Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Impossibility of Time Travel by ChibiChibi

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I’m soooo sorry for this incredibly long delay… Will you believe me, when I tell you that I wanted to have this chapter finished by New Year? *cringe* But again real life interfered and first now that the winter term at university is over and I have written all my finals, I once again found the time and motivation to write… However, this chapter is again longer, so I hope this will somehow make up for the long wait… But thank you so much for your reviews and your support! You’re great!

And now, finally on to the story:
Chapter 26: Turning Points


It was just past dawn the following morning, when Harry was finally on his way back to the time travellers’ common room, feeling completely drained. He had barely slept that night, or, to be completely honest, not at all, even though the Room of Requirement had provided him and his parents with beds, as they had gotten tired.

But it was understandable.

Harry and his parents had talked until almost five o’clock in the morning, when suddenly the first bed had appeared right next to his mother and they had decided that it might be better, if they continued the talk another time. They had covered the most important things anyway. Harry’s life at the Dursleys “ which Harry had tried to soften as much as possible for his mother’s sake “ his seven years at Hogwarts, including everything noteworthy that had happened and then later his work as Auror. With his parents’ questions, it was no wonder that it had taken that long.

Then, after they had gone to bed for at least a few hours, Harry had lain there in his bed wide-awake and no matter how much he tossed and turned, he hadn’t been able to fall asleep. So he had just given up and accepted his fate of another sleepless night, staring at the ceiling of the Room of Requirement, which had, upon his wish, turned into a replica of the ceiling in the Great Hall.

First when the first sunbeams had fallen into the room, Harry had, with a sigh, gotten up, ready to leave his parents a note, but that hadn’t been necessary. Obviously, James and Lily had had similar problems like Harry, and used the first light as an excuse to get up. They hadn’t exchanged many words on their way to the Entrance Hall, where Harry had wanted to see them off. Harry didn’t blame them. They had had some time to think about everything and it was only logical that they now needed some more time to sort through everything before they could talk again. However, they left with the promise that they would see each other again the following day, Christmas Eve, at the Burrow.

“Future’s past,” Harry mumbled and the portrait swung open. He trudged inside, just wanting to disappear in his own room and at least try to get some sleep, but again, sleep was denied. Ron and Hermione were sitting in the common room, obviously waiting for him, according to the expectant looks that appeared on their faces and the fact that they actually jumped up from their armchairs, when they noticed that he was there. Tired and with dark bags underneath their eyes, they were waiting for him to make the first move. Apparently, they had just gotten as much sleep as he had.

Finally, after just a few seconds, Hermione couldn’t contain herself any longer. She ran up to him and threw her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly for a long moment. “How did it go?” she asked softly, as she let go of him again.

Running a hand through his unruly hair, Harry sighed, but there was a small smile on his lips, which obviously appeased his friends somewhat. “Better than expected. I told them everything.”

“Everything?” Hermione asked.

Harry simply nodded. “Truly everything. And they took it rather well… But,” he suddenly said, hoping to get the attention off him, “what about your parents, Ron?”

Ron shrugged. “Same as yours, I expect. Only mum was a bit emotional, well, a bit more so than usual, but you know her.”

“That’s good.” Harry let out a relieved breath. Somehow it was still surreal to imagine that their parents finally knew. It’s been almost five months since the spell had dropped them in this time, five months of keeping secrets, and this was now finally over. He looked at Ron and Hermione and, for the first time in weeks, maybe even months, allowed a truly happy smile on his face.

Returning the smile, Ron stepped up to him and put his arm around his friend’s shoulder, pulling him to the couch. “Come on, mate… Sit down. You had a long and rough night.”

“But so did you,” Harry replied, as they sat down, he and Ron on the couch and Hermione in the armchair across from them. “You not only had to talk to your parents, but I also had to leave you to deal with Dumbledore on your own on top of that. He must’ve been angry that I just left. It was rather rude.”

“Not really,” Hermione began, but upon the pointed look Ron threw her, she grinned sheepishly. “Alright, he was a bit angry. But… I think he understood your reasons, even though he would’ve wanted you to stay and listen to his explanations.”

Harry grinned at her mischievously, the loss of the extra weight he had carried since their arrival lightening his mood considerably. “Well, that’s what I’ve got you for, isn’t it, ‘Mione? It’s just like in old times at school.”

Ron barked out a laugh, clapping his best friend on the back, while Hermione simply smirked back. “I see… And I guess you now want to see my class notes? Or do you want me to do your homework?”

“Class notes should suffice,” the dark haired young man replied with a simple shrug. “Or you could simply tell me what Dumbledore said.” Harry truly enjoyed this easy banter with his friends. It was almost like in old times.

“Alright,” Hermione said, immediately sitting up straighter and going into what Harry and Ron had dubbed teacher-mode, after Hermione had taken up the position as Transfiguration professor at Hogwarts in their time. “What Dumbledore told us was truly fascinating. This concept of time travel that Lewthwaite and Voldemort used is so simple and complicated at the same time. The complexity of the magic that is evoked is enormous, but how it is done”“

“Hermione,” Ron gently interrupted her, with an exaggerated groan and a grin on his face. Harry noticed that he was grinning as well. This was truly Hermione, as she lived and breathed. “As fascinating as this is, but could you please narrow it down to the most important facts?”

The young woman huffed, rolling her eyes and muttering something that sounded suspiciously like ‘boys’ under her breath, before she looked at them pointedly. “I believe the most important fact is that it is possible for us to return home, but I guess Harry already knew this. It’s the ‘how to get home’-part that needs some explaining. Actually, it is, as I’ve already said, quite simple. What we need is the spell, a potion and an object, no matter what. It works kind of like a Portkey, just a bit more complicated. The spell is Reverto Tempus, and as I’ve said, we could use any object as Portkey, for the lack of a better word. It’s the potion that’s troubling us a bit. Some of the ingredients are extremely rare, it’s very difficult to brew and it takes six months until it is finished. And we can only use the spell on a new moon’s night.”

Harry appeared to be lost in thoughts for a moment. Six months was a long time. But actually, it didn’t matter. According to the memory they had watched, this spell would take them back to exactly the same moment they had disappeared. They wouldn’t lose any time in their present, they would only gain more time in this past. More time that he could use to fulfil the oath he had taken the moment he had found out that their presence wouldn’t change anything in their time. He had still six months to kill Voldemort here.

“Who’s going to brew this potion?” he asked eventually, looking into her eyes. “You?”

Shaking her head, Hermione answered, “No, it’s too difficult. I don’t think I can do it…”

“But who then?” Harry asked, slightly confused. Somehow, his exhaustion slowly caught up with him. “Who’s better at potions than you and knows about our situation?”

“That would be me,” a voice suddenly sounded from one of the doors of the private chambers. Draco was standing there, leaning against the doorframe with his arms lazily crossed over his chest. Despite the early hour, he was already completely dressed and looked as if he had had a full night of sleep, unlike the other three time travellers.

“Of course.” Harry gave Draco a challenging smirk. “Do you really think you can do this?”

As response, Harry only got a snort, followed by, “This potion is difficult, but not impossible to brew, Potter. Hermione could do it, if she wanted to, but she thinks that she might make a mistake and ruin it, which I personally highly doubt.”

There were two things in Draco’s statement that would have confused Harry only few weeks ago. The first one was that Draco had called Hermione by her first name, the second that he praised her abilities as witch. However, even though the praise was small, it seemed to have the desired effect, as a light blush appeared on Hermione’s cheeks.

“Whatever…” Draco smirked, when he saw the blush on Hermione’s face. He walked over to her and sat down on the armrest, absentmindedly putting his arm around his girlfriend’s shoulder. “Have you told him the rest already?”

“The rest?” Harry raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

“Look, mate,” Ron began hesitatingly. “You’re not going to like this, but Dumbledore asked us to not tell anyone besides our parents about us. He still wants to keep things quiet. This…” the redhead swallowed hard. “This also includes not going after Wormtail.”

The moment those words had left Ron’s mouth, Harry saw red. “What?” he roared, jumping up from the couch and pacing up and down in front of them like a caged lion. “Why? Tell me one good reason! Just one!”

“He-he didn’t give us one,” Hermione whispered tentatively. “He just said that he wanted to keep things going as they were, that it would be better this way…”

“And you didn’t question him?”

The three other time travellers winced at the deathly calmness in Harry’s voice. “It’s Dumbledore, mate,” Ron tried to calm him. “I’m sure he knows what he’s doing.”

This old fool! Harry thought angrily. He was doing the same mistakes all over again “ only that he hadn’t done them yet. Without looking at his friends, Harry turned on his heel and walked out of the common room, ignoring their cries and pleads for him to stay and not do anything stupid.

His feet carried him along the familiar hallways on their own volition. Harry wasn’t seeing anything, his mind was a mess of thoughts and emotions. He couldn’t believe this! He really couldn’t believe this! They could change this time! They could right all the wrongs that had caused so much suffering and pain in their own time! And yet Dumbledore was doing something so incredibly stupid!

In no time he had reached the gargoyle blocking the way to the Headmaster’s office. However, before he could even say the password, the gargoyle sprung aside to reveal the spiral staircase leading up to the office. With clenched fists and gritted teeth, Harry climbed the stairs and didn’t even bother to knock, before he threw the door open. The anger in him only flared up anew, when he saw Dumbledore sitting behind his desk with a calm look on his face, obviously waiting for him.

“Harry,” he said gently. “I’ve already been expecting you.”

“Albus,” Harry said outright. “Just tell me, what the bloody hell is going on?”

The Headmaster breathed a quiet sigh and motioned with his hands for Harry to sit down, but the young man didn’t react to it at all. “Harry, if you had stayed last night”“

“No! Don’t you say that if I had stayed last night things would be different! Don’t tell me that you hadn’t already made up your mind about further proceedings before we even went into this memory! I’ve had enough of this!” He slammed his fist on the desk, and lowered his head, squeezing his eyes tightly shut.

“Harry, please…”

Shaking his head, Harry tried to get rid of the suspicious moisture in his eyes. He had finally thought that he could do something, but once again, his hands were bound. “We could’ve done something, Albus. We could’ve gotten information from Wormtail and then I would’ve gone out to find Voldemort and kill him in this time once and for all. I can do this, I know it. I’ve waited too long.”

“I know, and I’m sorry it is so hard for you, Harry… I can’t imagine how heavy the burden on your shoulders has to be. But you also have to understand my position,” Dumbledore tried to explain. “If everything goes according to your plan, you will be gone in about six months. If you haven’t defeated our Voldemort by then, or if you fail, and if we captured Wormtail, and your parents didn’t switch Secret Keeper, what would happen then? Imagine Voldemort wouldn’t be able to find your parents, if he didn’t mark you as his equal, who would be able to stop him? Of course, there would still be the Longbottom child, if we didn’t hide him as well, but would you wish your fate on another child?”

“No,” Harry whispered, defeated, and slumped down in one of the armchairs in front of the desk. “No, I wouldn’t want Neville to have to go through the same as I. I just… I just thought that I could save them, my parents, Sirius… I wanted my other self to grow up as a normal child…”

“Which is understandable…”

“Do, do my parents know already?” Harry asked, finally looking up again and into Dumbledore’s eyes. There was no twinkle in them.

“I talked to them, right after you said your goodbyes in the Entrance Hall. They just left a couple of minutes before you stormed into my office, actually.”

“And how did they take it?”

To his surprise, a quiet chuckle escaped the Headmaster’s lips. “Quite surprising actually. I had expected the same reaction you had from your father, with your mother trying to calm him. But the roles were reversed. Your mother yelled at me “ I believe the temper of a redhead must have gotten the best of her “ and your father just sat next to her, and thought about what I said. In the end, it was him who accepted my reasoning and convinced your mother to do the same.”

Harry allowed a grim smile on his face. “This is your final decision? To not do anything?”

“Yes, Harry… And once again, I’m sorry… However, if we receive any information that might help you to vanquish Tom in this time, I will tell you. But we have to keep up appearances, I hope you understand this. The more knowledge about the future we reveal, the more curious Tom will become about you. This is not something I want to risk.”

Rising from his chair, Harry turned his eyes away from Dumbledore and instead looked at Fawkes’ empty perch. “I’m not happy about this, not at all, but I will abide to your plan, for now. If I see a chance to do something to make this time better, I will take it. And you won’t be able to stop me.”

“I wouldn’t have expected anything less from the man I have gotten to know over the last few months,” Dumbledore simply answered. “But you should go back to your rooms now, Harry. You look exhausted. Try to get some sleep… and tell your friends to do the same. You won’t have any duties today…”

“Thank you Headmaster,” Harry replied with a nod. He went to the door and opened it. However, before he stepped through, he turned back one more time. “Albus… The eavesdropper, it was Wormtail, wasn’t it?” The grave look on Dumbledore’s face was the only answer Harry needed for this question.


~*~


The rest of the day passed without any more surprises “ be it pleasant or unpleasant ones. After Harry had left Dumbledore’s office, he had returned to their common room and apologized to his worried friends for his behaviour, before retiring to his room, claiming to be tired. To be completely honest, he hadn’t thought that he would be able to fall asleep, with his mind still being the jumbled mess that it had been the whole night and morning, but only a few minutes after he had climbed into his bed, only dressed in a pair of boxers and an old T-shirt, and closed his eyes, he was already sleeping like a log.

Harry first was seen again at dinner in the Great Hall, but no one talked about anything that had transpired within the last twenty-four hours, mostly due to the fact that there were still the other professors and a handful of students present. But for this, Harry was grateful. He was still angry with Dumbledore and didn’t feel like talking about this at all.

The next morning, the morning of Christmas Eve, dawned brightly and every one of the time travellers knew what day it was. Tonight they would all have dinner at the Burrow “ including Draco, who now didn’t have his excuse anymore “ which would, knowing Molly Weasley, most likely turn into a huge feast with all of them being at least a few pounds heavier afterwards.

Harry, Hermione and especially Ron were looking forward to this, however, Ron was also slowly getting nervous. He hadn’t been at the Burrow yet in this time and this would be the first time that he met his whole family from the past, well, almost whole family. One member was still missing and wouldn’t be there for another seven and half months. But it was still exciting enough to make him so nervous that he could only eat a few bites at breakfast and didn’t touch his lunch at all.

However, Harry was inwardly grinning like a Cheshire cat, watching his best friend act like that. Even though he was also a bit anxious. His parents knew now that the Weasleys were his surrogate family and they would be there tonight. James and Lily had of course been grateful to hear that their son had some people in his time that he could turn to if he had problems and who saw him as a part of their large family. But what would happen when those two parties met each other again after those startling revelations from the day before? Harry was sure that Ron had also told his parents about their part in Harry’s life. He had absolutely no idea how they would act around each other, knowing this.

To distract himself from those worries, Harry instead thought about the news that Molly Weasley wanted to share with them all. He and the others already had a pretty good idea what this was about, but they didn’t want to spoil the surprise. Besides, they might still be wrong.

Before they knew it, Harry, Ron, Hermione and a reluctant Draco were standing in Dumbledore’s office, each of them with a fistful of Floo powder in their hands. As soon as Ron had scattered the powder in the fire, it turned green and he stepped inside, the colour in his face vaguely resembling the fire. After a clearly articulated, “The Burrow!”, Ron was gone and the fire had turned again its normal golden red colour. Hermione and Draco followed after him and Harry was last. But before he left, he looked at the Headmaster and allowed a small forgiving smile on his face. “Merry Christmas.” It was Christmas, after all.

Never having been able to step out of the fireplace gracefully after Floo travel, Harry this time also stumbled and nearly fell, if Ron hadn’t been there, ready to catch him. Harry gave him a grateful grin and had just enough time to straighten up, before he was already engulfed in a tight embrace. His face was full of red hair, but it was a different shade of red than the Weasley red, so it could only be one person. “Hey mum,” he whispered, so that only she could hear it.

“Hey Harry…” She smiled at him, as she let go, but the smile was a sad one. “I’m sorry… I tried to… but…”

“It’s okay, I understand…”

They didn’t get to say more, because at the next moment all he could see again was red, only this time it was definitely a Weasley. Molly Weasley was hugging him, just like she would be hugging a son, so he had been right with his assumption that Ron had told her about Harry’s relationship to their family. This was soon followed by a strong handshake from Arthur, a quick hug from his father and a couple of shy waves from the Weasley children.

Harry couldn’t suppress a grin, when he saw the apparently innocent looks on the twins faces, already suspecting that it was just a farce and that they had already, even at their tender age of almost three years, plotted some mischief. Four and a half years old Percy Weasley was standing behind them, glaring at their backs with a suspicious look on his face. Charlie and Bill were lingering near the stairs, having just come down upon hearing that their guests had arrived, and both of them looked a bit uncomfortable at having their teachers in their home. Only the youngest, Ron, didn’t seem to be disturbed at all, as he was sitting on the floor with a bottle in his mouth.

“So, that’s almost all of our guests, isn’t it?” Molly said amiably, as she picked Ron up from the floor and settled him on her hip.

“Almost?” Ron asked confused.

“Yes,” his father answered. “We’re still expecting one more… Ah, here he is…”

The flames in the fireplaces flared up green again and only a second later a sooty and slightly shabby looking person stepped out. He pulled his wand out of his sleeve and muttered a quick cleaning spell to make the soot disappear. Finally, Harry recognized this person and a huge grin spread over his face. “Remus!”

“Hello everyone,” Remus Lupin greeted them friendly. “I hope I’m not late…”

“No, not at all, Remus,” Molly Weasley told him and quickly ushered him inside. “The others have just arrived a minute before you… Now, please take off your cloaks all of you. Arthur, Bill, Charlie, take their cloaks!”

Immediately a buzz of activity broke out in the Burrow and soon, after those that stayed over night had been shown their rooms, everyone found themselves seated around the magically enlarged wooden dining table, which was laden with all kinds of delicious food. Harry and the others didn’t know where to begin to fill their plates and where to stop, and Harry tried to take a bit of each. While he was waiting for Ron to pass the mashed potatoes, he glanced at his mother and Molly Weasley, who were sitting next to each other. His worries immediately disappeared, as both women were getting along greatly, comparing recipes for the food on the table and talking about raising children. Another glance at their husbands told him that the men were also engaged in a heated discussion, most-likely about “ knowing Arthur Weasley “ Muggle things.

Dinner passed in a pleasant atmosphere, as even the children warmed up to the strangers “ or their professors in Bill’s and Charlie’s case “ and began to talk to them about all sorts of different topics. Soon Harry found himself talking with Draco and Charlie about different Seeker moves and comparing stories of Quidditch matches with them, even though the latter still seemed to be a bit reserved and quiet, while Ron was beginning to joke around with the twins and Hermione talked animatedly with Remus and Bill, with Percy listening to them, acting as if he were already a grown up and at the same time looking over his shoulder every couple of minutes to make sure that his little brothers were still safely occupied. He had never noticed the piece of parchment that had been glued at his back, on which was a child’s drawing of a foot, which repeatedly performed a kicking motion, because Hermione had removed it with quick wave of her wand upon seeing it.

All in all, it Harry felt as if he had always belonged to this family “ even in this time.

After the feast “ yes, it really was a feast, Harry decided, as his black pants were getting slightly tight around his stomach “ during which Molly Weasley had insisted that everyone took at least one second helping of everything, they retired into the living room area.

However, before Ron, the twins, Percy and little Harry, who were getting sleepy, were brought to bed, Molly and Arthur rose from the couch they were sitting on and Molly cleared her throat. “Everyone, first of all I want to thank you all for coming tonight. It’s been a pleasure to prepare all of this for you.”

“We need to thank you, Molly,” Remus replied kindly. “Your dinner was fantastic and I believe the others all agree with me on this point.”

Murmurs of consent were heard all around the living room, including a satisfied burp from little Ron, which caused some laughter. Molly smiled brightly. “Thank you, again… But actually, Arthur and I wanted to use this special moment to share some exciting news with you.” One hand gently grabbed Arthur’s and the other rested on her stomach. “I’m pregnant. Around August, there will be another child living and laughing and playing and crying in the Burrow.”

Immediately everyone except for Draco jumped up to congratulate the again-parents-to-be. While they were waiting for their turn, Harry, Ron and Hermione grinned at each other knowingly, seeing as they hadn’t been that surprised by this news. The grin was still on their faces, as they shook hands with Arthur and hugged Molly, so that Arthur eventually asked them, “Is there something you’re not telling us?”

The grin on Ron’s face even widened and he winked at his father. “No, nothing at all…”

Of course, after this news, the conversation turned to the yet unborn child. It was a short time later, after the smaller kids had been brought to bed and only the two teenage boys and the adults were left, when James asked, “Have you already decided on a name?”

“Yes, we have,” Arthur told him, and the others, proudly. “We have decided to call him Lance.”

Ron snorted into his drink, causing the others to look at him curiously. Only Harry, Hermione and Draco tried to look unaffected, which was actually pretty difficult for Harry, as he had a hard time to not burst out laughing.

“Sorry,” Ron said, smiling sheepishly, his hand flying to the back of his head. “Swallowed the wrong way.”

The others didn’t look convinced, but didn’t ask further questions, much to Harry’s relief. First, when the conversation was once again in full swing and drowning out all the other noises, Harry noticed that Ron was leaning over to him. “Lance?” he asked, shaking his head confused. “How did they get from Lance to Ginny?”

Hermione, who had obviously listened to what Ron had said, also inched closer to them, as usual with a perfectly logical explanation at hand. “Lance is a short form of Lancelot, one of the greatest and most trusted knights of King Arthur in the Arthurian legend. As you know Ginny is a nickname derived from her real name Ginevra, which in turn is derived from Guinevere. In the Arthurian legend Guinevere was Arthur’s wife, but she was also in a love affair with the knight Lancelot. I guess this is how they got from Lance to Ginny…”

Harry and Ron only shrugged at each other - that made sense, after all “ and a short time later, Arthur Weasley was standing in front of them, with a slightly mischievous grin on his face. “Tell me, Ronald,” he said, his eyes twinkling similarly to Dumbledore’s. “I’ve never asked before, but did your father teach you how to play chess?”

This immediately got Harry’s, Hermione’s and especially Ron’s attention, who was now looking at his father with an at least equally playful grin on his face, rubbing his hands gleefully. “Of course he did. And he still regrets it.”

“He does, doesn’t he? Well then, what about a short game between the two of us to see, if what your father has taught you is enough to defeat me.”

“Alright,” Ron immediately agreed, already getting up from the couch. “Get your chess board and then I’ll show you how humiliating it is for people who dare to play against me. You may even have the white pieces.”

Arthur chuckled good-naturedly. “Is this a threat?”

“Oh no… It’s a promise.”

Only a few minutes later, father and son were sitting across from each other in front of a chess board. The black pieces didn’t seem to know what to make out of this stranger who appeared to know what he was doing. At first they had given him advice, but quickly noticed that he didn’t need it, as he expertly moved his pieces over the chess board with the ease of someone who was a master in his art.

Arthur noticed this as well and Harry saw that the older man was slowly getting nervous, as Ron once again captured one of his white pieces. In the meantime, everyone expect for Draco, who had said that he didn’t need to watch a game of which he already knew the outcome and that he’d rather go for a short walk outside to get some fresh air, was gathered around the two players, watching them with rapt attention.

Harry had already been witness to a few of those infamous chess games between Ron and Arthur, and just like all the other times, Ron won in the end, even though it was a close call. He knew that no one could challenge his friend like his own father in this game and that Ron always relished in those games, finally meeting someone who hat the potential to beat him.

Just after the game had ended, Molly, Charlie and Bill disappeared in the kitchen and came back a couple of minutes later with some glasses of eggnog. They were passed around and Harry thanked Charlie with a smile, as the boy put a glass down in front of him. It was already close to midnight and Remus, James and Lily had already announced that they would be leaving soon. The time travellers would have also left around that time, if Molly and Arthur hadn’t offered that they could spend the night at the Burrow.

As the clock chimed midnight, Harry raised his glass along with everyone else who was present and wished his family and friends a merry Christmas. However, before he could drink from his glass, he felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around. Remus was looking at him with a serious expression on his face, motioning with his head to the door. Harry nodded and put his untouched glass on the table, before he followed the other man outside.

As soon as the door was closed behind them and the noises from inside couldn’t reach their ears anymore, Harry asked Remus, “What did you want to talk about?”

Remus cleared his throat uneasily and avoided Harry’s gaze. “Lily and James talked to me today and told me about everything that has happened in the last two days. Of course the only thing they were allowed to tell me was that you could return home and that nothing would be changed in your time. Actually, what I wanted to say is that I’m happy for you…”

“Thank you,” Harry said softly, even though he was sure that this wasn’t the only thing Remus wanted to talk about. And he was proven right, when, after a few minutes of silence, during which Harry had looked around in the darkness and tried to find out if the outside of the Burrow was any different from his time “ which it wasn’t, as he concluded -, Remus cleared his throat again.

“Harry… In your time… I know I probably shouldn’t ask this… But… Am I in your life?”

For a moment Harry thought about this, not knowing if he were allowed to answer that, but in the end decided that this wouldn’t hurt. He wouldn’t say anything about his parents’ fate, Sirius or Wormtail. Remus was only asking about his own life. “Yes,” he said eventually. “You are in my life. And you are very important to me.”

Remus breathed an audible sigh of relief and ran with his hand through his shaggy hair. “I’m glad… I was really worried, with the war and everything. So much could have happened...”

Harry tried to force a smile on his face. Remus was right. Much had happened.

“What’s this? Is the party over already?” a voice suddenly asked, as a dark figure came into view. The light of the lantern outside revealed him to be Draco, back from his walk.

“No, we’re just getting some fresh air, just like you did,” Harry told him. “You stayed away long. You missed the eggnog.”

“Sweet Merlin, no!” Draco cried with fake outrage, but just a second later there was once again his typical smirk on his face. “The only thing that’s made this night bearable.”

Harry chuckled at the blonde’s antics. No matter how hard Draco wanted to convey that he was still the same as he had been in school, he was different now. The proof for this was sitting inside. Hermione would have never begun a relationship with Draco, if he hadn’t changed. And Harry himself had been witness to most of those changes in character; after all, Draco was his partner. “Well, maybe Mrs. Weasley still has some left for you.”

The two young men exchanged another smirk before Draco disappeared inside again.

“Well, do you also want to go back or do you maybe want to take a walk?” Harry asked.

“I think I’d rather fancy a walk. I want to enjoy it as long as possible,” Remus said with a wistful look at the sky. Harry followed his gaze and noticed unhappily that the full moon was close.

“You’re right,” Harry said smiling, hoping to cheer him up. “It’s a beautiful night.” And this was true. There was no single cloud to be seen at the sky, which was littered with stars. If Harry tilted his head slightly, he could even find Sirius, the Dog Star. The moon was already shining brightly, even though it wasn’t full yet, lighting the landscape around them in an unearthly glow, which was only magnified by the white snow on the ground and on the trees. “Let’s make the best of it.”

The dark haired man smiled at Remus, who returned the smile gratefully. Side by side they left the house behind and began to walk.


Almost one hour had passed, when Harry returned to the house, alone. Remus had taken his leave about half an hour before, claiming that he was really tired and should return home. But Harry hadn’t felt yet like going back, so he had wandered around the familiar grounds for a bit longer, lost in thoughts and memories about his happier times at this place.

Rubbing his hands to warm them after being out in the cold for so long, Harry let the door fall shut behind him, as he stepped inside. Much to his surprise, he was greeted with loud laughter; however, it wouldn’t have been that surprising if the laughter had come from anyone but Draco. But as it was, his partner was standing in the middle of the living room, his face flushed and his hair dishevelled, as he recounted one tale or another from his days at Hogwarts “ Harry thought that it was from Hogwarts, because he believed to have heard the names Crabbe and Goyle “ for everyone to hear, almost doubling over in laughter, as he reached a punch line that only seemed to exist for him, before he launched right into another tale.

With a raised eyebrow, Harry joined his friends again and sat down on the couch on his old spot. Looking at the table, he saw his glass standing there, but it was empty. With a sigh, he looked again at Draco, his expression changing from amusement to worry. The Draco he knew never acted like that. Leaning over to Hermione, who was also staring at the scene in front of her with wide disbelieving eyes, he whispered, “Did Draco drink my eggnog?” When Hermione simply nodded, he continued, “And how many more glasses did he drink after that?”

“Not one,” Ron answered instead of Hermione, as he slumped down on Harry’s other side. “That’s the curious thing. He simply drowned your drink and then got more and more…”

“Crazy?” Harry suggested, when Draco suddenly pulled Molly Weasley up from the armchair she was sitting in and whirled her around as if they were dancing to a tune that only he could hear.

“That’s enough,” Hermione suddenly muttered and got up. She determinedly strode up to Draco and grabbed his hand, suddenly having a sweet smile on her face. “Draco, I think it’s time for us to go to bed, don’t you think so?”

“Bed you say?” he replied, eyeing her with a look in his eyes that Harry didn’t really like. Draco’s grey eyes were stormy and roaming her body as if he’d wanted to devour it.

“Yes, bed,” Hermione repeated and gently, but resolutely pulled him along to the staircase. Draco was resisting a bit, apparently not at all eager to retire already, and Harry just wanted to help Hermione, when Draco suddenly began to stumble, as he reached the first step. “Guys?” she called exasperatedly, as she desperately tried to keep her boyfriend upright.

Shrugging, Ron and Harry joined her, each on one of Draco’s sides, and put his arms over their shoulders. “Come on, Draco,” Harry muttered. “Let’s get you to bed.” With combined forces, the two young men managed to hoist a by now half asleep Draco up the stairs and into the room that had been prepared for him. They tried to drop him on his bed as gently as possible, which succeeded only partly. Harry winced, as Draco’s head almost hit the bedpost, but the blonde didn’t notice anything anymore. He was completely out of it.

“Thank you, guys,” Hermione murmured, her cheeks slightly red with embarrassment.

“You’re welcome, ‘Mione,” Harry told her and Ron nodded. “But please don’t be too hard on him in the morning. Maybe he had just needed one night like this.”

“Maybe,” Hermione repeated quietly, gently stroking a strand of white blond hair out of Draco’s face. He murmured something incomprehensible and turned around, burrowing his face in the pillow. Sighing, she forced a smile on her face. “I think I’ll also head to bed now…”

“Alright,” Ron said. “You know where your room is, don’t you?”

“Don’t worry, Ron,” Hermione chuckled. “I think I can find the room where I’ve spent most of my summers during school. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, ‘Mione,” they chorused, as Hermione climbed the stairs to her room and Ron and Harry went back downstairs, where the others were still waiting.

As they arrived there, Harry saw that his parents were again dressed in their cloaks and that his other self was peacefully sleeping in his mother’s arms. “You’re leaving?” he asked them, having to suppress a yawn.

“Yeah,” his father answered. “It’s been a long day and night. Actually, it’s been those last few days that are slowly taking their toll. And it’s Christmas now, another exciting day. Sirius, Remus and… Peter will be coming over and we will celebrate together.”

“That’s nice,” Harry played along, even though he cringed inwardly. He couldn’t imagine how his parents would feel, having Peter over, knowing what he was and what he would do, that he would, in the end, kill them. “Then, have a good trip home and a nice day tomorrow.”

“I’m sure we will,” Lily said, as she hugged him to say goodbye. “You’re so strong,” she whispered into his ear, before she let go and eventually said louder, “Merry Christmas, to all of you. We will see each other again soon, I hope.”

After Lily and James had said goodbye to everyone, they left via Floo and Harry and the Weasleys decided that they would also turn in. There was no doubt that the children would be up early the next morning to open the presents Father Christmas had brought them, and they wanted to be at least somewhat awake for this event.

So, after a quick goodnight, each of them retired to their rooms “ Harry and Ron sharing, much to their surprise, the room that Molly and Arthur had added to be little Ron’s room. They joked a bit about this, while they were changing, how they would always end up in this room in the end and that it looked so different now with the light blue walls, when they were so used to the glaring orange colour of their time.

When they were lying in their beds “ two cots about which Molly Weasley had made a big fuss, when she had shown them this room, forcing the two young men to calm her down and say that they wouldn’t mind sleeping on them “ Ron extinguished the candle. Soon Ron’s snores filled the room and a short time later, Harry was also already fast asleep.


~*~


The following morning, Harry was roughly woken up, when the door to their room was thrown open. He blinked a few times and shook his head, trying to get rid of the remains of sleep still clinging to his consciousness. He felt as if he had just gone to bed a few minutes ago, but the sun shining into the room told him otherwise. It was already well past dawn. It was a wonder that the kids had let them sleep that long.

“’Mione? Whazz goin’on?” Ron muttered groggily, sitting up in his bed.

First now Harry looked to the door and saw that it was really Hermione standing there. But she looked terrible. Her face was incredibly pale and her eyes were wide, filled with tears. Immediately, he was wide awake and out of bed, his wand in his hand. “’Mione?”

“It’s… it’s Draco,” she cried, finally allowing the tears to fall. “He won’t wake up. And he’s burning up!”