Harry Potter and the Guards of the Black Tower by IdSayWhyNot
Summary: Lord Voldemort has been destroyed and both Muggle and magical world are at last safe. Nineteen years of blossoming peace and love pass by, but it is not meant to last.
Ominous signs slowly began to surface everywhere and the full Order of the Phoenix is forced to act. What are the meaning of these signs? Who is behind them?
Harry Potter and his friends are ripped from their peaceful lives as the darkness begins to spread once again...
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1154 Read: 1942 Published: 06/25/09 Updated: 07/07/09
Story Notes:
I must warn anyone that wishes to read the novel that it will get quite violent by the end. Although it depicts scenes of explicit violence, it is not that much worse than Jo's own books (But it is slightly more bloody, I daresay).

I'd also like to point out that this is the first book of a trilogy. I would prefer, of course, to submit a complete novel at a time, but I doubt the moderators are willing to do so. It is, for starters, quite long a book to be read within the "10 days policy". Plus, that's not the way they apparently work here. Not sure though, just joined the site...

I would also like to remind the readers that the contents of this novel are based on the complete heptalogy of J. K Rowling's "Harry Potter". What follows, however, is entirely a product of my imagination and a fully original piece. I have admittedly adjusted my personal style to resemble the original pieces. This is by no means an attempt to replace Jo's books, but quite the opposite. It is a tribute to her and every single fan that followed the books religiously.

1. Prologue by IdSayWhyNot

Prologue by IdSayWhyNot
Author's Notes:
This takes place a week after the Battle of Hogwarts. Although I liked the Epilogue Jo wrote, this is more or less what I would've like to see before.

Logically, Jo's epilogue is what follows here ("My" chapter 1). But I can't post it so I suggest you read it or at least think about it and how it finished before turning to Chapter 1.





Prologue: The Last Tribute

The day was as perfect as he could have hoped for. The sky was bright blue and no clouds covered the warm rays of sunlight that bathed the green grounds of Hogwarts. Only a light breeze swept through the hundreds of white chairs. Their occupants turned to look at Harry as he made his way toward the front. The soft red silk muffled his footsteps as he walked, his eyes fixed on the beautiful black stone.

After a week of mourning, passing on news and a lot of private thinking, Harry found himself facing the moment he had been dreading: the speech. Although he knew that way was best, he couldn’t help feeling like he had stepped back in time into Dumbledore’s funeral. Only this time, he was honored and burdened with the task of saying a last farewell to those who had departed this life.

Harry reached the first row of the many rows of white chairs set over the grounds of the school and took his place in front of the huge piece of black rock. The monument was gleaming under the light. It seemed to be emitting a silvery glow that floated gracefully around Harry, reminding him why he was there.

For a moment he gazed at the many names carved on the black stone, each tiny scribble representing a great loss. He let the immense sadness engulf him for a moment, breaking his heart as his eyes found the familiar names.

He forced himself to turn around and face the crowd. On the first row he saw Hermione and the Weasleys. All of them were crying shamelessly and looking at him. The second row revealed most of the members of the Order of the Phoenix that had survived the battle. Among them was Andromeda Tonks, baring the young Ted Lupin in her arms.

The sight of his godson, orphan just as young as he had been, twisted his already damaged heart. They had lost too many friends. The war brought too many tragedies.

Reluctantly he lifted his chin and glanced at the horizon. Hundreds of people had come to say good-bye to those brave ones that stood up to Lord Voldemort. Tears crept out of every eye as Harry scanned the crowd, gathering the courage he needed to speak.

It was time for speech now, and everybody was looking at him expectantly, waiting to hear what the Chosen One had to say, what would happen from there on.

He cleared his throat, pointed his wand at it and then began.

‘It has been a week since the Battle of Hogwarts, and we are gathered here today to pay our last respects to those who died fighting it,’ Harry began as loud and clear as he could.

‘We have all suffered losses, terrible losses. This monument,’ he shifted slightly and waved his hand at the great black stone behind him, ‘is a tribute to them. While their bodies may be gone, and their company we lack, their souls live on. Never forget each and one of you holds them alive in your hearts, for they will only be truly gone when then lay forgotten.’

Harry waited for just a moment to let the words sink in. He had decided to repeat some of the words that someone had once said to him. Although he had not realized at that time, those were the wisest words he had ever heard. The aftermath of his duel with Voldemort had proved it, and Albus Dumbledore had been right all along.

‘Love lingers, friendship prevails and family, it can never be torn apart. Never forget those who died here and why they did. It took every single one of them to bring Lord Voldemort to his end, and they did it without hesitation. For that,’ Harry said and turned to kneel before the black stone, ‘I thank you.’

As he bowed at the dozens of names carved white on the black stone, hundreds of chairs fell softly to the ground and a chorus of ‘Thank you’ s echoed through the grounds of Hogwarts. Every single body and soul laden on the grass with their heads bowed in respect to the brave who sacrificed their lives for the benefit of others.

After a minute, Harry straightened himself up slowly and so did the crowd, sitting on their chairs once again.

‘We enter a new era, an era of peace,’ Harry continued. ‘Let us not forget those who fought to give it to us. Let us not forget our duty in this world. We must restore what was broken, rebuild the relationships that have tarnished and remember their gift. They gave us hope, courage, friendship and, above all things, they gave us love.’

Harry closed his eyes and allowed the tears he had been fighting to overwhelm him for a second. Flashes of memories drifted in and out of his mind: Fred and George giving him the Marauder’s Map, Fred grinning at him while he laid injured in bed, Remus Lupin teaching him how to make a Patronus, Remus asking him to be Godfather, the first day he met Mad-Eye and Tonks, Dobby smiling broadly at him, Albus Dumbledore wearing a ridiculous bonnet, Sirius Black hugging him in Grimmauld Place and Lily and James Potter waving at him from the other side of a mirror.

Harry opened his eyes very slowly, tears cascading down his face and falling fast to the ground. His heart expanded painfully at the thought of them all and it was of them that he thought when he raised his wand to the sky.

Seven silver stags soared out of the tip of his wand and landed at both sides of him, facing the crowd. People gasped and hugged each other at the sight of the most beautiful patronuses they had ever seen, for each of them glowed and shone more brightly than the sun.

Harry turned around and pointed his wand at the beautiful black stone. One by one, the patronuses glided forward and melted at the touch of the monument. One by one, they disappeared like the people that were represented on the stone.

After the seventh vanished, the very sun seemed to waver as the Stone turned from velvety black to immaculate white. It soared gracefully over the grounds and the mourners to land weightlessly beside the lake.

Harry dropped his wand-arm to his side and contemplated the most beautiful sight he had ever laid eyes on: The memorial was as white as marble. Far behind it, a pack of birds soared away from the forbidden forest as the orange rays of sunset caressed the grounds. Even the surface of the lake sparkled white and dazzled him.

Without breaking eye-contact with the stunning view, Harry smiled sadly and spoke to them for the last time.

‘I will forever remember all of you. Always.’
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83579