Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Impossibility of Time Travel by ChibiChibi

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: Once again thank you for the reviews! They are always truly appreciated! You guys make me happy with them and a happy author equals enthusiasm to write some more.

Actually, one more chapter is already finished, but I don’t want too much time to pass between the chapters and since it could take a few more weeks (I’m going on vacation in two weeks) until chapter 16 is finished, I don’t want to let you wait too long for everything that’s coming after chapter 15.

But for now, I hope you have fun with this one! (You will finally find out, who this mysterious woman is.)

Chapter 14: The Welcoming Feast

Harry had been called many things in his young life. He had been the loved son of Lily and James Potter, The Boy Who Lived, simply boy or the nuisance that doesn’t appreciate a single thing. He had been the freak, the hero, the celebrity, the youngest Seeker in a century, the enemy, the champion, the liar, then again The Boy Who Lived and later The Man Who Fought. But never, not even during his time as leader of the DA, had he been called Professor, not until now.

He looked around the Great Hall, chewing his lips nervously. The four house tables were neatly lined up and laid with golden goblets and plates. Lit candles were floating just high enough above the tables so that no one would get burned by accident and the enchanted ceiling showed the starlit sky and the almost full moon.

Remus surely doesn’t feel well tonight, Harry assumed, but this thought quickly fled his mind, as he got nudged into his side by Ron, who nodded at the large wooden doors. His red haired friend looked a bit pale around his nose, so he tried to give him an encouraging smile “ tried being the key word, for Harry thought that the smile had to resemble a grimace. He looked past Ron at Draco, who, even though he appeared to be completely calm and collected, was also a bit paler than usual. The only one of the four time travellers, who seemed to be completely at ease with the current situation, was Hermione, who chatted amiably and excitedly with Christophe Hayden about the upcoming term. Harry knew he should not be surprised, Hermione had, after all, a head start of three years on them.

After glancing at his watch and then again at the doors, he exchanged another, rather desperate look with Ron. Any minute now… As soon as Harry had finished this thought, the doors opened and in streamed students of all ages, who immediately sat down at their respective tables. He noticed at once the two read heads, who were sitting down in the middle of the Gryffindor table - the shorter one with the stocky built and the short red hair must be Charlie Weasley and the other one his older brother Bill. The oldest of the Weasley brothers was already quite tall and it appeared that he had already started to let his bright red hair grow to the length that his mother would come to hate. It was already long enough to be put into a small ponytail with the strands that did not yet fit into the hair band hanging freely down in front of his ears.

“Mom and dad told me that it’s Charlie’s third and Bill’s fourth year,” Ron whispered.

Just a short moment after everyone had settled down, Professor McGonagall walked in through the double doors, followed by a bunch of scared looking first-years. Harry watched, how they all stared at their surroundings and the ceiling in amazement and remembered clearly his own thoughts and feelings, when he had been one of them. How scared he had been then! Afraid of displaying some magic that he did not know yet in front of the whole school or of fighting a troll to be sorted into a house. He truly had not known what to expect, as probably did many of those first-years down there. McGonagall put the four-legged stool in front of them and placed the Sorting Hat on it.

Seeing the first-years and everyone else in the Great Hall looking interested at the Sorting Hat, which would start to sing its song any moment, made him feel a bit nostalgic. Seven years had he sat down there with his fellow students and enjoyed the Welcoming Feast “ well, that was not entirely right. He remembered all too well the beginning of his second year, when he and Ron had missed the train and instead taken the illegally bewitched Ford Anglia of Ron’s father to get to Hogwarts. He had been so sure then that they would be expelled, but instead they had only gotten detention and had to go straight to their dormitories after having eaten in Snape’s office. But after this unfortunate year he had not missed a single Welcoming Feast and Sorting.

Suddenly, the Great Hall, as well as every teacher at the staff table, excluding him, erupted in applause and for a moment Harry was confused, but then saw Professor McGonagall holding a roll of parchment in her hands. Had he actually been that deep in thoughts to miss the Sorting Hat’s song? Obviously… Shaking his head, he now turned his attention to the actual Sorting. First now he noticed that there were fewer students to be sorted than when he had been eleven years old. The number of first-years was about as high as during his last two years at Hogwarts, when Voldemort’s second rise had become public knowledge.

After Zeller, Timothy had been sorted into Ravenclaw and welcomed by his house table, Professor McGonagall removed the chair and hat and took her place at the staff table, just as Dumbledore rose to hold his annual speech.

“Welcome everyone!” he greeted the students with a bright smile on his face. “Since there’s much to say and I see that you are nearly starved after having eaten the whole Hogwarts Express out of sweets, I’m going to say only one thing for now “ diringdibumbum!”

Once again the Hall broke into applause and laughter, but everyone quickly quieted down, as all sorts of food magically appeared on the tables and the students and teachers heartily filled their plates. If the whole situation were different, Harry could have actually enjoyed the Feast, but as it was, he only poked with his fork in his roast potatoes and pork chops. Even the first-years ate like there was no tomorrow, now that the most exciting thing for that night was over. Well, the most interesting thing for them anyway.

Not once did he look up from his plate, but he could hear some students near the staff table talk about the new professors. He was sure that most of them had read the articles in the Prophet and was afraid what they might think of him and the others. If they believed what the Prophet had written about them, then it would be hard to teach them anything. Harry himself knew how hard it was to learn something from a teacher that you hate “ he had enough experience with Snape and Umbridge. He could only hope that those students would give them a chance to prove themselves, no matter how hard it would be, given the current situation.

All too soon for Harry’s liking, the tables cleared up and everyone quieted down, as Dumbledore once again stood up. “Very well, now that we are all sated and tired, I want to give you the usual start-of-term notices. First years, and also some students in the higher years, should note that the Forbidden Forest is, as its name already says, forbidden.” His twinkling blue eyes wandered around, before he continued. “Our caretaker Mr. Filch also asked me to announce that you are not allowed to use magic in the halls between the classes and that there’s a list of all forbidden items in his office, if you care to take a look at it. Quidditch tryouts will be held in the second week of term, which our new Flying Instructor will supervise. He will inform the team captains, when their tryouts will take place. And finally, on a happier note, I will now introduce to you five new teachers.

“First there is Pr ofessor Sybill Trelawney for Divination, who isn’t here tonight. She’d rather preferred to have dinner in her tower, so that the many auras in the Great Hall won’t disturb her visions.” Harry noticed a small tug at the Headmaster’s lips, as he said this, and some of the other teachers snorted, Hermione being the loudest of them. “And then there are four new teachers, of whom you’ve probably already heard and read much “ however, before I introduce them to you, I still need to say some things. I already told the reporters and I tell you again “ none of them is a Death Eater or in any way involved in the attack on the home of Messrs Bill and Charlie Weasley. As a matter of fact, one of them is even related to them. This gentleman is Professor Ronald Weasley, your new Flying Instructor.”

Ron got up with a nervous smile on his face and waved at the students. Some of the girls, mostly the older ones, started to giggle and point at him, and Harry hoped that they would not react like that each time one of them was introduced. Unfortunately, his prayers were not answered, because as soon as Ron had sat down again, it was his turn.

“Your new teacher for Defence against the Dark Arts will be Professor Harry Potter. Some of the older students might still know, if in person or by legend, his cousin James Potter.” The students who had heard of James Potter and his friends and what they had done during their Hogwarts days, applauded loudly, and again most of the older girls started to whisper to their best friends and giggle behind hands. Harry felt his cheeks heat up and only vaguely registered that he got up and nodded at the students, before he sat down again. He was glad, when Dumbledore finally continued. “Professor Eirian Draconis will be your new Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House (Draco received about the same reaction as Ron and Harry and appeared to be openly enjoying it) and Professor Hermione Granger will replace Professor McGonagall at least for the current school year in her position as Transfiguration professor and Head of Gryffindor House.”

This time it was the male population of Hogwarts that erupted in catcalls. And again, contrary to Ron and him, Hermione seemed to be completely at ease with the attention she was getting. Probably again those three years she has on us, Harry thought. At least it seems as if most of the students don’t hate us.

After having introduced them, Dumbledore animated the students to sing the school song (the Headmaster’s voice seemed to be the loudest, as he was singing to the tune of O Fortuna of the opera Carmina Burana), before he wished everyone a good night and the Prefects led the students to their dormitories.

The time travellers also excused themselves quickly, as the other professors sat down at the round table that had suddenly appeared again in front of the staff table to talk some more, and headed to their common room.

~*~

As Harry was finally lying in his warm and comfortable four-poster bed, he replayed again everything that had happened that day. In the morning, he had gotten up early to have one last breakfast with his parents, before they left, despite the fact that he had gotten to bed just a few hours previously. After breakfast, he had looked after little Harry, while his parents had been gathering their belongings and storing them into two large trunks “ one for Lily and James and one for the toys, clothes and other stuff of little Harry.

It was around noon that it was eventually time to say goodbye. Harry, his parents and friends, Hagrid and Dumbledore had been assembled at the magnificent iron wrought gates to the Hogwarts grounds, waiting for one of the carriages. The carriages appeared to be horseless to most of the students, but were in reality pulled by beings called Thestrals that could only be seen by people who have witnessed death. It had arrived just a short time later and after a hug from his mother and a strong handshake from his father and after Hagrid had taken care of the trunks, they got into the carriage and drove off.

That afternoon, Harry, Hermione and Ron had agreed to help decorating the Great Hall for the arrival of the students, but after this had been done “ it had only taken about half an hour “ they had gone to their common rooms. Draco had been there, lying on the couch and reading yet another book about potions, as they had climbed through the portrait hole. As soon as Hermione had stepped inside, she had disappeared in her room and come out seconds later with pieces of parchment, which she started to study the moment she had sat down in one of the armchairs. Harry and Ron had only shrugged and the redhead had gotten his chessboard. Soon Draco had joined them, urging the chessmen on to destroy each other, no matter whose they were, as did Ron and Harry, only for their own figures. Hermione, feeling bothered by the noise of three grown-up men yelling at the tiny chessmen as if they were first-years, had quickly retreated into her room, where she could revise her notes in peace and had first appeared again, when it had been time to go into the Great Hall.

With his thoughts wandering to the Welcoming Feast and the reactions of the students, Harry finally drifted off…

He was running, running through the halls of the castle, past portraits and armours, which started to giggle, laugh or squeak, as he passed them. He looked back and, much to his horror, noticed that he had not lost his pursuers. Screaming and giggling girls, from first to seventh year, were following him, yelling his name. Suddenly, just in time, he skidded to a halt, as huge chessmen were blocking his path. He turned his head to his left and to his right, searching for an escape and, as if by magic, a wall suddenly disappeared and he could now see stairs. Hurrying down the stairs, he arrived in a large hall he had never seen before. The floor was made of black marble and high black pillars were supporting the heavy stone ceiling.

“Oh, my little Harry, being chased by so many girls…”

He turned his head to where the voice had come from and was surprised to see his parents, Lily holding little Harry, just about fifteen feet in front of him. They were both wearing black robes, even his baby-self. “Mom? Dad? Wha…?”

Before he could finish the question, the girls had caught up to him and two of them were pushing him onto a throne that had not been there before. Dumbfounded he sat there and watched how the girls, now also all wearing black robes, joined his parents and knelt down.

“I’m sorry, my Lord.” All of sudden another person was kneeling in front of him, dressed like the others and wearing a white mask, between him and everyone else. “I tried to get in, but I wasn’t able to convince him to hire me.”

“You’ve disappointed me,” Harry heard himself say and his own, hissing voice sent a shiver down his spine. “Crucio…”

The curse was barely louder than a whisper, but it still had the desired effect. The man on the ground started to scream and to writhe, but got up again into a kneeling position, as the curse was lifted. “My Lord,” he panted. “I probably have other tidings to make up for my failure. What the Prophet has written is true. Dumbledore has employed the four strangers as teachers for Defense against the Dark Arts, Potions, Transfiguration and Flying. I also saw one of them and he has a remarkably resemblance to James Potter. Dumbledoretold me that they are cousins, but I don’t know of any Potters that look so much like him. I think this other Potter might pose a threat.”

“What do you suggest?” The hissing voice sounded at least partly pleased with this development.

“The old fool offered to tell me, when a spot is open that meets my requirements.”

“Then I think you know what you have to do.”

“Yes, my Lord.” The man struggled to get to his feet and then walked through a passage that the other persons in the hall had cleared for him, with a slight limp.

“Oh, and Severus?” Harry heard himself call. The man stopped and turned around. “You know that, if you disappoint me again, it won’t be you to suffer the Cruciatus.”

Severus Snape’s whole body tensed and an image of a petite and pretty woman with straight ash-blond hair and a small girl with black hair flashed in front of Harry’s inner eye.

With this image still fresh in his mind, Harry woke up with a start. He tried to even his breathing and concentrated to protect his mind. The mind numbing pain in his scar slowly faded and Harry finally managed to relax. It had been a long time, since he had been in Voldemort’s mind like this and he was not used anymore to how his body reacted to those visits. Maybe he should start again to use Occlumency to keep his mind out of Voldemort’s and probably also the other way around “ he still had no idea how the connection in this time worked. Or maybe not. Maybe studying the Voldemort from this time as long as he could might help him to defeat the one from his time, if “ no, when, they finally found a way to go back.

On all accounts he had found out one important thing “ Snape was already a Death Eater. Unfortunately he had not found out if Peter was one, too. But maybe he sill would, if he did not use Occlumency. This was just another reason for not telling his friends and Dumbledore about the connection to this Voldemort “ they would just tell him to shield his mind. However, Harry thought that he was finally able to discern if something really happened or if it was just a trick. And the image of the woman and the girl that Voldemort had received from Snape was real.

Shaking his head, Harry slipped out of the bed and got dressed into black jeans and a black sweater. A quick glance at his watch told him that it was three o’clock in the morning, too early to get up, but he also could not go to sleep anymore. So, after having put on his boots, he grabbed his wand, muttered, “Lumos,” and sneaked out of his room and the common room.

The whole castle was silent and out of habit Harry wished he had his invisibility cloak with him, when he suddenly remembered that he was now a professor and did not need to justify himself. This thought brought a small grin on his face, which only got bigger, as he saw a cat rounding one of the corners, probably now going to Filch to report that someone is wandering the halls. And Harry was right “ just a few minutes later, Filch came around another corner, lantern in his hand and muttering, “Yes, my dear… Someone is close, someone is…”

“Hello Mr. Filch,” Harry greeted him friendly, trying hard to keep the mischievous smile from his face.

“Oh, Professor, I’m sorry… I thought you were a student… You haven’t seen one by any chance?” Filch’s somewhat hopeful face darkened, when Harry shook his head. “Well then, come on, Mrs. Norris, there must be some students out at night…” he muttered and went back the same way he had come.

Once again shaking his head, Harry went on for a few more minutes and finally stopped in front a wooden door, which he opened. At once the musty smell of books reached his nose and he walked through the shelves until he reached the section of the yearbooks. He held the tip of his wand closely to the spines of the books to read the years, pulled the ones from 1973 to 1978 out and lit one of the lanterns on a table. The chair grated against the stone floor as he pulled it out and when he opened the first book dust whirled up, causing Harry to sneeze once or twice. “Bless you,” he mumbled to himself and finally began to leaf through the book.

Since he carefully looked at each and every picture it took some time until he finished one and then another. It was in the third book that suddenly the same ash-blond woman he had already seen in Diagon Alley and this night in his vision, only five years younger, looked up at him from one of the pictures. For a moment, there was a confused expression on her black and white face, as he stared at her, but then waved at him, smiling. He smiled back and then looked at the name written below the picture “ Clara Kensington, Ravenclaw. Best N.E.W.T.s results: Outstanding in Potions, Herbology, Ancient Runes; Exceeds Expectations in History of Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfigurations.

And then, beneath those facts, there was another note. Harry glanced at another picture and saw that there was also one, before his eyes focused again on Clara. It was a message from the person’s (in this case Clara’s) best friends “ We’re sure we’ll never understand why you chose him, but may you find happiness with Sev.

So it was true. This woman and Snape had been an item at school, even after he had graduated, since he must be about two years older than her, and were now married with a child. And another one was on its way, he remembered seeing her and the small girl in Diagon Alley. Now this was news he had to digest first “ he had never known that Snape had been married. However, at least now Harry knew where he had seen her before “ it must have been during one of his Occlumency lessons, when he had unexpectedly penetrated Snape’s mind. He only wondered what had happened that they had broken up. She had seemed so happy, when he had seen her. Maybe she had found out about her husband being a Death Eater “ she certainly did not look like one and he had not seen the Dark Mark on her arm. It was possible, but he would most likely never find out the truth. After all, it was Snape’s business, not his. Harry had wanted to find out who this mysterious woman was and the things that he had found out were highly interesting. But he would not tell his friends about it “ if the Snape of his time wanted to keep Clara and the girl, Jocelyn, a secret, then so be it.

With this thought in mind, Harry closed the book, put the others back into the shelves and clamped the one of the year 1975 under his arm. After having extinguished the lantern, he once again lit the tip of his wand and made his way back to his room through the dark halls of Hogwarts, hoping that, after having calmed down from his vision, he would be able to get some sleep before he had to rise again. The next day promised to become strenuous.