The Path of a Star by shooting_star42
Summary: It's not that hard being adopted...what's hard is not being able to remember anything from before...

A young girl, Estella, is found on the doorstep of a former Hogwarts student with no recollection of what happened before that. Not so bad, right?

When Estella (nicknamed Star) Cylene receives her letter for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy, her adopted mother is overjoyed. Little does she know that her shooting star is going to begin a journey that will lead her to discover who she really is, and what she can really do...and discover others who want to use her power for something other than good.

Easy life? I don't think so...
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 9830 Read: 12993 Published: 01/29/08 Updated: 07/02/08

1. Chapter 1: The Birth of a Star by shooting_star42

2. Chapter 2: First Impressions by shooting_star42

3. Chapter 3: An Unexpected Sorting by shooting_star42

4. Chapter 4: Finally, Something Goes Normal! by shooting_star42

5. Chapter 5-The Day Begins with Draconic Adventures! by shooting_star42

Chapter 1: The Birth of a Star by shooting_star42
Author's Notes:
The story is set in the Next Generation era
Jasmine Cylene curled up in her old, beaten up chair, completely and utterly satisfied. She was on a small break from her job in Romania, where she had been working with dragons for the past two years. Tomorrow she had plans to see her parents, and some old friends, but for tonight, she comfortable reclining in her own little flat, a warm fire going in the little fireplace and a Muggle book to read. At twenty-five, Jazz was still short; she had lost hope of growing taller ages ago. Her facial features had grown more mature, and almost more delicate, but there was still a fierce gleam in her eyes, and a stubborn set of her chin. She still lived, and did pretty much everything else on her own, and was perfectly happy with that. And though she didn’t know it, her life was about to change forever.

Ding, Jazz’s doorbell chimed softly, startling her. She looked up from her book, cross that someone had come to interrupt her. Probably some idiot who had gotten lost and needed directions. Jazz debated just sitting there and waiting for the person to leave, but the bell rang again, showing the person’s persistence. With an angry huff, Jazz got up and trudged over to the door, a frown creasing her brow. She yanked open the door, snarling, “What do you”“ but she got no further, because it wasn’t an idiot, or a moron, or anything of the sort. It was a little girl, about five years old, looking as if her life had just crashed down around her. Her eyes were large and filled with tears, and her clothes were ragged and dirty, as if she hadn’t changed them in days. Her body was covered in scorch marks and bruises, and her hair was a knotted mess framing her narrow face. One of her hands was at her mouth, where she was vacantly sucking her thumb, and the other was clutching a piece of paper, so tight it was as if she were trying to strangle it. And Jazz, who had never before felt anything even close to a motherly instinct, suddenly felt a torrent of emotion sweep over her, mostly a tenderness and fierce love for this little child. She got down on her knees, so her head was just below the girl’s, and she gently brushed aside some stray wisps of tangled hair that had gotten in her face.

“Sweetheart, where are your parents?” Jazz asked quietly, though she somehow already knew the answer.

“Gone,” the girl replied sadly, and a tear tracked its way down her face. “All gone.” Jazz felt her heart ache, and instantly opened her arms and embraced the child. The girl returned the hug, burying her face in Jazz’s shoulder and sobbing, releasing the piece of paper in her hand. Jazz looked down and saw it was a photograph; a man and a woman, both laughing and each holding the hand of a little girl. This little girl.

“What’s your name hun?” Jazz asked soothingly, still holding on to the girl.
There was a pause, as if the girl didn’t know.

“Estella,” she finally mumbled. “But I hate it,” she added with childlike belligerence. Jazz chuckled slightly, then thought of something.

“How about we call you Star? That’s what Estella means,” Jazz suggested, feeling proud of herself. The girl’s eyes lit up, and she nodded happily. Jazz stood up and held out her hand to Star, and the girl took it, trust and hope shining in her eyes. Jazz led her into the warmth of her small house, and thought wryly, I think I’ve just become a mother.

~Six years later~

“Mom, are you sure you know where we’re going?” Star asked doubtfully, looking around curiously at the train station. “’Cause I don’t see a Platform 9 ¾. I think you’re lost again.” Jazz laughed at Star’s suspicious tone, and replied, “Me, lost? Never heard of such nonsense. I know exactly where we’re going.” Leading Star purposefully, they arrived at the barrier between platforms 9 and 10.

“Alright, here’s the magic part,” Jazz whispered secretively. “You run at that barrier, and you come out to Platform 9 ¾.” A hint of fear entered Star’s face, and Jazz’s own expression softened. “Come on, I’m going with you. You’ll be fine. Trust me.” Star looked up at her mother and smiled; there wasn’t anyone she trusted more. Taking a deep breath, Star closed her eyes, and began to run, keeping pace with Jazz. A brief flash of darkness…and they were on the platform. Star heaved a sigh of relief and looked around eagerly, taking in all the strange sights and sounds. There were loads of people, more than she had ever seen in the last 6 years she remembered. All the voices blended together into a dull roar that gave her a slight headache, but not enough to disperse her excitement. Nearby, a boy was arguing loudly with his father, and Star could clearly hear him complaining, “But Dad! I told Jacob I would bring Claw! I promised!” The boy was hugging a cage containing a disgruntled owl to his chest, resisting his father’s attempt to take the cage away. Star watched, fascinated, until she was distracted by her mother again, who this time was holding out a small box to her. Star looked at the box questionably, and Jazz quickly explained.

“It’s a present. I kept it a surprise. Open it.” Still slightly cautious, Star lifted the lid off the box and peeked inside, and a small burst of scarlet flame almost scorched her nose. She jumped back, and Jazz laughed sympathetically. “Oh dear, I guess she’s a bit grumpy. Doesn’t like the box much.” Taking the lid off herself, Jazz reached in and pulled out a miniature dragon. It was something she had discovered during her time in Romania: tiny dragons, perfectly formed copies of normal dragons, who lived in the caves with the big ones, standing guard over eggs in exchange for protection from bigger predators. Star gasped in amazement, holding out her hand for the beautiful dragon.

“She’s an Opaleye,” Jazz declared proudly, carefully transferring the dragon to Star’s outstretched hands. The little dragon cocked her head at Star, her sparkling, pupil-less eyes examining her new owner. Deciding Star was harmless, the dragon began to preen, running her snout over her iridescent, pearly scales and buffing up her silver claws. An Opaleye was the most striking of dragons, with the added bonus of being less aggressive than other sorts of dragons. A perfect pet.

“I’ll name her…Comet. Like a shooting star,” Star announced, keeping her hand still and letting the dragon take in her scent. “Thank you Mom! This is the best!” Star threw her arms around her mother’s neck, knowing this would be the last time she would see her for a long time. The train whistle blew, and Jazz stood tall, smiling softly.

“Well, that’s your cue. I’ll see you later, hun. Take care.” Star felt tears in her eyes, but she didn’t let them fall, not wanting her mother to think she was afraid. Jazz saw them glistening though, and she knelt down again, tenderly wiping away the tears

“It’s okay to be afraid sweetheart,” she said softly. “Don’t worry. The time will fly by, and you’ll wish it had gone by slower.” Star nodded, smiling gratefully, and headed over to the train, awkwardly carrying her luggage in one arm while keeping the other hand in her pocket, making sure Comet didn’t try to escape. Well, here goes, she thought determinedly, and stepped on the train right before it began to move.
Chapter 2: First Impressions by shooting_star42
Author's Notes:
Second chapter, finally up and running! I would like to thank my (very few) fans for their love and support. And lovely reviews. :D
Star immediately pressed her nose to a nearby window, and could still see her mother’s short figure standing on the platform. Star frantically waved her arm, and Jazz laughed, giving her a thumbs up. Much encouraged, Star headed down the train, trying to find a compartment that wasn’t already stuffed with other students. Farther and farther down the train she went, and she began to lose hope of finding a space. As she stopped to peer into yet another full compartment, a loud call of “Look out!” rang out, followed by the painful sensation of someone’s elbow in her gut as they ran into her head on. She fell down, scattering her luggage and hitting her head quite painfully. She looked up reproachfully to see a boy, about her own age, looking mortified.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there,” he stuttered, blushing deep red. A moment later, a slightly older boy ran up. He looked a lot like the first, only his eyes were chocolate brown, and he had dark brown hair, while the first boy had black hair and emerald eyes.

“Nice going Al,” the second boy said sarcastically. “I told you to watch it.” He flashed a smile at Star and held out a hand to help her up, saying, “Sorry about my brother. I’m James, by the way. James Potter. And he’s Albus,” James added, inclining his head toward his brother. Star accepted the help up, grinning nervously and checking her pocket to see if Comet was okay. Luckily, the little dragon had suffered no damage, and in fact had fallen asleep in her pocket, apparently uncaring of the jostling she received.

“I’m Star. Star Cylene,” she said softly, relieved that the dragon was okay. The first boy, Albus, began to clumsily pick up her bags, still blushing furiously.

“Sorry again,” he mumbled, handing everything to her. James watched his brother, amused, for a moment, before declaring loudly, “Well, I think as compensation for knocking you down, my brother would like to invite you over to our compartment.” Star laughed at Albus’s embarrassed expression, already feeling at ease with the two boys.

“Sure, that would be great!” she answered enthusiastically.

“Excellent!” James beamed, leading the way down the corridor and turning into a compartment to the right. Star peered around him to see a girl was already seated and immersed within the pages of a book.

“Rose, look who we found,” James announced, nudging Star into the compartment ahead of him. The girl looked up and smiled, putting away her book before holding out her hand. “Hello, I’m Rose Weasley,” she said, smiling warmly. Star grinned back, taking her hand out of her pocket to shake Rose’s. “Star Cylene,” Star introduced herself, firmly shaking Rose’s hand before returning her hand to her pocket, where her little dragon was still sleeping peacefully. She moved farther into the compartment, attempting to heave her bag onto the luggage rack. She got it about halfway up, before it began to slide back down on her.

“I’ve got it,” James said quickly, moving past her to catch the heavy bag before it could knock her down.

“Thanks for that,” Star said gratefully. She stood awkwardly at the doorway, unsure of where to sit. James and Albus scuffled briefly over who would get one of the window seats, and Albus sulkily sat down in the middle when he lost.

“Come on, you can have the other window seat,” James said helpfully, indicating she sit down across from him. Still grateful, Star nodded and sat down next to Rose, staring out the window at the autumn trees rushing by. For a few seconds, she studied her reflection, momentarily ignoring the others. She looked exactly like a girl version of her father; dark blue, almost black eyes, pale skin, thin frame and delicate features. Except for her hair…that was exactly like her mother’s: perfectly straight, raven black, falling gently to her shoulders. The only remnants of her real parents…well, other than the singed picture Jazz told her had been clutched in her hands when she appeared on Jazz’s doorstep 6 years ago. Jazz, who had taken care of her automatically, and was the best mother Star could imagine. She would have given anything for the brown hair, tan skin, and hazel eyes Jazz had, for her to look like Jazz so she would feel more as if she belonged. She couldn’t even see the beauty of her delicate features, just the fact that she looked different from the person she loved most in the world. Star’s face sank into an expression of deep sadness, and sighing deeply, she once again had to hold back tears.

“Star, what’s wrong?” A voice jolted her out of her reverie, and Star jumped slightly, turning to see Albus, James, and Rose looking at with worried expressions.

“Nothing,” Star answered quickly, flushing slightly. Her new friends still looked dubious, but before they could ask anything else, someone burst into the compartment, yelling, “Quick! Hide me!” The boy wriggled between her and the window, using her as a shield. Another boy, much older, came into the compartment a second later, bellowing, “Eric! Get out here now!” A small giggle from behind Star gave away his position, and the older boy immediately pounced on him.

“Eric, fix my badge right now!” The boy demanded, holding out a badge with a lion embossed on it, with the word “ “PRAT!” running across it in big, bold letters. James began to laugh, and even Albus chuckled a little.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” The first boy, apparently named Eric, said innocently, though he had a mischievous glint in his eyes. Star could see the older boy’s face getting redder as his anger rose, and she watched curiously, wondering what would happen.

“Give it here,” Rose demanded, pulling out her wand from her bag. Grabbing the badge from the older boy, she tapped it with her wand and mumbled a few words. The words on the badge shivered, then split apart and reshaped themselves until they spelled out “Prefect.” Eric’s disappointed look made Star laugh, which brought everyone’s attention to her. Eric finally seemed to see whom he had sat next to, and he instantly beamed a grin.

“Hullo, Eric Weasley at your service,” he declared cheekily, leaning out and grabbing her hand, shaking it wildly, and bumping his elbow against the window. “And that prat over there’s my brother, Fred.” Fred looked offended by this remark, and huffily left the cabin. “He doesn’t like to act like it, but he thought it was funny,” Eric whispered, his eyes still dancing wickedly. Star got a good look at him for the first time as he stood up, moving to the other side of her so she could have the window again. He had flaming red hair, and looked to be her age too. His clothes were shabby, but he didn’t seem to mind. Star immediately liked him; he was clearly very friendly and agreeable.

“What year are you guys going to be?” Star asked suddenly, realizing she didn’t know at all. They all said, “First,” with the exception of James, who proudly said, “Second.” Star smiled, glad she had found some friends her age. “Me too. First year, I mean,” she said, curling her legs under her so she could get more comfortable. The others began to chat, the other first years deliberating over what Hogwarts would be like and James boasting about how he already knew everything there was to know about the school. Star chortled quietly sometimes, but mostly she was content just to relax and let the others’ conversations wash over her.

“What House do you think you’ll be in?” Albus asked abruptly, waking up Star from her half-doze. “James is Gryffindor, and that’s where I want to be, but he says I’ll get Slytherin,” Albus glared at his brother, who grinned back innocently.

“I only said you might be in it. Geez, you take everything so seriously!” James replied, playfully shoving his brother in the shoulder so he ran into Rose.

Rose seemed to see Star was confused, and said in a shocked tone, “You guys! I don’t think she knows what the Houses are!”

When Star nodded affirmatively, James launched into an explanation without further delay. “Well, when you get to Hogwarts, you’re Sorted into a House. There’s four of them, called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. You have to take a test to see what House you’re put in, but once you’re Sorted, you’re in that House for life. I’m in Gryffindor,” he ended proudly, displaying a red and gold lion emblem on his robes.

Star was still confused. “Well, what’s so special about each House?” she asked, bewildered. This time, Rose answered.

“Well, Gryffindor is for the brave, Hufflepuff for the true at heart, Ravenclaw for the wise, and Slytherin for the cunning,” she answered formally.

“No, Slytherin is for the evil,” James corrected, putting on a look of mock-seriousness. “If you’re Sorted into Slytherin, you’re destined to be a Dark wizard. Everyone knows that. Both my parents were in Gryffindor. Same with Rose and Eric,” he changed the subject quickly, before Star could begin to worry. “I’m sure you’ll get in too,” he said comfortingly. Star felt better, but there was still the nagging worry about Slytherin…

A poke from Eric, followed by an excited, “We’re here!” sent all thoughts of unease from her mind, and she could only feel a rising sense of excitement. Following the others’ example, she quickly shrugged on her school robes over her regular clothes and followed them out of the train, one hand tightly curled protectively around Comet, who seemed to sense Star’s anticipation and didn’t protest. Jumping down the steps to get off the train, Star almost instantly lost her friends in the jumbled confusion of students. Fighting down a rising sense of panic, Star spun around 360 degrees, only to knock her head against someone else’s luggage as they lugged it down from the train.
Chapter 3: An Unexpected Sorting by shooting_star42
Author's Notes:
Okay, here's Chapter 3, up and running! This personally is my favorite chapter so far; I hope ya'll like it too! By this point, I'm flying solo, so reviews are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Star clutched her head, wondering how much more abuse it could take. The person she had run into was a small, pale-haired boy, who was scowling fiercely in her direction. “Watch it, loser!” he snarled, shoving past her and disappearing in the crowds.

“How rude,” Star mumbled to herself as the boy’s head bobbed out of view. She once again gathered herself together and let the crowd take her along, seeing as she had no idea where she was going. A hand suddenly reached out of the crowd and attached to her arm, causing her heart to lurch. But it was only James, with the others right behind him.

“Where are you going?” he scolded. “First years go over there, with Hagrid. Al, you lead the way. I need to find the carriages,” James ended hastily, handing Star’s arm to Albus and disappearing, once again, into the mob of people.

Albus quickly dropped her arm and beckoned for the others to follow him, and soon they were standing in front of a huge man, who was bellowing, “Firs’ years, over here!” Star gaped at the man, for she had never seen anyone so big and scary in her life. She glanced over at the others, but, to her astonishment, they were greeting the giant cheerfully.

“Hullo Hagrid, good summer?” Albus asked, for once no sign of nervousness in his voice. Star gulped, feeling too scared to get past the giant to get to the little boats the others were climbing into. Rose looked back and, seeing Star still standing on the shore, ran back over and grabbed her arm.

“Come on, Hagrid’s nice!” she laughed, dragging Star past the man and into the boat. Despite the others’ assurances, Star still heaved a sigh of relief when they were past Hagrid, and began to move forward in the water.

She sat at the very front of the boat, eyes straining to catch a glimpse of the school up ahead. Star tried her hardest not to blink, but after a few minutes of staring at darkness, she had to close her eyes for several seconds. And when she opened them again, she saw the castle.

Her gasp of wonder was drowned out by all the other first years, who had burst out into excited murmuring as the boats moved closer, allowing them to take in the sparkling beauty of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Star couldn’t help it; her mouth dropped open and her eyes bulged out of her head.

She stayed in this state of dazed awe until they had walked to the castle and through the huge front doors into the Entrance Hall of the monolithic castle. Then a sense of nervousness and not belonging crashed over her, and Star didn’t think she could take another step forward.

Comet, the little dragon still in her pocket, licked her hand comfortingly, but Star was still frozen in place as the other first years moved past her, shoving her out of their way. Someone, she didn’t see who, tugged on her arm, and she stumbled forward, almost falling over on her face. Like Jazz, she thought with a faint sense of amusement. The thought of her guardian, her mother, inspired courage in Star, and she lifted her head and began to walk, shaking off the helping hand in the process.

The first years stopped again, to be greeted by a teacher, who began talking about the four Houses at the school, but Star tuned him out. Well, she didn’t mean to, but the blood roaring in her ears made it hard to hear. She glanced at Albus, who smiled nervously, and Eric, who flashed her a thumbs up and a cheeky grin. Feeling slightly reassured, Star focused on the professor, who was now saying, “Okay first years, follow me into the Great Hall.”

“Whoa,” was all Star could say when she saw the Great Hall. Four tables, stuffed with students. Hundreds of candles floating in the air The ceiling showing the clear sky outside, reflecting the crisp stars and a luminous quarter moon. It was almost too much for Star, who had never seen anything so spectacular before in her life. Her mouth hung open and her eyes were as wide as they could get.

The line of first years stumbled to a stop in front of a small stool. The teacher who had led them in had disappeared for a few seconds, and Star shifted nervously in line. The professor returned, a grubby hat grasped in his hand. He set the hat on the stool, and Star raised an eyebrow in a skeptical expression she had learned from Jazz. She exchanged a glance with Rose, who just shrugged her shoulders. A rip near the brim of the hat opened up…and the hat began to sing.

Star’s jaw dropped again, and she wasn’t the only one. It was a quite catchy tune, and quite a few of the other first years began to chuckle and tap their feet. Star wasn’t one of them; she was still too nervous. After the hat’s song was finished (Star still wasn’t listening to a word it said. She hoped she wouldn’t regret that later.), the first teacher stepped up next to the stool, holding a long scroll of parchment.

“Attention first years!” he said sharply, erasing all small smiles and smaller giggles. “You will come up to the stool, and I will place the Sorting Hat on your head. When it tells you your new House, you will go sit with the other members of that House.” The words were spoken crisply, and were sharp enough to pop the bubble Star felt she had surrounding her and separating her from everything else.

“Arulla, Tom,” the professor called out the first name on the scroll. A small, scrawny boy stumbled his way forward and let the hat fall down over his eyes. After a few seconds, the hat yelled out, “HUFFLEPUFF!” A table covered in yellow and black broke out in applause, and the boy looked relieved.

The professor ran through the names slowly, and even with her anxiety Star began to get bored and drift off. Finally, the professor called out, “Cylene, Estella!” Star scowled for a second, annoyed that he had used her real name. Her new friends looked perplexed at the different name, but she had no choice but to step forward up to the hat.

As she reached the stool, a sudden burst of courage inspired her to say, “It’s Star. Star Cylene,” loudly enough for everyone to hear. Some small titters rang through the students, mostly from the Slytherin table. The others were astounded at the first year’s temerity, the professor included.

He cleared his throat and said pompously, “Er, yes. Star Cylene. Take a seat.” Star took another deep breath, and waited for the velvety darkness of the hat to envelope her. For a few moments, the hat was silent, and Star began to feel ridiculous.

“Hmm, another Cylene. Didn’t expect that,” The hat, if anything, sounded amused. “By adoption though. Ah, I see. Interesting…you are pure of heart, untainted by bias of the Houses. Very unusual.” Star was surprised; she didn’t expect anything like that from the hat. Before she could comment, the hat continued. “Intelligent, but untrained. A better heart than many I’ve seen, I’ll tell you that. You’ll do great things Estella, great things. It is clear where you belong. It has to be…GRYFFINDOR!”

Star felt her face break out in a grin so wide, it felt like her face was splitting in two. She hopped off the stool and ran over to the Gryffindor table, feeling many hands patting her back as she took a seat in between Fred Weasley and a beautiful girl she didn’t know.

As the Sorting continued, the girl offered her a hand. “Hello, I’m Alice Weasley,” she greeted.

After Star introduced herself and the Sorting went on, Star felt brave enough to ask, “Weasley? Are you and Fred and Rose siblings?” She was quite bewildered; it seemed that there were an unnatural amount of Weasleys around. Fred snorted in amusement, and Alice laughed, her voice tinkling pleasantly like chimes.

“No, no. Us Weasleys just have a very large family,” Alice answered in a whisper, leaning her head closer to Star so she could be heard over the Sorting. “My father, Bill Weasley, Fred and Eric’s father, George, and Rose’s father, Ronald, are all siblings. Plus, there’s our other cousin, Sam.” She stretched out her neck and pointed to a very serious looking boy with thick glasses and flaming red hair. “He’s the Headmaster’s son,” Alice said proudly, while Fred rolled his eyes.

“Yes, and he doesn’t let us forget it,” Fred whispered in Star’s other ear, his usually serious eyes twinkling mischievously. Star’s mouth made a little “o” in surprise; she hadn’t even noticed who the Headmaster was, let alone that he was a Weasley.

Curious, she strained her neck to look at the front table, where all the teachers were sitting. In the very center, in a throne-like chair, was a young man, whose face uncannily resembled Sam’s, right down to the horn rimmed glasses. He had his fingers steepled, and had them up to his lips, as if he were deeply contemplating the results of the Sorting. His face looked serious, but also kind, like he could smile and laugh at any moment. Star immediately liked him.

“Look, Malfoy is next,” Fred murmured, startling Star. She returned her attention to the Sorting, and saw the pale boy, whose luggage her head painfully remembered, was at the front of the line.

“Malfoy, Scorpius,” The professor called sharply, and the boy smoothly stepped up to the stool and confidently let the hat slide over his head.

“What’s up with Malfoy?” Star asked curiously, seeing, of all things, hate and disgust in Fred’s face. She looked up and down the Gryffindor table; even Alice had a scowl on her pretty face.

“His grandfather was a notorious Death Eater, and his father was a snarky little ferret,” Fred replied, his voice thick with loathing. Star looked at the boy on the stool again, but despite her experience with him and the others’ words, she couldn’t bring herself to hate somebody she didn’t really know.

“Maybe he’s different,” she whispered with a shrug.

“And maybe I’ll marry the Headmaster,” Fred said with a scoff. Star rolled her eyes, then frowned slightly. Scorpius seemed to be having difficulty with the hat; his hands clenching the stool were white, and his face was twisted in concentration. After a long time, in which everyone grew impatient, the hat finally yelled out, “GRYFFINDOR!”

Deathly silence fell over the Great Hall; if a pin dropped, it would have sounded like thunder. The professor stiffly lifted the hat from Scorpius’s head, revealing his eyes. Star noticed they were full of shock, anger, hate, and, mostly, fear. After a moment, murmuring began to fill the Hall again, and Alice muttered to Fred, “Better hurry with those wedding arrangements; Headmaster Weasley won’t want to wait long.” He was too shocked to reply indignantly.

“Please go sit at your House table, we have other students to Sort,” The professor said gently, though there was shock and confusion in his eyes. Scorpius stood up with great difficulty, and slumped his way over to the Gryffindor table, taking a seat at the very end and immediately burying his head in his hands in shame. Star felt pity twist her heart, but both Fred and Alice looked appalled.

“How’d a Malfoy get into Gryffindor?” Fred spat, not bothering to lower his voice. At a glare from a professor, he blushed and looked down at his hands, murmuring, “Right…I’m a prefect…”

Alice explained to a puzzled-looking Star. “See, every Malfoy, generation after generation, has been in Slytherin. Scorpius’s cousin is in Slytherin now,” Alice nodded towards a dark-looking girl, about sixth year, who currently looked horrified at her cousin’s Sorting. “No Malfoy has ever been considered for another House; it was always a given that they were in Slytherin.”

“Well, things change,” Star murmured. “Things always change.”
End Notes:
:O Who could have predicted that? Well, I hoped you liked it! Maybe enough to leave a nice review...
Chapter 4: Finally, Something Goes Normal! by shooting_star42
Author's Notes:
One of my shorter chapters, but completely necessary to the plot. The next chapter will be more interesting: the first day of school!
The excitement about Scorpius died down, and the Sorting resumed. Soon, they were at “P,” and the professor (whom, Alice had whispered, was named Professor Vanger) called out, “Potter, Albus!”

Another set of murmuring rose in the Hall, though this time it was interested and friendly. Star saw her friend looking her way, and she smiled and waved to him. Taking a deep breath, Albus stepped up to the stool, and Professor Vanger let the hat fall over the boy’s eyes.

After only a few seconds, the hat shouted, “GRYFFINDOR!” The Gryffindor table erupted into the loudest cheering Star had heard all evening, and Albus hopped off the stool and ran over, grinning. He squeezed in between her and Alice, and Star patted him on the back.

“See, you got into Gryffindor!” she whispered, unable to stop smiling. She knew how worried Al had been about the Sorting, and it made her proud that he was brave enough for Gryffindor. James came up behind his brother, grinning as wide as Star was.

“Congrats bro! I knew you could do it,” he said loudly, patting Albus on the back a bit too hard. Al smiled innocently, then performed his first act of Gryffindor bravery and recklessness.

“Al! That hurt!” James shouted, holding a hand against his face, beneath which a red mark was spreading where Al’s fist had met James’s cheek. James’s indignant expression made everyone roar with laughter, and after a while, he smiled grudgingly.

Returning to his seat with his other second year friends, he was soon joking and laughing again like usual. Star was red in the face from trying to hold in her laughter, for Professor Vanger was staring pointedly at the Gryffindor table with an impatient expression. When everyone finally settled down, the professor cleared his throat and continued calling out names.

Not long after Albus had been Sorted, Fred nudged Star again, murmuring, “The next one I’ve heard of too. The Ratleys are a pure blood family that’s been hiding in France for a while, though they aren’t French. Bad as the Malfoys, I’ve heard. Worse even.”

Interested, Star looked down the line at the person who was to be Sorted after “Quinton, Travis” (RAVENCLAW!) It was a skinny little girl, with a haughty and disdainful expression on her face, as if she were trapped in a room with a bunch of monkeys. Which, Star supposed, she probably felt.

Star knew about the different bloodlines, of course. After she had gotten her letter to Hogwarts, Jazz had had a long talk with her about witches and wizards: how they were different, what was to be expected of her, and what blood meant in school. Star had been told that Jazz had been mocked a lot by the “pure bloods,” because she was Muggleborn. Jazz had stressed very much that a person’s blood didn’t matter, because it all really looked the same on the inside.

Star couldn’t imagine anyone getting uppity about whether you had Muggles in your family or not, but looking at the Ratley girl, she began to believe it. This looked like someone who would scorn you if you had so much as a half-blood in your family. Star waited with surprising interest for the result of the girl’s Sorting.

“Ratley, Rica!” Professor Vanger called, and the girl strutted up to the stool, giving the hat a cold glance before taking a seat, as if it were lucky that it would get to sit upon her noble head. She surveyed the hall calmly, though her nose was wrinkled in distaste. The professor dropped the hat over Rica’s head, but only a second later the hat called, “SLYTHERIN!” Not looking the least bit surprised, Rica gracefully slid off the stool, walking over to the Slytherin table and nodded her head silently to the greetings she received from the older students. Star sighed; hopefully she would never have to meet the disdainful Slytherin.

Once again, Star tuned out the droning professor’s voice, instead concentrating on her rumbling stomach. She stared longingly at her beautiful, shiny, and sadly empty plate, wishing they could finally eat.

Star fell into a bit of a half-doze that helped get her through most of the Sorting, ignoring the occasional cheers from the Gryffindor table and the jostling as they made room for the first years. Finally, an important name was called…

“Weasley, Eric!” Professor Vanger called in the same sharp, yet monotone voice. Though most everyone was tired and irritable from hunger by now, Eric skipped up to the Sorting Hat, taking a moment to bow deeply to the hat before taking his seat, waving cheerily to everyone as the hat covered his face.

In one of the shortest Sortings, the Hat called out, “GRYFFINDOR!” Eric leaped up as if he had just sat on a tack and pranced over to the Gryffindor table, his grin perhaps an inch or two wider then before the Sorting. “Alright, shove off! Make room here!” he called loudly as he reached the Gryffindor table. Before actually letting anyone move, Eric squished himself in between Star and his brother and beamed yet another grin. “Alright there Estella? Bit of a squeeze, innit?”

“Hush you dolt! Rose is getting Sorted!” Fred scolded Eric, jabbing him in the ribs with his elbow.

Eric rolled his eyes dramatically, saying in a stage whisper, “Well we all know she’ll be Sorted into Slytherin!” Another jab from Fred shut him up, just in time for them to hear the hat call out “GRYFFINDOR!” Rose bounced over to the Gryffindor table, her warm eyes bright and excited. Before anyone could protest, Alice quickly made room for Rose, so she could sit in between her and Albus.

“I was so nervous! The hat almost put me in Ravenclaw, then decided I would do best here,” Rose said breathlessly as the last person (Yulton, Zachary”SLYTHERIN) was Sorted. The Headmaster stood up and clapped his hands together once, calling everyone’s attention.

“Thank you, for another delightful Sorting! Let the feast begin!” he called, his freckled face almost cut in half by his wide grin. He clapped his hands one more time, and suddenly the plates were filled with food. Without further ado, the students began to stuff themselves, retrogressing into more animalistic ways.

“ERIC! Get your bloody hands off my plate!” Fred roared, smacking his bold brother’s hand away from his overfilled plate. Undeterred, Eric’s hand began to inch towards Star’s plate, but she rapped it sharply with the butter knife in her hand.

“I don’t think so,” she tried to say in a stern tone, but a giggle escaped near the end. “Eat off your own plate, you nitwit!” Huffily, Eric returned to his own mountain of food , soon filling up his mouth so much he could barely breath, let alone complain. Needless to say, most everyone preferred him that way.

Before long, the feast was spent, and the dishes were wiped completely clean, as if the mere idea of food had never been present. Star felt rather drowsy; her head was bobbing closer and closer to the table as she struggled to keep her neck up. But her head seemed so heavy…

With a clunk, Star’s head in the table, right in between her plate and Al’s. There were a few muffled chuckles, and Eric poked her shoulder, but she was fast asleep. As people got up from the table to go to the common room, the extra space caused Star to slip to the side, so she was leaning against Al. He looked up at Fred pleadingly, mouthing, ‘Help me!’

Without a word, Fred picked up Star and beckoned for the other first years to follow him, not speaking lest he wake up the girl. It wasn’t the first time a first year had passed out at the beginning of the year feast. Sleepily, the others followed him up to the Gryffindor common room; even Eric was too tired to be mischievous. After a few minutes, Fred reached the Fat Lady portrait that was the entrance to the common room, murmured the password, and silently led the others inside. There, he gave Star to Alice, who wordlessly brought her up to the girl’s dormitory.

As she ascended the staircase, Alice could clearly hear Eric mutter to Al, “It would have been so easy for you to kiss her!” followed by a brief scuffle, then a resounding slap. Ah, boys. Greater prats you could never find, Alice thought fondly, shaking her head as she carried her burden to the first year dorm, missing the small, opalescent figure that slipped out of the sleeping girl’s pocket and flew down the staircase.
End Notes:
Well, that's it. Once again, I don't have a beta, so your reviews are really helpful!
Chapter 5-The Day Begins with Draconic Adventures! by shooting_star42
Author's Notes:
Well, it's been a while, but here ya go! Chapter 5, where things actually start moving along.

Minor language warning. Just h*** once or twice, nothing horrible.

~A note to whichever moderator reads this: I wasn't approved before because of Star's pet dragon, Comet. The thing is, Comet isn't, and never will be, a full grown dragon. She is a minature dragon, about the size of an adult's hand and is already at full size. She is relatively harmless, unless annoyed, as it is with most pets. I would take the creature out of the story, but it already was approved in previous chapters. Sorry about that.~
“What the hell is that?”

“I don’t know, but”look out!”

“Crap, the bloody thing is fast! Ouch! It spits fire too!”

“Oh great! Nobody told me the Gryffindor common room had a mini monster!”

“SOMEONE HELP US!”

Star groaned, automatically knowing it was late in the morning. Her memories were a tad bit fuzzy, but an aching head indicated she had hit it at some point. Lovely first day at Hogwarts. And what a lovely way to wake up one the first day of school. Star rolled out of bed and stumbled down the stairs to the common room, where an assortment of shouts and curses were emanating from. As she finally reached the common room, a strange sight met her eyes.

“I think I got it”Argh! No, bloody thing bit me!” James shouted, opening his cupped hands and examining his bleeding finger. Most of the furniture was in disarray, and Al, Eric, Rose, and a few other first years were all running around, trying to catch a little white thing that was flying around and occasionally spitting fire and dive bombing the others.

Still confused, Star’s only response was, “Whah?”

“Star! Blimey, good thing you’re up! Can you help?” Al shouted, ducking as the white creature flew low over his head, snapping at his tousled black hair. Star tried to focus on the creature, and immediately recognized him.

“Comet! What are you doing!” she shouted, her hand going to her pocket where she had last had her. She smacked a hand to her forehead, suddenly remembering…she had passed out at the table, and Comet must have escaped in the time they had entered the common room to her being put in the dormitory. At the sound of her name, the creature froze in the air, allowing James to jump up and clasp her tail in between his hands. Outraged, Comet screeched and once again bit James’s hand, though this time he held on.

“Star, is this bloody thing yours?” He panted, his tone irritable. Star just nodded, completely speechless. Stonily, James walked over to her and dropped the little dragon in her cupped hands, where she immediately curled up and peered over the edge of Star’s fingers in calm wonder, looking as if she had no idea why the others were acting like buffoons.

“Um…good morning,” Star said weakly, earning herself a round of incredulous glares. The few other first years Star didn’t know huffily made their way down to breakfast, and the Potters and Weasleys gathered around her, staring at the ‘monster’ in Star’s hands.

“What is it?” Eric asked at the same time Rose said, “It’s a dragon!” Star sighed, ruffling her hair with a hand and putting Comet on her shoulder with the other hand.

“I’ll explain later; sorry guys. I’ll be down in a bit,” she said tiredly, turning to go back up to the girl’s dorm so she could get dressed. As she slowly climbed the staircase, she thought wryly, Yes, a great first morning.



“Star! Get your arse down here right now! I’m starving!”

“I know Eric! You’re always bloody hungry!” Star hollered back down the staircase as she hopped around on one foot trying to get on her shoe. The other shoe was already on her foot, but untied. Comet watched her from the comfort of her pillow, still looking as unruffled as if she had never been harassing the poor Gryffindor first years. Star had found out that the older students had all run away when the dragon had first attacked; only the first years (and James) had been dumb enough to try to catch it.

“I’ll deal with you later, missy!” she growled to the dragon, who looked up at her with beautiful, lustrous eyes. “I’m serious!” She grumbled again as she tripped her way down the staircase, stumbling down the last few steps and barely managing to catch her balance against the back of a chair.

“Nice one, I’ll give it an 8,” Eric said cheekily, heartily slapping Star on the back. His tone was lighthearted and cheerful, but the slap was a bit harder then necessary; clearing the boy was remembering the morning’s misdemeanor. “Could have been a bit more graceful on the landing though,” he continued as she followed him, Rose, and Al out the portrait hole.

“Where’s James?” Star asked, realizing he wasn’t part of their small group.

“He couldn’t wait for your lazy bum, so he went down to breakfast on his own,” Eric replied, chuckling wickedly. Star stuck her tongue out at him, but couldn’t hold back a laugh. It was hard to believe that she had met these people only yesterday, for she already felt like she was part of a new family. Already, the homesickness she had felt on the train was fading away.

“What’s for breakfast you think? I’m dying of hunger!” Al complained, earning a reproachful look from Rose.

“It’s because you guys slept in so late! The dragon didn’t attack anyone until you guys had come down, and I was waiting for you for ages,” she retorted in exasperation, though Star could tell it was friendly teasing. Al started to protest, but Eric clipped the back of his head.

“Oh, do shut up! You guys can argue later, hmm?” he said in an irritated voice, though once again the tone was underlined with laughter and good intentions. She doubted any of them could seriously get angry at each other.

The four of them took their seats as they arrived at the Great Hall which, despite Rose’s protests that they were late, was still full of starving students. Star sat down in between Eric and a girl who looked vaguely familiar, though Star was too hungry to worry about remembering her now. She eagerly pulled forward the nearest three platters of food, piled up her plate, and began to eat voraciously.

“Looks like Star’s competing with Eric in an eating contest!” The guffaw from James, who was a few seats down, had Star sitting up straight and glaring in the older boy’s direction. Eric either didn’t hear or didn’t care, because he continued to eat his way through his mountain of food.

“I will have you know that I need a good, hearty breakfast, or I’m absolutely useless for the rest of the day,” Star replied haughtily, before daintily returning to her own mountain, which wasn’t quite as big as Eric’s, despite James’s claim.

James muttered something along the lines of “seem pretty useless anyways,” so Star flicked a grape in his direction. Her aim wasn’t too great, but it hit him in the shoulder, causing both Star and the girl next to her to giggle. James looked thoughtful for a moment, as if deciding whether he would seek revenge or not. Apparently, he decided on not, though he gave Star a devious grin that made her think she would face retribution sometime soon.

“Oh, he’s sooooo cute!” the girl next to Star murmured, causing Star to give her an dubious glance. The other girl giggled and blushed, before extending a shy hand. “Hi, I’m Carmen. Carmen Turner. I’m in your dorm, though you wouldn’t have seen, ‘cos you were passed out.” She giggled again, seeming to find that amusing. Star didn’t know what to think about this girl yet, but she decided that there was no point being unfriendly.

“I’m Star. Star Cylene,” she replied, warmly shaking Carmen’s hand. Star started to return to her mostly full plate of food, but a heartfelt sigh from Carmen made her turn and give the other girl a long look. Carmen wasn’t paying attention; instead, she was staring misty-eyed at James. After the boy James was busy talking to nudged James and pointed to Carmen, he turned to look, and gave her a dazzling smile. Carmen gasped, then giggled in a rather annoying high-pitched voice. Star raised an eyebrow.

“Um, are you going to be doing that a lot?” she asked rather bluntly. She normally wasn’t this rude, but it was hard for her to be kind in the morning. Carmen started, as if she hadn’t realized she was acting like an airhead.

“Sorry, but you know, it’s James…” she sighed again, and Star shrugged and once again tried to return to eating, figuring Carmen would go into a dreamy silence. Once again, her attempts to eat in peace were thwarted.

“That’s my brother, Nathan, he’s talking to,” she whispered to Star, as though it were a secret. Star took another look at the other boy and saw that there were certain similarities…okay, they looked almost exactly alike, both having the same straight, blonde hair and shining green eyes.

“Carrie, hush up and eat,” her brother, Nathan said loudly, causing James to snort with laughter. “Your professors aren’t going to forgive you if you’re late because you kept yapping at breakfast!” Carmen stuck her tongue out at Nathan, who replied with an odd, cross-eyed stare. The exchange was so funny to watch, Star choked on her mouthful of fried potatoes, which caused Eric to helpfully pound her on the back.

“All right, that’s enough!” she wheezed, swatting at Eric with a hand. She took a deep breath, glancing up at the big clock in the Great Hall as she did so.

“Blimey! We’re gonna be late!” she groaned, hastily grabbing her bag and looking longingly at her only half-empty plate. I’m gonna die of starvation… she thought moodily, rushing down the length of the Gryffindor table with her bag half slung over her back. She could hear the slap of Eric, Al, and Rose’s feet as they followed her out the Great Hall, down the corridor, and up the stairs for Transfiguration, their first class. Star fervently hoped the professor would be in a forgiving mood.



“I utterly and completely fail at being a witch!” Star groaned, flopping down on a chair in the common room with tears in her eyes. Al, Eric, and Rose trailed after her into the common room, and James was already there, talking to Nathan. Noticing Star’s distressed state, they all came over to talk to her.

“What happened to you?” James asked, sounding perplexed. The other three, who had shared classes with her, exchanged sympathetic glances. They knew exactly what the problem was, but they weren’t sure who should be the one to tell.

Turns out, they needn’t have worried. “What happened? I failed everything!” Star shouted, lashing out at everyone with the anger she felt at herself. “I don’t think I’m even a witch! Maybe I’m just a Muggle, or a Squib! Whatever a bleeding Squib is.” She buried her head in a pillow, trying her best to fight back tears.

“She…she didn’t do so well,” Rose whispered to James, who was now looking totally confused. “In Transfiguration, she couldn’t even get her wand to spark, let alone turn the matchstick into a needle. Professor Lovegood was rather kind about it, but it all went downhill from there.”

“Charms was the worst,” Al took up the story morosely, slouching in a couch across from Star. “That was with the Slytherins, and that’s where she heard ‘Squib.’ She finally got angry enough and sent out a stream of red sparks, but Professor Vanger said that wasn’t what we were supposed to be doing. She tried to explain, but she couldn’t. We don’t know what’s wrong.”

A gloomy pall hung over the group of friends; an island of silence in the otherwise loud and cheerful Gryffindor common room. No one was more upset than Star, who was still struggling to keep from crying. She should have known, or guessed, or something. Hogwarts life was going so great, so something had to come and make it completely miserable. She couldn’t do anything! Even when Eric hadn’t been trying, he had set his match on fire with magic. She had concentrated until she was blue in the face, but nothing had happened. She just as well have been waving around a piece of wood she found on the ground.

Star moodily pulled her wand out of her pocket to examine it. She could remember exactly what old Ollivander had told her when she had chosen that wand. 10”; silver oak wood; mermaid scale core. An unusual choice, Miss Cylene. Mermaid scales are rather finicky, especially in wizard wands. But the wand chooses the wizard…the wand chooses the wizard…Star had thought that ‘unusual’ would mean she would have special powers, or something. Who knew it would just mean her and her wand would fail at magic?

In a sudden burst of rage, Star flung her wand across the common room, clipping Eric on the ear as it passed him. Ignoring his cry of protest, she buried her head in her arms, sobs wracking her body with a suddenness that was quite frightening. The others exchanged worried glances lined with panic: was this just a simple temper tantrum, or was something seriously wrong?

“Maybe…maybe you should get her up to the dorms,” Al suggested nervously, his eyes flicking rapidly from Star, to the stairs to the girls’ dormitory, to each of the others’ faces.

“Good idea,” James said quickly, immediately grabbing Star under her arms to drag her up to the girl dorms. “Nathan, grab her feet! Come on!”

“James, guys aren’t allowed up”“ Rose began, but she trailed off helplessly as James rounded the corner of the spiral staircase, dragging a still-sobbing Star. Seconds later, they could hear James yelp, followed by the distinctive sound of bodies sliding along stone as both Star and James slipped down the stairs-gone-slide. Star was screaming her head off now, and James looked horrified.

“I’m sorry…I didn’t know…Star, come on,” he pleaded, seeing the look of fury on her face. But this latest humiliation was the straw that broke the camel’s back, so to speak. Star’s whole day had been full of shame and disappointment, and she was tired of it.

“You idiot! Of course boys can’t go into the girl’s dorm, you ignorant, self-absorbed moron!” she shrieked, hardly caring that the entire common room was staring at her in amazement. “Even I knew about that, and I’m only a first year! Some Gryffindor you are!” She ended her tirade with a slap across James’s face, then stomped up the newly formed staircase on her own, her face bright red and sparkling with tears.

A hushed silence fell over the entire common room. The air thrummed with questions, confusion, and even fear about the crazy first year. What had happened? Just seconds after the incident, rumors began to circulate. James had tried to kiss her, and she flipped out. Someone had cursed her, and it made her go insane. She was a werewolf, and the full moon was approaching, making her go wild. The gossip grew wilder and wilder, and eventually everyone went up to their dorms, still murmuring about this or that that had happened with Star. Well, almost everyone.

“Star?” Rose whispered softly as she came into the first year dorm room. Carmen padded up behind her, her eyes wide with apprehension. The girls were lucky, in that they got one of the ‘leftover’ rooms, so there was only the three of them. The two walked carefully around to the side of Star’s bed, though the curtain was drawn tightly around it. “Star?” Rose repeated, reaching out a hand to open the curtains.

“Go away!” Star shrieked, her outburst followed by the shoe she had been wearing. The two girls narrowly ducked that one, but its pair hit Carmen on the head seconds later. Clearly, Star wasn’t in the mood to talk.

“Okay. Good night,” Rose whispered, mournfully plodding off to her bed. Carmen followed suit, rubbing her bruised head and muttering slightly under her breath. Before long, their breathing slowed and evened out, clear signs that they were asleep.

Star, however, could not get to sleep herself. She lay awake, staring up at the top of her four-poster bed, tears rolling silently down her face. Now, along with her ineptitude at magic, she had alienated every one of her new friends. Maybe she wasn’t cut out for this magic thing. Maybe she should just leave.

Restlessly, Star slipped out of bed and slipped down the staircase to the common room. She didn’t know what she would do, but she had to move around. Maybe she really would leave. Once she reached the common room, she flopped into her original chair, leaning back her head and closing her eyes. The fire had died down to embers, and it was dead silent.

“Hey, you!” The voice made Star jump up and scream, but a hand over her mouth shoved the cry right back down her throat. “Geez, calm down,” the voice continued irritably. “Or do you want to have another House-wide tantrum?”

Star looked around and saw a familiar face scowling at her a few feet away. Scorpius Malfoy let go of her mouth when he saw she wouldn’t scream anymore and stepped back a few steps, as if she carried some sort of disease.

“What do”“ Star began, but her mouth was too dry. She cleared her throat and tried again. “What do you want? What are you doing down here?”

“You tried to skewer me with that,” Scorpius replied, carelessly tossing a long, thin object onto her lap. It was her wand. For a moment, Star’s face lit up. But her face fell, and she weakly poked it back at the boy.

“Keep it. Burn it. I don’t care. I can’t use it,” she said dully, feeling tears well up in her eyes again.

Scorpius raised an eyebrow. “What would I want with it?” he sneered, shoving the wand back towards Star. “Just go to bed, girl, and keep your outbursts to yourself.” With that, he stood up and marched up to the boy’s dorm, slightly hunched over as if he were ashamed. Before Star could even think of thanking him, he was gone.

Sighing, Star gingerly picked up her wand, half expecting it to shock her or something. Instead, it grew warm in her hand, and glowed a faint, golden glow, exactly as it had done when she had first picked it. A slow, steady smile spread across her face, and she clutched the wand close to her. This was a sign; she was born to be a witch. She just…had to work harder at it than most. Feeling surprisingly well, she hiked back up the stairs to her dorm, quietly slipping in so she wouldn’t wake her roommates. As she settled into bed, Comet chirped questioningly from her bedside table.

“Yes, I’m fine,” she whispered to the little dragon. “Don’t worry, I’m fine.”
End Notes:
Questions? Comments? Reviews always appreciated!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=77002