Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Unknown Power by Potter123

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 7

Close Encounters







Harry lay on his bed in Gryffindor Tower. The meeting between himself and Dumbledore ran through his mind.

I own everything that belonged to Sirius, he thought sadly as he looked up and the ceiling. There was a knock at the door, and Hermione and Ginny walked in followed by Ron, who had just got there.

"Harry," said Hermione, as she walked over and sat on the edge of his bed. "You've missed dinner."

"So we brought you some back," said Ginny with a smile.

Harry tried to smile back, but he just couldn't do it. "Thanks," he muttered, as he took the tray of food from Ginny.

"You look a bit pale," said Ron, as he jumped into his bed.

"Harry, are you ok?" asked Ginny, as she sat next to Hermione.

"I'm fine," replied Harry. He looked down at his food to avoid eye contact from Ginny.

"Harry," said Ginny, as she slid next to him. "You can tell me what's wrong."

"Why does everyone think they can help me?" yelled Harry, although he didn't mean to.

Ron and Hermione looked a bit nervous, but Ginny remained calm. "Hermione, Can you and Ron please leave the room for a minute?" asked Ginny after a moment of silence. She never took her eyes off Harry.

"Sure," replied Hermione. She quickly stood up and walked across the room.

"I'm not going anywhere," said Ron defiantly. "Harry's my best friend and what ever you wanna say to him you can say it in front of me. Right, Harry?"

Harry quickly nodded his head. He didn't really want Ron and Hermione to leave.

"Well I don't really care what Harry thinks," said Ginny, as she slid off the bed and pulled out her wand. "Now get out before I Bat Boogey Hex you."

"You can't Hex me for being in the Boy's Dorm," Ron shot back, his ears turning the traditional Weasley red.

"Try me," replied Ginny in a dangerously low voice. She pointed her wand directly at Ron's nose.

"Ron, let's just go," said Hermione, as she pulled him towards the door. Halfway across the room, Ron tripped causing Hermione to drag him out of the room.

Before saying anything, Ginny walked over to the door. "Silencio," she muttered.

"Now," said Ginny sitting next to Harry, and looking straight into his eyes. "Harry what's wrong?"

"Nothing," he replied. He rolled over onto his side so Ginny couldn't see his face.

Ginny stared at Harry's back for a minute or two, before slowly laying next to him. "Harry," she whispered. "You could tell me anything and I would never tell anyone."

Harry slowly rolled over onto his other side so he could see Ginny. He was surprised to see how close their bodies were to each other. "I-I can tell you anything?" stuttered Harry.

"Anything," replied Ginny.

Over the next hour, Harry told Ginny all about what happened in Dumbledore's office. However, he didn't tell her about the Potters’ Will.

Ginny didn't speak until Harry was finished talking. "You really miss him don't you?"

"Who?" asked Harry, looking confused.

"Sirius," replied Ginny.

"I miss him," He said truthfully. "He was the only one that loved me."

"That's not true, everybody loves you," whispered Ginny. "Mum and Dad, Ron, Hermione, Fred and George..... me."

"But it's not the same," said Harry, as a tear slid down his cheek. "I actually thought I could have a family-"

"Harry we are your family," said Ginny resting her head on his shoulder. "Mum and Dad always said you're part of our family."

"Really?" asked Harry. A smiled had formed on his face.

"Yeah," replied Ginny. She slowly wrapped her arms around Harry's waist.

Harry's heart started beating faster. His body seemed to tingle from her touch.

"I'm like your little sister," she said.

He didn't know why, but it hurt when she said that.

"Well, I'm off to bed," said Ginny after a minute in silence, letting go of Harry and sliding off the bed. "Harry, will you come with me, Hermione, and Ron tomorrow morning?"

"Where are you guys going?" asked Harry, as he sat on the edge of his bed.

"Just for a morning walk around the lake," said Ginny stretching her legs.

"Ok I'll go," said Harry with a childish grin.

"Thanks Harry," said Ginny with a sweet smile, as she walked across the room.

To her surprise, Hermione and Ron were curled up in the corner with their ears pressed up against the door and their eyes closed. "Looks like me and Harry kept them up past their bed-time," Ginny said to herself as she watched her bushy haired friend, and red-headed brother sleep peacefully against the door to the Boy's Dorm.



***





Early the next morning, Harry was awakened by the sound of someone calling his name.

"Harry, wake up," said Hermione. She was shaking Harry gently.

"Hermione what are you doing?" asked Harry as he reached for his glasses.

"You said you were going to come with us," said a voice from the door.

A red-headed girl walked into the room with a sweet smile on her face. Ginny sat on the edge of Harry's bed.

"What time is it?" asked Harry while rubbing his eyes.

"Six forty-seven," answered Ron, who was sitting on his bed eating an apple.

"Are you guys mad?!" Harry quickly covered himself with the blankets again.

"Oh, no you don't, Potter," growled Ginny. She grabbed his blanket, and in one move, pulled the blankets off him.

"Ginny!!" yelled Harry. "It's too early."

"Actually, Harry, Lupin and Tonks are waiting in the Common Room," said Hermione.

"Harry," said Ron standing from his bed. "Please don't leave me alone with Hermione and Ginny."

"But it's too early-"

"Please, Harry," Ron begged. "They're weird."

"Excuse me!!" yelled Hermione.

"I said, you and Ginny are weird," he said again.

"I am not," said Ginny. She looked calmer then Hermione, who was now red faced.

"Really?" asked Ron with a wide grin. "Shall I tell Harry what you do while you're in the shower?"

Ginny suddenly froze. "You do and I'll kill you," she replied in a dangerously low voice.

"Leave Ginny alone, Ronald," said Hermione. She was now sitting on Harry's bed.

Harry was already dressed, and was now pulling his jacket out of his trunk. I need to start reading those books Dobby gave me, he told himself.

Harry looked up making sure nobody was watching him before taking one of the books out of his trunk and putting it into the pocket of his jacket.

"How dare you!!" Hermione yelled to Ron, who was once again teasing house-elves.

"Can we go now?" interrupted Harry. He was standing by the door.



***




Harry and Ginny walked slowly along the lake. Lupin and Tonks were, as always, a fair distance behind and Ron and Hermione were walking up front having one of many of their fights.

"Do they ever stop fighting?" asked Ginny with a disgusted look on her face.

"Apparently not," replied Harry with the same look.

"Harry, can we sit down?" asked Ginny. "I just want to watch the sunrise."

Harry grinned at her. "Sure," he replied. "Where do you want to sit?"

Ginny looked around for a minute before saying, "Let's sit by that tree." She pointed in the direction of a tall, shady oak.

"Ok," Harry agreed. He and Ginny walked slowly over to the spot and sat down.

"It's so cold," murmured Ginny as Harry leaned his back against the tree.

Just as Ginny shivered from the cold morning air, rubbing at the goosebumps on her arms, Harry slipped off his jacket and settled it over her shoulders. "Better?" He asked with a smile.

"Much," she giggled, nestling deeper into the jacket. "Thanks, Harry."

"Don't mention it," he chuckled as he opened one of the books Dobby had given him.

As he read the book in silence, he felt Ginny lace her fingers with his. His fingers tingled warmly and his heart started to dance to a complicated, unsteady rhythm. He looked down at her and she smiled tentatively.

"My fingers are cold," she said softly, as a faint pink blush colored her cheeks. "You don't mind, do you?"

"C-course not," Harry stammered nervously, his throat suddenly very dry and tongue awkward as he tried to form words with it.

He tried to continue reading the book he had brought, but found he had trouble with it because most of the book was written in Runes. And he was, admittedly, rather shoddy in that department. I'll have to ask Hermione if she can teach me how to read Runes, he thought to himself. Skimming through the book for something he could make sense of, he absently noticed drawings of several different objects such as swords and shields. Out of nowhere, a thought struck him.

"Ginny?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"What do you do in the shower?" he asked slowly.

"What?" said Ginny, looking at him with wide eyes.

"Ron said that you do something in the shower. Remember?" Harry amended quickly.

"Oh," Ginny replied, leaning her head against his shoulder. "It's nothing really. I just sing."

Harry smiled as Ginny's eyes slowly closed. The sun started to rise up into the sky while he watched her closely. Her fair skin seemed to glow and her hair to blaze like fire as the sun crested the horizon, painting brilliant colors across the sky. Harry barely even noticed the sun's artistic endeavors though, too occupied with the other natural beauty before him. As he stared in wonder at Ginny, his arms seemed to acquire a mind of their own as they wrapped around her waist and gently pulled her closer to him.

Ginny's eyes fluttered open in surprise as Harry drew her near, her cheeks flushing a bright pink. Ducking her head quickly to hide the blush, she closed her eyes again and leaned her head against his chest.

"Ginny," Harry whispered into her ear.

"Y-yes?" she whispered back.

"Ginny... My favorite color is red... Because it’s like your hair," murmured Harry. He didn't know why he was saying this; it just came tumbling out of his mouth.

"Really?" asked Ginny, so softly that Harry had barely heard her.

"Really," he replied.

"Harry," said Ginny, leaning her head up so she could look him in the eyes.

"Yeah Ginny?" answered Harry as he stared into twin chocolate brown pools. He suddenly felt disoriented, as though he was being drawn into those eyes. He drowned in them, and didn't mourn the lack of air.

"My favorite color is green because... Because it's the color of your eyes."

The butterflies in Harry's stomach were having a grand time. "Really?"

"Really."

"So it’s really not because it’s Slytherin’s colors?" He asked with a smile.

"Definitely not," Ginny replied, looking at Harry shyly from underneath her long, smoky eyelashes before resting her head on his chest again.




***



Harry quickly walked into a dark classroom. Ginny and Hermione were off somewhere with Lupin, and Ron had to go back to headquarters with Mrs. Weasley. "Dobby," Harry whispered into the empty classroom.

There was a minute of silence before a soft pop echoed through the corridor, and Dobby appeared next to
Harry. "Sir is wanting Dobby?" asked the small house elf.

"Yes," said Harry softly. "Dobby I'm ready for you to teach me how to Apparate."

"Sir is ready for Dobby's teachings," the elf told himself. Dobby snapped his finger's, and every desk in the classroom flew against the wall.

Harry slowly walked into the middle of the room, and faced Dobby. "What do I do first?" he asked.

Dobby walked around Harry in a circle. "Apparating," he started. "Is just as easy as snapping your fingers together."

Harry listened to Dobby closely. He sounds more like a teacher than a house elf, he thought.

"To Apparate, you have to see where you want to go," said Dobby softly.

"What?" Harry asked. He was now confused.

"Harry potter must see where he wants to go in his mind," replied Dobby. He was once again, standing in front of Harry. "Sir, try to Apparate to the other side of this room."

"Umm... Dobby, nobody can Apparate into or out of Hogwarts," said Harry slowly.

"That Harry Potter, sir, is not true," said Dobby with a smile on his face. "Dobby does it all the time."

"How do you do it?" asked Harry.

"It is very easy, sir," replied Dobby. "All you have to do is see where you want to go in your mind. But imagine a giant rock blocking your way."

"How do I get past the giant rock?" Harry was now closing his eyes.

"Simply go around it, sir," answered Dobby.

Harry stood in the middle of the dark classroom with his eyes closed. His forehead started to sweat as he tried to Apparate
to the other side of the class room.

"Harry Potter must will himself to Apparate," whispered the small house elf. "Harry Potter mustwant to Apparate."

Harry closed his eyes tighter. Will yourself to Apparate, he told himself. Simply... Go around."

Harry stood there for a moment, and willed himself to Apparate. He concentrated on his intent, fixing the desire in his mind. He pictured the other side of the room in as much detail as he could muster. Finally, oh so slowly, he began to tingle. The small vibrations flowed through him, becoming more frequent, and he felt himself begin to slip away. Suddenly there was no floor underneath his feet, no air filling his lungs. He had no lungs, no feet. There was just nothing. For a moment he glided through cool, soft darkness, drifting pleasantly through the calm. Then just as suddenly as he had entered the vast emptiness, it was over. Sensations returned to him and he could feel his body once more. When he opened his eyes, a spark of triumph flared to life in his chest. He had moved forward a few inches. It wasn’t the other side of the room, it wasn’t even a foot, but it was a start.

"I did it," he whispered with a wide smile.

"Harry Potter is the greatest wizard Dobby has ever known!" Said the small house elf, his eyes watering.

"Thank you Dobby," said Harry. "I couldn't have done that without you."

"Thank you, sir!" Cried Dobby. "Harry Potter must practice more to improve! But Dobby must be off now. The other house elves be needing Dobby's help."

"Thanks again Dobby," said Harry before walking out of the dark class room. As he closed the classroom door he bumped into Tonks.

"Wotcher Harry," she sad with her usual toothy grin. "What are you doing up here?"

"Just... umm.... exercising," he lied.

"Really?" asked Tonks. "Well I heard you talking to someone. Were you giving Ginny a good snog?"

"WHAT!!" yelled Harry, his face going bright red. "No I was just-"

"Are you and Ginny a couple now?" asked Tonks, her grin getting wider.

"Couple?" Harry's face was now turning violet. "No we're just... like brother and sister."

"Sure, what ever," giggled Tonks. "I think you guys look good together."

"R-really?" asked Harry slowly.

"Of course," replied Tonks.

Harry smiled to himself for a minute, before realizing that Tonks was smiling at him. "Tonks," he said. He was determined to change the subject. "Why are you up here?"

"I was actually looking for you."

"Me? Why were you looking for me?"

"I just had a talk with professor McGonagall. She says that you wanted to become an Auror. Is that true?"

Harry silently nodded his head.

"Harry why didn't you tell me?" asked Tonks, who was now grinning very wide.

"I didn't think you'd care," he replied softly.

"Harry of course I'd care," Tonks' grin got wider with each word. "We could work side by side."

"Tonks I don't even know if I can be an Auror ."

"Why not?" asked Tonks, her smile fading a bit.

"Well I haven't opened my O.W.L's yet. I'm afraid I won't make it."

"Harry it's already July 29th. You'd better open it soon."

"I will," he said slowly.

"Come on," said Tonks, wrapping her hand around Harry's shoulder and pulling him down the corridor. "Let's go eat. I'm starving."



***




After watching Tonks eat three whole Servings of lunch in the Great Hall, Harry and Tonks went up to Gryffindor Tower to relax. "What do you guys do around here for fun?" asked Tonks, as she jumped on the couch.

Harry thought for a moment. "We could play a game of Wizards chess if you want."

"It’s better than just sitting here," said Tonks, as she conjured a board and pieces. About half way through the game, the conversation went back to O.W.L.S and about being an Auror. "Harry just open up your results already, it’s to important to be thrown off to the side."

"I know Tonks, but what would I do if I don’t have the Grades to be an Auror? I mean it’s the only thing I have ever thought about doing with my life," Harry muttered nervously.

"Well it's better to find out, and if you don’t make it, you need time to find another career choice," Tonks swiftly replied, as though she knew exactly what Harry was thinking

"Ok...I'll open it. Let me go get it," Harry said as he ran up the stairs to his dormitory

Tonks waited a minute or two before she heard Harry running down the stairs. When he came into view his face was red and he was holding a very thick looking envelope in his hands.

Harry nervously sat next to Tonks on the couch. She was watching him closely as he stared at the letter. He realized that his entire future depended on what was inside this little envelope. After looking at it awhile longer, he slowly broke the seal on the back and hesitantly slipped a paper out.



Astronomy - A

Care of Magical Creatures - E

Charms - E

Defense Against the Dark Arts - O

Divination - P

Herbology - E

History of Magic - D

Potions - E

Transfiguration - E


Harry read the parchment through several times, his breathing becoming easier with each reading. It was alright: He had always known that he would fail Divination, and he had no chance of passing History of Magic, given that he had collapsed halfway through the examination, but he had passed everything else!

He wordlessly passed his results to Tonks who had been watching him closely. She read down the parchment and looked up with a smile. "You did really well, Harry," she hugged him tightly.

"Thanks," he replied with a grin. "But I can't be an Auror. I got an E in potions."

"You can always do something else," said Tonks hugging him again.

"Maybe," he replied before putting his O.W.L results back in the envelope, and putting it in the pocket of his pants.

Just then the Portrait Hole swung open, and Ginny and Hermione came walking in with Lupin. "Hey Harry," said Ginny walking over, and sitting next to him.

"Hey Gin," he replied. He looked at Tonks who made a kissy face to him. "Umm.. what have you been doing?"

"Nothing much," she answered. "Just talking with Lupin and Hermione. What about you?"

"Well, I-"

Just then, he heard a sound that made his blood run cold: Tonks singing to the tune to Kay-Eye-Ess-Ess-Eye-En-Gee. "Haaarry and G-"

Harry's eyes flew wide open and he whirled to yelp at her, "TONKS!"

The metamorph's eyes watered with mirth as she let out a delighted cackle. Harry shot a glare at her. It was astounding at times how childish Tonks could behave.

Ginny and Hermione looked curiously from Tonks to Harry and back again. Harry narrowed his eyes, trying to make his glare more severe, but it only served to send Tonks into another fit of laughter. It was hard to maintain some semblance of dignity while someone is laughing uproariously at you, but Harry managed well enough. When Tonks recovered enough to speak, she said between giggles, "My lips are sealed, Potter."

He was about to express his doubt of this statement when a thought struck him. Today was the next day of his training with the centaurs! And if he didn't hurry, he was going to be late. "I-I have to go.. do stuff." Harry stammered, backing towards the portrait hole. The last things he saw before he slipped out were Tonk's impish grin, a baffled looking Hermione, and Ginny's thoughtful expression.



***




As Harry cautiously entered the clearing, wand in hand, he saw Magorian heft an elaborately decorated staff and walk to the center of the space. Magorian lifted his gaze to survey Harry briefly then said, "You will not be needing your wand this day, Harry Potter." He motioned with the staff to a spot before him on the ground. "Sit."

Harry obeyed, sitting down cross-legged on the ground, but kept a wary eye on the centaur. Magorian moved slowly around him in a large circle. As he walked, he lowered the butt of the staff to the ground, tracing the circle in the dirt. As he walked, the centaur said, "In order to defeat Voldemort and his followers, you must employ all of the resources available to you. The centaurs hold knowledge of many ancient magics. One such magic is the gift of the Animagi. Every human, great or small, has an inner creature, something more than human. Too often this creature lies dormant, forgotten in the flurry of modernization. Witches and wizards can, with guidance, learn to revive and tap into this animal side. This is the knowledge the centaurs offer you. Bear this in mind, though: I can only guide you. Whether or not you achieve in awakening your creature is up to you. You are a good candidate for becoming Animagi. You father achieved this, and thus the potential is strong in your blood."

As the centaur paused, Harry dared to venture a question. "How long will the training take?"

Magorian frowned at him. "Becoming an Animagus is no trivial matter, Harry Potter. Nor is it like learning to ride a broomstick or cast a spell. It is a serious endeavor and must be done with care. The time it takes before one can make the transformation varies greatly."

Harry felt his heart sink. There were too many things in his life that weren't definite, that "varied greatly". One more added to the list didn't exactly make his day. "What must I do?"

"There will be many different parts to your training. The first you have already experienced. You need to build up your physical and mental stamina, for one thing. You must also learn to tap into the ebb and flow of the forest, to be able to traverse it with the greatest of ease. The forest is the womb from which all creatures find their roots. Every one has a tie to it. When you reawaken this tie, you get that much closer to your goal in awakening your creature. Rigorous training such as you experienced the last time we met will help to open
your mind to this lost link."

Harry nodded to convey his understanding, though he wasn't quite sure that he was following Magorian's explanation.

"That is the external training. The second part of your training we begin today. It is the internal training. You must search within yourself, delve into the deep recesses of your mind, and unlock the secrets that lie there. I will personally teach you techniques through which you can do this."


Ok first, i want to thank Starcrossed and Akaloser, who are my partners for this fic. It would mean a lot to me if readers reviewed more. I also want to thank the readers/reviewers. Without you, there'd be no fic.