Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Mirror by Lishkish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mirror
Chapter Six~~~The Mirror Returns



Harry nearly fell out of his seat as he stared at her. It was, without a doubt, his Aunt Petunia. Around him people were clapping, looking interestedly at her. Harry couldn’t believe it. That whole time…Petunia was a witch?! Aunt Petunia looked around. Her usual fear of magic seemed to have vanished completely. She was looking around calmly at the students, and then her gaze fell on Harry. She made no signs of recognition, but just stared at him, not with hatred, not with fear, but with absolutely no emotion at all.

“You okay, Harry?” Ron asked, seeing Harry’s pale face. “Did you know? I mean, did somebody tell you or something?” Harry shook his head numbly. Ginny was looking at Petunia, glaring disgustedly. Harry closed his eyes tightly as Petunia resumed her seat. This couldn’t be happening. Just when Harry had thought he had escaped the Dursleys, Aunt Petunia had to come and teach a class? Why hadn’t she told him? Did Uncle Vernon know? All these questions buzzed around his already exhausted brain. It was all too much.

Harry was barely aware of Ginny, apparently taking pity on him, leading him through the crowd of people towards the Gryffindor Common Room. Halfway there Harry realized that he was walking. He looked at Ginny.

“Thanks,” he said looking at her oddly. She blushed.

“Well,” she said in a would-be casual voice, “You looked so dazed, I figured that if somebody didn’t help you, you would still be sitting there staring at your aunt. Is she really as bad as all that?”

“Worse,” Harry muttered. Ginny laughed. Together they worked their way through the crowd of people. “Wait a second…” Harry said. “I’m a Prefect! Shouldn’t I be doing something? Leading first years around or something?” Ginny shook her head.

“Hermione took care of it, don’t worry. Oh, drat, I have no idea what the password is.” She stopped at the portrait. Harry shrugged. Ginny looked pleadingly at the Fat Lady.

“No password, no entrance. Sorry, but…” She was cut off by Neville coming out of the Common Room.

“Hiya Harry, Ginny. Don’t know what the password is? Yeah, Ron just sent me to come and get you. I guess he was right. That password is ‘Dragon’s blood’” Harry and Ginny stepped in.

“Thanks, Neville,” Ginny said, smiling. Neville nodded, and went to sit by the fire. Ron came up to them.

“Feeling better Harry? Sorry I couldn’t stay with you but Hermione wanted me to help her herd the little midgets into the common room,” Ron said apologetically.

“Ron,” said Hermione coming up from behind. “They are not midgets!” Harry laughed. His head was swimming. He needed sleep.

“I’m going on up to bed,” he said groggily. Everybody bade him goodnight, and Harry left up the stairs. When he reached his four-poster bed, he felt suddenly at home. He took a deep breath, trying to relive some of the stress. He took off his shoes, and set them by the bedside table. That’s when he noticed a light blue envelope sitting on his bed. He sat down, and picked it up. It didn’t have any writing on it, and wasn’t sealed very well. He opened it, and reached inside. His heart doubled its speed. It was the mirror. The high pitched screaming started, this time followed by the sound of nails on a chalk board. Harry, knowing what would happen, dropped it on the floor and moved as far as possible away from it. He heard it clinking loudly on the ground, then, right before his eyes, it burst into flames. Harry stared, for in the flames, was a head. It was Sirius.

“Harry! Harry, are you there?! Harry! Harry you must help me! Please…” and then, it stopped. Harry expected it to explode, it didn’t however. He ran over to it, his heart pounding.

“SIRIUS! I am here! I’m right here! Where are you? SIRIUS!” Harry yelled, but Sirius was gone. Harry was looking desperately into the mirror, flipping it over in frustration. “Sirius, tell me where you are! Are you though the veil?! Are you…” but Harry was interrupted as Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, Dean Thomas, and Seamus Finnigan piled in.

“Harry! Are you alright, mate?” Dean asked.

“Harry, what is that? Are you okay?” said Ginny frantically, coming over to sit on the ground by him. She took the mirror out of his hands. “What is this Harry? Did it do something to you?”

“We heard awful screams…” Hermione whispered, closing her eyes. “Those came from the mirror?” Harry didn’t move. He wanted to be alone more than ever now. He had just seen Sirius, he seemed to be terrified. Should he be worried? Was this some sort of sick joke somebody was playing on him? All he knew now was that, somewhere, somehow, Sirius had been able to talk to him.

“Harry, I think you should show that to Dumbledore,” said Ron worriedly. Harry shook his head.

“Harry, don’t listen to that thing. These same circumstances drew you into a trap last year. Don’t let it happen again,” Ginny said. Harry nodded. She was right, of course. It was a trap, but in that moment that Sirius had talked t him, Harry had felt the most wonderful feeling of having Sirius back again. Even if he knew now that it was only to trick him.

“You’re right, it’s a phony. I’ll just get rid of it,” said Harry in a voice very unlike his own. They had tricked him once; they weren’t going to do it again. He walked over to the window, opened it, and chucked the mirror out. The only question now was who had sent it? Whoever it was obviously wanted him to go to the Ministry. But he knew better now. He had lost one person like that. It wasn’t going to happen again.