The Black Twins and the Fountain: Year 1 by SiriusBlack1113
Summary: The war between Voldmort and Harry has been over for 21 years and life has gone on. Now it's time for the next generation. Two orphans, that are suprisingly reminescent of Tom Marvolo Riddle and Harry Potter are going to Hogwarts, and there they'll learn of charms and transfiguration, goblins and potions. They'll meet the children of legends, fly on broomsticks, eat frogs made of chocolate. But ancient forces that have been lying dormant are stirring and the remenants of that battle so many years ago may be coming back to haunt them. There's something in the Forbidden Forest, the centaurs won't allow anyone, even Hagrid, into it. Students are getting sick, to the point of being on their deathbed, something's howling in the woods, and there's a whisper whisper about Dark wizards that escaped.









In the first year of the Black Twins, adventure waits in the darkest and brightest of places.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1895 Read: 1429 Published: 08/04/07 Updated: 08/13/07

1. The Fourth by SiriusBlack1113

The Fourth by SiriusBlack1113
Author's Notes:
This story is an original idea, based on the J.K. Rowling's settings of Hogwarts. Some of the facts may be slightly off, but until the encyclopedia comes out, or JK says something, I can't change them.

Enjoy!
From the very fountain of enchantment there arises a taste of bitterness to spread anguish amongst the flowers. -Lucretius









The man in the blue cloak hesitated. He peered into the darkness as if searching for a glimpse of something.





A voice pierced the silence. “What are you doing? We have to go. Come on.” The voice was sharp, yet hushed, as if in reverence.





The man in the blue cloak looked around again quickly, then went to join the other two men standing on the riverbank, gazing at the outlines of the trees on the other side. One man wore a deep violet cloak, the other a brilliant emerald green.





“Really Ignotus, what were you doing? Now is not the time to lag behind,” said the man in the violet cloak.





“I thought I saw something, Antioch.” Ignotus’s voice was calm and deep.





“You were probably just imagining it.” A look of condescending amusement crossed Antioch’s face.





“I did not!” Ignotus’ voice rose slightly.





Antioch opened his mouth to retort, but the second brother, Cadmus, in the green cloak, spoke first.





“It does not matter.” His voice came out harsh. “Let’s just get it over with. If this doesn’t work…” He trailed off.





The three men stood silently for a moment, watching the river in front of them. It was eerily silent and still. Cadmus stepped back and pulled a large stone out. It was black and glinted, despite the lack of light. He threw it into the middle of the river where it fell straight down, not even making a ripple. The river was still for another moment and then there was a loud roar and a rush of wind as the water in the middle of the river flew up and exploded into a geyser.





“NOW!” roared Antioch. The three men tore what appeared to be sticks of wood out of their cloaks. Jets of light - violet, green, and blue - erupted from them and hit the geyser. They began to twist around the water, moving faster and faster until the water started to fall in an arc, landing on both sides of the river. When it froze it resembled a glowing bridge of ice.





“Come on!” shouted Cadmus. The three men raced across the bridge. The place on the river they had just left had suddenly become infested with something that was not quite human. Pale figures climbed out of the river and reached out their skeleton-like hands. Their straggly hair fell in front of their faces, hiding their dead eyes. One touched the bridge and let out a horrified scream. Where it had made contact with the bridge was now a huge scorching hole. The figure was clutching its arm, which ended in a stump where its hand would have been, smoking.





Ignotus had turned at the sound of anguished screams. He glimpsed the frenzied creatures throwing themselves at the bridge, which slowly began to burn. For a second, he thought he saw something dark step on the other end, but “





“Don’t look back,” Antioch said, pulling him across the bridge.





“We have to get across before they reach the middle!” Cadmus stumbled as he spoke. Antioch grunted and grabbed him and Ignotus by their cloaks and threw them forward.





The brothers collapsed on the other side of the river. Through the corner of his eye, Ignotus thought he saw the shadow that he had seen before leap onto the riverbank. But then his attention was drawn to the bridge. The creatures had reached the center and with a deafening crack, the bridge collapsed. A large cloud of steam and fire rose up. The brothers threw themselves face down on the ground and covered their faces.





The smoke and ashes cleared, leaving the river as silent and still as it had been before they had raised the bridge. The three men lay where they were, panting.





“We did it,” breathed Cadmus. But no sooner then the words had left his mouth than a bright light appeared, blinding them. The brothers struggled as an invisible force made them stand. Before them stood the most beautiful woman they had ever seen.





Cadmus breathed out. Antioch reached his hand out toward the woman. Yet, when he was just a hair away, she began to change. Her face contracted, slowly lengthening and losing its flesh. The soft hands stretched, becoming mostly bone. When its transformation was complete, the woman before them had been replaced by a pale, gaunt man with long black hair. He was wrapped in a swirling black cloak and shadowed by a hood.





Ignotus gave a small gasp. “Are you…?” The man nodded and raised his hand.





“Show me how you crossed the rivers without the ferry.”





“The rivers?” Antioch tilted his head. “There was but one…”





“The five rivers! How did you cross them? The Acheron, Cocytus, Lethe, Phlegethon and the Styx. All crossed in one attempt. Show me how!” The voice was harsh and commanding, not befitting of the man it came from.





Unwillingly, controlled by the same force that made them stand, the men raised their wands.





The dark eyes narrowed. “Wizards,” hissed the man, sounding not unlike a snake. His face contorted as he struggled with something. Finally he spoke through gritted teeth. “Very well, Peverell Brothers. You have-” he had to force the words out here, “cheated me. You have escaped the grasp of Death. And for that I am required to reward you. I will give you each one thing that you ask for.”





Antioch and Cadmus looked stunned for a moment. Then, slowly, ecstatic -almost maniacal- expressions crossed their faces. They broke away to whisper amongst themselves. Ignotus was not as content. He could not hide his look of unease as he went to join his brothers to decide what they should take from Death.





“Can you believe it?” Antioch’s face shined with excitement. “Think of what we could do. The power, the glory!” A maniac gleam was in his eyes.





“Power?” whispered Cadmus. “We have outwitted death. We could cheat him more. Escape him, pull others from his grasp. Think of the lives we could bring back. Think of…” He trailed off, the look on his face suddenly unreadable.





Ignotus squirmed. “Be careful. This is Death. He will not let you get away if you humiliate him more. He will give you what you reap. We all go to him in the end.”





This time, Cadmus’ eyes gleamed. “But don’t you see, Ignotus? We would never have to join him if we ask for the right thing. We could forever evade death.”





Ignotus was uncomfortable with the look on his brothers’ faces. “I’m not sure-”





Antioch cut him off with a wave of his hand. “It does not matter. You will make your choice and we will make ours.”





With that, he straightened and walked over toward the man. Cadmus followed closely behind. Yet Ignotus hung back, still unsure.





Antioch’s expression had changed. It was serious now, as if he were trying to appear formidable.





Death stared him down. “You have decided.” It was no question.





Antioch nodded curtly. “I wish-” his voice echoed loudly. “I wish-” this time it was softer. “I wish for the most powerful wand in existence. One that will win all duels. One worthy of a man who beat Death.”





His eyes narrowed at that, but Death slowly nodded. He walked over to an Elder tree on the bank and spoke to it softly. The tree gave a loud groan, then bent and dropped a branch into his hand. Death waved his other hand over it and it transformed into a sleek, yet powerful looking wand. He handed it to the eldest brother. “The Elder Wand. For a man who can master Death.” Ignotus heard the mocking tone in his voice, but Antioch simply gripped the wand tightly, reveling in the power that pulsed in the smooth wood.





The man turned to the second brother. “And you?”





“I want something that will undo Death. Something that will make the dead undead. Something to bring them back to life.” Ignotus shuddered at his brother’s words. This, surely, would not be accepted.





A shadow passed over Death’s face but he responded, “As you wish,” and pointed a long, skeletal finger to the river. A stone shot up, still not disturbing the silent river. It flew through the air and Cadmus caught the stone he had thrown into the river before. It was unchanged; neither cold, nor hot. Nothing. It wasn’t even wet.





“To call back the dead, you must turn it three times.” Death kept his instructions short, and Ignotus wondered if he was purposefully withholding something. But he had little time to think as the face turned toward him.





“And you?” The voice sounded tired, exasperated. Ignotus thought quickly. There had to be something that wouldn’t allow Death to follow him from here. That was it. “I would like it, please, if you will give me a cloak to shield me from being seen by Death.”





Ignotus watched shock cross Death’s face. He breathed heavily, then tore off his silver, swirling cloak and thrust it toward him. “Here.” The cloak spilled over Ignotus’ fingers, its silky fabric caressing in a way. It smelled, to Ignotus, lightly of lavender. He stared at it for a moment, then closed his eyes and threw it on, knowing subconsciously that it would fit perfectly. He breathed deeply.





Ignotus was frightened. Whereas before Death had looked tired but slightly amused, he now looked at the last brother with anger. Ignotus, thinking of nothing else, bowed respectfully. “Thank you.”





The shock was gone from Death’s face by the time he straightened.





“You have your rewards. Go. Leave.”





The voice was final. Ignotus gave a small bow again and turned with his brothers.





Death watched them walk. Fools, he thought, most humans were. Although, he looked after the last brother, the young one was more intelligent “ wiser than his brothers . Perhaps, when they finally joined him, he would be more merciful with him. He knew that the two elder brothers would not last long, not with gifts like those. Greed and emotion would destroy them both before long. But the young one “ he would walk towards him, accept Death eventually “ so he would be the one to receive his respect.





Death turned toward the shadow in the trees. “You!” His voice rang out. “You crossed the bridge, too! What do you want?”





The shadow came out of the tree. Death’s eyes widened slightly: he was not expecting this. A voice came from the person, light, but firm. “The only thing I wish for, Death, is the same fate that will befall the brothers when you take us.”





He was slightly confused; perhaps this was not a human. It did not act like one. But its request was easy. He spoke to the shadow as an equal in that moment; already finished in this time, already fading to another place. There was just this to be done and then this moment could wait longer. There was another time calling him. The shadow stepped closer and he could see the whites of its eyes. He hesitated for a moment, pondering the consequences, but he could feel himself being pulled away. He could fix this later. Or they could.





“Agreed.”








This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=70854