Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Harry Potter Code by dink

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Most of the following scene was uncovered by running a deep-level decoding procedure over pages 561 to 566 of my copy of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I say "most" because there were a few passages where I had to make an educated guess as to what the missing words were. I think I've done a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.

"Yes," said Voldemort, a grin curling his lipless mouth, as the eyes of the circle flashed in Harry's direction. "Harry Potter has kindly joined us for my rebirthing party. One might go so far as to call him my guest of honour."

Throughout this last sentence, Harry could hear that Voldemort's voice was dropping once more. He was surprised -- both that Wormtail could still be making a mess of the snake venom and that such a thing could affect Voldemort now that he had a proper body once more.

"Excuse me," said Voldemort huskily, and he ducked behind a large gravestone.

There was a silence, broken only by the squeak of rubber and a slight hissing noise. Voldemort returned to the circle of Death Eaters, smiling thinly. Then the Death Eater to the right of Wormtail stepped forward, and Lucius Malfoy's voice spoke uncertainly from under the mask.

"Master, we crave to know ... we beg you to tell us ... how you have achieved this ... this miracle .. how you managed to return to us ..."

" ... " said Voldemort. " ... "

He walked hastily over to Wormtail, so that the eyes of the whole circle were upon the two of them. The snake continued to circle. Dogs howled in the distance. A bat, no doubt confused by Voldemort's high-pitched screechings (inaudible to the human ear), flapped awkwardly across the circle.

Harry glanced quickly round: Wormtail seemed to be having some kind of seizure, and all the other Death Eaters were shifting on their feet and muttering to each other.

" ... !?" mouthed Voldemort angrily as he swatted the bat away.

"Poss -- p -- possibly too much heli -- helium?" said Wormtail, fighting a dangerous battle against the laughter that was clearly bubbling up inside.

" ... !" said Voldemort, emphasizing his words by repeatedly prodding Wormtail's chest with a spoon.

The air was suddenly full of the barking of dogs. Between graves, behind the yew tree, in every smelly place, dogs were appearing. All of them were yapping excitedly and sniffing the hems of the Death Eaters' robes with huge delight and enjoyment. The graveyard was in chaos. Death Eaters were shouting, backing away, misguidedly firing hexes whilst standing in a circle. Several of them were cursing and toppling over. The dogs, wanting to join in the new game, were leaping on the fallen Death Eaters' chests, panting in their faces.

The inhabitants of Little Hangleton clearly preferred small dogs. The possibility that Sirius might be there had instantly filled Harry's mind, but there were no big black dogs -- mostly it was a mixture of poodles, Yorkshire terriers, corgis and a daschund.

" ... !!" said Voldemort, and in one vast canine mass, the dogs surged forward, as though they could hardly believe their ears. Voldemort raised his wand into the air and screamed, " ... !"

Nothing happened.

Then the daschund broke away from the pack, trotted toward Voldemort, and politely sniffed his bottom.

Voldemort threw his wand to one side and reached for his spoons.

Wormtail gulped nervously. Harry wondered, with a malicious pleasure, how exactly Wormtail was going to explain the spoons to the other Death Eaters.

" ... " said Voldemort threateningly.

A soft voice broke the silence, whispering, "Master, perhaps you might like to try one of these."

The speaker flung his right arm out dramatically, revealing a selection of potions neatly held in place with velcro fastenings on the inside of his robes. A chill breeze set the Death Eater's robes billowing, and Harry had a glimpse of tan-coloured sock garters before the vision was swept away by another dramatic flourish. The man, obviously moving his arms up and down underneath his robes, flapped toward Voldemort, proffering a small bottle of orange liquid. Voldemort eyed him carefully for a moment and then, apparently satisfied, drank the potion.