Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“What should we do?” Harry asked, more as a statement than a question, but it hung in the air; all three men were asking themselves the same thing. Moody was leaning back in his chair deep in thought; his magical eye unmoving and focused forward. Snape had a look on his face Harry had seldom seen: the look of frustration. After a long silence Snape spoke.

“Potter, is Ms. Granger still in the hallway?”

Harry had no idea, having left the dining hall with Moody right after Snape.

“I’ll check.” Getting up and walking to the door, Harry pulled it open and saw Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Rudy standing in the hallway. Rudy looked pale with fear and Ginny was trying to comfort him, but Ron and Hermione immediately started pelting Harry with questions.

Ignoring them, Harry pointed to Hermione, “Hermione, please come in.” Both disappeared into Snape’s office.

“Take a seat, Ms. Granger.” Snape instructed as soon as Hermione entered. “I would like you to find Professors Slughorn and Gerrianne and do some research for me...please.”

Then Snape took a few minutes to fill Hermione in on the situation. “I need you, and Gerrianne to immediately start investigating the history of Occlumency, particularly natural Occlumens. Slughorn should address the history of, and relationship between, Veritaserum and Occlumency. If either of them have a problem with your instructions please come to me at once. Also, please be prepared to report your initial findings back here at 8 o’clock this evening. You may go, Ms. Granger.”

Did Snape say “please?” Realizing the importance of the issue, Hermione acknowledged Snape’s request and left the office. Finding Ron in the hallway with Ginny and Rudy, she simply said, “Come with me, Ron.” And taking his hand they disappeared in the direction of the library.

“Mr. Potter, please take Mr. Keane and learn all you can about his family and any wizards or witches to whom he is related. I don’t expect anything remarkable, but make the effort; he has surprised us twice all ready.” Then turning to Mad-Eye, Snape finished, “Moody, please schedule time with Mr. Keane for private lessons beginning next week. I want you to pay careful attention to the times he uses Occlumency, perhaps there is a pattern that will shed some light on this. We shall meet back here at eight this evening to review anything you might have found. You may both go now.”

Leaving the Headmaster’s office, Harry approached Ginny and Rudy, both of whom looked deeply concerned; Rudy was near tears. Harry was trying to think of the best way to approach this problem and not frighten him. In the background they could hear Moody thumping his wooden leg down the hallway, muttering something to himself.

“Rudy, Ginny, let’s go back to the common room.” Hoping the familiar setting and Ginny’s presence would help Rudy calm down, the three made their way silently to the new east wing.

Upon reaching the Gryffindor common room Harry pointed to an empty corner where two sofas and some chairs sat, unoccupied. Next he called out, “Dobby, are you available?” Dobby appeared instantly in front of him.

“Yes, Mr. Harry Potter, sir. What can Dobby do for the great Harry Potter today?”

“Dobby, please have dinner served up here tonight for five, and before you head to the kitchen, please let Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley know that they should join us for the meal. Thank you Dobby.” With a smile and a snap of his fingers Dobby disappeared.

There were few students in the common room, but Harry pulled the seats closer together, so no loud talking would be required, and cast a silencing charm, just to be sure. He then had Ginny and Rudy sit on the sofa and seated himself on a chair opposite of them. Beginning with the conversation in Snape’s office, but without mention of the connections to Voldemort, Harry weaved around the parts of the conversation that would cause Rudy more anxiety. However, making a coherent story was difficult and he expected the lost looks he was seeing in Rudy’s face. After a half hour Harry finished and asked Rudy if he had any questions.

Rudy, throughout Harry’s explanation, became less fearful and more confused. Now with the opportunity to speak, Rudy started asking so many questions at once Harry had to slow him down. “Rudy, sit back and think for a minute, what concerns you most about what just happened?”

For the next hour Harry addressed every one of Rudy’s questions and asked a few of his own; but it was clear to him that Rudy was either an outstanding liar or truly had no clue about his magical abilities other than what he’d learned at Hogwarts. The last question Harry had for Rudy was concerning his family. The only known witch or wizard in his family was an uncle in the Ministry of Magical Education, Rudy informed Harry. Taking down the uncle’s name, Harry sent Rudy off for a break and talked with Ginny.

“Harry, what’s going on? Rudy was scared to death and told me that Snape had given him a truth Potion.” Harry felt he was being bombarded all over again. Ginny’s concern for the boy was apparent in her voice but Harry cut in and tried to calm her.

“Ginny, have you had the lessons on ‘Threads’ in the History of Magic yet?” Ginny shook her head and Harry continued, “’Threads’ is the name given to the spells, hexes, curses, and Potions that the four founders of Hogwarts each developed and perfected. Each of the founders created or taught their own particular thread of magic. Prior to this, all the know magic came from the last four chapters of The Story In The Runes, the ones Merlin handed down. Each spell that is not contained in The Story In The Runes has the signature of Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or Gryffindor, and the witch or wizard who has natural abilities in one of these spells is believed to be an heir to its founder.”

Harry let the meaning of this story sink into Ginny. After a moment she asked, “Harry, what was it Rudy did that made Snape so angry?”

“Remember last month when I was injured by Rudy’s spell? The spell he used was ‘Expelliarmus.’”

”Which thread?” By the tone of Ginny’s voice she already suspected the answer.

“Slytherin.”

“And today?”

“Occlumency, also Slytherin. But that’s not the whole story. When Snape was about to duel he tried to read Rudy’s mind and detect which spell he was preparing; when he couldn’t he knew Rudy was an Occlumen. Tonight in Snape’s office Rudy agreed to take the truth Potion and passed; he doesn’t even know he’s an Occlumen. Snape has Hermione researching this with Gerrianne and Slughorn. We’re meeting again this evening at eight to share what we have found.”

“Harry, if Rudy has these natural abilities that derive from Slytherin, why was he sorted to Griffindor?”

A very good question. “We don’t know. The sorting hat was damaged when the east wing collapsed, and the start of this term was the first time it was used since then. Maybe there’s something wrong with it, but...” Harry’s words did not even convince himself, Ginny’s face showed doubt, also.

“One other thing you need to know, and it’s not a good idea to spread this around. Natural Occlumens are unique; the only other know one was Salazar Slytherin himself. Snape’s fear is that Rudy’s abilities may make him more powerful than even Riddle.”

As soon as Harry said this he saw tears forming in Ginny’s eyes. “Harry, he CAN’T be, it’s impossible. I know the boy, Rudy’s not like that, and no evil witch or wizard has ever come from Gryffindor.”

“I know, Gin, I know.” Or have the rules just changed?


Shortly after six, Ron and Hermione joined Harry, Ginny, and Rudy in the Gryffindor common room for dinner. Hermione ate little, talked less, and left quickly, eager to return to the library. Ron stayed behind to talk with Harry for a few minutes; the Canons had a game the next morning and Ron was required to report in the night before. After being updated, and told not to spread around any of the days events, Ron walked to Hog House, gathered his gear, and Apparated to Chudley.

At 8 o’clock that evening Harry and Ginny waited outside Snape’s office. When the door opened, Snape looked up and down the hallway, presumably for Hermione and Moody. Then he motioned for Harry to come in.

“Headmaster, Ginny may be able to help answer any questions you might have about Rudy, she knows him well and…” But before Harry could finish Snape had already motioned for Ginny to enter also. Never having been in Snape’s office, Ginny felt intimidated; the odd collection of preserved flora and fauna gave the office an uncomfortable air of death; it was nothing at all like Dumbledore’s old office.

Harry pulled another chair up next to his own for Ginny and they sat.

“We shall start without Ms. Granger. What have you found?”

“Very little, sir. Rudy is completely bewildered by this entire situation. I honestly believe he has no notion of the implications of his abilities. I did try one very short probe when he was relaxed and eating dinner, just to see if his shield was up.”

Harry stopped here to gather his thoughts, but Snape’s impatience caused him to continue before he was ready. “Sir, I’m not sure what I sensed. I know from experience what a strong Occlumens shield is like,” Harry was referring here to his dealings with Voldemort and Snape, “but this wasn’t the same. There was resistance but I think that if I had probed harder I could have gotten through.”

“And why did you not probe harder?” Snape’s question was Harry’s question, also.

“I felt that I might hurt him, but it’s very hard to explain, sorry.”

Snape sat silently listening to Harry then made an unexpected statement. “I would like you try to use Legilimancy to read my thoughts.”

This statement was so odd that Harry looked at Ginny as if to say, did he say what I think he said? But Snape anticipated Harry’s confusion and added, “I would like you to try to recreate with me the same probe you used with the boy.”

Nodding, Harry closed his eyes to relax and focus, then he started.

“That’s enough Mr. Potter.” Snape said, almost immediately; Ginny though he was stopping the probe before it had even started. “Have you been working on your Legilimancy skills?”

“No sir. Why?”

Snape ignored Harry’s question. “Mr. Potter, may I attempt to probe you? I would like you to use all your skills to stop me.”

“Sure, but you know my Occlumency skills are nothing compared with yours.”

“Yes, still, I would like to try, if you will allow it.”

Harry nodded and prepared for the probe. However, nothing happened. After ten or fifteen seconds Harry looked up at Snape. “Sir, are you going to try now?” Snape’s only reply was a snort, and then there was a knock on the door.

“Come in, Ms. Granger.” Snape called. Hermione entered the room with a couple scrolls and a tablet of paper. “Please sit down and tell me what has been keeping you.”

“Sorry sir, I was deeply involved and lost track of the time.”

“Very well, you have not missed much. Is Professor Moody coming?”

“I passed him on the way sir, he was finishing a conversation with Professor Slughorn. He should be here any…” and they were again interrupted by a knock.

“Come in Moody.” Snape called. When Moody had limped over to the last empty seat Snape addressed him. “Potter and I have just completed an interesting experiment and Ms. Granger was about to tell us everything we didn’t know. But would you care to start off?” Snape’s sarcasm irritated Harry, and he was sure it had done the same to Hermione, but she did not seem flustered.

“Slughorn and I were comparing theories, and I’ll be happy to share it with you, but may I hear Hermione’s report first?” Snape said nothing, but looked toward Hermione as if he expected her to reply, so she did.

“Professor Gerrianne and I were able to record some good references for further research, but the school library contain none of the original source material, only copies, and copies of copies, many generations worth. I do have a suggestion, Professor Snape. If you would request from Minister Scrimgeour permission for me to look at some of the original texts I might be able to find more information.” Hermione could tell, even before she had finished her suggestion, that Snape was not happy with it.

“Why Scrimgeour? And why you?”

“Sir, I need the minister’s permission to view any original texts, that’s a ministry regulation. The only reason I suggested myself was because I’m here and there isn’t anyone else in the immediate area who can read runes except one of my coworkers. I wouldn’t be doing any significant translations, only surveys of the text’s topics.”

“These will all be in runes, can you read them well enough to be useful?”

“I believe so. I’m at level two which allows me to catalog.”

Snape accepted Hermione’s part of the plan, but he clearly did not want to involve Scrimgeour. “Very well, I will be sending a sufficiently vague request to the Minister as you suggested, but under the pretense of researching the school’s history for the continuing celebration of Hogwart’s one thousandth jubilee. I will rely on your proven resourcefulness to handle any questions that come your way; and for the time being I would prefer that this stay ‘in house.’” Hermione nodded her agreement.

“Now, back to my experiment with Mr. Potter. You should all be aware of the events last month and the ongoing investigation into their cause.” Snape was referring to the changes in Werewolves, magic induced maladies, and the general increase or decrease in spell effectiveness that had effected almost the entire wizarding world. “A few minutes ago I asked Potter if he would probe my mind, then I asked him to allow me to probe his. In the first test, Mr. Potter entered my mind with no difficulty. I stopped the test immediately because I do not think even he understood what he had done. Am I correct?”

Harry was confused and asked his own question, rather than answer Snape’s. “Why didn’t I see anything, sir?”

“Am I correct Potter?”

“Yes sir, I had no indication at all that I had entered your thoughts.”

“I believe, for whatever reason, that Mr. Potter’s Legilimancy skills have increased significantly, possibly due to the same phenomena that I just spoke about. As for your question, Mr. Potter, it is very common for people with strong Legilimancy skills to not realize they’ve entered another persons mind, simply because it is so easy. I stopped you before you had an opportunity to probe further. In the second experiment, where I attempted to read Potter’s thoughts, I stopped because I had come across the same resistance I have always felt with Mr. Potter, that is to say, very little.” Harry was sure Snape had phrased his comment that way as an insult, but he did not care, he was more concerned with Rudy.

Moody started speaking next. ”Severus, Legilimancy comes from Ravenclaw, but Potter was a Gryffindor. I’m not sure that we should assume the boy is…” here Moody chose his words carefully, “…necessarily destined to follow Tom Riddle’s path. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to the phenomena, at least when comparing Keane and Potter’s cases. Slughorn suspected as much, but lacking any proof he was unable to confirm his hypothesis. It looks like you and Harry have provided us with that proof, or some of it.”

“You may be correct, still, I believe we should inform the Ministry about these two cases, and I caution you both to control your classes. I will speak to the student body tomorrow and warn them against practicing untaught spells. Meanwhile, let’s see what Ms. Granger finds perhaps it will shed new light onto this problem.”


Walking with Ginny and Hermione to the library a few minutes later, Harry was steamed that Snape referred to his Legilimancy skills like they were a ‘problem.’ Ginny agreed. “You should think Snape would be happy for the extra talent in the faculty.”

“Oh, right. Since when has Snape been happy about anything concerning me? Especially something I might do better than him.”

Reaching the library, Hermione returned to her table and picked up a reference titled The Lost Magic of Godric Gryffindor. “Look here; I had just started to explore this when I had to go down to Snape’s office.” Then, showing a page to Harry, “Remember the pattern text I told you about? This is one of them.” The book showed a photograph of a piece of parchment upon which were thousands of rune characters. Hermione observed that Harry had brought the picture close to try and see the pattern, but with no luck. “Don’t feel bad, Harry, we had a similar text to catalog for our final exam. When the professor gave us four hours for the exam we thought it would be a waste of time. Shortly after starting the exam I realized that the pattern was like none I’d ever seen and it took me three hours to determine exactly how it formed. Once that was done, I could translate enough of the document to catalog it properly. Harry, it’s really all just a matter of experience and determination. Muggles have supercomputers for deciphering this stuff, but I’ll take this one any day.” Hermione was tapping her head with the blunt end of a pencil.

“Why are you looking at this particular book, Hermione?” Ginny was no more interested in runes than Harry, but how it might apply to Rudy was a concern to her.

“I’m trying to verify that spells in the Gryffindor thread had never been used prior to 953 A.D.; that’s about the time that the four founders of Hogwarts were born.” The implication was clear, if any of the spells not in the The Story In The Runes were being used before the births of Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin, then the entire concept of threads might be bogus.

Ginny was skeptical about this theory and said so. “Look Hermione, don’t you think that someone has looked at this already? Overlooking something of that magnitude would have serious consequences.”

“I know, Ginny, but everything I’ve found has no mention of when the later spells were created. I know it’s been a thousand years, but there should be something. That’s why I need to see the original source documents.” Hermione was starting to pack her things and Ginny gave her a hand; then the three walked back to the Gryffindor common room, looking for Rudy. After they had found him and said their goodbyes for the evening Harry and Hermione started back to Hogsmeade, talking about runes and the history of magic and how things were changing.

The next morning Hermione went to see Ron’s game and then to the Burrow to help Molly Weasley prepare dinner.


_____


Not far from Fudge’s office, in the Ministry of Magical Education, Tiernan Keane was reading a disturbing letter from Harry Potter concerning his nephew. Taking a quill and parchment, he wrote a brief reply and suggested a time to meet. He then fastened the note to Hedwig’s leg and sent her back.


_____


Hermione and Ron Apparated into the Burrow Saturday afternoon following the Canon’s Quidditch game. The Canons had lost again, though the score was closer than the first week, 300-210. Ron did not play but the team’s first string keeper was performing so poorly Hermione told him that it was just a matter of time. Trying to cheer Ron up further, Hermione suggested that they drop off their bags and go into town for dinner where it would be ”nice and quiet, just the two of us.” Ron was all for it, not relishing the idea of another evening with a lot of family. As they walked from the parlor to the kitchen they saw Remus sitting at the table and greeted him. However, when he turned his head they could tell something had happened.

“Remus, is something wrong?” Hermione asked, sitting on the chair next to him.

“Yeah, you look like you saw a ghost; what’s up?” Ron added.

“Tonks is in labor upstairs with Molly and Mrs. Fairling. Deborah was over here visiting Molly when Tonks’ water broke. I have a feeling she’s going to be shocked when she sees Molly use magic. I can’t find Daisy Tomlinson, our midwife...” Remus was interrupted by a cry from the next Floor; it sounded like Tonks. Remus froze, but Hermione jumped back up, gave Remus a hug, and told Ron to “take care of him while I go help.” Then she rushed up the stairs to see what she could do.

Ron sat down where Hermione had been sitting seconds before and put a hand on Remus’ shoulder, trying to offer comfort. Unfortunately for Remus, Ron was far more anxious about what was happening. Every minute or so they would hear Tonks scream again until it seemed that she was emitting one continuous wail. Finally Remus pulled out his wand and cast a silencing charm around the kitchen. It helped Ron immensely and he went off to find Pig and send a message to Harry.

Upstairs, Hermione walked into Bill’s old room to see Tonks on the bed with Mrs. Fairling up by her head, looking like she was coaching her to breath a certain way. Molly Weasley was down at the business end of the activity, her wand set out on the bed, but not being used.

“Mrs. Weasley, what can I do?” Hermione asked as soon as she got to her.

“Well, dear, first stay away from Nymphadora’s right fist, I’ve already met it once.” Molly turned to show Hermione a swollen purple ring around her right eye. Then whispering to Hermione, “I don’t want to let Deborah see me use magic unless it’s absolutely necessary.” Trying to determine what could be more necessary than this confounded Hermione, but she stood and watched.

“I can Apparate into town and see if I can find a doctor.”

“No, no, don’t bother; see, here comes the baby’s head.” Hermione looked toward Tonks and she heard Deborah Fairling say “Take a big breath, hold it, and push for my count of ten. Now! One, two, three, four, you’re doing wonderfully.” Tonks’ face was red and had a look Hermione had never seen on another person, but then she looked down at Molly’s hands and saw the head of a baby slowly exiting the birth canal. “Seven, eight, nine, t…” Then another scream from Tonks startled Hermione. Gasping for breath, the woman who was about to become a mother looked over at Hermione. “Hey, kid, wait till it’s your turn.” Then Tonks’ eyes rolled up and back as Deborah started the count over again. When she had reached seven, Hermione saw the most amazing sight; Tonks’ swollen abdomen suddenly shrank and the baby slid out of the mother into Molly Weasley’s waiting hands, filling the room with the cry of a newborn child.

Hermione was frozen in place by what she saw. In the two minutes she had been in the room, Tonks had gone from screams of agony, to cracking a joke, to a mother with a smile no one could possibly describe. She was asking for the baby, trying to sit up and see the newborn. Molly was cleaning the child and had given up trying to place a clothespin on the umbilical cord; she took her wand and said something that sounded foreign and a perfectly cauterized separation was made.

“Well dear, do you have a name for your new son?” Then holding the baby up wrapped in the blanket, Molly set the boy on his mother’s chest and in his mother’s arms. Suddenly Hermione found herself crying with an emotion she had never experienced. There was a lump in her throat and she felt quite the opposite of having lost a loved one; it was certainly not a feeling of sadness. Molly and Mrs. Fairling crying, too. Then she realized that her tears were for the joy of birth and life; it was something she had always equated to God alone.

Suddenly Daisy Tomlinson burst into the room and after surveying the scene said, “You hardly needed me at all!” Then she went to take care of the afterbirth and check for hemorrhaging, but everything was fine.

Hermione was standing, watching Tonks and the baby, thinking about the child she had lost; but that feeling of loss had just been turned into a feeling of longing; her emptiness was gone.

Tonks had pulled her jumper up exposing her breast to the infant, and with no encouragement, he turned toward it and found the nipple, latched on, and started nursing. Tonks was completely entranced with the child but looked up after a minute. “Where’s Remus?”

All four women attending Tonks looked at each other with an oh my heavens! expression, but it was Hermione who ran out and called down the stairs for Remus and Ron. Not hearing a reply she dashed to the kitchen and told them to come upstairs. As Remus left Arthur came in the house and Hermione told him in on what was happening. He had been visiting with Gerry Fairling the past few hours and missed all the excitement. Then throwing her arms around Ron, who did not look terribly thrilled with the idea of seeing a two minute old baby, she kissed him. “Ron, you won’t believe what just happened, you have to see this!” And dragging him up the stairs Hermione pushed him into the room, following closely behind.

A few minutes later, Daisy chased the growing crowd out of the room for a few minutes so Remus and Tonks could be alone. While waiting in the hallway, a smiling Deborah Fairling walked over to Molly Weasley, “Molly, why on earth didn’t you use one of those magic spells of yours to help her with the birth? I’m certain you know more than the one you used to cauterize the cord.”

Molly’s mouth opened like a trunk and she stammered, “Y-y-you knew? How did you know?”

“Molly, we’ve lived next to you for over twenty years. But I think we started to becoming suspicious when Arthur showed Gerry his collection of electric plugs and used batteries. Also, the twins buzzing our house on brooms was a good tip. But don’t worry, your secret is safe with us.”

When the door to Bill’s old room opened again, Remus walked out with his new son to formally introduce him to his family. “Well, this has certainly been an eventful year. I would like you all to meet our new son, James William Lupin.”


_____


How the devil can they stand wearing these clothes all the time? Cornelius Fudge adjusted his tie and jacket for the tenth time causing Kingsley Shacklebolt to suppress another laugh. As an Auror, Shacklebolt had to blend in with Muggles so he was used to typical Muggle garb. Fudge, on the other hand...

The two men arrived outside Peter Martin’s house, ready to take them to 10 Downing Street for a brief meeting with Prime Minister Thompson, before heading to St. Mungo’s. Ringing the front door bell, Fudge prepared himself.

“Good morning. My name is Cornelius Fudge, my colleague is Kingsley Shacklebolt, we’re here at the request of Prime Minister Thompson. This concerns your son; may we step in for just a minute?

Terry Martin opened the front door and called out for her husband, Tom. Then inviting Fudge and Shacklebolt into the parlor the two parents started inquiring about Thompson and why he had sent them. “Well, you know, the Prime Minister is interested in your case. He has asked us to come by and bring you to Downing Street; he has some news for you. Would you be able to leave in a few minutes?”

“Have you found Peter?” The boy’s mother asked first. “Is he ok?”

“Yes Mrs. Martin, we have found Peter, he’s in a local hospital. Could you come with us, please?”

“Certainly, I’ll grab the coats.” This time it was Mr. Martin speaking.


Thirty minutes later, Fudge, Shacklebolt and the Martins exited a cab outside of 10 Downing Street. Fudge handed a note to the guard and in a few seconds the door opened and they were invited into the residence. After a short interval where they removed their coats and passed through a security checkpoint, the four were escorted to the lobby of the Prime Minister’s suite. When they were all present, the secretary called Thompson and told him that his guests were ready. Then the outer office doors opened.

“Mrs. Martin, a pleasure to meet you. Tom, good to see you again. Please come in and have a seat.”

“Brian, what’s this all about? Your two men wouldn’t say anything about this development.” This time Tom Martin was speaking. “Where is Peter?”

“Please have a seat. We’ve had Peter in a local hospital for quite a while, but he was carrying no ID so we weren’t certain who he was. We found his identity quite by accident. I’m sure you’d like to see him as soon as practical.”

“Yes Mr. Prime Minister. And why are you so involved?”

Fudge answered the question for Thompson. “Mr. Martin, I have a story to tell you that will take a few minutes. Your son was injured when...”


A half hour later, both of Peter’s parents were wondering if the last few weeks had been a dream. If it had not been for the Prime Minister’s involvement and a few demonstrations by Fudge, Tom and Terry may have left to find the police. Fudge’s promise to take them to their son finally calmed them down enough to proceed, but Fudge gave them a stern warning: “You must understand the situation this puts us in. When today is over you may not visit with your son again until he recovers or...well, is this understood? Good. In addition, you understand that you have promised secrecy? Very well then, let us proceed.”

The five stood up and followed Fudge to the center of the room where he took out his wand, and pointing to a chair said “Portus.” The chair glowed brightly for a few seconds, and then Shacklebolt touched it and disappeared. The Martin’s were instructed to do the same thing, along with the Prime Minister, finally ending the procession with Fudge.

As the Martin’s eyes focused on the large building in front of them, Fudge appeared and instructed them to follow. A few minutes later they were in the ward with Peter and Percy. Tom Martin stood at the foot of his son’s bed while his wife held her son’s head crying, and trying to speak with him. Fudge and Shacklebolt left the room and Thompson followed them a few minutes later.

After about a half hour Tom Martin motioned for the three men outside the room to come in. “Who is this other person in the room? He looks like he is in the same condition as Peter.”

“He is. In fact, this is the young wizard who was sharing a memory with Peter when the accident happened. His name is Percy Weasley, and I’m afraid his chances for recover are nil. In fact, had your son been a wizard he would have been in the same state. We are still considering other treatments for Peter but I must be honest with you, his prospects for a full recovery are not promising. I’m truly sorry.”

After sitting with their son another hour, the Martin’s told Fudge that they were ready to go. “Thank you for showing us this. You will inform us should there be any change?”

“Yes, of course, and we will hope for the best.” Fudge tried to sound upbeat, but he also knew he did not succeed. The boy’s parents walked away, both weeping now; Fudge wondered if letting them know their son’s fate had been wise.

_____


In the office of the Master Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, an elderly woman named Olga Windshine sat reading a memo from the Healer who was working on the Weasley/Martin case. Reading the memo she muttered, “Reckless, dangerous and reckless...” But she had to admit that no other idea was as promising.



A/N: About Molly Weasley’s black eye: Labor occurs in three stages. The first is contractions and dialation of the cervix, the second is the birth of the child, and the third is the delivery of the placenta. The last part of stage 1 is called “Transition.” During transition the mother’s cervix completes dilation; this part is also very intense and some women lash out, physically, if someone interrupts their concentration.