Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Unknown Power by Potter123

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 6

Centaur Training




Harry slept quietly in his bed as Lupin, Tonks, Hermione, and Ginny watched him closely. Lupin and Tonks sat on the edge of Harry's bed, while Ginny and Hermione sat on Ron's bed with their legs crossed.

Mrs. Weasley, Bill, and Charlie had brought Ron back to Headquarters. Dumbledore had gone to the Ministry, while Moody, Snape, and McGonagall stayed to patrol the castle. Harry had blacked out in the middle of his and Dumbledore's conversation, and was then carried up to his bed.


"Tonks," said Lupin softly. He was sill looking at the pale, unconscious boy in front of him. "Can I have a word with you in the common room?"


"Yeah," replied Tonks with a distracted voice. "Sure."


Tonks and Lupin quietly left the Boy's Dorm, leaving Hermione, Ginny, and Harry alone. Hermione and Ginny sat in silence, neither of them took their eyes off Harry.

After a few minutes in silence, Hermione looked up. "Ginny," she said quietly. "Can you tell me exactly what happened to Harry?"


Ginny hesitantly took her eyes off Harry, and took a deep breath. "I don't know what happened to him," said Ginny softly. "Tonks wanted me to get him because dinner was about start. When I walked in here, Harry fell to the floor and started shaking."


"Did he happen to say anything?" asked Hermione with a sad face.


"He said lots of stuff," replied Ginny. She thought back to what Harry had said while Voldemort was attacking Harry's mind.


"Oh," said Hermione in a bare whisper.


"Hermione do you think Harry's going to be okay?" asked Ginny softly.


"I'm sure he'll be fine," replied Hermione with a forced smile.



***




Why do I feel so weak? thought Harry as he rubbed his forehead. He slowly opened his eyes to find Hermione sitting on the edge of his bed.


"Good morning," said Hermione cheerfully, although she looked really sad. "How do you feel?"


"I feel like I fell from my broomstick," he mumbled back. He slowly looked around the room for a minute before resting his eyes on Hermione again. "Where's Ron and Ginny?"


"Well," started Hermione, "Ron's back at Headquarters, and Ginny's in the shower."


"In the s-shower?" stuttered Harry.


"Yeah," said Hermione with a wide smile, as she look down at Harry. "Is there a problem with that?"


"No," replied Harry quickly, while looking down at his lap. He and Hermione sat in silence as he avoided looking at her. "What time is it?"


"Just a bit past nine," she replied.


Harry slowly slid off the bed, and unsteadily made his way to his trunk. He pulled out a pair of clean clothes, and walked toward the boy's bathroom. He came back out a few minutes later to find an empty room. I wonder where Hermione went? thought Harry as he slowly walked out the door and down the staircase.

As he walked into the common room, he found that it too was empty. Hermione probably just went to go get breakfast suggested Harry.


Harry slowly took a seat on the large armchair, and gazed into the now extinguished fire. He could remember seeing Sirius' face in the fire during the Triwizard Tournament. He felt tears forming in his eyes as he continued to think about all the help Sirius had given him.

It was all forgotten as soon as a loud crash echoed from a nearby window. Harry quickly jumped out of the armchair, and turned around to see what had caused the noise. He immediately froze at the sight of what had made the noise. He couldn't believe what he was looking at.

The front body of an eagle and hindquarters of a lion. It was a very large griffin.


Harry took a closer look at the griffin and noticed it was carrying a letter. Harry cautiously opened the window for the griffin to enter the common room. The griffin quickly flew in through the window, and dropped the letter in Harry's hands. Harry quickly opened the letter, and read the parchment inside.


Human I wish to speak to you immediately!! Meet in the same clearing, and bring no one. You may ride on the Griffin's back.


Harry re-read the note three more times, before looking up at the griffin. This must be very important, he thought. Harry quickly remembered what Magorian told him. If you refuse, let me just make it clear that you would not want me as an enemy.


Deciding to meet the centaur, Harry slowly stepped forward and laid a hand on the griffin's back. When it didn't make any sudden movements, he swung his leg over and held on tightly. The griffin flew back out the window, and into the fresh morning air. Harry held tightly onto the griffin as it sped through the air doing plenty of spins. In a matter of seconds the griffin was already diving into the sea of green trees that covered the forest.


"I see you've got the letter," said a chestnut colored centaur as Harry and the griffin came into the clearing. "I need to have a word with you human."


Magorian slowly walked along a nearby path, as Harry followed closely behind. As they walked through the dark forest, the Griffin flew up ahead and out of sight. What does he need to talk to me about? wondered Harry as they walked deeper into the forest.

"Are you ok, human?" asked Magorian without looking at Harry.


"Pardon?" replied Harry in a confused voice.


"I know of the attack on your mind last night," said the centaur. "That's why I have asked you to come here today."


"How'd you know that my mind was attacked last night?" said Harry as he walked faster to see the centaurs face.

"In time you will know," said Magorian as he came to a stop.



***




"Ginny?" called Hermione as she knocked on the Girl's bathroom door.


"Yes Hermione?" answered Ginny.


"Harry is awake. I just thought you would like to know."


Within in seconds the door burst open, and Ginny came running out in a towel. "Is he okay?" asked Ginny as she ran toward the door. However, Hermione grabbed her by he arm and swung her around. "Hermione what are you doing!!"


"Ginny," said Hermione with a wide grin. "Wouldn't it be appropriate to be fully dressed first?"

Ginny looked down to realize she was in a towel. Her face immediately turned a bright shade of red.

"You wouldn't want to make Harry faint," teased Hermione.


"I wish," said Ginny under her breath.



***




A few minutes later, Ginny and Hermione walked up the staircase to the boy's Dorm. "Where's Harry?" asked Ginny as she looked around the empty room.

"He's changing his clothes," replied Hermione as she walked over to the boy's bathroom and knocked on the door. "Harry?"


There was no answer.


"Harry, Ginny's here to see you," said Hermione as she knocked on the door again.


Again there was no answer.


"HARRY JAMES POTTER!!" yelled Ginny as she kicked the door. “You’d better answer me or I’ll Bat-bogey Hex you!!"

Hermione pushed open the bathroom door, to reveal an empty room. “I thought you said he was changing his clothes Hermione," said Ginny as she closed the bathroom door.


"He was," replied Hermione as she walked back down the staircase with Ginny. "Maybe he went down to breakfast with Lupin and Tonks."



***




Harry and Magorian walked into a small clearing. The Griffin was sitting to one side of the clearing, and hundreds of centaurs sat at the other. "Magorian," said a dark colored centaur. "Is the human ready?"


"Ready?" interrupted Harry. "Ready for what?"


"Ready to begin your training," answered Magorian as he stared unblinkingly into Harry's eyes.


"I'm ready," said Harry as he thought about the contents of the prophecy.


"Good," said Bane. "Now start running."



***




"HERMIONE!!" yelled Ginny. "WHERE IS HARRY?"


"I don't know," replied Hermione with a worried voice. "But I would appreciate it if you didn't yell at me."


"Sorry, Hermione," apologized Ginny softly. "I'm just really worried about Harry."


"I know, Ginny. So am I."


"We've checked the whole castle and it's past lunch already," said Ginny as she and Hermione walked down a staircase.


"Maybe he's out by the lake," suggested Hermione.


"But Hermione, he knows we're not supposed to leave the castle without Lupin or Tonks."


"We should at least go and look by the lake," said Hermione as she grabbed Ginny's arm and pulled her in the direction of the Entrance Hall.




***





Where are they? Harry thought as hid behind a giant boulder. They haven't attacked in ten minutes.

Harry quickly ran to a tree with his wand held tightly in his hand. He looked around to see if anything had seen him. As he looked around, he felt something shoot against his cheek.

He instinctively waved his wand and yelled, “STUPEFY!!” Harry got shot multiple times, before he slowly sank to the ground covered in blood. He managed to roll himself down a small hill before his attackers could get to him.

He tried as hard as he could to crawl behind a rock, but something shot against his head, knocking him unconscious.




***





"Hermione I’m getting worried," said Ginny as her and Hermione ran into the Gryffindor common room. "He's not in the castle or on the grounds. Do you think something happened to him?"


"I really don't know Ginny," replied Hermione in a worried voice. "I'm going to go tell Lupin and Tonks that Harry is-"


"That Mr. Potter is what, Miss Granger?" interrupted Snape who had just came out of a classroom.


"Is....is..."stuttered Hermione.


"Yes, Granger," said Snape in his usual cold voice.




***





Harry's eyes shot open, and the first thing he saw was the wise centaur known as Magorian. "Are you ok human?" asked Magorian.



Harry slowly sat up while rubbing his head. He didn't respond, as he was too busy feeling the lump on his head. He guessed that one of the centaurs had thrown a rock at him.


"Human," continued Magorian. "You have done exceptionally well."


Harry nodded his head slightly, and stood from the muddy ground. "Is this how you are going to train me?" he asked with a shaky voice.


"Yes," answered Magorian. "And we will be teaching you other things as well. But your next lesson will be very important, so you need to be all rested up."





***





"Hermione," said Ginny, as they walked quickly up a staircase. Ginny was starting to get really scared because they had not found Harry yet. "Where are we going?"


"Gryffindor Tower," replied Hermione.


"And why-"


"Hopefully Harry is in there."




***




When Hermione and Ginny entered the Common Room, they were relieved to find Harry resting on the couch.

A smile formed on Ginny's face, as she slowly walked over to Harry, and kneeled beside him. She ran her hand through his messy black hair, and was surprised to feel a lump on his head.

I wonder how Harry got this lump, thought Ginny as she continued to run her hand through his hair.

Hermione smiled, as Ginny continued to run her hand through Harry's hair. I wonder if Ginny likes Harry again, thought Hermione with a wider smile.


Harry's eyes flickered open a minute later, and he smiled as he saw Ginny. "Hey Gin," he said in a tired, but cheerful voice. "What are you doing?"


"Just watching you," replied Ginny, as she blushed slightly.


"Umm.... Why are you watching me?" asked Harry. He felt his cheeks burn as Ginny slowly sat next to him.


"Because," said Ginny in a flirty voice that made Hermione's grin wider. Their faces only inches apart.


"Because what-"


"Harry?" interrupted Hermione. "Where were you today? We looked everywhere for you."


"I was.... around," replied Harry while avoiding eye contact from both Hermione and Ginny.


Hermione was cut off from saying anything else, because Lupin and Tonks came rushing into the room looking very nervous. "Where's Harry?" they both asked before seeing him laying on the couch, and Ginny sitting down next to him.


"Professor Snape said that no one could find you," said Tonks in a now relaxed voice.


"I was here the whole time," said Harry.


After a minute of silence, Lupin walked back toward the Portrait Hole. "Well Harry, we can see that you are quite comfortable, so we'll just be in the Great Hall if you need us," Lupin grinned and looked over at Tonks, who was also grinning.


Just as Lupin and Tonks were about to leave, McGonagall came sweeping into the Common Room. "Potter," she said in her usual stern voice. "Professor Dumbledore would like you to come to his office."


Harry slowly stood up from the couch he was laying on, and unsteadily walked over to Professor McGonagall who was looking more tired than Harry had ever seen her. He walked out the Portrait Hole with out a backwards glance at Hermione or Ginny. As he and McGonagall walked down a corridor, he wondered why Professor Dumbledore had wanted to see him. Was it because of the war? Had someone been attacked?


Professor McGonagall glanced down at Harry, and noticed the look on his face. "Nothing has happened Potter," said McGonagall in a softer voice.


"Then why does-"


But Harry was cut off when Professor McGonagall said, "Pumpkin pops." The gargoyle that guarded Dumbledore's office moved to reveal a hidden staircase.


Harry slowly made his way up the staircase. He finally came upon the door to Dumbledore's office, and knocked softly on it.


"Come in Harry," said a calm voice.


Harry quietly opened the door and walked into the circular office. It was a bit more cluttered then when Harry had left only a few short days ago. There was papers all over the place, along with some odd looking boxes along the side of the wall. Behind the cluttered desk was Dumbledore looking very old, and as tired as Harry had ever seen him. "How are you Harry?” asked Dumbledore casually, as Harry took a seat opposite his.


"Fine, sir," replied Harry in what he hoped was a calm voice.


"Good," muttered Dumbledore as he searched his desk for something. "How are Miss Weasley and Miss Granger?"



"They're ok," said Harry. He watched Dumbledore curiously.


Dumbledore finally found a stack of papers on his desk and looked at Harry once again. "Harry," started Dumbledore. "Do you know why I have asked you to come here?"


Harry was a bit confused about Dumbledore's question. He remained silent for a minute or two. "Because of the war?" said Harry with a puzzled face.


Dumbledore chuckled softly. "No Harry, everything is peaceful at the present moment, although there is said to be Death Eater sightings every now and then."


Harry gave a sigh of relief, and the asked, "But, sir, why did you call me here then?"


"Well Harry, it has come to my attention that Sirius had a Will. It clearly states that you inherit everything he owns."


Harry sat in silence for what seemed like forever. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. "I don't want it," said Harry in barely a whisper.


"I see," replied Dumbledore calmly. "But Harry, if you do not except this, it will be given to the Malfoy family."


Harry sat in silence again. He looked down at his shoes, while thinking very hard. I don't want all Sirius' stuff thought Harry, But I don't want Malfoy to have it either.


"And it clearly states, Harry, that the property of number Twelve Grimmauld Place is yours if you accept," the Headmaster interrupted his thoughts. "But if you deny, the Headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix has to be relocated."


I can't do that to the Order thought Harry, before lifting his head up to look at Dumbledore. "I-I accept," he said in a bare whisper.


A smile appeared on Dumbledore's face and he quickly pulled out another paper and handed it to Harry. "Sign there, Harry." Harry took the expensive looking quill Dumbledore had offered him, and on the bottom left of the page, he signed his name. He handed the paper back to Dumbledore, who was smiling slightly, and then sat quietly down again. Dumbledore pulled out a few more papers before he began spoke again. "Now that we have finished with Sirius' Will, Harry, it is time to move on to the Potter's Will."


"The Potter's Will?" Harry said hoarsely.


"Yes, Harry," said Dumbledore while handing a paper to him. "Your Mother and Father's Will."


Harry took the paper from Dumbledore with shaky hands. He read it for minutes before looking at Dumbledore again. "Professor?" asked Harry softly.


"Yes, Harry?"


"Wasn't my parents house destroyed by Voldemort?" asked Harry looking back down at the paper.


"The house Voldemort had destroyed, Harry, was not your parent's house. it was just a safe house."


"So my parents house is still around then?" asked Harry. Dumbledore gave a slight nod before Harry continued. "And I inherit it?"


"Not only that, Harry," said Dumbledore with a chuckle. "You also inherit your Grandparents properties. They owned two, I believe."


"But sir, I can't possibly accept this," said Harry looking a bit shocked. "It's too much."


"You are the last remaining Potter. These things you inherit are your family's memories. It's all of there possessions," said Dumbledore, as he started clearing his desk.


"Where are my Grandparent's properties?" asked Harry after a minute of silence.



"If I’m not mistaken, they have a house near Ottery St. Catchpole, and a another house near your mother and father's house."

Harry, a bit shocked at everything he had heard, gulped loudly and said, "I accept, sir."