Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: “A Night to Remember, You say?” Minds out of the gutter, please! This is actually a somewhat dark chapter.


“Are you certain, Kingsley?” Arthur’s heart was racing with Shacklebolt’s announcement. Could it really be Percy this time?

“Quite, Arthur. I’ll head out there as soon as I can get another Auror.”

“Aurors? Why? Just send an owl and...”

“No, Arthur. Percy has been performing magic in the presence of a Muggle. Even if he’s ultimately found innocent you know what he’s facing.” Shacklebolt’s heart went out to the Weasley family. He had no idea what caused Percy to flee, and he knew Arthur didn’t know either, but his actions were going to incur Scrimgeour’s wrath, and he was the boss.

“Then I’ll go with you. Let me get my things.” Starting for the door, Shacklebolt stopped him.

“Arthur, I don’t think that’s wise. If Percy is running away from you or your family, seeing you might frighten him off.”

As much as he hated to admit it, Arthur knew Kingsley was correct. “Very well. I’ll wait here. Please let me know what happens.” Arthur sat back down, resigned to wait.

“Don’t expect any news until tomorrow, at the earliest, everyone is occupied and it appears Percy is stationary.”

“Yes, I’ll keep it quiet at home until I hear from you.”


_____


“So, Saturday and no school. What did you do on Saturdays before wasting your time with me, Peter?”

“Not much, I just hung around, chores, that sort of thing. Can I see more of the story today?”

“Tell you what, Peter. You go home and do your chores and come back this afternoon. Do that and I’ll tell you the story and buy you dinner, too.” Seven hours later Peter returned asking if they could start now.

“Yes, but let’s find a more comfortable spot.” Sitting on the ground and leaning against a fallen tree, Percy told Peter that this story was quite long and unless he wanted a numb bum when they were finished he should sit in the soft leaves.

“Ok, Peter, just a couple things before we start. Merlin is believed to be about forty when this story begins. You will also see distinct changes in his personality as the story progresses. Muggle doctors might call his behavior ‘schizophrenic’ because he’s started to loose a grasp on reality. You’ll meet a number of new persons in this story and pay attention to who they are, they have an important role in future stories. Now, are you ready?”

“Sure, Percy.”

Again the wand touched Percy’s temple, but this time the silvery filaments were long, thick, and very shiny; they stretched out from the wand and slowly sailed in the breeze. Touching the want to Peter’s temple, as he did the last two times, the silvery threads start their short trip into Peter’s mind.

Everything went black and quiet, and then Peter and Percy are standing in a house.

“Percy, this feels funny, why does my head hurt?”

“This memory is long and complicated, it takes me a few seconds to remove it from my mind and get it all into yours. Don’t worry, just a few more seconds.”


_____


Saturday evening, as Remus Lupin prepared to take the wolfsbane Potion, his wife brought him a plate of home made peanut butter fudge. She knew he hated the Potion and all it represented to him, but he had to take it if they were to remain together. The only consolation she could offer him was the tasty sweet to alleviate the Potion’s horrible taste.

“Is everything ready, dear?” Remus asked with another resigned sigh. He tried to calculate the number of times he had transformed and lost count around four hundred-fifty. Every month, just like clockwork, and all my old friends that would comfort me were dead. Even his wife could not be too close to him, locked in a heavily padded room in the basement for 1/30 of the rest of his life.

Each transformation was draining him, little by little. He knew that the average lifespan of a werewolf was only fifty to sixty years, so there was not a lot of time remaining. Would he live long enough to see his child go to Hogwarts? What would happen to Tonks when he was gone? Pointless thoughts! He chided himself for his weakness and drank down the revolting Potion, following it with a large piece of fudge as he tried not to gag.

Standing, he removed most of his clothes to prevent their inevitable destruction. Then handing the clothes to his wife, he kissed her and went into the basement. Only ten minutes to go. Bracing himself for the painful transformation, his wife locked the room as tears ran down his cheeks. Magic is a curse was his only thought. Then after a few minutes it started.


_____


Harry was looking for a distraction from the last two days with Ron and Hermione that same Saturday evening and decided to stop by and visit Hagrid. The old hut looked the same as the first time Harry saw it eight years ago. As he approached, he could see the tattered pink umbrella hanging from the coat rack inside the window and wondered why Hagrid had never petitioned for reinstatement after it was proven he was expelled unfairly. Well, it was a long time ago. With Dumbledore gone, he probably still did not have much of a chance.

Knocking on the door, Fang started his friendly guttural growl and bark, he could tell it was Harry and there was no viciousness to it. Hagrid opened the door and grabbed Harry, pulling him into a tight embrace then mussing his hair, not that it needed any more mussing.

“’ello, ‘arry. I got yer note. Come in, come on in. Will yer be ‘aving some tea tonight?” Hagrid’s perpetual love of life and cheerfulness had always been a source of amazement to Harry. Here was someone, very much like himself, who spat in the eye of anyone who would try to put him down. Smiling, Harry accepted and sat at the table while Hagrid got the tea ready.

“Hagrid, thanks for taking Ginny’s things up to school the other day.”

“Forget it, ‘arry, you know I’d do anything for ‘er. Professor Sprout tells me you’re engaged, I can’t tell yer ‘ow proud I’m of yer.” True to form, Hagrid started to rub his nose then wipe away his tears of joy so he could see.

“Thanks, Hagrid, sorry it took me so long to come over, I wasn’t expecting the job and between moving and Hermione’s pr...” Harry realized he did not know if Hagrid knew what had happened so he tried to change the subject. “...Hermione’s parents visiting, you know how it is.”

“Certainly, ‘arry.” Hagrid sat down with the two mugs of tea, one just right for him and one not much smaller than a bucket for Harry. “Want a rock cake, ‘arry?”

“Hagrid! How did you know that’s what we called them all those years?”

“Well, I ‘ave a little mouse that tells me stories. But no worries, ‘arry, she’s a right good cook, too. Taught me stuff, she did. ‘ere, try one o’ these.” Handing the plate of cakes across the table, Harry took one and tentatively bit into it, trying not to crack a tooth. It was delicious!

“Hagrid, these are wonderful, I mean, really wonderful!” Harry helped himself to another and Hagrid beamed.

“Well, I will be off now fer a while, ‘arry. Back in about an hour.”

Hagrid’s abrupt statement left Harry wondering if he had done something to offend him. “No, Hagrid, please stay, I came to visit with you.”

“Oh, I know, ‘arry. But she came to visit with YOU.” Stepping out of the doorway, Harry saw Ginny standing behind Hagrid, smiling. “So, you two, don’t go a wondering into the forest or nothin.’” Then Hagrid winked at Harry and left the hut.


_____


Hermione sat in the kitchen of the Burrow and sipped tea with Molly and Arthur. Ron had gone to the cellar to get some preserved peaches and beans for dinner the next day. But today had been long and difficult for Hermione, still recovering from the miscarriage and the “two stupid mistakes,” as she called them. She was ready for bed.

When they arrived early in the morning both could tell that Molly had not completely forgiven Ron for the pregnancy, and Hermione just assumed her displeasure would trickle down to her. She was correct, but Molly was not overtly hostile, just snappy in conversation and generally a pain in the bum. Ron actually told his mother off for bothering Hermione while she was resting. The family dynamics had certainly changed. Hermione thought as she tried to relax.

A long morning walk around the property was the first thing they did together after arriving. About half way through the walk they stopped and put their feet in the Fairling’s pond and rested in the shade. They talked about wedding plans and everything and nothing, just enjoying the solitude and each other. Hermione shared with Ron her awful trip home and how she never wanted to go back. Ron tried to listen passively but still ended up suggesting that she ”just give it time to heal.” A non-committal grunt was Hermione’s only response.

Walking to a nearby village, the couple looked into an old store and tried sweets called “rock candy.” Ron thought it good but Hermione said it was bad for the teeth. As they were heading back to the Burrow, Hermione ran into a friend of hers, Lydia Harrow, whom she had not seen since fifth grade. The sat at a nearby bench and talked about how she ended up in this part of the country and “old times” and “old friends”. When Lydia mentioned that three of their classmates were killed back in March under unexplained circumstances she and Ron shared a knowing look, suddenly aware of the war and all it had cost, Hermione said they were expected at Ron’s house for lunch and had to leave.

Ron thought that seeing an old friend might further cheer Hermione up, but it had the opposite effect. The reference to the obvious war deaths had brought back the terrible memories she had tried to put behind. As they finished their long walk, Ron attempted to distract her but all attempts failed to cheered her up.

The afternoon was a restful break from the heat and the bad memories Lydia had unintentionally rekindled. While Hermione was resting Ron told his parents that he and Hermione wanted to elope but would rather have a small wedding at the Burrow, if they approved.

“Hermione’s completely shut out her parents but still wants us and a few other guests to attend. It wouldn’t be right if the Lupin’s, McGonagall, Hagrid, and a few other school friends weren’t there.”

Arthur was all for the idea but Molly made a comment something like, “Well, you don’t have to do all the cooking and cleaning, so of course you’d like it here.”

Dinner was quiet and pleasant for the four plus George who had invited himself over, “Because Fred had a date tonight,” he explained. This revelation was enough to get Molly steaming again, but it did not last long. Eventually they all relaxed and had a fun game of exploding snap. Arthur, who had not told anyone about Percy was tense, but tried to act normal, patiently waiting for word from Shacklebolt.


_____


POP

“There ‘e is, Mr. Shacklebolt.”

“Shhh, Let me check, he looks like he’s doing something. Wands out, but don’t use them unless he attacks, right Williams?”

From the angle of the two Aurors Percy’s body was obscuring their view of Peter. Shacklebolt signaled Williams to move around toward Percy’s back. As Williams changed positions he saw Peter, and as he continued he saw Percy’s wand at the younger boy’s head with silver threads traveling between.

“Sir, he’s attacking the boy!” Pointing his wand at Percy, Williams shouted “Expelliarmus” at the same time Shacklebolt screamed “NO.” The disarming spell ran true, striking Percy in the back and throwing the wand into the air. As the wand tumbled back to the ground, the silvery threads thinned and lengthened until they broke with a loud TWANG, like a piano string breaking.

“WHAT DID YOU DO WILLIAMS?” Shacklebolt screamed as he ran toward the two still figures. “You NEVER stun when a memory transfer’s in progress. Go get the Healers and notify Arthur Weasley. NOW!

Williams had a look of death on his face when he realized what he had done. One of the basic principles of disarming, one of the first they teach wizards, is to NEVER break a memory thread. But it didn’t look like a memory, it was so thick! Standing in shock until he heard Shacklebolt scream “NOW!” Williams apparated to the Ministry building.

Even as Kingsley ran to Percy and the other boy, he knew it was too late; Percy fell to his side and rolled gently to the ground. His wand landed a few meters away with the silvery filaments of memory still trailing and squirming in the air, as if they were looking for a home. Stopping as he reached Percy, the senior Auror knew there was nothing he could do.

Percy Weasley was dead.