Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Mirror by Lishkish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mirror
Chapter Five~~~DADA Teacher



Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny found a compartment all to themselves and settled in. For the most part of the trip it was quiet, until, as was inevitable, Draco Malfoy and his two thugs, Crabbe and Goyle, paid them a visit.

“Well, well. The Gryffindor Prefects!” Draco said, sneering. “I would have thought they would have picked a better suited pair this time,” Draco muttered sadly, shaking his head.

“Get out of it, Malfoy,” Ginny said, glaring at him.

“Oh, look who has gained a mind of her own! Still panting after Potter? Hoping that his riches will help your poor family?” Crabbe and Goyle sniggered, loudly.

“Leave her alone, and get out of here, now,” said Harry, standing up and putting his hand in his pocket, gripping his wand.

“Yeah, don’t you have somewhere else to be? Visiting your dad in Azkaban maybe?” Hermione shot at him. Malfoy’s cool smile vanished.

“Keep your bushy head out of other people’s business, you disgusting little-” But Ron interrupted him, by shoving his wand under Malfoy's nose.

“Finish that sentence,” Ron dared, his face contorted in rage. Crabbe and Goyle started forward, but were met by Harry and Ginny’s unyielding wands. “Get out of here.” Malfoy snorted in disgust, but having very little choice, he nodded to Crabbe and Goyle and left them alone.

Ron glared at Malfoys retreating back. “One of these days,” Ron said.

“Just forget it, Ron,” said Hermione, sitting back down. “You’re only giving him what he wants if you choose to be violent about it.” Ron shook his head.

“I don’t care. If he calls you a Mudblood again I’ll run him through.” Harry nodded. Ginny sat down beside Hermione.

“What a git. Did you happen to notice that he wasn’t wearing a badge?” They all nodded, starting to smile. The rest of the journey to Hogwarts was pretty uneventful. When they arrived, Ron and Ginny were just finishing up a game of Gobstones.

“Come on, Ron!” Hermione said impatiently. Harry stood next to her, holding Hedwig
under his arm and struggling with his trunk. Ron quickly put the game away, and then
grabbed his own things. They walked out into the open, looking around them.

“Firs’ years! Over ‘ere! Firs year! Come on, now. Don’t take all day!” They all looked
around to see Hagrid who waved merrily at them. Harry beamed. He had been hoping that Hagrid wouldn’t be away on business for the Order. Still waving at Hagrid, Harry heard his friends gasp. He turned to see what they were looking at. They were staring transfixed at the Thestrals. Harry looked smugly at Ron.

“See,” Harry said. “They DO exist.” Ron gaped.

“You mean, all those years, THOSE have been pulling the carriages?!” Ron said, looking at Harry.

“Well, I only started seeing them last year, but Luna Lovegood says they have been there all along.” Ron nodded, still staring.

“They’re so ugly…” Ginny whispered. “What are they again? And why can I see them?” Harry was about to remind her about Hagrid’s class on Thestrals but remembered she hadn’t been there.

“They are Thestrals, and they appear when you have seen death,” Harry explained. Ginny stared.

“I saw Death Eaters die at the Ministry,” Ginny said, thinking out loud. Harry nodded.

“Come on,” Hermione said, shivering, “I am freezing!” So they all went inside.

When they were all seated comfortably at the Gryffindor House table, Dumbledore stood up. Harry smiled.

“Welcome,” Dumbledore said, opening his arms to the crowd, “to yet another year at Hogwarts. Now, I have a very long list of things to tell, and it will take up quite a bit of time.” There was a soft groan from the crowd, and Harry’s stomach growled in protest. “However,” Dumbledore said, a twinkle in his eye, “Since that list happens to be my grocery list, I will detain you no longer, and let the feast begin!” There were many chuckles from the crowd, and immediately food appeared on the golden dishes. Harry grinned, feeling, for the first time since the loss of Sirius, truly happy.

When Harry was sure that he would explode if he ate another bite, and people started talking, Dumbledore stood up again. He cleared his throat and everybody quieted immediately.

“I do, actually have a few mandatory things I need to go over. Firstly, I would like to remind our students that the Forbidden Forest is exactly as it says; Forbidden. Now, we do have a few new members of our staff. I would like to introduce our new Caretaker, Anya Graham.”

Everybody clapped as a grumpy looking, middle-aged woman stood up from her chair at the staff table. She was very large around the middle, and reminded Harry remarkably of Aunt Marge. Except that she had very large glasses on, and was garbed in all black.


“Why is it that all of our caretakers have to look like they just crawled out of the dumpster?” Ron asked quietly. Harry shrugged, coughing to cover his laugh. Hermione sent them a glare to be quite. Harry grinned apologetically at her and turned his attention back to Dumbledore.

“I ask,” he continued, “that you pay her just as much respect as you gave to Filch.” Dumbledore’s mouth twitched slightly at this. “And lastly, I would like to introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher…” he motioned to a woman who stood up nervously. Harry stared, his eyes nearly popped out of his head.

“Harry…” Hermione whispered. “Isn’t that your Aunt?!”