Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes
A “Fan Fiction” Based on the Harry Potter Series By J. K. Rowling

Chapter 23 “ Commitments and Smiles

Please R&R, it makes for better stories!



Dawn, on the day of Ron and Hermione’s wedding, was clear and chilly. A high temperature of 7 degrees was expected and little or no wind. Arthur was up at 5 o’clock checking the tents and starting the heaters. Molly came down to the kitchen shortly after that and started breakfast. By six-thirty the entire house was up, even the four “kids” - all dragging and looking bushed. Molly set a variety of Potions on the table; Hang-over Helper, Pepper-up, and two others Harry had never seen. While trying to focus on the label of one, through his bleary eyes, Harry got as far as C-O-N-T-R…. before Molly walked by and took it out of his hand.

“Sorry, dear, wrong one.” She handed it to Hermione.

Ron was pouring hot chocolate for everyone when Fred and George burst into the kitchen. Looking like they were going hunting, but wearing only swim trunks, the twins started pulling Harry and Ron out of their chairs.

“Come on Harry.” Fred sang as he pulled Harry.

“Come on, ickle Ronni-kins” George “sang,” though clearly he did not have the vocal talent in the family.

“Oh nooo, what now?” Ron managed to moan.

“We’re off to the Fairling’s pond. No, no, mother, don’t worry. We spoke with the head man yesterday and he gave us his approval.”

“Approval? Approval for what?” Their mother asked, jaw clenched and face scowling.

Fred and George released their charges and sang together, “The Polar Bear Club.”

Fred continued the explanation. “It’s a quirky Yank tradition. You get up one winter morning and take a dip in a local water hole. But we’re luckier than most, the Fairling’s pond is spring fed so it remains a constant twenty-one degrees.”

“Absolutely NOT, I forbid it. You’ll all catch your death.”

Just then everyone heard Mr. Weasley pounce down the stairs. He was wearing trainers and his green and red robe. “Nonsense, Molly, I set up a tent with a heater, and Gerry will be joining us, too.”

“There, mum, see. We’ll be all snug with dad.”

Harry and Ron, who were usually game for this sort of activity, started dragging themselves back to the table.

“Ohhh, no you don’t Harry. If you’re going to marry my daughter then you’re going to have to join the family tradition.” Arthur proclaimed.

“What ‘family tradition,’ Arthur?”

“Well, dear, it’s new, actually.”

Harry looked over to Ginny. “Sorry Gin, the wedding’s off.” And he plopped back into his chair, followed by Ron.

Fred, George, and Arthur faced Molly, Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione; it did not look good for the Polar Bear Club that morning. Just as they was about to give up a knock came from the back door and the perpetual squeak of the door’s hinges announced the entry of Remus Lupin. “Hey, what’s going on? Arthur, you said 7 o’clock, right?”

“Yes, Remus, but we have a bunch of party-poopers here.”

“I see.” Remus paused for a moment. “I didn’t want to do this. Ron, Harry, come with me.”

Remus walked toward the parlor; after exchanging glances, Ron and Harry followed after him. When the three of them had moved to the far side of the room Remus told them his secret.

“Harry? Ron? Go get your suits or I’ll have to speak the Arthur and Molly about your recent intimate activities.” Remus stood there with an evil grin on his face.

“What? That’s no fair, Remus, I’m getting married today, what does it matter if Hermione and I got a little head start?” Seeing that Lupin had not changed his expression, Ron looked to Harry.

“Yeah, Ron, but I’m not getting married today. Let’s get changed. Hey Remus, how did you know?” Again, no answer. The two dejected friends walked out of the parlor. Remus could tell when they reached the stairs, Fred and George started cheering. My, my, Lupin. You are GOOD!

A couple minutes later they returned with towels and waved goodbye to the women. But Arthur stopped everyone. “Say, Molly, why don’t you and the girls join us? It’ll be fun.”

“Ahem.”

“Yes Fred?”

“Dad, the Polar Bear Club swims in the buff.”

IT DOES? Oh, that’s right. Well…”

“Hermione can join us.”

“George, I’m going to hex you into next year. Where’s my wand?

“Sorry, GinGin…you can come, too.”

“No, I don’t think so, George.”

OUT.” Molly yelled. “And be back soon!”


Harry found the cold, still morning air was actually refreshing, it certainly cleared his head. How the devil did Remus know? He could have seen Ron and Hermione through the windows, but not Ginny and me. About half way to the pond Harry motioned for Ron to drop back with him.

Remus, who was taking up the rear to prevent defections, was looking at Ron and Harry mischeviously.

“Ok, Remus, how did you know?” Asked Harry.

“Know what?” Remus put on an innocent face.

“Know that me and Ginny were…”

“Hmmm? What’s that, Harry?” Remus’ face remained the same.

Suddenly Ron started laughing at Harry, he had just figured out exactly how Remus “knew” what they had done. “REMUS, YOU WANKER!

“Something wrong, Ron?”

“You knew because we told you.” Ron started laughing again, but Harry had no idea what was going on.

“Harry,” Ron finally stopped laughing and filled him in, “Remus never saw anything. I suspect, though, that from HIS OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE he had an idea what I was doing.” Remus had a sly smile spreading across his face. “You just helped him along with that admission of yours.” Ron was shaking his head and started laughing again.

“Moony, is Ron right?”

Remus just continued smiling and picked up his pace.

I have seen the enemy, and he is us.” Harry muttered to himself.


_____


By noon the guests had all arrived. The ceremony tent, the largest of the three, was warm and full of the cheerful sounds of celebration. Harry stood at the back of the tent with Ron, Fred, and George, waiting for the signal from Ron’s parents to begin. Leaning over to Harry, Ron asked, “Remember what we were doing twelve hours ago?”

Harry kept a straight face and replied, “Ron, I thought you’d be thinking of what you will be doing twelve hours from now.”

Ron cracked up, laughing so loudly some of the guests near them turned to see what was so amusing. Then hearing a muffled laugh, Harry looked behind him, he forgot Fred and George were behind him. There they stood, about to burst out in laughter.

Harry finally saw the signal from Molly and elbowed Ron; they both walked up the center aisle and faced the crowd, which had become completely silent. As the wizarding tradition required, Harry, as the best man, turned to Ron and held his hand out. Ron turned and handed Harry his wand which he placed in his robe pocket.

Of all the marriage traditions in the wizarding world, this was the only one Hermione had insisted upon. The legends of Merlin and the first wizards said that the man taking a bride must do so without the use of magic, and be able to defend her without his wand during the ceremony. It was believed that this tradition dated back to the times when the wizarding world and the Muggle world were one, and intermarriage was common. Ron scoffed at it in Harry’s presence, but Harry found it interesting that this tradition had survived all the rifts between the two worlds.

With the wand ceremony complete, Fred nodded to the classical guitarist, the only source of music in the ceremony, and he began a formal number.

George opened the canopy doors and Ginny entered the tent first. This was the first time Harry had seen her since breakfast and she took his breath away, literally. Harry knew there was a Muggle tradition that the maid or matron of honor should not outshine the bride, but Harry was wondering what could surpass his fiancé. “Close you mouth, Harry.” Ron whispered. Indeed, Harry’s jaw had dropped and Ginny had seen him, her smile becoming even brighter.

Following Ginny was Fred, George, and Patty Lee, Hermione’s friend from work. The Muggle tradition of a bridesmaid for each groom’s man was not typically used in the wizarding world. Molly had questioned Hermione about this but she only wanted Ginny and Patty.

After Fred and George, Molly walked slowly up the aisle and stopped half way up. Then Arthur Weasley escorted Hermione in and the crowd stood. Any worries Harry might have had about Ginny outshining Hermione were instantly dashed. Not only did Hermione look beautiful, she looked resplendent. Harry heard Ron utter the same gasp he had moments before with Ginny. The combination of a traditional white gown, and Hermione’s brown eyes and hair unhidden by a hat or veil, and the natural blush in her cheeks was stunning. Harry thought it might have been the only time in his life he saw someone more beautiful than Ginny, but then he remembered, Hermione wasn’t more beautiful, just different. As Arthur and Hermione walked up the aisle to Molly, Harry took hold of Ron’s arm. He did not need to say anything, the touch all he needed to convey a “well done!”

As the father-in-law to be met his wife, the three stood there and waited as Ron walked down the aisle to meet them. Traditionally, this was the spot where the bride’s parents “gave” their daughter to the groom, but under Hermione’s circumstances Molly and Arthur performed the duty. Giving Ron’s parents each a kiss, she turned to Ron and took his arm to approach the front of the tent.

The rest of the ceremony was complete a few minutes later and Harry walked to the center of the platform, followed by Ginny, to make the traditional closing statements.

“On behalf of Ron and Hermione, I would like to thank you for sharing in their celebration. Ginny?”

“This is not the end of a ceremony, it’s the beginning of a celebration. Please join me in welcoming, for the first time, Ron and Hermione Weasley.”

Harry and Ginny stepped aside to let Ron and Hermione walk forward. As they reached the front of the platform, the wedding party began clapping and was joined by the rest of the guests. Then Ron took his new wife’s hand and led her down the aisle. Harry and Ginny stood side-by-side, clapping. As the newlyweds reached the back of the tent, the remainder of the wedding party followed. Finally, Ginny took Harry’s hand and they walked toward the back of the tent.

“Think you can wait ten more months?” She asked Harry.

“Ten minutes seems difficult right now, Gin.” Reaching the rear of the tent, Harry placed his arm around Ginny and began directing the guests to the reception.


Late that afternoon, Harry walked with Ron from the tent to the Burrow. The two friends were silent, exhausted, and thrilled by the day’s events. Harry’s mind was jumping from one thought to another; Ron, Hermione, Ginny, school, his own wedding. But Ron appears fairly well focused. Harry observed amusedly.

“Well, Ron, this is it, eh?”

“Yeah, Harry. We’ll see you and Ginny next Saturday night for dinner, right?”

“Sure. Look, Ginny and I will be at the house tomorrow, cleaning and stuff...”

“’And stuff?’” Ron stopped and smiled at Harry’s slip of the tongue.

“Yeah, and stuff, Ron. Look, I’ll leave the lease on the kitchen table, you and Maya will have to sign it and send it back to Higgins & Bratt. Anything else we can do for you?”

Ron’s head was down for a moment, thinking; when he looked up he had a silly look on his face. “Nah, I think we’re all set. Pig can find us if there’s an emergency.” They both knew there would be no emergency.

“Sure you don’t want to let us know where you’re headed to?” The fact that Ron and Hermione had kept their honeymoon location a secret for so long was becoming an overnight legend at the Burrow.

“You joking, Harry? With Fred and George as brothers? I made Maya swear not to tell anyone.” Both friends laughed. Finally, Ron held his hand out for Harry who took it with both of his, then pulled Ron into an embrace. “Harry, there is one thing you could do for me.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“Hermione told me that she and Ginny had a talk last night, I mean this morning, about what happened between you two last August. I guess Ginny’s pretty angry with her. Could you talk to her?”

“Sure, Ron. I wouldn’t worry about it, they looked fine together all day.”

“Ok, mate. Well, we’re off.”

“See you.” Harry watched Ron walk into the house and turned to go back to the party.


As Ron and Harry were saying their good byes, the girls were in Bill’s old room checking to see that Hermione had everything. The day had started off with a chill between the two friends, but Ginny put aside her irritation at Hermione, until now.

“Look, Hermione, about last night. I’m sorry I brushed you...”

“Ginny, stop it. It was my fault completely. Did Harry tell you what he did to me Sunday when we went for that walk?”

“What do you mean ‘what he did to you?’”

“It’s not like that, Gin. Harry used legilimency to look inside my very messed-up head.”

“What? I...” But Ginny couldn’t find the right words to say.

“Ginny, Harry did it to show me where Ron stood in my life. There is nothing, absolutely nothing inappropriate between Harry and me. What I did back in August was a cry for help, not an attempt on Harry. Pleased believe me.”

Ginny did believe Hermione, but hesitated before answering. “Yeah, ok, I believe you. Thank you for telling me that.” Then, as if nothing had happened, Ginny hugged Hermione, kissed her cheek, and ushered her out the door. “I’ll see you next week, Maya. Have a wonderful time.” And Hermione went off to find Ron.


Late that evening, the remaining Weasley’s, the Fairlings, and Harry sat in the parlor. Over the past half hour everyone except Gerry and Deborah Fairling has changed back in to comfortable clothes. There was little talk, mostly everyone was tired. The noise from the kitchen, however, was causing Molly to jump every so often. Dobby and Winky had insisted that they clean up and Arthur insisted that Molly let them.

Once, Molly had looked into the kitchen and instantly wished she had not. There were piles of plates, some two meters high and leaning precariously against a cabinet or chair. The sink was overflowing an enormous mountain of suds; Winky’s legs could be seen entering them, but that was all. Every so ofter a plate would come flying out of the suds and Dobby would grab it, wipe it off, and place it into a stack of clean dishes.

“Molly, dear, let them do the work.” Arthur said, soothingly rubbing Molly’s shoulders and leding her back into the parlor.

“I say, Molly,” Gerry Fairling spoke up to distract her from the noises in the other room, “those two kids made a lovely couple, didn’t they?”

“Oh yes, Gerry, I can’t believe our youngest son is the first married.” Molly was dabbing her eyes with a tissue.

“Yes, Fred and George are lively ones, but they’ll settle down, I’m sure.” Then looking over to Arthur, who had picked up something to read. “What’s that you have there Art?”

ART? You could tell all the Weasley’s present had never heard Arthur called that.

After a few seconds, Arthur turned the paper over as if he were expecting, or hoping, that there was something on the other side. “Ger, it’s a copy of something Cornileus Fudge, a, uh, coworker of mine, gave me yesterday.”

“Dear! WHAT did that man want coming here?” Molly exclained, instantly defensive; her face had changed its expression from concern (about the dishes) to anger.

“Well, it seams that Peter Martin, that boy injured with Percy, kept a journal. Fudge got hold of a couple pages of it and gave it to me.”

“What does it say, Arthur?” Molly was not sure if she wanted to know, especially after seeing her husband’s face.

“Ah, maybe we should go. This looks like a family matter. Art, Molly, Thank...”

“Sit down, Gerry. You two don’t know about our older sons.”

“You have more sons? What, when?...” Deborah looked totally surprised, as did Gerry.

“Yes, we do, or rather we did.” Molly said, solemnly.

Harry saw a tear run down the side of Mr. Weasley’s face. Then Arthur turned to Harry and asked him to read the two short paragraphs.

“Oh, no.” Was the only thing Harry could say after reading it. The others jumped up and took the paper from Harry, each reading it quietly to themself.

“I’m so sorry, Molly,” Arthur said, looking at his stricken wife, “I had no idea it would be something like this.” Then he turned to Gerry and Deborah and started telling them about Charlie, Bill, and Percy. Ginny left the room almost immediately, but Harry stayed behind; there were many details of the final battle he had never been told, and the two oldest Weasley’s role was part of them.

When Arthur finished the story, with some of the missing pieces now filled in, courtesy of Peter Martin, Gerry got up and walked over to Arthur and put a hand on his shoulder. “I’m so sorry, Art.” Deborah had already done the same thing with Molly. Fred and George just looked grim. Harry got up and left the room, heading upstairs.

“Mom, dad, I think Fred and I will head home now. We will be back in the morning to help clean up.” The twins stood up, and as a courtesy to the Fairling’s, left the room before apparating to their flat.

Molly looked at the three remaining adults. “Arthur, would you walk me to Bill and Charlie’s grave?” With a sad look on his face, Arthur crossed the room to his wife and led her to the back door. The Fairling’s followed at a proper distance. All four visited the site for a few minutes; Molly looked empty and drained, but she wasn’t crying. After a while the Fairling’s excused themselves and headed home, the Weasley’s following shortly thereafter.

Re-entering the kitchen, Molly saw that the mess from earlier was completely cleaned up, Dobby was just finishing wiping off the counter. “Arthur, I’m going to bed now.”

“Certainly, dear, I’ll go up with you.” Walking up the steps together, Molly tapped on Ginny’s door to say “good night,” but received no reply. Opening the door she looked inside and saw the room empty.

“Arthur, would you go up to Ron’s room and tell Ginny to go to bed?”

Arthur though for a second, sighed, and whispered, “No, dear, let them be together tonight.” Then he led his wife off to their room. Molly didn’t protest, this one time.

An hour later, Ginny woke up in Ron’s bed and noticed Harry sleeping in the chair. Waking him, she led him to his bed, kissed him good night, and left Ron’s room for her own.


_____


By 4 o’clock Sunday morning, Ron and Hermione had fallen asleep in each other’s arms. Sleeping in until almost eleven, Hermione woke up first and went to the loo, then to the kitchenette in their room. Pushing a button on the coffee maker, as the directions indicated, the machine started gurgling and spitting out coffee. The noise was loud enough to wake Ron.

“Sorry, Ron. I didn’t know it was going to be so loud.”

“No worries, Maya.” Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Ron smiled as he looked at Hermione. “When did you get that outfit? It looks great on you.”

Hermione walked back to the bed, leaned over and kissed Ron. “I’ve had it on all my life.”