Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Unlocked Mind by Huskers

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: As always, I own none of this. I am making no
money from it, so please Mrs. Rowling if you read this
don’t sue me. A comment or two would be welcome
though.


Please, if you read, take two minutes to review.





Harry Potter and the Unlocked Mind


Chapter 4 The General Begins to Plan




The Hogwart’s vault for all of its potions notes was vast. As large as the school library, it stretched on seemingly endlessly -- shelf after shelf full of aging, leather bound tomes, scrolls and loose pieces of yellowed, brittle parchment all arranged by date and the type of potion that had been researched soared from the floor to the ceiling more than thirty feet above them. The colossal stones that formed the deepest foundations of the castle, created a cave like climate in the vault that provided the perfect environment to preserve the different parchments in. Light was provided not by torches, whose smoke would contribute to decay of the priceless knowledge recorded in the tomes, but by hundreds of lit wands all through the vault.

In the short time that Hermione and Ginny had been descending into the deepest bowels of the castle, far below the dungeon where potions class was held, Hermione had come to one amazing conclusion. It seemed that nearly a third of all the discoveries and advances in potions making had come from a student. It was a concept that had thrilled her, and now as she and Ginny sorted through page after page of parchment, she was onto something herself.

Setting the thought aside for later, she looked over to where Ginny was sitting at the table nearly buried under precariously leaning stacks of notes, that without magic holding them up would have crashed down on her in an avalanche of dust, and debris hours ago. Sighing, she shook her head, wondering exactly why Professor Dumbledore had given her access to the vault. Surely it couldn’t be just to help her continuing efforts to teach Ron and Harry. If that was all he wanted her to do, all she needed was access to Snape’s supply cabinet and the books for seventh year potions. Not that she hadn’t been given access to that also, but there had to be some other reason for her and Ginny getting to sift through more than a thousand years of some of Hogwart’s best kept secrets. Unfortunately, Professor Dumbledore had not given her any direction, only that she would have access to the notes.

As she sat there, Hermione found herself wondering what Professor Snape would think of her looking through all of this. He had to know she was in here. She had been dreading how he would react the first time he came in here and found her. She was more than glad that Professor Dumbledore had agreed to let Ginny accompany her.

Hermione mentally shook herself trying to clear her head and found herself watching Ginny; she was more and more in awe of her every day. Ginny was pushing Harry harder than ever. They had only been doing occlumency and legilimency with Harry for a week, when she had gotten tired of Harry always being able to throw them out of his mind, most of the time none of them could even get in. She had forced Harry into taking on her and Ron at the same time in an attempt to push him.

Hermione’s mind wandered back to yesterday. She had watched Harry, his face contorted with the effort of fighting them both, sink down to the floor on one knee in front of them after almost two hours of continuous effort. Finally he had hit Ron with a binding curse when he had gotten too far into Harry’s mind. Harry had fought Ginny for another hour before she collapsed to the floor. She had pulled away from him with enough strength left to tell Hermione to attack him before she passed out.

Hermione had fought Harry, battling back and forth with him, for another forty-five minutes. She had gotten into his mind deeper yesterday than ever before, looking for whatever it was that had caused him to curse Ron. His counter attack on her had been brutal. She had been forced to relive every nightmare she had ever had about losing Ron. She had finally managed to push him out into the white cloud she protected herself with and then he had drained her as she tried to get back in his head. Harry had let her go just before she collapsed.

Hermione grimaced slightly as the memory continued to roll through her mind. Ginny had recovered while Hermione had fought Harry and must have picked up with him again when she collapsed, because when Hermione had recovered she had looked up to see Harry falling to the floor completely spent with Ginny standing over him. She had levitated him to hers and Harry’s bed and then collapsed next to him. Neither one had woken for dinner, sleeping all the way through to morning. How Ginny found the strength to fight again, Hermione couldn’t fathom.

Now, today, she had insisted that Harry and Ron work on occlumency again today. The three of them had weakened Harry yesterday and Ginny was forcing him to fight when he had not recovered completely. Forcing him and by default all of them to find new depths to which they could dig for strength.

The next thing you know she will have Dumbledore down here and force Harry to fight him, Ron and us at the same time, said a new, third voice in Hermione’s head. Hermione started.

Where did you come from? she asked, a small smile playing across her mouth.

Not really sure. I’m just here, the voice replied.

Well as long as you are, do you have any ideas of what we should look for in here? Hermione’s second voice asked.

Look for stuff that might be dark magic. Maybe we can find some clues to what Voldemort has done to himself that makes him only vulnerable to Harry, the third voice replied.

Dark magic? Hermione’s first asked timidly.

We don’t have to use it. But we can fight it better if we understand it, the third voice responded.

“Ginny,” Hermione said quietly.

“Yes, Mione.”

“Look for dark magic potions, maybe we can find some clues as to what Voldemort has done to himself.” Ginny regarded Hermione for a minute.

“Let’s skim a bunch of stuff first, stack anything that might be useful on this table. Stuff we don’t need put back on the shelves.”

********************



Harry and Ron squared off in front of each other in the sitting area of their flat; wands at the ready. Circling each other warily, Harry waited until he had maneuvered Ron so the light streaming in the window hit him in the eyes, causing a momentary distraction.

“Legilimens!” he said casting his spell. Ron was less then half a second behind him in sending the same spell at Harry. Both still drained from the day before, the battle of wills began in earnest. It had only taken a glare from Ginny at each of them to stop their complaints about being to tired after yesterday to practice today to get them to shut up. Now, Harry dug deep into himself trying to reach for what Ginny believed was there and Ron pushed hoping to bring it to the surface. Neither wanted to have to do this again with her later that day if she didn’t think they had done enough. They both knew it would not be pretty if she wasn’t satisfied. Worse, Hermione seemed at times, to be turning into a slightly tamer version of Ginny, herself.

Ron could feel Harry was weak when he first entered the white cloud. It was not nearly as dense as it had been yesterday. Harry’s thoughts were much closer to the surface than normal. Reaching out with his mind, he tried to latch on to one of them.

Harry’s head spun. He was in his fourth year again, the imposter Mad-Eye had him under the Imperious curse. His second voice developed telling him to fight. Harry was flying, Ginny was falling blood spraying in the air from her collision with Cho Chang. Harry’s third voice developed demanding that he catch her falling body. He couldn’t do it she was still falling.

No! Harry roared. That did not happen, I saved her!

Ron was back in the vast whiteness that Harry protected his mind with. Fighting each other, their strength draining rapidly, neither of them was able to penetrate beyond. Ron could feel Harry’s defense weakening, He knew that Harry would not quit, that was not an option. He felt Harry’s memories coming to the surface, he could go anywhere now, but there was no point. He just needed to make Harry fight to exhaustion. Ron pulled out of his own attack letting Harry continue with his.

Harry knew he was beaten, but he also knew the rules. He had to fight until he collapsed. He had demanded the same from Ron, Hermione and Ginny. Now it was his turn to trust Ron to release him before he was really hurt. Harry’s mind was fogging as it had with Ginny yesterday the voices were screaming at him to get out while he still could. Harry sank to his knees looking for anything to give him strength to keep going. He had been more exhausted against Voldemort. He had to push beyond that, endure more, so he had the strength to deliver the final blow.

Ron skimmed Harry’s mind again feeling the turmoil. He marveled at how long Harry was holding on, refusing to give in.

Find something that will make him lash out, the voices said to Ron. Ron skimmed the memories in Harry’s mind again. He was vaguely aware that Harry was screaming in agony.

Harry’s head spun. He was in the field again. Voldemort was standing over Ron, Hermione and Ginny. This was the nightmare that came from discovering the Phoenix charm, the one where Ron did not raise himself to save Hermione. Three bolts of light flew from Voldemort’s wand striking Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. They were dead.

“Arrghhh!” Ron flew back into the wall smacking his head hard enough to see stars. He dropped to his knees and crawled over to Harry who was laying face down on the floor. He rolled Harry over lifting his head onto his lap.

“Come on, mate, wake up,” he said, slapping Harry’s face lightly. Harry groaned and opened his eyes.

“I’m sorry, Harry, but that hurt less than what Ginny would do to me if I hadn’t pushed you so hard.” Harry rolled over struggling to push himself to his knees.

“I know, Ron. It’s ok,” Harry replied.

“Harry, how are we going to be able to fight when the time comes if we are exhausted at the start?” Ron asked him after a few minutes.

“How exhausted were you today compared to the first day we did this, Ron?”

“I was fully rested that day,” Ron replied.

“And how long did you fight that day compared to today?”

“Not very long,” Ron said shaking his head. He struggled to his feet, reached down and offered his hand to Harry, helping him up.

“Harry, where are you now compared to after the fight with Voldemort?”

“I could fight him longer now, Ron. The problem is he will be stronger the next time we meet. Every time we have met and he has initiated some kind of contact with my mind, he has left me stronger than I was before. I’m worried that I might have made him stronger by initiating contact with his mind this time.”

Ron sat down heavily on the couch. Harry joined him they sat quietly for a long time. Harry wasn’t thinking about anything, but Ron’s mind was alive. He could feel that something was just below the surface he just couldn’t reach it yet.

We need to find some way of weakening him before Harry has to fight him, the voices said quietly to him.

I know, the question is how, Ron replied.

We’re not sure yet.

Well work on it we’re running out of time, Ron told them.

“Damn!” Harry spat to no one in particular.

“What was that for?” Ron asked, startled at Harry’s outburst.

“Voldemort just broke the Death Eaters we captured out of jail,” Harry sighed, holding his head in his hands. “I should have killed them when I had the chance,” he mumbled under his breath. Ron didn’t even think it was odd that he wasn’t questioning Harry’s announcement regarding the Death Eaters. He studied Harry for a moment.

“Harry are you ok?”

“Trying to close him out,” Harry muttered back to him. Ron watched Harry for awhile again.

“Harry, I need you to promise me something,” Ron said quietly.

“What, Ron?” Harry sighed. He had just managed to close out the last of the prickling coming from his scar.

“Don’t ever try to get in my head without telling me you are,” Harry looked at him confused by the request.

“I never have, Ron, but why?”

“I can’t tell you, Harry. Just promise me.” Harry studied Ron for a few minutes. Ron closed his eyes.

“I promise, Ron,” Harry said.

“Thanks, Harry,” Ron replied. “Do you think we should go see Dumbledore about the Death Eaters?” he asked after a short pause.

“I’m sure he knows already, but we could go talk to him anyways. At the very least, I could use a walk,” Harry replied.

“Let’s go then,” Ron said, standing up and heading for the door.

********************


Ginny lay in bed watching Harry sleep again, she could tell he was agitated. He had been ever since she had made him fight her and Ron at the same time, then after he had beaten them both she had set Hermione on him. She had not expected him to beat Hermione, but he had. She had recovered to watch the last fifteen minutes of their fight. When Hermione had fallen she had attacked him again. She had beaten him. Together they had almost pushed Harry as far as Voldemort had.

Ginny reached out with her hand to touch him. Harry sighed deeply when her hand touched his.

Thank Merlin we can give him peace, the voices whispered to her. Ginny smiled. She knew it was her fault that he was in this state. It broke her heart to do it, but then she knew she had to. For some reason, Harry would fight for her. The only way she could fight for him was to push him, so she did.

Harry rolled over again so he was facing her. His eyes opened a few minutes later.

“You’re always awake watching me, do you ever sleep?” Harry’s thought came into her head.

“I like to see you at peace,” Ginny replied.

This was happening every morning now when they woke up. The intimacy of being in each other’s minds was wonderful. Ginny wasn’t even sure that making love would be as intimate as this. Having decided the risk of bringing a child into their lives even with contraceptive charms was more than either wanted to take right now, this was what they had found to satiate both of their desires. It wasn’t easy, but it helped.

Ginny had not told Harry, but she and Hermione had talked about it. Ron and Hermione had reached the same conclusions as Harry and Ginny. One night they had come close to breaking their vow. Ginny had told Hermione about how she and Harry let each other in every night before they fell asleep, and when they woke in the morning. They would bring memories they wanted to share to the surface for each other. The wave of comfort was intense. Hermione had thanked her approximately a thousand times the next day.

“What do you have for me this morning?” Harry asked. Ginny smiled at him.

Harry felt her memory coming up from deep within her allowing him to leave the vast white emptiness he was standing in. He was watching himself crying on Ginny’s shoulder in the cart outside of his vault at Gringots last summer. Seeing it from her point of view, feeling the sorrow she felt at his pain, but also the joy she felt because he was letting her comfort him. Harry understood how much this memory meant to her, how intensely private a moment it was. The joy he felt that she was showing it to him was intense. Harry pulled himself away from her receding into the emptiness again.

“Thank you, Gin,” he said to her.

“My turn?” Harry could sense her eagerness.

Ginny felt something stirring deep under the wall that protected Harry’s mind. She was watching herself walk down the aisle on her fathers arm. She could feel Harry’s emotions when he first saw her. Catching that his heart skipped a beat, that he was only vaguely aware of Hermione next to her, a girl that she thought was much more attractive than herself. Ginny felt the rush of excitement go through Harry when her father had placed her hand in his. She began to pull out of his memory into the emptiness again.

“I love you, Husband,” Ginny said to him. Harry smiled at her.

“Do you know what it does to me when you call me that?”

“Show me!” Ginny demanded the thought exploding in Harry’s mind.

“Tonight.”

“Prat,” Ginny said out loud pouting at him. Harry laughed at her. Ginny rolled over, turning away from him pretending to be mad.

“You’re a tease,” she grumbled at him when he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her back into his stomach.

“I’ll give you two tonight,” Harry whispered nibbling on the back of her neck.

“Promise?” Ginny grasped at his offer.

“Promise,” Harry replied. Ginny rolled back over to face him pulling his lips to hers kissing him deeply.

“Can we stay here all day, Gin?”

“We’re going to get hungry.”

“Dobby will bring food in here if we ask,” Harry replied.

“That, will royally hack off Hermione, and having her mad at you is only slightly less appealing than making me mad, Potter,” Harry sighed, and then before he could stop himself.

“Well then, I guess you had better get up and get me something to eat,” he said shoving her out of the bed. Ginny hit the floor in a heap and sprang back up instantly.

“Oh, now you’re dead, Potter,” she growled at him. Harry had scrambled out of the bed and was opposite her now as she turned to face him.

“You don’t scare me, Gin.” Harry grinned at her.

“Is that a fact, Potter?” Ginny had found her wand on the floor, and was hiding it behind her back.

“Wand’s are cheating, Gin.” Ginny glared at him.

“Says who?”

“Me.”

Ginny dropped her wand and leapt onto the bed jumping across it at Harry. He caught her in his arms, falling back to the floor with her. Ginny was tickling him. Harry fought back, but she was strong, and there was only one spot on her side that she seemed to be ticklish. Harry was ticklish everywhere.

“Ok, ok you win, Gin,” he said gasping for air.

Ginny moved to straddle over him pinning his arms down to the floor under her legs.

“That won’t cut it, Potter,” she said, glaring down at him crossing her arms across her chest.

“No?” Harry asked, smiling at her.

“No.”

“What?”

“Breakfast in bed, you will serve me,” Ginny replied. Harry looked at her.

“Your wish is my command, Gin,” Harry whispered to her. Ginny stood up and climbed back into the bed.

“I want strawberries, Potter,” she called to him as Harry headed out the bedroom door.

“As you wish,” Harry called back to her.

Harry walked back into the room a few minutes later with a tray for her. Dobby had brought him some toast, bacon, juice and a bowl of strawberries. He looked at his wife sitting up against the headboard, with the covers bundled around her waist. Harry felt his heart flutter at the picture.

“Come sit with me, Husband,” Ginny said quietly to him. Harry set the tray on her lap and sat down next to her.

“My toast needs to be buttered, and I like it with marmalade,” Ginny whispered, leaning her head on his shoulder. Harry laughed.

This is kind of a fun game, the voices said to him, as he spread the butter on Ginny’s toast followed by marmalade. Harry handed it to her.

“Thank you,” Ginny whispered taking it from him. Harry watched her eat.

“I’m thirsty now,” Ginny said quietly. Harry smiled in spite of himself. He picked up a glass of juice and tipped it to her lips, gazing intently into her eyes as she drank.

The clouds are gone from his eyes, the voices said to her.

“That is much nicer than when Bridgette was doing it,” Ginny whispered when he lowered the glass from her lips. Harry picked up a napkin and wiped a drop of juice from her lips.

“Thank you.”

Harry suppressed a laugh, Ginny was blushing at him. He watched her pick a berry out of the bowl.

“Let me show you what to do, Husband,” Ginny said while lifting the berry to his lips. Harry opened his mouth and she pushed the berry into his waiting lips. As Harry closed his mouth, Ginny left the tip of her finger there for him to kiss. Harry watched her eyes, drowning into their sparkling depths.

“Let me see if I have it right?” he said, repeating the process for Ginny. When he pushed the berry into her mouth Ginny leaned forward and closed her lips around his finger for an instant. A surge of electricity ran up Harry’s arm and coursed through the rest his body.

“You need more practice,” she told him licking her lips.

“Is that a fact?”

“Yes, here let me show you again.” Harry and Ginny took turns feeding each other until the strawberries were gone. Harry set the tray on the floor when they had finished. Ginny had scooted down on the bed again lying on her side.

“Come, let me look at you,” she said. Harry lay down on his side facing her again.

“Do you love me, Gin?”

“Yes, Harry, I love you,” Ginny replied, watching his eyes. Harry smiled at her again and they stayed that way for a long time.

“No, don’t go,” Ginny whispered desperately as she watched the clouds come back.

“Hold me, Gin. Let me be weak for a minute,” he pleaded back to her, as his eyes started to glisten. Ginny rolled onto her back and pulled Harry to her placing his head on her chest. She began to run her fingers through his hair.

“Tonight I get to be weak, Husband.” Harry found her hand and wove his fingers between hers.

“Thank you, Wife,” Harry replied before he fell asleep in her arms.

Harry woke up hours later still lying on Ginny’s chest.

“You haven’t moved since you fell asleep,” she said when he looked up at her.

“Only a fool would move from this spot,” Harry replied. “You’re blushing,” Harry teased her a moment later.

“I am not,” Ginny snapped glaring at him.

“Gin, you’re beautiful when you’re mad.” Harry laughed at her and then settled back down with his head on her chest.

“What time is it?” he asked a short while later.

“Almost time for lunch.”

“You let me sleep all morning?” he asked, surprised that his task master had softened.

“Hermione and I decided that we all needed a day off….It will allow us to go even further tomorrow,” Ginny replied quietly.

Even in giving us time to rest she looks to push us harder, the voices said in exasperation inside Harry’s head.

Do you really mind? Harry replied to them.

No, as long as we wake up next to her tomorrow, she can make any demand she wants, they replied.

“Are we staying in bed all day then?” Harry asked.

“No, Hermione has some surprise for us this afternoon.”

“What is it?” Harry asked excitement evident in his voice.

“She wouldn’t tell me. But her last surprise was pretty good,” Ginny replied. She sounded as excited as Harry. Harry pushed himself up and gave her a kiss.

“Come on, Gin. Let’s go get them.”

********************



Ron ran along the edge of the lake just getting his feet wet trying to break the scent trail he was leaving behind. Hermione, Harry and Ginny were coming. He had to find some way of getting behind them, or he was going to be in trouble. Not that he wasn’t toast anyways, he could take Harry alone, and he could handle both Hermione and Ginny together in his animagus form but all three of them, it was a not a battle he would win. Ron found what he was looking for and with a gigantic leap he reached the bottom branch of the tree that was over-hanging the lake.

Harry and Ginny followed along behind Hermione, she was teaching them how to hunt Ron by his scent. Hermione had transfigured both Harry and Ginny into lions. Harry was about thirty pounds lighter than Ron, golden brown with a very dark shaggy mane. Ginny was also a little smaller than Hermione, with a reddish brown coat. She was not as strong as Hermione, but had been absolutely ferocious during the first wrestling match earlier that afternoon.

Hermione stopped; she sniffed at the ground deeply where Ron had started to run through the water, and then moved to the side to let Harry and Ginny take in his scent also. Hermione transformed back to her human form.

“He’s running in the water so we can’t trail him. He is going that direction because it puts him downwind of us, carrying our scent on the wind to him,” she said to them and then changed back into a lion. Harry and Ginny brushed up against her to indicate that they understood. Hermione set off again with Harry and Ginny trailing behind.

Harry watched Hermione intently; trying to learn how to hunt. He raised his head and sniffed the air, the confusion and intensity of smells that came to his brain was overwhelming. He recognized all of them, he had smelled it before, but now he could identify what things were by the scent they left behind. Hermione was right. This was absolutely thrilling.

Ginny watched Harry closely. She could have kissed Hermione for this, in fact she had. She could see Harry regaining his strength as the day went along. She was enjoying this as much as Harry was, the wrestling match with him had been more fun than she would have imagined. What really mattered to her though was Harry was having fun, forgetting about Voldemort and training to fight him. He was going to be unbelievably strong tomorrow when they worked on occlumency and legilimency with him.

Hermione stopped, she knew Ron was close. His scent was in the air swirling around, but she could not pinpoint where he was.

Ron watched them approach from up in the trees. He had managed to climb through the branches to a tree that was further into the woods than the one he first jumped into by the lake. Hermione was at that tree now. He lost sight of them as they moved past him. He would have to move quickly, the wind was now going to blow his scent to them.

He’s behind us! the voices screamed at Hermione.

She spun just in time to see Ron charging at them. Harry and Ginny spun half a second later as they watched Hermione leap into the air, with an earsplitting roar, to meet Ron in mid leap. She was overwhelmed by him in a second and slammed onto her back on the ground.

Harry and Ginny joined the fray, slamming into Ron, knocking him off of Hermione. The three of them quickly surrounded Ron. Ron spun to face Harry, roaring at him, daring him to attack. Harry roared and leapt, he and Ron met fangs and claws ripping at each other. Ron threw Harry to the ground and spun to catch Hermione and Ginny coming at him. A second later Harry was part of the battle again. The three of them forced Ron back. Ron began to fight more and more ferociously, driving them off of him, getting a hold of Hermione and slamming her to the ground, he pinned her under him and stood there snarling at Harry and Ginny.

Harry was about to attack again when Ginny slammed into him from the side, Harry battled back with Ginny.

She is brutal, the voices said to him

Well don’t let her win, we may be playing, but she will be hacked off if we lose, Harry replied desperately.

Harry finally managed to gain an advantage and slammed Ginny down on her back under him. Ginny struggled under Harry snarling furiously at him. She finally stopped fighting, and Harry could hear her start purring. Harry collapsed next to her, Ron and Hermione padded over and flopped down next to them. They stayed that way for a long time. Lounging in the shade of the trees as the sunlight filtered through the leaves to the ground. It was well past normal dinner time when the headed back up to the castle and their flat.

********************


“Thank you Hermione,” Harry whispered to her as the four of them sat watching the fire burn down in their shared sitting area. She had sat down next to him on the couch after Dobby had brought them dinner, and was now lying with her head in Harry’s lap. She rolled to face him wrapped her arms around him pressing her face into his stomach, hugging him tightly.

“Your welcome, Harry,” she said replied. Harry was a little surprised at her display of affection; he looked at Ron who smiled at him.

“Why don’t we all stay out here tonight,” Ron suggested from the chair he was sitting in with Ginny. “Tomorrow will be here soon enough. Let’s keep the perfection of this day going for a little while longer.”

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Ginny said getting up from the chair. “But I would like my husband back if you don’t mind, Hermione.” Hermione sat up sighing.

“If you must.”

“What am I chopped liver?” Ron asked in a fake hurt voice.

“Sorry, Ron, but when you’ve got it….You’ve got it,” Harry shot at him.

“Oh shut it,” Ron replied pulling Hermione onto the floor with him.

“Hi, Love,” she said to him as she snuggled in.

“Good night you two,” Ginny said quietly as she pulled Harry onto the floor. Harry lay on his side, his eyes blazing and clear, gazing into hers.

“You’re turn to be weak, Gin,” Harry thought to her.

“You owe me two memories, Potter.” Harry smiled at her.

“You want them out here?”

“No, you will have to give me four tomorrow night,” Ginny replied, smiling back at him.

“Four?”

“Two for tonight, one for tomorrow morning and one for tomorrow night, Husband.”

“Come and be weak, Wife.” Harry whispered to her pulling her head to his chest.

“I love you, Harry.”

“Go to sleep, Gin.” Harry felt Ginny relax and her breathing become slow and steady. He fell asleep himself to the feel of her heart beating against him.


Author's note:

Pretty much just a fun chapter. Hope you liked it.