Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Unlocked Mind by Huskers

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: As always, I own none of this. I am making no
money from it, so please Mrs. Rowling if you read this
don’t sue me. A comment or two would be welcome
though.


Please, if you read, take two minutes to review.




Harry Potter and the Unlocked Mind


Chapter 20 Recovery?




Ron woke up in the hospital wing of Hogwarts after his second night under the influence of the dreamless sleep draught to find Hermione sleeping in the chair next to his bed. He smiled to himself as he watched her for a few minutes, while trying to remember what exactly had happened in the battle against Voldemort’s followers.

He was able to recall that he had been hit, and vaguely remembered being surrounded by some sort of stone barriers. He remembered running from that shelter and up a flight of stairs where two people helped him to a closet of some sort, and for some unknown reason he thought he remembered thanking Draco Malfoy for saving his and Hermione’s life.

Hermione stirred and her eyes opened a moment later, she smiled to see him awake and looking better than yesterday. He was going to be here another day or so, but he would make a full recovery.

“Hi,” she said to him, reaching out to take his hand.

“How long have you been here?” Ron asked her.

“All night.”

“You could have joined me you know.” Hermione blushed at the invitation. “Why exactly am I here anyways?” Ron asked. “I remember getting hit, and running up some stairs to a closet or something.”

Hermione frowned. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

“Things are really fuzzy. I remember two people helped us.

I think it was Mad-Eye and… Malfoy?” Ron’s last statement was more of a question.

“You thanked them both for saving our lives.”

Ron blinked. “So Malfoy really saved us?”

“Yes, he and Mad-Eye rescued us.” Ron rolled onto his back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. “He was in yesterday with Mad-Eye to see how you were doing,” Hermione added.

Ron squeezed her hand, and they sat quietly for a while.
“Malfoy on our side, that is going to take a bit to get used to,” he finally remarked.

“Yes, it will,” Hermione replied.

“I assume we used our portkeys to get back here, what happened after that?” Ron asked.

“Well you passed out before the portkey activated. One of the spells you were hit with was the same one used on me in the Ministry two years ago.”

Ron turned back to Hermione. “Shouldn’t I be dead?”

Hermione reached out and turned his hand over; tracing her finger on the three white scars on his palm. “Yes,” she replied quietly. “The healers said you had a lot of damage, that you even woke up at the battle in the first place was a miracle. They didn’t even try to explain how you managed to run to the closet; even with me, Mad-Eye and Draco dragging you.”

Ron closed his eyes and sighed. Hermione moved up and sat on the bed next to him, running her hand across his forehead to brush the hair out of his eyes. “Where is Harry?” he finally asked.

“We think he is still in the Death Chamber, Ronald,” she whispered as the tears started to flow again.

“And Voldemort?”

“About four hours after you were brought here, the Dark Mark disappeared from Draco and Professor Snape’s arms,” Hermione replied.

Ron opened his eyes to look at her. “So he’s gone?” he asked.

“We don’t know. The mark still exists on the arms of the Death Eaters that were captured in the battle,” she answered. Ron looked at her quizzically. “Dumbledore hopes it’s a sign that he’s gone, that the mark of evil only remains on the arms of those who were truly his followers.” Ron nodded.

“Where is Ginny?” he asked quietly.

“She is at the Ministry.”

“Have you seen her?”

“No, Dumbledore is the only one who has gone to her. She doesn’t want to know anything until they figure out what happened to Harry.”

“If Dumbledore thinks Voldemort is gone, why don’t they just open the chamber?”

“Because if he’s not, if the Dark Mark disappearing from the arms of some of his followers is a trick, then he will be able to escape. Dumbledore feels that Voldemort, if he is alive, is still trapped in the chamber. Without food or water, even if he can’t die, he only has a month or two to figure out a way out of the prison Dumbledore created before he will grow too weak to escape. Harry knew this before he went in the chamber, we all did, Ronald.”

Ron fought back the tears in his eyes, he knew Hermione was right, it had all been part of his plan; even so, he had hoped for a different answer.

“Dumbledore and the Minister are considering releasing the spell that keeps Fawkes and Ginny out,” Hermione whispered.

********************


Ginny stood up and walked to the door leading to the Death Chamber. She placed her hands on it and leaned her forehead up against it. Trying to feel something through the spells Dumbledore had cast around the chamber. She could feel nothing to indicate the presence of her husband behind the door. She hadn’t expected that this time would be any different than the others. Ginny knew, despite always being able to feel when Harry was near her, that unless she tried to reach him through his mind, the spells would block anything she did.

Dumbledore had spent years developing the spells and containment webs that now had turned the Death Chamber into a prison. It was to have been his last resort for stopping Voldemort should Harry fail to destroy him. Dumbledore didn’t believe for a second that Voldemort wouldn’t eventually figure a way out of the chamber. But he knew that despite only Harry being able to destroy him, Voldemort still suffered the most basic of human needs. The need to sleep, eat and drink. If it took him too long to figure a way out of the chamber, he would be too weak to perform the magic necessary to escape.

None of Voldemort’s followers had the power or knowledge necessary to open the chamber for him. And if he remained trapped long enough, perhaps if Harry failed, another might be born with the power to destroy him. It was a desperate attempt but desperate men will do desperate things.

“Ginevra.”

Ginny turned around to see Professor Dumbledore sitting on the bench behind her. She smiled weakly at him. “He is not dead, Professor,” she said to him.

“I assume you refer to Harry?” he replied.

“Yes.”

Dumbledore surveyed her over his half moon glasses. What he saw was a woman clinging to the only truth that could keep her alive. Ginny was still emaciated from the time spent in the dungeon with Voldemort. The black circles under her eyes had deepened. And her face had become almost hallow in appearance. Her worry over Harry, had not allowed her to sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. Causing her physical and magical reserves to fall to the point where she was in danger of collapsing entirely.

“I believe you, Ginevra,” he said quietly to her. “Have you tried to reach him in his mind?”

Ginny shook her head. “I didn’t want to distract him if they were still fighting,”

“I see,” he answered. “Perhaps it is time to try,” he added quietly a moment later.

Ginny bit her lip and nodded slightly at him.

Harry’s crumpled body lay on the floor of the chamber, alive but only just. His mind barely remembering to breathe and his heart was only just beating. The blast from Voldemort’s fallen body had been the final shock of pain, death and hatred too hit Harry. And it was as powerful as the blast that radiated from Harry last summer when Dumbledore had brought Ginny to him in the cemetery. Voldemort had taken close to twelve hours to wake up from that and Harry was in a much worse state than Voldemort was when he was hit.

“Husband?” a voice came into his mind. Something fired in Harry’s mind at the feel of Ginny connecting with him. It was all the indication she needed that he was truly still alive.

“He is alive, barley,” Ginny said.

Dumbledore frowned, trying to decide what to do. The calmness of Ginny’s voice could not hide her desperation from him. He knew her only concern was for Harry, but he was well aware that having the eternity symbol at your wedding was not all blessing. He knew that if he allowed Harry to remain unattended in the chamber and die that Ginny would die within days of him. Still he could not allow his feelings for two to override the fate of the world.

Privately, he raged at his own fate. How many times had he been placed in this position? How many times would he be forced to sacrifice one or two for the fate of many? And he wondered, when he finally passed through the veil himself, what those he had sacrificed in the past would say to him.

In the end, it was Draco Malfoy who made the decision for him. Dumbledore did not see how Voldemort could possibly know that Draco had left his servitude and turned to fight on the side of good. If the fading of the Dark Mark from Draco’s arm was a trick, then Voldemort had likely left the chamber already. Dumbledore reached into his pocket and handed Ginny a small glass sphere.

“I will allow you in and reset the spell once you disappear from my sight. The sphere will allow me to see what is in the chamber.”

Ginny nodded at him and gathered what little strength she had left before she assumed her animagus. Taking the sphere from Dumbledore in her talons, she waited.

Dumbledore waved his wand in the air and nodded to her. “Go.”

Ginny disappeared in a flash of light and Dumbledore’s wand waved again; trapping her in the chamber.

With a second flash of light, Ginny apparated into the Death Chamber. She transformed from her animagus back to her human form and gasped with the effort it required.

How did he fight in here? her voices wondered in awe. In her weakened state, the spells that made the death chamber a prison and forced all magic to come from within the person who used it; were instantly noticeable to her.

She shook her head slightly to clear it and then looked around the chamber searching for Harry. She found two crumpled forms on the floor; one near the stone arch and the other lying against the wall of the chamber. She walked unsteadily to the first form, dropped the sphere on the ground, and then went to Harry’s side.

Ginny slowly settled to the floor beside Harry and reached to take his hand in hers. She wasn’t aware of it but at her touch, his breathing became stronger and his heart beat more steadily. She held his hand for a moment before she began to move her wand up and down his body; searching him to determine the extent of his injuries.

The blast that had thrown Harry against the wall had broken his right arm. And when his body had fallen to the floor after being thrown against the wall, he had landed on his face. Breaking his jaw and cutting a deep laceration into his right check.

Harry had not fully assumed his animagus when the nundu had clamed its jaws around his neck. The hide of the dragon had stopped the nundu from ripping out his throat, but the pressure of the nundu’s jaws had crushed his left collar bone; and left his entire chest one massive purple and black bruise that stretched around to his back. He also had a number of broken ribs and they had punctured one of his lungs.

Ginny had been given the knowledge of the Keepers of, The Tomes of the Damned. One of them had been the greatest healer of her time. Now, she reached deep into her heart for the strength to heal Harry’s wounds. In her effort to save him, the spells of the prison forced her to sacrifice the last of her magical reserves, with her last stabilizing charm barely forming.

After casting her last spell, her wand fell to the floor and she rolled Harry onto his back, placing his head in her lap. Having done everything she could, her fingers gently stroked through his messy black hair. They would either die together now, or Dumbledore would release his spells and let both of them out of the chamber.

She didn’t know how long it was that she waited. Only that she woke in the hospital wing of Hogwart’s and when she rolled over, Harry was in the next bed. The two of them were in a cordoned off corner of the wing and it was just getting light out. Ginny climbed out of her bed and walked over to Harry’s climbing in next to him. When she woke again it was dark.

********************


“Oy, Potter, wake up,” a male voice said. Harry stirred slightly as he felt someone nudging him in the shoulder. “Come on, Potter. You think I want to sit here for eternity waiting for you to wake up?” the voice demanded. The nudging at his shoulder became more forceful.

“Leave him alone, you know time doesn’t matter in here,” a female voice sounded in Harry’s head.

“No, but it does out there,” the male voice replied.

Harry struggled to make sense of what was going on around him. Not really aware that the man and woman were continuing to argue back and forth. Finally, he managed to open his eyes and look around.

He was in a bed, but the bed didn’t seem to be in a room of any kind. There was just a brilliantly, bright light that had the same calming affect of the phoenix song and seemed like it went on forever. He looked over to his other side and saw the two people who were arguing over him.

“He’ll wake when he’s ready, Cedric,” the female snapped at him.

“Come on, Bridge. He’s had enough time to heal, he needs to wake up.”

Harry wasn’t sure how, but he knew he was not dreaming. “I’m awake,” he said quietly. Bridgette and Cedric stopped arguing long enough to glance at him.

“See I told you he was ready,” Cedric said.

Bridgette ignored him. “Hello, Harry,” she said smiling down at him.

Harry sat up in the bed, hanging his legs over the edge of it. “Hi,” he replied quietly.

“Well, I would have expected you to be happier than this to see me,” she replied cheekily.

Despite the nervousness Harry felt, he chuckeled slightly. “I’m sorry, Bridgette,” he said. “I’m happy to see you. I’m just not too happy at what it means.”

Bridgette, unwilling to wait any longer, reached out and pulled him into a hug. “Don’t be a prat, Harry. You’re not dead.”

“Afraid she’s right, Mate,” Cedric said, clapping Harry on the shoulder after Bridgette let him go. “I’m afraid you’re going to have to put up with that crazy woman you married for a while longer.”

Harry blinked. To say he was confused would be an understatement.

“Crazy woman?” Bridgette teased. “Just the other day you told me you thought she was gorgeous.”

“Well she is. She’s just crazy. I’d never know if I was coming or going, if I was with her. Really it’s a good thing she’s Harry’s eternity. It’s going to save a lot of blokes a lot of trouble when she comes over here.”

“And what about me?

“You, you’re gorgeous, but you’re not crazy, much more to my liking.

“Yet you still don’t know if you’re coming or going with me either.”

Cedric opened his mouth to retort, but then sighed. “Right,” he said. He then turned to Harry. “Maybe we’re the ones who’re nutters. Seems the more crazy they make us, the more we like them.” He gave Harry a nudge with his elbow and waggled his eyebrow so that both Harry and Bridgette could see.

If Harry was confused before, it said nothing about his condition now. “Erm…guys?”

“Yes, Harry,” Bridgette and Cedric replied together.

“If I’m not dead, where am I?”

“You’re here, Harry,” Bridgette said.

“And where is that?” Harry asked, slightly exasperated.

Cedric and Bridgette both shrugged. “It’s just here, Harry,” Cedric said. “I can’t explain it any better than that. “You’re just here, Harry. That’s all there is to it. If it helps, think of it as the in-between.”

Harry tried to gather his thoughts before replying. “But I’m not dead?” he said slowly.

“No,” Bridgette said.

“And you two are?”

“In the way you think of things, yes.”

“So how are we here together?”

“Well,” Cedric said, “You kind of need a kick in the arse to wake up back where you’re supposed to be. We volunteered to come and give it to you. Luna would have come too, but she and her father went off on some trip after some crazy mythical creature of some sort. Not sure which one it is this time.”

Harry started laughing. It would be just like Luna to be more interested in finding a crumple horned whatever, than for her to come and see him. He was glad to hear that death hadn’t changed her. He fell silent again after a few seconds. Bridgette saw his mood change and moved to sit next to him, taking his hand in hers.

“Your parents wanted to come,” she said softly. “But they had already been given more than their share of trips to the in-between. We both offered to give them one of our trips, but it wasn’t allowed.”

Harry looked down at Bridgette’s hand in his. He smiled slightly as he remembered back to when they had been dating and what it had felt like to hold her hand. Again, it was nice, but it wasn’t like holding Ginny’s.

“You’ll get to see them when it is your time to go through the veil, Harry,” Cedric said as he sat down on Harry’s other side. “But it’s time for you to go back. We just wanted a chance to say hello.”

Harry looked up at Bridgette. She was smiling at him and there was no trace of sadness in her face. “I haven’t forgotten you, Bridgette,” he whispered.

Bridgette pulled his forehead to her lips and kissed him. “I know, Harry,” she replied. “Thank you.”

Harry turned to look at Cedric. “I know we were never really friends, but I haven’t forgotten you either.”

“I know. Why do you think I used one of my trips to the in-between to come see you?”

Harry nodded. “So am I going to remember any of this?”

“All of it,” Bridgette replied. There was a hissing sound from behind him and Harry turned to see that a door had appeared. It didn’t exist in a wall of any sort, it was just there and he knew his time with them was short.

“Is there anything you want me to tell anyone?” Harry asked.

“There’s really no one left for me back there,” Bridgette said, nodding towards the doorway. “Just you, Ginny, Ron and Hermione, tell them I’m happy.”

Harry nodded once at her. “And you?” he asked Cedric.

“There are a few more people left for me. But just tell them the same. That I’m happy too.”

“What about Cho?”

“Tell her the same. That if were supposed to be together for eternity, then we’ll get another chance when she comes through the veil,” Cedric replied.

“You don’t know?”

“No, Harry, I don’t. If Cho and I had been married when I died, I might have known. But we weren’t, so we both have to keep searching. She may find her eternity back there,” Cedric said with a nod towards the doorway. “If she doesn’t find it, and I don’t find it before she crosses the veil, then I’ll be waiting for her when she does, to see if she is my eternity.”

While he had been speaking, Bridgette had moved around to his side and slipped her arm around Cedric’s waist. Harry smiled at them.

“So you two are together then?” he asked.

“For now,” Bridgette said, “Many things are the same over her as back there. We date, there are breakups and there are marriage ceremonies. Eternity is found and the next life is lived.”

“Whether we’re each others eternity,” Cedric said.

“Remains to be seen,” Bridgette answered.

“But for now, were happy,” Cedric finished.

"What happens to people who don't have the eternity symbol at their wedding?" Harry asked.

"Well, Harry," Cedric said. "It's kind of odd to tell you the truth. In many cases, people don't marry their eternity, and they go their seperate ways at death."

"But sometimes you do marry your eternity," Bridgette picked up. "And you still don't get the eternity symbol at your wedding. Just because you find each other, doesn't mean you are ready for it. You have to be ready for the symbol, in order for it to happen."

"I'm not sure I understand," Harry replied.

"Look at it Ron's parents, Harry," Bridgette said. "They had a perfect circle at their wedding, but the truth is, they are each others eternity. When they married, their souls were not ready for eternity. The symbol knows that and therefore did not appear for them. They were not ready to be bound in that manner, so they weren't."

"What do you mean bound?"

Bridgette and Cedric both smiled. "Ginny never told you, did she?" Cedirc asked.

"Told me what?"

"Harry," Bridgette said, "Ginny was not over reacting when she said she could not live without you. Those were not just words. You and she are bound to each other now. Eternity will not let you or her be alone. If you or she dies, the other will die of a broken heart within days. The same is true for Ron and Hermione."

"So mate," Cedric said, "Not only do you have to put up with that, crazy woman, for the rest of your life, she is going to be around much longer than that."

Harry smiled again. “I don't really mind,” he said. He then stood up and put his hand out to Cedric.

Cedric reached for his hand and used it to pull him into a one-armed embrace. “You destroyed him, Harry. Live happy and in peace,” he said.

Harry pulled away and Bridgette pulled him to her again. They held each other tightly for a few moments before she let him go.

“I love you, Harry,” she said.

“You too, Bridge,” he replied. Harry looked over his shoulder at the doorway and then back to his two friends. “How do I get back?”

“Just open the door, Harry,” Bridgette said as Cedric slipped his arm around her waist again.

“I guess I’ll see you then,” Harry said.

“Live, happy, Harry,” They both replied.

Harry smiled and nodded once. He then he turned, moved to the door, opened it and walked through without looking back.

********************


Harry slowly opened his eyes and took in his surroundings. Turning his head to the side, he could see that he was in the hospital wing and there were cards and flowers everywhere. Hearing voices, he turned the other way to see Ginny, Ron and Hermione were sitting at a table in the corner reading. He laid there watching them for a long time. As they were unaware that he had woken up.

Should I say something? he asked the voices.

No, let’s just watch them, the first voice responded.

Do you have any idea how long we’ve been here? the third asked.

No, the second said.

Harry frowned to himself. Something in his mind didn’t feel right. Four, are you there? he asked. Harry felt something stirring in his brain after a short time.

What do you want? the fourth voice asked, hostility evident in the response.

Nothing, we were just wondering if you were ok? the other voices responded.

I’m hurt, now let me sleep and don’t bother me, the voice replied.

Harry felt part of his brain shut down again and then he understood what Ginny had done for so many years. He had never done this before, and wondered how long it would take the voice to heal, or if it ever would.

Ron looked up and noticed Harry was watching them, he nudged Ginny and pointed to the bed. Ginny looked at Ron, Harry couldn’t see her lip starting to tremble. Ron nodded at her and she slowly turned to look at Harry.

Seeing him struggling to sit up, she flew from her chair to his arms, knocking him back down on the bed again. Her arms wrapped around him and she crushed him to her chest. Then, suddenly thinking she might cause him to fall back into a coma, she released him. Moving to her knees by his side her hands barely touching the sides of his face as tears streamed down her cheeks.

Harry lay there letting her trembling hands caress his face drinking in the sensation of her touch on his skin. Her fingers moved to his forehead and brushed his hair back. The tips of her fingers traced over his scar and Harry felt a slight tremor move through his body. She leaned down and gently kissed him there, sending a surge of electricity through him. Ginny had touched him there once before. And like then, the concept that he could feel anything but pain from his scar amazed him. Ginny pushed away from him just enough that they could see each other clearly.

“I've been waiting for you,” she said.

“I told you I would return to you,” Harry replied.

Ron and Hermione watched for a moment and without either Harry or Ginny noticing they slipped out of the hospital wing and went to get Dumbledore.

When they got back, Harry was sitting, propped up by pillows, Ginny was laying with her head in his lap as his hands played through her hair. She got up and moved to a chair when they came in.

“Hello, Harry,” Dumbledore said as he summoned chairs to the bedside for he, Ron and Hermione.

“Sir,” Harry replied.

“You have been asleep for a long time, Harry.”

Harry simply nodded. “Ginny says she starts her seventh year in three weeks.”

“Has she told you anything else?”

“No, sir.”

“Voldemort is gone, Harry. I, the Minister and many other witnesses watched his body go through the veil after we removed you from the chamber.”

“That was unnecessary,” Harry said quietly. “His soul had already gone through.”

Dumbledore surveyed him over his glasses, his eyes twinkling and a half smile playing at his mouth. “I know that, but for the general population it is a bit of closure. Especially with Death Eaters still on the loose spreading rumors that he is alive and well.”

Harry scowled at this news.

“They are on the run, Harry. As a matter of fact, Draco Malfoy and Alastor Moody delivered Lucius Malfoy to the Ministry just two days ago. He was sent through the veil yesterday.”

Harry’s eyes went wide at this news. “Draco Malfoy, sir?

“He saved mine and Hermione’s life during the battle at the castle, Harry,” Ron said quietly.

Harry’s mouth dropped open.

“We’ll tell you about it another time, Harry,” Hermione said smiling at him.

Harry looked at the two of them; they had been very quiet the whole time so far and seemed to be on the verge of exploding any second now. “I think, I need to rest for a while, but I could use a hug from both of you first,” he said to them.

Hermione launched herself out of her chair into his arms, tears finally releasing from her eyes. “I missed you so much, Harry,” she whispered to him, her body shaking against his. She finally relaxed her grip on him and kissed his cheek before letting Ron in so he could hug him too.

“Thank you, Harry,” Ron said quietly before he let him go.

Harry smiled at him, and looked at Hermione again. He reached behind his neck and undid the clasp of Hermione’s necklace.

“Come back here Mione,” he said to her. Hermione actually blushed as she moved to his side and turned; holding her hair out of the way so Harry could place the necklace back around her neck. After he fixed the clasp she dropped her hair again and Harry reached around her waist to hug her again. “Perhaps, you should let Ron buy you a different one sometime,” he said quietly.

“No mate,” Ron answered as he pulled Hermione to him. “That necklace means as much to me as it does to Hermione. It reminds me that you kept your promise to me. And that you saved both Hermione and I from Voldemort.”

“You would have done the same, Ron,” Harry replied quietly. Ron smiled and nodded. Harry closed his eyes as a wave of exhaustion hit him.

“We’ll see you tomorrow then, Harry,” they both said heading for the door.

“Guy’s,” Harry said to them and Dumbledore as he got up to leave with Ron and Hermione.

“Yes, Harry?” Hermione asked.

“I know there has to be bad news.”

Dumbledore frowned; Ron and Hermione looked down at the floor.

“Tomorrow, Husband,” Ginny said as she climbed back onto the bed with him.

********************


Hermione and Ron apparted directly into the catacombs deep beneath Windsor Castle.

“This way,” she said turning down a corridor on her left.

They walked down the sloping rock floor for nearly five minutes. Passing endless volumes of old, dusty, leather bound tomes. Ron followed her as she turned right and left then right again. The floor sloped up for a while and then the came to a stair case leading them deeper under the castle.

“You hid the Tomes of the Damned in a library?” he finally asked unable to contain his incredulousness any longer.

“A library that wizards have not seen the need to enter for over five hundred years, Ronald,” she snapped, angry that he thought her hiding spot wasn’t very good. “And in case you didn’t notice, not even non-magical people have been down here in probably more than a hundred years.”

Ron put his hand on her shoulder and stopped her. Hermione stopped and looked at him angrily. “Only you would think to hide books in a library. You really are brilliant,” he said.

Hermione melted and leaned in to give him a kiss. “Come on, it’s just around that next bend. They reached then end of the corridor and she waved her wand in the air. The solid rock wall on her right shimmered and faded away. Revealing, two, thick, leather bound tomes and one scroll. Hermione examined the scroll and one of the tomes before handing them to Ron.

“This is the prophecy?” he asked indicating the scroll.

“Yes and the Tome of the Damned. Turns out there is only one book.”

“What’s that then?”

Hermione opened the cover to the second tome and revealed it to be a cleverly disguised wooden box. Inside of it, rested the wands of Morgana and Mordred. Ron tentatively reached out to touch them, but then changed his mind.

“Let’s just go,” he said quietly.

“Now that we’ve retrieved the tomes, and I canceled the protection spells, we can apparate from here. I’ll see you at the Ministry,” Hermione replied.

Ron nodded and with soft pops they were gone.

"Ronald, Hermione,” Dumbledore said when they walked into the Department of Mysteries a short while later.

“Sir, Minster Bones,” they both answered. Then nodded to the other people in the room

Minister Bones nodded at them. “Everything is in order?”

Ron and Hermione handed over the items and waited while Dumbledore and the Minister examined them. After a short time Dumbledore picked up the scroll with the prophecy on it. He unrolled it and the people in the room pressed in; eagerly trying to see what was written.

“What does it say, sir?” Hermione asked. Dumbledore glanced up at her and then at the rest of the people in the room before he began to read from the prophecy.

THE HEIR OF THE HOUSE OF THE SNAKE WILL RISE ANEW…THREE OF FOUR WILL FALL... IF THE EQUAL CAN DEFEAT THE HEIR TO THE HOUSE OF THE SNAKE A SECOND TIME, THE ENDING OF THE SOUL STEALERS ENSLAVEMENT IS AT HAND, FOR THEIR DESTRUCTORS HAVE RISEN... MARKED AS SERVANTS, THEIR MASTER RENOUNCED… HUSBAND TO MUDERED WIFE AND FATHER OF MURDERED UNBORN CHILD… SON TO MOTHER, MURDERED AT HIS FATHER’S HAND… MARK OF EVIL FADED AT THEIR FORMER MASTER’S FALL… SOUL STEALERS ENSLAVEMENT ENDS WHEN THE EVIL OF MOTHER AND SON IS DESTORYED BY DECENDANTS OF THEIR BLOOD…

Dumbledore finished reading the prophecy and gazed at the assembled group of people. “Severus,” he said.

“Yes, Headmaster?”

“It seems that you and Draco Malfoy are the most likely candidates for filling these roles.”

“It would seem so, yes.”

“Then we shall wait for his arrival. Alastor, will you please go and tell him I require his presence here?”

“On my way,” Mad-Eye replied heading for the door.

Ron and Hermione watched Snape sit down heavily in a chair along the wall of the room. His head rested in his hands and they both saw his shoulders heave once before they turned away.

“If you don’t need us anymore, we’re going to head back to the school, sir,” Ron said to Professor Dumbledore.

“No, you may leave if you would like,” he replied.

Ron took Hermione’s hand in his and led her out of the room. “He never had a chance, did he?” Ron asked once the door closed behind them.

“Yes he did," Hermione replied. "Professor Snape is not the only one in his line. His mother and father both had siblings. He has cousins that are as much of Morgana and Mordred’s blood as he is. He chose to become a Death Eater and they did not. His choices sealed his fate. I have sympathy for him, but I truly have sympathy for his wife and child. He deceived her, and that led her to her death and the death of her child."

“How do you know his family tree?” Ron asked.

“After Professor Dumbledore made us the Keepers and told us of Morgana and Mordred’s wands, I traced their lines. I figured that it would have to be one of their descendants who would wield the wands. I didn’t know that it would be Professor Snape and Draco, but I was not surprised at all to hear it was them.”

Ron stopped and turned to her. “Even Ginny would never have come up with that. You really are the most brilliant witch of your age.”

“Of my age?” Hermione asked glaring at him playfully.

“Ok, maybe in all of history,” Ron mumbled.

“Sorry, I didn’t hear that,”

“I said, Ok, maybe in all of history,” Ron sighed, rolling his eyes.

“And don’t you forget it, Ronald Weasley,” she teased poking him in the chest to punctuate her words.

Ron took her hand in his and started down the hallway again. As if she isn’t difficult enough, he thought to himself.

“I heard that,” Hermione thought to him.

“Oy get out of my head, that’s cheating,” Ron replied.

“Are you sure you want me out?” Hermione asked pushing an image across their connection.

Ron swallowed hard before replying. “I’ll race you home.”

“That’s what I thought,” Hermione said breaking into a run towards the Ministry apparition point with Ron hot on her heals.

********************


Harry sat, staring at the two pictures on the table in front of him. The first was of Bridgette Weasley. The other had been taken at his sixteenth birthday more than two years ago.

There were a number of people in the older photo who were among the dead now. Bridgette’s mother and father had both died on the night of the attack on Slytherin castle, along with Bill and Arthur Weasley, Katie Bell, Hagrid, Professor McGonagall, and Victor Krum. Since then, Remus Lupin and Lee Jordan had been killed in a raid and Tonks had been severely injured in another. She had spent five weeks in St. Mungoe’s. There had also been numerous other deaths and injuries to people Harry did not know very well or at all.

Harry wiped the tears from his eyes, and shook his head trying to clear it. He had done his part, and even though he sometimes wanted to be out there fighting, helping, he knew he was not healed enough to do it yet. His fourth voice still wouldn’t wake up; though when he forced it to yesterday, it had been less hostile than that day in the hospital wing three weeks ago.

Harry looked up when the door to his and Ginny’s flat opened and smiled. “How was class?” he asked.

Ginny scowled at him. “Wonderful, Snape gave us three rolls and it’s the first week back. He’s only marginally nicer too.” Harry held his arms out and Ginny sat down in his lap, kissing him gently on the lips.

“And you, how is the makeup work coming?” she asked. Harry had missed the last three months of his seventh year, he had to make up the work and take his N.E.W.T.’s before he could graduate. Mark, the Unspeakable who had helped him train against the Cruciatus Curse, was tutoring him.

Harry had been truly surprised at how much he was still learning even though he had been given the knowledge of the Keepers way back in January. Hermione had been correct in her assertion that there was always something new or more to learn.

“It’s going ok,” Harry replied closing his eyes as he leaned his head back against the couch.

“You still get tired easily,” Ginny said quietly.

“Mmmm.”

“That’s all I get from you after not seeing you all day, Potter?” Ginny snapped playfully at him. Harry smiled but didn’t open his eyes.

“That’s the girl I’ve been missing,” he teased her.

“Is that a fact, Potter?” Ginny snarled at him. Harry’s eyes opened and he laughed at her. “I can see it is time to stop babying you,” she remarked.

“I want to go flying, Gin,” he said.

“No, you may not,” she answered glaring at him. Harry just smiled at her. She melted a few seconds later.

“If you’re good, I’ll take you out there this weekend.” Harry scowled at her. “Don’t give me that. That is a week earlier than Madam Pomfrey wants you to be on a broom. You will take it and be happy with it, Potter.”

“Yes, Gin,” Harry replied, knowing he had just gotten a major concession from a very protective wife. Harry had only been out of the hospital wing for two weeks now and Ginny had barely let him out of her sight the entire time. Mark had to practically throw her out of the flat on the first day of class two days ago.

“How are Ron and Hermione?” Harry asked. Ron had been offered the Assistant Flying coach position by Dumbledore and Hermione had taken the position of Transfiguration Professor that had been left empty with the death of Professor McGonagall. The two of them had had numerous other offers, but both had wanted to do something away from the spotlight for a while. Ron was, however, working out with the Chuddley Cannons two times a week.

It seemed a new offer came in every week for each of them. Few people knew the whole truth of what Ron, and Hermione had done in the defeat of Voldemort. But, when word got out that the Unspeakables had offered both of them and Harry positions, everyone had taken that as a clue that they would be worth the risk. Even the rumor that Ginny would be offered a spot by the Unspeakables, when she finished school, had brought a stack of letters from interested employers for her.

Harry was finding himself torn as he healed. He had more than one offer to tryout for different quidditch teams himself once he had recovered. And the idea of just doing something for fun sounded thrilling. The problem he was having was Dumbledore had asked him to teach the Defense Against the Dark Arts class once he had taken his N.E.W.T.s.

Dumbledore wanted him to teach years 1-3 starting in January and then next year, he and Cho would be partners teaching all of the years together. Dumbledore was tempting him because he wanted to keep training Harry, take him further than he was now.

Harry knew, despite having defeated Voldemort, that you never knew everything and Dumbledore was the best person to learn from. Harry wanted to do both, but Dumbledore was old and he wondered if he would still be around to learn from if he took a few years to play quidditch first.

He knew one thing, he would be teaching starting in January. There was no way he was leaving Ginny’s side now that Dumbledore had made it possible for him to stay at Hogwarts with her. He wouldn’t be ready to tryout for a quidditch team till next spring anyways. He had a long way to go to get back in shape for the game. Harry wasn’t sure he would ever regain the form he once had.

“They're going to stop by later after you have napped and we have had dinner,” Ginny replied.

“I miss having them in here with us, it feels empty,” Harry answered.

“I do too, but it is a little difficult as they are both my Professors now too.”

“I will be a professor in January too you know. Dumbledore may make me move out,” Harry teased her.

“You will not be my professor and if he tries it, he will find himself with a green beard and purple hair,” Ginny replied as she stood up and tossed a blanket at him. “It's nap time ickle, Harry.” Harry started to grumble but she cut him off with her glare. Harry lay back on the couch and closed his eyes.

“Have a nice nap, Husband.”

“Yes, Mum,” he mocked her. Harry felt her continuing to glare at him while he laid there.

“You better not open those eyes, Potter,” she remarked.

Harry just smiled again.

********************


Harry led his blindfolded wife through the throngs of people, who paid them no mind whatsoever. He stopped at the beginning of the queue and looked at the monstrosity himself for the first time. His heart skipped a beat as he took it in. Seeing one like this; he had to wonder about the sanity of Muggles.

“What are you doing with me, Potter?” Ginny asked excitedly. She couldn’t imagine what he had planned now. The week had been one huge surprise after another. She had no more than received her diploma from Professor Dumbledore, when Harry had come up to her, kissed her on the cheek, touched the diploma himself, tapped it with his wand and she had found herself spinning through space, the familiar tug of a portkey in her stomach. The first thing he had done upon landing was to wish her happy second anniversary.

It was the honeymoon and anniversary celebration that they had never gotten to do because it had been too dangerous for them to go on a honeymoon. And Harry had been in a coma for their first anniversary. Ron and Hermione had joined them two days ago, and they would be meeting up with them for dinner tonight. Harry had told her they were going to travel for the next two weeks around the world together, just having fun before they headed back to Hogwarts for Cho and Neville’s wedding.

Harry stepped behind Ginny, positioning her so she could see the giant structure and pulled off the blindfold.

“It’s the largest one in the world, Gin,” he whispered in her ear. Ginny stared, not knowing what she was looking at.

“Do you remember, that day at my vault when you asked to borrow money from me? You asked me to take you someday,” he said. Ginny’s mind raced through the memory and then it came to her.

“Harry, is that…” she breathed.

“Yes, Gin. It is,” Harry replied.