This is the Last Time by Equinox Chick
Past Featured StorySummary: It is the Anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts and the magical world celebrates. But for George there's only sadness as he recalls everything he's lost.

Disclaimer: I am not JK Rowling.

Thank you, Julia (the opaleye) for the challenge in Poetry, Anyone? that led to me writing this poem.
Categories: Poetry Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 287 Read: 1026 Published: 05/02/14 Updated: 05/02/14

1. For Fred by Equinox Chick

For Fred by Equinox Chick

–This is the last time!” Mum yelled. –NOW GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!”

We giggled and gurned at her. You avoided the hex she sent our way, but it caught me on the nose and a boil erupted. 
It kept you amused until you realised that you were now detectable,so you faked a boil for your own nose.

–Now let’s see her try to split us!” you whispered, mischief lighting your eyes.

The mirror of mine.



–This is the last time.” 

I was still weak, lying on my bed
and I’d never seen your face so ashen, 
so drained of any smiles, so lost to jokes.

–Last time for what?”


–We’ll be mistaken for each other,” you said, faintly tracing your own ear, and trying not to look at the purple black space of mine.

–Grow your hair,” I said, 
and turned away, 
exhausted beyond your exhorting.




I hold you close. This is the last time. This IS the last time. My heart thuds discordant with the chimed cries of grief surrounding us.

( Not US. NOT US! Not NOW. It’s just ME.)


The last time we’ll be a pair, a half, both of us in trouble because no one could tell who the culprit was. The same side of a coin. There was no difference ... not ever.

And now I can’t remember the last time I heard your laugh. You've faded, so quickly, and yet so s l o w because if I listen, block out the wails around me andreally listen, I know it will reverberate through my mind, through my imaginings as you plunder my psyche.

But there's only silence. A void where laughter should have been.

End Notes:
:( Poor Gred and Forge.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=93254