Encore Un Autre Ete by luinrina
Summary:

Their marriage was arranged, not based on feelings or their own free will. And yet Orion and Walburga were more similar than they could have dreamt.

However, the way to ultimate happiness is long and not always easy to follow.

~*~

I am luinrina of Hufflepuff House, writing for the Weddings Challenge in the Great Hall, prompt one: “The Big Wedding”.


Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 4550 Read: 1499 Published: 06/05/10 Updated: 06/05/10
Story Notes:
Disclaimer:
I don’t own any of the recognised characters. Would be nice though. However, my muse only borrowed them from J.K. Rowling to play.

1. Un: Summer of 1952 by luinrina

Un: Summer of 1952 by luinrina
Author's Notes:
This story is marked as uncomplete as I want to continue in the future. For the moment, regard it as a one-shot because I don't know when the next chapter will be written. I have some vague ideas, but nothing concrete as of yet.

I'd also suggest you listen to Comptine d'un Autre Été from the movie The Fabulous World of Amelie. This chapter's been written while listening to this song play up and down. I believe both the chapter and song fit perfectly to each other.

Last but not least, lots of thanks to my fabulous beta Apurva (DracoGurlFurever). She's done an awesome job on this chapter.

Now, enjoy.
Un: Summer of 1952



It was already late at night when there was a knock on the door. Walburga looked up from where she sat perched on the window sill, staring out at the starlit night. ‘Enter,’ she called softly, but warily. Who could it be at this hour?

The door creaked open quietly, and in came her mother. She carried a candle, the little light barely enough to illuminate the older woman’s face. She looked tired, but at the same time, Walburga noticed the ready mind behind the sleep-clouded eyes. ‘Shouldn’t you be in bed, daughter?’ Mrs Black asked, a little exasperated to see her child still awake. ‘It’s an important day tomorrow.’ At her last word, the old grandfather clock in the entrance hallway started to chime, indicating midnight and the change of date. ‘Or rather, today,’ Mrs Black corrected, once the clock’s chimes’ echo disappeared in the silence of the night.

Walburga kept looking at her mother for a moment longer, then shrugged and turned her head to look back outside. ‘I can’t sleep,’ the young woman “ girl still, really; she was only seventeen years old, after all “ mumbled against the window pane.

Mrs Black sighed, set the candle on a dresser, next to Walburga’s own candle, and walked over to her daughter. ‘Walburga, we talked about this already.’

‘I know…’

‘Then why is the wedding still troubling your mind?’

Walburga took a deep breath and looked back up at her mother. ‘He’s my cousin, Mother. We’re related. Isn’t that… incest?’

Huffing in exasperation to lead the discussion for an umpteenth time, Mrs Black sank into the armchair next to the window. ‘Walburga, marrying within the Black Family has been done for centuries,’ she explained in a tone of which Walburga thought it sounded more rehearsed than from the heart. ‘It only serves to keep the blood pure and the family reputation intact. Besides, you’re not simple cousins. Orion is the grandson of your grandfather’s older brother, so you’re cousins once removed. That’s a big difference.’

Walburga rolled her eyes, but was clever enough to hide the action from her mother; the older woman didn’t like to see such atrocious behaviour from her daughter. ‘That still doesn’t change the fact that we are related.’

‘Related or not, it doesn’t matter,’ Mrs Black returned.

‘You can talk. What if I don’t like him? I barely know him!’

Mrs Black smoothed out a crease in her night-dress. ‘You will get to know him best enough once you’re married. And now stop worrying. Everything will be perfect tomor”’ She sighed, then corrected herself, ‘I mean, today.’ She stood all of a sudden. ‘And you should now sleep or you will look horribly tired at the ceremony and reception. What will the guests say?’

Walburga sighed and slid her legs out from beneath her, coming to stand next to the window. ‘What do I care what the guests think?’

Mrs Black had already gone back to the door, the candle back in her hand to light her way back to her own bedroom. But when hearing her daughter mutter these words, she turned back, the candle pointed at Walburga accusingly. ‘Don’t you dare show improper behaviour tomorrow, or you’ve been a Black the longest time in your life. Do you understand?’

Walburga bit her lip. ‘Yes, Mother.’

Mrs Black nodded grimly. ‘Good. And now off to bed, or I’ll hex you.’ With that, she closed the door, not quite as silently as when she had entered.

Walburga kept staring at where her mother had stood just moments ago, then followed the order. But sleep wouldn’t come so easily. Again and again, Walburga’s thoughts returned to the forthcoming wedding. And whilst she wasn’t against marriage on the whole, she doubted her parents’ choice in a husband. True, Orion wasn’t a bad young man. He had done good service for the Ministry, had upheld the Black Family reputation time and time again, and certainly had treated Walburga decently enough when they had met in the past. But all future meetings would be as husband and wife, and Walburga wasn’t sure if she and Orion were compatible enough for happy matrimony. He would surely want an heir as soon as possible, but Walburga found she was still too young to settle into family life right away. She wanted to go and explore the world, discover what adventures lurked just outside of the house. It wasn’t proper style, as her father and her brother Cygnus used to lecture. But Walburga didn’t really care about others’ opinions. She wanted to live her life to the fullest.

At one point, Walburga must have fallen asleep over her thoughts, because the next she noticed was the sun shining brightly into her face. Walburga blinked, rubbed her eyes, then groaned when she saw how deep the sun still was. It was very early, too early to get up yet.

Or so Walburga thought.

She just finished turning around and thus bringing her face out of the sunlight when there was a knock on the door. It was more of a rap, really. And before Walburga could ask who was disturbing her sleep, the door was pushed open forcefully, and in strode Mrs Black and two house-elves. ‘Good morning, daughter. Up, up, time to get you ready for your wedding.’

Walburga fought herself into a halfway upright position, then groaned. ‘Mother, it can’t be later than seven. Why the haste? The ceremony isn’t before noon.’

Mrs Black huffed and put her hands on her hips. ‘Do you have an idea how long it takes to make a presentable bride out of you?’ She ticked off her fingers while numerating, ‘You need to bathe, have your hair washed, get dressed, and have your hair done. Beauty takes time.’

Walburga groaned inwardly but nonetheless relented.

~*~

Black Manor stood as a dark silhouette against the rising sun. Orion covered his eyes with a hand, watching the older-growing morning from where he stood next to an acorn tree, while deep in thoughts. In a few hours, he would be married to his cousin once removed, and although he remembered Walburga from when she had been a small girl, they hadn’t seen each other in years. She was six years his junior, and even at Hogwarts, where they had both been Slytherins, there had not been many occasions where he had spoken to her. Walburga was basically a stranger to him. But he would do like his father requested and marry her “ for the sake of the Black Family reputation.

A fresh morning breeze blew across the country, letting the ears of the corn sway softly, a gentle sound accompanying the movement. It was relaxing and gave Orion a feeling of being really free, maybe for the last time in his life. He didn’t know what plans Walburga had regarding the marriage, whether she wanted to settle down and become the mother of his children right away. He would have to ask her later. Maybe he could talk her into putting off founding an own family for a few more years and instead travel around a bit to see the world…

From the village across the hills, Orion heard the church bells go. Eight times, they chimed.

It was time.

Determined, Orion set off towards the gate of Black Manor.

~*~

The first guests arrived around ten, but in Walburga’s eyes, it was too early. She herself was only halfway ready for the ceremony, emotionally as well as where her state of dressing was concerned. Mrs Black and the elves had done a remarkable job on her, without a doubt. Her dark hair shone like silk and fell softly over her shoulders. The make-up was already applied, highlighting Walburga’s smooth features. However, she still needed to put on the wedding dress as well as the veil. And the nearer the clock’s indicators moved towards noon, the more nervous she became.

When Mrs Black finally entered her daughter’s room again, it was right on time, before Walburga could break out in panic. ‘Here’s the dress now, child,’ Mrs Black said, before her daughter could utter a word of complaint. Druella, Walburga’s sister-in-law, entered after Mrs Black, carefully carrying the wedding dress and veil. Both had been Mrs Black’s, and she had given it to Walburga with a stern look and lengthy lecture of how to properly wear the dress to make everyone proud of the youngest child of Pollux Black at her wedding day. As if I don’t know anything about etiquette, Walburga scoffed inwardly at the memory.

‘We need to hurry as we can’t let the guests wait for too long,’ Mrs Black said, pulling her daughter out of her thoughts. So Walburga stood, and Druella walked over to help her put the dress on, but before Walburga had a chance to touch the white silk, Mrs Black warned, ‘And be careful to not rip it.’

‘Of course, Mother,’ Walburga said. And she really was as careful as possible while getting dressed. Druella, too, only slightly pulled here or there to cease out crinkles while helping Walburga. Mrs Black, though, hadn’t left the two younger women, instead watching them with hawk-like eyes and an expression that spoke in volumes of what would happen to Druella and Walburga were they to let the dress and veil come to harm. Only once Walburga was fully dressed did Mrs Black leave to oversee the final preparations.

A little while later, Walburga glanced into a mirror, trying to decide whether she liked how she looked or not. She certainly was a beautiful bride, there was no doubt. Nonetheless, she was still unsure about this wedding.

‘Orion will be speechless,’ Druella said quietly, adding the last hair pins to fasten the veil.

Walburga’s eyes met Druella’s through the mirror; she found her sister-in-law looking… envious? Sad? Why would she? By marrying Cygnus Black, Druella Rosier had made a favourable move to ensure her and their children’s futures. Black Manor, Walburga’s childhood home, would upon her parents’ death be Cygnus’. Druella would live in that house until her own death. She needn’t fear homelessness, or having to work to earn money for a living; the Blacks were rich, and Druella’s own parents had given quite a large dowry when their only daughter married three years ago. So what was her problem?

As if Druella read Walburga’s thoughts, she smiled sadly and said, ‘You look so beautiful that Orion would be a fool not to love you.’

Walburga kept staring at her sister-in-law, then her eyes softened. She was seeing Druella in a completely new light. ‘What I would give to make sure that happened,’ she admitted.

Druella looked up, surprised. ‘But you already know him. He’s your cousin.’

Walburga nodded and fiddled her thumbs in her lap. ‘That he is, but I haven’t seen him for years, nor have we had much to talk to when we were still children.’

For a moment, both women remained silent, then Druella squeezed Walburga’s shoulder. ‘I never thought that both our fates were that similar. I apologise for every rude word towards you I ever let fall.’

‘Thank you, but there is nothing to apologise for, sister.’ Walburga returned the smile she received from Druella.

~*~

‘Stop looking as if the world ends today,’ Arcturus Black hissed into his son’s ear. ‘It’s your wedding day, for Slytherin’s sake.’ Orion sighed inaudibly but did as his father requested, forcing a smile on his face. Mr Black nodded. ‘That’s good, but I know you can do even better. So get a grip on yourself.’

Which wasn’t easy, in Orion’s opinion. After all, it was his wedding day, and a groom should be allowed to be nervous on the wedding day. Especially when the bride was his cousin once removed. But his father never seemed to care about his, Orion’s, worries or feelings. All that counted for the patriarch of the Black Family was reputation and etiquette. The Blacks were practically royal, an old and powerful pureblood family. If not for the Blacks, who else was to uphold the wizarding society of Great Britain?

His future brother-in-law, Alphard, stepped up and whispered, ‘They’re ready. We can begin.’ Mr Black nodded in satisfaction and shooed Alphard to his seat, taking position next to his son. The minister, a middle-aged wizard working for the Ministry of Magic, waved his wand, and an invisible choir started singing. The guests fell silent at once and stood in unison, all heads turning to the end of the aisle where Helen Rosier, Druella’s niece, appeared, a little basket full of flowers in hand. She shyly glanced around, then turned her back on the guests, readying herself to run away from the crowd full of foreign people. A few people discreetly laughed when Druella hurried over and crouched down, quietly talking to the girl. Helen looked at the edge of tears, but whatever Druella told her made her forget them and face the guests again. The minister once more waved his wand, and the invisible choir gained volume. With her head held high, Helen started to slowly march down the aisle, stopping every two steps to throw flowers.

Once Helen arrived at the front, her basket empty, she forgot about dignity and hurried over to her parents, who sat next to Alphard in the second row. Her mother hoisted the five-year-old girl up to have Helen sit on her lap, and the girl hid her face in her mother’s neck. Orion watched the family display with a small smile on his lips, wondering whether he and Walburga would have such a lovely daughter of their own one day.

But before his thoughts could drift away any further, the crowd murmured appreciatively when Walburga appeared at the end of the aisle, next to her father. Poros Black held his head high, and his expression told everyone how proud he was to marry his daughter off to his cousin’s son. The invisible choir was by now intoning another song, a little louder, even more festive than the one playing when Helen Rosier walked down the aisle. The music spiralled heavenwards in a series of tones that caused a shiver to run down Orion’s spine. He didn’t know whether the feeling was anticipatory or fearful. Was he afraid of the marriage? It felt that way to him. He was marrying a woman he had known since her birth, but didn’t really know, at all. It was an odd combination, one that shouldn’t be allowed to exist because it was contradictory. But here he was, some mere steps left before Walburga would stand before him and he would lift the veil currently covering her face. He briefly balled his hands to fists, to calm their shaking. Get a grip on yourself, he thought, repeating the words his father had hissed into his ears “ some eons ago, it seemed, even though it could not have been more than five minutes.

And then, Poros Black halted, offering Walburga’s hand to Orion. He diligently stepped forward, accepted the offer, and that was it. He had done the last step before officially being bound to this woman “ girl, really. For she could not have been any older than eighteen, Orion thought upon meeting her eyes after having lifted off the veil. She was still so young. Orion quickly did the maths and wondered how he could ever have agreed to take his six-years-younger cousin once removed as wife.

But it was too late for a turning back, so Orion turned towards the minister.

~*~

The kiss felt… what? Hot? Desirable? Like it was given out of pure, undiluted love? Walburga didn’t know, for the kiss after the words of the minister was too short, too quick for her to gauge Orion’s feelings. She instead tried to read his feelings in his expression, in his grey eyes, but all she met was a barrier stronger than iron. Orion was wearing a mask, hiding his feelings “ if there were any. Walburga felt sorry for him that he felt the need to hide his inner thoughts from her, his newly-wedded wife, but she also very well understood him. All Blacks had been raised with the mask, not only Orion. It was a gift to being able to hide whatever thoughts and feelings from unwanted discovery, but it was also a burden, a curse. Walburga had never learnt how to display her true feelings, instead had always been asked to hide them behind the mask of cool calculation. And even that was too much to show. The perfect Black mask was required to be white, truly non-transparent, and yet appearing to be open to anyone unschooled in wearing a mask of their own and thus reading other people’s masks.

How Walburga hated the Black mask in that moment. For once in her life, she would have given anything “ her reputation, her name, even her magic “ to be a free woman and able to show openly what she felt and desired.

Around the freshly married couple, people started to applause, calls of best wishes and congratulations reaching Walburga’s ears. Her husband sent her a tiny smile, one that never reached his eyes and one Walburga wondered about if it had truly been there or just a product of her imagination. Then he turned around, facing the guests that left the seats and pressed in on the couple, everyone wanting to be the first to congratulate Orion and herself on their wedding. But Walburga didn’t feel it, the happiness she had hoped for. She searched her inner self for the happiness’ hiding place, but she didn’t find it. All she found was emptiness and the fear of the future. Would she be able to love Orion? Really, truly love him? She would have to spend the rest of her life at his side, and she couldn’t imagine how their togetherness was to be like when there was no feeling towards him in her.

‘I’m so proud of you, my daughter,’ Poros Black’s voice whispered in Walburga’s ears, momentarily pulling her out of her thoughts. Walburga turned her head to look in her father’s beaming face. His grey eyes were sparkling with happiness “ the same happiness Walburga desired for herself. But all she managed was a small smile, one that never reached her eyes “ just like Orion’s moments ago. Were she and Orion that much different, then? Maybe their common ancestor, Phineas Nigellus Black, was to bind her to Orion, and him to her. But still, having the same forefather couldn’t possibly mean that Walburga had to be happy about her wedding to Orion Black, could it?

‘I’d like to talk to you, later,’ another voice whispered into her ear, and Walburga looked in the other direction, meeting Orion’s eyes. They were different now, mirroring exactly what she felt. Of Orion’s perfectly non-transparent mask there was nothing left; it surprised Walburga. She nodded, consenting to a conversation of which she had no idea what the outcome would be. But maybe, hopefully, now that she knew that Orion didn’t seem to be happy about this espousal either, there was some way to eventually find her happiness.

~*~

‘… And to conclude, I told my wife that the day where our two lines were to be united again would be a good day,’ Poros Black said. ‘My wife, of course, agreed. And truly, it is a fabulous day, this first August. Even weather itself agrees to this marriage!’

The guests laughed, a few applauded. Orion sent a small smile when he felt a few people look at him. He tried to play the happy groom, even though this task had become more and more tedious the longer the reception went. There had been speeches: by Orion’s father, his friend and best man Abraxas Malfoy, Walburga’s brothers, and finally her father. In-between the speeches, various guests had risen to briefly but loudly toast to the newly-wed couple, wishing Orion and Walburga all the best and brightest. But the more speeches Orion had to listen to, the stronger the wish to be left alone with Walburga grew. He wanted to talk to her, now more than anything.

Orion glanced sideways to his bride. She had been quite silent, not having spoken a word more than absolutely necessary, and definitely not shared a sentence with him, her husband. What did she feel? What was she thinking? He wanted “ no, needed! “ to find out what was going on in her head.

His only chance to end this reception was if Orion himself spoke. So he grabbed a cup with the finest elf-made wine in his family’s possession, stood and raised the cup towards the crowd. ‘Dear ladies and gentlemen, beloved and numerous guests, be assured of Walburga and my sincerest thanks for this incredible wedding and reception.’ People applauded. ‘The gifts you brought we will always hold dear to us. There have been many betrothals, and even more marriages, but I believe to none but ours have appeared so many people.’

‘A marriage of a Black always requires the finest people to come!’ someone called in-between, and a few guests started laughing.

‘May that be the case, dear friend Everard, but a wedding within the Moons is most likely to attract a large guest list, just the same.’ Orion toasted to his other good friend, sitting relatively close by. Everard returned it, humour clearly visible in his eyes. More guests laughed.

‘Whatever people may think or read in the news tomorrow, it was a wonderful day for me, one that I will always remember.’ He turned towards Walburga who watched him. ‘As will my wife, I’m certain.’ More people applauded, several stood and took up their cups, toasting to Orion and Walburga.

While drinking from his cup, Orion met Walburga’s gaze over the cup’s edge, and for the first time in hours, he read emotion in her grey eyes.

~*~

After his speech, Orion had excused Walburga and himself from the guests, requiring some private time. Of course, Everard Moon had to call after them, but Orion ignored these insinuations expertly, instead formally requesting Walburga to accompany him, like he would have asked her to a dance. She had of course agreed, glad she could finally escape her family and the guests who became louder and louder with every bottle of elf-wine that was served.

Orion walked them both to the salon and its fireplace. He took down the pot with Floo powder, offering Walburga a handful. She took it, throwing him a questioning look.

‘Time that I take you to your new home,’ Orion answered and threw a handful of the powder into the fire. He shouted his destination, his childhood home in Grimmauld Place in London, and was whisked away. Walburga followed him suit.

The kitchen, where they arrived, looked like Walburga remembered it, but Orion didn’t linger to show her around. Instead, he gestured her to follow him, then started to walk up the stairs. Walburga once again followed, and although she had already been to the house in her childhood, she walked upstairs slowly, trying to get a good look around. She saw a lot of pictures of her ancestors, especially in the long but small entrance hall, and mounted on plaques on the wall she thought to recognise the one or other of the house-elf that had been in her family’s service.

‘Are you nervous?’ Orion asked, waiting for her on the first landing.

Walburga took another brief look around once she arrived next to him. ‘Yes,’ she then said, quietly, slightly hesitating. She did not yet know how much her new husband valued honesty.

He gave her a small smile. ‘That is completely understandable. But don’t. I feel exactly like you.’ Walburga looked up at him, a bit shyly and surprised. He returned her gaze for a long, meaningful moment, then gestured up another flight of stairs. ‘Follow me, please.’ And she did as he asked her, wondering whether Orion and she shared more than just their nervousness. Maybe… But no, she would not allow herself to be that hopeful. She would fall long and hard if she clung to something that would turn out to have been false hope in the end anyway.

Orion led her to the master bedroom on the second floor, letting her enter the large room before him. The sound of the closing door let Walburga stiffen briefly before she exhaled silently, trying to relax. She knew of her duties that very night, but she was also afraid of it.

‘Please, take a seat,’ Orion offered. ‘I… I’d like to speak with you.’

Walburga turned around and sat down on the chair next to the dresser. ‘As you wish, sir.’

He shook his head and sat down opposite her, on the end of the big double bed. ‘We are married, Walburga, we are husband and wife. Call me Orion, please, not sir. It sounds so… formal. But if there is anything I want from this marriage at this point, it’s to get to know you, to be your… friend.’

Walburga remained silent, letting his words enter her mind. It was hard to believe that what he said was the truth, but his tone and gestures suggested Orion truly meant what he said.

‘This marriage wasn’t my idea,’ he continued after a moment of silence. ‘My father asked me to marry my cousin once removed for a secured future of the Black family. I consented, for the sake of our reputation. But I believe myself to be too young still to truly found a family of my own yet.’

His eyes met hers, and Walburga thought her heart would stop. His words came as a total surprise, but Walburga liked how the situation seemed to turn out. ‘You mean you… don’t want children just yet?’ She noticed how her voice wavered slightly in uncertainty.

Orion watched Walburga for a moment in silence, then he nodded and shook his head no at the same time. ‘Yes, I mean, no, I… I want children, but later. Not now. I haven’t yet done all the things I wanted in life before I settled down and became a father.’ He frowned slightly. ‘Are you sad about that?’

For a heartbeat, Walburga didn’t know if she should answer truthfully, but something told her she should. Orion had been honest with her, so why shouldn’t she? Besides, wasn’t trust exactly what she had been hoping for when learning she was to marry her cousin?

So she answered him, ‘No.’

The relieved smile she received was more than Walburga could have ever been hoping for.

End Notes:
So, what say you? Not what you expected, or did you? Whatever your thoughts, let me know please. I love getting reviews. Thanks for reading.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=86181