Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Unknown Power by Potter123

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter One
Unexpected Visit


It was a warm summer morning in the small town of Little Whinging as the sun started to rise above the rooftops. As the people who lived at Number four Privet Drive awoke to start their day, a black haired boy sat already awoken and gazing out the window. Harry Potter just sat at his window staring at a younger child crossing the street with his mother and father holding his hands. A small tear slid down his cheek as he thought about his dead parents and Godfather.

"It's all my fault," he said out loud while slamming his fist on his desk. "Sirius would still be here if I didn't go to the Department of Mysteries."

Over the last two weeks, Harry had excluded himself from everything. He stayed up in his room doing anything he could to prevent him from thinking about Sirius. He managed to finish all the homework that would be due to his professors when he returned back to school and had also found time to read old spell books from previous years. He never made an appearance for any of the meals made by his aunt and had also received a dozen letters a day by his two friends Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, who kept mentioning Sirius in every letter they sent, but he could not find the power to write back.

As he walked over and sat heavily down on his bed, he quickly felt his eyes begin to get heavy and could not hold them open another second.


***


He was walking through a small, dark forest as a thin layer of fog covered his feet. He walked along a narrow dirt path when he felt something pull at his shoulder. He quickly spun around to find himself face to face with Sirius.

"Sirius," he yelled running over and giving him a hug as tears escaped his eyes. "I missed you."

For some reason Sirius pulled back from the hug and started shaking his head while three other figures came out from behind him. A messy haired man slowly stood at Sirius's right while a red-headed women stood at his left followed by young man. Cedric Diggory and Lily and James Potter stood beside Sirius, all shake their heads at him.

"You killed us Harry,"said the ghostly figure of Sirius. "You are the reason we're all dead."

"NO!!" yelled Harry as he felt tears running down his cheeks.

"Yes," said Cedric coldly. "If you had just taken the Triwizard cup like I told you, I would not have been killed."

"NO!!" yelled Harry louder as he covered his ears with his hands.

"Yes, Harry," said Lily turning her back on him.

"How could you do this to us?" asked James turning his back on him also.

"I didn't mean tooooo!! I'm s-sorry!!" he yelled falling onto his knees.

"It's a little late for that," said Cedric as he turned to follow Lily and James.

Lily, James and Cedric walked back into the darkness leaving him and Sirius alone. Harry looked at Sirius while he looked back, without another word, Sirius turned around and followed his two friends and Cedric into the darkness, leaving Harry alone by himself. Everything around him started to fade away as Harry yelled louder and louder for Sirius. The darkness around him was replaced with a skinny necked women who was shaking him violently.

"Harry! Harry, wake up now!" she yelled shaking him harder.

He quickly jumped up and backed away from his aunt who was staring at him as if he were a ghost.

"Sorry," he said quickly putting on his glasses.

They sat in an uncomfortable silence for what seemed to be hours before Aunt Petunia spoke up.

"Vernon wants to speak with you. He's waiting for you in the kitchen," she said Harshly as she walked out of the room leaving Harry alone.

Harry slowly stood up from his bed and got a fresh pair of clothes and walked out of his room, across the hall and into the small bathroom.

He quietly turned on the hot water as the nightmare replayed in his mind over and over again. He slowly stepped into the tub letting the hot water cover every part of his face.

"It's all my fault," he said to himself as the hot water ran down his body. "If I wasn't born, Sirius would still be here and so would my parents and Cedric."

A few minutes later, he turned off the water and stepped out of the tub dripping water on the warm tiled floor as he quickly wiped himself with a towel and got dressed in his jeans and a white overly large shirt that used to belong to his cousin, Dudley. He quietly left the bathroom as he put his dirty clothes back in his room and slowly made his way down the stairs and quietly out the front door before anyone could stop him.

"I don't feel strong enough to deal with them today," he said to himself as he crossed the street. He slowly walked down the street and turned the corner onto Magnolia Road as his dream about Sirius and his Parents replayed over in his mind again. He walked over to the playground and sat down heavily on the swings.

As he sat quietly, he remembered seeing Sirius's Animagus form emerge from the bushes across the street in his third year. Tears quickly formed in his eyes as he said to himself again, "It's all my fault. If I wasn't born Sirius, my parents and Cedric would still be alive."

He gazed at the bushes for what seemed like hours before getting up. "I should probably get back to Privet Drive before Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia find out that I left the house," he said softly to himself as he walked down the street toward Privet Drive.

He walked quietly down the street looking at little children playing and having fun with their parents while running up and down their yards. He couldn't help but smile at the children having fun with their parents and could only wonder if that's what it would be like if he was little and still had his parents?

He continued down the street slowly. He soon found himself standing at the front door of Number Four Private Drive. He hesitantly opened the front door where he met a very angry looking Uncle Vernon.

"Where did you go, boy?" he snarled as he gripped Harry's shoulder with his large hand.

Uncle Vernon quickly pulled Harry into the small kitchen where he saw his cousin sitting at the table eating fruits while his aunty sliced them up for him.

"Where have you been?" asked Aunt Petunia as she jumped up from her seat and stood beside her husband.

"Out," he replied.

"I have been waiting for almost one hour for you," said his Uncle releasing his grip on Harry's shoulder.

"Well, I'm here now. What do you want?" asked Harry slowly glancing out the window.

"Today, you need to cut the grass in the front of the house and do the dishes for Petunia," replied Uncle Vernon as he glared at Harry.

Harry slowly looked up from the window and met his uncle's eyes and softly replied, "Sorry, I don't feel like working today."

Uncle Vernon, who obviously managed to here him, turned a dark shade of purple. "Petunia, did you hear what he said?"

"Yes," she replied as she nodded her head and turned to watch as Harry looked back out the window.

"You will do what I told you if you wish to remain living under this roof," yelled his uncle walking in front of Harry and staring him squarely in the eye. "Just because you lost that mad, murdering Godfather of yours that doesn't mean you don't need to contribute to this family."

Harry suddenly felt a surge of anger pass through his body as his eyes flashed dangerously. "If I don't want to work today than I don't need to to," he said coldly. "And don't ever call my Godfather a murderer!!"

Uncle Vernon stuck out his arm grabbing the front of Harry's shirt and forcing him up against the wall without removing his hand.

"You will work or I will throw you out on the street. And nobody will be able to stop me," yelled his uncle lifting up his fist ready to strike.

Harry quickly looked over at the table to find Dudley in a fit of laughter at the scene taking place in front of him.

"You do not have the power to throw me out," said Harry with a smile as he returned his gaze to Uncle Vernon. "Maybe you should have that whale over there work for once."

Uncle Vernon quickly swung his fist out of rage at Harry, hitting him directly on the cheek.

"Don't you ever insult my son ever ag---"

Harry watched in shock as his uncle flew across the room and hitting into a wall causing him to fall to the floor as his son and wife ran to his side.

Harry slowly turned his head to see a dark robed figure with his hood covering his face standing in the doorway with his wand pointed at Uncle Vernon.

"Nice to see you again, Dursley," said the man in a hissing cold voice.

Harry could see the look of terror in his uncle's eyes as he turned around to see the hooded figure.

Voldemort met my uncle before? Harry thought to himself as he backed up against the wall with his eyes open wide with fear and his hand ready on his wand.

"Thought I told you to leave Potter alone," said the hooded figure as he stepped closer to Uncle Vernon with his wand aimed at his chest. The man slowly pulled back his hood to reveal . . . Mad-Eye Moody?

Uncle Vernon just stood frozen as Moody moved closer to him.

"Moody," Harry said softly to himself as Moody's wand was now an inch from Uncle Vernon's chest.

"Harry," said a voice behind Moody. "Come, were taking you back with us right now."

Harry slowly walked over to his former Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and gave him a hug. "Lupin?" asked Harry with a confused look on his face. "Why are you guys here?"

"Well it seems that someone didn't send an owl to us saying that he was okay," said Lupin with a sad look on his face as he saw the purple bruise on Harry's cheek and the blood running down from the corner of his lip.

There was a loud crash from behind them. Harry quickly whipped out his wand and pointed at a pink headed women laying on the floor beside his trunk.

"Harry!!" yelled Tonks standing up, brushing herself off and jumping into his arms giving him a tight hug. She quickly noticed the injury he received from his uncle and felt the smile from her face disappear.

"So, where are we going?" Harry asked Tonks as tears began to form in her eyes. "The Burrow?"

Tonks had no time to reply because Moody walked in holding out one of Aunt Petunia's favorite tea cups and leaving a very scared looking family behind him. "Hurry up, we don't got all day," he growled at them. They each placed a finger on the tea cup as Moody spoke again, "Three . . . two . . . one . . ."

With a flash of light and a loud and distinctive pop, they disappeared from Privet Drive and was now spinning through a whirlwind of colors.