s explanation.

“What, Dad? I swear I didn’t give her any outright answers! I just nudged her in the right direction,” he said.

Dad was still gazing at both of us, so I turned my attention to my plate to hide my face. I suddenly noticed that students had started to head to class and I seized the moment. “Where’s the Charms classroom? Sarah and Mack have already left and I don’t know where to go,” I said, standing up.

“We’ll show you; Siri has Divination in the North Tower so he’ll be late if he comes,” Jake said, jumping up.

I nodded, pecked a kiss on Dad’s cheek, and followed James and Jake out of the Great Hall. As soon as we were out of sight I flashed a smile. “Thanks guys, but I actually know where I’m going,” I told them, heading down the corridor.

“Yeah, but we don’t know what’s going on,” Jake said, pulling me into an empty classroom.

“And you have ten minutes to bring us up to speed,” James said, sitting at a desk and looking at me expectantly.

I sighed and set down my bag. “Okay, but you can’t tell anyone,” I began.

***

I arrived in Charms just in time and Aunt Fleur smiled at me. She was so pretty, it should be illegal. Her long, silky hair was twisted on top of her head and her slender figure was obvious, despite being hidden behind bulky robes. She flashed another smile at the class, showing off her perfect white teeth. I swear I could hear the boys drooling.

“Welcome to Charms everyone! This subject happens to be one of the most entertaining classes you will be studying. So, let’s start with Levitation,” she said, flicking her wand at Mack’s quill causing it to rise into the air. After living in England for so long, she had almost completely lost her French accent.

We practiced the wand movement and incantation with the promise that next class we would try it on an object, then Aunt Fleur dismissed us.

“Lily, can you spare a moment please?” she asked as I neared the door.

“Sure, but I have Transfiguration in ten minutes,” I said, approaching her desk.

“Don’t worry, this won’t take long,” she said, smiling.

“Bill told me you were late to his class yesterday and today you were only just in time. What is going on, dear?” she asked.

“Well, it’s an unfamiliar building and people are constantly trying to stop me to talk. I guess sometimes it’s just harder to get to where I need to be,” I lied.

She rubbed my hand affectionately. “Oh dear, I didn’t realize. I’m sorry for forgetting what your days must be like. I will pass the message onto Bill also. Now, hurry off to class,” she said.

I gave her a quick hug and bolted out the door.

***

“I can’t believe you were the only one who could do it!” I said to Mack as we sat down to lunch.

“Do what?” James asked, sitting down next to me.

“She turned her match into a needle today!” Sarah said.

As Sarah told James and Siri about Mack’s accomplishment, I saw Katy coming over, looking glum. “What…” I began only to be cut off by the look in her eyes.

“Jake told me what you’re up to, so I decided to help,” she said.

All conversation stopped and I glared at Jake. He shrugged his shoulders and avoided my gaze once Katy continued talking again.

“I skipped Ancient Runes because I needed to do research for my Arithmancy essay. But once I got to the Library, I changed my mind and grabbed a random Prophet archive,” she said, placing a copy across the table for everyone to see.

I looked at it, losing my breath with each word I read. “’Albus Dumbledor Murdered’!”

“Holy, Merlin!” Sarah whispered.

“Sarah, didn’t you already know that? Mom and Dad told all of us ages ago. Dad and Dumbledore were really close and Dad used to tell us stories about the man all the time,” I said.

“Oh yeah, I forgot I guess,” Sarah said, cocking her head to the side in thought.

Katy nodded. “That’s not why I decided to show this to you. We all knew Albus Dumbledore was murdered a long time ago, but this article has a shocking bit of information regarding his murdere. Look at this!” she said, pointing to a sentence toward the bottom.

“’Although no wizard has been caught in this horrible crime, it is rumored that Severus Snape is the wizard responsible for this tragedy’,” James read out loud.

“How the hell is Snape still alive? There has to be something more to this!” Jake whispered.

A million questions poured into my mind as Katy pocketed the article and headed off to class. Our remaining group began discussing theories when I interrupted.

“We need to get into the Headmaster’s Office,” I said.

“That shouldn’t be too hard,” Siri said, smiling at me.

Sarah and Mack just shook their heads as Siri and I began planning our pranks. We decidedly needed assistance from Uncle Fred, but we didn’t want to cause him to grow too suspicious.

“Come on, Lils. We’ve got Defense in less than five minutes,” Sarah said, pulling my arm.

I groaned and followed them out of the hall.

***

“I’m Professor Potter and I will start by telling you that I will not answer questions pertaining to my personal life and I will not give detailed accounts of the battles I have been involved in. Is that understood?” he asked.

“Yes, sir,” we all mumbled.

His face broke into his usual smile and he clapped his hands together. “Good! Now that that is out of the way, let’s move onto today’s lesson. Can anyone tell me what the most essential part of any wizard’s duel is?” he asked.

“Your second!” cried a boy from the back.

My dad smiled. “Not quite, but important nonetheless,” he said. “Anyone else?”

“A good Shield Charm?”

“Quick reflexes!”

My dad just stood there smiling while the people around me hurled wrong answers. I banged my head onto my desk and threw my hands up in frustration. “Your wand!” I said, looking around me.

“Very good, Miss Potter,” Dad said, smiling.

I glared at him. I knew he had set me up; I could see the laughter in his bright green eyes. He knew that I wouldn’t be able to keep my mouth shut when everyone around me was wrong. He knew I’d break down and show everyone he had already taught me more than they knew.

“You need your wand in order to do anything. Can anyone tell me how you would go about disarming an opponent?” he asked.

“Punch him!” the boy in the back yelled again.

The class laughed and my dad said, “That can work well but I’m thinking of a spell.”

I whispered something into Sarah’s ear and her eyes widened with recollection.

Expelliarmus,” she said, proudly.

“Well done, Miss Weasley. Now, pair up and practice,” he said.

I paired up with Sarah because we both already knew the charm well. One of the few benefits of being related to Harry Potter was being taught defensive skills at a young age, whether you had a wand or not. As soon as Dad dismissed us, I dragged Mack and Sarah aside and waited for everyone to pass us by.

“What the hell?” Sarah asked, rubbing her arm where I had just grabbed her.

“I need you two to help me,” I said, looking around to make sure no one was listening to us.

“With what?” Mack asked.

“I have a feeling my dad’s going to figure us out at some point and I need you to find a place where our group can get together without raising suspicion?” I whispered.

“Sure, Lils, we’ll figure something out,” Sarah said, shrugging.

“Okay then, you two get to it,” I told them, heading back down the hallway.

“Where are you going?” Mack asked.

“I have some actual homework to finish,” I said.
Chapter 6 Trick and Treat by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Harry attempts to corner Sirius, Brian and Lily into revealing their plan, but his attempt...backfires slightly. The three Potter children have another run in with the ever threatening Snape which ends with yet another surprise.
CH. 6: Trick and Treat

The next few weeks were filled with increasingly hard classes, loads of homework, and more researching. By now, everyone was involved, which made relaying information harder. I soon realized that it was abnormal for people of different houses to interact on a regular basis, even if it was family. I had finally given up on the belief that Dad would spill a bunch of information to us, even if we pressed him for it by using all of our acquired knowledge. Our source of information definitely had to come from somewhere else, more specifically, someone else. We long ago decided that we needed to talk to Dumbledore, so we started misbehaving and drawing attention to ourselves, something I didn’t enjoy, but still participated in. Siri and I were practically tied for number of detentions as we pulled most pranks together.

Halloween Night turned out to be very interesting. My classes that day provided little information, but at dinner, our group used the holiday occasion as an excuse to isolate ourselves at the end of the Hufflepuff table.

“I’m beginning to think the Dark Side has a spy, Lils. If you read between the lines, a double crosser is the only explanation. Voldemort knew every move your grandparents made, every single one! Look at this,” Katy said, indicating a passage from the book she was reading.

“’The Order of the Phoenix once again found itself facing Voldemort. The Dark Wizard and his Death Eaters (see Chapter 4) greatly outnumbered Albus Dumbledore and his followers. During a secret meeting, the Order found their meeting location surrounded and a fierce battle ensued. It is unknown who exactly was involved, but it is believed that Voldemort himself was there and thwarted eventually’,” I read out loud, my voice becoming raspier with each word.

“’Death Eaters’?” Mack asked, taking the book. “Who are they?”

“Voldemort’s followers, they were like an elite class of evil people who seemed to think their life mission was to do Voldemort’s bidding,” I said, stabbing my fork into my piece of chicken. “How did Voldemort know where the meeting was?”

“That’s why I think there was a spy; it’s the only logical explanation. Chapter three talks about how covert the Order was; it was impossible to penetrate without inside knowledge,” Katy said, shaking her head.

“Dad’s coming!” Bry exclaimed, ducking his head behind his book.

Katy slyly put the book back in her bag as James changed the topic.

“Has your dad got any new jokes out, Sarah?” he asked.

“He won’t tell me, but I think he’s got something up his sleeve. Mum’s in a bit of a mood and that usually means he’s been testing items out on her,” Sarah said, smiling.

“Hey, kids, Happy Halloween,” Dad said with a smile.

We all repeated the greeting back as he watched us curiously.

“Siri, Bry, and Lils, will you please come to my office when you’re finished eating?” he asked, placing a hand on both of my brothers’ shoulders.

“Sure, Dad,” Siri said as Bry and I nodded.

“Good, I’ll see you in a bit then,” he said, walking away.

“What do you think he wants?” Molly asked.

“No idea,” Siri said, stuffing potatoes in his mouth.

***

When I entered Dad’s office with my brothers, I saw Dad calmly tapping his fingers on the desk. I could tell my brothers were just as curious as I. What did Dad really want?

“Sit,” he said, simply.

“Dad, what’s going on?” I said, still standing in the doorway.

“Sit,” he repeated.

I placed myself between my brothers, never taking my eyes off my dad. I clenched each of my brother’s hands and squeezed; something about Dad’s face told me this would not be a nice chat.

“What’s going on? I need an explanation for your actions now,” he said, standing in front of us.

“Dad, I’m confused. What actions are you talking about?” Bry asked, trying to sound innocent. I couldn’t help but notice that he wasn’t doing that great of a job, which would make things difficult.

Dad just glared at us with a look he reserved only for when we were in big trouble. The last time the three of us had been interrogated this way was when Mum’s wand had disappeared and Ced’s face mysteriously became covered in boils.

“Sirius, you have three detentions this week and two are from Fleur, who hardly ever punishes Gryffindors! Lily, I thought after your late night episode you would’ve learned your lesson, but Hermione tells me you’re misbehaving in class, Bill’s giving you detentions for tardiness, and Neville tells me you never do your homework!” he said, his voice gaining volume.

I squeezed Siri and Bry’s hands tighter. We couldn’t give in to him now; he was just going to yell a bit more and then send us to bed. If we stayed strong, we’d make it through this!

“And Brian! You are distracting lessons with off topic questions, skipping class, and participating in pranks with your brother and sister. I admit that I expected trouble from Sirius and Lily, but you are not one to enjoy those types of activities. So, I ask again, what is going on?”

We sat there in silence. Of course we were intentionally doing every one of those things to gain attention from Snape. We needed to talk to Dumbledore again, and Dumbledore was in Snape’s office.

“Adolescence, Dad,” Siri said, shrugging.

“Don’t stand there and tell us you never got into any trouble, Dad! You were our age once and I’m sure you were no angel,” I accused.

“My childhood antics are not the issue here. I was never one to use my status to my advantage while I was attending school. I behaved like an average student!” he said, sitting at his desk.

“Um, Dad?” Bry asked, walking up to look Dad in the eye.

“Yes, Brian?”

“If you didn’t kill Voldemort until after you left Hogwarts, then why would you have had a high status while you were here?”

Siri and I grinned as Dad’s face began to pale slightly. He had never told us the truth about his scar and how Gran and Grandad Potter died. Now, Bry just stood there looking curious, pretending to be unaware of the obvious trap he had led our Dad into.

“What?” Dad asked, his voice sounding dry.

“Well, think about it logically, Dad. Why would you have any type of status when you were a student? You didn’t do anything before coming to Hogwarts to gain you attention, right?” I asked, in a perfectly innocent voice.

“There are things about my life, and your mother’s too, that you are just too young to understand. When you are old enough, I promise I will elaborate further. But for now, you three have to believe me when I say you are too young to understand the totality of the situation, of the circumstances that brought the Potter name to such fame in our world,” Dad said.

“Oh, we understand, Dad. It’s a shame that hundreds of other people, complete strangers at that, know more about our family history than members of our family,” I responded.

“Lily, you and your brothers deserve the right to live a semi carefree life. I don’t want to overexpose you, to cause you to live your life constantly glancing over your shoulder and have fear of the unknown. If you’re too scared to attempt an unknown, then how will you ever grow?” he asked, seriously.

“Dad, what lesson do you think we’re learning from your actions right now? You defending your choice to hide things says that lying is okay. So, it’s okay to lie always or only when you do it? Or only when it’s for the purpose of good?” Bry asked.

Dad just shook his head at us. “That’s not what I’m saying at all, Brian.”

“That’s not an answer!” Bry responded, clearly growing angry.

I stood up and headed toward the door. “Come on, apparently we have some more growing to do before we can understand what the difference is between a lie of omission and an outright lie,” I said, opening the door.

Bry smirked at Siri as they headed back to join me. We were barely able to hold in our smiles as we exited Dad’s office and once we entered the corridor. I giggled.

“Isn’t it nice to know we can actually apply History of Magic to everyday life?” I asked as we headed back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

“What time is it?” Bry asked, noticing the empty hallways and echoing silence.

“Past curfew,” a voice snarled behind us.

The three of us froze in terror as Snape came up to us. I could feel his hot breath on the back of my neck and smell the fumes of Potion brewing on his hands as he grabbed our shoulders.

“One, two, three Potters, lucky me,” he said coldly.

“Please, sir. We were with our father being reprimanded for our actions over the past few weeks,” Bry squeaked.

“Apparently, your father was unsuccessful. Perhaps I can have a much more effective impact on you,” he said, guiding us to his office.

Bry looked pale but Siri flashed a smile. “Lucky us: trick and treat!”

I held in a laugh as I joined the queue, pretending to be scared, but actually excited. As Snape led us around the corner, an idea came to me. I reached into my pocket and popped a sweet into my mouth.

***

As soon as we entered Snape’s office, I glanced at Dumbledore’s portrait. He wasn’t sleeping like the others; in fact he gave me a look that caused me to slow my pace. I suddenly got the feeling that he knew what we were doing.

“Sit down!” Snape ordered.

I quickly took my seat, trying to convince Snape (and myself) that he didn’t frighten me.

“So,” Snape said, taking his seat. “I have been hearing things lately about you three, interesting things.”

“Like what, sir?” Siri asked, crossing his legs and leaning back in his chair. I had to hold in a grin, Siri looked completely comfortable. He was gazing at Snape as if the two were old friends settling down for a catching up chat.

“You three are causing trouble, even you!” Snape said, glaring at Bry.

“Tr-trouble, sir?” Bry squeaked out.

“You three put powdered Puking Pasties in the Slytherin’s pumpkin juice, dropped a case of Dungbombs in the corridor leading to the Slytherin Common Room, and were responsible for the spider stampede two weeks ago!” Snape said, glaring at each of us.

“Sir, surely these deeds require lots of magical knowledge. I’m only a first year, so I know very little, definitely not enough to carry out those actions,” I said, innocently.

He was in my face within the blink of an eye; I swear I never saw him move from his desk! His face was blocking my peripheral view of Siri and Bry. He sneered his teeth at me, feeding off the fear he felt radiating off of me.

“You, Lily, are more cunning than I previously thought. I know you are leading your group in your mysterious mission. Yes, I know you are up to something. You may be able to fool you father with pleading eyes and vague explanations, but it will take more to fool me!” he whispered, finally backing away.

My breathing became shallow and my palms were sweating. I felt empty, like all of my energy had just been sucked out of my body. I could feel the color draining from my face and I quickly motioned to Siri.

“Lily? Lily, what’s wrong?” Siri asked, rising from his chair.

I felt my body go rigid and Siri catch me as I slid off the chair. “Bry, go get Dad!” I heard Siri yell. His voice sounded different, muffled and distant.

“Stay here, child. My way will be faster!” Snape yelled.

“He’s going to Floo Dad,” Siri whispered.

“POTTER!” I heard Snape yell. “Damn, he’s not in his office. No one leaves this room…no one!”

I heard footsteps, but the edge of my vision had gone black so I didn’t see anyone leave.

“Quickly, Bry, he’ll have it here somewhere,” Siri yelled.

I coughed. My lungs were burning and my throat was rapidly swelling shut. “Hurry,” I whispered, clenching Siri’s shirt in my hand.

“Found it!” Bry yelled.

I barely saw him as he uncorked a potion and forced the liquid into my mouth. Siri wasn’t by me anymore, but Bry helped me up into a sitting position and began rubbing my back. My vision began to clear and my lungs had stopped burning just as Dad flew in and rushed to me.

“Lily, what happened?” he asked me.

My throat was still swollen and my breathing wasn’t normal yet, so I just shook my head.

“Dad, look at this,” Siri said, handing him a sweet wrapper.

I saw Dad look at the wrapper and then at me. “Lily, did you eat this?” he asked in a whispered tone.

I nodded and forced myself to swallow. “Yes, but I didn’t think it had chocolate in it, Dad. It’s a Muggle candy that I got from Mack,” I explained, slowly.

He nodded and picked me up. “Severus, why you even had to punish them is beyond me. You are completely aware they were with me and I had given them permission to be out past curfew. If I thought I could convince you otherwise, I would try but for the time being, perhaps you could restrain yourself from any futher punishment right now. I think they’ve had enough scares for tonight,” Dad said, leading Bry and Siri out.

“How did you stop the reaction?” Dad asked as we headed to the Gryffindor Common Room.

“Brian gave me a potion,” I rasped, my throat still slightly sore.

“Well done, Brian. Your mother would’ve murdered me if Lils had been taken to St. Mungo’s,” he said, stopping at the Fat Lady.

“She always says her worst nightmare is walking into a room and seeing one of her children in a bed,” Siri said, taking my hand and leading Bry and me into the common room.

“Bry, don’t stay here too late and Siri, take care of your sister,” Dad said before the portrait hole closed.

I collapsed into a chair but couldn’t stop the grin forming across my face. “So?” I asked, looking at my brothers.

“Lils, if you ever do that to me again…just don’t, okay? I’ve got to get back to my dorm. Let me know what you find out,” Bry said, still looking pale.

With a nod from Siri and me, he left.

“I agree, Lils. Not a good idea to do that at all. What if neither of us knew what to do? Merlin, your face! I don’t think I’ve ever been so worried about you!” Siri said, pacing in front of me.

“All right, I’m sorry! Tell me you told him,” I said, sitting up.

Siri turned to me. “He’ll be here in ten minutes,” he said.

“Good! Wait, how will he come here?”

Siri shrugged and fell into a nearby chair. “Don’t ask me, Lils. You’re clearly the one in control.”
Chapter 7 Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
ah, yes...it's Quidditch time. With all that is going on, I forgot about what the rest of Hogwarts looks forward to! So, here is the ever obsessive Quidditch game, with a few other things too...
Ch. 7 Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff



While we waited, I tried to regain my strength from my little episode. For as long as I can remember, chocolate and I have had a horrible relationship. My mum is a Healer and they often use chocolate as a remedy for many energy depriving encounters because for most people, chocolate restores energy and warmth. It has the opposite effect on me. I nearly died when I was two and ate a Chocolate Frog. Mum saved me with a quick does of a Rejuvenating Potion and since that day, everyone in our family knew I couldn’t have chocolate. I’m positive that being allergic to chocolate is the worst allergy one could ever have…chocolate is so good!



I was beginning to feel guilty for not warning my brothers. When the idea popped into my mind, I overlooked the part where my brothers were unaware of the entire act. So, typical of me, act first, think later, I really need to work on that.



“Siri, I’m really sorry. It seemed like a much better idea in my head,” I said, sitting up and looking at him.



He nodded but didn’t say anything. I watched him frown and rub his temples with a gloomy expression on his face.



“What’s wrong?” I asked, walking over to him.



“I’m just really confused, Lils,” he said, leaning back in his chair.



“As am I,” came a voice behind us.



We turned and saw Dumbledore getting comfortable in a painting of the countryside. He smiled and sat down on the lush grass, crossing his legs and piercing us with a look of interest.



“Hello, sir. Thank you for agreeing to talk to us,” I said, approaching his temporary portrait home.



“Young Miss Potter, I am and will always be a teacher. If a student desires knowledge, I am obligated to supply it,” he said.



“Well, we have about a million things we desire to know,” Siri said, pulling a chair closer to the wall. I nodded and joined him, sitting down so my butt only rested on half of the seat.



“I’m sure you do, but there is something I’d like to know about your performance in the Headmaster’s Office earlier,” he said, looking right at me.



I shifted uncomfortably. I barely knew this man, but the thought of disappointing him made me feel horrible.



“Did you purposely cause the episode merely to find a moment to ask me to meet you?” Dumbledore asked.



I stared at the laces on my sneakers; such lovely laces they were. “Yes, sir,” I whispered.



“In the future, if you desire to speak to me, you can always ask one of the portraits around the castle to relay a message,” he said, causing me to look up in shock.



That was it? No yelling? No lecture on being irresponsible? No guilt trip for exploiting an allergy? Who was this man?



“Tell us about the Prophecy,” I finally said.



He closed his eyes and when he opened them he tilted his head thoughtfully. “I think you should tell me about it,” he replied, his blue eyes twinkling.



“I can’t stay up all night decoding cryptic answers, I have Quidditch tomorrow. Let me know what he tells you, Lils, if you can figure it out,” Siri said, ruffling my hair and nodding curtly to Dumbledore.



I waited until I heard Siri close his dormitory door before turning back to the ancient man.



“What about you, Lily?” he asked, smiling.



I smiled back at him. “I have all night, sir,” I said.



“Very well. Please tell me what you know. How about tonight we just stick to the Prophecy, though? I think we should leave other issues alone for the moment,” he said, eyes bright with amusement.



I momentarily lost my train of thought. This man knew so much more than he was telling me. I felt color rising in my cheeks but quickly recovered and looked him in the eye.



“I know there was a Prophecy concerning my dad and Voldemort because Professor Binns mentioned it in class. He didn’t tell use what the Prophecy said, though, and I would like to know,” I told him.



Dumbledore smiled knowingly and I found it a bit annoying. “He couldn’t tell you because he doesn’t know,” he finally said.



I furrowed my brow. I didn’t understand what that meant.



“You see, Miss Potter, not everyone has access to a Prophecy. The Ministry records them and keeps them all on record, but only the Seer and any witnesses really know what a specific one contains. Ancient Magic prevents accessing the contents by force and only those the Prophecy applies to can gain official access to the record. It is a very complicated process,” he explained.



I contemplated this for a moment as a yawn escaped my lips. “So, the only people who know a specific Prophecy are the Seer, the witnesses, and the person the vision is about. Which means I have to find and ask the Seer or the witness because asking Voldemort is impossible and Dad wouldn’t tell me,” I said.



“Why do you want to know what the Prophecy contained in the first place?” he asked.



I was about to answer when a thought hit me. I knew Dumbledore was a close friend of Dad’s because Mum and him talked about Dumbledore all the time. The wisdom in the eyes of the man gazing at me caused me to wonder if he held all the answers I was looking for.



“You were the witness!” I exclaimed.



He looked shocked for a moment, but he nodded.



“So you can tell me! You can tell me what was said can’t you, sir?” I asked, hope filling up inside me.



He pondered me for a moment. “I think you have stumbled upon enough information for tonight. It is not my place to divulge that information to you, especially because there is a level of understanding you must meet first,” he said.



I felt confusion (and annoyance) spill into my face as the hope previously filling inside me evaporated. I stood up and headed towards the stairs after throwing Dumbledore a small wave.



“I have a question for you, Miss Potter,” he said, pushing himself up off the grass and causing me to turn back and face him.



“Yes, sir?”



“Why are you putting so much effort into finding out about your father’s past?” he asked, his blue eyes searching.



“Because he’s putting so much effort into hiding it, sir,” I replied and climbed the stairs.



Before closing the door I swear I heard him mutter, “Some things are not worth the effort, my dear, and I wish you and your father would see that.”



***



Sarah woke me at dawn with a huge smile on her face. I groaned and threw my pillow at her.



“Hey!” she cried as I pulled my covers over my head.



“Lils, get up, it’s Quidditch today!” Sarah said, pounding my back with my own pillow.



“Sarah, the match starts at ten, let me sleep!” I yelled, my voice muffled by my sheets.



The door crashed open and Pam and Trish came in screaming loudly. “Put on your red and gold girls! We’ve got a match to go to!” I heard Pam yell.



I groaned again and got out of bed, glaring at the Wood twins as I headed to the bathroom. Sarah followed me, a look of curiosity on her face.



“What’s going on?” she asked me.



“What do you mean?” I asked her reflection as I brushed my teeth.



“Well, you weren’t in bed last night when we all turned in and I know something happened because Uncle Harry asked Mack if she gave you chocolate,” she told me.



I choked as I spit the toothpaste out of my mouth. “What?”



Sarah nodded. “I can’t believe you, Lily! Purposely eating chocolate, are you insane? And you should have seen Mack’s face when Uncle Harry told her what happened! She had no idea what that stuff does to you!”



I felt shame wash over me again as I remembered how Siri and Bry had reacted. “I’ll talk to her,” I said.



“I bloody well hope so,” I heard Sarah mumble.



***



Sarah, Mack, and I followed the crowd out to the pitch. It was a beautiful autumn day and I knew conditions were perfect for Quidditch. A slight breeze ruffled my black hair as we entered the stadium and found seats.



“Mack, I am truly sorry,” I said again as she plopped down beside me.



“Lily, it’s okay. Just, uh, don’t hide stuff from me anymore,” Mack replied, giving me a hug.



We jumped up and began cheering as the Gryffindors marched onto the field. I saw Siri glance around, look at me, and touch his nose. I laughed and waved as Bry pushed his way to us, stopping next to Mack.



“You two still doing that nose thing?” Bry yelled over the roaring crowd.



I nodded and he just shook his head.



“Jeez, Lils, it seems like your entire family is down there!” Mack said, scanning the players.



“They’re my family too!” Sarah said, causing Bry to nod.



Mack was partially right though, out of the seven players on our team, three of them were considered family. Siri and James are Chasers along with Natalie Thomas, and Jake is a Beater with a fifth year I didn’t know. Our Keeper’s name is Acker and our Seeker is a girl by the name of Antram. My cousin, Molly (Sarah’s sister), was also on the field as a Beater for Hufflepuff.



“And they’re off! Gryffindor in possession. Potter passes to Thomas, she’s heading to the goal! Thomas passes to Lupin, Lupin shoots… HE SCORES! 10-0 Gryffindor!”



“Way to go, James!” I screamed.



We watched as Hufflepuff controlled the Quaffle and headed toward our goal. “Smith changes directions, shoots… ACKER SAVES IT!!! Excellent save for the Gryffindor Captain!”



As the group around me began cheering again, I looked to see who was commentating. I was surprised to see Amber, a seventh year Ravenclaw girl, behind the megaphone speaking so enthusiastically. Bry elbowed me and pointed up. Siri was heading to the goal and no one was nearby to stop him. I started hopping in anticipation when I saw a Bludger fly at him.



“Siri!” Bry, Sarah, and I yelled in unison as the Bludger narrowly missed his face, causing him to fly off course.



“Nice play by Hufflepuff Beater, Weasley and Hufflepuff gains control,” Amber said.



Sarah shook her head but made no comment. Mack looked at me and I smiled a half-smile.



“Family rule, all is fair in Quidditch,” I said.



Bry laughed at Mack’s expression and Amber’s voice rang throughout the stadium. “Hufflepuff scores! 80-70 Gryffindor!”



And so the game went on for what seemed like hours, neither Seeker showing signs of spotting the Snitch, and I was getting anxious. My throat was getting sore from screaming and my legs were cramping from jumping up and down so much.



I watched James score and do a quick loop in celebration. Suddenly, Antram went into a spectacular dive. She had obviously seen the Snitch. I grabbed Sarah and Mack’s arms in anxiety as the crowd grew restless. The Hufflepuff Seeker was miles behind the chase and I knew we were going to win.



“Go, go, go!” we all screamed.



Antram rose up with her fist in the air and a triumphant smile visible from the stands.



“Antram has the Snitch! GRYFFINDOR WINS 370-170!” Amber screamed as we rushed the field.



I had never been to a Hogwarts Quidditch match before, so I had no idea how out of control the scene was going to be. People were mobbing our team, making it impossible for me to get to Siri, Jake, or James. Suddenly, an arm grabbed my hand and yanked me through the crowd. I saw Jake’s beaming face before he enveloped me in a hug.



“WE WON!” he yelled, sweat flying off his face.



“I know,” I said, laughing.



We hugged again as I saw Siri running towards me.



“YEAH!” Siri yelled, hugging both Jake and me.



The crowd finally began to thin and I saw Sarah, Mack, and James heading my way. Siri gave Sarah and Mack quick hugs before high-fiving James and heading to the Locker Room.



“Good game,” I said, giving James a quick hug.



“Thanks!” he said, smiling and following Siri.



Sarah, Mack, and I headed back to the castle, euphoria causing us to wear permanent smiles and analyze the match with high-speed speech.

Chapter 8 - The Dream by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
I really hope you all like this chapter...let me know what you think!
Ch. 8 The Dream

I’ve decided that I absolutely love this place! The party that followed the match was so fun and went on forever. There was tons of food, drinks, and music and everyone had a great time. By the time I climbed into bed, I realized that I didn’t get any homework done. Sighing as I pulled up my covers, I told myself tomorrow was going to be spent entirely on schoolwork. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I was in a dark room that I didn’t recognize. A lone candle stood flickering on a small wooden table in the center. I watched as the flame cast a small amount of light throughout the room. There was an old woman sitting in the corner. She seemed to be cowering, her clothes were tattered and her graying hair stood out at odd angles.

“Ma’am?” I asked, cautiously leaning towards her.

She didn’t move or blink. She made no indication of acknowledging my presence. Her glossy brown eyes were dull and her hair was changing from gray to white. I moved to stand up and back away but her hand suddenly grabbed the front of my shirt. The candle blew out and the room became bitterly cold in an instant. Her touch brought a chill to my spine and my heart began pumping madly. I tried to pry her fingers off but she wouldn’t let me go. I began to panic.

“Please! Please, ma’am, let me go!” I cried, frantically trying to break her grasp.

“It is not over. It will never be so. All have lost and all have won,” she whispered.

“Wh…what?” I asked, feeling more fear creep into me.

“It will always be this way, you must see that! The temptation is too great to ignore. She is rising and she will not stop!”

“Who?” I asked, curiosity briefly overtaking fear.

“She will kill many for many reasons. Few will be able to conquer her. The Dark Times will return,” she rasped, finally letting me go.

“I have no idea what you’re on about!” I said, walking away.

As I neared where the table was, an image poured into my mind. I saw blurry figures, faceless and in black and white, something red on the ground and the sound of someone crying. As I closed my eyes to explore further a pain shot through my head and I screamed.

“Lily! Lily! Oh my god, oh my god!” a voice yelled.

I felt a hand slap my face and forced my eyes to open. Sarah was leaning over me, her face white with fear. I reached up to push my hair out of my face and felt my forehead. It was drenched with sweat and it felt icy cold too.

“Lily, can you hear me?” Sarah’s voice called.

My eyes slowly focused on my surroundings. I was in the dorm, tangled in my sheets… on the floor. How did I end up on the floor?

“Wha… what happened?” I whispered.

Four pale faces peered down at me, concern etched into each one. I was about to say something when the scene flashed again; two faceless figures, one standing over the other, blood pooling on the ground…

“I’m going to be sick,” I managed to say before turning and retching on the floor.

Mack started crying, Pam and Trish just sat there in shock. I heard Sarah run out and tried to sit up. Mack pushed me back down as Trish cleaned up my vomit. I felt weak. I was shaking all over and I could feel the sweat and tears running down my face. Tears? When did I start crying?

“Mack, what’s happening?” I whispered, trying desperately to hide the fear in my voice.

A male cry came from outside the door followed by numerous thumps. I saw Pam’s blurred form go see what had happened. I tried again to sit up, but Mack didn’t need to push me back down this time, I could barely move.

Sarah returned and placed her face in front of mine. She had tears running down her face, but she managed a weak smile. And then my dad’s face appeared and I felt him lifting me up. I began to feel dizzy. I had no idea what was happening to me. I couldn’t stop shaking and I began to have to fight to remain awake.

I heard a murmured conversation as Dad carried me out the portrait hole. I vaguely recognized the voices, but I couldn’t place them. I pushed back the urge to sleep again, knowing I wouldn’t be able to fight it much longer. I tried to squeeze Dad’s hand, but I couldn’t. Before I gave into the sleepiness that was overcoming me I whispered, “Daddy, what’s happening?”

And then it went dark.

***

I opened my eyes and saw a white ceiling above my head. I knew I wasn’t in the dorm anymore because that ceiling was red. I turned my head to my right and saw my dad. He had his head in his hands and hadn’t noticed me waking up.

“Dad? What am I doing here? What’s going on?” I asked, trying to sit up. I found moving surprisingly difficult.

Dad looked at me, relief spreading all over his face. “Oh, Lily,” he said, hugging me.

I looked at him with a puzzled expression. He looked tired and even a little frightened. I smiled at him in an attempt to ease his stress. “Can you please tell me what’s going on?” I asked, noticing I was in the Hospital Wing.

“Lily, what is the last thing you remember?” he asked.

“Going to bed after the party,” I told him, shrugging.

“Lily, honey, think hard,” he said, watching me closely.

I leaned back and followed his request. I remembered Jake rubbing an éclair on my head at the party, Siri hexing him and cleaning me off, going up to bed and…

“The old woman in the room!” I said, sitting up quickly and grimacing in pain.

Dad edged closer, putting his face level with mine. I closed my eyes and searched my brain to give him more details. “I was in this room and there was this old woman curled up in the corner. I didn’t know her, but I went over to her and spoke. She acted like she didn’t hear me. When I turned to leave, she grabbed me and rambled a bunch of nonsense about it not being over because the temptation was too strong. Some girl was going to kill someone, but she didn’t say who. And then she said the Dark Times would return or something like that. Honestly, Dad, it was all nonsense! Nothing she said made any sense to me,” I told him.

He stood up and walked to the foot of my bed. “Anything else?”

He saw my eyes widen and I knew I had gone pale. “What else, Lily?” he asked.

“I…I saw…something,” I said, stopping the scene from replaying. “There was…two people, one standing above the other and lots of, um, blood.”

“Who? Who was it?” he asked.

“I don’t know, I didn’t see faces. Listen, Dad, what’s going on?” I asked him.

He grabbed my hand as he sat down on my bed. Gently running his other hand over my forehead, he sighed and said, “Lily, I think you’ve had a vision.”

***

Dad left shortly after telling me I may have had a vision, leaving me alone, confused, and scared. If I did have a vision, then that means that…what I saw…was that going to actually happen? My stomach lurched at the thought and I coughed from holding back the rising vomit. Was Dad saying that I could be a Seer? No, no, no, no. No one else in our family had that ability and I sure as hell wasn’t the one who wanted it! Besides, if I did have the ability to See, how come I’m just now being exposed to it? My head started to hurt from all the thinking I was doing so I fell back into the bed and succeeded in whacking the back of my head against the headboard. Nice work, Lily!

A kind looking witch came around the curtain with a potion in her hand. I managed a weak smile as a greeting. “Hello, dear, I’m Madam Pomfrey and you need to take this,” she said, handing me a large glass of smoking potion.

“Erm…why?” I asked, peering at the concoction before me. It was still bubbling slightly and was the color of mustard. The smell resembled something like feet and I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

“Hmph! Just like your father you are! I was hoping the resemblance would only be physical, but apparently you share his personality also,” she said, glaring at me.

“Sorry,” I mumbled, taking the glass.

The door flew open to reveal the small form of my mum. She crossed the room quickly and began fretting the instant she reached my side. Madam Pomfrey didn’t attempt to interfere or tell my mum to stop. In fact, I think my mum frightened her a bit in the state she was in. My mum frightened lots of people when she seemed as irritated as this.

“How are you feeling, honey?” she asked, touching my forehead and then taking my pulse.

“Mum…Mum, I’m fine!” I said, attempting to move out of her grasp.

“Of course you are,” she said, picking up my chart. Her eyes became narrower the longer she read. I was getting frightened now. She wasn’t angry so much now, I got the feeling she was just confused and frightened herself.

“Mum, is there something wrong with me?” I asked as her expression became cloudy.

“Absolutely not, dear,” she said, kissing my head. “I just need to find your father.”

“Why?” I asked as she headed for the door.

She flashed me a small smile. “I need to talk to him. He should not have left you alone,” she said, walking out the door.

I watched her leave, a frown appearing on my face. If he shouldn’t have left me alone, then why did she?

***

I was allowed to return to the common room after dinner and I was immediately pelted with hugs from Sarah, Mack, Jake, James, and Siri. Siri wouldn’t let me go for at least five minutes, which was a bit unnerving.

“Siri, you’re suffocating me!” I whispered.

We all laughed as he let go, blushing. I went and started working on my Potions essay while Siri and James played Wizard’s Chess and Jake, Sarah, and Mack played Exploding Snap. Despite my group pretending nothing was wrong, I knew my dad had told them something. Especially since most people kept staring at me and glancing away the minute I looked up.

“Siri?” I asked, putting the finishing touches on my essay.

“Huh?” he asked, concentrating on his Knight beating James’ Bishop off the board.

“Why is everyone looking at me like I have purple knickers on my head?” I asked, sitting between Jake and James.

“Did you say you wanted to wear purple knickers on your head, Lils?” Jake asked, pointing his wand at me.

I shot him a glare. “No, you heard me right, stop trying to change the subject,” I said, casting a glance at Siri.

James shifted out of his seat and kneeled in front of me. “How do you feel, Lily? Do you feel week or nauseous?” he asked, his eyes boring into mine.

“No, I feel fine!” I said, knowing full well I was lying. James knew too and simply shook his head.

I stood up and dragged Sarah and Mack to a separate corner where the boys wouldn’t hear us. “I need you to tell me what happened,” I told them.

Sarah sighed. “I heard you mumbling so I walked over to tell you to shut up, but you weren’t in your bed. I saw you were on the floor and still mumbling and I was about to shake you to wake you up, but you started thrashing like mad. I grabbed you and tried to shake you awake, and then you screamed. I’ve never, in my entire life, heard you scream like that,” she said, starting to shake a little.

I just stared at her at a loss for words. I didn’t remember screaming; I didn’t remember feeling her shake me at all, either.

“You were crying and we couldn’t wake you until Sarah slapped you. You had this confused look on your face, like you didn’t know who we were or where you were. It was so frightening, Lily… you looked lost,” Mack said, tears welling in her eyes.

“Then… you went rigid again and your eyes became, well… weird is the only way to describe it. You retched on the floor so I ran for Uncle Harry and he came and took you away,” Sarah said.

The memory of last night faded in and out as they talked. Without a word I stood up and headed to the dormitory. I was getting scared and I didn’t want the entire house to see me break down.

“Lils?” I heard Siri call after me, but I ignored him and headed up the stairs.

I shut the door and climbed into bed. As I gazed at the hanging above me, I began to wonder if Dad was right. If it really was a vision, then what did it mean? Who was the woman in the corner? What did her message mean? Who were the two people I had seen?

I let out one of my trademark groans and rolled onto my stomach. I knew this wasn’t over. I’d probably be seeing some form of that dream, or vision of whatever it was, every time I closed my eyes. Until I figured this out, I wouldn’t be able to focus on anything else, including my mission to unravel the web of lies my parents had spun.

I suddenly sat up and grabbed a quill and parchment and began scribbling down every detail from the dream I could remember. The person I would be sending the letter to was odd enough to give me some insight.
Chapter 9 L. Potter v. Binns, Abernathy and H. Potter by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
I don't really have anything to say, except this chapter was really hard to write so I hope you all like it.
Ch. 9 L. Potter v. Binns, Abernathy and H. Potter

I continued to revisit the room with the old woman every night and after a week, my lack of sleep began to wear me down. But I was still determined to figure out something whether it be why I was having these dreams or what my parents were hiding. Although nothing new had been discovered and we were shooting out theories so outrageous they would never be right, every spare moment any Potter, Weasley or Lupin had was spent investigating something.

About two weeks after sending the letter, I woke up late and found the dorm empty. I quickly jumped out of bed, changed into my uniform, and bolted out the door. I reached the Great Hall and collapsed next to James.

“Running late, Lil?” Jake asked, smirking.

“Maybe I would’ve gotten more sleep if someone’s plan had actually worked!” I said, glaring at him.

“What plan?” James asked.

“Ugh, I don’t want to talk about it,” I said, quickly loading my plate and digging in.

“Fine, I’ll tell them,” Jake said, brushing crumbs off his hands. “Lils and I were trying to get into the Restricted Section in the Library yesterday. She’s researching a theory and I just like causing trouble. So, I sort of caused a bit of a distraction so Lily could slip by Madam Reed.”

“A bit? Maybe in your mind, Jake! Reed freaked out and I thought she was going to kill us,” I said.

“What did you do?” Sarah asked.

“Well, Uncle Fred sent me a new prototype, he called them Chaotic Cameras. But the spell isn’t exactly perfected yet. Rather than just constantly flashing and clicking random pictures, they sort of attacked. They flew all around Madam Reed and started whacking her with lens caps,” Jake explained.

Siri, James, Mack, and Sarah were doubled over with laughter. I had to admit the whole incident was hilarious, until Madam Reed dropped detention on Jake and me. Instead of doing my Defense homework last night, I spent four hours cataloging books.

“We’re going to be late for Binns!” Sarah said.

I sighed. Aside from learning the truth about the deaths of Grandpa and Grandma Potter and the Prophecy, I hadn’t really learned anything new. I stood up and headed to class to listen to Binns drone on about Voldemort’s suspected hide-outs.

***

“Most Ministry officials at the time believed Voldemort to be dead. However, Albus Dumbledore was under the assumption Voldemort was hiding abroad. It wasn’t until 1995, when events occurred that brought few to believe Voldemort had not actually died that day in Godric’s Hollow,” Binns said, reading from his notes.

I immediately became interested and raised my hand.

“Yes, Miss?”

“If the Killing Curse was reflected back onto Voldemort in Godric’s Hollow, how did he survive?” I asked.

He peered at me. “I do not know the answer to that question. As a scholar, I can say that there was most likely immense Dark Magic involved and I know little about that branch of magic,” he said.

“So we just accept it? No on has tried to figure out how Voldemort survived?” I asked.

“Miss, no Dark Wizard has or ever will match the power Voldemort possessed. He was barely human and our world has learned much from the misery he inflicted. I believe it impossible that we will ever find our world in that state ever again. History teaches us, it shows us our triumphs and mistakes. I believe no one that survived those Dark Times will let that point in History repeat itself! Now, I will continue with relevant information with no further interruptions!” he said.

I sighed. In my opinion, where Voldemort was before showing himself wasn’t nearly as mysterious as how he was able to escape death in the first place.

***

“Dad’s going to kill me!” I whispered to Sarah as we entered Defense class.

“You want to try and charm a copy mine really quick?” she offered as Mack and I sat down on either side of her.

“Thanks, but I think that would anger him more,” I said, shrugging.

“Good afternoon! Before we get started, please hand in your assignments,” Dad said, sitting at his desk.

I sank into my seat as everyone walked up to him and turned in their work. The Abernathy girl smirked as she passed by me and nudged the fat girl behind her. They laughed, so I glared at them. As the two Slytherins headed back to their desk, the Abernathy girl leaned over.

“Daddy’s going to be very angry at his little girl. Maybe she shouldn’t be spending so much time with Muggleborn wenches and werewolf spawn,” she hissed.

Sarah grabbed the back of my robes to prevent me from lunging at Abernathy. “Shut your trap, wench!” I spat.

“LILLIAN!”

I realized too late that my comment was louder than I meant it to be. Silence rang throughout the room as Dad loomed over me.

“Miss Potter, I’d like you to stay after class,” he said.

“Yes, sir” I mumbled.

Sarah and Mack made to protest, but I silenced them with a shake of my head. I knew that any reasons they gave my dad for my outburst wouldn’t erase the fact that I said what I said. Oh, how I loathed that Abernathy girl. She strutted around, acting like she knew so much more than anyone else. Before our mutual dislike had manifested, I had asked her how she knew so much, and if she would share her knowledge. She laughed in my face and said she’d tell me more when I was older, obviously my parents didn’t think I could handle the truth because I was too weak. Our relationship…blossomed quite quickly from that point.

For the rest of the lesson, I ignored my dad and glared at the Abernathy girl. I wasn’t surprised to see her meet my glare with one of her own.

***

I waited until everyone left to approach my dad at his desk. He closed the door with a flick of his wand and looked at me.

“I can’t believe you, Lily! What has Rebecca Abernathy ever done to you?” he asked.

Rebecca…that was her name.

“Well?” he asked again.

“She constantly provokes me, Dad. Every class we have together, every time we run into each other, she’s got some smart ass comment flying out of that oversized hole in her face!” I said.

He stared at me in shock and I blushed in embarrassment. “You have been hanging around those boys too much. Do you hear yourself? Your mum would be beside herself right now,” he told me.

I just glared in reply.

“You didn’t hand in your assignment either. Why would that be?” he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

My heart skipped a beat and I felt my hands twitch because I wanted to wring them. I took a moment to inhale deeply through my nose and stared back in my dad’s green eyes. “If you already know the answer, why do you need to ask me?” I asked, coolly.

He shook his head. “Lily, what are you searching for? What are you so keen on finding?” he asked, grabbing my hand.

“I’ll get you that assignment tomorrow, Professor. If you’re going to give me a detention, let me know. I need to go to dinner,” I said, wrenching my hand from his grasp, grabbing my bag and heading toward the door.

“You never answered my question,” Dad said.

“Answers, Dad,” I said, slamming the door behind me.

***

As I sat at a table in the common room finishing my homework, I heard a tapping on the window behind me. Turning, I recognized the Longbottoms’ owl looking at me. I grabbed the letter from its beak and ran up to my dorm to open it.

Dear Lily-
First I should tell you that your mother has already informed me of this dream. I am no expert in the field of Divination, but I do know a few things. I just want you to understand that you should be talking to your parents about these things too because they can help more.

I will tell you that, whether a dream or a vision, there most likely is a message within it. Keep an open mind, but tread carefully in that world of the subconscious. You are not ever invincible, even when you are asleep. If anything, you are more vulnerable in that state. If these incidents continue, you must tell your father and mother. Don’t let your anger blind you, dear, it will only cause problems.

I hope term is going well and I will see you over the holidays!

Love Always,

Luna


Sighing, I tossed the letter to the floor. Luna’s reply had been useless, except to identify her as an ally to my parents. Damn, did they have to have eyes and ears everywhere?

I got up and changed into my pajamas. I headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and then returned to the dorm and climbed into bed, the entire time trying to grasp everything. Besides my reoccurring dream (or whatever it was), there was the whole Potter Conspiracy thing to uncover and to figure out what Abernathy knew and how she knew it. It was so confusing! And I can’t even tell if it’s all connected.

I rolled onto my stomach and buried my head under my pillow. I groaned in frustration and tried to listen to the silence, seeing if it would somehow answer me. I gave up some ten minutes later and rolled back onto my back.

I was in that room again, the same candle flickering the same pattern across the same wall. And there was the same woman huddling the same way in the same corner. I watched her for a moment before deciding to walk in the opposite direction this time. I had never gone this way before and I became more curious as the surrounding darkness became a bit lighter. As my eyes adjust, I realized I was in a graveyard.

I strolled along, my feet seeming to know exactly where to go. As I walked through the lush grass, I felt a growing cold inching its way over my body. A breeze swept by, tossing up the leaves on the ground and causing my hair to fly into my face.

My feet stopped and turned me to the nearest headstone. I read the name, tracing each letter with my fingertips. The name seemed familiar in some way, but I couldn’t place it.

TOM RIDDLE

I closed my eyes and whispered the name inside my mind. I didn’t recognize it, but it carried a feeling of foreboding. I opened my eyes to see I wasn’t standing in the same spot. I seemed to be floating, looking down at the sudden group of people standing around. I could tell by the atmosphere this was not a pleasant place to be. The dark figures were surrounding a tall, thin figure in the middle. There was a person tied up to the same headstone I had just touched. The person was fighting against the bonds, struggling to break free.

I closed my eyes and made myself move closer. When I opened them, I was back on the ground again. There was a body next to my feet and when I bent down to look at him, I saw he was dead. I swallowed a sudden surge of vomit and forced myself to draw a deep breath.

“Oh my God!” I whispered, taking in his young looks. He appeared to be no older than Katy. His eyes were wide open, gazing blankly ahead and his face was set in an expression of pure fear and shock. His robes were torn and I caught sight of some writing on his shirt. I peered closer and read two simple words: THE SPARE.

A cry of pain pierced my ears, causing my attention to turn away from the body. That voice…I knew that voice. I ran to the headstone and saw the person bound was young too, with black hair. He looked up, past me, and my heart sank into my stomach, my breath caught in my throat, and tears began falling nonstop. I was staring into a pair of green eyes I knew all too well.

“Dad? DAD! What’s happening? Where are we?” I asked, frantically trying to undo the ropes around him.

His scream pierced my ears again and I shut my eyes against the pain rippling through me. I knew I was screaming too, but I couldn’t make myself stop. He was in so much pain! I wanted to help him, but the harder I tried, the farther away I felt myself drifting.

“DAD!” I yelled as another one of his screams of pain caused me to sob.

‘Wake up, Lily! I know I’m dreaming. It’s just a dream, open your eyes and it will go away!’ I told myself.

But I was back in the room with the woman again. I was shaking and surprised to see she was sitting at the table, with a cup of tea in front of her.

“It is not a dream, Lillian. It is the True Past. You must understand the Past to save the Future, it is the only way,” she said, softly.

I tried to speak, but I couldn’t. My mouth refused to move and I gestured to show that to the woman. She smiled a sad smile. “It is always a shame to put such large duties on such young people,” she said to me.

“Ask, Lily. Ask Him,” she said.

I opened my eyes and found myself back in my dorm. No lights were on and I heard the sounds of four sleeping girls around me. I was shaking, sweaty and feeling quite nauseous and I knew where I needed to go. Quietly, I left the dorm and slipped through the portrait hole. As soon as I was in the corridor, I tapped the nearest portrait awake. It was a kind looking woman sitting at a table with a book in her hand.

“Yes, dear?”

“Do you know where Professor Potter is right now?” I asked.

She smiled. “In the headmaster’s office, dear,” she replied.

I nodded and began running toward Snape’s office. “Dear, you don’t know the password!” I heard her yell.

I ignored her because I did know it. And like any eleven year old with access to their parent after a nightmare, I needed my dad. I also hoped finding him would serve another purpose besides comfort; I was hoping he’d explain what it was that I saw. I reached the gargoyle and shouted, “Phoenix Prince!” and sprinted up the stairs.

Without knocking, I crashed through the door and ignored all cries of surprise. I turned and looked my dad right in the eye. I was panting, but I still managed to speak.

“I know…about…the…graveyard,” I said, collapsing in an armchair as my dad and Snape stared at me in shock.
Chapter 10 My Father No Longer by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Harry, Snape and Dumbledore react to Lily's dream, new information is discovered and Lily is forced to view her father in a new light.
Ch. 10 My Father No Longer

The only sound that I heard was my own heavy breathing. Neither Snape nor my dad moved from their seats; both of their faces were still wearing looks of shock. I glanced at Dumbledore’s portrait and even he seemed to be at a loss for words.

“Wha…what did you say?” Dad finally managed to ask.

“I know about the graveyard,” I repeated, my breathing becoming normal once again.

“What graveyard, Potter?” Snape asked.

“Well, I don’t know its actual name, sir. I think you all know what I’m talking about, though,” I said, raising a shaky hand to push my sweaty hair out of my eyes.

“Lily, I think you just had an odd nightmare,” Dad said.

I could tell by the way Dumbledore shifted in his portrait and Snape looked at his desk that my dad was trying to cover up his previous shock from my comment. Well, I wasn’t going to fall for that. “No, Dad, I think you want me to think that. But she told me! She told me it was the Past and I know it was you! Your scar was almost glowing against your skin,” I said, strolling up to Snape’s desk.

“Miss Potter, you are breaking curfew yet again! Will you ever learn”“ Snape began, but I cut him off.

“Who is the Spare?” I asked.

“My goodness!” Dumbledore whispered. Dad’s eyes started watering and he looked away while Snape attempted to quickly recover from dropping his jaw.

“Potter, how dare you interrupt me! I’m…” he began again, but I ignored him.

“Fine then! Who is Tom Riddle?” I asked, watching all three men’s reactions. Dumbledore gazed at me, his blue eyes searching; Snape sat in his seat, frozen in shock; but Dad sprang up.

“Lillian Ginevra Potter, if you ever, EVER, say that name in my presence again, you will regret it,” he whispered, his eyes blazing with anger.

It was my turn to drop my jaw in shock. My father was…threatening me. I felt tears welling up, but I willed them not to fall. I just formed my face into the coldest expression I could muster and glared at him.

“Harry!” Dumbledore said in a scolding tone.

I saw his eyes widen and soften and he reached for me. I slapped his hand away, glared at them all coolly, and spun around.

“Lily,” he whispered as I stormed out and slammed the door.

As soon as I descended the stairs, the tears I had been holding in began falling and I ran all the way back to the common room, trying to suppress my gut wrenching sobs.

***

I knew the guys couldn’t come into our dorms, but I never heard anything about jinxes on the boys’ dorms. So I ran up the stairs until I reached the Third Year dormitory. Quietly, I opened the door and searched for red hair. Spying Siri, I hurried over and woke him up.

“Lily?” he asked groggily, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

I put my fingers to my lips and pointed down. He nodded and followed me down to the common room. I fell into an armchair near the dying fire and just stared at the embers, waiting for Siri to fully wake up.

“Merlin! Lily, what’s wrong? You’re crying! What happened?” he asked, crouching in front of me.

Shaking, I told him the entire story: the dream, the woman’s advice, and the events in Snape’s office. Siri just sat there, frozen in shock and confusion. I wiped a tear off my cheek. “It’s like he forgot I was his daughter, Siri! I’ve never, ever seen him look like that! His voice was different, too, like he was talking to an enemy,” I said, sniffing.

“I…I can’t believe…oh man,” he said, moving to the chair across from me. He ran a hand through his hair and I noticed that he was shaking.

“Siri, what’s happening to me? Why am I dreaming about these things?” I asked.

He shook his head and I saw confusion all over his face. I grabbed his hand to offer some comfort and to receive some as well.

“Hello, young Potters. I was hoping you’d be awake, Lily,” Dumbledore said from the painting above the fireplace.

“Did you think I’d be able to sleep after what just happened?” I asked, another tear falling down my cheek.

“No, my dear,” he said, softly. I thought for a moment that his voice sounded strained, as if he was trying to hide emotion.

“How long have you been listening?” I asked him.

He smiled a sad smile. “Long enough to make sense of things,” he said.

“Glad to know someone knows what the bloody hell is going on,” Siri mumbled, yawning.

“Unfortunately, I meant this particular instance involving your father. I’m afraid I do not know why you are dreaming these things, Lily,” Dumbledore said.

My chest deflated a bit; I was hoping he was going to explain everything to me. He just gave me the impression he knew and understood everything.

“I’m going to talk to Dad,” Siri said, standing up.

“I don’t think that would be wise at this time, Mr. Potter. Your father is dealing with many emotions and a visit from his enraged son would not help the matter,” Dumbledore told him.

I sighed. I knew he was right, but I also had no intention of speaking to Dad ever again. From now on, he was just my teacher, nothing more; from now on, I have no father.

“Sir, can you tell me about the graveyard I saw?” I asked.

He watched me for a moment. “Miss Potter, I cannot tell you about something I did not witness,” he said and I dropped my head.

“Why was he even there?” I asked.

Dumbledore sighed heavily, causing me to look at Siri in surprise. “I can’t answer that because I feel this is something you should hear in complete detail, and the only person who can tell you that is your father.”

“Like that will ever happen,” I said, suppressing a snort.

“I believe it will, Lily. I know that you and your family are all digging into your parents’ past. I want you both to know that I do not approve of keeping secrets from those you love; from personal experience, I can tell you it is extremely foolish,” Dumbledore said, staring at both Siri and me.

“Dad’s keeping stuff from us!” Siri said.

“I’m aware of that, Sirius. I told him the same thing, but let me also add this: Because your parents have chosen to withhold the truth, I encourage you to seek it out. Eventually, you will all meet in the middle and maybe teach each other something in the process. But it is late and I must return to the Headmaster’s office. I just wanted to make sure you were in good hands, Lily,” Dumbledore said, standing up.

“Wait!” I said, jumping up. “You never answered my question, sir!”

Dumbledore smiled slightly. “He was there, Lily, because that is where he was needed,” he said, disappearing from the frame.

“What the bloody hell did that mean?” Siri asked, yawning.

“I don’t know, Siri. I think I might know who does, but she delivers answers the same way Dumbledore does,” I said, heading up the stairs.

***

“Look, Lily, I know you don’t want to tell me what the deal with you and your dad is, but could you at least stop sending him a death glare?” Mack hissed while Professor Potter wrote on the bored.

“No,” I said, simply.

We were sitting in Defense class again, still reviewing proper execution of dueling. The End of Term exams were next week, so I had to pay attention despite my urge to vomit every time I heard Potter’s voice. Sarah and Mack had to drag me to class today and I was not happy about being here.

“As long as you all know and understand a proper duel, you will do fine next week. Have a good weekend,” Professor Potter said.

Sarah, Mack, and I jumped up and I practically sprinted to the door.

“Miss Potter, can I have a word please?”

I didn’t stop or turn around; I just kept walking out the door.

“Lily!”

I forced myself to keep moving toward the Great Hall; I needed to talk to Siri and I needed to do it now. I saw him heading to the doorway to the Great Hall and I quickly sent purple sparks his way to get his attention. Bry noticed too and stopped beside Siri. They came over and I pulled them out of the path of the students heading to dinner.

“How hungry are you?” I asked.

“I could wait, I guess. What’s up?” Siri asked.

“He’s trying to talk to me!” I said as Bry watched us curiously.

“He told Mum, you know. She asked me how you were reacting,” Siri told me.

“What’s going on?” Bry asked.

“Come on, let’s go to the Astronomy Tower for some privacy,” Siri said, leading the way.

I brought Bry up to speed along the way, making him promise that he wasn’t going to tell anyone, not even family.

“Okay, so you’re still having those dreams and now you’re telling me you’re actually reliving Dad’s memories? That’s really rare, Lils! I think I may have read about this before…can’t remember the book though,” Bry rambled.

“So, Lily, what’s the real problem?” Siri asked, sitting down and leaning his back against the wall.

Bry and I joined him and they both watched me, waiting for my response. “Well, we’re going home next Saturday,” I said, playing with a thread on my robes.

“Yeah, it’s called holidays, Lils,” Bry said, grinning.

I glared at him. “When did you become so witty?”

He smirked. “I’ve been hanging around you all too much!”

“Ha ha! What I meant was, once we get home, they’re going to corner me,” I said.

“So? Even if they do they can’t force you to stop dreaming these things. It’s not as if you have control over it, right?” Siri asked.

I shook my head. No, I didn’t have any control over any of my dreams; no matter how hard I tried, I just kept replaying the same two dreams in my mind every night. It was becoming tedious: some nights I’d like to get some actual sleep.

“Is it always exactly the same?” Bry asked.

“Yup. No matter what I try, I always see the same things,” I said, throwing my hands up in frustration. The boys became quiet as my frustration grew to the point where sitting couldn’t contain it.

“This woman, she only talks to you after you see whatever it is you’re seeing?” Bry asked.

“Yes, and I can never talk. It’s like I don’t have a voice that she can hear. And I did what she told me: I asked Dad and he didn’t answer, like she said he would,” I said, joining them on the floor again.

“That doesn’t make sense,” Siri said.

“Well, what if Dad’s not the ‘him’ she was referring to? Or maybe ‘tell you’ doesn’t mean using words,” Bry suggested.

I let his words was over me. Maybe both ways were right: perhaps it’s a different ‘him’ and the answer isn’t cut and dry.

“I’m going to snag the last bit of dinner, you two coming?” Siri asked, standing up.

Bry nodded but I shook my head. “I’m going to the Library,” I said.

“That’s the thing Mum and Dad are going to make you stop doing, Lily…snooping,” Bry said, smiling.

I shoved them down the hall and headed to the Library.

***

Normally, I head straight to the Prophet Archives, but today I had other plans. I drew a deep breath and approached Madam Reed at her counter.

“Madam Reed?” I asked.

She turned and glared at me. “You! What do you want?” she asked.

“Um…we’re studying Voldemort in History of Magic and I was wondering if you could show me where I could find some additional reading?” I asked her.

She huffed, but led me to a far corner of the Reference Section. No one was on this side of the room and the books had many layers of dust on them. She pointed to the bottom two shelves on the rack farthest to the back. “These are the only books about Voldemort we have here. You can’t check them out, so don’t try to take them with you when you leave,” she said, walking away.

I sat down and traced the books with my fingers. They looked forgotten and I almost felt bad for them. Almost…they were just books after all. I picked up A Brief Look at the Dark Wizard, Voldemort and went to an armchair by the window. As late afternoon sunlight poured on my shoulders, I began reading.

An hour later, my eyes were burning and I was rapidly losing interest. Briefly wishing I was more like Bry, I went to close the book when something caught my eye on the bottom of the page:

It is widely known that Voldemort disappeared after the attempted murdered of young Harry Potter. What is not commonly known is that in the year 1994, Voldemort found himself in human form again outside the village of Little Hangleton.

Few details are known of the events leading to this shocking revelation, but the potion used to aide his return exploited a degree of Dark Magic previously thought impossible. The ability to use such a dangerous potion successfully provides proof that Voldemort was the darkest of Dark Wizards to ever exist.


I scanned further to see if the potion was ever named, but I didn’t find anything. I was confused by this information. For some reason, I felt a connection to the event, I just could figure out why.

“Miss Potter, the Library is closing now. You need to return to your dormitory,” Madam Reed said, approaching me.

I nodded and returned the book to the shelf. The torches began dimming as I exited the Library and I knew curfew was approaching, so I quickened my pace through the corridors.

“I was wondering when you’d be back. Where were you?” Mack asked as I entered the common room.

“The Library, and you’ll never guess what I found!” I said, gesturing the boys over.

As soon as the group gathered, I launched into an explanation of what I had read earlier. I was relieved to see they were all just as confused as I was.

“Does anyone else feel like the more we find out, the more confused we become?” James asked.

We all nodded.

“I’m going to bed. Goodnight,” I said, heading upstairs. I heard Mack and Sarah follow me and we climbed into bed in silence. I knew they were trying to grasp the new information and I was hoping that I’d get a peaceful night’s sleep for once.
Chapter 11 Gryffindor vs. Slytherin by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Hey all! Just a lil reminder that this is a WIP and as I was working on it tonight, I suddenly had what some may call a stroke of genius, but most will probably consider it a stroke of madness...meh, whatev. so anyway, i have to rewrite a few parts and such, but my awesome beta does have ch 12 so hopefully i won't keep you waiting too long! leave me a review too please! i love them, they keep me entertained at work...
Ch. 11 Gryffindor vs. Slytherin

I woke up in a cold sweat, breathing hard. I quickly made sure I hadn’t disturbed anyone and headed to the bathroom to compose myself and take a shower. When I walked back into my room, Pam and Trish were painting Sarah and Mack’s faces red and gold. I smiled at the scene and Sarah spotted me.

“You’re next, Lils,” she said, smiling.

“Let me change first,” I said, heading to my closet.

“We’re getting really decked out for the match, Lily,” Pam said, going and rummaging through her closet.

She laid out a pair of red tights, a short jean skirt, and a small gold t-shirt with ‘Only Lions need apply’ written in red across it. I looked at her with a cocked eyebrow and she nodded. “You are ridiculous, Pam,” I said, shaking my head.

She smiled. “No, Lily…this is what you’re wearing!”

“No way!” I said as the four girls surrounded me.

“Don’t worry, we’re all wearing something similar,” Mack said, grinning.

And then they pounced.

“Oh, you look AWESOME!” Pam squealed.

“Your Dad is going to freak out,” Sarah said.

I smirked at that comment and led the way to the pitch.

***

Brian just pursed his lips and shook his head as he sat next to Trish. Siri couldn’t tell what I was wearing so he just did the nose thing and got into position.

“So, what is that all about?” Mack asked, touching her nose.

“When we were little we created our own way of waving that people wouldn’t really recognize and touching our noses is what we came up with,” I explained as Bry nodded.

“If he ever tugs on his ear, you know he’s in trouble,” Bry said, smiling.

“And they’re off! Slytherin Chaser, Krum, with the Quaffle, dodges Bludger sent by Weasley, heads toward Gryffindor Keeper, Acker…SCORE! Ten-nil, Slytherin,” Amber yelled.

“BOO!!” our section roared.

“Thomas with the Quaffle for Gryffindor, passes to Potter, Potter bolts across the field, passes to Lupin, Lupin shoots…SCORE!”

“YES!” Sarah and I yelled, jumping up and down.

“Krum to Goyle, Goyle passes to Mason, Mason shoots…SAVE! Excellent save by Acker!”

The game continued and I could tell it was getting brutal. Siri and Natalie were both bleeding and James took a Bludger to the stomach. Antram and the Slytherin Seeker, Hart, were bumping each other every chance they got and Jake was hit in the face by a Slytherin Beater’s bat.

“FOUL!” Sarah and I yelled for what felt like the hundredth time.

“Potter to shoot the penalty…SCORE! 60-80, Gryffindor!”

Antram and Hart were streaking through the air, neck and neck, toward the middle of the field.

“Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!” Mack yelled, practically jumping over Pam.

“GO! GO!” I screamed, throwing my fist in the air and not caring who I hit in the process.

“Antram and Hart are racing to the Snitch! This is going to be close!” Amber yelled.

Suddenly, the two Seekers dove to the ground, Antram putting distance between her and Hart. Did I mention that she kicks ass? Because she totally does!

“Ohmygodoh-”

“Shut up, Mack!” Pam said, smacking her hand over Mack’s mouth.

“GOOOOO!” Sarah and I screamed again, jumping onto the backs of the boys in front of us.

Antram pulled up and I saw she was sticking her tongue out at Hart.

“YAY! WE WON!” we all screamed as we mobbed the field.

This time, I didn’t get stuck behind anybody; I ran straight to Siri and hugged him fiercely.

“Great game! That was so awesome, Siri!” I said, hugging him again.

“Thanks, Lils! I…WHAT IN THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU WEARING?” he yelled.

I ducked my head to hide my blushing face. “House colors, Siri! Jake! Great game,” I said, hugging him.

He laughed. “Oh man, Lily. You five look bloody fantastic,” he said.

We headed back by Siri and Natalie, Pam and Trish kept giggling anytime Jake moved, which I found annoying. When Siri spotted us, he shook his head and grabbed Sarah and I.

“What the hell are you two doing?” he asked, frowning at us.

“Excellent match, Potter!” a voice shouted.

Siri looked up and smiled before turning back to us. “Dad is going to kill both of you!” he whispered.

“I think they look great!” James said, hugging us.

Siri shook his head and headed to the locker room with Jake and James following.

“Let’s go back to the common room,” I said, grabbing Sarah and catching up with Pam, Trish, and Mack.

***

“Sarah and Lily, stop right now!”

My heart dropped and Sarah’s hand twitched in mine. Mack, Pam, and Trish had already passed through the portrait hole, but Sarah and I weren’t so lucky.

“Uncle Harry, great match, don’t you agree?” Sarah asked in a high pitched voice.

“Flobberworm,” I whispered, causing the portrait hole to open again.

“Lillian Ginevra Potter, don’t you walk away from me,” Professor Potter warned.

I yanked Sarah’s hand and pushed her into the common room. She looked at me wide-eyed as I stepped in. “We aren’t doing anything wrong, Professor,” I said, walking in without glancing at him.

Mack and Sarah were just standing there with their jaws dropped. “He’s going to kill you!” Mack said while Sarah just nodded.

“Good! Maybe that will help me figure him out,” I said, heading to my room. The encounter with Professor Potter had left me with little desire to celebrate.

***

I spent the rest of the weekend studying and found exams rather easy. I was still avoiding Professor Potter, despite his attempt to make me talk to him. It bothered me that he thought I was doing this out of anger. Didn’t he realize he betrayed me? I wasn’t angry; I was more hurt than anything.

“How did it go?” Siri asked as I joined him at dinner.

“Fine, especially since I was taught proper dueling when I was about five,” I said, grabbing a bowl of stew.

“He could fail you out of spite,” Jake said, laughing.

“I still can’t believe you walked away from him the other day!” James said, shaking his head.

“What? We weren’t doing anything wrong!” I exclaimed.

“Deciding to walk out of your dorm in that outfit wasn’t exactly right, Lily!” Siri said heatedly.

I threw my roll at him. I was so sick of this conversation and how the guys failed to remember that my entire dorm was dressed the same way.

“Are you packed?” I asked Siri in an attempt to change the subject.

He nodded.

“When are you guys going to the Burrow?” Sarah asked.

“Probably the twenty-third, but I’m not sure. I haven’t talked to Mum in a while,” I said, shrugging.

“Where?” Mack asked.

“The Burrow is where our Gran lives. Our entire family all stays there over the holidays,” Siri explained.

“So you guys will all be together for most of the holidays?” Mack asked.

I noticed a touch of jealousy in her voice. “Would you like to visit, Mack? It wouldn’t be a problem at all; Gran always loves having visitors,” I told her.

She nodded. “Oh, that would be lovely! How about around the end of break? That way I could just come back to school with you guys,” she suggested.

“That would be perfect!” Sarah said, smiling.

“It’s settled then. I’ll owl Gran tomorrow when we get home,” I said, smiling.

I went to bed early since I hadn’t finished packing and by the time I crawled into bed, both Sarah and Mack had fallen asleep.

***

“Lily! Wake up! We’re due in your dad’s office in an hour!” Sarah said.

“Yeah, yeah,” I replied, sitting up.

We took quick showers, got dressed, and dragged our trunks down to the common room, where we joined the boys.

“Look at them, Jake, isn’t it cute the way they drag their trunks?” Siri asked, laughing.

“What else can we do?” I asked, rubbing sweat off my forehead.

“Um…levitate them, you know, use magic,” Jake said, smirking.

I snorted, grabbed my wand, and pointed it at his trunk. “Locomotor trunk!” I said, flicking it in the direction of Jake.

Jake’s trunk zoomed across the floor and rammed him in the shins, causing him to fall over. “Ouch! Dammit, Lily!” he grumbled.

“I like that spell better!” I said, smirking. We all headed to Professor Potter’s office to Floo home.
Chapter 12 Home Is Where My Mum Is by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Hey all! I'm sorry it took so long to update, but I'm busy getting ready to move and start my NEW job! I haven't forgotten this story or anything. I hope you like it!
Ch. 12 Home is Where My Mum is

I gracelessly crashed into the hearth on top of my trunk. Tears stung in my eyes as I managed to get out of the way so Brian and Siri could get through.

“Bloody trunk!” I said, rubbing my knee.

“Lillian!”

“Hey, Mum, how are you?” I asked, ignoring the stern look she was giving me.

“LILY!” Cedric cried, running forward and hugging me.

“Holy Merlin, Ced! Look how much you’ve grown!” Bry said, joining us in the center of the room.

Mum hugged Bry while still glaring at me. I pecked a kiss on her cheek and dragged my trunk upstairs to my room and collapsed on my bed. I closed my eyes, breathing in the familiar scent of home. I ran my fingers over my beloved quilt and finally felt content, for the first time in months.

“Ask, Lillian. Ask Him and He will tell you.”

“Who?” I whispered. I didn’t see her but I knew her voice so well now. “Please tell me who,” I whispered again.

“What did you say?” Mum asked.

I sat up to see Mum and Professor Potter standing in my doorway. I felt doom settle into my stomach. I had hoped they would at least wait until after dinner to confront me. They both wore neutral expressions, although I detected a bit of curiosity in Professor Potter’s face for a moment. Mum and the professor remained in the doorway, perhaps because I wasn’t exactly welcoming them into my room. I decided to ignore my mother’s question to avoid the conversation as much as possible.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

Mum shook her head and shut the door. They both walked over and after a lengthy silent debate, sat on either side of my bed. I leaned back and gazed at the ceiling trying not to notice the fact that I had just been trapped. I had no intention of making the conversation easier and acknowledging its existence qualified as ‘making it easier’.

“We need to talk,” Mum said, forcing me to look at her.

“Oh really? What about?” I asked.

“Please stop acting like this, Lily,” Professor Potter whispered.

I kept my gaze on my mum and shrugged my shoulders. “I can’t,” I simply stated.

“Why can’t you, honey?” Mum asked.

I snorted at her ridiculous question. She really wanted to know, fine, she can know. “Well, there’s the fact that I’ve been lied to my entire life that I find a bit disturbing. Did you know we’re studying Voldemort in History of Magic?” I asked, toying with a thread on my quilt.

Mum glanced at the professor, causing him to pollute my room with his words. “No, Headmaster Snape kept it hidden from me until term was nearly over,” he whispered.

“Well then, you can guess what a nice shock that has been for all of us. Imagine living your entire life believing one thing and then learning everything you were told was wrong in front of a group of strangers. Not to mention I keep having creepy dreams that I have no control over and then my own father treats me like a common enemy by threatening me! The last few months have been fabulous,” I said, sarcastically. My insides felt on fire and the desire to start crying was almost overwhelming. Well, I wasn’t about to give them the satisfaction of seeing me cry! Instead I managed to produce what I’m sure was quite the glare and stick my chin out a bit more.

“Mum! I’m starving!” Siri yelled from downstairs. I inwardly thanked his hunger for its timing.

“Harry, go tell the boys I’ll be down shortly, I want to talk for a few more minutes,” Mum said.

Professor Potter got up and walked out of the room. Mum moved further onto my bed so she was now directly in front of me. She stared at the doorway Potter had just walked through for a moment before turning to face me.

“Lily, I’m so very sorry,” she said, tears welling up in her eyes.

I was completely surprised by her new tone and sudden display of emotion. She wore an expression of sorrow that made my heart wrench in my chest. I felt tears falling from my own eyes and Mum grabbed my hand.

“What are you sorry for?” I choked out.

“More than I can say,” she said, embracing me.

I suddenly found myself letting everything out through my sobs. My anger, confusion, fear and feelings of betrayal all flowed out of me with each tear I shed. I began to feel better as Mum held me close and stroked my long black hair in comfort. My sobs eventually subsided and I gradually just let myself believe the whispered words of comfort Mum was supplying.

“Come on, honey. I’ve got to feed your brothers before they eat your father,” Mum said with a small smile.

I nodded and followed her downstairs.

“You should invite your friend Mack over tomorrow so she can come shopping with us,” Mum suggested as we entered the kitchen.

I was about to tell her what a great idea that was when we both stopped dead in our tracks. The kitchen was an absolute mess! Professor Potter was putting out a fire in the pan on the stove, Bry and Ced were picking up broken pieces of something off the floor and Siri was covered head to toe in what looked like flour.

“What in the name of Merlin is going on?” Mum yelled, her hands on her hips and glaring at her husband.

“Oh, Mum, thank Merlin you’re here! Make him stop, please!” Siri begged, flour flying from his red hair as he ran to us.

“All four of you get out of my kitchen!” Mum yelled.

Siri, Bry and Ced bolted out the door but Potter stayed where he was. “Gin, let me help you clean up. I was just trying to help,” he said, kissing Mum’s forehead.

“I told you I would be down shortly! Look at this mess. Lily, start cleaning up that flour, please,” Mum said, glaring at Potter again.

“Gin, calm down, we’ll go into town for dinner so you don’t have to cook, okay?”

“I’m not leaving the kitchen like this. You can clean up the broken plates and then we’ll talk!” Mum said, pointing her wand at the stove. “Scourgify!”

“Reparo!” Potter said, pointing at the broken dinnerware.

“That’s our wedding china! You let the boys use our wedding china? Harry James Potter!” Mum yelled.

The guilty pleading look that came across Potter’s face was so amusing, I couldn’t help but laugh. My parents stood still for a moment but then they started laughing too.

“Come on, let’s go get some dinner,” he said, kissing Mum’s forehead and grabbing my hand.

I instantly stopped smiling and pulled away. “I’m not hungry and I need to owl Mack,” I said, walking back toward my room.

“Why don’t you take the boys, Harry. I’ll stay here with her,” Mum said, following me.

“Why are you staying with me?” I asked as we entered my room.

“Because I think you need your Mum and I want to be here when you decide you do too,” she said, sitting on the edge of my bed and watching me expectantly.

“Now you’re ready to talk to me? I’ve been around for eleven years, Mum. You could have talked to me before,” I said, anger evident in my tone.

“Lily, come sit down,” she said, patting a spot on the bed next to her.

“I’ll stand,” I snapped back.

“Suit yourself,” she said, shrugging. She flicked her wand and conjured an hourglass on the nightstand. “You have until the sand runs out. The time will start when you ask your first question,” she said.

My jaw dropped in shock. Was she saying that I could ask her about anything? Was she going to finally be honest with me and tell me about all the things I’ve been discovering at school? Was this some type of joke? Well, if she’s going to give me the opportunity, I’m not going to pass it up!

“Why did you and Dad hide the truth from us? Why go through all the trouble? We have such limited access to the same things that anyone else can read about anytime. Did you honestly think that we wouldn’t eventually take things into our own hands after hearing bits and pieces in class?” I asked.

Mum sighed and ran a hand through her beautiful red locks in frustration. “Honestly, it all seems so pointless now, Lily. Your father and I wanted you and your brother to grow up as normal as possible. We wanted you to know and realize that your lives are in your own hands, no one else can tell you how to live and what to strive to be. You’ll understand more when you have children of your own, dear. And you should really take a step back and analyze your surroundings to answer your other questions. The only witches and wizards you kids interact with are Order members, so they knew what your father and I had determined appropriate to tell you. With their help we were able to use numerous forms of distractions and enchantments when something sensitive came up, whether it was in conversation or when being seen in public. We wanted certain details kept from you; I admit that we purposely didn’t tell you some things that many other people know. This wasn’t done out of malice honey, just stupidity,” Mum said with a half smile.

“What details are you talking about?”

“One of the larger ones was regarding the Prophecy. When your father was in his Fifth year, he learned about a Prophecy concerning him and Voldemort,” Mum said, tears welling up in her eyes again.

“Mum, we already learned about it,” I said, walking over and holding her hand in comfort.

“I know, but you don’t know what the Prophecy said. Lily, what I’m about to tell you caused your father’s life to change drastically. The Prophecy stated that only he could defeat Voldemort indefinitely. Only him. Do you realize the effect that had on your father?”

I really didn’t. I’m not stupid but I just didn’t get it. Didn’t they want to defeat Voldemort anyway? I mean, he killed my grandparents! He started a stupid war that took countless friends and family members from us. Why wouldn’t Dad want to kill him?

Mum smiled sadly at the confusion evident in my face. “That’s one big reason we didn’t say anything, Lily. You’ll tire of hearing this but you were too young, you still are. You can’t understand the heavy implications something like that comes with. Your father knew, he knew that either he would kill Voldemort or die. His future felt entirely out of his hands. It’s highly complicated and serious, dear.

“Not to mention your father survived the Killing Curse when he was just a baby. Voldemort disappeared after that night, our world thought him to be dead. Your father was famous for something he couldn’t even remember. His life has been quite difficult since he returned to the wizarding world. We just wanted to spare you. It’s a burden really, a frightening burden that we can never escape,” she said, softly.

Returned to the wizarding world? When did he ever leave? I filed that question away for later. “Why are you telling me now?” I asked, laying my head in her lap.

Mum immediately began stroking my hair. “I’m not sure entirely. I think it has a lot to do with your recent dreams or visions. I feel that a little information about some things won’t change you too much and it might even end up helping you. There is not enough time in any day to tell you the whole story, Lily. If you think about it, the entire tale spans over a decade,” she whispered.

I noticed the timer was almost up and there was still so much more I wanted…no, I needed to know. Perhaps I would be given this opportunity again? Because I wanted to be a bit selfish now, there was something about myself that I needed to know. “Mum, why am I dreaming these things?”

Her breath hitched for a moment. “I don’t know, honey. It does unsettle me though. This is something that your father and I are trying to solve. We want to be able to tell you why this is happening to you and maybe even stop it,” she said.

I suddenly felt sleepy and a yawn escaped my lips. “It frightens me, Mum,” I whispered, my eyes no longer able to remain open.

“It frightens me too,” she whispered right before I fell asleep.
Chapter 13 The Burrow by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Here it is...I hope you enjoy. I'm so sorry that it took so long but with my new job and now i'm moving next weekend (which I'm really, REALLY excited for...sarcasm intended) things are getting a bit hectic. But I give you this and hope you all enjoy!
Ch. 13 The Burrow

Oh, how I love going to the Burrow! In my mind there is nothing closer to perfection than the homey atmosphere and Gran’s cooking. She’s an enthusiastic old woman, my Gran. I could weigh three hundred pounds and she would still insist I was underfed. Now that I think about it, I probably gained thirty pounds since I’ve been here.

Christmas is always fun in my family. The adults visit and the kids pull pranks and bond. On Christmas Eve, Siri put a Sticking Charm on Dad’s chair, which was really entertaining. I don’t know when but sometime between Dad attempting to pry himself off the chair and sticking his wand under his bum to release the hex, I started to forgive him. It’s really hard to act cold towards a man who’s vulnerable to the pranks of his own children and still a good sport about it. He even complimented Siri on his hexing strength and laughed along with everyone else at his predicament. I guess it’s just difficult to harbor anger towards a good man and my father is as good as they come.

Mack arrived the day after Christmas to stay with us for the remainder of holidays. Mack didn’t have a Gran since both had died before she was born. When Gran found this out, she immediately claimed Mack as her own. This didn’t surprise me at all, that’s just the way Gran is; she’d claim you whether you were available or not. What caught my attention was when (a slightly drunk) Uncle Fred said, “Just like you, Harry!” and the adults all laughed. The remark just seemed to stick with me and I couldn’t let it go. I can’t explain why but Siri agreed with me and we decided a bit of investigating was in order.

“So what should we do?” Sarah asked.

We were all sitting in the den, the adults were visiting in the kitchen which gave us plenty of time to discuss our options.

“I really wish I knew who the actual Seer was that delivered the Prophecy concerning Dad. I don’t think Dumbledore could tell us much even if he wanted to. He is just a painting now after all, there’s only so much he can remember and talk about,” I said.

“That would be nice,” James agreed.

Suddenly, the fireplace erupted and the face of Kingsley Shacklebot was practically in Jake’s lap.

“Hey, Kingsley!” Sarah and I said.

“Girls, where are your fathers?” he asked.

“Kitchen,” Sarah simply stated.

“Fetch them for me please,” he said, causing Sarah to leave the room quickly.

“James, is your mother here?” Kingsley asked, the image of his head turning to face us.

“I’ll get her,” Seamus said in an almost bored voice.

Uncle Fred and Dad came into the room. Sarah must not have told them Kingsley was waiting for them because Uncle Fred’s face lit up at the same time Dad’s paled.

“Kingsley ol’ boy! Why not come through and join us?” Fred suggested.

“Kids, please go into the kitchen,” Dad said, sternly.

Reluctantly we all exited the den and headed back to the kitchen. It took me a moment to realize the tone between the adults had shifted dramatically. Previously we could hear laughter and small bits of enthusiastic conversation, now it was almost deathly silent. Tonks pushed by us without a word, which was unusual for her and Gran seemed to be pale and jumpy. Mum and Aunt Hermione were sharing glances over the table and Uncle Ron was gripping his tea mug so tightly that his knuckles were turning white.

“What’s going on?” I asked, feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in awareness.

“You kids hungry at all? I could conjure up something quick for you!” Gran offered, practically bolting out of her chair.

“Maddie, can you please ask your mother if the kids can stay with her for the night? Your father’s on his way over already,” Aunt Hermione asked.

Maddie simply nodded and Apparated back to the Longbottom’s flat.

“Mum? What’s wrong?” I asked again. I grabbed Sarah’s hand. The tones of the voices, the facial expressions and the sudden shift of the mood really unsettled me.

My mother decided to ignore me again and was whispering with Charlie. Gran placed a plate of biscuits on the table and Jake, Seamus and Siri dived right in…so typically unaware of the situation. James, Sarah, Molly, Bry and I just watched as the kitchen atmosphere became more foreign to us.

“Mum?” Sarah said, dropping my hand and going to her mother.

Aunt Calli forced a smile. “Why don’t you kids go play in the basement?” she suggested.

“Great idea!” Uncle Ron suddenly said, trying to herd us downstairs. We didn’t share his excitement and held our ground.

I was frightened for the first time ever in this place. Uncle Ron was arguing with both James and Molly and Sarah was squeezing my hand again and biting her lip. Gran, Mum, Aunt Hermione and Aunt Calli were wearing grim expressions and whispering frantically. Uncle Charlie and Aunt Margaret were arguing with Lydia and Kevin about something.

There was so much conversation going on that the room seemed to radiate a dull hum. I couldn’t pick up anything anyone was saying and my stomach suddenly began to feel quite uncomfortable. Oh no, I thought. My breathing was getting fast and shallow which only made me more nervous, making the whole situation worse.

“Lily?” Sarah asked.

Please not now, please not now! I pleaded with myself.

“Lily!”

“No, no, no!” I screamed, closing my eyes.

“What’s going on?”

“Sarah, what’s wrong with her?”

“Sit her down!”

Breathe, Lily, just breathe.

A dark hooded figure was walking toward me.

Deep breath; inhale, then exhale, Lily. I tried to coax myself into a state of calm which would hopefully keep the vision from continuing. Unfortunately, I have no control over any vision once it shows itself to me.

The head was bowed, the footsteps were a slow, steady pace.

Inhale.

I saw it all in tunnel vision as the person headed towards me; then a wand was raised.

Exhale.

“Lily! Lily, can you hear me?”

“Open your eyes, Lillian!”

Where was the old woman? She always pulled me out when she could sense my fear. I was frightened; I didn’t want to see any of this anymore. She needed to pull me out now!

“Lily!”

Inhale.

“I am coming,” a voice whispered. “I am coming to finish it! They know I’m coming, child, just you wait!” The voice was cold and menacing…it was a voice that I had never heard before but would hear countless times after this night.

Exhale.

And then the mysterious person’s head lifted to reveal a pair of dark brown eyes set in feminine facial features.

Inhale.

“Soon! We will meet soon!”

Exhale.

“Lily!”

Inhale.

“I’m alright,” I finally whispered, keeping my eyes closed.

Exhale.

“What happened?” Sarah whispered.

Inhale.

“What did you see, Lily?” Dad asked.

My eyes shot open and I pierced him with a gaze. “Who’s coming?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

Every adult’s face paled at my question. After a moment spent gazing at me with curiosity, Dad simply motion for everyone to sit down. It was then I noticed numerous urgent letters bearing the Order seal suddenly littering the table. Something big was happening and I had a dreadful feeling that the woman in my vision had something to do with it.

Exhale.
**
Gran served us all some rather strong tea as everyone attempted to regain some type of composure. Mum was subconsciously stroking my hair and I found myself calming down slowly.

Dad was sharing meaningful glances with Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione and I was suddenly struck by how close the three of them are. They seemed to be having a wordless conversation and I was jealous and amazed by the subtle changes in their expressions along with small movements, and how they were able to understand every one of them. I had no idea what they were silently discussing, but I could tell all three of them were determined about something.

“Who is she, Dad?” I asked.

If it was at all possible for the tension in the room to increase, it did.

“I don’t know what you saw so I can’t answer that question, Lily,” he said, softly.

“I don’t know who she was Dad. All I saw were brown eyes, but I know it was a woman,” I said, shuddering at the recollection.

Dad simply held my gaze for a moment longer and then wordlessly turned to Ron and Hermione.

“Right, let’s give the Potter family some time alone to discuss some things,” Uncle Ron said as he and Aunt Hermione ushered everyone out.

Mum got up and moved to sit next to Dad and Siri and Bry moved to either side of me. As Bry grabbed my hand and squeezed, I realized how exhausted I truly was. I laid my head on Siri’s shoulder and watched Mum and Dad expectantly.

Mum squeezed Dad’s hand and whispered something in his ear. He nodded as a frown formed on his face. I watched him swallow a few times before looking at my brothers and me.

“Kids, I think it’s time I tell you a bit more about Bellatrix Lestrange,” he whispered.

I jerked my head up as Siri and Bry gazed at Dad in shock. “Why?” I asked, mentally scolding myself for questioning free information.

“Because she’s escaped from Azkaban tonight,” he said.

“WHAT?” Siri, Bry and I yelled together.

“And she left a message in her cell,” Dad whispered.

My head was swimming and I knew exactly what Dad was going to say.

“It simply said - ”

“I’m coming,” I finished for him.

He nodded in confirmation.

“You know, Lils, you’re starting to really frighten me with this whole Seeing thing,” Siri said with a half smile.

“If it makes you feel better, Siri, it bloody terrifies me,” Dad said, returning the half smile.
**

I dropped my head and avoided their gazes simply because I was unsure how to react. I knew that no one was angry with me, but that didn’t prevent me from feeling…exposed and different from those around me.

“As you kids know, Bellatrix was an avid Voldemort supporter and Death Eater. After Voldemort was defeated, Uncle Remus, Aunt Tonks and I went searching for her. There was another man with us too, his name was Seamus Finnegan and he was murdered,” Dad said.

“Seamus?” Bry said, cocking an eyebrow.

“Yes, Brian. Your Aunt Tonks was pregnant with your cousin Seamus at the time,” Mum explained.

“Sweet Merlin,” Siri whispered.

“We were all captured and Bellatrix’s goal was to kill everyone who played a part in Voldemort’s downfall. This obviously included your mother and me,” Dad said, quietly.

I felt tears well up and Mum and Dad moved down the table to us. Dad picked me up and sat me on his lap, just like he used to do when I was little. Mum sat between Siri and Bry, pulling them close to her and kissing their heads in comfort.

“I don’t think I need to point out that her plan failed,” Dad said.

I chuckled half heartedly and leaned my head against Dad’s chest, allowing the rhythm of his heartbeat to soothe me.

“Your father and Neville both have personal vendettas against Bellatrix, which she is well aware of,” Mum explained.

“What does vendetta mean?” I asked.

“It means that I have made it my mission to see that Bellatrix Lestrange suffers the same amount of pain she has caused numerous people,” Dad explained, his voice getting that icy tone again.

“Harry, maybe you should explain why,” Mum said in a soothing voice.

Dad sighed heavily, causing me to pull my head back and watch him. His face was pale but his cheeks were growing pink. His green eyes seemed to be on fire and his mouth was set in a frown.

“I had the unfortunate opportunity of watching Bellatrix murder someone very dear to me, my Godfather, who was also her cousin,”

“You’re not serious,” Brian said.

“No, I am,” Siri said, causing Dad to smile.

“Yes, Brian, I happen to be very much so,” Dad replied.

“When did this happen,” I asked. I had never heard Dad speak about his godfather before.

“At a battle at the Ministry,” Dad said.

“Kids, we’re telling you about Bellatrix because she is a dangerous person, despite her age and physical state. We just want you to be aware and tell us if you notice anything out of the ordinary right away,” Mum said, seriously.

I didn’t notice that I had started trembling until Dad’s arms pulled me closer to his chest. A sudden wave of understanding washed over me. The way Siri, Bry and I were reacting to this bit of information was probably exactly what Mum and Dad were expecting. I was terrified to an extent I didn’t know I was capable of. I didn’t want Dad to let me go. I wanted to stay right here, in this safe place, until all of the evil disappeared.

“Are you kids okay?” Dad asked. I suddenly realized none of us had said anything in quite awhile.

I didn’t respond simply because I wasn’t sure if I could. I think Siri and Bry felt the same way. Dad squeezed me tightly and kissed the top of my head. “I promise I won’t let anything happen to any of you, believe me,” he said.

I was still terrified. Was it because some mad old witch was coming to hurt my family? Or simply because I feared I may soon be having new visions that would possibly cause me more terror than anything I’ve ever seen?
Chapter 14 - 'He' Finally Answers by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
FINALLY!! I know, I know, I am a horrible person who should quite possibly be tarred and feathered for my lack of updating. But I beg of you to forgive me, I just got my internet hooked up at my new place so this is the first time in 2 weeks (eeks!) I have been able to log on. So hopefully you enjoy this chapter enough to amend the wounds I quite possibly opened due to lack of updates. Please read and review, you know it makes me love you more!
Ch. 14 ‘He’ Finally Answers

I crawled into bed with Sarah because I didn’t want to be alone. I’m pretty sure everyone else was told what Mum and Dad told Siri, Bry and I because for the rest of the night, we all seemed to huddle closer together and when we did actually speak, it was only in whispers. Its odd how getting what you want doesn’t always turn out the way you think it will. There’s still so much that I don’t know about but now…now I don’t know if I want to even have a clue.

The mixture of confusion and fear consuming me made it impossible to sleep soundly. I kept forcing myself to open my eyes when I could tell I was about to fall completely asleep. I didn’t want to dream anything at all and I figured if I didn’t sleep then I wouldn’t dream.

I rolled out of bed when it was still dark out. I was careful not to wake Sarah, Mack and Molly as I closed the door behind me. In the hallway I stood still and listened to the sounds of the Burrow at night. It was a calming quiet with the occasional snore or cough from someone sleeping in one of the nearby bedrooms. I began to relax slightly. My family is full of skilled wizards who have fought and survived times worse than these before and I don’t doubt they are capable of doing it again.

As I crept down the stairs, I heard a soft clink coming from the kitchen. As I got closer I realized the light was on and I heard someone walking around. I peered in and saw my dad standing by the sink and gazing out the window into the darkness. He was wearing pajama pants and a faded red t-shirt that I knew said “Lions roar!” on it. I used to steal that shirt when I was younger and wear it on the days he was away from home. Dad looked deep in thought and I debated on whether I should bother him or not.

“Do you want some tea?” he asked without turning around.

“Sure,” I said, softly.

He turned around and looked slightly surprised that it was me standing across from him. “Having trouble sleeping?” he asked, pouring tea into a cup and handing it to me.

“I guess. I’m pretty sure I could sleep if I really tried but I’m too terrified to actually let myself do it. I don’t want to dream,” I said, holding back the urge to cry.

He nodded, sat down and motioned for me to come over by him. When I did, I found myself on his lap for the second time in the same night.

“How horrible is it?” he asked, softly.

I leaned back into his chest and sighed. “It depends on what I dream usually. The worst one so far would probably be the graveyard though. I didn’t like seeing you like that,” I confessed.

I felt him tense up for a moment and then he simply sighed. “That was the first time I was actually standing next to a person when they were murdered. It’s much different than reading about it or seeing the memory through a vision. I actually felt the curse fly by and could almost hear Cedric’s soul leave his body,” he whispered.

“Cedric?” I asked, an image of my younger brother flashing before my eyes.

“That was his name, Lily, although you know him better as ‘the spare’. Voldemort had him killed because he served no purpose there. If I would’ve taken the cup alone, Cedric might still be alive today,” Dad said, his words coming out slowly, as if he was trying to hide his emotion.

“Can you tell me more?” I asked.

He didn’t answer right away, I just felt him breathe deeply. I didn’t move at all. This was obviously something painful and I knew that pushing him would get me nowhere. I took a sip of tea and set my cup down. I was settling back into the comfortable position on his lap when he finally spoke again.

“It was my Fourth Year, during the Tri-Wizard Tournament. The last task was a maze filled with various obstacles the four champions had to overcome. The goal was to find the Tri-Wizard Cup hidden somewhere in the maze…”

I listened as Dad told me about what happened in that maze. The guilt Dad felt about suggesting Cedric take the Cup with him was so heavy it seemed to hang in the air above, slowly suffocating both of us.

“The Cup was a Portkey, Lily. We were instantly transported to a place far away from the Hogwarts grounds and we were alone. Cedric and I barely had time to get over our confusion and grasp our surrounding before a flash of green light flew by me and Cedric was motionless on the ground. The reason you know him as ‘the spare’ is simply because Voldemort ordered his Death Eater to ‘kill the spare’. Cedric was nothing to Voldemort, thus he determined Cedric was worthless and didn’t deserve to live,” Dad said.

I sat in shock on my father’s lap. I didn’t know what to say or if I should even say anything. Dad was just a boy when he saw Cedric die, he was only a year older than Siri is now and I can’t imagine Siri witnessing such a thing. Dad must have been so frightened and confused.

“Why did Voldemort have you brought to him, Dad?” I asked.

“Prior to that point he couldn’t bear to touch me. When my mother died to save me, I was protected by her love. Anytime Voldemort attempted to touch me in any way he would be…burned, for a lack of a better word. But a potion was brewed by one of his remaining Death Eaters and this potion was how Voldemort returned to his human form after the events at Godric’s Hollow. My blood was used in this potion and that’s why he was able to touch me again,” Dad explained.

I let his words wash over me, trying to absorb as much as possible. The image of my father tied up and screaming passed through my mind again. I saw the fear in his eyes and heard his muffled cries of pain. I willed myself not to cry and squeezed Dad’s hand. My mind was having trouble wrapping around the new information I was suddenly given. Between Bellatrix and Voldemort I didn’t know who I despised more. Was it the man who killed my grandparents, continuously sought out and tortured my father and brought about the war that took so many friends and relative I never met? Or was it the woman who supported everything Voldemort did and believed? The woman who murdered my father’s godfather and tried to kill both my parents? The woman who had escaped her prison and was possibly on her way to hurt my family right now?

Anger surged through me so suddenly I was almost caught off guard. Who were these people? What had Dad ever done to them but prevent them from spreading the darkness? How dare these evil people keep trying to pull Dad back to a life lived in fear. The War was over now! Our side won, Voldemort was defeated ages ago and yet I was still sitting in the Burrow’s kitchen listening to my Dad try and tell his story without showing emotion.

“I’m so sorry, Daddy, about everything,” I said, hugging him fiercely.

“There will always be evil in the world, Lily. No spell or enchantment can completely conquer it. We can only do our best to make sure the amount of good outweighs the bad,” he whispered into my ear.

“That’s what I’ve been told,” I told him.

He chuckled slightly. “Let’s get you a sleeping draught so you won’t dream tonight,” he said, lifting me off his lap.

After I took my dose I left my Dad in the kitchen and headed for the stairs. “Oh, Dad, I’m not going to stop snooping around though,” I said with a smirk.

“You wouldn’t be my daughter if you did,” he said, sending an identical smirk back at me.
**
The news about Bellatrix clouded over the Burrow for the remainder of the holiday break, although we didn’t know anything about it. Gran refused to let any of her grandchildren under the age of seventeen out of her sight, which not only made eavesdropping virtually impossible but it also prevented us from speculating and investigating (Bry’s exact words). We barely got the chance to see who was Flooing or Apparating over, which was something that had never happened before. These people have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and it didn’t make sense for them to suddenly isolate themselves from us.

“This is ridiculous!” Sarah exclaimed as the back door slammed and Gran ushered us upstairs to our rooms.

“Hush, Sarah,” Gran scolded.

I cleared my throat significantly and fell behind in the group.

“But Gran, this really is stupid,” Sarah continued.

“Bloody pile of dragon shit is what it is,” Siri mumbled loud enough for Gran to hear. He was right in front of the bedroom door, just waiting for Gran’s reaction.

“Sirius James Potter! How DARE you use such language? It’s despicable! This is not the time - ” And Gran was off on one of her classic scolds.

I headed back down the stairs quietly and stood stationary outside the kitchen door, listening to the conversation from within. I recognized Minerva’s voice and had to restrain myself from rushing in and hugging her. I hadn’t seen her since my eighth birthday and I love it when she visits.

“I’m very proud of you, Potter. Dumbledore would be proud of you also,” Minerva said.

“Thank you, but it wasn’t necessary to come here to tell me that,” Dad said.

“I’m too old for games, Mr. Potter so I’ll get to the point. Sybill has been found dead,” Minerva replied, heavily.

“What? Professor that’s impossible! Draco’s in charge of watching her. Where is he?” Mum asked.

“Missing, Mrs. Potter,” Minerva answered.

“Fabulous, we’ll be finding him in an abandoned house sometime soon I expect,” Dad said.

“This is why I’m glad you told the children, Potter. They need to be aware so they can protect themselves,” Minerva said, her voice a mixture of pride and fear.

There was only silence after her statement.

“What aren’t you telling me?”

“Professor, please stay calm. We told them about Bellatrix. They know she captured us and that she killed Sirius, so I made it very clear that she is extremely dangerous,” Dad said.

“And?” Minerva prompted.

“And what? Lily and I talked about the graveyard later on and I explained the events she saw in her dream,” Dad said, a defensive edge to his voice.

“Did you tell them about Saiph?”

Mum and Dad cleared their throats. “Not yet. We’re taking this one step at a time, Professor,” Mum said.

“We’re waiting until the moment when they need to know about Saiph and that moment is not now,” Dad said, sternly.

“Potter! They’re going back to school in two days! Are you going to tell them before they leave?”

“No, Professor,” Dad answered.

“I have asked you both repeatedly to call me Minerva, and you have to tell them about Saiph; all of them. She is just as dangerous and now with - ”

“LILLIAN GINEVRA POTTER! WHAT IN MERLIN’S NAME ARE YOU DOING DOWN THERE?” Gran’s voice roared throughout the house.

I rammed my forehead against the wall in frustration as Dad rounded the corner, his eyes afire with fury. Gran thudded down the last step and continued her scold as she marched toward me.

“Such a DIRTY trick! I can’t believe you children would do such a thing! How dare you exploit the circumstances purely for such a selfish benefit. I’M APPALLED!” she yelled.

I wasn’t upset by her words nor their volume nearly as much as I was by the expression on Dad’s face. Mum came in and shook her head at me but Minerva seemed to be having trouble holding back a smile. I immediately used her appearance to my advantage and I broke into a grin.

“Hi, Aunt Min! It’s good to see you this evening,” I said, trying not to laugh as the muscles in her face tightened even more.

“Lily, go to your room…NOW!” Dad said, failing to keep his anger at bay.

“Well of course, Dad. I just thought I’d see if anyone else had an urge for a good cup of tea before bed,” I said, turning back to Minerva and grinning again. “Can I have a hug before I go, Aunt Min?” I asked, using my innocent little girl voice.

“Of course, dear,” she said, smiling and giving me a tight squeeze.

Gran mumbled something and headed to the kitchen while Mum hastily pecked the top of my head and swatted my bottom a tad more forceful than normal. Dad avoided me and turned to Gran.

“Molly, what are you doing?” he asked.

“Getting Lily her tea, Harry,” I heard her respond as I reached the stairs.

“Mum, she doesn’t really want tea,” my mum said, an exhausted tone in her voice.

“Ginny dear, everyone always wants tea,”

I heard Minerva chuckle slightly as I began my way up the stairs.

“What’s so funny, Minerva?” Dad snapped.

“Oh nothing, Potter. She’s turning out to be quite a nice mixture of you and Ginny, don’t you think?” Minerva asked.

“Merlin help us all,” Mum muttered.

I held in a giggle as I shut the door to the bedroom and immediately told the others about what I had the pleasure of overhearing between Minerva and my parents.
Chapter 15 An Unsuspecting Crisis or Two by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
A new visitor causes a bit of commotion at the Burrow and Lily's mouth gets her into trouble again. We also get a bit more information about Saiph and who she is. I hope you all like it and leave a review to let me know what you think!
Ch. 15 “ An Unsuspecting Crisis

When Sarah, Mack and I went downstairs for breakfast there was someone new at the table. The girl was a tad too thin and she looked exhausted but it was still obvious she was quite beautiful. She had long blonde hair and sharp facial features that made her appear almost regal. She seemed completely at ease in her surroundings which I found odd because I had never seen her before.

“Who is that?” Sarah asked as we sat down.

“No idea,” I replied.
Mack was talking to Gran about accompanying Sarah and I on our routine summer visit when the unknown girl sat next to me.

“You must be Lily,” she assumed, smiling.

“Yes, I am. Who are you?”

“I’m Abby Malfoy. The last time I saw you, you were still a baby. We were both obviously much younger,” Abby answered, still smiling.

“Malfoy…Malfoy…why do I know that name?” Sarah asked, tapping her forehead.

“Draco Malfoy is Dad’s friend and an Order member,” I reminded her.

“Oh, right. Sometimes I forget,” Sarah admitted, blushing.

“It’s understandable, there’s a lot of people to keep track of,” Abby agreed.

“So, what are you doing here?” I asked her.

“Oh, I always stop by and visit with Molly when I’ve been away for a while. Besides, I knew everyone would be here so it’s a one-stop check in,” she informed me, pouring coffee.

“It’s so good to see you dear,” Gran said, patting Abby’s shoulder.

“So, where’s your mum, Lily?” Abby inquired.

“I don’t know. Didn’t she come down already?”

“Not that I know of but that’s okay. You all aren’t heading back to Hogwarts until tomorrow, right?”

“Yes, that’s the plan,” Sarah answered.

“Well then, I’ll just stay here until you all leave and then I’ll drop by and visit my dad and Sybill before I finally go home,” Abby said.

I coughed on my orange juice and Sarah’s jaw dropped. Gran froze by the sink and Mack looked at both Sarah and I as if she wasn’t sure she had heard Abby right. Abby caught every reaction and grew incredibly pale instantly. Her eyes darted between me and Gran as if hoping one of us would explain the situation to her. I couldn’t do it since I didn’t know much and Gran wouldn’t do it because she can’t stand delivering bad news. I avoided Abby’s gaze completely and Gran’s sympathetic expression did little to ease the pending blow.

“What happened? Is someone hurt?” Abby asked, her voice shaking. Her eyes were still darting back and forth and her face only expressed one emotion: fear.

When no reply came, she grabbed my shoulder and forced me to look at her. “Tell me,” she demanded, her grey eyes brimming with tears and her body shaking.

“I…I…”

“FOR THE SAKE OF MERLIN TELL ME, LILY!” she cried, gripping my shoulder even tighter. I was now shaking too, either due to her grip or my own fear from what she may do if I don’t say something soon.

“Ibby, let her go!”

All eyes turned to my dad standing in the doorway. He looked exhausted and a bit anxious but when Abby stood up, he walked to her and held her in his arms as her tears finally began to flow.

“Harry, please tell me what’s going on. Is he okay?” Abby sobbed.

“I don’t know,” Dad whispered, his voice full of pity.

Abby began crying in earnest and Aunt Hermione came rushing in from the backyard to see what the all the commotion was about. She immediately took Abby from my dad and sat her down at the table again. Then she began rubbing Abby’s back in an attempt to comfort her but even I knew that wasn’t going to help at all.

Sarah, Mack and I just sat there in shock and watched as Abby became increasingly more upset and the kitchen became more crowded with people checking on the situation. Abby was trembling so much her teeth were chattering and she even pounded her forehead against the table a few times in frustration or agony, I’m not quite sure. It wasn’t until Luna arrived with an array of potions that Abby was able to remain still.

“I feel awful,” I told Sarah as we watched Luna cradle Abby.

“Can you imagine coming home and finding out your dad is missing while a mad woman is on the loose?” Sarah asked.

“And don’t forget that this Sybill was her friend too. So Abby is dealing with one sure death and bracing herself for the possibility of another,” Mack pointed out.

“Was it Bellatrix, Harry? Did Bella do this?” Abby demanded in a hoarse voice.

“It’s possible but we aren’t sure,” he told her.

“We think Saiph might be involved too,” Minerva added.

Abby shook her head defiantly. “It’s not possible. Viktor and I followed her back to England late last night,” she informed them.

“What’s going on? Why do we always miss everything?” James asked as he, Bry and Siri made their way to us. They had been out playing Quidditch all morning thus missing most of what had been unfolding in the kitchen.

“Shh!” Molly hissed. She had arrived shortly after Luna and she was now as caught in the moment as the rest of us.

“So Saiph is back here then?” Mum questioned, her voice filled with concern.

Abby nodded and sniffed. “It’s only a matter of time before her and Bella have a nice little family reunion,” she answered, sarcastically.

“We won’t be able to prevent that so we need to start anticipating their next moves,” Dad acknowledged.

“We should be looking for my dad!” Abby cried.

“Neville, Kevin, Lydia and Maddie are already doing that, Abby,” Aunt Calli told her.

Mum stood up and headed toward us. I knew she was going to tell us to leave so I just stood up and walked out to the backyard. I wasn’t surprised to find Jack already out there or see everyone follow me. I was surprised when Mum joined us in the garden and even more so when Dad showed up moments later.

“We need to talk,” Dad stated.

“Are you going to tell us about Saiph?” Sarah asked, hopefully.

Mum nodded. “Yes, we are but you need to know that we don’t have much information on her. If it seems that we aren’t telling you much, we aren’t being evasive, we truly don’t know much more,” she confessed.

“What about Abby?” I asked.

“Remus gave her a Sleeping Draught and we took her upstairs to lie down,” Dad told me.

“Is her dad going to be okay?” Molly asked.

“I hope so, Molly,” Mum replied.

“When did life get so suddenly complicated?” Siri asked as he uprooted a handful of grass.

“I think it’s always been this way, we just didn’t know,” I told him. “Anyway, tell us about Saiph,” I said to Mum.

“Saiph is a very devoted follower of Bellatrix and the Dark Side. She happens to be a very gifted, very powerful witch. While Bellatrix was in Azkaban, Saiph was abroad recruiting people to join the Dark Side. When Bellatrix escaped, Saiph came here and the people she recruited are following her. It’s only a matter of time before they all come together and start causing trouble,” Mum informed us.

“Uncle Harry, how did Bellatrix escape in the first place?” Jake queried.

“Well, the Ministry has been having trouble finding a sufficient security replacement since the dementors left. We think that one of the guards accepted a bribe of some sort and allowed Bellatrix to leave or somehow allowed a wand to reach her possession. The people who know those details aren’t exactly on speaking terms with us,” Dad answered.

“Just stay alert and pay attention to everything going on around you wherever you go. Saiph does not appear evil, she lures people with her beauty and seemingly sweet disposition. In truth she is well on her way to surpassing Bellatrix’s own capabilities to inflict pain and coerce followers,” Mum said.

“Coerce?” Sarah asked.

“Just think of it as persuading,” Bry said.

My head began to ache and my stomach felt as if it had dropped to somewhere around my knees. What was happening to all of us? Were we doomed to live a life like this forever? We were going back to school tomorrow and we’d be expected to concentrate on classes, not the band of mad people seeking revenge for something that happened before we were even born.

“This sucks!” I yelled.

“Indeed,” James agreed.

“So, there will be no more midnight strolls through the castle, you can only be on the grounds for classes and no more Hogsmeade visits either,” Dad instructed. His rules were met by a series of groans and arguments. Dad put up a hand to quiet us. “I don’t want to hear a word of it. This is for your own safety and I know it’s not fun, but please obey me,” he pleaded.

“Why don’t you kids go back inside? I’m sure lunch will be ready soon,” Mum suggested.

“What ever happened to letting us lead a carefree lifestyle and making our own mistakes?” Bry asked.

“Since when are we treated like criminals for doing absolutely nothing wrong?” Katy spat.

“Since Bellatrix,” I snapped. “Bellatrix is the one to blame.”
**
Abby didn’t come out of her room for lunch but we knew she was awake because we could hear her walking around. When she didn’t come down for dinner, Gran started to really worry. If there’s anything that distresses my Gran most, it’s people who skip meals for any reason. Sometimes she takes it as a direct attack against her character, times like today, she won’t stop talking about whatever pops into her head until the meal is over or the missing person shows up.

“You kids know how much you need your strength and you know how you get it right?” she quipped in quite a biting tone.

“Yes,” we all muttered.

“Well, starving yourself doesn’t fix any situation! I’ll never understand why you people do that. Harry used to do it all the time, you know. Shut himself in some room for some reason or another and not come out for anyone at all. Why, when Dumbledore finally let him come to the Burrow over the summer, Harry would always be much too thin and moody. Always a moody boy, weren’t you Harry?” Gran said, distracted.

I pretended I wasn’t paying attention to Gran’s babbling by pouring me and Sarah more pumpkin juice. Sarah was having an animated conversation with Mack about one of Uncle Fred’s new jokes but I caught James watching my dad out of the corner of his eye.

“If you say so, Molly,” Dad grumbled.

“Abby should be down here! She needs to eat some food, have a nice dinner with her family and talk about something other than all this nonsense going on. She needs to take her mind off of things,” Gran continued.

“Mum, stop it. Do you really think it’s possibly to ignore the fact that your father has disappeared and might possibly be dead? Let her deal with it the way she feels is right,” Uncle Ron argued.

“But it’s not the right way, Ron! You kids never saw that either, carrying all your burdens with you, not telling anyone the truth, hiding information…you drive yourself mad that way! I never understood it!”

“Understood what, Gran?” Mack asked.

“How everything was perceived! They always thought we were against them! They thought we were hiding information from them because we didn’t think they were smart enough when we were just doing it to protect them. They never understood how ignorance could save them. No, no, not until they had kids of their own!”

“Who are you talking about?” Bry questioned.

“Mum let it go, please,” my mum said, a pleading note in her voice.

“I’m sorry, Ginny but I just can’t. I’m very upset and it just makes me think of the way things were when you were younger,” Gran acknowledged.

Siri’s head perked up a bit and Jake elbowed Molly in the side to get her attention.

“It’s not like that at all Mum,” Ron disputed, his ears turning slightly pink.

“Well, someone’s shut up in a room brooding, people are dying and disappearing, known Death Eaters are escaping and recruiting members and lies are being handed out like candy! Now tell me, Ron, how are things ‘not like that at all’?” Gran argued, growing close to hysterical.

Now, I have seen my Gran in her rants before when she really gets rolling in a scold or just lets anything on her mind fly out of her mouth, but nothing compared to her rant at dinner. People grew more and more tense each time she would start talking and Dad kept asking us if we were done with dinner. Mum tried to remind us to go pack twice and even Aunt Hermione was trying to distract us by asking if we had finished our assignments. That’s how we all knew that we needed to keep Gran in her moment for as long as possible.

“Voldemort’s dead, Molly,” Aunt Calli reminded in her quiet voice.

“Of course he is! But he wasn’t the only person guilty of over exposing our world to evil. I wish someone would prove me wrong by explaining how things are so much different now but I know not a soul will because that would be a lie and Merlin knows there’s enough of those around to feed the entire student population at Hogwarts for an entire term. Besides, we don’t lie to each other, do we? No, we just lie to them ! I’m telling you I’ve realized far too many mistakes that I have made in my life and it hurts even more to watch your kids do the same thing. But the vicious cycle of misinformation, hidden facts and watered down stories must continue in order to spare the innocent. Take on three more burdens to prevent someone you love from carrying one, am I right?”

I gave a bitter chuckle. “Of course, Gran, that’s the Potter way,” I said, bitterly.

Minerva’s glass clattered to the floor and Remus dropped his fork. Aunt Calli’s face went white and Uncle Fred looked speechless. But that was nothing compared to my father, the man who Gran’s rant was directed at. At first I thought he was going to hex me, send me to my room or even yell at me. His face was screwed into some awful, hateful expression and his fists were clenched. Mum tried to grab his hand but he simply stood up and walked out the backdoor, making sure to slam it behind him. Mum took a deep breath and followed him while Remus seemed to debate something and then walk outside too. I felt cold all over and mentally slapped myself for not realizing how horrible that comment had sounded. They have been opening up quite a bit lately…and this is what I do in return? I take the side of my ranting grandmother in a situation I know little, if anything about and completely insult my father? I felt a tear slide down my cheek and I slumped down into my seat.

“See what happens when you don’t come to dinner?” Gran mumbled right before heading to the stairs.

“Sure do, Gran goes mad and someone storms out and nearly breaks a door,” Jake whispered.

I silently stood up and walked upstairs to my room, telling myself that I was going to have to do a lot more then just say sorry this time.
Chapter 16 Do it for Dad by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Here it is! If anyone would like to beta the rest of this story for me...I'd give you loads of pretend cookies. Yummy! Otherwise, I hope you all enjoy and you know to review because it makes me smile and I like to smile. :)
Ch. 16: Do It For Dad

The next morning we all Flooed back to Hogwarts and separated to our Common Rooms. I tried to be socially involved in the many conversations but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I retreated to the dorm and collapsed into my bed. I felt out of place and everything that had become so familiar at Hogwarts suddenly seemed unrecognizable. I was waiting for Saiph or Bellatrix to burst through the door or pop out of a portrait.

It bothered me that Dad hadn’t traveled back with us. In fact, none of us saw him prior to leaving the Burrow. Mum explained that he was dealing with Order business and I knew she was being honest because she was anxious and easily irritated, but it still made me uneasy. I rolled over onto my stomach and groaned into my pillow. I hated feeling lost, guilty and angry all at once.

“Lily? What are you doing up here?” Trish asked, walking over to me.

“I’m not doing anything,” I told her.

“Are you all right?”

“Yes,” I simply replied.

“Look, I don’t even want to pretend to know what’s going on in your head, Lily, but you could at least appreciate the fact that I care enough to ask,” Trish stated. I didn’t say anything but I rolled over so my back was facing her, hoping that she’d take the hint and leave me alone.

“You should be careful how far away you push people, Lily,” she warned.

I sat up quickly. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It just means that if you insist on keeping all kinds of stuff to yourself, eventually no one will listen when you’re ready to open up,” she said, shrugging.

“I’m sorry, Trish but you don’t exactly pour your soul out to me,” I pointed out.

“Fair enough, Lily. But also remember that I’m not the one waking up tangled in my bedsheets, shaking all over because of some type of horrible nightmare,” she said, walking out the door.

I threw my pillow across the room and it landed where Trish had just been standing. I resented her for assuming she could understand anything I was going through and that it was even any of her business. Mostly though, I resented her because I was worried she was right.
**
Mack woke me up the next morning and the two of us joined Sarah at the table for breakfast. I was dreading classes, specifically class with my dad. He hadn’t spoken to me and no one had seen him since we got back to Hogwarts.

“I don’t see him,” I said, scanning the Head Table for my dad. His messy black hair and green eyes were missing amongst the staff.

“Maybe he already ate,” Mack suggested.

“Or he’s not eating at all,” Sarah added.

I shrugged and pushed my eggs around my plate as Sarah and Mack discussed possible new subject topics for lessons. Trish’s words were still running through my mind and I kept thinking about what Gran had said about my dad keeping everything bottled up. It bothered me that I was doing something similar, despite the fact that I know it’s not the best thing to do. Then again, how selfish would it be for me to dump everything on my friends? How would exposing others to the terror of my dreams make me feel better? Wouldn’t it actually make me feel worse?

“Lily? Lily did you even hear me?” Sarah asked.

“Huh?” I asked, focusing on her.

“I asked if you knew what Abby is doing here,” she repeated.

“What?”

She pointed up to the Head Table and sure enough Abby was sitting next to Snape and they appeared to be in deep conversation.

“When was the last time either of you saw Professor Potter?” Mack whispered.

“Yesterday morning when we left, I think,” Sarah answered.

“You saw him before we left? I didn’t! I haven’t seen him since he stormed out during dinner,” I grumbled.

“Same for me,” Mack agreed.

Sarah looked deep in thought and suddenly her eyes lit up. “I did see him! I ran back upstairs for my Potions book and I saw him when I walked by your parents bedroom,” she recalled.

I felt my heart speed up. “What was he doing?”

“Um, nothing really. He was sitting on the bed and holding something that looked silvery. I didn’t get a good look though since I was in such a hurry,” she told us.

I licked my lips. “Could it have been some type of clothing? Maybe a robe?” I suggested.

Sarah shrugged. “Maybe, it didn’t look like a bag or anything,”

My heart sank but I kept my face set in a look of confusion. I knew Dad had taken out his Invisibility Cloak and that only meant one thing: he was going away.

“I’ll meet you in Charms,” I said, standing up.

“Umm, okay?” Mack replied, watching me.

I exited the Hall quickly and headed for the Common Room. I kept my eyes peeled for red hair, either would suffice but I was hoping for…

“SIRI!” I yelled as I caught a glimpse of him rounding a corner.

“Lils, are you okay?” he asked, rushing over to me.

“Sarah saw him with the cloak ,” I said, pointedly.

“Who?” Natalie interrupted, coming up behind Siri.

“I don’t remember asking you to join us,” I snapped.

She glared at me and Siri looked shocked. “I’ll catch up with you later, Nat,” he mumbled, pulling me away.

“Whatever,” she grumbled.

Siri let go of me after we turned down an empty corridor. I was about to continue our conversation when he pierced me with a cold glare. “What the hell was that about?” he scolded, pointing in the direction we had just come from.

“This is none of your little girlfriend’s business,” I spat.

“Natalie is not my girlfriend! She’s just a friend who happens to be a girl. And she knows all about what’s going on because I told her. There was no reason to snap at her!” he defended.

I dropped my jaw in shock. “You told her everything? Are you mad? What if she tells other people? How could you be so careless?” I cried.

“I trust her, Lily! I’ve known her for three years and she’s a good person. Besides, Dad went to school with her parents,” he said, shrugging.

“And that’s enough justification for you to tell her everything we uncover? For Merlin’s sake, Siri loads of people went to school with both Mum and Dad! That doesn’t automatically make them trustworthy supporters of our side!” I argued.

He suddenly grabbed my shoulders and shook me. “Will you listen to yourself? You have to stop acting like we’re on some secret Order mission. We are at school, Lily. You need to expand your social circle farther than our family. And you have to let yourself trust other people! Nat has never been anything but kind to you and you were just rude for no reason. I’m embarrassed now, so thanks for the awkward conversations this incident will lead to,” he lectured as the bell rang.

“I have to get to class,” I said, coldly.

“I’ll talk to you after dinner then,” he said, trying to pull me in for a hug.

I pushed him away. “Don’t bother, Siri. I don’t want to take you away from your evermore important social circle,” I snapped.

It wasn’t until I slumped into my seat next to Sarah that I realized Siri probably hadn’t even caught what I had said about Dad.
**
“Do you feel like everyone seemed a bit distracted?” Mack asked as we left Potions.

“I know what you mean,” Sarah agreed.

I turned away and headed toward the Fat Lady.

“Lily?”

“I’ll see you guys later, I’m not feeling well,” I lied.

“Do you want me to fetch Madam Pomfrey?” Mack offered.

“No, I’ll be fine,” I said, leaving them at the staircase.

I went straight to the dorm and climbed into bed. I needed to think and the solitude suited me nicely for that purpose. Dad had his Invisibility Cloak and Abby was here which meant he must be out on a mission of some sort. Between the mysterious whereabouts of Draco, Bellatrix and Saiph I couldn’t figure out whom he was seeking. All three were huge possibilities due to Dad’s loyalty, his desire for revenge and his determination to stop the spreading of the Dark Side.

I sighed. The only idea that seemed to produce any type of actual result would be to let myself fall asleep and hope to see him or something that would give me a clue as to his location. The problem was I didn’t want to do that at all, for obvious reasons. First of all, the idea of voluntarily entering that world bothered me and secondly, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to control anything once there.

My hands began to shake and I felt fear creeping into every point of my body. I closed my eyes and tried to slow my breathing. Do it, Lily, I told myself. Do it for Dad. With the image of Dad’s smiling, happy face I allowed myself to fall into a deep sleep and enter a world that terrified me to no end.
**
I found myself in an unknown room which appeared to have been searched recently. Parchment littered the floor so heavily I had to kick it aside to walk around. A green leather couch was tipped over, exposing its legs and a small table rested on its side with bits of glass on the floor surrounding it. There was no light source but the room seemed to be producing a soft blue hue that allowed me to see where I was going.

“Hello?” I whispered, my voice cracking slightly.

I heard nothing but silence as I approached the center of the mystery room. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I wasn’t alone and I needed to discover whoever else was in here with me before I would be able to calm down slightly.

“Dad? Dad, are you here?” I asked.

The silence was suddenly disrupted by a moan. The sound sent a chill down my spine. It was a low, mournful tone and the only thing I could associate with the horrible sound was agony, pure and relentless agony.

Tears immediately welled up in my eyes. “Daddy? Where are you?” I cried.

The room suddenly shifted and I was at the beginning of the longest hallway I had ever seen. There were no torches lining the wall to light my way so I just remained still and gazed into the darkness, too frightened to move.

My heart was pounding so loudly my ears were ringing and for some reason I was panting, I felt as if I had just sprinted to the Burrow and back. I took a step forward and suddenly I was falling. I was rocketing downwards into complete darkness with nothing to grab onto at a speed so fast tears were burning my eyelids. I knew nothing would stop me until I crashed back to Earth and at that point I could do nothing but cry out for my dad and pray that someone heard me.
Chapter 17 - The Transcender by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long, my first submission of this chapter was rejected so everyone cross their fingers that this one makes it through.
Lily finds her talent causes more complications and her life could quite possibly change forever.
Enjoy DH everyone!
Ch. 17 The Transcender

“Lily! Lily!”

“Mack, go get Sirius, quickly!”

“What’s going on with her?”

“Shit, she’s cold as ice. Snape will know what to do…Trish, he’ll be in his office!”

“She isn’t dead is she?”

“Not funny, Pam,”

“Not joking, Sarah,”

“What happened?”

“Siri, she won’t wake up!”

“Touch her, she’s freezing!”

“I thought you two were watching her! Damn, Sarah, how could you let this happen?”

“Watch your mouth, Mr. Potter,”

“Sir, please help her,”

“What happened? Did any of you see anything?”

“Pardon me, sir, but can’t we figure this out later?”

“She needs Mum! She’s had another vision and she needs Mum to get her out of it!”

“For your information, Mr. Potter, your mother has been notified and is arriving on the grounds as we speak. I’m sure she is intelligent enough to guess we will be in the Hospital Wing, so we shall meet up with her there,”

“Let’s go then!”
**

The falling sensation stopped so I was stationary but my feet still weren’t touching the ground either; I was floating. I was still enveloped in darkness but it was less frightening, now that I wasn’t falling blindly. I could hear murmured whispers all around me and they sounded excited, not foreboding.

“Hello?” I called out bravely, my voice echoing around me. The murmured whispers stopped suddenly and for a moment, I thought they had all just been an illusion.

“Lily? Lily, what are you doing here?” a familiar voice asked as a figure approached.

“I’m waiting for the dream to end so I can wake up,” I replied.

The darkness suddenly evaporated and the area surrounding me lit up beautifully to reveal hundreds of people floating around. The old woman appeared in front of me and I breathed a sigh of relief while flashing her a smile.

“Good, you’re here. Can you let me wake up now?” I asked her.

She didn’t smile; her face was filled with confusion. She suddenly reached out to touch my hand and I shivered, she was freezing!

“You’re warm,” she stated.

“Well I was until you touched me!” I said, rubbing my hands together for warmth.

“But…I don’t understand this at all. You aren’t supposed to be here if you’re warm,” the old woman said in a quiet voice as though speaking to herself.

Those around her nodded and began murmuring again. My anxiety returned and I glanced at the visible faces around me. Everyone either looked confused or near tears. I once again was out of the loop. This did not bode well with me since the loop seemed to concern me at the moment. I inhaled deeply in an effort to calm myself.

“Look, Miss…” I began.

“Sybill. Please call me Sybill,” she requested.

I froze, my mouth open and ready to continue. A wave of nausea flowed through me. This was not happening! It was impossible! I hadn’t done anything dangerous at all…except rocket down a never ending hole. “S-S-Sybill? But I can’t be seeing you…you’re dead. I’m not dead. Oh, please tell me I am not dead!” I cried as tears streamed down my face.

“You are not dead, Lily,” another woman said. Her chubby, round face seemed vaguely familiar but I couldn’t place it. And, in all honesty, placing seemingly familiar faces wasn’t my top priority at the moment. I just gazed at her, thirsty for more information and hopefully some good news.

“Then why am I here?” I asked, growing more frantic with each moment.

“I think it’s becoming blatantly obvious she is much more than a Seer, Sybill,” the unknown woman whispered.

“Quite, Alice, quite a bit more,” Sybill responded.

“Lily, dear, what was the last thing that happened before you went to sleep,” the woman called Alice asked me.

“I was thinking about doing something and then debating my decision,” I evaded purposely. Explaining my actions to the Old Woman, well Sybill now, had been quite easy since it was just the two of us. Now I was surrounded by hundreds of unfamiliar people who were peering at me as if I were some type of puppy in a pet store window. It was quite unnerving.

“Explain further, please,”

I sighed. I had to answer her or else I’d be stuck here forever. If I just keep being honest with them, eventually I’ll learn how to get out of this place. “I wanted to See my Dad, to find out where he is, what he’s doing and to make sure he’s okay,” I admitted.

“So you chose to have a vision? That’s impossible! Never in all of my life have I ever heard of anyone accomplishing that goal. Only few have even attempted it you know…myself included,” Sybill told me.

“This isn’t a vision though. I’m not foreseeing anything, right? I’m just chatting with dead people apparently,” I mumbled.

A cool breeze ran through me and it caused the atmosphere around our group to shift significantly. The monstrous effect this small action had on those surrounding me was slightly frightening. “Lily, listen to me carefully. When you wake up, go to Severus Snape and tell him everything that has happened. Your parents will know how to find him,” Alice instructed, her words coming out quickly. Both of the women had begun pacing opposite each other, neither one of them took their eyes off of me.

“And tell him Sybill and Alice sent you,” Sybill added, frantically as she kept wringing her hands. Alice suddenly looked over her shoulder causing my breath to hitch and sweat to begin pooling on my forehead.

I didn’t understand why they were speaking so fast or why Alice had looked over her shoulder or why I should go to Snape, of all people, for answers. I had absolutely no intention of going to Snape for anything. As soon as I finished that thought Sybill pierced me with a look so powerful, I almost was forced to shut my eyes. I looked away and concentrated on those standing around me. They were still and silent for some reason. A few even stepped back away from me. Then suddenly the darkness returned and I was alone again. Alone in the dark…floating in no man’s land. I held in some tears and I played back my weird venture into my subconscious. There had to be some way out, I had to be able to somehow make myself return to reality.

“Lillian, please wake up!” Mum’s pleading voice called, penetrating all thoughts running through my mind.

The tone of her voice caused something to stir within me. My surroundings shifted and I found myself lying in the hospital wing. Mum had tears in her eyes and her defiant expression softened when our eyes met. She managed a weak smile and inclined her head to the others around her. I was surprised she didn’t say anything but then I realized she wanted me to see how much these people worried about me. Mack was clinging to Bry for support, both of them had their eyes closed and heads resting against each other. Sarah was crying into Mum’s shirt, Jake was sitting in Katy’s lap and she was whispering what I assume were comforting words in his ear while Siri paced the back wall that James was sitting against, both of them covering their faces so I couldn’t read their expressions. My gaze shifted to Snape, standing in the corner with his arms crossed simply observing those around him.

He suddenly looked at me and our eyes locked. I felt him searching my thoughts and decided to follow the advice I had been given. I concentrated solely on what had just happened and watched the recent events play back in my mind. I showed him my seemingly endless fall, the encounter with Sybill and Alice and how suddenly everyone had disappeared. The more I showed him caused more color to rise in his cheeks. He wordlessly walked out of the room, the door closing loudly behind him causing everyone to be pulled out of their own thoughts.

“LILY! HEY, SHE’S AWAKE!” Sarah cried, jumping onto my bed and hugging me fiercely.

“Course I am, why wouldn’t I be?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

“We’ve been trying to wake you for nearly two days now. Mack and I found you in the dorm asleep. When I tried to wake you, you didn’t stir at all and I got really worried and then you suddenly became ice cold for no reason,” Sarah explained.

“I came in and tried all sorts of things. We shook you, screamed in your face, hit you with pillows…nothing worked,” Siri continued, pushing Sarah out of the way so he could squeeze me tightly.

“Then someone fetched Snape and Snape fetched Mum and we all came here to wait until you…woke up,” Bry finished, hovering awkwardly at the foot of my bed. He finally rubbed my foot as what I think he meant to be a tender gesture.

“Well, thanks…I think,” I said, uncertainly while looking at Mum. She looked exhausted and a little frightened. Her beautiful hair was in a lopsided ponytail, her cheeks were flushed and her robes were quite wrinkled. Perhaps Sarah had been clutching them rather tightly for some time.

“Did you See anything?” Mum inquired hopefully. She sat down next to me on the bed, pushed my hair out of my face and poked my nose.

I shook my head. “Not really. I think I may have been at Sybill’s home because…well, it’s just what it felt like,” I attempted to explain.

Mum patted my hand and kissed my forehead, then asked in typical-mum fashion, “Do you need anything, honey?”

“I’d like some tea, I think,” I requested.

Mum nodded and stood. “Now that she’s awake, I think you all can go back to your dorms. You need to rest and catch up on your lessons from today,” Mum ordered. Siri made an attempt to argue causing Mum to pierce him with a glare…the type of glare that didn’t leave any room for an argument.

She held open the door and ushered everyone out. “Just tea then?” she asked again.

“If you could bring me something to eat, that would be great, Mum. I haven’t eaten in a while, thank Merlin Gran isn’t here to hear that!” I told her, laughing.

Mum smiled and gave a small chuckle. “You seem fine, Lily. I’ll go get your food and meet you in Snape’s office okay? I can tell you’re just itching to discuss something with him,” Mum said.

“How-”

Mum laughed. “Lily, I’m your mother and that automatically means I can tell when you’re hiding something. I also think that it would surprise you to know how well I can decipher silent communication or a person allowing their thoughts to be read. Go on to the Headmaster’s Office, dear. I will meet you there shortly,” she promised, inclining her head toward the door.

I jumped out of bed, momentarily amazed at how unfazed I was by spending two days in bed, and ran out the door, amazed at how brilliant my mother continued to be on a daily basis.
**
For the first time in my short but eventful time at Hogwarts, I did not exactly dread going to the Headmaster’s Office. I actually felt a bit of excitement as I knocked on the door.

“Come in,” I heard Dumbledore’s voice call.

Despite my confusion and anxiety a smile appeared at the sound of the wise old man’s voice. I opened the door and crossed the threshold to find the office lacking any living occupant.

I walked forward cautiously, unsure of what Snape had in store for me. Was he mad that I showed him only what I wanted him to see? Was he twisted enough to think it would be entertaining to suddenly appear and frighten me?

“Where is Snape?” I asked Dumbledore as I approached his portrait dwelling.

“The Headmaster has been kind enough to let me have a few moments alone with you, Lily. Please sit down,” he instructed, motioning to a rather comfortable looking armchair.

“This is new,” I pointed out as I sat down.

“I persuaded Severus to provide you with a more comfortable seating arrangement this evening. This is, after all, a visit and not a punishment my dear. I have also found that one pays more attention when proper seating is provided and an aching backside isn’t a distraction,” he explained.

I held back a chuckle. I may be young but I am more than capable of recognizing an attempt to lure me into a sense of relaxation so I’ll be more likely to talk. I wasn’t quite ready to unload everything on my mind…especially to the portrait of a dead professor, no matter how brilliant people believed him to be.

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled from behind his spectacles and he flattened a few creases in his robes. “So, I hear you had quite an entertaining return to school, Lily,” he began.

“I guess it depends on what you would consider entertaining, sir. I actually find it frightening and a bit of a nuisance,” I confessed.

“Amazing isn’t it, Lily? People who hear about your ability consider it a gift, something one should feel special to possess. Yet here you sit, burdened with knowledge and afraid to even sleep at night. I would correlate that description with a curse more than a gift,” he said, peering at me.

I knew what he was doing but I could do nothing to stop myself from opening up, it was like some invisible forced reached into my throat and pulled the words right from me. “I’m only trying to accept this curse because that’s all I can really do. But I never know if I’m going to wake up again, I never know what I will run into or if I will be capable of defending myself when the need arises. It’s so bloody terrifying,” I cried as tears welled up in my eyes.

“It’s simply life, Lily. We all face those fears at some point, the best we can do is, in learning from our mistakes; prevent certain negative events from repeating, does that make sense?”

“Not really, sir. But sometimes I think its okay not to understand everything. When you know too much life gets really complicated,” I replied.

“Very true, dear. Now, would you like to discuss the ‘what’ part of your vision?” he suggested.

“The ‘what’ part, sir?” I repeated with a cocked eyebrow.

“Yes, Lily, you see I have not figured out the ‘how’ and ‘why’ yet but between Severus and myself, the ‘what’ has been discovered,” he explained.

“And?” I prompted.

“We were all wrong to believe you to be a Seer, Lily. You are much, much more than that. You possess a curse, shall we say, so rare that hardly any information about it exists. Severus has in his possession a very ancient tome and I believe there is information in this book that will help your recent…adventures make more sense to you,” he continued, eagerly.

“Well is this book needed for you to tell me what the talent is?” I asked, my nerves causing my hands to suddenly twitch.

“Of course not, Miss Potter,” he answered.

“Well please tell me, sir. I can’t stand waiting any longer!” I half-shouted.

“Lily, you are a Transcender,” he replied, clasping his hands together on his lap.

The previously ‘sleeping’ portraits all suddenly snapped their heads up and began staring at me shamelessly. I glared at the lot of them before facing Dumbledore again.

“I have no idea what that means,” I admitted through clenched teeth. I was becoming increasingly agitated and I couldn’t really explain why. Perhaps it was the hundreds of portraits staring at me and mumbling to each other.

“It means you can move from the land of the living to beyond the veil,” a voice drawled behind me.

“Beyond the veil, eh? Perhaps I’d be a bit more reactive if I knew what the bloody hell that meant,” I snapped at the approaching form of Snape.

“Oh you know, Miss Potter, I saw it in your mind. You knew the second after she told you her name, didn’t you?” Snape asked.

I turned away, my cheeks growing hot with anger. I knew all right and I wanted nothing to do with any of that nonsense.

“Transcending is extremely rare, Lily and it is even rarer to happen in a bloodline that hasn’t produced any Seers previously,” Dumbledore explained.

“Well great. I guess this means the ‘chatting with dead people’ thing wasn’t a one time incident then?”

“No and you should be aware that not everyone you encounter is an ally,” Snape informed me.

“Big surprise…what would this curse be without a few drawbacks?” I asked.

“Now sit back, my dear because Severus and I have a bit more to tell you,” Dumbledore revealed.

At that moment, Mum came in with tea and conjured a chair of her own. Severus waited until Mum was settled before opening a large, dusty book and piercing me with a look that simply said, ‘shut up and listen’. I slumped back in my chair and moaned. Why does everything have to be so complicated for me?
Chapter 18 The Burden of Being a Potter by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long to update, but with the 7th book coming out and work getting kind of crazy, I just didn't have time to update. But I hope this chapter makes up for it and you all enjoy...
Ch. 18 The Burden of Being a Potter

“I do hope you plan on paying more attention to this than you do most of your lessons, Miss Potter,” Snape said.

“Seeing as this seems to be a bit more important, I will try to give my undivided attention,” I replied through gritted teeth.

“Lily, it’s going to be all right,” Mum whispered as she grabbed my hand.

In the tense atmosphere suffocating the Headmaster’s Office her words brought me no comfort and her gesture did little more than cause me to resent her. Nothing was going to be all right! My Mum is one of the most intelligent people I know and here she sat trying to convince me that everything was going to be all right even when she and I both knew everything was not going to be all right.

I just knew there was much more to this…talent, as Dumbledore put it. The fact that said talent is so rare only made me feel more stranded and different than everyone else. Here was yet another thing that separates me from being normal…well, as normal as the offspring of war heroes could be. Now I feel so far away from everyone else and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to feel close to any of them anymore.

“The Prophecy concerning your dear father is quite famous and well known now, but there was a time when only a select few were aware of its existence. A prophecy can be a rather difficult thing to understand for some people, due to the fact that it is often not immediately known who is being referred to. In your case, there is a prophecy that doesn’t necessarily refer to you directly, but instead refers to the ability you happen to possess,” Snape explained in a monotone.

Mum’s grip tightened for a moment, causing me to glance at her and raise an eyebrow. She smiled apologetically and gave my hand a soft squeeze. She looked so tense, her brows were lowered and drawn together toward her nose and her eyes were slightly narrowed as she gazed at Snape. Mum’s attitude made me wonder if Snape and Dumbledore had explained things to her, at least a little before talking to me.

“Okay, can you tell me what my prophecy is then?” I asked, trying to keep my voice even.

Snape pierced me with another glare which caused me to shudder involuntarily. “First of all, Miss Potter, this prophecy isn’t yours. As I’ve already explained and what you obviously weren’t listening to was that the prophecy I am talking about pertains to your gift, not to you. This prophecy could relate to anyone with the same gift you possess. Furthermore, I cannot tell you a detailed version of this ancient prophecy. You see, since nothing concerns you directly, the prophecy itself must be vague if it is to apply to different people. All that is known is that a Transcender’s purpose is to prevent one incident and end another. These are not menial things, Miss Potter, they are events that affect society as a whole. So helping your oldest brother find a suitable girlfriend does not qualify as benefiting society. Do you understand?”

I didn’t understand any part of it at all, except the bit about Sirius, but I wasn’t about to let Snape know that. His smirking face staring straight at me prevented any questions from forming on my lips and I wasn’t about to admit my obliviousness to him. I decided that nodding solemnly would be my best reaction option so that’s what I did. I noticed Dumbledore was watching me intently and I knew that he was completely aware of why I was acting this way.

“Lily, what you need to do fulfill your purpose as a Transcender is going to be quite difficult. You must prevent something awful and negative to the world from ever happening and you must end something that is inflicting pain and unhappiness upon our society also. This will not be easy, dear. You must first figure out what you need to prevent and end before you can actually take any action,” Dumbledore explained. “From now on, you need to tell someone about anything that happens in the form of a vision, regardless of how unimportant it may seem. Notify your mother, Abigail, Severus or myself immediately, is that understood?”

My throat had sealed shut so I just nodded again. I suddenly felt heavy, as if a new weight was suddenly upon me and in reality there was a new weight there. No words could describe the fear coursing through me, no amount of calming deep breaths could stop my heart from racing within my chest. No amount of comforting words or gestures could ease my out of control emotions from reeking havoc on my brain. To me, it sounded as if I was going to have to prevent and end something like a war and wars aren’t really frequent in our world, which is a good thing. Sure there is still evil around us all, but that doesn’t mean we’ll all be at war tomorrow.

“Be aware that this prophecy may take years to be carried out also. Possibly an entire lifetime if you miss one opportunity,” Snape pointed out.

“Severus! How dare you! We need to be helping her right now, not putting more pressure on her. How can you expect her to come to you with information if you constantly belittle her importance and her intelligence?” Mum asked, her voice raising to that level close to scolding.

“I am merely pointing out that she cannot afford to miss any opportunities, Ginny. Don’t be angry with me, this is not my fault. I am merely relaying the message,” he said, waving his hand across his desk to the tome still lying open in front of him.

“And enjoying every second aren’t you? You need to see that she is not Harry, Severus. She is frightened and probably confused to the point where she doesn’t even know where she fits in anymore. You making her even more afraid only makes the situation worse!” Mum replied.

“I’m right here you guys!” I said, annoyed that they were speaking about me as if I were not present.

“I think we all need to calm down. Ginny, she will be safe here as you and Harry were in your years here. Lily knows how to contact me if she needs me and I know that there happens to be a pot of Floo powder hidden on the mantle of the Gryffindor fireplace, but I happen to have no idea how it found its way there. And with Abigail replacing Harry for the time being, Lily has another person to turn to if the need arises. Now, Lily I suggest you go tickle the pear on the portrait of the bowl of fruit. This will take you to the kitchens, you know. I would ask the house-elf by the name of Kreacher to make you a nice cup of hot chocolate,” Dumbledore instructed as my mum sucked in her breath and shook her head.

“Really, Professor, I don’t think that is necessary. I am more than capable of making a cup of hot chocolate for my daughter,” Mum said, clutching at my hand to prevent me from standing up.

“Of course you are, Ginny, but Severus and I need to discuss some private items with you. You see, I was using the lure of hot chocolate to intrigue Lily to leave without actually telling her she cannot partake in our conversation,”

“It’s fine, Mum. I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” I said, kissing her forehead and standing up. I nodded slightly at Snape and flashed a sad but grateful smile at Dumbledore before heading to the door.

I could still feel Dumbledore’s blue eyes watching me as I left the office. It really began to bother me that a man I hardly know can see through me with such little effort. I was willing to bet he knew I wouldn’t go for hot chocolate tonight, but I think he knew that I caught on about talking to that house-elf. The problem is, I think Mum caught on too.
**
With classes becoming increasingly difficult and me having constant dreams about nothing every other night, my anxiety level has increased to a level much too high for an eleven year old. I was having trouble concentrating on my lessons, I found myself jumping at the slightest noise and my lack of sleep was causing me to drift off at random points during the day.

“Lily, why don’t you go to bed?” Mack suggested, grabbing my hand.

“Huh?” I asked, shaking my head and opening my eyes to observe my surroundings.

We were in the Common Room and from the open book sitting on my lap I gathered we were studying for our upcoming Charms exam. I vaguely remembered Mack suggesting we study on our way back to the common room after dinner. I looked out the window and was surprised to see a dark sky blanketing the grounds in blackness. For some reason I remembered when I had been falling blindly through the darkness of something I didn’t know and from simply seeing the same atmosphere outside, I suddenly felt cold. I shivered slightly, although no one noticed, and felt something looming in the back of my mind.

“I think we should go to bed,” Sarah agreed as her and Mack coaxed me out of my seat and led me toward the stairs to the dorm.

“No, I can’t sleep yet,” I cried out suddenly, yanking my hand away from Sarah.

The Common Room noise dropped considerably and people were casting side-long looks towards me, but I didn’t care. They could think that I was the ‘loony Potter girl’ all they wanted, I was more bothered by the feeling that if I fell asleep I was going to have to see something…and I was so tired of that! Besides, Quidditch is tomorrow and I want to be able to enjoy the game with my housemates. If I went to bed now I knew I would see something and whatever I saw I wouldn’t be able to forget anytime soon. Most of my visions haunt me endlessly, they replay in my mind during the day causing my focus to be distracted from whatever was going on in my actual life.

“Do you want a sleeping potion, Lily? Aunt Hermione dropped some off earlier,” Sarah told me in a soft, gentle voice.

I closed my eyes and drew a deep breath. In truth a part of me really wanted to give in and take Aunt Hermione’s potion but a larger part of me didn’t want to have to resort to taking a potion in order to sleep every night for the rest of my life. I had to draw the line at some point and teach myself to control my ‘talent’.

“Lils, uh…I, uh, I really think you should, you know, take that potion,” Siri whispered, not meeting my gaze.

“Do you now?” I scoffed. The ‘Save Lily Potter’ campaign being run by my friends was really getting old. Sarah and Mack felt more like nannies now, Bry was testing my ‘cognitive thinking’ at any opportunity, Molly and Katy kept owling my mum with status reports and Jake was just flat out avoiding me. James was the only person who attempted to act normal around me. But Sirius, my big, overprotective brother was acting the oddest.

He was still angry at me for putting his ‘girlfriend’ in her place but he was also taking advantage of his status as big brother and putting his two cents in whenever he deemed fit. My annoyance with him was at a breaking point. If he was going to care, then he could apologize for those awful things he said to me and for letting some tart in our family business.

“Yes, and I don’t want to hear any form of argument about this, Lily,” Siri continued, attempting to sound stern enough to force me to listen. Unfortunately for Siri, our mother was much better at being forceful than him and even she can’t always guarantee my cooperation.

“Well, maybe I’ll take you seriously when you stop acting like such a wanker!” I responded.

Siri just stared at me in disbelief as he sat in his chair. Never, in all of my life, have I ever spoken to him like that. I forced my expression to remain stern and I caught a glimpse of Jake’s eyes peering at me over the back of the couch. Sarah, Mack and James just silently watched and waited for someone to say something.

“Good luck tomorrow,” I added, turning and heading up the staircase.

“Does anyone think Lily just sounded exactly like her mum?” Sarah asked.

“Definitely, but that glare was all Uncle Harry. What do you think, Siri?” Jake asked.

“I just got called a wanker by my baby sister, Jake. I’m more concerned about that than which parent she resembles,” Siri answered.

James cocked an eyebrow and Siri sighed. “Fine, she’s Mum! Frighteningly just like Mum!”
**
“Lillian,” a sweet voice called.

I kept my eyes closed, too afraid of what I might see if I opened them.

“Lillian,”

The voice was so soft and so pretty, it was practically forcing my eyes to open. I felt warm all over and every syllable uttered was like a comforting blanket being draped over me. I finally gave in and opened my eyes.

I was shocked to see myself looking down on a little dark haired girl in a flower bed. Then I saw my mum coming toward the girl and I realized I wasn’t seeing anything special; I was looking at the moment when I displayed my first signs of magic.

“Hello honey, what are you doing?” Mum asked my younger self.

“Daddy gets home tonight right? I’m making him a flower necklace to wear at dinner,” my younger self replied.

“That’s very sweet, dear. Can you pick a yellow flower for me?”

My younger self giggled and gazed at the many flowers with a look of concern. Finally, a red flower was chosen and right as my hand made contact with the stem, the blossom turned yellow. Mum’s face lit up and she screamed in delight. I watched her lift my small body off the ground and shower me with murmured praises and kisses. I realized that I must have been a late bloomer. Judging by my appearance I was probably about six years old, and I know all the boys had all had their ‘moment’ by the age of four.

I closed my eyes and sought comfort in the scene playing before me. A smile played across my lips until I remembered that these visions have a way of changing without my permission when I close my eyes. And sure enough, when I opened my eyes again I was no longer looking at my mother showering me with kisses.

I was back at Sybill’s house again, the main room in the same state as before. Only this time there was someone sitting on the floor. I cautiously approached the mysterious person and my heart fluttered in my chest when I realized it was my father.

“DAD!” I cried as happiness surged through me. I knew he wouldn’t respond but he was mumbling something to himself. His fingertips were rubbing his temples in a rhythmic motion.

“She wouldn’t have killed Draco right away because she needs him. She must have taken him somewhere. Where would they go? What is the best option?” he stood up and began pacing.

“They’d go somewhere she could feel safe and protected. Family…it doesn’t matter which side you fight for, people seek protection from their family!” he shouted, throwing his hands in the air triumphantly.

He stopped as if something suddenly occurred to him. “Oh no! No, no, no! We should have seen this sooner!” he whispered before wordlessly Disapparating, leaving me confused and alone.

“Sybill? Are you here? Alice? Anyone?” I called out, listening to my echo bounce off the walls.

Deciding to use my ‘vision jumping’ ability to my advantage, I closed my eyes again, praying I would end up wherever my dad went. Instead I was in a dark room. The air reeked of sweat and blood and it was brutally cold. I decided that I must be in a cellar of some sort and took a brave step forward. A cloud of dust assaulted my eyes, causing them to tear up and burn.

And then I stepped in something slick and almost lost my balance. I lit my wand and bent down, shining the small amount of light down by my feet. When I realized what I was looking at I screamed and jumped back. I continued to shine the light on the floor near me and felt vomit rise in my throat. I was standing in a pool of blood.

“Oh, gods! Oh, sick, gross, nastiness! Yucky!” I cried as I tried to find away around the puddle that didn’t involve me walking through it.

“Who’s there?” a voice croaked.

My heart skipped a beat before plummeting to my stomach. “Wh “ what?” I whispered.

“Is someone there? Come to finish me off have you? I won’t tell you anything! It doesn’t matter what you do to me, you hear? I won’t tell you a bloody thing!”

I gulped and pointed my wand in the direction of the voice. I was hoping it was just someone having a dream or a hallucination, but what I saw made me gasp in surprise.

“I heard that! Who’s there? ANSWER ME DAMNIT!”

“Dr “ Draco?” I choked out.

His face was unrecognizable and his blonde hair was matted with dried blood. His only open grey eye gazed at a point just to the left of my head while his other eye was practically black and as big as a Quaffle. His lips were cracked and swollen and he was much too pale. His skin was hanging off his bones and he kept drawing deep, rattling breaths each time he spoke.

“Ibby, baby is that you?” he asked, softly.

I cleared my throat. “Um, no, it’s…a, it’s Lily,” I answered.

“Potter? Why can’t I see you then? How did you get in here? Where are the others? Are you going to help me or not?” he rattled off.

“Where are we?” I asked, taking a step toward him. I needed a minute to try to understand what was going on here. How was I able to interact with him? How could he hear me but not see me?

“The old Riddle House, but surely you knew that since you are here. What’s going on? What’s the plan?” Draco asked again, looking just past my right ear now.

“Holy shit!” I gasped. It suddenly occurred to me that I knew where Draco was at this moment. I can wake up and go to Mum and the Order can go save him. And then another realization blindsided me. Draco could hear me but he couldn’t see me…yet. He must be close to dying in order for me to be able to talk to him but I couldn’t touch him. I needed to wake up quickly and get Mum to move fast.

“Draco listen, okay? Hold on, I’m going to tell the others you are here and they will come for you. Just hold on a little longer. Can you do that?” I asked.

He merely grunted in response. I was about to attempt a simple healing spell but then decided against it. First off, I wasn’t entirely sure I would be successful and secondly, his tormentors might find it a bit odd if he was slightly healed the next time they saw him.

I closed my eyes and poured every ounce of my soul into forcing myself to wake up. It was the oddest feeling…I felt stuck. I wasn’t in the cellar with Draco anymore but I wasn’t back in the dorm either. Just when I began to think I’d never be successful, I was forcefully pulled forward. I opened my eyes and found myself tangled in my sheets. I breathed a quick sigh of relief and sprinted out of my bed and down the stairs, not caring if I woke anyone in the process.

Once I reached the fireplace I frantically searched for the Floo powder Dumbledore had mentioned. I knocked over two lion statues, a picture of the House team and some weird little silver trinket before spotting a small, red pot. I grabbed a pinch of the powder inside and threw it into the fireplace. Then I crouched down near the hearth, stuck my head in the green flames and called “The Burrow!”

“MUM! MUM! MUM!” I screamed, my voice coming out hoarse and shaky.

She came sprinting into the den, her hair knotted and eyes puffy. “Lily? What’s happened?” she asked, the alarm in her voice audible.

“It’s Draco. He’s in the cellar of the old Riddle house and, Mum he’s going to DIE soon if he doesn’t get any help!” I cried, tears streaming down my face.

Her eyes widened in alarm but her face was determined. She nodded at me once, said “Thank you, Lily,”, and then she was gone.

I sat back on the floor and sobbed, rocking myself back in forth in an effort to quiet myself. This was my newfound purpose in life, my ‘gift’ to the world. I have the ability to communicate with the dead and try to help those close to dying. There are no words to describe the sense of responsibility that caved down on me in that moment. It’s too much responsibility, I don’t want to save everyone, I don’t want to see people on the verge of death…I don’t want to be Lily Potter anymore.
Chapter 19 The Professor and the House-Elf by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Here it is. Sorry for the long wait, I've been really busy with work and it took forever for me to type this chapter. I hope you all enjoy it and please leave a review!
Ch. 19 The Professor and the House-Elf



I couldn’t stop crying. The image of Draco’s badly beaten face was seared into my mind and I kept seeing him whether my eyes were open or closed. My body was shaking from my sobs and I wished my mum was able to come here to comfort me, even though I knew that was out of the question. She was probably halfway to Draco’s location by now because he needed her help more than I did.



I couldn’t bring myself to go back upstairs; I didn’t have the strength to make it that far. I settled for curling up on the rug in front of the fire and just letting my tears drench my face and t-shirt.



“Lily?”



My heart leapt at the sound of my big brother’s voice. I forgot how angry he had made me, forgot that we weren’t speaking and that I hated his stupid girlfriend. In that moment I forgot about everything and just let go.



“Siri!” I cried, a sob escaping me as his name left my lips.



He ran over and crouched down by my face. I could barely see his green eyes through my tears but I knew he would be concerned.



“Oh, Lily, what’s wrong?” he asked pulling me up and holding me to him. “Did you see something bad?”



I couldn’t force my mouth to form words so I just tightened my grip around his neck. I could feel his head moving from left to right as if he was looking for something and then he nudged my face away from his chest so he could talk to me.



“It’s okay, I’ll get Mum. I’ll Floo her right now, okay?” he said.



I shook my head back and forth so quickly I ended up hitting his chin rather hard. “She’s…not there,” I whispered.



“Is she at The Burrow?” he asked softly.



I shook my head again and sighed. I sniffled a few more times and then Siri lifted me up and put me on the couch. He walked away and returned with a blanket which he used to drape over me.



“Better?” he asked, tucking the corners of the blanket behind my shoulders.



I nodded and took a few more calming breaths. Siri was watching me with a mixture of fear and pity and for once, that expression didn’t bother me. He was a source of comfort to me right now and he was also someone who will always believe me, no matter what the circumstances may be.



“I found Draco,” I confessed, my voice coming out much louder than I had anticipated.



Siri’s face went white and he visibly gulped, but he nodded and patted my arm. “Okay, why don’t you start from the beginning,” he suggested, grabbing my hand and sitting back against the couch.



I drew a deep breath and started talking. I told Siri everything that had happened since I last saw him. He just listened without interrupting, which made it much easier for me to get through the entire story. He sat there with his pale face and his brow furrowed with an expression of pure concentration. It made me feel better to know he was taking this situation so seriously and he’d figure out a way to make me feel better.



“Let’s go talk to Abby,” he said after I had finished.



“What?” I asked, my head snapping up. I had been lying back against the arm of the couch with the pillow curled against my chest as I had been speaking, but Siri’s solution made me change my position.



“You should tell Abby,” he repeated.



I shook my head and fell back down against the cushions. I didn’t want to deal with that awkward conversation.



“She needs to know her dad is okay, Lily,” he said, standing up.



“I “ I “ don’t…” I began, but he cut me off. His expression was similar to Dad’s when his mind was made up, of course I wasn’t going to tell Siri that, it would only make him feel more authoritative.



“Look, if it was our dad and someone knew where he was, wouldn’t you want to know?” he asked.



I briefly thought about pointing out that if Dad was missing I would most likely be the person to know where he could be found. Instead I sighed and nodded in defeat. “I’m just really tired now and you need to rest, Quidditch is tomorrow,” I said, sitting up.



For a moment, I thought I had convinced him to put off going to visit Abby until after the match. Then he suddenly shook his head and his face returned to that determined expression. “I’ll carry you to her office, that way you won’t have to waste your energy. You can hop on my back. As for Quidditch, I can beat Ravenclaw with my eyes closed. Any other excuses I have to counter?”



I shook my head and Siri crouched down in front of me, pulling my arms over his shoulders. I was careful not to choke him as I swung my legs around his waist. “Hang on then,” he advised before standing up.



He awkwardly climbed through the portrait hole with me on his back, the Fat Lady made no comment about our leaving or our appearance for which I was grateful. As we wandered through the corridors to Abby’s office I couldn’t help but smile and once again, feel at ease. I was eight years old again and we were running through the meadow near our house. My grip on Siri’s neck actually brought me a level of comfort I didn’t expect. I could almost hear Ced and Bry yelling for us to wait up, there was a hint of Mum’s cooking in the air and a nearly tangible excitement of being first to see Dad getting home from work. I felt lighter and I almost giggled…until Siri stopped outside Abby’s office door. He didn’t even ask if I was ready, he just knocked and didn’t put me down, which prevented me from bolting back to the Common Room and leaving him to explain the situation (an action I was contemplating).



The door flew open before Siri had even pulled his hand away. Abby’s face showed mild surprise but she let us in with a small smile. The fact that she didn’t ask right away what we were doing and instead just let us in led me to believe she already knew something was up.



“So, what brings two young Potters to my office?” she asked as she sat down. Her voice was low and scratchy rather than its usual smooth, silky tone. I also noticed her eyes were slightly red and puffy which meant she was probably crying before Siri and I knocked.



“I found your dad but I think you already know that,” I said without looking at her.



“Your mother sent me a quick note explaining the situation and promising to let me know when they get him back,” Abby replied, her voice shaking slightly.



The sadness in her tone caused me to look at her and instantly I knew that was a mistake. The resemblance between her and her father was undeniable. My breath caught in my throat, my ears popped and I heard the ragged breathing I had heard in that cellar. They both had the same hair, same face…same grim expression, it was too much. I closed my eyes in an attempt to push the face away.



“Lily,” Siri’s concerned voice called.



I opened my eyes and forced my heart to stop racing. I managed a small smile for both of their sakes and sat down next to my brother.



“Would either of you like some tea?” Abby offered.



Siri immediately accepted with a request for biscuits also and I nodded eventually, admitting that a warm cup of tea might settle my stomach a bit. As Abby prepared the beverages, Siri repeated what I had told him. Abby just kept a straight face, although she was placing the cups on the saucers rather loudly. She did sneak a few glances my way causing me to look at something else. I didn’t want to tell her what I had seen to avoid those same glances…she looked almost thirsty for more information and I didn’t want to be the one to explain the details.



“Here you go,” she said, setting cups in front of Siri and I.



I immediately grabbed mine and took a large sip to avoid having to speak. I only succeeded in burning my tongue. Abby just waited for me to set my cup down before she spoke. I expect it was Aunt Hermione who taught her that, Hermione is big on manners.



“Lily, I want you to know that regardless of how things may turn out tonight, I am extremely grateful for what you’ve done for my family,” Abby began.



I took another sip of my tea, causing my tongue to be quite unhappy. I did manage to avoid responding to her though, which was an accomplishment. Although, I was starting to feel rather odd…maybe I just drank my tea too quickly.



“I expect it wasn’t very enjoyable to see anyone in that situation, but I’m very thankful that you were brave and went directly to those who can help my father. I cannot began to understand how horrible things must have been for you these past few months, the stress and anxiety facing you must be quite frightening. Just know you can come to me if you ever need anything,” she offered.



I nodded to show I understood, but my head didn’t seem to be working as correctly as normal. My head felt heavier and voices were becoming muffled. Briefly, I considered if she had put some chocolate in the tea, but Siri didn’t seem to be concerned.



“I also want you to know that I am sorry,” she confessed.



My heart skipped a beat and I turned to look at Siri. He set his cup down and gave me a pitying look. “I’m sorry too, Lils,” he admitted.



“What are you sorry for?” I asked, finding speech difficult since my lips were so heavy. It was at that moment I realized that I made a mistake. Everything clicked too late and as the fight with keeping my eyes open was lost I was forced to admit that my brother and Abby had pulled a fast one on me.

***

I woke up to find the dorm quiet and empty, although articles of clothing were carelessly cast amongst the floor. I sat up and attempted to remember what had happened last night. I remembered my dream, getting Mum, telling Siri what had happened, Siri suggesting we go talk to Abby…



I suddenly remembered the events within Abby’s office and had to admit to myself I was grateful for her sneaking that potion into my tea. Last night was the first time I slept peacefully in as long as I can remember. I felt more awake that I had in months and I felt rather well too, considering the circumstances.



I still found it odd the dorm was empty and then a pit settled in my stomach…the Quidditch Cup! I was missing the biggest match of the year! Jumping out of bed, I threw on the closest red and gold items I could find as fast as possible. I sprinted out the door, through the empty Common Room and ran down the staircase at record speed. I could hear the roaring crown before I stepped outside and I had made it halfway to the stadium before the stitch in my side was too painful to ignore any longer. I stopped to catch my breath when I heard footsteps approaching.



Uncle Bill and Aunt Fleur were heading toward me…from the stadium. The pit in my stomach grew in size and a frown appeared on my face.



“Did I miss it?” I asked, panic rising in my voice. The boys would forgive me, undoubtedly Siri explained the situation to everyone at breakfast, but that didn’t mean I wanted to miss the match.



“Lily, we’ve been looking for you since breakfast. Abby just informed us that you visited her last night and she put a dreamless sleep potion in your tea, which explains your absence up until this point,” Uncle Bill said, his voice gruff.



“Why were you looking for me? I didn’t do anything wrong, Dumbledore told me to go to an Order member with any vision I had and that’s what I did,” I said, defensively.



“Lily dear, it’s alright. The Headmaster is actually looking for you, apparently you have a visitor of sorts that is waiting,” Aunt Fleur said, smiling.



“Oh, is that all? I’ll go see him after the match,” I said, attempting to walk around them.



Uncle Bill put a hand on my shoulder to prevent me from continuing on. “I’m afraid you will have to miss the match today, Lily. The business with the Headmaster is much more important,” he said, skeptically. His face showed mild surprise at the phrase that had just left his lips.



“More important than Quidditch ? This isn’t just any match, it’s for the Cup ! Please Uncle Bill, how will he even know I’m out of bed yet? The match must be close to being over too, can’t I just sneak in for the rest of it?” I begged, tugging on the sleeve of his robe.



Now, I may have portrayed my uncle to be a bit of a sour man, but that’s not entirely true. He’s just bitter sometimes, but I think Aunt Fleur staying by his side helps him. There are also few things he can deny any member of his family and Quidditch is one of those things. If Dad didn’t have time to take my brothers and me to a match we really wanted to go to, Uncle Bill would be the first one to offer to take us instead. He taught me loads about Quidditch and my love for the sport warms up his heart a bit, at least I like to think it does. I knew if I just begged the right way, he’d give in like always and sneak me into the pitch. Unfortunately, Aunt Fleur does not understand our family’s love (or obsession, as some call it) with Quidditch.



“Lily, I’m afraid not. It is very rude to keep a visitor waiting and I’m sure your mother would agree,” Fleur said, sternly.



“I highly doubt that,” Uncle Bill and I mumbled in unison.



“Regardless, head back to the castle straight away young lady. Perhaps your visitor will wish to come watch the match also,” Aunt Fleur suggested.



I grumbled something and turned around, my mind coming up with many ways to hex her beautiful hair into something horrid. Snakes are too unimaginative, maybe bowtruckles?



My trip back up to the castle took much longer than my trip to the stadium and my empty stomach decided to make itself known, constantly. Since I missed breakfast and lunch wouldn’t be served until after the match (which I was missing) I decided to take Dumbledore’s advice and visit the kitchens. Snape could wait the rest of his life for all I cared and I wasn’t about to torture myself and have to endure his presence on an empty stomach. As for this visitor, the person should have at least let me know they were coming, that is the polite way to visit people. Therefore, I didn’t feel guilty for making the mysterious person wait either.



I easily found the portrait Dumbledore had mentioned and tickled the pear like he had told me to do. I smiled as the fruit wiggled and stepped through the newly revealed opening. The sight I came upon was quite remarkable. Hundreds of house-elves were doing various takes around four long tables located in the exact same spots as our tables were in the Great Hall. House-elves were cooking loads of delicious smelling foods, cleaning piles of linens and towels, polishing piles of silverware and ironing and mending mounds of clothes. Once I was noticed, a large group of them all dropped what they were doing and rushed to me.



“Can wes help yous, Miss?” a squeaky voice asked.



I smiled kindly. “If you don’t mind, I’d like something to eat. I overslept and “ ” I didn’t even have time to finish speaking. They led me to one of the tables and I was instantly surrounded by eggs, bacon, toast, pumpkin juice and various sweets.



“Wow! Thank you!” I said to the room at large. They all bowed and went back about their business…all except one.



I always had trouble determining gender with house-elves but I was pretty sure this one was a male. He watched me with a guarded expression and every time I took a bite of something, our eyes met. It was quite distracting and annoying.



“You is a Potter,” he stated.



I didn’t reply since it was a statement, not a question. He kept watching me in silence for a while longer before he spoke again.



“I is knowing your father for a long time. I is knowing much about your father,” he said.



I snapped my head up and dropped my fork, remaining hunger forgotten. “Are you Kreacher?” I asked him.



He nodded. “Harry Potter is good man, he is. He gives Kreacher many things,” he said, caressing a golden chain around his neck.



I watched intently, trying to glimpse what lay at the end of the chain. “Did he give you that necklace?” I asked, kindly.



“It is Master Regulus’,” he answered.



“Who?”



“I cannot tells you. Harry Potter asked me not to tells you and I wills be honoring his request,” he said.



“My dad told you not to tell me about Regulus? Why would he do that? Am I connected to this Regulus?” I asked, my throat going dry.



Kreacher didn’t respond.



“Kreacher, you are a free elf so you don’t have to listen to what anyone tells you to do,” I pointed out.



Kreacher nodded. “This is true. But I be choosing to obey Harry Potter, he be not forcing me,”



I blew air out my nose, trying to think of another approach.



“Harry Potter be seeing much evil in his life and he be wishing not his children be seeing it too,” Kreacher explained.



“Evil? Kreacher, I know about his triumph over Voldemort. There’s no need for information to remain hidden,” I argued.



He started shaking his head so violently it startled me. “No, no, no! Harry Potter bes wise, Harry Potter be knowing the evil is still being here!”



“What evil, Kreacher?”



“There is works to be done, Miss. I must bes getting back to work,” he said, standing up.



“Kreacher, you served a family before you became free, right?” I asked, causing him to stop.



“Yes,” he answered without facing me.



“What family did you serve before the war?” I asked.



His eyes filled with tears. “The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black,” he answered softly before walking away



I hid my excitement as I thanked the house-elves for their service and exited the kitchen. Once alone in the corridor, a smile erupted across my face. In the beginning of the year, my family and I started searching for answers but have since hit dead end after dead end. We now had a new starting point. After my meeting with Snape and my mysterious visitor I was going to find out who Regulus Black was and how my dad knew him.

Chapter 20 - The Validating Visitor by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Hi All! Sorry it took so long to update but life is kind of hectic right now. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy and please leave a review letting me know what you think!
Ch. 20 “ The Validating Visitor

As I made my way to Snape’s office, a curiosity surrounding the identity of my ‘visitor’ began to surface. I figured it wouldn’t be Mum or Dad because then Bry and Siri would be coming with me too. Not to mention the appearance of either parent would not require missing a Quidditch match, much less the match to determine the Cup winner. In fact, Mum and Dad would probably ask to meet me after the match.

I ran through the list of other possibilities but came up with a counter argument for each one. No family or Order member would call unexpectedly, and if that were the case, I wouldn’t be the only one required to meet with them. I had few connections to people outside my close knit social circle, which I acknowledged I should work on. The possibility of Draco Malfoy calling so shortly after being found is unlikely too, since I assumed he was still at St. Mungo’s Hospital.

My feet carried me to my destination quickly despite my lack of attention. I briefly thought about Sarah and Mack cheering happily in the stands or visiting and celebrating with our housemates in the Common Room. It was so unfair, everyone around me has the opportunity to live a relatively normal life. Did Sarah have to miss the match? No! Does Mack have horrible nightmares that turn out to be real? Not a chance! Did the school think Siri was going mad? Absolutely not! All that is reserved for me.

“How long do you plan on brooding in my doorway, Miss Potter?” Snape asked, his voice causing me to focus on my surroundings.

“Sorry, sir,” I muttered as I passed through the door he held open for me.

As I entered the Office, a bald, black man stood up from the armchair he was sitting in and turned to face me.

“Kingsley!” I said, happily. I quickened my pace and was about to hug him when I heard a slight cough coming from the left.

“Hello, you must be Lillian Potter,” the strange woman said, using a voice my mum stopped speaking in when I was about five.

I cast Kingsley a questioning glance and he motioned for me to sit down beside him. The woman crossed the room and stood behind the empty chair on my other side. I watched in awe as she gave Snape a meaningful glare that caused him to stand up from his seat behind his desk, walk over to the empty chair and pull it out for the woman to sit down.

“Thank you, Severus,” she said, smiling widely.

She was rather short for a grown witch and her caramel colored hair was long and stringy which didn’t flatter her chubby, round face. All her features seemed crammed into her face resulting in them being too close together but her eyes stood out to me. They were hazel and gazed with a piercing coldness I could not ignore. They roamed over my face and made me feel cold all over. This Beatrice Simmons was not a nice woman.

I turned back to face Kingsley, hoping he would say something to ease my confusion. I cocked an eyebrow and he nodded his head toward the unknown woman.

“Lily, this is Beatrice Simmons for the Ministry. She works in the Department of Mysteries as a Validator,” he explained.

“A what?” I asked as a frown settled on my lips.

Beatrice giggled in a way that made me blush with embarrassment. It was true I knew a lot of Ministry employees and their duties, but I had never heard of a Validator. The Unspeakables were the only people I knew of that worked in the Department of Mysteries and the fact I was being laughed at for a valid question made me like this woman even less.

“I’m a Validator, dear. I just need to ask you a few questions about the possibility of you having visions lately,” she said, still using that annoying baby voice.

“Shouldn’t my parents be here for this or something? I’m underage and all,” I pointed out, glancing at Kingsley. His expression remained serious but his eyes twinkled in amusement.

Beatrice Simmons shifted uncomfortably in her seat and glanced at Snape. “Miss Potter, I have been assured by both of these individuals that the questions being asked will not violate any rights you have,” Snape said.

I still wasn’t convinced and I told them so.

“Lily, it will be just like those practice interrogations we used to do when you were younger, remember?” Kingsley asked.

I attempted to hide confusion as I tried to recall any ‘practice interrogations’ being done at some point. We never did any such thing and moments like this cause people to believe that the Potter children were all raised in some weird, over paranoid environment. The only time we did anything that semi-related to ‘practice interrogations’ was when Kingsley sat us all down to explain certain rules about being a member of the Order. Kingsley had said ‘Strength and safety in numbers, children. Our ways of silent communication have saved us more times than I can count!’ Then he proceeded to explain to us how experienced Order members would always manage to include themselves in any situation involving a less experienced member and there were two experienced members here now. And although I knew quite a few people employed by the Ministry, Dad had always told us to be on our guard around any unknown representatives. I didn’t know this woman and her appearance didn’t exactly shout friendly. We were all told when in doubt to be vague and there was some doubt surrounding the sudden appearance of this Simmons woman.

I looked up at Snape to find him watching me intensely. Was it possible this woman was untrustworthy? I definitely didn’t like her and the reason she is here surprised me a bit too. Maybe she wasn’t being completely honest with me about why she was here. Snape suddenly nodded in what Beatrice could think was encouragement but I took it as a confirmation. I fought the urge to smirk at my sudden realization and decided to have a little fun. This woman had not been exposed to a Potter child yet and I wanted to make the encounter quite…unforgettable.

“Well, okay then,” I said, hesitantly.

Beatrice beamed causing her hazel eyes to light up in an eerie way. “Fabulous! Now Lily, can I call you Lily?” she asked.

This time I was unable to hold back a smirk as I crossed my arms across my chest. “Can I call you Beatrice?” I responded, feigning a sweetness that caused Snape’s lips to tighten and Kingsley’s expression to falter briefly.

“I do not think that is proper, dear,” she said, her eyes becoming colder.

“Well, I would prefer it if you called me Miss Potter, Miss Simmons,” I requested.

“Very well, Miss Potter. Does anyone in your family possess the Sight?” she asked, watching me intently.

“We all do. I can see you can’t I?” I snapped.

Beatrice’s eyes widened briefly before her expression turned cold.

“Miss Potter, please take this matter a bit more seriously,” Snape requested.

“Yes, sir,” I mumbled.

“Miss Simmons, perhaps you should take into account that you are speaking with a First Year student who may not have knowledge of what the Sight is,” Snape suggested, his dark eyes suddenly alight with a twinkle I had never seen before.

“That is an excellent suggestion, Headmaster. Lily, the Sight I am referring to is different than normal sight. Some people in our world are born with a special gift and this gift allows them to know something is going to happen before the incident actually does. Do you have this special gift?” she asked, returning to her sickly sweet tone.

“My Mum says everyone is special in some way, so I guess that means I’m special too,” I responded, my brain working in ways I didn’t even know it was capable of.

“Of course you are, dear. I would like to know if you are special in the way that I just referred to though,” she explained.

“Maybe, I mean, I knew my cousin Kevin was going to be an Auror before he actually became one,” I admitted after a brief pause to ‘think’.

“Well, that is interesting, but it’s not quite what I mean. Have you ever had a dream about someone getting hurt or disappearing and that happens a few days later? Or maybe you dream about a location where things can be found?”

I immediately blocked off all thoughts completely and stared blankly back at her. The examples she had chosen made me suddenly uncomfortable. “I rarely remember my dreams,” I lied.

“Lily, do you understand the importance of Seer registration with the Ministry? We monitor any bloodlines with Seer properties rather heavily. Once a new Seer has been found, all dreams and visions are to be logged and analyzed as quickly as possible. This is vital for the survival of our world because often these visions contain important information,” she explained.

“Well, if you monitor the bloodlines so closely, why would you be asking me if there are any Seers in my family? Obviously you know the answer to that,” I pointed out.

“Lily, please mind your manners,” Kingsely whispered.

“It is not unheard of for a person to develop the ability of a Seer even though no one else in their family can claim the same. When this is the case, it is imperative that we, the Ministry, discover the individual and go through the proper registration and monitoring process. I would think, coming from a family of War Heroes, you would be aware of the necessity of helping wizard-kind,”

Kingsley shifted in his seat next to me and made a motion to Miss Simmons behind my back that I couldn’t see. I hoped it was a vulgar one that involved a certain solitary finger…and then he could possibly slap her in the face for an excellent finish.

“I apologize for my last comment, Miss Potter,” she said, her tone attempting to sound meek.

“You should,” I simply stated in return. “Besides, I have never experienced anything that could remotely be considered a vision, the Sight or any of that rubbish you’re referring to,” I told her with every ounce of conviction I could muster.

Beatrice’s eyes went wide with excitement and a smirk danced across her face. “Is that so? What about knowing the location of Draco Malfoy after his disappearance?” she asked.

“What?” I snapped back. I knew it wasn’t the best response but I needed time to think of something better to say.

“The Ministry monitors all Floo communications at Hogwarts to ensure students are not leaving the premises or allowing unapproved visitors into the castle. You Flooed your mother stating, and I quote, ‘Its Draco. He’s in the cellar of the Old Riddle House and he’s going to die soon if he doesn’t get help’ end quote. How did you come across this information?” she pressed, her voice eager.

“Well, Dad told us that Bellatrix Lestrange had escaped from Azkaban and she’s Draco’s aunt. So when I heard Draco was missing I figured Bellatrix abducted him and took him to the previous home of her deceased master’s family in some sort of retaliation,” I rattled out quickly, having no idea where the words had come from.

“Really? That sounds like quite a stretch to me. Are you telling me you didn’t See his location in a dream?”

“NO! I didn’t ‘See’ his location!” I said, heatedly.

She smirked again. “Your explanation is not sufficient to me. I’m sorry, Miss Potter but if you refuse to cooperated I will have to use other methods,” Beatrice threatened.

“Well, Miss Simmons, I’m sorry if the truth isn’t what you want it to be but that doesn’t prevent it from being the truth,” I snapped.

“There is no reason to be ashamed if you are really a Seer, that is unless you are hiding your gift because you plan to use it against the Ministry,” she replied through gritted teeth.

“Beatrice!” Kingsley warned.

I rolled my eyes and stood up. “Look, just because my friends and I were able to figure something out that a bunch of Ministry wizards were unable to doesn’t mean that some sort of…of…conspiracy is going on! I am not a Seer!” I shouted.

“Miss Potter, sit down and calm yourself,” Snape ordered from behind his desk.

I sat down and crossed my arms across my chest again. “I’m done talking to you until my parents are with me,” I said, stubbornly.

Beatrice towered over me now and it took every ounce of my strength not to cower and crawl onto Kingsley’s lap.

“This interview is over when I say it is! If you refuse to continue I’ll be forced to administer Veritaserum,” she cried, her face alight with madness.

“You will do no such thing to my daughter!” a voice boomed from the doorway.

All three of us turned to see my Dad crossing the room and I couldn’t help but breathe a sigh of relief. The surrounding portraits began whispering excitedly and even Dumbledore diverted from his sleeping pose. In that moment, I understood why my father was regarded so highly in our society. I could feel his power radiating around him and his green eyes were so bright, looking at them caused my own eyes to tear up. He was glaring at Beatrice with an amount of hatred greater than that of Snape, which was quite disturbing. She had the decency to return to her seat and look slightly ashamed of herself. Well, I wasn’t about to comfort her after what how she had acted toward me.

As soon as Dad reached us I jumped off my chair and hugged him tightly. I fought back tears of happiness as he scooped me up and wrapped his arms around me. I knew that no person could harm me now, I was safe…I was protected. Within the embrace of my father I was untouchable and I knew it.

“I’m telling you, as this girl’s father, that this highly illegal interview is over. Kingsley, Severus…how could you agree to such a thing?”

“I was assured that things wouldn’t get out of hand, Potter. Obviously the conversation took an unexpected turn and the situation got a bit out of control,” Snape drawled.

“Beatrice, perhaps it would be best if we left now. Nothing more can be discovered with both you and Miss Potter in such an agitated state. You go ahead while I attempt to calm Mr. Potter,” Kingsley suggested.

“I will be paying close attention to you, Miss Potter,” Beatrice promised.

“The Lily Potter Fan Club meets bi-monthly in the Great Hall. I’m sure you could pop in for an update or two,” I replied.

“Lillian,” Dad said in a warning tone. I wasn’t too worried though since I saw the smile tugging at his lips.

“Thank you for those parting words, Miss Simmons. Oh, and do tell the Minister I say hello,” Dad said, pointedly.

Beatrice Simmons pursed her lips before silently stalking out the door. As soon as the door shut behind her, Kingsley turned to face me.

“Lily, watch who you talk to about anything from now on. Don’t underestimate where she can get her information from because she most likely has sources in places you wouldn’t expect. And Harry, you may want to sit Lily down and go over the proper way to deal with Ministry officials,” he advised, a small smile escaping his lips.

I waved and flashed him a cheeky smile. “Mum already taught me, can’t you tell?”

Shaking his head, Kingsley walked out the door.

Dad set me down and smiled thinly. “How rude were you?” he asked.

I shrugged. “Not horribly,” I responded.

Snape arched an eyebrow and a cough came from one of the portraits on the wall. “You could have handled the situation much better, Miss Potter,” Snape pointed out.

“Why didn’t you speak up and tell me I was out of line then?” I asked.

Snape merely smirked and waved Dad and I out of his office.

“Where are we going?” I asked as Dad took my hand and led me down the staircase and through the corridors.

“We need to go find your brothers,” he said, simply.

“To find out the results of the match?” I asked, hopefully.

He nodded with a small smile. “Yes, and to explain to you exactly who Beatrice Simmons is and why she is not to be trusted,” Dad explained.

“I thought you didn’t want to burden us with information in order to…what was it? Preserve our innocence?”

Dad shook his head and fought back another smile. “Well, it’s becoming quite obvious that I need to share certain pieces of information with you and anything I choose to withhold you all will figure out on your own anyway,”

I smiled and squeezed his hand. “Doesn’t that make you a little proud?”

Dad stopped just short of the Entrance Hall and turned to pierce me with an intense look. “Lily, I am more than a little proud of my children, you all continue to amaze me every day, in ways that never cease to surprise me,”

My father suddenly disappeared as three boys tackled him to the ground.

“WE WON THE CUP!” I heard Siri’s voice call from the heap at my feet.

Bry stood next to me but his gaze was on the three boys pulling the older man up off the ground. “I see Dad decided to come by, how nice,” he observed with a straight face.

I laughed and nodded.

“Why is Uncle Harry here?” Molly asked, joining us. Apparently they were all returning from the Pitch. James, Jake and Siri were still in their Quidditch gear while Sarah and Mack were sporting their red and gold. Katy stood between Molly and Bry with a look of mild interest on her face.

Dad stood up smiling and hugged all the new arrivals. “I need to talk to you all, we need to go someplace secluded though,”

“Well, that cancels the Common Room,” Siri pointed out.

“Don’t worry. I know a great spot that will fit our needs perfectly on the seventh floor,” Dad replied. He immediately began walking back up the stairway we had just come from.

“Ugh, I don’t know how much more walking I can do today,” I complained.

I found myself on Siri’s back again before I had time to complete an eye roll.

“Cheer up, sis! We won the Cup and Dad’s back, how can you complain?” Siri asked, a big smile spread across his face.

I rested my head on the back of his shoulder. I knew that once Siri heard what Dad had to say, the excitement and brief happiness surrounding their victory will be gone.
**
Dad walked much faster than the rest of us and by the time we all caught up with him, he was holding open a door and ushering us inside. The room we entered resembled Dad’s study at home with the plush maroon carpet and mahogany walls. Between the bookcases that lined the walls were huge windows with sunlight streaming through them. Two large couches and numerous arm chairs were placed strategically around the room, most had side tables nearby with lamps or quills with ink pots placed on them. Dad rearranged the furniture with a flick of his wand so we would all have a place to sit. I chose a seat between Siri and Jake because that’s where Siri threw me.

“Don’t throw your sister onto the furniture, Sirius! How many times have I warned that she could get hurt?” Dad asked.

“She hasn’t yet though, has she?” Siri replied, sticking his armpit in my face.

“Eww! Dad, did you see that? He’s all stinky too!” I cried, scrunching my nose up in disgust.

Mack and Sarah giggled as they each sat in an armchair.

Dad rolled his eyes as Siri finally sat down, completing the haphazard circle. “Don’t put your sweaty appendages in your sister’s face, Siri,” Dad scolded.

Jake was leaning over the side of the couch laughing so I kicked his shin.

“Okay, that’s enough! I need you all to pay attention,” Dad said.

The boys were still too wound up from the match to heed my father, which annoyed me because I knew what we would be discussing. James was rapidly tapping his feet on the floor while Siri and Jake were engaging in a punch-you-punch-me game, which only paused briefly for Siri to flick my ear. Both Bry and Katy had pulled books from the shelves and Sarah and Mack were giggling about something.

“Siri…Sirius, stop it! Brian and Katy put your books down, James please stop tapping your feet it’s driving me mad!” Dad begged.

“Sirius James and Jacob Charles you both stop hitting each other this minute! James Remus, you halt that tapping! Brian Albus and Katherine Margaret put your books down! Sarah Rose you stop talking and listen to your Uncle this instant!” a voice cried.

Aunt Hermione walked across the now silent room, gave Dad a small smile and then sat down on the couch between Katy and Bry.

“I need to discuss something serious with you so please pay attention. Now, as you all know, Lily has helped us locate and save Draco,” Dad began.

A few shocked gasps interrupted him but any questions were silenced by his glare.

“As fortunate as we are that he has been found, this discovery has come at a bit of a price. It will now be harder for Lily’s talent to remain secret and it is very important that no one outside our family and the Order know about her ability. So, from now on, none of you are to talk about anything relating to any dreams or visions Lily has had or will have unless you are absolutely sure you are alone, do you understand?”

We all nodded solemnly.

Dad nodded in approval. “Now I know you all need to start preparing for you end of year exams…”

“Start?” Hermione asked in a disbelieving tone.

“But I’d like to spend part of today offering up some information you have all been curious about. Am I correct in assuming this will be a fair trade?” Dad asked.

“Abso-bloody-lutely!” Siri cried as we all nodded.

“Good. I’m going to start at the beginning and give you a brief overview. Don’t try to understand everything, just pay attention to the names and…well, we’ll get to the ‘and’ later,” Dad said.
Chapter 21 - Let Me Tell a Story by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Here's the next chapter. Sorry about the wait. Let me know what you think!
Ch. 21 “ Let Me Tell You A Story

The extremely energetic group around me was suddenly quiet and attentive. We all watched my father intensely, our curiosity blinding us to the possibility of the information we were about to receive would be horrible. The bottom line was we had finally done enough snooping to get some real answers.

Dad sighed and settled back in his chair. “You all are old enough to know that not all wizards use their abilities for good. Voldemort was a wizard who used his power to an extent of evil that was…beyond vicious. He believed that only pure-blood witches and wizards were worthy of existing and took it upon himself to rid the world of lesser beings,” he began.

“We already know all of this,” Siri said, an edge of annoyance in his voice.

“I know, but it is important to be reminded for the purpose of what I’m going to tell you. Professor Binns told you that Voldemort’s ultimate goal was to rid the world of all Muggles and Muggle-born witches and wizards, this is not the truth. Voldemort’s ultimate goal was to become immortal and he attempted to achieve immortality by using a level of Dark Magic that few even knew existed,” he paused to draw a deep breath. “Voldemort decided to split his soul seven ways and use objects to hold each piece. These objects are called Horcruxes and they are very hard to defeat since they often have defenses against destruction,”

“He split his soul?” I asked. I didn’t understand why anyone would do such a thing. The idea of desiring one’s soul to be anything but complete didn’t seem right to me.

“Yes, by killing people,” Dad stated simply.

I didn’t realize I was shaking until Siri grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I looked at everyone else in the room with their pale faces and frightened look in their eyes. It seemed odd to be in the presence of my father and feeling so vulnerable. Hermione looked torn between comforting all of us and interrupting Dad to go into greater detail.

“So, in order to kill Voldemort all of his Horcruxes had to be destroyed prior to attacking him. Ron, Hermione and I spent our seventh year not here but roaming the country in search of these items,”

“But Dad, how did you know what you were looking for? There are hundreds of objects that have magical capabilities,” Bry pointed out.

Dad nodded and shared a small smile with Hermione. “I spent my sixth year getting private lessons from Dumbledore and he gave me a list of items he suspected Voldemort had used. When it came to tracking Voldemort and interpreting his next move, Dumbledore had an uncanny knack for being right. After he died…”

“Murdered by Snape you mean!” I cut in.

Dad threw his head in his hands. “Oh Lily, it’s not as simple as all that,” he said, his voice sounding tired.

“Lily, Snape didn’t murder Dumbledore in cold blood. Dumbledore had been infected by a Dark Curse and there was nothing that could be done to cure it. He had asked Snape to kill him,” Hermione explained.

“What? Why would he do that?” Jake asked in disbelief.

“I’ll get to that next. What I originally had been trying to say is that after Dumbledore died, we had a list of items to track down and destroy. Once we accomplished that task, Voldemort could be defeated as any other human. At the Battle of Hogwarts we all fought and ended up triumphing over Voldemort once and for all,”

“So what’s the deal with Dumbledore’s death than?” Sarah asked.

“Oh Sarah, that part is so complicated. In all honesty, I don’t even know where to begin,” Dad said with a sigh.

Hermione patted Dad’s knee in comfort. “I’ll try and you jump in when you feel like it, okay?” she asked. Dad nodded in agreement and Hermione turned her attention pack to us.

“It all started back when Harry’s parents were kids. You see, James Potter was a pure-blood but Lily’s family was full of Muggles before she came along, much like me. Before Lily went to Hogwarts she befriended another young wizard by the name of Severus Snape,”

“WHAT?” we all cried.

Hermione nodded. “Severus spent time explaining to Lily how things work in the magical world, he sort of briefed her on what to expect when she went to Hogwarts. When they finally went to Hogwarts, Lily was sorted into Gryffindor while Severus was sorted into Slytherin. The two friends eventually drifted apart but Severus never stopped loving her,”

Dad’s face was paler now but he cleared his throat to signal that he was ready to speak. “One night Dumbledore went to a pub to interview a Seer to for the post of Divination Professor at Hogwarts. While he was interviewing her, this Seer foretold of the one who would eventually conquer Voldemort and end his reign of terror. Snape had been standing outside the door and heard the prophecy so he immediately went to Voldemort to share his discovery. Voldemort believed the prophecy to be referring to me so a plan to kill my family was set into motion. Snape couldn’t convince Voldemort to spare my mother’s life so he arranged to meet with Dumbledore and begged him to protect her. As everyone knows that didn’t work and Voldemort managed to kill my parents anyway. Snape had been devastated and Dumbledore convinced him to aid in protecting me once Voldemort returned,”

“What the hell? I don’t get it,” Siri said.

“The Headmaster agreed to help protect Uncle Harry because he would still be protecting Lily in some way, right?” Katy said.

Hermione nodded. “Although you grew up hearing how much Harry looks like his father, his nature is more like his mother,” she said.

“And I have her eyes too, the same eyes that you have Lily,” Dad said with a small smile.
“Anyway, Snape never renounced his allegiance to Voldemort which allowed him to continue spying on the Dark Side once Voldemort returned.”

“This was vital to the survival and success of the Order. Severus was able to let everyone know what Voldemort was planning or what his goals were. This made our job much easier because it eliminated any incorrect theories that had been constructed,” Hermione said in her teaching tone.

“But Uncle Harry, how was Voldemort able to come back after he died at Godric’s Hollow?” Molly asked.

“Weren’t you listening to Uncle Harry? Voldemort made those Horcrux things so he’d never die,” Sarah snapped.

“I was listening, prat! I’m just asking how those Horcrux things can bring a person back! Professor Binns told us that Voldemort disappeared after Godric’s Hollow, did you miss that fact in lessons?” Molly hissed.

“So he disappeared. All that means is no one saw him for a long time,” Mack cut in.

“Didn’t you read about a potion or something that brought him back to human form Lily?” James asked.

“I nearly forgot about that! I did read something like that when I was doing some background reading on Voldemort’s reign,” I said, thoughtfully.

“Voldemort was sort of a ghost after he failed to kill Harry that night,” Hermione explained. “He was weak and powerless for a very long time. Eventually, he stumbled upon one of his followers and that person helped Voldemort acquire enough strength to return to human form,” she finished, casting Dad a look.

An image of the graveyard that haunted my dreams flashed in my mind. I pierced Dad with a knowing look and he simply nodded at me.

“I have a question,” Katy announced.

Dad turned his gaze away from me and focused on Katy instead. “Yes, Katy?”

“Well, I would like to know who was feeding Voldemort information during the First War,” she said.

“Who was the rat?” Siri added.

“Why what makes you think there was one to begin with?” Dad responded, his green eyes twinkling with amusement.

“Well, Voldemort somehow knew where countless secret Order meetings were being held,” Jake said.

“And there was the fact that Gran and Grandad Potter went into hiding. Their location was only known to one person, a Secret-Keeper,” Bry continued.

“What? How did you come up with that idea?” Hermione asked, clearly astonished.

“Actually it was me. I was in the Headmaster’s Office a while back and I had a nice chat with Dumbledore before Snape came in,” Siri said, a big smile spread on his face.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked. I was hurt I hadn’t been included in such a huge discovery.

“What are you talking about? That was the only topic of conversation for at least a week. Were you not paying attention?” Siri accused.

“Can we focus on the more important part of this conversation and let Uncle Harry tell us who betrayed his parents?” Sarah asked.

“A man by the name of Peter Pettigrew and there is no need to worry about him any longer. He died in the Final Battle,” Hermione said quickly, preventing Dad from answering. He looked as if he had a few more words to add to that description.

“I would like to know why you have suddenly decided to share the information we’ve been asking for all year,” James said.

I watched Dad shift in his seat and cast Hermione a pointed look. Once again I was awed by the bond they shared. If I would ever be able to develop that form of communicating with someone I’d feel truly fortunate. Hermione nodded in response to my dad and pierced me with a look.

“Lily, the things you are seeing and the subtle movements of some dodgy people are quite unnerving. War is one of the things that leave lasting damage on both the environment and the people who fought. Books will speak of a winner and a loser but in reality, everyone involved loses something whether it be their life or their innocence. The reality of the situation is that even though Voldemort is gone, along with many devoted followers, his mindset and beliefs are not. Saiph is a major problem for us and she is becoming more active as time progresses,” she explained.

“We’re pretty sure that Bellatrix and Saiph have met up by now but we do not know what their plans are,” Dad continued.

“Wait, wait, wait. What makes you so sure that Bellatrix and Saiph are going to work well together?” Katy asked.

A feeling of dread appeared out of nowhere and settled in my stomach. The sudden onset must have shown on my face because Siri was watching me with concern. I didn’t know why I suddenly felt so heavy, it wasn’t an oncoming vision…it was more like knowing that something huge was going to be revealed, something that I possibly have known for quite awhile but was never aware of it.

Dad cleared his throat nervously. “We aren’t quite sure, Katy. We are absolutely positive. Saiph is Bellatrix’s daughter,” he admitted.

The room closed in on me suddenly and I gripped Siri’s hand so tightly he actually winced. “What?” he hissed.

“I don’t know, I’m just frightened!” I replied defensively.

“It’s going to be okay. There are many people observing their actions so we know where they are,” Hermione reassured.

“You just don’t know what they are planning to do is all,” Jake muttered.

“How does Beatrice Simmons fit into all of this?” I asked, remembering what Dad had said about her earlier.

“We aren’t exactly sure. Kingsley told me that she moved to London recently from France. Apparently her family fled right around the time Voldemort fell. It just makes us suspicious about her associations, not to mention her first order of business is to heavily monitor Hogwarts,” Dad explained.

“So what do we do now?” Sarah asked. I saw she was gripping Mack’s hand rather tightly too.

“You prepare for your exams, obviously. We thought explaining certain things would keep you from snooping. You all need to be careful at all times, even when you are here. Even the safest places can harbor danger, keep that in mind,” Hermione said, taking a moment to pierce each of us with a look.

“Does anyone else feel like their head is about to explode?” Siri asked, releasing my hand and rubbing his temples.

We all nodded. Dad and Hermione both smiled in understanding. “It is a lot to take in isn’t it? Maybe now you’ll understand why we didn’t want to tell you all of this,” Dad said.

“I feel different,” Sarah mumbled.

I nodded in agreement. I knew how she felt because I was feeling the same way. This year had made me grow up really quickly and now, well, now I was on the verge of paranoid. It felt like the world as I had previously known it had shattered. Now I wasn’t sure what to believe is safe or right or normal…a sudden desire to have Mum stroke my hair and tell me everything was fine overwhelmed me.

“Is Mum coming by anytime soon?” I asked in what I hoped was a nonchalant way.

“No, I don’t think so, honey. Your mother has been very busy at work lately,” Dad said, standing up.

“I need to go lay down or something. I want to really think about what you told us, Dad,” Bry said. He stood up and gave my dad a quick hug before walking out of the room.

Siri shrugged his shoulders. “Dad, how did Dumbledore get cursed?” he asked suddenly.

Dad winced. “He, um, he tried to break a Horcrux incorrectly. The object sort of backfired and cursed him instead,” he answered.

Siri nodded and patted my hand before standing up. “I have an essay to finish for Uncle Bill, so I’ll see you later,” he said.

“Don’t forget to study for your quiz tomorrow!” Aunt Hermione called to Siri’s exiting back.

I felt a headache approaching as a result of the heap of information and my morning activities. Sarah, Mack and Molly wordlessly stood up and hugged both Hermione and my dad before leaving. All three wore similar expressions of confusion and shock and I was surprised to see how much older they appeared. Jake managed to flash a small smile at everyone before hurrying after the girls.

“Uncle Harry, um…do Bellatrix or Saiph know about Lily?” James asked, causing me to hold my breath.

Dad looked confused. “Of course they both know about her. All the Potter children’s births were heavily covered by the press and their names occasionally pop up somewhere,” Dad replied.

James shook his head. “No, I wasn’t talking about knowing about her existence. I mean do they know about her…visions and whatnot,” he clarified.

I watched Hermione’s face resume its usual pensive expression but Dad shook his head. “I don’t think so. There hasn’t been anything in any of the papers so no one really knows about it,”

That brought me little comfort as the Order had people in control of most media outlets and those people tended to make sure nothing important leaked out to the public. Just because it didn’t make headline news didn’t mean someone out there hadn’t told Bellatrix about my ‘talent’.

“If no one knows about it then why did someone from the Ministry come here to ask me if I’m a Seer?” I asked, not realizing how frightened I sounded.

Dad didn’t reply but he looked pointedly at Hermione. She nodded and then took James by the hand and led him out the door.

“Wait! Where are we going?” I heard James ask right before the door closed.

“Lily, I’m going to be staying here all until the end of the year. I want you to come to me if anything, and I mean anything happens that makes you feel even a little odd, okay?” he asked.

I nodded, feeling slightly safer since I knew Dad would be around. A tingling sensation in my stomach caused me to suddenly speak. “She knows, doesn’t she?” I stated, leaving little doubt in my statement.

Dad hesitated briefly. “I think Bellatrix is trying to pick up where Voldemort left off and that means she’s gathering followers in all the right places, including Hogwarts. She probably realized that keeping up with the rumors at Hogwarts will help more than hurt her and it wouldn’t surprise me if she was in direct contact with some of the students here. It’s possible that someone wrote home and mentioned what was happening with you or a student may have told Bellatrix directly,” Dad admitted.

“So Hogwarts isn’t really safe anymore,” I said.

Dad sighed. “I realized something far too late in my younger years so I’m going to prevent that from happening to you too. Hogwarts is merely as safe as the people within allow it to be,” he replied, a look of sadness on his face.

“Which means we all have to watch who we talk to and stay in the Common Room at night,” I mumbled.

Dad nodded. “Be the smart Potter you are, Lily. Don’t ever try to take care of something yourself and always, always make sure you think before reacting to anything…especially things you see in your visions. Promise me you will do that, please,” he asked, his voice containing a pleading tone I haven’t heard before.

“Sure, Dad,” I replied with a nod.

He nodded and grabbed my hand to take me back to the Common Room. It wasn’t until I was lying in bed that I allowed my fear to fully consume me. I understood now why information had been kept from all of us. I was frightened and confused but there wasn’t anything I could do to ease either of those emotions. I felt as if a weight had settled on me again. Not only were we in danger but I knew my visions were going to continue to escalate now that I had a more complete idea of what was happening. Bellatrix or Saiph had ties to Miss Simmons and had sent her to get information out of me, I was sure of that. Those evil women knew I was hiding something and were probably watching me to figure out what I know. I was worried they would do something drastic and that I would have to bear through more than just seeing it, I would be helpless to prevent it.
Chapter 22 - Spy Trouble by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Lily has another encounter with Rebecca Abernathy and a chat with her father.

Sorry it took so long to update. I hope you all enjoy.
Ch. 22 “ Spy Trouble

“I can’t believe we have final exams to worry about on top of everything else,” Sarah complained as we made our way to breakfast.

I simply nodded in reply. I was having trouble wrapping my mind around how drastically my life had changed in the span of one year.

“It’s only going to get worse, Lily. All of our lives are going to be continuously changing over the next few years,” Mack pointed out, causing me to realize I had spoken out loud.

“Well you’re just a little ray of sunshine this morning aren’t you?” Sarah mumbled as we sat down at the Gryffindor table.

“It sounds like three girls woke up on the wrong side of their beds,” Jake observed in an annoying, sing-song voice.

“You seem to be doing well though. It seems nothing about yesterday is hanging over your head,” Mack replied, raising an eyebrow.

“Let me share my optimistic view of our situation with you,” Jake began.

I, however, was not in the mood for Jake’s optimistic speech or my lemon poppy seed muffin. I solved both of my irritations by shoving the muffin into Jake’s open mouth.

“Nice one, Lily!” Sarah said with an appreciative smile.

“Should we work on our Potions essay after dinner tonight?” Mack suggested, her voice slightly louder in order to be heard over Jake’s coughing.

As Sarah and Mack made our study arrangements for the evening, I turned my attention to the end of the table. Siri and Natalie were laughing and sitting very close together, which only worsened my mood. Siri and I weren’t fighting anymore, we’d moved onto a worse stage instead; no interaction at all. He spent all of his time with Natalie now and it hurt to admit to myself that I had been replaced.

“Are you working on your nonverbal hexes?” James asked as he nudged my arm.

I blushed in embarrassment. “No, I wouldn’t do something like that with Dad and Siri around,” I admitted.

“I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t do anything to Natalie at all. A nonverbal hex simply because she’s taking up all of Siri’s attention wouldn’t be a very Potter thing to do,” he pointed out.

I stabbed my eggs in annoyance. “Well, being a transcender isn’t a very Potter thing either, but that doesn’t keep me from being one. I just don’t like her, James. I don’t know why but she just doesn’t sit right with me,” I mumbled.

“She’s a good person, Lily,” he said.

“I better get to class, I’ll see you later,” I whispered.
***
My day did not get any better and after angering Sarah and Mack for what felt like the millionth time, I walked down to dinner alone. With the stress of final exams, Bellatrix and her clan of loonies causing havoc and, oh of course, the whole war prevention aspect of my transcender status constantly present in my mind, I was becoming quite moody.

As I reached the Great Hall, I changed my mind about dinner. I didn’t feel hungry to being with and the idea of getting into another argument with my friends wasn’t appealing. I turned around and headed back to the Common Room, deciding that a little extra studying would be more beneficial.

It was at the top of the staircase that I saw her and her fat little friend. They were both blocking my path and smirking at me. I exhaled through my nose and glared at both of them as I approached.

“Look Rita, we’ve found Loony Lily Potter. When did they let you out of your cage?” Rebecca Abernathy taunted.

“Oh, I guess it was about an hour ago. It’s a new law with Wizard Welfare, I’m entitled to my exercise,” I replied, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

Rebecca smirked again. “Well, I know something you don’t know,” she said in a sing-song voice.

“Okay, well, you have fun with that,” I said, trying to pass by both of them.

The fat girl called Rita shoved me back in front of Rebecca. “Stay,” she grunted.

“Nice to see you surround yourself with quality people, Abernathy. This one quite obviously has quite a large and intelligent vocabulary” I scowled, stepping back to avoid falling over.

“Whatever, Loony Lily, I have something to tell you,” she said, a smirk reappearing on her face.

This whole conversation was beginning to bore me. I was contemplating whether to slap her or use a more close fisted method to quiet her. Then I would run of course.

“She knows about you,” Rebecca hissed.

That simple statement caused my stomach to drop, chills to run down my spine and the familiar panic breathing to which I had grown accustomed, to commence.

“Who?” I asked, my voice rising slightly.

“Does it really matter which ‘she’ it is that I’m referring to?” Rebecca asked, a knowing smile pasted on her face.

I cleared my throat to give me a moment to think of a response. “Obviously it matters since I have no idea who you are talking about,” I replied in a voice of forced calm.

Rebecca’s smile grew larger while Rita continued to leer at me. The occupants of the surrounding portraits were watching us intently now, none of them making any noise. This observation only agitated me further because the whole school will know about this conversation in less than an hour.

“That’s fine, Potter. I’ll play stupid to make this easy for you. ‘She’ knows all about you. See, someone close to you has a loose tongue. Oh, how I love blind trust, it’s such a Gryffindor trait. You and all your friends have too much trust in people you shouldn’t be trusting,” she explained.

“And you’re telling me this because you want to help me?” I asked, failing to hide my disbelief.

“Of course not, Lily! I’m telling you this it will be oh-so-entertaining to watch your little clan self destruct. That alone will be worth letting this information slip. I love watching chaos emerge; it’s sort of like a hobby of mine. Besides, the damage has already been done,” she said, laughing.

I took a step closer to bring myself almost nose to nose with Rebecca Abernathy. I took every ounce of anger and frustration I’ve been harboring and poured it into the meanest look I could form.

“For your information, Abernathy, the Dark side has yet to destroy my family and I’m not about to let that fact change. You think the damage has already been done? Just wait, I haven’t even begun to demonstrate the destruction I am capable of,” I hissed.

At the sight of fear flickering in her eyes, I smiled in triumph.

“Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like to get by,” I finished.

Rita and Rebecca stepped to the side and let me pass. I was turning onto the next staircase when I heard Rita grunt something.

“Don’t worry Rita, she isn’t even capable of sleeping through the whole night. Lily Potter can’t destroy anything,” Rebecca replied.

I smirked. Just you wait I thought. I knew that there was little I could do right now but I also knew loads of people who could do many things. With a nod to myself I took one of the tapestry shortcuts Siri had shown me earlier in the year. I was going to do something the right way for the first time; I was going to talk to my Dad.
***
My Dad leaned back in his chair, a thoughtful expression on his face. I had just repeated my conversation with Rebecca Abernathy and Rita. After several minutes of silence, my anxiety peaked.

“So?” I prompted.

“Well, I’m glad you came and told me about this right away. Obviously I need to have quite the chat with Miss Abernathy. Perhaps she can tell me who the source of information is so we can put a stop to them,” he said, pouring us some tea.

“I would hope so, Dad. When you talk to her you better tell her that the next time she stops to talk to me, I’m just going to hex her and keep walking. If I’m feeling rather irritated I may just punch her instead,” I told him, ignoring my tea.

“Now Lily, I thought you were going to work on your tendency to act first and think later?” he asked, playfully shaking his finger at me.

“I’m beginning to think I should work on eliminating other personality flaws instead,” I answered with a smile.

“You are your mother’s daughter, dear so that means you have no flaws,” he complimented.

“I’ll be sure to pass that on, Dad,” I said with a laugh. We spent the next few minutes drinking our tea in silence. I had a lot on my mind and I think Dad knew I just wanted some time to think. Finally, I placed my empty mug down on the table and locked eyes with him. “Does the fact that someone told Bellatrix and Saiph about my talent bother you?”

“I’m very concerned about that, Lily, I really am. Spies cause problems that are difficult to predict and handle; problems that can cause deaths. I’ve seen the damage one person with poor loyalty can do and it often is the last person you suspect. Who do you think it could be?” he asked.

I nodded. I knew exactly who had been sharing secrets and who he had been sharing them with.

“It’s Siri, Dad. He’s been telling Natalie every single thing I’ve told him! I told him not to keep telling his little girlfriend every little detail but he acted like I was mad! He claims that since her parents went to school with you and Mum, she’s completely trustworthy!” I said.

I was shocked when my father’s reaction was a slight chuckle at my revelation. He noticed my disbelief and quickly wiped the small smile from his face, but my eyes must have exposed the hurt I felt.

Dad poked at the tip of my nose to make me smile slightly. “I will talk to Miss Thomas and Siri if you really think either of them could be guilty of sharing information with untrustworthy people, Lily. I just want you to be sure you are accusing people based on actual facts and not your own jealousy,” he said.

“Why would I be jealous?” I scoffed.

Dad’s face broke into a knowing smile which briefly reminded me of Dumbledore. I found the similarity quite annoying and met his look with a scowl capable of my dear Mum.

“Lily, you have been Siri’s favorite person since you were two years of age. Up until now, none of his friends could ever distract him from you in any way. Natalie is different though, isn’t she? Siri spends all his time with her, he tells her things he used to tell only you and she is his main focus now, not you,” he explained.

I felt my eyes burn but I refused to cry. I knew the day would come when Siri would get a girlfriend. I knew I couldn’t be his center of attention forever, but that wasn’t the issue here. Siri’s a big brother, and he wasn’t acting like a very good one.

“Dad, this year has been horrible for me. I didn’t even want to come here in the first place but you and Mum said you wouldn’t hire tutors for me. And now my life has turned upside down and most everyone thinks I’m off my rocker. Siri is my brother, he’s my big brother. He’s supposed to be helping me deal with this madness! Instead, he spends all his time with that girl and leaves me to cope all by myself. How is that right? How is he protecting me by doing that?” I asked, anger evident in my tone.

Dad was silent for a moment, his eyebrows furrowed and his green eyes thoughtful. “How about you let me protect you and help you cope? I’m your father, Lily, that’s kind of what my job is you know. I like to think we have a pretty open relationship so that means you should be able to come talk to me about anything,” he told me, rising from his seat and coming to embrace me.

“I know, Dad. That doesn’t mean I don’t miss my big brother though,” I mumbled into his shoulder.

“Well, I’ll talk to both of them and let you know afterwards what was said. Does that sound all right?” he asked, releasing me from our hug.

I nodded and sat back down. I felt so dependent on everyone around me for the simplest things. For Merlin’s sake, I was having my dad talk to my big brother for me, like I wasn’t able to have a simple conversation with a person I’ve known my entire life. Why is doing the mature thing feel so…wimpy?

Desperate to change my frame of mind, I grasped onto an unsettled subject. “So, what should we do about this spy thing until we know who we’re dealing with?” I asked.

Dad began pacing in front of me. His strides were long and slow, he wasn’t frantic, just deep in thought. I sunk deeper into the chair and waited for his response. He used to do this at home all the time when he had been an Auror. Mum always said he did his best thinking on his feet and then when he started his pacing thing, she told him not to take everything she says so literally. I still remember the way the two of them had smiled at each other when she said that. It was a secret smile and it made me wonder what was so funny and why they wouldn’t tell us.

Dad clapped his hands, causing me to sit up straight and focus on the present situation. “From now on after any dreams or visions or anything, you come to me. And when I say come to me, Lily, I mean come only to me. Don’t tell anyone else about anything. Final exams aren’t far off and I think eliminating the number of people aware of certain things will make the situation easier to manage. Once we get home, we’ll think of something better to do until we figure out who or what we are dealing with here,” he suggested.

“Okay, but I think people are going to notice that I’m not talking about any dreams anymore. And what if something happens during classes or mealtimes?” I countered.

“Well, you seem to always know when these visions are about to manifest, so if you get that feeling while you’re around people, try to go somewhere away from everyone. Try making it to my office or your room, go anywhere isolated. As far as people noticing your lack of dreams, I honestly don’t know if they will, Lily. You all should be studying non-stop and that will take up most of your time and energy. If anyone starts getting suspicious or angry, I’ll talk to them,” he said, nodding his head as if he was convincing himself this would be the right course of action.

“So, your solution is to purposefully isolate myself from everyone around me?” I asked.

“I know it sounds awful, but I don’t know what else to suggest right now. This won’t be the solution for an extended amount of time, just until we get home. I will notify the Order about this and we’ll spend all summer trying to track the person down,” he assured me.

I sighed because I didn’t have any other solutions to offer him either. We both gazed into space silently for a few moments before I stood up and gave an affirmative nod. Dad smiled and gave me a hug before I left to make my way back to the Common Room. The farther away from Dad I got, the more I assured myself that this was the right thing to do. I have become quite used to isolation lately anyway, how bad would it be for me to bear a little more? Besides, if Dad was getting the Order involved, this problem would probably be solved in no time. Someone would discover the spy’s identity, how the knowledge was received, who everything was being reported to and then take care of the problem. This whole thing would probably be nothing more than a memory next month.

Unfortunately, at the exact moment that final thought ran through my mind, my stomach did that odd twisty thing. As I whispered the password to the Fat Lady, I exhaled deeply and crossed my fingers. I truly wanted my gut feeling to be wrong, not just wrong but way off the mark. However, I have quickly discovered that my ‘talent’ wasn’t ever wrong, at least it hadn’t been yet, and if we didn’t get to the bottom of this soon, the road ahead could get pretty messy.
Chapter 23 - Demons by hopelesslyhopeful
Ch. 23 Demons

It has been two days since that conversation in my Dad’s office and I still haven’t heard anything. Mum sent a letter telling me she was so proud of me and this summer we’d spend loads of time talking about anything and everything I wanted. I began looking forward to spending time with her, mostly because I missed her, but also because I was already lonely. And it has only been two days.

“It’s your turn to take notes in History of Magic today, Lily,” Sarah reminded me at breakfast.

“Fine, but I haven’t been paying attention at all this term,” I admitted, blushing slightly.

“Well, you’ll have to pay attention today. I need to finish writing my Defense essay so I have more time to study for our Charms exam tonight. So I can’t help you, Lily,” Mack snapped.

“Relax, Mack. I’ll pay attention,” I mumbled, standing up and grabbing my book bag.

“I can’t relax, Lily. We have final exams next week and just because all of this stuff is second nature to you doesn’t mean it’s easy for me,” Mack retorted, following me out of the Great Hall.

I took a deep breath and stopped walking. “Mack, if you need help you can ask for it. Any of us would gladly study with you,” I assured her.

“It will help if you start realizing life doesn’t revolve around you and your issues, Lily! Maybe you should start paying attention to what’s going on around you and stay out of your own head for a day!” she said before stomping away.

“Where’s Mack going?” Sarah asked, just catching up to me.

“I don’t know but something is off with her. She’s angry with me for some reason. Am I too wrapped up in myself?” I asked as we made our way to class.

Sarah stopped and pulled me behind a tapestry. “Look Lily, when was the last time you had a conversation with someone where the topic wasn’t about you? Do you realize that you haven’t asked any of us how we’re doing? Everything has been about you this year! If Mack said something to you, it just means she’s tired of dealing with it. Friendship is supposed to be about more than one person, isn’t it? I haven’t said anything because I didn’t want to be the first one to bring it up, but I’m pretty tired of it too,” she said.

“I’m sorry,” I said, my words coming out more uncertain than I had intended.

“You should be. We’re being affected by all this madness too but it seems like you don’t even care! Every incident we witness or have to hear about frightens us, but you don’t even seem to notice!”

“Well I’m sorry that the things going on in my life are affecting you so badly, Sarah. Have you ever stopped to wonder how awful this is for me? I’m the one experiencing horrible dreams and being forced to carry this huge burden around! All you have to do is listen to me talk about it! I would gladly trade places with you! Listening is much easier than seeing and hearing this stuff first hand!” I yelled.

Sarah just shook her head. “You are proving my point right now more than I ever will be able to. I’m going to class now and I’ll take my own notes today,” she said, walking past me.

Anger began filling me as I watched her blonde head still shaking even as she rounded a corner. What right do they have for complaining? How dare I be accused of selfishness just because of what’s happening to me! Fine then, if I’m so wrapped up in myself than why should I even attempt to talk to them? If they are so angry with me, I’ll just save them the trouble and stop hanging around. I’m sure they’d prefer that anyway.

So, with a nod, I held my head high and walked to class and ignored my former friends the entire time.
**
“Today we’ll be reviewing the information we covered regarding Voldemort’s followers, commonly know as Death Eaters. Some of the well-known elite members were Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange, Yaxley and Avery. These people formed most of Voldemort’s inner circle. You should all be able to recall the part Yaxley played in Voldemort’s 1997 Ministry takeover and be prepared to describe the incident in detail.

“Bellatrix Lestrange was probably the most well-known Death Eater. Keep in mind that Bellatrix and her husband, Rodolphus received life sentences in Azkaban for torturing two Aurors. Be prepared to explain how the two managed to rejoin Voldemort’s forces during the Second War.

“Lucius Malfoy was quite accomplished at avoiding prosecution for any crimes for a long time. In fact, it wasn’t until the Second War that it became undeniable that the man was a member of Voldemort’s elite. There may be a question or two on the exam related to Mr. Malfoy and how he was exposed. His son, Draco, was also suspected of being loyal to Voldemort until Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix spoke out for Draco’s defense.

“Crucial information worth remembering about the Avery and Lestrange family is that both families had ties to Voldemort since the beginning of the First War. The two families still are associated with Dark Arts and pureblood superiority beliefs. If you’ll look back in your notes and simply study the incidents I focused rather heavily on, you should be fine for your exam,” Professor Binns finished.

As soon as class ended, I rushed out so to avoid Sarah and Mack. That wasn’t really difficult since they seemed to be thinking the same thing. I didn’t look at either of them as they walked by and they pretended they didn’t even see me. I spent the rest of the day walking to classes by myself, sitting as far from them as possible and generally ignoring their existence.

I stayed in my room during dinner, despite my growling stomach. At least I was isolating myself like Dad had asked me to. It just hurt to know how my friends think of me, well, they aren’t my friends anymore. I felt the tears falling and became even more upset. I didn’t want to be crying about such a trivial thing as losing my two best friends and my big brother in the same year. I didn’t want to be crying about how Trish was right and I had pushed away everyone I really needed. I didn’t want to be feeling such a huge mixture of emotions so strongly and being almost completely confused and frightened all the time.

“I’m so tired of crying,” I whispered to myself.

A knock on the door made me wipe my eyes and jump out of my bed.

“Lily? Can I please come in?”

I recognized Aunt Hermione’s voice and immediately felt a little better. At least I had my Dad and most of my aunts and uncles here to comfort me. “Sure,” I finally answered.

She poked her head in the doorway and smiled slightly. “Hi! I ran into your dad near his office and he asked me to come get you,” she explained as I walked out the door.

“Did he talk to Siri?” I asked, hopefully as we exited the Common Room.

Aunt Hermione nodded. “Yes, and he spoke to Miss Thomas too,” she added, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder. “Term will be over soon and things will calm down once you get home,” she assured me.

I nodded and forced a smile. I really wanted to believe she was right, especially because Aunt Hermione is so rarely wrong, but I knew things would never calm down. I briefly wondered if it would be possible for me to ever truly feel at peace again.

We had stopped in front of Dad’s office door when an incredibly uncomfortable, but entirely familiar, sensation overcame me. Aunt Hermione’s knocking was muffled and becoming more faint. After a brief moment of trying to remain focused on the opening door in front of my, I closed my eyes and lost the fight.
**
I was standing on a beach, the sand sticking to my now bare feet and the setting sun causing my now bare forearms to be covered in goose bumps. Surprised, I looked down and saw I was wearing a green sundress instead of my school robes.

“What’s going on?” I mumbled, touching the hem of the dress in confusion.

“You can either walk into the water or climb the cliff,” a voice responded.

I turned around, searching for the source of the voice. It was then I noticed a beautiful woman seated on a previously unoccupied rock.

“Hello,” I said, walking towards her.

“Hello, Lily” she responded with a smile.

“Where am I?” I asked her, taking another moment to scan my surroundings. Nothing looked remotely familiar.

“You must choose. You must either climb or swim,” she told me.

I wasn’t in the mood for either activity or any form of riddle solving. It had been a long day, actually it had been a long year, and I just wasn’t up for this anymore.

“Can’t I just go home?” I requested, trying to think of a way out.

Her smile suddenly seemed to become more forced. “No, you must choose,”

“No, I don’t have to do anything. I’m just going to sit here and wait until I figure out a way to get out of here. Then, I’m going to leave and it won’t be an exit by water or cliff-climbing,” I snapped.

Suddenly, she lunged at me. I was so shocked that I didn’t react until she already had her hand around my throat. White hot, searing pain ripped through my body so forcefully I began convulsing. Pain and fear blinded me and I felt as if my ears were bleeding from my high pitched screams.

“I can kill you right now, Lily Potter. There is no one to save you and no way for you to escape. With you dead, everything will be easier. I’m so tempted because you are so weak and vulnerable, but instead I will keep you stuck here with me. You will be stuck here until I feel the desire to release you, which may never happen,” the woman cackled gleefully.

I let out another cry of pain as I felt something cut my arm. We wrestled in the sand and I scrambled to get away from her but I couldn’t. I was blinded by pain and hopelessness. And then I saw it, a beam of light coming towards me. My sobs increased as I felt more cuts across my arms and stomach. I gazed at that beam and willed it to take me far, far away from here.

“LILY!”

I heard my name but had no idea who had shouted it. The light was almost to my fingertips when I suddenly felt feather light and was being lifted out of the awful woman’s grasp. My vision was still blurry but I could just see my wand being held up by my bloodied right hand. I must have cast some sort of charm to escape although I have no idea when or how or what charm I used.

The white light was gone now and the woman was fading away as I rose higher. I felt tired, so completely exhausted that my eyes closed suddenly. I could feel myself drifting on and then landing on something warm and rather comfortable. I didn’t open my eyes because I was frightened of what I would see. And I was tired, so very, very tired.
**
“How did she get here?” a voice whispered.

“I’m not sure, Sybill,” a second voice answered.

My head felt heavy and my body felt so stiff, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to move at all. I opened my eyes to see Sybill changing a bandage on my arm. A man I didn’t recognize was standing in the doorway, watching Sybill tend to me.

“Where am I?” I asked, my voice coming out hoarse.

“At Tom’s house,” Sybill answered, unable to completely hide the relief flooding her face.

“Oh, Tom’s house,” I repeated, sarcastically. I was annoyed that she thought simply naming the location would explain everything.

I was definitely in a house though. The shades had been drawn over all the windows and there didn’t appear to be any decorations anywhere. I had been placed on a blue couch in a small room and I could just see a smaller bedroom through another open door. Sybill finished changing my bandages, handed me a potion and sat down in a chair across from me.

“Lily, do you hurt anywhere?” she asked me.

My eyes filled up with tears and I let out an annoyed sigh. “I hurt everywhere, Sybill. My left arm feels like its on fire, I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to lift my head again and I really just want to go home,” I complained, a sob escaping me as I finished.

A pair of strong arms wrapped around me and squeezed gently. Rather than the gesture hurting me, I actually started to feel a little better.

“You can go home but we can’t help you, Lily. You’re going to have to get back yourself,” Tom explained.

I nodded as he let me go. I had expected to be told something of that nature so I wasn’t disappointed. I drank the potion Sybill had handed me and felt a warm, tingling sensation coursing through my body.

“Lily, before you go, could you please tell us what happened to you?” Sybill requested.

So I told them both all about the beach and the woman who attacked me. They both looked surprised and concerned. And at one point, Tom actually sank into an empty chair on the other side of Sybill, his mouth set in a frown.

“Do you have any idea who that mean woman was?” I asked.

“It was probably just a demon,” Sybill answered, looking at Tom rather than me.

“Just a demon?” I scoffed.

“Yes. You see, as long as evil exists there will be demons, Lily. The important thing to remember is that demons grow stronger as evil spreads and they are becoming more numerous and more dangerous each day. You must be careful. You are something of a target for them because of your ability. Since you can foresee evil and other disastrous events, you can prevent those incidents from happening. If you prevent enough evil from spreading, the demons will loose their large numbers and their strength,” Tom explained.

“Oh, okay,” I said, not really understanding the importance of his words.

“No, it’s not okay. You must be safe at all times now. With the events happening in your world, there are consequences that affect us here. You are not always among friends and you must never assume any individual you come across is someone who will help you,” he pressed.

“I know, and I’ll be careful,” I promised. “Oh, and thank you very much for helping me,” I added, standing up on wobbly feet.

I didn’t wait for a response because I needed to get back and I didn’t know how long I’d be able to stay standing. I closed my eyes and decided I should probably try picturing Dad’s office since that was the last place I had been. I saw the hardwood maple floors and the red couch near the table. He’d have at least three mugs sitting on that table and he would be sitting in his tattered red armchair while Aunt Hermione would be sitting in a new brown chair.

I opened my eyes and tried to smile as I discovered I had made it.

“Lily?”

I turned my head to see my Mum’s pale face. She was gazing at me in disbelief from Dad’s tattered chair. I managed a small smile as she rushed over to me.

“What happened to you? We’ve been so worried! Where did you go? What did you See? Are you all right? How did you get all these cuts?” she asked as she switched between squeezing me tight and inspecting my wounds.

“Water,” I stated.

A glass was under my nose in an instant and as I reached up I saw my Dad standing next to my Mum. Aunt Hermione rushed over and she pushed her way by my parents to give me a quick hug and a peck on the forehead.

“I was so worried,” she whispered before stepping back.

“We all were, Lily,” Dad said, leaning down to hug me.

“I’m sorry,” I sobbed, “but it was so awful! I’ve never been so frightened!”

“Can you talk about it, honey?” Mum asked as she tenderly rubbed some cream on my cuts.

I managed a small nod and took a large drink of the water that had been handed to me. And then I began reliving the horrible ordeal that I had just experienced. I told them about the choice between climbing the cliff or walking into the water. Dad, Mum and Aunt Hermione kept interrupting my tale with requests for details or further explanations. I answered their questions with as much detail as I could recall but there wasn’t much to tell.

I yawned loudly while Aunt Hermione and Dad were discussing something and Mum caught it…just like always.

“That’s enough for tonight. Lily, we’re going to give you a Sleeping potion so you won’t dream tonight, and I don’t want to hear any arguments about it. Harry, we can have her stay here with you until exams are finished, right?” Mum asked.

Dad nodded and gave her a quick kiss on her forehead. As he stepped back, Mum whispered something to him but I couldn’t hear any part of it. Aunt Hermione wrapped me in another bone crushing hug, gave Mum and Dad quick kisses on their cheeks before leaving.

“Okay Silly Lilly, time for bed,” Dad said with a forced smile.

“You haven’t called me Silly Lilly since I was five,” I said as he picked me up and carried me to the spare bedroom.

Mum followed us with the potion in hand. As soon as Dad placed me on the bed, Mum slid in next to me and handed me the vial.

“Drink up, honey. I’ll stay here with you for awhile just to make sure you’re okay,” she promised, pushing my hair out of my eyes.

I tipped the vial back and drained the contents. I was glad Mum was going to stay for awhile because I didn’t know how soundly I would sleep. I felt uneasy and a little guilty…I hadn’t mention the encounter with Sybill and Tom to any of them. There was no hidden reason behind my concealment though, I was frightened. What if the only reason I ended up with Sybill and Tom meant that for a short time, I had actually been dead?
Chapter 24 - Reconciliation by hopelesslyhopeful
Author's Notes:
Is there a word to describe how overdue this is? Due to the outcome of DH I debated on continuing this story...but I finally figured the way JKR ended the series didn't mean I couldn't continue this story. Hopefully people will remember and are still interested...and I'm so sorry I didn't do this sooner. Enjoy!
Chapter 24 “ Reconciliation

I woke up in an unfamiliar room draped in darkness. Before panic could surface, I heard soft, steady breathing beside me and turned to find my mum sleeping peacefully. The stupid demon attack came back to me and suddenly I felt sore everywhere. It was too dark for me to actually see my wounds but I could feel every scrape, cut and bruise I had acquired. A sudden rush of emotions caused me to almost wake Mum and have her comfort me but she was sleeping so soundly and I knew she rarely had that opportunity. Perhaps Dad was still awake?

Slowly, and with as little sound as possible, I slid out of bed and tip-toed to the door. As I reached for the knob, a low murmur reached my ears. I waited a moment and then heard another murmur, just as quiet but the tone was different. Surely I could nudge the door open just enough to hear the conversation without being noticed?

“ “ figure out something to protect her but I can’t think of anything. I mean, I’ve felt helpless before, Hermione, you’ve see it but this is completely different!” I heard my dad whisper.

Aunt Hermione didn’t say anything but I assumed she must have nodded. I nudged the door open a little further so I could actually see what was going on. Dad was sitting in his worn armchair. His elbow was propped up on the arm rest and his palm was currently holding his head up. Aunt Hermione was sitting straight across from him wearing an expression torn between pity and understanding. Neither of them had a view of the door which made my eavesdropping opportunity perfect.

“You were here, you saw her thrashing around on the couch,” he continued, “and there wasn’t a thing we could do for her!”

Aunt Hermione nodded. “I know, Harry,” she whispered.

“Gods, those screams are going to haunt me for the rest of my life. I’m her father, for Merlin’s sake! My whole purpose is to protect her from ever finding herself in a situation to scream that painfully,” he growled out. “It was heart-wrenching and seeing her eyes so wide and fearful didn’t help one bit either.”

“We’ll figure this out, Harry. We’ve always managed to find a solution before, I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to now. I’ll talk to Severus and see if I can have a look at all the literature he has pertaining to Transcenders. And I’ll delve into some Divination texts too, just to see if there’s some way we can help Lily while she’s…Seeing,” Hermione assured.

Dad’s face broke into a smile and he stood up to hug Hermione. He whispered something that made her laugh before pulling away. She looked like she was going to continue but there was a sudden knock on the nearby door. Dad pierced Hermione with a questioning look before grabbing his wand. He walked over and opened the door to reveal my former best friends and brothers looking quite upset.

“Un “ Uncl “ Uncle H “ Har “ Harry,” Sarah managed to squeak out between sobs before my dad ushered them inside.

“What’s going on?” Hermione asked an extremely pale Brian.

“Um, well, the thing is…” his voice trailed off as he brushed his tears off his cheek.

“We’ve lost Lily!” Mack blurted out before bursting into sobs.

“What on earth are you talking about?” Dad asked, pushing the herd towards the couch and chairs.

“It’s my fault. I sort of yelled at her earlier this morning and then ignored her all day. I know it was wrong but I’m just so tired of her being in her own head and not caring about her friends,” Sarah managed to say between sniffles.

“Sarah, you didn’t tell her that did you?” Aunt Hermione asked with a disapproving tone.

Sarah just shrugged and cast a look at Mack. Siri and Bry suddenly became interested in the floor and effectively avoided making eye contact with either adult.

“We know it wasn’t really the best thing to do, but we were just so tired of everything. I was planning on apologizing after dinner, I really was. I just wanted her to think about someone other than herself for a few hours,” Sarah admitted, her cheeks flushed.

“Sarah Rose Weasley! What an awful thing to do to your cousin!” Aunt Hermione hissed.

Sarah nodded. “I know, but like I said I was going to apologize after we got back from dinner, but she wasn’t in the dorm. Mack and I tracked down Siri and he said he hadn’t seen her all day and then we went to find Bry and he hadn’t seen her either. I’m just really worried something horrible has happened to her,” she explained between her sobs.

I watched Sarah’s confession with boiling rage. How dare she? How can she run to my father to make her feel better for being an awful friend to me? And then he forgives her and she gets to go back to being a regular First Year! And I’m the selfish one? I’m tired of this too! I wish I could run to some adult and have them fix my life but I don’t have that option. That final thought pushed me into action.

“You two-faced, selfish, stuck up…bi

“HEY!” Dad’s yell cut off my insult, but I was not to be stopped entirely.

I stomped over to Sarah, feeling my anger radiating off of me and not caring one bit. Her blue eyes were wide and fearful and she flinched when I stopped right in front of her.

“You sit here unburdened, unharmed and pretend to give a damn what’s going on with me? If you really cared you wouldn’t have said what you did this morning. You knew full well how much your little speech would hurt me but you did it anyway” I hissed before turning to face the room at large. “Have any of you thought, for one second about me? How tired of dealing with this I am? How positively frightened I am to even fall asleep every night? Do you have any idea how depressing it is to be terrified of sleeping? Simply sleeping! Do any of you understand what it’s like to have a nice little chat with a dying man in a cellar? Have you slipped in a pool of blood and vomit this year? Or how about witnessing your father being tortured by Voldemort? Have you had to hear his screams as Death Eaters surround him?” I screamed, causing my Mum to come rushing into the room but still I went on. “And that, Mack and Sarah, is why I am the exact opposite of selfish! If you even knew half of what I’m going through, neither of you would be able to sleep through the night. That’s why I don’t say anything! I don’t want you guys to have to deal with the horrors that I have the privilege of witnessing every night. Silly me, putting the well-being of the people I care about in front of my own! Well, I’ll stop doing that from now on if that’s what you want. I’ll tell you ever last detail so you can cringe and cry and be afraid to close your eyes just like me! If you want to suffer, I’ve got more than enough information to provide. I can help you feel just as miserable and hopeless as I do every single day!” I finished, chest heaving and tears streaming steadily down my face.

Mum’s hand was covering her mouth and her own tears were visible. Sarah couldn’t meet my gaze and Mack’s cheeks were so red I thought I could feel their heat. Bry had collapsed onto the floor, his teary eyes looking at me with such pity it made me sick. Aunt Hermione was visibly shaking with the effort to control her sobbing, her eyes so red I could barely see her brown irises. Dad’s green eyes were teary and his mouth partially opened in an expression of surprise. But Siri was who drew most of my attention…he was crying. Not silently like my mom but loud, gut-wrenching sobs that oddly made the silent room seem more quiet. I watched as he finally lost the energy to remain standing and sank onto the floor next to Bry.

As the silence stretched on I began to feel slightly embarrassed about my outburst. It’s not like my display of temper was completely out of character. Everyone present has witnessed something similar to this at some point, except for Mack. I was more ashamed of the things I had said, specifically the examples I gave. Prior to this moment, I had never really revealed many details. My reasoning for that was, funnily enough, I didn’t want the reactions I was getting right now.

Both Mum and Dad moved toward me at the same moment, but Dad reached me first and scooped me up and squeezed me so tightly I squeaked.

“Stop that, Harry. She’s still hurt!” Mum scolded, forcing Dad to put me down. Then she proceeded to squeeze me just as tightly.

“Please stop hugging me, Mum. It really hurts!” I said with a wince.

Mum immediately pushed me away and began prodding my injuries, watching my face for the reactions. “Hmm, I’ll go get some more cream for you,” she said, kissing the top of my head before leaving the room.

I turned to face the still tear-stained faces of everyone. Dad kneeled down and scrutinized me. “Are you okay, honey?” he asked, his voice sounding scratchy.

I shrugged and then nodded.

“That’s my girl. I’m going to go talk to Hermione for a moment. I’ll be right over there if you need me, okay?” he asked, indicating the room Mum had just entered.

I nodded again. He leaned over to hug me. “Let them comfort you, honey. Please don’t harden your heart,” he whispered. My back went stiff at his words but I didn’t respond.

As soon as Dad and Aunt Hermione joined Mum in the guest room I faced my…friends. The crying had stopped and Sarah could actually meet my eyes now. I fought the desire to walk away and stood up straighter.

Siri and Bry stood up and rushed toward me but I stepped back. I hurt all over and another crushing hug would probably knock me out for the remainder of the night. They stopped just in front of me, both wearing expressions of pure hurt.

“Don’t look at me like that! You two were going to give me a bone crushing hug and I’m pretty beat up at the moment. If you want me to remain conscious, you’ll need to hold back any physical displays of apologizing,” I explained.

Bry nodded and simply squeezed my hand softly. “You look awful,” he said.

I smiled. “I feel worse,” I admitted.

Siri cleared his throat and shifted his feet. “What happened to you?”

“I’m done talking to you guys about anything I dream about from now on. I don’t want to keep sounding all selfish and wrapped up in myself,” I said.

Sarah flinched and choked back a sob before both her and Mack uttered, “I’m so, so sorry!”

I barely fought down the urge to say something mean to her and simply sighed instead. “I know but that doesn’t make it hurt any less,” I admitted.

Sarah nodded and reached for my free hand. Reluctantly, I let her hold my hand and found myself suddenly feeling lighter.

“Lily…I’ve been an awful brother,” Siri confessed.

I simply gazed at him without responding. Dad asked me to hear them out, he didn’t say I had to make things easier for them.

“Right, well, so I would apologize for that but I know it won’t begin to make things better,” he continued, concern written all over his face.

I merely nodded.

“From now on though, I’m going to do better. I promise,” he said.

“Okay,” I stated.

He nodded then and nudged Bry away from me. “I’m going to hug you now but I won’t squeeze you. And then you’re going to let everyone else hug you too because, well you need some hugs. But no one is going to hurt you, right?” he said, glaring at everyone in the room.

Despite the ridiculous and recently rare display of big brother protectiveness, I smiled and nodded before hugging each of my friends. And afterwards I felt the bubble of happiness inside me grow, until I flashed a truly radiant smile.
****
It’s amazing how a little explosive emotional display can clear the air. We all spent the day in Dad’s rooms doing homework and studying for our upcoming exams. Mum stayed at Hogwarts too. She told me that she wasn’t needed at the hospital but I didn’t think that was exactly true. Mum was always needed at the hospital for something, but it was nice to know that nothing would take her away from me for now.

“Do you kids want to go to the Great Hall for dinner or would you like for me to have some dinner brought here?” Mum asked that evening.

Sarah, Mack and I were lying on the floor in front of the fireplace, testing each other on potion ingredients. “I don’t want to go to the Great Hall. I’m not ready for people to see me,” I admitted.

“You don’t look half as bad now as you did this morning, Lils,” Siri said from Dad’s armchair. He kept his head down as he spoke, the open Charms book on his lap seeming to hold his attention.

“You mean it doesn’t look like I was viciously attacked anymore? What does it look like now then? An unfortunate run in with an angry tree?” I asked.

There was an odd choking sound and we all turned our heads in the direction of my Dad. He was sitting behind a desk in the far corner of the room with his head bent over an old book. And his shoulders were shaking for some reason.

Mack, Sarah and I exchanged questioning glances before Brian spoke up. “You okay, Dad?” he asked.

My Dad lifted his head and I was surprised to see a smile stretching across his face. He had been laughing! “An unfortunate run in with an angry tree,” he said before chuckling again.

I smiled before facing Mum again. “I suppose I can’t stay hidden away forever though. Do you think we should go to dinner? Jake, Katy and James are probably worried,” I said, realizing for the first time that none of them were present.

Mum shook her head and sat down beside me. She pulled me close and stroked my hair for a moment before piercing with a searching look. “Hermione has spoken with them, so they know you are with us and that you are fine. I think you should go to breakfast tomorrow, but staying here tonight would be best. I’m also going to have you take another Dreamless Sleep potion tonight. Normally I wouldn’t recommend such constant dosing, but you’ll most likely have some vicious nightmares and you need your rest,” she said.

I nodded since I had assumed she would want me to take the potion again. The previous light mood had disappeared and Dad’s smile was gone. I sighed and rested my head against Mum’s shoulder. I really just wanted the year to be over so I could go home and pretend that everything was normal again.

Dad’s throat clearing caused me to sit up and look at him. He had a small smile on his face as he approached our group on the floor. Bry and Siri had closed their books and were silently watching Dad cross the room.

“I have a question for young Miss Potter,” Dad said.

I quickly glanced at Siri and Bry to see them exchanging grins before focusing on my Dad again. “What?” I asked.

“You haven’t mentioned anything about what you want for your birthday,” he chuckled.

I stared at my Mum in shock. My birthday! I completely forgot my birthday would be in two days. I was going to be twelve in two days!

“I forgot about that,” I said, unable to keep the surprise out of my voice.

Mack snorted. “I wonder how that could happen!” she said.

I playfully smacked her arm causing her to smile before facing my Mum again. “Is it weird that I feel older than twelve?” I asked her.

Mum shook her head before wrapping her arms around me. “Not at all, dear. Believe me when I say, that is a feeling your father and I are all too familiar with,” she whispered.

I nodded against her chest while choking back tears. “I want a brand new broomstick. And I don’t want the kiddie version either. I want one that’s top of the line, professional grade, capable of zero to deathly fast in the blink of an eye,” I said, pulling away from Mum and grinning.

Sarah and Mack nodded in approval while Mum scowled. “You could break your neck flying a broom like that!” she said sternly.

“Well, how about a unicorn colt then? I’ve always wanted one of those,” I suggested.

“Lily, you can’t have a unicorn. Those are a Ministry protected species and they are not meant to be domesticated,” Bry said, shaking his head.

I shrugged and tried to keep a smile from forming on my face. “I think both options are entirely reasonable. I also want to go shopping this summer, and not just for school robes either. I would like to get some dress robes and a few muggle outfits,” I added thoughtfully.

Dad’s grin vanished. “Absolutely not, Lily. I’ve seen what Muggle girls wear and I’m not letting you out in public looking anything like that,” he said.

I stood up and shrugged. “Fine, then I’ll just ask for money from every relative and use it to buy whatever I want. Is the potion on the nightstand, Mum? I’m getting tired so I think I’ll go to bed now. Good night!” I said before hugging Sarah and Mack and pecking Bry and Siri on the cheek.

My Dad wore an expression between amusement and irritation as I kissed his cheek. “Sometimes it’s kind of nice to be a normal kid,” I whispered in his ear before flashing a smile.

Dad’s green eyes looked a little watery as he ruffled my hair. “I bet it is, sweetie,” he said softly.

Mum gave me a watery smile before taking my hand and leading me into the spare bedroom and handing me the potion. She waited as I changed into my pajamas and climbed into bed before tucking me in. She pierced me with such an intense look I thought I was about to be scolded for my antics, but she simply shook her head.

“You are so much stronger than you realize, sweetie. Sleep well and I’ll be here when you wake up,” she said before kissing my cheek.

I nodded and watched her silhouette leave the room. I briefly heard her tell everyone else to get back to their dorms before I drifted off into a blissfully dreamless sleep.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=63436