Harry's First Halloween by lucca4
Summary:

It's Harry's first Halloween, but the raging thunderstorm prevents an overly eager Lily from taking him out to trick-or-treat. Instead, she, James, and Sirius spend one of their last carefree moments together.


.·ˆ¯)...(¯ˆ·.
¸.·ˆˆˆ(ºvº)ˆˆˆ·.¸
m m

Happy Halloween, MNFF!

Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1467 Read: 2498 Published: 10/31/11 Updated: 11/02/11
Story Notes:
This was originally a drabble that was written a year ago for my monthly SPEW requirement. It's been tweaked a little but still remains nothing more than a lighthearted Halloween one-shot, not meant to be taken very Siriusly.

1. 31 October 1980 by lucca4

31 October 1980 by lucca4



–Pity it’s raining so hard,” Lily sighed, tracing the trail of a raindrop on the window with her finger. –I wanted to take Harry out trick-or-treating.” She glanced down at the little boy lying on his stomach on the floor, and gently gathered him in her arms.

–I, for one, am not complaining,” James said, mock-sternly. He peered out the window from behind his wife, resting his chin on her shoulder. –No son of mine is going outside the house dressed as a bloody fairy.”

Lily closed her eyes exasperatedly. –It was a bumblebee costume, James. Harry would have looked adorable. Don’t you dare say otherwise, not when I slaved over that thing for weeks.”

James grinned. –I love you, darling, but…let’s just say it’s in the public’s best interest for you to be kept far, far away from a needle and thread when it comes to Harry’s Halloween costumes. Promise me you’ll use a wand next year.”

Lily hit him lightly on the shoulder, balancing her son in the crook of her arm as she turned to face her husband. –He’s three months old, James. I doubt he’s going to care what his costume looks like.” She glared at him as he laughed. –Sirius thought it was sweet.”

–Ah, but he only said that because he was worried you’d revoke his godfather privileges if he didn’t,” James replied wisely. –Speaking of which, where is that mangy cur?”

–I told him to come after nine if he’s expecting to open our expensive bottle of bourbon,” she said, smiling slightly. –I want Harry asleep before the alcohol comes out.” James rolled his eyes.

–What’s he going to do, run and grab the bottle when we’re not looking?” He gazed at Harry, letting his son wrap his tiny hand around James’s index finger. –You wouldn’t do that, would you, Harry?”

–Bababa,” Harry replied frankly, his green eyes focused on James, entranced.

Lily half-laughed, her cheeks glowing with pride at her son’s babbling. –You’re such a daddy’s boy, aren’t you?”

–Baba,” Harry whispered. A string of drool hung off his bottom lip.

–You’ve got to deny it, Harry, or your mummy will never forgive you,” James warned mock-severely. –Can you say, ‘Mummy’?”

–Baaa!” the baby shrieked, yanking James’s finger into his mouth and biting down.

–Merlin’s arse!” James swore, tugging his finger back with a yelp. "That hurt!”

–Don’t swear in front of him, James,” Lily ordered reproachfully. –You’re such a wimp - Harry doesn’t even have teeth yet.”

–He might as well,” her husband replied darkly as he inspected his finger. There was a flash of light outside the window, followed by a deep, loud rumbling of thunder. Harry buried his face in Lily’s shoulder with a small cry.

–I think it’s somebody’s bedtime,” she sighed, hiding a smile. She met James’s gaze and raised her eyebrows in the familiar will you take him tonight? look.

–Right.” James ran a hand through his hair and glanced toward the hallway leading to the bedrooms. –Er… Let’s compromise. You put Harry to bed, Lily, and I’ll go entertain Sirius.”

–He’s not even here yet! Plus, you did the entertaining last time…” Lily grumbled, though she took Harry to the bedroom anyway. They both knew that James’s technique of putting Harry to bed usually resulted in giggles and playing.

James struggled to hide his grin of satisfaction, and sat down on the chair. There was a crack of thunder, and then he felt something cold and wet tap him on the shoulder.

–It’s not very gentlemanly to have your wife do all the work, Prongs.”

James nearly flew out of his chair. Wide-eyed, he turned around to face the smirking smile of Sirius, who shook out his damp hair and slipped off his coat.

–Padfoot! You son of a - ”

–Shh. Don’t let Lily catch you swearing in front of Harry,” Sirius interrupted, sitting across from James.

–When did you get here?”

Sirius grinned, tilting his chair back slightly. –A few moments ago, just in time to watch poor Lily leave to put my godson to sleep for the hundredth time.”

James bit his lip guiltily. –Should I go in there?”

–Nah, mate. You’d just trip over something and wake him up.” Sirius leaned the chair back, balancing it on the back two legs. –Trust me. Lovely Lily would not have gone if she thought you could do it successfully.”

James raised an eyebrow. –Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

Sirius snorted and leaned in conspiratorilly. –I forgot to ask… Did Harry get a chance to dress up in his fairy outfit, or did the thunder save him?”

–It’s not a fairy costume,” Lily huffed as she entered the room. She smiled and greeted Sirius with a kiss on the cheek. Turning to James, she added, –He fell asleep immediately. I’ve got a bad feeling that means he’s waking up extra early tomorrow, and it’s your turn to get him in the morning.” James’s groan was drowned out by another grumble of thunder. Lily tensed, listening for Harry’s cries, and relaxed visibly when they never came.

–What’s say we crack open that bourbon now?” Sirius suggested. Lily smiled ruefully as she stood up.

–Only you, Padfoot, could drink that stuff straight and still carry on a proper conversation.”

James frowned. –Sirius isn’t the only one.” Even though she was in the kitchen, they could hear her scoff.

–Oh James, you can barely drink Rosmerta’s mead straight without me having to Apparate you home.”

–She’s right, you know,” Sirius said solemnly, quirking an eyebrow. Lily came out with the drinks and three glasses. –I’ll serve, if you don’t mind,” Sirius added.

–Fine, but just a small glass for me. I don’t want a headache tomorrow, Padfoot,” she warned. Sirius pretended not to hear her and poured each of them a healthy-sized glassful.

–To Hallow’s Eve,” he intoned, raising his glass. The glasses clinked, sloshing a few drops of drink on the table.

Lily sipped her drink and grimaced. –I could never see what was so special about this stuff.”

–You’re joking,” Sirius said, laughing. –I could write poems about this bourbon. Merlin, it’s like velvet on your tongue.”

–You can have mine, then,” she replied, sliding her glass across the table.

Sirius slid it back. –Drink it and enjoy it, Lily. You need it more than I do.”

Lily’s laugh was more like a hum as she accepted her glass. They sat in silence for a moment as the rain pelted the roof from overhead without mercy.

–I really did want to take Harry out tonight,” Lily murmured, picking at an invisible speck on the table with her fingernail. –When I was younger Halloween used to be my favourite holiday.”

–We’ll take him out next year,” James promised, stretching an arm across her shoulders. –All of us - I refuse to let Remus and Peter take our holiday shifts next year.”

–Agreed,” Sirius said, nodding solemnly. –But I’m only coming under one condition, Lily, and that is Harry cannot dress up as any creature with wings that might remotely resemble a fairy.”

–What would you have him be, then?” she countered, as if daring him to say whatever he had on his mind.

–The Grim, of course,” Sirius replied simply. Lily chuckled.

–I don’t know. I rather like the idea of a fawn,” James said.

Sirius wagged his finger at him. –Don’t go all sentimental and fatherly on me, Potter. I’ll be damn--er, darned if I go trick-or-treating with a family of deer.”

–Something simple so I won’t have to spend ages sewing it,” Lily said thoughtfully. Suddenly, her face lit up. –Ooh, James, do you think we’ll have children at our doorstep next year?”

–I dunno. Maybe?” He smiled at her enthusiasm.

–I’ve always wanted to hand out the treats. One of us will have to do that next year - or perhaps all six of us, if we can’t decide on something for Harry. I couldn’t stand it if we have to spend another Halloween cooped up because of the rain.”

Another round of thunder sounded as Lily took a small sip, and from across the hall there was a loud wail.

–He’s awake. Damn it,” Lily murmured under her breath.

James and Sirius grinned and exchanged gleeful looks as Lily ran down the hall.

–Don’t swear in front of Harry!” James called.


End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed that :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90424